Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

NYC Suburbs--why is Long Island so Republican?

Trump won both Nassau and Suffolk counties -- 50% and 56%, respectively. Rockland was the other suburban county (55% but lots of Orthodox Jews)

But Westchester went for Biden with 64% , CT towns- Greenwich (64%), Westport (74%), New Canaan (59%), Darien (61%) -- all for Biden [NYT does not break up CT by county]

And Biden swept NJ too-- Bergen (58%), Essex (77%), Union (73%), Morris (56%) Middlesex (66%) and even Monmouth (50%--Jersey Shore)

I had not realized Long Island was so much more Republican than any of the other suburbs.

by Anonymousreply 173November 23, 2020 2:56 AM

Trash usually votes Republican

by Anonymousreply 1November 6, 2020 11:53 PM

Right--but I had not realized that Long Island was that much trashier than all the other suburban areas

by Anonymousreply 2November 6, 2020 11:55 PM

This was a huge surprise- I’m still trying to digest-figure out-make sense of!?!?

by Anonymousreply 3November 6, 2020 11:58 PM

Oh god, Long Island is nouveau riche trash—gaudy and gross

by Anonymousreply 4November 6, 2020 11:59 PM

Westchester County, NY too.

by Anonymousreply 5November 7, 2020 12:00 AM

Westchester has steadily gone Dem over the last decade, especially as NYC families have moved up there.

Westchester with its rolling green hill is gorgeous. Long Island is a flat strip mall heaven

by Anonymousreply 6November 7, 2020 12:01 AM

[quote] But Westchester went for Biden with 64%

@ R5

by Anonymousreply 7November 7, 2020 12:02 AM

And NJ, which is often stereotyped as trash, was very heavily pro-Biden

by Anonymousreply 8November 7, 2020 12:02 AM

Aren’t The Lohans from LI?

by Anonymousreply 9November 7, 2020 12:02 AM

I stand corrected. I grew up here and it was Republican central. I’m glad it’s changing.

by Anonymousreply 10November 7, 2020 12:05 AM

Lots of cops and Italians on Long Island. It's more like Staten Island than Connecticut or New Jersey.

But the Pork Store was fucking great.

by Anonymousreply 11November 7, 2020 12:06 AM

They are mostly white (and racist)

A lot of them are government workers or belong to a union. They have a comfortable life and they don't want anyone else to have the same. They want to protect the status quo

This is very ironic because the taxpayers pay one half's salaries and the other half's jobs are due to unions, which the republican party wants to do away with

they've been living nice lives because of democratic party principles but they think their success is all do to themselves. It's not

by Anonymousreply 12November 7, 2020 12:07 AM

That’s an absolutely humiliating statistic!

by Anonymousreply 13November 7, 2020 12:15 AM

You would almost prefer a high crime area than to be surrounded by greedy hate filled retards.

by Anonymousreply 14November 7, 2020 12:42 AM

The Hamptons is wrought with rich white Republicans. Think Mar-a-Lago with pumpkin spice.

by Anonymousreply 15November 7, 2020 12:49 AM

[quote] wrought

I do not think that means what you think it means.

by Anonymousreply 16November 7, 2020 12:52 AM

Long Island residents generally hate black people.

by Anonymousreply 17November 7, 2020 12:55 AM

Long a island has become trashy whites and middle class minorities who are intentionally distancing from the urban way of life. Lots of Hispanics too - and we know they screwed us for all the reasons discussed in the other thread.

by Anonymousreply 18November 7, 2020 1:00 AM

r16 Oh, fuck it. Fraught with? How about rotting with?

by Anonymousreply 19November 7, 2020 1:05 AM

Cops.

by Anonymousreply 20November 7, 2020 1:09 AM

[quote] You would almost prefer a high crime area than to be surrounded by greedy hate filled retards.

Why choose one when you could have both!

by Anonymousreply 21November 7, 2020 1:17 AM

Racist cops and firemen and guidos

by Anonymousreply 22November 7, 2020 1:19 AM

R18 It's not Latinos, it's Italians as R11 and R22 mentioned. And Latino Democratic support remained solid in Arizona and Nevada, so how about dropping this finger-pointing narrative.

by Anonymousreply 23November 7, 2020 1:20 AM

Long Island here. It’s so ass backwards. I am a public school teacher and almost all of my colleagues support him. I really don’t get it. Where I live, Remsenburg, is all Biden. Small pocket of supports. Crazy that we are surrounded by such brainwashed fuck stains.

by Anonymousreply 24November 7, 2020 1:30 AM

After WWII, The LI potato fields were turned into massive housing developments. Blacks and Jews were not allowed to buy in these developments. There were lots of Germans, though. I have a deplorable great-nephew, because he doesn’t know any better.

by Anonymousreply 25November 7, 2020 1:43 AM

Every post say "white and racist." So if you are white you are racist...

by Anonymousreply 26November 7, 2020 1:46 AM

[quote] Racist cops and firemen and guidos

And they hate the government, but are employed by the government (local/state)

whenever I'm around people like this I agree with them, but do it in a baitful way. They'll say they hate the dems and I'll say I do too. Then a little later I'll mention how great it is that the republicans want to do away with unions because, you know, none of those union employees want to work, they're all lazy

by Anonymousreply 27November 7, 2020 1:46 AM

Miss Victoria Sleestack is a registered Republican from New Canaan.

by Anonymousreply 28November 7, 2020 9:57 AM

theyr racists, and want no taxes....

by Anonymousreply 29November 7, 2020 10:21 AM

Long Island is where the working class from Queens and Brooklyn moved to once they had their union jobs which guaranteed their income for life. The wealthier suburbs in Westchester and NJ usually vote Democratic.

by Anonymousreply 30November 7, 2020 10:27 AM

[quote] Every post say "white and racist." So if you are white you are racist...

I don’t think you understand how Boolean operators work.

by Anonymousreply 31November 7, 2020 11:07 AM

Irish and Italians government employees who think lazy Blacks were “given” everything by Democrats. Racist hypocrites everywhere around me.

by Anonymousreply 32November 7, 2020 11:10 AM

Long Island was one of the major areas hundreds of whites fled to post WWII in aid of getting away from the city (NYC), and all that it was then. Like Staten Island and Queens you have (or had) a very high percentage of ethnic white (Italian, Irish, German, etc...) European working to middle class .

As for rest OP see link for answers to your queries.

P.S.

