Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What do you actually like about English TV murder mysteries?

I have seen they're tremendously popular on DL and I was wondering what exactly is their great appeal to YOU PERSONALLY.

Do you prefer the period ones or the ones set in the present day?

AND which is your absolute favorite?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189September 23, 2018 11:55 AM

I find them relaxing

by Anonymousreply 1August 16, 2018 12:27 AM

I love murder. I just do.

by Anonymousreply 2August 16, 2018 12:28 AM

Midsomers Murder I think the reason that many on here fall asleep while watching, myself included, is that the music enhances delta brain waves.

by Anonymousreply 3August 16, 2018 12:31 AM

I like the dark, urban, unconventional ones. "Luther" is top-notch.

by Anonymousreply 4August 16, 2018 12:31 AM

The acting. Superb.

And not everyone looks like they walked out of a plastic surgeon’s office.

by Anonymousreply 5August 16, 2018 12:33 AM

I like them because they are all so different. There are intense ones that go in depth and explain how victims died (Midsomer Murders, Messiah), there are ones that are historical in nature (Whitechapel), there are ones that are light and campy (Father Brown, Shakespeare & Hathaway, Murder Most Horrid).

by Anonymousreply 6August 16, 2018 12:34 AM

Whitechapel was amazing, R6.

by Anonymousreply 7August 16, 2018 12:40 AM

1. Inspector Morse 2. Foyle's War 3. Taggart 4. Prime Suspect

Great writing, great acting.

by Anonymousreply 8August 16, 2018 12:41 AM

Foyle's War is brilliant R8.

by Anonymousreply 9August 16, 2018 12:46 AM

I think it's so strange that neither the detectives nor the constables (like in Midsomer) carry guns.

by Anonymousreply 10August 16, 2018 12:56 AM

Here you go - there's a lot of stuff discussed here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 16, 2018 1:07 AM

Thanks, R11 - but I'm looking for answers to these specific questions - and so far the responses are very interesting.

by Anonymousreply 12August 16, 2018 1:10 AM

I like the escapism of shows like Midsomer Murders. It seems like it would be wonderful to live in a place called Midsomer Worthy, for example, even with all the murders.

by Anonymousreply 13August 16, 2018 1:28 AM

Escapism also here. I would love to be part of a dykey pair of gardeners driving around England in an old Land Rover.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 16, 2018 1:31 AM

Some of the acting is great, but some of the acting is awful. David Tennant is the worst ham alive in "Broadchurch"--I eventually had to stop watching in the 2nd season because he's so ridiculous.

What I love best is either a) great local color (Shetland, Happy Valley) or great time period flavor (Foyle's War, Endeavour). If you have great acting on top of either of those, it's best of all.

I don't like too light (Midsomer Murders is not a favorite), but oddly enough if it gets much too dark (like hinterland) I stop watching. I like it darker rather than lighter, though.

by Anonymousreply 15August 16, 2018 1:38 AM

[quote]I would love to be part of a dykey pair of gardeners driving around England in an old Land Rover.

I'm sure that's a dream that could be achieved, R14.

by Anonymousreply 16August 16, 2018 1:44 AM

I liked Cadfael due to its long ago time period. Like the genre because you know it will be solved, but the mystery and misdirection keep it exciting to the end.

by Anonymousreply 17August 16, 2018 2:04 AM

Excellent acting. Better consistency in the writing, I suspect because the series don't go on and on. They're set in a foreign country, but it's not so foreign that I'm perplexed. Foreign enough to make the story more interesting.

1. Prime Suspect 2. Foyle's War 3. Endeavour 4. Inspector Morse

I'm currently working my way through DCI Banks, which is okay. I liked the Jeremy Brett Sherlock series. I watched Ripper Street for a few seasons, but Matthew McFadyen got too annoying and the story line too convoluted.

by Anonymousreply 18August 16, 2018 2:07 AM

I prefer the period mysteries. In the "Poirot" episodes starring David Suchet, Clive Exton who adapted Wodehouse's "Jeeves" stories for television also put in some cute "banter" moments between Hastings and Poirot. I like the costuming and the locations. Right now I'm making my way through the series. More recently, I started watching "Endeavour" because I am a Roger Allam fan.

by Anonymousreply 19August 16, 2018 2:12 AM

Yes, Roger Allan is a tasty specimen of male pulchitrude.

Morse, Endeavor, Lewis, Happy Valley, Foyle’s War, Broadchurch, George Gently are all favorites.

I’ve seen some of them many times over. Early seasons of Midsomer are quaint and don’t take themselves too seriously.

by Anonymousreply 20August 16, 2018 2:22 AM

Quirky. Funny. Not testosterone addled like some shows..Actors in the superb Brit tradition, who bring texture to even the smallest role..I'm an Anglophile anyway.

by Anonymousreply 21August 16, 2018 2:35 AM

They’re mostly not flashy. Very few car chases; not interested in slick production values; the women cops aren’t wearing low cut, tight fitting shirts (that no female cop would wear unless undercover as a hooker); no corny jokes; the actors aren’t sculpted by plastic surgery, their aren’t 17 gun fights with bad guys. American cop shows are too obviously phony & unrealistic. Which is not to say that UK crime shows are never unrealistic. Just aren’t as obvious.

I like the period piece crime dramas because they remind me of things I forgot existed, like phone directories, telephone operators, secretaries, meter readers, milkmen, extensive train travel, transatlantic travel by ship, people mending their clothes & shoes instead of throwing them away....

I wish PBS would air their shows in 45 minute episodes instead of 90 minute episodes. I don’t have TiVo and I need to pee, or yell at the cats, or answer a question from my husband, who always wants to launch into one of his “tell you a funny story” drones during the most crucial moments. (The stories aren’t funny. They’re boring dreck about nothing).

