Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Anita Baker

She seemed like she would continue to have singles on the radio, but she disappeared after her first couple albums.

Were you ever a fan of Anita Baker?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171November 5, 2018 8:18 PM

Yes, I saw her several times. Great voice.

by Anonymousreply 1September 18, 2018 4:31 AM

No but thanks for asking.

by Anonymousreply 2September 18, 2018 4:37 AM

Huge fan.

But apparently she's a huge bitch

by Anonymousreply 3September 18, 2018 4:38 AM

I need a baker. Know one?

by Anonymousreply 4September 18, 2018 4:41 AM

Loved her & and I still play her CDs regularly. What a voice !

by Anonymousreply 5September 18, 2018 4:45 AM

No, r4.

But I do know a butcher and a candlestick maker.

by Anonymousreply 6September 18, 2018 4:46 AM

Cheryl is a ....

by Anonymousreply 7September 18, 2018 4:46 AM

Why did she disappear?

by Anonymousreply 8September 18, 2018 4:46 AM

Hmmmmm...NO

by Anonymousreply 9September 18, 2018 5:00 AM

As for her reputation of being a bitch, I would like to say that she and her(then)husband Walter Bridges were in F/C on a flight I worked from ATL-LAX close to 20-25 years ago and she could not have been nicer. I find that if people treat "the help" well and with respect, they are likely very decent folks. And that was when she was a pretty big deal.

by Anonymousreply 10September 18, 2018 5:15 AM

I like hearing that r10. After all these years I've come to believe the cunty stories but I'm willing to re-examine.

by Anonymousreply 11September 18, 2018 5:18 AM

Her jazzy-light sound is dated. What's there to get?

by Anonymousreply 12September 18, 2018 5:23 AM

It's due for a comeback.

by Anonymousreply 13September 18, 2018 5:26 AM

I wonder if she and Aretha Franklin ever hung out together in Detroit

by Anonymousreply 14September 18, 2018 5:49 AM

I loved her music.

She announced retirement a year or so ago and just did another sold out show for her farewell tour.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 18, 2018 5:55 AM

I've never seen her live. Has anyone here? I'm probably like a lot of people, having first heard her live version of Sweet Love brfore even knowing who she was.

by Anonymousreply 16September 18, 2018 6:02 AM

30 years ago this month marked the release of her 1988 Grammy nominee for Record of the Year and Song of the Year…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 18, 2018 6:08 AM

R16 Yes, I saw Anita perform live in a two-header concert along with Luther Vandross. She was amazing! This was back in the early 90s at the Forum in LA. Anita uses every part of her body to sing, sometimes contorting herself to get notes off cleanly. She sang all of her hits flawlessly and I'm glad to have seen the two of them...especially now that Luther is gone.

by Anonymousreply 18September 18, 2018 6:17 AM

Good singer. Sings from the back of her throat.

by Anonymousreply 19September 18, 2018 6:28 AM

We hear that the back of your throat is where you like it, alright.

by Anonymousreply 20September 18, 2018 6:38 AM

R18 I’m in the biz. Luther and Anita performed at the LA Soorts Arena. Luther hated Anita. I think he was jealous of all the attention she was getting. I went backstage for a meet and greet. Their dressing rooms were on opposite ends of the arena. I stopped at Anita’s dressing room first. I asked the record rep why were they so far apart, he said because they hated each other. Luther’s dressing room was too far away and I wasn’t really a fan of his so I skipped his dressing room. I was really there to see her.

by Anonymousreply 21September 18, 2018 7:14 AM

^ Sports Arena.

by Anonymousreply 22September 18, 2018 7:14 AM

There was only enough room for one black female singing star and she couldn't cut it.

by Anonymousreply 23September 18, 2018 7:33 AM

[quote]Why did she disappear?

She made several more albums after the first two, all very good. But R&B/soul changed because of hip-hop, and the 'grown folks' singers like Anita and Luther struggled to find a place for themselves in the mainstream when R&B radio no longer had room for artists like them. They were embraced by smooth jazz, but smooth jazz had its own collapse.

by Anonymousreply 24September 18, 2018 7:35 AM

She left because she wanted to devote time to her husband and children.

by Anonymousreply 25September 18, 2018 8:18 AM

Shut up Sven. You're right.

by Anonymousreply 26September 18, 2018 8:26 AM

R24 I thought R&B sucked, until hip hop came along. It's like Trump making George W look good by comparison.

by Anonymousreply 27September 18, 2018 8:39 AM

Hats, WASPs, Newport, and Anita 1.0.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28September 18, 2018 9:00 AM

[quote]I thought R&B sucked, until hip hop came along.

