Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Yes, It's A Stupid Question But I Still Want To know The Answer

Who said that there was no such thing as a stupid question? Well, there is!

This is a thread where you can ask those dumb ass questions without fear of embarrassment because you never learned about it in the first place and/or you're just too damn lazy to look it up for yourself! HOPEFULLY, others will have mercy on you and give you an answer to your stupid question!

Let's go!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 405November 11, 2020 5:29 PM

If a wild animal, let's say a lion, kills, mauls, and devours a human, why is it so urgent that the animal be found and killed?

by Anonymousreply 1November 12, 2018 2:17 PM

Sorry, but you are not pretty enough to work at my company.

by Anonymousreply 2November 12, 2018 2:18 PM

That’s why we now have google, OP.

by Anonymousreply 3November 12, 2018 2:19 PM

What is the difference between baking soda and baking powder? What does each one do?

by Anonymousreply 4November 12, 2018 2:20 PM

Okay, seriously, r4; Google.

by Anonymousreply 5November 12, 2018 2:23 PM

R4:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6November 12, 2018 2:26 PM

R1 I think it's because that animal has demonstrated that it has no fear of humans and will likely kill again. I think.

by Anonymousreply 7November 12, 2018 2:27 PM

Can animals learn different languages? Let's say a dog was born in France and is now 3 years old. All the dog has ever heard were human voices that spoke french. The American cousin comes to visit, (or the dog travels to the USA), would the dog understand any english?

by Anonymousreply 8November 12, 2018 2:29 PM

I'd like to ask why some snotty queens are kvetching about my mall? I need answahs.

by Anonymousreply 9November 12, 2018 2:30 PM

Okay... What is so extraordinary and special about the Mona Lisa? It's a painting of a woman. In a regular size frame--more like a stamp of a frame. What's the big deal?

by Anonymousreply 10November 12, 2018 2:34 PM

R9, it's not always about you, Babs

by Anonymousreply 11November 12, 2018 2:35 PM

What's the difference between a veranda, a lenai, and a porch? Are they the same thing and the different names is just a cultural thing?

by Anonymousreply 12November 12, 2018 2:38 PM

Do all Lesbians scissor regularly or is it something they only so for special occasions, like holidays?

by Anonymousreply 13November 12, 2018 2:41 PM

If someone is a power bottom does that mean that they grind and undulate their ass aggressively while being fucked?

by Anonymousreply 14November 12, 2018 2:48 PM

[quote]Who said that there was no such thing as a stupid question?

Well, that's a stupid question.

by Anonymousreply 15November 12, 2018 2:52 PM

Why does the sun go on shining?

Why does the sea rush to shore?

by Anonymousreply 16November 12, 2018 2:53 PM

R10, this something you can definitely google. There were a number of revolutionary things about the portrait: the overall composition, the three-quarter view of the subject , the background and the expression on her face. I read an article about it a long time ago, but I don't remember the details.

by Anonymousreply 17November 12, 2018 2:55 PM

No, R8, that dog would need an interpreter. Now, I have a question for you. If a tree fell in the woods but no one was there to hear it, does it still make a sound? haha

by Anonymousreply 18November 12, 2018 3:12 PM

Did Jenner cut his junk off?

by Anonymousreply 19November 12, 2018 3:14 PM

[quote]If a wild animal, let's say a lion, kills, mauls, and devours a human, why is it so urgent that the animal be found and killed?

Man-eater is a colloquial term for an individual animal that preys on humans as a pattern of hunting behavior. This does not include the scavenging of corpses, a single attack born of opportunity or desperate hunger, or the incidental eating of a human that the animal has killed in self-defense. However, all three cases (especially the last two) may habituate an animal to eating human flesh or to attacking humans, and may foster the development of man-eating behavior. (they'll like the taste!)

Although human beings can be attacked by many kinds of animals, man-eaters are those that have incorporated human flesh into their usual diet and actively hunt and kill humans. Most reported cases of man-eaters have involved lions, tigers, leopards, and crocodilians. However, they are by no means the only predators that will attack humans if given the chance; a wide variety of species have also been known to adopt humans as usual prey, including bears, Komodo dragons and hyenas.

by Anonymousreply 20November 12, 2018 3:29 PM

How much wood WOULD a woodchuck chuck?

If a woodchuck could, indeed, chuck wood.

by Anonymousreply 21November 12, 2018 3:31 PM

If he still has one, does Jacob Tobia expect someone to suck his dick?

by Anonymousreply 22November 12, 2018 3:33 PM

Before anyone asks, it's the egg that came first.

Chickens are a descendant of dinosaurs, who hatched from eggs.

The answer is egg. Egg.

by Anonymousreply 23November 12, 2018 3:43 PM

Why Do Some People Say "Soda" and Others Say "Pop?"

and

Why so southerners call all soft drinks 'Coke'

by Anonymousreply 24November 12, 2018 3:47 PM

How did Daffyd Thomas become Meredith Talusan?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 12, 2018 3:48 PM

Why can't you see this boat is sinking

(this boat is sinking this boat is sinking)

by Anonymousreply 26November 12, 2018 3:48 PM

Does the Honey Badger really not give a fuck? (watch this vid if you've never seen it before - it's ICONIC)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27November 12, 2018 3:51 PM

Why do people still kill, butcher, and eat animals?

by Anonymousreply 28November 12, 2018 3:51 PM

R26 Whyyyyyyyy

yyyyyyyyyyyyyy

yyyyyyyyyyyyyy

yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

by Anonymousreply 29November 12, 2018 3:56 PM

[quote]Did Jenner cut his junk off?

A much better look...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30November 12, 2018 4:03 PM

Why does a favorable earnings report often make a stock's price tumble?

by Anonymousreply 31November 12, 2018 4:26 PM

Okay: You always hear how everyone eats chicken but you never hear anybody eating rooster. What happens to the roosters? Do they only slaughter the chickens? And the eggs we eat in our omelettes, etc, are there roosters in the there too? I'm a successful professional in my late 40's with a couple of Masters (though none in science, obviously) but always been too afraid to ask, Help!

by Anonymousreply 32November 12, 2018 4:35 PM

Why does time fly and I have to walk?

by Anonymousreply 33November 12, 2018 4:39 PM

Do people under the age of 30 know how to write in cursive/script? Can they read it?

by Anonymousreply 34November 12, 2018 4:44 PM

@R32: Both male and female chickens are used to produce chicken meat. ... Unlike the case for the egg industry, where only hens are required to lay the eggs that are sold for human consumption, both male and female meat chickens can be and are grown for meat and are equally valued by the chicken meat industry.

by Anonymousreply 35November 12, 2018 4:46 PM

@[R35]: Forgot about the hens. Guess it was a pretty stupid question. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 36November 12, 2018 4:49 PM

Indeed, r35.

by Anonymousreply 37November 12, 2018 4:51 PM

Why does it now take so long to release a record/CD. In the 50's & 60's singers and singing groups were issuing new music in what seemed like every other month. NOW, it takes YEARS!

by Anonymousreply 38November 12, 2018 4:53 PM

"There's n o such thing as a stupid question, however, there are a lot of inquisitive idiots."

by Anonymousreply 39November 12, 2018 5:09 PM

[quote]Can animals learn different languages? Let's say a dog was born in France and is now 3 years old. All the dog has ever heard were human voices that spoke french. The American cousin comes to visit, (or the dog travels to the USA), would the dog understand any english?

Dogs don't understand language. Dogs recognize words.

There's a difference.

When you name a dog and use that name to call it, the dog will come to that name. If the dog is given to another family, who changes the dog's name, it will eventually learn to come to that new name.

The same can be said for languages. If a dog is taught in Spanish, or German, or French, it understands only the words used as commands, not the language those words come from. American police and guard dogs are often trained using German commands. This eliminates the possibility that someone else may order the dog to do something, like attack. But they might also be trained to "beg" or "fetch" in English. They don't understand the difference between the languages, just that one sound used by the trainer means "attack", while the other means "go get your ball".

Dogs are capable of learning new commands all the time, and retraining using new words, or a new name, is possible, regardless of what language they're in.

by Anonymousreply 40November 12, 2018 5:16 PM

R28 "Look at that sleepy fuck!"

R32 Roosters are eaten in other places, but are not as well loved as chickens because they are tougher. They get put into soups and stews a lot. "Cock Soup" is something you can buy in a packet to cook on the stove.

by Anonymousreply 41November 12, 2018 5:18 PM

[quote]Before anyone asks, it's the egg that came first. Chickens are a descendant of dinosaurs, who hatched from eggs. The answer is egg. Egg.

Okay then, which came first, the dinosaur or the egg?

by Anonymousreply 42November 12, 2018 5:19 PM

[quote]Okay then, which came first, the dinosaur or the egg?

Egg.

Reproduction is a necessary precursor to mutation and evolution. The dinosaur would have been the result of millions of evolutionary changes before what we recognize as a dinosaur would have come into existence. While reproductive adaptation would likely also have been occurring, it would have been the result, not the cause, of the underlying evolution of the animal.

If the "egg" were a required adaptation, evolution would not have occurred to create the dinosaur.

by Anonymousreply 43November 12, 2018 5:31 PM

I learned something today. Thanks, egg scholars.

by Anonymousreply 44November 12, 2018 5:36 PM

* I will also answer to Mensa Member Geena Davis

by Anonymousreply 45November 12, 2018 5:37 PM

When a tree falls in the forest and there's nobody there to hear it, the tree cries "Mary!"

by Anonymousreply 46November 12, 2018 5:53 PM

[quote]"Cock Soup" is something you can buy in a packet to cook on the stove.

Shit, with a little lube and five minutes I can get it for free.

by Anonymousreply 47November 12, 2018 6:03 PM

Why do rich people still strive to get richer when all the data and empirical studies have proven that once you surpass a certain income, money cannot make you happier?

by Anonymousreply 48November 12, 2018 6:18 PM

Ie. billionaires are no happier than millionaires

by Anonymousreply 49November 12, 2018 6:19 PM

And you don’t need to be a millionaire or at least not a multi-millionaire to be happy.

I can cite sources on this fact if you need them.

by Anonymousreply 50November 12, 2018 6:20 PM

[quote]Why do rich people still strive to get richer when all the data and empirical studies have proven that once you surpass a certain income, money cannot make you happier?

Because the value and meaning of money changes as one travels up Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.

It ceases to be the basis for the acquisition of goods and services; rather, it satisfies superordinate needs for other things, including safety, security, and these days, score keeping. The last point explains cheetollini's need to inflate his wealth.

by Anonymousreply 51November 12, 2018 6:24 PM

What explains his need to inflate his gut r51?

by Anonymousreply 52November 12, 2018 6:25 PM

Gluttony.

by Anonymousreply 53November 12, 2018 6:43 PM

Why do fools fall in love?

R21 Chuck means throw in British English ; “Chuck that empty can in the rubbish”.

by Anonymousreply 54November 12, 2018 6:53 PM

Baltics & Balkans; what's the difference? - Asking for a friend.

by Anonymousreply 55November 12, 2018 7:00 PM

Why does poop smell the way it does?

by Anonymousreply 56November 12, 2018 7:01 PM

What smelly poop? My shit don't stink, though it really, really YUGE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57November 12, 2018 7:11 PM

What the HELL is the song "MacArthur Park" about????

"Someone left the cake out in the rain

I don't think that I can take it

'Cause it took so long to bake it

And I'll never have that recipe again

Oh no!"

WHAT????

by Anonymousreply 58November 12, 2018 10:34 PM

What was the name of the very first datalounge thread?

by Anonymousreply 59November 12, 2018 11:17 PM

R59 Dost mine pussay stinketh? By Cheryl, Cuntess Malodor.

by Anonymousreply 60November 12, 2018 11:40 PM

What is the criteria regarding approved names at Monday Morning Moos.

Cows are severely vetted, but any old raggedy hen can get in.

What gives?

by Anonymousreply 61November 12, 2018 11:48 PM

Me too, Excedrin, me too.

by Anonymousreply 62November 12, 2018 11:50 PM

why are other people's dreams so boring to hear?

by Anonymousreply 63November 12, 2018 11:52 PM

[quote]why are other people's dreams so boring to hear?

