Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Lucky Seven: More of Those Magnificent Midwestern Towns

We've had a lot more than seven threads, my dears, but since we're counting now, it's lucky seven.

Come on by and have some tea!

Catching up on our usual gossip about Springfield and Laurel Falls, of course.

By the way, that Dr. Kelly is such a nice young man. He put a tingle on my tulip the other day when he walked into the kitchen in nothing but a Speedo! He can take a long sip from my Taster's Choice any day!

Ahem! Yes, we can catch up on Bay City, Monticello, Oakdale, Henderson and Madison too.

I remain ever yours.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600June 12, 2019 3:56 PM

"Guiding Light" took place in Springfield, USA. The "Entering Springfield" sign was in New Jersey. Also showed the town's fire department

by Anonymousreply 1March 21, 2019 12:13 AM

John Wesley Shipp had a body to die for.

by Anonymousreply 2March 21, 2019 12:14 AM

What about Somerset? I loved watching that with my mom.

by Anonymousreply 3March 21, 2019 12:37 AM

I met him in NYC in the mid 80s and had a great sex with him. He was really a good lay.

by Anonymousreply 4March 21, 2019 12:58 AM

Please...tell us more.

by Anonymousreply 5March 21, 2019 2:15 AM

LOL at Tom Casiello, former writer at ATWT, ripping dumb ass Serial Nutjob a new one. Casiello proved just how stupid Serial Psycho is. Casiello ended up blocking the psycho on twitter. He who calls himself a scholar proven to be so god damned dumb! Asshole. No wonder his family had him committed to the psych ward. Moron.

by Anonymousreply 6March 21, 2019 11:36 AM

As an ATWT fan, I have to say I find these threads so disappointing. Why is it all AW, all the time? Where are the ATWT fans?

by Anonymousreply 7March 21, 2019 2:24 PM

R7 I do notice that it tends to be AW first and GL second with ATWT more of an afterthought. I don't know why that is.

by Anonymousreply 8March 21, 2019 3:00 PM

But the first spinoff of Another World was Somerset!! It was announced as the second half of Another World. Now stay tuned for the second half of our story, Another World - Somerset.

I t had the beautiful Joel Crothers and Audrey Landers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9March 21, 2019 4:32 PM

Joel Crothers had the aids.

by Anonymousreply 10March 21, 2019 4:59 PM

Yes but he was a hot little AIDSY

by Anonymousreply 11March 21, 2019 5:02 PM

Joel and Dennis Parker used to fuck in the dressing room at Edge.

by Anonymousreply 12March 21, 2019 5:23 PM

R12 that would have been hot.

by Anonymousreply 13March 21, 2019 5:25 PM

Frankly, r8, I grew tired of The Drew Dixon Douche.

by Anonymousreply 14March 21, 2019 7:17 PM

Full episode of Somerset with commercials! Lara Parker from Dark Shadows is in the first Prell shampoo commercial.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15March 21, 2019 8:09 PM

I post about ATWT all the time. In fact, we have our own DL catchphrase, like the Snyder Gossip Porch.

Maybe AW and GL get more conversation because they went from so good to sooooooo bad and even ATWT at its very worst (1996) isn't that bad.

by Anonymousreply 16March 21, 2019 9:19 PM

r16 is undoubtedly referring to the Snyder Farm Kitchen Eavesdropping Porch.

by Anonymousreply 17March 21, 2019 9:22 PM

R16 that is so true! I think they purposefully made AW and GL bad to drive people away.

by Anonymousreply 18March 21, 2019 9:23 PM

Watch it R16 and R18, it’s been years since I’ve given a good kick in the cunt and I’m itching to do so.

by Anonymousreply 19March 21, 2019 10:46 PM

"I don't give a TINKER'S DAMN about Rosemary! I'm worried about ANDREW!!! Our son is in the middle of a very difficult time in his life!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20March 22, 2019 12:23 AM

OMG! Kim's wardrobe!

Margo's bangs!

Oh, and the midst of that interminable thing with Shannon and the Harrington brothers. If you can take Maggie Reed and Richard Burgi and somehow make them boring, something is wrong.

by Anonymousreply 21March 22, 2019 12:37 AM

Andy Dixon really is one of the most wasted characters of the last years of ATWT. So much could have been done with him.

Not sure if I should be angry that he was ignored, or at least grateful that they didn't ruin him, make him a criminal, killer or serial rapist, or off the character in a cheap murder for short term ratings gain.

by Anonymousreply 22March 22, 2019 12:42 AM

r22 they should have recast Andy IMO.

by Anonymousreply 23March 22, 2019 12:43 AM

No, they should not have, r23.

Melanie Smith and Marie Masters were so perfect together. Never liked Michael Loudon (RIP). But boy did I love Christopher Durham. So fucking sexy.

by Anonymousreply 24March 22, 2019 12:54 AM

God, I love this version of the GL theme with the synths!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25March 22, 2019 12:56 AM

Why did Kelly come to breakfast at the Bauers with no clothes on? Does anybody think that was indecent seeing as Bert was there? In this scene where he comes in, Bert seems to be enjoying the view though!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26March 22, 2019 12:59 AM

Bert was a horny old bat.

by Anonymousreply 27March 22, 2019 1:59 AM

Man these shows were great. Too bad they don’t put all the old soaps on a streaming service. I’d pay $10 to $15 a month to watch a bunch of old soaps.

by Anonymousreply 28March 22, 2019 2:22 AM

Bert had to go off after that and sit on top of the washing machine during spin cycle, imagining it was Kelly ravishing her.

by Anonymousreply 29March 22, 2019 2:29 AM

Margo's mullet was scary. Scott Bryce was *so* handsome.

I agree that the show should have never let Andy go. As the son of John and Kim, he was just too important a character. And as for a recast, bite your tongue. No way.

by Anonymousreply 30March 22, 2019 2:55 AM

I would have considered an Andy recast, but a sensible one, and only if SDF hadn't wanted to come back.

(I actually wondered at one point if they were bringing on Matt Crane from AW.)

The point was, Andy could have been a character like Ed Bauer - with those complicated parents and stepparents and the struggles with self-esteem and alcoholism, the story wrote itself.

by Anonymousreply 31March 22, 2019 2:58 AM

[quote]Andy could have been a character like Ed Bauer - with those complicated parents and stepparents and the struggles with self-esteem and alcoholism, the story wrote itself.

Exactly, r31. But only with SDF in the role. And I do like Matt Crane, but if he moved to Oakdale, I would have wanted him to be Matthew Cory.

by Anonymousreply 32March 22, 2019 5:07 AM

John Wesley Shipp was too gorgeous for words on GL. I couldn’t get enough of him.

I also lusted after Matt Crane on AW.

by Anonymousreply 33March 22, 2019 5:19 AM

I can't believe that both JWS and Lisa Brown are a year away from being.......

sixty five

by Anonymousreply 34March 22, 2019 8:06 AM

For you JWS lovers there is a whole old thread out there all about him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35March 22, 2019 8:09 AM

Serial asshole: Tom Casiello put you in your place. We are ALL still laughing about it in our twitter group. We're laughing and laughing and laughing at you Serial no life asshole.

by Anonymousreply 36March 23, 2019 3:12 AM

Hiya Iris!

by Anonymousreply 37March 23, 2019 10:51 PM

Michael Zaslow was fabulous in this scene telling Blake to get the fuck out of his life!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38March 23, 2019 11:39 PM

r36 Tom Casiello is a sad case. No wonder his husband ditched him.

by Anonymousreply 39March 23, 2019 11:39 PM

Joel Crothers and Dennis Parker didn’t fuck in the Edge dressing rooms. Parker wasn’t ever attracted to Crothers. He had a thing for twinks and his long-time lover was Joey Phipps who played Kelly #1.

by Anonymousreply 40March 23, 2019 11:45 PM

There was apparently a version of the raunchy nudity-laden off-Broadway hit "The Dirtiest Show in Town" with John Wesley Shipp on cable years ago. Anyone know where to find a copy?

by Anonymousreply 41March 23, 2019 11:53 PM

R41 I have it somewhere!

by Anonymousreply 42March 23, 2019 11:58 PM

Connie Ford loved eating pussy in her younger years. In her later years, she became a miserable old bulldyke.

by Anonymousreply 43March 26, 2019 8:53 AM

When hideous plaid is the LEWK

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44March 26, 2019 11:08 PM

The dishtowel makes an appearance!

Gah, I never noticed before how much Connie Ford read cue cards.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45March 26, 2019 11:22 PM

Connie could still steal every moment she was on screen reading cue cards when opposite untalented younger actors who actually memorized their lines.

by Anonymousreply 46March 26, 2019 11:50 PM

Yes, clearly Connie read off the cue cards. In that episode from 40 years ago TODAY it is particularly noticable.

But in her defense, I will point out that AW expanded to 90 minutes on March 5, 1979. So, the episode linked was filmed just three weeks after the expansion. Everybody was adjusting to a different work routine trying to get 90 minutes of show filmed each day.

Likely, they did not have as much time, or patience, to reshoot scenes if an actor flubbed his/her line. So, there was increased pressure to get it right the first time.

I imagine all the actors were probably relying on cue cards more heavily in those first few weeks of the 90 minutes. Some of them were likely just more subtle about reading them than Connie was.

by Anonymousreply 47March 27, 2019 12:05 AM

R47 I hadn't thought of that, Aunt Liz. Very good point.

by Anonymousreply 48March 27, 2019 12:07 AM

Also in Connie's defense -- she was often accused of reading off cue cards long after they had been banned from the AW set. I think that look off to the side is primarily an acting tic for her.

by Anonymousreply 49March 27, 2019 12:12 AM

I love her anyway, but I was really just saying it was more noticeable than I remembered. But R49 you are probably right, it may be more of a tic for her.

by Anonymousreply 50March 27, 2019 12:16 AM

Unlike some here, I don't think one hour a day is too long for a soap. But 90 minutes? That is insane. I don't know what the hell they were thinking.

by Anonymousreply 51March 27, 2019 1:43 AM

R51 the 90 minutes was really hard to watch. I do wish they were all a half hour again.

by Anonymousreply 52March 27, 2019 2:11 AM

In hindsight, 90 minutes was a HUGE mistake. But I tend to view it as a noble experiment that failed.

Remember, in 1975, no one knew if people would tune in for 60 minutes of a show every day of the week. It was a major gamble when AW expanded to 60 minutes on January 5, 1975. Many were expecting the 60 minute experiment to fail. And the AW would have had egg on its face for taking such a risk if it failed. But that gamble paid off and 60 minutes gradually became the norm for soaps.

So, in 1979, expanding to 90 minutes was a similar gamble. No one knew if people would tune in for that long. No one knew if they could juggle the number of stories and number of characters needed to sustain a 90 minute show five days a week. But this time, the gamble failed. The 90 minutes only lasted 16 months.

But we learned that 90 minutes was indeed TOO MUCH.

by Anonymousreply 53March 27, 2019 4:38 AM

I really enjoyed SFT and Capitol, but hated how quickly they were over and never felt they had the same sense of community that Marland's GL and ATWT had.

by Anonymousreply 54March 27, 2019 9:36 PM

I loved SFT too! Remember when it moved to NBC?

by Anonymousreply 55March 27, 2019 9:40 PM

SFT lasted 35 years -- that's "over quickly"?

by Anonymousreply 56March 27, 2019 9:41 PM

I meant because they were 30 minutes long, r56.

I started watching it when it was on between ATWT and GL and followed it to NBC. My favorites, other than Jo and Stu were Travis and Liza and Hogan and Patty.

by Anonymousreply 57March 27, 2019 9:43 PM

[quote]I meant because they were 30 minutes long,

Oh, that makes sense -- sorry!

by Anonymousreply 58March 27, 2019 9:47 PM

I have Mary Stuart’s record albums. Both of them. I jerk off to them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59March 27, 2019 9:47 PM

"Capitol" had a terrific cast and great potential, but those wild plot twists put the nail in its coffin. I loved all three Myrna Cleggs (Carolyn Jones, Marla Adams, Marj Dusay), Constance Towers, Julie Adams, Jess Walton, Tonja Walker and Catherine hickland, as well as Richard Egan, Ed Nelson, Nicholas Walker, Bill Beyets, etc. It went down hill with the Baraque story, and never was able to crawl back to traditional storytelling.

by Anonymousreply 60March 27, 2019 9:50 PM

Myrna was a total rip-off of Iris from AW. Iris’ spin-off should have been set in DC, not Texas. She could have been a Manchurian Candidate-type monster grooming her son Dennis for a political future with her long-lost love Alex Wheeler a Senator rather than an oilman.

by Anonymousreply 61March 27, 2019 10:03 PM

R59 I've been looking for the earlier one (photo you attached).

I have the later one, and I like it. Her voice is pleasant, not earth shattering but better than many, and it's a nice cleaning house on Sunday kind of record.

by Anonymousreply 62March 27, 2019 10:10 PM

[quote] Myrna was a total rip-off of Iris from AW. Iris’ spin-off should have been set in DC, not Texas. She could have been a Manchurian Candidate-type monster grooming her son Dennis for a political future with her long-lost love Alex Wheeler a Senator rather than an oilman.

Texas was a sad attempt to capitalize on Dallas mania.

by Anonymousreply 63March 27, 2019 10:10 PM

R62 I have that one too! Seriously. Why doesn’t P&G start a streaming service of their classic soaps? I’d pay to watch them again. Would you?

by Anonymousreply 64March 27, 2019 10:12 PM

R64 Totally!

by Anonymousreply 65March 27, 2019 10:14 PM

Mary Stuart was a miserable old cunt!

by Anonymousreply 66March 27, 2019 10:36 PM

C'mon John Wesley!

FLASH and slap dat azz!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67March 28, 2019 3:01 AM

Questions...

1) How did you get into soaps. Your Mom? Grandma? Babysitter?

2) Which network was your soap house? ABC? NBC? CBS?

3) Did you ever leave your first soap? Meaning did you start watching one soap, but stopped watching it and starting watching a timeslot competitor?

Thanks for answering.

by Anonymousreply 68March 28, 2019 3:09 AM

My mom got me into soaps. She watched the NBC shows. I stayed with NBC through all the shows primarily Days, The Doctors and Another World and later Santa Barbara. I switched to As the World Tirns when AW went off the air.

My mother's mother watched CBS and my dad's mother watched General Hospital. I hated Young and Restless as a child. The sets were so dark. General Hospital was dull.

I stopped watching shows for periods of time, but never switched to different show. I watched Guiding Light during that period when NBC wasn't airing a soap at 3:00.

by Anonymousreply 69March 28, 2019 4:19 AM

[quote]1) How did you get into soaps. Your Mom? Grandma? Babysitter?

When I was a little boy, I would watch the CBS shows with my grandmother. Legend has it this is how I learned to read, from watching the commercials. When I was three, I was able to point to products on the shelf at the store and say their names. I never had to learn to read. I just knew.

[quote]2) Which network was your soap house? ABC? NBC? CBS?

As a child, CBS. Later (age 37), I started watching Another World on my own. When I was at home, I would often catch the last five or ten minutes of DOOL, but I didn't like it or Santa Barbara, so I never had NBC as my "soap house." At some point, I watched ATWT and GL, so I was something of a CBS watcher again. I hated the Bell soaps, though, so I wasn't comfortable in the entire "house."

[quote]3) Did you ever leave your first soap? Meaning did you start watching one soap, but stopped watching it and starting watching a timeslot competitor?

I switched from AW to ATWT sometime in 1990 or so. I bought a second VCR when Michael Malone came to OLTL, so I could catch Gay Billy. So I was really more of a 2:00 Soap Watcher than a fan of one particular network.

by Anonymousreply 70March 28, 2019 7:01 AM

[quote]1) How did you get into soaps. Your Mom? Grandma? Babysitter?

I've posted this before, one of my earliest childhood memories was playing in our living room while my mother watched a tv show where a woman jumped out of a moving car to her death. Years later, I googled it and found out it was Ella Jo Jamison (Dorothy Lyman) in Edge of Night. I had just turned 5 years old.

But really it was my older sisters watching General Hospital in '79-'80, when I was 11. I have memories of the Lassa Fever, Rick and Monica affair, and of course Luke and Laura on the run. By the time Heather was back and sneaking out of Forest Hills to plan Diana's murder, I was hooked.

[quote]2) Which network was your soap house? ABC? NBC? CBS?

Initially ABC. But I started to read Soap Opera Digest religiously (my mother would buy it for me as a kid - MARY!). So through that, I literally got into storylines on almost every soap, and I'd sit in front of the tv and flip the channels - we didn't have a remote then - to watch the stories that interested me the most on all the networks. Ironically, it's been the most popular soap for decades, but Y&R interested me the least, unless there were scenes with Don Diamont or Michael Damian in speedos.

[quote]3) Did you ever leave your first soap? Meaning did you start watching one soap, but stopped watching it and starting watching a timeslot competitor?

Oh yeah. GH was my first, but I would switch over to GL or Santa Barbara when they had more interesting stuff going on. I never 100% left GH, but there were definitely times when I watched its competitors more.

