Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do you have a favorite butterfly?

Butterflies are not affiliated with buttercups nor butterfingers nor even butter. All are descended from a single brown moth of 50 million years ago, that fled the night due to the rise of the bat.

Butterflies make love to their favorite flower through their prodigious proboscis. They carry pollen from one flower to another.

The monarch butterfly likes to winter in Sunny Mexico. It commonly takes 4 generations to make the return trip before returning home. How could the later generations know where to return to?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85September 15, 2018 7:03 PM

I love them ALL!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 29, 2018 4:37 AM

R1 I LOVE that movie. Very few people have heard of it.

by Anonymousreply 2April 29, 2018 4:43 AM

Painted ladies fly from Scandinavia, south, across the Sahara to the tropics. It is the longest insect migration known. They travel thousands of more miles than the Monarch. They live on every continent except Antarctica, which has no butterflies.

The monarch has traveled in to the International Space Station, but they took a shuttle. It is not on their normal route.

by Anonymousreply 3April 29, 2018 4:53 AM

Next week, I will ask about your favorite bat.

by Anonymousreply 4April 29, 2018 4:56 AM

McQueen

by Anonymousreply 5April 29, 2018 5:06 AM

Madama Butterfly.

by Anonymousreply 6April 29, 2018 5:16 AM

Most people that love butterflies, hate the caterpillars. The worms are horrible and eat the parsley, until they become the beautiful butterflies.

by Anonymousreply 7April 29, 2018 5:24 AM

The Leanira Checkerspot, the rarest butterfly that's ever posed for my camera.

No, really, I like to photograph wildlife and butterflies are my favorite subjects!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8April 29, 2018 5:33 AM

How can you pick a favorite?

by Anonymousreply 9April 29, 2018 5:43 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 29, 2018 5:51 AM

Tony WoodardIs a poet!

by Anonymousreply 11April 29, 2018 6:01 AM

I know, R2: GREAT movie!! Any other unknowns you can recommend?

by Anonymousreply 12April 29, 2018 6:15 AM

Mothman

by Anonymousreply 13April 29, 2018 6:42 AM

I’ve always fancied the Venus Butterfly myself. It’s very popular in certain circles...

by Anonymousreply 14April 29, 2018 9:34 AM

My favorite butterfly that I see locally is the Zebra Swallowtail. Their host plant is the pawpaw tree, which I have growing in my back yard. They come and lay eggs on the trees, but ravenous song birds usually devour the caterpillars before they develop into butterflies. I suppose there are enough hidden pawpaw trees where I live that can bring their pupae to fruition, since I see them every lear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 29, 2018 12:01 PM

And, if we're talking about "in general", there's nothing more beautiful than the Blue Morpho. I have a framed one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 29, 2018 12:03 PM

Love is like a butterfly.

by Anonymousreply 17April 29, 2018 12:07 PM

What the Venus actually entailed was never disclosed.

by Anonymousreply 18April 29, 2018 2:34 PM

I grew up seeing caterpillar tents everywhere (late 60s early 70s). I’ve seen just one caterpillar about 5 years ago and maybe two butterflies a year. I still live in the same area.

by Anonymousreply 19April 29, 2018 2:43 PM

The beautiful Monarch butterfly. Although I don't see them as much as I did when I was a kid growing up.

by Anonymousreply 20April 29, 2018 2:45 PM

Gorgeous Monarch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 29, 2018 2:46 PM

R12, Let me do some mulling and I'll get back to you.

In the meantime, I saw a butterfly come out of a cocoon in our office. We thought it was a dirt lump, then all of a sudden there was a gorgeous brown butterfly with two bright blue spots on its wings on the floor. It was such a weird and lovely surprise.

by Anonymousreply 22April 29, 2018 3:20 PM

The Monarch is having trouble as it lives off of one plant, the milkweed. It makes its vacation trips to Mexico to breed like a college student on Spring Break, but does so by hop scotching from milkweed meadows to milkweed meadows, and these sites are being destroyed by human developments.

