Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Report: Marvel Wants an Openly Gay Actor to Lead The Eternals

If Marvel Studios plans on releasing any new movies next year, pre-production will have to begin soon. If there’s any truth to this latest rumor, The Eternals may be the first film on the docket. The Hashtag Show is reporting that Marvel is currently looking for an actor to play the film’s lead. According to the studio’s criteria, the actor must be someone who falls in the 30-49 age range and “physically looks like a superhero.” Moreover, Marvel would prefer it if the actor were openly gay.

The Hashtag Show also cited Kevin Feige’s comments when Ant-Man and the Wasp was released last summer. During press runs for that movie, Feige revealed that Marvel was looking to introduce an LGBTQ character in a future MCU film. However, he didn’t specify which one. Whoever the character is, it will continue the studio’s push toward a more diverse and inclusive cinematic landscape. It will mark the first time that a LGBTQ character has co-headlined a Marvel Studios production. A number of characters have fallen under THE ETERNALS‘ banner since Jack Kirby created the comic in 1976. Supposedly, the flim’s lineup will include Sersi and Ikaris. Director Chloe Zhao is also rumored to be considering The Umbrella Academy’s Cameron Britton and polish actor Tomasz Kot for roles in the film. But for now, there are no firm details.

Zhao is directing The Eternals from a script co-written by Matthew and Ryan Firpo. The film is allegedly targeting a September production start in the UK. Do you have any theories about which character Marvel is planning to cast? Tell us what you think in the comment section below!

Read more at:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600September 8, 2019 8:55 PM

Why so old ? I wish they would pick someone younger

by Anonymousreply 1March 2, 2019 1:51 AM

Thomasz Kit makes my loins quiver.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2March 2, 2019 1:53 AM

Kot! Damn autocorrect!!!

by Anonymousreply 3March 2, 2019 1:54 AM

So who are the openly gay actors in the age range, look like a super hero and have a modicum of name recognition. It's basically Matt Bomer and...?

by Anonymousreply 4March 2, 2019 2:00 AM

Hopefully a hot Instagram model jock

by Anonymousreply 5March 2, 2019 2:05 AM

Luke Evans, your role is ready!

by Anonymousreply 6March 2, 2019 2:09 AM

Daniel Newman

by Anonymousreply 7March 2, 2019 2:11 AM

The ones that look superhero-ish and in the right age range:

Matt Bomer, Luke Macfarlane, Matt Dallas, Luke Evans, Cheyenne Jackson, Andrew Hayden-Smith, Scott Evans, Simon Woods

by Anonymousreply 8March 2, 2019 2:13 AM

R6 Immortals was practically his demo reel for it, lol.

by Anonymousreply 9March 2, 2019 2:38 AM

Oh, Jakey, Jakey, Jakey. Come out, come out wherever you are. Only if they mean [italic]gay[/italic] gay, of course. You are not an initialism.

by Anonymousreply 10March 2, 2019 2:49 AM

What about Quinto? Wentworth Miller?

Matt Bomer would be fantastic. Love (looking at) him

by Anonymousreply 11March 2, 2019 3:04 AM

Lee Pace!

by Anonymousreply 12March 2, 2019 3:08 AM

Bomer has a DC movie coming out, so I guess not him.

by Anonymousreply 13March 2, 2019 3:20 AM

Julian Morris. Duh.

Oh, but he'd have to be [italic]out[/italic] out. You can do that, can't you, Julian?

by Anonymousreply 14March 2, 2019 3:26 AM

For a second I forgot I was on the DL.

Did r1 just call 30-49 so old? On [italic]this[/italic] board?

by Anonymousreply 15March 2, 2019 3:35 AM

Matt Dallas

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16March 2, 2019 3:40 AM

[quote]Matt Bomer, Luke Macfarlane, Matt Dallas, Luke Evans, Cheyenne Jackson, Andrew Hayden-Smith, Scott Evans, Simon Woods

Are they looking for someone who can actually act? If so, a few of these names has to come off.

by Anonymousreply 17March 2, 2019 3:42 AM

Andrew K-B or Hunter R-H. Or both.

by Anonymousreply 18March 2, 2019 3:44 AM

Wilson Cruz wants to throw his hat into the ring for this part

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19March 2, 2019 3:45 AM

Ben Whishaw, hit the gym!

by Anonymousreply 20March 2, 2019 3:48 AM

Hey Marvel, want to help a brother out?

by Anonymousreply 21March 2, 2019 3:49 AM

Since Matt Bomer is on a DC TV series right now

Luke MacFarlane is the obvious choice, especially with his current series having wrapped up after 5 seasons.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22March 2, 2019 3:49 AM

Get my agent on the phone!

by Anonymousreply 23March 2, 2019 3:50 AM

Just make a movie and cast all the hot gay actors.

by Anonymousreply 24March 2, 2019 3:51 AM

If you guys get a gay superhero, they better give us a lesbian Elsa.

by Anonymousreply 25March 2, 2019 3:58 AM

Watch them all come BURSTING out of the closet!

Well played, Marvel.

by Anonymousreply 26March 2, 2019 3:59 AM

I don't think there is a more obvious gay choice to play an action star. I mean c'mom bitches.

by Anonymousreply 27March 2, 2019 4:05 AM

[22] Luke Mcfarlane is a hottie

A lot of those actors are in the closet and will have to come out, many won't, then you have the fact a lot of them can't act, discount the fact that a couple dont have the beauty/body to be a superhero, in the end how many are left ?

by Anonymousreply 28March 2, 2019 4:19 AM

We don’t have much of a bench.

by Anonymousreply 29March 2, 2019 4:21 AM

How has no one said Russell Tovey?

by Anonymousreply 30March 2, 2019 4:26 AM

Daniel Newman, simon woods and lee pace are bi, not gay so they better not get the role that should go to a gay man. Plus they are at the bottom of of list in terms of appearance from the names listed. Pace is tall and relatively good looking- but not a stunner.

by Anonymousreply 31March 2, 2019 4:26 AM

Richard Armitage?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32March 2, 2019 4:39 AM

[quote]you have the fact a lot of them can't act

I think the real question is: who are they casting for?

They're liking taking a character that is normally straight and writing them as gay.

I think the likeliest person to do that with is Starfox since he's already been revealed to be bisexual and is Thanos' brother.

If that's the case they'd only need to be charming and handsome.

by Anonymousreply 33March 2, 2019 4:51 AM

"Richard Armitage?"

Isn't he back in the closet?

by Anonymousreply 34March 2, 2019 4:58 AM

It's a trick to get people to come out! I'm, er, I mean, those gays over there, yeah, those gays aren't that dumb!

by Anonymousreply 35March 2, 2019 5:01 AM

Col-ton! Col-ton!

by Anonymousreply 36March 2, 2019 5:01 AM

Charlie Carver

by Anonymousreply 37March 2, 2019 5:16 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38March 2, 2019 5:17 AM

Look R38, I as much as everyone wishes Nolan Gerard Funk was gay. Or at least out.

by Anonymousreply 39March 2, 2019 5:19 AM

For a marvel franchise, Nolan Funk would be the biggest cock sucker you've ever met.

by Anonymousreply 40March 2, 2019 5:24 AM

I found out who signed to play Gilgamesh but then I forgot.

by Anonymousreply 41March 2, 2019 5:38 AM

So the assumption is they would be playing Hercules, who is bisexual.

I wonder if there would be two cuts of the movie, one for for thr west, and one for China and similar places with gay references removed.

by Anonymousreply 42March 2, 2019 5:54 AM

Another vote for the best actor (by far) in the list, Luke Evans. He not only looks and fits the part of a superhero, he turns me on instantly.

My second choice would be Billy Magnussen, but I'm not sure if he's openly gay.

by Anonymousreply 43March 2, 2019 6:01 AM

Uh no R43 Billy is definitely not openly gay.

by Anonymousreply 44March 2, 2019 6:03 AM

Then sorry, Billy. lol

by Anonymousreply 45March 2, 2019 6:06 AM

Why is Chloe Zhao directing this? She's a very talented director, but this is not her forte. I'm sick of Marvel's new found PC bullshit pandering. Just hire the right person for the job and stick your quotas up your ass.

And get Chloe something that will actually show off her talent.

by Anonymousreply 46March 2, 2019 6:08 AM

Sam Heughan needs to come out.....again

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47March 2, 2019 6:15 AM

R46, the premise of The Eternals seems a bit more thoughtful than the stupid Avengers movies, so she'll be fine.

by Anonymousreply 48March 2, 2019 6:17 AM

Marvel was looking for an actor to play a gay character in The Eternals, and this actor was to be Trevor Donovan. However, after conversations, Marvel decided to choose an "openly gay actor" for the role.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49March 2, 2019 6:19 AM

Luke Evans, you say? Yes, please!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50March 2, 2019 6:27 AM

[quote]I'm sick of Marvel's new found PC bullshit pandering. Just hire the right person for the job and stick your quotas up your ass.

Or maybe, R46, they like her vision for the Eternals and she'll do fine because it's not just going to be a knock 'em down, punch 'em up movie?

They're not stupid. They know what they're doing. People once thought James Gunn was a weird choice (A HORROR MOVIE DIRECTOR!) for Guardians. The movies were hits.

[quote]However, after conversations, Marvel decided to choose an "openly gay actor" for the role.

This is Marvel/Disney totally responding to the criticism of them having their first gay Disney character and casting a straight actor.

by Anonymousreply 51March 2, 2019 6:28 AM

Obviously a response to Kit Harington calling out Marvel months ago

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52March 2, 2019 6:36 AM

I want Matt Bomer to be in a Marvel movie, but not play a gay character. Why does the gay actor only get the gay character?

by Anonymousreply 53March 2, 2019 7:52 AM

[quote]Why does the gay actor only get the gay character?

You've missed the point entirely. The lead character is GAY, so Marvel wants an openly gay actor to fill the role. Bomer and any other gay actors are welcome to audition for whichever male role they'd like, assuming they meet any other criteria set for those roles.

by Anonymousreply 54March 2, 2019 8:01 AM

Wouldn't it be great if his superpower's comes from swallowing come?

by Anonymousreply 55March 2, 2019 8:04 AM

Luke Evans is 40 years old, people.

by Anonymousreply 56March 2, 2019 8:09 AM

They should go with a masculine bisexual guy of color.

by Anonymousreply 57March 2, 2019 11:03 AM

Bisexual = boring twat who can't make up his mind, and will end up marrying a woman in the end. Doesn't deserve to work. I don't care how masculine or colorful he is.

by Anonymousreply 58March 2, 2019 11:06 AM

[quote]Why is Chloe Zhao directing this? She's a very talented director, but this is not her forte. [bold]I'm sick of Marvel's new found PC bullshit pandering.[/bold] Just hire the right person for the job and [bold]stick your quotas up your ass[/bold].

This applies to making a straight (and most likely, white) character gay.

by Anonymousreply 59March 2, 2019 11:15 AM

No please, he has to be 100% gay, masculine and white. This will be the first one, they can do femmes and POC later.

by Anonymousreply 60March 2, 2019 1:46 PM

Nope r60

by Anonymousreply 61March 2, 2019 1:48 PM

Only gays should be allowed in Hollywood or on Broadway. It’s ours, you breeders can’t have it anymore, especially you breeder bitches.

by Anonymousreply 62March 2, 2019 2:10 PM

Only gay stories are worth telling. Aunt Ida was not only right, but she didn’t go far enough.

by Anonymousreply 63March 2, 2019 2:11 PM

Watch Armie Hammer accidentally leak his sex tape with Timmy Chalamet as proof that he’s all about the bussy.

by Anonymousreply 64March 2, 2019 2:14 PM

How old is Zac Efron?

by Anonymousreply 65March 2, 2019 2:14 PM

Ahem

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66March 2, 2019 2:22 PM

Eternals seems like such an underwhelming property to follow a year with Captain Marvel, Avengers, and Spider-Man. Using an openly gay male lead for a gay male character will help promote the property, but they need a decent story and Eternals doesn't really have anything that stands out.

by Anonymousreply 67March 2, 2019 3:02 PM

Yes, R61.

by Anonymousreply 68March 2, 2019 3:20 PM

“Story story story” is bullshit bullshit bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 69March 2, 2019 3:35 PM

Yes, r46, and to add to r51's response, Taika Waititi (who did a quirky tv show and small quirky films) delivered the very successful Thor: Ragnarok.

r56- they wanted an actor up to 49 years old. Luke is fine.

by Anonymousreply 70March 2, 2019 4:16 PM

Yeah but Luke Evans looks 49 already. They definitely want someone on the other end of the age range since sequels will be expected.

And who the hell is Lee Pace? I’ve never heard of this guy outside of Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 71March 2, 2019 4:22 PM

Robert Downey Jr, Jeremy Renner, Paul Rudd and Mark Ruffalo were all around Luke Evan's age when they came aboard Marvel.

by Anonymousreply 72March 2, 2019 4:24 PM

[quote]And who the hell is Lee Pace?

Just some guy I was on a TV show with a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 73March 2, 2019 4:32 PM

Luke Evans would be a great choice indeed.

R64 Armie is straight, get that into your head and at least namedrop a gay actor.

by Anonymousreply 74March 2, 2019 4:34 PM

How about Dino Fetscher? He just turned 30.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75March 2, 2019 4:37 PM

Lee has already participated in the Marvel Universe as a villain, so he's out:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76March 2, 2019 4:57 PM

I'll take it.

by Anonymousreply 77March 2, 2019 5:00 PM

My vote's for Dino! He's gay, he's hot, he's a bottom with a big dick, and he's into scifi/horror cosplay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78March 2, 2019 5:08 PM

Um. Where does it say they want a GAY character? What I saw in the article was more "LGBTQIA-EXPIALADOCIOUS" fuckery.

