Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Star Trek: Discovery (Part 4)

Continue discussing the show and Rebecca Romijn's celeb status here...

by Anonymousreply 859 hours ago

Previous thread.

by Anonymousreply 104/07/2019

I *AM* big. It's the Enterprise that got small.

by Anonymousreply 204/07/2019

Romijn is probably so thankful for the bit role in Discovery. As I mentioned in the other thread, having Star Trek on her resume increases her ability to book conventions/fan expos. I suspect those events will be a major source of income for her as career continues to decline.

by Anonymousreply 304/07/2019

Okay, you've all convinced me; I'm coming around on Romijn being this huge star. But do you honestly believe she'd be shameless enough to benefit from cons for the rest of her life, after having only been in two (three?) episodes? I mean, I've seen extras from TNG do that, sure, but it seems like something that would be beneath a bigger name like Romijn.

I don't mind her appearing at cons because she's a part of the family now, but benefiting financially from them seems icky to me somehow.

by Anonymousreply 404/07/2019

But can we stop this Black-assed Baby Girl crap?

Every time I hear Baby Girl I cringe.

Hundreds of years in the future, I picture Dr. Burnham saying My Daughter.

by Anonymousreply 504/07/2019

[quote]I don't mind her appearing at cons because she's a part of the family now, but benefiting financially from them seems icky to me somehow.

Why? Have you ever been to a con, or seen clips on YouTube? Trekkies are an incredibly welcoming bunch, and the best con guests (Marina Sirtis is my absolute favorite) seem to really love doing it as well. Romjin gives off kind of a cool (not as in cold) vibe to me, and I could see her enjoying herself.

Or, another way, she appeared in two seasons of a 15-minute Adult Swim parody show called NTSF:SD:SUV (with Kate Mulgrew, actually). She didn't consider herself above that.

by Anonymousreply 604/07/2019

[quote]Why?

I explained why above - because she's only in two (maybe three) episodes of Trek in total. She just ordered a fucking hamberder with hot sauce and briefed Pike so far, that's it! I'm very much open to changing my mind, depending on what she does in these last two episodes.

[quote]Or, another way, she appeared in two seasons of a 15-minute Adult Swim parody show called NTSF:SD:SUV (with Kate Mulgrew, actually). She didn't consider herself above that.

I love that show! Makes me laugh just thinking about Mulgrew with that eyepatch. But those niche comedy shows are a separate thing. People don't consider celebs losing cred when they do those; quite the opposite, in fact.

by Anonymousreply 704/07/2019

R4 In terms of earnings potential, it’s not just Star Trek conventions that Romijn can book. There are a lot of general fan conventions happening all over the world (example MegaCon) where celebrities make appearances and take pictures with fans. Even “relevant” actors do them from time to time. Star Trek adds to Romijn’s appeal when it comes to these cons, even if she only appears in two episodes.

by Anonymousreply 804/08/2019

OK DL'ers ...

Honest opinion (as much as be gotten on the site).

I subscribe to multiple streaming servies. Is CBS worth it? I'm a giant Star Trek nerd. The Twilight Zone series looks good. The Good Fight also looks good.

I'm just hesitant to add CBS to ....

Netflix Hulu Amazon Prime

$200 cable bill (which includes HBO, Showtime, and Cinemax).

I'll probably be "forced" to subscribe to Disney+ as well as DC Universe in the near future.

Is it worth it?

by Anonymousreply 904/08/2019

[quote]I subscribe to multiple streaming servies. Is CBS worth it? I'm a giant Star Trek nerd. The Twilight Zone series looks good. The Good Fight also looks good.

I would honestly say that it depends. Disco by itself is worth it to me. Disco plus all of the programing that's coming down the pike, worth it.

But I can also see how one show wouldn't be for a lot of people.

by Anonymousreply 1004/08/2019

If you have good antivirus coverage and a strong firewall and know how to deal with screamware, then

Everything you want to watch that is episodic is there to be watched.

by Anonymousreply 1104/08/2019

I wish this Star Trek wasn't successful. I care far more for the new ST show with the return of Patrick 'Captain Picard' Stewart than this Discovery shit, mainly because we're FINALLY getting back to the Next Gen/DS9/Voyager timeline/continuity rather than this "prequel" crap without an explanation of why Starfleet had this Apple technology crap before Kirk and his crew.

by Anonymousreply 1204/09/2019

I'm kinda with r12. The show's production value is excellent, and yet it doesn't feel like a Star Trek show I need to have. - so far. I get it that I am not the target audience anymore, being way over forty. And a modern show shouldn't be "your dad's Star Trek". I also understand that Star Trek shows shouldn't just be continuations pf older shows.

