Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Karen Carpenter.

Say what you will, but that voice was from another world. Just watched this documentary about her and Richard. Interesting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260March 7, 2019 3:34 AM

Happy Holidays, OP.

Thanks for the post -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1December 10, 2018 1:03 AM

She had a teeny-tiny voice but you wouldn’t know that from the recordings.

by Anonymousreply 2December 10, 2018 1:12 AM

It's hard to sing loud when you have to sing so low. I think her brother said the bucks are in the basement (the deep contralto is her $$ tone).

by Anonymousreply 3December 10, 2018 1:18 AM

Triple love her!I listen to the Christmas album every year.

by Anonymousreply 4December 10, 2018 1:20 AM

Karen Carpenter had the voice of an angel. Just beautiful - a voice like that comes around only rarely.

And I remember buying their 45 vinyl single, Merry Christmas, Darling.

by Anonymousreply 5December 10, 2018 1:23 AM

She had amazing vocal control.

by Anonymousreply 6December 10, 2018 1:24 AM

R5 Just like mine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7December 10, 2018 1:25 AM

The production was schmaltzy but Karen's voice cut through and elevated the material. She had a beautiful tone but she also sang with such soul and an underlying pain that resonated with listeners.

by Anonymousreply 8December 10, 2018 1:25 AM

Pure Eargasm.

Carpenter and Marilyn McCoo are my favorite 70s pop vocalists.

True, they're not in the same league as Warwick and Knight. Aretha and Streisand occupy a class by themselves, not to be included with mere mortals, but still, Carpenter and McCoo are just sublime.

by Anonymousreply 9December 10, 2018 1:33 AM

R9 Karen Carpenter with her velvety gorgeous voice was in a class all by herself. Her and her brother were musical prodigies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10December 10, 2018 1:43 AM

I wonder if she was related to Pocahontas Warren?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11December 10, 2018 1:45 AM

Logs on the fire, fill me with desire!

by Anonymousreply 12December 10, 2018 1:53 AM

New album came out last week:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13December 10, 2018 1:56 AM

She was a great artist. And she was uniquely American. I couldn't imagine her voice coming from anywhere else.

by Anonymousreply 14December 10, 2018 2:17 AM

She was the White Boomer Aretha.

by Anonymousreply 15December 10, 2018 2:30 AM

Her voice was even more amazing with the fact that she was a teen when she recorded some of those hits. She sounds so much older. Sad end for her. But she was the first big celebrity to bring Anorexia out in the open.

by Anonymousreply 16December 10, 2018 2:34 AM

It’s funny that there is an Olivia Newton John thread as well because she and Karen were best friends.

by Anonymousreply 17December 10, 2018 2:42 AM

That voice has been with me my whole life. I miss her so much . can you imagine what we would have today from her?

by Anonymousreply 18December 10, 2018 3:02 AM

I will never ever forget her.

by Anonymousreply 19December 10, 2018 3:05 AM

Lovely voice. Horrible arrangements even when the material was ok. Very sad life.

by Anonymousreply 20December 10, 2018 3:07 AM

[quote]Say what you will, but that voice was from another world.

Good thing, because her skeletor body wasn’t long for this world.

by Anonymousreply 21December 10, 2018 3:11 AM

Her voice was lifeless. She always sang like she was very depressed. I suppose she was.

by Anonymousreply 22December 10, 2018 3:15 AM

They're both fucking annoying as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 23December 10, 2018 3:16 AM

OP's link was the last in a series of documentaries that covered the same material, but each seemed to give a bit more detail as time passed. This was also the last time the guitarist was interviewed as he died just few years later...

by Anonymousreply 24December 10, 2018 3:20 AM

I highly recommend visiting her mini museum at the Carpenters Performing Arts Center on the campus of Cal State Long Beach and her mausoleum in West Lake Village, CA. It was moved there after Forest Lawn Cypress became to ghetto.

by Anonymousreply 25December 10, 2018 3:43 AM

[quote] It was moved there after Forest Lawn Cypress became to ghetto.

No -- i think it was because Richard moved to the north part of LA County and wanted to keep the family close.

by Anonymousreply 26December 10, 2018 3:44 AM

"She had a beautiful tone but she also sang with such soul and an underlying pain that resonated with listeners."

By no stretch of the imagination did Karen Carpenter's voice have "soul." Actually, it could rightly be called soulless; bland, homogeneous, monotonous.

by Anonymousreply 27December 10, 2018 3:44 AM

R27 Yes, she did have "blue-eyed soul" and a subtle emotional tone in her voice that drew you in. One of a kind!

by Anonymousreply 28December 10, 2018 3:49 AM

I heard she died young from morbid obesity. So sad. They must not have known about Keto back then or how bad carbs are.

by Anonymousreply 29December 10, 2018 3:51 AM

R22 - I’m with you! I think there’s always something dirge-like about her voice. To me it’s joyless and monotone. And they always had her singing very pop numbers with very cheesy arrangements...I always thought it was odd!

I would have loved to have heard her sing some Weimar cabaret stuff! She would have been perfect for that material...

Interesting tho is that she wanted to be a drummer (? I think it was) - and her voice was only discovered as an adjunct to that. Which is pretty fucking amazing! I mean -doesn’t appeal to me much - but what do I know? As is evidenced here - she had so many fans and millions love her.

Always makes me wonder how many awesome talents out there were passed over as they simply weren’t in the right place or never got a lucky break...

by Anonymousreply 30December 10, 2018 3:53 AM

R27 has beat me to it. The idea that Karen Carpenter had "soul" is pretty ridiculous. It's like listening to Queen Elizabeth sing.

What do you people hear when Aretha Franklin sings? Or someone like Dusty Springfield? Can't you tell the difference?

by Anonymousreply 31December 10, 2018 3:55 AM

The Carpenters should have been inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame long ago!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32December 10, 2018 3:57 AM

R31 Queen Elizabeth should be so lucky to have a voice like Karen Carpenter - she was one of those rare once in a lifetime vocalists.

by Anonymousreply 33December 10, 2018 3:59 AM

Karen Carpenter did not have an exceptional voice. She had a DISTINCTIVE voice. You always knew when a song was being sung by Karen Carpenter. But her voice was like a soporific; it was like ingesting a sleeping pill. And she sure as hell didn't sing like she had any soul, "blue-eyed" or otherwise. The Carpenter's songs were universally describe as MOR; middle of the road pop pap.

by Anonymousreply 34December 10, 2018 4:34 AM

Bitch should have eaten a burger.

by Anonymousreply 35December 10, 2018 4:39 AM

There was nothing soul-like about her voice, but she was incredible. She was definitely the first performer I was ever interested in following. My very first album of my own was one of their albums.

by Anonymousreply 36December 10, 2018 4:53 AM

I've always thought her voice was like vanilla ice cream that has just started to melt. And I mean that as a compliment. It was soft and smooth and creamy and sweet. It was very comforting and it saddens me that she was unable to overcome her demons.