I can’t help noticing lately how many Americanisms they use in these shows nowadays. It’s jarring in historical dramas.

by Anonymousreply 22August 16, 2018 3:24 AM

[quote]I can’t help noticing lately how many Americanisms they use in these shows nowadays. It’s jarring in historical dramas.

Yes! LOL

by Anonymousreply 23August 16, 2018 3:27 AM

[quote] if it gets much too dark (like hinterland)

I stopped watching hinterland after the second episode because it was so deliberately dark & morose that it actually became a satire on itself. Rain, mud, old dank houses, dirty wallpaper, rain, dark skies, frowns, dark baggy clothes, rain, glowering moods, ennui, depression, mildew...I finally started laughing and couldn’t stop.

by Anonymousreply 24August 16, 2018 3:42 AM

Being from the US, I love the peak into UK towns. In Broadchurch, the seaside town that’s almost a version of a New England small town. The countryside in Midsomer Murders. The latter is also an easy watch, there’s no heavy investment and the lead is charming (I’ve only watched the older seasons with the blue eyed detective). There’s a charm to that show that doesn’t exist on American tv.

I enjoyed Luther but it can be so heavy and depressing that I need to take breaks from it.

by Anonymousreply 25August 16, 2018 3:48 AM

It's just great to be nice and cozy at home on the couch watching them--mindless entertainment and the acting is usually good. I like most of these shows but a few can be boring duds.

by Anonymousreply 26August 16, 2018 3:49 AM

More literate than the usual American crap and yet don't take as much out of you as Handmaid's Tale or Billions or something like that.

The TV equivalent of the sort of books I like for beach reading.

by Anonymousreply 27August 16, 2018 3:51 AM

Oh, and James Norton shirtless. That helps too.

by Anonymousreply 28August 16, 2018 3:52 AM

The UK version of Wallander was horrible. Branagh’s hammy existentialism, his knee jerk liberalism made me roll my eyes - I’m progressive, but with a brain. I hate knee jerk liberalism more than conservatives do because it gives progressives a bad name. We get it Kenny - there’s bad stuff in the world and it makes you so angsty you want to get violent, but violence is never the answer. Got it. Refugees are always oppressed, Neo nazis are bad, traditional gender roles are crappy, injustice stinks, murder is really, really bad. So bad it makes you overact and look to the heavens for solace....but there’s nothing there. And only Wallander cares.

by Anonymousreply 29August 16, 2018 3:52 AM

New Tricks. Anyone else loves this show? It’s similar to Cold Case.

by Anonymousreply 30August 16, 2018 3:56 AM

"I’m progressive, but with a brain. I hate knee jerk liberalism more than conservatives do because it gives progressives a bad name. "

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31August 16, 2018 3:56 AM

[quote] I wish PBS would air their shows in 45 minute episodes instead of 90 minute episodes.

They do in Washington. Midsomer Murders, Foyle's War, Waking the Dead. I'm trying to think of any others. Though sometimes they show two 45 minute episodes in a row. Iit deoends on when it's shown. The first time they run it, it's usually in one long episode. When they rerun it again they break it up.

by Anonymousreply 32August 16, 2018 3:56 AM

The countryside sceneries. The 70s period nostalgia.

by Anonymousreply 33August 16, 2018 3:57 AM

Like American sitcoms, I don't have to watch English TV murder mysteries too closely. I can cook, do housework, laundry, etc. They are relaxing and they put in a little bit of everything for all their publics. There is usually some eye candy for me.

by Anonymousreply 34August 16, 2018 3:57 AM

Foyle's War was pretty good the first few episodes but got to be a drag after a while, sort of the same old shit. Father Brown mysteries are sort of darkly amusing--the idea of a vicar or priest solving mysteries, whatever...some of those can be boring too.

by Anonymousreply 35August 16, 2018 4:15 AM

I like Endeavour and George Gently. The Poirot series was excellent.

by Anonymousreply 36August 16, 2018 4:26 AM

I don't like police procedurals, those shows where you linger on the crime scene and the music goes "DUM DUM.......DUM DUM..........DUM DUM".

My favorite is R14 's dykey gardener show, Rosemary and Thyme. Tons of plot holes, but beautiful colors. They also address the dyke issue in one show where an unpleasant policeman infers that they are lesbians. It's very amusing, they handle it well.

If you haven't seen it all the episodes are on Youtube. Here's they lesbian themed show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37August 16, 2018 4:43 AM

For formulaic mysteries I prefer the American true crime investigation shows.

by Anonymousreply 38August 16, 2018 4:51 AM

I wouldn't enjoy them half as much if closed-captioning hadn't been invented. And sometimes I have to make a list of the many Britishisms I don't understand and look them up afterward.

by Anonymousreply 39August 16, 2018 4:57 AM

Foods I’ve learned about from UK tv dramas

Horlicks

Scotch eggs

Cheese & pickle sandwiches (really cheese & chutney sandwiches)

Fish paste

Makintosh’s Good News - sort of the UK Whitman’s sampler, including such flavors as creme tangerine, montelimart, ginger sling, coffee dessert, and of course, the savoy truffle.

Babycham

Victoria sandwich

Barley sugar

Blancmange

All takeout Indian food seems to be called “a curry.”

All desserts are puddings

by Anonymousreply 40August 16, 2018 5:11 AM

r40 watches "Call the Midwife."

by Anonymousreply 41August 16, 2018 5:20 AM

Ugh, Call the Midwife is one of the few I just won't watch at all.

by Anonymousreply 42August 16, 2018 5:24 AM

I like the premise of "prim and proper" facades getting cracks and reveal the dark and sinister truths behind them.

by Anonymousreply 43August 16, 2018 5:46 AM

It’s not a mystery show but I love Doc Martin. And Mrs Brown too.

by Anonymousreply 44August 16, 2018 5:58 AM

Yes, r44 Doc Martin is very well done. It was best when Stephanie Cole played his aunt. There was one episode where his parents (his father was her brother, I think) and his aunt have it out over who really cared for Doc Martin as a boy--that was probably the best acting I have ever seen in a TV series.

by Anonymousreply 45August 16, 2018 6:13 AM

R45 I found out there are many international versions of Doc Martin

by Anonymousreply 46August 16, 2018 6:22 AM

I haven't followed any British crime dramas in years..thanks for the clip, R37 I have always enjoyed Felicity Kendall and in that opening scene it's like she is reprising her long-ago role as Barbara Good in "Good Life" (Good Neighbors stateside).