But this show is missing the mark in one very important aspect, imho. The former approach to take on contemporary issues, in lots of different playful ways, does just not happen in this show. And unrelated to this: It's too ADD to seriously handle any topic. Its reliance on plot over story will also hurt the show long term. It won't be doing too well in reruns if the big reveal at the end of the season explains everything. Not sure if this matters for shows on streaming services. I would think though that shows still need to stay attractive for viewers even after the first couple months of publication. For a first time run it's enjoyable, but not more. I'll just apply my long term Star Trek experience and assume that the show really hits its stride in season 3 or 4.

by Anonymousreply 1304/10/2019

[quote]I wish this Star Trek wasn't successful.

I honestly don't understand how anyone beyond the age of twelve can type out a sentence like that. If you don't enjoy the show, simply tune out. Why must only those things that align with your particular tastes be allowed to thrive? How much more solipsistic can one get? By the way, wishing for the first Trek show featuring a gay couple to bomb is not a good look on anyone, but especially not on someone posting on a homosexual message board.

Also, this is the second most streamed foreign show in Germany (behind the Big Bang Theory) and the most streamed foreign show in Spain. It's doing marvelously and (I assume) picking up new [italic]and younger[/italic] fans all the time. Having said that, I do hope the third season calms down a bit and we get some classic exploring for a change. In these two seasons, we got the Klingons, Mirror Universe, time travel, Section 31/AI. That was all fun and different and now I could do with just one season of them discovering shit on a weekly basis.

Oh, and if anyone is expecting the Picard show to not have "the Apple aesthetic" and default back to the TNG hotel lobby / Cadillac interior of the '90s... you better get a new pair of panties ready right now because honey, come the first episode, they gonna be twistin' like nobody's business.

by Anonymousreply 1404/11/2019

Since Picard’s show will be set in the far future from Discovery, and a post TNG/DS9/Voy timeline, I think the “Apple” aesthetic will make far more sense. You play yourself there r14.

by Anonymousreply 1504/11/2019

You know what, you don't like the show, you don't like the show.

That episode was fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 1604/11/2019

And I can already hear the Tilly/Po fanfic being written.

by Anonymousreply 1704/11/2019

This has been discussed before, but the Mary Sue is simply out of control on this show. Must Burnham be and do EVERYTHING? I mean, Spock's job is apparently to stand there. They even gave her the "Fascinating." line. ARGH!

by Anonymousreply 1804/11/2019

Also, the use of Sarek and Amanda purely to show up and cry was criminal writiing malpractice. Make it stop.

by Anonymousreply 1904/11/2019

r15 It's supposed to be roughly the same aesthetic as the TNG era, so the Apple aesthetic makes about as much sense as in the DISCO era. Of course, I never much cared for in-universe explanations as Trek shows are scripted shows that are constantly changing in all aspects to reflect the times they're being produced in. Your old ass might be nostalgic for those cardboard TOS sets (which I love!), but this is 2019 and people expect a different look now.

Here's a nice demonstration of how the Enterprise bridge has changed from the original show, to the movies, to yesterday's episode.

by Anonymousreply 2004/12/2019

My gripe with the DISCO look is that all of the spaces seem WAY too large. The bridge is huge, it should be a more intimate space. The hallways are too wide, the crew cabins are vast and empty, everything is just scaled up too much. Nothing looks solid or 'lived-in.'

That WTF WITH ALL THE LENS FLARE?!

by Anonymousreply 2104/12/2019

I disagree; I love how cavernous and monumental that bridge looks. When Pike took leave of it yesterday, he looked like Zeus departing Mount Olympus in all his glory. And may I say again what a ridiculously flattering edit he got. This is a character who required no rehabilitation whatsoever, but was treated with dignity and respect by the writers all the way through, and came out as one of the best captains in all of Trek for some fans.