Because the majority of people are not naturally good storytellers. They rarely structure their retelling of dreams in a manner consistent with effective storytelling. As such, while vivid for the actual dreamer, the retelling lacks virtually all of what gave it any emotional resonance during the dream.

Finally, you're a bit self-centered and aren't really interested in other people. Admit it.

by Anonymousreply 64November 12, 2018 11:57 PM

Does human breast milk taste like cow's milk? Have any of you ever tasted it as an adult?

by Anonymousreply 65November 13, 2018 12:01 AM

I read this question once, how can a person who was born blind be gay?

by Anonymousreply 66November 13, 2018 12:03 AM

Why are straight me so stupid?

by Anonymousreply 67November 13, 2018 12:08 AM

What's the difference between an IRA and a Roth IRA, and why is it called a "Roth IRA" and not an "RRA" or something?

by Anonymousreply 68November 13, 2018 12:20 AM

Tebow... still chaste?

by Anonymousreply 69November 13, 2018 12:28 AM

Who are the idiots that own CAPTCHA?

The CAPTCHA is incorrect. Please try again.

Fuck you - it is correct, air circulation vents are not chimneys, nor can I read minds, and determine whether the black edge of a traffic light in the next square should count or not. For two of many examples. And why do they require one do sometimes up to 12 captcha's to access a site? Do they get paid by the number that are filled in? One will determine that you are not a bot. Have the idiots at CAPTCHA not figured it would be in their best interests to scan 'incorrect' picture captchas to determine where THEY screwed up?

by Anonymousreply 70November 13, 2018 12:33 AM

Why can't Datalounge ban or at least permanently identify the posters with mental illness?

by Anonymousreply 71November 13, 2018 12:34 AM

R71 - And then all you'd you hear are crickets?

by Anonymousreply 72November 13, 2018 12:46 AM

When the U.S. government has a financial deficit or we owe other countries money, why can't we just have the Treasury Dept print a bunch of money for the purpose of getting us out of debt?

by Anonymousreply 73November 13, 2018 12:57 AM

What is the evolutionary purpose of stupid people?

by Anonymousreply 74November 13, 2018 12:58 AM

[quote]What's the difference between an IRA and a Roth IRA, and why is it called a "Roth IRA" and not an "RRA" or something?

Roth IRAs are named for the a Senator who introduced the legislation that created them.

And before you ask, it's called a 401K for the section of the tax code that created the tax deferred accounts in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 75November 13, 2018 1:16 AM

No r72, he’d still hear the voices in his head.

by Anonymousreply 76November 13, 2018 1:18 AM

What's the biggest dick you've taken?

by Anonymousreply 77November 13, 2018 1:23 AM

R70, I too hate dealing with Captchas. I'm always guessing exactly how much of a stoplight or a sign needs to be included in the box to click on it.

by Anonymousreply 78November 13, 2018 1:43 AM

Would it be the lactose in milk or the hormones indirectly added to non-organic milk, through cow feed and injections, which makes people believe that they're allergic to dairy?

Likewise it's other things added to cheap bread and bakery products rather than the gluten factor which makes many people sick.

by Anonymousreply 79November 13, 2018 1:47 AM

Why are some gay men so extremely angry at almost all women? What's with the need to put the opposite sex down so consistently? By the way I really disliked both of my parents as a child but also had many positive relationships with male and female adults, such as my friends' parents who were very kind and encouraging.

by Anonymousreply 80November 13, 2018 1:50 AM

To simplify it R68, Roth contributions are made with post tax contributions and normal IRAs are made pre tax. The withdrawals are taxed the opposite (no tax - generally - for Roth withdrawals). It really depends on what your tax situation is going to be in retirement to see which is better. If you are going to be in a high tax bracket even in retirement, then the Roth might be better.

Otherwise R75 said the rest.

by Anonymousreply 81November 13, 2018 1:52 AM

[quote]Why are some gay men so extremely angry at almost all women?

Shoes.

Many cute pumps are unavailable in larger sizes...

by Anonymousreply 82November 13, 2018 1:59 AM

R80 - Why do gay men treat me as an equal, and not a princess, like the straight men who want to fuck me, do?

Fixed that for you. . .

by Anonymousreply 83November 13, 2018 2:02 AM

When did Data Lounge become so racist and why are Conservative straights trolling?Are they really gay and in the closet?Or are they just pretending (laughs with snort)to socialize on a gay site as they fantasize about gay men/women's issues? If your not gay...why are you here?Subjecting us upstanding gays to you misogynistic, hate daily?Don't you have better things to do in your "straight"world?

by Anonymousreply 84November 13, 2018 2:05 AM

R84, I certainly don't hate gays anymore than I hate Blacks or millenials. The vast majority of threads are fascinating to me, including this one. Furthermore I was raised to be extremely naive about men and I've learned so much reading on DL. I wish I could ask more questions but I know they would be deemed by some to be impolite and/or improper.

I've tried to contribute valuable info to some threads as well, providing links like to the discussion of gay life in the Wild, Wild West. When I go to sites with mostly straights, I'm always correcting their misconceptions about homosexuality sharing info I've learned on DL. Prejudice and even hatred is often due to serious misinformation.

by Anonymousreply 85November 13, 2018 2:12 AM

[quote]Conservative straights trolling?Are they really gay and in the closet?

R84, I recall a thread here maybe a year ago that asked straight people to come out of the darkness and to tell us why they were here. The thread received a nice amount of replies and a few were from straight men.

Two stuck in my mind. One was from a married straight woman who LOVES this site and talked about DL to her husband all of the time. In fact, she is on a mission to get him to post his junk on this site. The second, was from a straight male. He wrote; "Why should just you guys have all of the fun?" He was another lover of this site and is a devoted fan.

by Anonymousreply 86November 13, 2018 2:13 AM

R83, Actually in "real life" gay men tend to be more complimentary than straights, so given a choice I'd much prefer their strictly platonic company. This is particularly true in the acting world. I just wish there was an easy way to explain I'm not seeking anything more than casual conversation. Made the mistake once of visually admiring a PT's body. He didn't get that I wasn't trying to pick him up at all. Finally I teased him about all of his good friends begging for free advice.

Het men often come across as extremely crude, angry, especially after exchanging 2 lines of conversation which they started that I'm not interested in sleeping with them. Why would I?

by Anonymousreply 87November 13, 2018 2:21 AM

R84, Have you ever thought that DL's presentation of gorgeous men is extremely appealing to straight women? No, I'm not interested in sleeping with them, so I don't care whether or not they're gay or straight. The thread on the most appealing male models, all collected on the same thread, is primo visuals.

by Anonymousreply 88November 13, 2018 2:24 AM

Are Black barbers trained to cut white (or straight) hair? There is a barbershop close to my house that primarily serves a black male clientele. Also can white barbers cut black hair?

by Anonymousreply 89November 13, 2018 2:32 AM

That's actually a VERY GOOD question, R89. I would say yes, but at one time (not long ago) the answer would have been no. To my understanding, all stylists are now taught how to cut and style all sorts of hair.

I have a friend who is a top colorist in NYC. My former PA was a Black woman who loved his work. She wanted to have a consultation with him about her hair & cut but did not know if he could do Black hair. So, I asked my friend. I remember him being SO insulted that I even dared to ask him such a question! Anyway, since then I've asked a few stylists (Black and White) and yes, they know how to style hair for many races.

I also recall (and maybe it was a setup) that some news program showed Mike Pence getting a haircut by a Black barber.

by Anonymousreply 90November 13, 2018 2:39 AM

[quote] R8: Can animals learn different languages?

Of course. Just like a dog can learn that biscuit and cookie are the same thing, he can learn that scheisse is the same as shit. It takes them longer to learn the rules of grammar, to the extent that they can.

My German Shepherd used to fight with the other dog. Nothing could get him to stop, except yelling “Dad, call the dog”. My father would then call the dog, and he’d run. Eventually, we learned that we needed only to whisper this to the dog, and his ears would perk up, and he’d go looking for my father, who didn’t even needs to be home, for this to work. I don’t think the dog knew what the words literally meant, so the language is immaterial.

by Anonymousreply 91November 13, 2018 2:48 AM

How did my former cat learn how to open my bedroom door, and the one to the refrigerator? He was a very small cat, by the way.

by Anonymousreply 92November 13, 2018 2:51 AM

So many questions, so few answers.

by Anonymousreply 93November 13, 2018 3:09 AM

OP: Not a stupid question...Did Lee Harvey Oswald act alone?

by Anonymousreply 94November 13, 2018 3:13 AM

Will Donald Trump have a heart attack and die so we don't have to endure a possible second term?

by Anonymousreply 95November 13, 2018 3:14 AM

Thanks for the IRA/Roth IRA answers!

by Anonymousreply 96November 13, 2018 3:22 AM

R92 does your former cat now identify as a dog, did you have a falling out and he moved in with a neighbor or is he an ex cat like an ex parrot, gone to the choir invisible?

by Anonymousreply 97November 13, 2018 3:33 AM

R96, my theory is that it is wise to have a diversification of types of accounts. So, that means some money in a Roth IRA; some in a regular pre-tax IRA; some in a 401k; and some money in a brokerage account.

by Anonymousreply 98November 13, 2018 3:50 AM

R97, Sadly Mickey Katt Sr died of old age, well past 18 years old. Kitties can be superior to dogs as they don't need to be walked, and can obviously open the refrigerator door and feed themselves if need be. In his younger years, Mickey used to jump onto the washer & dryer so he could play with the door handle, until it loosened enough for him to open the tightly closed door.

by Anonymousreply 99November 13, 2018 3:54 AM

R94, There are multiple YouTube videos of confessions of the other parties to the crime of murder of JFK.

by Anonymousreply 100November 13, 2018 3:55 AM

Does a shot of brandy or rum really have a positive effect on colds and winter congestion?

Why don't Western doctors tell patients to eat curry-based dishes and tumeric and ginger for physical pain?

How many millions of stupid questions am I allowed to ask on this thread?

by Anonymousreply 101November 13, 2018 3:58 AM

Why can't gay men get into sports?

by Anonymousreply 102November 13, 2018 4:04 AM

[quote]Does a shot of brandy or rum really have a positive effect on colds and winter congestion?

Yes! There is some truth to that.

"Aside from the obvious benefits of mood improvement, increased body warmth, and ease of falling asleep that typically come with responsible drinking, alcohol can help by dilating blood vessels, which aids mucous membranes in dealing with infection. It’s not that the alcohol “combats the virus” per se, but rather can offer your body some help in getting the job done."

by Anonymousreply 103November 13, 2018 4:11 AM

[quote]Why don't Western doctors tell patients to eat curry-based dishes and tumeric and ginger for physical pain?

Kick-backs from the pharmacy companies.

by Anonymousreply 104November 13, 2018 4:13 AM

Why, oh why, oh why, do we pay taxes?

by Anonymousreply 105November 13, 2018 4:22 AM

Bit of a false economy there sweetie

by Anonymousreply 106November 13, 2018 4:34 AM

Great question r48. I’ve wondered that myself. Not sure I buy r51's answer, partially cuz unsure what superordinate means in that sentence (see below) and partially bc its more likely that the rich were greedy to begin with. Greed is not rational.

[quote]It ceases to be the basis for the acquisition of goods and services; rather, it satisfies superordinate needs for other things, including safety, security, and these days, score keeping.

by Anonymousreply 107November 13, 2018 4:40 AM

Why don't the children of Princess Caroline and Princess Stephanie of Monaco have royal titles? Caroline's children with Stefano Casaraghi , Andrea, Pierre and Charlotte are simply called by their first name and surname, e.g., Andrea Casaraghi, Charlotte Casaraghi, instead of Prince Andrea and Princess Charlotte. Likewise. Stephanie's son, Louis Ducruet, is not called Prince Louis.

