Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Oscar Season: 2018 Movies Part 4

Part 3 linked below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600December 4, 2018 11:48 PM

I’m seeing “The Favourite” tonight in NYC. So excited!

by Anonymousreply 1November 18, 2018 4:55 PM

Oops, didn’t mean to put Ryan Gosling at the bottom. It was alphabetical but I forgot him entirely.

by Anonymousreply 2November 18, 2018 4:56 PM

Rami will definitely get an Oscar nod now.

by Anonymousreply 3November 18, 2018 5:02 PM

Why? His reviews for BH weren’t that good, they were just better than the movie itself.

by Anonymousreply 4November 18, 2018 5:03 PM

G is campaigning for this I hear.

by Anonymousreply 5November 18, 2018 5:06 PM

Haven’t seen any so I’m well-qualified to award the Oscar to . . .

Christian Bale.

by Anonymousreply 6November 18, 2018 5:09 PM

R4 he's considered a minority and BR is a worldwide smash. He's also well-liked in the industry.

by Anonymousreply 7November 18, 2018 5:17 PM

Br is the highest grossing movie in the entire list. Rami will get a nod.

by Anonymousreply 8November 18, 2018 5:27 PM

Remember how no one considered Sandra Bullock part of the Oscar race back in 2009, until THE BLIND SIDE opened and became a huge hit.

by Anonymousreply 9November 18, 2018 5:30 PM

Bohemian Rhapsody has made more $$ than A Star is Born?

by Anonymousreply 10November 18, 2018 5:32 PM

Br has grossed 385 million in three weeks vs star is born 340 million in almost two months

by Anonymousreply 11November 18, 2018 5:43 PM

If Bale wins it will be the second year in a row where the winner, who was portraying a political figure of yesteryear, threw on a bunch of prosthetics, gained some weight and called it a performance. Enough already. I hope someone else wins. Christian Bale is a shapeshifter only.

by Anonymousreply 12November 18, 2018 5:48 PM

I wouldn't think too much of comparing BR to ASIB in terms of box office numbers. No one thought an R-Rated remake like ASIB would do as well as it did. In contrast, BR is basically a Queen - one of the biggest bands of all time - concert. Of course it was going to to do better.

by Anonymousreply 13November 18, 2018 6:03 PM

And ASIB should beat BR in terms of US box office. FWIW.

by Anonymousreply 14November 18, 2018 6:04 PM

R14 I think BR could pull ahead. Currently, it's grossed $127 million stateside on its third weekend; ASIB has grossed $185 on its seventh weekend.

by Anonymousreply 15November 18, 2018 6:09 PM

Will the Elton John biopic pull these crazy bohemian rhapsody numbers?

by Anonymousreply 16November 18, 2018 6:10 PM

Bohemian Rhapsody lost nearly 50% of its audience from last weekend. It won't be able to overtake ASIB at the US box office.

by Anonymousreply 17November 18, 2018 6:12 PM

[quote]BR is basically a Queen - one of the biggest bands of all time - concert. Of course it was going to to do better.

That was not a guarantee, especially with Singer at the helm.

by Anonymousreply 18November 18, 2018 6:12 PM

And audiences live the movie, 8.4 on IMDb with 100,00 votes, 93 percent liked it on rotten tomatoes. Critics thought it was Ehud but audiences didn't give a crap.

by Anonymousreply 19November 18, 2018 6:14 PM

[quote]If Bale wins it will be the second year in a row where the winner, who was portraying a political figure of yesteryear, threw on a bunch of prosthetics, gained some weight and called it a performance. Enough already. I hope someone else wins. Christian Bale is a shapeshifter only.

I like Bale, but I agree. Oldman’s win was contentious, to say the least. And Bale doesn’t have the overdue factor that Oldman had propelling him to the win. Still, a lot of voters seem to fall for the mimicry=great acting bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 20November 18, 2018 6:15 PM

R20 especially if they're British. They need to kick out the Anglophiles from the Academy.

by Anonymousreply 21November 18, 2018 6:17 PM

I don't think it will beat a star is born domestically but it's hitting 500 million worldwide which is unheard of for a biopic, that's superhero money.

by Anonymousreply 22November 18, 2018 6:19 PM

I agree R20. I love Bale, but I think it's Cooper's year. If Bale didn't already have on Oscar I might think otherwise.

I also agree with R17. BR is $50 million behind ASIB in the US. It grossed 15 million this weekend. ASIB grossed just under 5 million. No way is BR going to surpass ASIB.

Totally R22. WW it's a HUGE hit. I love Freddie so I'm thrilled.

by Anonymousreply 23November 18, 2018 6:19 PM

R23 how twee

by Anonymousreply 24November 18, 2018 6:23 PM

I don’t think Rocket Man (the Elton John film) will do as well as BR. Taron Egerton seems miscast as EJ.

by Anonymousreply 25November 18, 2018 6:29 PM

[quote]I don’t think Rocket Man (the Elton John film) will do as well as BR. Taron Egerton seems miscast as EJ.

BR at least has straight dude appeal. Elton, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 26November 18, 2018 6:42 PM

R20, Oldman's win is only contentious for bitter Timmy's fans. Bale will not win it because he already has Oscar and he plays real life politician under heavy makeup and that's too similar to last year BA win.

by Anonymousreply 27November 18, 2018 6:53 PM

Ethan Hawke is magnificent. But too understated to win.

by Anonymousreply 28November 18, 2018 7:29 PM

Vice screened last night and the reaction is that Bale is magnificent. Hell, just watch the trailer. He’s uncanny. If the whole performance is at that level, I don’t doubt he could win.

As for Oldman, he won for his whole career. His work in Darkest Hour was nothing but bluster.

by Anonymousreply 29November 18, 2018 7:33 PM

[quote]Hell, just watch the trailer.

No. I don't do Dick (Cheney).

by Anonymousreply 30November 18, 2018 7:37 PM

“A Star is Born”

by Anonymousreply 31November 18, 2018 7:54 PM

Roma is looking to be a harder and harder sell as time goes by and the animosity towards Netflix grows.

by Anonymousreply 32November 18, 2018 8:36 PM

R32 Cuaron already has his Oscar, so no biggie.

by Anonymousreply 33November 18, 2018 8:41 PM

"As for Oldman, he won for his whole career. His work in Darkest Hour was nothing but bluster."

Sweetheart, the most important thing is that he won. He is award winner now. But nature of his role may derail now Bale's winning cause he is doing similar thing. I bet Cooper will fight for that Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 34November 18, 2018 8:46 PM

Do you think Cooper directing himself will be a benefit?

by Anonymousreply 35November 18, 2018 9:00 PM

I can't remember, but did all the Oscar bait films last year also bomb this badly as this year's bunch? Besides The Hate U Give( which at least looks like it's gonna recover its budget cost, can't say that about the other Oscar films) and A Star is Born, every other Oscar film has been essentially DOA.

by Anonymousreply 36November 18, 2018 9:11 PM

I saw Boy Erased last night. Wonderful film with terrific performances by Lucas Hedges, Nicole Kidman, ad Russell Crowe. Kidman in particular deserves a nomination for Supporting - she was so fucking good in this.

by Anonymousreply 37November 18, 2018 9:22 PM

R36 Get Out, Lady Bird, Shape of Water, Dunkirk, Darkest Hour, Three Billboards and The Post should have all been profitable. CMBYN might've been, too. Phantom Thread probably wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 38November 18, 2018 9:24 PM

Rami deserves a nod just for the live aid scene alone, he was magical.

by Anonymousreply 39November 18, 2018 9:30 PM

CMBYN was profitable. It was made for $3.5 million and grossed $18 million stateside and $23 million overseas.

by Anonymousreply 40November 18, 2018 9:40 PM

Far cry from the b.o of brokeback mountain.

by Anonymousreply 41November 18, 2018 9:44 PM

R38, you are right, only Phantom Thread didn't make profit last year. All other 8 movies nominated for Best Picture made good profit and were financially successful.

by Anonymousreply 42November 18, 2018 9:49 PM

Brokeback Mountain was a cultural moment.

by Anonymousreply 43November 18, 2018 9:49 PM

Robert Redford belongs in the Best Actress category.

by Anonymousreply 44November 18, 2018 9:59 PM

R38. Damn, you're right. I honestly couldn't really remember any Oscar film from last year and forgot that all of those films were successful, and some hugely so ( Dunkirk, Get Out, CMBYN.) I wonder what the hell happened this year? I guess you just never know what is gonna catch the public interest.

by Anonymousreply 45November 18, 2018 10:03 PM

R41 Apples and oranges. BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN was an American film directed by Ang Lee, who already had made a name for himself in the industry (e.g., THE WEDDING BANQUET, SENSE & SENSIBILITY, THE ICE STORM). He had been Oscar-nominated for directing and producing CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON and had been hired to direct the big budget HULK, which earned him some notoriety. The film also starred Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger who had world renown. The film also received a lot of positive publicity and was released during a time when it wasn't easy to find leaked movies online.

CMBYN didn't have any of that and many peopled watched screeners online, because they couldn't wait for it to officially open.

by Anonymousreply 46November 18, 2018 10:05 PM

What movies are front runners for BP nominations this year?

by Anonymousreply 47November 18, 2018 10:09 PM

R47 according to GoldDerby:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48November 18, 2018 10:13 PM

Don’t count out Emily Blunt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49November 18, 2018 11:25 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50November 18, 2018 11:26 PM

I really want Cooper to win this. His acting was as good as it was in American Sniper but he also learned to play guitar like an actual rocker and sang. While co-writing and directing the entire movie.

I don’t want Bale to win, esp for playing Dick Cheney, one of the worst human beings our country has ever known. I hope the movie does terribly at the box office - you couldn’t pay me to look at someone pretending to be that psycho for 2 hours.

by Anonymousreply 51November 18, 2018 11:38 PM

Too bad we don't have any black or Hispanic actors.

by Anonymousreply 52November 18, 2018 11:42 PM

Dick Cheney is one of the worst human beings ever made but doesn't the movie show him for what he is?

by Anonymousreply 53November 18, 2018 11:44 PM

R52 there shouldn't be a quota.

by Anonymousreply 54November 18, 2018 11:48 PM

What's the difference between Vice and W. (besides the subject, of course)?

by Anonymousreply 55November 18, 2018 11:49 PM

I have never seen anything bad by Nicole Kidman. She really is a great actor and she is beautiful too.

by Anonymousreply 56November 18, 2018 11:52 PM

I don't like Viggo but the movie looks great...from the commercials.

by Anonymousreply 57November 18, 2018 11:54 PM

R53 - i think they are marketing it like a dark comedy, kind of like Big Short. To me, there is nothing remotely entertaining about anything Cheney-related. And I have no interest in revising a dark American time while we are in an even darker time.

by Anonymousreply 58November 18, 2018 11:54 PM

I just finished watching The Hate U Give. It's was far better than I expected (though honestly, I had no idea what it was about, just that it was based on a YA novel). They kept the heavy-handedness to a minimum (until the last half hour, which got super preachy and eye-rolling) and the cast was uniformly excellent. I'd love to see the late Audrey Wells get an Oscar nomination for Best Adapted Screenplay. She really was a terrific writer who had her share of clunkers, but did some great work, too.

by Anonymousreply 59November 18, 2018 11:54 PM

R58 it started with that WOLF OF WALL STREET. Then that Tonya Harding movie last year. I think we're gonna see more dark comedies based on bad/evil people until it runs its course.

by Anonymousreply 60November 19, 2018 12:01 AM

Mary Poppins Returns will turn out to be a last minute surprise and win the Oscar for Best Picture. Emily Blunt will be nominated for Best Actress but won't win. Dick Van Dyke will get the sentimental vote and be nominated for Best Supporting Actor. No prediction yet on his chances of winning.

by Anonymousreply 61November 19, 2018 12:02 AM

Agree that Bale would be the frontrunner this year except that he already has an Oscar. Cooper acted and directed himself, as well as co-wrote the ASIB screenplay. I don't think they'll give him the Director statue for his first effort, Ampas voters are too conservative for that.

Given that Bale is only 44 and has years of great performances ahead of him (he seems to be moving into a kind of near Day-Lewis level or phase at this point - not quite, but close, getting there), the Academy will want to leave room to award him his 2nd or even 3rd statues. He also doesn't direct or write, so the acting category is the one where he'll make his mark. I think this is will be his 4th nomination?

So with all this, I'd say Best Actor is going to Cooper. It's his viewed a 'his year'.

The bigger question is who will compete against Gaga in Best Actress? If Vice makes bank and gets the reviews, will they put long-overdue fave Amy Adams in the lead category? She and Colman at this point would be the only real competition.

by Anonymousreply 62November 19, 2018 1:12 AM

It's his viewed a 'his year' = it's viewed as 'his year' in r62

by Anonymousreply 63November 19, 2018 1:12 AM

Adams is going Supporting, R62, and she looks like the easy winner over Regina King, especially since I’ve heard King doesn’t have much screen time, but she makes up for it with one big scene. I think she’d need more than that to beat Amy Adams.

And it’s Glenn versus Gaga in Actress. Olivia Colman might end up winning the most critic’s prizes, but middle-aged British character actresses just don’t win Best Actress at the Oscars, even if they seem like the early front-runner (Blethyn, Dench, Staunton). And Helen Mirren doesn’t count; she was a star still sold as a sex symbol when she won for “The Queen.”

by Anonymousreply 64November 19, 2018 1:51 AM

R61 was just let out of her hospice for fresh air

by Anonymousreply 65November 19, 2018 2:00 AM

[quote]And ASIB should beat BR in terms of US box office. FWIW.

Come on now, if you're going to do that you should commit. I'll fix it for ya...

+ ASIB should beat BR ITO US BO. FWIW.

by Anonymousreply 66November 19, 2018 4:02 AM

[quote] Adams is going Supporting, [R62], and she looks like the easy winner over Regina King, especially since I’ve heard King doesn’t have much screen time, but she makes up for it with one big scene. I think she’d need more than that to beat Amy Adams.

Oh really?

by Anonymousreply 67November 19, 2018 4:14 AM

Mahershala Ali is up for Best Supporting Actress?

by Anonymousreply 68November 19, 2018 4:19 AM

R67 Ali benefited from the #OscarsSoWhite movement, which happened that very year.

by Anonymousreply 69November 19, 2018 4:19 AM

Not really, R67. He'd been the frontrunner from the get go and won most of the pre-Oscar awards. It wasn't a sop that AMPAS threw at Jada Pinkett Smith to shut her the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 70November 19, 2018 4:21 AM

Ali was the frontrunner because of the #OscarsSoWhite thing. Jada may have started it in January 2016, but it got a life of its own via Twitter et al. Almost immediately, the Academy reacted by shaking up the membership. So when the next Oscar season rolled around, Ali benefited. One, he was black. Two, he was in an important gay film.

by Anonymousreply 71November 19, 2018 4:29 AM

Just saw The Favourite. Wow. All three actresses (Rachel W, Emma Stone, Olivia Colman) we’re giving career-best performances. I had no idea how dykey the movie was going to be! (Olivia has one line about how amazing it is having Emma Stone’s tongue up her pussy feels...) I have seen a lot of the main contenders and I have to say that Emma Stone, in particular, was giving a ferocious performance. Olivia Colman is a force to be reckoned with. The last three minutes of this film are insane and virtually inscrutable.

by Anonymousreply 72November 19, 2018 4:38 AM

Whatever you say, R71. Whatever you say.

by Anonymousreply 73November 19, 2018 4:48 AM

Mahershala Ali also had the benefit of a really weak year for that category, R70. Dev Patel for “Lion” was probably the runner-up for a pretty basic performance, and I suspect it was a closer race than anyone expected. Even though Ali did win most of the critics’ awards, he still lost the BAFTA to Patel and the Globe to Aaron Taylor-Johnson, of all people. That doesn’t scream landslide winner to me.

I still can’t understand why Ali became the one “Moonlight” performance everyone rallied around, even though I’ve always liked him. Naomie Harris was easily the standout to me, and the fact that she filmed her entire performance in a weekend (and she was the only performer in all three segments!) makes it more impressive.

by Anonymousreply 74November 19, 2018 4:55 AM

Ali won 46 critics awards for Moonlight. But nah, he wasn't the front-runner.

by Anonymousreply 75November 19, 2018 5:17 AM

Rupert Everett should be nominated for Best Actor in "The Happy Prince."

by Anonymousreply 76November 19, 2018 5:34 AM

R75 critics awards don't mean anything in the large scheme of things. Golden Globes, SAG, and BAFTA are the true precursors that matter. Not even LAFCA or NYFCC (the two big critics awards) have much sway in how the Oscar race will turn out.

by Anonymousreply 77November 19, 2018 5:36 AM

R74 Lucas Hedges wasn't a weak performance. IMO, he deserved it.

by Anonymousreply 78November 19, 2018 5:37 AM

Of course Ali was the front-runner, R75, but he didn’t steamroll the competition like everyone expected. Landslide winners don’t lose the Globe and the BAFTA. And if critics prizes guaranteed Oscars, then Willem Dafoe would have Sam Rockwell’s Oscar. And Laurie Metcalf and Timothee Chalamet work just as well as examples, and those comprise three of the four acting categories from last Oscar season.

R78, I thought Hedges was great, too, but even though I thought he and Michael Shannon were the best in the category, neither even had the slightest chance to win. I guess it’s more accurate to say that none of the top contenders in the category gave performances that really impressed me, rather than to categorize the entire category as weak.

by Anonymousreply 79November 19, 2018 5:55 AM

Ethan Hawke was ahh-mazing in First Reformed & in Maudie last year. He's a criminally underrated actor.

by Anonymousreply 80November 19, 2018 6:00 AM

[quote] I have never seen anything bad by Nicole Kidman. She really is a great actor and she is beautiful too.

Isn't it lovely, R56, we, as people, can be so diverse? I find Kidman to be totally lacking of any acting ability whatsoever. She was never good - ok, she was indeed luminously lovely, being objectified, in Billy Bathgate and her (very) bad acting was used brilliantly, seemingly in character, by Gus Van Sant in To Die For, but other than that? No.

by Anonymousreply 81November 19, 2018 6:56 AM

R46 If the movie was so hyped why couldn't even break 100 million ww? A lot of films that star nobodies can break out and become huge box iffice hits so that excuse is tired, the only people that cared at all for straight friendly cmbyn were critics and snobs. No one outside that circle gave to shits for it like they did bbm.

by Anonymousreply 82November 19, 2018 7:23 AM

*two

by Anonymousreply 83November 19, 2018 7:24 AM

All four winners last year were white, so this year they'll need actor of color winning. My money is on Regina King.

by Anonymousreply 84November 19, 2018 11:56 AM

Regina King would be a worthy winner. Her performance in If Beale Street Could Talk is excellent and she is very well liked in Hollywood. I wanted to take issue with someone earlier who said that her work in the film amounts to one big scene. That’s not true. She does have a big showcase moment and her own little side arc in the film (which she nails) but she provides texture in several other scenes. Some of her best work actually is in the beginning when the Fonny’s family comes over to her house where she is part of the ensemble.