The lens flare is a matter of personal preference. I can't get it enough, personally, as it gives the proceedings an added fantastical quality. I do notice those who don't like it tend to [italic]really[/italic] dislike it.

I would agree with the personal quarters not looking lived-in, but I can't recall those looking lived-in in any Trek show before. They always tend to look like a tastefully arranged furniture store display. I guess having military standards factors into that as well.

by Anonymousreply 2204/12/2019

*I can't get enough of it

Anyone else glad Stamets and Culber didn't get back together in some romantic cliché of a moment? I mean, it could still happen next episode, but I hope it doesn't. Relationships sometimes don't work out in real life and that's fine to show on TV as well.

by Anonymousreply 2304/12/2019

Picard's show starts filming next week under the fake title "Crosby Street".

I know DL is divided on pitbulls but just look at his darling doggo and her bed full of toys!

by Anonymousreply 2404/12/2019

The redesigned Enterprise bridge was beautiful. It puts the Discovery bridge to shame. That should have been the aesthetic for the entire show: it references the past but also feels fresh.

by Anonymousreply 2504/12/2019

It looked too cluttered to me to the point that my eyes didn't know where to look. I prefer the spartan monochromatic design of Voyager and Discovery myself.

r17 So I wasn't the only one who got that vibe from those couple of pregnant pauses. I doubt they'll go there, though. Also, the queen isn't going with them to the future, is she?

by Anonymousreply 2604/12/2019

so predictions for the finale bitches?

So if they're sticking with the original timeline then we know Spock will not be going with Discovery and Michael (indeed, next week's trailer seems to suggest that). I think Reno will sacrifice herself somehow in order to prevent everyone's deaths given that she had the same visions Michael had. There is a shot of the Discovery exploding in the trailer which could suggest that only Michael makes it to the future, but the short Trek episode Calypso shows that discovery is abandoned for a 1000 years which then suggests the ship survives.

by Anonymousreply 2704/12/2019

r27 Agree with all that. The vision Reno and Michael had is the real unknown here that will fuck everything up. Reno is definitely not going to make it out alive, which will piss off many fans.

Calypso needs to make sense. But where will the others go in the meantime? And where will Michael go? The goodbyes they had her do in the last episode had a real sense of finality to them so might SMG be out of this show for good? The showrunners also keep saying canonical inconsistencies will be resolved by the end of this season - will Discovery be shifted into a parallel timeline or erased from time altogether?

I just hope we get another Hell yeah! moment at the very end, like last season.

by Anonymousreply 2804/13/2019

WTF's SMG?

by Anonymousreply 2904/13/2019

Sonequa Martin-Green.

by Anonymousreply 3004/13/2019

Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 3104/13/2019

R28 L'Rell said that anyone who takes a time crystal does so at great personal sacrifice. We know what PIke's fate is, so the question is what are MIchael's and Reno's scarifies going to be? My hunch is Reno is a goner, she will do something to save Discovery and its crew from death so that leaves Michael.

I have three possible conclusions running in my head:

1) Michael and Discovery make it to the future minus Spock and Georgiou and the show moves on from this point. Discovery and everything about her will be classified which is why we never hear about the ship again. The sad part is this true we will likely never see Sarek, Amanda, Cornwall, Spock, Pike, and Georgiou on Discovery again.

2) Michael makes it to the future without Discovery (or an abandoned discovery) and restores the timeline and is basically deleted from the timeline (or dies as a child) and the show moves forward without her as if the first two seasons didn't take place...this seems less likely because I can't see the producers writing SMG out.

3) In a huge twist Discovery makes it to the future but every dies and the show rebooted for season 3. The only reason why I give this credit is that in an interview on Thursday night she refered to the season finale as the series finale three times "by mistake"

by Anonymousreply 3204/13/2019

Well fuck me, I was not ready for a two part ending.

The Queen and the Emperor were hysterical.

The wink from Pike on the transport was amazeballs.

Is Burnham the boring center of the wheel?

by Anonymousreply 3304/13/2019

r32 Your second option is very ballsy but would necessarily mean all of Pike's arc is erased as well, which the fans wouldn't stand for. The third option sounds a bit like Fuller's original plan, although he wanted every season to be standalone.