These children of Caroline and Stephanie are like the children of Princess Anne without titles, Peter Phillips and Zara Phillips. Did Caroline and Stephanie's husband also decline titles as did Anne's first husband, Mark Phillips?

by Anonymousreply 108November 13, 2018 5:50 AM

Why are the children of Royals so spoiled and seemingly reckless? Were they introduced to drugs and partying at a young age? Also shocked to hear US and British boarding schools for the very elite tolerate so much wild behavior. Seems like there are so many young teenage alcoholics. How can they go on to be captains of industry and commerce?

by Anonymousreply 109November 13, 2018 5:59 AM

R84, the site has always been racist to a certain degree. Back in the 90s and 2000s, racist jokes weren't really seen as troubling as they are today. Every once in a while, somebody will post a thread from a long time ago, 1999 or 2002 or something, that they happen to copy, and the two or three times I've seen that over the years, the threads were always racist. One was nothing but jokes about Mexican laborers being lazy and when it was reposted it was touted as the height of hilarity.

For my part, I got here around 2004 or 2005, and it's been like this since I've been here.

That said, in 2008 we had an influx of trolls. There were a lot of the PUMA posters who were pretty obviously just right-wingers pretending to be Democrats, everyday racist trolls, lots of homophobia, lots of sexism, things like that. It definitely increased the racism on the site.

When our good donkey-faced friend at Breitbart showed up and started traveling along with his idiot unpaid interns, it got worse yet again.

Basically, racism went from being a lot of nasty stuff said supposedly in jest, to people being hateful and racist because this is an anonymous board and they can get away with it. Through it all, we always had Erna and AYB and a couple of others who are regulars who are also racist, anti-semitic, etc.

by Anonymousreply 110November 13, 2018 6:13 AM

I don't really have this question anymore, but it did take me more years of adulthood than I care to admit to figure out how some chicken eggs had baby chicks inside them and some just had breakfast inside them.

by Anonymousreply 111November 13, 2018 11:00 AM

Those who know Atlanta history of 100+ years ago know that the premier barbershop in downtown Atlanta near the state capital was owned by a black entrepreneur who staffed it with black barbers.

Many of the white lawmakers plus the city's movers and shakers got their haircuts at his multi-chaired parlor.

by Anonymousreply 112November 13, 2018 11:23 AM

Read this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113November 13, 2018 11:26 AM

R99 Mickey sounds adorable, apologies if my flippancy was hurtful.

by Anonymousreply 114November 13, 2018 11:39 AM

It appears as if this thread is a success.

Thank you.

Enjoy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115November 13, 2018 11:46 AM

[quote] R2: Sorry, but you are not pretty enough to work at my company.

I once interviewed at a company with two different guys who were each at least 300 lbs. Maybe 400. I couldn’t take the job for various reasons, but I also imagined lunchtime, and thought it would be a daily ... uncomfortableness.

by Anonymousreply 116November 13, 2018 11:59 AM

[qoute]What's the difference between a veranda, a lenai, and a porch? Are they the same thing and the different names is just a cultural thing?

A veranda or verandah may be a large porch that's a room for entertaining or it may be a gallery running along one or more sides of the home, roofed, perhaps with a railing. ... A lanai is less frequently defined, and often as a roofed porch or verandah. Actually it's the Hawaiian word for patio or balcony.

by Anonymousreply 117November 13, 2018 12:14 PM

Why does eating pancakes make me fart so much? I mean, WAY more than beans and other fart-provoking foods. The end result (ha ha!) of a pancake feast always turns out to be loud, obnoxious, and extremely unpleasant for those around me. And we're not talking a lot of pancakes—just two is enough to summon the rectal demons.

I'm not complaining about this in the least; I just want to know why pancakes are so fartine.

by Anonymousreply 118November 13, 2018 6:11 PM

Eat some Beano, Dope-o

by Anonymousreply 119November 13, 2018 6:24 PM

[quote]Eat some Beano, Dope-o

No, I don't want to STOP exhuming the dinner corpse, I just want to know why pancakes majorly trigger such dramatic butt yodeling.

by Anonymousreply 120November 13, 2018 6:32 PM

R92, My cat learned how to open my bathroom door by watching me push the handle down. She can't open the doors with round door knobs, though she has tried (by pushing them down).

by Anonymousreply 121November 13, 2018 6:56 PM

[quote] Why, oh why, oh why, do we pay taxes?

To pay for the interstate highway system; the public library; the sewage treatment plant; the Center for Disease Control and Prevention; the public parks; fireman; NASA; the military, including nukes; the police; and more.

The higher tax locals such as California; Massachusetts; and New York City have a higher quality of life, compared to the lower tax states, such as Texas, Florida, and Wyoming. Have you noticed the roads in Florida?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122November 13, 2018 7:06 PM

Do you lose your virginity after oral sex?

by Anonymousreply 123November 13, 2018 7:07 PM

You have celiac disease, r120. Won’t be long now. I don’t want your stuff.

by Anonymousreply 124November 13, 2018 7:09 PM

What's the difference between bisexuality, pansexuality, and omnisexuality?

by Anonymousreply 125November 13, 2018 7:09 PM

Waist size r125. The bigger they are the lower the bar.

(By and large, most pink hair warriors are bi and large)

by Anonymousreply 126November 13, 2018 7:11 PM

[quote] R56: Why does poop smell the way it does?

Good question. Poop smells that way to keep animals from eating it, because it’s toxic and mostly non-nutritious. Erna, note well! The smell is probably from sulfur compounds. Sulfur compounds also give onions and garlic it’s smell, IIRC.

by Anonymousreply 127November 13, 2018 7:11 PM

[quote] R61: What is the criteria regarding approved names at Monday Morning Moos. Cows are severely vetted, but any old raggedy hen can get in. What gives?

Firstly, Excedrin, you dropped a question mark after “Moos”. It’s very distracting. Now, I refer you to the following post from 5/7/18:

[quote] I think the best test as to whether a name is suitable for a cow is if you can imagine a ten year old boy on the front stoop of a 1940s farm house, in black-and-white, natch, calling out “Desszz-moond!” That one seems to work find.

Do you think “Tiffany” meets this test? … Well do you? … No, I didn’t think so. That’s an informal rule of thumb. The official test is that the name must be in the Big Book of Names (unabridged), unless a waiver is obtained by the cow conclave.

Another informal rule of thumb is that names of 19th century prostitutes are usually okay. Dolly, Lottie, Nellie and so forth. Flowers, as well, such as Petunia, Daisy, etc., are generally okay. Not Carnation though. We get that one all the time, and it always gets kicked back.

As for chickens, do they look like they have standards? No, they don’t. I’m sorry, but they just don’t.

by Anonymousreply 128November 13, 2018 7:38 PM

WTF does WHET stand for?

by Anonymousreply 129November 13, 2018 7:49 PM

[quote] R73: When the U.S. government has a financial deficit or we owe other countries money, why can't we just have the Treasury Dept print a bunch of money for the purpose of getting us out of debt?

When Bill Clinton ran a surplus, the Fed Chairman stated that paying off all the debt would be a bad thing for various reasons, including that a lot of finance depends on referencing the interest rate of treasury bonds, like mortgages. In any event, we’ve had debt for decades and it hasn’t hurt anything. As long as it doesn’t run away, out of control.

As for printing more money, that would devalue the currency. More notes would mean they have less value. This would lead to massive inflation. It’s been tried before (particularly in Germany in the 1920s, and in Zimbabwe and Argentina, and it is always a disaster.) This leads to people needing wheelbarrow to carry money to buy groceries. If you get mugged, they won’t take the cash, they’ll take the wheelbarrow.

by Anonymousreply 130November 13, 2018 7:51 PM

WHET means “whatever happened to”... it was a typo long ago, and people think it’s cute to repeat it.

by Anonymousreply 131November 13, 2018 7:52 PM

[quote] R74: What is the evolutionary purpose of stupid people?

Think of it this way: “stupid” is normal, and “smart” is the exception. Under evolutionary conditions, we would continue to get smarter and smarter over generations. Because we developed compassion, we stopped evolving improved intelligence. We don’t stop stupid people from reproducing. We might even be devolving, because intelligent people generally have fewer children than stupid people. This would take many generations to have any effect on the general population, though.

by Anonymousreply 132November 13, 2018 8:05 PM

CAPTCHA Trolll: I think you are asked to do more than one CAPTCHA if you fail at the previous one. That’s a guess. Yes, they are hard, but easier than deciphering the warped letters thingie. They even seem to be getting harder. Often impossible.

by Anonymousreply 133November 13, 2018 8:13 PM

"Do you have any Yankees (team) stuff?"

by Anonymousreply 134November 13, 2018 8:19 PM

Why do fools fall in love?

by Anonymousreply 135November 13, 2018 8:19 PM

Why oh why, oh why-o

Why did we ever leave Ohio?

by Anonymousreply 136November 13, 2018 8:21 PM

[quote] Why do the rich continue to strive to get richer?

I think this was answered, in perhaps too fancy language. Here’s my answer:

For security, against setbacks.

Once you have children, you never have enough money, because there is always someone to give it to.

Greed, of course.

People like to be useful. To create and build something. For example, I will confess that I like doing my taxes. Why? Because I like to exercise my brain so as to do better than just doing them without thinking (I paid $0 federal taxes last year.)

Successful people generally enjoy working. Sometimes it is a lack of hobbies. Once you’ve worked for many years, and are older, it’s easier to keep working. You’re too old to climb mountains, etc.

John D. Rockefeller told his children to make as much money as fast as they could, then give it away, as fast as they could. He got upset with his daughter for not giving away the money he gave her, quickly enough.

by Anonymousreply 137November 13, 2018 8:29 PM

r137 I think after a certain high level, it's not about money per se. It's the same type of acquisition, but we can't conceive of the rules. It's like the middle/upper middle class suburban competitions over children's parties, car type, tech, brand names, etc. but on a different scale. "Where is your summer house?" becomes "Where are your properties in Europe?"

by Anonymousreply 138November 13, 2018 8:40 PM

Mariel?

by Anonymousreply 139November 13, 2018 9:34 PM

Mariel...............Muriel

Does Mariel Hemingway run Datalounge?

by Anonymousreply 140November 13, 2018 9:35 PM

R135 when you find out let r54 know.

by Anonymousreply 141November 13, 2018 11:11 PM

Oh for god's sake. The taxes question was Eddie's final argument in her trial for a parking ticket. Hasn’t anybody around here watched Absolutely Fabulous? Has anyone even heard of AbFab?

So much for recondite pop culture references.

by Anonymousreply 142November 13, 2018 11:16 PM

Yes R142

Which is why I posted Eddie’s Line to Saffy regarding the whole fiasco “ bit of a false economy there sweetie “right below it.

by Anonymousreply 143November 13, 2018 11:39 PM

Did Anthony Hopkins really attend fisting parties in L.A in the late 90s?

by Anonymousreply 144November 14, 2018 12:15 AM

Do horses ever bite people?

by Anonymousreply 145November 14, 2018 12:17 AM

Where do babies come from?

by Anonymousreply 146November 14, 2018 12:17 AM

R145, ask Matthew Broderick.

by Anonymousreply 147November 14, 2018 12:18 AM

r10 It's actually a self-portrait of the artist. You see, this non-binary effort was to be the wave of the future.

by Anonymousreply 148November 14, 2018 12:22 AM

Is old man smell because old men are decaying from the inside?

Also, poop smells because of bacteria. Same with pus.

by Anonymousreply 149November 14, 2018 12:23 AM

As for old man smell, if it’s his apartment, it’s because he’s not cleaning. If it’s him, it’s probably because he’s not bathing or washing his clothes enough.

by Anonymousreply 150November 14, 2018 12:28 AM

That is hardly a reason to steal a crate of champagne, r143.

by Anonymousreply 151November 14, 2018 12:49 AM

Human breastmilk tastes incredibly sweet. My daughter who nursed until nearly age 3 said it tastes like strawberry milk,that artificial over-sweetened concoction. Try that if you really want to know.

I finally tried a couple drops from what I kept in the fridge and the amount of sugar was startling for such a tiny amount—more than you’d find in 2 drops of Coke or Sprite I’d say.

