Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Wimbledon 2018 - Part III

Jinx Isner edition.

The thread cover boy jinx worked on the last two threads. Let’s hope it works on this one.

South African scarecrow Anderson vs. ‘Umerican Isner

Boobs Out “Nole” vs. Rafa’s Famous Ass and tics

Serena vs. former world number one Kerber

As always let’s ESL our discussions civil and hope that at long last Pam Shriver finds a man and beds him on the green grass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 601July 15, 2018 3:31 AM

Someone mentioned doping in the other thread. I posted this in Thread II. Thought I'd repost here since this was the penultimate posting in that thread:

I'm not sure what to think about PEDs in tennis. Serena has been accused of juicing, so has Nadal, Henin was plagued by those rumors and ultimately retired early. I'm inclined to think they're probably all taking something. There were many rumors that Djokovic finally started doping when he had his marvelous 2011, and that he did it knowing Nadal was doing it. But so far in tennis, at least at the upper echelons, there are only rumors.

Rumors, though, often lead to finally getting evidence. Lance Armstrong is the lead example. Marion Jones is another.

But rumors don't always lead to definitive proof. To this day, although never proven, most people think Florence Griffith Joyner was doping, and it's hard not to think that she was given her records from 1988 are still standing, and the only time they were threatened was by Marion Jones, a confessed doper. Also Griffith Joyner retired in 1989 when it was announced that random, out-of-competition drug testing would be the new norm. Her untimely death at age 38 due to an epileptic seizure, too, was labeled suspicious, but the autopsy didn't find any evidence of PED use.

Michelle Smith, the Irish swimmer who stunned everyone in 1996 by winning several golds seemingly out of nowhere, never tested positive for a banned substance. However, she was banned for 4 years for allegedly tampering with a urine sample, and her husband and trainer, a Dutch discus thrower, had been suspended from his sport due to steroid use. She remarkably improved her times after training exclusively with her juicer husband. She's probably a doper.

by Anonymousreply 1July 12, 2018 4:46 PM

Some of us are here. Work it out girls!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 12, 2018 4:47 PM

I weep for a tennis world where Isner is a GS champion.

by Anonymousreply 3July 12, 2018 4:55 PM

I'm not sure what to think about PEDs in tennis. Serena has been accused of juicing, so has Nadal, Henin was plagued by those rumors and ultimately retired early. I'm inclined to think they're probably all taking something. There were many rumors that Djokovic finally started doping when he had his marvelous 2011, and that he did it knowing Nadal was doing it. But so far in tennis, at least at the upper echelons, there are only rumors.

Rumors, though, often lead to finally getting evidence. Lance Armstrong is the lead example. Marion Jones is another.

But rumors don't always lead to definitive proof. To this day, although never proven, most people think Florence Griffith Joyner was doping, and it's hard not to think that she was given her records from 1988 are still standing, and the only time they were threatened was by Marion Jones, a confessed doper. Also Griffith Joyner retired in 1989 when it was announced that random, out-of-competition drug testing would be the new norm. Her untimely death at age 38 due to an epileptic seizure, too, was labeled suspicious, but the autopsy didn't find any evidence of PED use.

Michelle Smith, the Irish swimmer who stunned everyone in 1996 by winning several golds seemingly out of nowhere, never tested positive for a banned substance. However, she was banned for 4 years for allegedly tampering with a urine sample, and her husband and trainer, a Dutch discus thrower, had been suspended from his sport due to steroid use. She remarkably improved her times after training exclusively with her juicer husband. She's probably a doper.

by Anonymousreply 4July 12, 2018 4:58 PM

I like this thread better because of the Isner jinx photo.

by Anonymousreply 5July 12, 2018 5:09 PM

So do I, R5. So do I.

by Anonymousreply 6July 12, 2018 5:10 PM

There are two threads where should I yap in my horrible English ? this one or the other one ?Decide which is official ?

by Anonymousreply 7July 12, 2018 5:10 PM

[quote]So do I, [R5]. So do I.

me too

by Anonymousreply 8July 12, 2018 5:11 PM

ESL, this one had you in the OP’s post, so you should stick to this one.

by Anonymousreply 9July 12, 2018 5:11 PM

Oh and your English is far from horrible, ESL. It’s far better than that of many Americans especially that of Trump voters (not a high bar mind you).

by Anonymousreply 10July 12, 2018 5:12 PM

Stay here, r7 (ESL), because we wanna jinx Isner.

by Anonymousreply 11July 12, 2018 5:15 PM

Jinx Isner!

by Anonymousreply 12July 12, 2018 5:15 PM

yesterday's Nadal - Delpo hug

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 12, 2018 5:16 PM

Jinxing Isner is goals.

by Anonymousreply 14July 12, 2018 5:16 PM

That’s sweet, R13.

by Anonymousreply 15July 12, 2018 5:18 PM

Today's Kerber v. Ostapenko match got a little scary for Kerber toward the end. Kerber was up two breaks in the 2nd set and then she started to tighten up, while Ostapenko began to pull her game together. In the last game, with Kerber serving for the second time to close the match, Ostapenko made two bad unforced errors, essentially giving the win to Kerber. If instead Kerber had gotten broken again, the match could have really slipped away from her (as it did for Halep against Ostapenko in last year's French Open). Kerber can't afford to have that kind of lapse with Serena on Saturday.

by Anonymousreply 16July 12, 2018 5:20 PM

R16, who do you think would be tougher for Serena to beat: Kerber or Ostapenko?

by Anonymousreply 17July 12, 2018 5:26 PM

Oh, Johnny, put your shirt on ..nobody wants to see that.

by Anonymousreply 18July 12, 2018 5:30 PM

[quote] Oh, Johnny, put your shirt on ..nobody wants to see that.

Ivan’s would.

by Anonymousreply 19July 12, 2018 5:35 PM

[quote] Oh, Johnny, put your shirt on ..nobody wants to see that.

Ivanka would.

by Anonymousreply 20July 12, 2018 5:36 PM

R17, I'm not R16, but I think who would be tougher for Serena to beat between Kerber or Ostapenko depends on which Serena shows up. Kerber is steady and gets a lot of balls back. If Serena's serve is off, Kerber could beat her is Serena is making a lot of unforced errors. Ostapenko, on the other hand, can hit with Serena. When Ostapenko is on, she can blast anyone off the court. But like all big hitters, Ostapenko is streaky and could litter the court with UEs.

My guess is Kerber will give Serena a tough time UNLESS Serena is serving lights out. I think that match is a tough call.

by Anonymousreply 21July 12, 2018 5:37 PM

I forgot Isner did the ESPN Body Issue

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 12, 2018 5:38 PM

Thanks, R21.

by Anonymousreply 23July 12, 2018 5:43 PM

What is DL’s favorite major?

by Anonymousreply 24July 12, 2018 5:49 PM

Wimbledon! US Open is too commercial and Roland Garros injures too many people. Australian Open is just the US Open's less rich cousin

by Anonymousreply 25July 12, 2018 5:50 PM

Oh, Johnny, put your pants on. Nobody wants to see that.

by Anonymousreply 26July 12, 2018 5:52 PM

R17, I agree with R21. Ostapenko has the power to hang with Serena, but she's not that great a mover and would eventually be littering the court with unforced errors. Also, Ostapenko's second serve is pretty weak and inconsistent, and I could see Serena teeing off that. Kerber, on the other hand, should be able to absorb Serena's power and has more variety in her shots, which could throw Serena off her game. Still, if Serena serves like she did the other day -- winning 75% of her SECOND-serve points -- I don't think there will be much that Kerber can do.

by Anonymousreply 27July 12, 2018 5:53 PM

[quote] Oh, Johnny, put your pants on. Nobody wants to see that.

Jared does.

by Anonymousreply 28July 12, 2018 5:54 PM

I understand the hate for Isner, but I find him hot, OP pic notwithstanding.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29July 12, 2018 5:55 PM

Lacoste, sweetie darling. Lacoste.

by Anonymousreply 30July 12, 2018 5:56 PM

It's not just that Isner is a Trump supporter; he also has one of the most boring games on the tour. I have nothing against big servers as long as they as least have something else going on with the rest of their game, but the rest of Isner's game is just plain ugly. He's like the male version of Betty Stove.

by Anonymousreply 31July 12, 2018 6:04 PM

Kerber was the only player who can challenge Serena. If Serena doesn't serve well she is toast because Kerber has a very good defensive game. The last time they played was two years ago in the Wimbledon final. Serena won, but Serena is far from that player so Angelique should have a chance

by Anonymousreply 32July 12, 2018 6:28 PM

R25, the Aussie Open is far and away the most fun of all the majors and the favorite for many on tour...

by Anonymousreply 33July 12, 2018 6:30 PM

I wouldn't say Serena is FAR from that R32. I'd put her at 90% of her pre baby level

by Anonymousreply 34July 12, 2018 6:31 PM

Betty is a lot butcher, R31.

by Anonymousreply 35July 12, 2018 6:33 PM

And remember that Kerber isn't quite back at her peak level either. 2017 wasn't a very good year for her and, in fact, this is the first tournament where I believe she's finally playing close to where she was in 2016, yet the confidence isn't quite there yet.

by Anonymousreply 36July 12, 2018 6:37 PM

LOL, r35! I'm just glad that my reference to Betty wasn't lost on everyone although, this being DL, I guess I shouldn't have worried. You might remember that Betty suffered quite an ignominious Wimbledon in 1977, losing in all three finals: ladies singles, ladies doubles, and mixed doubles.

by Anonymousreply 37July 12, 2018 6:42 PM

R31, I also laughed my ass off to the Betty Stove comparison. Perfect! Thanks for the laugh!

by Anonymousreply 38July 12, 2018 6:59 PM

Betty is the Angela Lansbury of tennis

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39July 12, 2018 7:04 PM

Team NODAL!

by Anonymousreply 40July 12, 2018 7:20 PM

I'm with you, R40. If Nadal wins tomorrow, I'm not going to watch the final. No one on the other side can beat him, although someone on the other side could pull an upset over Djokovic.

by Anonymousreply 41July 12, 2018 7:49 PM

Isner and Anderson can defeat Nadal on grass. On other surfaces he could be unbeatable for them but on grass he is beatable. And inspired day on serve it's all that they need (and not choke)

by Anonymousreply 42July 12, 2018 7:56 PM

[quote] Betty is a lot butcher

I read that as Betty IS a butcher.

by Anonymousreply 43July 12, 2018 8:02 PM

[quote] Betty is the Angela Lansbury of tennis

Wow. Uncanny.

by Anonymousreply 44July 12, 2018 8:03 PM

I grew up watching Betty, Francoise Durr and her ridiculous serve and Soviet doll Olga Morozova.

by Anonymousreply 45July 12, 2018 8:04 PM

And Durr's forehand was also a sight to behold. They sure don't make 'em like that anymore.

by Anonymousreply 46July 12, 2018 8:07 PM

R45, did Olga have other dolls nesting inside her?

by Anonymousreply 47July 12, 2018 8:07 PM

Also laughing at the Betty comments! Very ‘Dutch butch’. met her once at the US Open and she’s very friendly. Announced by Serena at the presser: Meghan Markle will cheer her on from the Royal Box on Saturday.

by Anonymousreply 48July 12, 2018 8:15 PM

Favorite Slam: the US. Although, that may admittedly be a hangover from when I first started to watch tennis. The French was ruled by baseliners, Wimbledon by big servers, so the US was the great neutralizer. (Aussie was clearly 4th of 4, because the top players didn't always play it.) Nowadays, with baseliners winning Wimbledon, and serve & volley all but dead, I guess the US doesn't stand out in the same way.

I also loved watching night matches back in the 90s. When I first found courts with lights on them, I'd play with my friends under the lights, and felt like I was playing US Open night sessions. Always made me excited to play/watch.

by Anonymousreply 49July 12, 2018 8:27 PM

Favourite GS, Roland Garros. Hey, i'm spanish it's in our genes to love Roland Garros (even the french crowd boo our players every year)

by Anonymousreply 50July 12, 2018 8:31 PM

Interesting read. I had always wondered why The Duchess was no longer presenting the trophies. I had wondered if she passed away. I miss the Duchess, and I miss Bud Collins. Wimbledon is a little less fun without them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51July 12, 2018 8:32 PM

For you, r45

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52July 12, 2018 8:33 PM

Thanks for the link, R51. The BBC made a moving tribute to Jana Novotna between the two semi finals today, and they interviewed the duchess. She said they remained friends after Jana’s Wimbledon finals. The duchess seems like a sweet lady.

by Anonymousreply 53July 12, 2018 8:48 PM

Saw Betty play at the Slims of DC in 1976 and she took a set off Chrissie. They played in a gymnasium in Fairfax. Betty took almost no back swing and muscled winners. In the 3rd set she came in on crazy shots and Chrissie nailed the ball at her feet. She was loved by the crowd and we gave them a long ovation. The Secret Service was there cuz Chrissie was spending the week with Jack Ford. Good times.

by Anonymousreply 54July 12, 2018 8:48 PM

[quote] I grew up watching Betty, Francoise Durr and her ridiculous serve and Soviet doll Olga Morozova.