My addiction to soaps -all soaps - lasted primarily from '81 -'84 or '85. By then I was in high school, had activities and a job, and in general started to get a life. But the definitely carried me through my junior high/early high school years. My family thought I was nuts.

Post '85, I'd spent some time watching GH, Days, ATWT for maybe 6 months or a year when friends were into them. But never was addicted like I was in the early 80s.

by Anonymousreply 71March 28, 2019 8:02 AM

I started watching because my mother would take us out of the city in the summer and on rainy days when we couldn't go to the beach we had to watch her soaps: As the World Turns and Guiding Light. But I didn't really get into either of them until Marland's GL. I was obsessed with the Carrie MPD story. About the time the original Muskateers had all left GL and Bob and Kim were married on ATWT, I switched to ATWT. I only caught smatterings of GL after that.

I watched every day of ATWT from around 1987-on. I even watched all of 1996.

I watched Capitol and Search when I could. So I guess Search was the only NBC show I watched.

by Anonymousreply 72March 28, 2019 12:19 PM

We were a CBS family and I loved it. Though I never felt a strong attachment to the characters on Y&R, there was something about it that was very comforting to me-- the music, the slow pace, the dark sets punctuated with the bright chiffon of Mrs. C.'s flowing caftans (MARY!). It was sort of like golf to me: something pleasant to have on in the background.

Never paid too much attention to ATWT and GL until adolescence changed everything. Dusty Donovan, Holden Snyder, and Phillip Spaulding-- need I say more? ATWT's great writing (Marland) and amazing cast (Hubbard, Bryggman, Hays, Hastings, Fulton, Widdoes) made me a fan for life. John and Lucinda, Lucinda/Craig/Sierra, Kim/Bob/Susan, Tom/Margo/Hal/Barbara, Tonio and Meg, Lily's maternity... I could go on and on, but to me, ATWT of the mid Eighties to early Nineties was soap PERFECTION.

by Anonymousreply 73March 28, 2019 1:48 PM

[quote]ATWT of the mid Eighties to early Nineties was soap PERFECTION.

Why'd ya do it, Doug?

by Anonymousreply 74March 28, 2019 2:41 PM

Mom watched AW and other shows. I was a sick kid that spent a lot of time with Rachel and Iris!

My sisters watched other shows, but it was hanging out at a friend's house that introduced me to "my" first show, because HIS mom watched Guiding Light. Nola and Kelly! Vanessa and her fur coat! And then the Four Musketeers!

It was GL that indirectly got me into ATWT, because I was flipping through the channels one day and saw a few familiar faces on ATWT.

[quote] ATWT's great writing (Marland) and amazing cast (Hubbard, Bryggman, Hays, Hastings, Fulton, Widdoes) made me a fan for life. John and Lucinda, Lucinda/Craig/Sierra, Kim/Bob/Susan, Tom/Margo/Hal/Barbara, Tonio and Meg, Lily's maternity... I could go on and on, but to me, ATWT of the mid Eighties to early Nineties was soap PERFECTION.

Amen, sister.

My favorite soap periods were all between roughly 1981 and the mid 90s.

Marland's GL. Pam Long's GL stints. Marland at ATWT The post-Reva GL (for the first two years, when Nancy Curlee was writing). And the Lemay reset at AW. I always caught bits and pieces of AW, and switched to watch it a lot when ATWT was in a few lulls in 88, 89-90.

by Anonymousreply 75March 28, 2019 9:11 PM

I actually started watching soaps in the early 70s because of my father. He was a college professor and was home in the afternoons. There wasn't anything else on but soaps so he sampled them until he decided Days of Our Lives was the best. This was when Bill Bell was head writer. Addie/Doug/Julie, Bill/Laura/Mickey, Greg & Amanda, Maggie and her red shoes. It was really a good show.

My sister was a GL watcher, so I started watching it in the mid/late 70s. Probably around the time of the Dobsons. Alan Spaulding/Chris Bernau was probably my favorite character/actor combination ever. GL was so good under the Dobsons, Marland and Pam Long.

I started watching ATWT of and on during the early 80s because it was on between DOOL and GL. Once Marland started writing ATWT I watched it full time, and even began to tape it.

Stopped watching DOOL in the late 80s. It just got really crap. GL probably lasted until early 90s, then started watching again some when Claire Labine started writing and pretty much toughed it out until the end. Watched ATWT until Marland died then quit and didn't watch again until the last few months before it was cancelled. It was just so great under Marland I couldn't bear to watch the shit that came afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 76March 29, 2019 12:28 AM

I remember watching NBC with my mother. She loved Days, AW - when Robin Strasser was Rachel and then we would watch Dark Shadows.

Later I moved to ABC and started watching AMC in the late 70s then added in GH. I would also watch whatever I could after school as well, which for a short time included GL and Love of Life.

I started watching GH again when Robin Mattson came back on but have since stopped since she’s no longer on there.

Now I watch Y&R and B&B. They are pretty standard soap opera which I like. I wish Days wasn’t so crazy because I would love to watch it but it’s just too over the top on many things.

by Anonymousreply 77March 29, 2019 1:52 AM

I got hooked on ATWT when Steve and Betsy were the hot couple. I loved how Craig (Scott Bryce) tried to break up the supercouple. The other big story at the time was the whole James/Barbara storyline. The whole show changed when Doug Marland took over. He got rid of a lot of dead weight, even chucking super-popular Steve, and slowly introduced his own characters, most notably the Snyders. ATWT became must-see TV for me, up until that horrible year of 1996. After that awful year, I came back, up until the end.

by Anonymousreply 78March 29, 2019 2:14 AM

I also watched AW when Janice Frame was on there. That was so good.

by Anonymousreply 79March 29, 2019 2:21 AM

My mother would switch between CBS and NBC soaps, never ABC. I got hooked on Guiding Light, in the 3pm slot which I would catch part of after junior high and high school once my mother started working in the early 80s. I loved the Nola and Quinton storylines and the frequent display of John Wesley Shipp in speedos. In college in the mid- to late-80s, my friends watched the ABC soaps, which had skewed toward younger viewers. I got into All My Children and OLTL but never warmed to GH. (My earliest childhood soap memory is Linc floating on a raft in Vietnam on AMC soon after it launched in the early 70s since my older sister, unlike my mom, liked it. )

by Anonymousreply 80March 29, 2019 3:01 AM

[quote]ATWT became must-see TV for me, up until that horrible year of 1996.

What happened in 1996?

by Anonymousreply 81March 29, 2019 3:02 AM

[quote] What happened in 1996?

The horrible Black and Stern year, which just erased a bunch of history.

by Anonymousreply 82March 29, 2019 11:52 AM

So much bad on ATWT in 1996. The worst for me was pissing away the secret of Adam's parentage.

by Anonymousreply 83March 29, 2019 11:57 AM

ATWT became irrelevant after Marland died, It didn't regain until around 2000 and even that was short lived. Arguably, it should have cancelled 15 years before it was.

by Anonymousreply 84March 29, 2019 1:16 PM

I have not seen Grey's Anatomy for a while (an early fan but just stopped after a while with the tragedy porn) but Michelle Forbes aka Sonni and Solita from GL was on last night.

Apparently she played a character inspired by Christine Blasey Ford.

People raved about her on Twitter, etc. last night but we GL fans already knew! I might have to watch this episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85March 29, 2019 2:41 PM

Actually, r84, there was one excellent post-Marland storyline, when Lisa sued John over Eduardo's death, and Andy had to testify against him.

Was Luna Walsh a Black-Stern creation? What about Diego and that woman who called Lily "Leelee"? Wasn't Sarah Kasnoff a Black-Stern creation? And Mark Kasnoff? That was my nadir. I hardly watched again until Luke came out.

by Anonymousreply 86March 29, 2019 2:42 PM

I FF through Grey's Anatomy for the gays. That's all I can bear.

by Anonymousreply 87March 29, 2019 2:42 PM

R86 The Connor Walsh recast was when Felicia Minei Behr became EP. I think that was one of the ways she tried to "update" the show, and she was the first of many who thought hiring former ABC soap stars would somehow bring ratings.

I think Sarah was a Stern/Black creation.

by Anonymousreply 88March 29, 2019 2:50 PM

Were Stern and Black two writers, or was one EP? Who was their EP if they were both writers? And Mickey Against Daytime Drama was all the bad EPs' and writers' boss throughout, right?

by Anonymousreply 89March 29, 2019 3:02 PM

Both writers, and I think John Valente (?) some no name was the EP. They got rid of Laurence Caso, who had been a network suit before taking over for Bob Calhoun as EP.

In 1995 they did some weird swap where Jill Farren Phelps went from GL to AW, and they switched writers and EPs the other P&G shows too. I think they called it Black Monday or something in the industry. LOL

by Anonymousreply 90March 29, 2019 3:07 PM

So even if Marland hadn’t died, he and by proxy ATWT still would have been at the mercy of the corporate changes at P&G and CBS.

by Anonymousreply 91March 29, 2019 3:22 PM

John Valente was the EP for 1996 and Stern and Black were the head writing team. They introduced Sarah and Mark Kasnoff, supermodel Zoe, brought back Paul played by a model, did the John revenge on Lisa plot, had Lisa transport bearer bonds or something for her last husband, had Casey kidnapped, had Adam shrug when he learned Hal was his father, brought in Diego to rape Emily, and on and on and on. Such crap.

When Phelps came on she thought the audience hated the actor, not the terrible storylines she had been given, and recast Conner Walsh with Luna. She also brought on Molly and Jack (at the expense of Kirk and Samantha...who just disappeared from an ominous picnic) and the revolving door of David Stenbecks.

by Anonymousreply 92March 29, 2019 5:59 PM

[quote]When Phelps came on she thought the audience hated the actor, not the terrible storylines she had been given, and recast Conner Walsh with Luna.

Phelps never worked on WT.

by Anonymousreply 93March 29, 2019 6:01 PM

I think R92 meant Felicia Behr.

by Anonymousreply 94March 29, 2019 6:06 PM

Im sorry, you're right. I was think FMB (Felicia Minei Behr), not JFP.

by Anonymousreply 95March 29, 2019 6:07 PM

I didn't mind Molly and Jack, nor the first go round of Jack and Carly. Carly was a shit stirrer in those early years.

But there was a point when Carly and Katie took over - with little to no interaction outside of their circles - that it all became very tired.

by Anonymousreply 96March 29, 2019 6:08 PM

Remember Mark Collier from ATWT? Man he was hot. Is he still acting? He had quite a crotch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97March 29, 2019 6:17 PM

someone just started a thread about him, R97

by Anonymousreply 98March 29, 2019 9:00 PM

Collier is a out proud gay man.

by Anonymousreply 99March 29, 2019 9:03 PM

One of my earliest ATWT memories is Craig faking his paralysis and almost getting caught by Betsy

by Anonymousreply 100March 29, 2019 9:04 PM

Scott Bryce was so hot. Oddly the hottest I remember him being during that era is when he was fucking Lucinda.

by Anonymousreply 101March 29, 2019 9:07 PM

I seem to remember Hunt Block in a speedo on one of the shows. I can’t find any pics. He was really hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102March 29, 2019 9:37 PM

Hunt Block was a pompous jackass.

by Anonymousreply 103March 29, 2019 9:39 PM

Is Mark Collier really out?

by Anonymousreply 104March 29, 2019 9:40 PM

R98 do you have a link?

by Anonymousreply 105March 29, 2019 9:41 PM

Hunt Block was the only Craig that mattered. He was sexy, and alpha, and just fun to watch. Hunt's Craig had a big cock and a set of balls and he was a man. When they brought Scott Bryce back, it was a fucking disaster.

by Anonymousreply 106March 29, 2019 9:49 PM

R106 = DDD?

by Anonymousreply 107March 29, 2019 9:50 PM

I used to refer to Sarah Kasnoff as Pinhead Kasnoff because that girl had one of the tiniest heads I’d ever seen. The girl who played Zoe was pretty but in no way looked like a fashion model. They weren’t bad actresses but their material was unbearable. I’m pretty sure they were both so traumatized by their time on ATWT that they left acting.

by Anonymousreply 108March 29, 2019 11:24 PM

"someone just started a thread about him, [R97]"

Link, please. (Why is the search function suddenly different? I don't like it and I don't think works properly)

by Anonymousreply 109March 30, 2019 12:15 AM

Mark Collier thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110March 30, 2019 12:22 AM

R109, I googled "datalounge.com mark collier"

by Anonymousreply 111March 30, 2019 12:23 AM

Scott Bryce was fantastic as Craig Montgomery. He took a character who was a complete villain (the Betsy years) to the romantic lead of the show (the Sierra years), and played everything in between. Hunt Block was a one-note ham who chewed the scenery everytime he appeared on screen. He WAS entertaining, he just wasn't an actor. Jon Lindstrom was probably the worst Craig of all. He committed the cardinal sin of making Craig boring.

R84, I don't think you can say ATWT was irrelevant after Marland. Remember when Hogan Sheffer took over, the show went on a run of Emmy wins , including Best Show, Best Actress (Martha Byrne, Maura West), Best Actor (Michael Park), etc. And he brought Colleen Zenk off the backburner and made her the center of the soap. (Unfortunately, he started running out of ideas after the first year-and-a-half).

1996 was the absolute worst. Characters like . Jones, Sarah Kasnoff, Zoe, that awful Paul Ryan recast....just horrible. And speaking of recasts, it doesn't get much worse than the Connor Walsh recast. Ooops! I spoke too soon...Roger Howarth was the single worst recast I have ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 112March 30, 2019 3:12 AM

Thank you R110. Is Mark really a gay?

by Anonymousreply 113March 30, 2019 3:45 AM

[quote]I don't think you can say ATWT was irrelevant after Marland. Remember when Hogan Sheffer took over, the show went on a run of Emmy wins , including Best Show, Best Actress (Martha Byrne, Maura West), Best Actor (Michael Park), etc. And he brought Colleen Zenk off the backburner and made her the center of the soap. (Unfortunately, he started running out of ideas after the first year-and-a-half).

HAted it.

by Anonymousreply 114March 30, 2019 6:47 AM

[quote]And speaking of recasts, it doesn't get much worse than the Connor Walsh recast. Ooops! I spoke too soon...Roger Howarth was the single worst recast I have ever seen.

How could those horrible women have hired Luna to play Connor? That CBS or PGP's ultimate goal was to kill WT and GL could not have been more obvious from that point on. I liked Susan Batten fine as Luna, but Luna was not Connor and was never going to be Connor.

Roger Howarth was worse, perhaps, but most of the Pauls were just awful. And virtually indistinguishable from the Chrises. I hated Howarth from minute one on OLTL. He was evil incarnate, and he brought that motif with him to Oakdale. More proof of the havoc destruction MADD and FMB were paid to wreak.

To me, though, even worse than Luna and Podd was Carly Tenney. I hated her more than any character on any show I have ever watched. Just pure poison. I gave up on the show eventually, and didn't watch it again until Luke came out.

by Anonymousreply 115March 30, 2019 6:55 AM

The unfortunate thing about Craig when Bryce came back in the 2000s was that by that time, Craig was a one dimensional mustache twirling asshole. Or they wanted him to be.

I don't know why they wouldn't let him be the multifaceted Craig he'd been. Jon Lindstrom actually achieved a bit of that and I don't know why they were forcing Bryce's Craig to be such a dick.

by Anonymousreply 116March 30, 2019 10:34 PM

That's on Goutman. A lot of people want to give him a pass and blame the network or P&G, but a lot of the bad decisions in the last years of ATWT are entirely on Goutman. After Sheffer burned through the ideas he stole from his studio days, Goutman started dictating story TO HIM. Goutman was a very good director. He was not a good producer or head writer.

by Anonymousreply 117March 30, 2019 10:40 PM

Goutman was also a vindictive piece of shit. Not bringing back Martha Byrne after Noelle Beck so graciously offered to step out and have Byrne play Lily was a typical piece ot shit move of his.

by Anonymousreply 118March 31, 2019 5:01 AM

[quote] Goutman was a very good director. He was not a good producer or head writer.

Or *hic* hussssband.

Hic.

by Anonymousreply 119March 31, 2019 12:24 PM

I take classes at Carnegie Mellon, where, outside the School of Drama, there are 24" red circles with white printing, one for each graduate who has won a Tony, an Oscar, an Emmy, or a Grammy, a small scale Walk of Fame kind of affair. There are two stars each for Goutman and JFP, and if I happen to walk on either of their circles, I make like I'm putting out a cigarette on it (I don't smoke, of course). If I were a spitter, I might spit on their circles.

by Anonymousreply 120March 31, 2019 12:33 PM

I didn't know JFP went to Carnegie Mellon.

r120 Please stomp on her star for me.

by Anonymousreply 121March 31, 2019 9:25 PM

I'll happily piss on Goutman's

by Anonymousreply 122April 1, 2019 3:16 AM

Today is 10 years exactly since the GL cancellation was announced

by Anonymousreply 123April 1, 2019 8:17 AM

When I'm not wishing that the AW mid 70s theme plays when I wake up in the morning......