I’m resisting the narrative implied above that she would be wining because she’s a black woman. It’s simply not true. Sometimes the POC is actually giving the best performance.

Now, with all that said, I have to say that I would not be mad if either Rachel Wiesz or Emma Stone somehow won in this category for The Favourite. Both are exceptional. Emma Stone, in particular, has never been better. Both are former winnersso it seems unlikely, but they are both brilliant in that film.

by Anonymousreply 85November 19, 2018 12:45 PM

#oscarssoreginaking

by Anonymousreply 86November 19, 2018 1:18 PM

So The Favourite is actually good?

by Anonymousreply 87November 19, 2018 1:30 PM

[quote]she was indeed luminously lovely, being objectified, in Billy Bathgate

The only objectifying I was doing in Billy Bathgate was Billy Bathgate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88November 19, 2018 1:33 PM

R87, yes, it really is. And the three actresses are all stellar (although, I feel like they are all co-leads with Emma Stone getting slightly more screen time than the other two). I think the trailer makes it look a lot more of a comedy than it ultimately turns out to be. Don’t get me wrong - there are several laugh-out-loud moments throughout but the film and particularly Colman takes on a distinct level of pathos as the film progresses. It seems like the perfect movie for this “year of the woman” too as the men in the film are prissy, impotent fops for the most part. (Nicholas Hoult is always so sexy to me though, even in his frippery and wigs).

One of the best movies I’ve seen this year. I haven’t seen any of Lanthimos’s previous films but I’m excited to check them out now.

by Anonymousreply 89November 19, 2018 1:41 PM

[quote]One of the best movies I’ve seen this year. I haven’t seen any of Lanthimos’s previous films but I’m excited to check them out now.

From the trailer of THE FAVOURITE, it's vastly different in tone than THE LOBSTER or KILLING OF A SACRED DEER. While I loved the both of those films, tonally it's a bit too much for some to take.

by Anonymousreply 90November 19, 2018 1:44 PM

ASIB will probably win Best Picture, Best Actor and Best Song.

I can't see Gaga taking Actress

by Anonymousreply 91November 19, 2018 1:47 PM

I dont know about best picture but itll most likely win best song and Cooper is the fav for now.

by Anonymousreply 92November 19, 2018 1:50 PM

I want Colman to win now.

by Anonymousreply 93November 19, 2018 1:54 PM

People love Regina King.

by Anonymousreply 94November 19, 2018 2:02 PM

[quote]I dont know about best picture but itll most likely win best song and Cooper is the fav for now.

Unless some scandal breaks, I too think ASIB has this one. It’s not about movies per se, but it’s about Hollywood, fame, etc. And we’ve seen time and again, movies with those themes do well.

by Anonymousreply 95November 19, 2018 2:03 PM

From r49:

[quote] The Best Supporting Actress race is a minefield where three to four incredible performances will miss the cut for Oscar, but no one should discount Streep sneaking in. Her singing and dancing are just too impressive to discount because she already has 21 nominations and three wins.

M has a more than decent shot. And if the Academy is anything like DL, they will want M in attendance to witness G win - or lose - the BA competition.

by Anonymousreply 96November 19, 2018 3:35 PM

For anyone curious about First Reformed who has Amazon Prime, it just showed up on their Prime service.

FWIW, don't waste your time. I would have walked out, but I was on a plane.

by Anonymousreply 97November 19, 2018 3:57 PM

I liked First Reformed more than most movies I saw this year.

by Anonymousreply 98November 19, 2018 4:16 PM

Boy Erased was a snore.

by Anonymousreply 99November 19, 2018 4:47 PM

Had anyone seen Mary Poppins? Any Oscar hope for Blunt? Can any of the songs match ASIB?

by Anonymousreply 100November 19, 2018 5:30 PM

r99: I agree about Boy Erased. Don't waste your money.

by Anonymousreply 101November 19, 2018 5:57 PM

How rich would it be if G won Best Actress and M took Best Supporting? The inevitable picture of them backstage clutching their respective statuettes and offering up their gurn-like smiles would become a DL classic.

by Anonymousreply 102November 19, 2018 7:10 PM

I would love to see Regina King win the Oscar. Emma Stone is great in The Favourite, and this should have been her Oscar win instead of La La Land. I’m giving it to King because they are not going to give Emma 2 Oscars this young, not yet.

I think Supporting Actor will be between Grant and Ali, but I’m going to give it to Ali.

I think Bradley Cooper for Best Actor and I think Best Actress is close between Glenn and Gaga— older voters will probably go with Glenn because they probably believe she’s due one, I think

by Anonymousreply 103November 19, 2018 7:59 PM

Regina King is very popular with her peers. She practically wins an Emmy every other year, and gets a standing ovation each time.

by Anonymousreply 104November 19, 2018 8:14 PM

I loved how genuinely shocked she looked when she won an Emmy for 7 Seconds.

by Anonymousreply 105November 19, 2018 8:24 PM

I think if Crazy Rich Asians goes to the Oscars, Michelle Yeoh will be the only actor to get recognized. But Supporting Actress is tough this year.

I’m skeptical that Lupita Nyong’o gets in on a SA. If Michael B Jordan and Chadwick Boseman get on the ballot, it’s likely due to heavy campaigning. I wish Michael B Jordan was nominated for Creed years ago. He was excellent.

by Anonymousreply 106November 19, 2018 8:26 PM

How is Jordan getting recognized for Black Panther? He's fine but doesn't do anything amazing acting wise I it.

by Anonymousreply 107November 19, 2018 8:28 PM

Emma Stone is my favorite in supporting this year, but I’ll gladly cheer on Regina King who is really great in Beale Street. A completely lived-in performance from an industry veteran.

by Anonymousreply 108November 19, 2018 8:32 PM

I know LaineyGossip thinks MBJ has a chance (the best chance acting wise out of everyone in Black Panther) for a nomination because Heath Ledger set the precedence for actors in a comic book movie getting recognized. But I would argue that Heath Ledger’s performance was on a much different level than what was saw in BP, and The Dark Knight was a much better movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109November 19, 2018 8:35 PM

I know it happens often but would Stone's nomination be category fraud?

by Anonymousreply 110November 19, 2018 8:37 PM

Stone has the most screentime in the film and the most definable arc. But the three women are all hinged on each other throughout the film.I think she probably belongs in the lead category. But I like the performance so much that I really don’t care about the fraud this time.

I think the fact that Stone and Weisz are both literally “supporting” Colman’s royal character is a big part of how the category designations have been dictated.

by Anonymousreply 111November 19, 2018 8:43 PM

I think Black Panther has a decent chance of winning Best Picture as long as the snobs don't vote.

by Anonymousreply 112November 19, 2018 8:51 PM

Yeah and Viola Davis was supporting her husband in Fences even though shes in over half the movie and the only distinguished female character.

by Anonymousreply 113November 19, 2018 8:52 PM

The biggest category fraud I can remember as of late was Alicia Vikander in the Danish Girl

by Anonymousreply 114November 19, 2018 8:55 PM

Uh yeah it seemed like she was in the movie more than Redmayne.

by Anonymousreply 115November 19, 2018 8:59 PM

R113, I’m not saying that Stone is giving a supporting performance. I was saying that the nature of her role specifically lends itself to justify her category placement.

by Anonymousreply 116November 19, 2018 9:04 PM

Supporting actor and actress is supposed to mean the amount screen time is considerably less than a lead actor right? It's not supposed to mean a character is literally supportive of another character in the film.

by Anonymousreply 117November 19, 2018 9:07 PM

Oh good lord. We are not in disagreement about this!!! I am trying to say that I can see the studio itself (and even the Academy voters) using the justification I have already laid out for the placement of Colman in lead and Stone/Weisz in support in their voting/nominating. Sort of like how it was somehow decided that Alfre Woodard’s caregiver role was “supporting” Mary McDonnell (who played her employer) in Passion Fish regardless of the fact that the two women have practically equal screen time.

Are you, like, fucking dense or something?

by Anonymousreply 118November 19, 2018 9:36 PM

Not dense. Just think it's a stupid way to do it

by Anonymousreply 119November 19, 2018 9:37 PM

I agree. It doesn’t make any sense. But not once have I said that this is what should be done. I don’t know why you you keep implying that I’m outlining it and owning it as my own justification for category placement. I very clearly said that Emma Stone is a co-lead in the film. I simply stated that the nature of her supportive role is giving the studio a reason to justify her eligibility for a supporting nomination.

by Anonymousreply 120November 19, 2018 9:42 PM

Viola Davis was lead in Fences #CategoryFraud

Stone is not supporting in The Favourite #CategoryFraud

Alicia Vikander and Rooney Mara were also category frauds

many supporting actress/actors have been category fraud win

by Anonymousreply 121November 19, 2018 11:03 PM

Stone, Weisz and Coleman are all lead in The Favourite the movie has 3 leads

by Anonymousreply 122November 19, 2018 11:04 PM

Rooney Mara had more screen time than Blanchett in Carol and she was the lead

by Anonymousreply 123November 19, 2018 11:05 PM

R103 I would love to see Regina King win the Oscar.

I would love to see that Regina King win the Oscar and beat DL fave and closet actress Lamy Adams

by Anonymousreply 124November 19, 2018 11:06 PM

So Amy Adams is gay now, too?

by Anonymousreply 125November 19, 2018 11:15 PM

R124 Do you think she will even get on the ballot? I read that Adams and Chalamet could possibly be left off their respect categories because of MarinaDe Tavira, Michelle Yeoh, and Margot Robbie for Adams and Sam Elliott, Sam Rockwell and Alex Wolff for Chalamet

by Anonymousreply 126November 19, 2018 11:17 PM

R126 Do you think she will even get on the ballot?

Yes

Early Buzz on ‘Vice’ Touts Christian Bale and Amy Adams as Oscar Contenders

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127November 19, 2018 11:24 PM

R127 Nice. I love it when nobody runs away with it

by Anonymousreply 128November 19, 2018 11:26 PM

Never count out Amy Adams. She even knocked Emma Thompson out of the running in 2013 for a surprise lead actress nod for American Hustle.

That said, I cannot see both Glenn AND Amy getting their overdue Oscars in the same year. That narrative is only going to play in one of those categories.

by Anonymousreply 129November 19, 2018 11:33 PM

Amy Adams looks like Hilary Clinton in Vice if Adams loses this year her next Oscar bait project probably will be a Hilary biopic

by Anonymousreply 130November 19, 2018 11:33 PM

Adams always had Harvey and his money to heavy campaign for her and strength of her films not exactly her performances

by Anonymousreply 131November 19, 2018 11:36 PM

I barely even remember Lynn Cheney and Indon’t think I’ve ever heard her speak.

This could be a The Master-type performance for her where she was silently evil in the background.

by Anonymousreply 132November 19, 2018 11:40 PM

Meryl’s coming for that 22nd Oscar nom.

“Mary Poppins Returns” could also send a familiar face back to the Dolby Theater, none other than Meryl Streep. The legendary actress doesn’t have a huge role but she toplines one major musical number and it also just happens to be one of the most memorable of the picture. And, of course, she’s Meryl so she’s great in it. The Best Supporting Actress race is a minefield where three to four incredible performances will miss the cut for Oscar, but no one should discount Streep sneaking in. Her singing and dancing are just too impressive to discount because she already has 21 nominations and three wins.

by Anonymousreply 133November 19, 2018 11:48 PM

Adams was so forgettable in The Master

by Anonymousreply 134November 19, 2018 11:50 PM

I think Vice will do very poorly at the box office.

by Anonymousreply 135November 19, 2018 11:52 PM

I thought Sam Rockwell’s win was also category fraud. He was clearly the male lead in Three Billboards.

by Anonymousreply 136November 20, 2018 12:00 AM

[quote]I read that Adams and Chalamet could possibly be left off their respect categories because of MarinaDe Tavira, Michelle Yeoh, and Margot Robbie for Adams and Sam Elliott, Sam Rockwell and Alex Wolff for Chalamet

Yeoh? Robbie? Alex Who? You need a Bridesmaid-level performance to get a supporting nom for a comedy and Robbie is getting panned. No one even knows who Wolff is, and supporting actor for a teen in a horror movie over last year’s best actor runner up?

But please, keep trollin’. It’s fun!

by Anonymousreply 137November 20, 2018 12:08 AM

R137 I’d consider Alex Wolff to be a contender, maybe not a lead one, but Herditary was a great movie full of great performances. Get Out was a horror movie that won last year. I like Chalamet but Beautiful Boy is a weak movie

by Anonymousreply 138November 20, 2018 12:16 AM

[quote]But I would argue that Heath Ledger’s performance was on a much different level than what was saw in BP, and The Dark Knight was a much better movie.

Heath got it because of his passing. The award was practically given to him before the movie even opened. His performance (which isn't very good) had nothing to do with him getting the Oscar.

The Nolan Batman series has not aged well at all. The movies are overlong and dreary. The stories are basic and there's some terrible characterizations (Anne Hathaway's Catwoman being the absolute worst). Wonder Woman, Black Panther, and the Raimi Spider man's are much better movies.

by Anonymousreply 139November 20, 2018 12:20 AM

Ledger also got the Oscar to appease the gay community who felt he had been robbed for Brokeback.

It was partly a PC win.

by Anonymousreply 140November 20, 2018 12:23 AM

R139 I think we will have to agree to disagree. I agree that Batman Begins and The Dark Knight Rises werent perfect. But, I still think The Dark Knight holds up and will hold up for years to come. I also loved Ledger’s performance.

As for Marvel, I personally think Captain America Civil War would have been their best shot at attention from major awards. I remember reading some critics saying they hoped RDJ would at least get a GG nod. I also think Captain America 2 was a better movie than BP. I think it sort of falls apart at the end.

by Anonymousreply 141November 20, 2018 12:26 AM

Variety proclaims Mary Poppins Returns as a serious Oscar contender

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142November 20, 2018 12:26 AM

R136 I thought Sam Rockwell’s win was also category fraud. He was clearly the male lead in Three Billboards.

You are absolutely right Rockwell was lead

by Anonymousreply 143November 20, 2018 12:37 AM

R140 Philip Seymour Hoffman deserved to win for his performance in Doubt instead of Ledger

by Anonymousreply 144November 20, 2018 12:40 AM

Robbie is getting panned?

by Anonymousreply 145November 20, 2018 12:41 AM

I agree with the poster who brought up Alex Wolff. I thought he was excellent in the very problematic Hereditary. Toni and her screen son have both been nominated before in a horror film.

by Anonymousreply 146November 20, 2018 1:06 AM

If Ledger hadn't died, I honestly think that RDJ would've won. Talk about a comeback! Plus, he had a banner year with IRON Man and then his Oscar-nominated performance in TROPIC THUNDER. Not to mention that he was a previous Oscar-nominee (CHAPLIN). PSH had recently won, and the rest (Ledger, Josh Brolin, Michael Shannon) were first-timers.

Also, Ledger would've still been in his twenties. The only other twentysomethings that had won Supporting Actor were George Chakiris (WEST SIDE STORY), Timothy Hutton (ORDINARY PEOPLE), and Cuba Goodking, Jr. (JERRY MAGUIRE). Not a good track record.

by Anonymousreply 147November 20, 2018 1:10 AM

If Ledger had lost to PSH *again* there would have been riots.

by Anonymousreply 148November 20, 2018 1:13 AM

R138 GET OUT was a box office smash; HEREDITARY was profitable but not to that level.

by Anonymousreply 149November 20, 2018 1:13 AM

Adam Driver could be another BSA nominee

by Anonymousreply 150November 20, 2018 1:29 AM

PSH was also better than Waltz in that crappy Weinstein produced film

by Anonymousreply 151November 20, 2018 1:38 AM

I loved Heath Ledger but count me amongst those who say he only won (a) because he died and (b) as a make-up for having denied him Best Actor for "Brokeback." Without those two elements in play, I really don't think he would've won for "Dark Knight."

And R150, I agree about Driver. I also don't know why there's no buzz for Denzel's son, John David, who was excellent in "Blackkklansman."

by Anonymousreply 152November 20, 2018 1:41 AM

God, I hope Driver doesn't get a nomination. He did nothing. What a truly mediocre movie that was.

by Anonymousreply 153November 20, 2018 3:55 AM

I think Melissa could get a SA nom, but she might have the same problem Eddie Murphy did after Dreamgirls... her other work doesn’t hold up

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154November 20, 2018 4:00 AM

Am I the only one who thinks Streep is an overly mannered ham of an actress?

by Anonymousreply 155November 20, 2018 4:26 AM

No, I think the same thing, r155, at least these days. I used to like her, but everything she does is over the top and hammy now. She was awful in Doubt, awful in Iron Lady, and absolutely embarrassing in August Osage County. She wasn't really hammy in The Post last year, but she also wasn't very interesting.

If Mary Poppins does take off, watch the Academy slavishly nominate Streep in Supporting.

by Anonymousreply 156November 20, 2018 4:52 AM

[quote]How rich would it be if G won Best Actress and M took Best Supporting? The inevitable picture of them backstage clutching their respective statuettes and offering up their gurn-like smiles would become a DL classic.

OMFG, how cool would that be? And Streep winning her 4th Oscar would probably upstage Glenn finally winning her 1st! LOL

by Anonymousreply 157November 20, 2018 5:04 AM

Streep's not winning a 4th Oscar this year.

by Anonymousreply 158November 20, 2018 5:13 AM

[quote]Streep winning her 4th Oscar would probably upstage Glenn finally winning her 1st!

Doubtful. It's not like 4 hasn't been done already (by Kate Hepburn, and her four were all for Best Actress, no supporting Oscars).

by Anonymousreply 159November 20, 2018 5:14 AM

Oh, god, I remember when everyone was so sure Streep was going to win #4 for “Into the Woods,” and that was even after it screened. And then Meryl just scraped by with a nomination because it was a barren category and no one was going to beat Patricia Arquette anyway, so might as well name-check Streep as always to class up a category that had Keira Knightley and Emma Stone.

