Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Penn Badgley’s show YOU

Anyone else watching?

by Anonymousreply 224November 18, 2020 10:53 PM

I watched it. Hated the soap cliffhanger ending though. But it was pretty dark and very adult at times. I thought it would be something light like Gossip Girl, but boy, was I wrong.

by Anonymousreply 1January 1, 2019 6:12 PM

Watched and for the most part enjoyed its darkness. Didn’t care much for his gf.

by Anonymousreply 2January 1, 2019 6:14 PM

Hated what they did with Paco at the end.

I was hoping this would've been just one season and Joe dies or gets caught after all.

And god, how much do I hate this trope where victims beat their attacker unconscious and instead of bashing the attacker's head in to make sure he stays down forever they just turn their back on him and let him wake up and let him finish what he started. This happens twice on the show. And don't get me started with the whole sound proof torture chamber under a shop thing.

But I loved how the show made social media users look like the fools they are.

by Anonymousreply 3January 1, 2019 6:33 PM

Interesting sex scenes in the first few episodes

by Anonymousreply 4January 1, 2019 8:01 PM

Did he show YOU any ass or peen, OP?

by Anonymousreply 5January 1, 2019 8:14 PM

Nothing explicit when it comes to nudity. But you do get to see Badgley's furry chest.

by Anonymousreply 6January 1, 2019 11:09 PM

I loved it. And I loved the ending. It wasn't left a cliffhanger as R1 said

by Anonymousreply 7January 1, 2019 11:47 PM

Did anyone read the book? Did it end the exact same way?

by Anonymousreply 8January 1, 2019 11:53 PM

[quote] It wasn't left a cliffhanger as [R1] said

SPOILER ALERT.

Of course there is. His ex, Joe though was dead, showed up in the last scene.

by Anonymousreply 9January 2, 2019 10:37 AM

Sorry, Joe THOUGHT was dead,

by Anonymousreply 10January 2, 2019 10:39 AM

Why isn’t Badgley showing ass?

by Anonymousreply 11January 3, 2019 5:20 PM

Originally it was developed for Lifetime. Of course they are not showing any actual nudity. Second season will be done for Netflix from the start, so there might be some nudity from bit players (I doubt Badgley will do anything beyond going shirtless).

by Anonymousreply 12January 3, 2019 8:13 PM

What does everyone think of his chest hair pattern?

by Anonymousreply 13January 3, 2019 9:26 PM

Loved the bit where Joe pretends to be gay and switching the gender of his relationship partners to hide his true identity from the shrink (played by John Stamos).

by Anonymousreply 14January 4, 2019 5:54 PM

I really liked it. I think that, had it started on a platform like Netflix or Amazon, it'd be much better received. Lifetime is pretty much a joke.

by Anonymousreply 15January 4, 2019 8:50 PM

I watched a few episodes but it was just so ridiculous. Get some curtains bitch!

by Anonymousreply 16January 4, 2019 9:03 PM

Yes, I can't believe I am rooting for a stalker to find happiness.

Very well done in that you care about all the characters, except Peach, she needed to die.

by Anonymousreply 17January 5, 2019 8:37 AM

R15 UnReal was decent.....until the 2nd season.

by Anonymousreply 18January 5, 2019 9:14 AM

Lifetime had some great shows in the past like Drop Dead Diva & Devious Maids, but they ruined these shows with their micro-managing.

by Anonymousreply 19January 5, 2019 9:19 AM

Loved it

by Anonymousreply 20January 5, 2019 9:54 AM

Badgley does have a weird chest hair pattern. And his baby teeth are seriously distracting.

The screenplay forgot to mention that Joe has an invisibility cloak like in Harry Potter that enables him to be close enough to overhear conversations in crowded bars and restaurants but prevents anyone from seeing him even though HE'S SITTING RIGHT THERE. He also uses it when he's stalking Beck for hours outside of her apartment building, but she never once looks out of her first floor unit without any drapes to see him plainly across the street.

And it's not unusual at all for a girl who lives in a place like that to walk around without clothes on and to have sex with guys in plain view. Nothing to see here, folks. Move it along.

The scripts are also full of cheap contrivances like Joe just happening to have a garden plot when he has the kid go shopping for his body disposal kit. And like someone mentioned, the soundproof booth in the basement. Boy, that came in handy. Also, Joe having the car at his disposal and it being so solidly built that even though a rotting corpse is in the trunk, there's only a mild gamy aroma in the passenger area.

It's a bullshit series. You can watch a few episodes out of mild curiosity but Badgley isn't nearly charming enough to make the inane plot devices go away.

by Anonymousreply 21January 5, 2019 11:47 AM

OK. Just finished watching S1.

I noted in the Netflix Recommendations thread that if you aren’t able to suspend disbelief, this series isn’t for you. I also noted how easy it is to figure out certain outcomes, long before the outcomes play out on screen. I hope S2 does better with these issues.

All of that said, I enjoyed it. What was so perfect about this is that the mind of a stalker actually works like Joe’s.

I have had several stalkers, and one in particular reminded me of Joe. As a matter of fact, I still keep tabs on his whereabouts, because this asshole was completely obsessed with me. Fortunately, I believe he has found a new woman to stalk.

He did blatant shit, like rent an apartment up the street from me. He would get in an Uber, or borrow friends’ cars in order to follow me around. I caught him red handed several times, and he would conveniently use the excuse that he now lived up the street from me, therefore it wasn’t odd that he was at the local 7-11 at 1:00 am, just like I was. He even told people that I was stalking him.