Long Island is slowly changing as same demographic forces that have shaped Queens, Staten Island and South Brooklyn take hold. Many towns out there are becoming or nearly all Latino/Hispanic. You also are seeing a good of Asians moving out there due to the famously great schools.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33November 7, 2020 12:09 PM

I suspect the further east you go on Long Island, the more democratic it gets. People in the east end and north fork make it a point to refer to where they live by using those names instead of saying long island.

by Anonymousreply 34November 7, 2020 2:18 PM

R34

You might want to rethink......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35November 7, 2020 2:29 PM

Flip the question: Why do deplorables not want to live in diverse cities? Easier to answer that way.

by Anonymousreply 36November 7, 2020 2:35 PM

Basically, Long Island is just Florida in the north.

by Anonymousreply 37November 7, 2020 2:38 PM

I was shocked to see Monmouth County NJ flip. It is a generally a right wing area of Jersey and Trump won it by 9 points in 2016.

by Anonymousreply 38November 7, 2020 2:42 PM

its also quite isolated , just to drive anywhere from LI to other parts of the US you must transverse the enitrre NYC metro , let alone all the boroughs.

by Anonymousreply 39November 7, 2020 2:48 PM

Living in NYC for years, I used to think Long Island and Westchester were basically the same.

Going to visit friends as they moved out of the city proved I was so wrong. Westchester seems to be full on liberal and just elected Mondaire Jones, a gay progressive in the mold of AOC, to Congress. Ling Island, not only looks dismal in comparison to the physical beauty but the people I’ve met in LI seem to have opinions from the 1950s

by Anonymousreply 40November 7, 2020 2:49 PM

I've always found that odd about Long Island r39. Going to anywhere means crossing through the entirety of New York City. That is isolating.

I'm in burbs on the Jersey side and like that much better.

by Anonymousreply 41November 7, 2020 2:51 PM

They've had strong GOPs for a long time. Former Governor Al "pothole" D'Amato was a major figure in Nassau.

by Anonymousreply 42November 7, 2020 2:56 PM

R33 is correct Long Island was designed by Robert Moses in the 50s to be a mecca only for the white working class . It’s much less diverse than Westchester and more blatantly racist

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43November 7, 2020 3:02 PM

wow r25 that's exactly what that late 70s disco classic 'There But For the Grace of God Go I' is about. The family leaves the Bronx and then there this "Let's find a place they say, somewhere far away, With no blacks, no Jews and no gays."

by Anonymousreply 44November 7, 2020 3:45 PM

R44 Wrong. There are tons of Jews in Nassau County. There blacks on LI as well.

by Anonymousreply 45November 7, 2020 3:54 PM

lots of cops like on LI

by Anonymousreply 46November 7, 2020 4:02 PM

R38 the cap on deductions for SALT taxes passed in the huge tax cut for the rich has most people in NJ pissed since RE taxes are high.

by Anonymousreply 47November 7, 2020 4:18 PM

I worked around Hicksville/Jericho on LI with an upper middle class Jewish family that was staunchly republican and it was so confusing to me and frustrating. Most educated Jewish folks vote Democratic, I thought? But then again, the same thing happened when I worked up in Greenwich—rich Jewish families who were extremely fiscally conservative. What gives?

by Anonymousreply 48November 7, 2020 4:24 PM

R45 I think it’s called Brooklyn!

by Anonymousreply 49November 7, 2020 7:08 PM

[quote] After WWII, The LI potato fields were turned into massive housing developments. Blacks and Jews were not allowed to buy in these developments

Jews were never barred from Long Island. I grew up in a town that was first a small rural town with a synagogue, and later a suburban town with a really large synagogue. About 25% of the kids I went to public school with were Jewish. About 80% of my teachers were Jewish. About 20% of the block where I lived was Jewish, including my parents’ next door neighbors for 45 years. And I lived on eastern Long Island, which was not at that time a very desirable place to live because it was so far from the city. There was a more concentrated Jewish population on western LI, where the commute to the city was less onerous.

There were Jews on LI before suburbanization and Jews moved out to LI during & after suburbanization. I married a Jew from Long Island.

African Americans were actively barred from white housing developments. There were several mass housing developments that went bankrupt before being finished. Those are the areas where blacks were “allowed” to move. Many of the houses were unfinished & built with subpar material. There was no landscaping or sidewalks. The developers usually got money to build the development and skimmed huge amounts of money from the bank loans for themselves and built crap. Brentwood was one of those areas. The developer left it looking like Soweto, with half-unfinished, small houses that were built on & surrounded by dirt. The developers took the first 12 inches of topsoil off the land and sold it, then didn’t even attempt to plant grass or anything else.

That’s where NYC relocated a lot of black & Hispanic poor people, and the county got money from the Section 8 program to house them. Even though a lot of MS 13 is concentrated in Brentwood today, it looks far better than it did 50 years ago when people were moved there into section 8 housing built by failed, cheap, crooked developers. People made their landscape & housing look much better after a number of years. But it’s true that black people could not buy into white areas.people would set the cars of the politicians who allowed segregated housing on fire and leave notes “Your house is next.” No cellphones or security cameras in those days. It was a serious threat.

by Anonymousreply 50November 16, 2020 3:18 PM

I found all the operators in Boolea to be hardworking, polite and helpful.

by Anonymousreply 51November 16, 2020 3:27 PM

Long Island is heavily middle class, think about all the people of the WW1 WW2 waves of immigration and the later generations that moved out to LI for a better life. Many of them turn Republican due to the myth that they made it on their own.

by Anonymousreply 52November 16, 2020 3:28 PM

Property taxes are out of control and they blame the Democrats even though thru Trumps big tax cut NY property-tax deductions were eliminated raising their taxes. From there and have amazing memories that I will always cherish but thrilled I'm gone. My friend right before the election went running in her Biden/Harris T shirt and a ten year old boy yelled at her to fuck off. True.

by Anonymousreply 53November 16, 2020 3:33 PM

With the absentees trickling in, Biden appears to have won Nassau after all. Suffolk's a lost cause.

There was an awful episode over the summer where a black single mom in Valley Stream was being terrorized by her Deplorable neighbors and their friends.

by Anonymousreply 54November 16, 2020 3:37 PM

R50 Jews may not have been barred from buying houses on Long Island, but they were barred from joining MANY golf courses on Long Island.

by Anonymousreply 55November 16, 2020 4:49 PM

I live in Michigan in predominantly Democratic Oakland County, right next to predominantly Republican Macomb County. Sounds Macomb County seems a lot like Queens.

by Anonymousreply 56November 16, 2020 5:15 PM

[quote] [R50] Jews may not have been barred from buying houses on Long Island, but they were barred from joining MANY golf courses on Long Island

Maybe in the 1940s. But Jewish developers bought land & made their own golf courses. They started their own country clubs. By the 70s, there was no longer a distinction between a Jewish or Christian golf course or country club. You don’t need to be a blue blood, you just need to have green in your pocket. Or a black Amex. Golf courses aren’t exactly desegregated, though. You need to put up hundreds of thousands to get into some of them where I live.

by Anonymousreply 57November 16, 2020 5:39 PM

Garden City, LI owns this thread.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58November 16, 2020 8:48 PM

New Yorkers move to Westchester and Northern New Jersey.

They do not move to Long Island.

by Anonymousreply 59November 16, 2020 8:53 PM

Says someone who obviously does not live in NYC.....

by Anonymousreply 60November 16, 2020 8:57 PM

[quote] Maybe in the 1940s.