The first one is the most plausible, though I'll miss seeing the characters you've mentioned as well.

by Anonymousreply 3404/13/2019

R34 I agree the first one is most likely as it makes the most sense. Funny though, I'm not all that keen on the jump forward to the future. I get why the producers decided to that because for much of the first season fans were bitching and moaning about how the show doesn't match up to continuity. At the start of Discovery, while I wasn't hyper reactive like some fans were, I was a but annoyed at some of the more clear canon questions, but this season really sold Discovery to me and now I think moving the show to the future is actually a bad move. The easiest thing producers could have done was have the season conclude with it turning out the by Michael being saved as a child, we're now in an alternate timeline from the original show.

by Anonymousreply 3504/13/2019

r35 Alternate timelines are a marketing nightmare, so I doubt the execs would allow introducing yet another separate timeline into this franchise, as with the Kelvin movies. Especially with all these new shows lined up. Plus, it would give the detractors even more ammunition for their claims that this isn't "real Trek."

I really hope this is all clearly resolved or at least clearly established by the end of the last episode. I'll be royally pissed if the cliffhanger is open-ended and open to interpretation.

by Anonymousreply 3604/13/2019

R36 I actually think they should have just made Discovery a part of the Kelvin timeline - I know, I know the rights issues between Paramount & CBS would likely have prevented this but the show is Executive Produced by one of the Kelvin timeline writers and it's made under Bad Robot's Star Trek license (that's why they did the huge visual overhaul of the show).

I actually would have no issue with the show being in a 3rd separate timeline. First it allows writers and producers to do their own thing without having to always try and please the fans by keeping canon. Second, it would not invalidate what has come before it so CBS can keep merchandising the shit out of all the other Star Trek shows.

by Anonymousreply 3704/13/2019

I thought there were no bad ideas

by Anonymousreply 3804/13/2019

I would miss Admiral Cornwall. She didn't get much screen time this season, but she is an interesting character, played by a great actress. This season she was a wasted opportunity. Maybe she is on lay away for the Section 31 show.

by Anonymousreply 3904/13/2019

Possible spoilers:

So I just re-watched the Short Trek Calypso and it appears Discovery doesn't actually makes it to the future. Calypso takes place in the 33rd century and according to Zora, Discovery had been ordered to hold position within a nebula 1000 years ago. This would mean Discovery is left abandoned in the 23rd century. In the trailer for next week, we see the Red Angel suit (supposedly with Michael in it) enter the wormhole though the question is does she actually go to the future? And who sent the red signals? My theory control learns of Michael's plan, so they create a decoy to make Control think Discovery is now in the future but in reality it's hidden somewhere in the 23rd. Finally, I believe the signals are not from Michael but from Zora.

by Anonymousreply 40Last Sunday at 8:19 AM

r40 Crap, you're right; it was just parked there for a thousand years! In other words, Discovery must [italic]not [/italic] make it to the future in order for Calypso to make sense...

by Anonymousreply 41Last Sunday at 8:22 AM

R40 is actually stated on screen that Calypso takes place in the 33rd century?

by Anonymousreply 42Last Sunday at 8:53 AM

R39 Yeah, I hope Cornwell appears on the Section 31 show. I was actually surprised they brought her back so many times this season — even though she didn’t really have anything to do.

by Anonymousreply 43Last Sunday at 8:53 AM

She got to say "I'm cringing already", so her appearance was worth it for that line alone.

But she was also instrumental in alerting Pike to Control, being one of the few who was allowed to consult it.

by Anonymousreply 44Last Sunday at 8:57 AM

R40, you might be right. I know I sound very negative when I day this but your post, not you, exemplifies what I find wrong with the show:

At the beginning of the season there are some bright writers trying to figure out the most clever plots, up to the point to WTF-contrived plots for the season ending. Then they lay out the plot with mini WTF-contrived minor mile stones scattered throughout the season - always having in mind with what sensation they can surprise the fans week after week.

The result is fans' brains going into overdrive trying to figure out what every little bit of detail may mean. It's like a sugar rush. And you can be sure among hundreds of fans, somebody will post the right solution online. Among a hundred theories one will get it right for sure, even without spoiling knowledge. It's just how it works now. So for those who read online forums the surprise will be minimized.