There are some really fucking CRAZY people out there.

Finally, Penn Badgley’s chest hair is kinda cool! He’s not my type (too thin), but he’s cute AF, and he did a good job playing a psycho.

by Anonymousreply 22January 5, 2019 2:39 PM

I've never found Penn cute until this show, so I don't know what that says about me. I've never really seen a stalker portrayed like this. They usually always look like Joe Spinell from the movie Maniac - all fat, sweaty, and drooling.

You can really believe that someone who actually fall for him, because he does seem chivalrous and charming.

He really is entirely too thin, though. If he looks that thin on TV, I can't even imagine how he must look in real life. Maybe season 2 can be about his search for a cheeseburger. He'd look even more adorable with some meat on his bones.

by Anonymousreply 23January 5, 2019 7:21 PM

He has all the meat he needs. On his bones, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 24January 5, 2019 8:10 PM

Filmed on Block Beautiful 19th between 3rd and Irving.

by Anonymousreply 25January 6, 2019 12:01 AM

Which part, r25? Where she lives?

His apartment appears to be on Alexander Avenue in the Bronx, his bookstore on York and 84th.

by Anonymousreply 26January 6, 2019 12:04 AM

Whoever said suspension of disbelief was required was absolutely correct. Its premise is completely ridiculous, but it's great for hate-watching.

by Anonymousreply 27January 6, 2019 10:00 PM

I have lots of chest hair I've shaved a number of times but it never changed the amount or the pattern. PB just has a weird pattern to start with.

And boy, does that guy need to eat a sandwich.

by Anonymousreply 28January 7, 2019 12:03 PM

Well, they kind of explain why the guy is so thin. He gives his dinner to the kid next door lurking in the hallway while his mom and her boyfriend fight.

by Anonymousreply 29January 7, 2019 12:20 PM

Yeah, they showed that exactly once, r29.

I guess if you're going to like a show about a sociopathic killer you can root for because he's "cute," this is the show for you, but the many plot contrivances to keep Joe out of harm from being caught were ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 30January 7, 2019 12:27 PM

True. I think by the end I just considered the show pure satire where nothing was based on anything that could happen for real and just mocking life and romance.

by Anonymousreply 31January 7, 2019 12:33 PM

Even if Joe is going to escape every close call by the skin of his teeth, the show has to live in a universe where there are certain rules or it would be pointless. A lot of what happened in You was just lazy writing because making it a tad more realistic would have taken a little more talent.

by Anonymousreply 32January 8, 2019 12:39 AM

OMG I am watching the first episode and I pissed my pants when she gets fucked and then fingers herself in front of the giant first floor window.

by Anonymousreply 33January 11, 2019 3:24 AM

I've watched it up to the penultimate episode. I'm lost why Joe is so obsessed with Beck, she's a whiny self-absorbed mess who can't even hold a job. He could just as easily binge watch Girls and get the same dose of arrested narcissism. Right now Blythe and Ethan have the more interesting romance. And what the hell happened to Annika? She was the only tolerable one of Beck's friends who isn't a raging bitch.

by Anonymousreply 34January 11, 2019 3:40 AM

He shows ass in one episode. The chick playing his object of obsession sounds and looks like a poor woman's Jennifer Lawrence. I hate her. She practically kills what is a moderately enjoyable show that's pure trash.

by Anonymousreply 35January 11, 2019 4:29 AM

What’s wrong with getting fingered in public?

by Anonymousreply 36January 11, 2019 1:10 PM

So Joe is going to follow Peach in Central Park on a gorgeous sunny day and there will be absolutely no one else around? He's going to bash her head in with a rock to cause her to fall unconscious with blood pooling from her head but three days later she will be up and around like nothing happened and perfectly fine? There will have been no media hoopla about an attack in the park? Her wealthy parents wouldn't have taken some security precautions? She would then go off to the parents' apparently abandoned home in Greenwich, with no servants or guards, and go off for the day and leave the home unlocked when she thinks she has a stalker?

I could go on, but you get my drift. I know the show's creators don't care about any of this, but as someone who likes a little dose of reality with my drama, I had to get this off my chest.

by Anonymousreply 37January 11, 2019 3:05 PM

R37 yeah xD the Park attack was the one that made me go O.O!? Also the pee...… honey.... GL getting DNA from it ! that was my ok bitch you going too far. If someone took a dump then yes, but not pee. It deteriorates after a few hours.

Why am I the only one who liked Karen Minty ?

Also, Peach Salinger and Karen Minty are cute names to me.

by Anonymousreply 38January 11, 2019 3:15 PM

It’s a typical brain dead show from the Berlanti shit factory, but Penn Bagley really impressed me. He’s actually too good for the material. Not many people pull off crazy/sexy well.

He needs to do a show where he’s totally sexually objectified.

by Anonymousreply 39January 11, 2019 3:16 PM

[quote]Penn Bagley really impressed me. He’s actually too good for the material. He needs to do a show where he’s totally sexually objectified.