R39 My mom always had those same complaints. "What are you laughing about?" "I can't understand what they're saying". As a kid in the late 60s, early 70s, I was immersed in the output of Pinewood Studios, Thames TV and ITV. It was all over the place in syndication on US TV . And thanks to the British Invasion, we couldn't get enough of it. It was almost an ESL course.

The well-regarded Haynes automotive manuals always had a British glossary and an American one. It was fun to compare the definitions, especially the terms we had in common, that often had VERY different meanings in each "language'"

Does anyone here have BritBox? it seems like good value to me-but some reviews have been less than enthusiastic.

by Anonymousreply 47August 16, 2018 7:06 AM

[quote]All takeout Indian food seems to be called “a curry.”

Not just takeout or rather, "takeaway" - "Let's go for a curry."

[quote]All desserts are puddings

The lower classes say dessert. The upper classes laugh at people who do.

by Anonymousreply 48August 16, 2018 9:41 AM

The Fall was really well done. Even though you know who the murderer is from the outset, they kept the tension up. Great a ting, even from the kids and teens. Dark but very enjoyable. And the fact that each season is only 6 or 8 episodes means that your commitment has an end in sight.

by Anonymousreply 49August 16, 2018 10:01 AM

r48 I assume you are a Brit. While surfing the net, I once saw someone use the phrase "vindaloo arse acher" as a pun on Peterloo Massacre. Can you confirm the arse burning effect of vindaloo?

by Anonymousreply 50August 16, 2018 10:05 AM

I have Britbox. It's been somewhat disappointing.

by Anonymousreply 51August 16, 2018 10:08 AM

R29 I hope you at least got a laugh out of Tom Hiddleston's hideous hair in Wallander. His character was also written to be somewhat of a stupid prick, they really made him unappealing.

by Anonymousreply 52August 16, 2018 10:41 AM

I just started Midsomer Murders. That's a house where a "poor schoolteacher" lives? And why "Beekeeper Cottage"?

by Anonymousreply 53August 16, 2018 10:58 AM

[quote]I just started Midsomer Murders. That's a house where a "poor schoolteacher" lives?

Sometimes schools own the houses where the teacher lives and they rent it, cheap.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54August 16, 2018 11:09 AM

[quote]Like American sitcoms, I don't have to watch English TV murder mysteries too closely. I can cook, do housework, laundry, etc. They are relaxing and they put in a little bit of everything for all their publics. There is usually some eye candy for me.

Really, you don't have to follow a murder mystery "closely"? I thought that's the whole point of a murder mystery, you can't be distracted for a second...or you'll miss something VERY IMPORTANT.

by Anonymousreply 55August 16, 2018 11:13 AM

The only one I watched was 'Happy Valley', mostly because of Sarah Lancashire's phenomenal acting. I also enjoyed Steve Pemberton in season 1, whom I only knew from 'League of Gentlemen' and was surprised to see him playing a 'normal' character. And James Norton was an interesting choice: a gorgeous man to play a reprehensible monster.

by Anonymousreply 56August 16, 2018 11:19 AM

If you like Steve Pemberton, see him in Whitechapel. You'll stay for the Rupert Penis-Jones.

by Anonymousreply 57August 16, 2018 11:22 AM

While I do appreciate the gritty drama of modern Brit noir crime shows and their foggy, anxiety building atmospheres, nothing beats classic Brit TV murder mysteries for building a homey ambiance and pulling you into a cozy comfort zone, where you're comfortable just sitting and thinking.

I love "Hetty Wainthropp Investigates" because besides Routledge always being entertaining, it's like you're visiting Grandma but also having your head jogged to solve a mystery, at the same time. Toast and marmalade for tea, Grammy and mystery. It helps that I've always had a good relationship with my Grandma and this reminds me of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58August 16, 2018 11:31 AM

[quote]All desserts are puddings

The Pudding Club at the Devington School is best avoided.

by Anonymousreply 59August 16, 2018 11:32 AM

The acting is very good as a general rule. Nowhere near a slick as American shows. It's just refreshing to see people who look like real people, no cookie cutter plastic surgery noses, bolted on boobs etc. I remember on Midsomer episode in particular, with a "sexpot" barmaid who looked just like the women I see from time to time, older, droopy, bleached blonde. In other words a real person.

There is often a strong sense of place and time, whereas many American shows are set in Generic City USA. I enjoy the local colour touches.

by Anonymousreply 60August 16, 2018 11:33 AM

R60 Couldn’t agree more

by Anonymousreply 61August 16, 2018 11:36 AM

This the REAL secret confessions board of DL. Admitting that you like to make a cup of tea and watch retro Brit crime dramas like "Hetty Winthropp Investigates. "

by Anonymousreply 62August 16, 2018 11:38 AM

R62 Nah it’s trendy to love the Brits. Unlike the more commercial Ame.

by Anonymousreply 63August 16, 2018 11:42 AM

"Ame."?

by Anonymousreply 64August 16, 2018 11:59 AM

[quote]bolted on boobs etc.

LOL

by Anonymousreply 65August 16, 2018 12:00 PM

[quote]There is often a strong sense of place and time, whereas many American shows are set in Generic City USA.