by Anonymousreply 37December 10, 2018 5:02 AM

What is considered their best album? Did they have a “Rubber Soul”

by Anonymousreply 38December 10, 2018 5:18 AM

You are sweet, r37.

by Anonymousreply 39December 10, 2018 5:21 AM

What made Karen Carpenter's voice unique is that she began nearly every note a fraction flat (I'm talking a percentage of a comma, which is the smallest difference possible between two notes that are nearly identical in pitch ) and then centered the pitch EXACTLY in the dead center with her vibrato. In all of her recorded music that I've ever heard, there's never a note that doesn't get centered exactly in the middle. As someone who has worked with professional singers for over 40 years, I can say that that is extraordinarily rare. Maria Callas - a much greater artist - couldn't center her pitches that way. Aretha Franklin - no. Barbra Streisand - no. Others have this ability within certain parts of their range - but they don't have it across their entire range. Also, her diction is impeccable. You never miss a single word that she sings. I would agree that she doesn't sing with great passion, or with great power. I also agree with others that there is a tinge of melancholy in all of her songs, even ones that should be happy, judging by their words. She had the right type of voice for the light pop arrangements of her brother. She didn't have a Janis Joplin scream anywhere within her. I'm linking an interesting site that isolates her vocal track. In the absence of the so-called "cheesy" arrangements, you can really hear what her voice was doing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40December 10, 2018 5:51 AM

I also found this VERY interesting Karen Carpenter version of Ave Maria. She doesn't sing it in classical style, so there's a little breathier quality to the sound than you'd hear from someone with operatic training, but the accuracy of the pitch and clarity of diction is again pretty amazing. Also she sing through to the end of even long phrases without breaking them with breathing. Not easy......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41December 10, 2018 5:57 AM

To me, her voice had clarity, like crystal. I thought her boring as a teen but have really come to appreciate her as an adult.

by Anonymousreply 42December 10, 2018 5:58 AM

R38 - Toss up between The Carpenters and A Song for you.

by Anonymousreply 43December 10, 2018 6:07 AM

This cracker? Please, honey. I could blow her off the stage (and her fairy brother) with one gust of ganga. And, I did. Be real.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44December 10, 2018 6:14 AM

No straight guy wants to bang a bag of bones like this skeletal white chick.

by Anonymousreply 45December 10, 2018 6:16 AM

She’s someone lots of musicians greatly respect.

by Anonymousreply 46December 10, 2018 6:18 AM

[quote]She’s someone lots of musicians greatly respect.

No.

by Anonymousreply 47December 10, 2018 6:29 AM

Was her brother really into the cock?

by Anonymousreply 48December 10, 2018 7:18 AM

I'm sure you think that's funny, r44, but...............................no.

Richard and Karen and Miss Warwick If You're Nasty were good friends .

by Anonymousreply 49December 10, 2018 7:43 AM

“Horizon” was their best album.

by Anonymousreply 50December 10, 2018 1:06 PM

What do you mean, "say what you will," there has never been anyone that had any argument over the fact she had a beautiful voice.

by Anonymousreply 51December 10, 2018 1:36 PM

Best voice, ever.

by Anonymousreply 52December 10, 2018 1:56 PM

I read a biography of her, Little Girl Blue, last year, and it makes it quite clear that there was something deeply, deeply fucked up in the Carpenter family dynamic. Her parents idolized Richard and constantly tried to keep Karen's fame in check so she wouldn't overshadow her brother. Both siblings continued to live in the Carpenter family home even after they were rich, famous adults. Karen's mother, in particular, was a stone-cold bitch who seemed to in turns dismiss and denigrate her daughter. Richard was a total control freak who did his damndest to destroy Karen's confidence when she tried to make her one solo album.

Karen's anorexia didn't come out of nowhere: She was desperately trying to control the only thing she could control, her weight (and the early press stories when a healthy Karen was called plump didn't help, either). Though the book never suggests it, I also wouldn't be surprised if there had been sexual abuse by Richard at some point in their history. That dude is really weird: He did marry his first cousin, after all. (Yes, I know Mary Rudolph was adopted, but it's still weird.)

by Anonymousreply 53December 10, 2018 2:05 PM

R51. I guess I wrote "say what you will" because DL can be divisive. But that's why I love it.

by Anonymousreply 54December 10, 2018 2:07 PM

[R53] says it all. She needed to be away from her controlling, possibly abusing brother but he kept her on a short leash. He was in denial about her anorexia, stating she was "allergic" to food, which caused her to be so thin. Something seriously wrong with him, and it's too bad she could never be free of his influence. I don't care for their music and agree that her voice often seemed tired and lifeless, but I wonder what she might've done if she'd gone her own way, far from her brother's influence.

by Anonymousreply 55December 10, 2018 2:18 PM

Old Aggie, the mother, was a cunt to the end. She sure as fuk ain’t in heaven with Karen. I hope Aggie is burning in hell. God damned bitch.

by Anonymousreply 56December 10, 2018 3:38 PM

Karen was at her best on the downbeat songs like Superstar.

by Anonymousreply 57December 10, 2018 4:19 PM

I have often wondered if there was some form of physical or sexual abuse that Karen endured also. Certainly, mental abuse by mother as many have cited so far. Wonder if Richard was doing awful things. He is an odd one in that documentary.

by Anonymousreply 58December 10, 2018 4:25 PM

OP, did the documentary talk about her mother's constant criticism leading to her anoxeria?

by Anonymousreply 59December 10, 2018 4:28 PM

Oh yes, Agnes Carpenter was an ice-cold overly critical bitch who openly favored Richard and constantly put Karen down. Karen Ramone, who was the producer Phil Ramone's wife, was a close friend of Karen's and pulled no punches when talking about Agnes and also Richard in several Carpenters-related interviews she did. She was never fond of Richard either. Ramone said that Agnes's treatment of Karen was a major factor in the anorexia.