No wonder they scream for it.

by Anonymousreply 152November 14, 2018 1:08 AM

Thanks r130.

by Anonymousreply 153November 14, 2018 1:22 AM

r152 I wonder if the amount of sugar in a womans diet has any effect on how sweet her breast milk is?

by Anonymousreply 154November 14, 2018 1:28 AM

Yes they do, r145, and it hurts like hell!

by Anonymousreply 155November 14, 2018 1:30 AM

My sis in law had a pepperoni pizza, and the kid didn’t like the milk as a result.

by Anonymousreply 156November 14, 2018 1:32 AM

R121, Didn't realize that Mickey Katt Sr could be so visually observant. Quite simple for him to open a door, as long as there was something tall next to it so that he could be the correct height and reach the door knob. Then he'd play with it, trying to turn the knob with his paw until it loosened. Then he'd jump down, and reach under the door with his paw, pulling as hard as he could.

He was a very small cat but easily bored. I always regretted I could never find anyone at the time to set up a camera to fill his antics.

by Anonymousreply 157November 14, 2018 4:31 AM

Do artists really have more unusual fetishes than the rest of the human population?

Would it be true that there's more cases of incest among the super religious?

What's the most unusual sexual kink that you've ever heard?

Vice has a video of the normal rite of passage among young teen boys in a small town in very Catholic Brazil. Sex with the local donkey.

by Anonymousreply 158November 14, 2018 4:42 AM

Why are the I (eye) and l (el) the same character on a computer? Like, really?

by Anonymousreply 159November 14, 2018 3:02 PM

What happened to the cent symbol and why don't people use it anymore?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160November 14, 2018 3:08 PM

[quote] Why are the I (eye) and l (el) the same character on a computer? Like, really?

On my old electric typewriter, circa 1980, there was no 1 (“one”) key. When you needed a 1, you used the l key (“el”). It was a way of saving space on a compact keyboard.

As for your question, that’s a matter of the font you use. Choose a different font, and they will look different. Even if they appear identical to you, the computer knows they are different characters, so an address for 341 Elm and 34l Elm will not be confused by the computer.

by Anonymousreply 161November 14, 2018 3:15 PM

R160, I use it!

On an Apple mobile device, press and hold the “$” key. You’ll see various other currency symbols that you can use.

¢

by Anonymousreply 162November 14, 2018 3:18 PM

[quote]Why are the I (eye) and l (el) the same character on a computer? Like, really?

They aren't.

The particular font you're using is what makes them similar in appearance - most likely a sans serif font (helvetica, arial, calibri). Different fonts have wide differences in how those characters appear - more notable in the more stylized and serif fonts (Times Roman).

Courier, a serif font that was frequently used on old style typewriters, is an exception that produces results like you describe.

by Anonymousreply 163November 14, 2018 3:26 PM

What is considered normal bowel movement?

There are people who go once a day and then there are people who go only every 3 or 4 days. Is something wrong with the 3 or 4 day goers?

by Anonymousreply 164November 14, 2018 6:05 PM

There is a wide variety of normal when it comes to bowel movements.

Diet gurus and people with weird agendas will insist they what’s right but doctors generally say those are all normal., from what I’ve heard.

by Anonymousreply 165November 14, 2018 10:44 PM

R164 - Once every 3 or 4 days? Is on their parents a sloth?

by Anonymousreply 166November 14, 2018 10:48 PM

Yes, the taste of human breast milk varies based on diet, the age of the baby, and frequency of nursing. They recommend you avoid certain foods like garlic for that reason but I never did. Also, I don’t think I ate all that much sugar while nursing except right after giving birth since I had a box of chocolates.

Kids are apparently conditioned to consume sugar because they put so many damn things in their mouth and sweet things in nature are generally not poisonous so it’s a protective instinct.

Breastmilk takes on a less appealing and almost sour flavor when you get pregnant, presumably to force the kid to wean so the new baby can nurse instead.

Not sure what impact tandem nursing might have on the flavor, but I’d assume the taste and nutritional composition would be biased towards the newborn as opposed to the toddler since the mother’s hormones change a lot before and after giving birth.

by Anonymousreply 167November 14, 2018 10:51 PM

And in case you were wondering, breastfeeding a toddler or preschooler is pretty much like breastfeeding a chimpanzee.

by Anonymousreply 168November 14, 2018 10:53 PM

Back to the poo question.

Tons of animals eat poo. Dogs love the smell of it so it’s got to have something going for it., nutrition at the very least.

I have asked neuroscientists why (I used to hang out with them and even married one), but no one had a good answer.

And there ain’t no funds to conduct a study on it.

by Anonymousreply 169November 14, 2018 10:58 PM

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?

by Anonymousreply 170November 14, 2018 11:17 PM

[quote]Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?

EASY!

Just like me they long to be close to you.

by Anonymousreply 171November 14, 2018 11:31 PM

R169, I think dogs use the smell of it to identify others. I’m not convinced that they “love” it.

by Anonymousreply 172November 15, 2018 1:06 AM

[quote]Why do the rich continue to strive to get richer?

How did the Vanderbilts lose all of their money?

by Anonymousreply 173November 15, 2018 1:44 AM

[quote]How did the Vanderbilts lose all of their money?

Unlike many European families that used some form of primogeniture to distribute wealth, The Commodore had 13 children. While he left specific sums of money to the daughters and his wife, as well as a small income for one son, his wealth was still divided among sons who became the Gilded Age rich who built the grand houses and spent it all on lavish lifestyles and bad investments.

He also donated large sums of money for things like Vandebilt University and other philanthropy.

Essentially, too many heirs who were wastrels frittered away the rest of the money. It wouldn't take too many generations, each having only a few kids to create an enormous brood of descendants, all of whom divided ever-shrinking slices of the pie.

by Anonymousreply 174November 15, 2018 1:57 AM

I've only heard this once, and only from one person, but is it true that there are actors who pay money to get roles in some productions?

by Anonymousreply 175November 15, 2018 1:58 AM

THANKS, R174! Imagine having the Vanderbilt surname and you're poor?

by Anonymousreply 176November 15, 2018 2:00 AM

I have a question!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177November 15, 2018 2:00 AM

[quote]THANKS, [R174]! Imagine having the Vanderbilt surname and you're poor?

Besides Gloria, I think there may be only 1 or 2 living relatives whose last name is still Vanderbilt. There's one Vanderbilt who is a screen writer I remember reading.

Otherwise, the remaining Vanderbilt descendants don't carry the name - people like Timothy Olyphant or Anderson Cooper.

by Anonymousreply 178November 15, 2018 2:17 AM

r175 I think there are actors who put up their own money to make a passion project film in which they may or may not star in.

by Anonymousreply 179November 15, 2018 2:22 AM

Isn't the Thanksgiving Otter overdue? I’m paying almost $2 a month for this and I expect satisfaction.

by Anonymousreply 180November 15, 2018 3:33 AM

A similar question: how did the Edisons lose all their money?

by Anonymousreply 181November 15, 2018 3:48 AM

Did you know the GE was founded by Edison?

by Anonymousreply 182November 15, 2018 3:52 AM

[quote]A similar question: how did the Edisons lose all their money?

I don't really think that they had money--relatively speaking. Thomas Edison was only worth $12MM when he died.

by Anonymousreply 183November 15, 2018 4:11 AM

Why are there so many different shapes of pasta?

by Anonymousreply 184November 15, 2018 12:55 PM

Why are there so many songs about rainbows and what’s on the other side ?

by Anonymousreply 185November 15, 2018 7:22 PM

Why are so many songs using so many double negatives?

by Anonymousreply 186November 15, 2018 8:31 PM

I ain’t don’t know what you is talkin bout

by Anonymousreply 187November 15, 2018 8:34 PM

r169 if dogs love the smell of poo, then why does the smell of it in their own cage help to potty-train them when they are young?

by Anonymousreply 188November 15, 2018 9:31 PM

Why do Brits have separate hot and cold water taps and why do they say "drink driving"?

by Anonymousreply 189November 16, 2018 12:05 AM

R189, that’s the way taps were in the US, too, back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 190November 16, 2018 1:28 AM

Why does it seem that pretty much everyone can agree on ugly, but when people post a picture here of someone they think is hot, it takes about 2 seconds for someone to tell them they are crazy if they think that person is hot?

by Anonymousreply 191November 16, 2018 1:47 AM

Why do the ultra rich keep trying to get richer?

It is like keeping score to them, after a certain point of wealth. As long as they are getting more wealthy than they were last year they feel like they are winning.

by Anonymousreply 192November 16, 2018 1:49 AM

[quote]but when people post a picture here of someone they think is hot, it takes about 2 seconds for someone to tell them they are crazy if they think that person is hot?

Beauty is, and has always been in the eyes of the beholder. So, what you might consider hot may not be hot for another.

by Anonymousreply 193November 16, 2018 12:13 PM

R193 - But this forum is at times, baffling, in what is seen as beauty. Is it a case of 1's and 2's finding 3's and 4's, hot? Aged, homely, pudgy, hairy men are adored on here. Someone actually mentioned how much he'd like to 'do' Ed Asner. . .

by Anonymousreply 194November 16, 2018 4:14 PM

Are ugly people attractive to each other? I've often wondered that when I see a fugly couple in love, thinking "ahh, that's sweet they found each other." But are only with the other because they know their options are severely limited?

by Anonymousreply 195November 16, 2018 4:18 PM

When was the last person who starved to death in the US? Not including those who died as a result of someone with mental health issues. I mean, due to a bad harvest, or just plain poverty? TY.

by Anonymousreply 196November 16, 2018 7:49 PM

R195, Many "ugly on the outside" people aren't super focused on the visual aspects of standard beauty.

by Anonymousreply 197November 16, 2018 7:52 PM

Haha, I love how people around here assume beauty gives you an edge in getting love. Sex, maybe, but never love—not the real kind that lasts.

Plus, definitions of beauty are totally cultural and generational so it’s always about context anyways—eye of the beholder again.

by Anonymousreply 198November 16, 2018 10:36 PM

[quote]When was the last person who starved to death in the US? Not including those who died as a result of someone with mental health issues. I mean, due to a bad harvest, or just plain poverty? TY.

Probably within the past 48 hours.

Death by malnutrition in the US is a surprisingly common problem - in terms of rates of death, it ranks lower than many countries people think are third world countries.

by Anonymousreply 199November 16, 2018 11:01 PM

Probably in the 18th century r199. Malnutrition may cause other diseases but, aside from anorexia and other mental health factors, starvation is not a cause of death in the West. We do have food insecurity here but there are too many other sources of food aid for actual starvation to occur.

by Anonymousreply 200November 17, 2018 3:35 AM

I would have guessed it was up about 1930, especially in Appalachia.

by Anonymousreply 201November 17, 2018 3:43 AM

[quote]Probably in the 18th century [R199]. Malnutrition may cause other diseases but, aside from anorexia and other mental health factors, starvation is not a cause of death in the West. We do have food insecurity here but there are too many other sources of food aid for actual starvation to occur.

You are incorrect.

According to recent statistics, the US ranks 120 out of 183 countries in terms of death rate by malnutrition (0.64 deaths per 100,000 people/age standardized).

"We do have food insecurity here but there are too many other sources of food aid for actual starvation to occur" - it is this faulty belief, contrary to actual data, that drives poor policy in the US.

by Anonymousreply 202November 17, 2018 3:44 AM

The nation having ample food does not equal people having ACCESS to ample food.

by Anonymousreply 203November 17, 2018 3:47 AM

What are those helmet things I see many toddlers wearing these days? It's not a full helmet, more like a half helmet. I never seen them before until this past year when I've seen multiple toddlers in public wearing them.

by Anonymousreply 204November 17, 2018 3:53 AM

Some hunk asked about the difference between breast milk and real milk...well,once when babysitting for my nephew who expressed milk for feeding it was kinda like green top milk, very watery

by Anonymousreply 205November 17, 2018 4:05 AM

I have a REALLY dumb question, it must be - I have sort of alluded to not knowing how it works in real life and people just kind of chuckle and don't answer so, clearly dumb.

When you work for a company and they take out money from your paycheck and also contribute to your retirement or do a... 401k(?) and then you leave. you work for a different company, where did the money go? it came out of your paycheck and the money they supposedly put in (in where?), do they get to keep the money?

by Anonymousreply 206November 17, 2018 4:14 AM

R206, there are two sources of money involved, and they are treated differently.

The money taken from your check stays in the 401k account. It always belongs to you. No one can take that from you.

