Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Will GEORGE MICHAEL be remembered as a gay icon?

Or will he go down in history for having the weirdest bunch of fans?

by Anonymousreply 46Last Thursday at 11:17 PM

No, not a gay icon.

by Anonymousreply 104/15/2019

I don’t know her.

by Anonymousreply 204/15/2019

Aspie Copycat Thread Thief strikes again!

Do you have to pass off every idea as your own? Do you have any original ideas or news? Why does one subject always have to have two conversations and only the one copied by you is important?

Note the Fadi Fawaz thread, as well as r369 in the Public Bathroom thread, which came first.

Then F/F the OP, please. He's autism side effect pollution.

by Anonymousreply 304/15/2019

R3 Fuck, get a life ya burke

by Anonymousreply 404/15/2019

Today is the first anniversary of the unveiling of the Blue Plaque at Bushey Mead's, GM's and Andrew Ridgeley's old school. I see hardly any fans commemorating this event. Why is this? Maybe the "ultimate fans" are still too embarrassed about the disaster, they tried to pass off as a success. And they still haven't answered the questions where all the fans' money ended up.

by Anonymousreply 504/15/2019

I have come to the conclusion that GM doesn't mean much to today's gay youth. They are all far too mainstream, want to get married and adopt children. For them GM is just a freak from goneby days with all his praising of promiscuity and cruising and even calling this "my culture". Unfortunately the straightwashing of GM by his predominantly female fans doesn't seem to concern the gay community at all.

by Anonymousreply 604/16/2019

GM is someone a Millenial gay's mom twerked to a dozen years ago at HP Pavillion in San Jose. So embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 704/16/2019

How odd that gay people have no regard for their own historical figures, especially those in the entertainment field, given their obsession with it.

by Anonymousreply 804/16/2019

It he want gay.....bi with a hang up about it

by Anonymousreply 904/16/2019

R2 Mariah is actually a fan of George.

by Anonymousreply 1004/16/2019
by Anonymousreply 1104/16/2019

George is criminally underrated.

by Anonymousreply 1204/16/2019

He liked men with tiny hands, and he wanted them to call him “daddy.” According to his lyrics!

by Anonymousreply 1304/16/2019

George Michael is not underrated, R12.

by Anonymousreply 1404/17/2019

It seems to me that gay men (for the most part) would rather celebrate female divas, than actual male divos. Whether or not they're gay themselves (Gaga, etc.)...

by Anonymousreply 1504/17/2019

R6, that assessment is sobering.

I think GM's oeuvre is difficult to understand unless you lived through the Wham! years and the Faith album. He rose quickly from 1982 to 1992 (in terms of fame and commercial success) and then wasn't in the global limelight much anymore, at least for his music. Although "Listen Without Prejudice" is my favorite of his albums, I remember that those around me at the time (college kids in the U.S. who had grown up with GM on their radios) didn't care much after the Freedom 90 vid.

He was still followed much more intensely in the UK, though.

Because he died on Christmas and I was "busy" that day, I've never fully absorbed that he passed away. His death didn't get the press I was expecting here in the U.S., which annoyed me but also kept my fuzzy notion that he was somehow still around.

by Anonymousreply 1604/17/2019

[quote]I have come to the conclusion that GM doesn't mean much to today's gay youth

I don't see anyone who's been trending for more than 15 minutes meaning much to them.

by Anonymousreply 1704/17/2019

The whitewashing of GM by his lovelies is despicable. They still entertain the notion he simply did not meet the girl of his dreams. They sweep under the rug anything he says about being a gay man -- from his cruising to love of sex. Then say focus only his music, but not on his sexual preferences. But GM is about his sexual preferences. He talked about that incessantly!

by Anonymousreply 1804/17/2019

Not an icon. He was forced out of the closet after an arrest and embraced being only when he had no choice. Gay male icons were proud about being gay.

by Anonymousreply 1904/17/2019

[quote]Gay male icons were proud about being gay.

