Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Butterflies in SoCal

Anyone else see them? There’s been a steady stream flitting through my yard here in LA. So lovely.

by Anonymousreply 2303/14/2019

Yes, it’s amazing. We are all watching them fly past the office windows today.

by Anonymousreply 103/12/2019

Fav butterfly thread, for reference.

by Anonymousreply 203/12/2019

We’re going to Joshua Tree to see the flowers this weekend—not yet in full swing I guess but plenty of color.

by Anonymousreply 303/12/2019

That's nice to hear. The last article I read about monarch butterflies was depressing as hell, so nice to hear some good news for once.

by Anonymousreply 403/12/2019

I used to see a lot more butterflies in Socal. I think there been a huge die off no one's noticed.

by Anonymousreply 503/12/2019

Yes! Huge swarm came through my neighborhood today. Heaviest concentration from 10-10:30 am, but saw stragglers for hours afterward.

by Anonymousreply 603/12/2019

This morning, I heard a student say, "When I reincarnate as a butterfly, I will only live 5 days!"

by Anonymousreply 703/12/2019

Huge swarms out here in the desert. Unreal.

by Anonymousreply 803/12/2019

Yes, saw a bunch yesterday and today in BH.

by Anonymousreply 903/12/2019

I saw a large blueish-purple butterfly in the Central Valley and a Rose Ring Parakeet snatched her. Why are these tropical birds such assholes?

Last night I saw a firefly for the first time in years. Mother nature is finally rewarding us for putting us through the ringer for so long.

by Anonymousreply 1003/12/2019

Yes, thousands have been swarming the freeways all day... sadly, think about how many of them have had their migrations ended because of that.

by Anonymousreply 1103/12/2019

Painted Lady Butterflies are the WHORES of the Butterfly world.

by Anonymousreply 1203/12/2019

I take this to be a good Omen. California is going to see better days. Right? RIGHT????

by Anonymousreply 1303/12/2019

How do you interpret that parrot eating one, r13?

by Anonymousreply 1403/12/2019

[quote]How do you interpret that parrot eating one, [R13]?

California is going to snatch the presidency ????

by Anonymousreply 1503/12/2019

It was a bit stagey but Goldie Hawn was funny and Eileen Heckart got a supporting actress award back when those meant something.

by Anonymousreply 1603/12/2019

I was in the Carrizo Plain yesterday to see the spring Superbloom, and the butterflies were there! Many butterflies, all Painted Ladies as far as I could tell, and all madly flying north against the wind. This was about 150 miles north of the LA Basin, so the butterfly migration has reached that far,

Not to Northern California, though, so far the only butterfly I've seen near home was a single Cabbage White. But then Spring may have arrived over the last few days but she's barely awake, still in her nightgown and desperate for coffee, so to speak.

by Anonymousreply 1703/14/2019

OP, they're so flighty-- just SoCal butterflies.

by Anonymousreply 1803/14/2019

In the desert surrounding Palm Springs it is a butterfly festival. Thousands are flying around. They come in waves and are all headed in the same direction, Northwest. All the same kind, medium sized, orange and black. I am out supervising a project overlooking PS in the native desert and it's wonderful. The desert is blooming like crazy and the butterflys are amazing!

by Anonymousreply 1903/14/2019

On Tuesday here in the San Gabriel Valley there was a steady stream of them going through the parking lot for several hours. It was like a butterfly superhighway.

by Anonymousreply 2003/14/2019

Sounds lovely, OP

by Anonymousreply 2103/14/2019

I was in Denver at the end of September, 2017, and I noticed that all the butterflies were Painted Ladies. I photograph butterflies as a hobby, and while I saw hundreds of thousands of painted ladies, even dozens on a single bush, they were the only species I saw. It was like there was only one kind of butterfly in the world!

Some time later, I found that I had been in the middle of a painted lady migration so huge, that clouds of butterflies had shown up on military radar and puzzled the hell out of everyone on the monitors. They wondered if it was a new kind of terrorist activity, but it was just billions of butterflies!

by Anonymousreply 2203/14/2019

And the same excellent website has an article on this year's butterfly "irruption".

I hope the butterfly invasion comes through my town, when I'm able to get out and enjoy it.

by Anonymousreply 2303/14/2019
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!