Edda Buding is pictures with Francoise on Durr’s Wikipedia page.

by Anonymousreply 55July 12, 2018 9:09 PM

That slut Chrissie!

by Anonymousreply 56July 12, 2018 9:10 PM

Pictures = pictured

by Anonymousreply 57July 12, 2018 9:10 PM

Great article, r51. Thanks for sharing it.

by Anonymousreply 58July 12, 2018 9:26 PM

The problem with the US Open is that the actual tennis has become an afterthought, secondary to all the merch, concession stands, expensive day passes which are these days more of a status symbol than a means to enjoying top-quality tennis. My partner and I used to travel from Toronto to NYC every Labor Day weekend to enjoy tennis but stopped a couple of years ago when it truly became tedious. We bought primetime Arthur Ashe tickets only to be constantly distracted by the bridge-and-tunnel audiences who didn't care about what was happening on the court but were constantly walking around, even during points, to go to the bathroom, buy hot dogs and beer, loudly yammer about the ongoing football games, and so on. I think we left before the matches were over because it was absolutely impossible to enjoy it. The audiences at European slams have far more respect for the game. Hell, I've been to some smaller scale ATP Tour events where people had far more respect for the game.

by Anonymousreply 59July 12, 2018 9:36 PM

Also, r59, Arthur Ashe stadium is an abomination. With all those luxury suites, the audience in the upper levels of the stadium are so far removed from the action. When I go to the U.S. Open now, I prefer going just during the first week to watch the matches on the outer courts and I avoid Arthur Ashe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60July 12, 2018 9:48 PM

Does anyone how the shot clock will work? For example, if the server is interrupted by noise or some hecklers (US OPEN, I am looking at you) does the shot clock stop? Does the server need to serve under whatever time is allowed no matter what?

by Anonymousreply 61July 12, 2018 9:57 PM

[quote] Some of us are here. Work it out girls!

OP here. I didn’t realize another thread had been started. I apologize for starting this one. I am a frequent “worse than Hitler” poster, and today I am worse than Hitler.

by Anonymousreply 62July 12, 2018 10:00 PM

Those are good questions, r61. I'd also want to know when the clock starts. Does it start immediately at the conclusion of the previous point? (Of course, if there's a challenge, I would assume the clock wouldn't start until a ruling was made on the challenged point.)

by Anonymousreply 63July 12, 2018 10:01 PM

I hope Nadal wins. I utterly loathe Isner and hope he is defeated forthwith.

by Anonymousreply 64July 12, 2018 10:07 PM

[R63] I have looked for some information but I cannot find any specifics. I think the clock starts from the moment the point ends. The 25 seconds (not sure) is the maximum time from moment the point ends till the server finally serves. At the USO it will be a mess if the spectators do not shut up. Will the umpire reset the clock?

by Anonymousreply 65July 12, 2018 10:14 PM

I miss the old Grandstand at the US Open, and to a lesser degree, Armstrong. Like R60, I go in the first week and stay clear of Ashe. (1) It sucks, and (2) matches scheduled there for the first several days are usually horrible, like Serena vs. Carina Withoeft of Federer va. Miriam Basic. I'd much prefer seeing a competitive 1R match rather than a blowout by a Top player. (Side note: I'm very happy Slams are returning to 16 seeds, too.)

While the USTA has done a nice job with the new outside courts (Grandstand, 17), they're lacking the character of the old courts.

by Anonymousreply 66July 12, 2018 10:15 PM

The 25 second serve clock starts from the point after the score has been announced from the prior point. (Or when the chair announces "time" for the first point of the game.)

The chair does have the discretion to pause or reset the clock if for instance there's crowd noise or debris that falls on to the court. (Said another way, players will still have something to bitch at the chair ump.)

I just question the necessity. Yeah, I know Nadal and Djokovic can get pokey, maybe a few others too. But it's never really distracted me from a match.

by Anonymousreply 67July 12, 2018 10:24 PM

[quote]The 25 second serve clock starts from the point after the score has been announced from the prior point.

The downfall of Tennis is complete!

by Anonymousreply 68July 12, 2018 10:36 PM

[quote] Federer vs. Miriam Basic

Is she Mirza's sister? ;)

by Anonymousreply 69July 12, 2018 10:49 PM

For a second there I thought you typed Mirka, R69, because she is indeed quite basic - basically fat! Tehe.

by Anonymousreply 70July 12, 2018 10:52 PM

Lol, fucking autocorrect, R69

by Anonymousreply 71July 12, 2018 10:52 PM

From the last thread:

[quote]Aren't feminists offended that women only get to play 3 sets in GS? Shouldn't they fight for the chance to play 5 sets so they won't be treated differently than men?

The new tactic is to lobby the ITF to get the slams to reduce men’s best-of-fivers to best-of-threes. Courtney, and especially Ben, have already started.

by Anonymousreply 72July 12, 2018 11:00 PM

Ben's been advocating that forever. Here's the thing - the argument that's been used re: equal prize money is that sports is entertainment, and in what other form of entertainment do you pay performers based on length of performance? So they should really stick with that argument instead of getting twisted in the Best of 3 vs. 5 debate.

As for Best of 5 for the men, why change it? I like that fitness becomes a big factor at the Slams, and there's less random results by playing Best of 5. I think his arguments come down to health and scheduling, but frankly I don't see issues there that need to be addressed outside of introducing a final set tiebreak.

As for the unending debate on prize money: Part of the problem is I think the women are afraid of the equal prize money debate because the men are currently drawing more fans. Instead, they need to embrace the cyclical nature of the sport. In the early 2000's, the women were arguably the bigger attraction. In five years time, who knows which side will be more popular? So just pay them equally at the Slams and be done with it. Outside of the Slams, it's up to each Tour (ATP vs WTA) how they want to compensate based on the level of event at each tour location.

by Anonymousreply 73July 12, 2018 11:23 PM

The US Open is by far the worst. The stands are often empty, the crowd uneducated, and the poor players are forced to talk about how HARD it is playing at the US Open OR how much they LOVE New York and NYers. BARF

by Anonymousreply 74July 12, 2018 11:30 PM

If it's entertainment and payment is based on that, then they should pay the women based on their ratings, which are not nearly as high as the mens' ratings.

by Anonymousreply 75July 13, 2018 12:46 AM

In the US, French Open ratings were pretty even between the men (1.1 rating, 1.62 million viewers) and women (1.0 rating, 1.45 million viewers).

Frankly, with numbers like those, players are lucky they're being paid as well as they are!

by Anonymousreply 76July 13, 2018 1:41 AM

The stereotype of US Open crowds as a bunch of State Island and Brooklyn working class Italians heckling players and swilling cheap beer is more accurate if we were talking about 1985. My last few visits the crowd was much more international and knowledgeable than in the past. I do agree that Ashe is designed almost solely to make money, however.

by Anonymousreply 77July 13, 2018 2:17 AM

Two things I enjoy about Wimbledon are the lack of music between games and on-court interviews. Both are pointless and annoying.

by Anonymousreply 78July 13, 2018 2:20 AM

[quote] The stereotype of US Open crowds as a bunch of State Island and Brooklyn working class Italians heckling players and swilling cheap beer is more accurate if we were talking about 1985. My last few visits the crowd was much more international and knowledgeable than in the past. I do agree that Ashe is designed almost solely to make money, however.

I don't know what it was like in 1985, but I'm talking about 2015 (or maybe 2016?) Most of the audience on Ashe was there to get RF merchandise and eat while largely ignoring the match. Andy Murray was playing the evening match, 3rd or 4th round, I forget, and those bozos had no idea who he was. I think that a lot of those types are only aware of Federer, Serena, and, to a lesser degree, Nadal. For all they cared, there could've been a bear riding a unicycle on the court or a Thai hooker shooting ping pong balls out of her vagina.

by Anonymousreply 79July 13, 2018 2:30 AM

DL fave Ronan Farrow, son of Frank Sinatra, was at the Ostapenko-Kerber match with an older woman who is not his mother.

by Anonymousreply 80July 13, 2018 3:02 AM

For [R61] and [R63]. (R67] covered the main things but here's the ATP explanation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81July 13, 2018 4:07 AM

If at any point women's tennis is or was clearly more popular than the men's game, we'd know about it, as it would be endlessly and triumphantly quoted. The silence is the clearest evidence that, barring the odd special match once a decade or so, it manifestly isn't.

by Anonymousreply 82July 13, 2018 8:38 AM

Chissie really was a slut..good for her

by Anonymousreply 83July 13, 2018 9:11 AM

Difficult to say, R82. Usually the data people look at in the U.S. is TV ratings for Grand Slam Finals because it clearly draws a line between women's and men's play. (Whereas a random Day 4 of Wimbledon or Day 7 of the US Open features both genders, so who knows what people are tuning in for.) If you go by that measure, the women were outpacing the men for much of 2013-2015, a period where Serena dominated the women's game and in 2015 was going for the Grand Slam, while Federer had faded behind Djokovic and Nadal. For instance, the US ratings were higher for women at the 2013 US Final, 2014 US final, 2015 Australian Final, etc. It happened pretty regularly.

But what does that really mean? It's US-specific, and as we know tennis is a global sport. Plus it's measuring only two days of a two week event.

So how do we assess "popularity"? Li Na was huge in China, Halep is huge in Romania, Del Potro is huge in Argentina, Djokovic is huge in Serbia - how does that get measured? "Popularity" can turn on a dime, based on which players are playing in a specific match; for instance, the 2015 US Open Women's semis (Williams vs. Vinci) were more "popular" than the finals (Vinci vs. Pennetta) if we look at fan attendance and US TV ratings. So you can basically cut the data in multiple ways to support whatever argument you want to make.

by Anonymousreply 84July 13, 2018 10:37 AM

R68: 25 seconds are more than enough to serve. But i hope they implement the rule with common sense, it's not the same wasting more time at the beginning of the match than after 4 hours

by Anonymousreply 85July 13, 2018 10:49 AM

When a match is suspenseful like the Aussie Open 2012 men's final (Djokovic v. Nadal), I don't mind a slower tempo of play between points. But when a match is boring and lopsided, I wanna scream, "Come on, just got on with it already." A serve clock can help correct the latter type of matches, but it also could detract from the former type of matches until players get used to it. Just my opinion, but I think players (even Nadal) will get used to the serve clock faster than we think they will. I was surprised, for example, how relatively quickly players seem to adjust to tiebreakers when they first were introduced.

by Anonymousreply 86July 13, 2018 12:03 PM

I'm not that sure, he is reacting really bad to everytime he gets a time warning. He knows the warning is correct but that doesn't stop him to shout and protest. With a clear rule and a clock he'll change, because those reactions will be bad for his image (when everybody can see that he is wrong). He'll adapt to the rule, but i don't think he'll adapt without at least a couple of bad reactions

by Anonymousreply 87July 13, 2018 12:23 PM

Wow 20 minutes and only three games

by Anonymousreply 88July 13, 2018 12:32 PM

R87, I think the problem in the past is that the time warnings weren't consistently enforced by different chair umpires, which then of course leads to players arguing and protesting. The serve clock will ensure more uniform enforcement and, yeah, players will look like jerks if they start arguing with the serve clock. It would be like continuing to argue a line call when Hawkeye has already shown that you were wrong. So, I could be wrong, but I think even players like Nadal and Djokovic will adapt quickly to the serve clock.

by Anonymousreply 89July 13, 2018 12:32 PM

R84, I'd suggest there is enough current and historic evidence for LTA/WTA attendance and ticket demand, relative viewing figures, and similar figures for Slam days for a moderately competent statistician to come to a clear general conclusion. It wouldn't be that complicated a piece of research compared to most of what they do and it wouldn't cost much. It doesn't happen because everyone involved knows what the result would be and they don't want to go there.

by Anonymousreply 90July 13, 2018 12:53 PM

Has Dump shown up yet to watch his big fan Isner?

by Anonymousreply 91July 13, 2018 1:02 PM

Anderson wins the first-set tiebreak!

by Anonymousreply 92July 13, 2018 1:15 PM

R90, regarding attendance: when all 4 of the Slams, and half of the approx. 20 WTA "premier" events are combined men & women events, how do you get any semblance of an accurate attendance figure for men's vs. women's tennis? The majority of the women's only events are the smaller "International" series events, which don't have the top players present, so it's a little misleading to tally only those numbers.

There would be a similar challenge for viewership numbers since most of the largest events are co-ed. I suppose streaming numbers from ATP vs. WTA coverage would be helpful, but again, that's only a small percentage of viewership.

