Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Just what was Granny and Jed Clampett's relationship?

Was she his actual grandmother? Just how were they "kin"?

by Anonymousreply 169October 20, 2019 3:02 PM

Jed's mother-in-law and Elly May's maternal Grandmother.

by Anonymousreply 1July 28, 2018 2:53 PM

No, Granny was Jed's mother in law. Granny was Jed's daughter Ellie Mae's grandmother

by Anonymousreply 2July 28, 2018 2:54 PM

Damn, Jethro was hot! I loved those scenes of him in a bathing suit by the "cement pond".

by Anonymousreply 3July 28, 2018 2:55 PM

I bet Jethro would have been a very willing bottom! And he'd like it too!

by Anonymousreply 4July 28, 2018 2:55 PM

Whose sister was Cousin/Aunt Pearl?

by Anonymousreply 5July 28, 2018 3:15 PM

R3 Back home at the ponds in the hills, there would have been no need for swimming trunks.

by Anonymousreply 6July 28, 2018 3:20 PM

Jethro also played his "sister", the first Trans on TV, and he gets no credit for his forward thinking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 28, 2018 3:22 PM

I always assumed Pearl was Jed's sister and Jethro his nephew. So Jethro (and Jethrine) was not related by blood with Granny. But you never know with the hill folk and their family relationships.

by Anonymousreply 8July 28, 2018 3:26 PM

I thought Jethro was his nephew. HIs mother (Jed's sister-in-law, and aunt Pearle to Ellie) would visit and was thought to be the most sophisticated family member as she spoke French - even though she actually only knew 1 or 2 words. Elliemay was his daughter and Granny his mother-in-law. Pearle who also appeared on Petticoat Junction was also the sister of Kate and the girls and Elliemay and Jethro were all cousins. I thought she was the sister Kate left the show on to go and care for. IDK I was always looking at Jethro's crotch and on Petticoat dreaming about taking Betty-Joe's place to marry Steve and live in the little cabin in the woods.

by Anonymousreply 9July 28, 2018 3:29 PM

They were LOVERS!

by Anonymousreply 10July 28, 2018 3:29 PM

It was a funny show.

by Anonymousreply 11July 28, 2018 4:29 PM

She died on stage, y’know.

by Anonymousreply 12July 28, 2018 4:43 PM

About fifteen or twenty years ago, I discovered a fan site/email site of Lori Saunders, Bobby Jo from Petticoat. Saunders is a lovely woman, and I'm still on her newsletter listing. Years ago I asked her about Bea Benadaret, hoping to get many stories. All I got was, "she was such a lovely, dear woman."

by Anonymousreply 13July 28, 2018 4:49 PM

R13 I think Bea was also the voice of Betty Rubble? Loved her, it was never the same without her, however, I did love June Lockhart as Dr Janet Craig.

by Anonymousreply 14July 28, 2018 6:18 PM

Bea was also Gracie's best friend Blanche on the "Burns and Allen Show". Bea had a fabulous laugh, especially in evidence when laughing at Gracie's zany antics.

I saw Mike Minor (Steve) on "Petticoat Junction" about 10-15 years ago off-Broadway in that long-running mystery (and the the main mystery is why it is long running)."Perfect Crime". He was very good, show isn't. I heard he died a few years ago. He was dreamy as Steve on "Petticoat Junction". I remember all Betty Joe wanted to do to entertain herself was to watch him shave one episode. I'd have been happy to watch as well!

I wonder who did the voice of Jethrine on "Beverly Hillbillies"? The first two seasons are on Amazon Prime nowdays -- there were more seasons available, but they went away. Hopefully they come back soon. Ellie was Jed's daughter. Jethro was her cousin. Granny was married to Jed's late wife. Pearl was Jethro's mother, as well as Jethrine's. Maybe Pearl was Jed's late wife's sister? Still not sure of that one.

by Anonymousreply 15July 28, 2018 11:05 PM

[quote]Granny was married to Jed's late wife.

I'm pretty sure that was illegal in 1962, even in the Ozarks.

by Anonymousreply 16July 29, 2018 12:10 AM

Yes! Pearl was Jed's sister-in-law, not his sister. Jethro was her son. So Granny was indeed Jethro's grandma.

by Anonymousreply 17July 29, 2018 12:17 AM

Let me tell you about fucked up family relationships.

by Anonymousreply 18July 29, 2018 12:20 AM

Granny was the mother of Jed's late wife, to clear that up.

by Anonymousreply 19July 29, 2018 1:04 AM

Granny was a fighter as witnessed in this...at the 7:45 mark

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 29, 2018 1:17 AM

Linda Henning daughter of producer was voice of Jethrine . Notice how Steve was Billie Joe's beau and then all of a sudden he was in love with Betty Jo played by the daughter of the producer.

What I thought was strange the entire castoff Beverly Hillbillies made no salary demands . They were happy with what they got so I read.....

by Anonymousreply 21July 29, 2018 1:20 AM

y’ain’t s’posed ta marry yer cuzzin... jus’ practice!

by Anonymousreply 22July 29, 2018 1:21 AM

Cousin Pearl/Kate Bradley (Bea Benadaret) was the original choice to play Ethel Mertz on I Love Lucy. Before contracts could be signed, Desi Arnaz caught Vivian Vance in some off-Broadway show, and offered her the part. Lucy was not happy, but later on saw how well it worked out.

