Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Charlie Barnett (What do we know)

I love Charlie Barnett playing Alan on Russian Dolls. Anyone know which team he plays for? Natasha Lyonne is very gay friendly so I am hoping that extends to her casting choices. He is so handsome in a non traditional way. Just love me some of him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 13, 2020 7:19 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1March 2, 2019 8:35 PM

Good actor?? or not??

by Anonymousreply 2March 2, 2019 8:37 PM

I liked him when he was on "Chicago Fire" for the first three seasons. He's in two gay-themed movies, "Gayby" and "Private Romeo.:

by Anonymousreply 3March 2, 2019 9:42 PM

... And he's going to play Michael Tolliver's boyfriend on the new Tales of the city!

by Anonymousreply 4March 3, 2019 1:15 PM

Gaydar is in FULL SIREN mode!!! Thank Goodness

by Anonymousreply 5March 3, 2019 7:59 PM

I liked him on Chicago Fire. I wish they hadn't fired him.

I think he's gay.

by Anonymousreply 6March 3, 2019 8:05 PM

Not traditionally handsome? Because he's biracial? The dude is conventionally, ridiculously hot.

by Anonymousreply 7April 11, 2019 1:02 AM

I agree he has a unique look very cute.

by Anonymousreply 8April 11, 2019 1:04 AM

Hot af!

by Anonymousreply 9April 11, 2019 1:04 AM

Why does he have that white boy hairline? The black man is supposed to keep his line up tighter than that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 11, 2019 1:10 AM

He doesn’t look black.

by Anonymousreply 11April 11, 2019 1:13 AM

He’s clearly a black man.

by Anonymousreply 12April 11, 2019 1:15 AM

His mother is Swedish. His father is something else.

by Anonymousreply 13April 11, 2019 1:35 AM

He is a black man.

by Anonymousreply 14April 11, 2019 1:37 AM

Despite these victories in visibility, Maupin had regrets about the lack of representation of people of color at 28 Barbary Lane. At an Outfest Q&A in 2017 for his documentary The Untold Tales of Armistead Maupin, the author called Tales of the City's all-white cast a "mistake," after an audience member noted how they did not feel seen in the series.

"I was scared as a writer that I would look uncool if I tried to represent people who were not of my race and didn’t do it well. That’s just stupid. I took on lesbians, and I didn’t think I knew anything about them. As I said in the [documentary], it’s about the human heart, so that was a mistake on my part," Maupin responded.

"We are really remedying that in the new Tales of the City, the new [Netflix] television series," promised Maupin. "If I’m given credit for educating the rest of the world, I’ve also been educating myself in this whole process. But yeah, I agree with you, and we’re gonna do something about it."

The Netflix revival of Tales of the City will premiere June 7. The first episode, screened at a Tuesday preview at the Los Angeles LGBT Center, does indeed show a more diverse Barbary Lane.

Although many of the central characters are still white — Linney and Dukakis have returned to reprise their roles, Murray Bartlett has taken on the character of Michael "Mouse" Tolliver, and Ellen Page is an addition as Shawna — the new Tales also features trans actors and actors of color, among them Garcia, May Hong, Christopher Larkin, Ashley Park, and Charlie Barnett. Bob the Drag Queen, a RuPaul's Drag Race alumnus and comedian, also has a role as a sharp-tongued bartender.

At a panel following the screening moderated by The Advocate's feminism editor, Tracy E. Gilchrist, Barnett — who portrays Ben Marshall, Mouse's love interest — was asked what it meant to bring black and gay representation to Tales of the City and the media landscape at large.

"It’s incredibly amazing of course," Barnett responded. "I was at home with my partner going over this question trying to figure out how to ... answer it. It’s incredible and I think we all know that, having that opportunity."

However, Barnett also noted it was "a lot of pressure" to bring LGBTQ representation in an arena when, even in 2019, many "voices aren't being heard," and "our entire community wants to see it reflected." He expressed sympathy for showrunner Lauren Morelli (Orange Is the New Black), for taking on that "kind of weight."

Barnett, a 31-year-old actor known for roles on Chicago Fire, Russian Doll, and an upcoming part in Netflix's You, knows the importance of representation firsthand. One of the first (and few) times he felt like he saw himself onscreen was Basquiat, a 1996 biopic about the black queer graffiti artist of the same name played by Jeffrey Wright.

"It was the first time I saw a man who looked like me and he was definitely open about his sexuality," Barnett said, adding, "That person understood who I was and I understood who they were. It gave me so many stepping stones to understanding my own emotions."

Barnett, who said he came out at 13 after his parents "basically sat me down and were like, homie" — a remark that drew laughter from the audience — cited his gay identity as one of his strengths as an actor.

"I’m incredibly thankful to have been born this way, it’s given me unbelievable gifts, and I know that each of my characters that I work on that are gay have some of those things that we would have to fight for — even today that I would have to fight for," he said. "It’s built up a certain kind of ability in myself as an artist that I’m forever fucking grateful for."

Tales of the City, a ten-part series, will drop June 7 on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 15May 23, 2019 12:07 AM

TL;DR R15.

Just link next time. If we want to read it, we will.

by Anonymousreply 16May 23, 2019 12:14 AM

I loved him on Chicago Fire. Happy that he came out. I always had a feeling he was gay.

by Anonymousreply 17May 23, 2019 12:22 AM

He’s hot AF

by Anonymousreply 18May 23, 2019 12:25 AM

Love black gay/bi millennials

by Anonymousreply 19May 23, 2019 12:25 AM

FOAD, R16.

by Anonymousreply 20May 23, 2019 12:27 AM

[quote]Charlie Barnett (What do we know)

WKWWTSHC.

by Anonymousreply 21May 23, 2019 1:26 AM

So hot

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 12, 2020 11:46 PM

Cute guy, and not a bad actor. Too bad the new "Tales of the City" was a total turd.

by Anonymousreply 23May 13, 2020 7:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!