Now you're talking.

by Anonymousreply 40January 11, 2019 3:26 PM

Another small but ridiculous break with reality: he locks up his other rival in some kind of soundproof room in the basement of the bookstore and keeps them there for at least weeks, where there's no toilet.

by Anonymousreply 41January 11, 2019 4:08 PM

The show was ludicrous. The most sense the show made was when Joe, as a romantic gesture, threw pebbles at his girlfriend's window and smashed it by accident.

by Anonymousreply 42January 11, 2019 4:43 PM

I just binged the whole series. Reminds me a little of Dexter. I enjoyed it, even if it was entirely unrealistic in parts. One of the main sticking points for me though was how someone as thin as Joe had the strength to heave corpses around. Beck was a whiny pain in the ass, Peach was a total cunt, and Kathryn Gallagher's eyebrows deserved their own credits.

by Anonymousreply 43January 12, 2019 4:44 PM

Paco broke my heart until the end.... what a little fucking prick and murderer.

by Anonymousreply 44January 12, 2019 4:46 PM

I actually thought they were setting up for Paco to kill himself. That bastard Ron got what was coming to him.

by Anonymousreply 45January 12, 2019 4:49 PM

I've never really found Penn attractive until this show. He's very cute and charming, but does need a few cheeseburgers. I can't even imagine how skinny he must be in person if he looks that thin on screen.

Is it just me or did he sorta disappear after Gossip Girl until this show came around? I don't remember seeing or hearing anything about him for a few years until this.

by Anonymousreply 46January 12, 2019 4:51 PM

Almost all the Gossip Girl cast have vanished after the show and struggled to get work, minus Blake Lively. And when they did get work it flopped (Chace Crawford and Leighton Meester in particular).

Badgley has a pervert face, but seems really nice.

by Anonymousreply 47January 12, 2019 4:54 PM

Hahaha yes he really does R47. In scenes where he was schitzing out he had flashes of Jim Carrey in Cable Guy about him, like a kind of goofy menace.

by Anonymousreply 48January 12, 2019 5:01 PM

I don't know about you, but I'd love to sit on Penn's pervert face.

by Anonymousreply 49January 12, 2019 5:09 PM

His nipples are good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50January 12, 2019 5:10 PM

There used to be blinds about Penn being homo back in his gossip days, depending on the source they might be BS.

by Anonymousreply 51January 12, 2019 5:54 PM

Who aren't there blinds about?

by Anonymousreply 52January 12, 2019 6:16 PM

[quote] I have had several stalkers.

Mary? R22

by Anonymousreply 53January 12, 2019 6:20 PM

Penn's chest hair is beautiful, I don't get the comments here about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54January 12, 2019 6:20 PM

I like his chest hair, too. I'm glad he actually has some unlike so many of his contemporaries who feel he need to wax/shave everything within an inch of their lives.

by Anonymousreply 55January 12, 2019 6:38 PM

"Several stalkers," r22? Are you Lady Gaga?

by Anonymousreply 56January 12, 2019 6:42 PM

Often, he has waxed or shaved. I like him either way. He is beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57January 12, 2019 6:42 PM

Penn really has found his calling as crazy/hot. I wonder if he could pull off Tom Ripley.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58January 12, 2019 6:50 PM

Penn's the most attractive psycho since Anthony Perkins. He'd be a great Norman Bates.

by Anonymousreply 59January 12, 2019 6:55 PM

He has nice nipples

by Anonymousreply 60January 12, 2019 6:55 PM

[quote]Is it just me or did he sorta disappear after Gossip Girl until this show came around?

After Gossip Girl was canceled, he said he'd never appear on TV again. In 2017, he filmed a BBC series based on Agatha Christie's Ordeal by Innocence -- but all his parts were reshot by another actor when Westwick was accused of sexual assault by three women.

by Anonymousreply 61January 12, 2019 6:59 PM

^^Sorry, that was Badgley's costar, Ed Westwick. I've never heard anything bad about Badgley.

by Anonymousreply 62January 12, 2019 7:00 PM

Yeah I have heard some shit about what a perv Westwick is.

by Anonymousreply 63January 12, 2019 7:01 PM

The actress who played Beck was so bland. I watched the whole thing and I can't even clearly picture her face. When I try, it's like some weird amalgam of January Jones, Christina Applegate, and the girl from The New Normal.

by Anonymousreply 64January 12, 2019 7:11 PM

Bland is right. And what a stupid, unappealing cunt her character is.

by Anonymousreply 65January 12, 2019 7:13 PM

I'm seeing so many idiots talking about how problematic this show is on my Facebook feed. They think they're romanticizing a stalker. God, some people really need a fucking life. I honestly don't know how these people even wake up in the morning.

by Anonymousreply 66January 12, 2019 7:16 PM

That's easy, r66. Don't go places where people type "problematic."

by Anonymousreply 67January 12, 2019 7:17 PM

Problematic is such a stupid buzzword now and it keeps spreading. No one cares that a cheesy, fun Netflix show or a sitcom from 20 years ago is "problematic." If stories weren't problematic, they'd be boring. There'd be no conflict if all the characters were nice to each other all the time and never did bad things.

by Anonymousreply 68January 12, 2019 7:19 PM

I have a friend on FB that was saying the show was addictive and it led to a debate on his status and some people loving it and others attacking those that love it.

by Anonymousreply 69January 12, 2019 7:21 PM

Did they find it problematic, too? LOL!

by Anonymousreply 70January 12, 2019 7:24 PM

Oh, that was HILARIOUS, R70.

by Anonymousreply 71January 12, 2019 7:25 PM

R71 sounds cunty.

by Anonymousreply 72January 12, 2019 7:35 PM

Great show good looking guy with stunning hairy chest and nipples. But needs more nudity.

by Anonymousreply 73January 12, 2019 7:41 PM

God forbid something not have nudity....

by Anonymousreply 74January 12, 2019 7:46 PM

r74 hates seeing nudity of good looking guys. She finds it problematic.

by Anonymousreply 75January 12, 2019 7:53 PM

Why would anyone not want to see Penn's dong, if only to answer the "C or U" question?