As for the company matching money, if the money is “vested”, it belongs to you. If it is not vested, the company takes it back. It is determined to be vested or not by whatever the company’s rules are. Some companies consider the money vested immediately. Some will vest their conbution piecemeal over a five year period. Such as, 25% vested after 3 years, 50% after 4 years, and 100% after 5 years.

Now, when you leave the company, there are theee main things you can do. You can leave it at your old company, and they will hang on to it for you, until you come for it later. Or, you can “roll it over” into a 401k plan at your new employer. Or, you can roll it over into an IRA.

I always rolled my former 401k balance into my new company’s 401k. The only reason not to do that, is if your old plan has better investments than does your new plan.

So, if this happened to you, you may have money back in your old employer’s plan that belongs to you.

Oh, if your old 401k has a very small balance and you leave the company, they may make you take the money, rather than continue to hold it for you.

The people to ask are the benefits people at your current or former emoloyer.

by Anonymousreply 207November 17, 2018 4:29 AM

you know what r207? that was explained very well, thank you! I have changed jobs multiple times and no one ever it. but, now I know and will make sure to pay attention in the future.

by Anonymousreply 208November 17, 2018 4:39 AM

But if your company had a "safe harbor plan," that is vested immediately regardless of what the company's vesting rules are.

by Anonymousreply 209November 17, 2018 4:41 AM

Why are straight me so stupid?

by Anonymousreply 210November 17, 2018 4:48 AM

Is women "squirting" just piss or an intense spray of natural pussy lubricant? I've been with three women who did it and, I must say, it didn't really smell like urine.

by Anonymousreply 211November 17, 2018 3:24 PM

R211. It's urine.

by Anonymousreply 212November 18, 2018 5:10 AM

Am I alone in thinking this or are there others? Are there others, like me, when someone young dies suddenly and/or tragically think; "All that tuition money down the drain..."

[quote]An ER doctor, identified as Tamara O'Neal, and a pharmacist identified as 25-year-old Dayna Less, were also killed in the shooting. O'Neal was believed to be the intended target of the shooting; the gunman was her 32-year-old former fiancé. A friend said she remembered O'Neal as someone who had a big heart. She was one year out of her medical residency, and her family said she was very involved in her church and actively volunteered at school clinics.

Damn! She didn't even get a chance to spend the money real good...

by Anonymousreply 213November 20, 2018 1:29 PM

OH! And, ^^^^

[quote]Less had just graduated from Purdue University.

All of that money.... What a waste...

by Anonymousreply 214November 20, 2018 1:32 PM

R206, I have a homework assignment for you. I would like to ask you to contact HR at all your former employees where you had a 401k, and tell us if you discovered if you still have money with them. If so, I would transfer it via a “rollover” to your current employer, unless there is a particular reason not to. It’s easier to keep track if it’s all in one bucket. I’d just like to know how it turned out.

The three options I mentioned in R207 (to handle former employer 401k money) are all non-taxed events. There is a forth option, and that is to withdraw the money and keep it. Do this only if you are starving or facing eviction. It is always tempting and always a bad choice. Firstly, it is taxable like income; secondly, there is an additional 10% tax penalty; and thirdly, it robs your future-self of a more secure old age.

But I am curious if you find you have some money out there.

by Anonymousreply 215November 20, 2018 1:53 PM

Yes, r213, you are the only one.

No, I’m kidding, though I don’t think like that, maybe others do. Is it perhaps because that is your frame of reference, because you are dealing with tuition these days?

I tend to think it’s sad because they were just starting out in life, and hadn't really a chance to experience adulthood. To me, that starts at 30.

by Anonymousreply 216November 20, 2018 1:59 PM

If an alligator and shark got in a fight, who would win?

Also, where does that extra sock go? Is there a fourth dimension that opens in my dryer?

by Anonymousreply 217November 20, 2018 2:00 PM

Why are so many doughnut shops run by Cambodians and motels run by Indians?

by Anonymousreply 218November 21, 2018 12:53 AM

Why can't we eat grass and leaves? I mean, I know why we are unable -- we don't have the enzymes to digest them -- but why don't we have this ability? Our ape cousins can eat leaves. Can you imagine how much easier humans would have had it in the past if they were able to eat just about any plant?

by Anonymousreply 219November 21, 2018 2:10 AM

R219, I’d guess that we can’t, because we generally didn’t need to. Certainly people starve to death all the time, but the species survived perfectly well without this ability.

by Anonymousreply 220November 21, 2018 12:00 PM

Do lions, tigers, etc look at cats and wonder; "What happened here?" Do they get along with cats?

by Anonymousreply 221November 21, 2018 2:37 PM

[quote] Isn't the Thanksgiving Otter overdue? I’m paying almost $2 a month for this and I expect satisfaction.

Fuck wad of menstrual blood, read my reply from my dedicated thread:

[quote] Cut me some fucking slack, puss juice. I’ve been on a bender starting last Friday. Just woke up today on the bank of some unfamiliar stream and had to walk several miles to find my way home, puking and passing out along the way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222November 22, 2018 5:06 AM

What time is it?

by Anonymousreply 223November 22, 2018 5:14 AM

Should I tell the judge I did it?

by Anonymousreply 224November 22, 2018 5:17 AM

Why is poop brown (usually)?

by Anonymousreply 225November 22, 2018 6:35 AM

R225, the brown essentially comes from our red blood cells. When these cells become old and "poop out," these cells are broken down, and one breakdown product gets sent to the gut. Gut bacteria convert it to a yellow compound that makes our pee yellow. Other gut bacteria further convert some of this compound into one that is brown, causing our poop to be brown.

by Anonymousreply 226November 22, 2018 6:23 PM

So, how would Alexa respond if someone said that they were going to kill themself?

"Alexa! I'm going to kill myself!"

How would it respond?

by Anonymousreply 227November 23, 2018 5:25 PM

[QUOTE] So, how would Alexa respond if someone said that they were going to kill them self? "Alexa! I'm going to kill myself!" How would it respond?

"Can I have your stuff?"

by Anonymousreply 228November 23, 2018 10:05 PM

I’ve noticed there aren’t any punctuation-related questions as yet.

by Anonymousreply 229November 23, 2018 10:14 PM

What are some 'mindhacks' of getting the brain to work on puzzles and problems during sleep and relay the solutions to the alert mind upon awakening?

by Anonymousreply 230November 23, 2018 10:48 PM

R230, I think the guy who discovered the DNA structure had it come to him in a dream. Like most overnight sensations, it is usually preceded by years, if not a lifetime of study.

by Anonymousreply 231November 23, 2018 11:01 PM

r89. From what I understand, black barbers are easy with cutting and styling white hair but not true for most white barbers and black hair. White stylists tend to struggle with male and female black hair. That's why in places like Africa and the Caribbean you will see white men getting their hair cut by black barbers but local and foreign blacks in Europe or North America always make an effort to find a black barbershop.

by Anonymousreply 232November 24, 2018 3:14 AM

I've asked this a few times in the past decade and, for some reason, always drew vitriolic ridicule from DLers: is it possible to be blind (from birth) and gay? Isn't it about the visual?

by Anonymousreply 233November 24, 2018 3:26 AM

R233 - I once saw a blind guy at the baths in Seattle. He had a friend with him to guide him around. I don't know if he scored or not, as I was rather busy that night. Whether he was blind from birth, or later is unknown. But why wouldn't a blind person have a sexual preference?

But yes, for me it's very visual when it comes to sex. But, like all disabilities, we adapt, and even blind guys can feel if you're fat or old - kinda like it is the dark areas?

by Anonymousreply 234November 24, 2018 4:14 AM

R134, what was the response? That’s amazing.

by Anonymousreply 235November 26, 2018 6:23 PM

If our calendar is based on the birth of the baby Jesus, then why isn't Dec 25th the start of the new year?

by Anonymousreply 236November 26, 2018 6:34 PM

Are we there yet?

by Anonymousreply 237November 26, 2018 6:37 PM

R236, it’s not based on the birth of Christ. It’s based on astronomy, with some meddling by some Roman Emperors.

by Anonymousreply 238November 26, 2018 7:15 PM

Jeebus is the reason for the season, you heretic R238. I know this because the bible tells me so. Me and my gurls will pray for your salvation while we drink cheap eggnog and serve fruitcakes...

And remember to say Merry CHRISTmas!

by Anonymousreply 239November 26, 2018 7:18 PM

R237 - we already passed it.

by Anonymousreply 240November 26, 2018 7:21 PM

Why hasn't a naturist resort been named for Chuck Close?

by Anonymousreply 241November 30, 2018 3:58 AM

Why do we never want to go to bed at nite, and yet never want to get up in the morning?

by Anonymousreply 242November 30, 2018 4:02 AM

Do actors worry much about herpes? Given the number of kissing scenes they may have to do (and with many different co-stars) over the course of their careers, how big a concern is it? (Because how can you possibly know if your scene partner has it or not.)

by Anonymousreply 243November 30, 2018 1:58 PM

Oh r243 all actors, they've had worse things in their mouths and very frequently too.

by Anonymousreply 244November 30, 2018 2:02 PM

R243, good question. If you arrive on set, before your co-star is slathered in makeup, and you see a herps, what do you do, dial a friend for help? I would discretely seek out the director and decline to do the scene. Even if I was still young and it cost my career.

In college, I was once smoking when a chick asked me for a hit off my cig. She and her boyfriend had developed herpes on their lips - big sores that seemed to never heal. I said “oh, have the whole cig”, and struggled to get a new one out for me, and lit, while she protested that she only wanted a hit. The cunt. It was very awkward, but I was not taking it back. If I had, I would just have held it until it burned down, then washed my hands. Ugh! Not like it was personal.

by Anonymousreply 245November 30, 2018 2:43 PM

R242: another good question. I feel the same way.

by Anonymousreply 246November 30, 2018 2:44 PM

What exactly is the mueller investigation? What exactly did trump do that was wrong?

by Anonymousreply 247November 30, 2018 2:49 PM

R247, that’s not a “stupid question”. Please start a new thread. Or just search any of the many old threads. Ty.

by Anonymousreply 248November 30, 2018 3:01 PM

R247, actually, it really is a stupid question: Witnesses tampering; money laundering; lying to the FBI; campaign finance illegalities; conspiracy with a hostile country to fuck with an election; ongoing conspiracy with Russia; conspiracy to obtain stolen property, and more.

He’s dirty, slimy, can you not see it?

by Anonymousreply 249November 30, 2018 8:34 PM

Alligator eats the shark. True story.

A shark specialist was brought to deal with a shark that made its way into a river near an Indian village where it didn’t belong. Brackish water, bull shark-highly aggressive species, very dangerous to humans. The locals were familiar with gators and knew how to deal with them, but were worried about the shark.

The specialist came in time to witness a good sized gator eating the shark. It was not in its native territory so it was at a disadvantage,. It lasted less than a week I think.

Now, salt water crocs live near sharks, too, so maybe someone knows about that,

by Anonymousreply 250November 30, 2018 8:49 PM

What exactly does organic mean? Isn't anything grow in the ground/dirt organic?

by Anonymousreply 251November 30, 2018 9:01 PM

NO Chemical fertilizers

by Anonymousreply 252November 30, 2018 9:02 PM

Is there a touch typing program to learn to type on one's phone with one's thumbs, the way that there are Mavis Beacon keyboarding ones?

by Anonymousreply 253November 30, 2018 9:10 PM

SO NOT a stupid question, r253. I wish I could do it like the college girls. Or even the college boys.

by Anonymousreply 254November 30, 2018 9:11 PM

Stolen from a thread!

