Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tyler Hoechlin and Justin Chatwin join Netflix's Sci Fi drama 'Another Life'

Let's hope for some decent nudity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84October 31, 2019 3:28 AM

Hoechlin will NEVER bare ass, fools. NEVER. Only Posey and Haynes will show all on film!

by Anonymousreply 1August 29, 2018 3:36 AM

Hoechlin will never do nudity, fools. NEVER

by Anonymousreply 2August 29, 2018 3:50 AM

Who keeps deleting my comment? HOECHLIN WILL NEVER GET NAKED

by Anonymousreply 3August 29, 2018 3:53 AM

No one's deleting your spam Zsa Zsa

by Anonymousreply 4August 29, 2018 3:58 AM

Another Life will air in July

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 10, 2019 4:13 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 22, 2019 10:27 AM

[quote]Hailing from from creator/showunner Aaron Martin (Killjoys) and executive producer Noreen Halpern (Haven), Another Life centers on astronaut Niko Breckinridge (played by Sackhoff) who is focused on searching for alien intelligence. As she leads a young crew on a mission to explore the genesis of an alien artifact, they face unimaginable danger on what might very well be a one-way mission.

This sounds fun. But it could also go horribly wrong, like Nightflyers.

by Anonymousreply 7June 22, 2019 10:30 AM

[Quote] But it could also go horribly wrong, like Nightflyers.

*goes off to google Nightflyers*

by Anonymousreply 8June 22, 2019 10:43 AM

r8 DON'T!

by Anonymousreply 9June 22, 2019 10:45 AM

R9 why not??

by Anonymousreply 10June 22, 2019 10:47 AM

r10 Because it was so fucking bad, that's why. Your IQ might actually drop if you come into contact with anything related to that SyFy adaptation from last year. Not even The Next Big Thing (tm) Gretchen Mol was able to save it.

by Anonymousreply 11June 22, 2019 10:53 AM

R11 lol fair enough

by Anonymousreply 12June 22, 2019 10:56 AM

Isn't Nightflyers the George R.R. Martin show that relied on the author's Game of Thrones franchise fame?

I planned on watching that some day soon. Is it really that bad?

by Anonymousreply 13June 22, 2019 11:31 AM

r13 Yes, it's an adaptation of his novella, which in itself is pretty good, and has been adapted before.

But the show is atrocious and we had great fun hate-watching and tearing it apart on the official subreddit when it aired. You might actually enjoy doing that yourself as it gets stupefyingly silly by the end. I created a thread about it on DL and had really high hopes for the show, so it's a shame it turned out this way.

I recall the first red flag when the second episode listed no fewer than 23 producers...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 22, 2019 11:46 AM

Trailer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15July 10, 2019 4:43 PM

r15 Just a teaser for now but from what little we do see, I get a cheesy Nightflyers vibe, just as I feared. I'm open to being pleasantly surprised, but I'm not holding out hope.

by Anonymousreply 16July 10, 2019 4:49 PM

R16 it does look a bit cheesy. I don't think I'll be checking it out anytime soon.

by Anonymousreply 17July 10, 2019 5:25 PM

And now the trailer is out as well. Still not convinced. Has a very... Canadian feel to it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 11, 2019 4:58 PM

[Quote] Has a very... Canadian feel to it.

Don't most sci-fi shows??

by Anonymousreply 19July 11, 2019 9:29 PM

They're all ugly

by Anonymousreply 20July 11, 2019 9:37 PM

[Quote] They're all ugly

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21July 11, 2019 9:41 PM

It's getting terrible reviews. Some snarkier than others.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 24, 2019 1:19 PM

This show is terrible and cheap?

I'm *shocked*

by Anonymousreply 23July 24, 2019 1:25 PM

Whoever is greenlighting these cheap Canadian sci fi /fantasy shows with generic titles like The Order and Another Life needs to be fired from Netflix yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 24July 24, 2019 1:29 PM

I've watched the premiere for 30 minutes now and the only reason it's still on is because I wanted to come here and bitch about it. JESUS WHAT A PIECE OF CRAP THIS SHOW IS. It's even worse than Nightflyers.