by Anonymousreply 76January 12, 2019 7:54 PM

Not to mention verificata of sizemeat.

by Anonymousreply 77January 12, 2019 8:00 PM

Indeed, r77. I can't think of a single reason for YOU to go dong-free in season 2.

by Anonymousreply 78January 12, 2019 8:02 PM

One would think that, being on Netflix now, they can probably have more sex, nudity, language, and violence. Although, I must admit I was surprised by how much they got away with on Lifetime. There was a lot of naked ass, thrusting, masturbating, blood, and a few f-bombs thrown in there.

by Anonymousreply 79January 12, 2019 8:04 PM

Ummm I have nothing against nudity but I don't tune into TV series for nudity. That is just weird to me.

by Anonymousreply 80January 12, 2019 8:10 PM

Nobody here has said they tune in for just the nudity, r80. Not that that would be weird. If it's a hot guy and you know he's going to be naked, why wouldn't you tune in, FFS?

by Anonymousreply 81January 12, 2019 8:13 PM

I watch series that interest me. Not based on the hot naked guy.

by Anonymousreply 82January 12, 2019 8:52 PM

If he gets naked I will watch Season 2.

by Anonymousreply 83January 13, 2019 7:41 PM

R66

Maybe it’s time to grow up and stop following precious snowflakes.

by Anonymousreply 84January 13, 2019 7:53 PM

r84, maybe you need to fuck off. r66 was relating something about responses on their Facebook wall; they didn't say they were "following precious snowflakes."

by Anonymousreply 85January 13, 2019 9:46 PM

Yeah it's not like people follow or friend people expecting them to be idiots. Sometimes, you never know how stupid someone is until they post about a movie or TV show being problematic.

by Anonymousreply 86January 13, 2019 9:59 PM

I'm watching this now and enjoying it. The actress who plays Beck kind of reminds me of Emily VanCamp, which makes me wish Emily was playing Beck. Penn is distractingly attractive, but he's also very believable in this role and I hope he gets more work and attention as a result.

by Anonymousreply 87January 14, 2019 3:04 AM

I keep thinking about his nipples. Is this abnormal?

by Anonymousreply 88January 14, 2019 9:58 AM

[Quote] I'm glad he actually has some unlike so many of his contemporaries who feel he need to wax/shave everything within an inch of their lives.

It's not always by choice. Some of them are told they have to do it.

by Anonymousreply 89January 14, 2019 10:44 AM

Awww Penn still can’t believe so many people love his Joe performance

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90January 15, 2019 12:31 AM

Penn actually released a statement the other day denouncing his character. He feels many fans are romanticizing the Joe character and it’s not something to wanna be like or look for in someone.

by Anonymousreply 91January 15, 2019 12:38 AM

Quit whinging Penn and just embrace the attention.

by Anonymousreply 92January 15, 2019 12:50 AM

You,' a Dud for Lifetime, Has Become Netflix's Latest Water-Cooler Hit

Since Netflix unspooled season one on Dec. 26, You has taken the internet by storm. Its bleakly dark humor and subversion of rom-com tropes make You a prime candidate for viral success, and Netflix is very aware of that fact as their social media presence has become a shrine to the car crash romance at the center of the series. From retweeting viewers in awe of just how far the show pushes the boundaries to the unsavory crushes on the serial killer at its center to the Netflix U.S. Twitter bio which currently reads "Passively aggressively calling guys named Joe 'Joseph' since 1998," in reference to the tense relationship between Joe and Beck's best friend Peach, the service has thoroughly embraced the meme-able nature of You.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93January 15, 2019 10:59 PM

Jeez he’s already added another 100,000 followers since this morning.

He’s going to break out.

by Anonymousreply 94January 15, 2019 11:18 PM

This is hysterical to me. You was on Lifetime a few months ago and, like, 3 people were talking about it. It moves to Netflix and it explodes. I think this a sign of the death of the TV network. No one wants to watch a show live or even DV-R (after all, that takes planning, too and lots of people don't have cable) these days. They just want it instantly there whenever they want.

I know a lot of people who didn't want to watch it because it was on Lifetime. They figured it'd be awful. Lifetime really has become a joke, hasn't it?

by Anonymousreply 95January 16, 2019 3:08 AM

I haven't watched it yet, but two diametrically different friends of mine have recommended it in the last week: A 100% straight single player and a queen who was an original Gossip Girl fan.

Still dunno if I care. I get enough drama on the news and titillation in porn.

by Anonymousreply 96January 16, 2019 3:21 AM

I've loved Penn since John Tucker Must Die.

by Anonymousreply 97January 16, 2019 3:31 AM

He’s at 1.2 million now. Jeez.

by Anonymousreply 98January 16, 2019 8:29 AM

[Quote] I've loved Penn since John Tucker Must Die.

