Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is leaving only one space before the ZIP Code a sign that one is low class?

My family always typed their ZIP codes with two spaces between the state abbreviation and the ZIP code.

by Anonymousreply 56December 19, 2018 9:00 PM

Inbreeders

by Anonymousreply 1November 14, 2018 5:02 PM

Nobody types two spaces between anything any more unless they are ONE HUNDRED YEARS OLD and used a typewriter once.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 14, 2018 5:03 PM

Judging others is low class OP.

by Anonymousreply 3November 14, 2018 5:03 PM

Two spaces is a plot by Hallmark to use more space on card envelopes, thus increasing their profits in ink and paper sales.

by Anonymousreply 4November 14, 2018 5:03 PM

R2, what's wrong with being over forty?

by Anonymousreply 5November 14, 2018 5:05 PM

Going to reread this thread:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6November 14, 2018 5:06 PM

It means you're a deplorable that voted for Trump

by Anonymousreply 7November 14, 2018 5:07 PM

We always typed out the full name of the state. Abbreviations are what’s low-class.

by Anonymousreply 8November 14, 2018 5:07 PM

Our revolutionary type of mail doesn't require zip codes, OP.

by Anonymousreply 9November 14, 2018 5:08 PM

Glad you're concerned about the vital issues of the day---

by Anonymousreply 10November 14, 2018 5:10 PM

OP, what is your life like?

by Anonymousreply 11November 14, 2018 5:14 PM

That's only for envelopes, Hunty!

by Anonymousreply 12November 14, 2018 5:15 PM

Setting aside your "here," referring to anything as "low class" is itself indicative of being NOKD. No one with actual money speaks like that. It's a lower middle class idea of what rich people are like.

by Anonymousreply 13November 14, 2018 5:21 PM

Your family's idiotic practice has no bearing on actual USPS procedure.

Please note, there is no mention of two spaces preceding a ZIP code in any current USPS guideline. I will link the pertinent information from the USPS website.

Nothing bothers me more than superfluous modifications to a postal address.

For Canadians out there, that includes you putting hyphens in postal codes. The two elements of a Canadian postal code are separated by a space not a hyphen!

Learn to properly address your mail, you neanderthals.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14November 14, 2018 5:27 PM

What the fuck is OP talking about? Methinks he was abused as a child.

by Anonymousreply 15November 14, 2018 5:30 PM

I'm pretty sure the post office is overjoyed to see any First Class mail these days, R14, two post-abbreviation spaces or one.

by Anonymousreply 16November 14, 2018 5:33 PM

Miss OP, some family traditions are so sacrosanct that they should be maintained at all costs. We applaud your efforts.

by Anonymousreply 17November 14, 2018 5:39 PM

Interestingly enough, in lecturing OP, I came across Canada Post's guidelines for addressing and all their examples illustrate two preceding spaces in both Canadian and American addresses. There, is, however no explicitly written instruction to do so.

Also R16, with online shopping being as big as it is, I think you'll find the post office has a lot of mail to deal with. You've never had to wait in line behind an ebay seller with dozens of bubble mailers, envelopes, and boxes in tow?

Here in Canada, our postal workers are currently on rotating strikes due to the increase in parcel services. Letter carriers have been getting injured more and more by having to carry heavy parcels in bad weather conditions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 14, 2018 5:44 PM

The title of this should be Peasants gone Wild

by Anonymousreply 19November 14, 2018 5:45 PM

No OP. It just shows your family is unschooled.

by Anonymousreply 20November 14, 2018 5:48 PM

I was raised with the two-space policy before the zip code and will follow that policy until my typewriter is pried from my cold, dead hands.

by Anonymousreply 21November 14, 2018 6:02 PM

[quote] Two spaces is a plot by Hallmark to use more space on card envelopes, thus increasing their profits in ink and paper sales.

Hmm...you might be on to something! The amount of ink used for the extra space is inconsequential on any single envelope, but multiply that by the millions of envelopes mailed every single day! It could total up to an incomprehensible amount of ink!

by Anonymousreply 22November 14, 2018 6:08 PM

Ugh, two spaces? The really top-drawer thing to do is to put the ZIP code on a separate line, e.g. Mrs. U. P. Percrust / The Elms / Seaview Way / Newport, RI / 02841 / U.S.A.