Bottoms who need no preparation

How come some bottoms can just get on the dick with no real notice? How is anyone that clean inside all the time? I know I suck at bottoming - I'm one who needs the whole day to prep in order to feel completely cleaned out, but what is the secret? Yes, I already know they eat plenty of fiber, drink tons of water, etc. but seriously is there NOTHING in their colon at all? Are their lower intestines just empty?

by Anonymousreply 255December 10, 2018 7:10 PM

Do you think Trump read a script on his show? I know the story it’s scripted, but don’t know about the dialog. Hmm, as I write, I guess it must have been, right? Generally, each show has some kind of arc where something happens, that is then overcome. Oh, LA Gays, help!

by Anonymousreply 256December 10, 2018 9:13 PM

Who invented mens' underwear?

by Anonymousreply 257December 17, 2018 1:52 AM

.No patience with the asses that won't bother to look things up ... gurls, you are NOT busy ones

by Anonymousreply 258December 17, 2018 2:05 AM

What’s the difference between a stutter and a stammer?

by Anonymousreply 259December 17, 2018 2:08 AM

My question is about nicknames. How do you get Chuck out of Charles, Peggy for Margaret and Hank for Henry? Why not just name the child Hank if you like Hank OR Henry if you like Henry instead of naming them one and calling them another. Or maybe the dizzy parents couldn't decide between the two names so they named them one and call them the other. And what's up with Dick for Richard? I could understand Rick or Rich, but Dick. Really?

by Anonymousreply 260December 17, 2018 2:43 AM

In the 18th century, “Nancy” was a nickname for “Anne”.

by Anonymousreply 261December 17, 2018 3:19 AM

If you dial “0” on your phone, will an operator answer?

by Anonymousreply 262December 17, 2018 6:30 AM

What if you say the following to AI;

"Alexa! I'm going to kill myself" or "Alexa! I want to kill myself"

What's the response?

by Anonymousreply 263December 17, 2018 10:50 AM

R263 she gives you the info for contacting suicide prevention.

by Anonymousreply 264December 17, 2018 11:44 AM

R206, the money may just go away. I have a retirement account from a company that I only worked for for a little over a year. The quarterly fees are greater than the interest, so by the time I retire, that account will probably have dwindled to nothing.

I think this must happen al lot in an economy where most of us work short term jobs.

by Anonymousreply 265December 17, 2018 12:00 PM

How can someone grow to adulthood without learning that roosters are chickens?

by Anonymousreply 266December 17, 2018 12:01 PM

Does the Naked Cowboy still hang out naked on the streets of NYC?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267January 11, 2019 1:17 AM

Yep....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268January 11, 2019 1:24 AM

What's the difference between an opera and a musical?

by Anonymousreply 269January 20, 2019 9:50 PM

Will playing on a quija board really summon evil spirits? I was joking with friends about wanting to know what all the fuss was about and they were alarmed that I was even considering it.

by Anonymousreply 270January 20, 2019 10:20 PM

What is the definitive answer about if you need to drain pasta?

by Anonymousreply 271January 20, 2019 10:47 PM

Have they actually studied straight men's sexual responses to women of various ages? Like at what point in a woman's life can the average man no longer get an erection looking at her?

by Anonymousreply 272January 20, 2019 10:56 PM

R272, there's a study that men of all age categories are sexually attracted the most to 18 year old women. after 21, the level of sexual interest in them sinks like the titanic.

by Anonymousreply 273January 20, 2019 11:10 PM

Especially in France, R273

by Anonymousreply 274January 20, 2019 11:12 PM

R274, they prevented a pedo outcome by limiting the possibility to chose from to 18-99.

interesting enough: the womens' pick would age with them accordingly up to their mid 50s. only after that would women pick men younger than themselves.

by Anonymousreply 275January 20, 2019 11:19 PM

Yes, I thought immediately of Yann Moix.

by Anonymousreply 276January 20, 2019 11:50 PM

"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

by Anonymousreply 277January 21, 2019 3:45 AM

R260 Related question: Prince Harry’s given name is Henry so why call him Harry? Harry is short for Harold, not Henry. Very puzzling.

And I agree with you on Hank, Dick etc. I don’t get it either.

by Anonymousreply 278January 21, 2019 11:32 PM

What's the difference between a citizen and a national?

by Anonymousreply 279January 23, 2019 4:10 AM

There are no stupid questions. Only stupid askers.

by Anonymousreply 280January 23, 2019 5:30 AM

R269, In opera, the parts are all sung. In musicals, spoken dialogue and (often) dance play important roles as well

by Anonymousreply 281January 23, 2019 6:02 AM

A horses hooves needs to be trimmed every 6-8 weeks. I suppose any animal needs their nails cut on some type of regular basis. So, what do animals in the wild do? What do wild horses do to keep their hooves correct?

by Anonymousreply 282March 24, 2019 12:47 AM

Why do pussies smell like fish? I can't fathom what would make that be, and why, and don't give me the "only if there's infection" I've smelled them in my pre-out days, and there's no way that many women have infections. I know it's a closed moist area, but so are rectums and mouths, and they don't smell like fish. Why fish?!

by Anonymousreply 283March 24, 2019 2:26 AM

Why does Twitter ask my preferences and then not show me anything I’m interested in?

Why can’t I stop Twitter from filling my feed with 90% sports? I hate sports.

Why are the same stories - and no new stories - on my twitter feed for 4 or 5 days?

by Anonymousreply 284March 24, 2019 3:36 AM

R282 wild animal move around way more than domesticated ones. heir hooves or nails get kinda ground down walking instead of being cut

by Anonymousreply 285March 28, 2019 9:10 AM

Google, Alexa, Siri, did not exists when that phrase was invented OP. Neither did the internet for that matter.

by Anonymousreply 286March 28, 2019 9:16 AM

[quote]Why do pussies smell like fish?

You want the real answer? Dead sperm from that last dude who shot his load in them. Woman never wash that shit out after sex. Always hoping they might win the baby lotto.

Dont believe me? Jack off into a rag and keep it in a dark warm moist spot for a day or two. It will go from smelling sweet to fish.

by Anonymousreply 287March 28, 2019 9:20 AM

Why is the phrase "lets agree to disagree" considered a good way to end an argument? It clearly makes no sense. I say the world is round and you say its flat. So we are both right? Sorry but one of us is right and one of us is wrong.

So no, I will not agree to disagree. Check mate.

by Anonymousreply 288March 28, 2019 9:31 AM

R288,

Hypothetically, we are coworkers. You think the earth is round and I say it’s flat. Therefore, we disagree.

We can argue all day and night ad infinitum and you will never convince me it’s round. Similarly, I can’t convince you it’s flat. Well I suppose we could spend the rest of our lives arguing, but we have to work together, so why?

Let us agree on something. That something is we disagree about this subject. So we “agree to disagree” and stop arguing the point.

by Anonymousreply 289March 28, 2019 4:25 PM

[quote] Why does Twitter ask my preferences and then not show me anything I’m interested in?

Answer: your topic or subject keywords do not match Twitter's collection of keywords

[quote] Why can’t I stop Twitter from filling my feed with 90% sports? I hate sports.

Because the IP address Twitter has for you localizes you to an area that loves sports, so you see trends in your area

[quote] Why are the same stories - and no new stories - on my twitter feed for 4 or 5 days?

Because you don't use RSS to selectively follow Twitter accounts. An RSS Reader populated with URLs of the Twitter accounts you follow eliminates promoted tweets and filters out a majority of tweets that don't interest you.

by Anonymousreply 290March 28, 2019 4:36 PM

[quote] Because the IP address Twitter has for you localizes you to an area that loves sports, so you see trends in your area

Nah. I get stories about professional soccer games, soccer teams, star soccer players. We don’t have professional soccer (or even amateur soccer) in my area. My setting is for US, not Europe or South America. We don’t have a lot of immigrants who follow soccer here, either.

by Anonymousreply 291March 28, 2019 4:41 PM

What's a grand jury? I've never heard of anyone doing grand jury duty.

by Anonymousreply 292March 29, 2019 2:01 AM

A grand jury is a panel of jurors whose only purpose is to hear the evidence as presented by the prosecution to determine whether or not that evidence rises to the level of necessitating a trial. It does not convict, but merely indicts indicating the defendant must stand trial. If it finds the evidence lacking, it’s called “no true bill.”

The reason the expression “a DA can indict a ham sandwich” exists is because the GJ only hears the prosecution side, nothing from the defense. So basically even an unskilled lawyer can convince you that something happened that should be examined at a full trial.

In my jurisdiction, they sit once a week and hear numerous cases. I guy I used to work with was on one for many months. He thought it was great bevause for one day a week he got out of work and sat at the courthouse all day and listened to cases.

I’m thinking of volunteering for it with my DA’s office.

by Anonymousreply 293March 29, 2019 11:24 AM

Thanks, R285!

by Anonymousreply 294March 29, 2019 11:28 AM

Thanks R293. I didn't know that and appreciate your information.

by Anonymousreply 295March 29, 2019 6:18 PM

A friend keeps calling me Richard Whiskey, but that isn't my name, why does he call me that?

by Anonymousreply 296March 29, 2019 7:25 PM

Why is it a pod of dolphins but a school of fish?

by Anonymousreply 297March 29, 2019 7:29 PM

[quote]What is the difference between baking soda and baking powder? What does each one do?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298April 11, 2019 5:30 PM

A few years ago, with noticeably aging eyes, I considered buying a good magnifying glass. So, the next time I was at a stationery store, I responded to the clerk's offer of help by asking if they sold magnifying glasses.

She glared at me as if I'd just murdered her children and said, "Not ANYMORE!"

Maybe I'm the stupidest person who ever lived, but I'm still perplexed by that reaction. Is there something I don't know about magnifying glasses? Do they do something other than magnify? Are they used for nefarious purposes?

by Anonymousreply 299April 15, 2019 10:03 PM

[quote]Let us agree on something. That something is we disagree about this subject. So we “agree to disagree” and stop arguing the point.

You missed the whole point R289. I understand the 80's boomer attempt to not discuss and issue, but that resolves nothing. So if I am about to build a rocket to circle the earth and you believe its flat, we should not find out who's right because we both have our beliefs? Avoiding arguments in the face of facts in not a solution to real world problems. People who are wrong, need to be told they are wrong and need to learn to accept that. Avoiding that can lead to serious consequences.

by Anonymousreply 300April 15, 2019 10:30 PM

Why are dishes called china? And, what's the difference between dinnerware and china?

by Anonymousreply 301April 21, 2019 3:07 PM

Why do computer screens look all fuzzy on TV, especially in older shows?

by Anonymousreply 302April 21, 2019 3:12 PM

What is "body wash"? Is it a fancy name for soap? Can it be used as bubble bath? You don't see too much bubble bath anymore.

by Anonymousreply 303April 21, 2019 3:13 PM

Why did serious colleges and universities let critical and gender studies ruin their liberal arts reputations?

by Anonymousreply 304April 21, 2019 3:41 PM

Did Ann Woodward INTEND to kill her husband?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 305April 21, 2019 4:34 PM

How many of Rubisosa's lovers provided anal?

by Anonymousreply 306April 21, 2019 4:39 PM

RE; the talk shows

Why do many of the black women hosts of these shows change their wigs everyday? While the other women may wear a wig or pieces, their hairstyle pretty much remains the same. But, with many of the Black women, it's a new day and new hair.

by Anonymousreply 307April 28, 2019 5:55 PM

R308 because they like it. wigs are seen as a fashion accessoire, not as means to hide hair loss/baldness/thin hair.

by Anonymousreply 308April 29, 2019 8:48 PM

When they say giving to charity is "tax deductible," how does that work? If I gave, say, 1K, how would that help me? Or does it primarily depend on my income and other factors.

by Anonymousreply 309April 29, 2019 8:52 PM

Why is there so much hate for people who are different?

by Anonymousreply 310April 29, 2019 8:59 PM

When people on here talk about "sis" - what do they mean, exactly?

by Anonymousreply 311April 29, 2019 8:59 PM

How does Google work? When you type a question, are real people answering back?

by Anonymousreply 312April 29, 2019 9:00 PM

R309, you get a literal receipt. tax deductable means that you are allowed to take those 1k off of your earnings, lowering your taxable income and thereby the tax bill. so instead of getting taxed for earning 100k, you get taxed as if you earned 99k.

by Anonymousreply 313April 29, 2019 9:01 PM

How do people do ATM (ass to mouth).

I don't know how anyone could WANT to do this!!!!! My brain can't process it! It freaks me out every time i see it!

by Anonymousreply 314April 29, 2019 9:53 PM

R307, do you remember what the comedian Sinbad said?

