Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Rita Coolidge

Remember Rita from the 70s? Loved her voice, look and songs.

Any other fans?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 21, 2020 2:19 PM

And this big hit by Boz Scaggs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1March 21, 2019 4:13 PM

She and Cher bore a slight resemblance. A natural beauty...until Cher went cray cray with the plastic surgery.

by Anonymousreply 2March 21, 2019 4:15 PM

Her best role was playing herself as a presenter at the Grammy Awards in A Star is Born.

by Anonymousreply 3March 21, 2019 4:16 PM

Rita always sang like she'd just taken a couple of valiums

by Anonymousreply 4March 21, 2019 4:18 PM

She was married to sexy Kris Kristofferson.

by Anonymousreply 5March 21, 2019 4:19 PM

I read her autobiography a couple years ago. It was a decent & quick read with a few interesting tidbits: Kristofferson quit drinking cold turkey after he saw the final cut of A Star Is Born and realized he was essentially playing himself & destined to become a self parody (by this point, he had also hit Rita a couple of times when he was raging drunk, which was the last straw for her).

She wrote the famous coda of Eric Clapton's "Layla." It appears in a song called "Time" recorded by her sister Priscilla and Priscilla's then husband, Booker T. Jones (of Booker T. & the MG's.). At the time she wrote it, she was dating legendary session musician drummer Jim Gordon (who later succumbed to paranoid schizophrenia and murdered his mother with a hammer). Gordon flat out stole the piece and presented it to Clapton as his own. Coolidge said she refrained from suing because the royalties from "Layla" helped support Gordon's daughter, who was just a little girl when her father killed her grandmother. Pretty big of Rita.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6March 21, 2019 4:35 PM

She was like the female Perry Como. I always imagined her lying on the stage face down as she sang.

by Anonymousreply 7March 21, 2019 4:44 PM

Rita's contribution to the James Bond franchise. Allegedly, Cubby Broccoli's wife kept playing Rita's albums to persuade him to use her for a Bond song. John Barry wrote the music and Tim Rice the lyrics; r6 can correct me if I'm wrong, but I've also heard that Rita is not a fan of the song, as it kept being re-written during recording and she felt it was never "finished." Although it barely made it into the top 40 of the Hot 100, it went to #1 on the Adult Contemporary chart for 4 weeks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 21, 2019 4:46 PM

She really sucked.

by Anonymousreply 9March 21, 2019 5:07 PM

I always enjoyed this album. It has a beautiful rendition of Christine McVie's "Songbird". She definitely has the valium, laid back effect referenced by R4, but that's what made her easy to listen to.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10March 21, 2019 5:09 PM

Love Love Love her!

At the time Rita Coolidge, Roberta Flack, Phoebe Snow, and Carly Simon were my favorite women balladeers.

by Anonymousreply 11March 21, 2019 5:09 PM

Man I used to love to pick her up like a bowling ball.

by Anonymousreply 12March 21, 2019 5:14 PM

Tramp destroyed Crosby,Stills and Nash.An Barbara Streisands relationship with Kris Kristopherson....

I do like the song "Layla".....

by Anonymousreply 13March 21, 2019 5:21 PM

would listen to her, Ricky Lee Nicolette Larson all the time....usually stoned and unable to move

by Anonymousreply 14March 21, 2019 5:29 PM

She’s liked more than Jennifer Warnes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15March 21, 2019 5:30 PM

Didn’t Bette Midler once comment that Rita Coolidge had been arrested for loitering in front of a microphone?

She was an unusual choice to sing a James Bond theme. I remember reading when “Octopussy” was in production that Laura Branigan was being considered to sing the theme for the upcoming Bond film. That made more sense, because not only had she been on the charts more recently than Coolidge, but her style was more in keeping with the Bond theme tradition.

by Anonymousreply 16August 21, 2020 1:49 PM

She sing like Karen Carpenter on Quaaludes. Not a fan.

by Anonymousreply 17August 21, 2020 1:55 PM

She was the epitome of bland.

by Anonymousreply 18August 21, 2020 2:00 PM

She was before my time, and listening to the links here, she did sound like she was on tranquilizers. She must've been one of those "only in the 70s" stars. There were quite a few of them who only could've been stars in that decade.

by Anonymousreply 19August 21, 2020 2:05 PM

Catherine O’Hara captured her electrifying style!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 21, 2020 2:05 PM

[quote]Didn’t Bette Midler once comment that Rita Coolidge had been arrested for loitering in front of a microphone?

Loitering in front of an orchestra. And it was about "Miss Karen."

by Anonymousreply 21August 21, 2020 2:05 PM

[quote]Catherine O’Hara captured her electrifying style!

That's not O'Hara.

by Anonymousreply 22August 21, 2020 2:06 PM

Rita is 75 now and still kickin' around.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 21, 2020 2:14 PM

This is my favorite photo of Rita. She is of Native American Cherokee ancestry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 21, 2020 2:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!