Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends. This will be a new place to share our tasteful finds.

Each week, share your finds of tastefulness or mirth. Defend your odd choices. I know you bitches will have a mouthful of misgivings, a swallow of sorrow. Let's start, shall we?

This is a 20's Craftsman in Ridgefield, CT. Tell me why you hate it, because I think it's mostly perfect.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51May 18, 2019 2:01 AM

Redding, Ridgefield. Same Lululemons and grande caramel machiattos.

by Anonymousreply 1May 12, 2019 6:25 AM

It looks like a lovely wooded home to be murdered in.

pass

by Anonymousreply 2May 12, 2019 6:26 AM

Saw it. It's a wreck

by Anonymousreply 3May 12, 2019 6:28 AM

Ha. I must ask you, R2, why so many people worry about having a bit more land. Are you honestly nervous?

by Anonymousreply 4May 12, 2019 6:29 AM

I couldn't let my bare feet touch the linoleum floor in those bathrooms. It's hard to look at. There's some potential.

by Anonymousreply 5May 12, 2019 6:31 AM

If it's a wreck, why not renovate? Are we gays prone to leaving the good ones aside for freshly done?

by Anonymousreply 6May 12, 2019 6:33 AM

I like it. But 3000sqft is too much of a house for me.

by Anonymousreply 7May 12, 2019 6:35 AM

It looks remote, r4.

I am a city guy. I need people around me.

by Anonymousreply 8May 12, 2019 6:42 AM

I get it , but man, So limiting. Do you not go on vacations where you aren't cheek by jowl? I don't really understand, I guess, R8.

by Anonymousreply 9May 12, 2019 6:50 AM

I'll chime in with this gem. I like it, but I'm sure most won't. I like the idea of Cocoa Beach. I like the crowds, the space history. Astronaut's wives would stay in beach houses while in town for launches. This is exactly what I imagined an astronaut's wive's beach house would look like. I hope it doesn't get torn down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 12, 2019 6:52 AM

That is not a Craftsman style. Fail.

by Anonymousreply 11May 12, 2019 6:55 AM

I would hate to have neighbors so close to me, R10.

by Anonymousreply 12May 12, 2019 6:59 AM

Ve like the lions, da?! LIONS!

Lots and lots and lots of LIONS…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 12, 2019 7:03 AM

r9, I hat vacations. Sometimes I have weekends where I do not turn off the alarm.

I love staying home. I live a suburban lifestyle. Lots of land and house too big do not interest me.

by Anonymousreply 14May 12, 2019 7:03 AM

R11, you are obviously unaware of a true English Craftsman. It is not a Craftsman bungalow typical of US building. Go back to school, you troglodyte. The apartment is quite something.Hope it survives.

by Anonymousreply 15May 12, 2019 7:05 AM

Sorry, R13. It's tastefulish i don't have much to yell at.

by Anonymousreply 16May 12, 2019 7:07 AM

Years ago I had new neighbors move in down the street and they added two large stone lions to the front porch, almost life sized. Their porch has slowly collapsed under the weight of these statues. It really compliments their Escalade.

by Anonymousreply 17May 12, 2019 7:15 AM

here's a tasteful find: https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/20261860/1-bedroom-condo-3405-1077-w-cordova-street-vancouver xoxo

by Anonymousreply 18May 12, 2019 7:15 AM

oops

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19May 12, 2019 7:15 AM

OP, I love your find! Lovely old house, with hardwoods and fireplaces in the bedrooms, and shit-tons of shelving and storage space. If I needed a huge old house in the woods, I'd have a look!

The one drawback of the place seems to be that the driveway includes a bridge over a lovely babbling brook. Where I live, that'd mean a risk of spring flooding and a possibility of being cut off from everything until the water goes down, or someone builds a new bridge.

by Anonymousreply 20May 12, 2019 8:17 AM

Love the house .. to visit.

by Anonymousreply 21May 12, 2019 8:42 AM

R15, if anything it's Arts and Craft- there is no English Craftsman you fucking retard.. .

by Anonymousreply 22May 12, 2019 9:05 AM

Fifth Avenue maisonette formerly owned by Sister Parish and Patricia Altschul

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 12, 2019 9:14 AM

Cocoa Beach, hell no. In fact, hell nowhere town.

by Anonymousreply 24May 12, 2019 9:28 AM

Poverty Hollow Rd : the name is not acceptable and would have to be changed. Also, I am not interested in rooms under the eaves with slanty ceilings to bang my head on. Gays in a place like this would be the target for local yahoos late at night, esp fridays and saturdays when the bars close so better have good security (including guns). The waterfall would be attractive, save for the flooding every couple of years. The shack thing in the yard would have to be rebuilt, as would much of the house. The current heating arrangements look haphazard and expensive to run. Pass.