Unfortunately, in Karen's lifetime eating disorders were barely understood, unlike today. If Karen were around today she would've had much better treatment for her illness.

by Anonymousreply 60December 10, 2018 4:28 PM

Am I the only one here who appreciates Richard's elegant arrangements and his unique songwriting gift? While he's no Bacharach, Riddle or Gaudio, he was certainly a more than competent craftsman.

by Anonymousreply 61December 10, 2018 5:44 PM

Tragic

by Anonymousreply 62December 10, 2018 5:54 PM

I wonder if Olivia Newton John will ever speak of their relationship....

by Anonymousreply 63December 10, 2018 7:19 PM

She'd better do it fast if she's going to, R63.

by Anonymousreply 64December 10, 2018 7:21 PM

The Carpenters album tracks were just as good as their singles.

by Anonymousreply 65December 10, 2018 7:31 PM

I always wondered why ONJ never became as famous or revered as a singer compared to Carpenter and Streisand. She had amazing voice control, knew how to bring meaning and soul to a song (which Carpenter and esp Streisand never had).

by Anonymousreply 66December 10, 2018 7:37 PM

R61 Yes! Richard Carpenter was a Master Musician and his sister was his muse. They were an unbeatable team. But when she died he kind of faded away. One without the other wasn't good.

by Anonymousreply 67December 10, 2018 8:15 PM

The Carpenters were considered a joke in their day and rightly so. They were SO uncool. They had their fanbase, though, conservative people like themselves. Yes, RIchard and Karen Carpenter were conservative Republicans. They performed at the Nixon White House and he called them "American youth at its finest!" One of them would become a drug addict and the other would die of anorexia. Yes, the Carpenters were right wing snots. They had a particular dislike for glitter rockers; they called Ian Hunter from "Mott the Hoople" "that thing with the boots and the shades." My guess is that they were homophobic. Anway, all this love for the Carpenters is pretty funny when you consider how dull their music was and what awful human beings they were.

by Anonymousreply 68December 10, 2018 10:23 PM

ONJ pioneered teh breathy pop singing that were stuck with today. She was awful. carpenter had a beautiful vlice with awful arrangements and often sappy material.

by Anonymousreply 69December 10, 2018 10:41 PM

superb voice..........too bad she was so viciously controlled by her overly domineering brother and shrew of a mother. If she would have had more confidence she would still be with us. She was the goose that laid the golden egg and the mother and brother should have given her the space to grow as an artist.

I dont think Richard Carpenter has released one thing on his own unrelated to Karen carpenters unreleased material and the mother was nothing more than a housewife with a severe overattachment and unhealthy fascination with her son and should have stayed out of his son and daughter s careers. Richard marrying a cousin says all you need to know about his judgement. Pathetic disfunctional smothering family.

by Anonymousreply 70December 10, 2018 10:52 PM

Karen fans should check out Rumer's catalog:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71December 11, 2018 12:14 AM

There are dark secrets within that family.

There was something tragic about Karen. Not just the anorexia but she seemed plagued by something else.

And Richard is insistent on controlling everything about the Carpenters like Brian May is re: Queen.

He famously blocked Todd Haynes Superstar film where he uses Barbie dolls to tell Karen's tragic story. Although, oddly, it's still on Youtube and has been there for years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72December 11, 2018 12:47 AM

She sounded ridiculous singing uptempo numbers. No way could ever sound spritely and upbeat. Her mournful, melancholy voice was suited to depressing fare like "Superstar" and "Goodbye To Love" and "Rainy Days and Mondays" and sappy slop like "Close To You." Her range was very limited.

by Anonymousreply 73December 11, 2018 1:11 AM

“Her mournful, melancholy voice was suited to depressing fare like "Superstar" and "Goodbye To Love" and "Rainy Days and Mondays"”

That is a big range.

by Anonymousreply 74December 11, 2018 1:42 AM

R73 Your range of understanding is extremely limited. Karen Carpenter had one of the best, lush voices in the business.

by Anonymousreply 75December 11, 2018 1:42 AM

The two things that really sent Karen over the edge were her disastrous, brief marriage to a man who was a real grifter and con artist, and the shelving of her solo album. Karen was very proud of her solo album but her record company called it unreleasable and it devastated her. Her weight really plummeted after that. When you see pictures of Karen looking like a walking skeleton, they're from the last 3 years of her life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76December 11, 2018 1:44 AM

Is her solo album any good?

by Anonymousreply 77December 11, 2018 1:53 AM

Richard took all of the good songs from her solo album and put them on “Lovelines”.

by Anonymousreply 78December 11, 2018 1:56 AM

I listened to her solo album once and didn’t like it. Her voice was pure and mournful but none of the solo songs were right for her.

Superstar, A Song for You, and Goodbye to Love were her best. Everything else was overproduced schlock, thanks to “genius” Richard.

by Anonymousreply 79December 11, 2018 1:58 AM

Oh, please. She was not a good singer, her vocal cords were so thin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80December 11, 2018 1:59 AM

[quote]Is her solo album any good?

No, it isn't. The material wasn't all that great and she was singing in too high a register on most songs. The only exceptions were a song called "If I Had You," which isn't her best work by any means but it's still a pretty good song, and a very good cover of Paul Simon's "Still Crazy After All These Years."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81December 11, 2018 2:02 AM

She was falling apart by the time of the solo album.

by Anonymousreply 82December 11, 2018 2:14 AM

Loved her voice,just hearing about her asshole brother puts the pieces of the puzzle together for me.They were only good singing together,which in the end destroyed her.An ultimately them.So sad.Wonder if he realized the damage he did to his own stardom?

by Anonymousreply 83December 11, 2018 2:21 AM

There was always something weird and "off" about Richard.

by Anonymousreply 84December 11, 2018 2:25 AM

Karen Carpenter had a magnificent voice, filled with such melancholy and hurt. I would have loved to hear her do a Broadway/standards album with tracks like "Send In The Clowns", "The Man That Got Away", "Bewitched, Bothered And Bewildered", "I Don't Know How To Love Him", "Time Heals Everything", etc.. A suicidal album, for sure, but she would have slayed.

Whenever I hear her voice I think of the JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR lyric, "The haunted, hunted kind". There was something so viscerally sad just below the surface (and, later, on top) that we will never probably know all the details about... what a fucked up life. RIP.

by Anonymousreply 85December 11, 2018 2:37 AM

"Your range of understanding is extremely limited. Karen Carpenter had one of the best, lush voices in the business."

Your understanding of vocal ability is extremely limited. Karen Carpenter could do certain types of songs well enough (sad sound ones) but that was it. Her "lush voice" was in fact mediocre.

by Anonymousreply 86December 11, 2018 2:43 AM

r85 I'm sure Karen would've eventually done standards albums, had she lived.

r86 Karen is regarded as one of the best female vocalists of the 20th century.

by Anonymousreply 87December 11, 2018 2:47 AM

"Is her solo album any good?"

It was considered such a failure that it wasn't even released during her lifetime. She was trying to spread her horizons, branch out into different kinds of songs; some of the songs on the album were actually about (gasp!) MAKING LOVE. Little wholesome Karen Carpenter singing about sex? Why, it was unthinkable. Actually, aside from the shock of her singing about making love the album just wasn't very good. I think the Carpenters were on their way out as a musical act. I can't seem them doing their usual thing in the eighties and continuing to be successful.

by Anonymousreply 88December 11, 2018 2:48 AM

Laughing at r86 for their lack of understanding of people who understand the range of understanding.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89December 11, 2018 2:51 AM

I loved her voice and think she is one of the greats, but the solo album really is horrible.

by Anonymousreply 90December 11, 2018 2:51 AM

Didn't he solo album come about because Karen wanted to keep working, but Richard was in recovery at the time?

by Anonymousreply 91December 11, 2018 2:53 AM

"Karen is regarded as one of the best female vocalists of the 20th century."