Mark my words. The character will not be exclusively gay. He will be bi/pan/fluid. Count on it.

These shows never have the balls to just show gay men. They want to make them bi/pan/fluid do they can win diversity points, but most of their serious relationships will be with women.

by Anonymousreply 79March 2, 2019 5:10 PM

Dan Amboyer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80March 2, 2019 5:22 PM

[quote]According to the studio’s criteria, the actor must be someone who falls in the 30-49 age range and “physically looks like a superhero.” Moreover, Marvel would prefer it if the actor were openly gay.

This is a gender neutral description. What if they're looking for an openly lesbian actor?

by Anonymousreply 81March 2, 2019 5:30 PM

I would like to nominate the most openliest gay actor that DL knows and loves. Someone who has already shown us his adept use of superpowers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82March 2, 2019 5:31 PM

[quote]Matt Bomer, Luke Macfarlane, Matt Dallas, Luke Evans, Cheyenne Jackson, Andrew Hayden-Smith, Scott Evans, Simon Woods

[quote]Are they looking for someone who can actually act? If so, a few of these names has to come off.

Well, based on the current crop of extremely successful Marvel actors, I'd say that acting is not a requirement - Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth.

As they told Greg Brady, they mostly got the part because they fit the suit.

by Anonymousreply 83March 2, 2019 5:32 PM

True about the acting. All the actor needs to be is relatively charismatic and in shape, as there's a lot of running and jumping in front of green screens.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84March 2, 2019 6:06 PM

Will NEVER EVER happen. Marvel will NEVER introduce a gay (male) character. If they introduce a queer character it will either be trans or lesbian. They have plenty of lesbians on their shows (Agents of SHIELD, Jessica Jones and the list goes on and on), however they have never had a gay male character. They are scared shitless their homophobic fanboys will abandon them if they do. You see lesbians are a turn on for the homophobic bigots, hot lesbians are fine. They will never introduce a gay male character because the risk is way too high.

by Anonymousreply 85March 2, 2019 8:52 PM

Well if they're looking for LGBTQAZXVEW then yeah they'll probably pick the safest which usually is bisexual/lesbian

by Anonymousreply 86March 2, 2019 9:02 PM

Did you not read the thread, R85? The studio heads had picked Trevor Donovan for the lead role but then decided to go with an openly gay man.

They're obviously casting for the role of Ikaris.

by Anonymousreply 87March 2, 2019 9:13 PM

I am supposed to believe that Trevor Donovan was cast to lead a marvel franchise?

Yep, I don't believe that for not one second.

by Anonymousreply 88March 2, 2019 9:15 PM

Eva Green also is rumored to be in consideration for a major role in the film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89March 2, 2019 9:30 PM

Eva Green would be a perfect Sersi.

R88, some people would have said the same for Chris Evans or Robert Downey Jr.

R85, Please, they will cast an openly gay actor to play a gay character and never ever mention it except for a single moment where they make a veiled reference to liking dick. That's how they'll do it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90March 2, 2019 9:46 PM

[quote] some people would have said the same for Chris Evans or Robert Downey Jr.

...How are the two remotely comparable? Evans and Downey Jr were movie stars.

Donovan is best known for a not that popular CW reboot of 90210 and the only thing he has been able to get cast in is Hallmark channel movies.

by Anonymousreply 91March 2, 2019 9:50 PM

Man, if Trevor had come out a decade ago he could've been cast.

by Anonymousreply 92March 2, 2019 9:55 PM

[quote]...How are the two remotely comparable? Evans and Downey Jr were movie stars.

Evans had a string of teen comedies and Downey Jr.'s legendary insurance cost just to do the film was well written about thanks to all of his personal fuck ups with drugs and alcohol.

Of course everyone forgot that once Iron Man started bringing the big bucks in.

by Anonymousreply 93March 2, 2019 9:56 PM

I seriously wish we could go back in time and snatch Tab Hunter from the dreary, unforgiving 50s. He would have been perfect.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94March 2, 2019 10:00 PM

Yes, of course I know those things r93. Your attempt to equate the career of Trevor Donovan with the career of Chris Evans or Robert Downey Jr pre-Marvel is just laughable, Donovan would murder someone to have those "string of teen comedies" (plus the FF movies), it isn't in the same universe.

by Anonymousreply 95March 2, 2019 10:01 PM

Who exactly is this gay character? Did I miss it?

by Anonymousreply 96March 2, 2019 10:01 PM

Sam "A Purse Falls Out When I Speak" Heughan, get your well-exposed arse out here!

by Anonymousreply 97March 2, 2019 10:03 PM

Jussie Smollett needs a role!

by Anonymousreply 98March 2, 2019 10:04 PM

Who? What? No. R95. Your attempt to think Marvel is above casting someone like Trevor Donavan because of his background is the problem.

They really do not give a damn if the person fits the character and is cheap. They cast Chris Pratt, previously known as dumb ass "Andy," from Parks & Rec as a lead in a major franchise.

This isn't "high art."

by Anonymousreply 99March 2, 2019 10:05 PM

You didn't miss it r96, there is no specific character attached to these rumors. Though from what I see the marvel fanboys think Hercules, as he has a lot some comic book history of being bisexual and based on the casting breakdown for a named remove male Greek God is a lead character in this movie.

by Anonymousreply 100March 2, 2019 10:07 PM

Darren Criss lost his chance with his " no more gay roles" comment last year.

by Anonymousreply 101March 2, 2019 10:11 PM

Henry Cavill, here is your chance to come out with panache.

by Anonymousreply 102March 2, 2019 10:14 PM

R82 = link posting fail

by Anonymousreply 103March 2, 2019 10:17 PM

Tomasz Kot is straight. He's married to a woman and has two kids with her.

by Anonymousreply 104March 2, 2019 10:18 PM

It is saying that he (and Cameron Britton) are attached to the film in different roles r104.

by Anonymousreply 105March 2, 2019 10:20 PM

Sam Heughan would be perfect for this, or the gay James Bond role.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106March 2, 2019 11:27 PM

Sam's too busy on Outlander and trying to make people think he's not gay.

His schedule is packed.

by Anonymousreply 107March 2, 2019 11:31 PM

So is his hole.

by Anonymousreply 108March 2, 2019 11:42 PM

Do you think it’s possible an actor could be cast in the role and come out as a result? It certainly would give the movie a lot of press before it even is released.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109March 3, 2019 1:24 AM

Would love to see that, though only if he's at least somewhat high profile.

by Anonymousreply 110March 3, 2019 1:27 AM

R109, And there would also be many members of the gay community (not just other openly gay actors) who have been out for years who would be annoyed.

I can already see the backlash from people annoyed that the actor "only" came out for a franchise paycheck.

It's also totally possible that they will find an out gay actor who can transform themselves into a physically fit hero. So maybe not someone who looks the part yet but could with some work.

by Anonymousreply 111March 3, 2019 1:29 AM

Poaching Superman to lead a marvel franchise and getting him to come out as part of the role would rule the internet. Are you listening Henry Cavill?

by Anonymousreply 112March 3, 2019 1:30 AM

No, that would lead to the possibility of gayness being accused as a divisive distraction instead of just seemlessly fitting in with the cast and story. The Michael Sam Error should never be repeated

by Anonymousreply 113March 3, 2019 1:30 AM

He's more of a Broadway actor but Matt Doyle could work for this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114March 3, 2019 1:31 AM

[quote]Sam "A Purse Falls Out When I Speak" Heughan, get your well-exposed arse out here!

[quote]Sam Heughan would be perfect for this, or the gay James Bond role.

He was openly gay before Outlander, when he was a theatre actor in England. Does that count?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115March 3, 2019 1:56 AM

No because he went back into the closet. He'd have to come out again for it to count R115

by Anonymousreply 116March 3, 2019 2:00 AM

What role?

Ikaris

Makkarri

Zuras

Gilgamesh

KRO?

by Anonymousreply 117March 3, 2019 4:43 AM

Jonathan Bailey

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118March 3, 2019 3:52 PM

Zac Efron

by Anonymousreply 119March 3, 2019 3:56 PM

Find some hot masculine dudes, even if unknowns

by Anonymousreply 120March 3, 2019 4:17 PM

Jonathan Bennett so he has something other than Mean Girls and Cupcake Wars to talk about.

by Anonymousreply 121March 3, 2019 6:00 PM

The thing about the Eternals is they are supposed to be powerful but also very attractive by human standards while their counterparts the Deviants are considered very ugly by human standards and most not anywhere near the level of power of that an Eternal has.

by Anonymousreply 122March 3, 2019 6:13 PM

Rami Malek: The Bug Eyed Gay

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123March 3, 2019 6:15 PM

That’s very un woke r122

by Anonymousreply 124March 3, 2019 6:16 PM

Once upon a time we’d have been clamoring for Cheyenne to win this role.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125March 3, 2019 6:24 PM

Need a real masculine bro in this

by Anonymousreply 126March 3, 2019 6:24 PM

It's what Jack Kirby created R124 almost just like how Nightcrawler from the X-Men is also part of a race that is demonic looking and considered ugly by human standards while the X-Man Angel is part of their counterpart race who are supposed to be angelic looking and attractive by human standards.

by Anonymousreply 127March 3, 2019 6:26 PM

They can go with a little known actor. Hemsworth was an Aussie soap actor, did AU Dancing With the Stars, and then had a brief role in the Star Trek reboot. Then he's Thor.

by Anonymousreply 128March 4, 2019 12:02 AM

I would not be surprised if it was a nobody.

by Anonymousreply 129March 4, 2019 12:07 AM

R129 it’s good business sense. Super hero movies tend to sell themselves; built in audience. Many will want to see the movie regardless of who stars in it. That means they can pay an unknown nothing. They do it all the time. Someone like Wonder Woman got paid like $50,000 for the first movie. It’s not until the sequels that the multi movie deal contracts allow them to make millions.

by Anonymousreply 130March 4, 2019 12:30 AM

I legitimately do not care if it ends up being a nobody, as long as HE is openly gay. People don't realize how huge that would be.

by Anonymousreply 131March 4, 2019 12:39 AM

They could easily just pull anyone from Broadway

by Anonymousreply 132March 4, 2019 12:41 AM

How will this make money? We've already seen that China cut all of the gay parts out of Bohemian Rhapsody, and so a movie like this will not get the critical renminbi.....plus the same anti-SJW crowd who brought down Last Jedi will undermine it in North America.

by Anonymousreply 133March 4, 2019 2:32 AM

R133, I suspect that the character won’t necessarily be gay, rather, Marvel wants to take the major step of casting an openly gay actor in the lead male role. I have to imagine that even China won’t have a problem with that (Islamic countries might be different). And I’m as anti-SJW as one can be, my experience with that crowd is that they’re rather libertarian: if the actor doesn’t go on and on about how oppressed he is/was & focuses on the film and giving a good performance, they’ll support him and the movie.

by Anonymousreply 134March 4, 2019 2:56 AM

I think they want to do a Chris Evans and go with someone in his mid-20s, so they have a decade or so of movies out of hi, if the franchise becomes huge.

Who's in his early-to-mid 20s, is gay, and perhaps willing to put out?

by Anonymousreply 135March 4, 2019 2:16 PM

They said they're looking for someone 30 to 49 R135

by Anonymousreply 136March 4, 2019 2:17 PM

It better be an American gay actor, otherwise it's a copout.

They should either go with one of the usual suspects (Boomer, Jackson, Quinto) or a nobody.

There are so many gay boys in Los Angeles alone. They could fill a football stadium times 10.

by Anonymousreply 137March 5, 2019 5:01 PM

Why would it be a copout? No one cares that Chris Hemsworth is originally from Australia and he's one of the most beloved Marvel actors now. What a silly thing to say. As if us overseas gay Marvel fans don't matter.

by Anonymousreply 138March 5, 2019 5:08 PM

[quote]What a silly thing to say. As if us overseas gay Marvel fans don't matter.

It has to be someone living in the US so the American public can see him.

by Anonymousreply 139March 5, 2019 5:21 PM

Matthew Risch. I saw him on Broadway and he was on Looking. He'd fill out the suit perfectly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140March 5, 2019 5:36 PM

[Quote]It better be an American gay actor, otherwise it's a copout.

[Quote]It has to be someone living in the US so the American public can see him.

Nothing you are saying makes any sense dear.

by Anonymousreply 141March 5, 2019 5:39 PM

Russell Tovey is delish.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142March 5, 2019 5:43 PM

Are they going for an all American boy look? If Trevor Donovan is the look they are gong for, it gives us a clear picture of the "look" they are going for.

Re foreign actors, If they must choose a foreign actor, at least choose someone who actually made the move to the USA and is grinding and hustling his little butt like everyone else in Los Angeles!

by Anonymousreply 143March 5, 2019 5:49 PM

Out has some ideas but completely misses the point

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144March 5, 2019 11:46 PM

Aren’t the Eternals inspired by the Greek Gods? So shouldn’t the actor look like a...Greek god?

by Anonymousreply 145March 6, 2019 12:08 AM

[bold]Top Marvel Executive: ‘The World Is Ready’ for a Gay Superhero in the MCU[/bold]

[quote]Marvel’s production chief Victoria Alonso says it’s time a gay superhero appears in the MCU franchise. “The world is ready, the world is ready,” Alonso told Variety at the Los Angeles premiere of “Captain Marvel.”

[quote]The subject of LGBTQ representation in the MCU has been a hot topic on Twitter this week after The Hashtag Show reported that Marvel was looking to make the lead superhero in the upcoming “Eternals” film gay and that the casting search has already begun.

