Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I would like to celebrate Phyllis Hyman

So beautiful and talented. How did DL forget her?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75July 9, 2020 12:06 AM

Hey, Justin Sayre.

by Anonymousreply 1November 10, 2017 2:45 AM

R1, i don't know who that is, but thanks for responding, I guess .

by Anonymousreply 2November 10, 2017 4:44 AM

Don't Miss her cameo ib "School Daze"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3November 10, 2017 5:09 AM

She was over shadowed by Anita Baker, Stephanie Mills, Angela Bofill etc. but her tobe was amazing

by Anonymousreply 4November 10, 2017 3:46 PM

Thread deserves more responses

by Anonymousreply 5November 11, 2017 12:18 AM

we used to giggle at her name

by Anonymousreply 6November 11, 2017 12:23 AM

In recent years, most of her catalogue has been remastered and expanded. Her second album, Sing a Song, is worth checking out. Made as Buddah was folding, it only had a limited release. Different mixes of Living Inside Your Love etc

by Anonymousreply 7November 26, 2017 4:44 PM

This is such a beautiful song. It's breathtaking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 26, 2017 4:52 PM

Phyllis being interviewed by Linda 'Felicia Gallant' Dano.... two gay icons right here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 26, 2017 4:55 PM

Phyllis and Angie Bofill should have been the Queens of Arista. And maybe Melissa Manchester too. They all left in the mid-80s and were superceded by robotic, sexless Whitney

by Anonymousreply 10November 26, 2017 5:03 PM

R10. Excuse me. Whitney, with the most extraordinary voice of the century.

by Anonymousreply 11November 26, 2017 5:13 PM

r11 is right. Whitney's songs were bland and her voice, whilst powerful, expressed none of Phyllis' humanity.

by Anonymousreply 12November 26, 2017 5:23 PM

I was referring to r10, not r11... sorry for the typo.

by Anonymousreply 13November 26, 2017 5:23 PM

I had never heard of her, but just listened to a few of her performances - beautiful voice.

Sad that she ended her own life.

by Anonymousreply 14November 26, 2017 5:45 PM

RIP, beautiful lady. One of my favorite performers ever, and a really interesting woman in interviews.

She really was an amazing performer. She received a Theatre World Award as Best Newcomer, and was nominated for a Tony for her work on Broadway in 'Sophisticated Ladies'.

Barry Manilow was an admirer, and recorded a duet with her on his 'Swing Street' album. She recorded the title song for the James Bond film 'Never Say Never Again', which she considered her best and favorite recording, but it wasn't used in the film for contractual reasons.

I remember seeing her on the cover of Oui Magazine promoting her nude layout, and my heart sank. I felt like she was giving up her career at that point. She was addicted to cocaine.

[quote]On the afternoon of June 30, 1995, Hyman committed suicide by overdosing on pentobarbital and secobarbital in the bedroom of her New York City apartment at 211 West 56th Street. She was found unconscious at 2:00 p.m. (EDT), hours before she was scheduled to perform at the Apollo Theater, and died three hours later at St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital. Her suicide note read in part: "I'm tired. I'm tired. Those of you that I love know who you are. May God bless you."

[quote]During the filming of the James Bond movie Never Say Never Again, I co-wrote the title song for the movie with Jim Ryan. Warner Brothers informed our attorney that the song was to be used as the title song in the picture. However, shortly before its release, Warner Bros informed us that the song could not be used because Michel Legrand, who wrote the score, threatened to sue them, claiming that contractually he had the right to the title song. So my song was never released. The legendary Phyllis Hyman was my first choice to sing the song and working with her is one of the highlights of my musical career. I personally auditioned and sang the song to her while she was having breakfast in her manager’s office. After agreeing to sing the song, she arrived at the studio and, without any rehearsal and only having heard the song sung once at the breakfast audition, sang the song in one perfect take. Phyllis sadly took her own life in the [mid] nineties. The year before she died, she called me late one night and told me she felt that "Never Say Never Again" was her best and favorite recording.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 26, 2017 5:50 PM

Her rejected title track for 'Never Say Never Again'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16November 26, 2017 9:08 PM

A man in Phyllis Hyman's entourage once held open a door for Naomi Campbell as Naomi and her entourage exited a restaurant. However, Naomi completely disregarded the guy and so Phyllis called her out on her rude act by telling her that she could have said thanks. True to her nature, Naomi gave attitude like an eye roll or something, and then proceeded to advance to her limo - or at least what she thought was her limo. Turns out that the limo was actually Phyllis's and Phyllis told her something along the lines of, "Keep movin' because the limo's mine, bitch." And with that, Phyllis and her crew entered the restaurant.