“Mary Poppins Returns” is still a Disney movie, and that company (which is terrible at Oscar campaigning) will focus on “Black Panther” because that movie getting snubbed would cause a Twitter firestorm, leaving it as Disney’s second priority. It’s the film people are talking about because it’s the shiny new thing, but this is the Oscar version of a bubble if I’ve ever seen one.

by Anonymousreply 160November 20, 2018 5:54 AM

"Mary Poppins Returns" is hardly Disney's second priority, and it's a film that has a great deal more Oscar potential in more categories than "Black Panther" does anyway. Disney is already giving it a first class rollout, and they will beat the drums loudly for Oscar. They did a pretty big campaign for "Saving Mr. Banks," even though that one was not likely for much by the time campaign season started.

by Anonymousreply 161November 20, 2018 8:13 AM

Y’all are crazy. Like it or not, Ledger created the most iconic villainous performance of the decade. From an Oscar history perspective, it’s pretty cool that two of the other great 00’s villains- Anton Chigurh and Hans Landa- won Bardem and Waltz Oscars in the years just before and after Ledger. What a great streak for that category.

by Anonymousreply 162November 20, 2018 11:48 AM

Bardem won an Oscar? Wow, I don't even remember that.

by Anonymousreply 163November 20, 2018 11:53 AM

R163 I only remember because Penelope Cruz became the frontrunner for Supporting Actress the following year for VICKI CRISTINA BARCELONA after Kate Winslet (THE READER) was nominated in Lead. I thought it would be so cool if Bardem presented her with the Oscar because they had been dating for two years by that point and they both became the first (and only so far) Spanish actors to win an Oscar (back to back, at that). But then the Academy decided to do 5 former Oscar winners for the acting categories, instead.

by Anonymousreply 164November 20, 2018 2:56 PM

"First Reformed" was one of the worst films of the year

by Anonymousreply 165November 20, 2018 3:13 PM

Do you guys think Dolly is going to give some competition to Gaga over Best Song?

by Anonymousreply 166November 20, 2018 4:08 PM

"First reformed" bombed at BO.

by Anonymousreply 167November 20, 2018 4:44 PM

R167 Haven't most of the Oscar hopefuls so far?

by Anonymousreply 168November 20, 2018 4:52 PM

Warner Bros is making a serious push on ASIB, as expected. Critics and various academy members getting screeners with a personal note from Cooper and a note from Gaga’s journal with Shallow lyrics.

I personally hope it wins BP. Would be nice to have a popular movie win.

by Anonymousreply 169November 20, 2018 6:36 PM

Surely it must be favourite to win BP at this point.

by Anonymousreply 170November 20, 2018 6:57 PM

[quote]"First reformed" bombed at BO.

Which is ironic since Ethan Hawke always has BO.

by Anonymousreply 171November 20, 2018 6:58 PM

Anyone but Bale, because I still think he’s a jerk.

by Anonymousreply 172November 20, 2018 6:58 PM

This thread has really taken off.

Just wanted to mention, Variety didn't LOVE Vice. They paid their respects to Bale's efforted performance but didn't hold back about the rest of it and said it sucked. Wasn't a comedy, no audience for it, said it made you feel worse about yourself by film's end. Doesn't sound like a winner to me but then it never did.

FYI, to R167, Paul Schrader doesn't exactly have a reputation for creating blockbusters, certainly not on his own. The box office of First Reformed is irrelevant. Paul Schrader won James Coburn an Oscar for Affliction and he'll likely get a Best Actor nod for Ethan Hawke, who is terrific in it (even more so because he has to act opposite Amanda Seyfried) and probably a Best Original Screenplay nod for himself. It is a very small film that nonetheless packs a punch and manages to address several key issues of the day including climate change, when activism becomes terrorism, church v state and role of religion in politics. There's a lot going on in that little movie.

by Anonymousreply 173November 20, 2018 8:20 PM

Variety hasn’t reviewed Vice yet, has it? I don’t think anyone has.

by Anonymousreply 174November 20, 2018 8:23 PM

Too all the Toni Collette/Hereditary fans - whatabout Tilda Swinton in Suspiria! It won't likely be nominated for anything, unless is sneaks in a nomination for art direction or something, but I loved Suspiria! Saw it with a nearly sold out audience (in London last weekend) all of whom were so totally engaged in the film that I never saw anyone take out a mobile phone or go to the restroom - it was fantastic! People go on about Meryl Streep but honestly, I'm embarrassed for Meryl always swanning about like The World's Greatest Actress when Tilda Swinton roams the earth! I loved Suspiria. I think people and critics are too busy comparing it to the original - which was absolutely looney - when Gaudagnino has made a serious, straight-faced film about witches. In Berlin! It was really great and will definitely have a life beyond its theatrical release. Just give it time for the right audience to discover it. People keep going on about, "oh, it's not really scary..." Exactly. It's not a run of the mill scary movie. It's disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 175November 20, 2018 8:26 PM

Variety reviewed it at the weekend.

"The film packs an infuriating punch as McKay writes history with lightning yet again. The question for pretty much anyone that he, production company Plan B and distributor Annapurna hopes to engage with this material over the holidays is whether we’re ready to dissect it all. Is the move-going audience — indeed, are Academy voters — ready to take stock of all this chapter in history with the depressing news glowing up at us from our mobile devices on a daily basis? It would be a hell of a time to hand someone an Oscar for portraying this particular man, and that takes nothing from Bale’s brilliant work. By the same token, “Vice” could be argued as the most urgent and important film in the race this year. One just wonders if the stomach is there for it.

"We’ll survey the lead actor category more in-depth in an upcoming column, but it’s safe to say Bale joins “A Star Is Born” multi-hyphenate Bradley Cooper on the top tier of the competition. If the Hollywood Foreign Press Assn. accepts Annapurna’s comedy placement for “Vice” (they may well, but this is far less of a comedy than “The Big Short”), then the two actors will likely split the Golden Globe prizes, which will send them headlong into phase two of the season."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176November 20, 2018 8:30 PM

Most Underwhelming Film of The Year would have to be....Leave No Trace. Anyone who saw Running On Empty in the late '80s knew exactly where this was going from the very first frame. Ben Foster was good (as always) in a very underwritten role and the juvenile lead was good (she looked like what one would imagine the adult Jodie Foster to look like if Jodie Foster actually looked like that as a child). Not sure what the excitement for this film was all about.

by Anonymousreply 177November 20, 2018 8:40 PM

Also, despite the box office success of BR, I really don't think anyone considers Rami Malek a box office draw - the draw for BR was obviously Queen. People went for the music. Even my young niece said, "The script wasn't very good." Probably the first time I've ever heard her have an opinion about a script!

by Anonymousreply 178November 20, 2018 8:49 PM

Next up for Rami Malek: Voicing a cartoon animal in a Dr. Doolittle movie. Seems about right.

by Anonymousreply 179November 20, 2018 8:51 PM

[quote]Just wanted to mention, Variety didn't LOVE Vice. They paid their respects to Bale's efforted performance but didn't hold back about the rest of it and said it sucked. Wasn't a comedy, no audience for it, said it made you feel worse about yourself by film's end. Doesn't sound like a winner to me but then it never did.

I’m not getting “it sucked” from that Variety review. Hard sell to a wide audience? Sure but we already knew that. In fact, Tapley’s review is pretty much a rave.

[quote]But Bale isn’t the full story here, of course. It’s an inspired ensemble McKay has once again pulled together, from Amy Adams as Cheney’s wife Lynne (a Lady Macbeth-like figure) to Steve Carell’s irreverent Donald Rumsfeld to Oscar winner Sam Rockwell’s clueless George W. Bush... Beyond that, it’s an excellently crafted piece of work.

by Anonymousreply 180November 20, 2018 8:54 PM

So Green Book flopped at BO too. Roma cheated and has limited theatre release so doesn't really count. Vice and Favourite haven't opened yet in theatres. Windows flopped at BO. ASIB is the only contender which did well with BO.

by Anonymousreply 181November 20, 2018 8:57 PM

What's up with The Wife's BO? Did it flop or not?

by Anonymousreply 182November 20, 2018 9:01 PM

That’s not the Variety review. It’s just Kris Tapley riffing. He’s not their critic. Owen Gleiberman (sp?) is. I’m not saying the actual review will be any better or worse, but for the moment there are no reviews out.

by Anonymousreply 183November 20, 2018 9:03 PM

[quote] all of whom were so totally engaged in the film (Suspiria) that I never saw anyone take out a mobile phone or go to the restroom

No, dear. They weren't engaged. They were all taking a fucking nap during that interminable snooze of a movie. That's why they didn't move.

by Anonymousreply 184November 20, 2018 9:08 PM

Funny how no one is talking about that bomb, The Wife. Poor Glenn. A loser once again.

by Anonymousreply 185November 20, 2018 9:09 PM

R185 so it bombed?

by Anonymousreply 186November 20, 2018 9:11 PM

[quote]That’s not the Variety review. It’s just Kris Tapley riffing. He’s not their critic.

I know, he’s a pundit so his take is pretty biased. Someone upthread claimed Variety said Vice sucked which is clearly not the case, even if Tapkey’s take isn’t the official review.

by Anonymousreply 187November 20, 2018 9:15 PM

Bale, Cooper, Dafoe, Malek, Viggo. There. Done. Four vets and one newbie card.

by Anonymousreply 188November 20, 2018 9:22 PM

The Favourite is one of my “favorite” films of the year. Five stars.

by Anonymousreply 189November 20, 2018 9:32 PM

Is Coleman campaigning for BA or BSA?

by Anonymousreply 190November 20, 2018 9:36 PM

R188 and for ladies?

by Anonymousreply 191November 20, 2018 9:36 PM

Not feeling as confident there, R191, not even sure about Glenn. The "Favorite" actress seems the only guarantee (if she is not supporting) and I guess Gaga too. I find it hard to get excited about "Star is Born" though, feels like it might've peaked early -- and some "King's Speech" tony effort will come along and unseat it. Cooper will get his, though.

by Anonymousreply 192November 20, 2018 9:46 PM

It’s Colman, R190. Like the mustard.

by Anonymousreply 193November 20, 2018 10:17 PM

They are campaigning Colman for lead. Stone and Weisz for supporting.

by Anonymousreply 194November 20, 2018 10:33 PM

I saw the previews for Vice. Bale's portrayal was good mostly because of ingenious makeup. I saw A Star is Born, expecting to be bowled over by Gaga. I wasn't. But Cooper was phenomenal. Never thought too much of him before this. Hope he wins.

by Anonymousreply 195November 20, 2018 10:35 PM

Actress: Colman, Gaga, McCarthy, Glenn are locks at this point. The fifth spot is up for grabs.

by Anonymousreply 196November 20, 2018 10:58 PM

I'll go watch VICE, but I'm also the type of guy who roots for the villain in superhero movies.

by Anonymousreply 197November 20, 2018 11:20 PM

Don't know why vice went to all caps.

by Anonymousreply 198November 20, 2018 11:22 PM

Collette gets the fifth spot.

by Anonymousreply 199November 20, 2018 11:49 PM

I would LOVE for Collette and Wolff to get nods, but genre bias is real. Get Out was great, deserved every nomination and win, but what made it exempt was its timeliness

by Anonymousreply 200November 20, 2018 11:52 PM

[quote] People go on about Meryl Streep but honestly, I'm embarrassed for Meryl always swanning about like The World's Greatest Actress when Tilda Swinton roams the earth!

Oh, I love Gilda too!

by Anonymousreply 201November 21, 2018 12:23 AM

Vice is still under review embargo. What was just printed were general reactions to the initial screenings in LA over the weekend. Most of the trades posted write ups about it in their "Under Consideration" posts/columns. The actual reviews are yet to come.

by Anonymousreply 202November 21, 2018 1:17 AM

Vice isn’t going to be the complete irrelevance that The Front Runner is but it will be close.

by Anonymousreply 203November 21, 2018 1:42 AM

“Vice” has two acting nominations at the Oscars in the bag (Bale, Adams), and a third a possibility, depending on whether Carell or Rockwell becomes the campaign focus. “The Front Runner” will have to strive for a random Jackman nod at the Golden Globes but will probably just settle for the Satellites.

by Anonymousreply 204November 21, 2018 3:15 AM

Just finished watching Can You Ever Forgive Me and I loved it. McCarthy was really, really good. Richard E. Grant less so, but I've also never been a big fan of his. I thought the screenplay was very well written, and as much as I do not like Jeff Whitty, I can't imagine a better contender this year for Adapted than this.

by Anonymousreply 205November 21, 2018 4:16 AM

[quote]ASIB is the only contender which did well with BO.

Best Picture is going to come down to a battle between A Star is Born and Mary Poppins Returns. MPR will do huge box office as soon as it opens and the advance word on it is very positive.

by Anonymousreply 206November 21, 2018 4:37 AM

For those who think “Mary Poppins Returns” has a chance to win Best Picture, what in recent Academy history suggests it’s the type of thing they’d like? Seriously, they chose movies like “The Shape of Water” or “Moonlight” now, and even when they gave the original “Mary Poppins” a couple Oscars, it still lost the top prize to “My Fair Lady” (and Douglas and de Havilland aside, nearly all those voters are dead. At least with “A Star is Born,” there’s enough evidence that Academy members still like showbiz stories and movies directed by actors.

For MPR to win, it has to earn over 50% on the Oscar’s preferential ballot. “First Man” and “If Beale Street Could Talk” fare better on that measure, and neither is going to win Best Picture either.

by Anonymousreply 207November 21, 2018 5:05 AM

[quote]What's up with The Wife's BO?

Oh M, Glenn took care of that problem two or three projects ago.

by Anonymousreply 208November 21, 2018 5:28 AM

Everyone went nuts about "Chicago" when it came out, r207, likewise at the end of the year, and that carried it into Oscar season and triumphing. The same thing may well happen to Poppins if it really is as good as the first screening gossip suggests (I know three different people who were at the Disney screening in LA and thought it was brilliantly done).

by Anonymousreply 209November 21, 2018 5:30 AM

Is ASIB really any better than the other 23 versions of it already produced? Ugh. No best picture for a retread.

by Anonymousreply 210November 21, 2018 5:50 AM

“Chicago” didn’t win Best Picture under the same voting system, it wasn’t a Disney sequel aimed at a family audience, and even though it had Harvey pushing it at the height of his dark powers it still nearly lost to “The Pianist.”

And first screenings always get the best reactions. Remember “The Post” last year? Based on that first screening, people were ready for it to sweep the top five, and then it settled for two pity nods it received on name alone. (When the most exciting part of your performance is wearing a caftan, it’s a pity nod, and that’s being gracious.)

by Anonymousreply 211November 21, 2018 5:53 AM

R210 And that's why Glenn can't win Best Actress. No Best Actress for a..

Oh, you wrote "retread".

I thought you wrote something else.

by Anonymousreply 212November 21, 2018 6:57 AM

Meryl wore a caftan in “The Post”? I don’t remember that, maybe I’ve blocked it out cause it was so boring.

As I recall, we only had one real “Post” booster who had seen it early, and it may have been the Poppins Loon. There was one film that everyone was sure was going to sweep. (Ladybird? The Shape of Water? I can’t remember). Anyway, he hated it, whoever he was, and tried to push the notion that The Post would sweep, When Streep got her nomination (and whatever the other one was) he still declared victory.

by Anonymousreply 213November 21, 2018 7:20 AM

Emily Blunt is now a firm contender for Best Actress.

Olivia Colman Lady Gaga Emily Blunt

are locks.

by Anonymousreply 214November 21, 2018 8:21 AM

Ugh, seriously last year the winner of BP was a movie with good BO. All 4 winners of acting awards were from movies which made nice BO too. Those were the movies people actually went to see. This year if Close wins, it will be a win in BO flop movie that people barely saw.

by Anonymousreply 215November 21, 2018 10:49 AM

My God. If Mary Poppins Returns wins Best Picture, will the Poppins Loon jump off a bridge?

by Anonymousreply 216November 21, 2018 12:44 PM

Mary Poppins is already getting raves, according to insiders.. it might be the film to beat at the Oscars over ASIB.

by Anonymousreply 217November 21, 2018 1:37 PM

I don’t think Close is even assured a nomination. Where is her constituency within the Academy? The Wife fizzled really fast. She should’ve gone for it last year when it seemed less calculated.

by Anonymousreply 218November 21, 2018 2:00 PM

[quote]This year if Close wins, it will be a win in BO flop movie that people barely saw.

That could never happen!

by Anonymousreply 219November 21, 2018 3:56 PM

Still Alice was so forgettable. Talk about a movie you’ll literally never watch again.

I would have voted for Marion Cotillard that year for Two Days, One Night.

by Anonymousreply 220November 21, 2018 4:04 PM

Still Alice wasn't a flop, it was successful, it's budget was $4 million and it made $43.9 million.

by Anonymousreply 221November 21, 2018 4:34 PM

It wasn’t a flop; it was boring as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 222November 21, 2018 5:05 PM

Mary Queen of Scots reviews stoke Oscar fire for 'savagely strong' Saoirse Ronan

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223November 21, 2018 6:18 PM

R220 Still Alice was so forgettable. Talk about a movie you’ll literally never watch again.

R220 I would have voted for Marion Cotillard that year for Two Days, One Night.

I would have voted for Witherspoon even though she's a former winner

by Anonymousreply 224November 21, 2018 6:19 PM

What if Close is not even nominated? And they nominate Ronan instead?

by Anonymousreply 225November 21, 2018 6:37 PM

Reese Witherspoon was very good in Wild. I thought her acting was better there than when she won for Walk the Line.

by Anonymousreply 226November 21, 2018 6:41 PM

This thread is making my fibromyalgia flare up!

I mean, my PTSD! Oops.