[quote]Alonso stopped short of confirming the rumor, but said, “We are going to cast the best ‘Eternals’ cast that we can and when we’re ready to announce it we promise you we will.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146March 7, 2019 4:29 PM

[quote]She emphasized how committed Marvel is to diversity.

[quote]“Why wouldn’t we be? Why wouldn’t we be?” Alonso said. “I’m so passionate about this I’ve got to tell you. Our entire success is based on people that are incredibly different. Why wouldn’t we? Why would we only want to be recognized by only one type of person? Our audience is global, is diverse, is inclusive. If we don’t do it that way for them, we will fail. If we don’t put pedal to the metal on the diversity and the inclusivity, we will not have continued success. Our determination is to have that for all of the people out there watching our movies.”

by Anonymousreply 147March 7, 2019 4:30 PM

Although I cringe when I see people use "diversity" and "inclusive," she's right, at least partly, that the success of the MCU is due to the varied individuals on display in the films.

by Anonymousreply 148March 7, 2019 4:34 PM

Why do those words make you cringe? What words would you use when talking about movies that are too white and straight?

by Anonymousreply 149March 7, 2019 4:37 PM

Ben Whishaw

by Anonymousreply 150March 7, 2019 4:41 PM

Brian Jordan Alvarez wants the part

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151March 7, 2019 4:43 PM

Because I associate those words with rabid, clueless, ideologically driven SJWs. It's the same way I used cringe whenever Bush and his acolytes would use the word "resolve."

by Anonymousreply 152March 7, 2019 4:43 PM

r150 I'd love that but isn't he living his best life in Australia? Maybe a bucket of cash could change his mind. I wouldn't worry about his lack of muscles because there's not much that lab under the Disney castle can't do.

r152 Okay, but you're talking about your immediate emotional response; that's not an argument about why those words are inappropriate to use in that context. Again, you are free to offer alternatives with similar meanings. Though I doubt the whole world will start using those for the sole purpose of not triggering your emotional trauma.

by Anonymousreply 153March 7, 2019 4:48 PM

r151 NO. Not now, not ever. Keep that thirsty bitch away from this.

by Anonymousreply 154March 7, 2019 4:49 PM

Cody Fern

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155March 7, 2019 4:58 PM

Finn Wittrock

by Anonymousreply 156March 7, 2019 4:59 PM

[quote]Because I associate those words with rabid, clueless, ideologically driven SJWs. It's the same way I used cringe whenever Bush and his acolytes would use the word "resolve."

R148 / R152, the words "diversity" and "inclusive" existed prior to "SJWs" and if you don't like those words because they happen to use them, then that is 100% on you.

by Anonymousreply 157March 7, 2019 8:26 PM

r153, please point to where I said it was inappropriate to use those words.

r157, yep, it is 100% on me. Same as it's 100% on the people who cringe when others use "no problem" instead of "you're welcome."

And it's 100% on both of you for getting your panties in a bunch over me merely expressing my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 158March 7, 2019 9:29 PM

Kristen Stewart and Ben Whishaw

by Anonymousreply 159March 7, 2019 9:41 PM

R97, R106, R115 Sam Heughan can’t act his way out of soggy paper sack. You can see him thinking about hitting his marks, including that horrible head nodding thing he does, from a mile away. He’s the Anna Paquin of Outlander. Minus the award.

by Anonymousreply 160March 7, 2019 9:47 PM

Acting talent isn't a huge requirement to be in the MCU

by Anonymousreply 161March 7, 2019 9:50 PM

You got me there, R161, but I’m not sure he’s suited for any screen. Let alone a silver one.

by Anonymousreply 162March 7, 2019 9:58 PM

He can't be worse than Hemsworth at acting? Heughan is not out they want openly gay actor not closeted actor they already have hired many closeted actors for lead roles lol

by Anonymousreply 163March 7, 2019 10:07 PM

Cody Fern

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164March 7, 2019 10:09 PM

Daniel Newman, obviously:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165March 7, 2019 10:55 PM

I mean, why NOT Daniel Newman?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166March 7, 2019 10:55 PM

Clearly Daniel Newman should be in the running;

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167March 7, 2019 10:56 PM

Maybe Daniel Newman can get Tanner a bit part :-)

by Anonymousreply 168March 7, 2019 10:57 PM

Anything to avoid an openly gay actor R166/R167

by Anonymousreply 169March 7, 2019 10:59 PM

Huh, R169?? How is Daniel Newman not an openly gay actor? WTF are you saying?

by Anonymousreply 170March 7, 2019 11:04 PM

Daniel's bisexual

by Anonymousreply 171March 7, 2019 11:06 PM

HE'S GAY, DUMBASS. AND OPENLY SO.

Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 172March 7, 2019 11:07 PM

Really?

[quote]Daniel Newman, who first appeared on the hit AMC show last season, is opening up for the first time about being bisexual and how he hopes to inspire others who are struggling to be themselves.

[quote]“I don’t want to be hidden and have to dodge the question,” he tells PEOPLE of publicly revealing his sexuality. “I’m proud of who I am.”

[quote]“I grew up in a very conservative southern Georgia home, and it didn’t really matter what your sexuality was — it just wasn’t open conversation,” Newman says. “It was always, ‘Don’t talk about your private life,’ so I was so used to that. I didn’t really think about it really as hiding. I never thought of myself as being in a closet or hidden. It just was that I didn’t really feel like talking about my private life.”

[quote]“I’ve seen such a revolution in the last five years of the LGBT community — it’s been such a transformation. It’s gone from something that was a negative thing before to something that is so celebrated and a part of our culture now,” he continues. “Even though I felt before that I couldn’t talk about my private life, I was like, ‘You know what, this is something that everyone should be comfortable with, being 100 percent themselves and authentic.’ “

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173March 7, 2019 11:09 PM

The bi-hate on this forum is clearly irrational.

But more than that, this guy hangs with gay porn stars and is only connected with men, but somehow "isn't good enough" for the fucking puritopians.

Seriously what the fuck is wrong with you?

by Anonymousreply 174March 7, 2019 11:20 PM

Cool. I love bi dudes

by Anonymousreply 175March 7, 2019 11:34 PM

Cody Fern is gross and femme

Gross and femme guys do not sell tickets, especially outside North America and Europe

by Anonymousreply 176March 7, 2019 11:44 PM

R174 clearly a straight fat ugly girl

by Anonymousreply 177March 7, 2019 11:46 PM

R173 ‘bi’ who fucks nasty, trashy gay for pay pornstars, and ugly to boot. No thanks, sis.

by Anonymousreply 178March 8, 2019 1:25 AM

R178 hysterical bitter old queen alert

by Anonymousreply 179March 8, 2019 1:40 AM

R176 Gross and femme guys do not sell tickets

but people love them look at Chalamet and Sean Mendes

by Anonymousreply 180March 8, 2019 8:50 AM

Someone who apparently is Kevin Hart's body double (his words) wants to be the first gay hero

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181March 8, 2019 2:25 PM

Nice

by Anonymousreply 182March 8, 2019 2:26 PM

He's not what American people think as "Greek God", but he could pass for an actual Greek..Miguel Ángel Silvestre. Also has a hot bod and a decent actor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183March 8, 2019 4:31 PM

Hollywood needs to stop shoving heterosexuality in our faces in any context. I’m sick of it.

by Anonymousreply 184March 8, 2019 4:35 PM

Miguel Ángel Silvestre isn't gay though R183

by Anonymousreply 185March 8, 2019 4:42 PM

It needs to be Taylor Lautner. He can come out when they announce the casting. Plus they get extra points for his Café au lait-ness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186March 8, 2019 4:47 PM

Taylor's past his sell by date for hotness

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187March 8, 2019 4:49 PM

A personal trainer will whip him into shape in three months.

by Anonymousreply 188March 8, 2019 4:52 PM

That's a weird way to spell HGH r188.

by Anonymousreply 189March 8, 2019 5:25 PM

R189, :)

by Anonymousreply 190March 8, 2019 5:45 PM

[quote]Aren’t the Eternals inspired by the Greek Gods? So shouldn’t the actor look like a...Greek god?

Sam Heughan. And he can act.

A beautiful Gay God (in the closet):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191March 8, 2019 6:33 PM

The character is a blonde buff hemsworth type. Everyone else is a stretch. I’m annoyed that they’re basically looking for a gay stereotype. None of these people fit. Not Brian, def not Matthew risch (he’s too old and not fit enough). I would say Constantine rousouli but he’s too old and not good enough of an actor. I really have no idea who it would be.

by Anonymousreply 192March 8, 2019 6:34 PM

Zachary Quinto

by Anonymousreply 193March 8, 2019 6:58 PM

Van Hansis is 37, blond and perhaps he could buff up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194March 8, 2019 7:31 PM

Tyler Hanes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195March 8, 2019 7:42 PM

Me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196March 8, 2019 7:45 PM

Sorry Gandalf, even the best CGI can't make you look 30 - 49.

by Anonymousreply 197March 8, 2019 7:46 PM

Please hire me. I'll do almost anything you want.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198March 8, 2019 7:53 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199March 8, 2019 7:58 PM

R197 Why not?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200March 8, 2019 7:58 PM

Jay Armstrong Johnson

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201March 8, 2019 8:01 PM

How old is Wentworth Miller?

by Anonymousreply 202March 8, 2019 8:08 PM

R202 He's 46. Getting up there

by Anonymousreply 203March 8, 2019 8:09 PM

I'm ready for my close-up, Mr. Feige!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204March 8, 2019 10:18 PM

[quote]I think they want to do a Chris Evans and go with someone in his mid-20s, so they have a decade or so of movies out of hi, if the franchise becomes huge.

But Chris Evans was not in his twenties when he signed on to Marvel. Neither was Chris Pratt, Paul Rudd, Old Man Renner, or Rodan Downey Jr. The only one was was actually mid-20s was Chris Hemsworth who was 26 in Thor.

by Anonymousreply 205March 10, 2019 9:30 AM

Well since Arrow is ending.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206March 10, 2019 10:00 AM

Brock Yurich has the body and looks, and he's a decent enough actor by Marvel standards

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207March 10, 2019 6:35 PM

Brock is boss

by Anonymousreply 208March 10, 2019 7:35 PM

[bold]Angelina Jolie in Talks to Make Marvel Debut With 'The Eternals'[/bold]

[quote]While details about the movie are being kept under wraps, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that one aspect to the story involves the love story between Ikaris, a man fueled by cosmic energy, and Sersi, who relishes moving amongst humans. It is unclear who Jolie will play. Marvel had no comment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209March 28, 2019 12:50 AM

Ray Santiago is openly gay and has amazing abs. Loved him in Ash vs Evil Dead. Hopefully he auditions for this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210March 28, 2019 1:55 AM

Please, I hope Angelina Jolie isn't their idea of an "openly gay actor." And I hope that she passes -- I realize the Marvel movies aren't great art, but Jolie would still stink it up.

by Anonymousreply 211March 28, 2019 3:41 AM

I don't love Jolie as a person, but she is talented and would do great in whatever Marvel wanted her to do.

by Anonymousreply 212March 28, 2019 3:42 AM

Why do people like Marvel movies? All it seems to be about mediocre movies that share a universe.

by Anonymousreply 213March 28, 2019 3:43 AM

[quote] How old is Wentworth Miller?

Too old. And too camp.

by Anonymousreply 214March 28, 2019 3:51 AM

R209 no to Angelina.

R214 he was ok as Chris Redfield in Resident Evil. Even though he looks nothing like him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215March 28, 2019 4:28 AM

Jolie can't act and she's a closeted lezzie.

by Anonymousreply 216March 28, 2019 12:28 PM

R211 Please, I hope Angelina Jolie isn't their idea of an "openly gay actor."

Exactly. did she ever date a woman OPENLY? and when? she's a closet coward who promoted herself with her lavender marriages.

by Anonymousreply 217March 28, 2019 12:35 PM

I posted the Jolie news here because there's no dedicated Eternals thread. Of course she isn't the openly gay actor that Marvel is eventually going to cast.

by Anonymousreply 218March 28, 2019 12:38 PM

She probably has a supporting role.

by Anonymousreply 219March 28, 2019 12:41 PM

r219 You mean like Annette Bening in Captain Marvel? I can't see that as that's usually reserved for older actors.

by Anonymousreply 220March 28, 2019 12:43 PM

Cinema is dead.

by Anonymousreply 221March 28, 2019 12:47 PM

[Quote] She probably has a supporting role.

That's not any better.

by Anonymousreply 222March 28, 2019 3:05 PM

Lack of lead roles for trans people in Marvel films is literally killing thousands of transfolk a day.

by Anonymousreply 223March 28, 2019 3:10 PM

R223 Jolie looks trans is that enough or still a transface?

by Anonymousreply 224March 28, 2019 3:13 PM

We need an FTM to play The Hulk.

by Anonymousreply 225March 28, 2019 3:15 PM

MTFs look more masculine than FTMs

by Anonymousreply 226March 28, 2019 3:16 PM

Brian Jordan Alvarez has already auditioned and says he liked his audition.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227April 4, 2019 6:07 PM

R178 Tanner is [italic]not[/italic] nasty and trashy. He's divine!

by Anonymousreply 228April 4, 2019 6:13 PM

Sam Heughan would be perfect.

He only needs to come out again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229April 5, 2019 12:06 AM

r227 Nooo! I can't stand him.

Is there anything interesting in that article? NewNowNext is blocked for us euros and Google doesn't allow showing us the cached version either.

by Anonymousreply 230April 7, 2019 9:37 PM

Richard Madden!

by Anonymousreply 231April 7, 2019 9:39 PM

R230 The text of the article:

Avengers: Endgame is already setting box office records weeks before it even hits theaters—but fans are already looking to the next phase of Marvel movies, specifically when we can expect to see an openly queer Marvel superhero on the big screen.

