Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Rita Coolidge or Jennifer Warnes?

This is your moment, eldergays. Go crazy!

by Anonymousreply 72December 30, 2020 11:48 PM

I've always adored Rita.

by Anonymousreply 1November 26, 2016 8:09 PM

Neither. Jennifer Coolidge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 26, 2016 8:10 PM

Ditto, R2.

by Anonymousreply 3November 26, 2016 8:12 PM

We need a sing-a-long.

by Anonymousreply 4November 26, 2016 8:18 PM

Rita had a better voice, but both had the charisma of a tranquilized cat.

by Anonymousreply 5November 26, 2016 8:24 PM

R5, maybe that's why I loved them both.

by Anonymousreply 6November 26, 2016 8:26 PM

This is the second-most important election this month.

by Anonymousreply 7November 26, 2016 9:55 PM

Jennifer Warnes. Her voice reminds me a lot of Linda Ronstadt meets Joan Baez.

by Anonymousreply 8November 26, 2016 10:12 PM

Warnes could really sing. I love this clip. (it's live right? not lip synced?)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 26, 2016 11:15 PM

I love Jennifer Warnes -- Famous Blue Raincoat is one of my favorite albums. For some reason, she hasn't recorded anything in years.

by Anonymousreply 10November 26, 2016 11:35 PM

Warnes beautiful voice, wonderful diction, delicate but powerful sound.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 27, 2016 3:32 AM

With the sound system breaking down, Warnes sings over Cohen's shoulder..back in the day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12November 27, 2016 3:39 AM

Neither. Maria Muldaur

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13November 27, 2016 3:54 AM

Im heartened to see Warnes' name on here. I thought she was mostly forgotten. Her records were wonderful, and, although I'm not a fan of Leonard Cohen, her cd of his songs -- Famous Blue Raincoat -- is for the ages. She would have had a bigger career than she did, but she opted out of touring to support her own music in favor of touring as Cohen's backup singer. That killed her momentum, although she had a few big movie soundtrack hits after that, but they didn't feel like "her" songs; she sounded like a voice for hire. A little trivia: she sang on the Smothers Brothers show as "Jennifer." Speaking of the Smothers Brothers, they were probably the first celebrities I had a crush on. They were both adorable.

by Anonymousreply 14November 27, 2016 4:00 AM

Warnes sang 3 Oscar winning Best Songs.

That must be a record, no?

by Anonymousreply 15November 27, 2016 4:30 AM

Jennie and Joe. Note the way she looks at him. I'm glad she had a few commercial hits to pay the bills, Cocker too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16November 27, 2016 4:44 AM

As a vocalist Rita Coolidge is not in the same league as Jennifer Warnes. Gorgeous vocal control, golden clear tones with such ring and resonance does not come along that often. This is deceptively beautiful singing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 27, 2016 5:02 AM

Warnes also sang the theme to Ragtime which was nominated but didn't win

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 27, 2016 5:05 AM

Hard Times Come Again No More. Everyone with a social conscience has sung this Stephen Foster song. Warnes leads complex choral harmonies, acapella.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 27, 2016 5:29 AM

Rita, she isn't a great singer, but had some catchy hits. "You" is a cover of an Australian disco singer's hit. I'm actually totally unfamiliar Jennifer Warnes .

by Anonymousreply 20November 27, 2016 11:36 AM

[quote]As a vocalist Rita Coolidge is not in the same league as Jennifer Warnes.

Exactly. Coolidge has some fun songs, so she probably has more fans, but Warnes is the more respected singer. Coolidge is just regarded as a pleasant singer.

by Anonymousreply 21November 27, 2016 2:12 PM

I don't know if Coolidge ever wrote songs, but Warnes did. This is a beautiful one she wrote about the love of her life dying in his 20s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22November 27, 2016 2:14 PM

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I do have a story about Jennifer Warnes.

Years ago the guy who writes Betty Bowers told a bunch of us at dinner that he had gotten of angry emails from Jennifer Warnes telling Betty over and over again "You CAN NOT use me!!!!!!"

He didn't know what the fuck she was going on about. Until he remembered that when he set up the site he had put in an auto respond to emails.

