Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Next Big Thing Gretchen Mol to star in GRRM's Nightflyers

Netflix will co-produce it with SyFy and have first-run rights to the show outside of the U.S. The 10-episode first season to be produced in Ireland with a substantial budget.

[quote]Nightflyers, picked up to pilot in June after being put into development in May, is based on Martin's 1980 novella and the 1987 film of the same name. It follows eight maverick scientists and a powerful telepath who embark on an expedition to the edge of our solar system aboard The Nightflyer — a ship with a small tight-knit crew and a reclusive captain — in the hope of making contact with alien life. But when terrifying and violent events begin to take place, they start to question each other, and surviving the journey proves harder than anyone thought.

[quote]Gretchen Mol (Boardwalk Empire) is set to star as Dr. Agatha Matheson. Eoin Macken (The Night Shift) will take on the role of Karl D'Branin. David Ajala (Fast & Furious 6) plays Roy Eris. Sam Strike (EastEnders) is Thale. Maya Eshet (Teen Wolf) is Lommie. Angus Sampson (Fargo) is Rowan. Jodie Turner-Smith (The Last Ship) is Melantha Jhirl, and Brian F. O'Byrne (Million Dollar Baby) rounds out the cast as Auggie.

Anyone familiar with the source material or the film adaptation?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36February 20, 2019 2:53 AM

I'm thinking we're definitely getting some shirtless Eoin before the first season is over.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 5, 2018 3:54 PM

I was a big fan of Song of Ice and Fire even before the HBO adaptation, but I've never read this work by him.

by Anonymousreply 2January 5, 2018 3:54 PM

Here's a picture of Eoin with Dickon Tarly which I'm sure R2 and other DL GoT fans will appreciate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 5, 2018 4:00 PM

First look!

Looks expensive so that's a good start.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4March 20, 2018 7:50 PM

How did Gretchen get the job without Harvey?

by Anonymousreply 5March 20, 2018 8:05 PM

Geo-blocked teaser is out.

Is it any good?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 14, 2018 8:46 PM

In anything of Gretchen's I've watched I've always thought she was quite good, even if the material itself might have been lackluster. I'll check this one out.

by Anonymousreply 7May 14, 2018 8:54 PM

R5 If someone supposedly blew one person dontcha think she could blow another? Remember Abel Ferrara's parody of Mol in his movie,Mary. Marion Cotillard played her as a sex maniac. The character's name was Gretchen Mol BTW.

by Anonymousreply 8May 14, 2018 8:59 PM

Trailer is out but is blocked outside the US. I'll try to find a non-blocked version as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 26, 2018 11:24 PM

Well, that wasn't as hard as I thought.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 26, 2018 11:25 PM

I can already see myself giffing the living crap out of Eoin Macken. What a handsome guy.

by Anonymousreply 11June 26, 2018 11:28 PM

Scifi and horror rarely work together (though there are some prominent exceptions, like "Alien" and its first sequel). So I'm a bit dubious.

by Anonymousreply 12June 26, 2018 11:32 PM

[R12] Event Horizon I thought worked really well as a sci fi/horror crossover. This maybe an unpopular opinion but I also enjoyed Splice another sci fi/horror hybrid.

by Anonymousreply 13June 26, 2018 11:35 PM

They released the official trailer at Comic-Con today and it looks [italic]insane.[/italic]

Also, that Eoin guy has the most perfect schnoz I've ever seen. They should just film him from the profile the whole time. I'll gif that scene with him in the super comfy sweater turning his head when the series drops and just watch it on loop until I fucking die.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14July 20, 2018 1:04 AM

Gretchen has a small part in the flashback scenes of "Yellowstone." She plays Kevin Costner's character's (who's played by Josh Lucas in the flashbacks) wife.

by Anonymousreply 15July 20, 2018 4:18 AM

Nightflyers review: Sci-fi horror journey stretches itself too thin

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16December 5, 2018 4:33 PM

My partner is watching this. All ugly people in it. Pass!

by Anonymousreply 17December 5, 2018 4:37 PM

Gretchen was great in Boardwalk Empire.

by Anonymousreply 18December 5, 2018 9:54 PM

I'm in love with the L1, Thale (Sam Strike). He's so young and fresh and smooth and lickable.

by Anonymousreply 19December 13, 2018 5:09 AM

She's the type of actress who was always okay ... but gets better with age. I was just watching her in MOZART IN THE JUNGLE. She was excellent playing a brusque lesbian attorney.

She should play Anne Heche's sister in something. They've come to look a bit alike.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 13, 2018 5:14 AM

I always liked Gretchen Mol, I felt sorry for her being saddled with all Harvey's bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 21December 13, 2018 5:17 AM

[quote]r13 I also enjoyed Splice, another sci fi/horror hybrid.

i LOOOOOOOVE [italic]Splice[/italic]

! ! ! !

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22December 13, 2018 5:19 AM

Splice was cool in spite of Adrian(I Won An Oscar!!!) Brody.

by Anonymousreply 23December 13, 2018 5:23 AM

The actor who plays Thale looks much tubbier than when I last saw him.

I think Thale and his relationship with Gretchen’s character are the only somewhat interesting elements in the show. The pacing of the show is also poor: there’s nothing really driving the narrative forward.

by Anonymousreply 24December 13, 2018 5:24 AM

My little SLICE BABY ! !

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25December 13, 2018 5:27 AM

^^ SPLICE BABY

not "Slice Baby" (!) (ick!)

by Anonymousreply 26December 13, 2018 5:28 AM

Gretchen Mol is still a thing that is supposed to happen? Fine, okay, whatever.

by Anonymousreply 27December 13, 2018 5:53 AM

She cut her hair short.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28December 14, 2018 3:26 AM

Unfortunately the show is total crap. Full of cliches, bad writing, non-visionary art direction, non-visionary directing, so-so acting, unlikeable characters, a total blandfest.

I only managed to watch the first episode before fast-forwarding through the rest of the episodes. Honestly, even the crappy The Cloverfield Paradox was a few levels above this. Obviously since I really only watched the first episode I can't say I really know what the show's like, but I just couldn't waste more time watching this. George R. R. Martin must be proud.

by Anonymousreply 29February 2, 2019 6:46 AM

Yack, R25, can you imagine? I wants to pet you..no I don't...I want to beat you with a sledge hammer!

by Anonymousreply 30February 2, 2019 7:21 AM

The first two episodes are brilliant. Third was a bit slow comparatively, but I’m going to stick with it. It looks beautiful and expensive too.

by Anonymousreply 31February 2, 2019 10:42 AM

R31, brilliant and expensive looking? Geez, to each their own but my god.

by Anonymousreply 32February 2, 2019 11:33 PM

My god, what? We’re having a conversation here. If you disagree with someone’s opinion say why.

by Anonymousreply 33February 9, 2019 3:48 PM

Oh, I hoped said Eoin would be Eoin Bailey.

by Anonymousreply 34February 9, 2019 4:43 PM

So long, Eoin's gorgeous nose and greasy hair. One of the worst shows I've seen last year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35February 20, 2019 1:49 AM

Love Gretchen!

by Anonymousreply 36February 20, 2019 2:53 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!