Different strokes and all that, but...I don't even know how to talk to someone like you.

Hip-hop couldn't even EXIST without all the R&B that came before.

by Anonymousreply 29September 18, 2018 9:11 AM

I liked Rapture. It was one of my first CDs and I played it a lot.

by Anonymousreply 30September 18, 2018 10:52 AM

I absolutely adore Anita Baker. By all accounts a total bitch. She had a very bitter divorce from her husband after many years of marriage.

Being a fellow citizen of Detroit, I thought she would have attended Arethra Franklin's funeral, but no. I bet they did not get along.

by Anonymousreply 31September 18, 2018 11:19 AM

She disappeared OP because I came along.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32September 18, 2018 12:15 PM

She never was a singer of note.

by Anonymousreply 33September 18, 2018 1:03 PM

I can't stand that honking whine she uses for a singing voice. I detested her work from the beginning, especially when there were other, more talented (or at least more fun) who struggled on the charts while she floated to the top like a turd.

by Anonymousreply 34September 18, 2018 1:14 PM

She sounds remarkably well here.

I thought she'd disappeared because she'd had addiction problems. She looked sad and lost a few years back when they did one of those award ceremony tributes to her.

She was rumored to be a bitch from hell with Luther, but Miss Luther was no shrinking violet herself. Who knows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35September 18, 2018 1:27 PM

The Anita/Luther tour was infamous. After Anita finished her set, Luther came out and said to the audience, "I'd like to thank my OPENING ACT Anita Baker!"

by Anonymousreply 36September 18, 2018 1:35 PM

[quote] Being a fellow citizen of Detroit, I thought she would have attended Aretha Franklin's funeral, but no. I bet they did not get along.

Aretha was jealous of Anita's multiplatinum success and the Grammys she took (from Aretha). When asked her opinion of Anita, Aretha purportedly remarked "I can't understand a word she's singing."

by Anonymousreply 37September 18, 2018 1:58 PM

Aretha basically did not get along with any other female soul singer. They were all rivals to her. It didn't matter how respectfully they dealt with her or how admiring they were of her - they were competition. Even Whitney was on the receiving end of that kind of treatment from her 'Aunt Ree'.

by Anonymousreply 38September 18, 2018 2:16 PM

A reviewer once wrote that she moved like Joe Cocker.

by Anonymousreply 39September 18, 2018 5:40 PM

As a kid, I knew that whenever I heard Anita Baker...it was time to clean the house.

by Anonymousreply 40September 18, 2018 5:59 PM

I still play my Rapture cd. Great voice.

by Anonymousreply 41September 18, 2018 7:18 PM

I was just thinking of her and Oleta Adams and wondering why neither could sustain success. I like that kind of music now and again.

by Anonymousreply 42September 18, 2018 7:19 PM

Anita was dumb to turn down Babyface when he wanted her to record the Boomerang soundtrack, which made Toni Braxton (her successor) into star. Anita's decline was due to many bad decisions she made throughout her career.

It doesn't help matters that she's a bitch on wheels, too.

by Anonymousreply 43September 18, 2018 7:27 PM

[quote] Aretha basically did not get along with any other female soul singer. They were all rivals to her. It didn't matter how respectfully they dealt with her or how admiring they were of her - they were competition. Even Whitney was on the receiving end of that kind of treatment from her 'Aunt Ree'.

True.

She always believed others were out to get her. She often turned down music written by various songwriters, but then if someone else made a hit out of it, she was livid. That happened with Natalie Cole, who loved Aretha like family. The music Re turned down was "This Will Be" and Natalie won a whole slew of Grammys for that. Aretha didn't let go of THAT grudge until after Miss Natalie DIED. That heifer could hold a grudge like no other.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44September 18, 2018 8:10 PM

[quote]She often turned down music written by various songwriters, but then if someone else made a hit out of it, she was livid.

Yes, and she would also do covers of other female singers' hits (i.e. I Say a Little Prayer) with the specific intent of one-upping them. She even stabbed her sister Carolyn in the back by co-opting Sparkle from her. It's too bad - she could have had real fellowship with other female performers, but she just couldn't get past her paranoia and jealousy.

by Anonymousreply 45September 19, 2018 8:52 AM

Oprah said that she was BARE-ASSED BUTT NAKED! in the bathtub when she heard "Get Here" by Oleta Adams for the first time playing on her stereo in the other room. She had to get up and find out the name of the soaring chanteuse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46September 20, 2018 12:12 AM

You left out smack, r28.

by Anonymousreply 47September 20, 2018 12:17 AM

Aretha and Natalie made up in the 80's after Natalie went to rehab. Aretha had issues with Anita because some DJ in Detroit went on air and declared Anita as the New Queen of Soul after playing a song from Rapture. Word got back to Aretha who was fucking LIVID. But Anita has spoken very well of Aretha over the years and posted a poignant tribute recently.