The spaceship crew consists mostly of model looking millennial types who talk like teenagers and whose main function seems to be hanging around the ship and half-heartedly pressing some buttons every once in a while so it looks like they're doing something . Katee Sackhoff looks very... fresh, but at least she's trying. Tyler Hoechlin's acting is so terrible that I can seriously say I never want to see him ever again in anything. There's apparently a trans-like gay man in the crew who loves to wear stupid looking leather clothes and high-heeled boots.

Justin Chatwin is ok but with this material I only feel sorry for him. Katee"s and his kid is so annoying I want to slap her.

Terrible writing, stupid plot, uninspired directing, annoying characters. And the makers apparently think it's so liberating to be able to say fuck so they make the characters say it all time, which only makes the writing look even more lazy. It's like the show was written, directed and produced by a bunch of 15 year olds.

by Anonymousreply 25July 25, 2019 3:09 PM

Stop watching it r25. That's how you show Netflix it is crap. The reviews were enough for me to have no intention of checking it out.

by Anonymousreply 26July 25, 2019 3:36 PM

Thanks for the heads up, OP. I do love these 2 actors...nice!

by Anonymousreply 27July 25, 2019 3:38 PM

I've only seen gifs but all I see is Derek Hale in space lol. I think having the cast lose all that weight was pointless too.

by Anonymousreply 28July 26, 2019 7:33 AM

R26, oh believe me, I did stop watching. I even gave it a thumbs down although that obviously these days only "personalizes your Netflix experience". Netflix apparently couldn't handle all the negativity their shows were getting.

by Anonymousreply 29July 26, 2019 10:10 AM

I am SCREAMING watching this show. Screaming from laughter, that is. Yes, it's even worse than Nightflyers, which I have warned about at r7, because it doesn't even have any directorial panache. However, it's so bad it's good! I'm on the fourth episode and haven't been entertained by trash like this since Midnight, Texas. I've said before that garbage is sometimes the best thing for a summer brain shot by sangria and this is exactly it!

Holy shit, it's bad. Like 10% on Rotten Tomatoes bad. All of humanity sends the cast of Love Island to make first contact with alien life. Plus Hurley from Lost because you gotta have a fat person, of course. No one knows each other for some reason, they're constantly on the phones and pitching tantrums like teenagers. I swear to god the trans psychologist (also a universal doctor) is 19. She wore super long sleeves that went beyond her wrists when she administered a needle to a character. In the same scene, she says this:

[quote]Do you know that I'm, like, 1/16th Armenian?

She then launches into this long-ass anecdote about Armenian genocide that had nothing to do with anything. Bitches, I nearly choked on my watermelon. This quote nearly killed me as well:

[quote]Did you even take basic astrobiology? Cause if you did, you'd remember that boron, under the right circumstances... that can provide basic building blocks of life.

SCREAMING! I can't get enough of this. It's already a classic in my eyes.

by Anonymousreply 30July 26, 2019 11:02 AM

[quote]Tyler Hoechlin's acting is so terrible that I can seriously say I never want to see him ever again in anything.

Yeah, totally agree with that. It's basically 95% shouting and 5% salt & pepper beard. And his eyes have zero expression. He's only properly in the first episode, which was also kinda shocking.

by Anonymousreply 31July 26, 2019 11:30 AM

[Quote] It's basically 95% shouting and 5% salt & pepper beard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32July 26, 2019 11:50 AM

r32 I do love his teeth though, and I'm glad he hasn't veneered them into oblivion. They add some much-needed character to him.

by Anonymousreply 33July 26, 2019 11:55 AM

[quote]I nearly choked on my watermelon.

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 34July 26, 2019 12:07 PM

R32 some of his fans like to point out that he has bunny teeth. Almost like a fetish, I find it weird.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35July 26, 2019 2:01 PM

r35 Interesting, I didn't know that. I prefer his lower teeth as they're slightly jankier.

