Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

We're Considering This House ....

Located in Carmel. It's on the small side but both XX and I are over 50 and downsizing, getting rid of all of the shit we've accumulated in our lives. Realtor located this gem and we're seriously considering it.

What say you DL ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281October 31, 2018 6:29 AM

It’s so convenient to Rt 1, so I hope you enjoy the road noise. It’s not so convenient to the charming part of Carmel-by-the-Sea. You’re a 7 block walk to to anything. How does that sound?

by Anonymousreply 1October 19, 2018 11:17 PM

GEM? It looks like a shack. Basically a weekend home. Sorry. I'm sure it's not cheap either.

About 16 years ago, a close female friend and her husband moved from NYC to outside San Francisco, think the town is called Vallejo? I was totally shocked at the dump of a house they paid $600,000 for. It's not even brick! It looks like a cottage, not a place anyone would live full time.

Money sure doesn't go very far these days.

by Anonymousreply 2October 19, 2018 11:18 PM

I say yes...it's gorgeous and homey...you need not do a thing to it. Ready to move in and host small dinner parties.

by Anonymousreply 3October 19, 2018 11:20 PM

R2

Vallejo has a Six Flags and that alone is it's draw.

by Anonymousreply 4October 19, 2018 11:21 PM

It's not my style, but I like it, OP. I like that it's open to the outdoor space. You won't have to do any work on it, it seems.

by Anonymousreply 5October 19, 2018 11:22 PM

Is it really only 900 Sf? I have a 1-br apt that's 950 or so (per the developer, but I think it's more like 785). It seems cozy. But if it's truly only 900 sf I wonder if you'll feel claustrophobic. How did you feel when you visited it, about the room size and having private space so you aren't living on top of each other?

I can't help thinking this is a house that Pottery Barn bought to take photos of their latest wares. Not a bad thing - just has that vibe. Maybe you can make some side cash renting it out to them from time to time.

by Anonymousreply 6October 19, 2018 11:23 PM

Fuck the haters, OP. It’s absolutely darling, especially the cute lil kitchen. I approve.

by Anonymousreply 7October 19, 2018 11:27 PM

Vallejo? Vallejo got DIRT cheap during the last housing crash. I'm talking single family homes for under $100K.

by Anonymousreply 8October 19, 2018 11:27 PM

I should add I DO like the finishes you'll inherit (bath, kitchen, curtains, moldings / trim, paint color). It looks like they did a nice upgrade and are utilizing the space well (e.g., cabinet next to master sink rather than just blank space, your little breakfast booth / nook)

by Anonymousreply 9October 19, 2018 11:28 PM

I adore it! If I win the lottery tonight I'd buy it out from under you!

But then, my impossible pipe dream is a small house in a lovely area.

by Anonymousreply 10October 19, 2018 11:31 PM

It's a gem, OP. R1 seems to know the area well, so it might be worth it to do an inventory of his objections. R1 can be bitchy and helpful at the same time, which is Data Lounge perfection.

by Anonymousreply 11October 19, 2018 11:33 PM

$1 million for that shack??!

by Anonymousreply 12October 19, 2018 11:34 PM

I can see you and Doris Day having lunch in that house, OP, you should call her.

by Anonymousreply 13October 19, 2018 11:35 PM

It's totally charming! Go for it, OP! Carmel is one of the closest places to Heaven on Earth!!!!

by Anonymousreply 14October 19, 2018 11:36 PM

It's a few blocks off of Ocean, the main drag, which is close enough to be within walking distance but far enough that not many tourists will be wandering into your front yard or taking your picture as you work on your garden.

I love it, or at least, I'd love it once something was done about that awful beige interior.

by Anonymousreply 15October 19, 2018 11:37 PM

Darling Carmel home. Yes, expensive but Carmel. What’s not to like? Hope you are happy there.

by Anonymousreply 16October 19, 2018 11:37 PM

pretty. homey. looks secluded.

by Anonymousreply 17October 19, 2018 11:37 PM

Small but dreamy.

by Anonymousreply 18October 19, 2018 11:38 PM

1 million in Carmel is for the poors.

by Anonymousreply 19October 19, 2018 11:39 PM

Adorable. I love it.

by Anonymousreply 20October 19, 2018 11:40 PM

It's very cute. Go for it OP

by Anonymousreply 21October 19, 2018 11:41 PM

Charming, and with great outdoor spaces...

by Anonymousreply 22October 19, 2018 11:44 PM

[quote]Vallejo has a Six Flags and that alone is it's draw.

My friend and her husband work in the arts, I can assure you, they're not the types into Six Flags. They moved there due to their jobs and could not afford to lived directly in San Francisco, though, they do have to travel there every day for work. My friend and her husband hate living there, when it's time to retire, they hope to come back to NYC .

Ironically, they lived on the LES in NYC when it was still fairly dangerous, they were never robbed or mugged. Then, they move to Vallejo, where their home has been robbed two times! The stories she tells me about the lunatics on the streets in San Francisco, and on their public transport system, would drive me back to NYC.

The fact they they are paying so much to live a substandard life there is also really depressing.

by Anonymousreply 23October 19, 2018 11:45 PM

I love it, OP, I absolutely love it, so I bought it. Just now.

by Anonymousreply 24October 19, 2018 11:49 PM

OP here. We currently live in Danville, just east of SF. Our positions allow us the ability to move so long as we're within a certain distance for his job. Mine is unrestricted. Also, we've been looking in Carmel for over a year and are very familiar with the area at this point.

by Anonymousreply 25October 19, 2018 11:50 PM

Love the house, hate the price

by Anonymousreply 26October 19, 2018 11:50 PM

Resident legend Doris Day snubs you, r26.

by Anonymousreply 27October 19, 2018 11:52 PM

Built in 1931, so check the electricity, the plumbing, and the sewer. Also, check the windows and doors and make sure there is enough closet space. I don't see much in the way of closets and there is no garage, so you'd better be really downsizing. No dining room, which is fine if you're not going to do any entertaining. No garage and it's not clear if there is any off-street parking at all.

by Anonymousreply 28October 19, 2018 11:53 PM

I fucking love it, OP. Love.

Small houses on one level are perfect for later in life.

by Anonymousreply 29October 19, 2018 11:55 PM

can dine outside in the pretty outdoor spaces, very inviting

by Anonymousreply 30October 19, 2018 11:58 PM

I love it if for nothing else but that breakfast nook.

by Anonymousreply 31October 19, 2018 11:58 PM

Seems like a lot of money for not much space, but but I’m sure that you’ve done comps and know what to offer. It’s lovely and I’m sure your taste in furniture is better than theirs. Perfect space to go minimalist.

by Anonymousreply 32October 20, 2018 12:13 AM

"XX"? Is they a they?

by Anonymousreply 33October 20, 2018 12:22 AM

I have a similarly sized cottage in Carmel Highlands that I use on weekends and short vacations. I had one in Carmel (Golden Rectangle) that I sold due due to the everpresent and oppressive tourist activity........I always felt like I was dealing with a mob whether it was shopping, errands, dining or just hanging out on the beach.

If you don't mind LOTS of tourist activity, go for it. Otherwise, you might want to check out Carmel Valley or the Highlands. Both are much quieter and really very beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 34October 20, 2018 12:28 AM

The house is lovely and so are all of the outdoor spaces. It looks like the small area is really utilized well. I am also downsizing and really appreciate my smaller home where I work. I have a larger home in another state where I go for weekends and holidays. The size is no longer as appealing as it was. I doubt I will keep it after I retire.