It was Vesta William, BTW who said Anita sounded like Michael McDonald at a slower speed.

by Anonymousreply 48September 20, 2018 12:23 AM

Anita Baker has won eight Grammy Awards and has five platinum albums and one gold album.

by Anonymousreply 49September 20, 2018 4:03 AM

^^^ Anita Baker has 3 albums that were certified multiplatinum -- including "Rapture" at 5x platinum and "Giving You The Best..." at 3x platinum. Unbelievably, Aretha has just one multiplatinum certification -- 2x platinum certification for "Amazing Grace." Aretha was only jealous of the acclaim and commercial success Anita enjoyed. Aretha put Detroit and Soul on the map and here was this upstart threatening to take it all away. It was only that.

by Anonymousreply 50September 20, 2018 2:43 PM

Aretha, like many soul acts of her time, including the big Motown acts, sold more singles than albums (even though her albums during her prime are considered classics by music critics).

It wasn't until the 80s when Aretha earned her first and only platinum album, Who's Zoomin' Who?

by Anonymousreply 51September 20, 2018 3:11 PM

I'm surprised producers haven't remixed her music, or contacted her to work with them. Aretha stayed and everyone's radar by releasing singles and working with new producers.

by Anonymousreply 52September 22, 2018 6:44 AM

Anita's first album Rapture was magnificent. Her voice is so unique.

by Anonymousreply 53September 22, 2018 7:18 AM

The Songstress was Anita's first album, but Rapture was the one that put her on the map.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54September 22, 2018 7:54 AM

It wasn’t 80’s R&B if you weren’t lounging on the cover.

by Anonymousreply 55September 22, 2018 9:41 AM

[quote]I'm surprised producers haven't remixed her music, or contacted her to work with them. Aretha stayed and everyone's radar by releasing singles and working with new producers.

Anita had a reputation for being hell on wheels in the studio, demanding and 'difficult', though it's impossible to know how much of that was true and how much was just sexist assholes getting twisted because a female artist knew what she wanted and insisted on getting it from the people around her. She had to fight to get credit as her albums' executive producer. Anyway, maybe her rep scares people off, or maybe there's truth in that reputation and she has turned down people who may have approached her.

by Anonymousreply 56September 22, 2018 10:23 AM

Anita was also jealous of other females with good voices. She was rude towards Miki Howard at some awards show.

Her first three albums were great AC/R&B, but the fourth one, RYTHYM OF LOVE, was quite mediocre with two decent songs on it...the rest were shit.

by Anonymousreply 57September 22, 2018 1:06 PM

She’s another one who has undeniable mega-talent, but I just never liked the sound of her voice. But I’ll say that hearing some of the shit that passes for singing, she’s a thousand times more tolerable.

by Anonymousreply 58September 22, 2018 1:32 PM

Yes- I lik(ed) her. Clearly influenced by Sarah Vaughn.

by Anonymousreply 59September 22, 2018 2:06 PM

R46, It always annoyed me that Oleta got all the credit for that song, when Brenda Russell had originally recorded it. In my opinion Brenda's version is better - Oleta's version sounds like she's singing through her nose.

by Anonymousreply 60September 22, 2018 2:19 PM

I have a friend that toured with her and told stories that made her sound batshit crazy. Not mean but really sort of Norma Desmond-y in some of her bizarre ideas and reclusiveness. He respected her very much but said she was usually operating in some other dimension.

by Anonymousreply 61September 22, 2018 2:20 PM

Anita needs to ENUNCIATE.

People grew tired of saying, Huh? Wha?

by Anonymousreply 62September 22, 2018 2:27 PM

Anita has controlled how her music is commercially presented. She never approved dance remixes of her music.

by Anonymousreply 63September 22, 2018 2:36 PM

I love her for this. Even if it has a dated sound.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64September 22, 2018 2:52 PM

R60 "Get Here" is one of those one-hit wonders I still listen to and it reminds me so much of that time. I had no idea it was a remake. Though I think Oleta's voice has a deeper register which suits the song. Brenda Russell's version reminds me of Natalie Cole.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65September 22, 2018 4:57 PM

The first time I knew of "Get Here" by Oleta Adams was when Oprah mentioned it on her show.

by Anonymousreply 66September 22, 2018 4:59 PM

1. Brenda Rusell WROTE Get here, besides recording it first.

2. Anita Baker's first 3 albums, while all sounding the same, are classic. I can listen to them back to back all the way through over and over.

