Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Fab Three..sometimes four and sometimes five, and our increasingly underwhelming lives.

This is where we bore each other and interact over the dreary minutiae of our very tedious daily shenanigans.

PLEASE JOIN US!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 442July 17, 2019 11:32 PM

OP made sure no one would want to post here. OTOH, I've been wrong before.

by Anonymousreply 1May 3, 2019 3:17 PM

What an excellent R1!!

by Anonymousreply 2May 3, 2019 3:19 PM

Decision of the day: stop eating dairy or buy cheese, out of which I have run.

by Anonymousreply 3May 3, 2019 3:24 PM

I couldn't give up dairy.

What would I put on my pasta and burgers?

by Anonymousreply 4May 3, 2019 3:26 PM

We need some new members

Maybe I should post a link on the:

"Every millennial gay I hook up with wants it raw" thread. These are the sorts of people we want to attract.

by Anonymousreply 5May 3, 2019 3:29 PM

I went commando and the seam in my jeans scratched a sore on my bum.

by Anonymousreply 6May 3, 2019 3:34 PM

I need to buy something other than boxers, as my boxers have been rubbing the head of my dick, if not quite raw, then heading in that direction. I've never worn anything but boxers, though.

by Anonymousreply 7May 3, 2019 3:37 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 3, 2019 4:47 PM

My mother just made me a Boston Cream Pie. I can feel the pounds packing on. Thank baby jeebus that it's a small one as I am alone this weekend. It has an inch of pastry cream in the middle and an inch of ganache on top.

by Anonymousreply 9May 4, 2019 10:55 PM

I am at my desk today working on something very tedious for my job. However I keep popping on here as a procrastination tactic and getting distracted. Or I get up and have a snack. I am really undermining myself. Anybody have any stellar tips to fight the urge to procrastinate?

by Anonymousreply 10May 4, 2019 11:18 PM

Today was FULL MOON so I was feeling a little crazy.

(it passed half an hour ago)

by Anonymousreply 11May 4, 2019 11:20 PM

[quote]Anybody have any stellar tips to fight the urge to procrastinate?

If only. I'm a lifelong, incurable procrastinator. Somehow, though, I never miss important deadlines, which is probably why I have never made any serious efforts to mend my ways. But I'm the worst procrastinator I know.

by Anonymousreply 12May 5, 2019 9:59 PM

Why do we procrastinate? Boredom? Fear?

by Anonymousreply 13May 6, 2019 4:09 AM

Reading r12 enabled me to get off my ass and make a phone call I needed to make, but had been procrastinating about.

by Anonymousreply 14May 6, 2019 6:24 AM

I didn’t do the dishes, but I cleaned up the counters and got the garbage ready to go down but it could sit for days because sometimes I’m afraid to touch garbage, which is why I left the dishes in the sink - they’re dirty and I don’t really want to touch them.

by Anonymousreply 15May 6, 2019 7:04 AM

I’ve eaten way too much candy lately. WTF.

by Anonymousreply 16May 6, 2019 7:11 AM

I have three random red tulips in my yard.

by Anonymousreply 17May 6, 2019 7:34 AM

Way stormy tonight, hate spring.

by Anonymousreply 18May 6, 2019 7:34 AM

I ate Chinese food right before bedtime. Predictably I woke up two hours in, sweating.

by Anonymousreply 19May 6, 2019 9:33 AM

I actually slept until my alarm went off at 5:30. I wonder why.

by Anonymousreply 20May 6, 2019 10:05 AM

Oh I lost you guys for a bit. But I’m back on board, representing the whole of Australia on my own. Naturally I haven’t done much since my last post.

by Anonymousreply 21May 6, 2019 10:41 AM

I have a music appreciation class at 1:00. Today we're talking about Mozart.

by Anonymousreply 22May 6, 2019 10:46 AM

Gotta do laundry

by Anonymousreply 23May 6, 2019 11:14 AM

I made chili this weekend. I love to eat it with sour cream.

by Anonymousreply 24May 6, 2019 11:20 AM

I ended up at my nephew’s school today to see him get an award. Long boring story how I ended up going along, however before my nephew received the award, I saw a small boy play a bit of Mozart on the violin r23. It was clunky, but he tried. This was followed by another kid drumming away to some rather hard rock. It would have all been utterly excruciating if a small girl, around 7 years old, hasn’t stood up, started playing air guitar and head banging. She was really feeling it. It really made me laugh. I hope you enjoy your music appreciation class as much as that little girl enjoyed that drumming.

by Anonymousreply 25May 6, 2019 11:26 AM

[quote]I made chili this weekend. I love to eat it with sour cream.

Chilli gives me diarrhoea. As does V8. Nothing else does. Odd.

by Anonymousreply 26May 6, 2019 11:35 AM

I also struggle with procrastination. My mom called us scarlett when we would put things off. Remember, scarlett would always say I cant think about this today, I'll think about it tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 27May 6, 2019 11:41 AM

London.

A put a little tree in at the end of my tiny garden, back in 2006-ish - it's now bigger than my house. This year it seems to have especially grown, in all directions. My neighbour suggested I cut it back last year. I had no idea it would grow so tall. But I like the privacy it gives me at the back...and it's not even on her side.

My little cherry tree has also grown very tall. Had no idea cherry trees grow so tall. But it's not as thick and bushy as the other tree. Tons of cherries this year. I wonder if I'll be able to get some before the birds. The wood pigeons already seem to be snacking on it.

by Anonymousreply 28May 6, 2019 11:44 AM

[quote] I saw a small boy play a bit of Mozart on the violin [R23].

Small children playing the violin makes me want to cry. But it's cute.

by Anonymousreply 29May 6, 2019 11:55 AM

Procrastinator at R12 here. I'm happy to have inspired R14 to make the phone call he'd been putting off. It's just the sort of task I would have procrastinated about. But it's not that I procrastinate over everything. For example, I seldom put off menial chores. I hope this won't sound judgmental toward R15 (because, really, I'm something of a mess), but I could never leave unwashed dishes in the sink. I'm actually a little OCD in that way.

As for R13's question about what makes us procrastinate, someone once told me that procrastinators are actually perfectionists who know that anything they ever achieve will never match their own high standards, so we put off doing tasks until the last minute, because, that way, we can't feel bad about having done a less-than-perfect job. It may be bullshit, but "perfectionist" sounds so much better than "lazy slug."

by Anonymousreply 30May 6, 2019 3:38 PM

[quote]Oh I lost you guys for a bit. But I’m back on board, representing the whole of Australia on my own. Naturally I haven’t done much since my last post.

We're happy you're back. I imagine that representing all of Australia on your own could get a bit whelming. As for your not having done much since your previous post, we would expect nothing less from you. Or should I say nothing more?

by Anonymousreply 31May 6, 2019 11:36 PM

I'm debating whether to order Indian food or not.

by Anonymousreply 32May 6, 2019 11:38 PM

It used to be the case that I could only order Indian food in. It went right through me, as they say. Eventually, I got over that.

by Anonymousreply 33May 6, 2019 11:39 PM

[quote]I'm debating whether to order Indian food or not.

Go ahead. Unless, that is, it has the same effect on you that chili has R26.

by Anonymousreply 34May 6, 2019 11:40 PM

. . . that chili has on R26, I meant.

by Anonymousreply 35May 6, 2019 11:41 PM

What was your decision on the Indian food, R32?

by Anonymousreply 36May 7, 2019 1:29 AM

Dateline: San Jose, CA

I made chicken chili today and had a vodka soda.

by Anonymousreply 37May 7, 2019 2:14 AM

That’s ok r37, you’re welcome to participate. Make yourself at home.

by Anonymousreply 38May 7, 2019 2:19 AM

Glad to have you with us, R37.

by Anonymousreply 39May 7, 2019 2:19 AM

I just used my grill for the first time in three or four years. I bought some beef flap meat on sale (at DL's favorite store -- Aldi!) and marinated it overnight in olive oil, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano and orange, lemon and lime juices. Grilled it briefly over high heat -- came out DELICIOUS! Now I have to deal with cleaning the grill.

by Anonymousreply 40May 7, 2019 3:03 AM

Wouldn't it be easier to buy a new grill?

by Anonymousreply 41May 7, 2019 3:58 PM

I'm making marinara.

by Anonymousreply 42May 7, 2019 11:40 PM

I'm also making marinara!

by Anonymousreply 43May 7, 2019 11:50 PM

Today I saw Marinara for sale in the supermarket and thought, no, I'll make it.

by Anonymousreply 44May 7, 2019 11:54 PM

It's so simple: garlic, EVOO, a can of tomatoes, chili and salt.

by Anonymousreply 45May 7, 2019 11:57 PM

I add some chopped green pepper to my marinara, in addition to some chopped onion, along with garlic. And a bit of whatever wine I happen to have around.

by Anonymousreply 46May 8, 2019 12:04 AM

From now on we'll be know as the Marinara Gurls.

by Anonymousreply 47May 8, 2019 12:11 AM

I hate my boss so I am eating my feelings.

Someone stop me.

by Anonymousreply 48May 8, 2019 12:11 AM

R46, are you the guy who puts cheddar cheese in his Bolognese?

by Anonymousreply 49May 8, 2019 12:16 AM

London.

Had all these alarming messages come up on the screen in my car about the tyre pressure. Turns out there was a nail in my tyre.

Had to get two new tyres and some sort of re-balancing procedure - cost a lot of money.

Went to a fancy deli for lunch while they fixed it. Had a chicken pie and a typical spastic "English" salad ( a few leaves of some sort)- the pie was absolutely inedible. I told the girl but they didn't do anything and I didn't pursue it. Didn't feel like making a fuss.

Went into a health food store. I bought some fancy (again with the fancy) flour and "sourdough starter" - I'm going to continue trying to make bread after my last failure.

by Anonymousreply 50May 8, 2019 12:22 AM

Marinara sauce

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51May 8, 2019 12:23 AM

[quote][R46], are you the guy who puts cheddar cheese in his Bolognese?

No, that's me (London) and not in, on.

by Anonymousreply 52May 8, 2019 12:23 AM

[quote]R46, are you the guy who puts cheddar cheese in his Bolognese?