I'm still baffled as to how he was supposed to be related to Jesse Metcalfe lol

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99January 16, 2019 9:18 AM

He made a funny about his new one million followers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100January 16, 2019 10:20 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101January 16, 2019 10:26 AM

R95 it’s also a sign of the success of Netflix as a brand/tastemaker. People gave the show a chance because they trust Netflix’s taste, whereas many people wouldn’t bother with a show on Lifetime because that brand carries such heavy baggage as a pop culture joke.

by Anonymousreply 102January 16, 2019 10:33 AM

Indeed, r102. Lifetime could hardly have been depended on to carry such a heavy theme as "Men Are Bad."

by Anonymousreply 103January 16, 2019 10:46 AM

Jesus! Millie Bobby Brown looks 35.

by Anonymousreply 104January 16, 2019 10:52 AM

Penn is ridiculously good in it. Emmy-worthy.

by Anonymousreply 105January 16, 2019 10:54 AM

Penn needs to play an arrogant gay stud.

by Anonymousreply 106January 16, 2019 11:08 AM

Is it true that Badgley had his cheekbones insured for $5 million?

by Anonymousreply 107January 16, 2019 11:30 AM

R105, he really is quite good. I hope he breaks out in a huge way.

by Anonymousreply 108January 16, 2019 11:32 AM

Penn is very talented. I love a man with brown hair and brown eyes.

by Anonymousreply 109January 16, 2019 11:49 AM

Penn elevates the material. He is astoundingly good.

Have you guys seen that Jeff Buckley film he did? tiny indie, kinda awful, but he was SO GOOD as Jeff Buckley. SO SO GOOD. And he sang, live. Movie was terrible, though.

He deserves better material. I agree with whoever said he deserves an Emmy nomination for this show. Unlikely since the show is so silly.

by Anonymousreply 110January 16, 2019 12:26 PM

[quote]Penn Bagley really impressed me. He’s actually too good for the material. He needs to do a show where he’s totally sexually objectified.

Obviously. Of course, the one thing he could actually excel at he thinks he’s above.

[quote]Have you guys seen that Jeff Buckley film he did? tiny indie, kinda awful, but he was SO GOOD as Jeff Buckley. SO SO GOOD. And he sang, live. Movie was terrible, though.

AHAHAHA. The FUCK? Okay, Penn. Try not to be so conspicuous.

by Anonymousreply 111January 16, 2019 1:30 PM

He needs to do something like "Shame" which was a highbrow film but had Fassbender objectified nonetheless.

He just needs something where he unleashes his inner sexual animal.

by Anonymousreply 112January 16, 2019 2:22 PM

He was the only reason to watch Gossip Girl, I only watched his scenes. He was hot and still is. Glad he turned out to be a good actor when he got good material to work with.

by Anonymousreply 113January 16, 2019 2:27 PM

The younguns are gushing over this series. I endured the pilot, then lasted about 15 minutes into the second episode. I don't understand it- why would be be obsessed over her? But then, we don't know why people fixate on people (that poor Jayme Closs for example). And the aquarium flat that she lives in....does she only live in the front froom?

by Anonymousreply 114January 16, 2019 2:44 PM

R111

A Chair/Ed westwick fangirl. Go back to tumblr...

by Anonymousreply 115January 16, 2019 3:18 PM

I was obsessed with this show when t aired on Lifetime. It makes me wonder about all the cancelled/flop shows that would explode if they were just given new life on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 116January 16, 2019 3:59 PM

R111

lol, thanks for the laugh. I have never been accused of being Penn Badgley before.

does DL have a problem with him too? What did I miss?

by Anonymousreply 117January 16, 2019 4:03 PM

R111

I did a quick search for the film and all the critics have raved about Penn's performance in it. Peter Travers wrote a whole piece on it for Rolling Stone. So it is not an outlandish opinion.

You can google and check for yourself. Reviews are on RT.

by Anonymousreply 118January 16, 2019 4:05 PM

[quote]He was the only reason to watch Gossip Girl

Well...Lonely Boy certainly didn't suck, but "[italic]only[/italic] reason"?

by Anonymousreply 119January 16, 2019 6:57 PM

Gossip Girl bores me

by Anonymousreply 120January 16, 2019 7:22 PM

I didn't realize he was married. Not that I'd ever have a chance though.

by Anonymousreply 121January 16, 2019 7:25 PM

You numbers

The thriller starring Penn Badgley and Elizabeth Lail averaged about 1.1 million viewers (and only 611,000 in same-day ratings) during its run on cable in the fall. It has grown exponentially since debuting on Netflix in late December.

In the company's quarterly earnings report, Netflix says You is on pace to be watched by 40 million member households in its first four weeks on the service.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122January 17, 2019 8:47 PM

Why is “YOU” so popular?

I liked it but it wasn’t worth all this.

by Anonymousreply 123January 17, 2019 8:50 PM

Because sex and death are America’s national pastime, R123, only to be followed up by football, of course.

by Anonymousreply 124January 18, 2019 10:57 AM

His father on Gossip Girl was so much hotter

by Anonymousreply 125January 18, 2019 11:47 AM

I liked Rufus, too, r125, but GG had plenty of hot men. That's where I first encountered the magnificent Aaron Tveit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126January 18, 2019 1:57 PM

All the characters on this show are deliciously awful

by Anonymousreply 127January 18, 2019 2:04 PM

Man Bangs was also awfully delicious. As were the Humphreys, père & fils.

by Anonymousreply 128January 18, 2019 2:09 PM

Aaron Tveit is attractive but super vanilla

by Anonymousreply 129January 18, 2019 2:18 PM

Like I give a fuck about your opinion of what flavor he is, r129.

by Anonymousreply 130January 18, 2019 2:23 PM

R130 I’m pretty sure I wasn’t just stating my opinion. Never said you should “care”.