Please pray for me. I just hope I make it until February.

by Anonymousreply 227November 21, 2018 6:45 PM

Transamerica and Huffman's acting has aged so badly

by Anonymousreply 228November 21, 2018 6:45 PM

Sam Rockwell as GWB in Vice can get it.

by Anonymousreply 229November 21, 2018 7:05 PM

Sam Rockwell #puke

by Anonymousreply 230November 21, 2018 7:06 PM

Sam Rockwell as Sam Rockwell as GWB

by Anonymousreply 231November 21, 2018 7:07 PM

Is VICE a play on 'vice' which means 'depraved' and refers to the vice presidency?

by Anonymousreply 232November 21, 2018 7:12 PM

I think it’ll be a tie between McCarthy and Ronan as to who gets on the ballot. Ronan has a better body of work which could help her

by Anonymousreply 233November 21, 2018 7:20 PM

OTOH Ronan is young, has her whole career ahead, and her hot streak has to cool sometime

by Anonymousreply 234November 21, 2018 7:52 PM

Did anyone watch A Star is Born and think Bradley Cooper's character was actually right?

by Anonymousreply 235November 21, 2018 8:30 PM

Scientologist (and liar) at R81.

by Anonymousreply 236November 21, 2018 8:41 PM

Kidman is known for being Tammy's ex lesbian beard and working on multiple Weinstein films

She's a vastly overrated as an actress there are hundreds of actresses who are better than Kidman

by Anonymousreply 237November 21, 2018 8:44 PM

First Reformed is brilliant. It's a complete masterpiece.

by Anonymousreply 238November 21, 2018 8:46 PM

I'm amazed you stayed awake, R238

by Anonymousreply 239November 21, 2018 8:48 PM

Stewart was better than Moore in Still Alice

by Anonymousreply 240November 21, 2018 9:19 PM

True, R240.

by Anonymousreply 241November 21, 2018 10:10 PM

I think Moore was great in "Still Alice" but her performance in "Maps To the Stars" that same year was even better.

Same thing for Cotillard. The Immigrant > 2 Days, One Night

by Anonymousreply 242November 22, 2018 5:26 AM

God, the only thing worse than Still Alice that year was Maps to the Stars.

by Anonymousreply 243November 22, 2018 5:35 AM

Moore wasn’t a bad winner, even though I doubt anyone thinks she was better in “Still Alice” than “Boogie Nights” or “Far From Heaven.” I would have voted for Rosamund Pike over her, but it’s not like Moore won a career award for a performance like “Cocoon” or “Scent of a Woman.”

And to say Stewart was better than Moore is crazy. She botched the “Angels in America” monologue, and in her other scenes she was passable, at best. Stewart didn’t suddenly become a good actress just because she stopped doing vampire romances, even if she was never as bad as the material. She’s still the female Keanu, blanks that auteurs like because they’re canvasses on which directors can project whatever they like.

by Anonymousreply 244November 22, 2018 5:54 AM

[quote] Scientologist (and liar) at [R81].

Scientologist? No. (And Tom Cruise is a worse actor than Kidman, if that's even possible). A liar? Certainly, on many occasions, but what made you, R236, say it, based on what I said? I didn't state anything factual, only my opinion, and opinions, regardless of what people like Trump try to tell you, are not true or false. Facts are.

And I love you too.

by Anonymousreply 245November 22, 2018 7:31 AM

I can’t believe you bitches are still going on about Still Alice. Let it go already.

by Anonymousreply 246November 22, 2018 8:04 AM

R244 Stewart didn’t suddenly become a good actress just because she stopped doing vampire romances

She's been always good even before the Twilight films people trash her for her performance in Twilight but anyone who has read the books know that she played Bella as she was exactly described in the books

[quote]She botched the “Angels in America” monologue

that's not true it was the best thing about that film

by Anonymousreply 247November 22, 2018 9:14 AM

I normally can’t stand Stewart but have to admit her performance was very effective in Still Alice

by Anonymousreply 248November 22, 2018 12:01 PM

I got a feeling Close won't win it.

by Anonymousreply 249November 22, 2018 4:02 PM

Kristen Stewart was actively bad in The Runaways. Her Joan Jett was not believable at all.

by Anonymousreply 250November 22, 2018 4:16 PM

OK, I finally saw "The Wife" - worst film of this or any other year

by Anonymousreply 251November 22, 2018 7:12 PM

Not true. I can name several worse... just off the top of my head: MAXIE, HOOK, THE STEPFORD WIVES remake. They do all seem to have something in common, though.

by Anonymousreply 252November 22, 2018 7:18 PM

R250 She was great in The Runaways

by Anonymousreply 253November 22, 2018 7:19 PM

I also thought both Stewart and Dakota Fanning were good in The Runaways, but Michael Shannon was great

by Anonymousreply 254November 22, 2018 8:09 PM

Michael Shannon is always great but sometimes overacting in some roles

by Anonymousreply 255November 22, 2018 8:14 PM

You forgot House of Spirits, Meryl, where even I acted circles around you and your man friend.

by Anonymousreply 256November 22, 2018 9:47 PM

Michael Shannon was so great in The Shape of Water why wasn't he nominated for his performance?

by Anonymousreply 257November 22, 2018 11:46 PM

I’m still kind of confused as to why The Florida Project was snubbed after rewatching it the other day. Had it come out about 12 years ago it would have been heavily represented at the Oscars

by Anonymousreply 258November 22, 2018 11:57 PM

The Florida Project was a snooze. Good riddance.

by Anonymousreply 259November 22, 2018 11:59 PM

[quote]I got a feeling Close won't win it.

I've got that same feeling, r249!

by Anonymousreply 260November 22, 2018 11:59 PM

I loved Florida Project and Willem Dafoe was better than Rockwell who wasn't even supporting in Three Billboards

by Anonymousreply 261November 23, 2018 12:04 AM

I thought the little girl who played Mooney could have been nominated too, she was really good. They’ve nominated child actors who gave sub par performances so I was shocked she wasn’t a nominee

by Anonymousreply 262November 23, 2018 12:16 AM

Who has seen Willem Dafoe's movie?

by Anonymousreply 263November 23, 2018 12:26 AM

Watching the "Mary Poppins" special on ABC. Looks beautifully done. Think it will be a huge hit and could easily see it getting a lot of nominations come awards season.

by Anonymousreply 264November 23, 2018 12:35 AM

If both ASIB and Mary Poppins get nominated for anything, all we're going to see for the rest of our lives is remakes. It was already bad enough but if they start awarding that shit, originality is dead.

by Anonymousreply 265November 23, 2018 1:53 AM

Mary Poppins Returns is not a remake though.

by Anonymousreply 266November 23, 2018 2:33 AM

The thug mom I'm The Florida Project was wretched and amateur. She took me out of the movie constantly.

by Anonymousreply 267November 23, 2018 2:34 AM

R267 I don’t know, I liked that the actors looked like real people. She looked and talked like someone you’d assume be in that situation. Jennifer Lawrence is the only current actress I think could have done a good job and not make it seem like a caricature, if she mixed the trailer parkness between her character in Winter’s Bone and that batshitness of her character in American Hustle. Brittany Murphy would have nailed that role had it been shot years ago.

by Anonymousreply 268November 23, 2018 3:37 AM

R268 Never thought about that, but good point about Murphy.

Man, I miss her.

by Anonymousreply 269November 23, 2018 4:27 AM

[quote] so I was shocked she wasn’t a nominee

She didn't suck the right dicks.

by Anonymousreply 270November 23, 2018 8:04 AM

They found that "Florida Project" mom on Instagram so there is that. Wonder if she'll work again.

The kid in "Extremely Loud..." ruined it for me and he was found on "Jeopardy". Sometimes a little training goes a long way.

by Anonymousreply 271November 23, 2018 2:49 PM

This years Variety’s Actors and Actor’s matchups for those interested:

Lady Gaga and Lin Manuel Miranda

Mahershala Ali and John David Washington

Emily Blunt and Hugh Jackman

Emma Stone and Timothee Chalamet

Melissa McCarthy and Lupita Nyong’o

Nicole Kidman and Amy Adams

Charlize Theron and Michael B Jordan

Armie Hammer and Dakota Johnson

Glenn Close and Sam Elliott

Viggo Mortensen and Chadwick Boseman

Regina King and Maggie Gyllenhaal

John Krasinski and Rosamund Pike

Felicity Jones and Constance Wu

by Anonymousreply 272November 23, 2018 4:11 PM

Constance Fucking Wu... vomit.

Wonder if she'll go after any Best Actor nominees this year. Somehow she missed Oldman last round.

by Anonymousreply 273November 23, 2018 5:44 PM

R273 I hope she doesn’t go Jada Pinkett Smith if CRA is snubbed of major acting awards

I would have loved to see Michelle Yeoh instead... what a career!

by Anonymousreply 274November 23, 2018 5:59 PM

Kidman v Adams should be interesting. The rest of the matchups....meh.

by Anonymousreply 275November 23, 2018 6:55 PM

R275 Kidman v Adams should be interesting.

What's interesting about these two bores?

by Anonymousreply 276November 23, 2018 7:13 PM

I laughed at Viggo and Chadwick... er, not the best timing.

Gaga and LMM will either be really great or insufferable

by Anonymousreply 277November 23, 2018 7:16 PM

I don’t understand what these match-ups are. Can someone explain?

by Anonymousreply 278November 23, 2018 7:52 PM

R278 Variety magazine has the paired actors interview each other and talk about their experiences, motivations, etc ahead of award season. Usually they are people you wouldn’t expect to be paired together and/or people who haven’t worked together

Here’s an example

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279November 23, 2018 7:59 PM

Another example

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280November 23, 2018 8:00 PM

Thanks, R379/R280.

by Anonymousreply 281November 23, 2018 8:08 PM

When I saw "The Wife" recently, all I could think of is that Glenn is starting to look an awful lot like Doris Packer.

by Anonymousreply 282November 23, 2018 8:09 PM

R273, why would she go after any Best Actor nominee?

by Anonymousreply 283November 23, 2018 8:19 PM

R283 I believe R273 is talking about how Constance Wu spoke up loudly about how upset she was that Casey Affleck received no award backlash after he was accused of sexual assault

by Anonymousreply 284November 23, 2018 8:21 PM

R284, is anyone of the potential nominees accused of sexual assault like Affleck?

by Anonymousreply 285November 23, 2018 8:46 PM

R285 No, not that I recall. Viggo Mortensen said the N word at a press event for The Green Book which could hurt him, though. I suspect if he gets a nom and one of the BP actors doesn’t, they’ll be some inevitable backlash

by Anonymousreply 286November 23, 2018 8:50 PM

R286, then Constance Wu won't go after them.

by Anonymousreply 287November 23, 2018 10:26 PM

Viggo won’t be getting a nom. Green Book is a flop.

by Anonymousreply 288November 23, 2018 11:40 PM

I've said this a lot up thread but practically every Oscar movie is flopping. Box office success does play a part in Oscar noms but I don't see it being a big factor at all this year. Only ASIB has done well so I still see Mortenson getting that nom. I doubt that whole N word controversy hurt him that badly.

by Anonymousreply 289November 23, 2018 11:44 PM

And the surprise box office success puts Rami from a Maybe to a Definite. He went from another "James Brown biopic/good job but no cigar" performance to "Buddy Holly Story" fast.

by Anonymousreply 290November 24, 2018 2:17 AM

If Green Book is flopping what will that do the Marashala's chances? Most of the experts at Gold Derby have him still as first choice for Supporting Actor. Would they give to him again, just two years after winning the same award? (Yeah, Christoph Walz I know.....).

by Anonymousreply 291November 24, 2018 3:15 AM

R291 DJANGO UNCHAINED was a hit, so that helped Waltz's chances the second time.

by Anonymousreply 292November 24, 2018 3:18 AM

Does anyone think Viola Davis could contend for Best Actress?

by Anonymousreply 293November 24, 2018 4:00 AM

Rami will get a GG nom (musical/comedy - though aren't they trying to position BR for, erm, drama? That could leave him out in the cold). But if he doesn't get a SAG nom, he's toast. With that terrible script, he was basically just doing karaoke. Also, it was Queen that was the box office draw, not Rami Malek.

by Anonymousreply 294November 24, 2018 11:15 AM

R294 no one is saying that Rami was the draw, but a massive box office hit almost always helps someone on the fringes get the 5th slot. Do you think Hugh Jackman would've gotten an Oscar nod for LES MISERABLES if that movie had tanked?

by Anonymousreply 295November 24, 2018 1:45 PM

I don’t think Ali’s getting a nomination for Green Book because the “magic negro” backlash against the film will be an obstacle.

by Anonymousreply 296November 24, 2018 3:12 PM

I never saw Les Miserables but I assume the role of Jean Valjean was more demanding dramatically than prancing about lip-synching to Queen songs. I mean, Rami didn't even play a death scene. Let's not confuse the real person with the 2D character he was reduced to in the film.

by Anonymousreply 297November 24, 2018 3:32 PM

Jackman sang horribly in LES MIZ and would definitley not have gotten a nomination if the film hadn't been a success. Only Anne Hathaway seemed a sure thing.

by Anonymousreply 298November 24, 2018 4:57 PM

Anne Hathaway was a sure thing because they wanted to bestow the curse of BSA on her so she’d go away for good. It worked and she did.

by Anonymousreply 299November 24, 2018 6:37 PM

Speaking of Anne Hathaway... can anyone name sone Oscar speeches that were just as annoying as hers?

by Anonymousreply 300November 24, 2018 6:49 PM

R300, Gwyneth Paltrow.

by Anonymousreply 301November 24, 2018 7:53 PM

Paltrow's speech was the fucking worst. Her crying and emotions seemed fake and forced.

by Anonymousreply 302November 24, 2018 7:59 PM

As Fernanda Montenegro put it on Brazilian TV a week after the awards: “I lost the Oscar to a little girl crying over her dead grandfather.”

by Anonymousreply 303November 24, 2018 8:02 PM

Paltrow managed to be cringeworthy and pompous at the same time. Her best work to date.

by Anonymousreply 304November 24, 2018 8:06 PM

R299 Yes, she really went away.

That's why she was just the MVP in a hit summer movie.

by Anonymousreply 305November 24, 2018 8:10 PM

R273 That's because she was told by ABC and her reps to keep her mouth shut after she went after Casey. Though unlike Armie Hammer, she didn't have to apologize.

Jada can get away with it because she has her husband's money.

by Anonymousreply 306November 24, 2018 8:17 PM

The triple team of inclusion, the success of the film and her being on an ABC sitcom almost guarantees the Wu knat will be asked to present. I doesn't seem like one to pass.

by Anonymousreply 307November 24, 2018 8:22 PM

R307 Yup, she'll definitely be a presenter. Though it seems like the success of CRA has benefited Henry Golding far more. He's being cast in a lot of upcoming projects, whereas the one thing Constance was in negotiations for fell through. (It was some Jennifer Lopez movie.)

by Anonymousreply 308November 24, 2018 8:25 PM

I think Gemma Chan will also benefit. She’s gorgeous.

Also, remember when Chris Rock called out JPS at the Oscars after she boycotted?

"Jada said she's not coming. I was like, 'Isn't she on a TV show?' Jada's gonna boycott the Oscars? Jada boycotting the Oscars is like me boycotting Rihanna's panties. I wasn't invited! You get mad. It’s not fair that Will was this good and didn’t get nominated. It’s also not fair that Will was paid $20 million for ‘Wild Wild West.”

And the audience lost it. She played it off like she didn’t care in the press, but I bet she was livid watching at home

by Anonymousreply 309November 24, 2018 8:29 PM

Bad bad form for an actor to attack another and try to steer folks away from voting from him when he's nominated -- especially since she wasn't involved (and the allegations were long before settled anyway). Tacky shit. I swore then I'd never watch her in another project again so no CRA for me, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 310November 24, 2018 8:31 PM

R310. A lot of them were just pointing out the blatant hypocrisy. The Academy is a joke when it comes to dealing with controversial shit. It's like they pick and choose what they are going to let slide or not and that is very annoying. I don't blame them for speaking out but why they do I don't know since everyone and their mom knows the Academy plays these kind of games. But I guess if you don't speak nothing changes.

by Anonymousreply 311November 24, 2018 8:39 PM

Wu seems the type to overdress for the Golden Globes with a measly Comedy nomination she could never win.

by Anonymousreply 312November 24, 2018 8:43 PM

James Franco didn’t get an Oscar nom despite winning Best Actor at the GG because of misconduct allegations. Had Casey been nominated last year, the same thing would have happened to him. But then again, Kobe Bryant won an Oscar last year.

I think most people agreed with Wu, but I’m sure she probably pissed off some Affleck friends in the industry by calling them out, like Matt Damon. They probably still think of her as a TV girl and nothing more.

by Anonymousreply 313November 24, 2018 8:53 PM

Which she is, basically. She just happened to be the lead of one particularly hot film. The perception of her as a TV actress will most likely persist.

by Anonymousreply 314November 24, 2018 8:55 PM

[quote]But then again, Kobe Bryant won an Oscar last year.

Kobe's reckoning came after his win. The Academy didn't invite him to join the Academy despite Oscar winners automatically gain an invitation and an Animation Festival dropped him as a juror after his Oscar win.

by Anonymousreply 315November 24, 2018 9:01 PM

She doesn’t have anything coming up other than a voiceover role and presumably the sequel to the first movie, but that could very well change. She’s 36 which means she’s competing with the Emily Blunt’s and Kerry Washington’s of the world

by Anonymousreply 316November 24, 2018 9:03 PM

Gemma Chan is in Mary, Queen of Scots and Captain Marvel

by Anonymousreply 317November 24, 2018 9:09 PM

[quote]Anne Hathaway was a sure thing because they wanted to bestow the curse of BSA on her so she’d go away for good. It worked and she did.