What's left then for watching the show? And in terms of longevity, what keeps the show alive after its first run? From my experience it's character driven stories that makes people come back and re-watch episodes. I cannot see myself doing it with Discovery currently. Once this arc is resolved there is hardly a reason for me to watch this season again. The character driven pieces are so far and between scattered in convoluted plots that I feel it's not worth to go back.

by Anonymousreply 45Last Sunday at 9:03 AM

So the concept of time beyond the 33rd century is impossible??????

The TARDIS has gone much further.

by Anonymousreply 46Last Sunday at 9:03 AM

Sarek and Amanda have been around for two seasons now, so of course they'd need to have some closure with their daughter. Yes, they turned up just to say their farewells, but they also kept popping up previously to advance the narrative, so it's not like that was their only appearance or anything. I thought that first shot of them when Michael saw them in the corridor was very effective and warm. I enjoy seeing people have a nice relationship both with their actual and their other family, composed of coworkers and friends.

Amanda is my favorite DISCO character, so I'm going to really miss her going forward.

by Anonymousreply 47Last Sunday at 9:17 AM

R47, I get your point, but the whole katra link is so idiotic it just makes the setup worse. If Sarek were to sense the possibility Michael might go away, why didn't the katra link bring them when she was about to die?

by Anonymousreply 48Last Sunday at 10:33 AM

My theory on what happens in the season finale - John de Lancie pops in and says to Sonequa Martin-Green, "Don't you see, Burnham? It was a test all along!"

by Anonymousreply 49Last Sunday at 12:17 PM

r49, Q vs the Red Angel vs Control...BRILLIANT!!!

by Anonymousreply 50Last Sunday at 12:22 PM

Another thing that makes me think Discovery won't travel to the future. Last month CBS Television Studios president David Stapf confirmed that Michelle Yeoh's Section 31 spin-off won't start production until next year but that Yeoh will be in season 3 of Discovery. I guess it's possible she travels to the future with Discovery but it feels like their setting Section 31 up to go classified after the finale and Yeoh being set up to take the division over.

by Anonymousreply 51Last Sunday at 1:01 PM

Calypso's time frame of the 33rd Century was confirmed by Discovery's producers after the episode aired. So we know that Discovery is indeed abandoned in the 23rd century. The V'draysh (the species that Craft's people from Alcor IV are at war with) appear to the be the Federation.

by Anonymousreply 52Last Sunday at 5:22 PM

There's now a petition for a Pike/Spock spin-off (Though wouldn't a show about Pike and Spock on the Enterprise, NOT be a spin-off, and just be Star Trek come full circle??)

by Anonymousreply 53Last Sunday at 5:33 PM

Mount said CBS is going to look at that petition if it gets enough signatures. Of course he wants the work!

by Anonymousreply 54Last Sunday at 5:36 PM

DISCO season 3 is filming 8th July to 31st December, and next set of live-action Short Treks are filming 14th May to 30th May.

Season finale tonight!

by Anonymousreply 55Last Thursday at 5:11 AM

All hands on deck! Damn, I will miss him. I readily admit that as a die-hard TOS fundie, I fell prey to Discovery's blatant attempt to manipulate old fans by bringing Pike and Spock aboard. I checked in for this one season and will check right back out now. Anson and Ethan were gifts!

by Anonymousreply 56Last Thursday at 8:27 AM

Oh, just you wait until they wheel Shatner out at the very end of tonight's episode. You'll be right back next season!

by Anonymousreply 57Last Thursday at 8:40 AM

I was so cringed out by the empress. She's seventeen, a genius AND royalty, she appears out of nowhere with world changing tech mentioned nowhere else in Star Trek, and she likes ice cream lol. I have a high tolerance for cringe and even enjoy Giorgiou in her more cheeseball moments but this is pure tumblr dreck.

by Anonymousreply 58Last Thursday at 11:50 AM

She da QUEEN!

Giorgiou is the Emperor.

by Anonymousreply 59Last Thursday at 12:10 PM

[quote]she appears out of nowhere with world changing tech mentioned nowhere else in Star Trek

Except in the Short Trek titled "Runaway", which was released before this season started. Though I can see how someone who hasn't seen that might find her confusing.

by Anonymousreply 60Last Thursday at 12:41 PM

To me, there's nothing more Star Trek than seeing a bunch of different people working together to solve a problem.