I dream that this theme will play as I walk through my home - with shimmers of gold light illuminating my way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124April 1, 2019 7:12 PM

I loved that theme, R124. It was mournful and hopeful at the same time. I know...

MARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 125April 1, 2019 8:18 PM

I loved that version (but not the bouncing synth heavy version with the light blue sky)

by Anonymousreply 126April 1, 2019 9:07 PM

This episode from May 2, 1979 is one of Richard Bekins first as Jamie. It maybe the very first one! Listen for the on-screen announcement at very beginning. First appearance of Bekins in this video is at 13:00.

Also one of Harding Lemay's last scripts. His final script aired May 11, 1979.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127April 1, 2019 9:28 PM

Richard Bekins looks like he just stepped out of a William Higgins movie right there.

by Anonymousreply 128April 1, 2019 9:44 PM

Bekins would have been 25 when he started the role in 1979. He was born in July 1954.

But he could certainly pass for 18 or 19 when he started.

by Anonymousreply 129April 1, 2019 10:23 PM

Bekins sucked my cock.

by Anonymousreply 130April 1, 2019 10:40 PM

Another World Home Page says Bekins first episode aired on April 25, 1979. So, the May 2 one above would likely have been his 3rd or 4th episode.

Wonder if Harding Lemay had any involvement with his casting. Was he already out the door by the time they were in the casting process?

But, Lemay would have approved of the casting since Bekins could convey emotional depths few young actors can.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131April 1, 2019 10:44 PM

In those GL end credits from Dec 1983 linked above, Charita Bauer and Don Stewart have top billing. Didn't realize that Don had gotten top billing. No wonder he was so pissed about being shoved aside when Gail Kobe took over.

Those end credits also include the character of Lola as played by none other than Megan McTavish. Had completely forgotten that Megan was an actress before becoming a writer. As I recall, Lola was a bartender at Company for about 6-12 months in 1983-84.

by Anonymousreply 132April 1, 2019 11:41 PM

One of the things I find interesting is that current fans are always screaming about bloated casts, but that GL cast list had 40 characters total and 32 contract players. ATWT at one time had 40 contract players. I wonder what changed.

I also loved the scene at Ada's house. I wish they would have kept that set. That scene was funny as Ada was talking to her 18 year old grandson and her 4 year old daughter and then her 40 year old daughter enters the scene.

by Anonymousreply 133April 1, 2019 11:55 PM

Bekins was a somewhat sudden recast after 20ish Jamie #1 (Tim Holcomb) was fired after six months ir so.

by Anonymousreply 134April 2, 2019 12:22 AM

r112 remember Cady McClain calling Hunt Block a "brilliant iconoclast" in her Emmy speech. I laughed!!!

by Anonymousreply 135April 2, 2019 12:45 AM

Cady is as nuts as Serial Psycho! Koo koo.

by Anonymousreply 136April 2, 2019 3:46 AM

Also in those Guiding Light credits is Jossie DeGuzman who was Sara opposite Peter Gallagher in the 1992 Broadway revival of Guys and Dolls!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137April 2, 2019 3:53 AM

And today would have been 63 years for ATWT.

by Anonymousreply 138April 2, 2019 10:44 PM

Edge of Night also premiered 63 years ago today.

by Anonymousreply 139April 2, 2019 11:40 PM

Here's the final episode of Edge of Night from 35 years ago -- Dec. 28, 1984.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140April 2, 2019 11:44 PM

Out all the soaps, The Edge of Night and Dark Shadows are really the most "rebootable". Since Shadows has been done, I would love an Edge reboot. Two new episodes a week, like the old Peyton Place.

by Anonymousreply 141April 2, 2019 11:51 PM

I loved the set for Ada's kitchen, too. A regular kitchen in a regular house. Something soaps do not have anymore. I preferred it when there were all different social/ economic levels of people on my shows.

by Anonymousreply 142April 3, 2019 1:01 AM

63 years! Well, ain't that a kick in the cunt!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143April 3, 2019 9:12 AM

Fascinating video to see the old GL transitioning to the new. I had no memory of Evie Stapleton ever being in the opening with Tony Reardon's "hi-ya!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144April 3, 2019 10:18 PM

Thanks for the May 1983 GL episode.

I adored Kathleen Cullen. Really wish the show had made more of an effort to keep her. Unfortunately, she was one of the first to go once Gail Kobe took over.

by Anonymousreply 145April 4, 2019 5:08 AM

Wednesday, November 21, 1979 episode (the day before Thanksgiving):

Joey and Eileen get married.

Rose Perrini gets upset upon learning about the wedding.

Jamie and Cecile (Susan Keith) tell Rachel about their engagement.

Mac confronts his new wife Janice about her past (in a 12 minute long scene!)

Sally flirts with Mitch Blake.

Second appearance of Bradley Bliss as Kit Farrell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146April 4, 2019 5:49 AM

I have yet to see an old AW clip with goddess Maeve Kinkead as Angie Perrini, before she shuffled over to Springfield to play another goddess, Vanessa Chamberlain.

by Anonymousreply 147April 4, 2019 9:04 AM

r147 Watch the clip above. Maeve as Angie starts at 44:00.

by Anonymousreply 148April 4, 2019 9:19 AM

Wow, Maeve AND Kathleen Widdoes! I'd forgotten she played Angie's mom.

by Anonymousreply 149April 4, 2019 9:22 AM

thanks R148

by Anonymousreply 150April 4, 2019 9:22 AM

"Am I the only Mrs. Perrini here?" -- great line and so true for the character.

by Anonymousreply 151April 4, 2019 9:26 AM

I never saw this little Henry/Nola scene originally but it made me cry.

Oh, what Nola's return COULD have been.....instead of what it was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152April 5, 2019 2:23 PM

Yeah, R152, they fucked up big time. They should have brought on Stacey as a mini-Nola to wreak havoc and at least once Nola should have murmered “Oh God, now I realize what I put mama through all that time.”

by Anonymousreply 153April 5, 2019 3:12 PM

What a neat version of the theme song too, r152.

by Anonymousreply 154April 5, 2019 5:45 PM

R152, I see that actress who played Lucy all the time on West End Avenue. She’s got two young kids and still looks great.

by Anonymousreply 155April 5, 2019 6:25 PM

Henry Chamberlain was probably my favorite soap patriarch. No one was better at combining power and gentleness than William Roerick.

by Anonymousreply 156April 5, 2019 7:27 PM

R153 Always wanted Stacey to come back. At the top of my list, along with Peter Reardon in later years.

They never cast either one and Nola's son was horribly cast both times.

by Anonymousreply 157April 5, 2019 7:39 PM

Who are the couple in r152 who come on at 1:51?

by Anonymousreply 158April 5, 2019 9:38 PM

Scott Hearst's Alan-Michael and Lucy Cooper.

by Anonymousreply 159April 5, 2019 11:30 PM

Rick Hearst

by Anonymousreply 160April 6, 2019 12:40 AM

Ooh...so young then, r160. And pretty.

by Anonymousreply 161April 6, 2019 1:05 AM

r159 Rick Hearst's first soap role was Scotty Banning on Days in 1989-90. That's likely where you got the Scott from.

He started playing Alan-Michael in summer 1990, right after leaving Days.

by Anonymousreply 162April 6, 2019 3:30 AM

Hearst wasn’t as pretty as the first Alan-Michael, though.

by Anonymousreply 163April 6, 2019 3:36 AM

Carl Tye Evans was very pretty.

Rick Hearst was the better actor by far. And easy on the eyes too!

by Anonymousreply 164April 6, 2019 3:38 AM

They were both pretty.

by Anonymousreply 165April 6, 2019 7:01 AM

I had just started to watch GL when Carl Tye Lewis left, so I hardly remember him. Same with Martha Byrne on WT.

by Anonymousreply 166April 6, 2019 7:02 AM

Right, Rick Hearst. My bad. My favorite Alan-Michael...though so very pale. Great hair!

by Anonymousreply 167April 6, 2019 11:14 AM

But Carl Tye was so fuckable.

by Anonymousreply 168April 6, 2019 1:41 PM

Carl Tye had a devilish glint in his eyes. Such a sexy kid. Hearst wasn’t sexy like that.

by Anonymousreply 169April 6, 2019 3:27 PM

Hearst has the gay son.

by Anonymousreply 170April 6, 2019 4:32 PM

Carl was a boy, Rick was a man

by Anonymousreply 171April 6, 2019 9:42 PM

Carl's AM always looked like he stole Phillip's underwear and secretly jacked off sniffing his bro's pouch.

by Anonymousreply 172April 6, 2019 9:43 PM

That works for me, R172.

by Anonymousreply 173April 6, 2019 9:45 PM

R172, so what's your point?

by Anonymousreply 174April 6, 2019 10:26 PM

My point is, I want to watch them go at it!

by Anonymousreply 175April 6, 2019 11:08 PM

I always fantasized that Phillip and this underwear dude would wear the same underwear......thought they looked alike at the time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176April 7, 2019 2:11 PM

Tom Hintnaus = Grant Aleksander???

by Anonymousreply 177April 7, 2019 8:16 PM

They just sort of physically reminded me of each other - sort of tall and angular.

by Anonymousreply 178April 7, 2019 8:27 PM

For some bizarre reason President Obama often reminded me of Grant Aleksander.

by Anonymousreply 179April 7, 2019 11:30 PM

Grant’s peen touched the water when he sat down to shit.

by Anonymousreply 180April 8, 2019 9:15 AM

Tall, handsome, big cock?

by Anonymousreply 181April 10, 2019 2:58 AM

Old school Marland ATWT

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182April 11, 2019 11:38 AM

Shipp sucked Marland’s toes.

by Anonymousreply 183April 11, 2019 11:40 AM

So we have heard, r183. And heard. And heard. And heard.

by Anonymousreply 184April 11, 2019 11:50 AM

I actually believe the story that Marland would stand in the kitchen masturbating while Shipp and other guys would lounge out by the pool.

by Anonymousreply 185April 11, 2019 2:42 PM

Eavesdonging

by Anonymousreply 186April 11, 2019 4:32 PM

There’s a reason Marland wrote so many swimming hole scenes/swimming pool scenes on ATWT and GL.

by Anonymousreply 187April 11, 2019 4:39 PM

Can you imagine Marland masturbating?? Ugh! Its like imaging that idiot Serial Scholar masturbating. Gross!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 188April 11, 2019 6:23 PM

Ugh, r188. Only thing worse is imagining Spicen jerking it.

by Anonymousreply 189April 11, 2019 6:26 PM

R184 is brain dead in the extreme. Marland was the foot fetishist, which meant HE would be the toesucker, not the other way around.

by Anonymousreply 190April 11, 2019 6:26 PM

R190, a foot fetish actually is an obsession with footwear as opposed to bare feet.

by Anonymousreply 191April 11, 2019 7:51 PM

R191 Uh, no, that would be a shoe fetish! A foot fetishist loves feet. Sometimes also shoes and or socks, but generally speaking, feet.

by Anonymousreply 192April 11, 2019 8:37 PM

Wow, Cynthia Watros - formerly GL's Annie - is taking over a role at General Hospital.

I might have to watch that fuckery.

by Anonymousreply 193April 11, 2019 8:38 PM

Watros is taking over Michelle Stafford's role of Nina ... a pointless character, but Watros may be able to breathe some life into her.

by Anonymousreply 194April 11, 2019 8:48 PM

Watros is an alcoholic. She’ll never last.

by Anonymousreply 195April 11, 2019 8:49 PM

Ironic that Cady McClain was rumored for that recast and then Watros got it, since Cady took over a role for Watros on Y&R.

by Anonymousreply 196April 11, 2019 9:18 PM

That's not irony, r196. Coincidence, maybe.

by Anonymousreply 197April 11, 2019 9:23 PM

R197 It's like raaaain on your wedding day!

by Anonymousreply 198April 11, 2019 9:59 PM

Darling! It's Ambrose!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199April 11, 2019 11:32 PM

20 years ago today, April 12, 1999, NBC cancelled Another World and renewed Sunset Beach for only 6 moths before it went off the air in December 1999. NBC made some stupid decisions through the years regarding their daytime lineup

by Anonymousreply 200April 12, 2019 11:19 PM

AW deserved to be cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 201April 13, 2019 1:53 PM

r201 Only because NBC and P&G turned it into something that deserved to be canceled.

by Anonymousreply 202April 13, 2019 2:53 PM

Cynthia Watros did a fantastic job as a temp Vicky on Another World. Brought back memories of Anne Heche and she certainly had a twin rapport with Ellen Wheeler than Jensen Buchanan never achieved.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203April 13, 2019 4:00 PM

Watros is an alcoholic. Look at her now - she has alky face like Jensen. They both have a problem.

by Anonymousreply 204April 13, 2019 4:08 PM

[quote]Out all the soaps, The Edge of Night and Dark Shadows are really the most "rebootable".

EON could do a story arc about a woman facing jail time for trying to use bribes to get her shallow, unmotivated, and not very bright daughter into college.

by Anonymousreply 205April 13, 2019 4:08 PM

Should we all be concerned that SON's been down for over a day now. I mean, I always figured it'd be done for when the last show bites the dust, but there's A LOT of decent commentary/information there.

by Anonymousreply 206April 13, 2019 9:04 PM

Would any network ever start a new soap? Tyler Perry managed to do it but no one else will try. Meanwhile, telenovelas are still going strong in Spanish-speaking countries.

by Anonymousreply 207April 13, 2019 9:06 PM

May 1985 AW closing credits

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208April 14, 2019 11:54 AM

From those credits, there are what? four characters who had been on for longer than 3-4 years?

by Anonymousreply 209April 14, 2019 10:30 PM

R203

AW was never able to convince me that Vicky would ever be with Jake after he'd raped Marley.

Marley's rape & the fall out was so earth shattering there's no way in hell Vicky would've ever been with him again.

Not to mention Marley being copacetic about it. Hell no!

by Anonymousreply 210April 14, 2019 11:15 PM

Even Marland couldn't make me accept Rod Landry as a romantic lead. And we didn't hear of his rape of Iva until Lily was almost an adult.

Why do they think they can make rapists into heroes?

by Anonymousreply 211April 14, 2019 11:19 PM

Beat me to it, R211. R210, it seemed like *every* soap had to have at least *one* redeemed rapist. Hell, on ATWT, the whole Snyder clan celebrated Meg's marriage to Josh. Emma was there smiling and wiping tears from her eyes, and poor Iva was pressured into being a bridesmaid!!! As someone who unfortunately has some experience with sexual assault... just NO. And I say that as a raving Marland fan.

by Anonymousreply 212April 14, 2019 11:22 PM

I heard that Connie Ford and Irene Daily were lovers.

by Anonymousreply 213April 15, 2019 10:38 AM

I was never able to think of Jake's raping Marley as anything other than the idiot plotting du jour. There was some bad writing going on then.

by Anonymousreply 214April 15, 2019 12:44 PM

R214

I couldn't disagree more. Jake raping Marley was the catalyst to one of my favorite storylines ever--Who Shot Jake.

Perfectly plotted & paced, brilliant acting and a true who-dun-it.

by Anonymousreply 215April 15, 2019 1:01 PM

Yeah...I wasn't that fond of "Who Shot Jake?", either, r215.

by Anonymousreply 216April 15, 2019 1:05 PM

It was Paulina who shot Jake, right? Was she being played by Cali Timmins or Judi Evans at the time?

by Anonymousreply 217April 15, 2019 1:07 PM

"Who Shot Jake" gets a lot of love ... but I wasn't so thrilled with it either, R215.

I think Eplin and Buchanan had some chemistry, but I much preferred him with Judi Evans. I don't know why they squandered that pairing only to waste Evans in a deadly dull match with Joe Carlino.

by Anonymousreply 218April 15, 2019 1:10 PM

Joe Carlino and his sister were two of the worst characters who weren't named either Dean or Jenna. Or Bobby Shane Robbereno.

by Anonymousreply 219April 15, 2019 1:14 PM

Both Jensen and Cynthia W had dui’s in real life. Alcoholics.

by Anonymousreply 220April 15, 2019 1:21 PM

I'm reading that Jake raped Marley and got shot in October, 1990. I was heavily into Oakdale that year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221April 15, 2019 1:21 PM

ATWT was perfection in 1990 (except for WSCC?).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222April 15, 2019 1:30 PM

[quote]From those credits, there are what? four characters who had been on for longer than 3-4 years?

R209 If you last watched AW in 1980 and then tuned in again in 1985, the only characters you would have recognized would have been Mac, Rachel, Ada, Liz Matthews, Brian Bancroft, Clarice and Larry Ewing.

You would have also been familiar with the characters of Jamie Frame and Sally Frame, although they were played by different actors in 1985 (Stephen Yates and Mary Page Keller).

If you had waited til 1987 to tune in, the only characters from 1980 you would have recognized would have been Rachel, Mac and Ada, plus Jamie, although he was played by yet a different actor by that point (Larry Lau). Also, Liz Matthews returned to Bay City in late 1987 after a year and a half away.

by Anonymousreply 223April 15, 2019 1:55 PM

If you watched GL in 1980 and didn't watch again until 1987, you would have known very few of those characters either -- Alan Spaulding, Ross Marler, Bea Reardon, Vanessa Chamberlain and Henry Chamberlain.