3 She said she stepped away from the biz when she wanted to focus on her family and kids

4. her voice is "different" and was turned down by many record companies at first. She doesn't sing like the typical R&B diva. to me i tsounds like a clarinet-----whereas typical soul divas are more "saxaphone" like ,,, rich, resonant etc.

5. Her reputation comes from being a perfectionist. She is very controlling on stage and in studio. Like Prince or other musicians. That doesn't mean she's a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 67September 22, 2018 6:06 PM

R64, a blast from the past. I always loved that song. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 68September 22, 2018 6:19 PM

One of her best. Amazing build up from low key start.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69September 22, 2018 6:25 PM

[quote]Her reputation comes from being a perfectionist.

Her reputation comes from her being a rude, shady bitch. There are countless substantiated stories from other recording artists about her being rude to them. Rick James called her out for being nasty to everbody at some function, and said, "Anita is one of the most stuck-up bitches, I'd ever met." There was even an "Anita Baker Was Rude" Support Group on FB at one time, where people would post about their run-ins with the shady diva.

by Anonymousreply 70September 22, 2018 6:32 PM

I remember hating the video where’s singing and ice skating. So cheesy.

by Anonymousreply 71September 22, 2018 6:34 PM

^^ She was roller-skating and the song was fabulous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72September 22, 2018 8:41 PM

Get Here became the unofficial anthem for many military wives during the Persian Gulf crisis. That song got on my fucking nerves.

by Anonymousreply 73September 22, 2018 9:00 PM

Miss Anita Baker took time off to raise her family and look after her father, who died of bone cancer, and her mother, who died from Alzheimer's. Her return to showbiz came with little fanfare b/c frankly, the industry had moved on. You have to strike when the iron is hot, and with Anita, her mercurial temperament, indecisiveness, insecurities, and self-doubt worked against her. One minute she would be excited about a project, the next minute she would back out b/c she didn't feel it was right, then after you had already given the project to someone else, she'd call ready to do it, and when you'd tell her you gave it to someone else, she'd berate you for not waiting for her. Time is money, honey! Nobody's going to wait for your flaky ass to make up her mind!

by Anonymousreply 74September 22, 2018 10:13 PM

Yeah Anita was notoriously hard to work with, but she might have gotten better now with age. But you cannot be difficult when you have a younger, sexier version of yourself on the market (Toni Braxton). Anita has also dissed artists like Miki Howard and pretty much anyone similar to her when they hit the scene in the 90s.

But she is still a legend of R&B and I'm sure her classics will influence R&B singers forever. Maxwell was enthralled with Anita's voice when he was a boy, much like Luther Vandross was with Patti Labelle. Anita was Maxwell's main musical influence when he started singing.

by Anonymousreply 75September 22, 2018 10:18 PM

I remember being in 8th grade and watching Anita win Best New Artist at the Grammys over Janet Jackson (whom I had just discovered via Control album that year and thought was fab). I thought the Grammys were out of touch even then.

I do still love her song "Fairy Tales" from 1990. It's still a favorite on my playlists.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76September 22, 2018 10:34 PM

She's the only artist that I can recall who was dropped from a major label while still having a run of platinum albums. What got Miss Baker kicked to the curb? After she delayed issuing a fourth album with Warners for years she finally decided to record again around 2000 but she insisted she needed to record at home. The label grudgingly agreed and she hired a local Detroit recording truck to do the honors. She cut her first track, listened back, and heard an awful crackling noise on it. The mobile recording folks assured her that it could be removed so she cut the rest of the album with this still on it. She sent the finished album in for mastering and learned all the tapes were defective and the noise couldn't be removed. Anita sued the trucking guys and tried to blame her label as well. Litigation dragged on for years. Atlantic, tired of dealing with her mess, dropped her.