What do you take me for, some kind of animal?

No offense, R52.

by Anonymousreply 53May 8, 2019 12:38 AM

Well, r53, you put all that shit in your pasta sauce and want to call it Marinara. Talk about "extra."

by Anonymousreply 54May 8, 2019 12:40 AM

I knew I was going to get myself into trouble.

by Anonymousreply 55May 8, 2019 12:42 AM

[quote]I hate my boss so I am eating my feelings. Someone stop me.

Be kinder to yourself, R48.

by Anonymousreply 56May 8, 2019 12:45 AM

Hahahahahahahahahaha

by Anonymousreply 57May 8, 2019 12:48 AM

I can’t be bothered getting up off the sofa and going to bed. Why does it seem so far?

by Anonymousreply 58May 8, 2019 12:00 PM

I prefer to hang out with the Springfield Three.

by Anonymousreply 59May 8, 2019 12:10 PM

Who, r59?

by Anonymousreply 60May 8, 2019 12:33 PM

Having breakfast out: quiche done right and grits.

by Anonymousreply 61May 8, 2019 12:34 PM

I brought a half a roast beef and cheddar on pumpernickel rye for breakfast. It's got mayo on it, but I am trying to decide if I should put a little yellow mustard on it as well.

by Anonymousreply 62May 8, 2019 12:41 PM

Absolutely add mustard.

by Anonymousreply 63May 8, 2019 12:44 PM

I very much appreciate that, R63.

by Anonymousreply 64May 8, 2019 12:47 PM

On roast beef and corned beef, I prefer Russian dressing, but mustardaise doesn’t sound bad.

by Anonymousreply 65May 8, 2019 1:02 PM

R62 here with an update on the RB sandwich. I took R63's advice and added just a smidge of yellow mustard to the meat side of the sandwich, and it was delicious. I'm glad I did.

by Anonymousreply 66May 8, 2019 1:05 PM

I’m on a conference call for work, on mute, bored to tears. Trying to figure out what a ‘spastic English salad’ is and totally loving that phrase.

by Anonymousreply 67May 8, 2019 1:11 PM

London.

I made a ham, cheese and tomato sandwich for lunch. I should have used mustard and not mayo. Next time.

by Anonymousreply 68May 8, 2019 1:28 PM

London (cont.)

I also had some of my old tomato soup and threw in some left over vegetable soup. It was surprisingly nice...PLUS a dollop of sour cream.

by Anonymousreply 69May 8, 2019 1:31 PM

So if we post, should we identify our city?

by Anonymousreply 70May 8, 2019 1:32 PM

Yes, you can.

The only reason I say "London" is because it explains oddities of the language and references I use etc...

Usually on DL I AmericaniZe to avoid this - but it would be too exhausting here.

by Anonymousreply 71May 8, 2019 1:41 PM

I mean oddities of the language I use and references etc..

Otherwise people will eye-roll spelling and "not get" things all the time...stuff like that.

by Anonymousreply 72May 8, 2019 1:44 PM

[quote]Having breakfast out: quiche done right and grits.

Quiche for breakfast?

With grits?

by Anonymousreply 73May 8, 2019 1:46 PM

Then -

Chicago.

I splashed a bit too much milk into my granola this morning. It's become an inedible but weirdly translucent glob.

by Anonymousreply 74May 8, 2019 1:49 PM

The French make very nice mustard/mayonnaise.

Must see if I can get some.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75May 8, 2019 1:49 PM

[quote]Quiche for breakfast?

Yes, quiche for breakfast. Creamy, custardy, and baconful. No onions, or it would be called Quiche Lorraine, I think.

[quote]With grits?

There's no getting one past you. The grits were delicious, if somewhat repetitive, creaminess-wise. I'd order something more vinegary next time. Someone gave me a gift certificate to my favorite restaurant, and I started to use it today.

Pittsburgh here, btw.

by Anonymousreply 76May 8, 2019 1:54 PM

R76 What is your favorite place?

by Anonymousreply 77May 8, 2019 1:55 PM

I discovered this musician today. I find him not to overwhelm.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78May 8, 2019 1:55 PM

r77 Legume

by Anonymousreply 79May 8, 2019 1:55 PM

London.

I've got Judge Rinder on the TV (not really following it) - England's Judge Judy. He's so queeny it's hilarious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80May 8, 2019 1:58 PM

Gracias, R76/R79. Will have to add that to the list for the next visit.

by Anonymousreply 81May 8, 2019 1:58 PM

R78 Arthur Russell is wonderful. Lots of segments/ideas that maybe we wouldn't all recognize as complete "pop song" constructions, but he has some beautiful pastoral sort of things, too.

Everything But The Girl's Tracey Thorn did a really nice version too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82May 8, 2019 2:00 PM

De nada, r81. Here's last night's menu.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83May 8, 2019 2:02 PM

And this is the menu for Legume's breakfast and lunch restaurant, Pie for Breakfast. It's three restaurants in one: Legume, Butterjoint (the bar for Legume, where you can also eat if you don't have a reservation), and Pie for Breakfast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84May 8, 2019 2:04 PM

I made shirred eggs for breakfast this morning. Quite simple to prepare, if you don't find heating the oven first thing in the morning too whelming.

by Anonymousreply 85May 8, 2019 3:33 PM

How does one shirr an egg?

by Anonymousreply 86May 8, 2019 3:34 PM

R84 et al - Mille grazie!

I'd heard of Pie for Breakfast. We seem to be in the city during breakfast and lunch hours more often during visits, so always looking to try new spots.

by Anonymousreply 87May 8, 2019 3:41 PM

[quote]How does one shirr an egg?

It's a lah-di-dah term for baked eggs. To make two, I used two buttered ramekins (custard cups), poured a teaspoon of heavy cream in each, and then broke an egg into each one. (Use a spoon to get the yolks in the center.) I then added salt and pepper, minced chives and a bit of grated Parmesan to each. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until the whites are set but the yolks aren't. You can find many variations, including using bacon and ham. Some recipes add bread crumbs to the buttered ramekins. Let them set for a couple of minutes before serving. If you want to make more than two, you can also use a muffin tin.

by Anonymousreply 88May 8, 2019 4:18 PM

r80, my husband and I had the table next to his when we had lunch at the Wolseley when we were in London last year. He kept a low profile.

by Anonymousreply 89May 8, 2019 5:05 PM

Oh, dear! I made cheeseburgers this evening. I'd bought an organic mince (see, this is why I call myself London) - top quality. But I guess it was very low fat meat and it tasted very heavy. Not nice at all. I could see there was no fat when I cooked it. I'm going to throw the rest of it out. I was going to use it for my version of Bolognese. But who wants a heavy Bolognese?

by Anonymousreply 90May 8, 2019 9:35 PM

Bolognese IS a meat sauce most of all. Try actual Bolognese. Maybe you'll like it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91May 8, 2019 10:20 PM

R90, if you haven't thrown that mince out yet, try just lightly sauteing it then simmering it in some milk until the milk evaporates. This is from America's Test Kitchen and it is pretty good. Their recipe calls for 1 cup of whole milk. The recipe is Weeknight Bolognese.

by Anonymousreply 92May 8, 2019 10:42 PM

[quote] you haven't thrown that mince out yet

Excuse me! I'm right here!

by Anonymousreply 93May 8, 2019 10:45 PM

And that's it, r92, just meat and milk?

by Anonymousreply 94May 8, 2019 10:46 PM

I don't want anything more to do with that mince. It was heavy. It was awful.

I don't want to be fooling around with milk and shit.

by Anonymousreply 95May 8, 2019 10:53 PM

But thank you, [bold]very much, [/bold]all the same.

No one wants to waste mince if they can help it.

by Anonymousreply 96May 8, 2019 10:57 PM

A few weeks ago on here, someone recommended a "test kitchen baked potato" recipe, which I tried- part of which was to smother the potato in olive oil. Guess the outcome? A nasty, greasy baked potato.

by Anonymousreply 97May 8, 2019 11:00 PM

Try Marcella's recipe tomorrow if you have the time, r95. I can almost promise you you're going to love it. I've never met anyone who doesn't. But you need 3 or 4 hours. Or maybe even 6. But it is SO worth it.

by Anonymousreply 98May 8, 2019 11:03 PM

5 tablespoons unsalted butter

2 tablespoons finely chopped onion

2 tablespoons minced carrot

2 tablespoons minced celery

12 ounces meatloaf mix

Salt and pepper

1 cup whole milk

1 cup dry white wine

1 (28‑ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, drained with juice reserved, tomatoes chopped fine

1 pound fettuccine or linguine

Grated Parmesan cheese

1. Melt 3 tablespoons butter in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, and celery and cook until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in meatloaf mix and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, breaking up meat with wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 3 minutes.

2. Stir in milk, bring to simmer, and cook until milk evaporates and only rendered fat remains, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in wine, bring to simmer, and cook until wine evaporates, 10 to 15 minutes.

3. Stir in tomatoes and reserved tomato juice and bring to simmer. Reduce heat to low so that sauce continues to simmer just barely, with occasional bubble or two at surface, until liquid has evaporated, about 3 hours. Season with salt to taste. (Sauce can be refrigerated for up to 2 days or frozen for up to 1 month.)

4. Meanwhile, bring 4 quarts water to boil in large pot. Add pasta and 1 tablespoon salt and cook, stirring often, until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking water, then drain pasta and return it to pot. Add sauce and remaining 2 tablespoons butter and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste and add reserved cooking water as needed to adjust consistency. Serve with Parmesan.

by Anonymousreply 99May 8, 2019 11:03 PM

[quote]But you need 3 or 4 hours. Or maybe even 6.

OMG! This is a farce.

by Anonymousreply 100May 8, 2019 11:05 PM

No, it is a sauce.

by Anonymousreply 101May 8, 2019 11:06 PM

[quote]I've got Judge Rinder on the TV (not really following it) - England's Judge Judy. He's so queeny it's hilarious.

Well, Judy has never flashed her tits like that --- so far, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 102May 9, 2019 1:29 AM

[quote]I prefer to hang out with the Springfield Three.

How do you feel about the Jackson Five?

by Anonymousreply 103May 9, 2019 1:30 AM

[quote] I prefer to hang out with the Springfield Three.