The last line presumes, of course, that you're giving your return address for an overseas order of custom gravlax or bespoke spats.

by Anonymousreply 23November 14, 2018 6:08 PM

Oh well the Wells Fargo Wagon doesn't give a shit R23

by Anonymousreply 24November 14, 2018 7:21 PM

Is OP Hyacinth Bucket? She used a ruler to perfectly place the stamps.

by Anonymousreply 25November 14, 2018 7:34 PM

I always leave 2 spaces - never knew why though - however, won't associate it with someone who is "low class".

And I'm 56, just found out that people no longer do 2 spaces after a sentence.

by Anonymousreply 26November 14, 2018 7:39 PM

Two spaces after a sentence always. When you don’t use proper punctuation your statements are an eyesore and people won’t take what you wrote seriously.

I was shocked when I was asked at work to use print on handwritten notes because the younger workers couldn’t read cursive. WTF???

by Anonymousreply 27November 14, 2018 7:43 PM

I'm certain I wouldn't know, dear. In my family, we have people to handle quotidian tasks like handling mail.

by Anonymousreply 28November 14, 2018 7:48 PM

I don't think it has anything to do with high or low class. It just means you haven't kept up with the times.

by Anonymousreply 29November 14, 2018 7:54 PM

It's actually three spaces, as staff were taught some time ago . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30November 14, 2018 7:59 PM

[quote] Two spaces after a sentence always. When you don’t use proper punctuation your statements are an eyesore and people won’t take what you wrote seriously.

I see what you did there. (Not sure how many others will notice that you only have one space between your period and the following sentence.)

As for me, I’m ok with one space after a sentence. However, I don’t take people seriously when they use periods after phrases instead of complete sentences.

by Anonymousreply 31November 14, 2018 8:02 PM

R2, the real problem with that example is that it sounds as if it were written by a 3rd grader. (It should be rewritten as: "We had a good dinner.")

by Anonymousreply 32November 14, 2018 8:09 PM

Low class people write the apartment number in the lower left corner of an envelope. Post Office sorting machines require it on the same line as building number and street to be processed correctly. . ZIP Code (with 9-digits) should be on same line as city and state.

by Anonymousreply 33November 14, 2018 8:20 PM

[quote]Nothing bothers me more than superfluous modifications to a postal address.

Ms. Iris McNulty, Postmistress, Nash, OK, zip code 73761, HAS STATED HER BOUNDARIES.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34November 15, 2018 12:48 PM

I predict this thread will tear DL apart, much like the question about keeping bread in the fridge.

by Anonymousreply 35November 15, 2018 12:59 PM

I come here for that very reason, R35, how some totally random thing you never gave 2 seconds of thought to in your life generates a screeching howler monkey fight that goes to 600 responses replete with white trash accusations and, "FF and BLOCKED" declarations.

Shit like

Fingernails that cover the entire surface of the fingers vs almond shaped ones.

Breadboxes, hinged or lidded?

I'm thinking of getting a wine cooler and I want it to blend in with my other appliances but I heard stainless steel is over.

Anyone have any recipes for scratch-made ranch dressing?

I think eyes with outer corners that turn up are sexier than eyes that turn down.

Does anyone wear blazers with turtlenecks anymore?

I met this hot soldier on Grindr but he let his cat climb up on the table and counter and when he offered me a beer all I could think of was cat ass.

by Anonymousreply 36November 15, 2018 1:43 PM

[quote]I met this hot soldier on Grindr but he let his cat climb up on the table and counter and when he offered me a beer all I could think of was cat ass.

Oh, don't get me started on THAT one!

by Anonymousreply 37November 15, 2018 3:05 PM

In 12th grade, I took Typing I (yes, I think there was a Typing II class). From Typing class, I remember putting two spaces between the state abbreviation and the Zip Code. I also remember putting two spaces after a period (at the end of a sentence). I think this stemmed from the Courier typeface and how every letter took up the same amount of space (things looked like squares and blocks). More space was needed to visually separate sentences. Now, the convention is one space after a sentence. I still prefer two spaces, especially because periods are used for abbreviations as well as ending sentences.

by Anonymousreply 38November 15, 2018 3:27 PM

[quote]Two spaces after a sentence always. When you don’t use proper punctuation your statements are an eyesore and people won’t take what you wrote seriously.

Proper punctuation includes the use of commas. Your post is an eyesore and I can't take what you wrote seriously.

by Anonymousreply 39December 2, 2018 3:50 PM

Living in a country that needs postal codes is low class

by Anonymousreply 40December 2, 2018 3:53 PM

Your word processing program automatically adds the extra space after a period, so you do not need to do it manually.