He’s hot though. Just someone that would probably not be super sexual. Very vanilla.

by Anonymousreply 131January 18, 2019 2:25 PM

Tveit was blander than bland. Totally ruined his part in the Les Miz movie. Looked more like a college frosh protesting for organic yogurt in the college dorm than a student revolutionary. Also, way too old for Danny Zucko. Obviously used some Just For Men to cover the gray.

by Anonymousreply 132January 18, 2019 2:30 PM

Tveit wasn’t good in Les Miz and I liked him in Grease Live but he was too old and looked it. Why did Danny have forehead wrinkle lines? lol.

by Anonymousreply 133January 18, 2019 2:36 PM

John Stamos is really good in this. The Beck character pisses me off, she's so unappealing.

by Anonymousreply 134January 19, 2019 7:47 AM

R57 he's very pretty there. I wouldn't call him underweight. But his pupils are very dilated, considering how much light must be used for filming.

by Anonymousreply 135January 19, 2019 10:31 AM

I listened to the audio book to this a couple of years back, and it was really well read. I would recommend it. The main character seduces you into rooting for him, despite yourself. I found it more compelling than the show. I couldn't get past 2 episodes.

by Anonymousreply 136January 20, 2019 6:08 AM

R136, how do you like audiobooks? I’ve only listened to an audiobook once, driving from L.A. to Frisco.

I absorbed the material well, however, I seem to prefer reading, than to listening. I do listen to a variety of podcasts while driving, yet seem to prefer the traditional “words on page”, when going through novels that are non-fiction, or fictional.

I think I prefer reading, because even though I am reading the author’s words, my internal voice is offered the ability to create the narrative as I understand it, rather than interpreting the narrative via the voice of the audiobook’s narrator. I suppose reading engages me more completely, and forces me to challenge my own interpretations, making me go back, and read a sentence once more, if I identify a disconnect between what the author wrote, vs. what I think I just read.

by Anonymousreply 137January 20, 2019 2:27 PM

I never liked being read to, even as a child. I could read when I was three, so it wasn't even necessary for someone to read to me.

by Anonymousreply 138January 20, 2019 2:33 PM

I, too, think Beck is a dismal, boring character, but I think the point is that Joe is an obsessive type -- it's all about him and not really about who he obsesses over. He developed his obsession for her over a five-minute pixie girl conversation. At that point, his wick was lit, and it didn't matter that Beck was a poseur and not nearly as intelligent and urbane as he originally thought. Because it wasn't about her.

by Anonymousreply 139January 20, 2019 11:02 PM

I just watched the first episode. I did think Penn was very good and there was some clever writing. However, I am not sure I want to spend ten hours/episodes with these people. This seems like something that should maybe be a two or three episode miniseries. I am tempted just skip to the last episode and see how Penn does when he completely drops his mask.

Beck does not seem like the brightest bulb, but it already seemed to be testing the limits of credibility of how Joe was able to do everything he did. I am guessing someone checking a gas leak in an apt is not just going to let someone claiming to be a boyfriend to waltz in and stay there, and no one noticed him standing outside her apartment for hours, when it seemed to be a pretty quiet street.

by Anonymousreply 140January 20, 2019 11:41 PM

So this was getting shit ratings on lifetime and it moves to netflix and overnight it gets a ton of buzz. Not sure why show creators approach cable and tv networks anymore!

by Anonymousreply 141January 20, 2019 11:57 PM

Yeah everyone is obsessed with this show now.

by Anonymousreply 142January 20, 2019 11:59 PM

Penn is very good

by Anonymousreply 143January 21, 2019 1:25 AM

R142 he makes a hot pyscho

by Anonymousreply 144January 21, 2019 1:30 AM

Penn Badgley makes a hot anything.

by Anonymousreply 145January 21, 2019 5:39 AM

Boing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146January 21, 2019 9:50 AM

penn has a band

by Anonymousreply 147January 22, 2019 4:05 AM

I wish they hadn't killed off Peach. She was the best character on this show.

by Anonymousreply 148January 22, 2019 4:07 AM

I just don’t see what he saw in that slutty dollar rent Jennifer Lawrence ,Becks girl.

by Anonymousreply 149January 22, 2019 7:12 AM

Penn’s teeth are weird but they make him hotter for some weird reason and his hairy chest is so hot.

by Anonymousreply 150January 22, 2019 8:34 AM

Penn is adorable but he’s also too thin now.

by Anonymousreply 151January 22, 2019 8:53 AM

R151 Hasn’t he always been this thin? I hope he gets an emmy nom he was the only reason this worked.

by Anonymousreply 152January 23, 2019 12:23 AM

His body is perfect just the way it is.

by Anonymousreply 153January 23, 2019 12:41 AM

R148 I know. They should have at least played Peach out for the entire season. The show lost some momentum when she died.

by Anonymousreply 154January 23, 2019 12:56 AM

When I watched the show, I got the impression we weren't supposed to like Beck all that much and I think it served the show well. We feel bad for her, but she also has a lot of problematic character traits (i.e. her selfishness, pretension, infidelity, laziness). I liked how they made Joe someone you can begrudgingly relate to and Beck as someone who wasn't entirely innocent. It made for interesting character dynamics.

by Anonymousreply 155January 23, 2019 1:26 AM

The writer of the novel did a follow up novel to YOU.

From what I understand, Joe ends up back with the ex girlfriend he thought he had murdered, but didn’t. She survived.

OK.

Anyhow, Joe ends up moving to LA, and does his best to control his sociopathic tendencies. In LA, he meets someone who’s as nuts as he is.