At a recent press event in India, Endgame co-director Joe Russo told reporters that a LGTBQ superhero is “100%” coming to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and he added that audiences will see one “very soon.”

This adds fuel to the fire of rumors that Marvel is looking to cast an openly gay actor to play an out superhero in The Eternals, Marvel’s upcoming feature, set to be released next year.

As NewNowNext previously reported, the studio is searching for an actor, between the ages 30-49, who “physically looks like a superhero” for a lead in the upcoming feature-length movie. Marvel is said to be open to actors of all ethnicity, but would prefer the role to go to an openly gay actor. The Eternals is scheduled to begin filming in the U.K. in September, and run through January of next year.

Marvel’s production chief Victoria Alonso, at the premiere of Captain Marvel in Los Angeles, told Variety it’s time for a gay superhero, and that the world is ready.

“We are going to cast the best Eternals cast that we can, and when we’re ready to announce it, we promise you we will,” said Alonso.

We know one out actor who auditioned for a role in The Eternals: Brian Jordan Alvarez, who revealed to Queerty that he was “very happy” with his recent audition for the Marvel movie. Could he be the first actor to make the jump from Will & Grace to Marvel Comics?

by Anonymousreply 232April 7, 2019 9:40 PM

It is just Brian Jordan Alvarez desperately trying to drum up hype for himself.

by Anonymousreply 233April 7, 2019 9:41 PM

r232 Thanks! For some reason, I always assumed actors weren't allowed to discuss auditioning for these big Disney movies until the casting process is completed.

by Anonymousreply 234April 7, 2019 9:44 PM

Richard even has his own costume.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235April 7, 2019 9:49 PM

I'm wondering about the legality of this.

During the casting process in the US, can you actually refuse to hire an auditioning actor if he's straight or "only" bisexual? Do employment regulations allow bosses to discriminate based on an applicant's inner sexual orientation?

by Anonymousreply 236April 7, 2019 10:01 PM

Casting calls specify age, gender, and ethnicity all the time r236.

How is this different?

by Anonymousreply 237April 7, 2019 10:02 PM

Because sexual orientation is an INNER characteristic, not an OUTER one, R237.

"Age, sex, height, weight, and ethnicity" are about EXTERNAL LOOKS ("VISUAL TYPE").

Are you saying that gays [italic]look[/italic] inherently different from straights, R237? If you juxtapose Heath Ledger and Luke Evans - how does their sexual orientation affect their LOOK TYPE?

by Anonymousreply 238April 7, 2019 10:19 PM

Kristen Stewart or Anna Paquin both openly bisexual

by Anonymousreply 239April 7, 2019 10:21 PM

Man, you like the caps lock button r238.

Ethnicity is not always a look type. We used to do it that way "Sicilians can play Hispanics it's all the same", now a lot of productions care about getting it accurate.

And yes, this isn't something that can be verified based on looks, they just have to assume the people that are coming in for the auditions are being honest.

by Anonymousreply 240April 7, 2019 10:23 PM

Will Angelina use that camptastic accent she adopted to play the mother of Alexander the Great when she plays an Eternal?

by Anonymousreply 241April 7, 2019 10:30 PM

They sometimes cast for knowledge of certain languages or an ability to mimic an accent, or a singing ability. Those are also aspects not immediately visible to the outsider, just like sexual orientation.

The truth is that LGBT people are a minority and so the studio here will cast in good faith, in order to increase representation and inclusion of that group. I don't see why we should bother with legal technicalities in this case. Of course they can cast straight people in those parts, but it's nice to see a gay actor proudly talking about playing a gay role in this huge superhero movie during press junkets and TV appearances. That's the more important issue, not the character in the movie itself. At least for the time being, while (global) attitudes towards homosexuality are very much lacking still.

by Anonymousreply 242April 7, 2019 10:34 PM

R240, I use the caps button when answering silly questions that should be obvious to anyone.

As for ethnicity, as I said - it's about [bold]external looks[/bold]. E.g. a Scottish person (which is an ethnicity, e.g. Gerard Butler) can easily be cast as a Greek soldier (which is a completely separate ethnicity).

There are still Chinese actors being cast in Japanese roles and vice versa. It's all about "general look type".

The only reason casting directors are now trying to get ethnicity a bit more correct is because we live in a global world now - so e.g. many Asian audiences watch Hollywood movies (they are the most important foreign $$$ market). And they can often tell that e.g. a Chinese role is played by e.g. a Korean person - and it's often laughable to them and even visually grating. Those who don't live in Asia can't pick up on this - but many Asians can't help but see that there's an obvious [bold]visual[/bold] mismatch in the character's look.

by Anonymousreply 243April 7, 2019 10:43 PM

[quote] They sometimes cast for knowledge of certain languages or an ability to mimic an accent, or a singing ability. Those are also aspects not immediately visible to the outsider, just like sexual orientation.

R242, you're talking about [bold]skills[/bold]. Like an actor's horseback riding skills. Inner sexual orientation does not automatically give you any skills.

[quote] I don't see why we should bother with legal technicalities in this case.

Because it's a double-edged sword. Legally, everything goes both ways. If you start explicitly stating casting preferences based on inner sexual orientation - then others can also use this to [bold]explicitly[/bold] state that they want e.g. preferrably non-gay actors in non-gay roles, or "openly pansexual" actors in pansexual roles, etc.

by Anonymousreply 244April 7, 2019 11:02 PM

R168 Then they'd have to rename it The Internals.

by Anonymousreply 245April 7, 2019 11:04 PM

MARVEL?

I'd rather have CARVEL!

by Anonymousreply 246April 7, 2019 11:05 PM

too bad Edgar Ramirez isn't out...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247April 7, 2019 11:30 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248April 9, 2019 1:15 AM

Cast someone who is really bisexual or gay not someone who says he/she is but only (fake) dates from the opposite sex.

by Anonymousreply 249April 9, 2019 1:17 AM

They should cast Chris Evans brother, Scott, so we'll have two Marvel Bros.

Loving Matt Bomer as Negative Man

by Anonymousreply 250April 9, 2019 1:20 AM

We don't want Mangelina she's not bisexual she's a lezzie who pretends to be one by her fake marriages and fake dating life to closeted gay men.

by Anonymousreply 251April 9, 2019 1:21 AM

Ben Whishaw for the Villain role

by Anonymousreply 252April 9, 2019 1:21 AM

Matt. Bomer. He can do this with Negative Man too

by Anonymousreply 253April 9, 2019 2:29 AM

r253 can an actor play both DC and Marvel? Has this happened before?

by Anonymousreply 254April 9, 2019 11:34 AM

@ r192 Luke Macfarlane! he's out of the closet, 6'2, under 40, fit as fuck and does well with fight scenes!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255April 9, 2019 1:01 PM

I know Luke went back to LA in Feb...so maybe he was there for auditions? Fingers crossed. Here's a vid of him working out those sexy muscles

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256April 9, 2019 1:07 PM

Richard Madden is perfect for the role.

by Anonymousreply 257April 9, 2019 3:46 PM

I’d be fine with Luke McFarlane. His big break is long overdue

by Anonymousreply 258April 10, 2019 1:43 AM

Most out gay actors are better actors than Marvel actors (lead roles not supporting).

by Anonymousreply 259April 10, 2019 1:46 AM

[quote]can an actor play both DC and Marvel? Has this happened before?

Laurence Fishburne (Man of Steel and Ant-Man and the Wasp)

Djimon Hounsou (Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain Marvel and Shazam!)

Ben Affleck (Daredevil and Justice League, Batman v. Superman)

Josh Brolin (Jonah Hex and Avengers: Infinity War & Endgame)

Angela Basset (Black Panther and Green Lantern)

by Anonymousreply 260April 10, 2019 2:56 AM

Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern and Deadpool

by Anonymousreply 261April 10, 2019 5:25 AM

Chris Evans(The Losers, F4, Captain America, Avengers)

Zoe Saldana(The Losers and Guardians of the Galaxy)

Halle Berry(X-Men and Catwoman)

by Anonymousreply 262April 10, 2019 3:07 PM

Julian Morris seems to be auditioning with this photograph

(he'd have to come out though!)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263April 11, 2019 6:26 PM

I'd see this if Julian were the star.

by Anonymousreply 264April 11, 2019 6:29 PM

Luke Macfarlane should get the part.

by Anonymousreply 265April 11, 2019 6:39 PM

Charlie Bennett from Netflix's Russian Doll

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266April 11, 2019 6:49 PM

Charlie Barnett is gay, r266? Is that why he got fired on Chicago Fire?

by Anonymousreply 267April 11, 2019 7:03 PM

Charlie Barnett would be a good choice but needs to gay up his Insta if he really wants the role. Because no one knows for sure how he swings right now.

by Anonymousreply 268April 11, 2019 7:16 PM

Look at that chiseled face! Luke Macfarlane has the action hero look down already. But would he be seen as too tv for marvel? i feel like they have to be less picky because they want an out actor, or would they just go for an unknown? Can you even ask for an out gay man on a casting sheet? Do the actors have to prove it? bhaha

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269April 12, 2019 3:10 PM

Luke McFarlane: boring, snoring.

by Anonymousreply 270April 12, 2019 3:17 PM

Macfarlane might be too tainted by the Hallmark brand at this point.

by Anonymousreply 271April 12, 2019 3:21 PM

Alfonso Bassave has the swarthy look needed for an authentic Hercules.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272April 12, 2019 5:08 PM

They said an actor, R199, not an embarrassing cipher who did untold damage to the gay community, and that was just during his child actor years.

by Anonymousreply 273April 12, 2019 5:19 PM

I think it would be nice if Hercules - the epitome of masculinity - wasn't white for a change as that would [italic]really[/italic] trigger the neo-Nazis. Make him a Latino instead. Or adjacent/ambiguous, whatever.

They could also go the unexpected route and cast Nyle DiMarco. That would do wonders for the deaf community.

by Anonymousreply 274April 12, 2019 5:22 PM

Nyle DiMarco is fluid, he isn't gay.

by Anonymousreply 275April 12, 2019 5:35 PM

r275 Really? I had no idea. He's out of the running, then. No. Fluids. EVER!

by Anonymousreply 276April 12, 2019 5:39 PM

[Quote] I think it would be nice if Hercules - the epitome of masculinity - wasn't white for a change as that would really trigger the neo-Nazis. Make him a Latino instead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277April 12, 2019 5:41 PM

Well, we don't even know for certain that the role is Hercules. It could be another character.

by Anonymousreply 278April 13, 2019 12:35 AM

I think the only thing in that extensive rumour posted in the other thread that is 100% correct at this moment (aside from Jolie getting cast) is the mention of Hercules being the gay character. I doubt they'll change that.

by Anonymousreply 279April 13, 2019 12:39 AM

The gay character in Eternals rumor, came from a leaked casting sheet. (later confirmed kinda by Marvel). The bit about Hercules being the gay character for the new film, is an assumption from the comics sites about a brief storyline in an alternative series in the comics when Hercules & Logan (Wolverine) get together. A Marvel Comics guy even later said something about how the normal versions of the characters aren't gay/bi. Marvel Comics is separate from Marvel Films who do their own thing, and change lore things sometimes.

The first leak makes no mention of Hercules, thats from other people trying to join the dots. We don't even know if Hercules or which other characters in the Eternals yet. Maybe they will cheat and make an alien the gay character.

by Anonymousreply 280April 13, 2019 12:54 AM

In Hercules: Fall of Avenger, Hercules is portrayed as bisexual and there is a reference to him having slept with Northstar r280.

You are correct a later writer decided their Hercules wasn't going to be bi, but he has canonically been bi in the comics

by Anonymousreply 281April 13, 2019 12:57 AM

I just want this casting announcement out already so we can start obsessing over the actor and the character. It'll be fun.

by Anonymousreply 282April 13, 2019 1:03 AM

Hercules with Logan

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 283April 13, 2019 1:05 AM

Marvel editor-in-chief Axel Alonso: ""Hercules and James Howlett's relationship in 'X-Treme X-Men' took place in a unique alternate universe, similar to how Colossus was gay in the Ultimate Universe, but is straight in the 616. Same goes for Hercules here.""

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284April 13, 2019 1:08 AM

And that is exactly what he took so much crap for that comment, he wanted to ignore that 616 Herc had been bi too r284.

by Anonymousreply 285April 13, 2019 1:14 AM

Robert Sheehan

by Anonymousreply 286April 13, 2019 1:33 AM

The supposed casting leak was: actor, 30-49, who “physically looks like a superhero” for one of the film’s leads. While the studio is open to actors of all ethnicity, they would prefer the role to go to an openly gay actor.

So skinny guys like Robert Sheehan, Ben Whishaw, or very short Julian Morris are not an option.

by Anonymousreply 287April 13, 2019 2:04 AM

Speaking of Wolverine, doesn't he have a son that's bisexual?

by Anonymousreply 288April 13, 2019 4:03 AM

Yep, Daken R288

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289April 13, 2019 4:08 AM

Thanks R289. I wonder if we'll ever get to see him on the big screen or on tv? A few years ago an actor at a convention said he wanted to play him. But I don't think he knew about Daken being bi lol

by Anonymousreply 290April 13, 2019 4:26 AM

[quote]very short Julian Morris are not an option.

R287, Julian isn't 'very short' -- he's average height, a good 5'10.