We were actually called The Four Musketeers, thank you very much!

by Anonymousreply 104May 9, 2019 1:45 AM

Oatmeal and blueberries for breakfast.

Groceries later. Coffee and cream, though I drink coffee black. The cream goes in the oatmeal. Maybe chicken for dinner.

by Anonymousreply 105May 9, 2019 1:32 PM

Today is new bedsheet day. It feels so luxe.

by Anonymousreply 106May 9, 2019 1:48 PM

That's nice, r106. What kind of sheets?

by Anonymousreply 107May 9, 2019 1:59 PM

They are "Silky Soft Double Brushed Microfiber Sheets."

I bought a really deep mattress a few years ago and while it's very comfortable, I had a devil of a time finding sheets that fit. These ones do, and they feel so nice, too.

by Anonymousreply 108May 9, 2019 2:02 PM

Basic Metabolic Panel today. Made eye doctor and dermatology appointments.

by Anonymousreply 109May 9, 2019 2:07 PM

R108, are those all polyester?

by Anonymousreply 110May 9, 2019 2:11 PM

R110 No, it's a blend. They feel like cotton but I know they aren't, or aren't quite. It just feels very luxe to me, very five star hotel.

It also seems to be a plus re: allergies.

by Anonymousreply 111May 9, 2019 2:18 PM

I think I'm going to try some. I need some deeper sheets now that I have a deeper mattress.

by Anonymousreply 112May 9, 2019 2:19 PM

My sheets are all cotton and I feel like a princess in them!

by Anonymousreply 113May 9, 2019 2:22 PM

R112 I found these sheets on Amazon using the term I typed above at R108.

I know Target also carries some deeper sheets - 18" sheets in one brand and 20" in another. 18 seemed to be too short; 20 worked, but at some point Target changed it so they no longer sold individual 20" fitted sheets and they were only available as part of a set.

Macy's had deep sheets in their Hotel brand, but those sheets were $150+ and for that much, the sheet would have to also make the bed and fellate me as I slept!

by Anonymousreply 114May 9, 2019 2:25 PM

London.

I bought this "organic" Canadian pancake mix...just for a change, for breakfast. It was AWFUL. Turns out it had no raising agents. So they were basically crepes. I thought Canadian pancakes would be like American pancakes...but it seems they're like French crepes. They were NASTY.

I'd also bought some fancy sausages, which I had for lunch, with scrambled eggs. They were nice and my scrambled eggs were perfect. So thank God for that.

by Anonymousreply 115May 9, 2019 2:26 PM

I'm developing a bit of an addiction to pimento cheese.

by Anonymousreply 116May 9, 2019 3:38 PM

Houston here. Really hoping the boss let's us leave early today due to the insanely horrible weather we've been having lately. A series of daily mini-hurricanes and flash flooding. (Sorry if that whelmed at all.)

by Anonymousreply 117May 9, 2019 3:58 PM

All these places that had years of drought, seem to be having masses of rain these days.

by Anonymousreply 118May 9, 2019 4:00 PM

[quote]I'm developing a bit of an addiction to pimento cheese.

It's better than an addiction to doughnuts, at least.

by Anonymousreply 119May 9, 2019 4:04 PM

I'd much rather eat a donut than pimiento cheese.

by Anonymousreply 120May 9, 2019 7:51 PM

I love Entenmann's crumb donuts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121May 9, 2019 8:39 PM

I don't think I've ever had one of those, r121, but I'll bet I'd like them. I can't buy an entire box of donuts, though. They wouldn't last very long at all. I will occasionally buy one or two at DD, Jelly, Boston Kreme, or Sour Cream. DD opened a kosher DD near my house and in the beginning, they had different flavors of Jelly, including my favorite, Strawberry. Now it's just Jelly. (Jeneric?)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122May 9, 2019 8:44 PM

I smelled a faint fecal odor no matter where I went yesterday. Then it occurred to me....

by Anonymousreply 123May 9, 2019 8:45 PM

I certainly hope your story ends with the realization that you had stepped in something, R123.

by Anonymousreply 124May 9, 2019 8:47 PM

r124 Mmm-hmm.

by Anonymousreply 125May 9, 2019 8:51 PM

I agree, R124. Anything else would be terribly whelming.

by Anonymousreply 126May 9, 2019 10:34 PM

I’ve gotten old to the point where I can’t enjoy a single cocktail in the evening without it ruining my sleep. I have to plan ahead and factor it in. Last night I had (I swear) one vodka with cranberry juice and I’ve been up since 2 AM and dragged through the workday. So I skipped it tonight.

by Anonymousreply 127May 10, 2019 12:39 AM

I'm also no spring chicken, R127, but I don't have that reaction. One stiff drink in the evening knocks me right out. It doesn't even have to be very stiff.

by Anonymousreply 128May 10, 2019 12:43 AM

I had to quit drinking when I reached that point, r127.

by Anonymousreply 129May 10, 2019 3:03 AM

Good morning. Pittsburgh here. Up since 4:00 am. Now 6:01.

by Anonymousreply 130May 10, 2019 10:01 AM

I had a doughnut from a pop up store at the shopping centre. It was great tasting and had vanilla custard cream inside. Thank goodness they’re taking the pop up away next week or it would be too dangerous for me.

I heard a woman asking where they have their actual shop. It’s all the way on the other side of the city. I love doughnuts, but thankfully not so much that I’ve drive 40km for one.

by Anonymousreply 131May 10, 2019 10:10 AM

Starbucks had a 50% off promotion yesterday, so I purchased 2 matcha green tea iced drinks with whipped cream on top. I only needed 1.

by Anonymousreply 132May 10, 2019 10:24 AM

New semester of my painting class today. Every first class, we take stuff in we've been working on as a show-and-tell. I haven't been working on much. I may just bring some collage elements I haven't yet assembled, and a painting on paper I want to recreate on canvas. Yes. That's it. It's going to be pouring out, and I don't want to bring an existing canvas I'm working on.

by Anonymousreply 133May 10, 2019 2:46 PM

Hello Pittsburgh! Pittsburgh Expat here in the Midwest.

I just picked up CD's from the library.

Our cleaning lady is coming in a bit for her once monthly visit. Like the dentist, she gets into the corners where my brush (and mop and vacuum) don't quite reach.

by Anonymousreply 134May 10, 2019 3:34 PM

Some may find this whelming....but saying "Hello Pittsburgh" reminded me of this, which I felt compelled to share.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135May 10, 2019 3:39 PM

I'm having a daiquiri before dinner and it's so tasty. I would like another one but I already feel tipsy so I probably shouldn't.

by Anonymousreply 136May 10, 2019 4:33 PM

Awww, go ahead and have another, R136. Life is a banquet, and most poor bastards are starving to death.

by Anonymousreply 137May 10, 2019 5:16 PM

I need a breath mint

by Anonymousreply 138May 10, 2019 8:12 PM

Recently retired here. I just had dinner with some former colleagues, all ladies. They treated me as a retirement gift. It was pleasant.

by Anonymousreply 139May 11, 2019 1:14 AM

I grabbed a few complimentary mints on my way out of the restaurant, R138. I guess that doesn't do you much good, though.

by Anonymousreply 140May 11, 2019 1:17 AM

I went wild during dinner at Matt's tonight and ordered the flatbread pizza instead of my usual spicy tuna roll!

by Anonymousreply 141May 11, 2019 1:23 AM

You are most thoughtful, R140.

by Anonymousreply 142May 11, 2019 1:46 AM

Good for you, R141.

It's very rare for posts on the "underwhelmed" threads to end in an exclamation point. I hope you'll be able to calm down later and get a decent night's sleep.

by Anonymousreply 143May 11, 2019 1:47 AM

r143 no worries, I just took an ambien

by Anonymousreply 144May 11, 2019 2:01 AM

At the age of 53 I'm thinking of taking up drinking.

Rye bread is the Devil's (used) toilet paper.

That is all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145May 11, 2019 3:42 AM

I don't mind rye bread if it doesn't have caraway seeds, but I only use it for ham or corned beef sandwiches.

by Anonymousreply 146May 11, 2019 9:22 AM

Up since 3:06 in Pittsburgh.

I listen to classical24. Host Garrett McQueen is gay, and I enjoy listening to his comments between pieces.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147May 11, 2019 9:24 AM

[quote]I listen to classical24. Host Garrett McQueen is gay,

I certainly hope so, with that name.

by Anonymousreply 148May 11, 2019 1:56 PM

I think I have a Lunesta hangover, but I’m still going to make a green chile quiche this morning.

by Anonymousreply 149May 11, 2019 2:27 PM

Up all night. Not for any happy reasons.

A bit of a nosh and then off to several hours of delayed slumber.

by Anonymousreply 150May 11, 2019 2:30 PM

I enjoy cooking, R149, but making a quiche, even without a crust, first thing in the morning would require more energy than I generally have at that hour.

by Anonymousreply 151May 11, 2019 2:32 PM

R134 Do you clean up before the housekeeper comes? I do. I want her to scrub, not tidy.

by Anonymousreply 152May 11, 2019 4:26 PM

Los Angeles has been like England this spring, lots of rain. Everything is very lush, which makes us realize how severe the drought has been for the past decade.

by Anonymousreply 153May 11, 2019 6:57 PM

I decided to stop buying potato chips.

by Anonymousreply 154May 11, 2019 7:01 PM

R47. I adore Garrett McQueen! Did you kniw he plays the bassoon?

by Anonymousreply 155May 11, 2019 7:04 PM

^r147

by Anonymousreply 156May 11, 2019 7:05 PM

Yes, r155, I did know. I DO know. And he has such a great voice.

by Anonymousreply 157May 11, 2019 8:30 PM

I purposely did not buy chips today. I'm going out for dinner, so I didn't want to have a bag of chips in the house.

by Anonymousreply 158May 11, 2019 8:32 PM

R147. I love listening to Garrett at night. His voice is so soothing and relaxing. He histef the afternoon show on my local public radio station, but moved to Minnesota.

by Anonymousreply 159May 11, 2019 8:38 PM

Which is your local area, r159?

by Anonymousreply 160May 11, 2019 8:44 PM

R149, I am impressed with you for spelling chile with an ‘e’ when referring to the vegetable.

by Anonymousreply 161May 11, 2019 8:47 PM

It’s mother’s day in Australia. I haven’t organised anything except a bunch of flowers to be delivered. Im a terribly slack child this year. I’ll call and invite mum to lunch, although every cafe in town will be chockablock, so it’ll be horrendous.

by Anonymousreply 162May 11, 2019 9:24 PM

I wish I could invite my mother to lunch for Mother's Day.

by Anonymousreply 163May 11, 2019 9:27 PM

R149, what are the ingredients that go into your green chile quiche?

by Anonymousreply 164May 11, 2019 9:30 PM

I’m sorry r163, if you were here you could come with us. It wouldn’t be the same, but mum would be delighted to have you.

by Anonymousreply 165May 11, 2019 9:35 PM

R160East Tennessee.