The original choice for Fred Mertz was Gale Gordon.

by Anonymousreply 23July 29, 2018 1:27 AM

Old story but Bea was the original choice for Ethel Mertz but was doing Burns and Allen. Bea was on ILL as spinster Miss Lewis. I love Bea but can't imagine anyone but Viv as Ethel.

by Anonymousreply 24July 29, 2018 1:28 AM

And Vivian Vance was not appearing off-Broadway when Desi discovered her, but in a revival of The Voice of the Turtle at the La Jolla Playhouse, just a short drive south from Hollywood. Desi was apparently so impressed with Viv that he rushed to her dressing room wit the offer at intermission.

by Anonymousreply 25July 29, 2018 2:08 AM

Hollywood is definitely "off-Broadway", R25. 2500 miles away.

by Anonymousreply 26July 29, 2018 2:33 AM

Jethro and Jethrine paved the way for Steve Urkel and Myrtle Urkel.

by Anonymousreply 27July 29, 2018 2:41 AM

[quote]Old story but Bea was the original choice for Ethel Mertz but was doing Burns and Allen. Bea was on ILL as spinster Miss Lewis. I love Bea but can't imagine anyone but Viv as Ethel.

Bea was the original choice for Granny until Irene Ryan showed up. Irene Ryan, an old vaudevillian, originated the role of Bertha in PIPPIN.

Listen to this bootleg of her singing No Time At All.. The applause afterwards lasts at least a full minute.

Legend has it she suffered a stroke after sing this song, one night, went home to CAm and died a month later.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28July 29, 2018 2:50 AM

Granny's maiden name was Moses.

by Anonymousreply 29July 29, 2018 3:01 AM

...and her first name was Daisy.

by Anonymousreply 30July 29, 2018 3:03 AM

Bea and Gale played the Ethel and Fred counterparts (Iris and Rudolph Atterbury) on "My Favorite Husband," Lucille's radio show that was the precursor to "I Love Lucy." Many of the "ILL" plots were direct copies from "MFH."

by Anonymousreply 31July 29, 2018 4:05 AM

The bitch fights between Pearl and Granny were hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 32July 29, 2018 4:26 AM

Bea Benaderet was a prolific radio actress. Back then you could easily be a regular on two or three radio shows a week. The creator "the Beverly Hillbillies," Paul Henning wrote for "Burn and Allen." Henning wanted to put Bea into a starring role. He had an idea for a show called "Granby's Green Acres." This later became "Green Acres" in the mid 60s. It starred Bea Benaderet and Gale Gordon. It did not have radio success.

Bea and Gale became regulars on "My Favourite Husband," the second year in radio. They had appeared in various roles the first year and became regulars when the series was retooled to make Liz and George more middle class. "My Favorite Husband," was turned into "I Love Lucy." Most of the "My Favorite Husband" scripts were used line for line in "I Love Lucy" at one point or another.

Bea was also a regular on the hit "Burns and Allen" radio which was going to TV soon. Bea was never a serious contender for Ethel, because she was never going to leave the highly successful "Burns and Allen" for and unproven TV show. Gale Gordon also was on "Our Miss Brooks" (radio) and was not going to leave it for "I Love Lucy," as that show would be transitioning too.

Early TV didn't pay any more, the shows failed quickly and you could be on two or three radio shows at the same time. So economically it didn't make sense.

So while, Gale and Bea were first in line for Fred and Ethel, they were never seriously considered as taking the parts.

Henning continued to like Bea's work and wanted to put her in a TV series "the Beverly Hillbillies." Henning wanted Bea for Granny but he was the one who wouldn't cast her as he said "Granny is a tiny woman with tiny features and didn't weigh seven pounds soaking wet. So he continued to look for a "Granny" with Bea in the back of his mind.

Once Irene Ryan was cast, Henning then wrote the part of Pearl into the show. Pearl was never supposed to be a character. He wrote her in specifically to give Bea a part. When the show took off, Paul Henning was offered a chance to create a second show, and he used that for Bea's starring vehicle.

When "Petticoat Junction" became a hit, he was offered a chance to give CBS a third show and he chose to revive the "Granby's Green Acres" radio show for TV, and put Eddie Albert in the lead.

by Anonymousreply 33July 29, 2018 5:43 AM

As for the Clampett relationships, there was an episode where Jed explained it.

Granny was Jed's mother-in-law. The creator Paul Henning had Granny as Jed's mother, but he quickly realized that in order for the show to work, Jed had to be the sensible one and the undisputed leader of the "clan." So Henning made Granny Jed's mother-in -law.

Granny's last name was Moses. It was often brought up in fights between Pearl and Granny, and Pearl would brag she had Clampett blood in them while Granny was just a "mother-in-law."

Jed married Rose Ellen Moses, who was Granny's daughter and Elly Mae's mother. Jed's father was named Luke and Jed's father had a wife named Myrtle.

Pearl is Jed's first cousin, Jed states this. So we can assume Myrtle was probably Pearl's mother, because Luke had no other siblings mentioned.

Jed states that "by rights" Jethro is his first cousin once removed and Elly Mae and Jethro are second cousins, but Jethro calls him uncle. Granny states she is "Granny to them all." Which is reflected that even Miss Jane, Mr and Mr Drysdale and most everyone else calls her Granny. A few like Margaret Drysdale's father call Granny by her proper name Daisy.