And I really appreciate the fact that he doesn't colour his beard with shoe polish to appear younger.

by Anonymousreply 36July 26, 2019 2:09 PM

He's always looked older with a beard. And I prefer that look but he has patches now 🙁

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37July 26, 2019 2:31 PM

Just binge watched the show. It's entertaining enough for a space soap opera. In later episodes there is a gay romance sub plot and another gay character is introduced but him being gay is not part of his storyline. There is also a throuple (two guys and a woman) and there is a scene where the (hot) guys briefly make out during a threesome.

by Anonymousreply 38July 26, 2019 9:45 PM

[Quote] In later episodes there is a gay romance sub plot and another gay character is introduced but him being gay is not part of his storyline. There is also a throuple (two guys and a woman) and there is a scene where the (hot) guys briefly make out during a threesome.

I thought it was weird there wasn't any mention of that in the reviews. They only saw the first 4 episodes.

by Anonymousreply 39July 27, 2019 1:41 AM

Did they cast odd looking people on purpose? The Asian he-she that looks like shes at war with her moustache is especially odd looking.

by Anonymousreply 40July 30, 2019 3:29 AM

Wow, this sucks.

by Anonymousreply 41July 30, 2019 3:35 AM

Tyler is morphing into Jonathan Schaech,

by Anonymousreply 42July 30, 2019 3:54 AM

R42 is that good or bad??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43July 30, 2019 6:58 AM

After watching the first few tragic episodes I'm now kind of enjoying it. I recall when Star Trek began in the 60s and even as a teen I overlooked the obvious lame sets, acting (you hear me Bill?), and sometimes the scripts. I also had problems with watching The Expanse too but now I'm on-board and finished the second series.

Now, getting back to Another Life. The character I'm watching is Alex Ozerov who plays Oliver. There is something about him I find interesting. I also agree that Hoechlin's acting was a wreck. Too bad though, I really want to like the guy.

by Anonymousreply 44July 30, 2019 8:25 AM

[Quote] I also agree that Hoechlin's acting was a wreck. Too bad though, I really want to like the guy.

He'll always have the CW......or Hallmark if he's really desperate.

by Anonymousreply 45July 30, 2019 8:32 AM

Okay, so this gets substantially less silly with the fifth episode and onward. I don't know what the hell happened during that first half. Or maybe it takes some time to get acclimated to the silly tone? The plotting is still a huge issue (remember Katee randomly going blind for one episode?), and you rarely get the sense that they're in space as there are so few external shots and the interior doesn't really look like a spaceship either. I'm not clear on how many people there are in those cryopods - an endless supply? And still not sure what sex the trans character is, or maybe that's the point? I like him/her, though.

The acting surprised me as there isn't a single really bad link, like we're used to in some network shows. Katee and the English actor are of course the strongest (though his Latin sucks ass), but the rest are close behind. Come through, Canadian talent! I really feel like they have improved in recent years as the investment in their acting sector increases. Like r44, I was utterly taken with the Russian-Canadian actor and his strawberry red lips. Delicious!

I laughed out loud when they used Sharon Van Etten's 'Jupiter 4' and Zola Jesus' 'Wiseblood' for those lame montages that had zero emotional impact because they didn't do enough character work beforehand.

The alien twist at the very end I actually enjoyed a lot and I would definitely check out the next season. Oh, and I don't think the slicked back hair really goes with Katee's severe facial features.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46July 30, 2019 2:34 PM

This is Katee's "closing scene" face. She purses her lips so the editors know it's time for a cut.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47July 30, 2019 2:36 PM

I'm surprised at how "gay" it is.

by Anonymousreply 48July 30, 2019 8:40 PM

r48 Yes, that's very good news and hopefully it's the new normal. Took them long enough!

by Anonymousreply 49July 30, 2019 8:43 PM

I also agree with the posters that say it got a bit better near the end but they really need to spend more or hire someone else to do their special effects.

by Anonymousreply 50July 31, 2019 1:20 PM

I had to struggle to get through one episode.

by Anonymousreply 51August 6, 2019 5:30 PM

It's borders on so bad it's good.