Or earlier, R57 but DLers tend to believe the last 75 years never happened and the social divisions that existed right after the second world war still exist today.

by Anonymousreply 61November 16, 2020 9:50 PM

A certain type of Manhattan/Brooklynite R59, the ones that make up the "coastal liberal elite"--grew up upper middle class, went to good colleges, work in law, finance, media, tech, medicine--rarely moves to LI

There are about two dozen towns in NJ, Westchester and CT that they will deign to live in, plus (to be fair) Port Washington and Cold Spring Harbor on LI

A goodly percentage of DLers view NJ as a Jersey Shore-Sopranos wasteland of postwar tract houses, when in fact there are vast swaths of the state that are picture postcard Norman Rockwell (or upscale Norman Rockwell) suburbs inhabited by people who moved out from Manhattan or Brooklyn when they had kids.

The "gay suburb" of Maplewood is a prime example.

by Anonymousreply 62November 16, 2020 9:59 PM

That country club or whatever on Golden Girls that Dorothy's friend belonged to may still have been "restricted" in 1980's/1990's, but plenty of other such places long opened up to Jews.

Just as with co-ops and other once bastions of WASPS these places had no choice; their own numbers were declining and Jews had tons of money. Mind you there were "Jewish persons" and "Jews". Ones who gained admission to various formerly WASP only buildings,clubs, etc.. .tended to be of the reformed sort of largely western European background. Jews like the Rothschild family long were accepted by white protestants in some circles because aside from their religion they weren't that much different.

You see this in how many scions of white protestant families on either side of Atlantic married Jewish girls.

by Anonymousreply 63November 16, 2020 10:00 PM

That country club or whatever on Golden Girls that Dorothy's friend belonged to may still have been "restricted" in 1980's/1990's, but plenty of other such places long opened up to Jews.

Just as with co-ops and other once bastions of WASPS these places had no choice; their own numbers were declining and Jews had tons of money. Mind you there were "Jewish persons" and "Jews". Ones who gained admission to various formerly WASP only buildings,clubs, etc.. .tended to be of the reformed sort of largely western European background. Jews like the Rothschild family long were accepted by white protestants in some circles because aside from their religion they weren't that much different.

You see this in how many scions of white protestant families on either side of Atlantic married Jewish girls.

by Anonymousreply 64November 16, 2020 10:00 PM

R64 is sort of Trumping

[quote] That country club or whatever on Golden Girls that Dorothy's friend belonged to

Golden Girls was a fictional program not a documentary

[quote] Mind you there were "Jewish persons" and "Jews". Ones who gained admission to various formerly WASP only buildings,clubs, etc.. .tended to be of the reformed sort of largely western European background. Jews like the Rothschild family

We'll mark that one "somewhat based in reality" -- the "Our Crowd" German Jews came to the US long before the Eastern European Jews and founded many of the "Jewish" clubs like Century and Jewish country clubs too. And in the 1930s and 40s, they were far more likely to be the ones with Harvard degrees working at an investment bank.

But by the 50s and 60s you had plenty of third or fourth generation Polish or Russian Jews who'd also been to Harvard and went to medical school and were welcome, especially on Long Island.

by Anonymousreply 65November 16, 2020 10:36 PM

My husband’s ancestor from Poland took a German last name in the US and a woman I know whose family came from Russia said her grandfather looked in a Manhattan phone book & pulled out the first name he saw that looked Anglo/Germanic. They would always be Eastern European Jews, but they wanted their kids to be able to pass for German Jews.

[quote] You see this in how many scions of white protestant families on either side of Atlantic married Jewish girls.

Other way around. The women married Jewish men, many of whom had anglicized their names, eg Robbins instead of Rabinowitz.

by Anonymousreply 66November 16, 2020 11:06 PM

More Trumping at R66

Most Polish and Russian Jews have Germanic names--a "Schwartz" is as likely to have ancestors from Minsk as from Munich. Maybe a "witz" name sounded Polish, but that is about it.

And the marriage of wealthy Jews to wealthy Gentiles worked both ways--they were part of the same social circles and fell in love. Life is not an Edith Wharton novel.

by Anonymousreply 67November 17, 2020 4:59 PM

[quote] More Trumping at [R66]

Nice try, R67. Go back to your baloney & mayo sandwich.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68November 17, 2020 8:13 PM

Sigh.

And if you look at that list of names R68, just on the sample page, few of them are distinctly "Russian"--- there's everything from the Sephardic name Abarbanel to the German Abend and Abelson Yiddish is a dialect of German and thus most Jews used names that worked in both languages.

Here's Wikipedia on the subject

[quote] Jews have historically used Hebrew patronymic names. While permanent family surnames started appearing among Sephardic Jews in Iberia and elsewhere as early as the 10th or 11th century, they did not spread widely to the Ashkenazic Jews of Germany or Eastern Europe until later. However, Non-Ashkenazi Jews who had immigrated to what was considered Ashkenaz (such as Sephardic Jews who fled the Inquisition) would often keep their surnames and/or Ashkenazize them (e.g., "Melamad" was kept; "Leoni" would be Ashkenazized to "Leib"), and some of the already-settled Jews in communities in large cities (such as Prague or Frankfurt am Main) began to adopt various surnames. Surnames derived from the name of the matriarch of the family were adopted by some households. For example, the surname Rivkes is derived from the depreciatory diminutive form Rivke/Rivkeh of the female name Riva, which in its turn is a diminutive of Rebecca, so the surname literally means "Riva's". The Slavic language-influenced counterpart is Rivkin.

[quote] Other surnames came from the man's trade such as Metzger (butcher) or Becker (baker), and a few derived from personal attributes, such as Jaffe (beautiful), or special events in the family history. The majority of Middle Age surname adoption came from place names (for example Shapiro, from Shpira, Speyer, a Rhenanian city known for its famous Jewish community in the 11th century), often a town name, typically the birthplace of the founder of a rabbinical or other dynasty. These names would permutate to various forms as families moved, such as the original Welsch becoming Wallach, Wlock, or Block. Since these surnames did not have the official status that modern ones do, often the old surname would be dropped and a new one adopted after the family moved their household.[9]

[quote] The process of assigning permanent surnames to Jewish families (most of which are still used to this day) began in Austria. On 23 July 1787, five years after the Edict of Tolerance, the Holy Roman Emperor Joseph II issued a decree called Das Patent über die Judennamen which compelled the Jews to adopt German surnames.[10][11][12] Prussia did so soon after, beginning with Silesia: the city of Breslau in 1790, the Breslau administrative region in 1791, the Liegnitz region in 1794. In 1812, when Napoleon had occupied much of Prussia, surname adoption was mandated for the unoccupied parts; and Jews in the rest of Prussia adopted surnames in 1845.[9][13]

Did you really think all those Goldbergs, Rosenbergs, Schwartzes, and Shapiros were German Jews?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69November 17, 2020 8:33 PM

theyr not....its voter fraud dear. TONS OF IT IN THIS ELECTION. U THINK THAT MANY FOLKS WENT RED????

by Anonymousreply 70November 18, 2020 4:14 AM

Long Island is for minorities now what it was for white ethnics 50 years ago. They escape the city and reject city values. Combined with multi-generation Islanders who are working class whites, it is the polar opposite of NYC.

by Anonymousreply 71November 18, 2020 4:17 AM

Many young whites are leaving LI for same reasons they are Queens, Staten Island and Brooklyn; despite being born and raised they cannot afford to buy a home in area, so are packing up and moving out of state.