You would have also known the characters of Ed Bauer, Rick Bauer and Phillip Spaulding, although all were played by different actors in 1987.

by Anonymousreply 224April 15, 2019 2:00 PM

Liz Matthews had a great snatch!

by Anonymousreply 225April 15, 2019 3:13 PM

R217

Cali was playing Paulina when she shot Jake.

by Anonymousreply 226April 15, 2019 3:21 PM

I agree about amaze and Vicky. There is no way they would have ever gotten together after the rape. He should have been left with Paulina. They had chemistry and drama built in to their pairing. I hated Paulina's storyline with Joe and hated that Jake and Vicky were written as the romance of the ages.

by Anonymousreply 227April 15, 2019 5:56 PM

You're dead now, Pete.

by Anonymousreply 228April 15, 2019 6:21 PM

1990 ATWT was pretty damn amazing. The Casey story was heart-breaking and the transformation of Andy into an adult was great.

Pity about Paul's mullet, though.

by Anonymousreply 229April 15, 2019 8:28 PM

And SDF could hardly have been cuter than when Andy went to rehab.

by Anonymousreply 230April 15, 2019 9:11 PM

"The Casey story was heart-breaking"

It also got pretty risque in one scene where Lyla disrobed and MOUNTED Casey, LOL.

by Anonymousreply 231April 15, 2019 10:41 PM

Why did they kill Casey off? He was such a plus. Did Bill Shanks want out?

by Anonymousreply 232April 15, 2019 10:43 PM

[quote] . The Casey story was heart-breaking

Bill Shanks who played Casey retired from acting and is now an L.A. P.I.

by Anonymousreply 233April 15, 2019 10:44 PM

I wish he had stayed. I liked Casey.

by Anonymousreply 234April 15, 2019 10:51 PM

He actually agreed to a limited return for the Guillain-Barré syndrome storyline, but when they had to change Margos, the show asked him to stay longer so he and Ellen Dolan could develop a relationship first...and he agreed to stay.

by Anonymousreply 235April 15, 2019 10:54 PM

Gil Hobson ate out my pussy.

by Anonymousreply 236April 16, 2019 2:10 AM

I went back to youtube on a completely unrelated matter today, and found the next episode in the ATWT sequence I started watching yesterday. It opens on Little Miss Seattle whipping up some eggs for her new husband, Caleb Snyder, in the person of sizzling Michael David Morrison. Now we know he killed himself, and it may have been related in some way to the fact that he was gay.

More than any other famous person, MDM looks like my first boyfriend, so it's particularly sad for me to watch him from the perspective of all these years and so much experience. I so wish he hadn't done that.

Start at 0:01.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237April 16, 2019 7:13 PM

Gay? Well, he was married to a woman (I know, I know...), and I thought the scandal was that he died while with ANOTHER woman.

by Anonymousreply 238April 16, 2019 7:23 PM

Oh, really, r238? Then I don't feel so bad.

by Anonymousreply 239April 16, 2019 7:26 PM

Tom Casiello tweeted a pic of RSW today & said doesn't this look like Tom Elpin back in the day? It really did.

Any way someone tweeted that they always wondered what happened to him because he just disappeared.

TC said TE retired & is living the good life in Southern California. He invested well & is happily living the good life.

I know people have wondered in these threads WEHT Elpin. Now we know.

by Anonymousreply 240April 16, 2019 9:20 PM

I could never stand Eplin. I’m glad he disappeared.

by Anonymousreply 241April 16, 2019 10:34 PM

Where, r240? I don't see RSW or Eplin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242April 16, 2019 10:48 PM

R242

Click on his Tweets & Replies and scroll thru his TL.

by Anonymousreply 243April 16, 2019 10:52 PM

r243 I'd have to join twitter to do that. Thanks, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 244April 16, 2019 10:53 PM

I wasn't a fan of Eplin because I didn't watch AW while he was on, but I found him really nicely self-deprecating as he was forced to fulfill his contract at ATWT. He could have been bitter or a lazy actor, but he really threw himself into the job as the last surviving remnant of AW.

by Anonymousreply 245April 17, 2019 12:50 AM

So are all of these shows.

by Anonymousreply 246April 17, 2019 1:04 AM

Tom had good chemistry with Lesli Kay, and his death scene is heartbreaking. I was pissed off when Molly came back during ATWT's last year, and she never even mentioned Jake.

by Anonymousreply 247April 17, 2019 1:13 AM

[quote] I found him really nicely self-deprecating as he was forced to fulfill his contract at ATWT.

R245 Tom Eplin wasn't forced to fullfill his contract at ATWT. Far from it. He insisted upon it.

When Tom renewed his contract with AW in late 1998, there were many rumors that AW was headed to the chopping block soon. So, Tom had his agent insert a clause that if AW were to be cancelled, he would then move to another P&G show to finish out the contract. P&G agreed to that clause and that's why Tom was playing Jake on ATWT for three years.

by Anonymousreply 248April 17, 2019 1:22 AM

I was pissed off that Molly ever existed on ATWT. Talk about a harbinger of horribility.

by Anonymousreply 249April 17, 2019 5:05 AM

That's not how I remember it. Tom insisted that that last contract be for three years and that he be paid for three years, whether AW was on the air or not. It was P&G who agreed to that only under the condition that the contract be with P&G, not the show. Tom didn't want the work, he wanted the money.

by Anonymousreply 250April 17, 2019 11:41 AM

Kelly Ripa mentioning Chris Goutman several times on Kelly &Ryan this morning.

by Anonymousreply 251April 17, 2019 1:58 PM

r237 I remember discovering masturbation at 12 years old and Michael David Morrison as Caleb Snyder was the subject of one of my first cumshots. It was a love scene with him and Julie and I wanted to be in her place. You never forget your first LOL

by Anonymousreply 252April 17, 2019 5:32 PM

Michael Davidson Morrison was completely straight, to be clear. Yes, he was hot. Yes, us gays loved him but he was a drug addict who was straight and cheated on his wife with another woman. He ate pussy up until his final moments.

by Anonymousreply 253April 17, 2019 5:39 PM

I wonder who told us he was gay. It was someone here on DL, a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 254April 17, 2019 5:49 PM

R254 Isn’t everyone gay on DL? lol Every poster on here knows that everyone is gay. Michael David Morrison fucked his wife and the woman he was with when he died just to hide that he was gay. lolololol Ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 255April 17, 2019 6:09 PM

I guess, r255. Still, I liked thinking someone who once meant something to me, however fictitious the situation may have been, was, in fact, a taster of dong. I don't give a rat's ass if Prissy Sissy Shawn or Richard Madden is gay, but I had really liked MDM's Caleb.

by Anonymousreply 256April 17, 2019 6:12 PM

R251

Why did Ripa bring up Goutman & what did she say about him?

by Anonymousreply 257April 17, 2019 10:43 PM

MDM was excellent as Caleb, he really had an edge to him. The replacement Caleb, Graham something, was kind of bland, but I found him visually more attractive, especially in his one bedroom scene on the show.

by Anonymousreply 258April 18, 2019 12:21 AM

Ewww... Replacement Caleb looked like Charlie Brown. MDM was... something else.

by Anonymousreply 259April 18, 2019 2:32 AM

How was I today's years old when I learned ATWT's Julie was married to Tonio in real life. They had a kid but are now divorced.

I may have known it back in the day but I have to recollection.

by Anonymousreply 260April 18, 2019 1:46 PM

Nobody’s mentioned that the girl in the scenes with Andrew Kavovit (Paul) is Amy Ryan, who’s had a substantial film/TV career and was nominated for an Oscar for Gone Baby Gone.

by Anonymousreply 261April 18, 2019 3:25 PM

In R237’s link, sorry

by Anonymousreply 262April 18, 2019 3:26 PM

Irene Daily got fired from AW because she was a lezzy. Whitesell hated her.

by Anonymousreply 263April 18, 2019 3:43 PM

Hate Aunt Liz?

by Anonymousreply 264April 18, 2019 4:25 PM

I hated Jake's death, too. I dint hate Molly, but I wasn't a long term ATWT viewer. I thought Lesli and Tom had great chemistry. I liked Jake with Julia, too. Annie Parissi was great in that role.

by Anonymousreply 265April 19, 2019 12:00 AM

Julia was sacrificed at the Altar of Carly.

by Anonymousreply 266April 19, 2019 12:47 AM

Yes, the Carly/Jack/Julia triangle would have been so much more powerful had the writers allowed Julia to find her strength and move on from Jack. She deserved better after all she went through than to be portrayed as as an immoral crazy person. That's not who she was.

And I don't even say this as an anti-Carly person. Carly's dignity was sacrificed for Jack, too, and I didn't like that any better. Jack just wasn't... all that.

by Anonymousreply 267April 19, 2019 12:56 AM

Jack and Carly were having sex while poor Julia was having a miscarriage of Jack's baby...and they made Julia the villain!

by Anonymousreply 268April 19, 2019 1:04 AM

When folks on Twitter were tweeting about Watros coming to GH everyone was talking about the Annie story.

Tom Cassiello (who is a huge CW fan) said the writing staff at ATWT kept being told to use Annie's cracking as the blueprint for Julia.

by Anonymousreply 269April 19, 2019 2:33 AM

Casiello’s a nutjob. He ruined every show he worked on. He’s an idiot. The kiss of death.

by Anonymousreply 270April 19, 2019 2:40 AM

R270

I enjoy him on Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 271April 19, 2019 3:52 AM

I am barely aware of this Casiello person. I don't think I heard of him before DL. I had long since given up watching WT, I guess, when he got there.

by Anonymousreply 272April 19, 2019 3:57 AM

R272

He wrote for ATWT, GL, Days, OLTL, YR

by Anonymousreply 273April 19, 2019 12:28 PM

My soap watching post-1995 is spotty. WT sucked so bad from then until Luke came out, after '95, I would only watch scenes with Luke, Noah, or Reid in them (no Andy Dixon, no me).

I gave up on GL after Maureen died.

I never watched DOOL.

I watched OLTL only sporadically. That may have been the most Casiello-ful show I watched, but their end credits were either too small or too fast to read. And I had given it up completely as of Easter/Elio weekend, 2000.

I watched Y&R from 2005 until a couple of months into MAB. I loved LML, Kevin, and Gloria. I don't know if Casiello was part of that or not.

by Anonymousreply 274April 19, 2019 12:46 PM

Tom Casiello was always a breakdown/outline writer on soaps. People want to blame him for things, but he never, ever had a role in story. So I cackle like Solita Carrera on a bender when someone tries to pin something on him.

He had a blog that he wrote between soap gigs which was very informative about the genre and a lot of how the behind the scenes stuff works. I can't remember between what and what but I think he stopped doing it when he was hired at Y&R?

Anyway, people bitching about him? Need to aim way, way higher.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 275April 19, 2019 9:34 PM

PS Four blog posts about the Marland bible for ATWT was in that Casiello blog. I know it's been posted on the various Midwestern threads a few times. It is such an amazing read for anyone who loved that era.

by Anonymousreply 276April 19, 2019 9:35 PM

Casiello is a bitter old queen. He wanted a headwriter job but never got one on daytime soaps. He was/is a complete MESS! Ask his former husband . Now HE has stories to tell about miserable Tommy.

by Anonymousreply 277April 20, 2019 1:11 AM

Casiello is a total asshole.

by Anonymousreply 278April 20, 2019 3:54 AM

It's interesting that people say the Julia Lindsey character was inspired by Annie Dutton on GL, because Carly of WT is very similar to Reva Shayne... the bad girl turned heroine who is shoved down viewers' throats and ends up dominating the show with her great 'love' Jack/Josh.

by Anonymousreply 279April 20, 2019 3:57 AM

I still thought Carly was an A grade cunt even through the Julia years when we were supposed to root for her. I don't know what Maura thinks but the Carly who was despised by the whole town was a far more potent character, even more so than the poorly written role she currently plays on GH.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280April 20, 2019 3:58 AM

Holy shit the 90s were amazing for insufferable bitch characters. The two Carlys on ATWT and GH, Blair on OLTL, Sami on Days, Phyllis on Y&R. I think that was the peak.

by Anonymousreply 281April 20, 2019 4:00 AM

Oct 11, 1979 episode of AW. Full episode, including full end credits.

This episode features many scenes of Geraldine Court as June Laverty (first one starts at 17:10) and Charles Cioffe as Kirk Laverty (first one starts at 22:27).

Also heavily featured in Ray Liotta as Joey Perrini (starts 6:00), as well as Maeve Kinkaed as his sister Angie (best scene starts 40:30) and Kathleeen Widdoes as Rose Perrini.

Also nice scenes of Russ Matthews returning home (starts 26:00)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 282April 20, 2019 5:04 AM

I was a friend of Geri’s-no, I’m not a former gal pal or Anna Banana. Geri HATED playing June Laverty. She was no fan of Charles Cioffi’s and even less of the guy who played her younger lover. She wasn’t too fond of him sticking his tongue down her throat in love scenes. She told me she was fascinated by McKinsey and the power she wielded on that set. She said McKinsey had little lights installed in dresser drawers and she’d take every opportunity to have Iris walk over to them and open them up because being lit from below was far more flattering than being lit from above.

by Anonymousreply 283April 20, 2019 5:17 AM

Bev was a grade A cunt! The cast hated her.

by Anonymousreply 284April 20, 2019 5:36 AM

With so many lezzies on AW, who’s snatch did Geri Court eat out? Connie Ford?

by Anonymousreply 285April 20, 2019 7:33 AM

R277

Put up of shut up. You keep insinuating you know dish about Casiello & his husband.

The floor is yours.

by Anonymousreply 286April 20, 2019 9:36 AM

Ignore R277.

Muriel should ban her like she just banned the other loon.

by Anonymousreply 287April 20, 2019 10:26 AM

Is r277 Spicen?

by Anonymousreply 288April 20, 2019 12:30 PM

It's one of those messes, R288, not sure which.

by Anonymousreply 289April 20, 2019 12:43 PM

Could Spicen actually BE Tom Casiello?

by Anonymousreply 290April 20, 2019 12:45 PM

Serial Nutjob is off his meds again.

by Anonymousreply 291April 20, 2019 1:04 PM

Spicen, I am not Serial.

by Anonymousreply 292April 20, 2019 1:28 PM

Queen Casiello blocked Serial Psycho on twitter last month. The psycho was harassing Tommie.

by Anonymousreply 293April 20, 2019 2:33 PM

Can we not mention either S word poster here?

Or the DDD?

The air will be so much clearer. LOL

by Anonymousreply 294April 20, 2019 10:43 PM

[quote] She said McKinsey had little lights installed in dresser drawers and she’d take every opportunity to have Iris walk over to them and open them up because being lit from below was far more flattering than being lit from above.

Hah, love that!

Deidre Hall apparently has a whole slew of tricks, too.

The lighting on the P&G shows and on OLTL was unforgivingly bright for a lot of the late 70s and early 80s. AW was so dark at times it was like watching people in shadows, but at other times it was bathed in very unflattering light.

by Anonymousreply 295April 20, 2019 11:01 PM

"AW was so dark at times it was like watching people in shadows"

Well, none of them could compare to the darkness that was Y&R in the Eighties. The menus at the Colonnade Room must have been written in braille.

by Anonymousreply 296April 20, 2019 11:27 PM

R280, that scene of Barbara lecturing Carly reminded me of when the tables were turned. Barbara was acquitted of the crimes she committed against Emily, Rose and Carly on a technicality. Barbara is left alone in the courtroom, and it's left to Carly to verbally destroy her. Maura convinced me of her talent in that one scene (which I haven't been able to find since), because she never went over the top, but still manage to put the knife into Barbara.

by Anonymousreply 297April 21, 2019 12:51 AM

I wonder if Tommie Casiello actually wrote a breakdown or script that was submitted for Emmy consideration. The truth is that a daytime writer can win an Emmy when they had nothing to do with the episodes that won the show the Emmy. The shows submit 2 episodes but they have a rotating team of breakdown and script writers and chances are good that writers who had nothing to do with the 2 submitted episodes can win an Emmy. Did Queen Tommie actually have anything to do with the episodes that won emmys? Hmmmmmmm

by Anonymousreply 298April 21, 2019 3:46 PM

No one has mentioned me lately.

by Anonymousreply 299April 22, 2019 3:06 PM

I’m a viscious bitch.

by Anonymousreply 300April 22, 2019 5:08 PM

Victoria Wyndham posted today on Instagram: “They had to put down my beautiful boy today. So sad and so sudden.” She was referring to one of her horses. Insert joke here.

by Anonymousreply 301April 23, 2019 12:18 AM

Has Tom Casiello, writer extraordinaire, commented yet?

by Anonymousreply 302April 23, 2019 12:27 AM

R302

No, but today he posted a beautiful heartfelt thread about KSJ. Really lovely.

by Anonymousreply 303April 23, 2019 1:11 AM

Of course Queen Casiello made Kristoff’s death all about him. I wouldn’t expect anything different.

by Anonymousreply 304April 23, 2019 5:42 AM

R303 it was a lovely thread, indeed

by Anonymousreply 305April 23, 2019 8:44 PM

Tom Casiello mocked Victoria Rowell which is the reason Serial Scholar laid into him.

by Anonymousreply 306April 24, 2019 6:40 PM

R306

He did not mock VR in his tribute thread to KSJ.

by Anonymousreply 307April 24, 2019 7:31 PM

Can someone please provide the link to Tom's tribute to Kristoff so the rest of us can know what people are talking about.

by Anonymousreply 308April 24, 2019 10:09 PM

He never mocked Rowell. Some queen had a flouncing fit and said Casiello's writing disrespected Rowell, as if TC was the head writer. Whoever that person is? is a fucking mess from hell.

by Anonymousreply 309April 24, 2019 10:32 PM

TC's thread on KSJ is easily found.

