Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Bohemian Rhapsody is an “Embarrassment”, “Dishonest and Painfully Clichéd”

Oooooh gurllllll

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107November 4, 2018 5:06 AM

[quote]Oooooh gurllllll

gurl, puhlease!

by Anonymousreply 1October 23, 2018 11:03 PM

Gurl plee

by Anonymousreply 2October 23, 2018 11:05 PM

It's... a twitter review.

by Anonymousreply 3October 23, 2018 11:07 PM

Twitter=shitter

by Anonymousreply 4October 23, 2018 11:09 PM

I thought for a moment it was our own dear Miss David Ehrenstein who wrote that.

by Anonymousreply 5October 23, 2018 11:09 PM

David Ehlrich is the critic at IndieWire you fucking dumbass and his full review is linked in the tweet

by Anonymousreply 6October 23, 2018 11:10 PM

David Ehrenstein has been incapacitated for most of the year.

by Anonymousreply 7October 23, 2018 11:14 PM

No - you're the fucking dumbass r6 you have no self-control and you embarrass yourself

by Anonymousreply 8October 23, 2018 11:14 PM

I think we all agree r6 should kill xhirself.

by Anonymousreply 9October 23, 2018 11:22 PM

^^ "we trolls" are ALWAYS nasty

by Anonymousreply 10October 23, 2018 11:23 PM

R6 is right.

by Anonymousreply 11October 23, 2018 11:25 PM

Trolls = boring and stupid

by Anonymousreply 12October 23, 2018 11:27 PM

[quote]I thought for a moment it was our own dear Miss David Ehrenstein who wrote that.

I read it that way at first too.

And r6 is of course correct, David Ehrlich is a well known movie critic, not some rando.

by Anonymousreply 13October 23, 2018 11:33 PM

For r10

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 23, 2018 11:33 PM

Saw an industry screening. The movie IS crap. What's worst, someone (prob Fox--they're the only ones to be able to make this kind of call) gave the members of the band script approval. So it's basically like watching a commercial. Singer is also a talentless hack, but we all knew that.

by Anonymousreply 15October 23, 2018 11:35 PM

I’ll pass on the movie. The source material is already well known

by Anonymousreply 16October 23, 2018 11:43 PM

That is what all the buzz from screenings say.

Rami Malek does his best, but the movie around him is terrible.

by Anonymousreply 17October 23, 2018 11:43 PM

[quote]What's worst, someone (prob Fox--they're the only ones to be able to make this kind of call) gave the members of the band script approval.

The band owns the rights to the music. No band approved script, no movie. It’s the reason why Sasha Baron Cohen ditched this shitfest.

by Anonymousreply 18October 23, 2018 11:45 PM

Yeah I don't know how some people keep missing that point r18. The Band made it clear that if you want to use the music you have to take their input on how the movie should be.

by Anonymousreply 19October 23, 2018 11:46 PM

Rami in drag

ugly

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 23, 2018 11:47 PM

How Bohemian Rhapsody did Freddie Mercury dirty and why he deserves better

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 23, 2018 11:48 PM

Thankfully we have all the music videos, concerts and interviews of the glorious Freddie and the rest of Queen. That's always been good enough for me.

What might be interesting is a film about the last years of his life while he was struggling with AIDS. A great screenwriter and director and someone with someone who can really act well enough to erase the issue of trying to match Freddie's exact appearance. Sorta like Nixon. By the middle of the film I forgot the real Nixon.

by Anonymousreply 22October 23, 2018 11:59 PM

But seriously - who give a fuck about Freddy Mercury? He died 26 years ago. All his most popular songs sound awful now. I've not heard one played on the radio in many many years. Who is going to go to this movie? Especially if it's whitewashed. I mean - who give a fuck?

I'm guessing pretty much straight to DVD ..

by Anonymousreply 23October 24, 2018 12:05 AM

"Rami Malek’s impersonation adds a kind of magic to this Queen-produced rock slog with a troubling moralistic subtext"

2/5 stars

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 24, 2018 12:05 AM

What world do you live in r23? Queen's big hits are still iconic r23, young to old we all know them.

by Anonymousreply 25October 24, 2018 12:06 AM

The review headline from the Guardian at r24 made my day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 24, 2018 12:22 AM

r25 What world do you live in? Queen's big hits are still iconic [R23], young to old we all know them.

I live in the real world and Queen's big hits of 40 years ago are long forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 27October 24, 2018 12:26 AM

R18/R19 the studio had to get the underlying rights to use the music. But to say that that always comes with script approval is wrong. It's all a negotiation. In Ray (the ray charles movie) the estate had no control over creative choices. In "I'm Not There" (Bob Dylan) Dylan had total approval, but had the sense to trust Todd Haynes and "the film people" enough to know that he didn't know the medium well enough to exercise that power except to get some details right.

