Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Michael Che defends Kevin Hart

Reactions, anybody?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99December 13, 2018 3:26 AM

This is only okay to do to the gay population. A constant game of whataboutism where the desired result seems to be to let everyone slide because we're just fags. Nick Cannon said as much.

by Anonymousreply 1December 10, 2018 9:56 AM

Unimportant. Changes nothing.

by Anonymousreply 2December 10, 2018 9:56 AM

He has a point.

by Anonymousreply 3December 10, 2018 9:58 AM

It looks like they're campaigning to get him the gig back and have a chuckle amongst themselves about how jokes about hurting gay kids are in good fun and the reactions are overblown. If he get it back, we riot. It would represent a serious blow to the community.

by Anonymousreply 4December 10, 2018 9:59 AM

R3 He doesn't. Mel Gibson spent over a decade as a Hollywood pariah. Hart will have his career back to normal in a matter of weeks if not days.

by Anonymousreply 5December 10, 2018 10:00 AM

The homophobic black guys circling the wagons.

Shocking.

Take note. Remember who came to asshole Harts defense.

by Anonymousreply 6December 10, 2018 11:32 AM

It is them vs us—for sure.

by Anonymousreply 7December 10, 2018 11:45 AM

Mel Gibson’s career had been over for a decade. His production company folded. I believe he lost millions of dollars (more if I’m not mistaken). His career is *still over. Who are these people making comparisons?

by Anonymousreply 8December 10, 2018 11:47 AM

No, he doesn’t R3.

by Anonymousreply 9December 10, 2018 11:47 AM

"If Kevin Hart isn’t clean enough to host the Oscars, then no black comic is."

So...all black comics tell homophobic jokes? Should have thought that one through, Michael.

by Anonymousreply 10December 10, 2018 12:05 PM

[quote]The homophobic black guys circling the wagons. Shocking. Take note. Remember who came to asshole Harts defense.

R6, A lot of white people came to Kevin Hart's defense, too. Let's not forget that while you're taking stock of people's races.

I think the problem is that being gay is the lowest thing on the totem pole for many people. So you'll have white and black people coming together to attack us which is terrible but it's happening.

[quote]No, he doesn’t

He does R9 but that point is that the Academy doesn't have its shit together and they haven't for the past few years.

The problem is him equating "clean" with "not talking about gays negatively" later on his his comment and that rubs me the right way. Wanda Sykes is an example of someone who would never say anything Kevin said but he forgot she existed.

by Anonymousreply 11December 10, 2018 12:10 PM

Woo boy I should have said rubs me the wrong way.

I'm going to reserve "rubbing me the right way" for Colin Jost as long he never speaks to me.

by Anonymousreply 12December 10, 2018 12:12 PM

He's going for the sympathy play, R10/R11. Poor sad ol' black folks got not representation at the Oscars or in the media, and one of their biggest icons is in prison for raping 50 women. Can't you (the heterosexuals he's pandering to) just let us have this one? It's bullshit.

He's ignoring all the black comedians working, as you mentioned that aren't homophobes or ones that are even black AND gay. Don't see him campaigning to have Bob the Drag queen hosting the oscars. He's at least a lot funnier than hart. It's a dupe, what Che is doing. He's saying "this is just how we are, get over it." No.

by Anonymousreply 13December 10, 2018 12:15 PM

I just wish they'd stop with the 'people change' routine. Hart hasn't changed. He's unapologetic for what he said, and for what everyone knows his beliefs are. I can't believe people are playing the 'whose discrimination is worst' game - it's all shit, and it all creates animosity.

by Anonymousreply 14December 10, 2018 12:18 PM

The people who hire the hosts for the show have no control over the nasty old right-wing scumbags who vote for people like Mel Gibson. Comparing the two things makes no sense. When you say "the Oscars nominated Mel Gibson," you sound like a tool, because "the Oscars" did no such thing.