Maybe by some people. But not everyone is bowled over by her dull, bland singing. I always thought she sounded like she'd taken a few Quaaludes before recording sessions. At any rate, during their heyday thier popularity confounded critics. With their output focused on ballads and mid-tempo pop, the their music was often dismissed as being bland and saccharine, which is way. I think Karen Carpenter's early death has an invigorating effect on her and her brother's popularity. If she were still alive, I think they'd both probably be considered uncool relics from the seventies.

by Anonymousreply 92December 11, 2018 2:56 AM

"Laughing at [R86] for their lack of understanding of people who understand the range of understanding."

""Lack of understanding of people who understand the range of understanding?" That doesn't even make sense. What's really understood is that you are an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 93December 11, 2018 2:58 AM

Not really. It just means that you don't have a clue about what others understand innately.

And you're a smug shit about it.

by Anonymousreply 94December 11, 2018 3:01 AM

Actually, R94 it just means you're in love with Karen Carpenter. You poor thing.

by Anonymousreply 95December 11, 2018 3:06 AM

It's past your bedtime, little girl. Go on, now.

by Anonymousreply 96December 11, 2018 3:18 AM

R91. Yep. In treatment for the Qualudes to which Mommy got him addicted.

by Anonymousreply 97December 11, 2018 3:35 AM

Unreleased tracks

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98December 11, 2018 4:27 AM

"Is her solo album any good?"

It was considered such a failure that producer Phil Ramone’s pal, Paul Simon, told Karen she was a washed up failure then kicked her in the vagina bone.

by Anonymousreply 99December 11, 2018 6:59 PM

Karen's best solo track:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100December 12, 2018 12:49 AM

She really was unconvincing with uptempo songs. Please Mr. Postman is a good example---she just seems out of her depth with it.

by Anonymousreply 101December 12, 2018 1:36 AM

Richard Carpenter blocked her solo album's release for 13 years. One critic wrote:

What, you may wonder, could Karen have done that was so offensive? Had she gone punk? Made a comedy record? Sung out of tune?

In fact, her many admirers will be relieved to hear, the album, simply titled Karen Carpenter, is reassuringly bland. As might be expected from a solo project, Karen attempted to stretch her wings, but, while she flirts with some contemporary styles, she never strays too far from the middle of the road. With accomplished producer Phil Ramone behind the controls (a role he fulfilled for Barbra Streisand, Billy Joel and Paul Simon) and Billy Joel's band backing her, the album features some lightly disco-flavoured pop, a touch of gentle rock and, predictably enough, an abundance of ballads. Karen never sings a note out of place and fills the arrangements with her trademark harmonies.

The sticking point appears to have been Karen's tentative attempt to shed her virginal image. Come-hither titles such as "Making Love in the Afternoon", "Remember When Lovin' Took All Night" and "Make Believe It's Your First Time" display a sexual awareness that had never been part of the Carpenters' repertoire.

"Phil's idea of maturity was to have her singing explicit lyrics," Richard complained to the Carpenters' biographer Ray Coleman. "Paul Williams wrote fine lyrics for Rainy Days and Mondays and We've Only Just Begun without any gratuitous reference to sex. Ramone had her singing "My Body Keeps Changing My Mind." Is that supposed to be mature?"

by Anonymousreply 102December 12, 2018 1:41 AM

The whole dynamic of The Carpenters was creepy as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 103December 12, 2018 1:43 AM

Karen was a grown-ass woman. She could sing about any topic she wanted. And Richard feeling the need to comment on her singing a song with chaste sexuality at the least is creepy.

by Anonymousreply 104December 12, 2018 1:44 AM

"Karen was a grown-ass woman. She could sing about any topic she wanted."

I've never heard her solo album (and don't want to) but I suspect she sounded ridiculous singing those suggestive songs. Her image was set in stone; wholesome and virginal. I'm pretty sure her audience would never have accepted her as a "mature' singer. To them she would always be little Karen, one of the clean-cut Carpenters who always sang such soothing, inoffensive songs.

by Anonymousreply 105December 12, 2018 1:57 AM

[quote]Her image was set in stone; wholesome and virginal. I'm pretty sure her audience would never have accepted her as a "mature' singer.

Mariah Carey had that type of image when she started out and was with Tommy Mattola. Didn’t take her long to break free.

by Anonymousreply 106December 12, 2018 2:00 AM

This is not a joke post, but Karen and Mama Cass were introduced by a mutual friend and had dinner together- and spent the night singing. Too bad there weren't camera phones back then.

by Anonymousreply 107December 12, 2018 2:02 AM

[quote] The whole dynamic of The Carpenters was creepy as fuck.

The whole decade of the 70s was creepy as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 108December 12, 2018 2:19 AM

Thanks OP, I enjoyed that documentary.

Could their careers survived in the 80s? I don't know. A lot of the 80s was image and real songwriting ended with the end of Bacharach-David songs. We are still lacking quality songs.

In a way I could see Karen as some indie singer now. That is what she'd have to be. The radio does not play songs, real songs for a mass audience now. It 's all junk and niches that are catered to.

I agree the up-tempo songs didn't suit her.

In a way, like Whitney : a great voice, but was in a time when songwriting was dying , and surrounded by negative family and music industry forces.

by Anonymousreply 109December 12, 2018 2:31 AM

Karen pinged my gaydar off the charts. Maybe her family, if they were honest, picked up on this too. Unfortunately, in Agnes' ultraconservative mind, that would have given even more reason/justification to psychologically abuse Karen.

by Anonymousreply 110December 12, 2018 3:05 AM

If only Cass had given that last sandwich to Karen, R107. Both might have still been with us.

by Anonymousreply 111December 12, 2018 3:08 AM

Not that sandwich story again. Even in jest, it keeps alive a pathetic urban legend.

by Anonymousreply 112December 12, 2018 3:10 AM

If Karen had lived, she probably would have done Broadway in the 80's. Show like Pirates of Penzance, maybe Sondheim musicals. Gone on tours, then recorded an album of standards. Probably a few. Then she and Richard might have opened their own dinner theatre in the San Fernando Theatre. She would always work, and always keep a following.

by Anonymousreply 113December 12, 2018 3:42 AM

I have Karen's solo album and I think the reason it failed is because it wasn't produced by her brother, Richard Carpenter. Without him at the helm she sound different, foreign, and not really herself. No one could handle her beautiful voice properly but Richard.

by Anonymousreply 114December 12, 2018 3:47 AM

For those of you on the theatre discussion thread, she could have made a great Sally in Follies revival! ;-)

by Anonymousreply 115December 12, 2018 3:48 AM

“Merry Christmas Darling” a surprising #1 Christmas song. “Last Christmas “ #2. Both classics are my all time favorites.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116December 25, 2018 2:26 PM

From VERONICA by Mary Gaitskill -

[quote]“When she shut herself up in her closet and starved herself to death, people were shocked. But starvation was in her voice all along. That was the poignancy of it. A sweet voice locked in a dark place, but focused entirely on the tiny strip of light coming under the door.”

by Anonymousreply 117December 25, 2018 2:42 PM

.That is a great novel, R117.

by Anonymousreply 118December 25, 2018 2:55 PM

A few minutes into this interview, the British interviewer names anorexia, and a clearly perturbed Karen denies it outright. So sad that she didn't get the "right" treatment that might have saved her.