Gay male icons were straight women.

by Anonymousreply 2004/17/2019

R19 He could crawl back to closet and marry a woman like what many others did but he didn't he was a true icon.

and he wasn't bearding for at least 10 years prior his arrest. No one was out back then at least he didn't lavender marry a lesbian and didn't pretend to be a pussy hound by having a new beard every week (see DiCaprio).

by Anonymousreply 2104/17/2019

No, surprised how little impact his death has had. Also really surprised that Boy George has outlived ALL of them.

by Anonymousreply 2204/17/2019

R22 - omg, that is a good point!!

by Anonymousreply 2304/17/2019

R18 You forgot to mention that they are convinced that he would have given up drugs, if he had not only married a woman, but had children. I want to puke, when I read their palaver about what a wonderful father he would have been and that he would still be alive, if he only had had kids. Urgh! As if having a child had ever cured one drug addict. I really pity children of drug addicts.

by Anonymousreply 2404/17/2019

Well to be fair; he played into it. Even after coming out as ‘gay’ he talked about how he would have sex with women...so....

by Anonymousreply 2504/17/2019

This is news to me. Didn't know he produced a documentary on reparative therapy on gay teens. He's way ahead of his time

by Anonymousreply 26Last Thursday at 6:04 AM

R25 What interviews did he talk about having sex with women after he was outed? I must have missed that

by Anonymousreply 27Last Thursday at 6:18 AM

MJ has the weirdest and most evil fans. I'll always love GM because I thing he was a genuinely good person who struggled with himself. He was soooo beautiful in his youth too. His politics were also great.

by Anonymousreply 28Last Thursday at 7:44 AM

[quote]will he go down in history for having the weirdest bunch of fans?

Surely Michael Jackson's got that covered. Or Insane Clown Posse.

by Anonymousreply 29Last Thursday at 7:55 AM

George was the male Madonna... he left a lot of money to good charities. He had some demons but we all do. His #1 chart run of Wham and Faith was thrilling... he deserves respect in remembrance.

by Anonymousreply 30Last Thursday at 8:00 AM

George was the male Madonna.

The difference was that he was a good song writer and he could sing well.

"Kissing a Fool" and "Freedom" are my favorites and proof of his underrated talents.

Loved him. Such a sad story with people still picking at his carcass.

by Anonymousreply 31Last Thursday at 8:20 AM

R27 a GQ interview in about 2006 if I recall correctly

by Anonymousreply 32Last Thursday at 11:49 AM

Sorry, George had a few classics but I thought a lot of his "hits" were Melody Challenged. Droning ballads especially.

by Anonymousreply 33Last Thursday at 12:09 PM

(Like "A Different Corner", for one. ZZZzzz...)

by Anonymousreply 34Last Thursday at 12:14 PM

R25 Sexuality is not as black and white as you think.

by Anonymousreply 35Last Thursday at 7:58 PM

R26 He was a great man.

by Anonymousreply 36Last Thursday at 7:59 PM

R35 ? Huh how do you make that assumption about my thoughts on sexuality? I was merely pointing out how HE talked about wanting to fuck woman even after calling himself gay.

Get off my dick, you twat

by Anonymousreply 37Last Thursday at 8:03 PM

Will people stop saying he is underrated, R31! George has been lauded for both his singing and his songwriting by music critics forever. Learn what a word means before you use it. Some of you are the kind of people who rate eveything as iconic.

by Anonymousreply 38Last Thursday at 8:54 PM

I am hoping as more gay men come out, they will become idols to younger men, but it seems diva worship is more popular than ever.

But no, only fraus liked him. What year did Elton come out, I know it was before George's arrest. I despise Elton's personality, but he will be more remembered as a gay icon.

Being closeted, busted for cruising, probably Pos has ruined his legacy

by Anonymousreply 39Last Thursday at 9:02 PM

DL bully queens don't deserve him go stan your closeted fake ass celebrities George Clowney, DiCaprio and Brat Pitt.

Or closeted female singers and actresses in lavender marriages -> Madonna, Whitney and more.

by Anonymousreply 40Last Thursday at 10:46 PM

Elton was lavender married to a woman and Freddie said he was in common in law marriage with his beard yet they are gay icons but George is not!? lol

by Anonymousreply 41Last Thursday at 10:48 PM

R38 He was underrated compared to his contemporaries.

by Anonymousreply 42Last Thursday at 10:49 PM

Sure. He's not as big as Elton, Freddie, and Bowie tho.

by Anonymousreply 43Last Thursday at 10:50 PM

Didn't George pretend to date woman, though?

by Anonymousreply 44Last Thursday at 10:57 PM

R44 maybe one or two and for 4/5 years and it was 1980s it was a very different time.

by Anonymousreply 45Last Thursday at 11:12 PM

I think the Asian girl Kathy was really his gf .

but I'm sure that Pat Fernandez was a beard and Brooke Shields is a known lesbian and serial beard in the entertainment industry. George briefly fake dated Shields for few months I think.

by Anonymousreply 46Last Thursday at 11:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!