Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Parasite in cat poop could be reducing our fear of failure

[quote]A mind-controlling parasite found in cat feces may give people the courage they need to become entrepreneurs, researchers reported Tuesday.

[quote]They found that people who have been infected with the Toxoplasma gondii parasite are more likely to major in business and to have started their own businesses than non-infected people. The parasite, which makes rodents unafraid of cats, may be reducing the fear of failure in people, Stefanie Johnson of the University of Colorado and colleagues said.

Game. Changer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26July 25, 2018 9:33 PM

For reference.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 25, 2018 2:32 PM

Ok dear

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 25, 2018 2:34 PM

Ha! I have lived with cats for twenty years and I take absolutely no risks in life!

by Anonymousreply 3July 25, 2018 2:43 PM

I knew buying a cat was a smart decision

by Anonymousreply 4July 25, 2018 2:59 PM

Bullshit. We had cats the whole time I was growing up, and I ended up as timid as a church mouse.

by Anonymousreply 5July 25, 2018 3:06 PM

Toxoplasmosis is creepy. Cat-people are literally having their minds altered by a parasite, they are brain-washed.

by Anonymousreply 6July 25, 2018 3:12 PM

If the parasite makes cat owners fearless, then I'd expect to see more fatal accidents, reducing the owner's life expectancy. "Entrepreneurship" seems like something the research pulled out of her ass to get media attention.

by Anonymousreply 7July 25, 2018 3:16 PM

So successful business people have basically been exposed to cat shit.

by Anonymousreply 8July 25, 2018 3:17 PM

Wow so many DL Dog owners jealous of us.

by Anonymousreply 9July 25, 2018 3:17 PM

People who have cats as pets do so because they are independent and don't need to be cared for like a child. Such people would also be the kind to start businesses which they can devote long days away from home to.

by Anonymousreply 10July 25, 2018 3:35 PM

I always had cats because they're cute. And cool. The "independent" and "don't need to be cared for like a child" may be justifications some people need to make, but I just like cats.

by Anonymousreply 11July 25, 2018 3:39 PM

So it's the rodents who have no fear of cats? Isn't this fatal to rodents? BS on just the way OP presented this, or whoever wrote that drivel.

Rodents eat the cat shit is the only way I can figure them into this stupid article and being then infected with the no-fear parasite. I don't eat cat shit, last I checked. Breathing it in, through the cat litter, is about the only way it will get into my system.

This is why I suppose I want to stab someone on the regular. Right now it's OP.

by Anonymousreply 12July 25, 2018 3:49 PM

R11 is this guy here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 25, 2018 3:50 PM

r12 Why are you so angry?

by Anonymousreply 14July 25, 2018 3:54 PM

All the parasites in his brain r14.

by Anonymousreply 15July 25, 2018 3:55 PM

Because I love you, R14, and do not want to. Plus, parasites.

by Anonymousreply 16July 25, 2018 3:56 PM

Martina Navratilova had a scorching case of Toxoplasmosis after she went over to Rita Mae Brown's to finalize their separation agreement. She said the cats took a crap in the 'nut dish' she was munching on...

by Anonymousreply 17July 25, 2018 4:14 PM

I want to echo R12 in not quite understanding the logic of this "discovery". If rodents are the ones carrying this parasite, but it's being found in cat poop, wouldn't this mean that the rodents are being eaten by cats because they have become too unafraid of the cats? Not exactly a ringing endorsement of the parasite.

Also, if we really want to expose ourselves to this parasite it sounds like we should be keeping rodents as pets, not cats.

by Anonymousreply 18July 25, 2018 5:43 PM

R18 The goal is for rodents to ingest it and get eaten, then it propagates in the cats digestive track and is pooped out again. The parasite reproduces that way

by Anonymousreply 19July 25, 2018 5:57 PM

Toxoplasmosis is also linked to psychotic symptoms similar to schizophrenia.

The article linked is terrible.

by Anonymousreply 20July 25, 2018 6:02 PM

Toxoplasmosis is not a good thing. Lots of bad symptoms.

[quote]Symptoms Most healthy people who are infected with toxoplasmosis have no signs or symptoms and aren't aware that they're infected. Some people, however, develop signs and symptoms similar to those of the flu, including:

Body aches Swollen lymph nodes Headache Fever Fatigue

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21July 25, 2018 7:24 PM

Parashite in cat feesheeshz

by Anonymousreply 22July 25, 2018 7:40 PM

I have a purrfect furry friend and my apt is the only without mice...Haitians on both sides have mice jumping on their beds, gross. I read that mice smell cat shit and they know not to go there, whomever wrote this wretched article can sit on their thumb and spin.

by Anonymousreply 23July 25, 2018 9:10 PM

I love that there are more and more studies going to parasites and how they fight to live, even by manipulating the minds of their hosts. There could be many of our own "habits" that are controlled by parasites.

by Anonymousreply 24July 25, 2018 9:27 PM

They'd better wash their hands afterwards, R23, because you know: parasites.

by Anonymousreply 25July 25, 2018 9:31 PM

Sounds to me like "Scientists" and "Researchers" have way too much fucking time on their hands

by Anonymousreply 26July 25, 2018 9:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!