I would jump at the dream cottage you've found!

by Anonymousreply 35October 20, 2018 12:35 AM

OP for $949,000 you could buy this 6 beds 7 baths 8,440 sq ft home in Carmel, Indiana.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36October 20, 2018 12:36 AM

Make sure that you hire a [italic]really[/italic] good home inspector and don't use the one supplied by the real estate agent. A home that old is likely to be a money pit.

by Anonymousreply 37October 20, 2018 12:37 AM

R36 resisting urge to slap anyone who confuses Carmel By the Sea with Carmel Indiana

by Anonymousreply 38October 20, 2018 12:38 AM

Oh I wasn't confused with anything but look what you get for your dollar.

by Anonymousreply 39October 20, 2018 12:40 AM

I suspect that R36 wasn't confused; just making a point. Personally, I agree; I wouldn't spend a million dollars on that house. I wouldn't go to Carmel, Indiana, either, but if you're going to spend that much money there are better alternatives.

by Anonymousreply 40October 20, 2018 12:40 AM

Carmel, Indiana.

The Indianapolis suburb was recently named the No. 1 place to live in the United States, according to a study by 24/7 Wall St.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41October 20, 2018 12:44 AM

I like cottage life and in that climate should be sufficient.

by Anonymousreply 42October 20, 2018 12:45 AM

It's darling, OP. Buy it and live happily ever after.

by Anonymousreply 43October 20, 2018 12:47 AM

Why not live on a cruise ship?

by Anonymousreply 44October 20, 2018 12:50 AM

How precious! You and your XX (whatever the fuck that is) can wake and wander outside, saggy balls (or breasts) swinging gaily, for a croissant and coffee on the patio.

Also, does it come with A/C? You may think it's unnecessary, but with climate change....

Do you have to deal with that hag Kim DiBenedetto? I hate her 'do. Tell her to get a new one or you won't buy it.

by Anonymousreply 45October 20, 2018 12:53 AM

I love it but I don’t live the price.

One caveat - you will need to ensure that your furniture will fit. That couch/coffee table/leather chair doesn’t leave a lot of room to maneuver at that end of the living room.

Also it doesn’t seem like a lot of room with the pics with the bed. (#18 and 19).

If you and XX are physically big, will you fit in the breakfast nook? I’m over 6 feet and I’m wondering if I could fit there comfortably.

Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 46October 20, 2018 12:58 AM

OP, what is an XX if you don’t mind?

by Anonymousreply 47October 20, 2018 1:00 AM

Very nice. Fuck the naysayers. I agree on the inspection -- get someone who is not the go-to recommend of your realtor. I sold a 1920s home in Seattle and it still had knob and tube wiring in places. Of course, the buyer didn't care, and maybe you don't need to either, but it's nice to know what you're getting into. Small spaces can be great in the right location, and all of us (except, of course, the many, many of the .01% -- who oddly spend their time on the DL), will be living in smaller and smaller digs as we age. Cheers and mazeltov!

by Anonymousreply 48October 20, 2018 1:01 AM

I think it looks lovely, OP

by Anonymousreply 49October 20, 2018 1:02 AM

Is Clint Eastwood still the mayor?

by Anonymousreply 50October 20, 2018 1:03 AM

I would hope they upgraded the guts of the place (wiring, plumbing ) when they did the cosmetic updates, which require a lot of demo anyway - but yeah, definitely check on that. It seems like such a relaxing place, provided you aren't mired down in unexpected maintenance which would ruin the whole thing.

My home inspector missed EVERYTHING, btw. I wonder if you're allowed to hire an electrician and a plumber alongside the home inspector - since they can be a second set of eyes and are far more motivated to find problems (since you'll likely hire them to fix it). Inspectors are actually not allowed to comment on the age of things (at least where I live) like the hot water heater being 10 years old. It would be the first thing a plumber would say. You may or may not notice that. It's a pretty easy fix, for around $1200 (or much more, depending on what you buy & how it is hooked up). But it's just one example of what an inspector won't catch. Inspectors, in my experience (twice) tend to point out irrelevant and sometimes blatantly false info... like a brand new AC unit "not cooling fast enough" or a deck "not having sufficient support" - both wrong & distracting.

by Anonymousreply 51October 20, 2018 1:07 AM

Sure!

by Anonymousreply 52October 20, 2018 1:08 AM

A million dollars for a ...guest house?

by Anonymousreply 53October 20, 2018 1:10 AM

“Secluded,” R17? It’s on a postage-stamp tiny lot with the neighbors looming right on top of it on either side. And no privacy either with all that glass-is the front door all glass? Eek. Like living in a fishbowl. A teeny tiny fishbowl.

by Anonymousreply 54October 20, 2018 1:14 AM

Agree that the kitchen nook / eating area looks cramped, even for a smaller person. Carmel does get colder temperatures, cold enough to not be able to just eat outside all the time.

by Anonymousreply 55October 20, 2018 1:18 AM

R47 .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56October 20, 2018 1:19 AM

R2 You won't find a lot of brick houses in California because of earthquakes.

by Anonymousreply 57October 20, 2018 1:21 AM

r54 can tell from the pics, too close neighbors are deal breaker for me

by Anonymousreply 58October 20, 2018 1:22 AM

cant tell from pics of the proximity of the neighbors

by Anonymousreply 59October 20, 2018 1:25 AM

Looks nice, if a bit crowded. The walls look like cardboard.

by Anonymousreply 60October 20, 2018 1:31 AM

You can see the neighbors roofline in at least one photo. That would drive me crazy.

And we like to work in the garage building furniture and things so this property wouldn't work for us

It's cute for what it is, a small cottage by the sea, but I can't se two men living happily here.

by Anonymousreply 61October 20, 2018 1:31 AM

[quote]I wonder if you're allowed to hire an electrician and a plumber alongside the home inspector

You can certainly ask and the seller would probably agree, assuming that you're the one paying for it.

by Anonymousreply 62October 20, 2018 1:33 AM

The big one for me that the inspector missed was the sewer line. A single camera sent down that line would have demonstrated a disaster waiting to happen. That was a $20k fix a dozen years ago.

by Anonymousreply 63October 20, 2018 1:34 AM

Small or not, I'd live there in a split second. Lovely and cozy, oozing with charm.

by Anonymousreply 64October 20, 2018 1:35 AM

The house is very cute. I'd go for it. And that hanging pitchfork is perfect for when your on Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 65October 20, 2018 1:36 AM

[quote] Lovely and cozy, oozing with charm.

It'll be oozing with something else once the sling is installed!

by Anonymousreply 66October 20, 2018 1:36 AM

When you fart in the kitchen your partner will hear no matter where he is on the property.

by Anonymousreply 67October 20, 2018 1:42 AM

Cute, but 1 mil is nuts.

by Anonymousreply 68October 20, 2018 1:51 AM

This looks "cozy" but it must be really small in person coz you know they make all the rooms look bigger on these real estate listings.

Also, the beams above the bed is bad feng shui.

I don't dig the fireplace.

It's OK.

by Anonymousreply 69October 20, 2018 1:52 AM

I grew up in an 800sq ft house and I’m not sure if I’d live in a home that small with someone else. I am an only child so there were only 3 of us but it was tight and there’s not a lot of privacy. You really will hear a fart from the other room, you’ll annoy your partner if you want to make a call or listen to music and they want to read or nap.

If you are coming from a large family home make sure you can comfortably live together in such a small space permanently especially as it sounds like one (or both?) of you will be working from home.