He has had a small frame up until now, but as his new photo posted yesterday shows, he works out and can get ripped when he needs to:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291April 13, 2019 6:54 AM

R291 Woah! I've never seen him in such great shape before.

by Anonymousreply 292April 13, 2019 9:08 AM

He's very, very beautiful, Jules is.

by Anonymousreply 293April 13, 2019 9:09 AM

Richard Madden wins this hands down.

by Anonymousreply 294April 13, 2019 9:10 AM

r291 Does not look physically imposing enough to play a superhero. Maybe one who gives paper cuts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295April 13, 2019 9:46 AM

Morris looks fine but has zero personality, which isn't ideal for press tours. Richard Madden is not openly gay, nor will he ever come out as such because he has his former girlfriends' reputations and careers to think of.

I firmly believe this should go to Jonathan Bailey. Although I'd still prefer it if they went with a Latino. But how many openly gay Latinos are there? Apart from Ray Santiago, whom I suggested upthread? Wilson Cruz might be too old and is on Star Trek now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 296April 13, 2019 10:19 AM

While I can't conceive of Julian Morris' having "zero personality," I don't mind the idea of Jonny Bailey.

by Anonymousreply 297April 13, 2019 10:28 AM

Zero personality and a passive vibe on top of that, which is about the worst possible combination for the first openly gay lead in a superhero movie. Must never be allowed to happen.

by Anonymousreply 298April 13, 2019 10:39 AM

Oh, fuck off. He has a delightful, charming personality AFAICT. But I don't know him intimately, the way you do, r298.

by Anonymousreply 299April 13, 2019 10:43 AM

Yeah, R299, the critique of Julian by R298 seems a little over the top. Plus that poster picked a young photo from Julian's twink days, instead of the new muscular photo above.

by Anonymousreply 300April 13, 2019 10:50 AM

Gay isn’t enough. Gay and of color isn’t enough anymore either. You also have to be Jewish, too.

by Anonymousreply 301April 13, 2019 10:59 AM

Well, Julian is Jewish, R301.

by Anonymousreply 302April 13, 2019 11:04 AM

i think someone non-american like r296 suggests might be more likely. There's some out gay actors that go under the radar. I was going to suggest one from Aus, but he's already in the upcoming spiderman. But there must be more actors like that

by Anonymousreply 303April 13, 2019 12:15 PM

Julian is not American, r303. He grew up in London, where his parents still live.

by Anonymousreply 304April 13, 2019 12:37 PM

[quote] Although I'd still prefer it if they went with a Latino. But how many openly gay Latinos are there? Apart from Ray Santiago, whom I suggested upthread? Wilson Cruz might be too old and is on Star Trek now.

How about me?

by Anonymousreply 305April 13, 2019 12:47 PM

Luke Cook (recently played Lucifer on The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina) is built, hot, and incredibly charming and funny on his Instagram. Just not sure if he’s gay yet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 306April 13, 2019 12:56 PM

r306 I've scoured his Insta yesterday but decided against mentioning him here because he has a photo mentioning his ex girlfriend. Might have been way back when he was still very young, though, who knows. His current photos could go either way.

But yes, his abs are crazy.

by Anonymousreply 307April 13, 2019 1:10 PM

r305 I know the age range is officially 30-49 and Diaz is 44, but I think they'll go with someone younger.

by Anonymousreply 308April 13, 2019 1:12 PM

I think Wilson Cruz & Luke Evans are too old, though Luke has the disney connection with Beauty & Beast. After all this speculation, I can just see them casting someone I don't want, like Ricky Martin. I havent watched his show to gauge his acting performance, so I don't know if he is capable or not. But he is high profile, charismatic, PoC ... i just dont want someone like him to overshadow the whole thing. Like Gaga does.

by Anonymousreply 309April 13, 2019 1:34 PM

Stunt casting Ricky Martin would be gross and dismissive in this case. Marvel will want to hire a proper actor, I'm sure.

by Anonymousreply 310April 13, 2019 1:41 PM

The man at r296 has a spectacularly beautiful thumb!

by Anonymousreply 311April 13, 2019 1:49 PM

Does Ben Barnes want his own superhero franchise desperately enough to come out?

by Anonymousreply 312April 13, 2019 1:52 PM

r311 Wait till you see his calves! He is a beautiful, beautiful man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313April 13, 2019 1:53 PM

Yes, r313, he's quite lovely. Is he out? He's definitely pretty enough to be a superhero.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 314April 13, 2019 1:58 PM

[quote]Is he out?

He is!

by Anonymousreply 315April 13, 2019 2:03 PM

Luke Evans would be disappointing casting.

by Anonymousreply 316April 13, 2019 5:09 PM

I admit I feel bad for thinking the same, r316.

by Anonymousreply 317April 13, 2019 5:23 PM

Margot Robbie's gay brother Cameron

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 318April 13, 2019 5:34 PM

He's certainly thirsty, but can he act? I'd prefer the guy standing next to him for this role. What a snack.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 319April 13, 2019 5:38 PM

R319 Seems to be more of a model and presenter but you don't exactly need a lot of experience for Marvel

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 320April 13, 2019 5:45 PM

[Quote] Luke Cook (recently played Lucifer on The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina) is built, hot, and incredibly charming and funny on his Instagram. Just not sure if he’s gay yet.

Ahh fuck i wasn't expecting spoilers.

by Anonymousreply 321April 13, 2019 6:03 PM

Not really a spoiler as he shows up only in the last episode. It's not like he was playing another character undercover all season.

by Anonymousreply 322April 13, 2019 6:10 PM

Why isn't Cameron Robbie in movies or TV, too much of a drunk?

by Anonymousreply 323April 13, 2019 6:15 PM

Probably just not as ambitious as his sister.

by Anonymousreply 324April 13, 2019 6:17 PM

Well he never sucked MY cock.

by Anonymousreply 325April 13, 2019 7:45 PM

Watch it be Jonathan Bennett. You may say he's too old....

by Anonymousreply 326April 13, 2019 8:12 PM

[quote]Does Ben Barnes want his own superhero franchise desperately enough to come out?

Ben pings to me, but it's hard to know for sure what his orientation is because he's so secretive and never allows anyone to photograph him in a personal/romantic situation.

We've talked about it on the Ben threads, but even though he is going to be 38 in a few months, we still know nothing about his romantic life.

by Anonymousreply 327April 13, 2019 8:12 PM

R295 Does not look physically imposing enough to play a superhero.

like Paul Rudd then

by Anonymousreply 328April 13, 2019 9:45 PM

R325 Who?

by Anonymousreply 329April 13, 2019 9:45 PM

R328, that's a photo from 10 years ago in Julian's twink days.

Check out the photo at R291 for how he looks now.

by Anonymousreply 330April 13, 2019 11:14 PM

r328 the casting leak was that they were after someone who looks physically like a superhero. Not an everyman type like Paul Rudd

by Anonymousreply 331April 14, 2019 3:49 AM

Plus, Paul Rudd is 50 now, and is a straight guy married to a woman.

So he isn't a good example.

by Anonymousreply 332April 14, 2019 5:02 AM

[quote]Nyle DiMarco is fluid, he isn't gay.

Dude's fuckin' deaf. May as well put him in a wheelchair.

by Anonymousreply 333April 14, 2019 5:10 AM

[Quote] the casting leak was that they were after someone who looks physically like a superhero.

Which is usually the case lol

by Anonymousreply 334April 14, 2019 9:55 AM

Paul Rudd played a superhero in a Marvel film and doesn't look like a superhero.

by Anonymousreply 335April 14, 2019 12:05 PM

Dino Fetscher I think would be a good choice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 336April 14, 2019 12:05 PM

Dino totally has the Marvel superhero look.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 337April 14, 2019 12:06 PM

Luke Evans or Russell Tovey please!

by Anonymousreply 338April 14, 2019 12:09 PM

Jonathan Bailey would also be great for the part.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 339April 14, 2019 12:10 PM

Like I said, Madden is the only viable option. He has the body and face for it.

by Anonymousreply 340April 14, 2019 12:27 PM

Are Madden and Bailey really any more mooselike than Morris?

by Anonymousreply 341April 14, 2019 12:40 PM

R341 Madden looks a bit fat and bloated these days (not uncommon for actors to gain weight between roles), but he looked amazing during Bodyguard. Watch that and you'll see he'd be a nice fit for the gay superhero role.

by Anonymousreply 342April 14, 2019 12:53 PM

I think any of the three of them would make a splendiferous gay superhero, r342. Jonny's the only one who qualifies as "out and proud" at the moment, though.

by Anonymousreply 343April 14, 2019 12:57 PM

Madden is ugly and he's not out.

by Anonymousreply 344April 14, 2019 1:04 PM

Dino has pic n vid out there of himself getting railed. Marvel is not going to touch him.

by Anonymousreply 345April 14, 2019 1:04 PM

R344 Ugly?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 346April 14, 2019 1:05 PM

I would vote for anyone over Madden now, because of the Sure Jan cunt.

by Anonymousreply 347April 14, 2019 1:08 PM

They're not going to cast a bisexual after teasing us for so long with the "openly gay" bit. So Madden is automatically out of the running.

Paul Rudd's character uses technology/magic to fight, same as Doctor Strange and Iron Man. Characters like that don't need to be muscular at all.

by Anonymousreply 348April 14, 2019 2:44 PM

[quote] Dino has pic n vid out there of himself getting railed.

I want to see!

by Anonymousreply 349April 14, 2019 3:44 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 350April 14, 2019 3:45 PM

Brit actor, Phil Dunster (Man In An Orange Suit) posts a lot of pictures on Instagram of himself with another actor, Ryan McKen, and in one of them they are pushing a baby carriage with the caption “It’s 2017...get used to it.” It might have been meant as a joke, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 351April 14, 2019 4:00 PM

r351 That was definitely just a joke. His Insta is that usual "keeping your options option for future gigs" I see all the time with aspiring actors, where you can't make a call either way as the photos and the captions are so carefully curated.

He looks nice, though.

by Anonymousreply 352April 14, 2019 4:11 PM

*options open

by Anonymousreply 353April 14, 2019 4:13 PM

r350 where is the vid?

by Anonymousreply 354April 14, 2019 4:14 PM

If there isn't going to be a sex scene or a heavy make-out scene -- which there usually aren't in Marvel comic-book movies -- why does it matter?

by Anonymousreply 355April 14, 2019 4:24 PM

Sean Maher in 2017...still looking good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 356April 14, 2019 4:32 PM

r355 Why does it matter that Pete Buttigieg calls himself gay if he isn't having sex with his husband in front of the cameras on the campaign trail? I can't speak for you, but I experience the world differently - and the world treats me differently - as a gay guy and that perspective certainly doesn't (solely) stem from the mere act of me inserting my cock up another guy's pipe.

by Anonymousreply 357April 14, 2019 4:51 PM

Madden is neither gay or bi 'til he states it. Having said that I doubt he is bi, no bi guy is going to risk a career to come out. The gfs in all probability were beards, which is common practice for closeted gay men in film and TV.

by Anonymousreply 358April 14, 2019 5:21 PM

Dan Amboyer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 359April 14, 2019 5:28 PM

R356 what a cutie. I bet it would piss Baldwin off.

by Anonymousreply 360April 14, 2019 5:43 PM

yeh i think someone like r359 's Dan Amboyer.. He has the right physical look. Luke Macfarlane is still my top pick though.

Guys who arent out yet, like Madden, arent eligible. With all the politically correct fuss surrounding minority roles lately, they wont risk casting a straight person in the role. Of course, they will look into potential actors to see if they have any potential problems in their past. They want a safe investment for potential sequels

by Anonymousreply 361April 15, 2019 9:58 AM

r360 Which Baldwin and why?

by Anonymousreply 362April 15, 2019 10:00 AM

R362 I would assume Adam Baldwin

by Anonymousreply 363April 15, 2019 1:50 PM

R362 Adam Baldin, he would bully Sean on the set of Firefly. And he's always tweeting some right wing bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 364April 15, 2019 4:12 PM

I don't believe this rumor. Marvel want to sell their shit to China and other homophobic countries. Maybe I'm wrong but I'll believe it when I see it.

by Anonymousreply 365April 15, 2019 4:17 PM

Mike Doyle

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 366April 16, 2019 12:26 AM

Kyle David Pierce. Though he already had a small role in the MCU

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 367April 16, 2019 12:32 AM

Luke Macfarlane is a beautiful man with a great body, but he is a mediocre actor at best, has a forgettable screen presence, and to top it off, his Canadian accent is totally out of control. I just don't think they'd go with him as first choice.

Tovey is nowhere near as cute as Luke, admittedly, but he's in great shape, a comic book fan, a solid actor with good comic timing, and did really well playing Wentworth Miller's superhero boyfriend on the Arrow shows. It wasn't a bad MCU audition, as these things go.

by Anonymousreply 368April 16, 2019 12:36 AM

What is MCU?

by Anonymousreply 369April 16, 2019 12:39 AM

R369 Marvel Cinematic Universe - the world of the Avengers films, Agents of SHIELD, Jessica Jones/Daredevil/The Punisher/Luke Cage, etc.

by Anonymousreply 370April 16, 2019 12:40 AM

Marvel Cinematic Universe

by Anonymousreply 371April 16, 2019 12:41 AM

Oh, thank you R370 R371.

by Anonymousreply 372April 16, 2019 12:41 AM

Luke Macfarlane's Canadian accent can be sanded off in that lab under the Disney castle. Like I've said before, there's not much they can't do over there. As for his acting chops, well... that's another matter. He's not my top pick but I'm sure he'd work harder on this than he does on those Hallmark movies, not that those require any kind of range or special skills. That goes for anyone who gets picked in the end.