It’s very embarrassing to admit that on DL. But if it’s any consolation, I know where Dolly Parton lives.

by Anonymousreply 166May 11, 2019 9:40 PM

Thank you, R165. That made me smile.

by Anonymousreply 167May 11, 2019 9:48 PM

R164, It’s just eggs, cheese (I used Monterey Jack), half & half and Hatch fire roasted green chiles. Salt/pepper.

It’s good with a slice of avocado or sour cream on top and a little hot sauce.

by Anonymousreply 168May 11, 2019 11:19 PM

I had a delicious pie today.

by Anonymousreply 169May 12, 2019 12:12 AM

What kind of pie?

(The question Robert Redford asked Barbra Streisand in "The Way We Were" when she was telling him all the things she had bought in an effort to get him to stay for dinner.) "I used all my ration stamps!"

by Anonymousreply 170May 12, 2019 1:31 AM

Sugar Cream Pie. I just love it. It is very good.

by Anonymousreply 171May 12, 2019 2:41 AM

I've never had one, but it certainly sounds delicious.

by Anonymousreply 172May 12, 2019 3:13 AM

My, my, my never tasted a sugar cream pie? It’s so delicious. Would you like me to bake one for you?

by Anonymousreply 173May 12, 2019 3:18 AM

Please! Can you send it to me by drone?

by Anonymousreply 174May 12, 2019 3:19 AM

I’m going to have to think about it since you used that exclamation point.

by Anonymousreply 175May 12, 2019 3:23 AM

I'm afraid I let my enthusiasm for a sugar cream pie get the better of me and cloud my judgment.

by Anonymousreply 176May 12, 2019 3:26 AM

I’ve never had a sugar cream pie either. What are they? Could the drone send me one?

by Anonymousreply 177May 12, 2019 4:20 AM

Wanted to order takeout from an upscale Chinese restaurant here in LA but was told it would take an hour and a half - for pickup, no less. We got In-n-Out burgers instead.

by Anonymousreply 178May 12, 2019 4:33 AM

Chines food is the kind of thing you want immediately or not at all. I’d have a hamburger instead too rather than wait 90 mins.

by Anonymousreply 179May 12, 2019 6:11 AM

I was reading last night about a Chinese restaurant in Bethesda which, if I still lived in DC, would be the very next place I'd like to eat. David Hagedorn, the writer, is a gay homosexual like us. He owned or was the chef at a place on 17th Street once upon a time. He interviewed me a few years ago about the delis of Pittsburgh, where I now live.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180May 12, 2019 8:47 AM

Slow Sunday here. I am going to have a light lunch and return to bed to read a stack of new magazines. Joan Collins is on the cover of the May issue of Tatler, can't wait to read the interview with her.

by Anonymousreply 181May 12, 2019 9:56 AM

Must finish marinara sauce today. Probably with eggs and potatoes first, then later with cavatappi. Tomorrow, I'll make chili with Bell & Evans ground chicken thigh.

by Anonymousreply 182May 12, 2019 10:04 AM

Quel coincidence, R180. I ate at a restaurant in Bethesda a couple of nights ago, although not one of the Chang establishments.

Is "gay homosexual" like another DL expression, "prostitution whore"?

by Anonymousreply 183May 12, 2019 2:18 PM

"Gay homosexual" is one of my DL expressions, r183. I do not recall if I heard it here first, or even whether anyone else types it here. And "prostitution whore" is from RHONJ. Teresa called Danielle one in the first season, IIRC, and it resonated with us. We have simply brought it over from Bravo.

by Anonymousreply 184May 12, 2019 2:22 PM

R173, Can you share your recipe for sugar cream pie?

by Anonymousreply 185May 12, 2019 3:04 PM

I'm getting tired of all the rain. This has been a very wet spring.

by Anonymousreply 186May 12, 2019 5:42 PM

Is sugar cream pie a Canadian thing? Is it a custard or ???

by Anonymousreply 187May 12, 2019 5:49 PM

^^ It's at times like this when location verification is at its most useful and interesting.

by Anonymousreply 188May 12, 2019 5:49 PM

I was referring to R186's wet spring.

by Anonymousreply 189May 12, 2019 5:50 PM

I'm in the Northeast, R188.

by Anonymousreply 190May 12, 2019 5:52 PM

It worked equally well, r189, in the sugar cream pie conversation.

Pittsburgh, also having a wet spring. It was merely moistening out today, and I came home all sweated up after walking two blocks.

by Anonymousreply 191May 12, 2019 5:53 PM

Northeast. It's also been a chilly spring here. It's only 50 degrees at 2 p.m.

by Anonymousreply 192May 12, 2019 5:58 PM

Oh, well...better than a drought!

by Anonymousreply 193May 12, 2019 6:00 PM

and think how GREEN everything will be when the sun eventually comes out. June should be beautiful!

by Anonymousreply 194May 12, 2019 6:02 PM

[quote]Oh, well...better than a drought!

You have a point. We've had water restrictions where I live every year for what seems like forever.

by Anonymousreply 195May 12, 2019 6:21 PM

It's been surprisingly wet in Los Angeles, too. We sure needed it.

by Anonymousreply 196May 12, 2019 6:28 PM

I'm underwhelmed that the PSO was written up in the NYT last week. Thanks, guy who posted this in the Inconsequential Pittsburgh thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197May 12, 2019 6:34 PM

I wore a very pretty pair of slacks with blouse today for Mother’s Day.

by Anonymousreply 198May 13, 2019 2:52 AM

A blouse? Are you someone's mother?

by Anonymousreply 199May 13, 2019 3:06 AM

R199 aren’t we all someone’s mother?

by Anonymousreply 200May 13, 2019 3:20 AM

Good point, R200.

by Anonymousreply 201May 13, 2019 3:35 AM

Lately, DL has become boring to me. Hate when that happens.

by Anonymousreply 202May 13, 2019 3:40 AM

Boring others is the whole point of this thread, R202.

by Anonymousreply 203May 13, 2019 3:43 AM

Exactly r203

by Anonymousreply 204May 13, 2019 3:57 AM

I'm no one's mother.

by Anonymousreply 205May 13, 2019 6:07 AM

I ain’t no baby daddy!

by Anonymousreply 206May 13, 2019 6:25 AM

I ain't no baby nobody. Nothin'. Ever.

by Anonymousreply 207May 13, 2019 6:26 AM

It would be totally overwhelming, being someone's parent. I would never be able to post here.

I woke up at 1:47 in Pittsburgh, for those who are wondering / keeping track.

by Anonymousreply 208May 13, 2019 6:27 AM

Is that ante-meridian or post-meridian, Steel Town?

by Anonymousreply 209May 13, 2019 6:32 AM

Ante, sweet r209. It's now 2:34 ante.

by Anonymousreply 210May 13, 2019 6:35 AM

I'm now going to get the drink of water I came out to get after pissing at 1:47, but got waylaid by my computer and didn't bother with for over an hour.

by Anonymousreply 211May 13, 2019 6:44 AM

Your body will thank you @ R211

(Because your body is made of water)

by Anonymousreply 212May 13, 2019 6:49 AM

I have nothing to eat unless I cook something, and I don't want to get that involved. It's 3:01, ante.

by Anonymousreply 213May 13, 2019 7:01 AM

[quote]Lately, DL has become boring to me. Hate when that happens.

Gurl, that's when you need to start your own threads.

by Anonymousreply 214May 13, 2019 7:04 AM

Why do I suddenly have emojis all over the DL page? Did I press something?

by Anonymousreply 215May 13, 2019 10:19 AM

What are you typing on, r215?

by Anonymousreply 216May 13, 2019 10:28 AM

I woke up an hour after what I had set the alarm for. However, upon awaking, I found the alarm turned off. Either my apartment is haunted or I turned into the lazy slug DataLounge said I‘d become, and I turned the alarm off myself before getting back to sleep.

by Anonymousreply 217May 13, 2019 10:53 AM

Ok the emojis are gone. That was weird.

by Anonymousreply 218May 13, 2019 11:46 AM

That's good, r218.

by Anonymousreply 219May 13, 2019 12:18 PM

Listening to Mahler 3 by Manfred Honeck and the Pittsburgh Symphony.

by Anonymousreply 220May 13, 2019 1:47 PM

Staring out the window at the rain. Again.

by Anonymousreply 221May 13, 2019 4:12 PM

Apparently a sugar cream pie is filled with pudding, versus a custard cream pie that is filled with...custard.

by Anonymousreply 222May 13, 2019 4:25 PM

I fell back asleep this morning and I just woke up again. So, there’s that...

by Anonymousreply 223May 13, 2019 4:31 PM

I don't feel like going out in the rain, so I think I'm headed for a nap myself.

by Anonymousreply 224May 13, 2019 4:48 PM

[quote]Is that ante-meridian or post-meridian, Steel Town?

meriDIEM (i.e., mid-day.) As in "carpe diem."

by Anonymousreply 225May 13, 2019 5:10 PM

I guess the name "sugar cream pie" is peculiar to Indiana. The dessert exists under other names in other parts of the world, including Quebec (tarte au sucre.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226May 13, 2019 5:12 PM

When I was picturing a sugar cream pie, I was imagining something prettier than the above blob.

by Anonymousreply 227May 13, 2019 11:25 PM

That’s not a sugar cream pie r226. I’ve only had it once before, and that was not it.

by Anonymousreply 228May 13, 2019 11:29 PM

Made an impulse purchase of a tube of sun-dried tomato paste and I'm looking forward to spreading some on toast and adding a bit of cream cheese tomorrow morning.

by Anonymousreply 229May 14, 2019 12:59 AM

Does this look more like a sugar cream pie anyone is familiar with? I've never had it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230May 14, 2019 1:45 AM

Yes that is a sugars cream pie.

by Anonymousreply 231May 14, 2019 1:47 AM

I am in a vocal group and today we had rehearsal. I was not in good voice.

by Anonymousreply 232May 14, 2019 1:47 AM

R232, Are you the person in the vocal group who shared "Rehearsal Judy" today? (From the Renee Zellweger as Judy Garland thread.) I found that hilarious and have also shared it with a couple of people.

by Anonymousreply 233May 14, 2019 1:58 AM

R233 Yes I am. Everyone got a kick out of it, and could relate. I must have watched it at least six times since yesterday.