And I realize tastes vary, but I don't know how anyone hearing that voice can not be touched by its sheer beauty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119December 25, 2018 3:02 PM

r119 Karen looks absolutely awful in that video. I don't know how anyone could've seen that and not thought that something was seriously wrong with her.

by Anonymousreply 120December 25, 2018 3:15 PM

What a cunt interviewer in the clip of R119.

by Anonymousreply 121December 25, 2018 10:34 PM

Brilliant singer. Some goddamn person in her studio told her to lose a few pounds — she had an eating disorder on steroids

by Anonymousreply 122December 26, 2018 3:58 AM

How is she a cunt, r121? Karen was obviously ill and at least the reporter didn't ask fawning or bullshit questions. She asked the questions people watching the interview would want to be asked. She didn't dance around the elephant in the room.

by Anonymousreply 123December 26, 2018 5:32 AM

Karen Carpenter was before my time, and I wonder if people back then had some idea that something was wrong with her.

by Anonymousreply 124December 26, 2018 5:51 AM

Richard looked hung. I would have sucked him and then started him fuck me raw.

by Anonymousreply 125December 26, 2018 6:04 AM

My Richard, r125? He was a total bottom, dear.

by Anonymousreply 126December 26, 2018 6:09 AM

Richard was the pass around bottom of Downey. How he ever produced kids is a miracle.

by Anonymousreply 127December 26, 2018 6:50 AM

DL, Richard is still married to Mary and has 5 children. I thought he was gay.

by Anonymousreply 128December 26, 2018 7:58 AM

R128 Married with 5 kids? First clue!

by Anonymousreply 129December 26, 2018 8:39 AM

Richard looks good!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130December 26, 2018 8:42 AM

Previous poster recommended "Little Girl Blue" re the Carpenter family dynamics. "The Dragon Lady" was the name given to mother Agnes Carpenter by the musical group's tour members. Just wow.

A lot is revealed in just the book's free preview at Goodreads, linked, including a statement by Dionne Warwick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131December 26, 2018 4:30 PM

R131 I'm optioning the movie rights!

by Anonymousreply 132December 26, 2018 5:06 PM

This girl don't write "introductions", we make statements. That's just how it is, roll with it. RIP Kare

by Anonymousreply 133December 26, 2018 10:36 PM

Richard was the Downey Cumdump.

by Anonymousreply 134December 27, 2018 12:31 AM

Richard seemed so gay, but he was straight. As far as we know.

by Anonymousreply 135December 27, 2018 2:47 AM

The mother was horrendous.

by Anonymousreply 136December 27, 2018 3:17 AM

Yes something weird about the family, but I thought she hero-worshipped her brother. To the point where it seemed like she had a crush on him. And wasn’t she jealous of any interest he had in other women? It didn’t seem all Bad Richard to me.

by Anonymousreply 137December 27, 2018 4:41 AM

Agnes was such a cunt to Karen. Years ago, before Richard moved his families’ bodies to their new mausoleum, I visited Karen’s resting place. Because Karen and her parents were interred into the wall, I couldn’t piss on Agnes’ grave, but I sure as fuck farted on it. The old cunt.

by Anonymousreply 138December 27, 2018 11:59 AM

Back in the early 2000s, Richard had a new tomb built in a cemetery that was close to his house and had Karen, his father and his old cunt mother exhumed from Forest Lawn and planted in the new tomb. Kind of creepy, imho.

by Anonymousreply 139December 27, 2018 3:07 PM

It's not unusua to rebury someone closer to where living family reside. OTOH, spent 100s of thousands on the new crypt which just seems odd.

by Anonymousreply 140December 27, 2018 11:40 PM

R109 said the uptempo songs didn't suit Karen's voice, yet two of her three No. 1 songs were uptempo.

by Anonymousreply 141December 28, 2018 12:48 AM

[quote]I always wondered why ONJ never became as famous or revered as a singer compared to Carpenter and Streisand

Olivia was a HUGE star back in the day. Her fame was bigger than the Carpenters without a doubt. Two number one solo albums, five number one singles. A hit movie.

She tied with Streisand several times as the most popular female singer.

by Anonymousreply 142December 28, 2018 1:08 AM

Did she record this in hopes of landing the role of Evita?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143December 28, 2018 1:10 AM

"R109 said the uptempo songs didn't suit Karen's voice, yet two of her three No. 1 songs were uptempo."

She sounded ridiculous singing them. Who knows why some bad songs are so popular? I vaguely remember "Top of the World" and that version of "Please Mr. Postman" they did. They were both execrable songs but both were big hits. I guess some people adored the syrupy sound of the Carpenters and were willing to buy anything they put out.

by Anonymousreply 144December 28, 2018 1:18 AM

When Gary Cooper's widow remarried, she moved from Hollywood to Long Island. After a while, she missed visiting Gary, so had him dug up from Holy Cross Cemetery in LA and moved to Sacred Heart Cemetery in Southhampton...

by Anonymousreply 145December 28, 2018 1:37 AM

Someone owns Gary Cooper's original grave plaque.

Karen and her family had been in an indoor crypt before being moved. All the names/dates have been erased from that original tomb

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146December 28, 2018 1:55 AM

R144, since both songs were hugely popular, I guess your opinion is in a distinct minority. I loved both songs, and wished Karen had done more uptempo songs, instead of getting pigeonholed with ballads.

by Anonymousreply 147December 28, 2018 1:57 AM

"Since both songs were hugely popular, I guess your opinion is in a distinct minority."

I think a lot of people hated those songs. A lot of people hated the Carpenters. They were considered a joke by a lot of music critics in their day, totally boring, totally bland MOR crap.

by Anonymousreply 148December 28, 2018 2:06 AM

Karen and her short term hubby...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149December 28, 2018 2:42 AM

Damn. He was cute and she looked happy.

by Anonymousreply 150December 28, 2018 4:35 AM

The Carpenter's music has been appreciated much more as time went on, just like ABBA.

by Anonymousreply 151December 28, 2018 7:11 AM

"He was cute and she looked happy."

"Cute?" I don't think so. He does look very gay, though (that hair!). And poor Karen was just trying to put a brave face on things. An article talked about her disastrous marriage:

Despite the disastrous effect Karen's weight loss had on her periods, she had always wanted children and in 1980 she met a handsome property developer called Tom Burris. Two months later they decided to marry.

This set off alarm bells for Karen's friends and as the wedding date neared, Karen discovered some devastating news. Tom had had a vasectomy before he had met her and had neglected to tell her, despite her wishes to have children as soon as possible. He offered to have the operation reversed but Karen decided to call off the wedding.