And there is the great episode where it is learned when Margaret Drysdale's family was leaving for America, Jed's family was waiting for them in Jamestown.

by Anonymousreply 34July 29, 2018 5:53 AM

[quote]...married Rose Ellen Moses, who was Granny's daughter and Elly Mae's mother. Jed's father was named Luke and Jed's father had a wife named Myrtle.

Whoops made an error. It should be Luke (Jed's father) had a sister named Myrtle.

by Anonymousreply 35July 29, 2018 5:55 AM

And while we're at it, Milburn Drysdale's distant kin were "Botkins" from Tennessee, and the Botkins and the Moses Family (Granny's family) had a feud in the hills if Tennessee.

While Granny's kin come from Tennessee, Jed's location is further west in the Ozarks, somewhere in the Missouri, Arkansas, Oklahoma triangle. In one episode Granny states she is from "across the river," which I assume is the Mississippi and she states she and Daniel Boone are from the same county in Tennessee. (The episode guest starring Pat Boone). Boone actually spent a lot of time in Tennessee and in real life Daniel Boone spent his last years in Missouri.

Margaret Drysdale's family has the society name but no money (though one episode contradicts this). Margaret states to her son Sonny, that she is sorry she had to marry a common ordinary banker, but she wanted to give him all the nice things he deserved.

Margaret's father was Lowell Redlings Farquhar, who romanced Granny only to get her money. Sonny who was a 40 year old perpetual college student (brilliantly played by Louis Nye), was Milburn's step-son who romanced Elly as a challenge, to bring culture to her and because she was pretty, without the intention of every marrying her which caused issues between the two families.

by Anonymousreply 36July 29, 2018 6:09 AM
by Anonymousreply 37July 29, 2018 6:38 AM

If you defend Trump you get labeled a troll?

by Anonymousreply 38July 29, 2018 6:38 AM

R21, they probably shifted the love interest to Henning because she and Minor fell in love in real life. They were married for five years from 1968-1973. Minor was also the son of a producer - Don Fedderson, who was responsible for My Three Sons.

It's interesting to note both she and Minor tried to distance themselves from the nepotimistic aspects of their careers. Henning dropped her last name in the early episodes of PJ as she was known early on as simply " Linda Kaye" and Mike Minor took his mother's maiden name as his stage name.

by Anonymousreply 39July 29, 2018 7:49 AM

Paul Henning grew up in Missouri and went to summer camp in the Ozarks where he encountered the local people. When he later went to Hollywood as a writer he kept thinking about what those people would have thought about Los Angeles, and that gave him the idea for Beverly Hillbillies.

by Anonymousreply 40July 29, 2018 11:34 AM

So R36 is red-labeled a "Troll" for posting about Granny? These troll monikers are getting ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 41July 29, 2018 11:58 AM

R41 I think they are a troll from prior offenses and got a permanent label.

by Anonymousreply 42July 29, 2018 12:15 PM

I think Granny and Jed were incestuous.

by Anonymousreply 43July 29, 2018 12:18 PM

r43 The VERY idea????? Go cut me a switch!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 44July 29, 2018 12:27 PM

I suppose you saw the linked thread, R13? A poster related how his lesbian pulp writing mother was in a relationship with Bea Benaderet. He or she posts at R 81, R 85, R120 and R 123.

by Anonymousreply 45July 29, 2018 2:50 PM

Oops, forgot to link the thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46July 29, 2018 2:51 PM

Why didn't they just make Ellie May and Jethro brother and sister?

by Anonymousreply 47July 29, 2018 3:08 PM

More sexual tension as kissing cousins, r47.

by Anonymousreply 48July 29, 2018 3:11 PM

But they never even hinted at anything like that between those two on the show.

by Anonymousreply 49July 29, 2018 3:14 PM

Was anyone else in love with Max Baer Jr. only to learn that Max Sr. was a world famous boxing champ and then severely disappointed to find a photo of Daddy who was not all that in the looks department??

by Anonymousreply 50July 29, 2018 3:14 PM

Max Baer Sr was very famous, R50, most everyone knew he was the boxer's son. I would say he was tough looking, not "ugly".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51July 29, 2018 3:20 PM

Jed and Granny were an old married couple.

by Anonymousreply 52July 29, 2018 3:26 PM

Wow!! I guess I didn't do enough research as a kid or maybe the photos of "Slapsie Maxie" I found were of him as an older man because he looks mighty fine at r51's link!

by Anonymousreply 53July 29, 2018 3:33 PM

Jed looked right handsome when he got cleaned up in his Sunday go-to-meeting clothes.

by Anonymousreply 54July 29, 2018 4:37 PM

Cousin Bessie was their LOVE CHILD!!

by Anonymousreply 55July 29, 2018 4:39 PM

r53 The photos you undoubtedly located were of a boxer/actor named Slapsie Maxie ROSENBLOOM, not related at all to the Baers, Sr. or Jr.

by Anonymousreply 56July 29, 2018 4:48 PM

[quote] If you defend Trump you get labeled a troll?