Quite appropriate. Hmmm.

by Anonymousreply 156January 23, 2019 5:38 AM

Yes, r156. That will be Season 2.

by Anonymousreply 157January 23, 2019 5:40 AM

R156 Actually sounds good idea for a season.

by Anonymousreply 158January 23, 2019 8:55 AM

Hope they cast better actors next season to help Penn. The Beck and peach actresses were so so. While Beck’s other friends and the tranny were god awful.

by Anonymousreply 159January 23, 2019 9:00 AM

Had to scroll through the thread because I want to binge watch this. Good word of mouth on the show and his performance. Had hopes for the new True Detective but it seems like a retread of the first season. And the lead is so joyless and one note that I find myself tuning out. And he's in almost every scene.

by Anonymousreply 160January 23, 2019 9:32 AM

Watch the show before you participate in this thread, r160.

by Anonymousreply 161January 23, 2019 10:59 AM

R159, surprisingly enough, I found Blythe to be one of the funniest and most enjoyable characters on the show. I've met that condescending Golden Child in many creative writing workshops.

by Anonymousreply 162January 23, 2019 9:36 PM

Beck's weird vocal patterns sound like Donna Dixon from Bosom Buddies. Annoying.

by Anonymousreply 163January 24, 2019 12:21 AM

Beck strongly resembles another actress. I can't think of who exactly. She kinda looks like Evan Rachel Wood, but that's not it.

by Anonymousreply 164January 24, 2019 12:36 AM

R164 jennifer lawrence

by Anonymousreply 165January 24, 2019 1:35 AM

I agree with whoever said she reminds them a bit of the actress who was on Revenge. Emily Vancamp.

by Anonymousreply 166January 24, 2019 2:39 AM

I dont think it's Jennifer Lawrence. Hmmm. It's driving me nuts.

by Anonymousreply 167January 24, 2019 3:28 AM

There was a girl late in the series on Gossip Girl whom Beck reminds me of.

She doesn't remind me of Emily Vancamp at all. Or that Jenniwhore person.

by Anonymousreply 168January 24, 2019 3:51 PM

There's something off-putting about the way that guy's mouth fits together.

by Anonymousreply 169January 24, 2019 3:52 PM

Looks like an opossum.

by Anonymousreply 170January 24, 2019 5:59 PM

R170 I think the teeth make him hotter! better than a mouth full of blindingly white fake veneers IMO.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171January 24, 2019 6:07 PM

Here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172January 24, 2019 6:12 PM

I love him with longer hair like at R171.

by Anonymousreply 173January 24, 2019 6:13 PM

R167 Joanna kulig?

by Anonymousreply 174January 24, 2019 8:53 PM

That picture gives me young Johnny Galecki vibes.

by Anonymousreply 175January 24, 2019 9:40 PM

I wonder if Candace and Joe have a Sid and Nancy thing going on, IF she’s even real and not a hallucination

by Anonymousreply 176January 24, 2019 9:48 PM

r175 Eeew...no.

by Anonymousreply 177January 24, 2019 10:02 PM

I really do not want Candance in the second season that actress was not good.

by Anonymousreply 178January 24, 2019 10:18 PM

This shit is so stupid.

by Anonymousreply 179January 24, 2019 10:20 PM

R179 wrong thread , whoops!

by Anonymousreply 180January 24, 2019 10:20 PM

The transgender was awful.

by Anonymousreply 181January 24, 2019 10:21 PM

R181 Right , if they are going to insist on casting trans as bio females they should at least be passable and decent at acting.

by Anonymousreply 182January 24, 2019 11:04 PM

Blythe was trans?

by Anonymousreply 183January 24, 2019 11:11 PM

R183 The brow ridge, man jaw or man shoulders didn’t give it away?

by Anonymousreply 184January 24, 2019 11:44 PM

The actress who plays Becks reminds of the woman who that Brooklyn director left Jennifer Jason Leigh for.

by Anonymousreply 185January 25, 2019 12:02 AM

The trans played the one who got killed in the Holocaust in season 2 of Transparent.

by Anonymousreply 186January 25, 2019 12:35 AM

Wait, there was dialogue in this show?

by Anonymousreply 187January 25, 2019 1:01 AM

He really doesn’t seem to like how society has embraced his Joe character.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188January 25, 2019 2:54 PM

Maybe Blythe will be revealed at trans in season 2.

by Anonymousreply 189January 25, 2019 2:59 PM

They should reveal she’s trans when it’s obvious to anyone with two eyes and ears.

by Anonymousreply 190January 25, 2019 3:03 PM

Blythe was annoying AF.

John Stamos looked like shit in this.

Beck looked like the blonde that gets killed in The Girl on the Train.

by Anonymousreply 191January 26, 2019 10:18 PM

I thought Beck was cute

by Anonymousreply 192January 26, 2019 10:27 PM

I knew Blythe was a man the second he showed up on screen.

by Anonymousreply 193January 27, 2019 10:10 AM

I knew Hari Nef was in the show, and the minute Blythe showed up, I realized she was played by them. Is the character a T? I don't remember.

by Anonymousreply 194January 27, 2019 10:37 AM

Reddit has a poster who says Elizabeth Lail reminds them of Sara Paxton.

Elizabeth Lail’s character, Beck, might be annoying AF, but Elizabeth Lail is very pretty. Much prettier than Jennifer Lawrence or Sara Paxton.