Probably because they're shot in Canada pretending to be the USA

by Anonymousreply 66August 16, 2018 12:02 PM

R64 American shows

by Anonymousreply 67August 16, 2018 12:04 PM

1. I recognize many of the actors from other shows. Doctor Who has graduated a number of actors

2. The plots seem to be written for mystery fans who understand convention so we get fascinating twists that work on their own but blow my mind when taken in context

3. The seasons are shorter - especially appreciated when we have to deal with multi-episode stories

4. I don't follow British TV gossip so I'm willing to suspend disbelief

Most importantly

5. Orthodontia: While they don't have awful teeth, naturally shaped teeth are less unsettling than the same set of Hollywood chompers jammed into differently sized bobble heads

by Anonymousreply 68August 16, 2018 12:34 PM

R68, I agree with everything except #2 and#3.

The plots are often recycled. If I see the plot about dirty dealings that happened at the home for boys 20 years ago which now implicates high-powered politicians today, I am going to scream. Also, they have got into the habit of making the murder either the person that appears to have the least motive or the person who appears for three minutes at the beginning of the program and the is not seen until the last 15 min. Somewhere on DL there is a thread I started about the cliches of British mystery TV programs.

As to #3, the shows are often two-six part series. They are clearly padded to fill the format. Very few are single episodes.

That said, I love the acting, I love the scenery, and I love the sense of place. I completely agree about the teeth. I wills say though that the actors are getting to look more plastic in the most recent programs.

by Anonymousreply 69August 16, 2018 12:51 PM

My reasons have already been listed. Good acting, real character faces, interesting plots that don't rely on lots of guns and car chases, insight into British life and a longstanding bias that anything said with a British accent sounds more intelligent. Also, adore Roger Allam.

by Anonymousreply 70August 16, 2018 12:51 PM

Found it

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71August 16, 2018 12:56 PM

What I like about English murder mysteries is that they usually mix old people with young people and have a wide range of murder suspects. It's like Love Boat with less singing and dancing, but with murder!

On Midsomer Murders I like all these pubs with their distinct names that hint of a really interesting backstory (you sadly never find out).

by Anonymousreply 72August 16, 2018 12:58 PM

R55 none of it is that important and there is very little narrative integrity anyway. What R72 says, is the attraction.

by Anonymousreply 73August 16, 2018 1:00 PM

I love Rosemary & Thyme's opening theme and the episodes where the gals take trips outside England. I was really bummed out when I read that it was canceled (clearly they wanted to do something with Laura and her ex-husband and the box of personal belongings that vanished in one episode).

by Anonymousreply 74August 16, 2018 1:04 PM

I gave up trying to figure out who the murder is a long time ago. I just enjoy the locations and the acting. If I were rich I'd totally move to a place like Midsomer and enjoy my tea and the murder investigation right in my front yard.

by Anonymousreply 75August 16, 2018 1:07 PM

Sorry, ... who the MURDERER is a long time ago.

by Anonymousreply 76August 16, 2018 1:08 PM

R75, Midsomer is a total fantasy. The producer got in hot water (and was fired?) because the show is so white. Nobody seemed to get the point that the show was a fictional, cozy English village with real world murder problems. It wasn't a docudrama. I loved the early episodes with the over-the-top characters such as those played by Richard Cant.

My favorite is Chasing Shadows. This is another program that was cancelled mid-storyline. I would love to know the reason.

by Anonymousreply 77August 16, 2018 1:13 PM

IMO the best WTF moment on Midsomer Murder was when they had a black country singer performing. You just knew that the producer was really mocking the new diversity casting guidelines.

by Anonymousreply 78August 16, 2018 1:25 PM

Bold. Daring. Creative.

Whether it's mystery, drama, or comedy, the English are not afraid to try new things. And it certainly has paid of well for us !

What's not to 💟 ?

by Anonymousreply 79August 16, 2018 1:33 PM

[quote]I also enjoyed Steve Pemberton in season 1, whom I only knew from 'League of Gentlemen' and was surprised to see him playing a 'normal' character.

If you like Steve Pemberton, search out the first few seasons of Benidorm. He plays the husband of Siobhan Finneran (the ladies maid from Downton Abbey).

by Anonymousreply 80August 16, 2018 1:42 PM

[quote][R75], Midsomer is a total fantasy. The producer got in hot water (and was fired?) because the show is so white.

This is the new thing, isn't it? It's not as though the Cotswolds are teeming with black people in real life. I lived in the Cotswolds for a couple of years a (failed) experiment, with my parents...and there were and are villages and towns much like Midsomer. Great Tew, springs to mind. > >

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81August 16, 2018 1:42 PM

Ditto to R79!

Also some of the actors are so good looking. James Norton is sexy as hell. I also fell in lust with Craig McLachlan from the Australian series "Dr. Blake." Unfortunately, he has been accused by several women of sexual harassment and assault. McLachlan has disputed the allegations, but he has been dropped from the production.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82August 16, 2018 1:44 PM

[quote] If I were rich I'd totally move to a place like Midsomer and enjoy my tea and the murder investigation right in my front yard.

This place is wating for you in Great Tew, R75.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83August 16, 2018 1:44 PM

If I lived in great Tew I'd befriend the people who live in the manor house.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84August 16, 2018 1:47 PM

LOL - when I first came to DL I couldn't understand why on the "where would you live if you could live anywhere?" threads so many people wrote, The Cotswolds.

One day I dared ask and someone explained about...the people on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 85August 16, 2018 1:54 PM

I understand the original premise of Midsomer Murders was that these small Cotswold type villages had a lot of eccentric people in them. And there's also a lot of class envy which the British love. The show is in the genre of the eccentric characters that Agatha Christie invented.