Defending Trump (as if that were even possible) is the very definition of trolling.

by Anonymousreply 57July 29, 2018 4:50 PM

Jethro's dad.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58July 29, 2018 4:55 PM

He looks....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59July 29, 2018 4:58 PM

But how was Cousin Pearl related to Kate Bradley over at the Shady Rest Hotel?

by Anonymousreply 60July 29, 2018 5:01 PM

They're cousins, identical cousins......

by Anonymousreply 61July 29, 2018 5:06 PM

Beefcake Jethro....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62July 29, 2018 5:06 PM

Max Jr. was quite handsome when he wasn’t pulling goofy Jethro faces.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63July 29, 2018 5:14 PM

Did Mike Minor play the same character on both shows?

by Anonymousreply 64July 29, 2018 5:14 PM

[quote] And there is the great episode where it is learned when Margaret Drysdale's family was leaving for America, Jed's family was waiting for them in Jamestown.

And to rub salt into Mrs Dryesdale's wound, Jed's ancestor was the FIRST Englishman to step ashore at Jamestown. Making the Clampett's the ULTIMATE American bluebloods.

by Anonymousreply 65July 29, 2018 5:44 PM

But people like the Clampetts weren't usually English, but Scots-Irish.

by Anonymousreply 66July 29, 2018 5:49 PM

[quote]And there is the great episode where it is learned when Margaret Drysdale's family was leaving for America, Jed's family was waiting for them in Jamestown.

[quote]And to rub salt into Mrs Dryesdale's wound, Jed's ancestor was the FIRST Englishman to step ashore at Jamestown. Making the Clampett's the ULTIMATE American bluebloods.

[quote]But people like the Clampetts weren't usually English, but Scots-Irish.

Whatever. In that episode, Jed lies (yes, Jed lied!) because he knew that being descended from the first person to set foot on America from the UK meant more to Mrs Drysdale than it did to him. Point being, he was more of a "blue-blooded American" than she was. He lied to let her believe that. She was a great character actress, whoever plated her.

by Anonymousreply 67July 29, 2018 6:05 PM

Or played her, rather.

I looked it up. Mrs Drysdale was played by Harriet E. MacGibbon. Nancy Kulp, who played the Jethro-crazy secretary of Mr Drysdale, Jane Hathaway, was one of the first obvious tv lesbians. Also, Sharon Tate was a regular.

by Anonymousreply 68July 29, 2018 6:10 PM

Not "Whatever", R67. The Scots-Irish didn't come to the US until 100 years after the Mayflower. They settled up in the hills because the rest of the country was already too crowded and expensive. So they really took liberties with that episode. Strange because it was usually spot-on about the subtleties of Hillbilly culture.

by Anonymousreply 69July 29, 2018 6:29 PM

You're forgetting that people intermarried, and there was plenty of descendants of the original settlers whose social status declined over generations.

by Anonymousreply 70July 29, 2018 7:17 PM

But do you all find it ironic that Nancy Kulp was always cast as the ultimate foaming-at-the-mouth man-hungry spinster? She originally worked with Hillbillies producer Paul Henning in the 1950s on his series Love That Bob! as bird-watcher Pamela Livingstone, panting after sexy Bob Cummings.

Were lesbians just not on America's radar back then?

by Anonymousreply 71July 29, 2018 9:10 PM

Irene Ryan did not die on stage. She suffered a stroke during a performance of Pippin, and later died a month later in hospital of a brain tumor.

by Anonymousreply 72July 29, 2018 9:47 PM

Irene Ryan and Bob Crane do Password:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73July 29, 2018 9:51 PM

Paul Henning discusses the casting of Beverly Hillbillies ... Bea wanted the role of Granny, but Henning thought she wasn't physically suited for the role:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74July 29, 2018 9:56 PM

In R73's Password clip, why is Donna Douglas playing as a regular contestant and not as a guest star?

Also interesting that Irene's voice in real life is the same Granny voice.

by Anonymousreply 75July 29, 2018 10:08 PM

Irene’s hair on Password is positively vivacious.

by Anonymousreply 76July 29, 2018 10:35 PM

Does anyone know anything about the famous acting scholarship created by Irene Ryan (or possibly bequeathed in her will) in her name? I've always heard of it but know none of the details.

by Anonymousreply 77July 29, 2018 11:40 PM

Always liked it when granny threatened to spank Jethro with a hickory switch. On one or two episodes she actually does smack him around a little, once she whacked him on his nice ample behind with a frying pan. Max Baer, Jr. was gorgeous then and always way better looking than his father.

by Anonymousreply 78July 29, 2018 11:57 PM

I have read that Granny was immensely popular with black kids watching "The Beverly Hillbillies"--does anyone know the reason why?

by Anonymousreply 79July 29, 2018 11:59 PM

Max Baer said he disliked playing the role of Jethro, but it brought in a reasonable salary. He also said Nancy Kulp, a liberal, and Buddy Ebsen, an arch conservative, would sometimes have heated arguments on the set. Max Baer is the only surviving cast member of the regular stars on the show and is in his early 80s. He tried to start a Beverly Hillbillies themed casino and/or theme park in Reno but apparently it never got off the ground.

by Anonymousreply 80July 30, 2018 12:20 AM

I just watched an episode Jed called Pearl his cousin.

by Anonymousreply 81July 30, 2018 12:30 AM

As a huge Max Baer fan in my gayling youth, I was always disappointed that he never had much of a career after Hillbillies. But I was also under the impression that he was too rich and unambitious to care. I don't remember him ever appearing on a variety hour, celebrity quiz show or even a talk show at the height of his fame.