Warnes had apparently sent an email and got an autoresponder telling her that by sending Betty email she had consented to having her name and likeness used on billboards throughout America in Betty's "Send me Money to Help This Unsaved Trash!" campaign. Jennifer took it VERY seriously.

by Anonymousreply 23November 27, 2016 2:25 PM

R22's song is from the last album Warnes recorded -- in 2001! Anyone know why she stopped making music?

by Anonymousreply 24November 27, 2016 2:25 PM

"I Know a Heartache When I See One" by Jennifer is one of my favorite songs of all time.

by Anonymousreply 25November 27, 2016 3:30 PM

Um, did Warnes ever appear with Donny Osmond?

You gotta love the 70s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26November 27, 2016 5:57 PM

That's hilarious, R23!

I'm on team Jenn, for her gorgeous version of "Coming Back to You" alone.

by Anonymousreply 27November 27, 2016 6:01 PM

Warnes in a boring bitch.

by Anonymousreply 28November 27, 2016 8:40 PM

I like Jennifer Warnes' songs better, but Rita Coolidge is definitely prettier. Has anyone either seen either of them live?

by Anonymousreply 29August 19, 2018 5:03 PM

Buffy Sainte-Marie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30August 19, 2018 5:59 PM

Rita Coolidge if just for "We're All Alone."

by Anonymousreply 31August 19, 2018 6:01 PM

Jennifer Warnes singing the theme from Norma Rae, It Goes Like It Goes, is genius. Haunting, sad, exquisitively beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 32August 19, 2018 6:06 PM

The first time I saw Jennifer Warnes, she was Jennifer Warren appearing on The Smothers Brothers.

by Anonymousreply 33August 19, 2018 6:06 PM

I love Rita's "All Time High" song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34August 19, 2018 6:09 PM

I loved Rita Coolidge playing herself in the 1976 version of A Star is Born.

by Anonymousreply 35August 19, 2018 6:17 PM

Rita Coolidge--essence of dull--drove so many sexy men MAD with desire....didn't Kris Kristofferson nearly get in a duel over her? I could never, ever see the appeal....she was somnolent. When she covered a Jackie Wilson song, it was to die for--that is, to die from LAUGHTER.

by Anonymousreply 36August 19, 2018 6:33 PM

Rita Coolidge - I'd Rather Leave While I'm In Love

Beautiful song

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37August 19, 2018 7:31 PM

Rita Coolidge - We're All Alone

Another beauty...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38August 19, 2018 7:33 PM

Rita Coolidge

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39August 19, 2018 7:34 PM

Jennifer Warnes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40August 19, 2018 7:35 PM

JENNIFER WARNES Right Time of the Night

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41August 19, 2018 7:36 PM

by Anonymousreply 42January 4, 2019 5:58 AM

Warnes. "Famous Blue Raincoat" is one of my deserted island discs, and all of her work with the late, great Lenny C. is classic.

Her new album, "Another Time, Another Place," was released about six months ago. It's awfully darned good, too.

by Anonymousreply 43January 4, 2019 6:57 AM

Oh, so YOU'RE the one, R34!

by Anonymousreply 44January 4, 2019 11:23 AM

When "Right Time of the Night" first came out, I thought wow, great Linda Ronstadt song!

by Anonymousreply 45February 1, 2020 2:02 PM

It's interesting watching R16's clip. Jennifer looks very sweetly at Joe Cocker several times, but he ignores her.

I read that he was dick to her when then the recorded Up Where We Belong.

He never would have been involved if Jennifer, who was already on board because of another song she had sung for a previous film, hadn't suggested getting him to do it as a duet with her.

He told the studio to ditch her and let him do it as a solo.

He initially refused to even record with her.

The studio HATED the song. And tried to replace it, but ran out of time.

When it was released as a single, it bombed. But once people heard it in the movie, they bought it and it was a huge hit.

by Anonymousreply 46February 4, 2020 8:54 PM

Here is that hierophant, monk, sinner, ladies man, poet - the great L. Cohen. Back in the day. With Jennifer Warnes and Sharon Robinson prominently on background vocals. Sharon Robinson was still singing with L.C. on his final tour. Jenny kept coming back and leaving again...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47February 4, 2020 9:34 PM

Cohen had great taste in musicians, co writers, women and backup singers. Occasionally they were one and the same. He always made sure they had a chance to shine. And they seemed to always take something from him for their own sound. Sharon Robinson toured with him for 33 years and developed this beautiful voice and meditative charm when Cohen was forced back out there, broke and frail at 74 years old. For the next four years they toured the world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48February 4, 2020 10:00 PM

