Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

**OFFICIAL** 2018 Midterms Elections Thread Part 11! THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL!

The discussion continues:

The link to part 10:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265April 16, 2019 10:59 PM

Georgia Secretary of State

Senator from Mississippi

Are those the two left? I hope people see why Georgia's matters.

by Anonymousreply 1November 23, 2018 6:08 AM

Isn't there one House race left in CA?

by Anonymousreply 2November 23, 2018 6:09 AM

Our midterms had Pres Bone Spurs in epic meltdown.

by Anonymousreply 3November 23, 2018 6:38 AM

Georgia Secretary of State

Senator Mississippi

California District 21

Those are the three notable races I can think off...

by Anonymousreply 4November 23, 2018 7:06 AM

It's been years since California started counting their 2018 ballots...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5November 23, 2018 7:08 AM

House open races:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6November 23, 2018 11:13 AM

41 days till Jan 3, 2019.

by Anonymousreply 7November 23, 2018 4:35 PM

*** Breaking News *** 3:05pm est -11/23

“ Trump asks Supreme Court to take up transgender troop ban case”

What the fuck is up with this super-cunt?

This is what he’s thinking about while playing in Mar-A-Lago during Thanksgiving weekend?

Will the Supreme Court even take this on, and overturn a lower court decision?

by Anonymousreply 8November 23, 2018 7:15 PM

Is California done counting? Is TJ Cox still alive?

We are all getting so old...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 24, 2018 1:02 AM

And now I look forward to 2020.

by Anonymousreply 10November 24, 2018 1:43 AM

There is still the GA SoS runoff on December 5th.

by Anonymousreply 11November 24, 2018 3:00 AM

DeSantis won 44 percent of Florida Hispanic votes in 2018, a 13 percent increase over Scott's 2014 performance, according to exit polling.

by Anonymousreply 12November 24, 2018 3:15 AM

For Governor of Florida: Why would 14 percent of blacks vote for Ron DeSantis?

by Anonymousreply 13November 24, 2018 3:24 AM

Makes you wonder if the Russians could not filter for race, r13.

A big tip off that the machines need to be investigated.

by Anonymousreply 14November 24, 2018 3:32 AM

[quote]DeSantis won 44 percent of Florida Hispanic votes in 2018, a 13 percent increase over Scott's 2014 performance, according to exit polling.

I read somewhere before the election that Ted Cruz gets a lot of votes around the border simply because of his last name. I assume these are votes from people who don't speak much English, haven't been in America for very long, and aren't very educated. I wonder if the same could go for DeSantis?

Personally, I think the Russians hacked Florida and Ohio but no one seems to be taking that seriously. Maybe they'll finally take it seriously in 2020 when they hack those two states again.

by Anonymousreply 15November 24, 2018 3:42 AM

Even the blacks in Florida are deplorables. No one needs to hack Ohio, their mask fell off in 2016 and the real Ohio is something truly disturbing.

The Ruskies hacked Texas, that's the dirty secret the GOP holds. Texas natives have voted Democrat for some time now, yet somehow the Repubes always win...sure.

by Anonymousreply 16November 24, 2018 4:45 AM

Florida was hacked. The senate intelligence committee confirmed it ahead of the election.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 24, 2018 4:59 AM

Clicking the link works. Don't know why is shows a blank.

by Anonymousreply 18November 24, 2018 5:01 AM

A bright spot from the shithole Ohio.

State rep for district 28 was finally finished counting the provisional and absentee ballots and we kicked that useless dick, Dever, to the curb.

Of course, the 5hugs still have a majority but one less us a good thing. It's especially sweet to me because every old white bible beater in my hood had Dever signs in their yards.

Miranda won by 56 votes. Every fucking vote matters.

by Anonymousreply 19November 24, 2018 3:22 PM

Sorry but if R19's deplorable central town voted in a Democrat, it makes me not believe the DeWine vote even more. Russians fucked with Ohio as practice for 2020 but didn't think they could get away with unseating Sherrod Brown because it would have been too glaring.

by Anonymousreply 20November 24, 2018 5:17 PM

r20 Absolutely! They 100% fucked with the vote for OH, FL AND GA.

by Anonymousreply 21November 24, 2018 5:18 PM

Up to 12 percent of black men voted for Kemp over Abrams. She needed their votes to win

by Anonymousreply 22November 24, 2018 5:19 PM

And if you actually believe that, R22, there's a Russian who wants to sell you a bridge.

by Anonymousreply 23November 24, 2018 5:24 PM

I believe it. I’m a black dude

by Anonymousreply 24November 24, 2018 5:27 PM

There are Negroes in Russia?

by Anonymousreply 25November 24, 2018 5:46 PM

Very few, R25, mostly students or professionals in training like doctors doing their training there. They have a very hard time in Russia, including racist attacks. It's very difficult for them.

by Anonymousreply 26November 24, 2018 5:50 PM

Remember the Mississippi Senate race? Cindy Hyde-Smith was sent to a "segregation academy" in the 1970s and later sent her own child there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27November 24, 2018 6:51 PM

I just wanted to mention an organization called secure our votes. I get their emails and follow up (mostly calling MOCs). The emails have good info about current voting issues.

by Anonymousreply 28November 24, 2018 7:54 PM

R25 and R26, yes, black people have a rough time in Russia. A colleague of mine, a young black woman who was traveling there for business, was walking down the street and workers threw globs of fresh cement at her.

by Anonymousreply 29November 24, 2018 8:38 PM

Russia is full of the lowest of the low. Trash. It's why they can only cheat to get anything done.

That MS Senate candidate is pure filth. Not even hiding it, either. Of course, that will play in MS.

by Anonymousreply 30November 24, 2018 9:51 PM

The Jackson, Mississippi, paper reports that lady peckerwood Senate candidate Cindy Hyde-Smith went to high school at a "seg academy"—a private school set up after public-school desegregation specifically for whites who didn't want their kids going to school with blacks. She also sent her daughter to a private school founded as a seg academy that has just one black student today.

Of course, this discovery will only make her more ravishingly beautiful in many Mississippians' eyes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31November 24, 2018 9:51 PM

And how does this hurt her in Mississippi!

by Anonymousreply 32November 24, 2018 10:10 PM

She probably leaked this info.

by Anonymousreply 33November 24, 2018 10:20 PM

Obviously this could only help her in the eyes of Mississippi voters. A proud racist, our girl !

The Dem needs to use this opportunity and drill into people her heinous Healthcare vote. It's his only chance.

by Anonymousreply 34November 24, 2018 10:46 PM

Puerto Ricans may have elected Rick Scott and other midterm surprises

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35November 25, 2018 9:05 AM

r35 If true, then it is just another example of truly baffling things that occur. Why, after Maria, would they support a party who just left their homeland to suffer?

It's like gays, blacks, hispanics (even white hispanics), asians, women voting repug. They see you all as inferior. They may fuck you, they may friend you, they may seem nice to you, but they see you as inferior in every way and would cut your throat if necessary.

by Anonymousreply 36November 25, 2018 4:25 PM

Because some Ricans are conservative

by Anonymousreply 37November 25, 2018 5:33 PM

Abortion

by Anonymousreply 38November 25, 2018 5:33 PM

r38 Yea abortion. Too bad over 1,000 of them were post-aborted because of an uncaring conservative govt. But at least they were born to die a torturous death due to incompetence and outright neglect.

by Anonymousreply 39November 25, 2018 5:39 PM

Wow, the author is [bold]speculating[/bold] that it must be Puerto Ricans fault because according to him Scott showed them a warm welcome. Irresponsible reporting and plain racist.

Article:

[quote]"Did Puerto Ricans send Rick Scott to the Senate? [bold]There’s an argument to be made.[/bold]"

Ok...