I also smell of weed and patchouli incense from being in the home of the person who hosted the rehearsal.

by Anonymousreply 234May 14, 2019 2:34 AM

I think most of us have days when we feel much more like Rehearsal Judy than Red Dress Judy.

by Anonymousreply 235May 14, 2019 2:44 AM

r230 r231 That looks like a basic (egg) custard pie to me, down to the nutmeg on top.

by Anonymousreply 236May 14, 2019 2:53 AM

No eggs, though. It's thickened with cornstarch.

by Anonymousreply 237May 14, 2019 3:12 AM

R233 & 234, I was the original poster r239 of the “Rehearsal Judy” clip in that thread. I’m so glad you guys liked it and saw what my friends and I saw in that performance. Like I said my original post, “Rehearsal Judy” is a term of endearment amongst us and I’m glad you guys see what is so special about that rehearsal footage.

R235, this the entire rehearsal. Underwhelming and more like my day today...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238May 14, 2019 3:55 AM

That would be The Supremes, obviously the wrong link entirely. This is correct link...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239May 14, 2019 3:58 AM

Washington DC:

Made duck eggs from the Farmer's Market that opened for this season yesterday. Also made martinis.

by Anonymousreply 240May 14, 2019 4:03 AM

R238, Thank you so much for sharing these clips with us. "Rehearsal Judy" has definitely entered my personal lexicon.

by Anonymousreply 241May 14, 2019 1:56 PM

Yes, thank you so much, R238, I'm enchanted by Rehearsal Judy as well. Beg pardon, when I said I shared it, I meant with my fellow vocalists, who all got it completely.

by Anonymousreply 242May 14, 2019 4:04 PM

I got excellent marks at my "annual wellness visit" yesterday. The only thing I need to work on is losing weight. My doctor's new medical student is a woman, but she was awfully nice.

by Anonymousreply 243May 15, 2019 4:02 AM

That's good news, R243. Congratulations. Losing weight is what I'm always told to work on, also, although I'm not terribly overweight. But mostly I just succeed in not gaining any more weight. As the Red Queen says in "Through the Looking Glass," "Here, it takes all the running you can do to stay in one place."

by Anonymousreply 244May 15, 2019 4:11 AM

Thanks, r244. I've maintained a 25 pound weight loss over the last ten years, but there's nothing left to "work on," and I think I'd just be more comfortable if I were to lose another 20.

by Anonymousreply 245May 15, 2019 4:14 AM

I lost 8kg so felt much better but recently gained 1kg. That last 1kg took months. Ugh. All that hard work down the drain, but I’m back on the horse.

by Anonymousreply 246May 15, 2019 4:14 AM

That's excellent overall, though, r246. I keep going up and down within a 14 pound range (6.35 kg), and have for ten years.

by Anonymousreply 247May 15, 2019 4:17 AM

Well that’s good news r247, staying in range is fine. I panicked because I thought it was a sign it was all creeping back. The horror.

by Anonymousreply 248May 15, 2019 4:19 AM

I’ve lost 5 lbs since mid March. I took up a 3 mile walk I do daily and struck the 12 pack of beer from my weekly shopping list.

by Anonymousreply 249May 15, 2019 4:35 AM

Pittsburgh.

Slept late today: it's 5:57.

by Anonymousreply 250May 15, 2019 9:57 AM

I made a Weight Watcher’s soup recipe with lots of cabbage for dinner and it was so tasty. Having a 50 calories fruit icicle for dessert.

by Anonymousreply 251May 15, 2019 6:43 PM

I finally made the chicken chili I mentioned in r182, and it is fab. Almost whelmingly good. I used double my usual amount of onions and green pepper, but the big difference, I think, is the quality of the meat, ground chicken thigh and leg from Bell & Evans.

by Anonymousreply 252May 15, 2019 7:58 PM

I have fruit flies. I went out for a quick walk and left a glass of lemonade to finish upon my return. It was covered in a layer of those icky things.

by Anonymousreply 253May 15, 2019 10:11 PM

I've lost 97 lbs. since September. Too whelming for this thread? (I still need to lose 87 more.)

by Anonymousreply 254May 15, 2019 10:14 PM

Excellent, r254.

by Anonymousreply 255May 15, 2019 10:16 PM

I am going to attempt to listen to all of Shostakovich's String Quartets. Six hours. It's one of my favorite large bodies of music, along with Beethoven's SQs, Mozart's Piano Concertos, and Mahler's Symphonies. I like much of Schubert's music, too, but not all of any one body of it, at least not to this extent.

by Anonymousreply 256May 15, 2019 11:18 PM

[quote]I've lost 97 lbs. since September. Too whelming for this thread? (I still need to lose 87 more.)

Congratulations, R254. That's quite an accomplishment, and you're now more than halfway to your goal. Even if it is a bit whelming, it's also inspirational for those of us who were recently discussing our own weight loss efforts.

by Anonymousreply 257May 15, 2019 11:33 PM

Wow r254, that’s so impressive.

by Anonymousreply 258May 16, 2019 4:32 AM

That's really impressive, r254! Did you use any particular method or diet?

by Anonymousreply 259May 16, 2019 8:31 AM

We have to vote for a new prime minister here in Australia tomorrow. I think there will be a swing to the left. Our current Prime Minister is an evangelical Christian which Australians aren’t big on. In the old days he would have been called a God botherer. Not sure if that expression is only used here, but it means someone who is way too into their religious life. He’s not a big fan of gay marriage either which annoys people. Basically he’s a boring, conservative, bigoted, out of touch fundamentalist religious nut and he only came to power because the last guy was kicked to the curb, so his chances probably aren’t great.

by Anonymousreply 260May 17, 2019 11:55 AM

139/89 averaged blood pressure. Not great, but very good for me.

by Anonymousreply 261May 17, 2019 12:07 PM

Listening to girl group songs today, courtesy of the girl groups thread.

"I Hear a Symphony" just popped up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262May 17, 2019 12:55 PM

[Crickets chirping]

Where did everyone go?

Can you believe another Memorial Day weekend is only a week away? It's a little whelming. It always seems to me that after the "unofficial start of summer," the rest of the year flies by. Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, the holidays . . . and another underwhelming year wraps up.

by Anonymousreply 263May 18, 2019 5:04 PM

Pittsburgh.

I felt so whelmed yesterday, I went to bed when I came home, and woke up at 2:30 am. I'm taking a painting class, and someone joined the class recently who uses oil paint and turpentine on large-ish canvases. I got a migraine that didn't go away for hours (as I said, whelmed).

I'm not sure what to do. Dropping the class is one option. I'm not going on Friday because I'm cooking for a party, so I don't have to make a decision right away, but I can't be in a room with that kind of shit in the air. It makes me so sick.

by Anonymousreply 264May 18, 2019 5:08 PM

That must really be frustrating, R264. We other Fab Fivers know how much you enjoyed those classes. I hate the smell of turpentine, which my father always seemed to be using around the house for one thing or another when I was growing up.

by Anonymousreply 265May 18, 2019 5:16 PM

I just can't do it. It takes the rest of the day, or longer, to recuperate.

by Anonymousreply 266May 18, 2019 5:19 PM

Are you the same person who can't go swimming because of the chlorine?

by Anonymousreply 267May 18, 2019 5:44 PM

Yes, r267.

by Anonymousreply 268May 18, 2019 5:52 PM

I love swimming. I bought a new pair of trunks the other week and I cannot wait to wear them out.

by Anonymousreply 269May 19, 2019 10:43 AM

Pic available online, r269?

by Anonymousreply 270May 19, 2019 10:59 AM

I chose the lobster print. I wish they available in a shorter length though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271May 19, 2019 12:08 PM

Coincidentally, I had a delicious lobster roll for dinner last night.

by Anonymousreply 272May 19, 2019 1:55 PM

Oh, those are nice, r271. I like prints. I like lobster.

by Anonymousreply 273May 19, 2019 3:27 PM

Excellent, r272. I love a good lobster roll.

by Anonymousreply 274May 19, 2019 3:28 PM

I had a nightmare last night that someone was trying to grab something from underneath me while I was sleeping. In dream logic, I had to prevent this from happening, and I ended up falling on the floor. I don't think I've ever fallen out of bed before. My elbow, shoulder, and foot hurt this morning, but I do not think it will be overwhelming.

by Anonymousreply 275May 19, 2019 3:29 PM

For breakfast in Pittsburgh:

scrambled eggs w/dill

roasted rosemary potatoes

fresh pineapple

Peet's House Blend Decaf

my raft of pills

by Anonymousreply 276May 19, 2019 3:52 PM

It's 90 degrees in Washington, D.C. I'm a bit whelmed. I'm not ready for summer. I was rather enjoying the cooler-than-normal spring.

by Anonymousreply 277May 19, 2019 6:26 PM

[quote]It's 90 degrees in Washington, D.C.