If Che is saying that there are a lot of people in the Academy who probably don't have a problem with a black guy doing anti gay jokes, he is right. But what does that even mean? That it's okay to hire a homophobe just because there are Americans and Academy members who are also homophobes, or don't mind homophobes? Ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 15December 10, 2018 12:26 PM

Maybe Michael Che needs to read this to understand why some gay people are offended by Hart. 'Faggot' is our word, now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16December 10, 2018 12:32 PM

Mel Gibson lost, I believe close to a billion dollars. His whole career is over, regardless of him being nominated. Robert Downy Jr asked that we forgive Gibson, and that didn’t go over well. If you’re racist, your career is done—immediately. You can’t compare the racists to the homophobes, society won’t allow a homophobic person to end up like Gibson, Deen, or Richards.

by Anonymousreply 17December 10, 2018 2:02 PM

F-ggot is nobody’s word.

by Anonymousreply 18December 10, 2018 2:13 PM

If a gay person ever called me a f-ggot or queer, there would be trouble for that gay person.

by Anonymousreply 19December 10, 2018 2:14 PM

I hate the fact that none of his defenders are acknowledging how powerful it is for a young gay kid to hear someone that they possibly look up to say he would hate to have a gay child along with the other nonsense. This isn't about political correctness or a double standard this ass hat and Nick Cannon are trying to play. Their selfishness is pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 20December 10, 2018 2:25 PM

I hate the word “queer.” It needs to go.

by Anonymousreply 21December 10, 2018 2:27 PM

Fuck off r21.

by Anonymousreply 22December 10, 2018 2:28 PM

Celebrities have never really been known about caring about kids, not even their own, and especially not when they feel their careers are on the line. If any of these people defending him cared about kids, they wouldn't be screaming "it's just a joke, you people are hypocrites and evil for saying a joke about physically abusing a gay kid isn't funny."

by Anonymousreply 23December 10, 2018 2:28 PM

[QUOTE]The homophobic black guys circling the wagons. Shocking. Take note. Remember who came to asshole Harts defense.

Is this the part where you post the statistics on interracial crime, R6?

by Anonymousreply 24December 10, 2018 2:29 PM

It’s weird how polite gay people are being about this. Would that politeness carry over if a white Republican made these statements? It’s not surprising that a black person feel this way about gay people and there is no difference between a black person and Republican on social issues. Black gay people don’t really care about gay rights, maybe 1 or 2 do, but as a whole, they don’t. And, I’m exaggerating the numbers who do, but I’m not far off there.

by Anonymousreply 25December 10, 2018 2:30 PM

Michael Che: mediocre unfunny asshole comedian defends mediocre unfunny asshole comedian.

by Anonymousreply 26December 10, 2018 2:45 PM

[QUOTE]It’s not surprising that a black person feel this way about gay people and there is no difference between a black person and Republican on social issues. Black gay people don’t really care about gay rights, maybe 1 or 2 do, but as a whole, they don’t.

It’s weird how much of an ignorant asshole you are, R25. Gay rights would be non-existent in this country if it wasn’t for the black votes that have been propping up the Democratic Party for decades now. It’s white people, particularly white women, who keep the Republican Party alive.

by Anonymousreply 27December 10, 2018 3:01 PM

R27–What planet do you live on???

by Anonymousreply 28December 10, 2018 3:18 PM

[quote]Gay rights would be non-existent in this country if it wasn’t for the black votes

😳😳😳

by Anonymousreply 29December 10, 2018 3:19 PM

What planet do you live on where black people and Republicans are the same on social issues? On what planet can you rationalize thoughts like “It is them vs us—for sure.” Who’s “them”?

by Anonymousreply 30December 10, 2018 3:26 PM

The limited rights that gay people enjoy in America -- primarily the right to marriage -- are the result of the courts. Gays are still not covered by any federal nondiscrimination legislation and efforts to get employment protection for gays have all sputtered out.

You are all delusional if you think gay people have the same rights as other minority groups.

by Anonymousreply 31December 10, 2018 3:27 PM

Okay, R 30–I have to block you because...no.

by Anonymousreply 32December 10, 2018 3:28 PM

Why do all of these single-post people come out the woodwork when it comes to racial discussions? Who the hell are you, R31? Let me gues: someone who doesn’t really give a shit about what rights gay people have and how we got them.