I've posted it in the Y&R thread....which is where it belongs

by Anonymousreply 310April 24, 2019 10:34 PM

Serial Nutcase has mental issues. Everyone knows it. He baits people into arguments because he has no life outside twitter. No real life friends and his family disowned him so he gets off on baiting. He’s a sick psycho. Casiello handled him perfectly.

by Anonymousreply 311April 24, 2019 10:36 PM

Thanks f310. And the Y&R thread is where the discussion belongs. Not here.

by Anonymousreply 312April 24, 2019 10:41 PM

Indeed. The less we see or hear of these toxic Twitter messes, the better.

by Anonymousreply 313April 24, 2019 10:42 PM

India! Floyd!

Miss Sally's big ole fuckin' HAT!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 314April 25, 2019 1:44 PM

LOL at the comments that Mike Bauer looked "good in those pants"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 315April 25, 2019 11:06 PM

Can you people weigh in on one of the greatest mysteries of life?...............

What in the hell happened to Anne Heche's voice? She had a lovely voice on AW do since leaving her voice is 100% changed. I don't even know how to accurately describe it except it's so unattractive. I saw her on TV last week & it's like a clipped squawk.

by Anonymousreply 316April 25, 2019 11:47 PM

Shut up Serial Psycho dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 317April 26, 2019 7:37 PM

Ron Raines is in "Lady in the Dark" at City Center starring Victoria Clark. Seeing it tomorrow. Just saw Grant Aleksander in "Perfect Crime". Kim Zimmer needs to be Ouiser in Steel Magnolias with Kathleen Turner as Clairee. in the past year off Broadway, I've also seen Denise Pence and Ellen Parker from Guiding Light, not to mention Robert LuPone from many soaps and of course Guiding Light as Rogers attorney.

by Anonymousreply 318April 26, 2019 9:28 PM

I still can't believe Ron was in Follies

AND got a Tony nom

by Anonymousreply 319April 26, 2019 9:57 PM

I saw Harve Presnell in "The Unsinkable Molly Brown" with Debbie, but Ron took over at some point. Later, Debbie came to see him in "Follies".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 320April 27, 2019 10:46 AM

I know she's retired, but I'd love to see Marj Dusay in a short-term role on a soap or maybe on stage in "The Waverly Gallery" or something similar. Maybe Dina Abbott has a sister we do not know about! Last word on Marj was that she had back surgery (2 years ago).

Anyway, here's the picture of Ron and Debbie backstage at Follies with Bernadette.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 321April 27, 2019 10:52 AM

Sorry for the redirect on the picture above. When I went to see "Perfect Crime", the two women in front of me obviously knew who Grant Alexander was. He was wearing a very loose suit so you could not see anything dangling. Pity.

by Anonymousreply 322April 27, 2019 10:55 AM

I wish I could have seen that show with either Grant or Robert Newman.

by Anonymousreply 323April 27, 2019 1:24 PM

Ron Raines is really good in Lady in the Dark. I'm watching old episodes of The Doctors, Elizabeth Hubbard is so gorgeous. Gerald Gordon tells someone that already invented radium. Anna Stuart is just wonderful in Her first episodes. In watching Elizabeth, I don't see Lucinda in this part at all. She is brilliant. When Anna played Donna on As the World Turns, she said working with Elizabeth again with like coming home.

by Anonymousreply 324April 28, 2019 8:00 AM

Sorry, I meant to say that Gerald Gordon said that the girl who that she had invested radium Greer Garson had already done that. I'm watching later Elizabeth Hubbard on The Doctors, and she looks like Julie Adams. She has darker hair later on.

by Anonymousreply 325April 28, 2019 8:10 AM
by Anonymousreply 326April 28, 2019 8:14 AM

*gasp!* My queen....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327April 28, 2019 5:34 PM

Liz was truly great in those early Doctors episodes. She has her little Liz-isms but not out of control. Althea is a really strong character.

by Anonymousreply 328April 28, 2019 11:30 PM

And yes, Liz is gorgeous as Althea!

Althea and Maggie are a hoot together in a lot of scenes.

by Anonymousreply 329April 28, 2019 11:30 PM

r327 Why, that's young "Ol' Lucy."

by Anonymousreply 330April 29, 2019 12:33 AM

Stay the fuck out of here, Dumbass

by Anonymousreply 331April 29, 2019 2:48 AM

I hope Solita didn’t get run over by a government vehicle today in Caracas.

by Anonymousreply 332April 30, 2019 9:39 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 333April 30, 2019 10:03 PM

In honor of the bump, Jennifer Ashe's first day as Meg, Holden smoldering, and Kim getting news.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 334April 30, 2019 10:30 PM

May 1 will mark the 30 year anniversary of Douglass Watson's death!

Hard to imagine its been that long. Mac death was shattering to me. And it hurt the show so much.

And May 2 will mark the 11th anniversary of Beverlee McKinsey's death.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 335April 30, 2019 11:35 PM

By the mid-90s, Rachel was such a shell and lost most of her best scene partners. First Mac, then Ada, then Iris. I'm glad VW got along with CK so well, but I don't know if Rachel-Carl should have happened. How do we feel she did opposite that various Matthews and Amandas?

by Anonymousreply 336April 30, 2019 11:40 PM

R335 Both are hard to believe.

I miss Bev.

by Anonymousreply 337April 30, 2019 11:43 PM

Speaking on anniversaries, May 4 will mark the 55th anniversary of Another World's debut in 1964.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 338April 30, 2019 11:46 PM

Bev and that voice. Yuk!!!

by Anonymousreply 339April 30, 2019 11:50 PM

I remember distinctly learning of Watson's death. Back then the newspapers would do soap recaps every week and if there was any important soap news they would publish it in the daily paper.

I was home from college sitting at my mom's breakfast table skimming the paper. There was a big picture of Doug and an article saying he'd died from a heart attack while on vacation.

I was stunned. I actually wept because Mac Cory was the ideal father & I most certainly did not have an ideal father. I had a father that rejected me & Mac loved his kids through thick & thin.

To this day I maintain the best male criers in the history of soaps are Douglas Watson and Tony Geary.

by Anonymousreply 340May 1, 2019 12:26 AM

[quote] I hope Solita didn’t get run over by a government vehicle today in Caracas.

Bitch is probably leading the coup!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 341May 1, 2019 3:36 PM

R340 MARY!

MARY!

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 342May 1, 2019 3:36 PM

We don’t miss you Bev. Goodbye!

by Anonymousreply 343May 1, 2019 6:41 PM

We wouldn't miss you, Spicen. Goodbye! (If only.)

by Anonymousreply 344May 1, 2019 6:55 PM

Let's stay on topic, you hussies, or I'll kick you with my good leg!

by Anonymousreply 345May 1, 2019 11:07 PM

Ha ha ha. Former AW and ATWT writer Tom Casiello blocked that asshole serial nutcase on twitter. Ha ha ha asshole.

by Anonymousreply 346May 2, 2019 11:32 AM

Looks like Grant's pendulous dong - and Robert Newman, too - are back on stage this summer in that same play.......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 347May 3, 2019 1:00 AM

R347

I'd still fuck them both any day of the week.

by Anonymousreply 348May 3, 2019 4:27 AM

I'd drain both those dangling dongs!

by Anonymousreply 349May 3, 2019 6:35 PM

For my fellow Danny Markel fans!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 350May 3, 2019 6:36 PM

More Markel, starting at 13:22, and running throughout.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 351May 3, 2019 6:44 PM

I knew Jon Hensley was on OLTL but was surprised to see him pop up in this clip.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 352May 3, 2019 8:08 PM

R347 Grant Alexander was on the day I saw Perfect Crime in January as understudy.

by Anonymousreply 353May 5, 2019 5:46 PM

Was that before Hensley was on ATWT, R352?

by Anonymousreply 354May 5, 2019 7:31 PM

R354 Yes, I think he was on OLTL earlier in 1985, which is when he was cast as Holden. He probably did that scene late 84/early 85. Which would track with RS's time on the show, since she was on and off in 84-85 before starting My Sister Sam.

by Anonymousreply 355May 5, 2019 10:04 PM

We've been doing some chatting here and there about The Doctors (Madison is certainly one of those Magnificent Midwestern Towns) but by request a thread of its own has been created.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 356May 7, 2019 2:40 PM

This week 11 years ago was when Noelle Beck became nuLily.

Letting Martha Byrne go was truly the dumbest thing Goutie ever did.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 357May 10, 2019 8:17 PM

Wasn't it over guarantees or something like that?

by Anonymousreply 358May 10, 2019 8:29 PM

R358 Yes, she had taken like a 60 percent pay cut, she just wanted to make sure she got a basic guarantee, I think it was a show and a half or two shows a week and he wanted her to be recurring.

by Anonymousreply 359May 10, 2019 8:30 PM

R359

That never made sense to me because Lily was never used in a recurring fashion when Beck took over. She was still getting really good airtime.

Did Goutman not like Martha?

by Anonymousreply 360May 10, 2019 8:37 PM

R360 Supposedly Martha was his muse - they certainly got on well when Hogan Sheffer wrote the show.

Not sure if there was a falling out, or if Goutie was forced to hold the line by P&G or the network.

by Anonymousreply 361May 10, 2019 9:23 PM

Has Marcia McCabe written a book about Goutie yet?

by Anonymousreply 362May 10, 2019 11:21 PM

Didn't Marcia finally leave him? I wonder if she's finally sober? It always surprised me that she was able to maintain her looks through alcoholism. That is a rarity.

by Anonymousreply 363May 10, 2019 11:56 PM

Yes, McCabe and Goutman are divorced.

by Anonymousreply 364May 11, 2019 12:00 AM

They were in Digest somewhat recently

by Anonymousreply 365May 11, 2019 12:42 AM

Goutman screwed that show so bad. If you're ending a 54-year show, give the people what they wanted: Real-Lily and Holden, Katie with Simon (NOT Chris Hughes!), lots of return visits by fan favorites, clips of pivotal moments, etc. Instead we got Janet, Liberty, Gabriel, fake-Paul, fake-Craig, fake-Dusty, fake-Lily,one (out of 7) original Snyders, etc. I hate Goutman so much.

by Anonymousreply 366May 11, 2019 1:04 AM

Mark Pinters first wife was on Hoda & Jenna today with Siri. Wonder what Siri thinks of her former step mom Colleen, who cheated with Mark?

by Anonymousreply 367May 11, 2019 4:56 AM

R367

Why was his first with on Hoda?

by Anonymousreply 368May 11, 2019 2:37 PM

R366, and NO EMMA in the end??? I know some people didn't like the Snyders, but my God... Kathleen Widdoes was one of the best actresses they ever had, and Emma and her farm had such a sentimental hold on many viewers. They could have written such beautiful, touching scenes at the Snyder farm if they had just made the effort.

"Letting Martha Byrne go was truly the dumbest thing Goutie ever did."

Yes, but letting Scott Bryce go was way up there, too. So many mistakes... Can you imagine if they had brought back Jennifer Ashe as Meg and put her in a tortured love story with Craig, rather than going with the boring and depressing Paul/Meg pairing? I just have no idea what they were thinking.

by Anonymousreply 369May 11, 2019 5:54 PM

[quote] Why was his first with on Hoda?

Siri Pinter had some sort of connection to Today because she dated, and then married, Carson Daly, who is occasionally on it.

by Anonymousreply 370May 11, 2019 6:55 PM

[quote] NO EMMA in the end???

I think Kathleen W was having severe health problems and couldn't do the shows.

by Anonymousreply 371May 11, 2019 6:56 PM

Siri Pinter Daly has regular cooking segments on The Today hours and in honor of Mother’s Day, she had her mom on with her.

by Anonymousreply 372May 11, 2019 7:48 PM

meow meow meow

by Anonymousreply 373May 13, 2019 5:52 PM

Two veteran "As the World Turns" actors who left of their own accord and should have at least come back for a cameo at the end were Patricia Bruder (Ellen Stewart) and Ann Sward (Lyla Montgomery). Bruder, not much younger than Kathryn Hays, had been on since 1960, and only returned for a few episodes in 1998 after leaving in 1995. I believe that Sward came back a couple of times.

I saw an interview with Patricia Bruder where she talk about leaving New York and going onto a different line of work. She had basically been relegated to being assumed to be near Nancy's age when she really was Penny and Lisa's age. I always like Ellen more than Kim and thought Patricia was prettier too even with the middle-aged clothes and hairstyle they gave her when she was only in her 30's and 40's. They did you send her a bit, but by that time she really had little to do other than be supporting in Betsy and Emily's storylines. what really was ridiculous was John calling back and John Reilly playing her son when they were not much younger, probably less than a decade!

by Anonymousreply 374May 14, 2019 1:50 AM

Kathryn Hays is actually 3 years older than Patricia Bruder. I guess Patricia just went with the flow for the steady job and didn't complain especially since Ellen became matriarchal during Irna Phillips' last years as head writer while she built up Kim.

by Anonymousreply 375May 14, 2019 2:00 AM

You can watch episodes on Youtube from right after Dan's death where Kim keeps calling Ellen "Mom." It sounds so wrong.

by Anonymousreply 376May 14, 2019 10:48 AM

Only 7 months difference in Pat Bruder and John Reilly in age.

Patricia Bruder was born in April 1936.

John Reilly was born in November 1936.

As for the others in that age range:

Kathryn Hays was born in July 1933.

Eileen Fulton was born in September 1933.

Don Hastings was born in April 1934.

Helen Wagner was born in September 1918.

by Anonymousreply 377May 14, 2019 11:16 AM

I always thought Pat was way older than she actually was.

Kathy Hays, Eileen and Liz Hubbard all turned 85 last year!

by Anonymousreply 378May 14, 2019 12:33 PM

Pat and Helen Wagner were the last of the old style actors at ATWT, the acting cousins to Virginia Dwyer at AW - the old Merman, play to the audience kind of acting.

Helen was able to transition and knew how to do different approaches, but Pat was always so similar and blah, no matter the scene. And that fucking HAIR.

by Anonymousreply 379May 14, 2019 12:43 PM

"You can watch episodes on Youtube from right after Dan's death where Kim keeps calling Ellen 'Mom.' It sounds so wrong."

Yep, poor Ellen was well on her way to planning AIDS galas with Nancy and babysitting Dani.

by Anonymousreply 380May 14, 2019 12:44 PM

ATWT had a few cases of that age weirdness.

Anne Sward (Lyla) played much older, too, when on the show. She's now 68.

Hillary BS (Margo) and her predecessor Margaret Colin, as well as Scott Bryce (Craig #1), are all 60-61 years old.

So 7-8 years difference.

by Anonymousreply 381May 14, 2019 12:50 PM

And Tom's age was crazy through the whole show. First they SORAS-ed him to send him to Viet Nam, then SORAS-ed him a little more for Lien, then tried to keep him middle aged for, like, 30 years.

by Anonymousreply 382May 14, 2019 12:55 PM

I was just about to mention that. Tom was born in May 1961, jumped to about age 10 about four years later, sped up to 16 the next year ... I feel like Tom, Jamie Frame and Ed Bauer all had that problem.

by Anonymousreply 383May 14, 2019 12:57 PM

Amanda on AW went from seven one year to eighteen the next. I hated that.

by Anonymousreply 384May 14, 2019 1:52 PM

Do soap operas ever age characters down?

Asking for a friend.

by Anonymousreply 385May 14, 2019 1:55 PM

Teddy "Ryder" Hughes aged down when brought back in 1996. And of course Brad Snyder went from being Jack's older brother to being his younger brother.

by Anonymousreply 386May 14, 2019 1:57 PM

Not a P&G show, but Dr. Mike Horton (DOOL) lost a decade in 1985 and 1994.

by Anonymousreply 387May 14, 2019 2:17 PM

Amanda Spaulding lost a decade too.

by Anonymousreply 388May 14, 2019 2:19 PM

The SORAS Of Dan Stewart was one of the most egregious examples of that device. He was born in 1958 and was recast in 1966 as a 30 year old doctor.