When she told her mother, Agnes said she would do "no such thing" and ordered her to go through with the wedding because friends and family were travelling especially for it and it had already been paid for. And Karen did.

The marriage to Burris was a disaster. While Karen assumed he had his own money -- he drove flash cars -- it became apparent he was broke. He spent her money, asking for anything up to $50,000 at a time until she had nothing but investments left. He was cruel and impatient with her, calling her a "bag of bones" and telling her he would never have a child with her. Karen filed for divorce in 1981.

by Anonymousreply 152December 29, 2018 11:50 PM

She could have afforded to lose a few.

by Anonymousreply 153December 30, 2018 12:05 AM

Karen Carpenter tracks

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154January 13, 2019 9:31 AM

There’s a new commercial that copies the Carpenters.

by Anonymousreply 155January 15, 2019 8:48 AM

She should've sung "If I Had A Hammer," if only for the novelty value.

by Anonymousreply 156January 15, 2019 8:53 AM

At a private Globes after party last night, this legendary permanent A-list actress and comedienne was asked who the worst behaved guest on her long running, forever in reruns show was.

She answered without hesitation that the worst was the male half of that singing sibling duo, who was a complete control freak over his sister's appearance. She's also convinced he was on coke. What's worse was that the duo's mother was hovering around the set like a vulture.

The legendary funny lady said things came to a head during a lunch break in the TV studio commissary. The mother gave the chef strict orders to give her daughter a bowl of soup and a glass of water. The funny lady, concerned, offered the singer a tray of food. Enraged, the brother swooped down and took the tray from his sibling. Then, the mother came up to the legend and yelled at her to never do that again.. and slapped her daughter on the face in front of the stunned cast and crew. Her brother was also yelling at her like she was a little girl.

The legend and her producer husband had the mother kicked out of the studio. Very disturbing.

Carol Burnett (Karen Carpenter and Richard Carpenter/"The Carpenters")

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157January 15, 2019 9:14 AM

Aggie was such a CUNT. I hope she’s burning in hell.

by Anonymousreply 158January 15, 2019 10:06 AM

The Carpenters were on Carol Burnett's show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159January 15, 2019 1:13 PM

It was ME. Jimmy still beats me daily!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160January 15, 2019 7:19 PM

you just watched a documentary about she and Richard, nor her and Richard.

by Anonymousreply 161January 15, 2019 8:01 PM

Karen had an extremely disfuctional family and if she had more of an ego and some self esteem she would have bolted from them early on and established herself as a solo act. RIchard was taleneted behind the scenes but was a zero on stage. Richard endded up marrying a first cousin and in my opinion is a very bizarre human being. The mother was nothing but a first class cunt. Poor Karen. One HELL of a voice tho.

by Anonymousreply 162January 15, 2019 8:07 PM

Karen should've told her brother and mother to fuck off and gone solo in the mid-70s. She probably would've been a very successful solo act and maybe her illness would not have become so extreme. It was in the late 70s that her anorexia really went overboard.

by Anonymousreply 163January 16, 2019 12:05 AM

Fuck you forever, Aggie Carpenter. A kunt in hell.

by Anonymousreply 164January 23, 2019 9:24 PM

[quote]you just watched a documentary about she and Richard, nor her and Richard.

About her and Richard is correct. Object of the preposition.

by Anonymousreply 165January 23, 2019 9:35 PM
by Anonymousreply 166January 24, 2019 12:25 AM

Did her pussy stink?

by Anonymousreply 167January 24, 2019 1:09 AM

I bet her breathe did...from all that puking 🤮.

by Anonymousreply 168January 24, 2019 1:19 AM

r168=Kelly Osbourne

by Anonymousreply 169January 24, 2019 1:22 AM

They invested in Real Estate, there's apartment buildings in Downey named Close to you and Only just begun. A fan pointed out how pathetic she was on one of the Christmas specials. She's (literally) tossing salad for all the guests, her arms are mere sticks.

by Anonymousreply 170January 24, 2019 1:34 AM

She was a closeted lez. That is why she starved herself.

by Anonymousreply 171January 24, 2019 1:46 AM

I don’t think she was a lez. I think her mother was a CUNT! Fuck you Fucking Agnes Carpenter. Cunt.

by Anonymousreply 172January 24, 2019 2:20 AM

Anorexia is such a mind boggling mental illness. All anyone who suffers from it has to do to save themselves is EAT. I understand that anorexics have a skewed version of themselves, thinking they're fat when they're bone thin. I know that's the way they think. But it still amazes me. How can they STARVE themselves to death? A gymnast name Christy Henrich was told by a gymnastics judge that she would have to lose weight if she wanted to make the Olympic team (she was 4'11 and weighed 90 lbs.). That night she virtually stopped eating. She never recovered from her anorexia; she said I know I need to eat. I know I need the nutrition. I know I need it to live. But food is like a poison to me." When she finally died of anorexia she was 22 years old and weighed less than 50 lbs. She would have lived if she had just been able to eat. Such a sad story. All she had to do to live was eat.

by Anonymousreply 173January 24, 2019 2:33 AM

She has been singing for the Lord for nearly 37 years now.

by Anonymousreply 174January 24, 2019 3:28 AM

[quote]She's (literally) tossing salad for all the guests

She was eating their asses? What a hostess!

by Anonymousreply 175January 24, 2019 3:36 AM

[quote]She has been singing for the Lord for nearly 37 years now.

Is that why Jesus killed her? He likes an audience of one.

by Anonymousreply 176January 24, 2019 3:37 AM

That BBC documentary was interesting, but It had too much Richard.

He was part of the problem, as were her horrible parents.

by Anonymousreply 177January 24, 2019 3:38 AM

Lovely voice (some overly dipthong-y vowel production to my ear) but I think if she had lived she would have moved on to do albums like Streisand...standards, Broadway, duets, etc...

by Anonymousreply 178January 24, 2019 3:44 AM

Karen's story enacted by Barbie Dolls is really creepy. Even creepier is the deliberately selected Carpenters' songs used to accompany the creepier scenes: "I'm on Top of the World" when Karen was long gone into Anorexia. Such a feelin's comin' over me There is wonder in 'most ev'ry thing I see Not a cloud in the sky, got the sun in my eyes And I won't be surprised if it's a dream Everything I want the world to be Is now comin' true especially for me And the reason is clear, it's because you are here You're the nearest thing to heaven that I've seen

by Anonymousreply 179January 24, 2019 3:52 AM

^^ This scene was of a "Barbie Doll" starved Karen admiring herself in a full length mirror while this song is playing.

by Anonymousreply 180January 24, 2019 3:55 AM

Watching that documentary made me realize that the Carpenters were basically a cover band.

Their first three singles had been recorded by other people (on was a bank commercial).