Meanwhile it's 53 degrees in LA. It's been a cool and rainy spring so far.

by Anonymousreply 278May 19, 2019 6:29 PM

Washington has also had a rainy and (relatively) cool spring, R278. That seems to have come to an end.

by Anonymousreply 279May 19, 2019 6:48 PM

I had lobster Benedict and asparagus for breakfast. It was yummy. Went to my parents' house and my mother made it especially for me.

by Anonymousreply 280May 19, 2019 9:40 PM

Your mother sounds like a treasure, R280.

by Anonymousreply 281May 19, 2019 10:29 PM

R276 - I don't like dill but otherwise I applaud your breakfast.

by Anonymousreply 282May 20, 2019 1:39 AM

I applaud your mother, R276.

by Anonymousreply 283May 20, 2019 1:41 AM

I'm making split pea soup in my Instant Pot. The pressure is naturally releasing right now.

by Anonymousreply 284May 20, 2019 1:44 AM

I made pumpkin soup over the weekend. One of my nephews had 3 bowls of it so I knew it was good.

by Anonymousreply 285May 20, 2019 2:14 AM

With 90-degree temperatures in our nation's capital, I wasn't thinking much about soup today.

by Anonymousreply 286May 20, 2019 2:17 AM

I’m in Australia r286 so we’re headed into winter, hence the pumpkin soup. Although it’s not really all that cold yet, but next week looks pretty rubbish weather wise so as of Sunday I think the warm days will be over until at least September.

by Anonymousreply 287May 20, 2019 2:50 AM

Watched an alright gay movie last night, Keep the Lights On. Fictionalized biopic of notorious agent / publisher / drug addict Bill Clegg, by his boyfriend through all of it, Ira Sachs.

Not recommended, but not unrecommended. Zachary Booth, who plays faux-Clegg, is very cute. You get one nice cock shot, from underneath.

by Anonymousreply 288May 20, 2019 10:27 PM

Up at 4:06 eastern. Still haven't had coffee. Hoping to go back to bed and get some more sleep.

by Anonymousreply 289May 21, 2019 9:11 AM

I have a cold sore. I have no idea why. It’s not even in the spot I usually get them. I’m applying cold sore cream, tee tree oil and a cold compress. I rarely get them but when I do I get such terribly puffy ones so that I look like Ive been punched in the face and now have a fat lip. However since I discovered putting tee tree oil is n them it seems to dry them out before they puff up. Fingers crossed it works this time too.

by Anonymousreply 290May 21, 2019 10:43 AM

I wanted to pour myself a glass of wine, but I can’t find the corkscrew. Do I keep searching the house, or go to Wal Mart to purchase a new one?

by Anonymousreply 291May 21, 2019 11:06 AM

Where did you last drink wine, r291? Could it be between couch cushions?

by Anonymousreply 292May 21, 2019 12:33 PM

I went back to bed for awhile, but only slept for < an hour. My head hurt. I contacted my doctor about falling and hurting my right side in various places, and that's the side of my head that hurts. He told me to see how I felt today, to take some acetaminophen or ibuprofen, but that he could see me tomorrow. The most consistently painful part is my shoulder. I'm thinking I should get x-rayed.

by Anonymousreply 293May 21, 2019 12:36 PM

Oh, Mary, R293 - there's ALWAYS SOMETHING with you. It never ends.

by Anonymousreply 294May 21, 2019 12:38 PM

Isn’t that why we’re here, though? @R294 LOL

by Anonymousreply 295May 21, 2019 12:41 PM

[quote] I contacted my doctor

I'll bet you've got him on speed-dial.

by Anonymousreply 296May 21, 2019 12:46 PM

I have a feeling I left the corkscrew at a friend’s house during the holidays. Or maybe it’s in the trunk of my car. The corkscrew is part of a Swiss Army knife I got when I was in a “str8 acting” phase. I was trying pretty hard to look masc4masc LOL

by Anonymousreply 297May 21, 2019 12:47 PM

[quote]He told me to see how I felt today, to take some acetaminophen or ibuprofen

How are your stocks on that? A whole cabinet full, right?

by Anonymousreply 298May 21, 2019 12:48 PM

[quote]I have a feeling I left the corkscrew at a friend’s house during the holidays. Or maybe it’s in the trunk of my car. The corkscrew is part of a Swiss Army knife I got when I was in a “str8 acting” phase.

This loss could be symbolic.

by Anonymousreply 299May 21, 2019 12:49 PM

Yes, r294, that's kind of the point of this thread. Please take your cunting elsewhere. You obviously do not belong here (in this thread, I mean; obviously, you're DLAF).

by Anonymousreply 300May 21, 2019 12:51 PM

What the hell's DLAF?

by Anonymousreply 301May 21, 2019 12:59 PM

[bold]D[/bold]ata [bold]L[/bold]ounge [bold]A[/bold]s [bold]F[/bold]uck, dumbass. IOW, Cuntessa Di Tutti Cuntessi.

by Anonymousreply 302May 21, 2019 1:03 PM

[quote]Data Lounge As Fuck, dumbass

How could I have not known that?

So this thread is not Datalounge - but an island off the continent? OK. I'll change my tune.

[quote]He told me to see how I felt today, to take some acetaminophen or ibuprofen, but that he could see me tomorrow. The most consistently painful part is my shoulder. I'm thinking I should get x-rayed.

R293 - PLEASE don't forget to post back to tell us how it's all going. What the doctor said. If you can get a copy of the X-Rays it would be great to see them. Add our own advice. Don't overdo the acetaminophen/ibuprofen.

How are all your other allergies etc...didn't you have some sort of reaction to noise? and an allergy to chlorine?

by Anonymousreply 303May 21, 2019 1:11 PM

Wow...what a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 304May 21, 2019 1:16 PM

[quote]How could I have not known that?

Has "DL" ever meant anything here but "Data Lounge"? And "AF" anything but "As Fuck"?

by Anonymousreply 305May 21, 2019 1:23 PM

R294 r303 types Fibromyalgia Hater AF (As Fuck).

by Anonymousreply 306May 21, 2019 1:42 PM

One hopes r303 will get Fibromyalgia, and that the only cure will require him to live in Denmark for the rest of his life.

by Anonymousreply 307May 21, 2019 1:45 PM

I feel more non-binary anyway @R299

by Anonymousreply 308May 21, 2019 1:57 PM

[quote]I wanted to pour myself a glass of wine, but I can’t find the corkscrew. Do I keep searching the house, or go to Wal Mart to purchase a new one?

How did you resolve this, R291? It sounded as though a trip to Wal-Mart was in your future.

It's to your credit that you don't buy wine with twist-off caps.

by Anonymousreply 309May 21, 2019 3:44 PM

I made a Tom Collins tonight. It used to be my go-to drink in my 20's, but it's so bland. I prefer my gin to taste gin and not lemonade. I will try a gin fizz tomorrow, just so I can say that I have had one.

by Anonymousreply 310May 21, 2019 4:27 PM

Too many acronyms these days. Half the time I have to stop and puzzle them out. Often I end up going to urban dictionary. Hate ‘em.

by Anonymousreply 311May 21, 2019 11:16 PM

I was hoping the Swiss Army knife would show up, but it has not. The bottle of wine remains unopened. I’m going to drop by Target and pick up this corkscrew. I like the sea foam green color.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 312May 22, 2019 12:26 PM

Our family car in the early 1960s was a sea foam green Chevy Impala.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313May 22, 2019 1:52 PM

Beautiful, r313 r312.

by Anonymousreply 314May 22, 2019 1:56 PM

I recently bought a new Microplanar grater in green. Not sea foam, but pretty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 315May 22, 2019 1:57 PM

My first car, a 1964 Chevy Impala in Meadow Green (metallic):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 316May 22, 2019 2:00 PM

Bitchin' wheels, R316.

by Anonymousreply 317May 22, 2019 11:51 PM

I didn't realize how much I liked the car at the time, r317. I inherited it from my parents in lieu of a sportscar, but I always enjoyed driving it.

by Anonymousreply 318May 23, 2019 12:08 AM

I inherited a 1968 Ford Galaxy from my parents when I was in college in the '70s, R318. Not exactly the coolest car on campus, but I was just so happy to have my own car for the first time, I truly didn't care.

by Anonymousreply 319May 23, 2019 1:09 AM

I would never deign to buy wine with a twist off cap. I buy my wine in a box.

by Anonymousreply 320May 23, 2019 1:29 AM

Greetings, fellow fab ones. I've been on vacation and returned to find no activity on this thread since last Wednesday. I'm a little whelmed wondering what's happened to everyone, and feel vaguely guilty about having temporarily abandoned you all. I feel like I singlehandedly killed the thread.

by Anonymousreply 321May 27, 2019 2:12 PM

I gave a friend an abortion last night on my kitchen table.

by Anonymousreply 322May 27, 2019 2:25 PM

Nah @R321 I think it’s just the relaxed mood of the holiday weekend

by Anonymousreply 323May 27, 2019 3:48 PM

R323 no holiday weekend where I am, but I have been slack in posting. I’ve just had a lot on so I’ve been a bit whelmed, but glad people are back. What or who was the holiday weekend in honour of?

by Anonymousreply 324May 27, 2019 9:06 PM

Memorial Day, R324, a federal holiday to remember those who died while serving in the U.S. Armed Forces. Many people in the U.S. also observe it as an occasion to visit cemeteries and leave flowers for their loved ones, whether or not they served in the military.

by Anonymousreply 325May 27, 2019 10:37 PM

America's version of Britain's Poppy Day, I guess.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 326May 28, 2019 7:10 AM

Ahh I see r325, thanks. Ours is Anzac Day, it’s on April 25.

by Anonymousreply 327May 28, 2019 8:15 AM

Poppy Day, that’s an appropriate comparison @ R326 as Americans don’t observe Armistice Day

by Anonymousreply 328May 28, 2019 9:41 AM

[quote]Americans don’t observe Armistice Day

Isn't Armistice Day another name for Veteran's Day, which we celebrate on November 11? It's one of the few holidays we haven't Mondayized.

by Anonymousreply 329May 28, 2019 10:11 AM

R329, yes, you are correct

by Anonymousreply 330May 28, 2019 10:46 AM

Armistice Day is the original name of Veterans Day in the U.S. The name was changed during World War II to broaden its scope. I seem to recall that Veterans Day was Monday-ized for a while, but is now again observed on Nov. 11, because of the significance of the date.

by Anonymousreply 331May 28, 2019 3:00 PM

I just baked 2 Swiss and spinach quiches. I didn’t bake the crusts before adding the filling, so they turned out a little soggy in the centre.

by Anonymousreply 332May 30, 2019 7:49 PM

Blind baking is essential in making any kind of tart. It works with pie crusts you bake yourself, or ones you buy in your grocer's freezer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 333May 30, 2019 8:54 PM

I've baked many a pie shell in my time, but had never heard the phrase "blind baking" until now. There's something a little whelming about the sound of it.

by Anonymousreply 334May 31, 2019 1:58 AM

I only know it as blind baking. Not that it matters, the two mini custard tarts I just ate were not baked by me.

by Anonymousreply 335May 31, 2019 3:10 AM

June is busting out all over. Wasn't is just April?

by Anonymousreply 336June 1, 2019 2:19 PM

I’m painting the porch posts today.