That's just DL lore and speculation. Hathaway didn't become insufferable to most until the Oscar season officially began in January 2013, when she started winning Critics Choice, GG, SAG, and BAFTA in quick succession. She was already declared the frontrunner while the movie was being made in early 2012, because her character checked off all the Academy requirements: 1) long-suffering single mother, 2) a woman done bad by a man, 3) prostitute, 4) sacrifice & selfless death. Then it solidified her status when a teaser was released in the summer featuring mainly her singing bits of "I Dream a Dream" and getting her long hair chopped. But her insufferable acceptance speeches really turned off a lot of people.

by Anonymousreply 318November 24, 2018 9:33 PM

And, to top it off, Wu isn't even very good on TV. As limited as one can get. Annoying + Untalented = a very short ride, I hope.

by Anonymousreply 319November 24, 2018 10:31 PM

Do people hate Wu here because she went after Affleck?

by Anonymousreply 320November 24, 2018 10:46 PM

R320. I doubt it. No one cares about Casey Affleck, especially on DL where no one is really liked anyway. Except the Golden Girls.

by Anonymousreply 321November 24, 2018 10:51 PM

I don’t think anyone here hates her. I agreed with her criticisms about Casey. I just personally don’t think CRA is Oscar worthy.

by Anonymousreply 322November 24, 2018 10:55 PM

I wonder if Affleck works again in the supporting roles in the movies no one will watch or he will be just fine with his career.

by Anonymousreply 323November 24, 2018 11:07 PM

R323 Not in this current climate, no way. He’s got his Best Actor, I think he’ll continue to quietly live his life

by Anonymousreply 324November 24, 2018 11:10 PM

The Casey Affleck thing is so boring. There were no criminal charges ever brought. It was settled out of court which means the two parties were able to reach an agreement and settle their differences. I mean, honestly, “Woman Sleeps In Actor’s Bed, Shocked To Be Hit On” isn’t exactly an earth shattering headline.

by Anonymousreply 325November 24, 2018 11:11 PM

Actually, I take that back. He is starring in a movie he wrote costarring... Elizabeth Moss.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 326November 24, 2018 11:12 PM

R326, Elizabeth Moss... the Handmaiden's Tale Elizabeth Moss? Lol. I guess he is going to be just fine.

by Anonymousreply 327November 24, 2018 11:15 PM

R327 Well, this isn’t exactly a good look for Moss, considering the content of her show

by Anonymousreply 328November 24, 2018 11:17 PM

Erm, she gets raped every week on her show. She’ll be right at home on a film set with Casey Affleck.

by Anonymousreply 329November 24, 2018 11:23 PM

[quote]I just personally don’t think CRA is Oscar worthy

Well, not to be contrarian, but I just don't get the big deal about ASIB either. Yes, it was a good movie and Bradley and Gaga were both okay, but the best picture of the year? Really? I say the same about Black Panther -- good movie, enjoyable, but hardly worthy of all the Best Picture talk. Seriously, the movies that get put up on pedestals and heralded as "the best of the year" -- while others that are just as good, if not better, are completely ignored -- is just so fucking bizarre to me. And yes, I know it's all about what gets pushed by the studios, etc., but it's still just aggravating as a film fan who knows there is much better work out there that, year after year, will be passed over at awards season in favor of perfectly-adequate mediocrities starring the hot celebrity of the moment.

by Anonymousreply 330November 24, 2018 11:24 PM

It’s too bad they don’t give out Cable ACE Awards anymore. CRA would be a great contender for one of those.

by Anonymousreply 331November 24, 2018 11:27 PM

Oh, I agree about Black Panther. My personal favorite of the year is The Favourite and I doubt it’ll win.

I have no idea why they are pushing Lupita so hard for a nomination. Anyone could have played that character. MBJ was the best, but even then, I don’t know if that performance can stand up with the others in the SA category

by Anonymousreply 332November 24, 2018 11:33 PM

Michelle Yeoh is pegged to get a supporting nom for CRA this year. Not so much because of the movie but for her long and interesting career.

by Anonymousreply 333November 25, 2018 12:01 AM

[quote]I have no idea why they are pushing Lupita so hard for a nomination.

You know why. Any actor of color who is remotely passable in a box office smash is going to be pushed henceforth (see R333). Plus, Lupita is a previous/recent Oscar nominee/winner, and that can be beneficial.

by Anonymousreply 334November 25, 2018 12:03 AM

[quote] That's why she was just the MVP in a hit summer movie.

We were talking about Anne Hathaway, not Akwafina.

by Anonymousreply 335November 25, 2018 12:08 AM

R334 I guess. But I actually thought Letitia Wright was better and had the better character

by Anonymousreply 336November 25, 2018 12:16 AM

Is Lupita N really a contender? Gold Derby has her way down at number 20, way below actresses who are far more likely to get nominated, including front runner Regina King.

by Anonymousreply 337November 25, 2018 12:26 AM

R337 No, but Marvel has Lupita on the press circuit for award season along with Chadwick Boseman and Michael B Jordan.

by Anonymousreply 338November 25, 2018 12:32 AM

I’d put Lupita behind both Wright and Danai Gurira in terms of “Black Panther” Supporting actresses, although I seriously doubt any of them will get remotely close to a nomination.

Any opinions on the Director race? Will Netflix’s release strategy torpedo Cuaron? Does Chazelle still get in, even with “First Man” tanking? Is Cooper going to actually win?

by Anonymousreply 339November 25, 2018 12:54 AM

Cooper will win Best Actor, but not Best Director. I think this could be Cuaron’s win. Netflix could impact him, but I do think the general opinion of Netflix movies are changing—I mean, Scorsese has a Netflix movie coming out next year.

I think Spike Lee will be in the race too but I don’t know how well liked he is in the Academy, which is why I’m predicting Cuaron.

by Anonymousreply 340November 25, 2018 1:00 AM

For those of you following the Best Supporting Actor race, I just checked Gold Derby and a good number of people think this could be Chalamet’s year because he’ll get the popular vote, which means Ali and Grant will have some competition.

by Anonymousreply 341November 25, 2018 1:01 AM

Perhaps Chalamet will get the "we didn't give it to you last time, so we'll make up for it by giving it to you this time" award.

by Anonymousreply 342November 25, 2018 1:03 AM

Tim-o-tay is a tad bit young, is he not? Why not make him wait a bit for an Oscar? It's not like Beautiful Boy is doing boffo box office or got huge rave reviews. It's ok.

by Anonymousreply 343November 25, 2018 1:44 AM

I hope Spike Lee gets a best director nod and his film gets one for Best Picture. Also some recognition for The Death of Stalin and Rami Malik as FM.

by Anonymousreply 344November 25, 2018 1:54 AM

R343 Typically, male acting winners tend to skew older than the female categories. The youngest BSA winner ever was Timothy Hutton in 1980 at the age of 20. On the Supporting Actress side, Tatum ONeal was 10.

I too thought BB was just ok, but there have been mediocre wins before based on popularity.

by Anonymousreply 345November 25, 2018 1:58 AM

Whatever happened to the buzz Topher Grace was getting for BlacKkKlansman? The film and Lee are still getting buzz. You'd think he'd be at least in the Top Ten, especially in Supporting.

by Anonymousreply 346November 25, 2018 2:09 AM

Adam Driver has all the buzz for that movie. He got the Spirit Award nomination, the only major one “BlacKKKlansman” earned. Plus, he’s considered the serious actor who does Scorsese and Soderbergh, while Topher Grace, and I think he’s always been underrated, still feels like a sitcom star who never quite made it in movies.

by Anonymousreply 347November 25, 2018 2:30 AM

There's nothing in Black Klansman that deserves a nomination. it was perfectly serviceable and nothing more.

by Anonymousreply 348November 25, 2018 5:14 AM

Timothee might not even get nominated. His movie was such a disappointment. And if he does, he certainly won’t win.

by Anonymousreply 349November 25, 2018 5:27 AM

[quote]Also some recognition for The Death of Stalin

What would you think The Death of Stalin would get nominated for? Steve Buscemi for SA maybe? I thought it was amusing, but not really an award worthy film.

by Anonymousreply 350November 25, 2018 5:32 AM

I saw Mary Queen of Scots tonight. Saorsie is really fantastic. She's just an astonishing talent. Robbie is good too but her character just disappears for the middle half of the movie and has far less to do. Oh and somebody mentioned Gemma Chan being in it - she has a nothing role, no character. The movie is surprisingly gay though!

by Anonymousreply 351November 25, 2018 5:40 AM

R351 Great to hear! I’m a big fan of Saoirse

Gemma Chan played a white woman, interesting. I wonder what the thought process was behind that. Seems kind of random, but then again, white actors act outside their race too.

Also, Taylor Swift’s boyfriend, Joe Alwyn, has been in The Favourite, Boy Erased, and Mary, Queen of Scots this year. He could be an upcoming talent to watch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 352November 25, 2018 5:56 AM

Finally got around to watching Deadpool 2. Would the academy nominate the Celine Dion song from the movie for best song just for shits and giggles?

by Anonymousreply 353November 25, 2018 6:25 AM

R352 Also, Taylor Swift’s boyfriend, Joe Alwyn

Also, Taylor Swift’s gay merkin Joe Alwyn

Fixed it

by Anonymousreply 354November 25, 2018 9:10 AM

Death Of Stalin could get a screenplay nomination.

by Anonymousreply 355November 25, 2018 11:02 AM

How many Best Song nominations will Mary Poppins Returns get?

by Anonymousreply 356November 25, 2018 11:31 AM

[quote]Gemma Chan played a white woman, interesting. I wonder what the thought process was behind that.

Everything is being 'Hamiltonized' these days, particularly UK films/TV shows based on history. Two years ago, Sophie Okonedo was cast as Margaret of Anjou in some British miniseries. And now Chan is Bess of Hardwick. It's ridiculous, IMO. Colorblind casting doesn't always work on stage and it's easier to suspend disbelief there. It never works on film, which is more reality-based.

by Anonymousreply 357November 25, 2018 1:04 PM

R357 I was actually kind of excited only to be let down. I had no idea Queen Elizabeth was best friends with a Chinese woman, especially back in those days. And then I found out she wasn’t Chinese and it was just a miscast situation.

Renée Zellweger won an Oscar for playing a character that was originally black, which would have not happened today. But surely some people complained

by Anonymousreply 358November 25, 2018 2:27 PM

The Mary Poppins Return trailer looks amazing - until Meryl Streep’s stupid face turns up. She should really learn to say no. There is no need for her to be in that film.

by Anonymousreply 359November 25, 2018 5:16 PM

R358, Ruby - Renee’s character in Cold Mountain - was not black in the source novel Charles Frazier. I’m not sure what you’re talking about.

by Anonymousreply 360November 25, 2018 5:17 PM

OMG. The Front Runner expanded to 807 screens and only had a 3-day gross of $885k. Ouch.

by Anonymousreply 361November 25, 2018 5:21 PM

R360 Wasn’t she biracial? Maybe I’m thinking about something else.

by Anonymousreply 362November 25, 2018 5:22 PM

The following films have officially moved over into the flop category

Boy Erased

The Front Runner

Widows

And the following will be gone completely from theaters by mid-December

Can You Ever Forgive Me

Suspiria

Beautiful Boy

Wildlife

The jury is still out on Green Book. It did better than expected in its wider bump this week (based on the anemic gross from last week), but it will take a lot to turn it around.

by Anonymousreply 363November 25, 2018 7:15 PM

I know it won't happen, but it would be great if this season's crop of "Oscar hopefuls" that have largely turned out to be flops would be a wakeup call to the studios. Stop fucking saving every single "prestige" movie for a December release! Stop assuming that Academy members' memories are that short. If you want to launch an Oscar campaign for the great film that was released in July, then have at it. But it's gotten far too crowded in December for every newly released movie to get its fair share of attention, and as a result most of them are doing poorly at the box office. It would be nice to have adult films available throughout the year.

by Anonymousreply 364November 25, 2018 7:37 PM

Is Can You Ever Forgive Me? really a flop though? Melissa McCarthy and Richard E. Grant are on almost everyone’s predictions list for nominations in their respective categories.

I saw Widows last night. Viola does her typical noble shtick but I didn’t find her remotely worthy of a nomination. Elizabeth Debicki turns in the best performance in the film. I can’t believe some people were pushing Daniel Kaluuya for a nod. A totally 2-D character. Competently after bit nowhere approaching the need to be singled out for awards consideration.

I didn’t see the twist or the ending. And what happened to Jacki Weaver’s character? She literally just disappears from the film.

by Anonymousreply 365November 25, 2018 7:47 PM

[quote] Is Can You Ever Forgive Me? really a flop though? Melissa McCarthy and Richard E. Grant are on almost everyone’s predictions list for nominations in their respective categories.

What does that have to do with being a flop? No one is going to see it.

by Anonymousreply 366November 25, 2018 7:49 PM

CYEFM? looks to be The Sessions all over again. Same studio, similar release date, does less than expected at the box-office and only gets a Supporting nomination because the Lead category is too competitive. But I guess we'll have to wait to see if the last part happens.

R365 I'd imagine Searchlight probably expected $15-20m, if not slightly more. But as pointed out above, ALL of the specialty releases this season have under-performed. The only true success has been Free Solo.

My local art house has four screens and has actually been playing Bohemian Rhapsody because they can't keep any of the current indies for more than one or two weeks. Hopefully, The Favourite turns things around.

by Anonymousreply 367November 25, 2018 7:56 PM

[quote]ALL of the specialty releases this season have under-performed. The only true success has been Free Solo.

What are the odds of FREE SOLO getting a documentary nod?

by Anonymousreply 368November 25, 2018 8:11 PM

I'm not sure there's so much a pile up at the box office as there is just some mediocre films. Widows especially is a missed opportunity.

THR is describing Green Book as struggling and a disappointment. Only $5.4M on Thanksgiving weekend on just over 1,000 screens...that's not great.

But films like Beautiful Boy, Can You Ever Forgive Me, even Suspiria - are these films really flops? What kind of business were they expected to do anyway? (Sidenote: re-watched the original Suspiria last night for the first time in about 30 years - why does everyone have so much reverence for that? Total nonsense. The new version is completely worthy and a total artistic success.) There aren't really big, commercial films. Wildlife was lucky to get any distribution and by that measure is something of a success - it's a small, independent arthouse film. You can't compare apples and oranges.

Finally saw BR today. Freddy Mercury's story and the music of Queen are undeniably powerful but it was way too "VH1 Behind The Music" for me. As BR was at a 10AM screening, I watched A Star Is Born again afterwards. I don't think BR fares very well by comparison. The concert footage in ASIB is amazing and it's fictional depiction of rock and pop stars is so authentic, it just crackles with live energy. Even before I watched ASIB again, BR looked like a video game by comparison. Rami is very Freddy Mercury-lite; he settles into an engaging tone and delivers a graceful, consistent performance - he doesn't embarrass himself but maybe he should've tried to! It isn't what I would call risk taking, at all. The script completely neuters the character; the person we see on screen bears no resemblance to the real Freddie Mercury. He's not an outsider at all, just some non-threatening mini-me version with straight teeth and smooth skin. Rami could end up with a nomination but has zero chance of actually winning. He could also be snubbed in favour of more worthy candidates. It's going to Bradley Cooper anyway.

ASIB still looks to be the biggest contender with Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor, 2x Best Song, Best Cinematography, Best Sound/Editing - all locks. I was thinking today that Andrew Dice Clay might even pull a nomination, a la Joan Cusack in Working Girl. ASIB only gets better with repeated viewings, it really stands up. And BR pales in comparison. Cooper and Gaga stand to go home with multiple Oscars on the night.

by Anonymousreply 369November 25, 2018 8:20 PM

I’m on my way to the hospital right now, but just wanted to remind you all to please pray for me. If I make it to February 22 it will be because of all of you.

by Anonymousreply 370November 25, 2018 9:02 PM

R369 BB and Suspiria are definite flops. Both their budgets were around 20 to 25 mill each. You don't spend that kind of money without the intention of recouping that amount. To be fair, those types of films realistically wouldn't be expected to make a lot of money, but that's why you keep the budget in line for said type of films. Since they didn't, you have to classify them as flops. They are both going to lose a LOT of money for Amazon. I'm not so sure about CYEFM cause I can't find anything about its budget It's surprising that eveyr Oscar bait pick failed this year except ASIB and The Hate U Give.. It remains to be seen how The Favourite and OTBOS fair..

by Anonymousreply 371November 25, 2018 9:56 PM

Isn't MARY QUEEN OF SCOTS Oscar bait?

by Anonymousreply 372November 25, 2018 10:01 PM

It feels like it should be but period pieces aren't really near the top of the genre films that I consider Oscar bait. I always feel like those are a somewhat tougher sell,

by Anonymousreply 373November 25, 2018 10:07 PM

It's not just a period film; it's a biopic and those are always considered Oscar bait.

by Anonymousreply 374November 25, 2018 10:10 PM

What was the reception like for "The Hate U Give"? Is it really being touted as an Oscar favorite? Has anyone here seen it?

by Anonymousreply 375November 25, 2018 10:54 PM

[quote]Seems kind of random, but then again, white actors act outside their race too.

Not recently. No way. It's stupid to hire people of the wrong race to play historical figures. Even when they aren't playing real people, it's stupid to pretend that places like colonial America had tons of free blacks and latinos running around in the upper echelons of society. Why not tell the real stories instead so maybe some Americans might learn some actual history.

And, these movies aren't all flops. There is a difference between a flop and small movie.

by Anonymousreply 376November 25, 2018 11:03 PM

R375 It’s not going to get acting nods, but it could for best adapted screenplay

by Anonymousreply 377November 25, 2018 11:19 PM

Probably the most recent example one could cite of a white actor playing a person of color was last year when Joseph Fiennes played Michael Jackson, though I don't recall if it was particularly well-received or not.

by Anonymousreply 378November 25, 2018 11:31 PM

Are you kidding r378 not well-received? They cancelled the project after the uproar re his casting.

by Anonymousreply 379November 25, 2018 11:46 PM

And, you really can't look more white than Michael Jackson. It would almost have seemed weird for a black person who looked black to play him at any point in the last 25 years of his life.

by Anonymousreply 380November 25, 2018 11:50 PM

Scarlett Johansson also caused controversy by playing a Japanese cyborg. And then she got cast as a transgender character and people lost their shit. It’s become a meme now that Scarlett will only take roles played by people of color

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 381November 26, 2018 12:10 AM

Let’s not forget Emma Stone as a mixed race Hawaiian.

by Anonymousreply 382November 26, 2018 12:43 AM

Stone was supposed to be a Eurasian, who can look Caucasian or Asian or a mix. So I don't see the problem there. If a full Asian were playing the part, no one would say anything. (The same goes for The Engineer in MISS SAIGON, who is also Eurasian.)

by Anonymousreply 383November 26, 2018 12:49 AM

I liked Clay, but I don’t think he has a shot at a nomination. Honestly, Sam Elliott’s role isn’t very big as it is, and I doubt any movie could get two smaller performances in the same category anymore.

I’m sure “A Star is Born” will do well overall, but I’m not sure it’s a lock for Cinematography. But it should also get Screenplay, despite being a musical with so many writers, since that category looks incredibly weak. Gold Derby has “BlacKKKlansman” in the lead for that category, and that just doesn’t seem to make much sense. (Barry Jenkins, despite winning the category two years ago, seems far more likely).

by Anonymousreply 384November 26, 2018 1:30 AM

If "Mary Poppins Returns," which looks great in previews, delivers on its promise, I think it will present the biggest challenges to ASIB come awards season, particularly in the technical categories. I'm not even sure the Academy could resist the opportunity to reward Blunt given (a) she's well-regarded in Hollywood and (b) the urge to make her an Oscar winner for the same role Julie Andrews won for many years prior might prove impossible to resist.

