Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Overused Murder Mystery Tropes.

OK, I read/watch far too many murder mysteries, but I see the same devices used over and over. Of course, They often seem to use the same scripts over and over. The odd guy who lives in a trailer in the woods: everyone think he is a pedophile, but he is actually the biological father of the young boy who visits him, seems to be a favorite. Here are some of the most overused:

The murderer is the "good guy". If anyone is set up as the moral center of the story, he is most likely the murderer. This is particularly true if the story is set in a boarding school. The murderer is always the "good kid".

The murderer is someone who appears in the first five pages/minutes and does not reappear until the very end. The extreme is when the murderer is someone who does not appear at all until the very end, making everything that happened before a wild goose chase. This is particularly annoying in six-part British mystery series where the first five 40-minute segments have basically been a waste of time.

Most typical of books, if the author spends and entire chapter explaining why a person could not possibly be the murderer and cannot be considered a suspect, that person is the murderer.

If the investigative character has a minor relative who shows up out of the blue, that person is the murderer.

In a locked room mystery, the fatal act did not happen in the room. The person was already stabbed/shot/poisoned/ had massive internal bleeding before entering the room.

The first body is the murderer. He/she was fatally injured during the murder and died. Since he/she is the first body found, He/she is presumed to be a victim.

There are two completely unrelated murders.

It isn't an murder, but an accident. I will give writers a bit of slack if it isn't a murder, but a suicide, particularly if the suicide is intended to be mistaken for a murder.

The murderer is the investigating officer's superior or members of a club to which the superior belongs. This is particularly used in cases involving Masonic type organizations.

What are some others?

by Anonymousreply 44August 16, 2018 8:35 PM

It's never twins.

by Anonymousreply 1June 18, 2017 1:24 PM

good one R1

by Anonymousreply 2June 18, 2017 4:07 PM

OP is Lionel Twain.

by Anonymousreply 3June 18, 2017 4:47 PM

R3. Not Lionel Twain. Arthur Bryant.

by Anonymousreply 4June 18, 2017 5:09 PM

The cop was in a home for children and was abused. He is getting revenge by killing the abuser/s.

by Anonymousreply 5June 18, 2017 10:55 PM

Not quite what I originally meant, but if there is a male and female pair of Feds and police who have been at each other's throats, and a witness is killed because they screw up, the two of them have guilt sex.

by Anonymousreply 6June 18, 2017 11:03 PM

Some sort of switch-er-oo of poisoned drinks, two copies of the murder weapon, movie / stage props exchanged for real deadly murder weapons, etc.

by Anonymousreply 7June 18, 2017 11:04 PM

A peaceful enviroment SHAKEN to its core by a sudden death that turns out to be a murder. WTF is going on? The place is so peaceful and all of a sudden a murder??? Oh sure, scratch a bit on the surface and the place doesn't seem so peaceful anymore, but it all comes to blow because of some darn murder! It all could have been kept under the surface forever, but that darn murder brought it all to the surface.

by Anonymousreply 8June 18, 2017 11:08 PM

The murder triggers a repressed memory in the mind of the lead investigator, who becomes OBSESSED with the case.

by Anonymousreply 9June 18, 2017 11:08 PM

R9, that is an excellent one. I just saw it in not one, but two episodes of Jonathan Creek and Winter.

by Anonymousreply 10June 18, 2017 11:12 PM

A terminally ill handicapable sidekick is murdered while relaying an important clue!

by Anonymousreply 11June 19, 2017 1:37 AM

I just finished watching the Australian show Winter (note when I mentioned Winter at R10, I meant the pilot, The Killing Field.) Boy, is it ever a catalog of cliches:

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERSSPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERSSPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERSSPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERSSPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERSSPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERSSPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERSSPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERSSPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERSSPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

1. There are two unrelated murders

2. Murder 1- the "good girl" did it

3. Murder 2- the cop did it

4. The two lead detectives are brought up before a professional conduct committee by the bad cop trying to derail the case.

5. Vital information is leaked to the press through pillow talk.

6. The witness's best friend is killed because she is wearing the witnesses jacket.

7. Two bickering detectives, one fed/one local police, end up a romantic couple.

8. Two bickering detectives with a history decide they are better partners at work than as a romantic couple.

9. A press conference is staged to draw out the murderer

by Anonymousreply 12June 19, 2017 11:18 AM

The dead hooker always had a heart of gold.

by Anonymousreply 13June 19, 2017 11:53 AM

Well, R13, you can add that to my list of cliches in Winter because the best friend of the witness was a hooker.

I also forgot, the witness has amnesia due to an accident and cannot remember important details that will solve the murder.

by Anonymousreply 14June 19, 2017 11:56 AM

The murderer is the protagonist's (cop, detective, doctor, etc) best friend or favorite relative.

by Anonymousreply 15June 26, 2017 12:50 PM

Patsy Ramsey did it!

by Anonymousreply 16June 26, 2017 12:56 PM

I was reading Tara French's books but for each book I could guess who done it within the first couple of chapters. Then it took another 300 pages to be proven right.

Jussi Adler-Olsen has a very good mystery series called Dept. Q and his twists and writing are very original. I really liked his book The Marco Effect. I saw him speak at book festival and he was so funny and engaging and said he does not read any books in his genre for fear of copying someone unconsciously. He mentioned that his favorite author is John Steinbeck.