Well Reid Wilson, so where is this data where you are pulling this theory from ??? Oh yeah, it's not meant to be a fact. It's an opinion even though the headline is rather inflammatory towards an entire ethnicity.

The Hill and Politico are always writing hit jobs on Latinos. Remember that both publications had strong ties to Pete Wilson.

by Anonymousreply 40November 25, 2018 7:39 PM

Cox (D) has pulled within 447 votes of Valadao (R) in CA-21. Cox net gained 522 votes after being down nearly 1000 last week. There are still thousands of votes left to count and the next update will be on Monday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41November 25, 2018 8:29 PM

So we gained 39 seats but lost 3 so that is a net gain of 36?

by Anonymousreply 42November 25, 2018 8:56 PM

It's a net gain of 39 seats ... Democrats picked up 42 Republican-held seats, and lost 3 Democratic-held seats.

by Anonymousreply 43November 25, 2018 9:11 PM

None of the Dems were incumbents. They were open seats.

by Anonymousreply 44November 25, 2018 9:13 PM

Ca-D21 is definitely flipping since there are not many GOP friendly places for Valadao to maintain his 400 vote lead. Both are a draw in Fresno, but Bakersfield is turning blue with record number of young Hispanics turning 18 and voting for the first time.

by Anonymousreply 45November 25, 2018 10:54 PM

Trump and Pence are on their way to Mississippi, to rally the deplorable Cindy, whatever the fuck her name is across the finish line. Jesus, she is awful.

by Anonymousreply 46November 26, 2018 8:22 PM

It's going to be a showdown.

by Anonymousreply 47November 26, 2018 8:41 PM

He tweeted about the Georgia SoS runoff coming up.

by Anonymousreply 48November 26, 2018 9:07 PM

r45 Per the NYT, Valadao is still ahead by over 2,000 votes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49November 26, 2018 10:11 PM

R49 the NYT is behind. Per the California Secretary of State's office, Valadao is ahead 447 votes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50November 26, 2018 10:23 PM

The President recoils from Cindy Hyde-White's genital stench during a campaign stop in Trailerparkopolis, Mississippi

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51November 26, 2018 11:39 PM

Cox is now ahead of Valadao.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52November 27, 2018 12:54 AM

After so many media outlets already called it for the GOP r52.

by Anonymousreply 53November 27, 2018 1:04 AM

The Democrats have a huge, millions of votes , plurality in this election in the House votes. I do not know about the Senate votes where we obviously lost a number of seats. But the point is, if it were not for all the gerrymandering, etc, based on the number of votes for Democrats alone, we would have had a lot more seats in the house based on the number of Democratic votes. The Blue Wave happened big time. Bigger than it appears by the number Of House seats gained. So we did turn out in great numbers. Enough to overwhelm in many states,Republican chicanery. It just took awhile to be revealed in full.

by Anonymousreply 54November 27, 2018 1:16 AM

Yes, by the margin the Dems won the House votes by it was a wave of epic proportions.

by Anonymousreply 55November 27, 2018 1:18 AM

[quote] I do not know about the Senate votes where we obviously lost a number of seats.

I can't find the numbers right now, but I think that Dems did better in overall vote totals for both the Senate and the House. The problem is the same one that Hillary faced: she got millions more votes in places (like California) where she had already won the state. It is just a function of where the Dems and the Rethugs reside. Dems are more concentrated in the coastal states and now the southwest, while Repukes are in the square states with more cows than people.

by Anonymousreply 56November 27, 2018 1:41 AM

Dems closed the gap in places like TX big time. So they can't blame every vote win only on CA. Their big red states are getting more purple while our big blue states are getting more blue.

by Anonymousreply 57November 27, 2018 2:39 AM

It's also a function, in the case of the House, of relentless gerrymandering, some of which can be undone now that Democrats have won a few statehouses and governorships.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58November 27, 2018 2:53 AM

Well, the NYT has now UN-called CA 21 (which they had solidly for Valadao). Their vote count must still be behind, because Valadao is still leading there, and it's shown as "likely Republican."

by Anonymousreply 59November 27, 2018 3:01 AM

Nate Silver has his claws out over the media fucking up CA21

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60November 27, 2018 3:05 AM

Ex-Republican Max Boot in cat fight tonight with Repuke, candy ass Scott Jennings about defending racist Mississippi senate candidate Cindy Hyde... CNN

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61November 27, 2018 4:50 AM

R54 writes,

[quote]The Democrats have a huge, millions of votes , plurality in this election in the House votes. I do not know about the Senate votes where we obviously lost a number of seats. But the point is, if it were not for all the gerrymandering, etc, based on the number of votes for Democrats alone, we would have had a lot more seats in the house based on the number of Democratic votes. The Blue Wave happened big time. Bigger than it appears by the number Of House seats gained. So we did turn out in great numbers. Enough to overwhelm in many states,Republican chicanery. It just took awhile to be revealed in full.

I will give a link to Dave Leip’s website below. (Note: Leip has a color coding of using blue for Republican; red for Democrat. He started this before the common coloring used from media. And, when you go to the link, you may have to pull down the applicable menus you want to see. The link provided may not be directly to the 2018 U.S. Senate results)

Leip’s site reports the 2018 Democrats won the popular vote for the U.S. Senate by over +12 percentage points. But, the problem is that one has to do a numbers crunch because of California now being on the system of general-election nominees without regard of party affiliation. Senate Class #01, those states regularly scheduled, were previously on the schedule in the presidential election of 2012. The 2012 Democrats won the popular vote for U.S. Senate by +11.82 percentage points. Here in 2018, the Republicans won a net gain of +2 in the U.S. Senate. (The Democrats won pickups in Arizona and Nevada. The Republicans counter-flipped Florida, Indiana, Missouri, and North Dakota.) The average number of net gains, with each percentage point nationally shifted, tends to +1. So, I would figure—basing it off 2012—the Democrats went down from +11.82 to +9.xx.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62November 27, 2018 6:00 AM

TJ Cox pulls ahead of Valadao!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63November 27, 2018 11:55 AM

Looking at the house popular vote is a fair metric, we are all divided in house districts of equal population. Looking at the Senate popular vote is quite meaningless.

by Anonymousreply 64November 27, 2018 12:20 PM

Will we not officially know who will be Speaker until the new Congress convenes? I mean, I know it's going to be Pelosi, but I'm more interested who's going into the other leadership positions. I like Steny Hoyer, but I think they need someone new to be Majority Leader. My personal vote would be for Adam Schiff, because he would be well-positioned to follow Pelosi when she steps down in 2020. At bare minimum, they need some fresh blood to be Majority Whip.

[quote]Looking at the house popular vote is a fair metric, we are all divided in house districts of equal population. Looking at the Senate popular vote is quite meaningless.

Especially since the Senate vote only includes 1/3rd of the Senate.

by Anonymousreply 65November 27, 2018 12:22 PM

r63 see r52

by Anonymousreply 66November 27, 2018 2:23 PM

R66, oops, that's what I get for skimming through a thread.

So that means that California will have flipped all of the 7 congressional seats they were aiming for?

by Anonymousreply 67November 27, 2018 2:26 PM

R67 Yes, if Cox's lead holds. California will be 46-7 for the Democrats.

by Anonymousreply 68November 27, 2018 4:04 PM

Democrat Xochitl Torres Small has defeated Republican Yvette Herrell in one of the nation's last outstanding House races, New Mexico certified Tuesday morning.

The official result brings the total number of Democratic gains in the House to 39 seats, with one race outstanding.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69November 27, 2018 5:31 PM

Update on what’s left to count in CA-21?

by Anonymousreply 70November 27, 2018 5:44 PM

forty fucking seats!

Don't tell me this was not a blue wave ass kicking repudiation of the traitors.

