Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'Bohemian Rhapsody' Rocks the Box Office with $50 Million Debut

Neither Bryan Singer or the negative reviews seemed to make a dent on its box office numbers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 22, 2018 11:37 AM

Any reviews?

by Anonymousreply 1November 4, 2018 6:09 PM

The various reviews I've read have been overwhelmingly excellent. I'm going to watch it when it's out on Google Play or whatnot.

by Anonymousreply 2November 4, 2018 6:50 PM

I hope it does well for the sake of Rami. I really like him as an actor and what little I know of him as a person via interviews and such. I first discovered him in the 2013 Indie SHORT TERM 12. I was in one of those places as a teen and he so reminded me of one of the staff. He really nailed his small role.

by Anonymousreply 3November 4, 2018 8:44 PM

USA Today sez--

[quote] The film, starring Rami Malek as the Queen frontman, shrugged off production troubles and mediocre reviews to debut with an estimated $50 million in weekend ticket sales and another $72.5 million internationally, according to studio estimates Sunday. That was well beyond expectations, which had pegged the film closer to $35 million to $40 million in its opening weekend.

by Anonymousreply 4November 4, 2018 10:58 PM

The reviews for the film are not uniformly excellent. 59% at RottenTomatoes. But Rami Malek's performance is the one thing that appears to be uniformly praised.

The problem with the film seems to be along this line (from Salon.com)-

[quote] Ideally, a film like this would attempt to add to, or to contextualize, a legacy. Instead, "Bohemian Rhapsody" tries to sanctify it, pack it in bubble wrap to protect it from causing, or being caught in, any friction.

And extra points go to this reviewer for trying to win Datalounge's cold, black heart-

[quote] The film suffers from the utterly poor direction of Bryan Singer.

by Anonymousreply 5November 4, 2018 11:06 PM

WE KNOW, WE ALREADY HAVE SEVERAL THREADS ABOUT IT

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6November 4, 2018 11:25 PM

BH was sold out at my local theater so I saw Melissa McCarthy’s “Can You Ever Forgive Me?” She’s excellent and the movie is very good. I’d nominate her over Gaga this year.

by Anonymousreply 7November 4, 2018 11:38 PM

People say Rami gayed him up but I think he played him as if he were high all the time. Watched some footage of Freddie on Youtube and he seems really intelligent and speaks rapidly, however in the movie he speaks like he's drunk or high all the time. Perhaps Rami, or more likely the screenwriter, confused his on stage persona with the actual person because from what I can see, Freddie just seemed like a regular guy offstage. Rami did nail the accent though.

by Anonymousreply 8November 6, 2018 6:49 PM

Also interesting that everyone in the movie is better looking than their real life counterpart except for Freddie. Nothing against Malek's looks, but Freddie was quite attractive as he aged.

by Anonymousreply 9November 6, 2018 6:54 PM

I have to decide whether to see this on Saturday. I was never a Queen fan, though I'm the perfect age. I've never owned one of their records, and thought their songs were kind of silly, the ones I even recognized as being by them.

My two best friends want to go, and for some reason, they have grown uncomfortable doing things alone together. Each prefers it when I am there. And I will want to go out to dinner with them afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 10November 6, 2018 6:59 PM

I liked it because I love Queen and Freddie. Rami was good but yeah, I think the prosthetic teef affected his acting and he sounds weitd. The script is mediocre. but the muisic and the grandiosity of Freddie make it worth.

by Anonymousreply 11November 6, 2018 7:06 PM

Now its about $650 million. It should come very close to making $700 million.

It will also be a big seller on DVD/Blu Ray.

by Anonymousreply 12December 22, 2018 11:37 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!