While he was never considered a serious actor, he did seem to have a penchant for comedy. It's too bad he was never in another sitcom.

by Anonymousreply 82July 30, 2018 12:51 AM

[quote]Irene Ryan did not die on stage. She suffered a stroke during a performance of Pippin, and later died a month later in hospital of a brain tumor.

Did anyone here say otherwise, r72?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83July 30, 2018 1:10 AM

[quote] While he was never considered a serious actor,

I recall ONE movie where he played a kill-crazy Confederate soldier under the command of rebel officer George Hamilton. It was still big dumb Jethro, just as a psychotic.

Looking at his IMDB page he only has 22 acting credits. Irretrievably typecast I suppose.

He did produce several films, including Ode to Billy Joe.

by Anonymousreply 84July 30, 2018 1:18 AM

Wasn't there a Max Baer jr jr ?

by Anonymousreply 85July 30, 2018 1:31 AM

Granny was Jed’s Mother In Law. Granny’s daughter was named Rose Ellen. Pearl was Jed’s first cousin.

by Anonymousreply 86July 30, 2018 1:34 AM

Max Baer also hit paydirt with Macon County Line and the movie version of Ode to Billie Joe.

by Anonymousreply 87July 30, 2018 1:39 AM

A wonderful Irene Ryan story!

My mother used to be the P.A. for Nancy Kulp back in the day when good ol Nance had the dough for a P.A. (post Parent Trap).

Anyway, Nance had just gone through a very rigorous audition process in order to get the role of Ms. Jane Hathaway, on what would become the landmark television series "The Beverly Hillbilly's". She was assigned a dressing room with an actress she had never heard of named one Ms. Irene Ryan. Well, Nance and Irene got along famously from the get go, though, apparently, Nance was apprehensive about letting Irene know about her diggin the ladies, seeing as how Irene was 86 at the time, Nance suspected she might not take to kindly to having a lady co-star who liked to shave other gals Hams.

Well, how funny was it when after a long day of shooting, Irene packed up the castor oil and bag of hair that she always had with her and left the lot for the day. Nance thought that she had free reign of the trailer for the rest of the evening and invited a delightful Nubian extra named Puma into her trailer for some dinner and some hot finger fucking !!! Well no sooner had our girl Nance gotten up to her shoulder in Puma's Lady Ham than Irene walked in. Nance told my mom that she was caught "black handed" by dear Granny herself. Well, Nance was ashamed and had it not been for her damned collatta ring getting caught on some of Puma's internal lady skin she would have had her arm out of her in an instant.

Irene just looked at the two of them in their "compromising position" and chuckled. You could have knocked Nance over with a feather. Apparently, she was bright red so Irene soothed her fears and told her not to worry, she was totally cool with the fact that Nance liked to bump waffles and then proceeded to lift up her skirt and show her the tiniest pair of balls that Nance had ever seen (granted, Nance probably didn't see too many balls in her day, but still). Irene then explained that while she was all lady, she happened to have be en born with a pair of vestigial testicles right underneath her clitoris.

Ever since then, Irene and Nance remained bosum pals til Irene's death in 1974 and Nance never revealed her secret, except to a few close personal friends.

Now that is friendship!! !

by Anonymousreply 88July 30, 2018 1:46 AM

Pearl, Pearl, Pearl don’t give your love to Earl.

by Anonymousreply 89July 30, 2018 2:13 AM

Is it true that Pearl from BH and Kate from PJ were cousins? Did they ever appear together?

by Anonymousreply 90July 30, 2018 2:15 AM

I love the lovely musical motif for Ellie May, especially whenever she's playing or carrying her beloved critters.

by Anonymousreply 91July 30, 2018 2:15 AM

I love the episodes where the Clampetts go back to Bug Tussle and Silver Dollar City.

by Anonymousreply 92July 30, 2018 2:30 AM

Wow, Exceptionally vile, even by DL standards. F&F r88

DIAGF ASAP

by Anonymousreply 93July 30, 2018 5:59 AM

It's surprising that Granny's frequent promotion of child marriage hasn't been stripped from the episodes.

by Anonymousreply 94July 30, 2018 6:05 AM

The Ozarks are in Missouri, not Kentucky.

by Anonymousreply 95July 30, 2018 6:07 AM

[quote] It's surprising that Granny's frequent promotion of child marriage hasn't been stripped from the episodes.

I'm certain the SJWs can't wait to burn all the videos.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96July 30, 2018 6:13 AM

R88 blocked.

by Anonymousreply 97July 30, 2018 6:23 AM

The Trumps are today's equivalent to the Beverly Hillbillies, but without the charm and humor.

by Anonymousreply 98July 30, 2018 6:31 AM

r88 needs Granny's cure for alkyholism.

Jes' kiddin'

F&F r88. Fuckin' asshole. Not even funny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99July 30, 2018 7:33 AM

I stopped reading 88 when it said Ryan was in her late 80s . She was actually 60 in 62...

by Anonymousreply 100July 30, 2018 8:49 AM

[quote]I stopped reading 88 when it said Ryan was in her late 80s . She was actually 60 in 62...

I should have as well. Such a pointlessly nasty and unfunny post.