Now we need to get rid of turtle in 2020. Unless Mueller gets him first.

by Anonymousreply 71November 27, 2018 6:15 PM

So MS is a mess and nothing is gon stop them from their racist ways. Shame. Don't they get sick of being dead last in everything? I guess they like conservatism that much. It has fucked up their state yet they stay with it!

by Anonymousreply 72November 28, 2018 2:36 AM

Excellent discussion re Pelosi on Fresh Air today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73November 28, 2018 2:40 AM

@mmfa @JuddLegum 10) A Dem strategist said something recently that is still nagging at me:

“Trump is carrying on a conversation with his voters under the radar that we just don’t understand. Democrats are not carrying on this same kind of conversation with their voters.”

Worth thinking about.

by Anonymousreply 74November 28, 2018 1:11 PM

Hakeem Jeffries just now elected as Dem Caucus chair.

Pelosi's caucus vote this afternoon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75November 28, 2018 4:18 PM

They went with the young rising star rather than the established elder in Lee.

I feel bad for her, but it is probably the right call

by Anonymousreply 76November 28, 2018 4:25 PM

[quote]Worth thinking about.

Nah, not really.

by Anonymousreply 77November 28, 2018 4:26 PM

Jeffries is sexy

by Anonymousreply 78November 28, 2018 4:29 PM

[quote]The official result brings the total number of Democratic gains in the House to 39 seats, with one race outstanding.

The NYT has finally updated CA-21 to "leaning blue" instead of "leaning red," but they show THREE undecided races:

CA -21

NY - 22

NY -27

Only the last one is shown as "leaning red."

by Anonymousreply 79November 28, 2018 4:42 PM

The state board of elections Tuesday refused to certify the results of the 9th Congressional District election after one board member cited what he called “unfortunate activities” in the eastern part of the district. Republican Mark Harris defeated Democrat Dan McCready by 905 votes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80November 28, 2018 4:52 PM

Yep r80. Now that congressional seat is in a legal limbo.

by Anonymousreply 81November 28, 2018 4:55 PM

A sweeping lawsuit filed Tuesday in the wake of Georgia’s fierce race for governor calls for a federal judge to overturn state laws that resulted in purged registrations, canceled ballots and many other obstacles to voting. Backed by former Democratic nominee for governor Stacey Abrams, the lawsuit continues a fight for voting rights that formed the foundation of her campaign. Abrams isn’t trying to change the result of this month’s election that she lost to Republican Brian Kemp, but the upcoming legal battle could decide the rules for elections in 2020 and beyond.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82November 28, 2018 5:02 PM

After a barrage of laws made it harder for people of color to vote in this month’s midterm elections, the Senate is set to vote this week on a controversial judicial nominee, Thomas Farr, who repeatedly defended such laws in federal court.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83November 28, 2018 6:38 PM

One more...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84November 28, 2018 6:47 PM

CA-21, TJ Cox is up by 600.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85November 28, 2018 6:49 PM

There will only be 3 House Rs from Clinton-won seats in January:

#NY24 John Katko (R) #PA01 Brian Fitzpatrick (R) #TX23 Will Hurd (R)

By contrast, there will be 31 House Dems from Trump-won seats.

by Anonymousreply 86November 28, 2018 11:18 PM

Do we know when they are going to call CA-21?

by Anonymousreply 87November 29, 2018 12:45 AM

The LA Times called it at 3PM today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88November 29, 2018 1:34 AM

Why AP had to retract its projection of Valadao as the winner in CA-21.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89November 29, 2018 1:35 AM

Georgias Secretary of State election is December 4. Let's do this

by Anonymousreply 90November 29, 2018 1:38 AM

Does anyone know why the NYT ever had CA-21 in its "Republicans Expected to Win Easily" column?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91November 29, 2018 1:38 AM

Question: With all of these mail-in votes swinging even heavily Repug districts to blue, why aren't the mail-in, provisional, and other kinds of late-coming votes even being counted in other parts of the country? It's pretty obvious that the early votes are heavily skewing democratic even in Repug strongholds. They usually just assume that the breakdown of mail-ins, etc., will about equal the percentages in the actual election day votes but that is being proven untrue in California over and over.

I think Dems wanted to vote against Trump as soon as they possibly could across the country so all the early votes skewed much more Democratic than usual. What's to say they, if counted, wouldn't swing other races across the country? You know, places like Georgia and Florida.

by Anonymousreply 92November 29, 2018 1:52 AM

R92 Per the article about AP's bad call, California had 41% mail-in votes this election. That's probably higher than nearly all states (other than Oregon, of course.)

by Anonymousreply 93November 29, 2018 2:42 AM

[quote]why aren't the mail-in, provisional, and other kinds of late-coming votes even being counted in other parts of the country?

Huh? You seem a bit confused here.

As r93 said California is a huge vote by mail state, and most importantly you don't have to put your ballot in the mail til election day. That means there are a huge number of ballots that Caliornia election officials don't even get til well after the election.

That is why it takes so long to figure out who won in these races. Most states don't have the same circumstances.

by Anonymousreply 94November 29, 2018 2:47 AM

Why doesn't that popular former MT Gov Brian Sw-----zer run for Senate? He was very popular there.

by Anonymousreply 95November 29, 2018 2:49 AM

Wohoo! Dems cleaned house. I feel so proud of my state.

by Anonymousreply 96November 29, 2018 4:18 AM

R94, I'm not confused but thanks for the mansplaining. Many states work that way. But, in other states, certain ballots are not counted unless the election is especially close. They make assumptions about the content of those votes. This year, using California as an example, those assumptions are most likely wrong. Provisional ballots are not counted in a lot of instances. They are just thrown out. Any ballots that need to be verified due to some issue with names or addresses, etc., are not counted due to assumptions that they won't be enough to make up the difference in a race. This year is different and if those votes in those states were counted there might be enough to flip some more races.

by Anonymousreply 97November 29, 2018 5:56 AM

Just my perspective, r97, but there may have been only a handful of provisional ballots. I worked the polls in a Pennsylvania suburb, and we had only one all day. I would imagine in Georgia, or states where voter suppression is much worse, there are probably more. But I’ve heard the same thing, that absentee and/or provisional ballots aren’t counted in many places, unless they’re needed. If someone is ahead by 500 votes, and there are fewer than 500 provisional and/or absentee ballots, they don’t get counted since they wouldn’t make up the difference even if all of them were for the same candidate.

by Anonymousreply 98November 29, 2018 6:24 PM

Provisional ballots are almost always thrown out in most places. They're just offered as a sop to voters, hoping it will keep them from making a scene at polling places.

Anyone offered a provisional ballot should try their best to get a real ballot.

by Anonymousreply 99November 29, 2018 6:33 PM

Must eliminate gerrymandering.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100November 29, 2018 6:51 PM

By both parties.

by Anonymousreply 101November 29, 2018 6:52 PM

Fuck you R101. The Democrats do not gerrymander. Gerrymandering districts is the only way Republicans are able to win. When districts are redrawn by an independent council more often than not Democrats gain seats.

[quote]Provisional ballots are almost always thrown out in most places. They're just offered as a sop to voters, hoping it will keep them from making a scene at polling places.

California law mandates every provisional ballot is counted as log as it is mailed/submitted by the deadline. Is this not true for other states?

What kind of backwards thinking is this ???

by Anonymousreply 102November 29, 2018 7:37 PM

[Quote]The Democrats do not gerrymander.

Of course they do. There is absolutely way more GOP gerrymandering happening, but there are obviously examples of Dem gerrymandering.

Where I live, Maryland, being the obvious example.

by Anonymousreply 103November 29, 2018 8:09 PM

If the number of outstanding provisional ballots could mathematically not affect the race then it is considered not to matter.