I can also understand the diversity complaint. Couldn't they hire a non-white sidekick? They finally hired an Indian woman as the coroner but that seems another role they could have cast non-white from the beginning. I imagine John Nettles had approval of the sidekick casting. There was one that showed up for about 2 minutes and then was gone. But it also makes sense that it's difficult to cast an old British family living in a generational home and fill it with non-white people.

by Anonymousreply 86August 16, 2018 1:57 PM

[quote]LOL - when I first came to DL I couldn't understand why on the "where would you live if you could live anywhere?" threads so many people wrote, The Cotswolds.

You wouldn't believe how many Americans think they want to live in a small village like the Cotswolds. And the second choice seems to be a small town like Mayberry (Andy Griffith Show).

When I visited the Cotswolds, I had a nice time. But I don't think I would want to live there permanently. I think I would get bored.

by Anonymousreply 87August 16, 2018 1:59 PM

Never got into Midsomer M. though. The main characters seemed pretty bland.

by Anonymousreply 88August 16, 2018 2:01 PM

R88, I don’t think you could call the characters in the first few seasons “bland”. There were some really eccentric characters.

by Anonymousreply 89August 16, 2018 2:03 PM

Fun fact: the instrument that they play the Midsomer Murders theme song on, a Theremin, is played without touching it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90August 16, 2018 2:10 PM

The Theremin was also used in the first Started Trek theme.

by Anonymousreply 91August 16, 2018 2:19 PM

It's also used for the original Doctor Who theme.

by Anonymousreply 92August 16, 2018 2:32 PM

The cook who is always a simpleton whoooore? Found DEAD with a fish in her mouth next to a Theremin device.

by Anonymousreply 93August 16, 2018 2:42 PM

R89, I meant the detective and his sidekick and the wife. I've only seen a couple episodes though. Tone-wise, it's similar to Father Brown. It took while for me to appreciate that show but I do like the moral dilemmas which give the show more depth.

by Anonymousreply 94August 16, 2018 3:06 PM

R94, in my opinion the very ordinary qualities of the reoccurring characters is to counterbalance the episode specific ones. There are some interesting in jokes if you look such a the Barnabys kitchen is different in every season.

That said, can we please talk about other programs.

by Anonymousreply 95August 16, 2018 3:17 PM

I find UK TV shows to be much more realistic due to the actors they use. Whenever I see a character that is purported to be poor I never have any difficulty believing it. In America the "poor" people always look like models playing poor.

by Anonymousreply 96August 16, 2018 3:22 PM

[quote]That said, can we please talk about other programs.

Grul, the whole point of this thread is that YOU name the shows YOU like - if you want to talk about them, name them.

by Anonymousreply 97August 16, 2018 4:32 PM

R97, I have. I also linked to the previous DL thread.

by Anonymousreply 98August 16, 2018 5:26 PM

I didn't like DCI Banks. Didn't like the lead actor.

Has anyone seen Line Of Duty? Very gritty, suspenseful, complicated. Not cozy. I've watched the first two seasons.

by Anonymousreply 99August 16, 2018 6:26 PM

Another fun fact: Léon Theremin, who invented the Theremin, was a Soviet spy. He came to the US in 1927, worked for all sorts of businesses & non businesses (he developed a metal detector for Alcatraz). RCA was one of the major companies he worked for. He invented a bug, or listening device, that the head of the NKVD, Beria, planted in embassies of the US, Britain & France. He invented another listening device called The Thing that was planted in a wood carving of The Great Seal of the United States, given as a gift to Averrell Harriman from Soviet schoolchildren. It hung in Harriman’s Moscow office for 7 years before it was discovered, transmitting all conversations to the NKVD/KGB.

Theremin was hustled out of the US in 1938 by Russians. He was arrested back home and supposedly spent years in a gulag science lab, developing electronics for the KGB. He was “released” from the gulag (quotation marks from Wikipedia) in 1947 and was “rehabilitated” under Khrushchev. He chose to stay with the KGB well into the 1960s. In the 1970s, he was a physics professor at Moscow University. He died in 1993 at age 97.

by Anonymousreply 100August 16, 2018 6:31 PM

[quote]Has anyone seen Line Of Duty?

I've watched it but it gets a bit complicated to follow. I still don't understand the season with Keeley Hawes. Was she responsible or not?

by Anonymousreply 101August 16, 2018 6:36 PM

I can't believe only one person mentioned Taggart!

by Anonymousreply 102August 16, 2018 7:24 PM

[quote] (clearly they wanted to do something with Laura and her ex-husband and the box of personal belongings that vanished in one episode).

What did they do with her?

Others have said this, but I love that many of the actors are character actors who show up in different shows. The Laura in Rosemary and Thyme has been in, I think, two Dickens adaptations and a ton of other movies that I wouldn't expect to see her in.

by Anonymousreply 103August 16, 2018 10:07 PM

I once saw Anton Lesser in 3 different crime shows playing 3 different characters in one week on my PBS station. Not to mention he is also the evil Maester Qyburn on Game of Thrones.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104August 16, 2018 10:21 PM

These mystery shows are like an old, comfortable bathrobe. My mom worked at night & when she came home she took off her shoes, put on her bathrobe, made a cup of tea, put up her feet and turned on PBS to watch whatever comedy, drama or procedural was on. She always made sure to get pastry from the local bakery after church on Sunday so that when she came home that night we could “have something for a cup of tea”

by Anonymousreply 105August 16, 2018 10:29 PM

R104, it's almost made for a drinking game.

by Anonymousreply 106August 16, 2018 10:35 PM

Anton Lesser is faaabulous. He was Thomas More in Wolf Hall. Not a cozy mystery but absolutely fascinating to watch if you like history and intrigue.

by Anonymousreply 107August 16, 2018 11:20 PM

THIS will probably interest you gurls.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108August 16, 2018 11:24 PM

OH HELL YES

by Anonymousreply 109August 16, 2018 11:43 PM

I just saw Anton Lesser on an old Poirot episode

by Anonymousreply 110August 17, 2018 3:21 AM

R110, details..? Which one? Plot?

by Anonymousreply 111August 17, 2018 3:51 AM

r111, this is it. He was playing a detective, similar to his role on Endeavour!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112August 17, 2018 3:56 AM

R112, I looked at your link and saw the photo of Adam Croasdell who's in the film. What a handsome guy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113August 17, 2018 4:52 AM

I never particularly cared for Agatha Christie, or the whodunnit schlock such as "Murder, She Wrote", and a lot of the UK shows tread the same territory even now in 2018 ("Midsomer Murders", "Death In Paradise", "Father Brown" and what have you) It's formulaic mental candy floss.