Dan Stewart should have been Tom Hughes’ contemporary, and Paul Stewart should have been the one involved with Kim and Susan ( and the father of Betsy and Emily) in the 70s. That would have kept the Stewart family viable into the 80s and beyond.

by Anonymousreply 389May 14, 2019 2:45 PM

I always get confused by the Stewarts. Dan was Ellen's illegitimate kid, adopted by David and his wife. Paul was Dan's half-brother, David's biological son. And David fathered Annie and Dee? Paul fathered Betsy and Emily? The order goes Annie, Dee, Betsy and Emily? They're aunts with nieces close to their own ages?

by Anonymousreply 390May 14, 2019 3:41 PM

Pretty much. David and Betty had Paul and adopted Dan from Ellen Lowell and Tim Cole. Then David and Ellen had Carol Ann (Annie) and Dawn (Dee) in the late 60s. Dan had Betsy (1970) with Elizabeth and Emily (1972) with Susan. Paul had Stewart Cushing. Annie had four kids in the early 80s named Gregory, Lowell, Nancy, and Maria. Dee had no kids. Betsy had Danielle. Emily had Danny.

by Anonymousreply 391May 14, 2019 3:51 PM

Character who were de-SORASed include:

On Days, Mike Horton, Bill Horton and Laura Horton in the late 80s, early 90s, when the show recast the roles with younger actors, a deliberate choice by the show to make them younger.

On GL, Amanda Spaulding in the mid 90s and Alan-Michael Spaudling in the mid 2000s when the show cast younger actors in the part.

by Anonymousreply 392May 14, 2019 11:30 PM

The Alan-Michael recasting was particularly strange on GL.

In the early 90s, when played by Rick Hearst, the character romanced Eleni Cooper. However in 2005 when they deSORASED him with the casting of Michael Dempsey, A-M was a contemporary of Eleni's daughter Marina.

There was also a short-lived romance between A-M and Marina, which was particularly bizarre given that in the early 90s, Eleni initially wasn't sure if A-M or Frank Cooper was the father of baby Marina.

by Anonymousreply 393May 14, 2019 11:33 PM

This is how Wikipedia sums up Alan Michael's SORASing and subsequent deSORASing:

[quote]Alan-Michael Spaulding is a fictional character on the CBS soap opera Guiding Light. The character is the son of wealthy businessman, Alan Spaulding, and his former wife, Hope Bauer. Alan-Michael was born on-screen on September 23, 1981, but this was subsequently revised to 1970 when he turned 17 years old and then later to 1965 or 1966 during his brief dalliance with Marina Cooper in 2006.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 394May 14, 2019 11:52 PM

Wasn't Nicole Travis de-sorased on Edge Of Night?

by Anonymousreply 395May 15, 2019 3:08 AM

[quote]Wasn't Nicole Travis de-sorased on Edge Of Night?

Ah, that's a good one. Thanks for thinking of Nicole.

Maeve McGuire played the role until late 1977. Maeve was born in 1937.

Jayne Bentzen took over in early 1978. Jayne was born in 1955.

by Anonymousreply 396May 15, 2019 3:45 AM

Barbara Berjer was youthened when she was fired from As the World Turns, killed off as Claire (Ellen's mother) and cast as Barbara on Guiding Light. Augusta Dabney had been playing Barbara but went to star on "A World Apart" (replacing Elizabeth Lawrence) and it was revealed that Barbara was a decade younger than Claire. Early pictures of Barbara as Barbara indicate that she was quite a looker. Of course, she spent a decade on the show, returning while she was also on Procter & Gamble's Another World, totally stealing my heart as the Scottish Nanny Bridget, Jake and Victoria's surrogate mother. So Barbara Berger can say that she was Ellen's mother, Holly's mother and Jake and Victoria's mother, children of completely different generations.

by Anonymousreply 397May 18, 2019 2:02 PM

Barbara was born old

by Anonymousreply 398May 20, 2019 9:12 PM

So was Patsy Bruder.

by Anonymousreply 399May 20, 2019 9:25 PM

Barbara Norris had a weird scottish accent.

by Anonymousreply 400May 20, 2019 11:13 PM

Why did Bridget on AW have a Scottish accent? That always bugged me. Bridget is an Irish name, not a Scottish one.

by Anonymousreply 401May 21, 2019 1:24 AM

Tom Eplin's cock doesn't get the love on here that other pendulous dongs do.

But I bet it was pretty.

by Anonymousreply 402May 21, 2019 9:27 AM

[quote] Tom Eplin's cock doesn't get the love on here that other pendulous dongs do.

Nor Stephen Schnetzer's, and I bet his was and is magnificent.

by Anonymousreply 403May 21, 2019 9:27 AM

I’d love me some Schnetzer Schnitzel.

by Anonymousreply 404May 21, 2019 9:42 PM

P&G fans who watched both shows, could Cass Winthrop and Ross Marler be comparable characters?

by Anonymousreply 405May 21, 2019 9:49 PM

Cass was more of a stud. Ross never had a reputation for being a lothario.

by Anonymousreply 406May 21, 2019 9:53 PM

And that's what I figured. I just figured both worked their way up from shady to respectable.

by Anonymousreply 407May 21, 2019 10:03 PM

[quote] Ross never had a reputation for being a lothario.

Oh, I don't know about that. He did at first, but definitely was domesticated way earlier than Cass.

by Anonymousreply 408May 21, 2019 10:48 PM

Well, Cass was a stud in ways that Ross wasn’t. Cass was something of a gigolo and Ross definitely wasn’t anything like that.

by Anonymousreply 409May 21, 2019 10:57 PM

I would take all of Cass in me quite deeply.

But Ross (at least early Ross) could get it, too.

by Anonymousreply 410May 21, 2019 11:12 PM

Cass was a rare combination & he was nothing like Ross.

I liked Ross a lot but I fucking loved Cass. Cass/Felicia/Wally were just gold. Cass was also that delicious combo of smart, sexy & funny.

by Anonymousreply 411May 21, 2019 11:15 PM

Jake was a great match for Molly, when the character crossed over from AW to ATWT. The only problem was Tom Eplin's weight gain, so very few bedroom scenes. He had a great death scene, though. Lesli Kay put everything into that scene.

by Anonymousreply 412May 22, 2019 12:58 AM

I liked Jake and Molly. Hogan Scheffer can kiss my ass for killing him off.

by Anonymousreply 413May 22, 2019 4:53 PM

Lesli Kay Emmy Reel when she won the Emmy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 414May 22, 2019 4:57 PM

I really liked Molly. A shame they fucked that character up so badly.

I also liked Carly early on. Shame she was so overexposed.

by Anonymousreply 415May 22, 2019 8:34 PM

[quote] Cass was a rare combination & he was nothing like Ross. I liked Ross a lot but I fucking loved Cass. Cass/Felicia/Wally were just gold. Cass was also that delicious combo of smart, sexy & funny.

This is a classic and great scenes where Cass meets up with Kathleen (4 years after she faked her death). I think if he was nominated for an Emmy that year, he could have won. These scenes are just so good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 416May 23, 2019 2:13 AM

I look fabulous for being in jail!

by Anonymousreply 417May 23, 2019 3:31 PM

GL has been mentioned several times in the 1980 GH thread that popped up, and someone is itching to talk about the SLUT of SPRINGFIELD!

by Anonymousreply 418May 23, 2019 5:38 PM

Link, please r418

by Anonymousreply 419May 23, 2019 9:57 PM

Not a P&G show but a rare time I've seen George Reinholt and Jackie Courtney on a OLTL clip.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 420May 23, 2019 10:06 PM

GL was the most impressive show when it was good, it was great. I don't think any other show matched its quality when it was at its peak which happened intermittently through the years.

The character of Beth had one of the most interesting Arcs of any character in daytime history- the historic rape storyline/four musketeers/ 2 huge supercouples/back from the dead/comeback as a villian (ill-conceived but added to the color of the character), and how the character held on to the end of the show. Epic.

by Anonymousreply 421May 24, 2019 1:36 AM

The Slut of Springfield is legendary. That scene truly stunned many viewers who scoff at soap opera acting. GL has always been known for its superior acting but Kim Zimmer's SOS scene really did send jaws dropping.

by Anonymousreply 422May 24, 2019 2:38 AM

We've poked fun at some of the later years excesses of Kim and Reva here....but this WAS pretty damn flawless.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 423May 24, 2019 3:01 AM

r423 DAMN. Really is a stunning scene. It is no wonder this scene was instantly legendary. This really was one of those moments where soaps looked like they were more than amateur hour. Rumor is the entire entertainment industry took notice.

by Anonymousreply 424May 24, 2019 3:20 AM

Kim was amazing in the SOS scene but the entire story leading up to it & the fall out was just must see TV.

Two people wildly & passionately in love yet she wound up married to his father. He's embittered by losing her & crippled by an accident . His father moves him in to the house to help take care of him. The anger & pent up sexual heat inside that house was off the chain.

by Anonymousreply 425May 24, 2019 12:54 PM

It was all very Tennessee Williams.

Reva's childhood poverty was woven into that story.

by Anonymousreply 426May 24, 2019 1:04 PM

R426

Who was the HW at the time? Pam Long?

by Anonymousreply 427May 24, 2019 1:30 PM

Pam Long was the headwriter when the Slut of Springfield speech was written. She left at the end of 1985 and then returned to the show in 1987, staying until the end of 1990

by Anonymousreply 428May 24, 2019 8:09 PM

R416

Schnetzer (sp?) was really good in that clip. I loved him with Kathleen & Frankie. I remember being so torn because I wanted him with both.

I can't remember why Kathleen stayed away. IIRC she did it to protect him . Can someone refresh my memory on her death, where she was those 4 years & why she stayed away?

by Anonymousreply 429May 24, 2019 8:20 PM

R429 she was in the witness protection program, but felt it wasn't fair to Cass to drag him into the program. So she faked her own death to free Cass so he could have his own life.

by Anonymousreply 430May 24, 2019 8:22 PM

Why was she in the Witness Protection program?

by Anonymousreply 431May 24, 2019 8:28 PM

it was a story she was writing about crimes of Carl Hutchins, and she later found out there was a hit on her.

by Anonymousreply 432May 24, 2019 8:29 PM

Holy FUCK that Kim Zimmer slut of Springfield scene is great. I didn't know they used the term slut back then and especially not in daytime programming.

by Anonymousreply 433May 24, 2019 10:09 PM

I wish that clip of the Slut of Springfield scene was longer. The fight that lead to it & then the follow up.

by Anonymousreply 434May 24, 2019 10:52 PM

The performances in the SOS scene along with the dialogue is mesmerizing. The actor looks like he is a bit stunned at the performance he is watching. My mom talked about how she had a lot of friends over and watching the Daytime Emmys when they did a tribute to GL and showed this clip. None of her friends watched CBS soaps, and all were chatting during the GL tribute, but she said once that clip played it was all dead silence followed by a few mouths open. She said they all commented with a lot of "wows" and "oh my God". She converted a few over to GL.

by Anonymousreply 435May 24, 2019 10:57 PM

That SOS scene got me to thinking. If you had to show one scene from each soap to a non-soap watcher which would you show? I'm still mulling that over for ATWT, and have narrowed it down to five scenes.

by Anonymousreply 436May 25, 2019 12:31 AM

r436:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 437May 25, 2019 12:36 AM

Great choice R436 . Another would be the scene where Bob Hughes tells Kim he had an affair with Susan Stewart. Kathryn Hays just nailed that scene.

by Anonymousreply 438May 25, 2019 12:41 AM

Did they ever say who Iva's parents were?

by Anonymousreply 439May 25, 2019 12:47 AM

R439, I think Jarrod Carpenter. Not sure about the mother.

by Anonymousreply 440May 25, 2019 1:04 AM

[quote] That SOS scene got me to thinking. If you had to show one scene from each soap to a non-soap watcher which would you show? I'm still mulling that over for ATWT, and have narrowed it down to five scenes.

I don't know if you were also a GL watcher but your mention of this, and R435's post, reminded me that in 1987, GL had a week where they celebrated their anniversary and played a clip of the most remembered scenes in GL's history for a few minutes at the end of each show.

The Reva in the fountain scene was one. Nola and Kelly's confrontation was another. (Lisa Brown was part of that scene and the Lily reveal too.) Roger falling off the cliff was one, Bert Bauer was one, and the fifth had something to do with Rick and Phillip, if I remember c correctly.

It would be a nice way to highlight a show to someone who wasn't familiar.

by Anonymousreply 441May 25, 2019 1:41 AM

Anyway, if I had to pick out those kinds of scenes for ATWT I'd have to narrow it down from this list:

Lily's parental reveal

Douglas Cummings revelation (that he was Kim's stalker)

Sabrina comes face to face with Frannie and her family

Margo pulls the plug on Casey

"Hello, Barbara"

Margo's rape

Lucinda and John elope

Hank Eliot comes out

by Anonymousreply 442May 25, 2019 1:43 AM

One actress who WAS NOT a fan of Pam Long was Maeve Kinkead - Both times Pam Long wrote the show, the character of Vanessa was shoved into the background and had absolutely nothing to do.

by Anonymousreply 443May 25, 2019 1:45 AM

R443 True. And I loved Pam's work for the most part. But Pam really, really did NOT get Vanessa. AT. ALL.

I think when she created Alexandra, a lot of the story ideas for that type of character went to Alex. Maeve must have had a defender at CBS or the network, because she stayed on for a long time. It was only after Nancy Curlee became HW and they gave Vanessa the sexual harassment story that things changed.

But sadly I don't think anyone ever really did Vanessa as well as Douglas Marland. She was far more like Donna Love and just had that fabulous wit, and that really all but disappeared once Douglas did. She was rarely able to show that petty, tempetuous side again.

by Anonymousreply 444May 25, 2019 1:50 AM

One thing I should note is that while Kim rocked the SOS scene, she's well supported by Robert Newman. They really did have excellent chemistry.

by Anonymousreply 445May 25, 2019 2:39 AM

I've always heard when GL got it, it was at such a high quality. The SOS scene is special, a real tour de force in all aspects. The Beth/ Step-father story which led into the Four Muskateers was something so well done many daytime haters would change their minds watching this.

I can see why Kim Z got her reputation as a great actress with the SOS scene. The acting was so good it could have won a Nighttime Emmy or Oscar. No joke.

by Anonymousreply 446May 25, 2019 3:49 AM

Another World must see scenes:

Rachel tells Alice she is pregnant with Steve Frame's child.

Mary Matthews surprise death on Good Friday 1975.

Iris learns she is "adopted" when Amanda is born.

Janice Frame attacks Rachel as she is trying to save Mac.

Mac learns that the father of Rachel's baby is Mitch Blake on the witness stand.

Mac learns Iris was the chief in charge of the Cory Publishing takeover.

About any scene the week of Mac's death played out- especially Rachel telling Iris that "Daddy" died- Carmen Duncan was excellent in these scenes but think of what they could have been like with Beverlee McKinsey in the scenes, Rachel's good bye at Mac's grave, and Rachel's conversation with Ada after the funeral.

Vicky/Marley scenes during the Who Shot Jake story- Anne Heche was so good you thought you were watching two different actresses playing Vicky and Marley.

Felicia's intervention with her family and friends.

Carl and Vicky's good bye to Ryan when he died in the hospital.

by Anonymousreply 447May 25, 2019 8:52 AM

And: Iris yelling "Daddy!"

Rachel: "We had the kind of love you'll never know!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 448May 25, 2019 12:32 PM

AW - nothing with that gawd awful Bev and her annoying voice and delivery. Just no.

by Anonymousreply 449May 25, 2019 1:16 PM

R442 The Douglas Cummings storyline was the one time I was truly into As the World Turns and watched every day. Guilia Pagano was intensely brilliant as Marsha Talbot, his assistant who ended up being his killer. she had such a wonderful theatrical voice that watching her was like seeing a Broadway play every time she was on. Caroline Lagerfeldt was also very good as Marsha's cousin, a witness in the trial where the ga was played by Norman Parker who strangled her character on The Edge of Night just several years before. Later n, she played Sarah and Megan's mother on One Life to Live (although she adopted Megan).

I remember also seeing Giulia Pagano on One Life to Live as a bag lady in the Ursula Blackwell storyline involving Tina. her character had a young daughter and helps hide Gina from people who were looking for her. She also played a psychiatrist on all my children and I also remember her as a nurse on an episode of Ryan's Hope.

by Anonymousreply 450May 25, 2019 6:10 PM

Some fantastic Rachel flashbacks in this episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 451May 26, 2019 1:53 AM

Ole Johnny D is in a new Broadway play.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 452May 26, 2019 3:51 PM

That SOS scene from GL is all kinds of great

by Anonymousreply 453May 26, 2019 5:10 PM

Can't Muriel block R449?