But it does not automatically make the space adjustment after a capital letter...so you still need to type it in.

Except who addresses letters with a printer? It never worked and still does not. Most people handwrite.

by Anonymousreply 41December 2, 2018 4:20 PM

Some people print out mailing labels, r41.

by Anonymousreply 42December 2, 2018 4:51 PM

Three spaces between state and zip. Three!

by Anonymousreply 43December 2, 2018 5:01 PM

People who print out mailing labels are generally not typing the addresses. They are pulling them off of some mailing list where each element of the address is entered separately..

by Anonymousreply 44December 2, 2018 5:58 PM

Fascinating.

Both the idea of placing any sort of significance to how one addresses a handwritten envelope in 2018 and to certain DLer's long-standing obsession with what tells will give away their low-class roots.

by Anonymousreply 45December 2, 2018 6:02 PM

You could have saved yourself your faux vapors by referring to the USPS guidance, OP. Only a drama queen creates fake drama.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46December 2, 2018 6:29 PM

[quote]People who print out mailing labels are generally not typing the addresses. They are pulling them off of some mailing list where each element of the address is entered separately..

Each element has pre-set spaces. How many spaces are between the address and zip code? Nations rise and fall over such matters.

by Anonymousreply 47December 2, 2018 6:38 PM

i believe the most important thing, besides being sure the address is legible in the first place, is to keep in mind that addresses are read from the bottom up.

you 3-space queens are really going to have a hissy when you discover that the postal service is moving to a zip+6

by Anonymousreply 48December 2, 2018 6:57 PM

r36 You forgot any Italian cooking related topics, especially pasta draining. Oh god, the soda in the fridge. I think that was caught in one of the purges. That was classic.

The bread in the fridge was excellent because a baker posted amongst the shit flinging and explained it was bad, and why. He even posted a solution.

by Anonymousreply 49December 19, 2018 3:50 PM

[quote]Anyone have any recipes for scratch-made ranch dressing?

I would make sure I don't use one with garlic powder. The so-called Buttermilk Ranch used at WFM and amy local chain should be called Creamy Garlic Powder Dressing.

by Anonymousreply 50December 19, 2018 4:04 PM

Dear OP, no, it just means you're autistic..

by Anonymousreply 51December 19, 2018 4:10 PM

It’s always been two spaces between state and ZIP code. And always two spaces between sentences.

Anyone who doesn’t practice that is uneducated trash.

by Anonymousreply 52December 19, 2018 4:17 PM

No OP, it's a sign that you're old as fuck. Two spaces were used because of typewriters.

by Anonymousreply 53December 19, 2018 4:21 PM

Dear R53, no, you're old as fuck to even know that - and autistic - and a bitch

by Anonymousreply 54December 19, 2018 4:24 PM

r52 Now, don't mess your Depends, pop pop.

It's a single space after a period/full stop. Back in the Mesozoic era when you were a lad, you may remember typing or possibly [italic]keyboarding[/italic] instruction that told you that two spaces always follow a sentence-terminating punctuation mark. This is an unnecessary measure in the modern electronic era where software-assisted typesetting allows us to use [italic]proportional width[/italic] fonts unlike the [italic]fixed width[/italic] of characters you were stuck with on a mechanical keyboard.

Notice in the font used on this very website, in my very post, how the width of each letter is different. Such typesetting was impossible on mechanical typewriters where each character needed to be a uniform width which led to the common practice of the two-width space following a sentence in order to make text more readable. Notice in magazines, books, and other conventionally typeset materials of the era that this same practice was not employed. This was only the case in materials that would be typed from a typewriter or printed from some kind of daisy wheel or dot matrix printer commonly used when computers started appearing more and more in offices and which also limited font selection to monospaced typefaces.

Now, then, get off the computer, gramps. I'll bring you your blanket and a bowl of lukewarm porridge. I mashed up a banana in it for you as a treat.

by Anonymousreply 55December 19, 2018 4:52 PM

I worked at a law office one summer in high school in the early 90s. Part of my job was typing addresses of new clients on 3x5 cards (can't remember why now). We used a typewriter for this. Anyway, I was instructed to put 2 spaces after the state, before the zip code. I'm still in that habit today.

by Anonymousreply 56December 19, 2018 9:00 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!