Taxes in LI are killing, especially in areas with excellent schools and other TOL amenities. In many towns there is little to nil multi-family, and things are zoned in such a way to keep it that way. Defending that status quo is what got Garden City in trouble with Obama administration and local associations for POC.

Long story short just as with Westchester there are huge issues with discrimination in housing for much of LI. You also see same sides as in past going to battle in efforts to bust various areas of LI, but locals aren't having any of it.

Long Island, Westchester and NJ were where people moved in 1960's through 1980's to get away from previously all white areas of Queens, Brooklyn and Staten Island being racially integrated.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72November 18, 2020 5:38 AM

Which leads to developments like one in link.

Interestingly in studies done all over LI where these "affordable" multi-family units are built it is local residents (usually young people) who move in, not minorities invading this or that suburb.

Developers are trying hard to convince local LI towns that this isn't the 1950's anymore. Young families or persons don't necessarily want a house, even in a track community.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73November 18, 2020 5:43 AM

wonder why folks dont want blacks in their neighborhoods ? do they keep their cars parked in the front yards? and have excessive traffic to their houses?

by Anonymousreply 74November 18, 2020 5:51 AM

Carlos and Carmen Vidal just had a child a lovely girl with a crooked smile

Now they gotta split 'cause the Bronx ain't fit for a kid to grow up in; let's find a place they say, somewhere far away with no blacks, no Jews and no gays!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75November 18, 2020 6:11 AM

Susan Lucci is a life long resident of Garden City.

by Anonymousreply 76November 18, 2020 12:35 PM

The quadrangle at the junction of NY, NJ, ad PA also went Republican.

Quadrangle = Orange County, NY and Sullivan County, NY plus Pike County, PA and Sussex County, NJ

by Anonymousreply 77November 18, 2020 1:34 PM

Interesting R77 but those counties are not suburban as much as rural/exurban.

And I bet the Hasids turned Sullivan and Orange red.

by Anonymousreply 78November 18, 2020 3:03 PM

[quote] minorities go. They escape the city and reject city values.

The reason why minorities choose Long Island is because can’t afford Queens. It’s the exact opposite of the past. In the past. Long Island was more desirable simply because it wasn’t the city, so it was more expensive. Nowadays, Queens is more expensive.

People from the Middle East, South Asia, Central Asia & East Asia prefer to buy a house in Queens for $750k, knock it down and replace it with a huge, porticoed brick or cement structure and they cover the ground with paving stones & driveways. They have no need for green grass, shrubbery, flower gardens or trees. Just a big driveway and a patio with a potted fig or jujube tree on it. Taxes are lower in queens, there’s mass transit, good schools & closer to the city. That’s why it’s desirable. Long Island is cheaper, so minorities who haven’t done as well financially go there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79November 18, 2020 3:24 PM

NYPD, FDNY, etc all live out there, enough said

by Anonymousreply 80November 18, 2020 3:27 PM

I'm from there and have a hard time convincing people that it was one of the most segregated places in the country. There were definitely white towns and black towns. Also, Nassau County was home to one of the last operating Republican political machine in the country. Things are changing slowly, but the resentments and suspicions of generations don't go away overnight. And Suffolk, of course, is home to half the NYPD, living off City tax money and spending it far away from the city. Over the 4th of July, I spent some time at a NYFD lieutenant's house in Suffolk. It was gorgeous. Huge pool, huge yard, all the amenities. No wonder they want to live there.

by Anonymousreply 81November 18, 2020 4:25 PM

R72 has his finger on the pulse.

Me & Mine left NYC for Long Island hoping for an easier pace and expecting to encounter lots of others like us. Clearly, we were stuck in the middle of last century and didn't know it. What I've actually found is an odd mix of low-educated but very moneyed Trump-tards and well-educated Asians who don't really intermix with anyone outside their ethnic group. The ridiculous cost of living, including the taxes (yes, I laughed out loud at the poster above who said, "LI-ers don't want to pay any taxes"....No, Mary, we just don't like bearing one of the highest tax margins in the nation, and not at all commensurate with the level of public service we receive)...has made it all but impossible for middle-class young families to live here. So all we've got are wealthy contractors stumping for Trump and lovely Asians who want nothing to do with the rest of us. Who are "the rest of us"? People who DO vote Democrat, who DO support liberal values and legislation, and who ARE lonely most of the time.

by Anonymousreply 82November 18, 2020 4:56 PM

Agree R82. Always amazed how wealthy working class people from LI are. I know some educated professionals from the North Shore. But over the past 25 years, the majority move to Westchester. Seems like mostly Asian/Indian/Russians.

by Anonymousreply 83November 18, 2020 7:55 PM

R82/R83 -- so Paul Fussell's "Affluent Blue Collar"?

by Anonymousreply 84November 18, 2020 7:57 PM

Just an FYI - a lot of the things Suffolk county people have are due to family’s working class skills. In my neighborhood, men build additions onto their own homes. They have their brother-in-law who works in heavy construction bring over his backhoe & other equipment to dig up his backyard for a pool. Their cousin the landscaper puts in their sprinkler system & plants trees/gardens. One of my landscaper neighbors brings “leftover” stuff to his family & friends - ie, he charges the items (like 2 gates he gave to my other neighbor) to a bill for a landscaping job to his customers. They just add more money to the customer’s bill.

Their father-in-law tiles their kitchen & bathroom. Their nephew who installs floors for Home Depot pulls up their carpet & replaces it with hardwood. My nephew used to know how to steal cable service when he worked for cable. My cousin, a narcotics detective, suddenly bought a piece of property in a beautiful area for $30k in the 90s when it was worth 10x more than that (some drug dealer got away scot free on that one). When asked how on earth the land could sell for such a low amount, he claimed the owner was involved in a messy divorce & didn’t want his spouse to get hold of the land in the divorce settlement so he unloaded ASAP out of spite.

Everyone scratches each other’s back. My husband and I have no idea how to fix things in our home because we grew up in apartments where we had supers & we work our asses off in white collar jobs. That’s another thing - blue collar workers have no college debt. They didn’t put their careers off for 6 years getting bachelor’s & master’s degrees. While we were busting our asses in school, they were earning money.

So you say “But you make more money as professionals than they do, right?”

Nope. We don’t make what a plumber or electrician makes. We have licenses & offices to pay for & continuing education & malpractice insurance (not just Drs have to carry it) & constantly worry about lawsuits because we’re in health care.