Eventually, she wound up on Blue Note but barely went gold with her rerecorded album, My Everything. She released a flop Xmas album shortly thereafter and a Tyrese cover, Lately, as a single a few years back. That's been her entire recording output this century. Anita makes Sade seem as prolific as Prince by comparison...

by Anonymousreply 77September 22, 2018 10:51 PM

Anita Baker still sounds good. Toni Braxton does not.

by Anonymousreply 78September 23, 2018 3:16 AM

Here is the original version of You Bring Me Joy, by Norman Connors with Ada Dyer, from 1980. It's good, but Anita truly took it to another level with her carefully building vocal and signature sound. She owned it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79September 23, 2018 3:36 AM

People love Toni Braxton for more than just her voice at this point, which is always a good thing because you are not going to sing and make hit records forever. Anita may still sound good, but she is not likable and people avoid working with her for most part.

by Anonymousreply 80September 23, 2018 3:38 AM

Toni is a much bigger star than Anita Baker, sorry. Anita wishes she had a hit as big as Un-break My Heart.

Toni has the career Anita would've had if she wasn't such a difficult person to work with. I wouldn't be surprised if she's bipolar. She has alway the signs of it.

by Anonymousreply 81September 23, 2018 3:41 AM

*She has ALL the signs of it.

by Anonymousreply 82September 23, 2018 3:41 AM

I love Anita Baker and think she was one of the most underrated singers of the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 83September 23, 2018 3:46 AM

I'm not a big fan, but I'd still listen to any Anita Baker album over any Toni Braxton album

by Anonymousreply 84September 23, 2018 3:47 AM

I like Oleta Adams' vocal on Tears for Fears' "Woman in Chains"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85September 23, 2018 3:49 AM

I'm sure Anita does not allow Toni's name to be spoken in her house or in her presence lol

by Anonymousreply 86September 23, 2018 3:49 AM

Even if Anita is Satan, that voice.... We have to get it together as a culture and record this goddamn woman. You would think that having such a God given talent would make you happy.

by Anonymousreply 87September 23, 2018 3:57 AM

Caught up in the rapture of you...

by Anonymousreply 88September 23, 2018 4:22 AM

Same Ole Love

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89September 23, 2018 4:31 AM

Look let’s not mess around — Anita’s Sweet Love is a truly magical, moving love song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90September 23, 2018 4:41 AM

It would be so cool if Anita Baker was satan.

by Anonymousreply 91September 23, 2018 4:46 AM

I prefer The Manhattan Transfer's version of Mystery to Anita's. Janis Siegel's lead vocal blows Anita out of the murky water she swims in, emulating a young Michael Jackson in some places.

by Anonymousreply 92September 23, 2018 4:52 AM

[quote] Toni has the career Anita would've had if she wasn't such a difficult person to work with. I wouldn't be surprised if she's bipolar. She has alway the signs of it.

Are you kidding? Toni's main income stream is from a reality TV show. She can't tour and make money like Anita because she is unable to sing live. Toni had a debilitating illness that prevented her from completing a Vegas residency. Toni's commercial sales dropped precipitously after her second CD "Secrets." Toni released at least 4 studio albums that failed to produce a hit single or to reach any RIAA certification. Toni filed for bankruptcy TWICE. Anita was a consistent seller and financially she's set for life. If she ever needs a few coins, one short (soldout) tour and she's flush again.

by Anonymousreply 93September 23, 2018 7:07 PM

OMG thank you R79, I never jnew there was an original version of You Bring me Joy. Anita's is better but the vocals on this are good too. I think the production and musical arrangement on Anita's is also better.

by Anonymousreply 94September 23, 2018 10:27 PM

Thank you r93 for delivering common sense reality about Toni Braxton, who destroyed her career by radically changing her appearance and image by playing some sort of sex bomb - she lost too much weight and had too much surgery right after her first album hit! She was so appreciated for her talent and so beloved but then completely disregarded what made her a star - her talent, not her looks.

Along those lines, the Grammy Awards giving Best New Artist to Anita instead of the engineered wispy voice of Janet Jackson is an example of them making the RIGHT choice.

Back to Anita, if I recall correctly, when she left Warners, they released an anemic live album of just to spite her. I don't know of any other record company doing something so malicious. On the other hand, Anita got a severance check but then decided she did not want it on a Warners-issued check, so they had to go through Blue Note to have them issue it.

by Anonymousreply 95September 24, 2018 12:02 PM

[quote]OMG thank you [R79], I never jnew there was an original version of You Bring me Joy. Anita's is better but the vocals on this are good too. I think the production and musical arrangement on Anita's is also better.