In California you have a huge percentage of these late ballota.

by Anonymousreply 104November 29, 2018 8:10 PM

Yup only 800 ballots remain in Ca-21 District with TK Cox (D) almost leading by 500. Valadeo was so shocked

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105November 29, 2018 8:24 PM

Wasserman: 23 Republicans won House races by less than 5% (that's actually more than the 21 Dems won by less than 5%). Had the Trump base been less energized - as in a lot of the specials - many of them would've lost.

by Anonymousreply 106November 29, 2018 10:47 PM

r102 Mail-in ballots are not provisional ballots. Provisional ballots are the ones given in person at a polling place to someone who might not be registered.

by Anonymousreply 107November 29, 2018 10:56 PM

Such a great midterm. Remember when the trolls ran here to declare a blue drip? They fapped too quickly.

by Anonymousreply 108November 29, 2018 11:18 PM

Did we run the table in CA? Was there any district we seriously went after we didn't get?

Y'all, we did good!

by Anonymousreply 109November 30, 2018 12:40 AM

Also, the way I see it, since everyone bitches about CA giving Dems an "unfair" advantage in popular vote or whatever, because rural red states have such disproportionate power, it is fitting CA gives Dems a massive advantage in the House.

by Anonymousreply 110November 30, 2018 12:41 AM

R109 Democrats won all 7 of the seats they targeted in California.

by Anonymousreply 111November 30, 2018 12:44 AM

If they'd run a more seasoned candidate, they might have taken Duncan Hunter's seat too.

by Anonymousreply 112November 30, 2018 1:21 AM

[quote]If they'd run a more seasoned candidate, they might have taken Duncan Hunter's seat too.

If they'd run the candidate they had shirtless at all times, they'd have won in a landslide.

by Anonymousreply 113November 30, 2018 1:21 AM

They'll get a do-over when Hunter is convicted. The trial date is set for December 3 which is on Monday, if it hasn't been changed.

by Anonymousreply 114November 30, 2018 1:28 AM

TJ Cox won! That's 40 total seats that the Dems won in the House!

by Anonymousreply 115November 30, 2018 1:35 AM

Do you think Pence will be uncomfortable on the Speaker's Rostrum next to Pelosi at the SOTU? I assume Mother will be there, but she'll be in the gallery.

by Anonymousreply 116November 30, 2018 1:42 AM

I don't really give a flying fuck if Pence is uncomfortable next to Pelosi; elections have consequences.

And he better not get too comfortable there either, he's hopefully headed for prison sooner rather than later.

by Anonymousreply 117November 30, 2018 1:56 AM

I know this wasn't midterms but why did Justice in WV switch parties like right after he was elected in 2016? He won WV Gov as a Dem yet immediately switched parties. That should not be allowed. You should have to run again under the party you switched to.

by Anonymousreply 118November 30, 2018 2:06 AM

Might there be a possibility of Democrats picking up a 41st seat, NC-9?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119November 30, 2018 4:23 AM

These motherfuckers...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120November 30, 2018 5:46 AM

God, Paul Ryan is a fucking idiot.

by Anonymousreply 121November 30, 2018 5:49 AM

Repugs really, really, really don't like it when all the votes are actually counted.

by Anonymousreply 122November 30, 2018 6:13 AM

So glad Ryan is going far, far away. Obscurity can't come soon enough. So glad that he will go down as one of the worst Speakers in history.

by Anonymousreply 123November 30, 2018 8:34 PM

McCaskill Blames Democrats for Her Defeat

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124November 30, 2018 9:44 PM

The only people who decide if you get elected are the voters of Missouri Claire. The same purity people hate Manchin more than you but he got reelected. It's up to the voters.

by Anonymousreply 125November 30, 2018 9:49 PM

Yeah, we need Democrats crafted for their states and districts, which some will be prolife, protectionist, non-environmentalist

by Anonymousreply 126November 30, 2018 9:51 PM

McCaskill lost because she ran to the right, siding with Trump on various issues, hoping to reassure moderates. Instead all she did was alienate the Democratic base.

by Anonymousreply 127November 30, 2018 9:56 PM

r127 She said some stupid shit late in the game when she was leading in the polls. She panicked and SHE lost. I am so pissed at her stupidity so late in the race.

I hope, with that judge going down this week, the value in having your Manchin's as bad as they are sometimes. ALL Dems voted no. ONLY Flake and Scott for the repugs voted no. Not even Murkowski was going to be a no. Manchin is so much better than any repug in his place.

by Anonymousreply 128November 30, 2018 10:05 PM

I hope someone explains that to her, R127. I'm so sick of Democrats eating their own. She voted against Kavanaugh and then, instead of standing up for Democratic principles, decided to play the Trump card just a little bit and it cost her the Democrats who were sick to death of that bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 129November 30, 2018 10:05 PM

I wonder if there were some Russian shenanigans in Missouri, though. It was a bit under the radar because it's not a big presidential state that people pay attention to that much like they do with Florida, Texas, or Ohio. It would have been an easier hack for Russia because of that fact and because it was close.

by Anonymousreply 130November 30, 2018 10:08 PM

[quote]I hope, with that judge going down this week, the value in having your Manchin's as bad as they are sometimes. ALL Dems voted no. ONLY Flake and Scott for the repugs voted no

What prevents the Rethugs to return this judge's nomination in the new Senate when they'll be able to pass him?

by Anonymousreply 131November 30, 2018 10:13 PM

So instead of Democrats going to vote, changing into different clothes and coming back to vote again, we have the Rethug campaign literally stealing ballots from black voters in NC-9.

[quote]The board is collecting sworn statements from voters in rural Bladen County, near the South Carolina border, who described people coming to their doors and urging them to hand over their absentee ballots, sometimes without filling them out. Others described receiving absentee ballots by mail that they had not requested. It is illegal to take someone else’s ballot and turn it in. Among the allegations is that an individual who worked for the Harris campaign coordinated the effort to fill in, or discard, the ballots of Democratic voters who might have otherwise voted for McCready. Several of the affidavits come from elderly African-American voters

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132November 30, 2018 10:50 PM

Yep r132. We the GOP officials making up bullshit about illegal voting from Democrats and why we need voter IDs, but as always the real attacks on voting come from Republicans.

What is happening in NC is crazy, and if it was Democrats doing it Trump would be tweeting about it 24/7 and it would completely dominate national news. But because it is Republicans it is a minor story.

by Anonymousreply 133December 1, 2018 12:07 AM

R131, doesn't he have to get through the committee again?

by Anonymousreply 134December 1, 2018 12:24 AM

In a statement on Thursday afternoon, Scott cited "lingering concerns about issues that could affect [Farr's] decision-making process as a federal judge" in opposing Farr. It was a reference to Farr's alleged connection to former Sen. Jesse Helms' intimidation campaigns against black voters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135December 1, 2018 12:26 AM

But, R135, the point was that they won't need Scott's vote the next time through because there will be more Repugs in the Senate.

by Anonymousreply 136December 1, 2018 1:15 AM

No, but they may not have Pres Bone Spurs as President either. If he is embroiled in possible treasonous activities by then, that SHOULD grind the Senate confirming any of his judges to a screeching hault.

by Anonymousreply 137December 1, 2018 1:46 AM

Why would you think that, R137?

by Anonymousreply 138December 1, 2018 1:49 AM

R125 writes,

[quote]The only people who decide if you get elected are the voters of Missouri Claire. The same purity people hate Manchin more than you but he got reelected. It's up to the voters.

I’m good with Claire McCaskill having become unseated.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139December 1, 2018 6:39 AM

R126 writes,

[quote]Yeah, we need Democrats crafted for their states and districts, which some will be prolife, protectionist, non-environmentalist

Absolutely.