If I’d known then what I know now, I would never have gone to college. I would’ve gotten a job with the state, retired with a pension after 20 years, then gotten another job with the state for 20 years with a separate pension. I know 4 people who did this I’d also make sure to get “disabled” so my pensions would be tax free.

by Anonymousreply 85November 18, 2020 9:20 PM

R85, all so relatable, all so true.

by Anonymousreply 86November 18, 2020 9:41 PM

This was mentioned either in this thread or elsewhere, but again don't think many realize just how much money "working class", tradesmen, etc... households actually earn. In many instances their annual household income not only matches but surpasses many "middle class" white collar households including those holding not just undergraduate but post degrees as well.

Remember that episode on Frasier where Niles Crane (or was it Frasier) is trying to impress one of the plumbers with his German car, only to have the plumber shoot back he has a higher level model and that is son is eyeballing another that puts whatever the Crane boys had in the shade.

There are law enforcement, fire, and other civil servants who have everything so called professional classes have and more; nice large house out on LI, in NJ, or certain parts of NYC or Westchester. Condo in Florida or more likely nowadays house also in North Carolina or someplace down south. Boats, late model luxury cars, kids in private schools, etc....

These people have something professional classes don't; rock solid pensions and other retirement benefits that cannot be taken away. Guys retire at 50 or maybe even earlier if they have time in with full pension, but have ten or twenty years more to still work (if they wish), and most do.

DT, BLM and other events of past four years has been boon to NYPD; guys are racking in more OT than they can handle. Just the 24/7 protection around 57th and Fifth to Madison (Trump condo building) alone has guaranteed OT for past four years.

by Anonymousreply 87November 20, 2020 2:45 AM

[quote]why is Long Island so Republican?

Because it's full of assholish, racist, Italian and Irish second generation MORONS with shit for brains!

by Anonymousreply 88November 20, 2020 2:53 AM

It's funny R87, I have heard a similar story from a number of straight friends, Wall Streeters, lawyers, etc. something to the effect of "we went to High End Resort X for the week and there were a bunch of white trash rednecks there, tattoos and big bellies, getting sloppy drunk in the pool at 11 AM... rooms there start at $1200/night. We think they must have been lottery winners or drug dealers or something, because how else could they have afforded to stay there?"

by Anonymousreply 89November 20, 2020 3:07 AM

The hidden pension Golden ticket that no one ever bothered paying for until now is a time bomb waiting to explode, Alreadt, real,eats taxes are going up 5%/year just to make the minimum required contribution for the OLD pensions. With the elimination of the SALT deduction in Trumps tax “cut”, people will start fleeing.

by Anonymousreply 90November 20, 2020 3:15 AM

Is Long Island not still heavily Jewish? I lived there as a small kid. There were only 3 non-Jews in my second grade class. I'd have thought they'd vote democratically.

by Anonymousreply 91November 20, 2020 3:23 AM

If you mean Five Towns and other areas; yes Lawng Aylan still has substantial Jewish population.

That being said things vary by location; overall Jews only make up < 20% of total LI population with Catholics dominating at 52%. However individual towns or areas can have substantially higher numbers of Jews.

by Anonymousreply 92November 20, 2020 3:41 AM

"They've had strong GOPs for a long time. Former Governor Al "pothole" D'Amato was a major figure in Nassau."

You mean Senator Pothole - he was never governor. He was famous for corruption and cronyism so of course they named a courthouse after him!

I don't know about today but Long Island used to be a mix of wealthy people who wanted to raise their kids in a safer, greener place than NYC... and cops. Tons of cops.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93November 20, 2020 4:02 AM

R91 /r92 Long Island Jews tend to be a lot more Trumpian than NJ/CT/Westchester and obviously NYC. Whereas the “coastal elite” Jews tend to place a high value on education and overall success, Long Island Jewish types are just about making money and are generally much more provincial.

by Anonymousreply 94November 20, 2020 6:43 AM

The Five Towns, while still heavily Jewish, has become almost exclusively Orthodox over the past 30 years and Great Neck has become very Persian.

Both groups vote Republican R91 and R92

While there are still secular Jews in the Syosset-Jericho-DIx Hills area, they are mostly older and are being replaced by Asians, who also vote Republican.

The now 30-something kids of those Syosset Jews are moving to NJ/CT/Westchester or out of the region completely.

by Anonymousreply 95November 20, 2020 10:39 AM

Wrong Island White Trash.

by Anonymousreply 96November 20, 2020 11:00 AM

“A certain type of Manhattan/Brooklynite [R59], the ones that make up the "coastal liberal elite"--grew up upper middle class, went to good colleges, work in law, finance, media, tech, medicine--rarely moves to LI“

Not true. Long Island is pretty big so you can’t generalize like that. The whole north shore has lots of these types. And since COVID? It’s even crazier. They are snapping up houses like fiends.

I live in the city but grew up in Sea Cliff. I’m out there a lot because I’m part owner of a boutique real estate firm. We’ve had our busiest year ever, it’s insane. 22 closings in just the last 6 weeks. The majority are affluent, educated 30-something city-dwellers just as you describe. Whenever I walk up to town to get my coffee it looks like Greenpoint. Hip moms and dads everywhere - many of whom work in advertising, finance and tech.

Other areas that are seeing a huge influx: Manhasset, Locust Valley, Oyster Bay, Old Brookville, Huntington and now further out east because everyone is working remotely. Jamesport, Greenport, East Marion, Mattituck, etc.

by Anonymousreply 97November 20, 2020 11:23 AM

That's a recent development then R97

With the exception of Port Washington and Cold Spring Harbor, LI has been off the radar for a while now.

I suspect they are getting priced out of Montclair, Bronxville and Darien and "discovering" Long Island.

These things are cyclical.

by Anonymousreply 98November 20, 2020 12:31 PM

Montclair was "hot" real estate wise with scores of Manhattan and Brooklyn residents looking to relocate going back a year or more. Now it's just plain crazy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99November 20, 2020 2:28 PM

A recent development? Uhh, where are you from? My parents met in the west village in the 60s. Both were educated professionals. And they moved to the north shore of Long Island because so many of their peers were doing the same. That’s always been the case. I would argue that Maplewood/West Orange is the recent phenomenon. As cities became more and more THE place young affluent professionals had to move to in order to make the most money, those areas were transformed.

As for getting priced out of Darien, respectfully, these are people who are paying 1, 2 and 3 million dollars - many times cash - for houses. Young professionals now are grossed out by stodgy “Aryan” Darien.

You seem to think that affluent, commuter-centric Long Island is just Cold Spring Harbor and Port Washington. That perception is simply wrong.

by Anonymousreply 100November 20, 2020 5:01 PM

And then again R100, you are a realtor on Long Island...

by Anonymousreply 101November 20, 2020 5:09 PM

Nah, not a realtor. Just an investor. My day job is running a tech company. But given the $$$ my agents are making, I'll definitely consider becoming one as my next career.

by Anonymousreply 102November 20, 2020 5:17 PM

Nassau used to didn't be that republican. Wetchester is highly educated professionals. Ain't no way in hell they voting for Trump. I guess all the trashy Irish and Italian-Americans outnumbered all the West Indians and young guidos in Nassau. Hell knowing them, the guidos probably voted Trump.

by Anonymousreply 103November 20, 2020 5:31 PM

[quote] used to didn't be

by Anonymousreply 104November 20, 2020 5:32 PM

r36, Its nothing racist about not wanting to live in a big overcrowded city. I'm a black man and would never live in rat infested New York again unless i was rich. With that being said, many of those white people on the island are racists lol.

by Anonymousreply 105November 20, 2020 5:40 PM

"Hell knowing them, the guidos probably voted Trump."