This was that in spades.

by Anonymousreply 61Last Thursday at 5:27 PM

Unpopular opinion, but Spock looked better with the beard.

by Anonymousreply 62Last Thursday at 6:29 PM

That was a damn movie. Very disappointed that we didn't get a coda with Discovery in the future but I guess the writers need time to come up with some new shit. Always wanted to see gravity malfunction on a ship and now I got to see it! Just a spectacular sequence.

Georgiou in the future? What about her Section 31 spinoff?

r62 Yup, that beard was very flattering to his face, especially when paired with the Spock wig.

by Anonymousreply 63Last Thursday at 6:38 PM

R62 I thought the same thing way better with the beard, and actually blue is not Ethan Peck's color!

Funny enough the ending of the episode makes me want a Pike/Enterprise spin-off more than ever!

by Anonymousreply 64Last Thursday at 7:22 PM

The final scene of the episode makes me want a Pike spin-off so bad!

SPOILERS: I'm so glad Reno made it, but fuck Admiral Cornwall :( My question why couldn't she have been beamed out of there after she closed the blast doors? The transporters were still working.

by Anonymousreply 65Last Thursday at 7:49 PM

Number One's name is not Number One.

by Anonymousreply 66Last Thursday at 9:34 PM

[quote]why couldn't she have been beamed out of there after she closed the blast doors? The transporters were still working.

Oh, that's just the beginning. How, if the torpedo going off would blast open 4 decks and kill the entire bridge crew would one blast door within feet of the blast not be blown to smithereens. Yet, Pike felt safe just standing there. Blast doors are magical.

by Anonymousreply 67Last Thursday at 9:38 PM

I saw someone joking that they should make an entire ship out of blast doors, if they're so impervious to damage. Yet another one suggested she could have tied a rope to the lever and yanked it from the other side. Or, you know, scooted under the door while there was still time.

But situations like these are a staple in Trek so I'm not that bothered. She went out like a boss.

by Anonymousreply 68a day ago

Agree that blue washes Ethan out. On the other hand, Nimoy always looked like a ghost on TOS, so...

Doesn't his face have a phallic quality to it? It just screams juicy veiny COCK to me.

by Anonymousreply 69a day ago

At least they're not trying to achieve a faintly green skin tone on Spock anymore.

by Anonymousreply 70a day ago

Interesting article about the future of the show. Kurtzman confirms season 3 will take place in the 33rd Century - problem with this is based on Voyager and Enterprise canon, by the 29th century time travel is common place which means it shouldn't be hard for the Discovery crew to get home. Then again, they could just explain it that given Discovery must remain classified the crew can never return. He says the decision to move the show's time period was done to show Discovery's place in canon and to free the writers from the restraints of being a prequel. He also said that the Michelle Yeoh's Section 31 series will show us how it became the shadow organization we saw on DS9 which suggests that Georgiou will make it back to the 23rd century.

Here's the thing, I agree with Kurtzman that moving the show to the future frees the writers a great deal (always said the show should have been like TNG and took place decades after Nemesis) but I feel like they wrote this whole season just to appease a small (but vocal) group of fans who hate the show and will still hate the show regardless. I feel like this huge leap forward devalues the show, and while I'm glad they didn't reboot the show by basically deleting the first two seasons, I feel like the easiest solution would just say that Burnham's mother created a new alternate timeline by saving Michael from death and as such, we're in a new timeline. This would have allowed writers to make winks to canon but set a new course and I also think it might have been a more popular ending given that we could have kept Pike and Spock.

by Anonymousreply 7119 hours ago

[quote]I feel like they wrote this whole season just to appease a small (but vocal) group of fans who hate the show and will still hate the show regardless. I feel like this huge leap forward devalues the show,

I agree. While I don't think all of the criticism about canon was due to this, for at least a large subset of the people griping, this was just a convenient excuse to complain about the show being led by women, people of color, and gay people without actually appearing overtly racist.

I'm not opposed to the setting change, but I still feel like there's a lot of storytelling possibility in the pre-TOS era. I'm also not ruling out seeing Pike et al again in some way, even as like a movie or miniseries. Those parts seemed to have been universally liked.

