Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Carpenters’ Orchestral Album Is An Intimate Labour Of Love

The A&M/UMe album Carpenters With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra features new versions of 17 of their best songs, including ‘(They Long To Be) Close to You’. The song, written by Burt Bacharach and Hal David, was a breakthrough hit for Carpenters in 1970, earning a Grammy for best contemporary performance by a duo or group. Though Richard Carpenter recognises that the original was “a perfect record”, recording a Carpenters orchestral album gave him the opportunity to set their classics on a larger scale, with an orchestra of nearly 80 musicians.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 26, 2018 8:35 AM

I Just Fall In Love Again is the gem.

by Anonymousreply 1December 10, 2018 4:47 AM

Richard talks about the project:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2December 17, 2018 3:25 AM

Their music was sublime, but I hat that demonic Richard Carpenter.

by Anonymousreply 3December 17, 2018 3:28 AM

Can I get this in the US? I want it!

by Anonymousreply 4December 17, 2018 3:31 AM

The originals come close to pop music perfection, but the samples in the vid are very nice, indeed.

by Anonymousreply 5December 17, 2018 3:33 AM

I really can’t tell the difference!

by Anonymousreply 6December 17, 2018 3:35 AM

Richard Carpenter is a creepy piece of shit who keeps exhuming the body of Karen to make a buck.

His cheesy arrangements ruined her songs.

by Anonymousreply 7December 17, 2018 3:40 AM

Jesus Christ, what happened to Richard Carpenter?

He looks like the Face and Voice of Meth in that video.

by Anonymousreply 8December 17, 2018 3:43 AM

New versions?

But, one of them died with her head jammed down a toilet, or something.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9December 17, 2018 4:29 AM

[quote] Can I get this in the US? I want it!

R3, I am not sure how old you are, but you can stream it on Spotify, or listen to it on Apple Music.

There is no need to pay for the cassette or CD.

by Anonymousreply 10December 17, 2018 4:32 AM

sorry, not R3, I meant R4 :)

by Anonymousreply 11December 17, 2018 4:33 AM

Ticket to Ride:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 17, 2018 5:00 AM

R12 That doesn't really work. All it shows is how wonderful she sounded.

What the Carpenters' songs needed was LESS in the arrangements, not more. In other words: more Karen, less Richard.

by Anonymousreply 13December 17, 2018 1:46 PM

Even Olivia Newton-Lez hated Richard.

by Anonymousreply 14December 17, 2018 2:01 PM

Rich sounds like someone who has some sort of dementiaz

by Anonymousreply 15December 17, 2018 2:15 PM

I was just listening to the Carpenters Christmas CD, one of my all-time favorites <3

by Anonymousreply 16December 17, 2018 2:17 PM

Richard sounds and acts like your typical entitled, aged Orange County Republican.

by Anonymousreply 17December 17, 2018 2:17 PM

I was so disappointed that they didn’t include this gem:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 26, 2018 8:23 AM

I've never heard that song, R18. I always think of The Carpenters as lame 70s suburban pop music. Though I know she had a near perfect voice. That's a really great song!

by Anonymousreply 19December 26, 2018 8:31 AM

Karen solo track. Takes awhile to load, but it is well worth it. The voice of an angel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 26, 2018 8:35 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!