They absolutely voted for Trump. Guido's parents are 1st and 2nd generation Catholic Italians - and 90% of them are CRAZY conservative. Totally racist, too. They all voted for that mango-colored shithead

by Anonymousreply 106November 20, 2020 6:16 PM

"Westchester has steadily gone Dem over the last decade, especially as NYC families have moved up there."

I've lived in Westchester since the 1960s, and it's always been left of center. Not McGovern-Bernie crazy liberal, but Liberal nonetheless. I'm talking about the high income congested sections of lower Westchester, not the working class Yonkers-Elmsford-(place town here). High income - then and now - tends to mean highly educated, and not likely to be swayed by a charlatan like Trump. But of course we all know him for decades, so his snake oil doesn't work well here.

by Anonymousreply 107November 20, 2020 6:54 PM

[quote] Because it's full of assholish, racist, Italian and Irish second generation MORONS with shit for brains!

Add Jews to the list. My husbands extended Jewish family - young & old - are now conservative Trump voters. It’s not just Israel, it’s also racism. I was really surprised the first time I heard his aunts/uncles/cousins say racist things. I grew up believing the stereotype that all Jewish people were liberal & hated racism. It’s just that - a stereotype. A lot of the racism stemmed from grandparents having had businesses in black areas that got destroyed in riots, or robbed in neighborhoods that became increasingly dangerous. There was this attitude of “We went into their neighborhood & sold them nice things when nobody else would, and that’s how they repaid us.” My husband’s family owned bakeries & butcher shops in ghetto areas or areas that became ghetto-ized. Buy 1970 they’d closed down their businesses & moved to LI or NJ, with a lot of resentment. But hey - one of the reasons their stores were in those kinds of neighborhoods was because rents were cheap. They weren’t being altruistic. It was business.

Every group has their reason for why they hate some other group. Italians say their Italian neighborhoods were destroyed by blockbusters who “turned the place black.” Irish say “They stole our jobs by demanding to get into the unions for free when everyone knows you had to work your way up by paying people off to get into the union in the first place.”

They all have one reason or another going back years, when they engaged in white flight.

by Anonymousreply 108November 20, 2020 6:56 PM

"Add Jews to the list. My husbands extended Jewish family - young & old - are now conservative Trump voters. It’s not just Israel, it’s also racism."

Weird to me, since I've never known a Jew (over 40) who wasn't a liberal. It's not just a stereotype - it's a TYPE. It's a background combined with religion, geography and education. The Jews I knew/know don't own small businesses, that's a major difference.

by Anonymousreply 109November 20, 2020 7:01 PM

[quote] With the exception of Port Washington and Cold Spring Harbor, LI has been off the radar for a while now.

You obviously know nothing about Sands Point, Centerport , Old Westbury, Glen Head, Garden City, eg.

Long Island is like a small country. It has different ecological environment, different economies, different standards of living, different accents, different social behavior. What’s ok behavior in one area is not ok 10 miles away.

by Anonymousreply 110November 20, 2020 7:25 PM

I love how all the NYC queens on this list want to completely disassociate Long Island and parts of New Jersey because it doesn't fit their narrative of class and cosmopolitan New Yorkers.

You're going to have to take it all - including Staten Island. You can't cherry pick and call New Yorkers those who live below 96th street on one island. It doesn't work like that.

by Anonymousreply 111November 20, 2020 7:27 PM

r111, to be fair long Islanders and New Jersy are not New Yorkers. Everyone form the city knows what I'm talking about. There is a difference.

by Anonymousreply 112November 20, 2020 7:40 PM

[quote] The Jews I knew/know don't own small businesses, that's a major difference.

That was the grandparents/great grandparents generation. The younger generation members are lawyers, surgeons, psychotherapists, owners of a private mail business & an accounting firm (not small businesses ... multimillion dollar ones), retired radio host, professor, antique/jewelry business owner, owners of a specialty tree farm in SoCal, social workers — lots of social workers - it’s a family thing. They help get services & health care for the oldsters & disabled family members. No small business owners anymore. But they grew up on stories from the older generation of small business owners who yearned for the good old days in Brooklyn neighborhoods before the “blockbuster diaspora” to the suburbs.

by Anonymousreply 113November 20, 2020 7:40 PM

Wow, I thought the major "repug" strongholds were "hick' "uneducated" flyover areas?!! Like PenisTucky. Look out! you're SURROUNDED!

by Anonymousreply 114November 20, 2020 7:57 PM

Oddly until R111 brought it up there has been zero negative mention of New Jersey on here

by Anonymousreply 115November 20, 2020 8:04 PM

Do you realize that they are somewhat the exception R113?

That most NYC area Jews voted heavily for Biden and other Democrats?

by Anonymousreply 116November 20, 2020 8:06 PM

Younger people (under 40) coming from Manhattan or Brooklyn aren't jonesing to live in any of those places R110

But there are plenty of Persians, Chinese, Indians, Orthodox and upscale blue collar types who are.

by Anonymousreply 117November 20, 2020 8:13 PM

[quote] Do you realize that they are somewhat the exception [R113]?

No, they aren’t. My husband’s cousin’s synagogue in NJ is totes republican. They support GOP conservative candidates for office & some of the members run for office as GOP candidates. My husband’s FB group from the old neighborhood in Brooklyn is about 50% pro-Trump. They’re boomers. They live all over the country now.

Maybe they profess to being liberal & democratic in public, but in private they sure aren’t and it’s a bone of contention for my husband & his mother who are diehard old school Brooklyn liberals. In fact, his sister who professes to be a staunch democrat is one of the most racist people I’ve ever met. She lived in ZA for a while and totally adopted the white ZA viewpoint on black Africans & African Americans. I think she’s just a democrat because she’s adamantly pro abortion (she had two). My husband used to argue with her at dinner until she finally learned to stop saying racist things in front of him. Now she lives in South America. (She’s still racist)

by Anonymousreply 118November 20, 2020 8:24 PM

But they are R118

You just know some freaks.

by Anonymousreply 119November 20, 2020 8:54 PM

R109 there are two TYPES, really. Lawngisland Jews are my and large (not saying there aren’t exceptions here and there) are different from the “educated / liberal” stereotype that you’re talking about. They’re the type whose families loved Al D’Amato back in the day (not sure what made that guy so popular with Jews but he was). Just much more provincial, stereotypically Long Island and all about making money (education not so much — maybe the kids go to BU at best). Roslyn is probably the biggest culprit town.

by Anonymousreply 120November 20, 2020 9:03 PM

Not all of Westchester is gorgeous. For every Chappaqua you have a New Rochelle, Mt Vernon, White Plains...

by Anonymousreply 121November 20, 2020 9:31 PM

“But there are plenty of Persians, Chinese, Indians, Orthodox and upscale blue collar types who are.“

They’re going to Great Neck, Little Neck and now Manhasset.