I wonder if Tig Notaro's schedule will allow Reno to be a bigger part of the season. I gathered that part of the reason we didn't see her more was due to availability issues. I'm also really glad Nhan survived, because she kept having near-misses throughout the season, and I figured they were lulling us into a false sense of security.

I'm really bummed about losing Cornwell and L'Rell. I mean, Cornwell got to go out like a badass, and it was delightful seeing L'Rell so pumped to be able to be in a battle, but I really liked both characters.

by Anonymousreply 7219 hours ago

[quote]I feel like they wrote this whole season just to appease a small (but vocal) group of fans who hate the show and will still hate the show regardless. I feel like this huge leap forward devalues the show,

r71 I also agree with the first part of that but I still prefer this over creating a new timeline which that vocal minority can simply dismiss as an "SJW bubble of Trek" that they can fully pretend never happened. So now we're getting a sequel because some fans want rainbow-coloured phasers and stunning ship designs and gods know what else. Meanwhile, the human stories and the themes being explored will remain much the same they were during TOS, which is what Trek is to me.

I was shocked that Reno didn't die and that Georgiou made it to the future. Reno is fully a Commander so on the same rank as Michael and Saru. Wonde rho that'll play out.

r72 Cornwell did start to feel like the last relic of the Lorca era this season, but I was sad to see her go nonetheless. I'm sure L'Rell will stick around for the Section 31 show. I liked her a lot in this episode and just in general as well. And of course, Nhan evading her redshirt fate and surviving was great to see.

by Anonymousreply 7319 hours ago

Just finished e14

Well THAT was intense.

Watching the Emperor Kill Control was SOOOOOO satisfying and then the attack ended.

Watching the genesis of the TOS was kinda nice with the clean shaven Spock.

I could have sworn that I heard Shatner's voice for one sentence.

And now we know that Burnham is the unspeakable.

by Anonymousreply 7416 hours ago

R72 I agree that a lot of people's contempt for the show is thinly veiled racism, sexism and homophobia. Also a lot of purists who can stand the fact that they updated the visuals and styles of the show and what it completely stuck with the 60s theme that just doesn't work any more.

That being said, I'm still mixed about moving the show forward 1000 years. I think it had more to do with the writers wanting to be free of the canon of the previous shows but it's funny because this season really sold me on Discovery being a prequel.

R73 I actually think the decision to kill Cornwell was mostly to alleviate any questions about where she was in TOS. She one basically one of the most important admirals in Starfleet so this explains why we never saw her in the Kirk era. Her death was my biggest issue with the episode. They could have beamed her out of the room or made a pully system to close the door when they were both in the turbolift.

I'm hoping Reno has a larger part next season. I think the whole reason why she was in so few episodes was originally Tig Notaro was only going to be in one episode - she is a personal friend of Alex Kurtzman and he asked her to make an appearance. She was so well recieved that they told her to come back whenever she could. Notaro was in the middle of a stand-up tour and could only do a few episodes. Hopefully she signed on to a larger part next year.

by Anonymousreply 7514 hours ago

I'm cautiously optimistic with the new showrunner, Michelle Paradise. Granted, given how cursed the production have been, she may already have been fired, but she got the job on the strength of her first episode, the one about Airiam. They additionally asked her to contribute to both parts of the finale after being so pleased with the first one.

She seems to really get the emotional, human beats, and that, to me, is exactly what the show needs.

by Anonymousreply 7614 hours ago

One thing I forgot to mention last week was how disturbed I was by that sequence of Detmer getting shot in the head and immediately after that Owo getting killed and her corpse sliding off the console with the eyes open. Last time I was so upset in Trek was when Tasha was killed by Armus on TNG.