Sure, my guess is that viewership and attendance are more interested in ATP action vs. WTA action. And I agree that the WTA might not be too interested in a real deep dive into this at the moment. But I don't know how you can parse those numbers based on the current structure of the tours.

by Anonymousreply 93July 13, 2018 1:24 PM

Male and female tennis payers get the same pay only at certain select events. Overall, women make less. So if you are really militant about maintaining a pay gap, I don't think that you have much to worry about. It's definitely there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94July 13, 2018 1:31 PM

I was rooting for John but now that Kevin has won the first set, Kevin should finish in three set . I want this side to win in final meanwhile other semis should go in five hour marathon

by Anonymousreply 95July 13, 2018 1:42 PM

John dropped his first set against Raonic in a tie break and came back strong

by Anonymousreply 96July 13, 2018 1:46 PM

Justin Gimelstob looks like such a douche in his suit and sunglasses.

by Anonymousreply 97July 13, 2018 2:03 PM

who is good looking guy in light blue suit and black goggles in Isner box? His side piece? Can any American gays tell me about that guy?

by Anonymousreply 98July 13, 2018 2:05 PM

R97: Well, he is an homophobic douche so he looks exactly the way he is

by Anonymousreply 99July 13, 2018 2:10 PM

Justin GimelsKNOB is a Class A douche. Please, Anderson, take out the deplorable Isner!

by Anonymousreply 100July 13, 2018 2:11 PM

Everyone laments the state of the WTA, but what state is the ATP in if someone like Isner has a chance to make it to the Wimbledon final? UGH.

by Anonymousreply 101July 13, 2018 2:13 PM

of course Anderson botches the 2nd set tiebreak....

by Anonymousreply 102July 13, 2018 2:14 PM

ugh just checked h2h and it's heavily in Isner's favor. I thought it would have been closer. Anderson hasn't beaten him in 6 years

by Anonymousreply 103July 13, 2018 2:18 PM

this match is SO BORING

by Anonymousreply 104July 13, 2018 2:28 PM

C’mon, Anderson!

by Anonymousreply 105July 13, 2018 2:40 PM

Anderson breaks, has a chance to serve for the 3rd and gets broken back. dafuq

by Anonymousreply 106July 13, 2018 2:44 PM

Anderson-Isner is more sedating than even ketamine. There's no K hole. Just Isner's hole.

by Anonymousreply 107July 13, 2018 2:51 PM

What a boring match. That players like Anderson and Isner can make semi-finals shows the poor state of the game these days.

by Anonymousreply 108July 13, 2018 3:09 PM

Oh damn. Anderson had a set point but then double-faulted. Now he's down two sets to one.

by Anonymousreply 109July 13, 2018 3:10 PM

Ugh. Isner wins the third.... Blah.

by Anonymousreply 110July 13, 2018 3:10 PM

MAGA

by Anonymousreply 111July 13, 2018 3:10 PM

Eww isner is up 2 sets to one

by Anonymousreply 112July 13, 2018 3:11 PM

Anderson works really hard. Actually wins the advantage and the promptly gives it away. He will brutally kick himself for a long time when he looks back at this one,

by Anonymousreply 113July 13, 2018 3:12 PM

ugg Nadal/nole winner is so going to win the whole as winner of this semifinal will not have thing left in his tank for the final

by Anonymousreply 114July 13, 2018 3:13 PM

Ugh, of course Anderson plays lights out against an out-of-form Federer, but he can't even hold his serve when he's up a break or close out a set point against servebot Isner.

by Anonymousreply 115July 13, 2018 3:14 PM

I wouldn't be so sure, r114. The Nadal v. Djokovic match could easily go to five sets with lots of long rallies, leaving the winner likewise exhausted.

by Anonymousreply 116July 13, 2018 3:17 PM

Ain’t both of them servebots?

by Anonymousreply 117July 13, 2018 3:17 PM

Can't imagine this match is too taxing even if they keep going to tiebreaks. Isnt it just serving and maybe many points go up to three or four rallies?

by Anonymousreply 118July 13, 2018 3:22 PM

R93, these are not remotely difficult problems for a competent statistician. Making allowances for the different venue sizes, ticket availability, number of rounds and so on to produce meaningful figurers for comparative purposes would be pretty simple for them. It isn't an insane number of variables, For Slams, they could focus on the later stages when men or women usually play quarters, semis and finals on different days.

by Anonymousreply 119July 13, 2018 3:25 PM

R118, it might not be as physically taxing as a match between two baseliners, but there's gotta be a lot of mental fatigue, especially having to play tiebreakers.

by Anonymousreply 120July 13, 2018 3:26 PM

R118 and R120

Do you play tennis? Powerful serves are generated by the legs. Doing it for 3+ hours will kill your legs-- that's the reason why the serve is always first to go when a person is fatigued. It actually explains why Anderson isn't performing as well today as he did during his match against Federer.

by Anonymousreply 121July 13, 2018 3:35 PM

Geez, he can break Isner twice and can't hold. After holding over and over, come on...

by Anonymousreply 122July 13, 2018 3:37 PM

They are pro athletes. They should be fit enough to play a relatively long match get a day break and come back to compete refreshed. If not they need to train harder.

by Anonymousreply 123July 13, 2018 3:40 PM

Of course they recover, but to say that it isn't taxing to "just" serve is false.

by Anonymousreply 124July 13, 2018 3:44 PM

R121, I still think that a grueling match between two baseliners will be more physically taxing. Think of Nadal v. Djokovic in the 2012 Aussie Open final. Both men could barely stand at the end of that. I don't see that same kind of physical exhaustion between two serving machines like Isner v. Anderson.

by Anonymousreply 125July 13, 2018 3:44 PM

I'm not disagreeing with that. Baseliners still have to serve, after all. I'm just correcting the assumption that serving is not physically exhaustive.

Back to the match. If Anderson can't convert this break, I'm turning this off!

by Anonymousreply 126July 13, 2018 3:50 PM

40 - 0 Anderson and loses 3 points in a row and FINALLY consolidates and wins the set. Come on, Kev.

by Anonymousreply 127July 13, 2018 3:52 PM

R126, well your comment -- "Do you play tennis?" -- was directed at both me and r118, and all I said was that a serving duel might not be as physically demanding as a match between two baseliners.

by Anonymousreply 128July 13, 2018 3:54 PM

I love a good fifth set

by Anonymousreply 129July 13, 2018 3:54 PM

I have to think Isner is getting a bit more tired. He's looking like this long match is affecting him more. But Anderson sure has battled his nerves a lot in consolidating breaks and serving out opportunities.

by Anonymousreply 130July 13, 2018 3:55 PM

2 sets all. Given that there is no tie-break in the fifth set, I could easily see it go to a 22-20 scoreline, Nadal and Djokovic will have to come back tomorrow, no?

by Anonymousreply 131July 13, 2018 3:55 PM

Now there's no tiebreak. I want Anderson but ultimately I want either to break so we can get to the Nadal/Nole match. Dont want a 50-48 set.

by Anonymousreply 132July 13, 2018 3:55 PM

R131, I was just going to post that possibility. I hope they move them to another court. I want Nadal as fatigued as possible.

by Anonymousreply 133July 13, 2018 3:56 PM

Please let this 5th set have less than 16 games.

by Anonymousreply 134July 13, 2018 3:57 PM

Yeah, the last thing I want is a repeat of Isner v. Mahut.

by Anonymousreply 135July 13, 2018 3:57 PM

Nadal will never play on something other than Center Court

by Anonymousreply 136July 13, 2018 3:57 PM

They would shut the roof and make it a night match if needed I believe

by Anonymousreply 137July 13, 2018 4:00 PM

I knew that the Isner-Mahut match was long but I didn't know the 5th set was 70-68. Holy fuck.

by Anonymousreply 138July 13, 2018 4:01 PM

Justin is same guy who commented about Domi's ass. right? If I remember correctly he only told that Domi take all the power from his ass .

by Anonymousreply 139July 13, 2018 4:03 PM

R139 what?

by Anonymousreply 140July 13, 2018 4:05 PM

[quote]Please let this 5th set have less than 16 games.

Fewer.

by Anonymousreply 141July 13, 2018 4:06 PM

Yes he talked in a homoerotic way about Thiem's butt and when realized what he did live on air basically said "no homo."

by Anonymousreply 142July 13, 2018 4:06 PM

And it was over three days R138

by Anonymousreply 143July 13, 2018 4:07 PM

Is rafa cunting at Locker room ?

by Anonymousreply 144July 13, 2018 4:09 PM

They really do need to make all Slams have a 5th set tiebreaker for the men and 3rd set breaker for the women. No one ever wants to see another Isner-Mahut abortion of a match. That was ghastly.

by Anonymousreply 145July 13, 2018 4:10 PM

I believe the term is “ tremendous tuckus”

by Anonymousreply 146July 13, 2018 4:13 PM

Good question, r144. For someone as OCD as Nadal, a match like this has gotta wear on his nerves.

by Anonymousreply 147July 13, 2018 4:13 PM

I don't care who wins now. Just please put a stake in this horrible match so we can see Nole/Nadal.

by Anonymousreply 148July 13, 2018 4:33 PM

[quote] I believe the term is “ tremendous tuckus”

I thought he said that of Jack Sock?

by Anonymousreply 149July 13, 2018 4:33 PM

This could go on forever ugh.

by Anonymousreply 150July 13, 2018 4:35 PM

[quote]I thought he said that of Jack Sock?

no, it was Thiem

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151July 13, 2018 4:39 PM

ESPN really needs to stop showing shots of Gimelstob.

by Anonymousreply 152July 13, 2018 4:42 PM

Does gimelstob not realize how much of a total dBag he looks like standing after every point??

by Anonymousreply 153July 13, 2018 4:43 PM

How does Isner get away with basic groundstrokes that look like THAT at the professional level. I HIT BETTER THAN THAT!

by Anonymousreply 154July 13, 2018 4:46 PM

R154 he looks kind of amateur when he isnt serving.

by Anonymousreply 155July 13, 2018 4:49 PM

In 1993, Ivanisevic was booed at the Paris Open when he served a gazillion aces and a trazillion service winners. TPTB realized the courts and balls had gotten too fast for the racquet technology and starred to slow everything down. Indoor carpet disappeared, hard courts were slowed down and Wimbledon’s grass was slowed to a treacle pace.

This horror of a semifinal between Anderson and Isner (!!!) is one of the consequences of that mad rush to slow everything down, and will be as pivotal a moment in forcing a rethink as that Paris Open was.

Bring. back. real. grass!!!

by Anonymousreply 156July 13, 2018 4:55 PM

Billie Jean King vs. Margaret Cunt

by Anonymousreply 157July 13, 2018 4:59 PM

Why does Isner keep adjusting himself?

by Anonymousreply 158July 13, 2018 5:05 PM

He’s got a big knob!

by Anonymousreply 159July 13, 2018 5:06 PM

Isner is one the most annoying players to watch

by Anonymousreply 160July 13, 2018 5:11 PM

r159 Exactly the opposite. Sadly I have to do the same.

by Anonymousreply 161July 13, 2018 5:11 PM

R156, wouldn't bringing back "real grass" make the game quicker, and therefore lead to MORE Isner/Anderson-type matches?

by Anonymousreply 162July 13, 2018 5:16 PM

Dear God, this is never going to end!

by Anonymousreply 163July 13, 2018 5:23 PM

Two days later: 68-68, Isner to serve...

by Anonymousreply 164July 13, 2018 5:23 PM

This is so dumb.

by Anonymousreply 165July 13, 2018 5:24 PM

To the poster who said that great servers come from the legs- yes! It's all part of a process called pronation, where racket head speed and forward momentum are maximized from the legs up to the shoulder for the maximum whiplash effect to the head of the racket. The wrist must also be kept loose- grip the racket just tight enough to keep it from being thrown out of your hand. The racket head snaps over the ball. In fact the entire body except for the legs stays as loose as possible for maximum racket head speed. It's like cracking a whip. Peter Sampras was the master of the service motion in the modern game. Actually, service production has not changed much. Great servers like Gonzalez, Ashe, Sampras, and Isner have pretty much the same stroke productions. What has changed is that the rackets are a bit lighter and more powerful- they do not absorb force like wood used to.

by Anonymousreply 166July 13, 2018 5:24 PM

Over five hours watching two guys with little “star power “, no wonder Americans hate tennis.

by Anonymousreply 167July 13, 2018 5:25 PM

Anderson team

by Anonymousreply 168July 13, 2018 5:26 PM

Isner is so stiff now. Can hardly walk. But his serve will continue to bail him.

by Anonymousreply 169July 13, 2018 5:34 PM

In 2018 Wimbledon ladies' doubles final Kveta Peschke, partnering Nicole Melichar, will face Barbora Krejcikova and Katerina Siniakova neither of whom had been conceived yet when Peschke played her first Wimbledon in 1994.

by Anonymousreply 170July 13, 2018 5:36 PM

Last time Isner had a loooong match in Wimbledon he was defeated in easy three sets in the following round. Unless Rafa and Nole had a terrible long battle, the winner of this match won't have a chance against the winner of Rafa/Nole

by Anonymousreply 171July 13, 2018 5:39 PM

Has nole started cunting in locker room yet?

i wonder what nole/Rafa "locker room talk" would be like ?

by Anonymousreply 172July 13, 2018 5:39 PM

15 all and weren’t not talking abou a score for a game.