I'm an entertainment attny btw.

by Anonymousreply 28October 24, 2018 12:27 AM

I was born just a couple years before Freddie Mercury died and I still know all those songs, but okay dear.

by Anonymousreply 29October 24, 2018 12:27 AM

You're kidding! This is a still from the movie. For starters, could their trousers (pants) be any more 2018?

They CAN NOT capture the 70s in movies, it seems.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 24, 2018 12:28 AM

these 70s/80s rock biopics are always awful.

by Anonymousreply 31October 24, 2018 12:35 AM

Sasha Baron Cohen and the darker, wilder script would have been fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 32October 24, 2018 12:40 AM

[quote]I was born just a couple years before Freddie Mercury died and I still know all those songs, but okay dear.

That's great r29 - but I think the average person doesn't know or care about Freddy Mercury. His song are interesting but his biggest hits are almost novelty songs. And he had no real back story. He was a sexy guy who performed in a tack top and got aids and died. I really don't understand how this got to be a movie. It's certainly not going to "turn a whole new generation on to Freddy."

This would have been better as a Netflix film.

by Anonymousreply 33October 24, 2018 12:40 AM

Who is Freddy Mercury? Is he or she a fan of Freddie Mercury?

by Anonymousreply 34October 24, 2018 12:43 AM

Evil twin

by Anonymousreply 35October 24, 2018 12:47 AM

Jesus r30 you're right. I wasn't even around in the 70s and even *I* know that's not 70s!

by Anonymousreply 36October 24, 2018 1:08 AM

[QUOTE]But seriously - who give a fuck about Freddy Mercury?

You did, given you decided to post in this thread, repeatedly.

[QUOTE]straight to DVD

DVD? And you're complaining about others being outdated?

by Anonymousreply 37October 24, 2018 1:11 AM

[quote] straight to DVD

Haha - just an expression dear

by Anonymousreply 38October 24, 2018 1:15 AM

This biopic has been talked about in western media for years because of just how well Freddie Mercury is known. Queen have sold north of 150 million records. I think we can rightfully ignore r33 as a clueless dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 39October 24, 2018 1:29 AM

That guy is too short to be Freddie and doesn't have 1 ounce of his charisma. I won't be spending a single penny on this shite.

by Anonymousreply 40October 24, 2018 1:29 AM

[quote]But seriously - who give a fuck about Freddy Mercury? He died 26 years ago. All his most popular songs sound awful now. I've not heard one played on the radio in many many years. Who is going to go to this movie?

Holy shit. I have no interest in this movie but what you’ve written here about how dated and forgotten “Freddy Mercury’s songs” are is among the most clueless & ignorant things I’ve ever read here. Let me guess, you’re not a fan of music? Can you describe yourself a bit? Just wondering what kind of person would make this kind of pronouncement.

Caucasian Millennial?

by Anonymousreply 41October 24, 2018 1:44 AM

Freddie’s performance with Queen at Live Aid was arguably the greatest of all time. After Mick Jagger he was the greatest front man of all time. Some thing was better than Mick. He’s sorely missed and his story is worth telling. And he was gay.

by Anonymousreply 42October 24, 2018 1:53 AM

R33. That was exactly my sentiment. I made a similar comment near a gaggle of gays and you would think I murdered Cher. You’re right. It should have been a Netflix movie.

by Anonymousreply 43October 24, 2018 2:20 AM

For many people this will be [italic]tl:dr[/italic] but the Rolling Stone article I linked tells Freddie's actual life story, something Bohemian Rhapsody rewrites to suit the purposes of their dishonest and inane narrative.

Freddie was a fan of Smile, May's and Taylor's band before Queen, and they knew him well. In fact, he was always trying to advise them how they could perform - and present themselves - better. The movie script pretends they first met the night Smile's singer quit. Rather than Mercury, it was bassist John Deacon who was the last member to join Queen.

Most egregious of all (in this script) is that Freddie didn't know he was HIV+ until 1987, two years after Live Aid. The film shamelessly portrays their Live Aid performance as a "one more for The Gipper" moment after Freddie confides he has AIDS to his bandmates backstage. What a crock!