The reviews are so bad that I can't imagine Netflix renewing it without a decent audience. The show can't be that expensive to make given it's made in Canada, has low budget effects, only a couple known actors, and limited sets, so maybe the bar is low.

by Anonymousreply 52August 6, 2019 7:49 PM

Are there any shows adjacent to it in quality?

by Anonymousreply 53August 6, 2019 7:50 PM

I'm always surprised Tyler Hoechlin doesn't get better work. He can genuinely act, he's handsome, and he's effortlessly charismatic on screen.

by Anonymousreply 54August 6, 2019 8:08 PM

[Quote] I'm always surprised Tyler Hoechlin doesn't get better work. He can genuinely act, he's handsome, and he's effortlessly charismatic on screen.

I love Tyler but no....he's not a good actor. He probably could get more roles if he didn't spend so much time attending conventions.

Anyway he'll be playing Superman again (along with Brandon) in the next crossover. And he's got a romcom with Alexandra Daddario coming out next month.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55August 7, 2019 4:44 AM

Anyone currently watching this? I just finished episode 2 and can't watch the next till Monday. So is an alien popping out of her chest next episode like on the original Alien? She caught it while opening her shield on the asteroid, right?

Also Katee Sackhoff is so distracting. Her facial expressions are really, really weird.

by Anonymousreply 56August 25, 2019 7:47 AM

R56 well Katee is the lead. So get used to being distracted 😄

by Anonymousreply 57August 25, 2019 3:03 PM

[quote]r25 I've watched the premiere for 30 minutes now and the only reason it's still on is because I wanted to come here and bitch about it. JESUS WHAT A PIECE OF CRAP THIS SHOW IS.

I'm in epidode 2 and I actually like it. And who expects outerspace Sci Fi to be anything BUT cheesy, anyway? ALIEN is about the only superb one, and even that was a B movie.

I love that the major roles are half female. It adds many more varied dynamics than showing the usual 12 cowboys armwrestling in the same old spaceship.

It's good to see Selma Blair, who's living with MS, up and working. She plays a devious gossip blogger. Just as any of us would.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58October 7, 2019 11:50 PM

I chuckle every time this thread gets bumped because it's such a silly show.

[quote]And who expects outerspace Sci Fi to be anything BUT cheesy, anyway?

Those who have watched the new Battlestar Galactica? Or The Expanse?

by Anonymousreply 59October 7, 2019 11:54 PM

Oh crap - someone just brought sludge samples from a previously undiscovered planet onboard.

That's not going to end well!

by Anonymousreply 60October 7, 2019 11:56 PM

[quote]r59 Those who have watched the new Battlestar Galactica? Or The Expanse?

I don't even remember what THE EXPANSE was about. So, not terribly memorable, all in all.

Is that the one that had a kind of 40s detective type in it as the lead?

by Anonymousreply 61October 7, 2019 11:58 PM

That detective was only the lead in the first couple of episodes of the first season. And you weren't talking about memorability, but cheesiness.

by Anonymousreply 62October 8, 2019 12:01 AM

So, classy but unmemorable is good?

by Anonymousreply 63October 8, 2019 12:03 AM

It was unmemorable to you. It was very much memorable to me and obviously to enough other people because Bezos personally intervened to bring it over from SyFy to Amazon after three seasons.

by Anonymousreply 64October 8, 2019 12:06 AM

"It was very much memorable to me and obviously to enough other people because Bezos personally intervened to bring it over from SyFy to Amazon after three seasons."