This bitch posts every seven seconds and ruins every thread she's in. STFU already.

by Anonymousreply 454May 26, 2019 5:29 PM

The new Digest has a lovely, lovely photo of Kelly Nelson in his Speedo.......

by Anonymousreply 455May 27, 2019 10:02 PM

Val Dufour (RIP) told me that when they did a scene of him driving in thundering rains on a mountain, it was shot in a car wash on Houston Street. Later demolished for an office building,

by Anonymousreply 456May 27, 2019 11:50 PM

Val Dufor gave great blowjobs.

by Anonymousreply 457May 28, 2019 1:12 AM

Marlon Brando would agree.

by Anonymousreply 458May 28, 2019 1:17 AM

Val Dufour is STILL looking for Lenore's fucking scarf......

by Anonymousreply 459May 28, 2019 2:18 AM

To give credit where credit is due, Pete Rich was the script writer on the SOS scenes.

by Anonymousreply 460May 28, 2019 8:50 PM

Ah, thanks R460!

Found this article. He had a thing about Southern Gothic and wrote a book with that narrative voice so I can see him totally writing the SOS script.

He's apparently got a younger husband (!) and, well, y'all can "tasteful friends" this if you want.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 461May 28, 2019 8:55 PM

[quote] He's apparently got a younger husband (!) and, well, y'all can "tasteful friends" this if you want.....

His LOVER lip-synching "Blurred Lines"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 462May 28, 2019 9:02 PM

I wonder if Pete is known as The Letch of Litchfield.

by Anonymousreply 463May 28, 2019 9:17 PM

Pam Long is missed.

by Anonymousreply 464May 28, 2019 9:54 PM

Hes got a cute little trophy wife, R462

by Anonymousreply 465May 28, 2019 10:55 PM

R461

Thanks for bringing that over. It's good to put a face to the person who write so many phenomenal scenes.

I love the property his home sits on but I'm not a fan of the decor or house.

by Anonymousreply 466May 28, 2019 11:38 PM

GL did have some good writers over the years.

by Anonymousreply 467May 28, 2019 11:58 PM

GL seemed to have the best actors by far. GL also seemed to have been the best written show, along with Another World for a time, going by what others have told me. I know a lot of viewers who liked one show over another but they always mocked the acting or most of the writing but not with GL. The stuff I've seen on youtube is often pretty remarkable. Is it true a lot of GL's footage was erased up until the late 70's?

From what I have seen, Kim Zimmer could be a bit much but when she was on, she was ON. I've never seen a better crier.

by Anonymousreply 468May 29, 2019 12:10 AM

R468 With few exceptions, most of the P&G shows erased all their stuff before the 1978-1980 range. They've saved a lot since then.

On YouTube, the three main shows - AW, ATWT and GL - have limited clips prior to the 80s. ATWT has a solid run of late 70s/early 80s, GL is sort of intermittent until around 80, and AW has a run of eps as early as 1978, but only a few here and there before that.

by Anonymousreply 469May 29, 2019 12:14 AM

There needs to be a channel to play all the soaps different time slots could have different decades. I don't know how it would work but I really would like to watch GL based on what I have heard. I did watch it from 97 ish on and off to the end. I enjoyed some of it but, as others have shared, the quality was nothing like it was back in the day. The acting was still top notch, though.

by Anonymousreply 470May 29, 2019 12:47 AM

One day several decades ago I was flipping channels and I saw Frank Dicopolous on GL in a sleeveless shirt and tight jeans. I was hooked.

by Anonymousreply 471May 29, 2019 12:50 AM

Frank was humpy back in the day.

He never could actually act worth a tinker's fart but he was handsome, and by all accounts a very nice guy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 472May 29, 2019 2:30 AM

r470 The possibility of starting a soap channel devoted to old episodes of class soaps was discussed at some length recently in the Hope Memorial: The Doctors thread linked below.

The old soap discussion starts at reply 30 and then periodically pops up throughout the rest of the thread (which is still active). Lots of good info in that thread. Feel free to contribute your thoughts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 473May 29, 2019 6:53 AM

I never saw this before and now I am crying......I know......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 474May 29, 2019 3:14 PM

r473 Thank you!

Is there a youtube clip of Beth being kidnapped by Professor Blackburn which was the original Beth's last scene? I have looked and cannot find it. There are scenes right before and right after but none of her actually being taken.

by Anonymousreply 475May 29, 2019 3:58 PM

Wow. Marland would have been 85 this month had he lived.

Wonder if he would have been able to prolong the life of one or more of the shows.

Certainly, ATWT ran on the fumes of his brilliance until it sputtered and died.

by Anonymousreply 476May 31, 2019 1:49 PM

I wish I could find the interview, but I remember Colleen Zenk relating how she took one of Marland's EPs (Bob Calhoun or Laurence Caso) to some function and introduced him to the actress playing Bonnie and described a little of her story and the EP said to CZ how that was not at all what Doug had planned for Bonnie.

So if Doug were still alive, I truly believe he would still be writing that show.

by Anonymousreply 477June 1, 2019 3:34 AM

speaking of Colleen Zenk, Does anyone remember her telling a story(I'm assuming in SOD) about her meeting Bob Fosse and auditioning for him? I would love to read that story again

by Anonymousreply 478June 1, 2019 10:03 PM

"She once turned down famed choreographer Bob Fosse's offer of a major role in Pippin, hoping he would change his mind about giving her a part in Chicago; he didn't. 'He said, 'Kid, you're not dirty enough yet.'"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 479June 1, 2019 11:23 PM

She would have made the definitive Go To Hell Kitty.

by Anonymousreply 480June 1, 2019 11:30 PM

r479

thank you!

by Anonymousreply 481June 1, 2019 11:31 PM

Bob Fosse would have been all over the young Colleen. I bet she has a story to tell there r479.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 482June 2, 2019 12:27 AM

You bitches missed the real lede - that Kathy Hays did Follies! (A regional theater Follies, but one that was apparently filmed!)

by Anonymousreply 483June 2, 2019 12:30 AM

OMG that L'eggs commercial is fabulous.

Colleen was an amazing dancer. A very close friend of hers started a dance company in Chicago and was very well known in the dance world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 484June 2, 2019 12:33 AM

New photos of Kathryn Hays.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 485June 2, 2019 11:18 PM

Oh my......She looks like herself but she's way too thin.. I wonder if she's been ill because she's seriously underweight.

by Anonymousreply 486June 2, 2019 11:33 PM

Beth Chamberlain (Beth Raines #2) got more and more gorgeous as she aged. Last I saw of her, she still looked fantastic. She got into some fitness business and I remember her body being flawless on GL. She put actresses younger than her to shame. Both Hayden Panettierre and Brittany Snow played her daughters.

by Anonymousreply 487June 2, 2019 11:55 PM

Oh, that picture of Kathryn Hays makes me wanna cry.

I feel like we should find her address and send her some letters letting her know she is still remembered!

by Anonymousreply 488June 3, 2019 12:00 AM

R487, Brittany Snow played Harley/Beth Ehlers’ daughter.

by Anonymousreply 489June 3, 2019 12:20 AM

I want to know if Kathy Hays called that lady 'kiddo'.

by Anonymousreply 490June 3, 2019 1:02 AM

Kathy Hays looks like she’s had a stroke. But she looks good for 108.

by Anonymousreply 491June 3, 2019 10:15 AM

Kathy, like many of the ATWT vets, turns 85 this year.

by Anonymousreply 492June 3, 2019 11:25 AM

Patricia Bruder, two years ago, looking exactly like I'd expect her to. She has aged really well. I've been watching some old clips (Dan and David's deaths, a few other miscellaneous clips here and there.) One YouTube viewer wrote about meeting her on the MTA in New York a few years ago and saying how flattered she was in being recognized. She sort of reminds me of Jane Powell who played Lisa during two of Eileen's absences.

I must admit that I did a jaw drop at the picture of Kathryn Hays. A lot can change in a decade, and I hope she's ok.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 493June 3, 2019 12:56 PM

A post transferred over from the Doctors thread.....Lisa and Bob

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 494June 3, 2019 2:38 PM

Crying after watching R494

It's schmaltzy but seeing Ben Hendrickson.....tears

by Anonymousreply 495June 3, 2019 2:41 PM

Ben H had an awful wig. Jeez.

by Anonymousreply 496June 3, 2019 3:42 PM

r489 She was Beth Raines' stepdaughter as well.

by Anonymousreply 497June 3, 2019 7:06 PM

Harley/Beth Ehlers was atrocious. How could she have been in any romantic relationship. Shrill and ugly features. That actress got lucky.

by Anonymousreply 498June 3, 2019 7:07 PM

R498 Whaat? She was great. Attractive, not a knockout but you could totally see why the guys loved her.

She was Reva Jr. in a lot of ways.

by Anonymousreply 499June 3, 2019 8:01 PM

r499 Are you serious? Not attractive in the least. She looked like a bow legged witch. And fucking shrill. Yet, she attractive a loony tunes fan base. I guess they saw her as the ugly girl who got the hot guys but her pairings rarely made sense. Kim Zimmer was a knock out when she was younger. Beth Ehlers? Not even remotely close.

by Anonymousreply 500June 3, 2019 8:32 PM

Did Kathy Hays ever plug up the toilet? Or was that Fulton only?

by Anonymousreply 501June 3, 2019 9:02 PM

Did somebody seriously compare Beth Ehlers to Kim Zimmer... what are you, brain dead?

by Anonymousreply 502June 4, 2019 12:54 AM

Beth Ehlers may have a trick pelvis off camera but she was never a big draw for me on screen.

by Anonymousreply 503June 4, 2019 1:15 AM

Harley was always one of my favorites. Although apparently Beth Ehlers wasn't a ray of sunshine offscreen.

As Kim said in her book (notes are mine below):

[quote] Most of the people I have chosen to single out in my book have been salt-of-the-earth individuals. But let’s face it: Not everyone I worked with over the years fits that description. A soap opera cast is like a family. And, as with all families, there will be an occasional troublemaker, black sheep, or outcast who doesn’t last that long before being exiled—and in the case of a soap actor, that means the unemployment line. There was one actress (note: rumored to be BE) who fell in love with all of her costars. Really. She seriously fell hook, line, and sinker on several occasions. (note: supposedly even a female costar!) And the actors who were the objects of her affection were all too happy to oblige. She fell in love with one costar (note: supposedly Mark Derwin) while she was still married, eventually divorced her husband, and moved in with the costar. For whatever reasons, that relationship didn’t last. Her next conquest was another costar (note: Rob Bogue - who, ironically, played Mallet as Mark Derwin had) who was married—as was she, having gotten married . . . again . . . but this time to someone outside the business. She ended up leaving her husband for this guy; the two actors had decided they were both going to get out of their relationships so they could be together. Unfortunately for her, he got cold feet and never left his wife. For the first time since I knew her, she was suddenly neither married nor involved. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned!

by Anonymousreply 504June 4, 2019 1:47 AM

I could only take Harley in small doses in the youtube clips Iv'e seen. And she is not a looker by any means.

r502 Apparently. The character nor the actress was any near the ballpark of Kim/Reva

r504 I wonder who the female actress was? THAT is juicy. Didn't Kim also hint she was a dark presence on the set? And everyone was glad when she left? What did she say about Michelle Forbes?

GL ruined so many characters. Beth Raines being the worst character assassination (well behind Alexandra). Went from an incest rape survivor who stood up to her abusive rapist, came back from the dead, left town with her soulmate then came back a neurotic nut. What a slap in the face to the legacy of her character (one of the few in daytime to be part of 2 major supercouples) and fans. They redeemed her at the very end, though.

by Anonymousreply 505June 4, 2019 4:39 AM

R505

Where have you been? The female she had a fling with was Watros.

by Anonymousreply 506June 4, 2019 12:51 PM

R505 I thought Beth's path was an interesting one, kind of like Barbara Ryan at ATWT.

I would have been okay with most of it UNTIL she got together with Alan. That just would, and should, have never, ever, ever happened.

by Anonymousreply 507June 4, 2019 2:49 PM

Rob Bogue was quite popular on set. He has a big dick and word got out fast. (Seriously, costume crew lives for this shit and the first time one of them sees it, it's all around the building by the next day.)

When Rob didn't leave his wife for Beth things got weird. They took Mallet completely out of story with Harley at that point. Then when his marriage did fall apart, he hooked up with Mandy Bruno (Marina) - now his wife - and I think Beth and Mandy, who had been friendly before, got into some scuffles.

by Anonymousreply 508June 4, 2019 2:56 PM

I always wished Judi Evans had gone back to GL after Another World had ended. She did such wonderful work on that show and really grew into this actress of great substance and feeling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 509June 4, 2019 3:45 PM

r509 It would have been interesting if she had returned but I'm not sure the writing was there for Beth at the time. They were hell bent on making her the villian. That would have been fine had they had written some type of motive down the line. They took a legacy character, one with a shit ton of history, a character that was once beloved, who had gone through hell and back, and reduced her to a jealous wife. Beth was never the jealous type. When she was cheated on, she moved on. It was always ever man after HER, not the other way around. Which again, with better writing, they could have explained it better and truly given her depth. They didn't until later on when it was too late. I loved her affair with Coop. Many hated it but it made sense. Coop was just like Phillip in a lot of ways and unlike Phillip, wouldn't have hurt her.

And agree about the Alan thing. That was a bridge waaaay too far for that character. There is a video of Vincent Irizarry (Lujack) way after he left the show as Nick, saying how disgusted he was at the character assassination of Beth. He said it broke his heart.

WATROS! I do think I remember hearing that. Watros is way too hot for Elhers. Elhers must've had a magical pussy to get the dick she got. She was a fucking mess behind the scenes. No wonder Zimmer said she was such dark energy. I see she isn't working anymore. No surprise.

by Anonymousreply 510June 4, 2019 5:23 PM

I still can't understand why Beth, the character, never met Nick. Or that we never saw Phillip and Nick interacting.

by Anonymousreply 511June 4, 2019 5:31 PM

r511 Talk about a missed opportunity! It is almost unbelievable they never met, nor did we ever hear her speak about this look alike to her other soulmate who died in her arms.

Apparently, they were actually going to bring Lujack back. His death would be explained by the organization that kidnapped Beth slipped him a drug to slow his heartbeat to the point it looked like it stopped. He was imprisoned away. He, at one point, found out Beth and his mother were dead (both presumed dead at the same time in 1989) and once he escaped, he never returned to town due to heartbreak. Then, he sees his mother in a newspaper somewhere and returns to town only to first run into Beth, who he still thinks is dead. She, of course, thinks he is Nick. It would have been epic.

by Anonymousreply 512June 4, 2019 5:36 PM

Speaking of dark energy don't forget how Ehlers through her ego around at AMC and belittled the disfigured veteran who joined the show (his name escapes me). She through a fit when AMC wanted to put them together. She was a raging entitled cunt to him. AMC cut her early due to her bad behavior.

by Anonymousreply 513June 4, 2019 5:46 PM

How can we discuss the writing for Beth Raines and not discuss the horrific Lorelei.

Good Lord in the morning!

by Anonymousreply 514June 4, 2019 5:49 PM

r514 It was stupid but I enjoyed Lorelei and it was an opportunity for them to explain Beth's odd behavior since she returned to town with little Hayden Panetteire. I thought they were when Beth had to be the dominant personality over Lorelei and integrate them so she could be Beth again. Then they dropped it (I'm sure another writer change) and missed that opportunity.

by Anonymousreply 515June 4, 2019 5:54 PM

Ehlers behavior spiraled once she left GL and joined AMC. I couldn't believe the way she reportedly treated that wounded war vet. What a class A bitch. Home wrecking hussy.

by Anonymousreply 516June 4, 2019 6:14 PM

I sort of liked part of the Lorelai story, because it actually incorporated part of the whole Beth was molested story, etc.

But yes, the writer changes came along and just threw it into chaos.

I don't know if Kreizman was writing then but it reminded me of his work - splashy at the beginning but petering out into nothingness at the end.

by Anonymousreply 517June 4, 2019 6:39 PM

There was so much they could have done with Beth. Phillip was always obsessed with her. It really was not healthy. When he went crazy, they could have incorporating that into the story. Also, with Nick around, if they could have convinced VI to return, that would have opened up a whole lot of story. In short, they really had a legacy character with such a rich history, iconic history, and they never came close to capitalizing on it. That is really such a shame. To me, the writing of Beth Raines was everything wrong with GL and how it was written in general.

by Anonymousreply 518June 4, 2019 9:59 PM

Looking back on 1995 episodes of ATWT, the way Toni Leslie James dressed Eileen Fulton explains Fulton’s bowel issues. Lisa always looked bloated, like she ate too much chinese food the night before with all the msg and salt. No wonder the toulets were plugged up. Toni Leslie James, you had quite a dilemma dressing the bloated actress.

by Anonymousreply 519June 6, 2019 8:01 AM

Remember J (no dot) Chamberlain? He has a new Toyota ad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 520June 7, 2019 1:30 AM

r520 Yum!

by Anonymousreply 521June 7, 2019 5:01 AM

The original J has now gone silver.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 522June 7, 2019 11:00 PM

On June 1 12 years ago, the pendulous Jake S arrived in Oakdale.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 523June 8, 2019 12:09 AM

Pilgrim looks a lot like David Duchovny in recent pictures.

by Anonymousreply 524June 8, 2019 12:25 AM

I couldn't believe how 70s his hair was when he was cast - but it was clear he was about 10 years too old for the part of J. I think they tried to find someone that looked a bit like Michael Tylo and Lisa Brown, but ultimately they picked Ethan Erickson, who looked nothing like either.