by Anonymousreply 173July 13, 2018 5:43 PM

I doubt Nole or Rafa get nervous just because they have to wait, they have tons of experience. Zverev was bashing Rafa on Rome, but after the rain the only one on court was Rafa

by Anonymousreply 174July 13, 2018 5:44 PM

It's past time for stodgy ole Wimbledon to institute 5th set tie breakers. It is the greatest tournament in the world- but they can be a bit slow to modernize (like the monarchy). However I hope they never commercialize the way the US Open and Aussie Open have. Just the discrete Rolex logo and all else green and flowers everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 175July 13, 2018 5:46 PM

I think Isner will win. He has the advantage of being the first to serve and Anderson proved that he had trouble in holding his serve after a break

by Anonymousreply 176July 13, 2018 5:47 PM

R174, which Zverev?

by Anonymousreply 177July 13, 2018 5:48 PM

Anderson had two breakpoints so far in the final set. Isner had none.

by Anonymousreply 178July 13, 2018 5:49 PM

This is why the us open is the best slam

by Anonymousreply 179July 13, 2018 5:50 PM

R177: The Zverev who played the Rome final

by Anonymousreply 180July 13, 2018 5:51 PM

[quote] This is why the us open is the best slam

Why?

by Anonymousreply 181July 13, 2018 5:52 PM

There's a tiebreak in the final set to keep this dumb shit from happening.

by Anonymousreply 182July 13, 2018 5:53 PM

I don't see the problem with a long fifth set if it's in the final rounds, the problem here is that you don't watch tennis only serves

by Anonymousreply 183July 13, 2018 5:54 PM

The boys semifinals between Draper and Mejía is 13-12 in the third

by Anonymousreply 184July 13, 2018 5:55 PM

Break him Anderson!

by Anonymousreply 185July 13, 2018 5:55 PM

No such luck (and the one who loses oportunities end losing the match). Draper had match points too but Mejía save them

by Anonymousreply 186July 13, 2018 5:57 PM

I hate Isner. He got my hopes up.

by Anonymousreply 187July 13, 2018 5:57 PM

Anderson looks the fresher of the two, but John has to just serve bombs and he'll stay in this match.

by Anonymousreply 188July 13, 2018 6:00 PM

Wimbleton

by Anonymousreply 189July 13, 2018 6:04 PM

Why don't they move the match of those entitled diva to court no 1?

by Anonymousreply 190July 13, 2018 6:04 PM

Damn. This is kind of ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 191July 13, 2018 6:06 PM

STILL BORING.

by Anonymousreply 192July 13, 2018 6:06 PM

These guys are not even serving double faults

by Anonymousreply 193July 13, 2018 6:06 PM

Someone break. Literally dont care who at this point.

by Anonymousreply 194July 13, 2018 6:08 PM

Puig!

by Anonymousreply 195July 13, 2018 6:09 PM

Drape and Mejía are competing with Anderson and Isner, 15-14

by Anonymousreply 196July 13, 2018 6:10 PM

Why are people still watching this? Are you all into BDSM? This would be torture.

by Anonymousreply 197July 13, 2018 6:12 PM

We really need to get to the main event. Can't the fucking tournament just decide to do a tiebreak right now? I'm sure both guys would agree to it. Neither wants to be gassed for the final.

by Anonymousreply 198July 13, 2018 6:12 PM

This match is now irrelevant. There's no way the winner will be competitive on Sunday even if Djokovic and Nadal of a semi hard battle. Which sucks.

by Anonymousreply 199July 13, 2018 6:13 PM

Damn, the whole world is going crazy in England today.

"Sorry, I had a thirty minute appointment with some American couple, carry on boys" says the Queen

by Anonymousreply 200July 13, 2018 6:15 PM

And the worse thing, THE WORST THING, is that the moment Anderson gets the break, you know he won't be able to hold his serve.

by Anonymousreply 201July 13, 2018 6:16 PM

Servebots like Isner ruin tennis

by Anonymousreply 202July 13, 2018 6:19 PM

Isner still loves Trump.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203July 13, 2018 6:22 PM

Isner fucking sucks. He's literally just a serve and is a horribly ambassador for the sport.

by Anonymousreply 204July 13, 2018 6:23 PM

I did not know Anderson played NCAA.

by Anonymousreply 205July 13, 2018 6:25 PM

If this were dynamic and compelling tennis than this would be great and few would complain about how long its lasting. But its not.

by Anonymousreply 206July 13, 2018 6:26 PM

FUCK THIS SHIT!!!

by Anonymousreply 207July 13, 2018 6:30 PM

Heineken, R207?

by Anonymousreply 208July 13, 2018 6:32 PM

I bet whoever wins this will wish there had been a final set tie break.

by Anonymousreply 209July 13, 2018 6:33 PM

Tseng won the junior semifinal 63 61, he will play tomorrow against the winner of Draper- Mejía 18-17 in the third. It's not very difficult to predict who will win the junior boys final

by Anonymousreply 210July 13, 2018 6:33 PM

How many times did Isner start his service game at a 0-30 lead only to serve like 4 bombs straight bombs to close out the game!

by Anonymousreply 211July 13, 2018 6:37 PM

Draper won 19-17.

I think Nole - Rafa match won't even start today

by Anonymousreply 212July 13, 2018 6:38 PM

R211 it's been a few

by Anonymousreply 213July 13, 2018 6:39 PM

Whoa, Isner's speaking voice. He sounds like a dork

by Anonymousreply 214July 13, 2018 6:39 PM

Here is Kevin's chance to close the match.

by Anonymousreply 215July 13, 2018 6:42 PM

Who are the gays in Anderson's box in the back row? They're handsome boys!

by Anonymousreply 216July 13, 2018 6:42 PM

Please hold, Anderson, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!

by Anonymousreply 217July 13, 2018 6:43 PM

Break! Now let's hope R201's scenario does't happen. Again . . .

by Anonymousreply 218July 13, 2018 6:43 PM

OH GOD HE BROKE

by Anonymousreply 219July 13, 2018 6:43 PM

If he is not able to close now i predict they will play till the next mass extinction

by Anonymousreply 220July 13, 2018 6:43 PM

Please, dear god, Anderson; bury Isner on this break!!!!

by Anonymousreply 221July 13, 2018 6:43 PM

I think after this match they should just close the roof and play it like a night match. Of course because that makes sense, the tournament officials will NOT do it.

by Anonymousreply 222July 13, 2018 6:44 PM

I like to imagine that everyone is cheering because they see an end in sight....

by Anonymousreply 223July 13, 2018 6:44 PM

Anderson has been holding comfortably this entire set. If he doesn't end this now... FUCK HIM

by Anonymousreply 224July 13, 2018 6:44 PM

Please hold

by Anonymousreply 225July 13, 2018 6:45 PM

Bury him!

by Anonymousreply 226July 13, 2018 6:46 PM

Excellent, Kevin! Down with the Trumpettes!

by Anonymousreply 227July 13, 2018 6:46 PM

Anderson!

by Anonymousreply 228July 13, 2018 6:47 PM

Finally!

by Anonymousreply 229July 13, 2018 6:47 PM

Finally and end to this shit show, and the deplorable American loses to boot!

by Anonymousreply 230July 13, 2018 6:47 PM

Suck it Isner!

by Anonymousreply 231July 13, 2018 6:47 PM

^an end

by Anonymousreply 232July 13, 2018 6:48 PM

Yay!

by Anonymousreply 233July 13, 2018 6:48 PM

Puig!

by Anonymousreply 234July 13, 2018 6:48 PM

Oh God! Do I love to be proven wrong!

by Anonymousreply 235July 13, 2018 6:49 PM

Kevin is such a classy guys . So much respect for his opponents . Even after such grueling match they embraced at the nets . You will not these thing in WTA. Ekatrina Bychkova was right

by Anonymousreply 236July 13, 2018 6:50 PM

Oh dear, who is that handsome man wearing the navy polo in Anderson's box? Lovely!

by Anonymousreply 237July 13, 2018 6:50 PM

It's curious that in the last years instead of teen prodigies we are getting veterans that suddenly improve. Second GS final for Anderson

by Anonymousreply 238July 13, 2018 6:50 PM

Roof will be CLOSED for Djokovic v Nadal when it starts

by Anonymousreply 239July 13, 2018 6:52 PM

r238, yeah, it's really telling that all of the men's semifinalists are in their 30s.

by Anonymousreply 240July 13, 2018 6:53 PM

Kevin Anderson has now reached two slam finals in the past year and he'll rise to a career high of #5.

by Anonymousreply 241July 13, 2018 6:53 PM

When indeed?

by Anonymousreply 242July 13, 2018 6:53 PM

Hope Anderson has enough in the tank for the final. Needs to do whatever he can to recharge till Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 243July 13, 2018 6:54 PM

r236: That happens in juniors and u16 and u14, the boys can be bratty and even have an aggressive behaviour on court, but once the match ends there's a nice handshake and even a hug. With girls is all and endless drama and bad handshakes.

I was surprised by Lopatcheskaya at les petits as last year, she cried even during the match. I really felt bad for her because she cried after every point lost (even when she was winning). But what surprised me is that after that bratty and child behaviour she was already nice after the matche ended. She was nice with Gauff (who is as good as she is a drama queen) after defeating her, but even more important she was nice after losing the final. I hope they improve her behaviour on court because crowds are going to hate her if she behaves that way, and of course such drama will drain her and her chances (and she seems a good prospect)

by Anonymousreply 244July 13, 2018 6:54 PM

His wife better not demand sex tonight or tomorrow night

by Anonymousreply 245July 13, 2018 6:55 PM

I'm really happy for Anderson. It's not just that I've never liked Isner, but it's also that it was Anderson who took out Federer so it seems right that he should be the one in the final.

by Anonymousreply 246July 13, 2018 6:56 PM

R238

It's the nature of the modern tennis game. Players now need to be at peak physical condition in order to compete now. It'll be increasingly rare for teenagers to have breakthroughs at a grand slam these days, let alone win the whole damn thing. Unless they're physical freaks of nature like Serena.

by Anonymousreply 247July 13, 2018 6:57 PM

Becker was right about Kevin . He told that Kevin won biggest match of his career after 7 hours and all he talked about is John Isner. that show how much of a gentleman Kevin is . He earned so much respect from me

by Anonymousreply 248July 13, 2018 6:59 PM

Yay, the pic jinx worked !

by Anonymousreply 249July 13, 2018 6:59 PM

Tim Henmen looks so good . Becker who is not much old than him looks so old and haggard? What happened ?

by Anonymousreply 250July 13, 2018 7:02 PM

Yes, r248, Anderson is such a gracious winner and genuinely nice guy. I, too, was so impressed with his post-match interview.

by Anonymousreply 251July 13, 2018 7:02 PM

I remember the times where Andres Gomez was considered old to play a GS final when he is just 30.

The problem for teenagers is not physical (with some exceptions, but most juniors are physically strong) the problem is they took a good while to adjust their game. Most of them are able to play high level tennis during a while but not to sustain that level for long, and generally commit a lots of UE. I remember Donald Young when he was considered a big promise and he was incredibly inconsistent, he played fantastic one game and terrible bad the next (of course in Young's case the physical aspect was very importat because he was not tall or strong when he won his junior GS so compete against pros was a big big change)

by Anonymousreply 252July 13, 2018 7:02 PM

[quote] Yay, the pic jinx worked !

If this thread makes it to 600 (which I doubt) by Sunday, I’ll start a new one with the consensus cover boy (likely Nadal or Djokovic) in order to jinx him.

by Anonymousreply 253July 13, 2018 7:02 PM

They already closed the roof

Newport update:

OUT: Isner

IN: Granollers

Next: Young

by Anonymousreply 254July 13, 2018 7:03 PM

I wonder if the roof is high enough for Nadal's banana whipped forehands.

by Anonymousreply 255July 13, 2018 7:26 PM

Where can I watch Kevin's post match interview?

by Anonymousreply 256July 13, 2018 7:26 PM

Djokovic for the jinx please!

by Anonymousreply 257July 13, 2018 7:38 PM

[quote]Who are the gays in Anderson's box in the back row? They're handsome boys!

[quote]Oh dear, who is that handsome man wearing the navy polo in Anderson's box? Lovely!

I don't know who they are, but here's a gif of Anderson's box

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258July 13, 2018 7:42 PM

Is this where we talk about Anderson’s box?

by Anonymousreply 259July 13, 2018 7:43 PM

I know Nole is a great returner but Nadal’s service game is terrible!

by Anonymousreply 260July 13, 2018 7:45 PM

They're already was a Part III thread started (before this one even) with Nole as the coverboy. So Rafa should win.

by Anonymousreply 261July 13, 2018 7:47 PM

I think Nadal is going to end being thankfull the Anderson-Isner match was so long. He is having trouble with every serve

by Anonymousreply 262July 13, 2018 7:47 PM

Nadal is the favorite to win over Nole so is playing with less pressure. i think he will win this.

by Anonymousreply 263July 13, 2018 7:49 PM

Geez, i meant Nole is playing with less pressure.

by Anonymousreply 264July 13, 2018 7:50 PM

R258 That's quite the upper arm blue polo boy is sporting.

by Anonymousreply 265July 13, 2018 7:52 PM

R263: I wouldn't say Nadal is the favourite. On grass Nole is way more consistent and he has even a positive H2h against Nadal. Of course Djokovic came after a not so good season.