R31 We're All Alone - that's exactly why Rita got my vote. Every time I hear it, it breaks my heart. I was dating a gorgeous Elder at the time and the lyrics and her voice just tore me up.

by Anonymousreply 49February 4, 2020 10:05 PM

Rita always produced a narcotic effect. I mean, ESSENCE of boring. I never understood how all these hot men in Hollywood--Kris Kristofferson, etc.--were literally fighting over her. Evidently she had....something.

by Anonymousreply 50February 5, 2020 1:13 AM

R50 A magic pussy.

by Anonymousreply 51February 5, 2020 2:28 AM

I'd never heard this song before, but it is great:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52February 5, 2020 2:47 AM

^ That song won the Academy Award. It's one of Warnes only well known songs.

by Anonymousreply 53February 5, 2020 2:49 AM

I had the time of my life....also well known.

Were she and Cohen lovers?

by Anonymousreply 54December 30, 2020 6:21 PM

Warnes by.a hair. She would have easily won by a landslide, but I loathed the duets for which she is best known. Her solo stuff is great.

I did love me some All Time High. Which one of my friends in HS would crack us all up when she sang it, lifting her leg in the air and singing out "All time THIGHHHHHH!" (You had to be there, I guess.)

by Anonymousreply 55December 30, 2020 6:24 PM

Rita's 'We're All Alone' was perfection. I was SO in love at the time with an older guy and we would snuggle and fuck to that song. I can't hear it now without crying.

by Anonymousreply 56December 30, 2020 6:27 PM

Dusty sings It Goes Like It Goes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57December 30, 2020 6:28 PM

I vote for Maria Muldaur -- Midnight at the Oasis was so hot and sexy.

by Anonymousreply 58December 30, 2020 6:32 PM

God, I hated that "I've Had The Time of My Life" song. Hated the damn thing. And it got played like maybe a million times.

I didn't much like ""Up Where We Belong", either. Joe Cocker could barely sing by that time, and it was a sappy song.

by Anonymousreply 59December 30, 2020 6:33 PM

^^Donna Summer was offered both of those songs and turned them down. So stupid!

by Anonymousreply 60December 30, 2020 6:38 PM

Jennifer for the Leonard Cohen connection alone.

John Cale also produced one of her albums in the early 70s, and she sang backup for Arthur Russell on a couple songs (always wondered how that came about). She's had some odd connections over the years for someone whose hits were so MOR.

by Anonymousreply 61December 30, 2020 6:50 PM

Stories like r23's are why I come to the DataLounge.

by Anonymousreply 62December 30, 2020 6:54 PM

LOL R23

by Anonymousreply 63December 30, 2020 7:03 PM

Loved Jennifer Warnes and remembered when The Right Time of the Night came out. Couldn't tell the difference between her and Ronstadt at the time.

by Anonymousreply 64December 30, 2020 7:27 PM

[quote]Rita Coolidge if just for "We're All Alone."

Boz Scaggs did it better.

by Anonymousreply 65December 30, 2020 7:31 PM

Warnes is a lovely, sensitive interpreter. Linda Ronstadt can't related.

by Anonymousreply 66December 30, 2020 7:32 PM

[quote]Boz Scaggs did it better.

Posting link properly:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67December 30, 2020 7:34 PM

I love Boz Scaggs but always hated his “My Loooove” at the 3:00 mark (MARY!). Rita’s version for the win!

by Anonymousreply 68December 30, 2020 8:43 PM

Loved Jennifer’s duet with Jackson Browne on “Golden Slumbers”.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69December 30, 2020 8:46 PM

Ronstadt had a great technical voice, but she didn't always use her softer, more subtle voice. Too often, she sang in a way that she must have felt was similar to a Garland or Streisandesque belt.

by Anonymousreply 70December 30, 2020 11:29 PM

Reminds me of what Robert Christgau said about Mad Love, Linda's new wave album: "This is how Ethel Merman would do Elvis Costello, only Ethel Merman has a better sense of humor." (I sorta like that album anyway, though. Certainly more than her Nelson Riddle albums.)

by Anonymousreply 71December 30, 2020 11:37 PM

Elvis Costello fucking hated Ronstadt's covers of his songs at the time.

I think he still hates them now but in the most diplomatic way possible sort of half apologized for being a cunt about that. Then again he's a cunt about everything. I mean, I think he's a genius but he's a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 72December 30, 2020 11:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!