Loved her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 26, 2017 9:36 PM

R17, I love that!

My favorite.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 26, 2017 9:43 PM

Betcha by Golly Wow

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 26, 2017 9:49 PM

I only know her from the "The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh" soundtrack

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 26, 2017 10:02 PM

Phyllis was irritated by the fact that people like Tina Turner and Diana Ross did not seem to have black people working for them. She was very conscious of giving back to her community, at a time when it was not necessarily in vogue. I never saw Whitney speaking like this, either. I don't think Phyllis was willing to play the game as it had been played and maybe it cost her exposure?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 26, 2017 10:13 PM

R21, Thank you. I've never seen that before, but I've seen other interviews, and she really impressed me in every one of them. She even did a college lecture tour, at one point. It pains me to think about how much she could/should have achieved, but I will never forget her.

by Anonymousreply 22November 26, 2017 10:30 PM

Why did Clive Davis have such godawful taste by the late 70s and beyond? He wanted these brilliant women to sing dross. It’s so odd because a decade earlier he had championed people like Laura Nyro. But with people like Phyllis, his taste in material was increasing appalling, and as a result their albums were never more than half-good.

by Anonymousreply 23November 27, 2017 2:00 PM

r23, because the 'dross' was a white music market. Pop.

by Anonymousreply 24November 27, 2017 2:04 PM

I LOVE Phyllis. LOVE her.

Her vocals on the Norman Connors Betcha By Golly Wow version are EVERYTHING.

She sang a sad song like nobody else, but I did love this one, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 27, 2017 2:04 PM

r8, that song is even more tragic because it came out after her suicide, on her posthumous album. She succumbed to the loneliness :(

by Anonymousreply 26November 27, 2017 7:36 PM

Imagine if Phyllis came along in today’s climate where you have to smear melisma over every phrase and sing as if you’re trying to expel something unpleasant from your ass. Which singers are responsible for the dreadful coarsening of soul music?

by Anonymousreply 27November 27, 2017 7:46 PM

Her voice was so unique. I saw her in concert at Wolf Trap near DC. Amazing.

by Anonymousreply 28November 27, 2017 7:46 PM

Who could play Phyllis in a movie about her life? And would a movie ever get made about her?

by Anonymousreply 29November 27, 2017 8:34 PM

Lisa Nicole Carson, although not as beautiful, could once have played her but is now too old.

by Anonymousreply 30November 27, 2017 9:12 PM

[quote] Who could play Phyllis in a movie about her life?

If it were 10-15 years ago I'd say Latifah, because she was a physically large woman like Latifah, and yes, Latifah has the chops to do it. But she just played Bessie Smith....not exactly the same story but still a sad one....may be too similar.

Lisa Nicole Carson is a good suggestion too but she's too old, plus she's a bit undependable. Sadly, much like Phyllis was at the end.

by Anonymousreply 31November 27, 2017 9:13 PM

Thank you for keeping this thread alive. I started it after falling down a Youtube rabbithole, and remembered how I listened to her records when I was feeling especially melancholy, during some tough times. I was heartbroken when I learned of her death, not at the time, but over a year later. She was an amazing talent, and a larger than life person (just watch an interview): a brave, articulate woman, with her own style, and amazing beauty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32November 27, 2017 11:01 PM

Thank you r32. I think Phyllis could definitely have a revival of sorts if her story is ever put on film. I think an unknown should be cast for the role, but obviously, somebody who can sing. The film would portray how her brilliance was never embraced by the wider industry and the tragedy therein, countered by Phyllis' mission to be a benefit to her own black community and not sell out like Whitney had done.

by Anonymousreply 33November 27, 2017 11:41 PM

Tilda Swinton to play Phyllis, please!

by Anonymousreply 34November 28, 2017 3:59 PM

Whoever plays Phyllis needs to have an emotional, vulnerable quality but a commanding physical presence and frankly, I don't think any black actresses on the landscape right now possess that combination.

by Anonymousreply 35November 28, 2017 4:18 PM

Barry Manilow wrote SOMEWHERE IN MY LIFETIME just with her in mind...delicious song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 28, 2017 4:21 PM

[quote]Imagine if Phyllis came along in today’s climate where you have to smear melisma over every phrase and sing as if you’re trying to expel something unpleasant from your ass. Which singers are responsible for the dreadful coarsening of soul music?