But it's true he has less pressure, in my opinion it's not because Nadal is the clear favourite but because losing against Nadal is not the same that losing agains Ceccinatto or Chung. He knows he can win, but if he lost nobody will write articles about how he had fallen (unless he receive a heavy loss)

by Anonymousreply 266July 13, 2018 7:52 PM

Firts big test, serving for the set. Nadal is really good at return to serve, if Djokovic let his nerves control him he could end with his serve broke and that will send Nadal the sign that he is not that confident

by Anonymousreply 267July 13, 2018 7:54 PM

Djokovic DOES look pretty confident. Nadal doesn’t look happy to be there—maybe it’s the roof.

by Anonymousreply 268July 13, 2018 7:58 PM

The roof is supposed to make the court faster wich obviously benefits Djokovic. But i still remember when that happened at the Australian open final and everybody said that benefited Maria Sharapova and the an out of form Serena kicked her ass

by Anonymousreply 269July 13, 2018 8:00 PM

Can someone please tell Nole he doesn't play a clinic?

by Anonymousreply 270July 13, 2018 8:10 PM

Can someone please tell Nole he doesn't play ping pong?

by Anonymousreply 271July 13, 2018 8:12 PM

Oh god, Djokovic in final?

by Anonymousreply 272July 13, 2018 8:14 PM

Djokovic is quite obnoxious.

by Anonymousreply 273July 13, 2018 8:15 PM

Isn't a little bit too soon to say something like that. With Nadal a match is not over till it's over, and they are even in the second set

by Anonymousreply 274July 13, 2018 8:15 PM

Puig pong

by Anonymousreply 275July 13, 2018 8:17 PM

Nole team.

Boobs out!

by Anonymousreply 276July 13, 2018 8:18 PM

Nole recovered pretty fast

by Anonymousreply 277July 13, 2018 8:25 PM

I think there will be some boob action occurring son.

by Anonymousreply 278July 13, 2018 8:26 PM

Ugh, Nadal up a break in the 2nd.

by Anonymousreply 279July 13, 2018 8:26 PM

Go Nadal! Vamos Rafa!

by Anonymousreply 280July 13, 2018 8:29 PM

I love that Nadal has incorporated a crotch tug into his routine.

by Anonymousreply 281July 13, 2018 8:30 PM

This is turning into quite the match.

by Anonymousreply 282July 13, 2018 8:33 PM

Djokovic looks like he's throwing this set. Bad idea. Nadal will be brimming with confidence in the 3rd if that happens.

by Anonymousreply 283July 13, 2018 8:36 PM

Now.....this is tennis. I love when these two go at it. Compared to the borefest we had before, this is heaven

by Anonymousreply 284July 13, 2018 8:44 PM

Hot tall Anderson vs hot tall Isner was like porn.

And I always like seeing Nole and his sexy, lean body.

by Anonymousreply 285July 13, 2018 8:44 PM

[quote] Djokovic came

On my face, please!

by Anonymousreply 286July 13, 2018 8:45 PM

Nadal's ass looks so hot.

by Anonymousreply 287July 13, 2018 8:48 PM

Noooooo!!!!! Come on, Nole. Take out the Spanish OCD spaz!

by Anonymousreply 288July 13, 2018 8:49 PM

Are they going to stop now or are they continue to play till the end?

by Anonymousreply 289July 13, 2018 8:49 PM

GO NADAL

by Anonymousreply 290July 13, 2018 8:49 PM

Does Chris Fowler ever fucking SHUT UP????

by Anonymousreply 291July 13, 2018 8:55 PM

DL loves to hate on Novak, but damn, he has the most beautiful groundstrokes in the game

by Anonymousreply 292July 13, 2018 9:10 PM

There is some great shot-making in this match.

by Anonymousreply 293July 13, 2018 9:16 PM

I agree, r292. His groundstrokes are so crisp and clean. Today, though, he doesn't seem to have the confidence to really crank some aggressive down-the-line backhands.

by Anonymousreply 294July 13, 2018 9:16 PM

R258, nice! Now, we need to know the name of the hunk with the massive guns. Thanks!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295July 13, 2018 9:29 PM

wow he's pretty

by Anonymousreply 296July 13, 2018 9:36 PM

If his demeanor matched the beauty of his ground strokes, then we'd love Djokovic, R292. Well, that and if he got rid of the boobs out embarrassment.

by Anonymousreply 297July 13, 2018 9:38 PM

Is Chris Fowler being compensated by ESPN per word? He never shuts his mouth.

by Anonymousreply 298July 13, 2018 9:42 PM

This match should have been the championship match.

by Anonymousreply 299July 13, 2018 9:43 PM

Have we ever discussed Nole's wife? She is one annoying drama queen! And she needs to eat also.

by Anonymousreply 300July 13, 2018 9:43 PM

R300 She gave the camera a death stare about 5 min ago. I guess she’s as nasty as her husband.

by Anonymousreply 301July 13, 2018 9:47 PM

R301, I suspect that they are both very high-maintenance, very high-strung.

by Anonymousreply 302July 13, 2018 9:49 PM

the grunting is so loud with the roof closed

by Anonymousreply 303July 13, 2018 9:50 PM

this match will not finish tonight

by Anonymousreply 304July 13, 2018 9:54 PM

R300 = Mirka

by Anonymousreply 305July 13, 2018 9:57 PM

A. Zverev

by Anonymousreply 306July 13, 2018 9:57 PM

They should finish it tonight.

by Anonymousreply 307July 13, 2018 10:01 PM

Go Nole!

by Anonymousreply 308July 13, 2018 10:02 PM

That tiebreaker was exhilarating!

by Anonymousreply 309July 13, 2018 10:03 PM

I don't think that's possible. Unless Nole win the fourth very fast (wich i doubt)

by Anonymousreply 310July 13, 2018 10:03 PM

Nole!

by Anonymousreply 311July 13, 2018 10:04 PM

Suspending the match until tomorrow would seem to benefit Rafa. Nole will lose his momentum.

by Anonymousreply 312July 13, 2018 10:04 PM

Nole team

by Anonymousreply 313July 13, 2018 10:06 PM

Where’s ESL?

by Anonymousreply 314July 13, 2018 10:06 PM

Nadal will win it all.

by Anonymousreply 315July 13, 2018 10:07 PM

I think the benefit could go either way, R312. If the match goes to five sets, I believe the night's rest will benefit Djokovic, who I think isn't in as good a shape as Nadal.

by Anonymousreply 316July 13, 2018 10:27 PM

R312: I'm not that sure, it's not like if Nole was dominating right now, the match was very tight. Tomorrow it could go either way

by Anonymousreply 317July 13, 2018 10:29 PM

I just hope both players can pick up the match where they left off, with such high-quality tennis and exciting shot-making.

by Anonymousreply 318July 13, 2018 10:31 PM

Wow, such a treat to watch two of the game's greatest go at it with high quality tennis. That was so much more enjoyable that that servebot borefest earlier.

Tomorrow is a tough call. The rest could benefit Nadal. However, although Nole won the tiebreak, he was looking a bit weary, so perhaps a night's rest will help him come out fresher? We'll see tomorrow. Too bad Federer faded against Anderson. A Federer vs Nadal or Djokovic would have been a worthy final. As it is right now, this match between Djokovic and Nadal is more like the final. Whoever wins will likely take the title.

by Anonymousreply 319July 13, 2018 10:53 PM

Weeeeeeeel seeeeeeeee.

by Anonymousreply 320July 13, 2018 11:04 PM

What a fucking embarrassment John Isner is to America. Is he really the best we've got?

I agree that Nadal or Djoker will most likely win against Anderson.

by Anonymousreply 321July 13, 2018 11:06 PM

Jack Sock is the best American...

Ass wise.

by Anonymousreply 322July 13, 2018 11:10 PM

R321, John Isner is an embarrassment because he supports and loves Trump. After everything that has happened since the election, anyone who still supports Trump is an appalling human being.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 323July 13, 2018 11:10 PM

Not even, 322. Try Michael Mmoh, Mackenzie McDonald, or Francis Tiafoe.

by Anonymousreply 324July 13, 2018 11:42 PM

R322, that is.

by Anonymousreply 325July 13, 2018 11:43 PM

Did you read the second part of my post, R324?

by Anonymousreply 326July 13, 2018 11:46 PM

Yes, R322/R326. Did you read my signature?

by Anonymousreply 327July 13, 2018 11:48 PM

Tommy Paul, Escobedo and especially Tiafoe have way better asses. Tiafoe's is enormous.

by Anonymousreply 328July 13, 2018 11:57 PM

What do you like or not like about Jack Sock’s ass. Analyze it please.

by Anonymousreply 329July 13, 2018 11:58 PM

Isner doesn’t yet meet the Roddick standard of one major win to be in the International Tennis Hall of Fame.

by Anonymousreply 330July 14, 2018 12:00 AM

It's not muscular, only doughy. Very pale. Probably smelly.

by Anonymousreply 331July 14, 2018 12:00 AM

Who? What?

by Anonymousreply 332July 14, 2018 12:52 AM

What time will the Djokovic-Nadal match re-start? There's a rumor that the tournament will make Serena and Angie wait until the men's semi-final is done.

by Anonymousreply 333July 14, 2018 12:56 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 334July 14, 2018 12:58 AM

[quote]What time will the Djokovic-Nadal match re-start?

I read 1.00 PM (London time) on Twitter...the women's final is scheduled 'not before 2.00 PM' so I assume after Nadal & Djokovic have finished

by Anonymousreply 335July 14, 2018 1:03 AM

1:00pm (so 8:00am EST)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 336July 14, 2018 1:04 AM

Isner's IQ appears to be approaching triple digits based on the link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 337July 14, 2018 1:19 AM

He is white privilege exemplified. I loathe him and his Trump-loving ass.

by Anonymousreply 338July 14, 2018 1:23 AM

he's a white southerner

by Anonymousreply 339July 14, 2018 1:25 AM

Has Donnie tweeted his regards to Isner's (not so) stunning loss to Anderson?

by Anonymousreply 340July 14, 2018 2:43 AM

Gimelstob is more annoying in the player's box than he is as a commentator, and that's saying a lot. Fowler is even more annoying though.

by Anonymousreply 341July 14, 2018 3:44 AM

So glad that deplorable scum bag lost in a heartbreaking way. Hopefully he never gets that far at a slam again. He already overachieved by winning Miami

Wimbledon and that stupid curfew rule. Stopping the match when there's a rough is beyond dumb and ruins momentum. Djokovic played pretty well and made Nadal pay for weak second serves

by Anonymousreply 342July 14, 2018 5:05 AM

Do we dislike deplorables or Quislings more?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 343July 14, 2018 6:56 AM

Part II of Nadal v. Djokovic is about to begin!

by Anonymousreply 344July 14, 2018 12:05 PM

They’re back, and the roof is closed.

by Anonymousreply 345July 14, 2018 12:06 PM

Meghan Markle in attendance.

by Anonymousreply 346July 14, 2018 12:10 PM

Meghan and Serena are apparently 'best friends' ie they've met more than once

by Anonymousreply 347July 14, 2018 12:16 PM

Meghan has better taste in husbands than friends.

by Anonymousreply 348July 14, 2018 12:19 PM

Great, both players are starting off looking sharp. It's like a seamless continuation from last night.

by Anonymousreply 349July 14, 2018 12:20 PM

This is such a giant f.u. to the women. I wonder who it might throw off more.

by Anonymousreply 350July 14, 2018 12:29 PM

nadal totally exposed nole in this game

by Anonymousreply 351July 14, 2018 12:31 PM

Uh oh. Djokovic looking very flat when serving and now looking flat on Nadal's serve. Djokovic isn't putting enough sting in his shots and he's hitting it too safely allowing Nadal to tee off. Plus Nadal is hitting the ball beautifully. Nole has got to turn it around or Nadal takes this pretty quickly in two.

by Anonymousreply 352July 14, 2018 12:33 PM

Djokovic seems to have lost his focus and intensity after failing to break Nadal in the first game. I hope he can regroup quickly.

by Anonymousreply 353July 14, 2018 12:34 PM

Djokovic will probably tank this set.

by Anonymousreply 354July 14, 2018 12:35 PM

John Isner is 6 foot 10? Mercy me! (((fans self)))

And Kevin Anderson is 6 foot 8?

