Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Butterflies in SoCal

Anyone else see them? There’s been a steady stream flitting through my yard here in LA. So lovely.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23March 15, 2019 5:11 AM

Yes, it’s amazing. We are all watching them fly past the office windows today.

by Anonymousreply 1March 12, 2019 10:12 PM

Fav butterfly thread, for reference.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2March 12, 2019 10:36 PM

We’re going to Joshua Tree to see the flowers this weekend—not yet in full swing I guess but plenty of color.

by Anonymousreply 3March 12, 2019 10:39 PM

That's nice to hear. The last article I read about monarch butterflies was depressing as hell, so nice to hear some good news for once.

by Anonymousreply 4March 12, 2019 10:41 PM

I used to see a lot more butterflies in Socal. I think there been a huge die off no one's noticed.

by Anonymousreply 5March 12, 2019 11:06 PM

Yes! Huge swarm came through my neighborhood today. Heaviest concentration from 10-10:30 am, but saw stragglers for hours afterward.

by Anonymousreply 6March 12, 2019 11:21 PM

This morning, I heard a student say, "When I reincarnate as a butterfly, I will only live 5 days!"

by Anonymousreply 7March 13, 2019 12:24 AM

Huge swarms out here in the desert. Unreal.

by Anonymousreply 8March 13, 2019 12:46 AM

Yes, saw a bunch yesterday and today in BH.

by Anonymousreply 9March 13, 2019 1:43 AM

I saw a large blueish-purple butterfly in the Central Valley and a Rose Ring Parakeet snatched her. Why are these tropical birds such assholes?

Last night I saw a firefly for the first time in years. Mother nature is finally rewarding us for putting us through the ringer for so long.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10March 13, 2019 1:54 AM

Yes, thousands have been swarming the freeways all day... sadly, think about how many of them have had their migrations ended because of that.

by Anonymousreply 11March 13, 2019 1:59 AM

Painted Lady Butterflies are the WHORES of the Butterfly world.

by Anonymousreply 12March 13, 2019 2:22 AM

I take this to be a good Omen. California is going to see better days. Right? RIGHT????

by Anonymousreply 13March 13, 2019 2:27 AM

How do you interpret that parrot eating one, r13?

by Anonymousreply 14March 13, 2019 2:32 AM

[quote]How do you interpret that parrot eating one, [R13]?

California is going to snatch the presidency ????

by Anonymousreply 15March 13, 2019 2:40 AM

It was a bit stagey but Goldie Hawn was funny and Eileen Heckart got a supporting actress award back when those meant something.

by Anonymousreply 16March 13, 2019 2:53 AM

I was in the Carrizo Plain yesterday to see the spring Superbloom, and the butterflies were there! Many butterflies, all Painted Ladies as far as I could tell, and all madly flying north against the wind. This was about 150 miles north of the LA Basin, so the butterfly migration has reached that far,

Not to Northern California, though, so far the only butterfly I've seen near home was a single Cabbage White. But then Spring may have arrived over the last few days but she's barely awake, still in her nightgown and desperate for coffee, so to speak.

by Anonymousreply 17March 15, 2019 2:48 AM

OP, they're so flighty-- just SoCal butterflies.

by Anonymousreply 18March 15, 2019 3:01 AM

In the desert surrounding Palm Springs it is a butterfly festival. Thousands are flying around. They come in waves and are all headed in the same direction, Northwest. All the same kind, medium sized, orange and black. I am out supervising a project overlooking PS in the native desert and it's wonderful. The desert is blooming like crazy and the butterflys are amazing!

by Anonymousreply 19March 15, 2019 3:16 AM

On Tuesday here in the San Gabriel Valley there was a steady stream of them going through the parking lot for several hours. It was like a butterfly superhighway.

by Anonymousreply 20March 15, 2019 3:20 AM

Sounds lovely, OP

by Anonymousreply 21March 15, 2019 3:47 AM

I was in Denver at the end of September, 2017, and I noticed that all the butterflies were Painted Ladies. I photograph butterflies as a hobby, and while I saw hundreds of thousands of painted ladies, even dozens on a single bush, they were the only species I saw. It was like there was only one kind of butterfly in the world!

Some time later, I found that I had been in the middle of a painted lady migration so huge, that clouds of butterflies had shown up on military radar and puzzled the hell out of everyone on the monitors. They wondered if it was a new kind of terrorist activity, but it was just billions of butterflies!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22March 15, 2019 5:10 AM

And the same excellent website has an article on this year's butterfly "irruption".

I hope the butterfly invasion comes through my town, when I'm able to get out and enjoy it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23March 15, 2019 5:11 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!