On top of that, the movie strongly implies that Mercury's homosexuality was his undoing (what a hateful cliché!) rather than a result of his own deliberately self-destructive behaviour.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44October 24, 2018 2:48 AM

It always looked like a bad made for TV movie.

by Anonymousreply 45October 24, 2018 3:32 AM

Lol, trying to say that no one knows who Queen is one of the most delusionally absurd things I’ve read here, and that’s saying something. Everyone knows Queen in some capacity, and everyone has heard of Freddie Mercury. Their music is used ALL the time in commericials, ALL. THE. TIME.

by Anonymousreply 46October 24, 2018 3:50 AM

[quote] Holy shit. what you’ve written here about how dated and forgotten “Freddy Mercury’s songs” are is among the most clueless & ignorant things I’ve ever read here. Let me guess, you’re not a fan of music? Can you describe yourself a bit? Just wondering what kind of person would make this kind of pronouncement.

Well - I'm not doing PR for the film for starts (like you) ...and yea - Mercury was big in the 70's but stale bread at this point. All the PR people on this thread foaming at the mouth about how relevant Mercury is are ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 47October 24, 2018 3:50 AM

Interesting with all the Bohemian Rhapsody stuff An Open Secret claims to have worked with Equire on an upcoming article on Bryan Singer. Given the group they've run with in the past year (Cernovich, Alex Jones, Enty, etc.), you think they actually have anything?

by Anonymousreply 48October 24, 2018 3:54 AM

[quote]trying to say that no one knows who Queen is one of the most delusionally absurd things I’ve read here, and that’s saying something. Everyone knows Queen in some capacity, and everyone has heard of Freddie Mercury. Their music is used ALL the time in commericials, ALL. THE. TIME.

Haha you need to take a break you're starting to hyperventilate. Your PR job can wait.

by Anonymousreply 49October 24, 2018 3:55 AM

So you refuse to describe yourself in any way. You accuse the rest of us as working PR for the movie. In my post, that you quoted, I said I have NO INTEREST IN SEEING THE MOVIE. It looks like pablum and it no doubt is. No one should see it. (Happy now, moron?)

You’re full of shit if you say you don’t hear their songs on the radio anymore. Of course they’re not going to get played on Hot 100 Justin Bieber stations, you stupid queen. The get played all the time on classic rock stations, and their songs are not forgotten by a long shot. I say this also as someone who isn’t the biggest fan of the band. I’ve never owned one of their albums. Another thing I’m not is totally fucking delusional.

Seriously, what kind of music do you usually listen to?

by Anonymousreply 50October 24, 2018 3:57 AM

I heard "Under Pressure" today on the radio, and I fucking blasted that shit. That song is one of the best ever!!!!

by Anonymousreply 51October 24, 2018 3:59 AM

[quote]Given the group they've run with in the past year (Cernovich, Alex Jones, Enty, etc.), you think they actually have anything?

No - just a bunch of insinuations. Apparently Singer covered his tracks - or maybe he didn't do that much. Maybe just a lot of smoke and not that much fire.

Anyway this movie sucks and he's acting strange so who knows ...

by Anonymousreply 52October 24, 2018 3:59 AM

And are you seriously saying that music being played in commercials — especially decades-old songs — doesn’t raise the profile of the musicians behind the songs? Like, raise it tenfold?

Please, lay out some more of your staggering ignorance. You’re so fearless about it, too; it’s really something else.

by Anonymousreply 53October 24, 2018 4:00 AM

[R52] Well at least Singer's career is going to sink a little more after this while Gabe Hoffman and Matt Valentina's egos will unfortunately swell.

by Anonymousreply 54October 24, 2018 4:03 AM

[quote]So you refuse to describe yourself in any way. You’re full of shit if you say you don’t hear their songs on the radio anymore. Of course they’re not going to get played on Hot 100 Justin Bieber stations, you stupid queen. The get played all the time on classic rock stations, and their songs are not forgotten by a long shot. I say this also as someone who isn’t the biggest fan of the band. I’ve never owned one of their albums. Another thing I’m not is totally fucking delusional. Seriously, what kind of music do you usually listen to?

Haha - sorry you really do sound 100% like PR. And sorry more - Mercury is totally not relevant. Such a joke.

by Anonymousreply 55October 24, 2018 4:06 AM

God, you’re an insufferable fucking moron, R55.

by Anonymousreply 56October 24, 2018 4:10 AM

[quote[ And are you seriously saying that music being played in commercials — especially decades-old songs — doesn’t raise the profile of the musicians behind the songs? Like, raise it tenfold? Please, lay out some more of your staggering ignorance. You’re so fearless about it, too; it’s really something else.