What I like are more complex UK crime dramas where a single story arc stretches over an entire season, with good acting, and with intelligent writing. Some examples: "Happy Valley", "The Unforgotten", "Marcella", Seasons 1 and 2 of "The Fall", "Collateral", to name a few. Then, there are those shows which still owe a bit to the Miss Marple genre of British crime dramas such as "Shetland" and "Hinterland", but which make up for that with interesting locales and strong performances.

by Anonymousreply 114August 17, 2018 5:02 AM

Speaking on long arcs (re: R114), I know it's not a murder mystery, but I absolutely became addicted to MI5 (Spooks was the UK title) when they put it on Netflix. Unlike our favorite whodunits here, international/urban (not rural), tightly written, with characters who are meant to be AND sound intelligent.

(I particularly loved the actress from the Duchess of Duke street who played a retired spy.)

by Anonymousreply 115August 17, 2018 5:17 AM

[quote]the actress from the Duchess of Duke street

OMG - that seemed to run for years and I had not the slightest clue what they were going on about.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116August 17, 2018 2:29 PM

I liked Spooks well enough the first few seasons but they kept killing everyone off. The first funeral was effective, everyone there in church for their fellow "office worker" and then all their cell phones went off simultaneously.

I just started Shetland and, bloody hell, why are subtitles even optional?

by Anonymousreply 117August 17, 2018 3:03 PM

I just watched the new "Ordeal By Innocence" on Amazon and learned what a "bedsit" is. It seems to be what we'd call a studio apartment or an efficiency.

by Anonymousreply 118August 17, 2018 4:13 PM

Isn't a bedsit like an old "servants" bedroom--very small, just room for a bed, possibly in the attic, no bathroom?

by Anonymousreply 119August 17, 2018 6:38 PM

A bedsit is usually in a home rather than an apartment building. It's basically a tiny room with a bed, a chair and possibly a sink. Usually cooking is done on a hotplate. The toilet is in the hall shared with others. It's usually smaller than the American studio apartment.

by Anonymousreply 120August 17, 2018 6:44 PM

I haven't heard the term in ages but maybe a sink in the room, and a hot plate but shared bathroom down the hall.

by Anonymousreply 121August 17, 2018 6:44 PM

Haha jinx r120

by Anonymousreply 122August 17, 2018 6:45 PM

I just started Ordeal by Innocence. Twin Luke Treadaway plays a pivotal role, plus there are Matthew Goode, Anthony Boyle, and Christian Cooke to look at. I haven't watched enough yet to know if I like the storytelling.

It's on Amazon Prime.

by Anonymousreply 123August 17, 2018 6:51 PM

Don’t forget the coin operated electricity meter in your bedsit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124August 17, 2018 7:25 PM

I switch the channel whenever Richard E Grant’s horrendous daughter shows up. It’s just not worth sitting through a show where I have to wince every time she shows up on screen.

by Anonymousreply 125August 17, 2018 7:28 PM

[quote]A bedsit is usually in a home rather than an apartment building. It's basically a tiny room with a bed, a chair and possibly a sink. Usually cooking is done on a hotplate. The toilet is in the hall shared with others. It's usually smaller than the American studio apartment.

Not just, it's more usual to have a whole building full of bedsits and they can be quite a large room. You're describing "lodgings".

I had the misfortune to live in a few bedsits in my youth. Cheaper than renting an apartment and without the downsides of sharing. But yes, shared loo on the landing. Mine had its own little kitchen and a bathtub in the kitchen. But was in a very nice part of London. Most of those types of houses have now been converted back into fancy multi-million-pound homes.

(I knew people in NYC in the 80s who had apartments with the loo in the corridor and a tub in the kitchen.)

If someone came to visit you, you were given a "code" - four short rings on the bell etc,,.

Also of course in those days, one pay phone for the whole house and they looked like THIS >

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126August 17, 2018 8:17 PM

[quote]Also of course in those days, one pay phone for the whole house and they looked like THIS >

I hope some kind soul tacked a pencil on string nearby for us pencil-dialers.

by Anonymousreply 127August 17, 2018 8:27 PM

Is anyone watching Bletchley Circle: SF. I just finished the second episode and it was so implausible. I cannot believe they actually filmed that script.

by Anonymousreply 128August 17, 2018 10:02 PM

r128 I loved the original Bletchley Circle. Where is the other one available (in the US)?

by Anonymousreply 129August 17, 2018 10:04 PM

R126, it is on Britbox. I liked the first British one. The second, not so much. I am trying to give the SF version a chance. The actresses are wonderful, but the scripts... OY!

by Anonymousreply 130August 17, 2018 10:49 PM

What's SF mean?

by Anonymousreply 131August 17, 2018 10:50 PM

San Francisco

by Anonymousreply 132August 17, 2018 10:51 PM

btw, I found some episodes of Morse on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 133August 17, 2018 11:03 PM

First four seasons of Endeavor are free on amazon Prime.

by Anonymousreply 134August 18, 2018 12:32 AM

Agree with all the comments on Midsomer Murders. The best episodes are the ones that Brian True May directed, with Renny Rye a closed second.

May is the one who got in trouble for lack of diversity. Sadly, he’s no longer involved.