R27, I honestly don't remember melisma in popular music until Mariah Carey came along. Whitney could do it, but didn't really resort to that trick too often. Phyllis had a powerful voice, but she was all about interpreting the words of the song, which always mattered to me.

[quote]Who could play Phyllis in a movie about her life? And would a movie ever get made about her?

R29, Phyllis was such an imposing woman: she had an absolutely regal bearing, and could hold an audience in the palm of her hand. But she was never girlish: she didn't play those games. She was all woman. I'm not dissing Whitney or Mariah in any way, but they never moved me in their songs the way Phyllis could and did. I can't think of any woman who could convey her presence, but it's a beautiful thought. Even in Phyllis' earliest appearance, she carried a poise and maturity that bowled me over.

R36, That was beautiful!

by Anonymousreply 37November 29, 2017 12:16 AM

r37, I feel like Phyllis Hyman belonged to an earlier generation of singers such as Billie Holiday and Dinah Washington. She had nothing in common with Whitney Houston's brand of music. Phyllis belonged to a more soulful tradition.

by Anonymousreply 38November 29, 2017 12:36 AM

If the actress who could successfully play Phyllis is is in her teens or 20s right now, the movie will have to wait about 15 minutes to cover the period of note in Phyllis' life.

by Anonymousreply 39November 29, 2017 12:41 AM

*15 years... sorry for the typo.

by Anonymousreply 40November 29, 2017 12:41 AM

[quote]I feel like Phyllis Hyman belonged to an earlier generation of singers such as Billie Holiday and Dinah Washington. She had nothing in common with Whitney Houston's brand of music. Phyllis belonged to a more soulful tradition.

R39, Thank you! She was from a different era, when a song was meant to be SUNG!! That doesn't mean much to many of the young guys here, and that makes me sad. But a beautiful song should be SUNG. Millennials, please don't think I'm attacking you: I just want to share a great artist with you.

by Anonymousreply 41November 30, 2017 12:10 AM

I know I will get flamed for this, and I just don't care. I'm a middle-aged, Catholic white guy, who loves Phyllis Hyman because I love and respect her artistry, her passion. I think I may have attracted some LSA posters, not intentionally. If that's true, then LSA, I want to welcome you. If you're here because you love Phyllis, and don't mind that we're gay here, then I will hold your hand and welcome you. I will always love people who love art.

by Anonymousreply 42November 30, 2017 12:22 AM

WTF is LSA?

by Anonymousreply 43November 30, 2017 12:46 AM

Lovely picture thread here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44November 30, 2017 6:14 PM

GO 'HEAD PHYLLIS

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45November 30, 2017 6:15 PM

R43, Lipstick Alley.

R44, Thank You! That was glorious!

by Anonymousreply 46November 30, 2017 11:17 PM

I love her version what you won’t do for Love

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47November 30, 2017 11:23 PM

So true r37...........

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48November 30, 2017 11:28 PM

I was 8 or 9 posts in before I realized I was thinking of Phyllis NEWman. Oopsy.

by Anonymousreply 49November 30, 2017 11:58 PM

R47, That's one of her most heart-breaking songs (because so true). Lots of us can identify with that. Thanks!

R48, That was absolute magic! Phyllis had already knocked the audience out on her own, but then those dancers just kept the audience spellbound. That would have been in the early 80s, when I was in my early 20s, back before the interweb. I didn't discover her until seeing her videos on BET on TV, so I feel that I missed a lot. In different interviews, she appears to strong and commanding, but it seems like she must have been hiding a deep vulnerability, to have become so lost and forlorn to take her own life, only in her 40s. I actually think, instead of a movie, an opera might be a better way to tell her story, because it was really operatic, full of chiaroscuro.

by Anonymousreply 50December 1, 2017 12:32 AM

Phyllis couldn't stand this song, and often referred to it as the worst song she ever recorded (along with most of the accompanying album). But I don't think it's half bad.