*faints*

by Anonymousreply 355July 14, 2018 12:36 PM

I hate Nadal, but man, is he ever volleying well. Bastard.

by Anonymousreply 356July 14, 2018 12:37 PM

I think Nadal's volleying is the most underrated part of his game. He really is quite a fine volleyer.

by Anonymousreply 357July 14, 2018 12:39 PM

After reading the comments i thought Nadal was slaying but they are 3-3

by Anonymousreply 358July 14, 2018 12:44 PM

R358, it really looked like Nadal was going to run away with the set, but then his level dipped a bit and Djokovic quickly regrouped.

by Anonymousreply 359July 14, 2018 12:46 PM

Up and down match so far. Other than the first game, neither has played his best at the same time as the other.

by Anonymousreply 360July 14, 2018 12:51 PM

Novak surrenders another break, but there are probably more breaks coming.

by Anonymousreply 361July 14, 2018 12:55 PM

Fuck, this is going 5 sets. Huge advantage to Nadal.

by Anonymousreply 362July 14, 2018 12:55 PM

I agree, r360. I keep on waiting for both to play well at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 363July 14, 2018 12:57 PM

R362: Why? First, Djokovic defeated Nadal in the last 5 set GS they played, second, it could be an advantage if they play the five sets in the same day but not this way

by Anonymousreply 364July 14, 2018 12:57 PM

I could almost like Isner for his tweet about Anderson and the match.

by Anonymousreply 365July 14, 2018 12:58 PM

R364, if Nadal wins this set, he has the momentum. As a confidence player, I think it'll be advantage Nadal. But I sincerely hope Djokovic wins this.

by Anonymousreply 366July 14, 2018 12:59 PM

Djokovic looks like he's doubting a bit too much. We'll see how he responds in the 5th, but whatever happens, I hope it doesn't go 24-22 or something ridiculous like that.

by Anonymousreply 367July 14, 2018 1:03 PM

R:366 Sorry but that was proved wrong on the previous sets. That kind of thing works with some players, but Nadal and Djokovic are very strong mentally

by Anonymousreply 368July 14, 2018 1:03 PM

Okay, here comes the 5th set. I hope both Nadal and Djokovic play well at the same time like they did last night.

by Anonymousreply 369July 14, 2018 1:03 PM

Both had a lot of trouble with their serves in the fourth

by Anonymousreply 370July 14, 2018 1:06 PM

How long do you suppose the Duchesses will want to sit in that heat and humidity?

by Anonymousreply 371July 14, 2018 1:08 PM

That was stupid of Djokovic to hit his own foot so many time.

by Anonymousreply 372July 14, 2018 1:09 PM

Here's to an excruciatingly long fifth set to even the playing field for Anderson tomorrow. Would love to see him take the whole thing rather than these two temperamental prima donnas.

by Anonymousreply 373July 14, 2018 1:09 PM

Kate is a huge tennis fan. Not sure Meghan even knows what tennis is.

by Anonymousreply 374July 14, 2018 1:10 PM

Anderson is gonna have tired legs. how do you recover after that?

by Anonymousreply 375July 14, 2018 1:10 PM

The temperamental prima donnas know to play tennis, not just serve

by Anonymousreply 376July 14, 2018 1:11 PM

So many unforced errors. Neither player has been able to sustain a high level of play. Mental fatigue from last night?

by Anonymousreply 377July 14, 2018 1:14 PM

Anderson hasn't made it to two GS finals solely on a serve.

by Anonymousreply 378July 14, 2018 1:14 PM

I agree Anderson is more than a servebot.

by Anonymousreply 379July 14, 2018 1:15 PM

No doubt there is some mental fatigue. I think both players probably slept fitfully last night. Nadal sees this as his big opportunity to win yet another Wimbledon after years of crashing out early. Djokovic sees this as his big opportunity to turn the last couple years around and get back to the winner's circle at Slams. There is a lot riding on this match for both of them. It's certainly affecting the level of play today.

by Anonymousreply 380July 14, 2018 1:16 PM

Sorry, but Anderson without his serve wouldn't reach a second week on any GS

by Anonymousreply 381July 14, 2018 1:17 PM

One could argue Isner is more than a servebot going by the amount he served and volleyed yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 382July 14, 2018 1:18 PM

R381 Well obviously it's his big strength but it's not like he can't rally and play other aspects of the game very well.

by Anonymousreply 383July 14, 2018 1:20 PM

If Isner weren't overall execrable.

by Anonymousreply 384July 14, 2018 1:21 PM

Nadal seems to have the edge in this 5th set. Wouldn't he have the edge fitness wise?

by Anonymousreply 385July 14, 2018 1:21 PM

You're probably right, r381, but that's like saying Steffi Graf wouldn't have made it to the second round of a Major without her forehand. I think Anderson's game is more well-rounded than most people give him credit for.

by Anonymousreply 386July 14, 2018 1:21 PM

R383: His all court game is weak, like Isner's game. Raonic is able to do something more but not that much

by Anonymousreply 387July 14, 2018 1:22 PM

Djokovic's wife looks like she might start singing "I dreamed a dream in time gone baaaiiiiiii"

by Anonymousreply 388July 14, 2018 1:22 PM

R386: Wrong comparission. Steffi was way more than her forehand, in fact her backhand is deeply underrated. Yes it was not an offensive skill but it was very uncomfortable to play, specially for tall players

by Anonymousreply 389July 14, 2018 1:23 PM

Yea right, Anderson is nothing but a serve.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 390July 14, 2018 1:25 PM

R387 no hes not an all court player but he is more than just a serve

by Anonymousreply 391July 14, 2018 1:26 PM

R390: I didn't say he was nothing but a serve, i said without that big serve he is a very average player

by Anonymousreply 392July 14, 2018 1:26 PM

You missed my point, r389. My point was that you can take away anyone's primary weapon and then easily claim they wouldn't make it to the 2nd round of a Major, but that doesn't really prove anything about how well-rounded their game really is.

by Anonymousreply 393July 14, 2018 1:28 PM

Some of Anderson's forehands this tournament have been spectacular.

by Anonymousreply 394July 14, 2018 1:28 PM

It seems Nole and Rafa are having less trouble holding their serves in this set

by Anonymousreply 395July 14, 2018 1:29 PM

As evidenced by the former and current links, Anderson is far more than average even without his serve.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 396July 14, 2018 1:32 PM

Sorry, but i watch hideous matches that look amazing watching the highlights

by Anonymousreply 397July 14, 2018 1:34 PM

That was essentially a non sequitur unless you care to take it beyond false equivalence.

by Anonymousreply 398July 14, 2018 1:41 PM

Both players are throwing in some clutch serves to save break points.

by Anonymousreply 399July 14, 2018 1:49 PM

Fucking Djokovic! It was 0-30 with Nadal serving, then Djokovic made two errors to level it at 30-30. Then Nadal hit two fantastic serves. Seems like Djokovic is blowing his break chances, or potential break chances.

by Anonymousreply 400July 14, 2018 1:49 PM

Sithole is a most unfortunate surname.

by Anonymousreply 401July 14, 2018 1:52 PM

Do you know how the orcs first came into being?

by Anonymousreply 402July 14, 2018 1:52 PM

R400, all the drama seems to be happening when Nadal is on serve. Djokovic is generally having an easier time on serve.

by Anonymousreply 403July 14, 2018 1:53 PM

But Djokovic was the one saving break points lately

by Anonymousreply 404July 14, 2018 1:55 PM

And now we have yet another example why they should have a 5th set tiebreaker at Wimbledon (add Australia and the French as well).

by Anonymousreply 405July 14, 2018 1:57 PM

Djokovic is finally using his down-the- line backhand more to open up the court.

by Anonymousreply 406July 14, 2018 1:58 PM

Djokovic blew too many potential break chances. He looks like he's fading now.

by Anonymousreply 407July 14, 2018 2:07 PM

He had potential break chances, but Nadl is the one having break points

by Anonymousreply 408July 14, 2018 2:08 PM

Why would one not want to watch an epic five-setter? Even despite the odd borefest, I really don't understand the wish to end matches. As for today, it's not like women's finals often last much over an hour. The crowd's getting its money's worth for a change.

by Anonymousreply 409July 14, 2018 2:08 PM

Great Djokovic point.

by Anonymousreply 410July 14, 2018 2:11 PM

Given the length of this semi-final, will either finalist have an advantage in terms of being tired tomorrow?

by Anonymousreply 411July 14, 2018 2:12 PM

Djokovic can't buy a first serve.

by Anonymousreply 412July 14, 2018 2:12 PM

Kevin A: a South African with a green card marriage. Quick, search the archives of the Bait Bus. He's gotta be in there somewhere!

by Anonymousreply 413July 14, 2018 2:13 PM

They are grunting worse than some of the women.

by Anonymousreply 414July 14, 2018 2:15 PM

These baseline exchanges are brutal!

by Anonymousreply 415July 14, 2018 2:16 PM

Gutsy hold by Djokovic even though his first serve had deserted him until the last two points.

by Anonymousreply 416July 14, 2018 2:18 PM

Djokovic finally gets a first serve in in the ad court and wins the game. The quality yesterday was better, but I still get fatigued watching these brutal baseline slugfests between Djokovic and Nadal. Djokovic needs to break here and end this thing.

by Anonymousreply 417July 14, 2018 2:18 PM

A tiebreak in the fifth doesn't preclude epic 5 set matches. Going beyond 7-7 or say, 10-10 seems tortuous, unfair to players, and arguably to fans. And in this case and last night, to the players waiting to play on the same court.

Or is that just crazy?

by Anonymousreply 418July 14, 2018 2:21 PM

The net cord is trying to end this.

by Anonymousreply 419July 14, 2018 2:21 PM

This happens to Isner a lot. He is point shaving?

by Anonymousreply 420July 14, 2018 2:22 PM

nole is so tentative right now

by Anonymousreply 421July 14, 2018 2:22 PM

You're spot on, R418.

by Anonymousreply 422July 14, 2018 2:23 PM

That was a really gutsy drop shot by Nadal to save match point.

by Anonymousreply 423July 14, 2018 2:24 PM

Another blown break chance from Nole. I agree, ESL. Nole seems a bit tentative. You can't play not to lose. Djokovic needs to serve better.

by Anonymousreply 424July 14, 2018 2:25 PM

Re the tie break, I like how Wimbledon used to do it at 8 games all for the first four sets. Maybe make that the case for all five sets. Imagine what it was like before 1971 when there were NO tie breaks for any set.

by Anonymousreply 425July 14, 2018 2:27 PM

"Nole" needs to go full boobs out in the next game.

by Anonymousreply 426July 14, 2018 2:29 PM

DJoJo and Nadal, now playing. I can't stand the tension! (I've turned down the sound on my TV, glancing over to it only periodically!)

by Anonymousreply 427July 14, 2018 2:29 PM

When the men grunt it's natural and down to exertion.

When the women do it it's ugly and cheating.

by Anonymousreply 428July 14, 2018 2:31 PM

Oh, that fall was costly.

by Anonymousreply 429July 14, 2018 2:32 PM

Nole!

by Anonymousreply 430July 14, 2018 2:32 PM

YES!!!!!! Incredible win for Djokovic!

by Anonymousreply 431July 14, 2018 2:33 PM

Boobs out!

by Anonymousreply 432July 14, 2018 2:33 PM

Ok, this is the one time that I don't mind the boobs out gesture.

by Anonymousreply 433July 14, 2018 2:33 PM

We just watched the final.

by Anonymousreply 434July 14, 2018 2:33 PM

Nole!!!

by Anonymousreply 435July 14, 2018 2:34 PM

I'll be rooting for Anderson. Can the next thread be the Djokovic jinx thread

by Anonymousreply 436July 14, 2018 2:34 PM

DJoJo!

by Anonymousreply 437July 14, 2018 2:34 PM

Rooting for Anderson in the final but there is probably no chance he'll win. Djokovic is just such a asshat.

by Anonymousreply 438July 14, 2018 2:35 PM

"The boobs out" gesture really has to go.

by Anonymousreply 439July 14, 2018 2:35 PM

And what a match it was. Absolutely withering shots.

by Anonymousreply 440July 14, 2018 2:35 PM

They're interviewing Djokovic now on ESPN. He looks like he might have been crying earlier.

by Anonymousreply 441July 14, 2018 2:37 PM

Anderson team

by Anonymousreply 442July 14, 2018 2:38 PM

Puig!

by Anonymousreply 443July 14, 2018 2:39 PM

I suspect that if Djokovic hadn't had his elbow issues and mental issues the last couple years, Nadal's and Federer's Slam counts would be lower.

Can we gag Chris Fowler for the final tomorrow?

by Anonymousreply 444July 14, 2018 2:39 PM

Can Kevin save the tennis and DL?

by Anonymousreply 445July 14, 2018 2:40 PM

It feels like both Djokovic and Nadal should get trophies for that match.

by Anonymousreply 446July 14, 2018 2:41 PM

OMG yesterday was longest semifinal ever in Wimbledon and today was 2nd longest semifinal of the Wimbledon

by Anonymousreply 447July 14, 2018 2:42 PM

[quote] Can we gag Chris Fowler for the final tomorrow?