"Do you wanna walk or do you wanna limp". r88?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101July 30, 2018 9:22 AM

I'm not r88, but I've read variations of that story on DL for years, albeit with far fewer details than r88 offered.

by Anonymousreply 102July 30, 2018 9:37 AM

What a great picture at R96!

by Anonymousreply 103July 30, 2018 9:44 AM

R70 I'm not "forgetting" anything. No one went up into the mountains to marry dirt-poor hillbillies. Hence the inbreeding.

by Anonymousreply 104July 30, 2018 10:46 AM

Mrs. Drysdale - greatest snob in tv history. LOVED her.

by Anonymousreply 105July 30, 2018 11:06 AM

... and out from the bushes came Ellie May nude. Naked that is, not clothed. Well the first thing you know old Jed is over there, sucking on her titties and pullin pussy hairs.

by Anonymousreply 106July 30, 2018 11:09 AM

Does anyone remember the Bawdy Ballad of Jed Clampett?

Only one line I remember is this: " ... and up from his dick come a-bubblin' sperm."

by Anonymousreply 107July 30, 2018 11:35 AM

[quote]Granny states she is "Granny to them all." Which is reflected that even Miss Jane, Mr and Mr Drysdale and most everyone else calls her Granny.

When my brothers and I were young, it was decided that we needed an easier way to tell our grandmothers apart in conversation instead of calling each one "Grandma (last name)".

Our maternal grandmother was sweet, funny, and feisty, and so we decided to call her "Granny", in tribute to both Jed Clampett's mother-in-law and the batty Looney Tunes character who owns Tweety & Sylvester).

Fortunately, Granny loved the nickname, and that was her name to one and all after that.

by Anonymousreply 108July 30, 2018 11:49 AM

In the South, grandmothers typically have made up names coined by the oldest grandchild.

Southern DLers can attest.

by Anonymousreply 109July 30, 2018 12:09 PM

The casting of those characters was brilliant.

And at least during the first couple of seasons the acting was wonderful. They played it all very seriously... never for laughs. And that's what made it funny.

by Anonymousreply 110July 30, 2018 12:11 PM

I met Donna Douglas once in an airport. She was so incredibly nice and sweet. She was on her way to make an appearance at some kind of dog-related benefit. She was instantly recognizable, and still had big, poofy blonde hair. She was very pretty, even at 70ish at that time! (around 2000).

by Anonymousreply 111July 30, 2018 1:25 PM

She's great opposite Elvis in "Frankie and Johnny" as well.

by Anonymousreply 112July 30, 2018 3:00 PM

The show is brilliantly cast and it's very telling that Paul Henning didn't cast his brilliant friend Bea Benadaret as Granny when that would have been most expedient. He knew she wasn't right and cast a complete unknown who was.

by Anonymousreply 113July 30, 2018 5:52 PM

Has it really taken 114 posts before Raymond Bailey, the great character actor who played Mr. Drysdale is mentioned?

He was perfect playing the pompous fool and did it all in the perfect hair piece.

by Anonymousreply 114July 30, 2018 6:00 PM

She's his sister AND his daughter, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115July 30, 2018 6:07 PM

Irene Ryan wasn't an unknown. She had been in vaudeville and I've seen her in some old films as well.

by Anonymousreply 116July 30, 2018 6:12 PM

R116 She was an unknown. For the most part, the public was totally unaware of Irene Ryan or her other career.

You have to remember too: people in the early 1960s did not have access old movies the way we do. And you couldn't stop a TV broadcast and look up the name of some obscure character actor the way we can.

And vaudeville "stars" of Ryan's ilk were long forgotten.

I remember the impact that Irene Ryan had with that show.... and the curiosity of seeing her out of her Granny garb. She was new to the general public.

by Anonymousreply 117July 30, 2018 6:26 PM

Thanks, r117.

You beat me to the punch.

by Anonymousreply 118July 30, 2018 6:29 PM

In defense of R88, that post has been around here for years. I suggest the infestation of straight fraus either get a sense of humor or kindly leave as we don't care to hear how constantly appalled you are by standard DL humor.

by Anonymousreply 119July 30, 2018 6:50 PM

She was the happiest girl in town.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120July 30, 2018 6:55 PM

About 15 years ago a friend of mine attended a wedding at Lake Tahoe and later told me that Max Baer, Jr. was at the wedding and was friendly and nice to everyone.

by Anonymousreply 121July 30, 2018 10:48 PM

Yes, Donna Douglas was very sweet in real life. She also had the most realistic accent of the whole cast.

by Anonymousreply 122July 30, 2018 11:15 PM

Raymond Bailey was wonderful as Milburn Drysdale, but he had serious problems in real life. I don't think he was friendly off-camera with any of his castmates, and was suffering from depression. It's interesting how the character of Drysdale evolved (or devolved?) from a standard banker in the early episodes, to a caricature of a money-obsessed greedy taskmaster later on.

122 posts and no mention of the man Elly May should have married, the HOT Dash Riprock!

by Anonymousreply 123July 31, 2018 12:30 AM

Elly could have had Bolt Upright.

by Anonymousreply 124July 31, 2018 12:38 AM

No, THIS guy was the one she should have married.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125July 31, 2018 12:39 AM

Nancy was particularly unattractive on this Perry Mason episode....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126July 31, 2018 1:27 AM

Nancy had a sense of humor.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127July 31, 2018 1:29 AM

We never saw the bedrooms. Did Granny and Jed share a marriage bed?

by Anonymousreply 128July 31, 2018 1:38 AM

The snobs hated a show that illuminated their own pomposity.