But the affluent NYC under 40 set is most definitely moving to areas on the north shore. It’s just a fact. And It’s so weird that you keep denying this very simple fact.

by Anonymousreply 122November 20, 2020 9:38 PM

"You're going to have to take it all - including Staten Island."

Um, no. Staten Island is an island, we don't have to deal with the inhabitants, we never even think of them.

You also have Scarsdale and Bronville, R121, and White Plains is nice too. They're not sprawling acres like upper Westchester, thy're tightly packed suburbs.

by Anonymousreply 123November 20, 2020 10:35 PM

Bronville = Bronxville

by Anonymousreply 124November 20, 2020 10:36 PM

R121

You're forgetting that New Rochelle, White Plains and so forth were lovely suburban/bedroom communities up until around 1980's or so when for various reasons (and I'm not naming any names), things began to change.

Rob and Laura Petrie mirrored the real life movement from NYC to New Rochelle and other areas of white middle class families of post war era.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125November 20, 2020 10:38 PM

Yes, R125, BLACKS moved into New Rochelle.

by Anonymousreply 126November 20, 2020 11:17 PM

Where or WTF is ZA? SOUTH AFRICA?

by Anonymousreply 127November 20, 2020 11:33 PM

R123 White Plains is gross, and so is New Rochelle.

Though both have some nice residential streets, their downtowns are both dreary.

by Anonymousreply 128November 20, 2020 11:47 PM

No, to Westchester.

No, to Long Island.

Yes, to the Catskills.

by Anonymousreply 129November 20, 2020 11:59 PM

r121, why you have to bash places where a lot of black ppl live.

YOU AIN'T NOHTING. YOU AIN'T SHIT. YOUR IMMORAL. YOU WILL BE TAKEN DOWN.

by Anonymousreply 130November 21, 2020 12:24 AM

R112 - LOL - of course you say that. Well, tell them that they aren't New Yorkers. You are wrong - they definitely consider themselves New Yorkers.

It's amazing how people twist themselves in a pretzel to only highlight the cosmopolitan Manhattan and to deny all the ugliness in the metro area.

They are all part of the New York metro area. Fact. New Yorkers want to look down on other cities and their lower classes and Trumpsters, but never want to accept that they have the same.

by Anonymousreply 131November 21, 2020 12:59 AM

R139 Because I have lived in all three of the places I mentioned. And they were all awful.

by Anonymousreply 132November 21, 2020 1:25 AM

Something's wrong, R132. There ain't no R139.

White Plains is NOT gross, you obviously have never been there.

by Anonymousreply 133November 21, 2020 1:38 AM

R133 Yes, I have. When I was in high school and junior high, we all went to the Galleria on Main St.

Ask me anything about White Plains.

by Anonymousreply 134November 21, 2020 1:43 AM

Where are you now, r132?

by Anonymousreply 135November 21, 2020 1:47 AM

Isn’t Howard Beach on L. I. ? No surprise there.

by Anonymousreply 136November 21, 2020 1:47 AM

It’s “immoral” to dislike a town or city?!

I prefer having trees around me, as well attractive architecture and litter on the ground at a minimum. Sue me.

by Anonymousreply 137November 21, 2020 1:56 AM

R136

Howard Beach is in Queens, NY

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138November 21, 2020 4:47 AM

But in an odd but ironic twist even though Howard Beach is largely white, the two congressional districts that cover area have AA men elected as members of House....

by Anonymousreply 139November 21, 2020 4:50 AM

Westchester County is liberal. I had two black housekeepers (and a white British immigrant one).

by Anonymousreply 140November 21, 2020 4:59 AM

We tried to purchase the property next door to keep the "wrong sort" of people from moving in, but some "Jew lawyer" go there first

by Anonymousreply 141November 21, 2020 5:37 AM

Long Island? So over it. I've been living in Manhattan for the past 26 years.

by Anonymousreply 142November 21, 2020 6:28 AM

"we all went to the Galleria on Main St. Ask me anything about White Plains."

Okay, what was there before they built the Galleria? Ever been to the Colony, The Pix or Loews White Plains? Daddy Michaels candy/ice cream store? Sams? The Gedney Way tennis courts? Altmans or Alexanders? Rizzoli's?

by Anonymousreply 143November 21, 2020 1:52 PM

R143 I vaguely remember the Alexander’s.

I don’t doubt it was nice at one time. Now, no.

by Anonymousreply 144November 21, 2020 1:54 PM

I forgot Saks on the corner of Maple and what's now called Bloomingdale Rd.

White Plains was a mess in the 1990s, even during the booming economy of the late 90s-early 2000s. However, it's turned around considerably over the past 15 years - vast improvements in shopping, restaurants, housing. There's new Ritz Carlton hotel and condo, below. There's even a Trump Tower condo, branded Trump but has nothing to do with him. The Galleria is dying, the mall to go to is the Westchester Mall in the space where Altman's used to be, expanded. Gucci, Apple, Microsoft, Tiffany's, Coach, Nordstrom, Pottery Barn, Abercrombie, Brooks Bros, Burberry, Tommy Bahama, Michael Kors...If you want Foot Locker and As Seen on TV, that shit is at the Galleria.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145November 21, 2020 2:10 PM

R143 I know. It’s still dreary, loud, awful architecture and tons of litter everywhere. If you like grittty, that’s fine. I do not.

That said, I’m sure there are nice, leafy residential streets. I’m talking about the “downtown part” - Mamaroneck Ave.

I still visit a doctor’s office there.

by Anonymousreply 146November 21, 2020 2:14 PM

R145 there’s a Serafina there too — I assume in the area you’re talking about. I stopped there once about 8 years ago, I can’t remember the context of why.

Speaking of a restaurant that started quietly on the UES in the mid 90s and became SO ubiquitous all over the country — can say I did not see that one coming.

by Anonymousreply 147November 21, 2020 4:56 PM

Has Long Island become the new Staten Island??

by Anonymousreply 148November 21, 2020 6:39 PM

R146 = hasn't been to many cities if he complains about dreary, loud, awful architecture and tons of litter

by Anonymousreply 149November 21, 2020 6:45 PM

There must be some nicer areas of White Plains though?