Aww, you are so dramatic.

by Anonymousreply 65October 8, 2019 12:10 AM

You could have stuck to reasoned arguments, but you chose to go personal. Bye, gurl.

by Anonymousreply 66October 8, 2019 12:12 AM

Oh, I see now that was just a stalker from another thread. Sorry, r63.

by Anonymousreply 67October 8, 2019 12:13 AM

[italic]Sisters, [/italic]I'm not saying this is some masterpiece. But it's holding my attention well enough. (Not, apparently, like THE EXPANSE failed to do.)

The annoying child needs to die, however.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68October 8, 2019 12:14 AM

THE HEROINE JUST WENT BLIND!! It's [italic]Helen Keller in Space.[/italic]

I love it.

by Anonymousreply 69October 8, 2019 12:19 AM

Of course it's holding your attention, because it's mindless trash and we love to consume that now and then. Just look at my orgasmic thoughts at r25 and r30. I loved this show back when it came out! But it's objectively not better than The Expanse, regardless of your capacity to remain engaged with that show. 🙃

by Anonymousreply 70October 8, 2019 12:19 AM

Oh, and I still don't understand why she randomly went blind that episode. So bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 71October 8, 2019 12:20 AM

[quote]r70 it's mindless trash and we love to consume that now and then. Just look at my orgasmic thoughts at [R25] and [R30]. I loved this show back when it came out! But it's objectively not better than The Expanse, regardless of your capacity to remain engaged with that show. 🙃

Well, you're right that there's room in entertainment for both cheesiness and elegance. Sometimes an actor who simply holds your attention (through some freak of charisma) is more satisfying to watch than a technically proficient one.

I really am not crazy about outerspace sci-fi. The bar isn't set terribly high. Half the time I forget what the mission even IS.

They have isolated the virus onboard the ship (I was right about the sludge), so I am afraid I must go now.

by Anonymousreply 72October 8, 2019 12:27 AM

[quote]r71 Oh, and I still don't understand why she randomly went blind that episode. So bizarre.

The VIRUS that came in on the SLUDGE from the deserted PLANET had something in it that molecularly holds "the building blocks of life." So seemingly anything was possible. It affected (effected?) three of the female crew members differently. They might have even mentioned hormones.

You'd have to be a scientist to understand.

by Anonymousreply 73October 8, 2019 12:31 AM

R73, are you BILL TAYLOR?

by Anonymousreply 74October 8, 2019 12:36 AM

[quote]You'd have to be a scientist to understand.

HA! I don't think there was a single scientific advisor on that writing team, that's how outrageous some parts of it were.

by Anonymousreply 75October 8, 2019 12:37 AM

NO, I AM NOT ! !

by Anonymousreply 76October 8, 2019 12:37 AM

^^ in response to

[quote] are you BILL TAYLOR?

by Anonymousreply 77October 8, 2019 12:38 AM

Only Chatwin bares ass (and it’s nothing we haven’t seen before). With the influx of TV-14 Netflix shows, Netflix is becoming just another broadcast TV station. No different than ABC or Fox.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78October 8, 2019 2:27 AM

Yes, the show should have been raunchier. It's just a bunch of Canadian nobodies, so why not undress them now and then? It's not like they'd complain about it.

by Anonymousreply 79October 8, 2019 2:50 AM

[Quote] Only Chatwin bares ass

Of course it was. Hell will freeze over before Hoechlin shows his.

by Anonymousreply 80October 8, 2019 4:53 AM

How in the hell is this getting a season 2??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81October 31, 2019 3:16 AM

r81 I am cackling like a fool right now! But I'm also happy because I'll get another season of this mess to tear apart. 😂

by Anonymousreply 82October 31, 2019 3:24 AM

Oh, and I suspect it's getting another season because it's dirt cheap to make. Canadians...

by Anonymousreply 83October 31, 2019 3:24 AM

Netflix gives practically everything they make a second season (and they make a loooooot of garbage). Almost every single Netflix show gets at least three or four seasons before being cancelled. It’s one of the many business models that contributes to their increasing debt.

by Anonymousreply 84October 31, 2019 3:28 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!