Otherwise it’s cute and Carmel really is storybook perfect. My ex’s extended family own a hotel there, the Hofsas House. We spent a lot of time there and I’d move tomorrow if it was feasible.

by Anonymousreply 70October 20, 2018 1:55 AM

OP, don't listen to the cunts who don't like this place -I think it's lovely and it has many elegant touches. Go for it if you have the cash. Carmel is a gorgeous place and you'll be very happy there.

by Anonymousreply 71October 20, 2018 1:57 AM

Just the stuff from my master bedroom would fill that entire house up ! Im a garage sale/estate sale/thrift queen who likes his stuff way too much,I just couldnt handle such a small space. Its adorable,but the neighbors being so close and it being so tiny would quickly kill the charm.

by Anonymousreply 72October 20, 2018 2:10 AM

I love it OP! Gorgeous cottage....lovely lovely outdoor space. Go for it.

by Anonymousreply 73October 20, 2018 2:14 AM

May we come live with you? My little dog and I don't take up very much room.

I love your new home. and may you and your beloved live and love there happily ever after.

So be it.

by Anonymousreply 74October 20, 2018 2:18 AM

This is Carmel. Most homes are 3rd or 4th homes for rich people. Walk down the streets at night. No street lights and very few lights on inside. This town is for old money much like a Pebble Beach. My only complaint with my parents home there is that the weather is gloomy and wet.

by Anonymousreply 75October 20, 2018 2:20 AM

Where do the stairs off the back deck lead to? The front is the bricked in part, right? Is there any actual open lawn or is is all deck and bricks with plants?

I think it's adorable. Exactly what I'd look for. But, I can never get my mind around people having that much money to spend on things while others can't buy food or medicine in this country. That price tag is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 76October 20, 2018 2:44 AM

“But, I can never get my mind around people having that much money to spend on things while others can't buy food or medicine in this country. That price tag is ridiculous.”

I was in Carmel and during my morning walk I saw a beachfront house for sale. Nothing special, looked very 70s and not in a cool retro way. Looked it up - 4.5 million! A newer property on the same street 7 million! I suspect at 1 million OP would be the “poor relation” in town.

by Anonymousreply 77October 20, 2018 2:48 AM

I live in 600 square feet in NYC. The idea of moving out of NYC to live in a space that size is depressing. For the SAME price as NYC! I get Carmel is nice - but no. Why wouldn’t you buy something bigger a little farther out. It’s not a totally walkable existence nor great public transport like SF. I get the idea of living in the pretty town of Carmel but would never do it for that little space for that much money. That’s insane.

And as a second home market, values there will crash harder than the main cities. Wait for a downturn then reconsider in 2-3 years. In the meantime, spend $1,000/month visiting - pennies compared to the commitment you are about to make.

by Anonymousreply 78October 20, 2018 3:00 AM

I loved Carmel and the whole Monterey Peninsula. I’d move back there tomorrow. It is ... expensive, to put it mildly. Still, one of my favorite spots in the world is nearby on 17 Mile Drive at Pescadero Point.

For Carmel, that’s a pretty good deal and I concur with other DLers that you’re less likely to have tourists in your windows taking pictures. But it’s Carmel and you know how they get.

by Anonymousreply 79October 20, 2018 3:44 AM

Well, it’s certainly small.

by Anonymousreply 80October 20, 2018 3:49 AM

Twee! Go for it.

by Anonymousreply 81October 20, 2018 3:55 AM

Worth every penny!

by Anonymousreply 82October 20, 2018 4:04 AM

Not much room to swan about in muslin artist smocks, but I like it.

by Anonymousreply 83October 20, 2018 4:06 AM

Is that red bricked-up area in front of the house accessible for parking a car? The first pic only indicated a pedestrian gate to the property. I agree with someone upthread who said no private parking would be a deal breaker.

by Anonymousreply 84October 20, 2018 4:14 AM

Don't do it, OP. Carmel, CA, is wall to wall Republicans. (So is Carmel, IN, for that matter.) Not only is it cold and wet and foggy day after day after day, it all but sits on the San Andreas fault.

The only thing worse would be Carmel, IN.

by Anonymousreply 85October 20, 2018 4:16 AM

I have a friend on FB who lives in Carmel and her house is gorg! View of sea and huge, she's constantly posting beautiful sunsets and just awesome images of her view.

Life is short, you only live once. go for it but hope you don't have too much furniture.

by Anonymousreply 86October 20, 2018 4:21 AM

Carmel, Indiana has neighborhoods of mid-century modern masterpieces, like this one by female architect Avriel Shull.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87October 20, 2018 4:44 AM

I find the home warm and inviting OP.

by Anonymousreply 88October 20, 2018 4:48 AM

I got increasing claustrophobia browsing the pics. The deck/outside areas are lovely. I'd pitch a tent and live there rather than that cramped little box of a house.

by Anonymousreply 89October 20, 2018 4:52 AM

from the floor plan, there is a car port.

but the rooms are very small, the beds are so close the wall. and from one of the bedroom you can see the neighbor's house.

No thank you.

by Anonymousreply 90October 20, 2018 5:05 AM

That's got to be the cheapest house in the area. Basically lot value. Too bad you can't afford something a little bigger.

by Anonymousreply 91October 20, 2018 5:23 AM

It’s darling. But I would put a larger dinette in the nook where the daybed is and make a built in desk in the little kitchen nook.

by Anonymousreply 92October 20, 2018 6:40 AM

It's a shack - 900 sq ft for a million? I know it's Carmel - but really? If you want more money to do other things - there has to be other options.

I would not be happy moving into this and feeling good about my retirement. There will be fights - lots of them. It's too damn small.

by Anonymousreply 93October 20, 2018 6:49 AM

OP, would you use the second bedroom as office space? R92 has good ideas.

by Anonymousreply 94October 20, 2018 7:04 AM

Ceiling beams are bad fens shui...get a consult seriously

by Anonymousreply 95October 20, 2018 7:11 AM

Yes bad Feng shui. Also it looks like a beach shack. Is it even insultated? Looks like it could blow away. Some of the walls look paper thin.

by Anonymousreply 96October 20, 2018 7:51 AM

Enjoy your claustrophobia

by Anonymousreply 97October 20, 2018 5:53 PM

Your heating cost could be high with that cheap construction..keep looking mates!

by Anonymousreply 98October 20, 2018 6:39 PM

It's beautiful, OP. I think many posters are a wee bit jealous.

by Anonymousreply 99October 20, 2018 6:50 PM

If it feels like “home” to you, then buy it. It’s $1 million, though. Will you be financially strapped? Are able to have a comfortable lifestyle after you buy it? Will you have ample savings? The “Great Recession” of 2008 could very well happen again and you’ll need to be prepared for it.

by Anonymousreply 100October 20, 2018 7:35 PM

I don’t know, if I had $1Million to spend on a house I’d damn sure want some acreage and privacy. This little box sits on less than 1/10 acre, no views, no privacy whatsoever. Pass.

by Anonymousreply 101October 20, 2018 7:43 PM

The wildfires will eat that house in one minute

by Anonymousreply 102October 20, 2018 7:52 PM

I own a similar-sized (800 sq. ft., although it does have a large garage) but even older (1910) cottage in Napa. (It was inherited.) I've had it rented out since I got it, but I think it's valued at about half the price of this one. Napa is not quite as charming as Carmel, but it's nice and is closer to big city amenities. I might end up living there later in life but for now it's just too small.

by Anonymousreply 103October 20, 2018 9:34 PM

No wild fire will get that house, R102. Carmel is fogged in most of the time. Carmel is either wet or at least moist, most of the time. The house may get mold and have mushrooms growing in it, but it is not likely to burn.

by Anonymousreply 104October 20, 2018 9:38 PM

YOu could get something similar in Chico for $150K but don't tell anyone.

by Anonymousreply 105October 20, 2018 9:43 PM

What if ur neighbors are cranking the tv?

by Anonymousreply 106October 20, 2018 9:47 PM

You'll hear all your neighbors' tired stories over the fence while you're trying to read in your quaint outdoor space.

by Anonymousreply 107October 20, 2018 9:53 PM

There was a House hunters where some gay guys bought in downtown Napa ..Victorian charmer walk to town. Better weather than Carmel by the sea

by Anonymousreply 108October 20, 2018 10:13 PM

If there’s a heat wave and many homes there don’t have AC you will hear your neighbors moaning and groaning....ewww

by Anonymousreply 109October 20, 2018 10:35 PM

There's also the Sonoma area to consider, although its getting wildly expensive as well.