You're welcome - I actually like the original version too and think the vocals are good, but it just doesn't scale that height that Anita took it to. She improved it.

by Anonymousreply 96September 24, 2018 12:19 PM

Toni got a nose job and I think that it affected her singing voice. She also got some bad implants. Allegedly one of them exploded on an airplane! The silicone got into her system and she developed lupus. Just like the actress from THE WALTONS whose name I cannot recall. Her daughter got lupus too because the silicone got into her breast milk. Implants aren’t for women. They are created for men to enjoy. Don’t do it!

by Anonymousreply 97September 24, 2018 6:23 PM

It sucks that her farewell tour doesn’t include the NYC region

by Anonymousreply 98September 24, 2018 6:28 PM

[quote]It sucks that her farewell tour doesn’t include the NYC region

ok so it's not that I missed it!!! I was like "where's the ny date? did I miss it?"

by Anonymousreply 99September 25, 2018 12:36 AM

Club remixes would introduce her to a whole new crowd

by Anonymousreply 100September 25, 2018 4:00 PM

Anita tweeted today that "more cities are calling" so hopefully she'll do a few more on this farewell tour. Seems she's appreciative now of what she has accomplished. They don't make singers like this anymore.

by Anonymousreply 101September 25, 2018 7:24 PM

[quote]Toni filed for bankruptcy TWICE. Anita was a consistent seller and financially she's set for life.

Gurl, don't let me have to go into the files of celebrities who don't pay their taxes, because there you will Anita Baker. She has also been sued by pretty much everyone she's ever had a business dealing with.

by Anonymousreply 102September 25, 2018 7:58 PM

Good cover

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103September 25, 2018 9:36 PM

Original is often the best.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104September 25, 2018 9:39 PM

Yes, and I still play Rapture, which is on this very computer I'm posting from.

by Anonymousreply 105September 25, 2018 9:43 PM

Anita Baker standing at a microphone, her stiff shouldered rocking back and forth? Legend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106September 26, 2018 10:58 PM

The Manhattan Transfer's version of Mystery should've been a huge hit, I don't know why it wasn't. They did a beautiful job on that song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107September 29, 2018 1:52 AM

Toni Braxton for all her alto sex cooing and breast implants has never been anywhere near as sexy as Anita Baker in a high top fade, shoulder pads and church pumps singing Sweet Love.

by Anonymousreply 108September 29, 2018 2:16 AM

good point r108!

by Anonymousreply 109September 29, 2018 5:44 AM

She was unlike anyone else on the radio when Rapture came out. Her sound, look and style, even the way she moved, seemed like she was from an earlier era.

by Anonymousreply 110September 29, 2018 6:05 AM

I must stress that Sade’s success paved the way for Rapture. Anita’s first album didn’t do so well.

by Anonymousreply 111September 29, 2018 7:20 AM

Anita knows nobody can f*ck with her. Not Toni, not anybody. She may be crazy and she may not pay her bills but she knows she's a uniquely talented artist.

by Anonymousreply 112September 29, 2018 4:05 PM

She hasn’t been relevant since her last album 14 years ago. May her career RIP

by Anonymousreply 113September 29, 2018 4:54 PM

I wish Ms Baker had done an album of jazz standards.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114September 30, 2018 10:08 PM

I love you just because

by Anonymousreply 115October 8, 2018 3:47 AM

The young one wouldn’t know her. She has been absent too long.

by Anonymousreply 116October 8, 2018 4:04 AM

I heard Get Here covered by a piano playing chanteuse at the Langham Hotel back in the 90s that was superior to both Brenda's and Oleta's versions.

by Anonymousreply 117October 8, 2018 5:28 PM

R117 What has that got to do with Anita ?

by Anonymousreply 118October 8, 2018 10:00 PM

me too r114

by Anonymousreply 119October 18, 2018 4:57 AM

I'm a fan of Anita and Toni BUT

Phyllis Hyman was a way better singer than both of them. Her voice was more powerful, had more range and better control.

by Anonymousreply 120October 18, 2018 5:03 AM

R120 It’s the emotion PH conveys

by Anonymousreply 121October 18, 2018 5:57 AM

And PH is elegant and prettier too

by Anonymousreply 122October 18, 2018 6:12 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123October 18, 2018 6:23 AM

I preferred Phyllis' brother, Buster.

by Anonymousreply 124October 18, 2018 6:28 AM

Phyllis Hyman was fantastic. Sad, sad story. She should've been a major star.

by Anonymousreply 125October 18, 2018 2:13 PM

I loved Anita in 'Gimme a Break'

by Anonymousreply 126October 18, 2018 3:31 PM

Just as Anita paved the way for Toni to become a superstar, Phyllis paved the way for Anita to become a star. All 3 have beautiful toned contralto voices. I never turn the channel if any of them comes on. Phyllis should have been a huge superstar with multiple #1 hits though.