Has any other big acts succeeded so much by recording covers of other people's songs?

by Anonymousreply 181January 24, 2019 2:05 PM

Covering other people’s material was something that was done a lot in the 60s and 70s. Linda Ronstadt did it until she retired but I would never consider her a covers act.

And Richard did co-write a good number of their songs: Top Of The World, Yesterday Once More, Goodbye To Love, I Need To Be In Love, Merry Christmas Darling, and Only Yesterday...to name a handful.

by Anonymousreply 182January 24, 2019 8:29 PM

Covering was a rarity after the early 60s-----covers often were a matter of white acts like Pat Boone or someone similar white bread covering black artists, or they might be acts out of the same evironment like some of the early girl groups. The two Motown versions "grapevine" were very unusual. Linda Ronstadt's excrable Motown covers thankfully didn't start any trends.

by Anonymousreply 183January 25, 2019 1:46 AM

Dis cracker done sang my goddamn song, too. But I did it better, as if anyone questioned. Fuck her. Peace out

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184January 25, 2019 3:04 AM

Here are the "Close to You" nd "Only Just Begun" aprtments in Downey. Basically the same generic stucco covered stuff you find all over southern California.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185January 25, 2019 3:11 AM

Um, sorry Dionne: "so they sprinkled moondust in your hair, and golden starlight in your eyes of BLUE"....I don't think you could've carried off that line.

by Anonymousreply 186January 25, 2019 3:12 AM

Listening to R184 is the first time I've ever truly appreciated the cheesy, creepy Richard Carpenter.

His arrangement is so much better than that one.

And Karen sang the song that made Dionne sound as if she was distracted by looking for batteries int he back of a desk drawer.

by Anonymousreply 187January 25, 2019 3:24 AM

Has Karen's former husband ever given an interview?

by Anonymousreply 188January 25, 2019 4:20 AM

Karen Carpenter is the motherfuckin BOMB. classy upscale white woman beautiful voice. love it. my connecticut sister. she wasn't even close to fat. that wouldn't even be an issue today. not with these girls today. haha. rest in peace Karen.

by Anonymousreply 189January 25, 2019 5:18 AM

Anyone who thinks Karen Carpenter was straight seriously needs to have their gaydar fixed.

by Anonymousreply 190January 25, 2019 7:30 AM

This video is so hilariously cheesy.

Two fun facts:

1. The other woman in Suzanne Somers; and

2. Whoever did Somers' makeup hated her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191January 27, 2019 10:46 PM

Dionne praises her highly in OP's video

by Anonymousreply 192January 27, 2019 10:50 PM

I'm not doubting her talent, but I can't listen to her. I have to change the channel on the radio when she comes on. Her voice flicks on a switch in my head that sends me into instant black depression. No other singer has that effect on me.

by Anonymousreply 193January 28, 2019 12:47 AM

Not black depression. Sweet melancholy better describes it

by Anonymousreply 194January 28, 2019 12:56 AM

Linda Ronstadt made her comeback after Stone Ponys remaking old rock covers.

by Anonymousreply 195January 28, 2019 4:05 AM

36 years ago today. She’s been gone longer than she was alive. Forever missed.

by Anonymousreply 196February 4, 2019 11:14 AM

February 4 , the day the music died.

by Anonymousreply 197February 6, 2019 12:49 AM

She had a voice like silk, effortless and smooth.

by Anonymousreply 198February 6, 2019 1:12 AM

Karen Carpenter died on February 4, 1983 at 32 years of age. She left us 36 years ago. The gifted lady with the voice of an angel will always be remembered.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199February 6, 2019 4:03 AM

Close To You.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200February 6, 2019 4:05 AM

Has anyone seen that Dunkin' Donuts commercial where the man and woman are singing? Is it just me, or does the woman look exactly like Karen?

by Anonymousreply 201February 7, 2019 12:27 AM

If she had lived, it would have been interesting to see how she evolved. I am a big fan.

by Anonymousreply 202February 7, 2019 12:30 AM

Did her pussy stink?

by Anonymousreply 203February 7, 2019 12:33 AM

Voice of an angel

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204February 7, 2019 12:34 AM

I think if Karen had lived and matured, she would've told Richard to fuck off and done more solo work.

by Anonymousreply 205February 7, 2019 12:35 AM

But body of an 11 year old boy.

by Anonymousreply 206February 7, 2019 1:07 AM

Voice of an angel.

by Anonymousreply 207February 7, 2019 2:28 AM

She didn't have "the voice of an angel." She had the voice of a very depressed woman. No matter what she sang it always sounded as if she were down in the dumps.

by Anonymousreply 208February 7, 2019 2:41 AM

Since angels don't exist, it seems rather stupid to call her the voice of one.

by Anonymousreply 209February 7, 2019 2:50 AM

Bless the Beasts and the Children...

by Anonymousreply 210February 7, 2019 3:15 AM

Japanese Karen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211February 7, 2019 3:21 AM

R209 Yes, angels exist, and Karen had an angel-like voice.

by Anonymousreply 212February 7, 2019 3:29 AM

R212 is an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 213February 7, 2019 3:33 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214February 7, 2019 3:54 AM

Japanese Karen is amazing!

by Anonymousreply 215February 7, 2019 4:47 AM

She had the voice of a sinful whore!

by Anonymousreply 216February 7, 2019 5:32 AM

Her brother liked the peen.

by Anonymousreply 217February 7, 2019 5:34 AM

Very AM sound. Only old people liked The Carpenters from what I've heard.

by Anonymousreply 218February 7, 2019 5:54 AM

She had the voice of a gorgeous seductress.

by Anonymousreply 219February 7, 2019 6:02 AM

For R209, though I agree with you, I don't believe in angels. Anyhow - Merriam Webster - one of the definitions of "angel"

"a person who is like an angel (as in looks or behavior)" [and everybody knows the "idea" of an angel, even if they don't exist - like you could say a person could look like a leprechaun or a bridge troll, though there aren't any]

by Anonymousreply 220February 7, 2019 6:11 AM

Minnie Riperton had the voice of an angel. Karen, like someone else here noted had the voice of a very depressed woman.

by Anonymousreply 221February 7, 2019 8:12 AM

The haters remind me of that scene from Tommy Boy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222February 7, 2019 8:15 AM

Karen Carpenter did have the voice of an angel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223February 7, 2019 3:01 PM

She really did have an amazing voice—very unique. But the music was pop, nothing special.

by Anonymousreply 224February 7, 2019 3:57 PM

I don't know her, but I know she wouldnt dog walk the Grammys like me.

by Anonymousreply 225February 7, 2019 4:14 PM

r224 the Carpenters had some great songs.

by Anonymousreply 226February 7, 2019 4:20 PM

I was a radio-listening kid when the Carpenters came on the scene, and they were fun and ubiquitous but definitely not cool to openly like. I always thought her voice sounded like that of one of the old big-band songstresses, like Jo Stafford or Rosemary Clooney. She was like a crooner.