by Anonymousreply 25May 12, 2019 10:15 AM

The CT house looks extremely cold. Has it been insulated - walls, floors, ceilings? New windows? Are any of the fireplaces safe and also easy to seal from drafts? Coco beach house is ugly but seems functional - but storms? The maisonette - I could have death with the mirrored ceilings as a young man but now nowadays. They are well done though.

by Anonymousreply 26May 12, 2019 10:20 AM

The mirrored ceilings are pure vandalism in a wood-paneled room like that. Who is that elder gay with her turquoise Kafhtan, beads and teatime-martini? She certainly sets the tone. The real killer is that this place is featured in the NYP, under a feature called "gimme shelter" - vulgar, vulgar, vulgar.

by Anonymousreply 27May 12, 2019 10:32 AM

It's a beautiful old home, but it looks like it requires heavy duty maintenance to keep it so. But that street name is ridiculous. I can't believe the people who live on it haven't petitioned to have the name changed. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would forego buying a house simply because they didn't want people to know they lived on "Poverty Hollow Rd.".

by Anonymousreply 28May 12, 2019 10:36 AM

Poverty Hollow Road is almost as bad as Jackass Lane.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29May 12, 2019 10:49 AM

Maybe the Road name keeps taxes down.

by Anonymousreply 30May 12, 2019 10:55 AM

Do we really want to create a monster real estate thread? What was wrong with the individual threads?

Mixing all these properties together is going to create a clusterfuck of rare proportions.

by Anonymousreply 31May 12, 2019 10:58 AM

Agreed, R31.

by Anonymousreply 32May 12, 2019 11:01 AM

"You asked for interior design? You got it -- in spades!

by Anonymousreply 33May 12, 2019 11:04 AM

Ditto, R31. No one else thinks it’s a good idea either, that’s why OP is having to do the heavy lifting and post over and over to keep the thread alive.

by Anonymousreply 34May 12, 2019 11:57 AM

Thread dead.

by Anonymousreply 35May 12, 2019 12:13 PM

Original OP house= "Storybook Style".

by Anonymousreply 36May 12, 2019 1:55 PM

How's Grindr in that area? How much room for caftan storage

by Anonymousreply 37May 12, 2019 3:22 PM

CT really has some stunning old houses. And for the Northeast, not crazy prices. Needs fixing but I love it as a weekend house. The road name is horrible - but adds kitsch appeal.

by Anonymousreply 38May 12, 2019 4:00 PM

Ridgefield CT is just over the border from Waccabuc, NY, where we spent many happy childhood summer vacatia days.

by Anonymousreply 39May 12, 2019 4:24 PM

[quote] It really compliments their Escalade.

Your porch can talk? And it's into cars?

by Anonymousreply 40May 12, 2019 4:43 PM

R37 There's no signal there - it's the boondocks. The smokehouse (shack) in the yard should be big enough even for your large collection of outsize caftans!

by Anonymousreply 41May 12, 2019 5:01 PM

How presumptuous of you, OP. Discussing multiple homes in a single thread is bound to be a confusing mess. This shall not be the place for all our tasteful (and questionable) finds.

Fail.

by Anonymousreply 42May 12, 2019 5:06 PM

The Tasteful Friends threads are wonderful because (for better or for worse) each find gets its own brief moment in the sun before slipping down the page and disappearing forever.

Please, let's not change that.

by Anonymousreply 43May 12, 2019 5:27 PM

OP that house is hideous inside and out.

by Anonymousreply 44May 12, 2019 6:31 PM

You expect one to live on something called Poverty Hollow Road? I think not.

by Anonymousreply 45May 12, 2019 6:38 PM

The house looks great. The apartment loooks like a money pit.

by Anonymousreply 46May 12, 2019 6:44 PM

I know someone who lives in the Hudson Valley near Rhinebeck on Webster Coon Rd. I asked how could he live on a street with that name?

by Anonymousreply 47May 18, 2019 12:38 AM

I had thought similar to R2. A house to be murdered in.

by Anonymousreply 48May 18, 2019 12:44 AM

OP, for that money I could get a 200 sq ft. 10th floor walk-up in New York.

by Anonymousreply 49May 18, 2019 12:48 AM

OP house has electric baseboard heat for starters, which means no ductwork so installing an updated HVAC system would be prohibitively expensive and involve major renovation work, tearing up the walls and floors etc. And l can’t imagine what the electric bills are like to heat that big old place as is. Electric baseboard heat is basically using space heaters to heat every room - insanely expensive.

Then there’s all that wood siding which looks like it needs painting or staining right off the bat.

And that’s just for starters. The place is a nightmare money pit.

by Anonymousreply 50May 18, 2019 1:45 AM

How come Ruth Madoff is only living off of $1.9M in Connecticut? I thought she was living off of $2.5M in Connecticut.

by Anonymousreply 51May 18, 2019 2:01 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!