It's sad that there aren't any great contralto singers who are popular these days. Toni hasn't had a big hit since 2000 and Anita the early 90s

by Anonymousreply 127October 18, 2018 5:12 PM

Once Clive Davis signed Whitney Houston to Arista, all of his time went into grooming her into a star, and unfortunately other artists on the label weren't given the attention or promotion they needed. Phyllis Hyman was one of those artists.

by Anonymousreply 128October 18, 2018 5:29 PM

Phyllis and Clive clashed because she was not a robot who would simply do and sing whatever she was told to. She wanted input on her material and control freak Clive didn't like that. She was labeled difficult. She hated her "Riding The Tiger" era and thought it was too gimmicky. After leaving Arista she had more creative control but less backing (though she did finally get a #1 r&b hit with "Don't Wanna Change The World").

by Anonymousreply 129October 18, 2018 6:11 PM

r107, Not to hijack the thread, but I saw them perform that on "Solid Gold" and immediately went out and bought the album. The only song from which that became a hit was "Spice of Life," but I like the whole album (Bodies and Souls).

Back to Anita Baker: when "Rapture" became a hit, she was on Johnny Carson and seemed so humble and grateful for her success. It's hard to believe she's a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 130October 18, 2018 7:38 PM

Also, Miki Howard. Great singer similar to Anita

by Anonymousreply 131October 18, 2018 9:35 PM

Clive didn't like Phyllis. Phyllis was a talent of the same calibre as Anita. She was not as lucky as Anita when it came to folks overlooking her flaws.

by Anonymousreply 132October 19, 2018 12:39 AM

Phyllis Hyman was also a gorgeous woman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133October 19, 2018 12:45 AM

I just learned this year that she is widely known as an epic cunt

by Anonymousreply 134October 28, 2018 6:11 AM

Phyllis was lesbian, too. She was glorious on Broadway in Sophisticated Ladies.

by Anonymousreply 135October 28, 2018 7:11 AM

I used to listen to Rapture a lot and listened to it recently - it sounds very dated. The follow up was mediocre.

by Anonymousreply 136October 28, 2018 8:16 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137October 28, 2018 3:43 PM

To me, her music sounded like whitewashed soul pop and her voice just wasn't sophisticated.

I'll take Aretha, Gladys, Diana and Whitney anytime over AB. They were in a different category esp when they were live performers on stage.

by Anonymousreply 138October 28, 2018 3:59 PM

Anita's music is not dated, it's classic. I think the 80s recordings of Aretha, Whitney, Diana and Gladys sound more dated than anything by Anita. Anita never altered her sound to try to fit a radio format. She is her own radio format -- "quiet storm"

by Anonymousreply 139October 28, 2018 4:38 PM

^^^ suburban Frau ^^^

by Anonymousreply 140October 28, 2018 5:10 PM

I haven't listened to her stuff in a long time, but was surprised to see it called "dated". Her music, especially her vocals, didn't really feel to me to be of its own time, so I cant imagine it being dated.

by Anonymousreply 141October 28, 2018 5:35 PM

She’s more jazz soul than true soul.

by Anonymousreply 142October 28, 2018 5:49 PM

Sorry, r140. I am "urban" and a "gay male. "

by Anonymousreply 143October 28, 2018 7:27 PM

I was a kid when Anita had her big breakthrough and remember even at a young age finding her to be a bit of an anomaly. She seemed like an accountant who lucked into fame. This was the era of outsized young beauties like Whitney who were so glamorous and MTV ready. Anita seemed like a nice older woman who somehow stumbled into the Grammys. I couldn’t quite figure her out.

by Anonymousreply 144October 28, 2018 7:55 PM

informative and interesting thread - my friend worships Anita, Sarah Vaughan and Phyllis Hyman. It was I who called him when local NBC channel announced Hyman had OD'd in her midtown apt and would not be fulfilling her Apollo gig. I liked "Same Ol Love" but the rest of Baker's canon was too smooth jazz for me. I was browsing in a Times Square "wrecka stow" (Prince's joke for record store) when the dj announced that the tall glamorous woman across the rack from me was Phyllis Hyman and then played her latest single. She was all self-deprecating and embarrassed. Clive Davis is a tool.

by Anonymousreply 145October 28, 2018 8:55 PM

Phyllis was a more interesting singer than Anita ever was.

by Anonymousreply 146October 28, 2018 10:31 PM

Phyllis Hyman was an incredible talent, and gorgeous too. She never got the fame she deserved.

by Anonymousreply 147October 28, 2018 10:38 PM

R145 amazing story! Do you remember what the single was? Did you interact with Phyllis at all?

