Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Goodbye, Columbus (1969)

The recent DL thread on Peter Bogdanovich took some interesting detours, including several posts about this film, which prompted me to revisit it. It had been many years since I’d seen it (and even more since I’d read the book,) but the movie still holds up very well overall. Some highlights:

Richard Benjamin does a wonderful deadpan, and is well-cast as Neil. He and Ali MacGraw have nice chemistry, and the scenes with the little boy in the library were quite moving. He and MacGraw’s fight scene at the hotel was a highlight, even though the cutting back and forth from profile shots looks odd and dated to a current viewer.

It’s not high praise to say it was Ali MacGraw’s best performance, considering some of her onscreen embarrassments, but she does a fine job indeed as Brenda. I know that Lesley Ann Warren was originally cast as Brenda before her pregnancy took her out of the project, and while Warren is a terrific actress, I’m not sure she would have been as effective as MacGraw turned out to be here. She’s natural and charming, and the camera loves her.

Jack Klugman is wonderful as Mr. Patimkin. The wedding sequence received some criticism at the time for indulging in Jewish stereotyping, but it includes Klugman’s best scene, a heart-to-heart with his beloved Brenda that is touching.

I can’t figure out the brother’s character — I know he is supposed to be a polite, sweet-natures doofus ex-jock, but what was all that ass-patting?

I kept thinking that some of the underscoring music sounded very familiar to me, then I realized watching the trailer that it reminded me of “Love American Style” — and no surprise there, Charles Fox did the scores for both “Goodbye, Columbus” and “LAS”. The trailer itself is very bland and not at all memorable, but the classic tag line on the poster was genius: “Every Father’s Daughter is a Virgin”.

What sayeth Datalounge on “Goodbye, Columbus”?

by Anonymousreply 603/14/2019

The theme song was sung by The Association (also known for "Never My Love," "Windy," "Cherish" and "Along Comes Mary").

by Anonymousreply 103/13/2019

Philip Roth liked the film — eventually!

by Anonymousreply 203/14/2019

I don't think it was Ali Magross's best film.

by Anonymousreply 303/14/2019

I find it an embarassing caricature of American Jews. Anti-semetic really.

by Anonymousreply 403/14/2019

Roth was often accused of self-loathing but he was just doing what every second or third generation American does about his or her own immigrant culture.

[quote]The trailer itself is very bland and not at all memorable,

Hooray for understated trailers. I loved trailers in the 60s and 70s, when they really teased you, rather than showing you the readers digest version of the whole movie, or blowing your eyeballs out of their sockets — or both.

This is such a wonderful TV trailer:

by Anonymousreply 503/14/2019

Excellent analysis from a terrific blog!

by Anonymousreply 603/14/2019
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!