The Democratic Party is a Big Tent Party.

In that Big Tent, you have people who are for abortion, people have no position on abortion, and people who are against abortion.

You want to aim for the middle.

You want a Democratic Party which has no position on abortion nationwide.

That’s how it should be on everything, R126.

That’s [italic]your[/italic] Democratic Party.

It’s quite the Big Tent.

by Anonymousreply 140December 1, 2018 7:00 AM

Exactly

by Anonymousreply 141December 1, 2018 7:21 AM

How is South Carolina so "progressive." It has one black senator and one gay senatrice.

by Anonymousreply 142December 1, 2018 7:34 AM

r140, Спасибо, Борис.

by Anonymousreply 143December 1, 2018 7:35 AM

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144December 1, 2018 1:16 PM

R144 they underestimated Democratic enthusiasm. They probably tried to tweak their numbers to account for antI-Dump votes, but the models they used weren’t accurate, since we haven’t seen this kind of enthusiasm to vote against a candidate in many years.

by Anonymousreply 145December 1, 2018 2:31 PM

I wish we could replicate it in Florida

by Anonymousreply 146December 1, 2018 2:47 PM

You’d to get rid of corrupt Democrats like Debbie Wasserman Schultz, R146.

The Democratic Party Establishment is making sure DWS stays put.

She helped screw Andrew Gillum in the governor race.

by Anonymousreply 147December 1, 2018 2:52 PM

How so?

by Anonymousreply 148December 1, 2018 3:08 PM

r148, Спросите Ольгу о людских ресурсах.

r147 doesn't really know.

by Anonymousreply 149December 1, 2018 3:18 PM

[quote]She helped screw Andrew Gillum in the governor race.

Who can blame her? I'd LOVE to screw Andrew Gillum (and I don't need any help to do it.)

by Anonymousreply 150December 1, 2018 3:26 PM

Expect more voter suppression nationwide from the GOP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151December 1, 2018 3:54 PM

The problem with the Big Tent idea is that your tent can't get so big that you can never get your party to vote in a unified way on issues the party is based on. For our progressives to make their base happy, the conservatives would have to vote for things that will not make their base happy. If it breaks up into too many contingents, you end up screwing yourself. We can be inclusive, of course, be we still need a basic platform that consists of Democratic ideals. We do not want our own version of the Freedom Caucus.

by Anonymousreply 152December 1, 2018 10:46 PM

NC still a mess.

Georgia Secretary of State race in 3 days

Louisiana Secretary of State race Dec 8

We can help curb Republicans cheating by helping to elect these sos

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153December 1, 2018 10:52 PM

r152 I get what you are saying. We need to be a big tent but there are limits. Even someone like Manchin will vote for most if not all Dem judicial nominees. He will oppose a lot of repug ones. He was open to some gun reform. I think he now supports gay marriage. We need moderates to reign in some of the progressive side but we need to make the progressive side seen more moderate. For example- SS and Medicare are VERY progressive yet are seen as normal, popular policies by the vast majority of the country. They aren't seen as extreme.

by Anonymousreply 154December 1, 2018 10:53 PM

MoveOn.org:

BREAKING—as in breaking democracy: a truly shocking & naked power grab underway in Wisconsin. Dems won every statewide race this Nov. Now, the GOP unveiled sweeping bills to straightjacket the Gov & AG, stomp on early voting, & lock in power on state Sup Court. Votes THIS TUE.

The plans have been rumored for weeks, but the WI GOP waited until Friday afternoon to unveil their stack of bills, plans ONE hearing on Monday, and votes on Tuesday. So opposition is needed *now.*

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155December 1, 2018 10:56 PM

CNN's Jeff Yang:

#NC09 GOP candidate @MarkHarrisNC9’s campaign appears to have sent people door to door in rural Robeson & Bladen Counties to steal absentee ballots from elderly black voters and complete them for Harris. There were 1300+ such ballots in those counties in a race Harris won by 905.

by Anonymousreply 156December 1, 2018 10:58 PM

Oh, jinx, R155—I just posted that in the Mueller investigation thread. It's even more appropriate here.

by Anonymousreply 157December 1, 2018 11:01 PM

r156 Just WOW. Will we pick up this seat now?

by Anonymousreply 158December 1, 2018 11:03 PM

They should have to run the election again but with a new Repug candidate because Harris will be in fucking jail.

by Anonymousreply 159December 1, 2018 11:16 PM

Jesus!! I’m loving the dirt on this Harris asshole, and at the same time thinking what the fuck is going on with these goddamn Republicans!?

I hope when they throw the book at him, it kills him.

by Anonymousreply 160December 1, 2018 11:48 PM

Harris is despicable.

by Anonymousreply 161December 1, 2018 11:55 PM

How did they steal them? Out of the mailbox? That would be a federal crime!

by Anonymousreply 162December 1, 2018 11:57 PM

R162, yes, from mailboxes.

by Anonymousreply 163December 2, 2018 12:01 AM

so gd much fuckery.

by Anonymousreply 164December 2, 2018 12:11 AM

They evidently also showed up at the door and just demanded the ballots. Then they took them away and destroyed the Democratic ones or, in the case of ballots the person hadn't filled out yet, filled them out in favor of the Republican and turned them in.

by Anonymousreply 165December 2, 2018 12:13 AM

Unreal, R165.

by Anonymousreply 166December 2, 2018 12:23 AM

WTF is wrong with North Carolina. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 167December 2, 2018 12:25 AM

When Repukes fear they might lose, they cheat.

Simple as that.

by Anonymousreply 168December 2, 2018 12:29 AM

There's no guarantee of course, but we could possibly pick up a 41st seat here.

Which would give us a total of:

236 seats in the House compared to only 199 seats for the Reps.

I like the way that looks.

by Anonymousreply 169December 2, 2018 12:31 AM

I wish they'd catch the people who did this. Maybe one of the victims has a front door video camera.

by Anonymousreply 170December 2, 2018 12:34 AM

R169 “There's no guarantee of course, but we could possibly pick up a 41st seat here”.

Maybe the stars will align for us. 41 House seats 41 President passes away 41 Brain cells in Trumps head

I heard about this story yesterday on CNN. I hope they investigate the fuck out of it. And they will.

by Anonymousreply 171December 2, 2018 12:56 AM

It will, R171. It's already gone national AND one of the top priorities of the new Dem House is going to be fixing the elections. Let's see the Repugs vote against securing our elections while they are being publicly investigated for this. The hypocrites will, of course, but it will be with a giant spotlight on it when they do.

by Anonymousreply 172December 2, 2018 1:04 AM

R172 Bring it on. Election fraud AND gerrymandering.

by Anonymousreply 173December 2, 2018 1:11 AM

[quote]Expect more voter suppression nationwide from the GOP.

I think it's too late for that. As more Californians spill over to Arizona, Idaho, other neighboring states, including Utah, Democrats will keep fortifying that blue wall in the West. After Arizona is radicalized, Dems will be working overtime to flip Idaho and of course Texas .

4 important things are happening in the West.

1) Arizona elected a Democratic Secretary of State, which will oversee the 2020 and 2022 elections.

2) In Texas, a new Democratic coalition was born

3) Utah passed a law where districts will be redrawn by an [bold]independent[/bold] committee.

4) The first wave of Californians arriving to Idaho, a state that only has a population of 500k.

by Anonymousreply 174December 2, 2018 1:52 AM

We should start an emigration project from blue states to Wyoming and Montana. There are so few people there that we could overwhelm them pretty quickly if we try really hard. Bonus: We get to protect those beautiful states from the damage the fucking anti-environment, cut it all down, build roads everywhere, 'just save the wildlife so we can kill it' Repugs want to do to them.

by Anonymousreply 175December 2, 2018 2:15 AM

Is Idaho green? Like with grass and trees?