by Anonymousreply 148October 28, 2018 10:47 PM

no I did not say anything to Ms. Hyman but I did recognize her before the d.j. - she was very elegantly dressed and I was a big music biz fan back then.

by Anonymousreply 149October 30, 2018 5:53 PM

I loved the Rapture album. Someone spill the tea on Luther!

by Anonymousreply 150October 30, 2018 5:56 PM

I liked her singing. I assumed she married a rich man.

by Anonymousreply 151October 30, 2018 6:01 PM

I love her. Her voice takes me back to my youth.

by Anonymousreply 152October 30, 2018 6:08 PM

I remember my boyfriend at the time bringing home some wench he worked with who was hot for him gush about Anita Baker. When I mentioned I liked Sade, she bitchily retorted that she was a flash in the pan. Who had the longer career?...........bitch...

by Anonymousreply 153October 30, 2018 6:14 PM

Phyllis Hyman had one of the most unique voices in the profession. I LOVE her work in Bway's Sophisticated Ladies. I always felt that she didn't belong in R&B but in Jazz. Her low notes were a phenomenon.

by Anonymousreply 154October 30, 2018 6:19 PM

What was Phyllis Hyman's story? Still with us?

by Anonymousreply 155October 30, 2018 6:21 PM

ENOUGH about Phyllis fucking Hyman! This thread is about ME and all you delayed mutherfuckers can find one of the many Phyllis threads to discuss that cunt!

by Anonymousreply 156October 30, 2018 6:27 PM

Hyman committed suicide at age 45, R155.

Never felt that Braxton was the new Baker. Very different styles and songs. I liked them both but I felt Braxton tried to hard to be a pop diva, with goofy videos and songs that eventually became interchangeable.

For those of you that think music from the '80s sounds "dated," yes, it sounds very different from the overproduced dreck being made today. It sounds a lot better.

Baker's "Body and Soul" remains one of my favorite songs.

by Anonymousreply 157October 30, 2018 7:40 PM

[quote]The young one wouldn’t know her. She has been absent too long.

Yeah younger people are more likely to have grown up hearing Toni Braxton's music. Anita is an 80s classic for sure.

by Anonymousreply 158October 30, 2018 7:47 PM

Loved her voice,but apparently her personality didn't thrill people.That and the bad marriage to Walter Bridgeforth (conman)seemed to end her career.She still has the chops,performs occasionally and will give you a tongue lashing if you come at her wrong....ask Jill Scott

by Anonymousreply 159October 30, 2018 7:50 PM

Her voice and delivery was too creamy gooey for me...

by Anonymousreply 160October 30, 2018 8:13 PM

She never had the success of Sade.

by Anonymousreply 161October 30, 2018 10:16 PM

Phyllis was more interesting. Anita was formulaic in her vocal deliveries.

by Anonymousreply 162October 31, 2018 9:39 PM

When Anita threw a pie at the gays for hating her stance on homosexuality

by Anonymousreply 163October 31, 2018 10:03 PM

R163 when was that ?

by Anonymousreply 164October 31, 2018 10:33 PM

No she didn’t, R164. She’s nit the bizarro Anita Bryant.

by Anonymousreply 165October 31, 2018 10:53 PM

Hello all, for those that want to speak about the elegance and beauty that was Miss Phyllis Hyman - and not Queen Cunt Anita Baker - here is a thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166October 31, 2018 10:56 PM

[R63]So Baker's anti gay messages did her in? Interesting. ...yeah i haveseen her twitter and the rants.But taking her age and generational gap into consideration, iam not surprised at her comments. Am i excusing them nope,but she is not alone among celebrities who have said very "anti-gay"rants.....when will they be punished accordingly?

by Anonymousreply 167November 3, 2018 2:34 AM

No that was Anita Bryant, not Baker. That poster thought he was being funny by mixing them up. Anita Baker has no issue with gays.

by Anonymousreply 168November 3, 2018 2:54 AM

I’m surprised that she’s retiring from touring considering her money issues.

by Anonymousreply 169November 5, 2018 6:22 PM

I remember Anita in the mid-late 1980's, all the women where I worked loved her and attended her concerts. She was huge. In 2010, she flubbed the National Anthem at the NBA Finals. Funny, I thought it was only 3 or 4 years ago. Like a number of R&B artists her age, she is dabbling in Gospel music.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170November 5, 2018 7:53 PM

she's got guts to sing the National Anthem accapella

by Anonymousreply 171November 5, 2018 8:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!