The first ten seasons are the best.

by Anonymousreply 135August 18, 2018 12:42 AM

I just finished the new "Ordeal by Innocence" and now I'm going to re-watch the Marple version from a while back (it's on Hulu.) If I recall correctly, they're very different, especially with respect to the Gwenda character and the fact that Marple is not even in the original book or the new adaptation.

by Anonymousreply 136August 18, 2018 12:58 AM

Lesbian here.

I desperately want to take apart that thing at R124 with a screwdriver and see what's inside.

by Anonymousreply 137August 18, 2018 2:09 AM

Just finished "Ordeal by Innocence." Not a completely satisfying ending.

by Anonymousreply 138August 18, 2018 4:20 AM

A touch of Frost : gritty and humane

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139August 18, 2018 11:16 AM

[quote]I stopped watching hinterland after the second episode

I've worked with the main actor in that series, Richard. He's a very nice man. The series is Welsh, however, made by the dreadful Welsh TV channel known as S4C. Its dreariness is an obvious attempt to replicate the very popular 'Scandi Noir' procedurals, such as The Bridge and The Killing. He was good also in the BBC adaptation of Dickens' Bleak House, which also boasts a stunning turn by Gillian Anderson.

by Anonymousreply 140August 18, 2018 11:43 AM

I am cursing you bitches as this thread got me to fire up the first ever season of Prime Suspect on Netflix. Now I can't stop watching it. Takes me back to living in a small dump in NW London in a bitter winter in the early 90s. Me and my friends would huddle around the little television set with an aerial sticking out the top to watch it. In between going to Heaven and being fabulous club gays, you know.

by Anonymousreply 141August 18, 2018 11:46 AM

R140, funny, I like Hinterland. I have no trouble with the accents at all.

by Anonymousreply 142August 18, 2018 11:47 AM

Like R142, I have no problem with Scottish or Welsh accents. On the other hand, if I watch a show with Mancunian characters, I have to turn on close captioning in order to get everything.

by Anonymousreply 143August 18, 2018 11:50 AM

I hope the film of The Little Stranger does justice to the book, which is a creepy and mysterious page turner.

by Anonymousreply 144August 18, 2018 12:11 PM

The Little Stranger is top notch, du Maurier meets Christie

by Anonymousreply 145August 18, 2018 12:26 PM

The Brits look things in the face and talk about them.

In the Morse universe, the corruption caused by Masons is acknowledged whereas none of our crime shows discuss how priests get away with molesting kids because the police force and DAs offices in many of our cities are solidly Catholic.

by Anonymousreply 146August 18, 2018 12:27 PM

DL fave Charlotte Rampling!!

by Anonymousreply 147August 18, 2018 12:28 PM

[quote]none of our crime shows discuss how priests get away with molesting kids because the police force and DAs offices in many of our cities are solidly Catholic.

I saw this link addressed in the Netflix docuseries, The Keepers

by Anonymousreply 148August 18, 2018 12:29 PM

[quote]I once saw Anton Lesser in 3 different crime shows playing 3 different characters in one week on my PBS station.

That guy will always have work. He's outstanding as Thomas More in Wolf Hall if you've not caught that.

by Anonymousreply 149August 18, 2018 12:31 PM

It is indeed R145. The scene where the mother is locked in the old nursery is very eerie. And it's always nice to see Ms Rampling in something.

Back to the more traditional British mysteries, I thought the relatively recent adaptation of And Then There Were None was very good.

by Anonymousreply 150August 18, 2018 12:33 PM

Yes I must catch that R150. Good old Charlie Dance has perfected that upper-crust persona. He's actually from a rough, working-class background.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151August 18, 2018 12:38 PM

Charles Dance, first saw him in Jewel in the Crown and everybody loved him in that role. Since then he's only played characters who were utter shits.

by Anonymousreply 152August 18, 2018 12:58 PM

I loved The Missing on Starz. Julien Baptiste is one great detective character. Very suspenseful with good endings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153August 18, 2018 1:15 PM

Yes, I forgot to add "The Missing" to my list. Two UK crime mini-series that I really enjoyed were "Thirteen" and "Retribution" (in the UK, it was named "One Of Us"), both available on Netflix. "Thirteen" is very reminiscent of S2 of "The Missing."

by Anonymousreply 154August 18, 2018 1:20 PM

Ooh, I loved Rosemary and Thyme.

Mostly for the scenery. Made me wish England looked like that all the time.

by Anonymousreply 155August 18, 2018 1:20 PM

I wish Endeavour wasn't so determined to march through the years. It's a ticking time bomb. It should've stayed in some fuzzy early 60s time period. Maybe the producers didn't think it would be so successful but now, for the next season, they've had to jury rig an explanation for Thursday not retiring and somehow still working with Morse despite the latter's promotion plus moving to the new police station and losing Anton Lesser's character.

by Anonymousreply 156August 18, 2018 1:32 PM

R156, is that season available in the USA?

by Anonymousreply 157August 18, 2018 1:43 PM

No, r157. It's not even available in England yet, AFAIK. I don't even know if it's been shot yet.

by Anonymousreply 158August 18, 2018 1:45 PM

Midsummer Murders is more relaxing than Heroin. I also like Hetty Wainthrop Investigates.

by Anonymousreply 159August 18, 2018 1:51 PM

[quote]Midsomer Murders is more relaxing than Heroin.

While I have never relaxed to heroin, I can say I fell asleep during each of the first two episodes, so I switched to something else (which I also slept through).

by Anonymousreply 160August 18, 2018 1:54 PM

Midsummer Murders

Be the death of me

Midsummer Murders

It's my wife, and it's my life.

by Anonymousreply 161August 18, 2018 2:18 PM

Very few of them are any good. Most of them are dull, one note and repetitive.

by Anonymousreply 162August 18, 2018 4:17 PM

Wow. Just re-watched the Marple "Ordeal by Innocence" and boy, did they ever change things! The two versions are barely related, with the exception of the names of most of the characters. Some of the victims are different, as is the murderer. And LOTS of plot differences.

by Anonymousreply 163August 18, 2018 6:21 PM

There's also a movie version of "Ordeal" with DL fave Faye Dunaway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164August 18, 2018 6:22 PM

Agatha Raisin was like watching the Hallmark channel. Snoozer.

by Anonymousreply 165August 18, 2018 10:10 PM

I couldn’t sit through one episode of Agatha Raisin. Murder in Suburbia isn’t quite as bad, but it stinks.