“Hmm, I could swear there was a milkweed meadow around here somewhere, just three generations ago.” Said mother Monarch.

So, the Monarch family is under stress and people are encouraged to plant milkweed with a big sign saying “Monarchs Welcome.”

by Anonymousreply 23April 29, 2018 3:45 PM

People I know love caterpillars as long as they know they will get a butterfly and not a moth. It’s like Mystery Date and nobody wants the “dud”, accept after they reach puberty, when the “dud” starts looking kinda sexy.

by Anonymousreply 24April 29, 2018 3:49 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25April 29, 2018 3:54 PM

You bitches are slipping.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26April 29, 2018 4:01 PM

I bough 8 common milkweed plants last year. Planted, tended them. Lots of butterfly eggs. Hooray! Next day, holes where the eggs were and ants everywhere. And tiny little shiny wasps. Saw one caterpillar. Looked up the developmental stage and it was a caterpillar that had about two more stages to go through. Gone the next day and I saw birds hopping around in my little milkweed patch.

So I went online and found out that no, you can’t just plant common milkweed and expect to get butterflies. Not. Gonna. Happen.

You need to plant lots of milkweed and then you have to cut off a leaf when you see eggs on it. Then take the leaves into your house and put them in an aquarium. Then you need to put more milkweed leaves in the aquarium as food for the caterpillars once the caterpillars leave the egg.

But....that doesn’t guarantee success. Lots of monarch caterpillars carry a virus that kill it before it becomes a butterfly. I kept reading and people talked about having a ton of “cats” but only getting two butterflies because of all the viruses and the waspy things that lay eggs inside caterpillars. It’s like a fucking full time job! Who has time for that except lonely old widows?

Damn. They make it sound so easy. Help the monarchs.....plant the milkweed and you will get butterflies. Oh...did we mention you need to have an aquarium and a screen top for it and tons and tons of milkweed leaves you need to cut from the plants...

And...the plants all died in August from some weird disease where they all turned brown and wet and then shriveled up into nothing. Never made any seed pods, even though the plants I bought were a few years old.

by Anonymousreply 27April 29, 2018 5:07 PM

Miss Tessie Tura.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28April 29, 2018 5:12 PM

Have been a butterfly enthusiast for many years, each season I plant flowers known to be particularly attractive to them. I do my best to cultivate Butterfly Weed(the orange, flattop milkweed) to encourage the caterpillars, but I think the hordes of bright yellow aphids that always show up deter egg-laying.

I do better planting parsley family herbs, so I can watch the Swallowtails to their job.

My favorite butterfly is the Mourning Cloak, called Camberwell Beauty in the UK. It's not the brightest or most distinctive butterfly, but it it easily recognized since no other butterfly(to my knowledge) looks anything quite like it. Look for it in early Spring, since it overwinters as an adult.

If you're going to grow flowers to attract butterflies, make the plantings as large as possible, of the more old-fashioned single-flowered types. Colors are not important, butterflies have infra-red vision to see markings on flower petals invisible to unaided human eyes. As flowers fade, prune them to encourage more blooms, and try to plant things that will give you a succession of bloom from Spring through Fall.

by Anonymousreply 29April 29, 2018 8:02 PM

I have Monarchs in my backyard. But, they are endangered bc of pesticides, now.