I'd be fine with Russell Tovey getting this.

by Anonymousreply 373April 16, 2019 12:52 AM

Yes, let’s hire someone where we would have to spend hundreds of thousands fixing his voice in the lab post shoot.

by Anonymousreply 374April 16, 2019 12:54 AM

I meant a vocal coach, not digitally fixing his voice in post, Jesus. You'd think that much would be obvious to anyone, but I guess not.

by Anonymousreply 375April 16, 2019 1:00 AM

Luke trained for years in prestigious NYC acting and theater schools since he was a teenager and he's still ooting and abooting all over Killjoys. He's cute and somewhat talented, but he's absolutely not going to lead a Marvel franchise. It's just not going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 376April 16, 2019 1:30 AM

This could be played by a trans POC. They could re-write the part. I'm so sick of this shit.

by Anonymousreply 377April 16, 2019 1:35 AM

[quote]I meant a vocal coach, not digitally fixing his voice in post, Jesus. You'd think that much would be obvious to anyone, but I guess not.

r375 Yet what you said in r373 was

[quote]Luke Macfarlane's Canadian accent can be sanded off in that lab under the Disney castle.

by Anonymousreply 378April 16, 2019 6:05 AM

Thank you, R378. How else are we to interpret lab?

by Anonymousreply 379April 16, 2019 6:41 AM

r356 Marvel's pretty much confirmed this already r376 The list of out gay actors though is very small, so they will have to be less picky

by Anonymousreply 380April 16, 2019 7:43 AM

I thought Marvel didn’t say they’re casting JUST out gays, but that they’d “prefer” one?

Under that ‘wording’, they leave the door wide open for themselves to cast virtually anyone. A “preference” is an advantage, but not a strict requirement or obligation. They could cast an out bisexual, ‘pansexual / fluid’, or even go for a straight if the actor is good enough.

I imagine they might audition some lesser known actors too, like they did with Tom Holland. But how would that work: would the actors put “out gay” on one’s CV?

by Anonymousreply 381April 16, 2019 8:42 AM

they would get roasted by the SWJ's if they didnt cast a gay actor to play "the first gay character" in MCU. Like if they didnt get a female director for the first female-lead film, captain marvel. They have to worry about things like that these days. But I think it will be very subtly referred to in the film rather than overtly gay/etc.

by Anonymousreply 382April 16, 2019 8:58 AM

R381 there's always a loophole.

by Anonymousreply 383April 16, 2019 9:02 AM

R382, I think modern SJWs will see it more as an overall “queer” role. I doubt they would preclude “bisexual / fluid / pansexual” or “queer” actors from auditioning.

by Anonymousreply 384April 16, 2019 9:09 AM

Could be Luke Macfarlane’s big break. He is dreamy and I miss him. He seems sweet. Wentworth Miller has been under the radar for too long and his Instagram makes me frustrated because he never posts photos of himself.

Of course, for the big screen, it seems like they always go for Neil Patrick Harris.

Maybe Chaning Tatum will finally come out to get this role, though. He has big screen experience.

by Anonymousreply 385April 16, 2019 10:26 AM

Yeah, most will be okay with a bi or fluid actor, even a “mostly straight” dude, especially if a person of color.

by Anonymousreply 386April 16, 2019 10:27 AM

[quote]he's still ooting and abooting all over

LOL

by Anonymousreply 387April 16, 2019 10:37 AM

I’m available!!!

Where are the auditions?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 388April 16, 2019 10:38 AM

Are we in one of those periods when only paying members can post?

by Anonymousreply 389April 16, 2019 11:08 AM

[Quote] Wentworth Miller has been under the radar for too long

I think his last big movie was Resident Evil. Unless you count Stoker which he wrote.

[Quote] Maybe Chaning Tatum will finally come out to get this role, though. He has big screen experience.

We're never getting that Gambit movie.

by Anonymousreply 390April 16, 2019 11:14 AM

r378 Oh, brother. I was being facetious, as in: they have all sorts of equipment and experts in that lab.

by Anonymousreply 391April 16, 2019 11:29 AM

I think Russel Tovey is a great actor and a very likable guy, but to cast someone like him or Luke Evans is downplaying the role as a secondary non leading man role. I think an actor as handsome if not more so than the lead male actor would be the way to go and to be more progressive.

by Anonymousreply 392April 16, 2019 12:02 PM

[quote] I think an actor as handsome if not more so than the lead male actor would be the way to go

Macfarlane it is then. They need to hurry because he’s nearing 40.

Though IRL I would choose Tovey over him. Sexy BJ-handle ears. Very convenient.

by Anonymousreply 393April 16, 2019 12:09 PM

[quote]Macfarlane it is then.

No. Never. I would not pay ten cents to see him in anything.

by Anonymousreply 394April 16, 2019 12:11 PM

I love Luke Macfarlane. Seeing him in bad Hallmark romances brings out the swoony teen in me...except for the awkwardness of him pretending to be straight.

by Anonymousreply 395April 16, 2019 12:14 PM

Just yum

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 396April 16, 2019 1:15 PM

Luke's booty :D

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 397April 16, 2019 1:16 PM

Wentworth Miller looks amazing for his age, but he is pushing 50 (turns 47 in a few weeks) and has been having unspecified health issues. He pretty much said as much that that's why he was retiring from social media except for his Instagram and that was a year ago. Since then whenever anyone's seen him in public -- only in Connecticut, and he's been seen in a few hospital waiting rooms in the area -- he's refused to take photos or talk much to anyone. He hasn't acted in nearly 2 years, by choice. A shame. I hope he's okay.

by Anonymousreply 398April 16, 2019 3:23 PM

It'll be Billy Eichner - just wait and see.

by Anonymousreply 399April 16, 2019 4:45 PM

It’ll be whoever puts out the most!

by Anonymousreply 400April 16, 2019 4:47 PM

I wonder which lucky rich eldergay executive will head the ‘casting committee’?

Strings will be pulled, favors will be called.

by Anonymousreply 401April 16, 2019 4:50 PM

R399 He's super ugly.

by Anonymousreply 402April 17, 2019 7:04 AM

I do think most people don't know who is Luke Macfarlane.

by Anonymousreply 403April 17, 2019 7:05 AM

No one said that the openly gay actor had to be someone everyone knew R403

by Anonymousreply 404April 17, 2019 1:38 PM

r403, which is why they're probably trying to get a well-known star such as Angelina Jolie, even in a supporting role, for box-office insurance. (Though it can be argued that these comic book movies could star nobodies and still be successful, as demonstrated by Shazam!)

by Anonymousreply 405April 17, 2019 2:47 PM

Angelia Jolie will be the queer actor they get for this.

by Anonymousreply 406April 17, 2019 3:33 PM

R398 that's a shame. I hope it's nothing serious.

by Anonymousreply 407April 17, 2019 3:53 PM

What about Steve Grand?

by Anonymousreply 408April 17, 2019 3:57 PM

I'm a fan of Luke Macfarlane and I don't think he would be a good fit for the role. Mainly he's too old. He's pushing 40.

by Anonymousreply 409April 17, 2019 4:01 PM

Jolie who married gay men 3 times doesn't deserve to be the queer actor they want to cast.

by Anonymousreply 410April 17, 2019 9:58 PM

Gaysian, fuck yes!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 411April 17, 2019 10:11 PM

This future millionaire sure looks good shirtless.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 412April 17, 2019 10:14 PM

I can already see this movie will be a flop

by Anonymousreply 413April 17, 2019 10:16 PM

See, wholesome Insta game pays off in the long run, bigly. Thirsty Instahoes should take note.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 414April 17, 2019 10:19 PM

Martin Compston

by Anonymousreply 415April 17, 2019 10:23 PM

Seriously why can't we get a gay Captain America type of guy ? We gays always have to settle for some ugly dude.

by Anonymousreply 416April 17, 2019 10:26 PM

Ugly, really? I think he's adorkable and might be accepted by the (overseas) audiences even more as a result.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 417April 17, 2019 10:33 PM

Do we think this rumour was put out by Marvel, to gauge the fans' reaction?

by Anonymousreply 418April 17, 2019 11:05 PM

I'll bet he gets a really sentimental love story... And that's it.

by Anonymousreply 419April 18, 2019 12:55 AM

Wouldn't that be enough? I mean, Marvel movies aren't really known for their sex scenes, are they?

by Anonymousreply 420April 18, 2019 12:57 AM

R240 no I mean no deeper character development or storyline. All the current gays on TV seem to revolve entirely around a lameass live story.

by Anonymousreply 421April 18, 2019 1:01 AM

He's one of the leads in this movie so I'm sure he's getting both character development and storyline.

by Anonymousreply 422April 18, 2019 1:03 AM

Conrad is not wholesome. He is dating pornstar Josh Cockcream.

by Anonymousreply 423April 18, 2019 3:22 AM

Somehow i don't see it R423. He is pretty young for Conrad though

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 424April 18, 2019 3:25 AM

HAHA gaysian with a white boyfriend, I've seen that a million times lol

by Anonymousreply 425April 18, 2019 4:15 AM

r425 and he has European features too lol

by Anonymousreply 426April 18, 2019 4:31 AM

Are they out?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 427April 18, 2019 4:35 AM

Out as a couple or out as in gay? Because yes to both.

by Anonymousreply 428April 18, 2019 5:03 AM

Cockcream 😭😭

by Anonymousreply 429April 18, 2019 5:04 AM

Disney wouldn't want Conrad if he's connected to that porn star.

r416 Is Luke Macfarlane that type?

by Anonymousreply 430April 18, 2019 7:48 AM

Gaysian you say? "Coooeee boys!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 431April 18, 2019 9:35 AM

Conrad's boyfriend is not a pornstar. How do people just come up with patently false shit like that on the spot?

by Anonymousreply 432April 18, 2019 11:15 AM

Of course the gay character can't be a big muscular superhero like Thor or Captain America. Has to be sensitive. I like Conrad but isn't there a more masculine Asian gay actor out there. It' a shame because this is all we are going to get.

by Anonymousreply 433April 18, 2019 11:36 AM

Not to worry, he's going to get a personal trainer from Disney to amp up his muscles to eleven. And it's not like he's got a blank slate to work with.

Muscles are the last thing I'd worry about here. And who says muscled guys can't be anything other than gruff? Look at Thor and the Whatshisface churchie - they're both goofy af.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 434April 18, 2019 11:43 AM

My point is that if we are finally getting a gay superhero, why can't he be like the guy in the picture that started this thread (but Asian)

by Anonymousreply 435April 18, 2019 11:50 AM

You mean the blond illustrated guy? How do you even begin to look for a real-life [italic]Asian[/italic] version of that?

by Anonymousreply 436April 18, 2019 11:56 AM

Are you saying there are no muscular gay Asian men out there?

by Anonymousreply 437April 18, 2019 12:05 PM

Why look for muscled Asian actors when you can just cast a good Asian actor and then juice him up? It's like casting only dark-haired people when you can always dye their hair later!

Disney does miracles when it's time to transform their actors' bodies. Did you see how stacked Brie Larson got for her movie?

by Anonymousreply 438April 18, 2019 12:14 PM

Why can't he look like this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 439April 18, 2019 12:56 PM

Nah, we gays always get the weird feminine skinny ones and there's nothing wrong with that but after a while of seeing the same portrayal of gay men I'm kinda tired. This was a good opportunity to showcase a strong masculine gay dude. Conrad is a sweet kind dude but we've seen that before a million times.

by Anonymousreply 440April 18, 2019 3:59 PM

Again, you haven't seen a single shot of the movie yet. An around-the-clock personal trainer and a nutritionist can do wonders between the casting announcement and the start of principal photography. It's way harder to learn how to act than to gain muscle mass in a couple of months.

by Anonymousreply 441April 18, 2019 4:10 PM

Are they going to dub him too because that voice would not strike fear into any villian

by Anonymousreply 442April 18, 2019 5:24 PM

It's your power set that matters in these movies, not your voice.

by Anonymousreply 443April 18, 2019 5:36 PM

Maybe it's just me but I dont see him bringing the gays for this movie. It looks like they're casting a gay man to appeal to straight people rather than to gay men.

by Anonymousreply 444April 18, 2019 5:40 PM

Most of the audience is made up of straight people so it only makes good business sense. At least in this case, when they have to break the ice.

Whatever the final decision, this character would never represent every gay guy in the US and across the world because that's an impossible task. Not even all the straight superheroes we've seen so far represent all the straight guys who go see these movies.

by Anonymousreply 445April 18, 2019 5:47 PM

What about Jake Choi? He's gay and Asian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 446April 18, 2019 6:06 PM

r446 He's handsome but perhaps those tats turned them off? Or, you know, maybe he didn't even audition.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 447April 18, 2019 6:12 PM

If we’re going Gaysian, there’s Leonardo Nam from Westworld.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 448April 18, 2019 7:46 PM

r448 I was tempted to mention him several times as he's so gorgeous but I kept reminding myself that he's in the DCEU's new Swamp Thing TV series, which probably rules him out automatically.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 449April 18, 2019 8:35 PM

Leo's gay??!

by Anonymousreply 450April 18, 2019 8:47 PM

I mean, he never once mentions his husband on Insta for some reason, so you're probably not alone in learning that just now.

I'm more surprised by the fact that he was born and went to high school in Buenos Aires and graduated from architecture in New South Wales. His American accent in Westworld is really good because his real accent is as Australian as they come.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 451April 18, 2019 9:00 PM

I already knew he was Aussie because his accent kept slipping out in Sisterhood Of The Traveling Pants. But he did look pretty great in the sequel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 452April 18, 2019 9:04 PM

Yup, bitch worked hard for that bod.