You remind me of the PR troll who was on the Tony Danza thread. You used the same line "it’s really something else." I get the feeling your a college age intern (female). I love how indignant you get !! It's your trademark

by Anonymousreply 57October 24, 2018 4:11 AM

I’m a 39-year-old man, and you need to fuck off and die, you pathetic, utterly clueless troll.

by Anonymousreply 58October 24, 2018 4:13 AM

Okay - whatever. If you are really a 39 y/o man it would be a very sad thing.

But we both know are an inexperienced PR troll who gets a excited and says stupid stuff ..

by Anonymousreply 59October 24, 2018 4:16 AM

R33/r55 is just trolling now. Like it knows from relevance. Freddie Mercury was one of the most iconic rock n' roll performers ever, and r33/r55 has offered nothing to support its sad little argument, so let them troll. Lonely shut-ins need to pass the time somehow.

by Anonymousreply 60October 24, 2018 4:16 AM

At least you did your homework and know that Queen's music is used in commercials.

Wow - impressive

by Anonymousreply 61October 24, 2018 4:18 AM

Yeah - r60 you've kind of run out of things to say. Maybe give it a rest for awhile. You're starting to be repetitious.

by Anonymousreply 62October 24, 2018 4:21 AM

R60, I think he’s either a Russian troll or an American Trump voter. Definitely not intelligent or mature. Culturally clueless, which is why I’m leaning toward Russian.

by Anonymousreply 63October 24, 2018 4:22 AM

Bohemian Rhapsody is probably the most universally beloved song on earth. Some of you guys need to get out more. Freddie Mercury is considered one of the greats along with Michael Jackson. He might not have been given his deserved due while he was still alive but his legacy has only grown over the past 30 years.

by Anonymousreply 64October 24, 2018 4:25 AM

[quote]Bohemian Rhapsody is probably the most universally beloved song on earth.

Uh... I personally wouldn’t go THAT far.

by Anonymousreply 65October 24, 2018 4:27 AM

This troll is given to hyperbole. It's actually pretty funny.

by Anonymousreply 66October 24, 2018 4:29 AM

Freddie Mercury was hot. Rami Malek, though pleasant looking, is not.

by Anonymousreply 67October 24, 2018 4:31 AM

Yea - this film is going nowhere. boring boring boring

by Anonymousreply 68October 24, 2018 4:32 AM

No, R66, it’s really not.

by Anonymousreply 69October 24, 2018 4:37 AM

Here is a good docudrama about Freddie, made for British TV - it's one of those documentaries with a lot of scripted scenes and the guy who plays Freddie is too white, but at least its purpose is to tell his story with some honesty instead of kissing Queen's collective ass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70October 24, 2018 4:50 AM

What other song is going to get an entire stadium singing acapella?only Bohemian Rhapsody.

No songs by Madonna or whoever you old queens listen to would. Thats' for damn sure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71October 24, 2018 4:51 AM

Fox should have said fuck you to the remaining members of Queen and done a great film about a Freddie Mercury type character named Frankie Venus with Non Queen music like how Fox changed The Pearl (screenplay about Janis Joplin's life) to The Rose with Bette Midler.

It could have been divoon. They could have just focused on the 'Freddie' character and his debauched and tragic life.

by Anonymousreply 72October 24, 2018 4:51 AM

...and left Brian May and the others as just background filler

by Anonymousreply 73October 24, 2018 4:52 AM

Couldn't stand them when Mercury was alive..certainly haven't changed my mind about his music since his death. Circus music .

by Anonymousreply 74October 24, 2018 4:59 AM

At least Lady Gaga actually SANG the Judy Garland songs in A Star is Born.

by Anonymousreply 75October 24, 2018 5:01 AM

R33 "Novelty Songs" Really? Right. You're a bitter wanker.

by Anonymousreply 76October 24, 2018 5:04 AM

Brian May will never let anybody else tell Queen's story. And he's probably pissed that everybody wants to see the movie for Freddie, not the other members.

by Anonymousreply 77October 24, 2018 5:06 AM

Nobody sings like Freddy! And back then they didn't have autotune machines! He was amazing!!! I wasn't old enough to attend any of his concerts.

He had a crush on one of the boys in the band right? Is that guy gay too?

by Anonymousreply 78October 24, 2018 5:07 AM

I love so many of their songs...I want to break free!

by Anonymousreply 79October 24, 2018 5:08 AM

See how handsome Freddie was. An interview in 1986 with Dave Clark.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80October 24, 2018 5:52 AM

He liked Star Wars.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81October 24, 2018 6:50 AM

LOL no nomination for Rami

by Anonymousreply 82October 24, 2018 7:35 AM

[quote]What other song is going to get an entire stadium singing acapella?only Bohemian Rhapsody.