I like the blue butterfly that was posted. Why did you kill it you psycho DLer? What is wrong with you?

by Anonymousreply 30April 29, 2018 8:19 PM

R30, I didn't kill it. I bought it, already framed from an entomologist in SF who has an Etsy shop.

by Anonymousreply 31April 29, 2018 8:40 PM

I was fortunate to grow up in a garden full of Cabbage Whites & Tortoiseshells.

by Anonymousreply 32April 29, 2018 8:48 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33April 29, 2018 10:42 PM

I was inspired to acquire a Blue Morpho after remembering this scene from 'Papillon'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34April 29, 2018 10:44 PM

They farm the blue morpho commercial in Costa Rica for butterfly gardens all around the world. It’s not a terrible thing to buy them framed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35April 29, 2018 10:48 PM

do not kill butterflies and stop using pesticides. Sit in your front yard/porch and only serve wine and cocktails to those who are organic. MAKE A STAND.

by Anonymousreply 36April 29, 2018 11:26 PM

I like going into the butterfly pavilions that they have at zoos and museums now. They have one at the natural history museums in NYC and DC, IIRC. They also have one at the Boston Zoo that is affilliated with the Stone Zoo, of Stoneham, MA. The Christmas Moose gave me a private tour and all it cost me was a bag of peanuts, and I got to pet his schnoz, too.

They fill the pavilions with fresh fruit and a lot of the butterflies seem transfixed by the cornucopia of sweetness.

by Anonymousreply 37April 29, 2018 11:39 PM

I have a few monarchs in my back yard. I always love seeing them. They really make me happy.

Really nice thread, Op.

No pesticides, only organic.

by Anonymousreply 38April 29, 2018 11:50 PM

My sister planted a butterfly bush, and it worked immediately. I have no idea of the bush’s name, or the variety of butterflies that arrived, but there were a lot of them. They were delightful.

by Anonymousreply 39April 29, 2018 11:52 PM

Can you find out for us [R39]? Thanks

by Anonymousreply 40April 30, 2018 12:16 AM

I planted a Pipevine (Aristolochia macrophylla) at my brother's house a long time ago to help cover a chain-link fence that surrounds his pool to provide some privacy. It was a popular vine to plant in Victorian times, but is now very uncommon. It's the host plan for the Pipevine Swallowtail, a gorgeous black butterfly with blue and orange markings. Even though the closest native Pipevines are found in neighboring states, after a few years, they showed up, and we found lots of their black caterpillars feeding on the pipevine, and ended up with lots of Pipevine Swallowtails every year since then. My (straight) older brother isn't all that attuned to nature, but he still tells me when "those black butterflies" shows up, because he knows I'll stop by to see them.

by Anonymousreply 41April 30, 2018 12:22 AM

Forgot my intended link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42April 30, 2018 12:22 AM

[quote] R40: Can you find out for us [[R39]]? Thanks

I have asked. I will report back when I hear.

by Anonymousreply 43April 30, 2018 1:25 AM

I like a fat wailing butterfly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44April 30, 2018 1:37 AM

Isn’t “Butterfly” a Mexican slur for a Gay person? “Mariposa”?

by Anonymousreply 45April 30, 2018 1:41 AM

Maricon, r45.......

by Anonymousreply 46April 30, 2018 1:46 AM

Sometimes in a butterfly pavilion, a butterfly or two or more will find a particular person to be really attractive and they will alright on that person, who then gets stuck in the pavilion and can’t leave until the butterflies lose interest and fitter off. It’s funny to see.

by Anonymousreply 47April 30, 2018 1:47 AM

Poor butterfly.........

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48April 30, 2018 1:48 AM

It’s Mariposa. Maricon also means “faggot”, but does not also mean butterfly. Mariposa also is Spanish slang for whore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49April 30, 2018 1:50 AM

Moths can be pretty too

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50April 30, 2018 1:50 AM

That’s Mothra, R50, he doesn’t count.

by Anonymousreply 51April 30, 2018 1:53 AM

Why hasn't the name Cecropia caught on?

by Anonymousreply 52April 30, 2018 1:53 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53April 30, 2018 1:54 AM

Miami Blue.

by Anonymousreply 54April 30, 2018 2:02 AM

My sister does not know the proper name for the “butterfly bush”, or the varieties of butterflies it beckons. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 55April 30, 2018 12:43 PM

[quote] Buddleja, or Buddleia, commonly known as the butterfly bush, is a genus comprising over 140 species of flowering plants endemic to Asia, Africa, and the Americas.