And thank you, R32. I’ll still be here responding to your idiotic racial resentment posts, however. Even if you clear your cookies.

by Anonymousreply 33December 10, 2018 3:32 PM

People are scared to confront black people about homophobia. Gay people especially are afraid of black people. Sam Kinison talked about gay people being “the sacred cow”. No, black people are. Black people and Muslims. Gay people, you can do whatever you want to them.

by Anonymousreply 34December 10, 2018 3:32 PM

[quote] Black people and Muslims. Gay people, you can do whatever you want to them.

All discrimination is wrong, period.

[quote]Gay rights would be non-existent in this country if it wasn’t for the black votes that have been propping up the Democratic Party for decades now. It’s white people, particularly white women, who keep the Republican Party alive.

The day white people accept that white women overwhelming voted for Trump is the day I'll eat my hat. Maybe if we did that we could figure out why that keeps happening.

[quote]What planet do you live on???

R27 clearly lives on Earth, R28.

[quote]It’s weird how polite gay people are being about this. Would that politeness carry over if a white Republican made these statements?

In what universe? We got the man fired from doing the show! Kevin Hart hosting the Oscars is a settled issue because we spoke up.

by Anonymousreply 35December 10, 2018 3:39 PM

[quote]It’s white people, particularly white women, who keep the Republican Party alive.

Sticking up for straight white dudes still won’t get you cock, r27, but you keep tryin’!

by Anonymousreply 36December 10, 2018 3:40 PM

Che is an idiot, really.

by Anonymousreply 37December 10, 2018 3:41 PM

[quote]Sam Kinison talked about gay people being “the sacred cow”. No, black people are. Black people and Muslims.

Hatred of people darker than Tomi Lahren is why Trump is in the White House. So no.

by Anonymousreply 38December 10, 2018 3:42 PM

[quote]The day white people accept that white women overwhelming voted for Trump is the day I'll eat my hat. Maybe if we did that we could figure out why that keeps happening.

Trump voters: White women 52%

White men 63%

College educated white women 44% (HRC 51%)

College educated white men 53% (HRC 39%)

But you already knew that.

by Anonymousreply 39December 10, 2018 3:44 PM

All this whataboutism, like R38.

by Anonymousreply 40December 10, 2018 3:45 PM

“Blacks are homophobes”

“Yes, but what about white homophobes?”

“Yes, do a search on Datalounge and find the hundreds of thousands of threads about white homophobes.”

“Racist!”

by Anonymousreply 41December 10, 2018 3:46 PM

Kevin Hart was fired or he stepped down/quit?

by Anonymousreply 42December 10, 2018 3:49 PM

Michael Che is an ignorant fuckhead. I will no longer watch his stupid show. Kevin Hart made these remarks about people's children only six years ago. He wasn't a teenager. 6 years in adult lives are like 1 year. He hasn't changed. He's a dick and he's not funny. I'm not being outrageously offended. This just isn't cool. Fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 43December 10, 2018 3:52 PM

It's great that the black vote has helped push along a more progressive agenda. It doesn't negate the fact that the majority of blacks are homophobic as are most hispanics and don't have gay rights as their motivation in voting. So it is hard to be thankful in that regard.

by Anonymousreply 44December 10, 2018 3:57 PM

[quote]It's great that the black vote has helped push along a more progressive agenda

For WHO? GAYS??

by Anonymousreply 45December 10, 2018 3:59 PM

What are the chances that Che will be forced to apologize like they made Pete Davidson do last month?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46December 10, 2018 4:00 PM

I'd say slim to none r46. SNL is pro-black but homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 47December 10, 2018 4:13 PM

And remember, r46, Davidson was only forced to apologise to that man because a black comedian voiced his displeasure.

by Anonymousreply 48December 10, 2018 4:14 PM

Che should be forced to apologize just for defending Kevin Hart?