I can't imagine Cooper won't win Director, however, given how much the Academy loves to reward actors who get behind the camera and actually manage to make a good film (Redford, Eastwood, Costner, and Gibson being previous examples). It would also be the perfect way to recognize his work and give the Best Actor award to someone else.

by Anonymousreply 385November 26, 2018 1:47 AM

BCoop is a long shot for Director because it's his first effort, ever. They're not going to give him the statue over people like Cuaron, Garry Marshall and Spike Lee, for his first directorial work -ever-, I don't care if he did another Citizen Kane. That's why I feel he has Best Actor in the bag.

Now if Vice does very good box office and Bale's performance is as mind-blowing as initial reports state, it could come down to the wire. If they deny Cooper Director -and- Actor, look for ASIB to probably get Best Picture and Sam Elliot to be greatly strengthened in Supporting. It could help Gaga's cause.

The current trend is to spread the awards out among the leaderboard, as much as possible. If ASIB stays frontrunner for Best Pic, that strengthens Blunt for Actress - the traditional Academy likes Gaga but I guarantee are loathe to award her for one of her first lead performances, and over Glenn. Blunt would be their out, and a perfect and a way to award MPR.

by Anonymousreply 386November 26, 2018 1:56 AM

Spike Lee is not winning anything. They already gave him an honorary award that was undeserved.

by Anonymousreply 387November 26, 2018 2:02 AM

[quote]Now if Vice does very good box office and Bale's performance is as mind-blowing as initial reports state, it could come down to the wire.

True, but this situation could also potentially open the door for a huge upset -- i.e., a third option sneaking in should Cooper and Bale cancel each other out. The question is, who would that third person be??

by Anonymousreply 388November 26, 2018 2:05 AM

Gosling or maybe Redford, r388. Maybe Viggo, if Green Book can make some money and the furor over his n-word statement dies down (which it should, by January).

I could see Gosling sneaking in there.

by Anonymousreply 389November 26, 2018 2:11 AM

If Bale delivers, I could see the Academy wanting to take this opportunity to make him a two-time winner, especially since his first one was for supporting. But as others have pointed out, I think what could hurt him potentially -- aside from Cooper being his spoiler -- is the fact Gary Oldman won for a similar performance just last year. For some voters, it would probably seem too much like rewarding the same performance two years in a row.

Call me crazy but I think Sam Elliot is a lock. Who could resist this last opportunity to reward one of our greatest actors and playwrights in his final performance?

by Anonymousreply 390November 26, 2018 2:17 AM

There is nothing remotely award worthy about Sam Elliot as much as I like him. The role is not very significant and poorly poorly written with the most cliche of lines to speak. I was excited he was a contender until I actually saw the film.

by Anonymousreply 391November 26, 2018 2:22 AM

are you confusing Sam Elliot with the late Sam Shepard? I don't believe Elliot is known as a playwright. He is however a very worthy acting candidate, and I'd love to see him win.

What you said at r389 re Oldman last year is true and does dim Bale's chances a bit. Also Bale is only 44 years old, relatively young to get a 2nd Oscar. He's got decades of great performances ahead of him; he seems to moving into a peak De Niro phase now, all the method work is coalescing into a great overall acting style that he'll carry forward. I could see him with three or four Oscars actually, by the end.

by Anonymousreply 392November 26, 2018 2:25 AM

r389 should be r390 in post above.

by Anonymousreply 393November 26, 2018 2:26 AM

[quote]Bale's performance is as mind-blowing as initial reports

I’ve only read one review of Vice - it was either in Variety or The Reporter - Hit it was very meh, for both the film and Bale.

by Anonymousreply 394November 26, 2018 2:31 AM

Oh, you're right, R392 -- I'm confusing Sam Elliot with Sam Shepard. My bad. Thanks for catching that.

by Anonymousreply 395November 26, 2018 2:33 AM

[quote]If they deny Cooper Director -and- Actor, look for ASIB to probably get Best Picture and Sam Elliot to be greatly strengthened in Supporting. It could help Gaga's cause.

Assuming you mean the actual prize and not just the nomination (since there is no way Cooper will be denied at least the nominations in both categories), what you said makes no sense. No one will know which movies are denied or otherwise when they vote. If Cooper were to lose in both categories, it wouldn't have any affect on how anyone voted for the other awards at the same time. No one else will benefit from it.

by Anonymousreply 396November 26, 2018 2:37 AM

I meant actual prize upthread, not noms.

The ongoing trend at Ampas is to spread the awards around to the frontrunners, as much as possible. That's gone on a while now, the days of a big major film sweeping a majority of awards or even a majority of its noms was a while ago (not saying it won't return in the future). Ampas members DO talk amongst themselves quite a bit during voting season, and believe it or not there is always rumor of 'horse-trading' that goes on in terms of the voting. The big name Hwood players work the phones quite a bit for their fave during the season, you'd be surprised.

That doesn't guarantee there are no surprises or upsets sure. But the surprise aspect left the Oscars a while ago; many of the winners are assumed by the time Feb/March roll around, and 9 times out of 10 its the assumed nominee.

by Anonymousreply 397November 26, 2018 2:43 AM

The problem for Bale is going to be getting voters to actually watch his film. You can’t discount the complete lack of interest in The Front Runner and pretend that somehow Dick Cheney - yeah, Dick Cheney - is some marquee headliner. Not in this political climate. And a film that claims liberals somehow bear responsibility for the fucked up war in Iraq? Not as I remember it. Bale may get his nod but it doesn’t mean voters will watch the actual movie.

ASIB will sweep. It’s done great box office without ever being the No. 1 film - because of word of mouth and repeat viewings. People have actually engaged with the film. Worldwide box office just reached $350M - just over 10x its actual cost. Within the next 5 months, it will cross at least $500M worldwide - it still has a lot to gain from nominations and awards.

by Anonymousreply 398November 26, 2018 3:51 AM

[quote]BCoop is a long shot for Director because it's his first effort, ever. They're not going to give him the statue over people like Cuaron, Garry Marshall and Spike Lee, for his first directorial work -ever-, I don't care if he did another Citizen Kane. That's why I feel he has Best Actor in the bag.

Mel Gibson (BRAVEHEART) and Kevin Costner (DANCES WITH WOLVES) both won Best Director for their very first films. Like Cooper, they not only directed themselves but also co-produced their films. Gibson didn't get a Best Actor nod, but Costner did and he lost. In the end, both Gibson and Costner won two Academy Awards apiece for producing and directing their respective first movies.

by Anonymousreply 399November 26, 2018 3:54 AM

If the Academy didn't want to give Sam Elliott a nod for The Hero last year in a very weak Best Actor lineup, they aren't going to give him an actual award for doing nothing in ASIB.

by Anonymousreply 400November 26, 2018 4:05 AM

Exactly the opposite, R400. The Academy would’ve happily given Sam Elliott a nomination, if only The Hero had performed. Now he’s part of an awards season juggernaut, he’ll get the nomination. All of his scenes in ASIB are very powerful. And with Green Book flailing there’s room for Dice Clay.

by Anonymousreply 401November 26, 2018 4:14 AM

Viggo must feel like an idiot since you know all involved are blaming him for Green Book’s demise.

by Anonymousreply 402November 26, 2018 4:15 AM

R402 talk about faux outrage! But I doubt anyone involved with the film blames him for it flopping. It was going to be a hard movie to sell, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 403November 26, 2018 4:18 AM

R401 his scenes are laughable with the most stilted dialogue. It's beyond forced that I think you have stars in your eyes about this movie. He may get nominated because he's well liked and others have gotten in for worse. But he's not even the best supporting actor in that movie. I also found it odd they waited several scenes into the character to tell us it was his brother. Like it was some great plot secret or something which it wasn't. I thought he was poorly written as well.

by Anonymousreply 404November 26, 2018 4:20 AM

[quote] All of his scenes in ASIB are very powerful. And with Green Book flailing there’s room for Dice Clay.

No they weren't. They could have been played by anyone. And Dice was ridiculously nothing.

Go predict the MTV Video Awards. This is clearly too much for you.

by Anonymousreply 405November 26, 2018 4:26 AM

[quote]ASIB will sweep. It’s done great box office without ever being the No. 1 film - because of word of mouth and repeat viewings. People have actually engaged with the film. Worldwide box office just reached $350M - just over 10x its actual cost. Within the next 5 months, it will cross at least $500M worldwide - it still has a lot to gain from nominations and awards.

R398, I'm not disagreeing with you, but the criteria you lay out as the basis for ASIB sweeping the awards could just as easily be applied to Black Panther -- a film that was a megahit thanks to word of mouth and plenty of repeat business (unlike ASIB, I believe it did make it to #1), and though it didn't particularly float my boat, people appeared to really love it. Granted, it's not likely to take any acting categories like ASIB, but everything else, including Best Picture, could be up for grabs if the Academy wants to reward a crowd-pleaser (Panther, ASIB) over a more serious film (Roma, First Man, Beale Street, BlacKKKlansman). Think the year of The Lord of the Rings.

[quote]The problem for Bale is going to be getting voters to actually watch his film. You can’t discount the complete lack of interest in The Front Runner and pretend that somehow Dick Cheney - yeah, Dick Cheney - is some marquee headliner. Not in this political climate.

I totally agree with this.

by Anonymousreply 406November 26, 2018 4:35 AM

R400, “The Hero” was a mediocre movie that no almost no one saw. Elliott was the best part about it, but his performance never redeemed everything else about it. (Laura Prepon, really?)

And any discussion of Andrew Dice Clay is just crazy talk. The best recognition he can expect from the Academy is an invitation to join next June.

R406, “The Front Runner” is about a presidential candidate who flamed out in the primaries before Jennifer Lawrence, Emma Stone and Brie Larson were born, directed by a guy who left the Oscar conversation nearly a decade ago. “Vice” is about a figure of actual historical consequence whose actions have direct consequences today, directed by the guy whose last movie was a top contender for Best Picture just three years ago. There’s an obvious difference.

by Anonymousreply 407November 26, 2018 4:45 AM

Well, at least I’m going out on a limb! :) Fuck you, with your MTV Awards, mate.

There is no precedent that predicts success for Vice but plenty to suggest it’ll have a tepid b.o. performance. The Big Short wasn’t about politics.

by Anonymousreply 408November 26, 2018 7:40 AM

Why is Viggo blamed for GB flopping?

by Anonymousreply 409November 26, 2018 12:06 PM

R409 at a Q&A while promoting the film, he said "nigger" Instead of "the N-word" which pissed off a lot SJWs. Context is everything, people. It's not like Viggo used the word in anger and hatred toward people of color; he was merely describing the time and place of the film (1960s Deep South) and how freely the term was used then. But folks who think in black-and-white terms (forgive the pun) can't see the difference and were ready to crucify him.

by Anonymousreply 410November 26, 2018 3:26 PM

[quote] “The Hero” was a mediocre movie that no almost no one saw. Elliott was the best part about it, but his performance never redeemed everything else about it. (Laura Prepon, really?)

I didn't say the film was any good (I shut it off about 40 minutes or so in) but Elliott was being touted last year early on for a performance that was head and shoulders above the nothing he does in ASIB. So if the Academy was feeling sentimental, they had a great opportunity to put him in a category that was so anemic, it included Daniel Kaluuya and Denzel Washington for a movie no one saw.

by Anonymousreply 411November 26, 2018 4:20 PM

I thought Elliott was great in ASIB and his scenes (few as they were) were standouts. Who is this frothing poster saying that he does “nothing” in the film. Watch it again, hon. He does and it’s very affecting.

And this category is notorious for honoring vets.

by Anonymousreply 412November 26, 2018 5:05 PM

Who's this frothing poster insisting Elliott is doing Oscar worthy work in little more than a cameo?

Sweetheart, face it. You just have low standards.

by Anonymousreply 413November 26, 2018 5:16 PM

Remember when folks predicted Sam Elliott would be nominated for "Lifeguard"? Those were the days when hope was eternal for indies.

by Anonymousreply 414November 26, 2018 5:18 PM

I don't find anything about ASIB, including Elliott, award worthy, R413, but his turn is the epitome of a supporting performance. You seems to be so used to leading performances being fraudly defined as supporting, you can't recognize a true one.

by Anonymousreply 415November 26, 2018 5:33 PM

I saw Lifeguard at the drive in when I was like 12 years old and thought “GIVE THAT MAN AN OSCAR!” Gawd, he was so sexy.

by Anonymousreply 416November 26, 2018 6:36 PM

Gaga, Bradley and Sam will get noms.

by Anonymousreply 417November 26, 2018 6:46 PM

And ADC.

by Anonymousreply 418November 26, 2018 6:58 PM

No. No ADC.

by Anonymousreply 419November 26, 2018 7:34 PM

Maybe ADC.

by Anonymousreply 420November 26, 2018 7:52 PM

I would love it if Harry Belafonte received a nod for his cameo in BLACKKKLANSMAN. He was superb. His performance reminded me of another unforgettable cameo that should have received awards attention: Lynn Redgrave’s heartbreaking monologue in KINSEY

by Anonymousreply 421November 26, 2018 7:55 PM

R421 you're easily impressed. An Oscar for a cameo? And I thought Judi Dench winning for 8-minutes of screen time was bad enough.

by Anonymousreply 422November 26, 2018 8:01 PM

Excuse me, cunt at R422. I am not “easily impressed.” Belafonte delivered perhaps the most powerful scene in that film and there’a Nothing wrong with me citing it here.

If you knew anything about Oscar history, you’d know that cameos have been nominated for and even won Oscars in the past. Do yourself a favor and look up Beatrice Straight in NETWORK, Hermione Baddeley in ROOM AT THE TOP (a 2 minute and 33 second performance), William Hurt in A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE, Ned Beatty in NETWORK, etc.

You sound like a philistine and a consummate asshole.

by Anonymousreply 423November 26, 2018 8:23 PM

Well, R421, as long as you're going there, I would love to see a nomination for Corey Hawkins, who delivered that fiery speech in the center of the film. He was fucking phenomenal in that scene. I don't know if anyone has ever been nominated for a single speech before, but if so, Hawkins should definitely be the next one to make that distinguished list. (He also received a Tony nomination last season for his performance in the revival of "Six Degrees of Separation" on Broadway.)

by Anonymousreply 424November 26, 2018 8:24 PM

Believe me, I've seen some 2-minute performances way more deserving of a win than some full-length performances that weren't even worthy of a nomination.

by Anonymousreply 425November 26, 2018 8:28 PM

Who did Corey Hawkins play in the film?

Harry did do a lovely job in Black Klansman, and yes, if it came down to him and either of the two supporting roles in ASIB, Harry was much more impressive, but my guess is the Academy will ignore him because it feels like Harry Belafonte sitting down to tell some history, not Harry Belafonte playing an actual character.

Another actor who was nominated for a tiny, one scene performance- Geraldine Page in The Pope of Greenwich Village. I thought she should have won.

by Anonymousreply 426November 26, 2018 8:33 PM

[quote] I thought Judi Dench winning for 8-minutes of screen time was bad enough.

Bitch needed two more minutes than I did to grab that gold. Amateur.

by Anonymousreply 427November 26, 2018 8:36 PM

More:

Ethel Barrymore in THE PARADINE CASE, Sylvia Sidney in DEAD END, Jane Alexander in ALL THE PRESIDENT’S MEN, Sylvia Miles in MIDNIGHT COWBOY, Carolyn Jones in THE BACHELOR PARTY, Ruby Dee in AMERICAN GANGSTER, Basil Rathbone in ROMEO & JULIET, John Lithgow in TERMS OF ENDEARMENT, Maximillian Schell in JULIA, Charles Durning in THE BEST LITYLE WHOREHOUSE IN TEXAS, Marjorie Rambeau In TORCH SONG, Sylvia Miles in FAREWELL, MY LOVELY.

by Anonymousreply 428November 26, 2018 8:38 PM

R428 I wouldn't call those cameos, just small supporting roles. A cameo is a brief appearance by a well-known actor; usually one scene.

Vanessa Redgrave in FOXCATCHER was a cameo. She had, like, two 10-second scenes. I remember people were predicting her to get a Supporting nod, until the movie opened and it turns out she really didn't do much of anything, except appear old and haggard in a wheelchair.

by Anonymousreply 429November 26, 2018 9:31 PM

True, R429. It’s a mix of one-sceners and cameos.

by Anonymousreply 430November 26, 2018 9:36 PM

Not to be picky r399, but Gibson directed The Man Without a Face a few years before Braveheart.

Costner and Gibson both won their Oscars 25+ years ago. The Academy makeup was different as was their voting style. The chance of Cooper winning BD on his first effort is fairly slim today.

by Anonymousreply 431November 27, 2018 1:08 AM

But if not Cooper, who wins? Cuaron for a black and white foreign language Netflix film? One of those strikes might be something a movie could overcome, but not all three.

I think Cooper pretty much gets it as part of his movie’s sweep. There’s really no obvious contender to beat him, so provided he doesn’t get Afflecked out of a nomination, he’ll win.

by Anonymousreply 432November 27, 2018 1:26 AM

I doubt he'd win, I'm sort of expecting Spike Lee to get his first nomination. Probably not enough support for the film to carry him to a win, though.

by Anonymousreply 433November 27, 2018 1:29 AM

I know things will probably just fall into place in Director and we get a field like last year (four of the five everyone expected, one curveball that makes total sense in retrospect), but right now it feels like a year where the Directors Branch goes nuts and throws in a random choice like Benh Zeitlin or Bennett Miller for “Foxcatcher.”

by Anonymousreply 434November 27, 2018 1:39 AM

Again, some tony film can come out and pull a "King's Speech" over ASIB -- including the director spot that robbed Fincher in 2010. It's a guess at this point but maybe the "Lobster" guy if "The Favourite" has enough praise.

by Anonymousreply 435November 27, 2018 2:02 AM

Don't underestimate the academy's love for Mexican directors.

by Anonymousreply 436November 27, 2018 2:22 AM

Especially in this political climate.

by Anonymousreply 437November 27, 2018 2:27 AM

I don’t think the wins by Cuaron, Inarritu and Del Toro in such a short period were indicative of anything larger, especially since none of their films were particularly Mexican. It’s probably more like how every Supporting Actress had the initials MS four years in a row starting in the late seventies, just a strange coincidence.

by Anonymousreply 438November 27, 2018 2:30 AM

Toni Collette won Best Actress at the Gotham Awards tonight.