By then someone at GL had some sort of dark haired stud/Guido fetish, because Frank Grillo came on the scene.

by Anonymousreply 525June 8, 2019 12:29 AM

Frank Grillo is hot asf.

by Anonymousreply 526June 8, 2019 12:42 AM

He has grown into his looks, but he was just squicky when he was on GL.

by Anonymousreply 527June 8, 2019 12:43 AM

I thought he was hot then and now. Really aged well.

by Anonymousreply 528June 8, 2019 12:47 AM

R522

That's Quint & Nola's kid??? I feel incredibly old.

by Anonymousreply 529June 8, 2019 12:51 AM

Van H (Luke) and Jake S (Noah) are appearing with other daytime stars at a Pride event in DC on the 29th. The other actors are from GH, DOOL and Y&R.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 530June 8, 2019 4:57 AM

What about Olivia and Natalia?

by Anonymousreply 531June 8, 2019 4:59 AM

Well Van’s career certainly went nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 532June 8, 2019 5:18 AM

Was it expected to, r532 ?

Is he gay IRL?

by Anonymousreply 533June 8, 2019 4:39 PM

Van gave an interview to Out Magazine after first getting on ATWT and he lied and said that he’s straight! No one believed him. lololololololol Van straight? Yeahright.

by Anonymousreply 534June 8, 2019 4:58 PM

Has it been confirmed that he isn't straight? He screams gay to me.

by Anonymousreply 535June 8, 2019 6:10 PM

R535

Yes. He had/has a long term boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 536June 8, 2019 6:45 PM

A friend of mine insists that Van kissed 3 guys while on ATWT. I know Noah and the snarky doctor. Who was the third?

by Anonymousreply 537June 9, 2019 1:20 AM

R529 They cast him as incredibly old. Both times.

So don't feel so bad.

by Anonymousreply 538June 9, 2019 1:23 AM

R537 Laurence Lau from All My Children

by Anonymousreply 539June 9, 2019 1:24 AM

Who hear would fuck Van? Is he a bottom or top? Was he a bottom or top, in character of course, with Noah?

Why did Kim Zimmer have a problem with her son playing the character? Was it really because the character was going to be gay? La Zimmer seems like she would be the world's most fun fag hag so I would be shocked though I heard, at one point, she was a Republican.

by Anonymousreply 540June 9, 2019 7:34 PM

So, what kept GL competitive for much of its run? Especially later on when it ran up against a red hot GH? I am surprised GL not only held its own but briefly hit #1 in the summer of '84.

I was too young to know why GL stayed competitive for as long as it did while so many other shows died out by the 80's.

In talking to my mom and aunt plus some others, I was told -it always had a special quality to it few, if any, other shows had. The acting and writing were usually top notch. It had good villains/heroines. that, although he grew to be a bit much, it got lucky in the 80's to have a genuine star in La Zimmer.

by Anonymousreply 541June 9, 2019 9:43 PM

^^^she grew a bit much---sorry La Zimmer

by Anonymousreply 542June 9, 2019 9:44 PM

R540 Varying stories have come out about it, but if Kim interceded, I think she was worried that Jake playing Luke coming out as his first role would typecast him. Jake may have also been uncomfortable at that time, as he was still in high school.

I don't think Kim, herself, had any sort of issue with the content, beyond the fact that a 15 or 16 year old kid and a newbie might not have been able to handle the weight of that story.

The great irony, of course, is that now, a decade or so later, Jake Weary is a contract actor on TNT's Animal Kingdom, playing Ellen Barkin and Denis Leary's son.....a gay man!

by Anonymousreply 543June 9, 2019 9:49 PM

r543 I did not know that!

by Anonymousreply 544June 9, 2019 9:52 PM

Mental illness at its peak.

[quote] Grant’s peen touched the water when he sat down to shit.

[quote] Liz Matthews had a great snatch!

[quote] Gil Hobson ate out my pussy.

[quote] Did Kathy Hays ever plug up the toilet? Or was that Fulton only?

[quote] With so many lezzies on AW, who’s snatch did Geri Court eat out? Connie Ford?

This poster desperately needs involuntary inpatient institutionalization. They are off their fucking rocker. And apparently as fascinated with toilet functions and genitalia as a five year old.

by Anonymousreply 545June 9, 2019 9:54 PM

R544

Where you been? He even does nudity too. And for another bit of irony= his character's love interest is played by the actor who played Vicky Hudson & Grant Harrison's son on AW.

Animal Kingdom is a great show.

by Anonymousreply 546June 9, 2019 10:03 PM

r546 I didn't watch soaps except GL and YR growing up. The whole family watched those two- aunts/uncles/cousins both boys and girls/ brother and both sisters. We were a CBS soap fam all the way. Never watched the dreadful BB but did occasionally watch ATWT esp when Luke and Noah were a thing. But I have not heard anything about the actors or their lives.

by Anonymousreply 547June 9, 2019 10:21 PM

Pamela Long created both of the characters of Reva Shayne and Harley Cooper.

by Anonymousreply 548June 9, 2019 10:26 PM

I did not like Harley at all. Not a bit. Reva it was either love love or get off my TV. LOL

by Anonymousreply 549June 9, 2019 10:29 PM

I loved Reva. Seriously loved her. She wasn't pigeon holed like so many women characters. She was a vixen, a shit stirrer, a heroine, a mama bear for anyone in her family, a woman who had many men but only had one true love.

Josh/Reva were true loves who went thru hell but no matter how badly they hurt each other you knew they'd wind up together.

by Anonymousreply 550June 9, 2019 11:22 PM

La Zimmer could chew scenery but also be very understated. She really was one of the best actresses. Watching her act was often a lot of fun. When she was good she was amazing. She really was never bad or even mediocre. She could phone it in but even then, she shit on most others.

Reva was also fun but it was, at times, too much. Then the batshit stories they gave her towards the end. Ugh. I still cannot believe GL went there. After the clone story, it was like ok, it had some deeply emotional moments. But the too stupid for words time traveling story was first reported, I was in deep shock. LOL. They got so much shit for the clone story and then went on to do an even stupider, infuriating story with time travel. Watching it was excruciating. You can't tell me CBS didn't want this canceled.

by Anonymousreply 551June 9, 2019 11:49 PM

Guiding Light and As the World Turns were multi-generational shows, where virtue was rewarded and villains punished, as established by Irna Phillips, Agnes Nixon, Bill Bell, and Ted Corday. They were populated by relatable characters played by relatable actors with stage training. Then differed from the shows in the mold of Portia Faces Life with one or two female protagonists who faced heartache after heartache like Search for Tomorrow or Love of Life. They also differed from the Los Angeles soaps that featured washed up movie actors, pretty people, and glamorous situations like the later Bell/Corday shows or the Nixon shows which focused more on individual characters than multi-generational families. If you liked drawing room drama, well-acted, you watched Another World. If you wanted family drama you watched Guiding Light or As the World Turns. In the 80s GL and ATWT succeeded when they followed their traditional formats, focusing on the Bauers and the Hughes. When they lost their identities and became about individual female protagonists (Reva, Harley, Carly, Katie), they failed.

by Anonymousreply 552June 10, 2019 12:10 AM

I wish Reva had either stayed away or that the show or Kim would have allowed her to mellow and become a supporting player.

The two interesting possibilities for Reva near the end were Josh wanting to go into ministry and Reva having cancer.

I liked the idea of Josh exploring that, but it was dumber than dumb that he would have been with Cassie at that point. Had Reva been his wife, there would have been a whole story where Reva would have explored her own shame about her younger days, and what people thought about her, etc. Would she be good enough to be a minister's wife?

And as for the cancer thing, the focus should have been: How does a woman who has always lived by her looks, who was sex on a stick, deal with it when her stock in trade is taken away?

Instead, it was: let me lie to Josh and Cassie about this and almost die in the process. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

by Anonymousreply 553June 10, 2019 12:52 AM

Years ago, when Laurence Lau was on AMC, I heard he was often seen in gay bars. I figured that was just wishful thinking, but after his smooch with Van Hansis on ATWT, I'm not sure. Is he or isn't he?

by Anonymousreply 554June 10, 2019 1:04 AM

R553

One of her best storylines toward the end was Reva going thru menopause & facing the fact that she was no longer the woman who made every man head's turn. Zimmer/Newman's scenes where Reva tells him all this was stellar. Beautifully written & brilliantly played. Very subtle painful scenes of Reva telling him the marriage is over.

I knew the day I watched those scenes that Zimmer would win another Emmy and she did.

by Anonymousreply 555June 10, 2019 1:35 AM

So that is why the NY shows, esp GL, had better acting. They were theater trained for the most part.

So, I didn't know this until recently, but GL was completely overlooked at the Emmys for so long esp acting. It was the Judi Luciano who played Beth who won GL's first acting Emmy all the way until 1984. That is just crazy. Were they hostile towards the show?

by Anonymousreply 556June 10, 2019 1:53 AM

Here's her Emmy reel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 557June 10, 2019 2:00 AM

Anyone remember that Emmys opening where a gal came onstage and sang something about how exciting it was to be there. I think the performer was Mary Cadorette. The song was sweet (I think it was called “Can You Imagine”) and one of the lyrics mentioned Kim Zimmer.

by Anonymousreply 558June 10, 2019 2:20 AM

It is a shame soaps have died out. What remains are poor imitations of themselves. I've tried to peek in at a few and they are awful. It is only a matter of a few years before they are all gone.

I think they should have put GL/ATWT to 30 minutes before canceling them. But we all know CBS and whoever owned the shows wanted them gone.

by Anonymousreply 559June 10, 2019 3:35 AM

I'm re-visiting the Kim Hunter/Nola Madison/Mansions of the Damned story on "The Edge of Night" for which she received an Emmy nomination. I recall this being considered a big event at the time even though, as an Oscar winning actress and well beloved for "Planet of the Apes", she wasn't what you would call a huge star. According to the IMDb, she had a brief guest appearance on "As the World Turns" in her later years. I know she had a cameo on "All My Children" several years before that. "Edge" transitioned from the end of that storyline right into the Emily DeGault/Draper story very smoothly, making them nice companion pieces in the best years of "EON's" ABC run.

by Anonymousreply 560June 10, 2019 2:52 PM

YES.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 561June 10, 2019 4:15 PM

Oops, wrong thread, sorry!

But I do want Mueller to get a kick in the cunt.

by Anonymousreply 562June 10, 2019 4:17 PM

[quote] So, I didn't know this until recently, but GL was completely overlooked at the Emmys for so long esp acting.

Another World and the ABC shows really dominated the Emmys in the 70s and early 80s. It took until the mid 80s for the nominations to rotate at least a bit among ATWT and GL.

by Anonymousreply 563June 11, 2019 2:50 AM

r563 Why? It seems ATWT and GL were both quality in every way. ABC shows were seen as a joke. AW, though, I heard was high quality for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 564June 11, 2019 2:53 AM

Because GL and ATWT were really kinda sleepy and milquetoast through a lot of the 70s. Entertaining, but seen as sort of square.

by Anonymousreply 565June 11, 2019 11:36 AM

ABC dominated the Emmys from 1980-83 or so. There was one ceremony where ABC won all of the major awards. I believe it was so bad that NBC boycotted the ceremonies for a year or two, it was so lopsided.

by Anonymousreply 566June 11, 2019 2:04 PM

I didn't start watching "Another World" live until 1983, having lost interest in "One Life to Live" after the Echo Di Savoy story began. Long time "AW" fans said that "AW" started to go downhill after Iris left for "Texas" and never recovered. Compared to what I was viewing on "ATWT" and "OLTL" at the time (their competitors), "AW" was still like live theater even with different writers. When all the old episodes started popping up of the golden age, I binge watched and indeed, that time up through the end of the Janice/Mac/Rachel story was brilliant.

There is a scene of Jim Matthews visiting Liz late at night to tell her of John Randolph's death, and in her one scene in that 90 minute episode, Irene Dailey showed so much depth: her loneliness, her obsessive love for her family, and her willingness and desire to be there anytime when they needed her. I believe this was the year that Irene won the Daytime Emmy, and if you can ever get to know one character in just a period of a few minutes that reveals every depth of their soul, Irene exploded with that revelation. Harding Lemay said that Constance Ford needed few words to express what Ada needed to say, and the same exact thing could be said about Irene as Liz.

Liz's big scene is at the 50 minute mark.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 567June 11, 2019 2:32 PM

Did Connie and Irene eat each other out often?

by Anonymousreply 568June 11, 2019 4:02 PM

Weren't the Emmy's all about square? GL had Roger raping Holly and all of that. It hardly seemed square, though. It seems there was some very funny business going on with the Emmy's. GL did win Best Show in 80 and 81.

by Anonymousreply 569June 11, 2019 4:22 PM

R567

La Bev looks so pretty in those clips.

by Anonymousreply 570June 11, 2019 7:25 PM

That clip at R567 is amazing, and the music is beautiful.

But you can tell they were filling the scenes with exposition and dialogue. 90 minutes was just too long. Once in a while, maybe.

by Anonymousreply 571June 12, 2019 12:53 AM

Ann Flood was top billed on Edge of Night for over 20 years

Edge of Night

Starring

Ann Flood

As

Nancy Karr

by Anonymousreply 572June 12, 2019 12:56 AM

The original main character of EON was Mike Karr. John Larkin originated the character and Laurence Hugo continued. When Forrest Compton (best known as a recurring character in Gomer Pyle, USMC) took over the role, the character's importance diminished, and his wife , Nancy, and Adam Drake became the focus of the show.

by Anonymousreply 573June 12, 2019 1:17 AM

Soaps were once 90 minutes long? That is way too much.

by Anonymousreply 574June 12, 2019 1:19 AM

R574 Only one, Another World, and only briefly.

All the half hour shows were going to an hour and they thought "Let's try 90 minutes" but it was terrible.

by Anonymousreply 575June 12, 2019 2:06 AM

Holy crap-- Forrest Compton is still alive (and smokin') at the age of 93!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 576June 12, 2019 2:21 AM

R576, wow, usually I can recognize SOMETHING about the actor when they age, but he looks nothing like his younger self.

by Anonymousreply 577June 12, 2019 2:31 AM

While most of "The Edge of Night" actors got picked up by other New York based soaps, Forrest Compton only did a few brief appearances, playing Mac Cory's brother on "Another World" (Ann Flood was in the same episode) and a short term part on "As the World Turns". Ann took two years off from acting, then did "SFT", "AW", "AMC", "OLTL" and "ATWT", briefly on contract as Bitsy (Cecily's mother) on "AMC". A picture of her a few years ago showed her as being still recognizable and quite attractive. She sort of looked like Kathryn Hays here, but as evidenced by pictures of Kathryn earlier in this thread, she doesn't look anything like she did 10 years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 578June 12, 2019 12:20 PM

R573

I was very little so my memory is not that great. I thought Nancy & Adam were paired together on EON.

by Anonymousreply 579June 12, 2019 2:13 PM

I sort of vaguely remember him from EON.

Though I was much more about Charles Grant (or whatever his other last name was) at the time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 580June 12, 2019 2:40 PM

R578 I was just looking at photos for the next P&G thread here and what did I find but.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 581June 12, 2019 2:43 PM

MARY!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 582June 12, 2019 2:44 PM

Some cute stuff on this Tumblr, darlings. I hope you don't mind if I post a few items.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 583June 12, 2019 2:46 PM

Of course, Grant and his pendulousness is holding up the whole structure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 584June 12, 2019 2:48 PM

Oh, my. I remember this. This was one of the reasons I started to buy Digest!

There's a Dusty and a Holden one, but Brian Bloom is way hotter in these shots.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 585June 12, 2019 2:50 PM

Not that Jon Hensley is chopped liver or anything.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 586June 12, 2019 2:50 PM

And Bill Shanks ain't bad, either.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 587June 12, 2019 2:57 PM

So young!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 588June 12, 2019 2:58 PM

Lady Eyes a Buggin, at your service.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 589June 12, 2019 2:58 PM

The ORIGINAL bitch!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 590June 12, 2019 2:59 PM

Helen would cut a bitch, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 591June 12, 2019 3:45 PM

Because Ann Flood got TOP BILLING on Edge of Night, they offered Oscar Winner Kim Hunter the "and" credit at the end of the cast credit crawl

And

Kim Hunter

As

Nola Madison

by Anonymousreply 592June 12, 2019 3:50 PM

Josh, I mean Rod, I mean Josh

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 593June 12, 2019 3:50 PM

Next thread is available now

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 594June 12, 2019 3:53 PM

Suck it

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 595June 12, 2019 3:54 PM

Sucking blood.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 596June 12, 2019 3:54 PM

**sob**

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 597June 12, 2019 3:55 PM

Kathy Hays on the couch

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 598June 12, 2019 3:55 PM

Aw, these two.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 599June 12, 2019 3:56 PM

Remember, next thread is here

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600June 12, 2019 3:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!