[quote]No songs by Madonna or whoever you old queens listen to would. Thats' for damn sure.

You know that Bohemian Rhapsody predates anything by Madonna by quite a few years, right?

by Anonymousreply 83October 24, 2018 11:43 AM

Oh, guuuuuuurl!

by Anonymousreply 84October 24, 2018 12:18 PM

So, is Rami going to get his Oscar?

by Anonymousreply 85October 24, 2018 12:19 PM

Bohemian Rhapsody was basically the first “video” created for promotion that was actually filmed on video. Look at the effects. Other promotional songs were filmed before this. But this was a “video” if anyone was a Brian Wilson of the 70s, it was Freddie.

by Anonymousreply 86October 24, 2018 3:13 PM

r83, Yeah. And??? Bohemian Rhapsody is still 10 times more popular than any Madonna song.

by Anonymousreply 87October 24, 2018 3:29 PM

Good idea, R72. Kind of like how Todd Haynes managed to make Velvet Goldmine a David Bowie biopic, though it didn't star a character named David Bowie and had no Bowie music.

by Anonymousreply 88October 24, 2018 6:33 PM

The video at r70 makes it quite clear he was bisexual, not gay. He was still pursing sex with women after coming out.

by Anonymousreply 89October 25, 2018 2:01 AM

I saw the movie last night and this critic is FULL OF SHIT.

Bohemian Rhapsody is GREAT!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90November 2, 2018 6:49 PM

I'm sure the remaining Queen members would prefer a 2 hour commercial or the truth this is why things went this way...and everyone thought Bryan lost his shit over the metoo thing.

by Anonymousreply 91November 2, 2018 6:58 PM

Um, R86? We beg to differ.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92November 2, 2018 6:58 PM

There were also promotional music videos for Beatles songs shot on videotape in like 1968.

by Anonymousreply 93November 2, 2018 7:00 PM

R70=Jezebel reading retard.

by Anonymousreply 94November 2, 2018 7:00 PM

R64 Hah. Funny you should say that. I loathe Queen's 70s material and MJ's 80s material. But you are right, both are huge artists/sellers, icons. People should not feed the trolls.

by Anonymousreply 95November 2, 2018 7:13 PM

A bunch of queens queening out over a queeny queen queening it up in a film about Queen.

by Anonymousreply 96November 2, 2018 7:27 PM

Jesus christ the moronic level of discourse these days on DL is embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 97November 2, 2018 7:32 PM

'When I accept my Oscar for best director---I plan on thanking all of my DL fans during my acceptance speech"------Bryan Singer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98November 2, 2018 7:49 PM

The movie is INACCURATE -----Freddie announcing he had AIDS at Live Aid never happened---by all accounts he didn't become POZ for years after that. Plus Rami Malik Sings (look it up)...Who the hell wants to hear Malek sing?. This movie is a One Weekend "Hit"---I have no intention of legitimizing Bryan Singers career...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99November 2, 2018 7:59 PM

R99 You are absolutely correct that he did not find out he was HIV positive before the LiveAid concerti in 1985. According to accounts he found out in 1987, however I don't think he or anyone else knew when he contracted the virus. Happy to be corrected on this assumption.

by Anonymousreply 100November 3, 2018 5:12 AM

I saw it tonight. I can't lie - i was entertained. The music is just so good. And Rami is wonderful, especially when he's '80s Freddie.

But so many inaccuracies, like the disclosure of being HIV positive. Writing We Will Rock You comes after Crazy Little Thing Called Love and during The Game era (???).

This could have been a great film. But too many differing visions. It really needed, um, One Vision.

by Anonymousreply 101November 3, 2018 5:43 AM

R4, WTF? WHY rewrite the basics of Mercury's true story. There are good portrayals on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 102November 3, 2018 6:14 AM

R71 well, she has sold out stadiums

by Anonymousreply 103November 3, 2018 6:27 AM

I will wait until it comes to HBO/Showtime, biopics seem like they are made for TV

by Anonymousreply 104November 3, 2018 6:32 AM

I saw it tonight and I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed it. I wasn’t sure how Rami would do and he did a terrific job. His commitment to the film shows. I hope the film does well.

by Anonymousreply 105November 4, 2018 5:57 AM

How does he show 'his commitment to the film', R105?

Does he sweat? Mime to a soundtrack? Or show his penis?

by Anonymousreply 106November 4, 2018 5:04 AM

Rami was fantastic as Freddie imo, I thought he would be awful since the trailer didn't convince me but he ended up doing great.

by Anonymousreply 107November 4, 2018 5:06 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!