[quote]Nam recalls hearing a rumor that Warner Bros. was considering recasting his role in The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2. There was concern that Middle America wouldn’t respond to an Asian male in a romantic role, so Nam set out to make himself into a matinee idol, hitting the gym extra hard. It paid off, in more ways than one: he retained the role in the film and met his husband at the gym. “It’s a true basic-gay love story!” he jokes. They are now the proud parents of twin 18-month-old boys.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 453April 18, 2019 9:08 PM

R453 thanks for posting!

by Anonymousreply 454April 18, 2019 9:29 PM

Ben Whishaw

by Anonymousreply 455April 19, 2019 3:57 AM

Who cares? These are pretty much garbage movies.

by Anonymousreply 456April 19, 2019 4:32 AM

Of course none of this matters. There will be one throw away scene where he mentions an ex boyfriend to establish he's gay and then that's it.

by Anonymousreply 457April 19, 2019 11:45 AM

R457 Yep, no need to get our hopes up, this is just gay pandering/queer baiting 101.

by Anonymousreply 458April 19, 2019 3:44 PM

So many Cassandras in this thread...

by Anonymousreply 459April 19, 2019 3:48 PM

[Quote] So many Cassandras in this thread...

I'm guessing it's a bad thing that i don't get this reference......?

by Anonymousreply 460April 19, 2019 4:55 PM

R460 Old school elderqueen reference that was popular back when datalounge was started, I'd imagine as a young person who's been here for a year, they also use nelly, mary and another one that I forgot.

by Anonymousreply 461April 19, 2019 4:59 PM

I nominate Tyler Blackburn now that he's out. He will look even better after a few months in the gym. He has a cute face. He just needs to build his body.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 462April 19, 2019 5:05 PM

R462 Very good looking, is he gay ?

by Anonymousreply 463April 19, 2019 5:19 PM

R463 He's out as bi.

by Anonymousreply 464April 19, 2019 5:21 PM

R464 Sigh..

by Anonymousreply 465April 19, 2019 5:25 PM

r461 Yes, only eldergays know about Greek mythology. You heard it here first!

You and r460 really should crack open a book now and then. Or just keep your mouth shut next time to spare yourselves the embarrassment.

by Anonymousreply 466April 19, 2019 5:28 PM

R465 I know, but I think he's legit bi, or even a gay leaning bisexual. He's currently dating a guy.

by Anonymousreply 467April 19, 2019 5:29 PM

Surely R461 was a troll.

by Anonymousreply 468April 19, 2019 5:30 PM

Tyler Blackburn has come out queer (identifying as bisexual in the past) and Marvel is casting for a gay actor. But sure, we'll all the same anyway, so who cares.

by Anonymousreply 469April 19, 2019 5:30 PM

*come out as queer

by Anonymousreply 470April 19, 2019 5:32 PM

Yeah, does bisexual count if they're looking for an openly "gay" actor?

by Anonymousreply 471April 19, 2019 9:36 PM

R471 Hope not, if it's not the trans it's the bisexuals trying to bully gay men/women into accepting them.

by Anonymousreply 472April 20, 2019 1:45 AM

[quote]I mean, he never once mentions his husband on Insta for some reason, so you're probably not alone in learning that just now.

When they had their baby shower, he only posted a picture of twin strollers and thanked well wishers. Didn't tag his husband. One of his friends made a comment about the husband and how happy they were for them and then suddenly the post was taken down. I think he's only posted a picture of his husband once. A group shot of them with his husband's twin brother.

by Anonymousreply 473May 4, 2019 9:14 PM

Pretty sad if he doesn't want to be seen publicly with his own husband.

by Anonymousreply 474May 4, 2019 9:16 PM

Ricamora is already a member of house of mouse, so it's not exactly shocking if he is cast. If they want a gaysian, then he's their safest choice. And fans love him in the only good for one and a half seasons How to Get Away with Murder.

by Anonymousreply 475May 5, 2019 5:03 AM

Kristen Stewart - out as bi

Ben Whishaw - Gay

by Anonymousreply 476May 5, 2019 5:21 AM

Kristen Stewart is out as gay. She literally said "I'm so gay" on national television as her official coming out.

by Anonymousreply 477May 7, 2019 3:18 AM

R477??????

by Anonymousreply 478May 7, 2019 3:40 AM

Aren't they doing a Hawkeye movie with Jeremy.

by Anonymousreply 479May 7, 2019 4:14 AM

TV series, not movie R479

by Anonymousreply 480May 7, 2019 4:42 AM

Lee Pace

by Anonymousreply 481May 7, 2019 7:23 AM

R477 Kristen Stewart: ‘It's not confusing if you’re bisexual. For me, it’s the opposite’

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 482May 7, 2019 7:24 AM

R477 so gay

So gay to Trump to like her. She's bi.

by Anonymousreply 483May 7, 2019 7:25 AM

You'd have to be seriously dumb to think KStew faked that affair with Rupert Sanders.

by Anonymousreply 484May 7, 2019 7:31 AM

R484 Some DLers are that dumb.

by Anonymousreply 485May 7, 2019 9:57 AM

Richard Madden in talks to join The Eternals!

by Anonymousreply 486May 7, 2019 7:40 PM

R486 is that good or bad? I've never seen Richard in anything.

by Anonymousreply 487May 7, 2019 9:48 PM

Madden is not out.

by Anonymousreply 488May 7, 2019 9:51 PM

Richard's bi/gayness is implied.

by Anonymousreply 489May 7, 2019 9:54 PM

Richard Madden is living in LA with Sam Smith's ex, Brandon Flynn:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 490May 7, 2019 9:57 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 491May 7, 2019 10:04 PM

R490 Yes but still not out publicly.

by Anonymousreply 492May 7, 2019 10:12 PM

'Arrow' star Ben Lewis urges Marvel to cast a LGBTQ actor as the MCU's first ever LGBTQ superhero

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 493May 26, 2019 6:22 PM

marvel give me a gigantic pain in my hole.

by Anonymousreply 494May 26, 2019 6:24 PM

He doesn't seem to have any shirtless pics, that Sam Salter can get it.

by Anonymousreply 495May 27, 2019 11:57 AM

Richard Madden confirmed to play Ikaris

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 496July 21, 2019 1:22 AM

r496 Thank god those RM&BF threads are gone because DL would have gone into meltdown right now.

by Anonymousreply 497July 21, 2019 1:33 AM

[quote]Angelina Jolie, Richard Madden, Kumail Nanjiani, Lauren Ridloff, Brian Tyree Henry, Salma Hayek, Lia McHugh and Don Lee all set to star.

No word on the first openly gay actor, wtf?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 498July 21, 2019 1:39 AM

R498 They probably pussied out, unsurprisingly. (Unless R. Madden is about to come out but I highly, HIGHLY doubt that.)

by Anonymousreply 499July 21, 2019 1:48 AM

[quote]Unless R. Madden is about to come out but I highly, HIGHLY doubt that.

r499 That's not happening so I think you're right - they must've pussied out. I can't believe we've been had, AGAIN. And after two almost full threads worth of speculation. I let myself go down that road of hoping that this time will be different every fucking time...

by Anonymousreply 500July 21, 2019 1:52 AM

We all know if there is an openly gay actor, he's not going to be a main character or at least one that has top billing.

by Anonymousreply 501July 21, 2019 1:52 AM

r501 But look at the cast list at r498 - Lia McHugh is a fucking child actor and she got mentioned in the presser! So how much smaller of a role can it possibly be?

by Anonymousreply 502July 21, 2019 1:54 AM

There is no openly gay character or openly gay actor. I watched tonight. The Eternals will instead feature the first disabled superhero played by an actual disabled actor. I guess that's what they substituted in place of the gay stuff.

by Anonymousreply 503July 21, 2019 2:03 AM

I hope the gay press and gay Twitter rips Marvel to shreds for this

by Anonymousreply 504July 21, 2019 2:05 AM

It would be hilarious though if Marvel/Disney actually just outed Richard Madden.

by Anonymousreply 505July 21, 2019 2:07 AM

[quote]The Eternals will instead feature the first disabled superhero played by an actual disabled actor. I guess that's what they substituted in place of the gay stuff.

I will forever stan the inclusion of disabled people, but I cannot believe they swapped us out, just like that. Fuck them. I will never see this fucking movie.

by Anonymousreply 506July 21, 2019 2:09 AM

People are saying that Richard's character is supposed to be gay, even though he's not in the comics. Who knows really.

by Anonymousreply 507July 21, 2019 2:11 AM

R506 For real. It's like "oh let's find a more family friendly minority"! They know redneck conservative trash is their bread and butter, plus China.

by Anonymousreply 508July 21, 2019 2:11 AM

R505 More like they will tell him to tone it down and get back in the closet.

by Anonymousreply 509July 21, 2019 2:12 AM

Do make up your mind, either they want openly out character/actor or they're forcing back in the closet? It can't be both.

by Anonymousreply 510July 21, 2019 2:22 AM

R510 can't read. They don't want an openly gay character. There isn't one.

by Anonymousreply 511July 21, 2019 2:25 AM

r508 And Madden is now the perfect half-measure to deflect any criticism that they changed their minds.

And yes, I did just call a bisexual actor (in a straight role!) a half-measure. Sue me. This is not what we were told would happen. So fucking frustrating, and after statement upon statement saying that it's time, and now they're leaning into Valkyrie's "first LGBTQ+ character" confirmation as the Big Gay News instead.

by Anonymousreply 512July 21, 2019 2:28 AM

Jolie is a closet lesbian cunt, maybe she'll give an interview about being fluid or some shit.

by Anonymousreply 513July 21, 2019 2:31 AM

R512 That was bullshit too. She basically made a joke about finding a queen if she was king. It was stupid.

by Anonymousreply 514July 21, 2019 2:33 AM

Also the cast is old as fuck, jolie is 44 and hayek is 53 they'll look like mummies by the third film so what are they even trying to do with this cast?

by Anonymousreply 515July 21, 2019 2:43 AM

Not all movies are meant to be trilogies

by Anonymousreply 516July 21, 2019 2:45 AM

Surely they wouldn't make just one Eternals movie? Seems crazy to introduce that whole new mythology and then just drop it.

by Anonymousreply 517July 21, 2019 2:46 AM

Marvel are cowards.

by Anonymousreply 518July 21, 2019 3:28 AM

At this rate DC will beat them with not only an openly gay movie character, but also an openly gay actor.

by Anonymousreply 519July 21, 2019 3:44 AM

So Madden is coming out then or did Marvel backtrack?

by Anonymousreply 520July 21, 2019 3:56 AM

Marvel basically lied to get gay support.

by Anonymousreply 521July 21, 2019 4:00 AM

I should never see another Marvel movie again.

by Anonymousreply 522July 21, 2019 4:44 AM

Keanu was heavily rumored as the villain and hasn’t been announced yet. Supposedly a few roles are still to be announced, including a love interest for Madden. Maybe the gay character/actor is yet to be officially cast. There’s so many goddamn people in this movie though, I’m betting if a gay character does make it in it’ll be a barely there supporting role.

by Anonymousreply 523July 21, 2019 6:33 AM

It will be Luke Evans as Hercules; and hopefully Eva Green as Sersi after all.

by Anonymousreply 524July 21, 2019 2:12 PM

r524 If they managed to strike a deal with Salma and Angelina (and bring them both to the stage!), why are they still negotiating with Evans and Green, then? Keanu I understand because he's Keanu. But those two? What's there to discuss still?

by Anonymousreply 525July 21, 2019 2:15 PM

[Quote] It would be hilarious though if Marvel/Disney actually just outed Richard Madden.

It's suss that he was papped again at a well known restaurant with the ex-Mrs Sam Smith (Kanye & Wife were papped leaving by the rear as well), a day or two before this con appearance.

by Anonymousreply 526July 21, 2019 9:26 PM

Did Richard bring Brandon in tow to Comic-Con?

by Anonymousreply 527July 21, 2019 9:28 PM

R526 It's not really "sus" as it's a celebrity-heavy restaurant constantly crowded with paparazzi. It's actually quite obvious what they were doing. Regardless, Marvel made a big deal out of looking for openly out gay actors for the gay superhero role. If they go with Madden he'll have to come out or they'll look like they went back on what they said.

by Anonymousreply 528July 21, 2019 9:32 PM

Maybe Marvel are satisfied with one of their actors being glass closeted. The general public mightn't know but the type to engage in stan wars certainly do.

by Anonymousreply 529July 21, 2019 9:39 PM

[Quote] It's actually quite obvious what they were doing.

Not to fangirls. The only acceptable narrative is that those gay blades are "just living their life, carefree". Any suggestion that there's orchestration/strategy involved, the fangirls lose their shit.

by Anonymousreply 530July 21, 2019 9:41 PM

R530 Of course, isn't that their job? Honestly I don't doubt they are a real couple. However they are also actors, and actors are often thirsty for publicity. Fangirls are just going to have to live with that. Not everything in life is a romance novel.

by Anonymousreply 531July 21, 2019 9:45 PM

Maybe Richard will come out during the press tour for the movie and be like "How did you not know? I've been with Brandon for months!"

by Anonymousreply 532July 21, 2019 9:50 PM

I think you could say the same for many (most) of these HW relationships - outside the showmances they're still used for publicity either keeping the participants in the news or selling 'the dream'

by Anonymousreply 533July 21, 2019 9:52 PM

R524 I just heard today that Hercules really has nothing to do with the Eternals and was only brought up during the rumors because he was an "openly gay" character. So he's probably not even gonna be in the movie.