I need to get out of shithole Ohio and am looking to move west but I need grass and trees and a place where I can plant a garden.

I was thinking about north carolina but I can't even with copperheads and water moccasins. Or with the GOP fuckery.

by Anonymousreply 176December 2, 2018 2:43 AM

All the states in the Upper Northwest have green areas. The Southwest would be another story altogether. They pain their rocks green their to look like grass.

by Anonymousreply 177December 2, 2018 2:53 AM

r172 The House has nothing to do with elections, which are solely under the jurisdiction of the states.

by Anonymousreply 178December 2, 2018 3:04 AM

Here you go, R178, ya dummy. I'm so fucking sick of people just spouting off without knowing anything.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179December 2, 2018 3:07 AM

Oooohhh R178 in hot water now!

by Anonymousreply 180December 2, 2018 3:11 AM

Oooohhhhh, R178 in trouble now!

by Anonymousreply 181December 2, 2018 3:12 AM

He was just the last straw, R180. He's emblematic of the Trumpian America we now live in. All of this is the fault of people like him.

by Anonymousreply 182December 2, 2018 3:14 AM

I love you R179

by Anonymousreply 183December 2, 2018 11:13 AM

Not sure if this has been posted here yet, but more shit on what's going on in North Carolina. Those NC republicans are hardcore.

From Saturday's Electoral vote.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184December 2, 2018 11:15 PM

Anybody keeping the pulse of the runoff for SoS in GA on Tuesday?

Are Dems pulling out the stops?

by Anonymousreply 185December 3, 2018 7:21 AM

Duncan Hunter trial scheduled for SEPTEMBER.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186December 3, 2018 10:56 PM

This vaping, wife-blaming douche gets to serve in Congress for 8 months before the trial even begins?

by Anonymousreply 187December 3, 2018 10:59 PM

GOP in Wisconsin stripping governorship of power — because they lost.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188December 3, 2018 11:01 PM

Article addresses their new tactics in multiple states.

by Anonymousreply 189December 3, 2018 11:02 PM

[quote]I love you [R179]

And another datalounge love story is born.

It'll be over by midnight.

by Anonymousreply 190December 3, 2018 11:06 PM

They're trying it in Michigan, too, r188.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191December 3, 2018 11:47 PM

They don't even pretend to like democracy. Fucking fascist treasonous assholes. Vote repug EVER is a vote for this.

by Anonymousreply 192December 4, 2018 12:38 AM

No, r192. If you complain to them that they're doing something undemocratic, you might receive a patronizing lecture that the United States is a republic, not a democracy.

I haven't hit anyone in anger since I was a child, but, damn, I am tempted sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 193December 4, 2018 12:43 AM

the Krotch bros are making their last gasp power play in Wisconsin.

If it works there, look for them to try this every time the Dems win.

Why is the MSM ignoring it?

This is fascism gone wild!

by Anonymousreply 194December 4, 2018 12:57 AM

195 THAT is an understatement.

by Anonymousreply 195December 4, 2018 1:14 AM

Meant r194 ^^^^^

by Anonymousreply 196December 4, 2018 1:15 AM

MSNBC isn't ignoring it; Chris Hayes just did a segment on it on his show a bit earlier.

by Anonymousreply 197December 4, 2018 1:20 AM

Wisconsin and Michigan are the top stories right now at the Washington Post.

by Anonymousreply 198December 4, 2018 2:54 AM

All evening shows on MSNBC talked about it, interviewed NC journalists, Democrats etc. and showed a video of a journalist talking to this woman who collected the absentee ballots and brought them to the guy who worked for the Rethug candidate. She even looked like a deplorable.

by Anonymousreply 199December 4, 2018 3:17 AM

Repukes just cheat anyway they can; especially in the South.

Repulsive, deplorable creatures.

by Anonymousreply 200December 4, 2018 1:21 PM

Is this the same issue as the in-person ballot collection in California?

by Anonymousreply 201December 4, 2018 1:22 PM

R201, trolling or are you referring to something real? Bitter about Orange County, perhaps?

by Anonymousreply 202December 4, 2018 1:24 PM

R202, nope. I just read an article about in-person ballot pickup in California and how Republicans were all upset about it. R199 mentioned in-person ballot pickup in North Carolina. That seems like the same thing. But maybe it's different depending on what party you support.

by Anonymousreply 203December 4, 2018 1:33 PM

R203, link please to the article?

by Anonymousreply 204December 4, 2018 1:34 PM

R203, do you remember where you read the article?

by Anonymousreply 205December 4, 2018 1:35 PM

New York Magazine. Let me try to find the article for you.

by Anonymousreply 206December 4, 2018 1:49 PM

here you go! it's a pretty good article

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207December 4, 2018 2:06 PM

The difference, R203, is not which party one supports. The difference is that it is illegal to harvest ballots in North Carolina, but allowed under California law.

by Anonymousreply 208December 4, 2018 2:20 PM

I am say it again...here in Florida, Democrats were robbed. These Republicans are crooked, powerful and will do anything to win.

by Anonymousreply 209December 4, 2018 2:26 PM

I just knew this was coming. The republicans are bitter about the election and are trying everything in their power to prevent anything like that from happening again.

From today's Electoral-Vote.com: "In Wisconsin, the legislature's agenda includes limiting early voting (which generally helps Democrats) ".

I am sure other state legislatures will follow. Pretty soon early voting will be outlawed because democrats make more use of it than republicans.

Maybe one day it will be illegal for dems to vote.

by Anonymousreply 210December 4, 2018 7:51 PM

And that ain't all folks.

The shit show in North Carolina just keeps jaws dropping.

In North Carolina, a witness must sign an absentee ballot to confirm that the person who filled it out is who they claim to be. Normally, that witness is a family member or close friend, and it's rather unusual for a person to be witness on more than one or two or maybe three ballots. Well, it's unusual everywhere except for NC-09, it would seem. The 161 absentee ballots in question were "witnessed" by just a handful of people, one who signed off on 40 ballots, another who signed off on 30, and three more who signed off on at least 10. All of these people appear to be connected, and all of them (or nearly all of them) appear to know Leslie McCrae Dowless. Dowless is a Republican operative who just so happened to work on Harris' campaign, and who denies any wrongdoing. Of course, he also denied any wrongdoing when he was convicted of insurance fraud in the early 1990s after taking out a $163,000 policy on a dead man. So, you may not want to take his word for it, especially since one witness has already signed an affidavit that Dowless was set to receive a $40,000 bonus if Harris won.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211December 4, 2018 7:54 PM

Does anybody know what can be done to stop the underhanded shit show going on in Wisconsin? Can that scumbag Walker and his cronies get their way and strip power from the incoming Governor? Can the issue be brought to the courts for a ruling?

From what I see on the news, Dem voters are understandably fuming.

by Anonymousreply 212December 4, 2018 8:04 PM

CNN - Madison Wisconsin voters now in shouting match at the state capital protesting GOPs move to strip power from the incoming Dems.

by Anonymousreply 213December 4, 2018 8:24 PM

it will go to court, just like NC did when that bitch rethug tried the same thing.

The NC court kicked the outgoing governor in the cunt and said no way.

The people if Wisconsin will sue and it will go to court and the thugs will lose because the state constitution probably spells out the duties and reporting agencies of each office. Those assholes cannot arbitrarily overturn the state constitution.

The cocks are trying it there to see if anyone notices and fights it.

On a side note, is Walker retarded? He looks half out of it in every photo I see of him. Droopy eyed with his mouth hanging open looking like he's about to drool on himself.

by Anonymousreply 214December 4, 2018 8:54 PM

Thank you R214

I can’t wait to hear the courts decision. As far as Walker is concerned, I’m sure he’s in shock over his loss, and it’s taking it’s a toll on his health and appearance.