This was the end of her Arista period, where they wanted to market her as a dance diva. Phyllis was having none of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51December 1, 2017 12:40 AM

R51, Thanks! No, it's not bad by any means. I mean, it's sort of catchy and commercial. But I think that's the problem Phyllis had with her work. She wanted to do quality stuff, but wasn't being offered it. Her weight dropped up and down, and she had a drug problem. But she still tried to hold on to her integrity, and I think it was a really tough battle. She should still be here, garnering respect for her talent and inteilligence. Her work especially affects me because of how she passed. Her Broadway debut was spectacular, and there was so much promise offered.

by Anonymousreply 52December 1, 2017 12:48 AM

Phyllis has the misfortune to come out at the same time as the Michael Jacksons and Whitney Houstons who, despite being talented, made crappy soulless music. How could she compete in that market?

by Anonymousreply 53December 1, 2017 1:25 AM

Some of her greatest work was in the Broadway show Sophisticated Ladies. Her singing Duke Ellington songs was like velvet

by Anonymousreply 54December 1, 2017 2:23 AM

She had the wrong voice for dance divs crap. She was a wonder in ballads and classic soul/jazz.

She belonged in the eras of big bands

by Anonymousreply 55December 1, 2017 2:25 AM

R53, I agree. They had talent, but so much of their 'product' is soulless. R54, Yes, that clip at R48 was divine! R55, I feel so badly for her that she seemed to be of the wrong era. She should have had a long career, and have been much better known. She can still break my heart, after all these years.

by Anonymousreply 56December 1, 2017 2:53 PM

I love this clip where Phyllis surprises Patti with a quick visit on Don Simpson's interview show. Phyllis could be so gracious, and Patti is genuinely touched by the surprise.

I wonder if Patti actually made her some chicken when she got home?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57December 1, 2017 4:03 PM

Me and Phyllis in that Sophisticated Ladies thingy.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58December 1, 2017 5:04 PM

R57, Thanks! That was so sweet and adorable. I met Miss Patti some 30-something years ago, when she was in town appearing in 'Your Arms Too Short to Box with God'. I mentioned her in another thread about the most famous celebrity we've ever met. She was a vision in white mink.

R58, That was glorious! Not only could she sing, but could SANG! I miss her so much.

by Anonymousreply 59December 1, 2017 9:59 PM

Thank you op, for this thread which caused me to rediscover Phyllis Hyman again. “Living all alone” is making me cry tears of pleasure

by Anonymousreply 60December 1, 2017 11:24 PM

i actually first noticed her because of her beauty, and only later found out what an incredible voice she had. I actually bought an album of hers because she looked so amazing on the cover. Then i was blown away, to know she could belt a song better than almost any other lady working.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61December 2, 2017 12:26 AM

Now I live the single life and I find it's another world I'm not even the same, I'm a different girl Yesterday, I was somebody's baby Now today, I'm a woman ONNNNNN MY OWWWWWWNNNNNNN WOAH WOAH I CAN'T STAND THIS LIVING ALL ALONE!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 62December 2, 2017 1:57 AM

Take the "A" Train......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63December 2, 2017 9:11 PM

R63, Thank you! Her voice was so beautifully suited to those classic Duke Ellington songs. I sometimes feel like she was born in the wrong decade.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64December 2, 2017 10:02 PM

With 'The Whispers'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65December 2, 2017 10:04 PM

Here’s a Sasson commercial on which she sung the jingle. It should’ve been released as a single.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66December 2, 2017 10:51 PM

Celebrating Glady Knight (with Melba Moore), Amazing harmony.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67December 4, 2017 12:07 AM

She and Angela Bofill (her supposed competition) had some great chemistry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68December 4, 2017 12:14 AM

[quote]I don't like nothing old, but money.

A true DLer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69December 4, 2017 12:21 AM

Phyllis was the damn DEAL!!!!

by Anonymousreply 70October 31, 2018 10:57 PM

I'm only slightly aware of her and plan to hear some of her work. Her story saddens me deeply, more than I would have figured. Maybe it's to do with all the garbage news lately. Life is so precious.

by Anonymousreply 71October 31, 2018 11:15 PM

What kind of last name is Hyman? Does she think she’s BD?

by Anonymousreply 72October 31, 2018 11:49 PM

Her voice.

Flawless!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73November 4, 2018 10:41 PM

AND THE BITCH STOPPED IN THE MIDDLE AND WHISTLED

ON KEY

am in tears

by Anonymousreply 74November 4, 2018 10:43 PM

Phyllis Hyman has been gone 25 years. She would have been 71 years old on Monday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75July 9, 2020 12:06 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!