Her face also appears natural, without surgical intervention, or at least very little.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195January 27, 2019 1:38 PM

I didn't realize that Blythe was played by a T. I just thought she was really ugly, but I thought it was fitting since she hooks up with the bookstore troll. Now I totally see a guy when I look at her picture. I guess I just don't waste time examining ugly people.

by Anonymousreply 196January 27, 2019 3:54 PM

Did you watch Transparent, r196? She played the main T (the one Maura was related to) in the Magnus Hirschfeld Institute.

by Anonymousreply 197January 27, 2019 4:03 PM

No, I didn't watch Transparent. Not interested in the T, just the LGB.

by Anonymousreply 198January 27, 2019 4:08 PM

T or not, the first two seasons of Transparent comprise one of the best Jewish-American stories not written by Philip Roth, Bernard Malamud, or Saul Bellow.

by Anonymousreply 199January 27, 2019 4:23 PM

R87 I too was getting major Emily VanCamp vibes from the actress who played Beck

Also Peach was my fav character. The actress kinda looks like Jess Dover. (Only Australians will have any idea who she is)

by Anonymousreply 200February 24, 2019 8:09 AM

I'm Australian and I just had to google Jess Dover R200! Never seen or heard of her.

Elizabeth Lail really reminded me of Emily Vancamp to look at, but at times her voice sounded just like Jennifer Lawrence. In the image at R195 though, her eyes are giving me Emily Blunt vibes. She's a chameleon.

by Anonymousreply 201February 24, 2019 8:16 AM

I watched the show on Lifetime. No one was talking about it until it EXPLODED on Netflix.

Oh Beck, you should have had curtains. I liked the beginning and the end. The middle was a bit of a slog. Bring on Season 2 and more obsessions.

I like the way the show points out things that society thinks is romantic and are actually creepy as hell. Not that I google my dates...

by Anonymousreply 202February 24, 2019 8:30 AM

Yep.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203February 24, 2019 8:36 AM

Beck had sooo many opportunities to realize what a creep Joe was! If he had followed me to that book festival, I would have never spoken to him again, regardless of him finding out that my father wasn’t dead. This is the part when one realizes how fucked up both of these people are, but Beck wasn’t a psychopath, just a shitty woman, who lied and cheated. She should have had the wherewithal to put the breaks on it all, but her perpetual lying and cheating infantalized her to herself. She never grew up, because she continued to act out in irresponsible and immature behaviors. That’s what happens when you never take the time to take an honest look at your flaws and character defects. You cheat yourself out of true growth and maturity, and you end up in a series of inappropriate and ridiculous situations and relationships, while everyone else around you moves on, and have long term relationships and marriages.

It’s a huge lesson to learn, even in real life. And even though Beck and Joe aren’t real people, plenty of real people DO end up in fucked up situations and with fucked up partners, because they, themselves, find nothing wrong with the occasional lie, or occasional cheating, and as a result, end up with pretty low standards for a partner.

by Anonymousreply 204February 24, 2019 9:19 PM

[quote]She should have had the wherewithal to put the breaks on it all, but her perpetual lying and cheating infantalized her to herself.

The way your spelling does to you.

by Anonymousreply 205February 25, 2019 1:37 AM

I read both the books this show is based on and the second was so awful I could barely finish it. Hopefully the second season veers away from the book. And Penn needs to gain a little weight he was way too gaunt towards the end.

I like the girl who played Beck though. She was on Once Upon a Time and was adorable

by Anonymousreply 206February 25, 2019 2:30 AM

the second season is already being described as "loosely based on hidden bodies" so

by Anonymousreply 207February 25, 2019 3:42 AM

Penn Badgley is so hot, his voice and mannerisms were hypnothic enough to make me fall in love with the show. I really liked the way it satirized the absurd contrivances of the rom-com genre and how self aware Joe was in some moments. I did felt for him in the end, the abuse he suffered at the hands of the psychotic bookstore owner had scarred him for life before he even got a chance to love someone. I do hope that he ends up killing himself though.

by Anonymousreply 208February 25, 2019 6:41 AM

He really is hot and looks like a creepy pyscho pervert at the same time, perfect casting.

by Anonymousreply 209February 25, 2019 7:37 AM

Is he engraved on Melissa Benoist's bedpost?

by Anonymousreply 210February 25, 2019 7:39 AM

R210 who isn’t?

by Anonymousreply 211February 25, 2019 7:40 AM

It is crazy how this show got next to 0 attention when it aired on Lifetime, but as soon as it hit Netflix, it exploded. If that isn't the perfect summary for their power...

by Anonymousreply 212February 25, 2019 7:43 AM

R205, those are the breaks, yes? Spelling mishaps happen to the best of us. Being that I’m average, I’ll give myself a pass, and forego a few seconds of shame and self loathing.

by Anonymousreply 213February 25, 2019 2:18 PM

Just started watching.

by Anonymousreply 214July 24, 2019 3:40 PM

Beck is so basic. It’s what makes the show work, TBH.

by Anonymousreply 215July 25, 2019 2:22 PM

Season 2 trailer.

Out December 26th.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216December 5, 2019 3:38 PM

Yay! I finished Season 1 and it was much better than I expected. Penn Badgley took acting honors as the blond actress was shockingly bad.

by Anonymousreply 217December 5, 2019 3:45 PM

When will season 2 begin?

by Anonymousreply 218December 5, 2019 3:55 PM

I loved it specifically for how campy it was. Penn really stole the show. The blonde guy had a hot ass.

by Anonymousreply 219December 5, 2019 3:55 PM

Probably gay actor James N Scully is in season 2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220December 12, 2019 5:31 AM

Actually, I take that back. He is gay

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221December 12, 2019 5:34 AM

BUMP! Two days!

by Anonymousreply 222December 24, 2019 2:43 PM

Season 2 thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223December 24, 2019 2:45 PM

DL favorite Christopher Sean is joining the show in a recurring role.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224November 18, 2020 10:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!