by Anonymousreply 227February 7, 2019 4:27 PM

I agree with those who think Carpenter's voice was the voice of Depression with a capital "D." I can't listen to her for that reason: instant mood-killer.

by Anonymousreply 228February 7, 2019 5:55 PM

I guess I'm dense - nothing about her voice makes me think of depression. Now, knowing what happened to her, I do think about that when I hear her, but growing up - I delighted in the rich, dulcet tones she had in that velvet contralto. Maybe an expert on singing would know - does she have more "layers" in her thick voice, as opposed to a thin one? Well, anyway, I love it. Reminds me a little of an oboe.

by Anonymousreply 229February 7, 2019 6:00 PM

No - I think I was wrong and an oboe is higher than I thought. One of the saxophones maybe - alto or tenor.

by Anonymousreply 230February 7, 2019 6:03 PM

I always wondered, did Karen record Don’t Cry for Me Argentina as a bid to play Evita? If Karen would have lived a month longer she would have died the same age as Eva at 33. She had already missed joining the 27 club with Jimi, Jim and Janis.

by Anonymousreply 231February 12, 2019 2:50 AM

Acapella (near)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232February 12, 2019 2:57 AM

Karen would be 69 years old today.

by Anonymousreply 233March 2, 2019 7:11 PM

Anorexia

by Anonymousreply 234March 2, 2019 7:41 PM

69 - the same as her weight.

by Anonymousreply 235March 2, 2019 7:42 PM

I remember their songs coming out and being everywhere on the radio and the cool kids not liking them because they were so syrupy and corny. I agreed publicly but privately I adored Karen’s beautiful voice and the gentle lyrics.

She’s been dead for so long. It takes my breath away just thinking about how long it’s been. Christ.

by Anonymousreply 236March 2, 2019 7:48 PM

^^^ Her singing was so soothing. She wasn't popular among the rock n' roll crowd back in the day, so I kept it to myself as well.

by Anonymousreply 237March 2, 2019 7:56 PM

She’s been dead longer than she was alive. Still beloved and missed to this day.

by Anonymousreply 238March 2, 2019 8:02 PM

Whether or not one likes her music, her voice literally had a different quality to it than just sound. You could almost feel it (silk, warm cream?, molten metal thickly flowing?). I can't describe it. But there is a word for when someone senses something through a different modality than intended. "Synesthesia"? I think?? Not sure. But you almost felt her voice. It was so resonant and true and spot on. Fuck it. I can't describe it. But it hits neurons deep deep within my cortex.

by Anonymousreply 239March 2, 2019 8:13 PM

"She wasn't popular among the rock n' roll crowd back in the day, so I kept it to myself as well."

Yes, the Carpenters were considered to SO uncool. And they were; bland, wholesome, squeaky clean. Pure middle of the road. They were so G-rated that Karen's solo album was deemed unreleasable because it contained songs of a sexual nature. Apparently the notion of little Karen Carpenter having sex was unthinkable.

by Anonymousreply 240March 2, 2019 8:20 PM

The Carpenters recently were voted the best 70’s male/female duo group on Today’s Throw Back of the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s music. After all these years people are willing to acknowledge how well they were liked. Well, Karen that is.

by Anonymousreply 241March 2, 2019 8:31 PM

I'm with R239 - her voice was so unique and rich. I have one of their Christmas CDs with "O Holy Night" as an instrumental. Does anyone know if she ever recorded it? I can't find anything on YouTube.

I read an article years ago and I can't remember who said it, but they were jokingly wondering if she had a third lung because she could sing an incredibly long phrase on one breath. Two good examples are from "I'll Say Goodby to Love:"

"Time and time again the chance for love has passed me by and all I know of love is how to live without it"

"Surely time will lose these bitter memories and I'll find that there is someone to believe in and to live for"

by Anonymousreply 242March 2, 2019 11:37 PM

Japanese Karen Carpenter at R211 was splendid.

by Anonymousreply 243March 2, 2019 11:58 PM

Is the"Wicked Witch" mother who created Karen's emotional problems still with us?

by Anonymousreply 244March 3, 2019 12:05 AM

Agnes died in ‘96, not early enough.

by Anonymousreply 245March 3, 2019 12:14 AM

[quote]Mom, I need to get some sleep. I have a test tomorrow in birds suddenly appear — I mean English.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246March 3, 2019 12:29 AM

R30, Sometimes I wonder if the best voice in the world belongs to some Amazonian tribesman, never to be discovered.

by Anonymousreply 247March 3, 2019 12:50 AM

Or some cloistered nun who has been silent for the last 50 years.

by Anonymousreply 248March 6, 2019 6:40 PM

I miss you Karen!

by Anonymousreply 249March 6, 2019 7:58 PM

[quote]She’s been dead longer than she was alive.

That happened on Jan 6, 2016.

by Anonymousreply 250March 6, 2019 8:25 PM

We still miss her to this day & listen to her music. I listen to Karen everyday instead of today’s music.

by Anonymousreply 251March 6, 2019 8:38 PM

If you squint your eyes, she looks a little like Willam in the photo at OP.

by Anonymousreply 252March 6, 2019 11:53 PM

I heard on the radio today that they set the record for most records hitting No. 2 on Billboard, without getting to No. 1. (We've Only Just Begun, Rainy Days and Mondays, Superstar, Hurting Each Other, and Yesterday Once More).

by Anonymousreply 253March 7, 2019 12:52 AM

"I heard on the radio today that they set the record for most records hitting No. 2 on Billboard, without getting to No. 1. "

Actually that record belongs to Creedence Clearwater Revival. They sold millions of records, but never had a #1 hit. They did score five #2 hits on the Hot 100, the most of any act without a #1. The Carpenters, on the other hand, DID have a few number one hits, all of them really awful: "(They Long To Be) Close To You", "Top of the World" and "Please Mr. Postman."

by Anonymousreply 254March 7, 2019 1:53 AM

R254 F you. The Carpenters #1 hits were masterful!

by Anonymousreply 255March 7, 2019 1:57 AM

I preferred the Carpenters' downbeat songs to the uptempo stuff. Their album tracks were just as good as their singles. Richard Carpenter may have been a creepy fucker, but he knew how to arrange a song.

by Anonymousreply 256March 7, 2019 1:58 AM

"The Carpenters #1 hits were masterful."

They sucked big time, you twit. Listening to "Close To You" was like taking a sleeping pill. And those lyrics! "Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?" Gag! . And Karen Carpenter always sounded like shit singing uptempo songs. That kind of music was really out of her league. She didn't have the chops for it.

by Anonymousreply 257March 7, 2019 2:20 AM

R257 That’s why we’re still talking about The Carpenters, 50 years later. Bless your heart.

by Anonymousreply 258March 7, 2019 2:45 AM

R258 Bingo!

by Anonymousreply 259March 7, 2019 3:14 AM

r248 It would be like the Susan Boyle story all over again.

by Anonymousreply 260March 7, 2019 3:34 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!