From your fingers to “god’s” mind.

by Anonymousreply 448July 14, 2018 2:42 PM

Does anyone know why they have to play under the roof?

by Anonymousreply 449July 14, 2018 2:43 PM

It's "Centre Court." All the big matches are played in Centre Court.

by Anonymousreply 450July 14, 2018 2:44 PM

I volunteer to lick Djokovic's balls in victory.

by Anonymousreply 451July 14, 2018 2:45 PM

Fingers Fortescue.

by Anonymousreply 452July 14, 2018 2:48 PM

They said the ladies' final will we played with the roof open.

by Anonymousreply 453July 14, 2018 2:49 PM

When is the women going to start? I have things to do today.

by Anonymousreply 454July 14, 2018 2:49 PM

Protective gear is mandatory for ball boys tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 455July 14, 2018 2:50 PM

Now, R454.

by Anonymousreply 456July 14, 2018 2:50 PM

I blew off my office job Thursday afternoon and flew to Vegas for 3 hours to bet $250 for Serena and $750 for the other chick. I haven't looked at the tickets to see the potential payouts yet (I will after the match), but I'm hoping the other chick wins. I know, I'm an idiot gambler. At least I played a $25 slot while I was there that won $2,000 and I left with $1,300 plus whatever I win today. lolz

by Anonymousreply 457July 14, 2018 2:52 PM

R457 and how much was your flight?

by Anonymousreply 458July 14, 2018 2:54 PM

Will that snazzy hat help Pam Shriver catch a man?

by Anonymousreply 459July 14, 2018 2:55 PM

Are you going to watch the women's final or an old U.S. Open Djokovic/Wawrinka match on the Tennis Channel?

by Anonymousreply 460July 14, 2018 2:56 PM

so sad. i wanted nadal to win.

by Anonymousreply 461July 14, 2018 2:57 PM

Novak Djokovic "I'm in the FINAL. It is INCREDIBLE"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 462July 14, 2018 2:58 PM

Match Point

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 463July 14, 2018 3:01 PM

r457, what are the odds.

And how much was the ticket to Vegas?

by Anonymousreply 464July 14, 2018 3:04 PM

The boobs out gesture is no more annoying that Agassi's smarmy bow and blown kisses to each corner of the stadium

by Anonymousreply 465July 14, 2018 3:05 PM

Djokovic is such a dick, crying about how he doesn't get a day off while Anderson does, neglecting to mention that Anderson's 26-24 fifth set might have been just a wee bit taxing.

by Anonymousreply 466July 14, 2018 3:07 PM

My flight was only $162, plus $50 for taxis, food, $30 parking. The other chick was -188 and Serena was +200, I think, but I don't know how to calculate the odds. When I purchased the tickets I immediately put them in my wallet backwards, I want to be surprised after the match to see what I won, I imagine it's only about double, but that's fine. The winning amount is written on the front of the ticket.

by Anonymousreply 467July 14, 2018 3:08 PM

That's a low bar when the charm/annoyance factor is a comparison between Agassi and Djokovic.

by Anonymousreply 468July 14, 2018 3:09 PM

People with moles on their face shouldn't be rewarded in life. Put them down.

by Anonymousreply 469July 14, 2018 3:09 PM

Some say Angie is our "sister." Are we rooting for her?

by Anonymousreply 470July 14, 2018 3:11 PM

True, R469. But worse are neck moles.

by Anonymousreply 471July 14, 2018 3:11 PM

Trolls are far worse than moles.

by Anonymousreply 472July 14, 2018 3:12 PM

These jinx threads ruined my whole Wimbledon. It just wasn't the same. I became lonely and depressed that it seemed my Wimbledon experience ended after the first round. It felt like someone...I mean something was missing because of the threads. I didn't get to see my favorite young players. Players I mean. I'm such a fan of the game mostly. Yeah the game. Completely the game.

by Anonymousreply 473July 14, 2018 3:13 PM

Hi Mole, you saucy chocha.

by Anonymousreply 474July 14, 2018 3:13 PM

R449, they played the men's match under the roof because it started under the roof yesterday, to keep the same conditions.

by Anonymousreply 475July 14, 2018 3:15 PM

Tiger Woods jinx in the Serena box.

r467, i see odds are -200 for serena and +range for kerber

are you saying that when you bet Serena was +200 and not the favorite. If so you got shitty odds on Kerber

by Anonymousreply 476July 14, 2018 3:19 PM

The men had the choice to play with the roof or without it, and they had to agree. Nole pushed to keep the roof, to maintain yesterday’s conditions.

by Anonymousreply 477July 14, 2018 3:20 PM

R477, according to the commentators, both Nadal and Djokovic had to agree to open the roof or it would remain closed. So, Nole didn't have to "push" to keep it open. All he had to do was say no. Nadal had to know that's what Nole would say.

by Anonymousreply 478July 14, 2018 3:24 PM

R478, I’m only repeating what the commentators said, that Nole had advocated for the roof, and Nadal had not disagreed with him.

by Anonymousreply 479July 14, 2018 3:27 PM

Serena doesn't have to stick her chest out to be boobs out. She is stacked up top.

by Anonymousreply 480July 14, 2018 3:29 PM

Little off topic but any DL gays from UK tell me that the bbc series The three musketeers is a good watch or not ?I am feeling to lazy to start a thread about that .

by Anonymousreply 481July 14, 2018 3:30 PM

I'm honestly surprised Serena is in the final; didn't think she was ready. The busted draw helped a little bit. Her game looks much better than at the French Open. And, though her ample rack is on full display, her Wimbledon outfit is miles better than the catsuit at the French.

Kerber's good - great defensively and can hit some aggressive shots when need be. And, she has won two Slams, so she's not a deer in the headlights.

by Anonymousreply 482July 14, 2018 3:31 PM

R481, lots of twinkish eye candy, weak writing, weak acting except for Dr. Who.

by Anonymousreply 483July 14, 2018 3:35 PM

Just seeing Tiger in her box makes me want her to lose.

by Anonymousreply 484July 14, 2018 3:40 PM

It’s fun to see Kate and Meghan surrounded by lesbian champions and their partners in the Royal Box. Anyone know who Bartoli was talking to?

by Anonymousreply 485July 14, 2018 3:41 PM

I wonder if they are each rooting for the other player to win. Surely Meghan is rooting for Serena being she went to her wedding. Would Kate perhaps root for the American mother or does she think pick Angie?

by Anonymousreply 486July 14, 2018 3:45 PM

Of course Kate is rooting for the white woman.

by Anonymousreply 487July 14, 2018 3:47 PM

Does Kate send Meghan out to fetch her a snack?

by Anonymousreply 488July 14, 2018 3:48 PM

Serena not moving well at all. Kerber wins the first set.

by Anonymousreply 489July 14, 2018 3:48 PM

r487, why would you say of course. It's a maybe. Mother to mother might make a difference. You've made some strange assumptions about the Future Queen

by Anonymousreply 490July 14, 2018 3:50 PM

Kate's going to make Meghan fan her.

by Anonymousreply 491July 14, 2018 3:50 PM

r488, that is William's job

by Anonymousreply 492July 14, 2018 3:50 PM

Wow, Serena is playing FLAT

by Anonymousreply 493July 14, 2018 3:51 PM

OK. I take that back

by Anonymousreply 494July 14, 2018 3:54 PM

Serena's footwork isn't great. She's reaching too much.

by Anonymousreply 495July 14, 2018 4:05 PM

great point

by Anonymousreply 496July 14, 2018 4:09 PM

NOLE forever! Please get your 13th!

by Anonymousreply 497July 14, 2018 4:11 PM

I'm so happy to see Serena lose in front of her fake BFF Meghan.

by Anonymousreply 498July 14, 2018 4:13 PM

R485,Bartoli is talking to Daniela Hantuchová

by Anonymousreply 499July 14, 2018 4:13 PM

to the poster that flew to Vegas to bet on this match. You need to know if you bet $750 on Kerber as the favorite or not. Because if it was as you posted, you aren't going to do so well.

r498, don't jinx Angie right now, it is not over

by Anonymousreply 500July 14, 2018 4:14 PM

Can kerber finish this off or the load of moment will break her? We have time and time again SEREna coming back from defeat

by Anonymousreply 501July 14, 2018 4:20 PM

great point

by Anonymousreply 502July 14, 2018 4:20 PM

I hate the obligatory fall- to-the-ground-on-your-back-as-soon-as-you-win cliché no matter who does it.

by Anonymousreply 503July 14, 2018 4:24 PM

The guy in the blue shirt is hot. Who is he?

by Anonymousreply 504July 14, 2018 4:25 PM

boooo-yaaaaahhh! I flipped over my ticket and I won $2,100 because Kerber won. Going to the post office to mail my ticket now. Holla!

by Anonymousreply 505July 14, 2018 4:26 PM

I love how Germany beat U.S. right now and I am American.

Love it Angie, back to 2016 form. The good old days 2016

by Anonymousreply 506July 14, 2018 4:31 PM

It helps that Kerber is so nice and likeable. Also, she's pretty unknown for someone who's won three out of four of the Slams.

by Anonymousreply 507July 14, 2018 4:38 PM

Woo! Would've preferred Nadal to Nole, but other results were good.

by Anonymousreply 508July 14, 2018 4:39 PM

Happy for Angie. Nice to see her playing well again after a really miserable 2017 in which she looked totally lethargic and depressed.

by Anonymousreply 509July 14, 2018 4:41 PM

Career Grand Slam for Kerber?

by Anonymousreply 510July 14, 2018 4:41 PM

R510 - Is she any good on clay?

by Anonymousreply 511July 14, 2018 4:43 PM

She lost only one set all tournament (to teenager Claire Liu in the second round). It was a quietly impressive two weeks for her.

by Anonymousreply 512July 14, 2018 4:44 PM

So happy for kerber .Had zero expectation from her.She deserves every bit of her success and more

by Anonymousreply 513July 14, 2018 4:44 PM

i'm glad they show you the inside of the buildings now. They never used to, back when I was growing up.

by Anonymousreply 514July 14, 2018 4:44 PM

Who is this lady?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 515July 14, 2018 4:46 PM

is that her coach ? who is in the white shirt? and blue shirt?

by Anonymousreply 516July 14, 2018 4:47 PM

Wim Fissette, her coach.

by Anonymousreply 517July 14, 2018 4:48 PM

r515, are you joking. That is that Margaret Court bitch.

by Anonymousreply 518July 14, 2018 4:49 PM

Congratulations, R505.

by Anonymousreply 519July 14, 2018 4:50 PM

When Kerber was on the balcony presenting her trophy to the crowd, there was a fat guy with a St. Olaf t-shirt. Is he a DLer?

by Anonymousreply 520July 14, 2018 4:50 PM

Serena was horrible today lol. Her movement was woeful as was her return-of-serve. She let Kerber coast with those weak serves! That's un-Serena-like. It's still incredible that she was able to reach the final though given that she only came back on tour in March and had her baby last September with complications.

Kerber's defense was impressive as usual. She seems like a nice girl so I don't mind her winning. I'd rather her than Halep or Wozniacki again.

SO glad Djokovic took out Nadal. Now I want Anderson to win the ment's title

by Anonymousreply 521July 14, 2018 4:51 PM

Random thought - aren’t Steffi Graf fans on message boards some of the most annoying people ever or is it just me ?

by Anonymousreply 522July 14, 2018 4:51 PM

R522 - Sharapova fans are the worst

by Anonymousreply 523July 14, 2018 4:52 PM

of course, Serena can't move well, she is fat, out of shape.

by Anonymousreply 524July 14, 2018 4:55 PM

Kerber has now defeated Serena twice in GS finals. Has anyone else done it before, other than Venus?

Is there a list of players who defeated Serena multiple times in majors?

by Anonymousreply 525July 14, 2018 4:56 PM

RG might be a reach for Kerber. She doesn't move that great on clay and she doesn't like high bounces.

by Anonymousreply 526July 14, 2018 4:57 PM

Sorry for Serena losing, but at least she made it to the final. The older she has gotten, the more impressed I've been with her.

I almost don't care about the Men's final tomorrow; will be waiting for World Cup. Good luck to Anderson, I guess, since I've never warmed up to Novak.

by Anonymousreply 527July 14, 2018 4:59 PM

Serena is in the press room right now and she looks like she has a moustache lol

by Anonymousreply 528July 14, 2018 5:01 PM

R521 who could have thought Wozniacki would become more and more bitter after finally winning a grand slam?

by Anonymousreply 529July 14, 2018 5:02 PM

Wozniacki's issue is she felt entitled to a slam after being No. 1 and winning so many other titles.

She's insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 530July 14, 2018 5:09 PM

R530, exactly.

Her nickname being "sunshine" is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 531July 14, 2018 5:11 PM

r523 Sharapova and Serena's fans. Can't tell which are worse and more obsessed.

by Anonymousreply 532July 14, 2018 5:19 PM

Serena's fans can be pretty bad. They can't handle any critique of Serena.

by Anonymousreply 533July 14, 2018 5:21 PM

I am gutted for Rafa.

To the next OP, please use Djokovic's picture for the jinx.

by Anonymousreply 534July 14, 2018 5:23 PM

so glad the Federer/Nadal 6 slam stranglehold on the ATP has come to an end. Djokovic is of course part of the big 3 but I'd rather him right now than those 2. Hopefully the USO will give us a young first time male winner. It's beyond time

by Anonymousreply 535July 14, 2018 5:27 PM

R534 we probably won’t have a new thread for Wimbledon.