I used to work with a guy who lived there and he did not seem like the sort to live in a sketchy neighborhood. Plus I just FB-stalked him and the house he lives in seems very nice--older colonial, big trees.

by Anonymousreply 150November 21, 2020 6:49 PM

Until at least the `1940's there were neighborhoods that EVEN Catholics were barred from buying or renting.

by Anonymousreply 151November 21, 2020 7:12 PM

On youtube there is a documentary about Rosedale Queens in 1975. Working class whites almost start a riot because a black family moved into their neighborhood. It's titled- Rosedale The Way It Is. It's shocking to see now. They were trying to keep blacks out of their community which was about 89% white. Today Rosedale Queens is 89% black. I guess their plan didn't work.

by Anonymousreply 152November 21, 2020 7:17 PM

R145- How can you say White Plains has improved. It's FUCKING UGLY now. The MAFIA builders have put up 60 story buildings which you can see from miles away. The Galleria has been a ghost town for years and even the Westchester is having trouble attracting the affluent customers it was marketed towards.

by Anonymousreply 153November 21, 2020 7:20 PM

R150, White Plains is a suburban city. The majority of it outside of the city area and has tree lined streets and old pre-war houses. It's a pricey address.

by Anonymousreply 154November 21, 2020 7:21 PM

R152

It doesn't take much for certain groups of whites to pack up and move en masse once an area starts to get too dark or worse, tips....

Entire areas of Queens, Brooklyn, Staten Island, and yes even Bronx that once were white working to middle class now are mostly if not wholly POC . This or maybe Asian, Latino/Hispanic, etc....

Canarsie, Brooklyn went from nearly 100% white in 1970's to majority POC by 1990's and now is wholly minority except for very small numbers of remaining whites.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155November 21, 2020 7:25 PM

Wasn't there a tactic called "blockbusting" that unscrupulous real estate types would use to turn these neighborhoods over?

I remember learning about this in a college course, they would move a Black family in and then tell the neighbors "hey, look, there's a black family on your street. Pretty soon there will be more of them and the neighborhood is going to go to shit along with your property values. Better sell the house now, to us, while you still can, and move out."

The blockbusters would always offer a price that was way below the actual value of the house, and that number would drop as more Black families moved in, because they whites would panic and didn't want to be the last white family left, living in a house that (they were convinced) had lost most of its value.

Of course the blockbusters would then sell the house to a Black family for far more than they'd bought it for during the panic sale.

And that was a big reason why working class whites were afraid of having Blacks move in--it was about racism, but it was also about fear that everyone in the neighborhood would move out and they'd be forced to sell their house for a loss.

This happened in many areas of Brooklyn and the Bronx and was exclusively confined to working class neighborhoods--realtors knew they could not find enough Blacks (in the 1970s) who could afford to buy in more upscale areas, especially since their plan relied on the Black families overpaying.

by Anonymousreply 156November 21, 2020 7:46 PM

R156

Yes....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157November 21, 2020 7:52 PM

See also:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158November 21, 2020 7:53 PM

I miss Long Island, haven't been (allowed to be) there since November 1974.

by Anonymousreply 159November 21, 2020 7:56 PM

Blockbusting still goes on, and is likely going to gain momentum with Biden in office whose administration will probably take up where Obama started by forcing suburbs into "inclusion" or "equality" housing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160November 21, 2020 7:56 PM

R160 = Donald Trump

You forgot to mention that [THAT NEGRO SENATOR] Corey Booker was going to lead the charge to destroy the suburbs.

Whatever will those poor housewives do?

by Anonymousreply 161November 21, 2020 8:01 PM

Fascinating post. I grew up on Long Island, in Cold Spring Harbor, in a very different time. In the 70s/80s, it was a mix of old-money, Long Island natives and a lot of corporate transports from other areas of the country. I was sad and disappointed to see that my old zip code voted Trump in 2016 and 2020. It's actually hard to believe.

The North Shore as a whole was always socially conservative, a bit insular and club-oriented, and still is relative to other suburban regions of New York. When I left Manhattan in my 30s, I moved to Westchester. I didn't realize at the time that I was part of a trend. While I miss the beach, and have not been able to replicate the lifestyle of my childhood, there is something unappealing about Long Island overall. Part of it is being stuck off the edge of America (traversing the cross-bronx expressway to get anywhere). Part of it is the abomination of "middle island" and the South Shore. A big part of it is the conservative Republican values folks mention above.

by Anonymousreply 162November 21, 2020 8:25 PM

Scuzzbag Republican senator from Long Island Al D'Amato was a key reason for turning Long Island Republican. Identity politics. He had significant ties to corporate interests, was very transactional, and was crooked as hell, but claimed moral high ground. I was embarrassed that he represented NY State.

by Anonymousreply 163November 21, 2020 8:33 PM

The cops on Law And Order SVU live on Staten Island and Long Island City

by Anonymousreply 164November 21, 2020 9:52 PM

It's worth pointing out that the socio-ecomomic or demographic groups that once produced large numbers of LE have long since declined in Manhattan. That is working to middle class whites (often ethnic Italian, Irish, etc....) began fleeing city for Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island and some parts of Bronx ages ago. You still see some young men or women in Manhattan seeking to join NYPD, but just as with many other things the relative wealth of Manhattan means most young men or women aren't going into LE or any other area of uniformed civil service. Elected officials, administrative posts, etc... that is another matter.

Keep in mind also that NYC was forced to relent and allow NYPD, FDNY and some others to live outside of city boundaries (LI, Yonkers, Westchester) because pay for uniformed services (especially starting out) is rather low compared to cost of living. A rookie NYPD officer depending upon his/her household situation can qualify for welfare benefits, that is just how low they are paid.

Suburbs also offered something that is in short supply overall for NYC, home ownership in terms of private houses. There is a reason why areas of Staten Island, Brooklyn, and Queens have high numbers of NYPD, FDNY, etc... those areas also offer more housing stock in form of private homes. Elsewhere in city much of housing stock consists of rental/multi-family.

by Anonymousreply 165November 21, 2020 10:09 PM

R164 Long Island City is a Democratic stronghold. Staten Island is not.

by Anonymousreply 166November 21, 2020 10:56 PM

R164 and R166-- Law and Order is a fictional programming.

Long Island City is filled with high priced condos marketed at young lawyers and bankers.

by Anonymousreply 167November 21, 2020 11:12 PM

Typical Long Islander

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168November 22, 2020 5:55 AM

What is Jericho like nowadays?

I lived there as a toddler so I don't really have any memory of what the people were like other than the other toddlers on my block.

by Anonymousreply 169November 23, 2020 1:36 AM

That is strange--the majority of the counties in the Chicgago metro area voted Biden.

by Anonymousreply 170November 23, 2020 1:48 AM

Biden is now up by a big margin in Nassau County, OP's premise was wrong r170.

It was a premature take because the mail in vote hadn't been counted yet.

by Anonymousreply 171November 23, 2020 1:53 AM

R171, ok, that's good. I was about to wonder if there was something in the water in Long Island.

by Anonymousreply 172November 23, 2020 1:55 AM

As far as Long Island goes, it depends on the township. Some are Republican and some are Democratic. But make no mistake, there are very strong Trump strongholds on Long Island, especially as you go further out to Suffolk Country.

by Anonymousreply 173November 23, 2020 2:56 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!