She WILL be nominated for an Oscar, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 439November 27, 2018 3:31 AM

Do not disregard the possibility of Rob Marshall getting a nomination and possible win for Best Director. Mary Poppins Returns is going to be a smash hit and will likely be well received critically as well. It will be the only movie that can realistically compete with ASIB for Best Picture. Marshall was previously nominated for Chicago, a movie that won Best Picture but lost Best Director (to Roman Polanski for The Pianist), so this could be his redemption year for directing another hit musical.

by Anonymousreply 440November 27, 2018 5:34 AM

Mary Poppins isn't getting anything except some music-based nominations. It's even going to lose the Golden Globe for Best Comedy/Musical to ASIB. And neither will win Best Picture.

by Anonymousreply 441November 27, 2018 5:45 AM

[quote]It's even going to lose the Golden Globe for Best Comedy/Musical to ASIB.

That will be a neat trick, given that Warner Brothers is submitting ASIB in the drama category for the Golden Globes.

by Anonymousreply 442November 27, 2018 5:57 AM

Well, then ASIB won't win that one, either.

by Anonymousreply 443November 27, 2018 5:59 AM

Collette’s win at the Gotham’s is nice but though it’s positioned as a pre-cursor, it’s really an outlier. There is no overlap with the Academy and the awards are voted on by a handful of people on different committees. It doesn’t guarantee anything. Heteditary’s box office would’ve had to equal Get Out’s to ensure Oscar noms.

by Anonymousreply 444November 27, 2018 7:45 AM

I think the top three men will be Bradley Cooper, Viggo Mortensen and Christian Bale. I don't think Gosling has a shot at all. Neither does Hugh Jackman. Raimi Malek might squeak in because so any people love Queen. But I honestly believe the last two spots out of five are up for grabs.

by Anonymousreply 445November 27, 2018 8:35 AM

I disagree about Mortensen. He’s on very shaky ground. Green Book isn’t delivering.

by Anonymousreply 446November 27, 2018 8:48 AM

R446, I'm pretty sure Green Book was never expected to be a box office hit. I don't think First Man lit any fires either. I'm going to stick with my prediction that he will be in the top three. Now, maybe I'm overlooking someone who's not on the radar yet. I have no idea which films are coming out in December and January.

by Anonymousreply 447November 27, 2018 8:54 AM

[quote]Mary Poppins isn't getting anything except some music-based nominations.

My, such a strong opinion from someone who hasn't seen the film, hasn't seen the reactions it's getting at screenings, and hasn't read any reviews because there aren't any yet.

You know nothing, dear, and don't try to pretend you do. Mary Poppins Returns might easily come in with 9 - 10 nominations.

by Anonymousreply 448November 27, 2018 12:22 PM

r428, Sylvia Sidney does not belong in that group - she did not get a nomination for Dead End (all the others are Oscar nominees for those roles). Her only Oscar nomination was years later as Joanne Woodward's mother in Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams.

by Anonymousreply 449November 27, 2018 1:57 PM

National Board of Review selections to be announced today, November 27!

by Anonymousreply 450November 27, 2018 2:56 PM

It's the NBR, so don't be shocked by some head-scratching recognition of whatever mediocrity Clint Eastwood put out this year. Fortunately, "The 15:17 to Paris" might have been too awful, even for them.

They're such an impossible group to predict. They almost never pick the eventual winner, but sometimes they go for a hip selection like "Mad Max: Fury Road," and sometimes they go full geriatric like "The Post" last year.

by Anonymousreply 451November 27, 2018 3:12 PM

I actually think ASIB lobbied to be put in Drama instead of Comedy/Musical specifically because they thought they'd be beaten by Mary Poppins Returns, and the fact that the voters love Gaga so much that a win as Best Actress in a Drama would solidify her win at the Oscars.

And yeah, stop trying to make Toni Colette happen.

by Anonymousreply 452November 27, 2018 3:37 PM

R449, that’s my bad. I got her mixed up with Claire Trevor who received a nomination for DEAD END.

by Anonymousreply 453November 27, 2018 4:08 PM

R451, Eastwood has THE MULE this year (producer, star, and director). Also features a supporting performance by Bradley Cooper who could easily be double-nominated in acting this year.

With the “sure-things” falling one by one by the wayside (the boring Gosling in FIRST MAN, Viggo’s n-word baggage for GREEN BOOK), I could easily see Eastwood sneaking in a la MILLION DOLLAR BABY. And then you’d really need to start looking at him as a spoiler winner (he’s never won for acting).

by Anonymousreply 454November 27, 2018 4:11 PM

I think Eastwood's reputation as a Republican (talking to the empty chair in 2012!) probably hurts his chances to win another Oscar. Plus, the guy has four already, has never been considered to be that good of an actor, and didn't even make it in for "Gran Torino" when that film was an actual hit.

I know "A Star is Born" was submitted as a Drama at the Globes, but I don't think the Globes have to accept that placement. I'm pretty sure they rejected Vikander and Mara when they were submitted as Supporting a few years back (while accepting "The Martian" as a Comedy, strangely). Any word on whether the Globes have made a decision on the movie's placement?

by Anonymousreply 455November 27, 2018 4:19 PM

I don't think anyone thinks that Clint Eastwood needs an Oscar for acting.

Cooper and Gaga have already said they'll perform The Shallow at the Oscars, Gaga will obviously perform another song from the film. The popularity of ASIB (and other contenders, like Black Panther) ensures the ratings will be higher than previous years. I think anyone who doesn't like ASIB should stay home on Oscar night because it's going to be their night. All night.

Posters keep saying Cooper is a first time director and likely won't win but he's made an impressive debut and, as important, he has earned the respect of key players in Hollywood for his hard work an dedication - as in DeNiro and Eastwood, among others.

by Anonymousreply 456November 27, 2018 7:18 PM

The song is just called “Shallow.” No “THE” in front.

by Anonymousreply 457November 27, 2018 7:21 PM

Not to mention, Cooper is already a four-time Oscar nominee (3 for acting, 1 for producing) with a string of box office hits. All of that achieved this decade. Furthermore, he's at the perfect age (40s) when the Academy begins awarding actors. He has too much goodwill this year and then some.

by Anonymousreply 458November 27, 2018 7:25 PM

NBR is in

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 459November 27, 2018 8:09 PM

Looking at last year's NBR awards, none of top winners earned Oscars, and Tom Hanks wasn't even nominated. The only winner NBR predicted was Animated Feature, and they didn't even put "The Shape of Water" in their top ten. The year before they got Casey Affleck right, but Amy Adams didn't get a nomination, and the year before that they only chose one eventual Oscar winner for acting (Brie Larson).

So there might be one winner in the bunch, but there might be a performance that's snubbed altogether.

by Anonymousreply 460November 27, 2018 8:25 PM

NBR and NYFCC and LAFCA (the two big critics awards) don't often correspond with the Academy. The precursors to watch are SAG, Golden Globe, and Oscars. Those don't begin until January though the nominations are announced in December. So in two weeks we'll have a better inkling of what to expect come Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 461November 27, 2018 8:31 PM

Yay. Sam Elliott won for Best Mustache Combing.

by Anonymousreply 462November 27, 2018 8:34 PM

So NBR gave Best Actress to Lady Caca. That almost assures that she won't win the Oscar, as they seldom get that right.

by Anonymousreply 463November 27, 2018 8:42 PM

Glenn's sweep is going so well!

by Anonymousreply 464November 27, 2018 8:43 PM

M you only have 2 of those NBRs Best Actress. They are obviously a disgrace!

They have correctly Best Actress 23/74 times.

by Anonymousreply 465November 27, 2018 8:47 PM

Actually, if the Academy wants to honor both of this year's two most popular films, then let Cooper win actor, Gaga actress, and give the directing award to Ryan Coogler for Black Panther. It would also be a good way of honoring Coogler's prior work on films such as Fruitvale Station and Creed. He's a talented young director and deserves the award far more than Cooper does.

by Anonymousreply 466November 27, 2018 8:55 PM

R466 because he's black? Cooper is a multiple Oscar nominee with a string of box office hits dating back ten years. He has also produced a Best Picture nominee. It stands to reason it is Cooper who deserves the award more than Coogler, who has zero nods and only two recent hits.

by Anonymousreply 467November 27, 2018 9:03 PM

Bradley Cooper and Christian Bale Lead Top Heavy Actor Race:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 468November 27, 2018 9:06 PM

Three out of four main actors from American Hustle will all be in contention this year for an Oscar.

Sorry, Jennifer.

by Anonymousreply 469November 27, 2018 9:08 PM

R468 Bradley, a top? Ha!

by Anonymousreply 470November 27, 2018 9:29 PM

After seeing “Mary Poppins Returns,” and I’m not sure of its Oscar chances beyond the techs, but I’ve always been a huge skeptic of it anyway. Blunt is a lot of fun, but it feels like she’s almost a supporting character, especially toward the end. “A Cover is not the Book” was easily my favorite song, and even though I was middling on LMM, he and Blunt were great in it. Streep doesn’t have a shot, and everything about her performance plays into what her detractors say about Meryl right now.

by Anonymousreply 471November 28, 2018 5:34 AM

R471 = joint effort by Julie Andrews and Emma Thompson

by Anonymousreply 472November 28, 2018 5:51 AM

R465, I have 3 Oscars, sweetie. BTW, Glenn was nominated for Gotham Awards as well and it went to another actress too.

by Anonymousreply 473November 28, 2018 8:32 AM

R473 is M.

by Anonymousreply 474November 28, 2018 8:33 AM

[quote]The precursors to watch are SAG, Golden Globe, and Oscars

That's the first time someone has advised watching the Oscars as a precursor. Precursor to what, exactly? It's all done when the Oscars are over.

by Anonymousreply 475November 28, 2018 9:33 AM

Here's a schedule of when the awards/nominations are announced. The NYFCC is tomorrow, but the LAFCA isn't until December 9, after the Golden Globes nominations are announced.

I think the only potentially major film that didn't get screened in time for the NYFCC is Clint Eastwood's "The Mule."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 476November 28, 2018 9:42 AM

No R474 really? We thought it was Daniel Day Lewis!

Glenn should stand a decent chance at NYFCC tomorrow as she is respected in those circles but their choices have been increasingly left field for a while now so it's not a sure thing!

by Anonymousreply 477November 28, 2018 11:20 AM

E475 LOL! Obviously, I meant SAG, Golden Globes, and BAFTA.

by Anonymousreply 478November 28, 2018 11:47 AM

2017 NYFCC - Best Actor Timothée Chalamet, Best Actress Saoirse Ronan (neither won Oscar). 2016 NYFCC - Best Actor Casey Affleck, Best Actress Isabelle Huppert (Affleck won Oscar, Huppert didn't). 2015 NYFCC - Best Actor Michael Keaton, Best Actress Saoirse Ronan (neither won Oscar).

So why exactly NYFCC can help Glenn somehow to her road to Oscars?

by Anonymousreply 479November 28, 2018 11:59 AM

R479 that's why SAG, Golden Globes, and BAFTA are the only precursors that matter. Actors who win two of those or all three usually go on to win the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 480November 28, 2018 12:12 PM

New York loves Saoirse

by Anonymousreply 481November 28, 2018 12:24 PM

She's fro the Bronx, after all.

by Anonymousreply 482November 28, 2018 12:27 PM

New York loves Collette, too. She definitely has a shot at NYFCC

by Anonymousreply 483November 28, 2018 1:24 PM

I think NYFCC might go for Joanna Kulig.

by Anonymousreply 484November 28, 2018 9:14 PM

I love Kulig in Cold War. I guess it’s ppssible she can pull out a win somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 485November 28, 2018 9:20 PM

But if there's one thing that New York filmgoers DON'T love, it's Glenn.

by Anonymousreply 486November 28, 2018 11:01 PM

Regina Hall won the NYFCC for Best Actress. Interesting.

by Anonymousreply 487November 29, 2018 9:24 PM

Regina as a double nominee would be a game changer.

by Anonymousreply 488November 29, 2018 9:40 PM

No, R488, Regina Hall won for one film and Regina KING won for another.

by Anonymousreply 489November 29, 2018 9:43 PM

Ah, sorry.

I don’t see them nominating Hall.

by Anonymousreply 490November 29, 2018 9:46 PM

Gaga's getting a nom. So is Bradley. They want win. But Madonna will lose her mind. And that's why it's so cool.

by Anonymousreply 491November 29, 2018 10:38 PM

WON'T!!!

by Anonymousreply 492November 29, 2018 10:39 PM

I hadn't even heard of the Regina Hall film before. Awesome.

by Anonymousreply 493November 29, 2018 10:54 PM

It was a day and date release, barely played any screens. Got decent if unspectacular reviews.

by Anonymousreply 494November 30, 2018 3:11 AM

SUPPORT THE GIRLS is really lovely, I was thrilled to see it get some notice.

by Anonymousreply 495November 30, 2018 3:23 AM

First Toni, then Gaga, and now Regina?

At this rate, will Glenn even be able to beat the cast of "Book Club"?

by Anonymousreply 496November 30, 2018 4:22 AM

Critics' Debate: The Great Screen Performances of 2018:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 497November 30, 2018 3:02 PM

Detroit Film Critics announced their nominations. Glenn Close wasn't even nominated.

by Anonymousreply 498November 30, 2018 3:39 PM

Oh, well, if Detroit says so...

by Anonymousreply 499November 30, 2018 3:44 PM

You can't blame G for that. Her little movie probably never made it to the hinterlands. What is it they call it, a limited release? Such an odd concept.

by Anonymousreply 500November 30, 2018 3:51 PM

I agree, a very odd concept, M. If one is doing a film with limited appeal to anyone, go ahead and bomb big, I always say. "Hope Springs" and "Ricky and the Flash," for example.

by Anonymousreply 501November 30, 2018 9:06 PM

Hope Springs made €115million from a relatively small budget. Ricki made over €45million from an €18million budget.

by Anonymousreply 502November 30, 2018 9:12 PM

They both bombed big in the reviews, though. Ricki and the Flash (which was pure trash) more so than "Hope Springs," although not many liked that one either. Streep is such an automatic Oscar nominee now that when she doesn't score a nomination, there's usually a good reason.

by Anonymousreply 503December 1, 2018 10:29 AM

R503 they didn't bomb in reviews either. Hope Springs is 75% on RT and the main criticism was it was overlong.

Ricki is 64%. While not great it certainly isn't trash. It's problem was a weak screenplay. More time should have been spent exllori g her relationship with a 3 kinds and less on the singing.

Shite that Streep has been in includes "The Giver", "The House of the Spirits", "Before and After", "Lions for Lambs" and "Evening". All critical and box office flops.

by Anonymousreply 504December 1, 2018 10:45 AM

*exploring her relationship with all 3 kids. Sorry!

by Anonymousreply 505December 1, 2018 10:47 AM

So Timothee is not going to get nominated?

by Anonymousreply 506December 1, 2018 10:49 AM

Was the Manchurian Candidate a flop? Because that was a total piece of shit. It was the first time I really remember being embarrassed by a Streep performance. Hambone on rye.

by Anonymousreply 507December 1, 2018 11:05 AM

R507, yes it was.

by Anonymousreply 508December 1, 2018 11:10 AM

Rotten Tomatoes actually has seventeen "rottens" for Streep, mostly in the latter part of her career, and including "The Iron Lady."

by Anonymousreply 509December 1, 2018 11:12 AM

Yet I have 3 Oscars, darlings!

by Anonymousreply 510December 1, 2018 11:17 AM

Death Becomes Her is rotten! WTF?

2007 is Streep's annus horribilis. 4 rotten movies that flopped. No wonder she said yes to Mamma Mia! It was a guaranteed hit.

by Anonymousreply 511December 1, 2018 11:20 AM

I have now seen Support The Girls. It's such a low-budget underdog of a film, it would be churlish to smite NYFCC for drawing attention to it. It reveals some charms over its short running time - primarily the performance of Regina Hall. It's about a Hooters-style independent local sports bar and the way her character protects and advocates for her employees. It's a slice about working class American women. Just watching her walk around in her worn out, black work shoes and nondescript work clothes engenders a fair amount of empathy probably from anyone who has ever worked in such a restaurant. There was a very subtle humour and some good supporting performances. But it is real micro-budget independent filmmaking and unlikely to receive much attention beyond this accolade, though a GG and/or a SAG nomination wouldn't surprise, it's not incredibly likely primarily because there's no campaign behind it.

by Anonymousreply 512December 1, 2018 12:05 PM

Stop discussing M. This is MY year, god damn it. Eyes on ME!!!!

by Anonymousreply 513December 1, 2018 12:36 PM

Oh and Regina Hall was the first black actress to ever win Best Actress from the NYFCC in their 83-year history.

by Anonymousreply 514December 1, 2018 12:58 PM

G do you really want us to start talking about all your rotten films?

by Anonymousreply 515December 1, 2018 1:46 PM

Meryl and I almost did a movie together once... but, Glenn and I did MAXIE, so there’s that. No comment.

by Anonymousreply 516December 1, 2018 2:33 PM

Someone needs to dust off “Somethong About Amelia” a TV movie from 1983 in which Glenn’s husband (Ted Danson) is fucking their teenage daughter, Amelia. She is actually excellent in it.

by Anonymousreply 517December 1, 2018 2:39 PM

*Something

(Although, Glenn in a movie called “Some Thong” could be quite interesting.)

by Anonymousreply 518December 1, 2018 2:42 PM

Is Maxxie one of the worst movies Glenn did?

by Anonymousreply 519December 1, 2018 2:53 PM

“House Of The Spirits” is the worst film anyone in that cast has ever done...except for maybe the guy who got Chloe Sevigny to suck his cock on film.

by Anonymousreply 520December 1, 2018 2:56 PM

I’m watching “Maxie” right now on YouTube. I’m high right now so I’m finding it quite hilarious. Red/auburn is not a good look for Glenn.

by Anonymousreply 521December 1, 2018 3:14 PM

Mandy Patinkin looks cute as fuck in Maxie. He and Glenn are just not believable as couple at all.

by Anonymousreply 522December 1, 2018 3:17 PM

R521 what time is it there? Where are you in the world to be high at this time!

by Anonymousreply 523December 1, 2018 3:21 PM

R523, D.C. I decided to just get started early today. All I have to do is attend a Christmas party later.

by Anonymousreply 524December 1, 2018 4:36 PM

R524 You aren't Trump, are you?

by Anonymousreply 525December 1, 2018 4:40 PM

Ha, nope! I’m just down the street from him though.

by Anonymousreply 526December 1, 2018 4:42 PM

Glenn Close can only pronounce it as Something About AMAYlia.

by Anonymousreply 527December 1, 2018 4:45 PM

Lol R527

by Anonymousreply 528December 1, 2018 4:52 PM

Theron was really good in Tully. The Academy loves her. That would be a surprise nom.

by Anonymousreply 529December 1, 2018 10:36 PM

Good Christ, what a heinous slice of shit is Vox Lux. Who thought this should be a movie, let alone Oscar fare??

by Anonymousreply 530December 2, 2018 12:08 AM

r529 The academy loves her so much that she has a grand total of two nominations in her two decade career.

by Anonymousreply 531December 2, 2018 12:10 AM

What's the big tragedy in her life in Vox Luxe, r530? A school shooting?

by Anonymousreply 532December 2, 2018 12:23 AM

[quote]This is MY year, god damn it.