by Anonymousreply 49December 10, 2018 4:14 PM

Che should be fired immediately but only because he has absolutely no talent.

by Anonymousreply 50December 10, 2018 4:15 PM

R49–why are you here? Should you be red tagged?

by Anonymousreply 51December 10, 2018 4:16 PM

I'm here, r51, because I'm gay and enjoy DL and have every fucking right to be here. And if just by questioning why Che should be forced to apologize gets me "red-tagged" (whatever the fuck that is) go ahead. And while you're at it go fuck yourself.

by Anonymousreply 52December 10, 2018 4:25 PM

This was linked in another thread already, but statistically, even though black people as a racial cohort are more homophobic, they are far less likely to approve of laws that take away gay rights or prevent gays from having human rights. They may be homophobic, but they vote for gay rights. All the people saying otherwise are just wrong. Citations can be found on the Wikipedia page.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53December 10, 2018 4:36 PM

Okiedokie—FF’d and blocked.

by Anonymousreply 54December 10, 2018 5:45 PM

R53 I live in CA. Prop 8 went through because of the high African American turnout to vote for Obama that also voted for the Prop to deny gay marriage. Both the hispanic and black religious leaders were encouraging their congregations to vote for the Prop. I live in a large hispanic populated city and the vote yes on prop 8 signs were out in large numbers at those households.

by Anonymousreply 55December 10, 2018 5:56 PM

R55 I believe that was proven false long ago back when Dan Savage first started making that assumption. Prop 8 was mainly funded by the moom church. Further, even if every black person stood up for gay rights they are 8% of the population, meaning it's still majority white people standing in the way of our rights. It's funny how white people aren't all written off as homophobic when they express antigay bias yet blacl people are apparently a monolith

by Anonymousreply 56December 10, 2018 7:35 PM

Do you live in CA R56?

by Anonymousreply 57December 10, 2018 7:59 PM

R56

Los Angeles County -- the state's most populous -- is particularly interesting to look at. In LA County, Prop. 8 won a narrow majority of 50.1 percent. But, President Obama carried the county with a whopping 69 percent.

The discrepancy? African American voters, who were overwhelmingly in favor of banning same sex marriage (70 percent supported Proposition 8) even as they supported Obama even more heavily (94 percent). And, to a lesser degree, Hispanic voters followed that same trend -- backing Prop. 8 by a 53 percent to 47 percent margin while giving President Obama 74 percent.

The explanation? Many largely black churches supported Prop. 8 while Hispanics, a heavily Catholic community, were more naturally inclined to side with their faith -- and against gay marriage.

by Anonymousreply 58December 10, 2018 8:00 PM

Can you post a link stating that was proven false, R56?

by Anonymousreply 59December 10, 2018 8:00 PM

Michael Che is talentless, homophobic trash.

by Anonymousreply 60December 10, 2018 8:37 PM

If this was a white guy we would t be having this discussion, because he would be vilified and tried like a fucking Nuremberg case. Personally, I don't give a fuck either way because like most Americans I don't watch the crappy ass Oscars. Also like most Americans(people in general) I find Kevin hart annoying as fuck. I also find Kevin hart extremely fruity so gay jokes from him are like an anti gay speech from ted haggard. You aint foolin anyone Ms. hart.

by Anonymousreply 61December 10, 2018 8:45 PM

Mel Gibson is back. His last film (Hacksaw Ridge) was nominated for multiple Oscars in 2017, including Best Picture and Best Director (Mel). It won two minor awards.

by Anonymousreply 62December 10, 2018 8:52 PM

Prop 8 in Cali -> same thing in Michigan with Prop 2 in 2004.