The Beverly Hillbillies received poor reviews from some contemporary critics. The New York Times called the show "strained and unfunny"; Variety called it "painful to sit through". Film professor Janet Staiger writes that "the problem for these reviewers was that the show confronted the cultural elite's notions of quality entertainment." The show did receive a somewhat favorable review from noted critic Gilbert Seldes in the December 15, 1962 TV Guide: "The whole notion on which The Beverly Hillbillies is founded is an encouragement to ignorance... But it is funny. What can I do?"

However, the real Americans living outside Manhattan loved it. For the first two years, the sitcom averaged 57 million viewers per week, or about 30 percent of the country.

January 8, 1964, marked the most-watched half hour broadcast in American television history. That Wednesday evening, 65 percent of people with television sets were tuned into "The Giant Jackrabbit,"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129July 31, 2018 1:44 AM

Glam Nancy.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130July 31, 2018 2:00 AM

Always heard that Bea was the only Castmate that would make dyke comments about Nancy.

They did show Jed's room , it was filled With a brass bed and antiques from the hills.

The moment I entered this thread , I knew the DL standby of granny had balls story . (A DL mainstay ) would rear it's ugly head.

by Anonymousreply 131July 31, 2018 4:13 AM

Correct, they did show Jed's room and also Ellie May's and a guest bedroom a few times.

by Anonymousreply 132July 31, 2018 4:52 AM

[quote]We never saw the bedrooms. Did Granny and Jed share a marriage bed?

We saw Jed's bedroom when he faked having the misery ("Jed Gets the Misery") and we saw Granny's room when she was loading up the wheelbarrow with all of her stuff for her move back to the hills ("The Ballet").

by Anonymousreply 133July 31, 2018 5:11 AM

But did they ever show Jethro's bedroom?

by Anonymousreply 134July 31, 2018 1:45 PM

Fuck off R119. It's an ugly, stupid and unfunny story that reads like it was written by a straight male and takes up far too much space on the thread.

by Anonymousreply 135July 31, 2018 1:54 PM

What's "the misery"? I heard that mentioned on Andy Griffith recently.

by Anonymousreply 136July 31, 2018 1:56 PM

I think I have it figured out, Jed was married to Granny's daughter thus making Granny Jed's mother-in-law. Pearl, Jethro's mother, was married to Granny's son by some man named Bodine since that is Jethro's surname. Granny married someone named Moses after Bodine or went back to her maiden name. Jed is Jethro's uncle by marriage and Elly May and Jethro are first cousins. Someone upthread found the name of Elly May's mother/Jed's wife/Granny's daughter--maybe Granny's husbands, son and daughter all died in some plague. Granny came to live with Jed after her daughter died. If that doesn't figure it all out nothing will. I hope Max Baer will read this thread, maybe he can straighten it all out, even though he never much liked doing that show.

by Anonymousreply 137July 31, 2018 2:06 PM

The pilot of "The Hillbillies" (as it was originally called).

It is fucking laugh-out-loud hilarious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138July 31, 2018 2:11 PM

R137 No, no no. Jethro is Granny's grandson, not son. His mother was a daughter of Granny and a sister of Jed.

by Anonymousreply 139July 31, 2018 2:24 PM

Jethro's mother was Cousin Pearl Bodine, according to Wikipedia. Her husband (Bodine) was the deceased father of Jethro. Maybe that's why Jethro lived with the Clampetts.

by Anonymousreply 140July 31, 2018 2:27 PM

Except....didn't Mr Drysdale occasionally refer to Granny as Granny Clampett? How can she be a Clampett and still be Jed's MIL??

by Anonymousreply 141July 31, 2018 2:45 PM

In the Pilot, Mr Drysdale identifies Granny as Jed's mother (when he welcomes Jed to Beverly Hills).

Pearl sent her children to live with Jed and Granny for a better life.

by Anonymousreply 142July 31, 2018 2:54 PM

"Jerhro Bodine"... "Jed Clampett" ...could they have ever come up with better names? So perfect.

by Anonymousreply 143July 31, 2018 2:57 PM

*Jethro

by Anonymousreply 144July 31, 2018 2:57 PM

R143 Paul Henning came from MO and knew that world very well.

by Anonymousreply 145July 31, 2018 2:58 PM

Every episode of The Beverly Hillbillies is on Youtube, and I often watch a few in a row, laughing my ASS off. The 1960s guest stars are always a huge plus. I randomly saw one which had DL fave Kathleen Freeman and the ubiquitous Phil Silvers!

by Anonymousreply 146July 31, 2018 3:14 PM

It was known for its zaniness but it was actually pretty sophisticated humor to those in-the-know.

by Anonymousreply 147July 31, 2018 3:19 PM

R146, That episode is hilarious (if it Is the one I am thinking of) Were Kathleen Freeman & Phil Silvers pretending to speak Spanish?

by Anonymousreply 148July 31, 2018 3:27 PM

YES, r146! I believe they were con artists attempting to be mother and son! Insanity!

by Anonymousreply 149July 31, 2018 3:33 PM

That one is a scream! If you have the link, could you post it? I can’t find it.

by Anonymousreply 150July 31, 2018 3:36 PM

Found it! Iguana, iguana!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151July 31, 2018 3:42 PM

[quote]In the Pilot, Mr Drysdale identifies Granny as Jed's mother (when he welcomes Jed to Beverly Hills). Pearl sent her children to live with Jed and Granny for a better life.