Are you moving from San Fransisco, OP?

by Anonymousreply 110October 20, 2018 10:38 PM

I don't know anything about Carmel, but, wow, that's a great house. Beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 111October 20, 2018 10:58 PM

If I win the lottery, I'm buying that house. Then I'm buying the neighbor's houses and knocking them down, so I don't have to deal with their shit being that close!

by Anonymousreply 112October 20, 2018 11:16 PM

Judging from the pics only, it looks fantastic! Besides the obvious condition it’s in, I would worry about safety and neighbors (Republicans! Trumpers!)

by Anonymousreply 113October 20, 2018 11:22 PM

Safety? Carmel is the sort of filthy-rich small town where the police department responds to any calls within 30 seconds, glad to have something to do for once! But yeah, most of your neighbors will be fuck-you-I-got-mine Republicans. So while I adore the house, you'll have to think about what kind of social life will be possible there. There's got to be some sort of gay community in Monterey, but what about Carmel itself?

And for those of you who missed it, the OP and his hubby live in Danville, a wealthy suburb in the eastern rim of the San Francisco Bay Area urban sprawl. If they sell a Danville home now, they'll be comfortably set for retirement elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 114October 20, 2018 11:34 PM

[quote]I can see you and Doris Day having lunch in that house, OP, you should call her.

OMG, Doris is really sweet, don't get me wrong.

But she leaves my place covered with dog hair

She's always trying to pawn off some rescue animal on you

And honestly, she farts...I mean A LOT...even for a 96 year old.

(Of course, she always blames the dogs.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115October 20, 2018 11:59 PM

Has OP replied anywhere?

by Anonymousreply 116October 21, 2018 12:01 AM

That home likely sold today

by Anonymousreply 117October 21, 2018 12:41 AM

That house makes a NYC apartment seem spacious. it's a small bedroom, tiny kitchen and tiny living room with a large closet that's being called a second bedroom and a bit of outdoor space-- look at the floorplan (linked below)--that second bedroom is only 11.5 x 7.

It's furnished in exactly the way I imagine many DL eldergay homes to be-- is that why you all love it?

I think it would be hard for two people to live in that space full time, even with the outdoor space.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118October 21, 2018 12:46 AM

I’d get smaller scale furniture. It’s a nice looking small home. I’d enjoy it myself.

by Anonymousreply 119October 21, 2018 12:49 AM

You can get a storage space nearby I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 120October 21, 2018 1:18 AM

There’s hardly any outdoor space though, R118. It’s a privacy fence enclosing less than 1/10 of an acre which is like nothing. And it’s right on the street and has the neighbors right on top of it. You’d have traffic noise just feet away from the front door plus the people next door also just feet away. I can’t believe anyone would pay close to a million dollars for that.

by Anonymousreply 121October 21, 2018 1:42 AM

Carmel gets fogged in only twice a day. It’s pretty reliable that way and it’s pretty charming

by Anonymousreply 122October 21, 2018 2:02 AM

I'd rather do Laguna.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123October 21, 2018 2:16 AM

OP said the hubby is constrained on localeso Laguna probably won’t work.

by Anonymousreply 124October 21, 2018 2:27 AM

No garage would kill it for me, but maybe that's not important to you. Also, is that a HUGE tree trunk I see off the deck? If so, make sure to have the health and safety of that specimen checked out.

by Anonymousreply 125October 21, 2018 2:39 AM

Thanks for posting the floorplan, R118. I think I’d enclose part of that deck, actually.

by Anonymousreply 126October 21, 2018 2:39 AM

I hope you like tourists...because Carmel is CRAWLING with them 24/7

by Anonymousreply 127October 21, 2018 2:41 AM

R121 R126 -- agree with you both. For me the issue is the scale of the rooms. They're just so tiny and claustrophobic.

by Anonymousreply 128October 21, 2018 2:44 AM

What a fucking rip-off.

by Anonymousreply 129October 21, 2018 2:47 AM

It would be best to blow out all the walls to make it less claustrophobic.

by Anonymousreply 130October 21, 2018 2:47 AM

I love it. I am not into big mansions anyway. The grounds look lovely and I love the way it is laid out.

by Anonymousreply 131October 21, 2018 2:49 AM

Seems overpriced if you look at comps

by Anonymousreply 132October 21, 2018 2:53 AM

The living room furniture looks oversized and adds to the cramped feel. Also the couch shouldn’t be squarely facing the front door. Yes, I realize it’s staged, but it’s not staged to the best advantage.

by Anonymousreply 133October 21, 2018 2:53 AM

When you look at the satellite picture of the house you can see that the neighbors's homes are very, very close. Too close.

by Anonymousreply 134October 21, 2018 3:00 AM

It's too,small....you will,grow to hate it over time unless you have a second home

by Anonymousreply 135October 21, 2018 3:13 AM

Rule of thumb is 1000 square feet per family member.

by Anonymousreply 136October 21, 2018 3:14 AM

I wouldn't want to hear everything my neighbors are up to...

by Anonymousreply 137October 21, 2018 3:18 AM

OP did you guys get it?

by Anonymousreply 138October 21, 2018 3:20 AM

Might as well before you croak

by Anonymousreply 139October 21, 2018 3:21 AM

OP doesn't respond.

by Anonymousreply 140October 21, 2018 3:22 AM

So what are you downsizing from, OP?

by Anonymousreply 141October 21, 2018 3:23 AM

Cute place, but needs some color. All thosevearth tones are too depressing for me, espdcially if it is rainy/dreary out.

by Anonymousreply 142October 21, 2018 3:31 AM

R136, A family of parents and 3 kids needs 5000 square feet? Many of us were deprived of our childhood square footage. That explains why so many posters are so angry.

by Anonymousreply 143October 21, 2018 3:50 AM

for a million dollar house, that kitchen seems very basic

by Anonymousreply 144October 21, 2018 3:53 AM

[quote]the neighbors's homes

Oh, dear-ing myself

by Anonymousreply 145October 21, 2018 4:04 AM

did you look up real estate records to see who is living next door? or on the street?

by Anonymousreply 146October 21, 2018 4:46 AM

There's no real need to do that, R146. Not in Carmel-by-the-Sea. In almost every instance, your neighbor will be rich, Republican, and a minimum of 55 years of age.

by Anonymousreply 147October 21, 2018 1:58 PM

It's funny how people keep asking the OP things, apparently oblivious to the fact he's never replied once in 2 days.

by Anonymousreply 148October 21, 2018 2:04 PM

I love those tiny Carmel houses. It would be fun to have one as a weekend getaway.

by Anonymousreply 149October 21, 2018 2:11 PM

Per the floor plan, the three bamboo shelves in the bathroom are the linen closet. Since they are not fixtures, you're not even going to get those.