I have to power wash them first.

Maybe I’ll pull a few weeds.

by Anonymousreply 337June 1, 2019 2:31 PM

[quote]Yet sitting here surfing.

You have no idea how much I can relate.

by Anonymousreply 338June 1, 2019 2:41 PM

[quote]You have no idea how much I can relate.

And I, as well.

by Anonymousreply 339June 1, 2019 3:08 PM

I saw Rocketman last night. I liked it, but was not overwhelmed. It was basically a biography-inflected music video. We chose the Dolby theatre, which I found too loud, and thus not worth the extra $$. Taron Egerton was thoroughly convincing as Elton, as was Jamie Bell playing Bernie, but my favorite was Charlie Rowe as Ray Williams, the guy who discovered EJ in the first place.

I wish they hadn't dyed Richard Madden's hair such a harsh black. It overwhelmed. Just as it doesn't matter storywise that Jeffrey Wright was hired to play Hobie in The Goldfinch, the Elton John story was not improved at all by overdyeing Madden's hair this way.

Here's Charlie:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 340June 2, 2019 1:12 PM

Doing the crossword. Four letters, first letter E. Clue: First name in scat...

by Anonymousreply 341June 2, 2019 2:13 PM

E-L-L-A (get your minds out of the gutter, queens)

by Anonymousreply 342June 2, 2019 2:30 PM

I haven't seen "Rocketman" yet, R340, but from your description, it sounds to me like it's destined to be turned into yet another jukebox musical on Broadway. I'm a longtime theatergoer, and I find most jukebox musicals to be quite underwhelming. Broadway is turning into Vegas.

by Anonymousreply 343June 2, 2019 2:31 PM

I have an ophthalmologist appointment tomorrow. I may or may not need an injection into my eye. It sounds horrific, but I’ve had it before and it’s not that bad. The biggest annoyance is trying to find a parking spot remotely near the building. The parking situation around there is whelming.

by Anonymousreply 344June 3, 2019 12:13 PM

Is it wise to be driving immediately after having an injection in your eye, R344?

by Anonymousreply 345June 3, 2019 2:33 PM

I got caught in a sudden hailstorm while driving late yesterday afternoon. It was a little whelming. The hailstones were so loud hitting my car, I was sure they must be causing damage, but it doesn't appear as though they did. Luckily, they were the size of mothballs, rather than the ones the size of baseballs you see on the news.

by Anonymousreply 346June 3, 2019 2:55 PM

R345 I don’t have anyone to drop me off and pick me up, although I’m lucky because I usually do, so I’ll just have rely on my good eye to get me there and back. Thankfully it’s not too far.

by Anonymousreply 347June 3, 2019 7:10 PM

Participation in this thread has become underwhelming lately. Perhaps that's appropriate.

by Anonymousreply 348June 5, 2019 3:10 PM

Too much cuntation for me. I post rarely now.

by Anonymousreply 349June 5, 2019 3:21 PM

I still haven’t opened the bottle of wine I planned to enjoy in R291 despite having purchased a new corkscrew.

by Anonymousreply 350June 5, 2019 4:02 PM

In that case, how can you be sure the new corkscrew works, R350? You may have only 14 days to return it if it doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 351June 5, 2019 4:07 PM

Hmm, that thought is going to gnaw at me for the rest of the day.

by Anonymousreply 352June 5, 2019 4:40 PM

Break open that wine!

by Anonymousreply 353June 5, 2019 8:09 PM

R349 someone turned up, behaved like an arsewipe, didn’t get the response they were looking for and has left, I think. Fingers crossed, we’re all back to normal now.

by Anonymousreply 354June 5, 2019 11:07 PM

The corkscrew works 🍷

by Anonymousreply 355June 5, 2019 11:36 PM

Glad to hear it, R355. I feel I played a small role in your making that discovery.

by Anonymousreply 356June 6, 2019 12:06 AM

Let’s raise a toast to r351 and functioning corkscrews.

by Anonymousreply 357June 6, 2019 3:02 AM

I have to find a new place to live yet again. I'm trying not to whelm myself.

by Anonymousreply 358June 6, 2019 9:15 AM

Why do you have to move r358?

by Anonymousreply 359June 6, 2019 9:34 AM

R359, I have finally, after years on a waiting list, been given a housing voucher. (I am disabled.) I have 2 months to use it or I lose it. The problem is that it's only worth about 60% of my area's average rent for a one-bedroom, so I am having a hard time finding anything. Vacancy rates are at an all-time low, too. At this point I am hoping for divine intervention.

by Anonymousreply 360June 6, 2019 9:47 AM

Drinking that wine last night didn’t help me on my work out this morning. I felt sluggish and off, and I’m kind of sleepy now.

by Anonymousreply 361June 6, 2019 2:18 PM

Making quiche for breakfast.

by Anonymousreply 362June 6, 2019 2:28 PM

[quote]Drinking that wine last night didn’t help me on my work out this morning. I felt sluggish and off, and I’m kind of sleepy now.

I apologize for my role in that, R361.

by Anonymousreply 363June 6, 2019 2:34 PM

Don’t worry, R351. I’ll get by, afterall tomorrow is another day. 💆‍♂️

by Anonymousreply 364June 6, 2019 2:48 PM

I'm regretting having sold my Paradigm Atom speakers. I still have ~500 CDs, and would like to go back to listening to them as my main source of music if iTunes proves unworkable in the future.

by Anonymousreply 365June 6, 2019 3:08 PM

Tell me more about your quiche, R362. Swiss? Cheddar? Ham? Scallion? Potato?

by Anonymousreply 366June 6, 2019 7:24 PM

Well, it's called Quiche Lorraine in the NYT Cookbook recipe by Craig Claiborne, but Quiche Lorraine isn't supposed to have cheese, and this does. I'm using Jarlsberg instead of Swiss, plus Parmigiano-Reggiano. Plus shallots (I was out of onions) and bacon.

Either Jarlsberg doesn't melt into the custard the way I remember Swiss doing, or I'm not cooking it long enough. But it was "set," so I took it out. It tastes great. The texture just isn't what I wanted.

Also, the recipe called for four eggs, which didn't work well yesterday, so today I used six.

by Anonymousreply 367June 6, 2019 7:50 PM

Let’s have a mimosa and dance

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 368June 6, 2019 8:29 PM

Awww...that's sweet, r368.

by Anonymousreply 369June 6, 2019 8:36 PM

R360, that sounds a bit tough. I hope something pops up quickly. Are there any organisations that offer help with helping you find something?

by Anonymousreply 370June 6, 2019 8:47 PM

I had a weird attack of vertigo and severe nausea/vomiting on Monday. I'm 66 and this has never happened before. I think it's an inner-ear issue. I went to see my primary care physician on Tuesday and she gave me a prescription for nausea/vomiting and an OTC for motion sickness, and referred me to a specialist--whom I don't get to see until July. So I'm hoping it doesn't come up (literally and figuratively) again before then.

by Anonymousreply 371June 6, 2019 9:14 PM

Could it be low blood pressure r66?

by Anonymousreply 372June 6, 2019 9:20 PM

Sorry that was for r371?

by Anonymousreply 373June 6, 2019 9:20 PM

I've joined the brotherhood of underwhelmed early-wakers. For the past few mornings, I've awakened at 5:30 or 6 a.m. and can't get back to sleep.

by Anonymousreply 374June 7, 2019 1:59 PM

Oh, poor you, r358. Where are you located, if it's not too much to ask?

by Anonymousreply 375June 7, 2019 4:01 PM

[quote]I've joined the brotherhood of underwhelmed early-wakers. For the past few mornings, I've awakened at 5:30 or 6 a.m. and can't get back to sleep.

It's the not being able to get back to sleep that makes this such a problem.

by Anonymousreply 376June 7, 2019 4:02 PM

R375, I am in Boise, Idaho.

by Anonymousreply 377June 8, 2019 6:53 AM

Ah, r377. Not somewhere I'm familiar with. Good luck to you.

by Anonymousreply 378June 8, 2019 7:03 AM

I woke up at 2:56 am, and do not anticipate going back to sleep for some time. I think I shall make a cup of coffee. After about an hour (it's now 3:58), withdrawal kicks in, though I'm not one of those "until I've had my first cup, I AM A BEAR" types.

by Anonymousreply 379June 8, 2019 7:59 AM

I have come to enjoy being up all night long. It's more quiet in my urban environment. I listen to gay classical announcer Garrett McQueen on Classical 24 four nights a week.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 380June 8, 2019 8:36 AM

Garrett McQueen/tonight's playlist

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 381June 8, 2019 8:36 AM

I get that you have to pay for that app R380. Hard pass.

by Anonymousreply 382June 9, 2019 5:17 PM

I don't pay for it, r382.

by Anonymousreply 383June 9, 2019 5:19 PM

I watched the Tony Awards last night. I found the musical numbers from current productions very underwhelming. Actually, the whole show was underwhelming. So, really, it fit in perfectly with most things in my life.

by Anonymousreply 384June 10, 2019 10:38 PM

I found the Tonys so underwhelming, I went to bed at ten. Woke up at 2:30, as usual, then back to bed by 3:30, and up again just before my alarm went off at 5:30.

by Anonymousreply 385June 10, 2019 11:04 PM

It took me most of Monday to recover from the ordeal that was the Tony Awards.

by Anonymousreply 386June 11, 2019 10:10 PM

Lol r386. I hope you’re ok now.

by Anonymousreply 387June 11, 2019 10:54 PM

R371, my bestie got loose crystals in her ear from eating too much sugar. Gave her vertigo and nausea. Went away after she stopped eating marshmallow fluff straight out of the jar. She said that was the real purpose of iced tea spoons. LOL

by Anonymousreply 388June 11, 2019 11:23 PM

R388 - That's such a great post. I don't even know what to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 389June 11, 2019 11:27 PM

Lol r388, your friend sounds very funny.

by Anonymousreply 390June 12, 2019 6:22 AM

I have become completely overwhelmed by my inability to have my ignored threads stay ignored.

by Anonymousreply 391June 17, 2019 7:54 AM

After being derailed by a lousy Friday and Saturday, I pulled myself out of bed at 5 this morning to work out. I’m pleased with myself for doing it.

by Anonymousreply 392June 17, 2019 1:50 PM

[quote] I’m pleased with myself for doing it.