Speaking of the rumors, did they ever actually say that the character was going to be male? I can't remember.

by Anonymousreply 534July 22, 2019 6:57 PM

There was also talks about the gay actor being Asian

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 535July 22, 2019 6:59 PM

r535 Yeah, that rumour (commented on by Conrad himself and discussed upthread) was either bullshit from the start or it was true but they ultimately decided against it and went for the disabled minority instead. So gross.

by Anonymousreply 536July 22, 2019 7:28 PM

Look, they're going to hire some no name Asian gay actor for a forgettable bit part to appease us.

by Anonymousreply 537July 23, 2019 3:38 AM

Disney has their con, D23 next month, maybe they'll announce more casting then

by Anonymousreply 538July 24, 2019 2:55 AM

It's almost like they were using the gay community for press.

by Anonymousreply 539July 24, 2019 3:13 AM

R538 this is very likely. I've read somewhere that 3 actors and their roles are still not annonced yet. Maybe one of them is the supposedly openly actor playing a gay character. If it's not Madden and they just wait that long to announce that, though.

by Anonymousreply 540July 24, 2019 5:31 PM

Maybe they didn't want to announce it with Madden on stage. Salma Hayek emphasised the diversity aspect in her speech (a woman as head of the Eternals, a woman directing the movie, gesturing to the different hues on stage etc.). It might be a little awkward to have an LGBT actor onstage talking about their status as an out actor because I've read that Madden might not be straight or open about that.

by Anonymousreply 541July 24, 2019 5:36 PM

Madden for sure isnt straight. He has a bf [in case you don't know this] and has not denied being in a relationship with a man when asked directly in the NYTimes. I'd say glass closeted towards open but private. And yes, announcing him as the out LGBTQ actor at SDCC would have felt as if Marvel had outed him instead a coming out on his own terms.

And yes, the entire cast is remarkable diverse. Love this. And for the rest I guess we'll just have to wait and see [and hope].

by Anonymousreply 542July 24, 2019 5:49 PM

An out gay actor should have gotten the Ikaris role. What's it about rewarding closet cases like Madden ??

What about Luke Macfarlane or that other guy who is gay too?

by Anonymousreply 543July 24, 2019 6:42 PM

Louie Anderson?

by Anonymousreply 544July 24, 2019 6:54 PM

[quote]Madden for sure isnt straight. He has a bf [in case you don't know this] and has not denied being in a relationship with a man when asked directly in the NYTimes. I'd say glass closeted towards open but private.

Agree. And I wouldn't say that Madden is a 'closet case' like many others, who are burying themselves in the closet with ridiculous beardings and embarrassing 'I'm not gay' interviews.......

For example, Sam Heughan is a real closet case -who could have been cast in The Eternals if the initial rumors were true..

by Anonymousreply 545July 24, 2019 8:39 PM

Wasn't the Ikaris character supposed to have a romantic thing with Angelina Jolie's character, judging by the rumours? Or has one in the comics? I wouldn't mind that character being bisexual and played by a bisexual actor like Madden, but it's still a climbdown from what we've been promised.

r538 Hopefully that's the case.

by Anonymousreply 546July 24, 2019 8:45 PM

It wasn't rumored that Angelina Jolie was playing Sersi and would be the love interest of Ikaris, but we now know that rumor was bullshit, as Jolie is not even playing Sersi.

by Anonymousreply 547July 24, 2019 8:49 PM

Who is playing Sersi? Is Jolie the villain?

by Anonymousreply 548July 24, 2019 8:51 PM

They haven't said who is playing Sersi yet, a major part; still hoping it's Eva Green.

by Anonymousreply 549July 24, 2019 8:59 PM

Angelina was rumoured to play Elysius. She's now playing Thena. Sersi hasn't been cast (yet).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 550July 24, 2019 9:02 PM

No, Jolie was definitely rumored to play Sersi. Even big name outlets like Hollywood Reporter were saying that

[quote]Jolie is understood to be playing the character named Sersi, a more outgoing Eternal who has not been afraid to move amongst humankind.

But whoever plays Sersi should in theory be the love interest of Ikaris, maybe they will gender bend the role and cast a man! I doubt it, but I'll keep the hope alive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 551July 24, 2019 9:08 PM

r551 I know, I mentioned the rumour in that long rumour list posted in the other thread, which is half accurate and half not.

Just found this rumour/leak for the D23 event that r538 mentioned.

[quote]Zachary Quinto is in negotiations to play a major role in the MCU and may appear in upcoming films.

So that might be the gay role we're waiting for. Blah but still better than Madden, honestly.

by Anonymousreply 552July 24, 2019 9:10 PM

I don't think Quinto is a blah actor. He was quite good in AHS Asylum.

by Anonymousreply 553July 24, 2019 9:12 PM

Is Jolie's actual role smaller or of equal size to Sersi in the comics?

by Anonymousreply 554July 24, 2019 9:12 PM

Up at r231 I remember posting that when we had our first thread about Richard Madden/Brandon Flynn being boyfriends. Flashforward three months later and he is actually starring in The Eternals. Though still not officially out (yet)

by Anonymousreply 555July 24, 2019 9:17 PM

That man is quite awkward. I don't see him coming out. Not for a role. If he gets married or something, like Ben Whishaw did, I could see it.

by Anonymousreply 556July 24, 2019 9:20 PM

r553 He's a good actor but a blah choice in this case, in my opinion. Give me some new blood already. Someone like Jonathan Bailey! He'd do it for cheap as well.

r555 I feel like coming out as bisexual shouldn't be this protracted an affair. I mean, it's really not that big of a deal.

by Anonymousreply 557July 24, 2019 9:21 PM

It is in the wider world.

by Anonymousreply 558July 24, 2019 9:22 PM

The wider world has no idea who he is so wouldn't care who he sleeps with. It's just bisexuals being extra dramatic, as per the uzh.

by Anonymousreply 559July 24, 2019 9:31 PM

I can sympathise, though. Lots of people use the bi shield. It must rankle, particularly to bi's themselves.

by Anonymousreply 560July 24, 2019 9:34 PM

554, in the comics, Thena and Sersi are the two most prominent female Eternals, with Thena probably having a slight edge in the Eternals own series. Her main plot arc is a long-standing romance with Kro, a leading member of the rival misshapen Deviant race, and they have children. In Marvel comics more broadly Sersi is more prominent, thanks to a lengthy run as a member of the Avengers, and as being a livelier and more fun character generally, so was given more guest appearances.

by Anonymousreply 561July 25, 2019 8:36 AM

So who will be Sersi? Emilia Clarke?

by Anonymousreply 562July 25, 2019 7:10 PM

R562 No? Hopefully they choose someone who can actually act.

by Anonymousreply 563July 25, 2019 9:21 PM

They really don't need Sersi now. They gender flipped three characters with this casting announcement, creating a balanced cast. Any more characters and there will be little room for story. They need a villain, Kro is the only Deviant i can name. Quinto could play him, though in the comics he has a relationship with Angelina's character.

Everyone assumed whoever played Ikaris would be playing the gay character, because the character is drawn as young, handsome and fit. Ikky has never been anything but hetero. Outside the X-Men there are not that many gay characters in these sections of the Marvel universe to cast.

by Anonymousreply 564July 25, 2019 11:56 PM

An openly gay actor playing a gay... Deviant? I---...

by Anonymousreply 565July 25, 2019 11:59 PM

R564 I think people assumed Ikaris would be the gay character only because Madden is playing him. I'm guessing it will be another character they haven't introduced yet, though

by Anonymousreply 566July 26, 2019 12:36 AM

It'll be another 30 second bit part, just you wait.

by Anonymousreply 567July 26, 2019 4:15 AM

It better not be fug Quinto ! He's too fucking annoying and crappy actor. And those eyebrows, THOSE EYEBROWS!!!

It better be Madden and a cute pocket gay

by Anonymousreply 568July 26, 2019 4:30 AM

Oh, yeah. Quinto's the fug one...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 569July 26, 2019 4:35 AM

An Asian gay man is NOT gonna fly in the all important China movie going market

It will be Richard Madden

by Anonymousreply 570July 26, 2019 4:46 AM

Not even a Filipino?

by Anonymousreply 571July 26, 2019 4:48 AM

Filipinos are universally despised by other Asian cultures...so I guess it could be

"Otherness", in this situation, is a bonus to studio marketing execs

by Anonymousreply 572July 26, 2019 4:52 AM

Alec Mapa IS an Eternal!

by Anonymousreply 573July 26, 2019 4:54 AM

They'd be stupid not to use Sersi. She's the only interesting Eternal.

by Anonymousreply 574July 26, 2019 5:40 PM

D23 is not far away. If they have more characters to announce, they'd be smart to do it there since they're supposed to start filming very soon.

by Anonymousreply 575July 26, 2019 6:21 PM

In the comics the Eternals are all supposed to be the pinnacle of human standards of beauty.

by Anonymousreply 576July 29, 2019 9:21 AM

[Quote] the Eternals are all supposed to be the pinnacle of human standards of beauty.

I guess they'll be using the LucyMAME filter on you-know-who.

by Anonymousreply 577July 29, 2019 9:24 AM

R576 In the comics, Makkari and Ajak are male characters.

by Anonymousreply 578July 29, 2019 9:28 AM

They didn't even announce their gay casting and already looking for a trans actor

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 579August 1, 2019 2:34 AM

How stringent are the Marvel producers about... verification...?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 580August 1, 2019 2:36 AM

another actor is reportedly cast, but I don't think this guy is gay either

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 581August 6, 2019 12:43 AM

r581 Yeah, he's straight. In related news, Gemma Chan is also in talks to join.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 582August 6, 2019 12:46 AM

Here's Queerty being dumb and saying Marvel confirmed Richard for the gay role, even though that never happened.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 583August 6, 2019 8:14 PM

Jeez. Is Gemma Chan the only cast member that doesn't look dog rough?

by Anonymousreply 584August 6, 2019 8:15 PM

Yes I was looking to see if Queerty is saying they got a tip, but they literally don't have anything they cite r583.

Guess I shouldn't be surprised, Queerty is pretty trash.

by Anonymousreply 585August 6, 2019 8:18 PM

Gay character confirmed.

[quote]JUST IN: @MarvelStudios president to @Ginger_Zee: “#TheEternals will feature Marvel’s first openly gay character...he’s married and has a family and it’s part of who he is.”

Now we wait and see if he's played by a gay actor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 586August 24, 2019 8:18 PM

Maybe this is an entre to Richard coming out?

by Anonymousreply 587August 24, 2019 8:28 PM

Odds of it being a side character with minimal screen time.

by Anonymousreply 588August 24, 2019 8:30 PM

r587 Richard is bisexual. It'll probably be some other out gay actor.

by Anonymousreply 589August 24, 2019 8:31 PM

They've been saying for months that the movie will have an openly gay lead character and that cast has been announced and set, so there isn't anyone else coming. Couple that with the rumor(?) that they wanted an "openly gay" or whatever actor for said role, really the only option is Richard Madden, which is why that is what the internet is running with, even though there's been no confirmation and he's not (at the moment, at least) openly anything.

If it's just relegated to some unannounced minor character with shit for screen time, that would unbelievable bullshit. (Although we should probably learn to expect that by now.)

by Anonymousreply 590August 25, 2019 1:47 AM

Above all, I don't understand the secrecy. Just fucking tell us who the actor playing him is already. Casting is over, so what's the problem?

by Anonymousreply 591August 25, 2019 1:53 AM

Cersi will be with Kit Harrington's character - but they still could do a love triangle with Madden x Cersi too. Ugh. Maybe Kumail or Brian will be the gay character. Which is what we've seen on tv already. The PoC side character, like Mr Terrific on Arrow. I want a HW Heartthrob/leading man type, someone like Evans/ Hemsworth/Chadwick Boseman etc to be the gay lead.

I also disagree with what someone posted here about Hercules. The Eternals will be key historical figures and mythology, Hercules could be altered to fit in with that. Yes, maybe comic lore is this and that specifics but Feige likes to simply things for the MCU.

by Anonymousreply 592August 25, 2019 2:07 AM

This is getting exhausting. Articles online keep claiming he's playing the gay character but there's still no "official" confirmation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 593September 8, 2019 7:09 PM

They obviously want a bit of mystery so they won't reveal who it is until after the movie comes out.

by Anonymousreply 594September 8, 2019 7:11 PM

r593 I know, and DL is full of those people as well. They're just setting themselves up for disappointment, but what can you do about it. 🤷‍♂️

[quote]“I think it’s hugely important, just the cast is so diverse. I’m a white male actor and not in the majority of this cast. I’m the minority, which is important in terms of diversity in filmmaking. I think Marvel are really at the forefront of that.”

Madden's quote on the matter couldn't be clearer. He's NOT the diversity hire.

by Anonymousreply 595September 8, 2019 7:13 PM

[quote]They obviously want a bit of mystery so they won't reveal who it is until after the movie comes out.

But why is the gay character the one who needs mystery? Why the double standard, unless they're afraid of China?

by Anonymousreply 596September 8, 2019 7:14 PM

r595 Is his quote that clear on the matter? He says he's minority among the cast, that might mean he's the gay character. I don't think it's clear at all.

by Anonymousreply 597September 8, 2019 8:43 PM

r597 It's perfectly clear - he's in the minority by the virtue of being the straight white guy, because the cast is so diverse. And so the diverse cast makes the majority in this movie. He'd never say that if he were the gay character, especially because Marvel has had no gay male characters.

by Anonymousreply 598September 8, 2019 8:46 PM

He says white male, not white straight male. As for diverse, very likely the rest of the cast is straight so gay is a minority. Which may apply to him.

by Anonymousreply 599September 8, 2019 8:49 PM

[quote]“I think it’s hugely important, just the cast is so diverse. I’m a white male actor and not in the majority of this cast. I’m the minority, which is important in terms of diversity in filmmaking. I think Marvel are really at the forefront of that.”

I take his statement to mean that he doesn't want to put his whiteness - whether it's straight or gay whiteness - at the forefront when you have a Latina, African American, Eurasian, Pakisani, Korean, and a hearing impaired Afro-Latina in the cast. That's the diversity he's referring to as that has been the push in the industry for the last few years.

by Anonymousreply 600September 8, 2019 8:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!