This is not a house in which to reside. It is a vacation home for a rich, serious, golfer.

by Anonymousreply 150October 21, 2018 2:15 PM

Whoever said Laguna is crazy. For $1 million you would be lucky to find a 2 bedroom apartment converted to condo, and no view either.

by Anonymousreply 151October 21, 2018 2:17 PM

CA market is crazy. A shack in a second home town near the highway is $1 million! Sorry but I would definitely go for a $500,000 baction home somewhere else and visit Carmel once a month

by Anonymousreply 152October 21, 2018 3:00 PM

When I was renovating my house, I lived in a little house on the property with my partner. We thought it would be a lot of fun and an adventure.

We ended up almost killing each other and spent as little time as possible in the 800 square foot place. Make sure this is something you will be comfortable with. We are very laid back and easy going and still had meltdowns.

by Anonymousreply 153October 21, 2018 3:07 PM

Definitely get background checks on all your neighbors.

by Anonymousreply 154October 21, 2018 3:11 PM

I'm waiting to see what happens with Proposition 5 before I make any housing decisions. Moving to a more expensive place right now would cause a HUGE increase in property taxes and with the new caps on deductibility, it just doesn't make sense.

by Anonymousreply 155October 21, 2018 4:08 PM

I think I d bump out the living room onto the brick patio in front. The brick is nice but realistically, is anyone going to sit out there when you have a shady deck in the back?

by Anonymousreply 156October 21, 2018 4:35 PM

Lovely mobile home.

by Anonymousreply 157October 21, 2018 4:42 PM

r156, I would bet zoning would require a set back and the lot is tiny.

by Anonymousreply 158October 21, 2018 4:43 PM

I think it’s adorable. I’d move in in a second. If zoning allows it would also make a great Airbnb or you could list it in one of those house swap sites if y’all had a hankering for travel.

by Anonymousreply 159October 21, 2018 4:45 PM

The “grounds,” R131? Lol There are no grounds. There’s practically no sq. footage outside (or inside for that matter.) And I agree with R133. I hate a house with the front door opening into the middle of the luving room. Who wants to sit in a room with the front door glaring at you? I need an entryway that’s separate. This house is ridiculous at that price, I don’t care where it is.

by Anonymousreply 160October 21, 2018 4:54 PM

What about parking?

by Anonymousreply 161October 21, 2018 4:56 PM

Cute as button, OP!

by Anonymousreply 162October 21, 2018 5:08 PM

There's no place to dine. There's that little breakfast nook for 2, but that's it.

You could only have friends over for dinner on the outdoor deck.

Perhaps that 2nd bedroom could be converted as a dining area.... but I think I'd want that as an office.

This house is nice for 1 person... but even then, the space has major problems.

by Anonymousreply 163October 21, 2018 5:08 PM

I get that they're downsizing but, even considering that, you still need storage space. There is no linen closet, no hall closet, no garage, no shed, only a tiny closet in the second (tiny) bedroom, only a few cabinets in the kitchen, none in the laundry room, as far as I can tell, and there doesn't appear to be an attic. Where do you store your seasonal decorations, linens, and clothing? Your vacuum cleaner, mop, and broom? Your leaf blower and rake?

I can see it as a vacation home or AirBnB rental but not as a permanent home.

by Anonymousreply 164October 21, 2018 5:18 PM

I think you just adjust when the space is smaller. My partner, his six siblings, parents and a grandmother lived in 1100 square feet with 3 bedrooms and one bathroom. Still a close and happy family today.

by Anonymousreply 165October 21, 2018 5:47 PM

They wouldn’t need a leaf blower or a rake. There’s no lawn, just a tiny brick space outside.

by Anonymousreply 166October 21, 2018 5:49 PM

R166, look at all of the trees around this place. They're going to drop leaves onto that brick space. How are you planning to remove them?

by Anonymousreply 167October 21, 2018 5:51 PM

I'd love to know the house's history. Built in 1931, just imagine Carmel then. Maybe a trysting spot for some San Franciscan. Wonder who's lived there throughout time. If these walls could talk ...

by Anonymousreply 168October 21, 2018 6:15 PM

This little 960 foot 1 BR is over a million.

There's an open house at OP's place today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169October 21, 2018 6:18 PM

Op, can you build up? If so, I'd get rid of the so called second bedroom (anything that's only 7' wide can't really be called a bedroom anyway) and use that space to open up the kitchen to a larger dining area. Then I'd put one or two bedrooms and a second full bath on the second floor.

900 sf is VERY small for two people. My husband and I have a 1100 s.f. vacation condo. When we're both there for an extended time it feels cramped. More than four guests = a crowd.

by Anonymousreply 170October 21, 2018 6:29 PM

r170 Most people don't want stairs when they get older.

by Anonymousreply 171October 21, 2018 6:35 PM

I'm guessing they didn't pay almost $1MM for that 1100 square foot space though R165

And R169, you're paying for the ocean view on that place (if you squint you can kind of see it) and the rooms seem more in proportion.

by Anonymousreply 172October 21, 2018 6:36 PM

Building up would make it worth it. But I assume the town is super strict. The only way that would make any sense. Even then - there are way better places and spaces for that money.

by Anonymousreply 173October 21, 2018 7:21 PM

Upthread guy who said to rent is spot on...that place wouldn’t rent for much as you can see similar places for $1-1.4K a month...cheaper to rent. I found a comp much bigger that sold just a smidge more but took a yr to sell.

by Anonymousreply 174October 21, 2018 8:00 PM

900 sq feet and two bedrooms? But it. Carmel is charming.

by Anonymousreply 175October 21, 2018 9:03 PM

OP, the link is to realtor.com not a specific listing. This was very upsetting and triggering and I'll be reporting you to the editor.

by Anonymousreply 176October 21, 2018 9:56 PM

Check out this hobbit hut in the neighborhood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177October 21, 2018 10:25 PM

If you are looking for a real fairy tale cottage, there is one for sale in Washington.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178October 21, 2018 10:37 PM

Don’t go to Washington if ur used to Cali ...also do you two want your neighbors hearing everything you have going on lovebirds?

by Anonymousreply 179October 21, 2018 11:52 PM

Finally - R177 makes sense. THAT is why you live in Carmel. Perfect - and 25% less.

by Anonymousreply 180October 22, 2018 1:44 AM

LOVE IT. I’m from CA and would love to retire in Carmel. That house is a PERFECT retirement home in the perfect retirement community. Carmel is one of the best places in the country. I’d do it in a heartbeat.

by Anonymousreply 181October 22, 2018 2:03 AM

OLALLA = WHITE TRASH

by Anonymousreply 182October 22, 2018 2:10 AM

r177 r180 That place is MILES away from Carmel proper -- it's quite a ways inland.

by Anonymousreply 183October 22, 2018 2:19 AM

I think anyone would be insane to buy this house end live in it at that price. shoddy shoddy shoddy. If the land is worth anything, and in a neighborhood that really pleases you, tear down this shack and build a proper house.

by Anonymousreply 184October 22, 2018 1:26 PM

OP, just wondering... how strong is the racial and ethnic diversity in Carmel?

What is the percentage of black, hispanic, and asian populations in Carmel? Excluding the help, what is the percentage of immigrants residing in Carmel?

Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 185October 22, 2018 1:34 PM

Most of the minority and/or immigrant population would probably be in Salinas or the less expensive parts of Monterey and its adjacent cities.

by Anonymousreply 186October 22, 2018 2:22 PM

The thing I wonder is why the OP can only afford this property when he comes from way expensive Danville? They must own a tiny condo in Danville which isn't worth much

by Anonymousreply 187October 22, 2018 2:48 PM

Is it zoned for retail? ...it would make a darling shop.

by Anonymousreply 188October 22, 2018 3:06 PM

How many months of the year can you actually go I to the ocean in Carmel? Is it too cold?

by Anonymousreply 189October 22, 2018 4:52 PM

You go to the ocean all year round, but the air is cool and misty.

Even if you try, You’ll never get sunburnt.

by Anonymousreply 190October 22, 2018 5:02 PM

PS: the water is FREEZING

by Anonymousreply 191October 22, 2018 5:03 PM

Doesn’t it rain a lot in winter? Would be depressing to be stuck inside the shack all day.

by Anonymousreply 192October 22, 2018 5:33 PM

Like NYC-nice place to visit- not to live.

Buy and Air it.

by Anonymousreply 193October 22, 2018 5:39 PM

R172 His parents sold for about 400K in the late eighties, next owners nearly doubled the square footage and it was up for sale in the summer of 2016 for a bit north of two million. Vancouver real estate.

by Anonymousreply 194October 22, 2018 6:13 PM

Sweet cottage. It almost appears as if it were a guest house on a larger or subdivided property. Very romantic how the gate and front door are positioned a' tableaux... It seems sad though that there appears to be very little historic fabric left of this 1930's cottage. Floors are that characterless sort, pre-finished out of the carton... Hearth/mantle looks like a replacement as well. I would attempt to harmonise kitchenette to look more apropos... vintage appliances, or vintage style (Smeg, The Big Chill, Northstar). There is much potential here, and it appears much larger on the inside.

by Anonymousreply 195October 22, 2018 7:09 PM

It’s under contract.

by Anonymousreply 196October 22, 2018 7:14 PM

Perhaps OP made an offer... it would be nice if he re-visited his thread! Someone shall be very happy there.

by Anonymousreply 197October 22, 2018 7:30 PM

I’ve become very cynical. I wouldn’t be suprised if OP is actually a real estate agent who’s trying to sell this house.

by Anonymousreply 198October 22, 2018 7:33 PM

r192 Not nearly as much as it does in the PNW.

by Anonymousreply 199October 22, 2018 8:40 PM

I’m the one who said upthread it would sell over the weekend. It got covered in the NYT! I agree it would be nice to hear..maybe the OP is so busy dealing with the purchase and selling or renting out the old place? Pleas update OP.

by Anonymousreply 200October 22, 2018 9:19 PM

I think someone who works at NYT posted it. OP wasn't really gonna buy it. Just wanted comments and opinions.

by Anonymousreply 201October 22, 2018 10:02 PM

I'd be interested to learn if it sells for 1M +

by Anonymousreply 202October 22, 2018 10:15 PM

That house would be ideal for a wealthy single retiree.

by Anonymousreply 203October 22, 2018 10:40 PM

The sink is tiny and the kitchen is cramped.

by Anonymousreply 204October 22, 2018 10:55 PM

It's a cute place. California is so pricey, but it is a lovely little cottage. I agree, OP is likely not the buyer- but whatever the case, I like it. TINY but very charming.

by Anonymousreply 205October 23, 2018 3:04 AM

Tiny kitchens suck if you cook or even prepare anything in them.

by Anonymousreply 206October 23, 2018 3:41 AM

It is an in-law apartment. Do not buy this. WTF, it is too fucking small. Carmel sucks btw. The listing should come with this warning: You maybe shot by a demented, old republican, hollywood hasbin

by Anonymousreply 207October 23, 2018 4:15 AM

Some 3rd generation Republican hollywood hasbin is chopping up their decreased relative's property and you can now buy an overpriced and super TINY in-law apartment.

WHY op, WHY?

NOOOOOOOOOO

by Anonymousreply 208October 23, 2018 4:23 AM

Sorry to burst your bubble, R207, but upscale republican enclaves, like Carmel, are some of the safest places on earth. People don't even lock their doors.

by Anonymousreply 209October 23, 2018 7:02 AM

Many of the lots are tiny in that area. Fucking moron R208.

by Anonymousreply 210October 23, 2018 8:53 AM

The NYT covering this confirms just how ridiculous it is an only a complete fool and asshole would drop a million on this balsam wood outhouse.

by Anonymousreply 211October 23, 2018 9:02 AM

Thinking of Carmel prices and comparing the cottage to a Hamptons small-house price, you probably can get it for $900.000. $910. I'd pay it. All looks nice, a comfortable place for you and your lover.

by Anonymousreply 212October 23, 2018 8:12 PM

Hampton’s small house would have public transportation access to NYC and can even serve as a suburb to NYC. And would be ore square feet and yard in 90% of cases. It’s overpriced - perhaps not today in a hyperventilating market but soon and for a while - bad long term investment.

by Anonymousreply 213October 23, 2018 8:41 PM

The "master bath" isn't even really a full bath. A bath with a shower only = 3/4 bath.

by Anonymousreply 214October 23, 2018 8:55 PM

Maybe OP is bummed cuz it sold to others?

by Anonymousreply 215October 24, 2018 12:03 AM

R204 I agree the sink is a joke. I would remove the breakfast bar and stools, as well as that large typically American fridge. Enough additional space could be made to allow for better function in the kitchenette...possibly a mini range/oven as well.

by Anonymousreply 216October 24, 2018 12:13 AM

Carmel sucks.

by Anonymousreply 217October 24, 2018 7:49 AM

There you go. R217 accurately summed it all up in just two words.

by Anonymousreply 218October 24, 2018 1:37 PM

If the house sold, I hope it was bought by a fussy old bachelor who likes to stroll to the shops and the beach, and spend the rest of his day turning the place into the twee little jewel it has the potential to be.

Carmel is one of the twee-est places on Earth, it ought to be inhabited by people who could make the most of it.

by Anonymousreply 219October 24, 2018 6:26 PM

Who lives there now? Do you get a male or female vibe?

by Anonymousreply 220October 24, 2018 8:21 PM

R220 According to the county assessor's office, the tax bill for this property is mailed to a residential address in the Studio City area of Los Angeles. Records for that address show that the owner is one female. So perhaps this cottage in Carmel has been being used as a vacation home or rental.

by Anonymousreply 221October 24, 2018 11:38 PM

Makes for a good Airbnb. But. It sure you could make enough to justify $1MM. Seems like there are better deals with less headaches elsewhere. Carmel is nice but it ain’t all that. Especially for a vacation home, why would you want to be squeezed in like a sardine. Fine in a city but the point of Carmel is nature - not cement.

by Anonymousreply 222October 25, 2018 3:19 AM

Contingent (per Redfin). .. And the Open House for this weekend is still a go. .. They must be looking for back up offers.

by Anonymousreply 223October 26, 2018 9:18 PM

It looks like a custom-made doghouse or a movie set for forest dwarfs.

by Anonymousreply 224October 26, 2018 9:26 PM

Rather rustic, but could be charming, but PLEASE, for the love of all that's holy, redecorate in a less busy fashion.

by Anonymousreply 225October 26, 2018 9:27 PM

No, the one-legged dining room table belongs in an RV as does that teeny space between kitchen bar and living room that I would bash my knees into every day.