Two constitutional bans on the ballot - gay marriage ban in 2004 - passed 59% - affirmative action ban in 2006 - passed 58%

Only two counties voted majority AGAINST BANNING gay marriage: Ingham (Michigan State U), Washtenaw (U. of Michigan)

THREE voted majority against banning affirmative action: Ingham, Washtenaw... and WAYNE (Detroit)

What’s the demographic difference there, hm? Sure ain’t college educated whites. One came home to support their own buttered bread, but not their “gay allies.”

by Anonymousreply 63December 10, 2018 8:55 PM

Does anyone believe Michael Che would have spoken out in defense of a white comedian in trouble for an anti-gay joke or for any comedian in trouble for a 6-year-old racist joke?

by Anonymousreply 64December 10, 2018 9:03 PM

Who the hell is Michael Che and how does Kevin Hart have a career anyway? What a massively unfunny little troll of a man. His "comedy" is basically him looking surprised.

Someone how powerful it is for a young gay kid to hear someone that they possibly look up to say he would hate to have a gay child. Who the hell admires Kevin Hart anyway?

by Anonymousreply 65December 10, 2018 9:15 PM

Have we heard from Hart’s gay son yet?

by Anonymousreply 66December 10, 2018 9:20 PM

Hart would be hosting the Oscars if he had apologized for the comments as the Oscar Committee asked him to do. So if he is not the host no one else is to blame but Kevin Hart.

"This latest development occurred after Hart posted a new video on Instagram on Thursday evening, letting his fans know that he had received a call from the Academy asking him to apologize for his old tweets—or “we are going to have to move on and find another host.”

He added, “I chose to pass on the apology. The reason why I passed is I’ve addressed this several times. . . . I’ve said where the rights and wrongs were. I’ve said who I am now versus who I was then. I’ve done it. I’ve done it. I’m not going to continue to go back. . . . We feed on Internet trolls and we reward them. I’m not going to do it, man. I’m going to be me. I’m going to stand my ground. Regardless Academy, I’m thankful and appreciative of the opportunity. If it goes away, no harm, no foul.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67December 10, 2018 9:29 PM

r67 He could have just apologised and a line would have been drawn under the whole tedious affair. But no, he had to play the martyr.

by Anonymousreply 68December 10, 2018 11:06 PM

I wish people would start qualifying their assumptions about black homophobia and the black comedians who have said along with other comedians "I'll say what I want...I don't care it's what we do!" Again these are comedians ...They HAVE to get the laugh at any cost.

I'm gay black man and I think many people feel all blacks should be accepting because we are black and we know discrimination..this no more true than all Jews should be liberals because they were persecuted for centuries...Many Jews are right-wing and racist. I don't excuse Hart or that fiasco that Whoppi and Ted Danson had at the Friars club when he went Black face...Whoppi and Joan Rivers basically "so what if you're offended." We all need to learn from those responses...this is part of the entertainment elite that those racist Trump supporters always talk about. Just stop supporting and watching these guys.

They don't care what you think or how offended you are...even DL Hughley has said "I don't Care!" With this sentiment all of us are going to be offended at some point at something comedians have to say.

by Anonymousreply 69December 10, 2018 11:34 PM

R69 This isn't about a comedian making jokes that people are finding offensive. It's about someone expressing their personal belief.

by Anonymousreply 70December 10, 2018 11:51 PM

There’s no joke here R69.

by Anonymousreply 71December 11, 2018 12:39 AM

It's both, r70.

by Anonymousreply 72December 11, 2018 12:49 AM

What about Joy Reid? Her homophobia has been forgiven. Why not forgive Kevin Hart's homophobia? Just asking. Don't you dare accuse me of being a troll.

I am a proud gay man who believes that people can evolve. At the same time, Kevin hasn't presented any long-standing pro-gay track record like Joy's. His firing from the Oscars could be his watershed moment.

by Anonymousreply 73December 11, 2018 1:30 AM

What Megan Kelly said was so much worse.

by Anonymousreply 74December 11, 2018 1:32 AM

Christ, you Joy Reid trolls are tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 75December 11, 2018 2:09 AM

Be realistic. Joy Reid got away with lying about having her SM accounts hacked. When the women of The View compared her situation to that of Kevin Hart you could tell they all thought she was a liar.

by Anonymousreply 76December 11, 2018 2:12 AM

BRING BACK MEGYN KELLY.

by Anonymousreply 77December 11, 2018 2:13 AM

Bring back Step n Fetch It

by Anonymousreply 78December 11, 2018 2:19 AM

Good one R78.

by Anonymousreply 79December 11, 2018 2:24 AM

Michael Che is disgusting

by Anonymousreply 80December 11, 2018 2:32 AM

WHOA!!!!