Fuck him deeply with the white hot poker.

by Anonymousreply 215December 4, 2018 9:03 PM

Georgia Secretary of State results.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216December 5, 2018 12:31 AM

2020 The Democrats’ Hispanic Problem To beat Trump in 2020, the party will almost certainly need Florida voters who didn’t turn out for Bill Nelson or Andrew Gillum. What went wrong, and can they fix it? By MICHAEL GRUNWALD and MARC CAPUTO December 04, 2018

Nationally, overwhelming margins among Latino voters helped drive Democratic victories in states like California, Nevada and Arizona. But in Florida, older Cuban-Americans who mostly support Republicans voted in droves, while turnout for younger Cubans, Puerto Ricans and other non-Cuban Hispanics who skew Democratic lagged—and did not skew as Democratic as expected. Exit polls found Democrats won only 54 percent of the Hispanic vote, down from 62 percent in 2016 and 58 percent in 2014. Florida Democrats did replace two Cuban-American Republicans in majority-Hispanic congressional districts while electing several new Latino state legislators and local officials. But the top-of-the-ticket losses were brutal wake-up calls for Democrats who hope to flip Florida in 2020 and are counting on the state’s fastest-growing demographic to help them flip it.

Before the midterms, the spin from Democrats was that Trump was their best Hispanic organizer. He was supposedly mobilizing opposition to Republican allies like Scott and DeSantis by demonizing immigrants, bungling the response to Hurricane Maria and tailoring his message exclusively to his right-wing base. But while Trump fired up Hispanics in the Southwest, especially Mexican-Americans who objected to his push for a border wall, Florida Hispanics represent a much broader cross section of Latin America. A majority of them do object to Trump, but marginally improved turnout by non-Cuban Hispanics was overshadowed by much higher turnout from Trump’s base of older Cuban exiles as well as whites, while the blue wave of Puerto Rican hurricane evacuees that some Democrats thought could change the politics of Florida forever never materialized.

“This election was mostly a massive repudiation of Donald Trump, but something went extraordinarily wrong in Florida,” says Simon Rosenberg, the founder of the New Democrat Network and a party strategist on Latino politics. “Democrats should have done much better with Hispanics there, and instead we did much worse. We need to have a big conversation about why.”

That conversation has already begun. Some Democrats are leery of an overcorrection; after all, Nelson and Gillum both lost by less than half a percentage point despite their underperformance with Hispanics, and it’s possible that Trump’s unpopular name and policies on the ballot could help reverse that underperformance in 2020. Still, in all-important Miami-Dade County, where Democrats are a majority of the electorate but Republicans control the city and county mayor's offices, Democrats have already held soul-searching meetings to discuss why their Hispanic margins sagged in 2018, and how they can make voting as much a cultural habit for younger Cubans and non-Cuban Hispanics as it is for the aging Cuban exiles who helped carry Scott and DeSantis to victory. Miami-Dade’s overall turnout lagged about 6 points behind the state average, and was even worse in its Venezuelan and Colombian precincts, while turnout in its most Cuban and most Republican precincts was well ahead of the state average.

“We see turnout dipping outside the Cuban bloc,” says Ricky Junquera, vice chair of the Miami-Dade Democrats. “And we need to fix it.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217December 5, 2018 12:31 AM

well, fuck! ^^^^

by Anonymousreply 218December 5, 2018 12:53 AM

The Florida results are easy to explain. Just like the stolen 2016 presidential election was easy to explain. They fucking cheated.

by Anonymousreply 219December 5, 2018 1:50 AM

Woody Allen said that 80 percent of life is showing up, and operatives from both parties agreed that Florida Democrats have been remarkably slow to learn that lesson when it comes to Hispanic outreach. Instead of organizing year-round, they’ve assumed demography would be destiny. Instead of selling progressive policies aggressively on Spanish-language media, they’ve assumed their positions on issues like immigration and health care would speak for themselves. And while Democrats are starting to put in more face time in Hispanic communities, Republicans are still doing a better job of nuts-and-bolts politicking with a demographic that is now one-sixth of the state’s electorate. Roberto Rodriguez Tejera, a Miami talk-radio host, says it’s often hard to find bilingual Democratic politicians and surrogates who will come on the air. Annette Taddeo, a Democratic state senator from the Miami area, says many of her fellow Democrats think they can introduce themselves to Hispanics a few months before Election Day with stump speeches and TV ads.

“I’m sick and tired of being the only Democrat who shows up at Nicaraguan events, Venezuelan events,” Taddeo says. “You can’t just show up in campaign mode; you’ve got to be present all the time.” In August, Taddeo attended the inauguration of the new president of her native Colombia—and was not surprised to run into Rick Scott. It wasn’t a major news event in the mainstream U.S. media, but just about every Colombian voter in Florida heard that their governor had paid his respects.

“Rick Scott is a master of this,” she says. “He gets that it’s not just about policies and issues. It’s about being there.”

In late 2011, as Nelson was preparing for his previous Senate reelection campaign, then-Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid warned him to pay more attention to Hispanics back home. A top Reid aide from Miami, Jose Parra, recalls telling Nelson about a slew of Hispanic journalists in Florida who had complained they were being ignored. “Look, I’ve got a lot of media markets to deal with,” Nelson told Parra. “And frankly, I don’t think I’m going to get the Cuban vote.”

Parra was stunned. Florida is the ultimate 50-50 swing state, and he assumed any seasoned politician would know the key to winning here is managing margins. Yes, Parra told Nelson, most Cubans are Republicans, but if you work hard you might get 40 percent of them, like Bill Clinton did, and that could be the difference between winning and losing. What was even more surprising was Nelson’s apparent belief that “Hispanics” meant “Cubans,” when only about a third of the state’s Hispanics are of Cuban origin. “You’ve also got Puerto Ricans, Ecuadorans, Colombians—those votes add up!” Parra says.

by Anonymousreply 220December 5, 2018 3:10 AM

Nelson took Reid’s advice in 2012 and won comfortably. Then again, his opponent that year was not nearly as formidable as Scott, a two-term governor who spent more than $50 million of his own money to take Nelson out. In 2012, Nelson also benefited from the work done to mobilize Hispanics by President Barack Obama, whose successful reelection campaign in Florida is considered a model for how Democrats can maximize their Hispanic vote.

“We cracked the code. And we figured, obviously, Democrats will keep following this playbook, right?” says Miami pollster Fernand Amandi, who helped Obama target the Hispanic vote in 2012. “Wrong. They abandoned it.”

The first element of the playbook was to start early. A year before the election, Obama’s internal polls had him tied with potential Republican opponents among Florida Hispanics, who repeatedly told Amandi’s focus groups they didn’t think Obama had accomplished anything. So the Obama campaign began airing a series of ads on Spanish-language television featuring the Cuban talk show host Cristina Saralegui, a kind of Hispanic Oprah Winfrey, explaining Obama’s work on issues like the economy, education, foreign policy and, especially, health care, an issue on which Hispanics tend to lean progressive. The campaign specifically targeted Puerto Ricans in the central Florida area with reminders that Obama had appointed the first Puerto Rican to the Supreme Court, Justice Sonia Sotomayor, while playing defense with Cubans in South Florida through an ad featuring former Miami Mayor Manny Diaz vouching for Obama’s distaste for the Castro government.