And those bedroom doors don't look standard-sized.

by Anonymousreply 226October 26, 2018 9:29 PM

Looks like a tarted-up storage shed, like the kind you can buy at Lowe’s.

by Anonymousreply 227October 26, 2018 10:32 PM

I have friends who live in Carmel, Indiana. It's a great little town. The commercial district was recently revitalized and most in the town can walk to great restaurants, shops and theaters from their homes. It's wonderful on a summer evening. There's also a bike trail which goes right into downtown Indianapolis. If I had mobility, I would definitely consider moving there.

by Anonymousreply 228October 26, 2018 10:39 PM

The kitchen is tragic.

by Anonymousreply 229October 27, 2018 1:58 AM

Sal Mineo hemorrhaged to death in the living room, but that was a long time ago and I'm sure it's been cleaned/renovated so if you're comfortable with that OP I'm sure everything will be lovely

by Anonymousreply 230October 27, 2018 2:24 AM

This is fine as a vacation home where you can go and spend some days to decompress from the big city.

by Anonymousreply 231October 27, 2018 4:35 PM

This house is $300000 in the suburbs outside of houston. This downsizing for 1M lol.

by Anonymousreply 232October 27, 2018 4:40 PM

R232 Yeah but who wants to live outside Houston? Or in Indiana for that matter.

by Anonymousreply 233October 27, 2018 6:23 PM

Houston is quite multi cultural and has had a homo mayor. It won't be long before Texas goes blue.

But yeah, Houston's steamy summers are pretty rough. Still, there's considerably more action in Houstan than in sleepy Carmel.

by Anonymousreply 234October 27, 2018 6:35 PM

Yeah - no. As much as I like Houston, there is no comparison. Yes it’s cheap and interesting but natural beauty and ocean are nonexistent. Except for the spectacular beauty that is Galveston. But agree with the point that it is absurd to spend that amount of money on a little shack - regardless of location.

by Anonymousreply 235October 27, 2018 7:07 PM

I sold a shack like that in Woodside Ca in 2005 for 1.3 M. Today it would be twice that in this insane market.

by Anonymousreply 236October 27, 2018 7:24 PM

Houston compared to Carmel? For starters, it's not in a shithole state. Don't embarrass yourself.

by Anonymousreply 237October 27, 2018 7:29 PM

Yeah yeah, cling tightly to your Pearl's and outdated stereotypes, Grandma.

by Anonymousreply 238October 27, 2018 7:32 PM

R87, lovely, for a barracks.

by Anonymousreply 239October 28, 2018 4:11 AM

Cling to Pearl's what?

by Anonymousreply 240October 28, 2018 4:15 AM

If that's the budget and the requisite location, I think I'd travel a few miles north (to Pacific Grove, Monterey, etc.) and look for something with more square footage on a larger lot affording some degree of privacy.

This place is selling for $825K. One could use the other $175K to remodel how you want.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241October 28, 2018 8:43 PM

[quote] It won't be long before Texas goes blue.

Honey, we've been hearing that since 1990. NOT going to happen in our lifetimes.

by Anonymousreply 242October 28, 2018 8:59 PM

[quote] Honey, we've been hearing that since 1990. NOT going to happen in our lifetimes.

Did you forget me?

by Anonymousreply 243October 28, 2018 9:02 PM

R241, if I win the lottery, Pacific Grove is definitely on the list of places I'd look for a permanent home.

Carmel is a place to visit, not a place to live.

by Anonymousreply 244October 29, 2018 5:09 AM

R244 I agree. I also saw this property in Pacific Grove. It's only about 4 1/2 miles north of OP's property. It's 300 sq ft more space inside, plus it has a one-car garage and driveway, on a 7400 sq. ft. lot.

Again, it's for sale for $865K, so just put some of that $1M budget into some remodeling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245October 29, 2018 7:32 AM

If OP missed out on the original property, this new listing in the same neighborhood hit the market 4 days ago. Slightly lower price at $925K, 300 more sq ft, and double the lot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246October 29, 2018 8:13 AM

A beautiful wooden shed for $1 million.

by Anonymousreply 247October 29, 2018 8:15 AM

A lot of the houses in Carmel are small and packed close together, because it was originally an "artist's colony", inhabited by people who had little money but good taste. So the old houses are small and cheaply constructed, just a few feet from the neighbors's places, because they were originally one step up from beach shacks built out of driftwood.

Of course the rich people came in and drove the artists out, and treat their small, lovely, houses like theme park attractions.

by Anonymousreply 248October 29, 2018 8:35 AM

This is a lovely area OP. The only thing is that the house is so over decorated that it's difficult to see the actual house.

Oh! It looks like I have seen the thread too late and OP hasn't purchased the house.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249October 29, 2018 8:36 AM

R246's link is very nice and the back garden is a blank slate with good bones. You could make that really nice.

by Anonymousreply 250October 29, 2018 8:37 AM

Fancy Fruits!

by Anonymousreply 251October 29, 2018 8:53 AM

All these houses are made of wood and they want close to a million for them. Extraordinary.

by Anonymousreply 252October 29, 2018 9:27 AM

R252, it’s California and all houses here are either wood or stucco. Bricks are impractical because during an earthquake the house would just fall apart. Wood moves and stucco can be repaired pretty easily. Most old houses here are wood frame with drywall on top, stucco over that. Newer houses are often steel frame with drywall. Drywall can easily be patched or replaced if need be.

If I was retiring I would not pick a 1920s house. There’s a couple reasons. They are not up to modern earthquake codes so if there is an earthquake, they sustain a lot of damage. A newer house would probably need relatively minor repairs. Insurance claims do not cover the full cost of repairs and you can be out of pocket quite a bit. That’s hard to do on a fixed income. Also, plumbing will be an ongoing expense and at any moment you could find tree roots are taking over the plumbing or other expensive issues, especially in a small home with a small lot and old trees near the house. Another issue is the house flooding due to pressure in the pipes. Older homes don’t have a valve that releases air pressure in the pipes. I had a flood when a pipe broke in the middle of the night. It caused $30,000 in damage which is typical. My elderly neighbor had a similar flood, luckily in the daytime so she caught it right away. She couldn’t afford repairs even with insurance coverage and struggled to do it. They depreciate everything.

Then there’s the issue of whether there’s asbestos (in a 1920s-30s house that would be common), which means you can’t open the walls without asbestos experts handling it. If the electrical or plumbing needs repairs and the walls or attic have to be opened, more money. Tile is almost certainly lead glaze, which is fine unless you have to cut it. Linoleum look tile I stalked in the fifties or sixties almost certainly has asbestos in it. Most people tile right over that but if the floor ever has to be ripped up for plumbing repairs...you see what I’m getting at. Also, under all the paint is lead paint and that tends to flake and can end up as dust motes in the air which you can breathe without realizing it.

Then there’s the electrical, which may be 100 years old and believe me, those old wires can be rotted or cracked from heat and need to be replaced. Then you have to cut up the walls. The old style tube and knob electrical is not safe no matter what they tell you. On age alone, the wires are too old. If the (probably fabric) cover on the wires separates or frays, you’ve got hot bare electrical wire inside your walls and don’t know it. Then the antique lighting fixtures also have old rotted wires and should all be re-wired. It’s likely a flipper did the cosmetic minimum and didn’t clean this all up.

I’ve lived in both old and new houses and my dad, who was a carpenter, always said buy the newest house you can afford, unless you can afford endless ongoing repairs. It’s true they don’t make them with the charm they used to, but think of your financial stability and health in your old age as well.

by Anonymousreply 253October 29, 2018 10:35 AM

Sorry, that’s “knob and tube.” Here’s an article about why it’s dangerous and why insurance companies don’t want to cover it. Please read the whole article if you’re considering purchasing a house like this. Here’s some important points:

“1) Knob and tube wiring is two-stranded – with a hot wire and a neutral wire only – it uses no ground wire. There is absolutely no protection whatsoever when a fault occurs. Shocks and fires can easily result from faults caused by knob and tube wiring.