HOWARD STERN DEFENDS HART.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81December 11, 2018 2:34 AM

[R70] Actually, I disagree. I think they mix the comedy act with how they feel...and they use their act to hide behind or justify it as just comedy. I'm a black gay man, I've never listened to him and stay clear of most today's comedians. I did watch the segment where he mentions something about not wanting his son to be gay and how he supposedly found him or his buddy grinding one another. He tried to blend homophobia with the humor of observing his son. BWT, Joan Rivers told a lot of gay jokes, but there was not homophobia camouflaged in the jokes. Everyone has rights in this country, but very few are responsible...I was brought up to think before you speak...laughable by today's standards. So I'm an antique.

by Anonymousreply 82December 11, 2018 4:21 AM

Michael Che is a tranny chaser.

by Anonymousreply 83December 11, 2018 9:32 AM

Dear DL Hughley and Micheal Che - was Al Jolson a "joke"?

by Anonymousreply 84December 11, 2018 9:52 AM

Maybe Michael Richards can host the Source awards. Since they are all about jokes and forgiveness and all

by Anonymousreply 85December 11, 2018 4:26 PM

Whatever I may think I thought about Joy Reid, I find that when she substitutes for Rachel or Laurence, I just don’t want to watch. Used to like her.

by Anonymousreply 86December 11, 2018 5:07 PM

I’m excited for Michael Richards’ return!

by Anonymousreply 87December 11, 2018 5:13 PM

R87 #METOO!!!

by Anonymousreply 88December 12, 2018 3:44 AM

I also no longer watch Joy Reid. The whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth.

by Anonymousreply 89December 12, 2018 5:55 AM

Che has already made homophobic remarks himself, so him defending Kevin Hart really isn't a big surprise.

by Anonymousreply 90December 12, 2018 8:08 AM

R59 Here is one of many articles disucssing how the idea that black people are what helped win prop 8 are false or at least exagerated - google it and you will find many more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91December 12, 2018 9:27 PM

Joy Reid is dead to me. Reid was raised by PhD's and she went to HARVARD. The idea she had to "evolve" on gay rights and being respectful is BULLCRAP. Her entire life was within educated milieu and stills he got her homophobic freak on, AS IF a person like that is not aware of REGISTER in language.

Total bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 92December 12, 2018 9:31 PM

lies lies lies lies lies lies lies lies lies lies

by Anonymousreply 93December 12, 2018 9:32 PM

Who a actually finds the midget funny? He is a midget black Dane cook. Straight people have shit taste.

by Anonymousreply 94December 12, 2018 9:32 PM

Want some truth? Joy Reid IS FUG!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95December 12, 2018 9:33 PM

My sentiments actually, and I am a black gay man...I don't watch Joy Reid anymore. DONE

by Anonymousreply 96December 13, 2018 12:12 AM

[quote] The day white people accept that white women overwhelming voted for Trump is the day I'll eat my hat.

You might want to learn what the word "overwhelmingly" means first. More white men voted for Trump and even they didn't "overwhelmingly" vote for him.

by Anonymousreply 97December 13, 2018 1:50 AM

+1 on Joy Reid. She's dead to me, and I used to like her. I just can't anymore.

by Anonymousreply 98December 13, 2018 2:16 AM

[R97] Well, actually, the number of white women who voted for trump ranges between 52% and 59%...the number varies, depending on the commentator. BTW trump reportedly said, "Blacks are too stupid to vote for him." Well, seeing the number of white women who did vote for him...well, he thanked them by nominating and getting Kavanaugh on the Supreme Court...I wonder who's feeling 'stupid'. now...

by Anonymousreply 99December 13, 2018 3:26 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!