Going back to the finale, Calypso still doesn't make sense to me. Also, how are they going to repair the ship that is badly damaged? Why didn't they just remain in the present after Georgiou killed Leland? The Starfleet Command apparently had no problem purging the rest of Control on their own. WIll Michael's mom's arc going to be resolved? I don't understand the Terralysium connection either. Why did her mother save those people? What did they get from that colony that they got from the other places where the red signals were seen? Is that where Discovery has landed in the future?

r76 Yup, I have full faith in Paradise. Those emotional, human beats you mentioned are my favourite thing about DISCO. Ffs, I was sobbing during the finale because I totally believed that a white Vulcan and a black human were brother and sister. That's how much the writing sold me on their relationship.

by Anonymousreply 7714 hours ago

I am a HUGE Star Trek fan and I hated season one for its complete disregard of canon. They won me back some in season 2 and the ending completely got me on board for season 3. I completely reject that people's criticisms of Discovery was because of sexism or racism. Do people forget that we have had Star Treks starring a woman (Voyager) and a black man (DS9), which are beloved by the very people accused of sexism and racism? The problem was that the behind the scenes people made poor decisions. Sending the ship to the 23 century is where it should have been all along because of the look of the ship. The ship just did not fit in a pre-TOS time line. I loved how with the Enterprise they melded an updated look with the aesthetics of TOS, that should have been the look for the entire show from the beginning. I still maintain that there was NO reason to redesign the look of the Klingons, whose look had become iconic.

by Anonymousreply 7813 hours ago

[quote]Do people forget that we have had Star Treks starring a woman (Voyager) and a black man (DS9), which are beloved by the very people accused of sexism and racism?

Kate Mulgrew got death threats in the first season of VOY.

by Anonymousreply 7913 hours ago

R79 But then the show went on to be beloved and she was accepted by the fan base. Star Trek fans have accepted that the show universe includes strong female and black characters for almost thirty years now.

by Anonymousreply 8013 hours ago

And now DISCO has gone on to be beloved as well. I'm sorry, but the SJW freakout happened during TNG and DS9 and VOY as well, before people got used to it (I think ENT largely escaped unharmed as people were so starved for new Trek). And they were even nastier back then because some of that rhetoric isn't acceptable anymore today, even with their chief enabler in the White House.

I was on Reddit when DISCO was announced and there was [italic]horrific[/italic] homophobia and racism on display there. So much so that it made me ill and I had to take a break from it all for a while. I can't tell you how many times [italic]per day[/italic] I saw a new thread titled "Why are they shoving these gay characters down our throats? They're just tokens! Why can't they just tell a Trek story without this liberal agenda?!"

And now people are fine with the gay characters even though their romantic arc had probably the most screen time. Because it takes a while for people to get used to these new elements that were previously seen as threatening only because they have never been included before. That's exactly how any sort of stigma is dealt with in general, by the way.

by Anonymousreply 8112 hours ago

R81 I would say that those people weren't true Trekkies, but people who will attach themselves to anything they think they can use to push their position. Most fans, like me, who have had major problems with Discovery, love The Orville, which doesn't shy away from strong female or homosexual characters.

by Anonymousreply 8212 hours ago

[quote]I would say that those people weren't true Trekkies

I happen to agree but that's a slippery slope that in the end needs a committee to determine who is, in fact, a true Trekkie. I guess it's better to just patiently engage with those people or ignore them completely, and hope they come around eventually. Social change is slow - that interracial kiss on TOS certainly didn't end racism among Trek fandom overnight either.

by Anonymousreply 8312 hours ago

He's totally getting his own series, isn't he?

by Anonymousreply 8412 hours ago

I cannot get over how different Ethan Peck looks without the beard!

The reception of Discovery reminds me of the reception of TNG (I'm dating myself hahaha). Many fans loathed it - Star Trek couldn't be Trek without Kirk/Spock/McCoy. However, by the third season the show had overcome its turbulent beginnings became beloved and I would argue the only spin-off to crossover into mainstream television. Because TNG was syndicated it was not included in the Nielson ratings, but it's estimated that at its peak TNG would have likely been in the top 10 most watched shows on TV. Discovery had a rocky start in its first season (as all Trek spin-offs do) but I think this season has proven Discovery's worth and place in the franchise.

R78 I have to disagree with you that prejudice doesn't play a role in people's dislike of the show. I do think the majority of the fandom's issues with the show stems from concerns about continuity and some of the mistakes the show has made, but there is a vocal minority, particularly on youtube (dave cullen, midnight's edge, overlord dvd, etc.) that constantly bitch about the show's "pc culture" .

by Anonymousreply 859 hours ago
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!