2) Knob and tube wiring uses sheathing for insulation and both of these disintegrate easily over time. Since buildings that contain this type of wiring are old, the problem is increased. Modern wiring uses much better insulation materials that are much safer.

3) Older electrical systems use a 60 amp service but the wire is fused with 15 amps. This means that more current is flowing through the wire than it is meant to handle, leading to excessive heat and possible fire.

4) Older electrical systems didn’t carry high ampacity loads and these extra loads cause the insulation to become brittle, exposing bare wire and the capacity to overheat which can cause fires.

5) Older systems that use knob and tube wiring also use two-prong receptacles, restricting the use of small kitchen appliances. Since there is no ground wire, there is increased chance of shock and injury, especially around areas where water is prevalent. Kitchens and bathrooms are especially at risk.”

Another point I personally observed is older houses aren’t wired for coffe makers, computers, televisions, microwaves and all the other high users of electricity we have today. Many old houses have only one or two outlets per room. You have no choice but to overload the house’s electrical just to live a modern life.

I knew a guy that lived in a Victorian gingerbread house in the Castro. Every time he turned on the coffee grinder the lights flickered.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254October 29, 2018 10:45 AM

Here’s a picture of knob and tube wiring in a house. They used to cover wires in the old days with a sort of fabric made out of braided thread. Also there’s some rubber pieces involved in the install. Of course this all rotted. They quit using this type of wiring in the 1930s or thereabouts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255October 29, 2018 10:50 AM

R245 is lovely. And I agree, you don't have to LIVE in Carmel if it's only 4 miles away. Just hop you your mobility scooter and zip on over there anytime you want.

by Anonymousreply 256October 29, 2018 10:58 AM

I love it, OP! It's very charming and a perfect home in such a gorgeous setting. It blends in with nature... again, charming as hell. If I could afford it, I'd take it.. lol.

by Anonymousreply 257October 29, 2018 11:43 AM

A house like this will need a lot of work and upkeep. It's lovely and would be good for owners who appreciate vintage charm and are willing to put in the maintenance. Speaking for myself living for several years in San Francisco, I'm used to living in small spaces, and OP may be similar.

by Anonymousreply 258October 29, 2018 12:26 PM

Decluttering is always good, especially as you age. I’m in my fifties and I’m doing it now, because I know several old people that need to do it but are now too old to remove or sell furniture by themselves and no one wants to help them.

I spoke to a physical therapist at a nursing home and he said the greatest dangers for older people were hassocks or footstools, coffee tables, loose scatter rugs and a bed that’s high off the ground. He said they all caused falls which could lead to a broken hip, which can end your life. He said people need to empty their rooms of excess furniture and knickknacks as they age, because they can’t dust it all and glass or breakable knickknacks can lead to injury.

When you buy a retirement home, think of how you’re going to use it in 10-30 years, not now when you don’t need handicap access, ramps or showers on the first floor. A lot of older people can’t even climb a few outdoors steps into the house.

by Anonymousreply 259October 29, 2018 1:01 PM

I like the houses show at r241 and r245 but not at r246.

by Anonymousreply 260October 29, 2018 1:35 PM

R254 / R253, thank you for the detail. Enjoyed reading it.

by Anonymousreply 261October 29, 2018 1:38 PM

For r259: Kill yourself now and avoid all that trouble down the road!

by Anonymousreply 262October 29, 2018 2:47 PM

I LOVE the house at R245. And I'd consider it, but for the huge bump in property taxes.

by Anonymousreply 263October 29, 2018 6:17 PM

I think it's a lovely house.

by Anonymousreply 264October 29, 2018 6:29 PM

No bidet? OP, you DEFINITELY need a bidet.

by Anonymousreply 265October 29, 2018 6:34 PM

Carmel houses don’t have addressed. You have to pick up your mail at the post office across town.

I hope Mobility Mary buys it and terrorizes the community.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266October 29, 2018 7:17 PM

R244 hahahahha. Pacific Grove? Why not Sleaziness (Salinas)?

by Anonymousreply 267October 29, 2018 7:20 PM

Will do, R262! On my way to do just that right now!

by Anonymousreply 268October 29, 2018 7:41 PM

r267 You're comparing Pacific Grove to SALINAS?

by Anonymousreply 269October 29, 2018 7:52 PM

Great home for 1 person. Too small for 2 in my opinion.

I adore Carmel. I always said if I hit to Lotto that's where I'd settle.

by Anonymousreply 270October 29, 2018 7:59 PM

I can’t believe the exorbitant prices people pay for a crappy little house in CA.

by Anonymousreply 271October 29, 2018 10:56 PM

Ask Doris Day if you could live in her dog house.

by Anonymousreply 272October 29, 2018 11:24 PM

R269 After Carmel, it’s kind of downhill. I’m biased and I admit it. I’d go south to Big Sur. Laugh, laugh away. My memories of Pacific Grove was as a hideously overpriced town behind the Presidio that ripped off the military with exorbitant rents, knowing we were there for less than a year at school. A heartless bunch of fucks in the post-Vietnam era.

Monterey was always good to me, and as many times as I’ve been back over the many, many years it’s never lost a single bit of its luster.

by Anonymousreply 273October 30, 2018 2:29 AM

R273

Big Sur is truly one of the most gorgeous places on the planet.

I'd like to think I could live there but it's too isolated for me.

If I were a bazillionaire I could see myself having a second home there where I went for periods of solitude not 24/7 day to day living.

by Anonymousreply 274October 30, 2018 6:57 AM

While I love the Central Coast, it is ALL somewhat isolated, which is why I've shied away from it. There are really NO major airports between San Jose and LAX, and no major cities, either.

by Anonymousreply 275October 30, 2018 11:22 PM

We fly private, dear. No need for major airports.

by Anonymousreply 276October 30, 2018 11:24 PM

That's the thing, R275, the Monterey/Carmel area is geographically isolated. And the job market is pathetically limited and the housing is expensive, so much so that most people with regular jobs in Monterey live in Salinas and commute across a two-lane highway.

However, I'd like nothing better for a retirement home than an isolated town where everything is lovely and safe, and where I can gradually let my world shrink to that of my beloved small town. So yeah, if I win the lottery, I'm definitely looking into living in that region.

by Anonymousreply 277October 30, 2018 11:39 PM

r277 I'm already retired and money is not an issue, but I want to travel (a lot!) and the hassle of getting to and from airports is not high on my list of things I look forward to.

by Anonymousreply 278October 30, 2018 11:46 PM

One thing about the area discussed on this thread is, you can fly in and out of the regional airport in Monterey and easily get to/from SFO, LAX, San Diego, etc. Wiki says Alaska Airlines, American Eagle, United Express, and Allegiant are the carriers.

I still remember flying on Hughes Air West as a kid, and we'd always land in Monterey on our flights from Los Angeles to Eugene, Oregon. Back then, all I remember seeing was sand dunes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279October 30, 2018 11:47 PM

Actually, R278, the San Jose Airport is a little over an hour away from Monterey.

Except at rush hour, of course.

by Anonymousreply 280October 31, 2018 3:11 AM

[quote]R278 I already retired and money is not an issue, but I want to travel (a lot!) and the hassle of getting to and from airports is not high on my list of things I look forward to.

Travel is for those who haven’t lived.

by Anonymousreply 281October 31, 2018 6:29 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!