“If you’re bald-headed on Monday, you can’t have hair down to your butt on Wednesday!”

by Anonymousreply 315April 29, 2019 11:15 PM

Question for male ballet dancers: when you partner with a woman and lift her over your head, can you smell her snatch?

by Anonymousreply 316April 30, 2019 12:28 AM

R313 Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 317April 30, 2019 8:59 AM

How do people with no hands wash their hair?

by Anonymousreply 318April 30, 2019 9:38 AM

Do people in International Space Station masturbate once in a while, and to what materials? And how do they come? And do their cocks elongate a bit just like their bodies if they stay in the space for quite some time?

by Anonymousreply 319April 30, 2019 9:55 AM

Sexual attraction seems to be primarily visual. Can someone born blind from birth be gay?

by Anonymousreply 320May 14, 2019 5:36 AM

People only do it if they're confident there's no mess involved, r314. I was like you, once, but then I got carried away during a particularly hot session and now it's part of the repertoire.

by Anonymousreply 321May 14, 2019 6:23 AM

My mom has a 80 + year old friend (in another county) that wants to use quick drying cement on old railroad ties to strengthen them (she uses them to cross a creek to mow).

I have my doubts that this will work out safely but should we be concerned?

I guess the railroad ties (there are 2 of them) were spaced for a truck to go across & they have noticeable damage but can still hold the riding mower & her 200+ weight.

Does anyone know if this will strengthen or weaken them in the long or short term? I think the woman is about 85 so I don't think she needs to worry about any long term structural damage to them. The woman doesn't have any internet access herself & may be not be able to read & write since she was teased in school & eventually dropped out.

Any advice for this problem? She doesn't have the money to replace the railroad ties & we don't have the money to help her either. Her only sibling died years ago so she has no one to really help her.

by Anonymousreply 322May 14, 2019 6:46 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 323May 15, 2019 4:21 AM

This thread burned out rather quickly.

by Anonymousreply 324May 15, 2019 3:21 PM

Can people born blind be gay?

by Anonymousreply 325May 15, 2019 4:07 PM

Yes R325/ There are people who are blind & they fall in love with the natural scent of the same sex as well as the voice, taste of bodily fluids & obviously touch.

If you are a male & didn't like touching a female's breast, the blind gay guy could have come to that same conclusion & said that wasn't for him.

Some people are sighted but lose their eyesight gradually over time. They remember what same-sex features they were attracted to even though they can't see them anymore (beards or no beards, bald heads or hairy heads, body type = fat, thin or muscular / short, tall or average, etc.).

I'm legally blind for what it's worth. My eyesight will only deteriorate as I get older.

by Anonymousreply 326May 15, 2019 4:16 PM

Why can't my daughter give me the respect that I'm entitled to? Why can't she treat me like I would be treated by any stranger on the street?!

by Anonymousreply 327May 15, 2019 4:22 PM

[quote] Related question: Prince Harry’s given name is Henry so why call him Harry? Harry is short for Harold, not Henry. Very puzzling.

Harry is also historically short for Henry, whether you like it or not. The last king named Henry was Henry VIII, and he was always called Harry.

Diana was in charge of naming her son and she was required by the crown to give him a name from a former king. She did not much care for Henry as a given name (it wasn;t trendy then), but she liked Harry, so that was her solution to giving him a name both she and the crown would like.

by Anonymousreply 328May 15, 2019 4:27 PM

[quote] Why is the phrase "lets agree to disagree" considered a good way to end an argument?

It's a polite way of saying, "I am tired of arguing with you and neither of us is going to change the other's mind."

by Anonymousreply 329May 15, 2019 4:28 PM

[quote]Why can't my daughter give me the respect that I'm entitled to? Why can't she treat me like I would be treated by any stranger on the street?!

Think, darling....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 330May 15, 2019 4:31 PM

R327/Jo - Maybe she is a sociopath or narcissist or has some other anti-social personality disorder. Or maybe she doesn't and you do. Not trying to be mean here as I am sensitive to parents abused by their children. It is an awful experience to suffer though. But people without disorders, normal people, do not get along with those who are disordered. So if both of you OR one of you has a personality disorder and the other does not, then it's 'like oil and water' and will never work. The relationship is unhealthy and toxic. Look up the "signs / symptoms of personality disorders", like sociopathy and the others to determine if one of you is disordered. If neither of you fit that profile seek out counseling.

If you are certain that neither one of you have a personality disorder (because even the best therapist can't fix crazy) and the conflict is related to unresolved anger issues, etc., then seek professional counseling, (a 50+ yr old female MSW / LCSW in private practice is a good start) but select someone who specializes in this particular area and who has good reviews.

Go to at least six sessions on your own to determine and decide if the therapist is competent, effective and trustworthy, and genuinely compassionate, and if this is the therapist who can help both of you before introducing her to your child. The wrong therapist will only make things worse, not better. Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 331May 15, 2019 7:14 PM

^ suffer through, not though.

by Anonymousreply 332May 15, 2019 7:17 PM

Damn! Still no answer to the question about McArthur Park. Cake? Rain?

by Anonymousreply 333May 15, 2019 7:32 PM

[quote]Why is there so much hate for people who are different?

Insecurity and greed.

by Anonymousreply 334May 15, 2019 7:52 PM

[quote]What is "body wash"? Is it a fancy name for soap? Can it be used as bubble bath? You don't see too much bubble bath anymore.

Shower Gel vs. Body Wash vs. Bar Soap

Showering is something you likely do on the daily—but how much thought do you really put into what body cleanser you use? Well, it turns out you may want to be a little more scrutinizing, especially if you are prone to certain skin conditions. But the question is, which cleanser is right for you? We’re breaking down the differences between bar soap, shower gel and body wash so that you can confidently choose the right one for your cleansing needs.

What Is Bar Soap?

Ah, bar soap: The classic body cleanser you’ve been using since you were a kid.

“By definition, soap is a long chain fatty acid alkali salt with a pH between 9 and 10,” says Dr. Fayne Frey, M.D., board-certified dermatologist in West Nyack, New York. (For comparison, your skin’s pH is between 5 and 6.) “These bar cleansers are harsh on the skin, as they can remove the essential lipids and proteins found on the skin surface that help maintain your moisture barrier.”

Not all bar soaps are made the same, though. In fact, there are a few different types of bar soaps, some of which are less drying than others. The translucent bar soaps, for one, are made with glycerin, a humectant that draws moisture into the skin and counteracts the drying effect of the soap, says Dr. Frey. Superfatted soaps are also another kind. According to a study published in the Indian Journal of Dermatology, these are formulated with higher levels of lipids (fatty acids) like triglycerides, lanolin and stearic acid. These ingredients form a protective film over your skin. Finally, there are antibacterial bar soaps, which contain ingredients like triclosan to squash bacteria growth and odor.

What Is Shower Gel and Is It the Same as Body Wash?

Body wash and shower gel are pretty similar. They’re both liquid cleansers that use mild surfactants to cleanse skin, says Dr. Frey. The main difference lies in their texture. “Body shower gel tends to have a thinner consistency, which makes it better for warmer climates,” says Berenice S. Rothenberg, owner and founder of Electrolysis and Beauty Center in New York City.

Body washes are slightly more moisturizing than shower gels (and much more hydrating than bar soaps), says Rothenberg. That’s because they usually contain emollients (a.k.a. skin-softeners), adds Dr. Frey. In fact, according to a study published in the journal Dermatologic Clinics, newer formulas feature technology that delivers emulsified petrolatum (a common skin ointment) to the skin while you cleanse, which helps improve dryness.

by Anonymousreply 335May 15, 2019 7:57 PM

Therefore....

Body washes and shower gels holds a lower pH value than the traditional soap, which is also known to feel less drying to the skin.

by Anonymousreply 336May 15, 2019 7:58 PM

So, can animals suffer from Alzheimer and dementia?

by Anonymousreply 337July 5, 2019 1:35 PM

This is a good thread. The questions are enough. No need for answers. Anyone who suggests google please go fuck themselves

by Anonymousreply 338July 5, 2019 1:46 PM

[quote]Why is the phrase "lets agree to disagree" considered a good way to end an argument?

[quote]It's a polite way of saying, "I am tired of arguing with you and neither of us is going to change the other's mind."

It's actually not. It's rather patronizing because it infantilizes the other person. At the point in a discussion where you want to say it, trying to force the other person to agree with you would be viewed by many as a power-move and a childish way to "win" the argument by ending it with the other person agreeing with you.

You wouldn't say, "I'm tired of arguing..."

The polite way to extricate yourself (and continue a conversation) would be to say something that acknowledges the other person and the points he's raised, acknowledge that you are not going to come to agreement, and make a proposal.

"You've made some good points (whether you believe this or not, acknowledging the other person will defuse the situation), but I don't see that we're going to convince each other if we continue debating. Let's change the subject."

While you're also getting the other person to agree to change the subject, it isn't an agreement on any portion of the argument itself as agreeing to disagree on the substance of the previous discussion is.

by Anonymousreply 339July 5, 2019 2:10 PM

R339, MARY!!

by Anonymousreply 340July 5, 2019 2:28 PM

r340 - we mock what we don't understand.

Think, genius. Think.

If you need someone to explain "Why is the phrase "lets agree to disagree" considered a good way to end an argument?" you don't understand how it extricates someone from a conversation - good herein could either mean and effective way or positive/acceptable/polite way.

The entire thread provides pedantic answers for the ineffably stupid questions of life.

by Anonymousreply 341July 5, 2019 2:38 PM

That's some serious nuance R339

by Anonymousreply 342July 5, 2019 2:40 PM

[quote]That's some serious nuance [R339]

I've spent way too much time in meetings with very douchey senior executives that make some high strung celebrities look like the model of emotional stability.

The frailty of egos of people able to reach such senior positions is astounding, coupled with the absurd notion that many seem to hold that because they have a background or expertise in one area (like IT or Finance) they are also experts in Marketing, Advertising, or PR.

by Anonymousreply 343July 5, 2019 2:49 PM

What’s the difference between a couch, sofa and a settee?

by Anonymousreply 344July 5, 2019 3:40 PM

Yes some horses bite people. I grew up with some easy going horses and some biters. They are like cats and dogs, some will never bite and others have no inhibitions against biting. Getting bitten by a horse can really hurt.

by Anonymousreply 345July 5, 2019 4:02 PM

How do they know Spanish fleas are Spanish?

by Anonymousreply 346July 5, 2019 4:08 PM

Well, R343, they're better than the ones with no expertise in anything at all, but think they the ones who 'can make things happen!'.

by Anonymousreply 347July 5, 2019 4:12 PM

[quote]What’s the difference between a couch, sofa and a settee?

I believe a couch and a sofa is the same thing. Maybe one has a bed while the other does not. A settee is shorter than a couch and sofa. A settee usually only seats two people.

by Anonymousreply 348July 5, 2019 4:13 PM

"So, can animals suffer from Alzheimer and dementia?"

Lots of studies in biomedical research based on causing mice to develop the various pathologies of Alzheimer's Disease, R337. But mainly driven by genetic mutations - does not occur naturally.

by Anonymousreply 349July 5, 2019 4:18 PM

[R21] Woodchucks do not chuck wood; they can't. And they wouldn't even if they could. The name "woodchuck" has nothing to do with wood. The name is the result of an adaptation of an Indian name for the animal by white people: Woochaka was the Indian name, I'm not sure which tribe or group, but I imagine the info is on the web somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 350July 5, 2019 4:57 PM

Throw divan and davenport into the mix, r348.

by Anonymousreply 351July 5, 2019 5:02 PM

And speaking of shit, in [R57], those teeth can't possibly be real, can they?

by Anonymousreply 352July 5, 2019 5:04 PM

[quote]Throw divan and davenport into the mix, [R348].

Ha! Well, a Davenport is a brand name that became genericized. A Davenport is nothing more than a couch that was manufactured by a company called A. H. Davenport and Company.

[quote]A. H. Davenport and Company was a late 19th-century, early 20th-century American furniture manufacturer, cabinetmaker, and interior decoration firm. Based in Cambridge, Massachusetts, it sold luxury items at its showrooms in Boston and New York City, and produced furniture and interiors for many notable buildings, including The White House. The word "davenport," meaning a boxy sofa or sleeper-sofa, comes from the company.

Now, I would say that a divan is a fainting couch. I see them as a different from a sofa and couch. I would put them on the same level as a chaise lounge.