And you've kicked it off in grand style, losing out on all three of the first "bellwether" awards!

by Anonymousreply 533December 2, 2018 12:24 AM

Yes. (And for those who yell "spoiler alert" it happens in the first five minutes.)

by Anonymousreply 534December 2, 2018 12:25 AM

R531, that's a lot more than others have. And you do realize she actually has an Oscar, right? They like her as a person, too. That's more than half the game when it comes to getting a nomination. A lot of her movies are just not up to par but when she's in a good movie, she gets a nom.

by Anonymousreply 535December 2, 2018 1:01 AM

M, I'm hearing rumors that you've finally agreed to film the sequel to Still of the Night. Good for you!

by Anonymousreply 536December 2, 2018 1:03 AM

So do we have Gaga or not?

by Anonymousreply 537December 2, 2018 5:37 AM

Watched The Rider tonight. What a fantastic film, but it's also a bizarre experience watching these people play versions of themselves. I was very impressed with Brady Jandreau's performance. (Can't say the same for his father, and whoever dubbed his sister's voice should get a Razzie).

Anyone else see it?

by Anonymousreply 538December 2, 2018 8:03 AM

Theron is so overrated

by Anonymousreply 539December 2, 2018 8:07 AM

Theron is a known bitch. But me being a gold star gay? Walked past and almost tripped at how hot she was.

by Anonymousreply 540December 2, 2018 9:56 AM

R35 what the fuck are you rambling about? Theron was amazing in Young Adult in 2011 and didn't get a nomination. They chose Rooney Mara for her dreary Lisbeth Salander.

Theron could also have got nods for In The Valley of Elah and Mad Max, both of which The Academy nominated in other categories. Face it, she is not "loved by the academy"!

by Anonymousreply 541December 2, 2018 10:07 AM

Who is more beloved by Academy-the person who has two nominations and already won Oscar or person who has 6 nominations but never won Oscar?

by Anonymousreply 542December 2, 2018 12:36 PM

R542 obviously, the person with the most nods. When a person wins, it's sometimes luck. It was a pretty weak category when Theron won: Keshia Castle-Hughes (a 14-year-old), Diane Keaton (in a rom-com), and Samantha Morton (IN AMERICA) and Naomi Watts (21 GRAMS) who didn't get much traction for their small movies.

Plus, Theron's character checked off all the Academy boxes: biopic, uglied up, prostitute, put-upon woman, lesbian, mental disorder

by Anonymousreply 543December 2, 2018 1:13 PM

Theron blew away the competition. Keaton was great in SGG but her nomination was mainly for her blink and you’ll miss it nude scene.

by Anonymousreply 544December 2, 2018 1:27 PM

R54 thus, she didn't have much competition and it was a weak category.

by Anonymousreply 545December 2, 2018 1:33 PM

R543 Samantha Morton or Diane Keaton should have won but for each of the them the nomination was the award.

by Anonymousreply 546December 2, 2018 2:05 PM

I’m still traumatized by Streep’s nude scene in Still of the Night.

by Anonymousreply 547December 2, 2018 2:05 PM

The Rider is one of my top 10 films of the year

by Anonymousreply 548December 2, 2018 3:22 PM

Theron didn't even make my cut in 2003. Monster was a slog of a movie and Theron should have given her Oscar to her fake choppers. It was a performance that just screamed INDICATING! Really amateurish work. Before Monster, Theron was considered a joke and horrible actress. I'm not really sure how the narrative got changed by THAT performance, but the poster upthread is correct- The Academy LOVES bells and whistles. That being said, the Oscar did allow Theron to become more comfortable and less self conscious in front of the camera and she has evolved into a good (not great) actress who has become much more watchable.

For my money, Best Actress should have gone to a Russian actress named Oksana Akinshina, who played the title character in Lilya-4-Ever, an incredibly bleak and depressing film by Lukas Moodysson about a teenaged girl who is kidnapped, exported to another country and forced to be a prostitute. Really hard watch, but an incredible film and two magnificent performances by Oksana and the young boy who befriends her (I think his name was Atom Bogucharsky (sp?)) Oksana won several international awards for Best Actress that year. But of course, that was never going to happen with the Academy.

by Anonymousreply 549December 2, 2018 6:26 PM

Theron had some nice quiet moments that I much preferred to the angst (same way I felt about Halle Berry in her Oscar film, as well) -- but she did something that drove me nuts throughout. When she'd throw her head back to adjust her hair. Yes, the real Warnos did this on camera -- but only because she was handcuffed and couldn't fix it otherwise. Not just out of habit.

By the way, I love Franco's small moments in "Disaster Artist" and HATE when he gets loud and stupid. I think even without the MeToo nonsense, he wouldn't have been nominated after all.

by Anonymousreply 550December 2, 2018 8:09 PM

The Favourite swept the British Independent Film Awards with Olivia Colman and Rachel Weisz winning Best Lead and Supporting. Colman is shaping up to be the one to beat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 551December 2, 2018 9:39 PM

Yeah, I'm sure the British Indie Awards will have any sway on the Oscars. Their American counterpart (Spirit) usually don't.

by Anonymousreply 552December 2, 2018 9:41 PM

Diane Keaton was fucking awful in Somethings Gotta Give. Playing herself, as always. The same as Jack.

by Anonymousreply 553December 2, 2018 11:17 PM

Loved Diane Keaton in Something's Gotta Give. Hated the movie "Monster," and although I thought Theron was excellent, the movie was garbage. (And Christina Ricci gave a career-worst performance).

by Anonymousreply 554December 2, 2018 11:29 PM

[quote]Oksana won several international awards for Best Actress that year. But of course, that was never going to happen with the Academy.

Uh ... it didn't happen with any major awards at all. She won three, the Chlotrudis Award, the Gijón International Film Festival, and the Guldbagge Award. Wow, the prestige!

The movie was painful, I made it only through the first hour or so.

by Anonymousreply 555December 2, 2018 11:32 PM

R554 I remember at the time Ricci's name being thrown around as a possible candidate for Supporting Actress. I was, like, how? She was awful! Her crying scenes seemed very forced. That said, I would have nominated her for Wednesday Addams way back when. That was a role she was born to play, and she played it beautifully.

by Anonymousreply 556December 2, 2018 11:57 PM

Celine Dion getting a nod for her Deadpool song. Then, (not to steal Gaga's thunder) she performs at the Oscar's with Ryan Reynolds dancing in spandex behind her.

by Anonymousreply 557December 3, 2018 12:06 AM

I'd rather she performs at the Oscars with Ryan Reynolds dancing in a jockstrap behind her, r557.

by Anonymousreply 558December 3, 2018 12:17 AM

I couldn't name a single winner from last year (or the year before, for that matter).

by Anonymousreply 559December 3, 2018 2:08 AM

Just saw Ben is Back. Hedges and Julia are amazing. Juila will be nominated. So good

by Anonymousreply 560December 3, 2018 2:36 AM

If they can nominate Julie, they will nominate Julia.

by Anonymousreply 561December 3, 2018 2:40 AM

[quote] Uh ... it didn't happen with any major awards at all. She won three, the Chlotrudis Award, the Gijón International Film Festival, and the Guldbagge Award. Wow, the prestige!

Uh... I didn't say she won any major awards, did I. I also said it would never have happened for the Oscars. I don't know who the fuck you're arguing with, but you suck at it.

by Anonymousreply 562December 3, 2018 2:52 AM

You said she was your pick for Best Actress that year, that she won “several” international awards, and you implied the Oscar nom didn’t happen because they don’t acknowledge such gritty performances. But it wasn’t just Oscar. No one acknowledged her performance save for the three no-name awards she won in Easten Europe.

by Anonymousreply 563December 3, 2018 2:57 AM

I said she was my pick because I thought it was the best female performance of the year, not because I thought she had a chance to win. I said she won several international awards because she did. And I implied no such thing. My statement, since you're so hell bent on making the same point I already made, was that she would have had no chance to win an Oscar for the role because the film wasn't known enough (it barely got a release here) and no one was going to champion someone playing an underage white slave sex worker. I didn't feel the need to put all that in there since I wasn't actually arguing that the Academy should have nominated her or that there was any way it could have happened.

You really can't fucking read. You should just keep your mouth shut.

by Anonymousreply 564December 3, 2018 3:09 AM

R560, what about Lucas Hedges? It would be kind of amazing if he became the youngest man to get two acting Oscar nominations (Mickey Rooney holds that record, and both of his were in lead!). Chalamet would also beat Rooney, but that’s looking less likely every day.

by Anonymousreply 565December 3, 2018 3:19 AM

After all this discussion of “Lilya 4-Ever,” I’ve committed to finally watching it. If I don’t like it, DL will never know because I would not want to cross R564. (In part because I suspect he’d be right).

by Anonymousreply 566December 3, 2018 3:29 AM

hahahaha. You can not like it, R566. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't. It's not really a film to "like." I remember a friend and I went to see it at the New Beverly in mid-2004 on a double bill. Both of us had wanted to see it very much, being Moodysson fans. She was just traumatized by it. Understood it was a powerful film, but was not happy to have sat through it. I like bleak and dark films, so I was very much immersed in it and it packed a wallop, but I understood where she was coming from. A couple years back I bought a R2 Moodysson box set of DVDs that includes Lilya, but I've yet to watch it again. Someday.

by Anonymousreply 567December 3, 2018 3:51 AM

Just watched Green Book. It's fine, but it's not Best Picture material. We've seen this feel good race relations thing before and done better (though it does usually seem they are all the same movie). Mahershala Ali is fantastic. I’ll accept his Oscar for doing nothing in Moonlight as an advance award for this performance. Mortensen isn’t doing anything any other actor couldn’t do and hasn’t done, playing a Noo Yawk Italian stereotype who learns to be more accepting. It's an autopilot performance and deserves nothing.

by Anonymousreply 568December 3, 2018 4:49 AM

I couldn't agree with you more, R549, regarding Theron. Perfectly said.

However, you seems to fall into the same pit many fine people often do. When there are no worthy candidates for the best actress lineup (and it's almost always about the lead actress category, for obvious reason) in English speaking films, names of "foreign" actresses are being mentioned. Never as alternatives for the best of the likes of 1962 or 2006, when - not that characteristically- there were an accumulations of good, showy starring roles for women. But Giulietta Masina in Cabiria is often mentioned as an alternative for the rather shallow and schlocky virtuosity of Woodward in T3FoE as the best of the dismal 1957, and the admiration of Liv Ullmann has a lot to do with the disgracefully low state of female presence in the American films of the '70s. I don't dismiss Oksana Akinshina, but maybe at least part of the reasoning for bringing up her name is the total lack of other, more conventional, candidates (I know the feeling, I too run my own private Alternative Oscars enterprize, and yes, best actress of 2003 is indeed a very tough one. Pressed, I'll name Uma Thurman for Kill Bill Part I).

by Anonymousreply 569December 3, 2018 10:12 AM

THE 2018 WAFCA AWARD WINNERS.

Little Timmy better start to worry now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 570December 3, 2018 12:48 PM

Lilya 4-Ever is probably one of the most depressing movies ever made. It’s just unrelenting. It makes They Shoot Horses, Don’t They? look like light fare.

by Anonymousreply 571December 3, 2018 12:48 PM

"Little Timmy" isn't the only one who should start to worry. Glenn had better start lighting candles in hopes of even getting a nomination.

by Anonymousreply 572December 3, 2018 3:03 PM

Once again, critics awards don't mean squat regarding the Oscars. They vote for who they think deserves it, not who they think will win the Oscar. SAG, Golden Globes, and BAFTA do try to be predictors, so those are the ones to watch out for.

by Anonymousreply 573December 3, 2018 3:43 PM

If Timmy is even a contender, he shouldn’t be worried. So far no one in his category is dominating these critics’ prizes; if anything they’re really spread out. Look to LA to give it to Steven Yuen, or someone else equally outside the Academy mainstream. It’s a weak year for Supporting Actor anyway.

by Anonymousreply 574December 3, 2018 3:47 PM

Nick Nolte is giving a really magnificent performance in, unfortunately, an awful film - "Headful of Honey"

by Anonymousreply 575December 3, 2018 5:48 PM

[quote]They vote for who they think deserves it

That’s the whole point. So far, no one seems to think Glenn deserves it. The idea that she’s more deserving because she’s lost out so many times seems not to hold any water. She’s toast as far as a win, and maybe even as far as a nomination.

by Anonymousreply 576December 4, 2018 7:07 AM

Los Angeles Online Film Critics Society Nominations.

Oh look who is NOT nominated again - Glenn Close!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 577December 4, 2018 12:40 PM

OMG- Best Male Director and Best Female Director? Could we please put a cap on these meaningless awards already?

by Anonymousreply 578December 4, 2018 2:24 PM

Rami Malek got his much deserved nomination. Now onto Oscars

by Anonymousreply 579December 4, 2018 2:25 PM

R576 perhaps I should've said "their favorite" since it's all subjective, anyway.

Anyway, my point is that the Oscars don't often go to the people who many think deserve it. There are several factors involved: age, overdue status. lifetime achievement, politics, biopics, etc. You have to take all of that into account, not just performance. As it stands, her performance notwithstanding, Gaga doesn't have a narrative to win Best Actress. She's never been taken seriously as an actress (many saw her GG win for AHS a joke) and this is her first feature film and would be her first nod as Best Actress. Very rarely does someone win an Oscar on their first try, especially in the lead category. That alone is one strike against Gaga winning.

Incidentally, you seem to be new at this if you think that performance alone decides the Oscar or that critics awards have any sway.

by Anonymousreply 580December 4, 2018 4:14 PM

Glenn is a lock for a nomination. Anyone stating otherwise has no idea what they’re talking about.

by Anonymousreply 581December 4, 2018 5:25 PM

R541 They chose Rooney Mara for her dreary Lisbeth Salander.

Swinton was snubbed for a Harvey girl Mara

by Anonymousreply 582December 4, 2018 5:42 PM

R543 Samantha Morton (IN AMERICA) and Naomi Watts

both Morton and Watts were way better than Theron and they are better actors too especially Morton!

by Anonymousreply 583December 4, 2018 5:52 PM

Charlize gives one of my favorite performances in Young Adult. Absolutely love that movie. I think the unlikability of her character might have hurt her chances.

Tilda also go all the necessary precursors and then was inexplicably left off the list.

Rooney Mara - ugh, the less said about that performance, the better. Although, I would say the the winner, Meryl in the execrable The Iron Lady, probably have the worst performance out of those nominated (and that includes Glenn in male drag).

by Anonymousreply 584December 4, 2018 5:53 PM

Theron gave the same acting in Tully and Young Adult

by Anonymousreply 585December 4, 2018 5:54 PM

[quote]Theron was considered a joke and horrible actress. I'm not really sure how the narrative got changed by THAT performance

I have always wondered about that

by Anonymousreply 586December 4, 2018 5:55 PM

Remember when she bared more than her soul in Church in The Devil's Advocate? Do you think that's the scene the male producers made her audition with, like Margot Robbie in TWOWS??

by Anonymousreply 587December 4, 2018 6:28 PM

Theron gave the same acting in Tully and Young Adult

....and Arrested Development

by Anonymousreply 588December 4, 2018 6:46 PM

What a dumb opinion, r588

by Anonymousreply 589December 4, 2018 6:55 PM

R587, someone on the crew of The Devil’s Advocate told me that for some reason all of the wardrobe, hair and make-up departments had been ordered to go on their lunch break and so when they finished the scene with Theron lying on the floor in broken glass was completed there was nobody to even hand her a fucking robe.

by Anonymousreply 590December 4, 2018 7:16 PM

[quote] I think the unlikability of her character might have hurt her chances.

Or perhaps the fact that many found Young Adult to be a bloody bore. Patton Oswald was good but unappealing, especially for the resolution.

The movie got tons of advance PR, and then couldn’t deliver. Its worldwide gross was 22 million, not good for a film that cost 12 million to make.

by Anonymousreply 591December 4, 2018 9:48 PM

R591, it’s status as a cult film has grown over the years since it was released and it has many fans. You’re obviously not one of them, but I’ve spoken with several.

by Anonymousreply 592December 4, 2018 10:06 PM

*its

by Anonymousreply 593December 4, 2018 10:06 PM

Speaking of Patton Oswalt, he won LAFCA (one of the major critics awards) for YOUNG ADULT and he didn't even get an Oscar nomination.

by Anonymousreply 594December 4, 2018 10:08 PM

Ok, I've looked everywhere and I can't find it. When will the shortlist fo the short films -live action and animated -will be announced ?

Usually, it's at this time of the year. We get a list of ten, and then only five remain when all the Oscar noms are officially anounced.

by Anonymousreply 595December 4, 2018 10:33 PM

And that was a pretty weak field for Supporting Actor that year, R594. Christopher Plummer was obviously going to win in a walk, but the rest were Kenneth Branagh playing Laurence Olivier instead of just imitating him, Max von Sydow for the execrable "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close," Jonah Hill for being in a good movie that wasn't a comedy, and Nick Nolte.

by Anonymousreply 596December 4, 2018 10:34 PM

[quote]it’s status as a cult film has grown over the years since it was released and it has many fans. You’re obviously not one of them, but I’ve spoken with several.

Really? One never hears it talked about. I mean, you and your friends do, but I went to several lists of cult films (the ones that are geared to 21st century films) and couldn't find it listed anywhere.

This list is of "19 Recent Movies That are Sure to Become Cult Films." None of these were on the other lists, but "Young Adult" isn't here, either.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 597December 4, 2018 11:21 PM

Shutting ...

by Anonymousreply 598December 4, 2018 11:47 PM

this ...

by Anonymousreply 599December 4, 2018 11:47 PM

down....

by Anonymousreply 600December 4, 2018 11:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!