Ultimately, Obama received more than 60 percent of the Hispanic vote in Florida, including nearly half the Cuban vote. And overall, Hispanic turnout was way up in Florida in 2012, for the first time equaling the Hispanic share of registered voters. Over the past six years, the Hispanic share of the Florida electorate has continued to increase, a potential gold mine for Democrats. But in 2018, non-Cuban Hispanics were less likely to vote than whites or blacks, and their margins for Gillum and Nelson were significantly lower than their margins for Obama.

by Anonymousreply 221December 5, 2018 3:12 AM

R217, how many times does it need to be said that Politico is known for putting hit pieces on the Latino electorate? Politico and The Hill have direct ties to Pete Wilson from the Prop 187 fame.

by Anonymousreply 222December 5, 2018 3:36 AM

What is not true about the article? Multiple sources have say the same things.

by Anonymousreply 223December 5, 2018 3:38 AM

The Wisconsin Senate voted early Wednesday to pass a sweeping measure designed to empower the Republican-controlled Legislature and weaken the Democrat replacing Republican Gov. Scott Walker.

Republicans worked through the night amid late protests, internal disagreement and Democratic opposition to the measures, which are designed to reduce the powers of incoming Democratic Gov.-elect Tony Evers and Democratic Attorney General-elect Josh Kaul.

The measure passed 17-16 with all Republicans except one in support. All Democrats voted against it. The Assembly was expected to pass the bill later Wednesday, sending it on to Walker for his consideration. Walker has signaled support.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224December 5, 2018 1:13 PM

Does anybody know if this GOP fuckery in Wisconsin will go to the courts?

I would think that the state constitution outlines the duties and responsibilities of the governor. No?

by Anonymousreply 225December 5, 2018 3:52 PM

Probably, R225. But it can drag on.

The lawsuits in North Carolina are still ongoing.

by Anonymousreply 226December 5, 2018 4:17 PM

R226 Thanks. I hope Wisconsin challenges this nonsense with a passion.

And yes, that North Carolina election fraud issue is being pursued feverishly by the Dems.

by Anonymousreply 227December 5, 2018 4:40 PM

R227, I meant the lawsuits by the NC Dem Governor against the Rethug legislature stripping him of powers.

by Anonymousreply 228December 5, 2018 4:47 PM

R225

Thanks for the reminder. I forgot the fuckery is also going on in NC.

And it’s been reported, that Michigan is trying to do the same thing.

That’s a total of three states. Take it to the courts. Enough of this crap. The balls on these Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 229December 5, 2018 5:15 PM

There are no words for the absolute criminals and thugs they are. Thugs are above these goons. Goons are above these cretins. Cretins are above these.......

by Anonymousreply 230December 5, 2018 10:27 PM

The Wisconsin Rethug argument to strip/ reduce the incoming Governor’s power is that they “see a shift in values, that is moving from conservative, to more liberal, this the need to rebalance power among the other branches of government”.

Well what the fuck assholes? That’s what the voters voted for! They want change dummies!

Off to court we go. I hope the the outgoing sleeze Scott Walker (who is poised to sign the bill), gets his nut sack handed to him in a doggy bag.

by Anonymousreply 231December 5, 2018 10:55 PM

How is the runoff for GA SoS going today?

by Anonymousreply 232December 6, 2018 2:28 AM

The runoff for Georgia SoS was yesterday ... the Republican won.

by Anonymousreply 233December 6, 2018 2:40 AM

Thank you for the updates r233

by Anonymousreply 234December 6, 2018 2:42 AM

NH SoS the repug won as well.

by Anonymousreply 235December 6, 2018 2:45 AM

More on NC-09: the Republican is DIRTY DIRTY DIRTY!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236December 7, 2018 4:41 PM

For what it’s worth, I volunteered heavily for the Florida Democratic Party and can say that there was absolutely no outreach in Central Florida to the 100,000 or so new Puerto Ricans in Orlando. It was baffling because the MSM had mentioned months before that they could possibly boost the Democratic vote...but our marching orders were to trot out the Nelson persuasion scripts to every Baby Boomer registered Independent voter right up till the last weekend. SMH.

by Anonymousreply 237December 7, 2018 6:52 PM

R237 I understand your frustration. I’ve only worked a little bit on political campaigns but I have a PR background. What you were seeing was a strategy that was based on research—for whatever reason, after crunching the dollars vs the needs, there was a belief that the money was best spent in the baby boomer demographic. Who knows why—but it wasn’t out of ignorance, it was out of deciding where best to use the limited resources for the biggest bang.

by Anonymousreply 238December 7, 2018 7:06 PM

So NC-9 gets a do-over?

by Anonymousreply 239December 16, 2018 7:13 PM

Both a primary and a general, if the NC GOP has its way. They don't want Harris on the ballot again.

by Anonymousreply 240December 16, 2018 7:15 PM

R237 I understand you completely. In Texas the DNC only spent 3 million dollars targeting Latinos while the Repuclicans spent 70 millions. Indefensible.

by Anonymousreply 241December 16, 2018 8:00 PM

Horrible

by Anonymousreply 242December 16, 2018 8:29 PM

WTF?

Do the Dems just figure Latinos ate going to vote D anyway? That's so lame.

by Anonymousreply 243December 17, 2018 1:03 AM

r243, no they don't.

Those privileged Cubans will vote Republican for 4 generations.

by Anonymousreply 244December 17, 2018 6:12 AM

Dems in Florida love shooting themselves in the foot.

by Anonymousreply 245December 17, 2018 6:21 AM

And Reps in Florida love to cheat.

by Anonymousreply 246December 17, 2018 12:08 PM

So did NC-9 just get certified for the cheater?

by Anonymousreply 247December 28, 2018 6:46 PM

Oh good it didn't get certified. The cheater wants it certified and the repugs are throwing epic baby crying rants. FUCK THEM!

by Anonymousreply 248December 28, 2018 9:20 PM

The incoming Democratic House won't seat Harris (the cheater in NC-9).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249December 28, 2018 10:59 PM

Ha ha! And he already went to Freshman orientation and everything.

by Anonymousreply 250December 31, 2018 1:28 PM

Time to resurrect this thread since NC-9 is back in play!

Cheating bastards!

by Anonymousreply 251February 22, 2019 2:43 AM

Are they going to indict the cheater AND let him run again?

So southern.

Bless their hearts.

by Anonymousreply 252February 24, 2019 6:37 AM

Harris may not run again because he's in poor health and he's out of money.

My heart goes out to him. lol

I hope in the end, the Dem takes the seat.

by Anonymousreply 253February 24, 2019 1:48 PM

The NC GOP will most likely not allow him.

Regardless, I think it's highly likely McCready will win.

by Anonymousreply 254February 24, 2019 2:09 PM

Harris dropped out today.

by Anonymousreply 255February 26, 2019 10:57 PM

r255 Wait, WHAT?!

by Anonymousreply 256February 26, 2019 11:20 PM

He's a crook he should drop out.

by Anonymousreply 257February 26, 2019 11:23 PM

Another Dem pickup?

by Anonymousreply 258February 28, 2019 2:57 AM

Let's hope.

by Anonymousreply 259February 28, 2019 3:15 AM

possibly r258. There will be a repug runoff then a special election.

We need to help gotv for mcready when the time comes.

by Anonymousreply 260February 28, 2019 3:16 AM

Their side cheated. We should be seated.

by Anonymousreply 261February 28, 2019 3:26 AM

What are the chances we pick up NC-9?

by Anonymousreply 262March 12, 2019 9:51 PM

r262, Depends on who wins the Republican primary which BTW, Mark Harris is not running in again.

And then it depends on if the Democratic candidate can win the general.

by Anonymousreply 263March 13, 2019 1:54 PM

[quote]And then it depends on if the Democratic candidate can win the general.

Given that McCready would have won had Harris not blatantly cheated...

by Anonymousreply 264March 14, 2019 12:33 AM

How many "McCreadys" are there in the nation?

How many seats has the GOP actually stolen?

Imagine how epic this midterm election would have been had every district in the nation been fairly drawn?

by Anonymousreply 265April 16, 2019 10:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!