[quote]A fainting couch is a couch with a back that is traditionally raised at one end. The back may be situated completely at one side of the couch, or may wrap around and extend the entire length of the piece much like a traditional couch. However, fainting couches are easily differentiated from more traditional couches, having one end of the back raised. Fainting couches were popular in the 19th century, and were particularly used by women.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 353July 5, 2019 5:13 PM

Why aren't tires solid rubber so we can't get flats?

by Anonymousreply 354July 5, 2019 5:18 PM

Most tires end up being replaced not for flats but for tread wear, which wouldn't be helped much by solid tires. Solid rubber would increase the cost, increase the discomfort, reduce gas mileage, and reduce stability. There is a science to how the air-filled tires bend and flex on turns and on bumpy roads.

by Anonymousreply 355July 5, 2019 5:24 PM

Which of the letters in LGBTQIABCDE do transvestites, not transgendered people but transvestites, fall under? Particularly if they're men who identify as heterosexual but who like to wear women's clothing?

by Anonymousreply 356July 5, 2019 5:24 PM

[R236] Back in the 18th Century, and before, in Europe, the New Year was considered to begin on March 25th. March 25th is exactly 9 months before Xmas, and the Christians had reasoned that it must therefore be the date of the conception of Jesus. Reasoning further, they figured that the date of conception of the Divine Zygote must *also* have been the date of the Creation of the entire universe, so it was condsidered to be the beginning of the new year. Makes sense to me...

by Anonymousreply 357July 5, 2019 5:43 PM

Re [R303]: Body wash. My take is two-fold. Someone has promoted a by-now successful PR campaign to the effect that bar soap is just covered with filthy nasty bacteria. Women and overly fastidious queens are the obvious and enthusiastic suckers for this marketing ploy. Body wash is the result - liquid soap with more water in it. Water is about the cheapest substance you can sell and the profit on it is enormous. The manufacturers are selling watered down soap. It's also basically just wasted, too, because it's not something you can easily measure or ration out in the shower, hence you end up having to buy more of it than if you were just using a bar of soap. It's a hoax.

by Anonymousreply 358July 5, 2019 6:05 PM

Why? Just.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 359July 5, 2019 6:12 PM

What do you do if you are a male targeted by a female bully or abuser, especially since Western society and law enforcement lets women get away with certain behaviors even if they do it in public with witnesses?

by Anonymousreply 360July 6, 2019 4:09 AM

[quote]How do they know Spanish fleas are Spanish?

By their little sombreros, of course.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 361July 7, 2019 12:28 PM

[quote]What do you do if you are a male targeted by a female bully or abuser, especially since Western society and law enforcement lets women get away with certain behaviors even if they do it in public with witnesses?

Go back to your basement and complain on your incel boards and 8chan, rather than on DL.

by Anonymousreply 362July 7, 2019 4:10 PM

So, does one;

"Lie in state"

or

"Lay in state"?

Which one is correct and why?

by Anonymousreply 363July 17, 2019 9:00 PM

R320 and R325 - there’s a cute Brazilian coming of age movie about a gay blind high school boy. Very cute. It’s available on streaming channels.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 364July 22, 2019 10:27 PM

One lies in state, because that's the way it is.

by Anonymousreply 365July 22, 2019 10:29 PM

My boss: Do you mind if I ask a stupid question?

Me: Only if you don't mind a stupid answer.

by Anonymousreply 366July 22, 2019 11:18 PM

Well, damn it! I'm just going to ask it;

If you prefer to bottom for anal sex, can you have spontaneous sex? I mean... how are you always clean? Or, is every sexual encounter a planned event?

by Anonymousreply 367October 11, 2019 3:38 PM

R301 China is called "china" because it was originally made in China. "Dinnerware" means tableware in general, while "china" means anything (may or may not be tableware) made from china.

by Anonymousreply 368October 11, 2019 3:59 PM

Why are dinner plates round opposed to square?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 369January 2, 2020 9:49 PM

[quote]Why are dinner plates round opposed to square?

It's like the old Management Consulting question "Why are soda cans round?"

If the answer follows suit, it would be because the round shape either benefits the maker or the user.

Benefits to the maker would be that a round shape is easier to make using traditional pottery tools and materials. It's also more physically stable, so easier to maintain its shape during the manufacturing process. The round shape would probably optimize the maximum number of plates that could be kiln dried and still allow free flow of heated air between the pieces.

From the user side, a round plate optimizes the surface area for food using the smallest footprint. It's easier to handle and clean by hand. Again, more stable so less prone to breaking. Also, the shape of a round plate forces food toward the center for things like stews and other more traditional foods.

I have no idea how correct any of that actually is. For all I know, they're round because some Chinese Emperor in the Ming dynasty had an oracle tell him that square plates were unlucky, so he banned them and round became the norm.

by Anonymousreply 370January 2, 2020 10:01 PM

r367 is probably dead by now, but I'll answer anyway...

If you consume a recommended daily amount of fibre - both water soluble and insoluble - and you have meals at regular times each day, then your bowel movements are pretty much consistently regular as well, and there's nothing in your rectum between those bowel movements to cause an "accident" during sex. In short, you make a judgement about whether you're ready for surprise anal or not based on when your last BM took place. You can also feel a certain... [italic]fullness[/italic] in that general area if you're close to BM but not quite there. Of course, that comes with being attuned to your mussy.

I purposely didn't mention douching because douching and spontaneous anal don't belong in the same sentence. Those who douche either plan their sex or they just tell their partner to wait a hot minute while they go clean out in the bathroom.

by Anonymousreply 371January 2, 2020 10:06 PM

Adding to R368 - the original "China" was "bone China". They already had crockery plates in the West before this took on, but when the Europeans got to China they found this very fine yet strong porcelain the Chinese were using (some of it actually translucent), which took its strength from having actual bones ground up in it. It became very coveted, and my guess is that that's when the term China began to overtake the term Crockery.

by Anonymousreply 372January 2, 2020 10:13 PM

R358, the real reason body wash has taken off is that it doesn't create soap scum (or what it does, is minimal). Its rise coincided with the rise of the frameless glass shower screen.

by Anonymousreply 373January 2, 2020 10:15 PM

Are you supposed to, (or, should you), tip for takeout food?

by Anonymousreply 374January 5, 2020 12:22 AM

I assume that plates are round because they can be stacked without effort. If you stacked square plates, you would have to make sure they are properly aligned.

by Anonymousreply 375January 5, 2020 12:27 AM

Why was "New Math" a failure?

by Anonymousreply 376January 5, 2020 12:27 AM

Paper or plastic?

by Anonymousreply 377January 5, 2020 12:28 AM

What is Google? I'd Google it, but I don't know what it is.

by Anonymousreply 378January 5, 2020 12:33 AM

What is Google? I'd Google it, but I don't know what it is.

by Anonymousreply 379January 5, 2020 12:33 AM

Was there no backlash when Ricky Martin sang about a bullet to the brain? Would there be one today?

I have an awful headache and if I had a gun in the house it might be tempting.

by Anonymousreply 380January 5, 2020 12:35 AM

If R333 is still around...I didn't see your original question, but RE MacArthur Park, but: Jimmy Webb, who wrote the song, was dating a woman whom he would meet for lunch at MacArthur Park in LA, near where she worked. (The woman was Linda Ronstadt's cousin, btw.) She wanted to get married, but he didn't, so they broke up and she married someone else. He wrote the song thinking about various images of them spending time in the park, and things that they saw while there, such as a cake ruined in the rain, old men playing checkers, etc. He also wrote the song "The Worst That Could Happen" about the same relationship.

by Anonymousreply 381January 5, 2020 12:47 AM

So, what is the difference between a Bisque and soup? Isn't a Bisque soup?

by Anonymousreply 382January 7, 2020 1:18 AM

Bisque generally has seafood in it.

by Anonymousreply 383January 7, 2020 1:25 AM

Can someone please explain when to use thy, thee and thou.

by Anonymousreply 384January 7, 2020 1:29 AM

R381, I don't know who asked the question but THANK YOU! I, myself, wondered what the HELL that song was all about!

"Someone left the cake out in the rain

I don't think that I can take it

'Cause it took so long to bake it

And I'll never have that recipe again

Oh, no"

by Anonymousreply 385January 7, 2020 1:35 AM

Damn. A thread made for me. I think of the most idiotic things and now can't think of a thing.

Don't worry, I'll work on it.

by Anonymousreply 386January 7, 2020 1:44 AM

It's usage R384

Thee, thou, and thine (or thy) are Early Modern English second person singular pronouns. Thou is the subject form (nominative), thee is the object form, and thy/thine is the possessive form. ... thee - singular informal, object (He gave it to thee.)

by Anonymousreply 387January 7, 2020 1:51 AM

[quote]Will Donald Trump have a heart attack and die so we don't have to endure a possible second term?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 388January 7, 2020 2:03 AM

How many licks DOES it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?

by Anonymousreply 389January 7, 2020 2:20 AM

"Will Donald Trump have a heart attack and die so we don't have to endure a possible second term?"

we can only hope.

by Anonymousreply 390January 7, 2020 3:09 AM

-What is the average number of views that a thread gets on DataLounge?

-Does the view count reset itself quarterly? I've seen threads where the view count is maybe 1000 plus and then a new quarter starts and the view count number is like 2 or 3 views

by Anonymousreply 391January 19, 2020 3:48 PM

What is the appeal of the Kardashians? Or, for that matter, any of those shows that turned Bravo into trash TV? It escapes me.

by Anonymousreply 392January 19, 2020 4:16 PM

Corn? When did you eat corn?

by Anonymousreply 393January 19, 2020 5:24 PM

I've never seen a single episode of the Kardashaians, and the only one I can name by site is Kim, but I think I understand the appeal. The culture we live in one of striving, and looking good on social media, what with the latest outfits and designer bags, etc. I think it is appalling, but it exists. I think the Kardashians give those strivers a blueprint. Instead of looking through Vogue or Elle to find out what is in and what bags they should wear, people look to them for their fashion clues.

by Anonymousreply 394January 19, 2020 5:33 PM

R8 When my BF spoke Polish to his poodle, the dog would tilt his head to one side. When the BF spoke English to his dog, the poodle would tilt his head to the opposite side. It happened every time.

R4 When I was young, a friend's sister was baking cookies when I was visiting them. The sister mistakenly used baking powder instead of baking soda. The cookies exploded and the oven door blew openfrom the big blast.

by Anonymousreply 395January 19, 2020 5:40 PM

Why is it called a "bolt of fabric"

by Anonymousreply 396May 10, 2020 6:04 PM

Can anyone file a request to have a lawyer disbarred? Someone needs to request that Pam And Rudy Giuliani be disbarred.

by Anonymousreply 397November 11, 2020 3:02 PM

Why do I always feel like I need to pee?

by Anonymousreply 398November 11, 2020 3:11 PM

Why are fact and fiction opposites but factitious and fictitious mean virtually the same thing?

by Anonymousreply 399November 11, 2020 3:23 PM

And why facetious?

by Anonymousreply 400November 11, 2020 3:38 PM

You may have an overactive bladder, R398. You should see a urologist.

by Anonymousreply 401November 11, 2020 3:38 PM

R384 In case nobody has answered you. It has to do with the function of the pronoun in the sentence (subject, object, possessive). It helps if you've studied Latin or German, but if you haven't:

You have to come.

Thou hast to come.

I love you.

I love thee.

Your face

Thy face

And there's also thine (like mine, my face and thine).

Hope this helps.

by Anonymousreply 402November 11, 2020 3:43 PM

"Thou hast to come"

Hmm... for some reason that made me feel horny.

by Anonymousreply 403November 11, 2020 3:46 PM

Why do I keep coming across the word "whilst" in print even though I can't recall a single person saying it out loud?

by Anonymousreply 404November 11, 2020 4:08 PM

Where did all the horses go? At one time, along with long haul trains, horses were the preferred method of short haul transport. They were everywhere, no when you see a horse it's a special experience. I know some are now roaming wild out west, but there were horses everywhere in the country. Did they just die off without replacement? Were they sent to the Elmer's glue factory or the dog food company?

by Anonymousreply 405November 11, 2020 5:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!