As well you should be, R392!

by Anonymousreply 393June 17, 2019 2:53 PM

Almost a week without any more underwhelming posts. Have the fab five suddenly developed interesting lives?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 394June 23, 2019 3:04 PM

I got tired of being cunted at.

by Anonymousreply 395June 23, 2019 5:53 PM

It is unfortunate that some cunting arose on a thread in which most posters were good-natured and mutually supportive.

by Anonymousreply 396June 23, 2019 6:31 PM

There was just one cunt. He could not stop cunting at me. He even cunted at me on another thread because of stuff I'd posted here. So I stopped posting on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 397June 23, 2019 6:41 PM

I had to skip my workout the past two mornings because smoke and ash from a forest fire is polluting the air here.

by Anonymousreply 398June 23, 2019 7:21 PM

Where are you, r398?

by Anonymousreply 399June 23, 2019 7:24 PM

Just ordered a set of silicone straws from amazon. I'm also using reusable containers. Now, if I could just get over my paper napkin fetish...

by Anonymousreply 400June 24, 2019 12:26 AM

Since I retired a while back, it's just been one underwhelming day after another. I couldn't be happier about it.

by Anonymousreply 401June 24, 2019 3:43 AM

Well I, for one, have been extremely whelmed by looking for an apartment in a city with virtually no vacancies and year-long waiting lists, so my life isn't underwhelming enough to post here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 402June 24, 2019 11:50 PM

The Fourth of July is a week from today. I'm a bit whelmed by how quickly this year is going by.

by Anonymousreply 403June 27, 2019 7:31 PM

I'm making angel hair and meatballs for July 4. A friend requested it. Who am I to say no?

by Anonymousreply 404June 27, 2019 7:33 PM

That sounds good R404. I made bruschetta chicken with angel hair this past weekend.

by Anonymousreply 405June 27, 2019 8:47 PM

What is bruschetta chicken? It sounds delightful. I love both components.

And more importantly, how do you pronounce "bruschetta"?

by Anonymousreply 406June 27, 2019 8:57 PM

Brew-shetta. It's got marinated Marzano tomatoes with fresh basil and garlic and parmesan and a balsamic glaze.

by Anonymousreply 407June 27, 2019 9:29 PM

It's correctly pronounced "brewSKETta." "Ch" sounds like "k" in Italian.

So you put all of that on what, boneless, skinless chicken breasts and roast them? Roast them first and then top them with the bruschetta mixture? How do you do it?

by Anonymousreply 408June 27, 2019 9:43 PM

London.

I learned how to make Spaghetti Carbonara the correct way about a month ago. I used to have my own spastic version. But this, the real thing, is unbelievable. I'd happily have it every day for the rest of my life...and it's so EASY to make.

But I have to cool it with all this cooking. I was putting on weight.

by Anonymousreply 409June 27, 2019 10:14 PM

I got food poisoning from restaurant carbonara one 48-hour period about 25 years ago. I knew the chef and visited the kitchen afterwards, where I saw raw egg yolks sitting on a stainless steel counter attached to the stove. I have not eaten carbonara since.

You are doing yourself a great service by making your own.

by Anonymousreply 410June 27, 2019 10:20 PM

[quote]But I have to cool it with all this cooking. I was putting on weight.

I hear you, R409. One benefit of summer's heat and humidity (in the 90s now where I am) is that it makes me feel less like cooking. But when the cooler weather returns, watch out!

by Anonymousreply 411June 27, 2019 10:21 PM

Are you the "Soups and Stews! Send Me Your Recipes!" queen, r411?

by Anonymousreply 412June 27, 2019 10:27 PM

I've decided to replace my pasta dishes with lentils or beans. I made a cold chicken curry salad with lentils and it was delicious. I miss pasta salads in the summer but this was a fantastic replacement. Wonder if it would work as a carbonara? How did you make it, R409?

by Anonymousreply 413June 27, 2019 10:28 PM

[quote]The Fourth of July is a week from today. I'm a bit whelmed by how quickly this year is going by.

I don't mind - I'm excited for THE 'TWENTIES! Fuck 2019!

by Anonymousreply 414June 27, 2019 10:32 PM

[quote]Are you the "Soups and Stews! Send Me Your Recipes!" queen, [R411]?

No, I think I was the Soups and Stews Queen.

by Anonymousreply 415June 27, 2019 10:34 PM

[quote]Are you the "Soups and Stews! Send Me Your Recipes!" queen, R411?

I am not, R412.

by Anonymousreply 416June 27, 2019 10:36 PM

[quote]Wonder if it would work as a carbonara? How did you make it, [R409]?

I watched several YouTube videos...but this was the best.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 417June 27, 2019 10:36 PM

And this one - but he's annoying, so brace yourself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 418June 27, 2019 10:38 PM

R408 The recipe calls for seasoned grilled chicken breasts. I live in a 3rd floor apt and we aren't allowed to have grills on our balconies, so I buy the frozen seasoned grilled chicken breasts (the HEB brand here in Houston are excellent,) You take the tomato marinara (which is 3 cups of diced Marzano tomatoes, 1/2 cup tomato sauce, 2 tsp white wine vinegar, 1/2 cup fresh basil, 1/3 cup olive oil and 4 cloves minced garlic, lots of fresh pepper and a bit of salt) and toss with the angel hair, then top with grilled chicken strips, parmesan and drizzle balsamic glaze over it. It is light and delicious, and not at all high in fat. I'm sure you're right about the correct pronunciation, but I have never heard anyone call it "brusketta" here in the US.

by Anonymousreply 419June 28, 2019 12:36 PM

Here is the chicken I use.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 420June 28, 2019 12:39 PM

[quote] I have never heard anyone call it "brusketta" here in the US.

Well, you're in TAY-hahs.

by Anonymousreply 421June 28, 2019 1:36 PM

...there seems to be some debate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 422June 28, 2019 1:53 PM

R422 Your "bruschetta" mispronouncer has spelling issues, too. The fish is "branzino," not what she typed.

[quote]For some reason, "bronzino" is clear, even though many menus use "bronzini" for one whole fish, and that's what people are most used to.

by Anonymousreply 423June 28, 2019 2:06 PM

I thought about joining some friends in New York this weekend for World Pride but decided that the huge crowds would be too whelming.

by Anonymousreply 424June 30, 2019 12:18 AM

I just discovered there's a new competing "underwhelmed" thread for summer 2019. But already the tone has gotten snarky.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 425June 30, 2019 12:22 AM

Yeah, r425. The cunting started right away. I'm staying away from it. I WOULD BLOCK IT IF I COULD.

by Anonymousreply 426June 30, 2019 1:29 AM

That’s a horrible thread. I’ll need to retire early tonight to recover from it.

by Anonymousreply 427June 30, 2019 3:03 AM

The hottest month of the year starts tomorrow, and temperatures where I am are going to be in the mid-90s all week.

by Anonymousreply 428June 30, 2019 2:29 PM

Happy underwhelming Fourth of July, everyone.

by Anonymousreply 429July 4, 2019 1:54 PM

Thank you, r429. I went out for lunch today and had blueberry pancakes with real maple syrup. I don't usually eat sugar anymore, but this was worth it.

by Anonymousreply 430July 4, 2019 8:19 PM

Now I want blueberry pancakes with real maple syrup, R430.

by Anonymousreply 431July 4, 2019 10:14 PM

I want them again, r431. And I don't like making pancakes myself, so I'd have to go out for them. They sure were good.

by Anonymousreply 432July 5, 2019 1:42 PM

I found another palatable decaf yesterday: Peet's Mocca-Java (their spelling). Drinking decaf, something I used to make fun of people for, is actually helping me sleep more. My doctor suggested it for lowering blood pressure slightly. I never imagined it would help me sleep.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 433July 5, 2019 1:45 PM

I was brutally eaten out during Macy’s fireworks last night.

by Anonymousreply 434July 5, 2019 4:18 PM

Hmmm....ideally, that should have been whelming, r434.

by Anonymousreply 435July 5, 2019 4:28 PM

Spain I changed my tampon three times yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 436July 8, 2019 12:40 AM

I made clam chowder today. It was quite delicious.

by Anonymousreply 437July 8, 2019 3:54 AM

I discovered a new kind of Kettle Chips, Spicy Queso.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 438July 16, 2019 9:37 PM

London.

I had sausages, mashed potatoes and spinach for supper. Came out really well. Key to great mash, get rid of all the water and steam before you mash. I then put the mash in the oven for 30 minutes along the sausages. Result: really great texture. In fact, I don't actually "mash", I whip with a fork with a little butter and milk, plenty of salt and pepper. Top notch French mustard with the sausages.

Fantastic weather. Hot. No humidity. Clear blue skies. Won't last. Never does here.

by Anonymousreply 439July 16, 2019 10:33 PM

"No humidity" sounds like heaven to me. I'm in D.C., where every time I step outdoors in the summer, I feel as though I'm being hit in the face with a wet blanket.

by Anonymousreply 440July 16, 2019 10:46 PM

^^In addition to the humidity, the temperature will be hitting 100 degrees F. here this weekend.

by Anonymousreply 441July 16, 2019 11:33 PM

Washington, D.C., could have its hottest weather in years over the next four days, with the "heat index" going as high as 115.

by Anonymousreply 442July 17, 2019 11:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!