Or would we?

by Anonymousreply 536July 14, 2018 5:31 PM

The "Sunshine" nickname for Wozniacki came when she was younger and not so much of a cunt. Then she became besties with Serena, and picked up an attitude.

by Anonymousreply 537July 14, 2018 5:33 PM

Was Serena friends with Meghan before she married Harry?

by Anonymousreply 538July 14, 2018 5:46 PM

R536, we probably will if the A, B, C. Zverev, Puig and Nole trolls visit.

R535, I used to be a fan of Djokovic before his uncontrolled anger and overall insufferable nature overtook his tennis old age. I'd rather see the title go to Rafa.

by Anonymousreply 539July 14, 2018 5:55 PM

I do like that Sock gives doubles a good go; so few top players do these days.

by Anonymousreply 540July 14, 2018 5:59 PM

That BITCH!

by Anonymousreply 541July 14, 2018 6:01 PM

R540 Because top players don't always lose in the early rounds of the tournaments.

by Anonymousreply 542July 14, 2018 6:07 PM

R525: Garbiñe defeated Serena two times at GS, but only one was in a final. Serena is a legend, but it's impossible that she is at a good level now. Of course, she was way worse at RG and she reached 4th round. Kerber was probably the worst oponent for her, Angie likes to construct the points, it's a great defensive player but has offensive weapons.

And sorry, but Williams fans are terrible on forums, they disrespect any player no matter how great they were. I try not to read those forums because i tend to forget that i really like Serena after three or four messages disrespecting Seles, Graf or Henin achievements

by Anonymousreply 543July 14, 2018 6:11 PM

Enough of them do, R542, and then they jet off. It's a reasonable assumption that Sock actually likes playing doubles, surely. I don't like him at all, but that seems clear. Plus, he's actually good at doubles. I don't remember people sneering at Peter Fleming or Eric Van Dillen because they did better in doubles.

by Anonymousreply 544July 14, 2018 6:32 PM

The Serena v Henin fan rivalry is the absolute worst. Possibly only topped by the Serena v Sharapova fan rivalry.

I'm mainly talking about tennisforum.com but it does seem to extend to every message board or comments section on the internet.

by Anonymousreply 545July 14, 2018 6:34 PM

It's odd but I feel like the 2018 Wimbledon is done already and we have yet to play the men's final, LOL.

by Anonymousreply 546July 14, 2018 7:05 PM

R546 Shows you what will happen if the next gen continues to disappoint and does not produce any big name or rivalry. The interest in tennis is going to drop significantly once Fed & Nadal are retired, this is unavoidable, but with the current state of play it might be harded than expected.

by Anonymousreply 547July 14, 2018 7:38 PM

[quote] we probably will if the A, B, C. Zverev, Puig and Nole trolls visit.

What's "A, B, C. Zverev"?

by Anonymousreply 548July 14, 2018 7:42 PM

[quote] That BITCH! —Popsicle

Why did Sock and Popsicle break up their doubles partnership? I haven't heard seen much of Popsicle lately.

by Anonymousreply 549July 14, 2018 7:45 PM

John McEnroe used to take doubles quite seriously when he was a top singles player and partnered with Peter Fleming. I'm sure Fleming didn't mind he was a better doubles player. They won many a major together.

by Anonymousreply 550July 14, 2018 7:46 PM

what really needs to happen is for the next gen guys to beat the big 3 at the slams. This will give them more fame and respect with the public.

by Anonymousreply 551July 14, 2018 7:47 PM

Which ones do you consider the next gen guys that have "it" to take it to the level of the big four?

by Anonymousreply 552July 14, 2018 7:50 PM

I wonder whether Murray will recover enough to win another major. It would be weird if Federer and Nadal retired, and Murray and Nole won a series of majors.

by Anonymousreply 553July 14, 2018 7:51 PM

Sock wanted to focus on singles. He's never been in good shape so playing best of 5 at the slams + doubles wore him out easily and he broke up their very successful partnership. Popsicle, on the other hand, isn't good enough to just focus on singles and wanted to continue doubles. He now plays with Harrison.

by Anonymousreply 554July 14, 2018 7:51 PM

Sock is only back to doubles because he's on a horrendous losing singles streak. If he were doing as well as last year he wouldn't be doing it.

by Anonymousreply 555July 14, 2018 7:56 PM

I hope Coric can become one of the top players. He is the hottest player on tour and it would be nice to see his face all the time.

by Anonymousreply 556July 14, 2018 7:56 PM

If Zverev can solve his slam issues and going 5 sets so often he can win slams. Tiafoe and Shapovalov are also immensely talented but not quite consistent enough yet.

I don't think Donaldson is anything that special.

Khachanov has a ton of power but his forehand can break down.

Coric is like Djokovic-lite. He could also be a big threat to win big titles.

by Anonymousreply 557July 14, 2018 7:57 PM

Maybe, R547, but there are those of us like me who are sick to death of Fedal and Djokovic. I'd have skipped the final if it had been two of those three.

I think we'll see the Next Gen step up by next year. Against Khachanov, Tiafoe was playing lights out tennis in the third round before he got injured. Tsitsipas also seems ready to break through to the next level. A. Zverev and Coric still remain big question marks in the Slams, as they seem to lose their focus when playing 3 out of 5 in fairly quick sequence. Mmoh, Escobedo, Fritz and Rublev are even bigger question marks. I'm on the Coric train for obvious reasons, also Tiafoe, Tsitsipas, and Mmoh.

by Anonymousreply 558July 14, 2018 7:59 PM

It'll also be interesting to see how buddies Shapovalov and Auger-Aliassime fare in the next couple of years.

by Anonymousreply 559July 14, 2018 8:03 PM

I haven 't watched Escobedo play yet.

What does his ass look like?

by Anonymousreply 560July 14, 2018 8:05 PM

I think Cljsters beat Serena in slams twice too

by Anonymousreply 561July 14, 2018 8:12 PM

Exhibit A, R560...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 562July 14, 2018 8:14 PM

Henin beat Serena four times at slams. Twice at the French, once at Wimbledon and once at the US Open.

None of these were in finals though.

by Anonymousreply 563July 14, 2018 8:16 PM

There are a good bunch of talented players, but as Nadal proves again and again a tennis player is way more than his shots. By now Zverev is the best by far but unless he is able to overcome his problems at GS he won't be a threat soon. I think the only think that he needs is good two weeks and take that pressure off his shoulders. He is consistent the rest of the year, so probably he'll be a top player (if he is injury free) for years and years, if he is able to be a great champion is a question of time (but probably not much time, because if he doesn't step up next year i doubt he'll be a multiple time GS champion). Shapovalov has the skills, but god i hate his on court attitude, too aggressive for my taste. He, Tsitsipas, de Miñaur, Auger-Allisime, Kuhn (if he is able to return to form after the injury) all are very young and have time. Tsitsipas and Shapovalov are high on the rankings so maybe they are able to break soon. Others like Rublev or Tiafoe, have the potential but are inconsistent right now. And the older ones, Khachanov, Coric, they could break or became the Berdych, Dimitrov, Nishikori of that era. Coric could be very popular if he reach the next level

by Anonymousreply 564July 14, 2018 8:22 PM

In fact Justine defeated Serena three consecutive times the same year in three different surfaces. That could have been the rivaldry the wta needed, because both were tough and the contrast of styles make their matches very attractive. Unfortunately they seem unable to be at the top of their game at the same time, and that made that they only had one GS final (after Justine returned from her retirment)

by Anonymousreply 565July 14, 2018 8:25 PM

Interesting that you call out Shapovalov's attitude and aggression, R564, but not Zverev's. Of all the players you've listed, Zverev's (A., troll) stinks to highest heaven.

by Anonymousreply 566July 14, 2018 8:26 PM

Rublev made a QF of a slam, so I wouldn't forget him. Others would be Tsitsipas, Shapovalov, de Minaur, Tiafoe, Khachanov and Fritz.

Plus Zvereva and Coric but they are already playing at a very high level.

by Anonymousreply 567July 14, 2018 8:29 PM

It seems like we should add McDonald to that group even though he's a little long in the tooth at 23.

by Anonymousreply 568July 14, 2018 8:31 PM

R565 - Their rivalry was ramped up by the personal stuff too; they really didn't like each other at all.

by Anonymousreply 569July 14, 2018 8:32 PM

R566 Zverev is bratty and cocky, but Shapovalov had that body language, those screams, sorry he remind me a lot of Lleytton Hewitt who is a player i can't stand. Anyway Shapovalov is very young and i love his game, i think he has a lot of potential, but i wouldn't mind if he toned down a bit.

Anyway, a lot of male juniors show a lot of aggresivity on court (even when they are friendly after playing). I have to admit that i prefer more relaxed players like Federer, there's no need to scream or fist pump at every point, but right now it's something that almost every player does

R569: Yes, they really disliked each other but that makes an even better rivaldry. I think those feelings were a lot more relaxed after Justine came back (maybe Serena missed someone who really challenged her)

by Anonymousreply 570July 14, 2018 8:59 PM

[quote] Yes, they really disliked each other but that makes an even better rivaldry.

Navratilova and Evert liked each other and were personal friends, but their rivalry was among the best ever. I think you're generally correct though.

by Anonymousreply 571July 14, 2018 9:05 PM

Shopbottom

by Anonymousreply 572July 14, 2018 9:06 PM

Jack Sock and Mike Bryan just won the Men's Doubles!

by Anonymousreply 573July 14, 2018 9:09 PM

aggressivity?

by Anonymousreply 574July 14, 2018 9:17 PM

Shopbottom at home in the Bahamas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 575July 14, 2018 9:36 PM

The Muppet version of Shopbottom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 576July 14, 2018 9:41 PM

Colombia's Robert Farah, who played at Wimbledon this year, was on Friday banned for three months and fined $5,000 after promoting a gambling website on social media, the Tennis Integrity Unit (TIU) announced. However, the 31-year-old, a runner-up at the Australian Open this year in men's doubles with compatriot Juan Sebastian Cabal, had his punishment suspended on the basis that no further breaches of the Tennis Anti-Corruption Program (TACP) are committed within the three months. The TIU said that in February, Farah posted a tweet endorsing an online betting company, in contravention of anti-corruption rules. "When contacted by the Tennis Integrity Unit, Farah removed the post, apologised for his error and co-operated fully with the investigation," said a TIU statement.

by Anonymousreply 577July 14, 2018 9:44 PM

I REALLY hope during the USO series this summer we see a bitchfest of a match between Djokovic and A. Zverev. They only played once before. Now that Djokovic is getting his game back (regardless of what happens in tomorrow's final), there could be fireworks if he faces Zverev. They'll both be pumping themselves up, yelling at umpires if they don't like a call and possibly even each other.

by Anonymousreply 578July 14, 2018 10:27 PM

Sure, R578, let's have them wear roller skates and try to wallop each other at the net with their rackets while we're at it.

by Anonymousreply 579July 14, 2018 10:38 PM

Serena and her husband have said she's just getting started. Just getting started? I know its referring to her coming back but shes almost 37. Maybe she'll play till shes forty but after that age should be too much of a factor. I guess she might get three or so more majors.

by Anonymousreply 580July 14, 2018 10:48 PM

I would love for them to play each other, R578, but I think them yelling at each other is unlikely. They seem to be on very friendly terms

Exhibit 1:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 581July 14, 2018 10:56 PM

Exhibit 2:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 582July 14, 2018 10:59 PM

what time is it on tomorrow? in the usa?

by Anonymousreply 583July 14, 2018 11:07 PM

R583 9 AM EST just like the ladies' final. ESPN made a boo boo by just captioning it as the mixed doubles final lol

by Anonymousreply 584July 15, 2018 3:18 AM

New thread. Djokovic is the jinx cover boy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 585July 15, 2018 3:23 AM

Let’s go Nole let’s go!

by Anonymousreply 586July 15, 2018 3:24 AM

Capriati beat Serena in 4 majors too, on 3 different surfaces. On clay twice, grass and US hard courts.

by Anonymousreply 587July 15, 2018 3:26 AM
by Anonymousreply 588July 15, 2018 3:29 AM
by Anonymousreply 589July 15, 2018 3:29 AM
by Anonymousreply 590July 15, 2018 3:29 AM
by Anonymousreply 591July 15, 2018 3:29 AM
by Anonymousreply 592July 15, 2018 3:29 AM
by Anonymousreply 593July 15, 2018 3:29 AM
by Anonymousreply 594July 15, 2018 3:29 AM
by Anonymousreply 595July 15, 2018 3:30 AM
by Anonymousreply 596July 15, 2018 3:30 AM
by Anonymousreply 597July 15, 2018 3:30 AM
by Anonymousreply 598July 15, 2018 3:30 AM
by Anonymousreply 599July 15, 2018 3:30 AM
by Anonymousreply 600July 15, 2018 3:30 AM

Whak?

by Anonymousreply 601July 15, 2018 3:31 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!