IMO, The best mystery series is the 10 book Martin Beck series which interweaves social commentary into the police procedural and also Detective Maigret by Georges Simenon has interesting mysteries/stories. There are loads of others such as Jo Nesbo and Arnaldur Indirasson, Henning Mankell that go a non obvious/original route to mystery and thriller writing. Yes, I am partial to the Scandinavian mystery/thriller writers.

by Anonymousreply 17June 26, 2017 1:01 PM

The cop's spouse did it

by Anonymousreply 18June 26, 2017 1:01 PM

The blind/disabled/wheelchair person who isn't as disabled as they appear.

by Anonymousreply 19June 26, 2017 1:11 PM

The murderer slips up and tells the cop something only the murderer would know. The cop says "Aha! I never said the victim was strangled"

by Anonymousreply 20June 26, 2017 1:16 PM

At least on television, we often see the murder take place at the beginning and then the entire show is about how the murderer is caught by the clever detective. (e.g. Columbo)

by Anonymousreply 21June 26, 2017 1:18 PM

The murderer is wreaking a long-delayed revenge for some crime, slight, or other act done to him or her, or to a family members, years ago.

by Anonymousreply 22June 26, 2017 1:24 PM

Decades-old material (photos, letters, a diary, other documents) has conveniently been preserved and only now pops up to suggest the solution to the crime.

by Anonymousreply 23June 26, 2017 1:26 PM

"Slut" or "town bike" character

by Anonymousreply 24June 26, 2017 1:42 PM

Disgruntled politician or dirty cop working for the other side.

by Anonymousreply 25June 26, 2017 3:35 PM

The wise old black man. Groundskeeper. Or janitor etc.

by Anonymousreply 26June 26, 2017 4:11 PM

Just saw the cliches cited at r22 and r23 on a episode of Endeavour

by Anonymousreply 27July 19, 2017 12:38 AM

Yes, R26. There's always a kind, wise, mysterious and lowly Black guy or gal. He or she know secrets, voodoo, witchcraft, and such. Like a Whoopie Goldberg in Ghost.

by Anonymousreply 28July 19, 2017 12:47 AM

The first dead person did not actually die and has instead murdered the other subsequent victims.

by Anonymousreply 29July 19, 2017 12:49 AM

I like when the Cops think they are being clever, when they aren't.

Detective: "...I didn't say 'murder', how did you know there was a murder?"

Suspect: "You said you were with the homicide department"

by Anonymousreply 30July 19, 2017 12:52 AM

Two murders that seem unrelated uncover a massive crime ring/family that the hero must investigate. The killer(s) fall in lust with the hot female medical examiner investigating and almost kill her but she always recovers. And she is a HOT 50 something.

by Anonymousreply 31July 19, 2017 12:55 AM

The murderer kills one or two extra people to distract the cops from looking at the relatives of the murderer's target victim.

A witness dies right before he/she was going to reveal the murderer's name.

by Anonymousreply 32July 19, 2017 12:58 AM

Here's one you might encounter in Midsomer Murder: the patriarch/matriarch of a upper crust family dies (under mysterious circumstances) and has left a will.

A few options here:

1. There were two or more wills written, possibly to separate individuals who'll all receive a 100% share of the estate.

2. The will has been stolen, and the legitimacy of the testator's progeny is unknown. He could have had children out of wedlock or the wife's been a broodmare to keep up the family's bloodline (the husband is impotent). The later was the backbone of a nutty episode with Joss Ackland and Siân Phillips (Peter O'Toole's first wife).

by Anonymousreply 33July 19, 2017 12:59 AM

*Midsomer Murders

by Anonymousreply 34July 19, 2017 12:59 AM

R17, I agree about Tana French's books. I always figure out who did it long before the reveal. It's too bad because I actually do like her writing.

Another one I often see is a mystery-within-a-mystery/red-herring storyline. It's usually something like a secret that is being hidden, like someone is into kinky sex or there is an affair, but it is actually unrelated to the murder. There are always lies tied up in this red-herring which confuses the detective. When the detective finally figures the side mystery out and realizes it was unrelated, he then shifts his focus to the right clues and catches the killer.

by Anonymousreply 35July 19, 2017 1:02 AM

The detective, in the grand reveal scene, goes after the most likely suspect, in a ploy that is later revealed as intended to lull the real murderer. Once suitably lulled, the real murderer gets terribly flustered when the big guns are turned on him, at which point he makes the critical mistake that shows him to be the real murderer.

by Anonymousreply 36July 19, 2017 1:10 AM

It was a cop who did it!

by Anonymousreply 37July 19, 2017 3:32 PM

THe suicide note is not a suicide note but a fragment of another note written years before with a different meaning.

by Anonymousreply 38July 19, 2017 4:49 PM

R35's example stands out for me.

by Anonymousreply 39July 19, 2017 5:51 PM

Almost every murder mystery on French TV since 1991:

- the murder is linked to something happened 20 years ago;

- leading character comes back to town and trigs something that put the murderer into action;

- a local legend from centuries ago seems linked to the murder. But in the end it has nothing to do with it, it was just a plot device to waste half an episode;

- cop and leading character have sex.

by Anonymousreply 40August 15, 2017 7:23 PM

r40, that sounds like a lot of shitty American tv, too

by Anonymousreply 41August 16, 2017 12:44 AM

Heh...

by Anonymousreply 42August 16, 2018 2:17 PM

Everywhere I go people get killed? Does that count?

by Anonymousreply 43August 16, 2018 3:57 PM

In books, the young hets in love and the put-upon older spinster never did it.

The readers wouldn't like that.

by Anonymousreply 44August 16, 2018 8:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!