Drysdale may have refered to Granny as Jed's mother, but he either spoke in error or they retconned it. Many, many episodes refer to Granny as Jed's MIL. Only Jethro was sent with Jed. Pearl's daughter, Jethrine (as others have said, hilariously played by Baer), she kept, and was always trying to marry her off.

by Anonymousreply 152July 31, 2018 4:37 PM

That's a young and handsome Robert Osborne as Drysdale's assistant in R138's clip.

by Anonymousreply 153July 31, 2018 5:04 PM

R152 While Drysdale does refer to Granny as Jed's mother in the pilot... I agree, their relationship was probably rewritten for the actual show. OR Drysdale simply assumed she was Jed's mother.

by Anonymousreply 154July 31, 2018 5:05 PM

So her name was Jethrine Bodine?

by Anonymousreply 155July 31, 2018 9:25 PM

[quote]So her name was Jethrine Bodine?

Yes. Tragic, really.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156July 31, 2018 9:43 PM

That clip not only shows Jethrine, but also verifies that Granny is Jed's mother in law, that Jed's wife's name was Rose Ellen (I believe someone has already mentioned it), and that Jed calls Pearl "Cousin Pearl". Guest star Louis Nye, Mr Drysdale's spoiled step son.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157July 31, 2018 9:55 PM

That's what I said r139--Granny apparently had 2 children, Rose Ellen, who married Jed and they had Elly May, and some son, at least a half sibling to Rose Ellen, with the surname Bodine who married cousin Pearl and they had Jethro and Jethrine. They were apparently more sophisticated as Pearl, once she found out about Jed's newfound wealth, criticized him in the pilot about living in a cabin without electricity or modern plumbing. Plus Jethro went clean through to the 6th grade and knew his ciphering and gazintas and he was the only one who knew how and was licensed to drive a motor vehicle. Pearl was probably a cousin of Jed's thus making him and Jethro cousins as well as uncle and nephew by marriage. Granny's son surnamed Bodine might have been a bad seed or a moonshiner in trouble with the law and just disappeared which made Granny more determined to be sterner with Jethro to make sure he didn't turn out like his father, her wayward son. None of that was mentioned in the series but it can be inferred if you think about it. I think more could have been done with the ideas about relationships, eg who Jethro's father was and maybe his appearance once he found out Jed was rich, etc. instead of scraping the bottom of the barrel at the end of the series where they go to England and find out they are royalty or something.

by Anonymousreply 158July 31, 2018 10:18 PM

" .. and up from his dick come abubble-in sperm!"

by Anonymousreply 159July 31, 2018 10:25 PM

Granny: Them red diamonds is pretty.

Jeweler: They're rubies.

Granny: Well, ask her if she wants to sell one.

Jeweler: The ruby I'm referring to is not a lady.

Granny: How she got them rings is her business!

----------------------

Beverly Caterers , Kathy Kersh, previously married to Burt Ward and Vince Edwards.

Jethro: Every day, after work, she picks me up, we drive up into the hills and park and watch the sun go down. And then you know what we do?

Jed: Elly May, go on in the house. (she does) Then what do you do, boy?

Jethro (excitedly): What we do, we climb into the back of the truck and eat all the vittles that's left!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160July 31, 2018 10:28 PM

[quote]That's what I said [R139]--Granny apparently had 2 children, Rose Ellen, who married Jed and they had Elly May, and some son, at least a half sibling to Rose Ellen, with the surname Bodine who married cousin Pearl and they had Jethro and Jethrine.

I *know*, r158. I gave you credit, but couldn't remember your number. I was providing video to back you up!

by Anonymousreply 161July 31, 2018 11:18 PM

Well, coincidentally, Max Baer Jr. and Vince Edwards were the 2 major crushes of my pre-teen years!

by Anonymousreply 162August 1, 2018 1:43 AM

Stupid cunt alert at R135. Read some of her scintillating posts and her oh, so deep questions. Talk about taking up too much space in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 163August 1, 2018 2:16 AM

R63 = Butt hurt obsessive. Move along, toots.

by Anonymousreply 164August 1, 2018 6:44 AM

Jed: She's my Sister and My Daughter!!

by Anonymousreply 165August 2, 2018 2:50 AM

Didn't Ellie May and Miss Jane share an apartment at some point? Like in a later season...?

by Anonymousreply 166August 2, 2018 9:51 AM

R166 they did and Ellie brought all her critters. Miss Jane complained of crabs soon after.

by Anonymousreply 167August 2, 2018 10:17 AM

Pearl came from Jed’s side of the family, not Granny’s. There are a couple episodes that directly point out that Jethro and Jed both reference Pearl being on the Clampett side of the family. Pearl said she and Jed were “blood kin” and Granny was “ only a Mother In Law.”

by Anonymousreply 168August 2, 2018 3:23 PM

r166

Yes, Jed was trying to get Elly a job, why? I don't know, except to move along the plot. (and if a job, why not at a zoo instead of a secretary?)

So Elly moves in with Miss Jane in her tiny studio, which has a pull out sofa and a murphy bed.

Then Granny moves in when Miss Jane teaches Elly and Granny about Women's lib.

After this, Granny and Elly move out, and Mike Minor, (from the cancelled show Petticoat Junction) is introduced as a new character who tries to woo Elly by making up stories. (Mike Minor's Petticoat Junction character had met all the Clampetts as "Steve Elliot," prior to being reintroduced as someone new)

by Anonymousreply 169October 20, 2019 3:02 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!