You can google “butterfly bush”.

I bet Home Depot sells a generic variety as a “Butterfly Bush” and no one working there knows anything more than that it attracts butterflies, which is all my sister cares about. She said hers works great. She’s had one, at her former and current home, each. Maybe a gardening center would have a variety of these bushes, and ones best suited to your climate and butterfly stock.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56April 30, 2018 1:19 PM

The butterfly bush is a perennial. I may buy one and see if it works on my rooftop, 4 stories up, in a pot, and survives the seasons. I otherwise don’t have any perennials.

by Anonymousreply 57April 30, 2018 3:19 PM

For those wanting to grow buddleias in pots, keep an eye out for the smaller types that grow to just 3to 5 feet, much easier to deal with. They ARE butterfly magnets, but remember, this is just a nectar source, which butterflies DO need, but won't lay eggs on. If you want to encourage egg-laying, you'll need to grow plants that are frequented by various species for that purpose: Carrot family for swallowtails, milkweeds for monarchs, etc. Check out butterfly-rearing websites, you'll find a host of valuable information.

by Anonymousreply 58May 4, 2018 1:23 AM

Blue Morpho

And the

Rainbow butterfly

by Anonymousreply 59May 4, 2018 1:54 AM

Thank you, Bronzie.

by Anonymousreply 60May 4, 2018 11:02 PM

This is my favorite, he's on the left. Butterfly works at Le Lipstique. He's been there the longest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61May 4, 2018 11:31 PM

Have seen TWO swallowtail butterflies in the last three days, never knew they could appear so early in the year. I did some research which said that swallowtails can overwinter as chrysalises/pupae. Both butterflies seemed stunted on one side of a hindwing, and one appeared unable to open its wings that were held closed over its body. Genetic malformation? Lack of food source? Winter damage? Hopefully others will be in the area and attracted to some parsley plants that have overwintered well, and should provide prime egg-laying locations.

Off topic: Have not seen any honeybees this Spring, and I am concerned. We've had apple, cherry, pear, maple and holly trees in bloom, and they have always been reliable nectar sources for honeybees, but this year the trees have been bee-less. I hope orchard trees are faring better, or it's going to be a rather fruitless year.

by Anonymousreply 62May 8, 2018 11:51 PM

Butterfly McQueen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63May 9, 2018 12:02 AM

They are so cute when they're babies. Look like little furry worms. Butterflies, lady bugs and fireflies are the only insects I like.

by Anonymousreply 64May 9, 2018 12:07 AM

[R55] Thanks for checking and getting back to us. Have to ask at a plant nursery.

by Anonymousreply 65May 9, 2018 12:07 AM

R64, what about the Praying Mantis? When I was growing up, they were rare enough that seeing one was like getting the brass ring.

by Anonymousreply 66May 30, 2018 6:26 PM

Went to the Butterfly Pavilion at the London Natural History Museum. This is a cross post from the “Solo in London” thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67May 30, 2018 6:27 PM

Another vote for the Blue Morpho.

by Anonymousreply 68May 30, 2018 6:35 PM

See, they migrate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69July 27, 2018 2:52 AM

You, baby. You.

by Anonymousreply 70July 27, 2018 2:55 AM

It's the Monarch but some days he's just too much of a pill.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71July 27, 2018 3:28 AM

Last choice ftw

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72July 27, 2018 3:52 AM

^^Zorak!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73July 27, 2018 8:08 AM

[quote] The worms are horrible and eat the parsley, until they become the beautiful butterflies.