It’s disconcerting that the OTT idiot top cop on Father Brown plays a serious cop on DCI Banks.

by Anonymousreply 166August 19, 2018 3:20 AM

I've watched several episodes of Shetland now. Sympathetic cast, wonderful accents but unfortunately formulaic. Two murders per episode. The biggest draw is the location. High cliffs, green turf, peat, grey stone buildings, lots of mist. So far everyone has worn a jacket/rain jacket so not sure if it ever gets warm enough to do without.

If Midsomer gets the murder capital of the world complaint then this show deserves it even more, especially considering how isolated it is. The small population means a lot of people are related or know each other. One episode was set on Fair Isle (it's a real place not just a type of sweater) which is even more isolated and has a population of between 55-75 people.

It's worth watching for the scenery and to wonder what it would be like to live in a place like that, halfway between Scotland and Norway.

by Anonymousreply 167August 19, 2018 1:13 PM

R167, as I recall, the mystery that spans the entire season turns out to be a tired old chestnut that has done better and completely in a one hour episode.

by Anonymousreply 168August 19, 2018 1:19 PM

One episode of Agatha Raisin was more than enough.

I found Murder in Suburbia watchable primarily because it costarred Caroline Katz from Doc Martin - and also because I thought the boss was attractive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169August 19, 2018 1:23 PM

I find them terribly grim and memsahibish!

by Anonymousreply 170August 19, 2018 2:48 PM

[quote]If Midsomer gets the murder capital of the world complaint then this show deserves it even more, especially considering how isolated it is.

Aren't we in the running?

by Anonymousreply 171August 19, 2018 4:42 PM

We all know Cabot Cove, Maine is the murder capital of the world

by Anonymousreply 172August 19, 2018 4:43 PM

[quote] Caroline Katz

It’s Caroline Catz

And her real name is Caroline Caplan.

I guess Jewish surnames get C instead of K in the UK

by Anonymousreply 173August 19, 2018 4:50 PM

Yes r171, very similar formula except Death in Paradise has the ol' Poirot trick of everyone sitting around while he recaps the plot and lists every suspect in turn.

Maybe do a police show in an exotic locale where the focus isn't just on murder.

by Anonymousreply 174August 19, 2018 7:33 PM

I believe most viewers watch these British murder mysteries more for the comfort viewing experience than the exitement of finding out who the murderer is. I think there is something very serene about someone being interviewed for a murder investigation while drinking tea in his or her back garden and then finding out that someone so cordial and restraint turned out to be a vicious serial killer (who killed people just to cover up either the first murder or just the previous murder, because you don't want to get that sort of bad rep on the countryside!).

by Anonymousreply 175August 19, 2018 7:45 PM

[quote]Death in Paradise has the ol' Poirot trick of everyone sitting around while he recaps the plot and lists every suspect in turn.

And none of them ever complain about having to sit out in the heat and listen to that longwinded gasbag go on and on.

by Anonymousreply 176August 20, 2018 2:07 PM

Right now watching Save Me with Lenny James and finding it very well done. I like kidnap thrillers.

by Anonymousreply 177August 20, 2018 2:09 PM

I've quite enjoyed some of the terrible fake American accents.

by Anonymousreply 178August 23, 2018 5:12 AM

I finished all 5 seasons of Scott & Bailey and loved it. Does anyone know why they stopped filming after episode 3 in season 5?

by Anonymousreply 179August 23, 2018 6:12 AM

[quote]I've quite enjoyed some of the terrible fake American accents.

With the men, they all seem to think that an American accent is really heavy. So they end up talking like someone from Brooklyn.

by Anonymousreply 180August 23, 2018 1:10 PM

Yes, funny - R180, especially in older shows like Tales Of The Unexpected - when fewer Brits had ever even been to America.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181August 23, 2018 1:16 PM

Also, British men play Americans with a lot of swagger. It's really funny to see. It's like they're using John Wayne as their acting template.

by Anonymousreply 182August 23, 2018 1:26 PM

I loved Tales of the Unexpected

by Anonymousreply 183August 23, 2018 3:14 PM

This isn't a mystery, but it has the worst "American" accent I've heard in a British production. It's about a photo archive that needs to be bought out to survive. I liked it. I just found the accent enjoyably awful. Very hard on Rs. I thought the actor might be trying for some urban accent I was unfamiliar with. Then the character announced he was from Virginia and I cracked up laughing.

by Anonymousreply 184August 23, 2018 5:16 PM

And I forgot the link to [italic]Shooting the Past[/italic].

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185August 23, 2018 5:17 PM

Loved Shooting the Past. The writer/diector Stephen Poliakoff has done some amazing series. The ones I've seen are well worth watching. They are never basic or boring.

by Anonymousreply 186August 23, 2018 6:09 PM

Vera fan here. Good plots. Blethyn is great and she always has her make sidekick with her. Not great to be a female detective: transfer, die, disappear without a trace (Shep)....

by Anonymousreply 187August 23, 2018 9:19 PM

I'm watching Poirot as I type. I find it relaxing and like good old company

by Anonymousreply 188September 23, 2018 11:07 AM

For the most part English tv shows are better than U.S. tv shows in recreating a bygone era. Also, they seem to have actors who look like real people and not wannabe movie stars.

by Anonymousreply 189September 23, 2018 11:55 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!