Are you sure they weren't eating the cilantro?

by Anonymousreply 74July 27, 2018 9:25 AM

Song Liling

by Anonymousreply 75July 27, 2018 1:18 PM

I was in Denver, Colorado, at the start of October 2017. It was fall up in the mountains so I was surprised to see that Denver itself was chockablock with butterflies - there seemed to be a butterfly on every flower and several on flowering shrubs, I'd see dozens on the larger bushes. When I looked close I was even more surprised to see that they were all the same species - the Painted Lady (vanessa cardui).

Then this summer I found this article, which said that the butterflies I'd seen were part of an unusually large migration of Painted Ladies, clouds of butterflies were actually showing up on the local military radar and mystifying the guys who were looking out for invasions or terrorists incursions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76July 28, 2018 2:31 AM

blue moth

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77July 28, 2018 11:37 AM

Acherontia styx

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78July 28, 2018 1:05 PM

R77, did you embroider that?! It would make a very nice serviette.

by Anonymousreply 79July 28, 2018 3:40 PM

OMG the poster who has the framed butterflies, I remember several years ago when I was redecorating, those shots of your house totally inspired me!!!!! I think it was a thread on collecting china or perfume bottles. I go visit in SF every year and an always in that same bug shop, and I always think of that pretty wall you have with the framed butterflies. It’s sweet that you’re still here too love!

by Anonymousreply 80July 28, 2018 4:05 PM

So-mo bow-floo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81July 28, 2018 9:41 PM

R80, Yes, that's me. I posted my fragrance collection on a great thread about favorite colognes: if you click on that butterfly photo above, it's actually also on the Imgur URL. I think I posted most of the photos of my house on this thread (Color in Design), which I really enjoyed. Kisses for remembering!

Anyway, I have a couple of sand vines climbing through some shrubs in my yard, and I've been meaning to tear them out. It's a weedy annual vine in the milkweed family, with uninteresting leaves and small white flowers. Once the flowers are pollinated, they develop into characteristic milkweed pods, full of seeds and silk. But I noticed several monarch butterflies visiting the flowers today, so I'll grant them a reprieve.

R16

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82July 28, 2018 11:27 PM

Th biggest problem for monarchs are tachinid flies. They parasitize monarch caterpillars. The caterpillars seem fine, then they form a chrysalis, which looks fine. But the chrysalis turns black and shrivels up. Instead of a monarch, you get tachinid flies or tachinid maggots. The flies are considered “beneficial” insects b cause they kill caterpillars on farm crops. Well...guess where butterflies come from?

It’s very hard to raise monarchs outdoors. Only about 1-5% survive. Everyone blames pesticides when it’s actualky organic farmers who are responsible for the increased killing of monarchs. . It’s politically incorrect to blame any “organic” reason for the problem, though.

I found two monarch chrysalises today - the first I’ve ever seen on my property & they’re both from a swamp milkweed. One chrysalis is on the plant itself and one is under a railing on my deck that the swamp milkweed blooms against.

There are 3 monarch caterpillars in my backyard on common milkweed. They’re pretty big. And they’re pooping like crazy. But I don’t know if they’ll make chrysalises. The only plants nearby are my neighbors privet hedges and trying to see a chrysalis in a 150 ft privet hedge would be a little too difficult for me.

by Anonymousreply 83September 13, 2018 1:37 AM

So I was excited that I have 4 monarch. chrysalises and a caterpillar. One of the chrysalises opened 5his morning and a beautiful monarch emerged. It pumped its wings to dry, took off and fell. Then it tried to fly again about an hour later and fell some more. It’s been over 3 hours now. It only takes 30 min-2hours for the wings to dry, so it looks as if this beautiful butterfly has OE, a parasite, and is too weak to fly. It’s very sad. The first time I’ve ever had a chrysalis and then a butterfly emerge.

I guess all 3 of the other chrysalises will have a similar fate. Beautiful butterflies will emerge and not be able to fly

by Anonymousreply 84September 15, 2018 6:34 PM

The Mary-est post title of all time!

by Anonymousreply 85September 15, 2018 7:03 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!