Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Wimbledon Part III

Gird your loins.

Rafa vs. Nole Anderson vs. Jizzner

Serena vs. Kerber

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15July 12, 2018 5:50 PM

Will Nole's anger management issues continue his inspired play?

by Anonymousreply 1July 12, 2018 4:33 PM

Someone mentioned doping in the other thread. I posted this in Thread II. Thought I'd repost here since this was the penultimate posting in that thread:

I'm not sure what to think about PEDs in tennis. Serena has been accused of juicing, so has Nadal, Henin was plagued by those rumors and ultimately retired early. I'm inclined to think they're probably all taking something. There were many rumors that Djokovic finally started doping when he had his marvelous 2011, and that he did it knowing Nadal was doing it. But so far in tennis, at least at the upper echelons, there are only rumors.

Rumors, though, often lead to finally getting evidence. Lance Armstrong is the lead example. Marion Jones is another.

But rumors don't always lead to definitive proof. To this day, although never proven, most people think Florence Griffith Joyner was doping, and it's hard not to think that she was given her records from 1988 are still standing, and the only time they were threatened was by Marion Jones, a confessed doper. Also Griffith Joyner retired in 1989 when it was announced that random, out-of-competition drug testing would be the new norm. Her untimely death at age 38 due to an epileptic seizure, too, was labeled suspicious, but the autopsy didn't find any evidence of PED use.

Michelle Smith, the Irish swimmer who stunned everyone in 1996 by winning several golds seemingly out of nowhere, never tested positive for a banned substance. However, she was banned for 4 years for allegedly tampering with a urine sample, and her husband and trainer, a Dutch discus thrower, had been suspended from his sport due to steroid use. She remarkably improved her times after training exclusively with her juicer husband. She's probably a doper.

by Anonymousreply 2July 12, 2018 4:42 PM

People only accuse Serena of juicing because of how good she is. She is tested far more than other athletes and never failed. No one ever accused Sharapova of juicing and she actually has failed a test (though not for steroids or something similar)

No reason to think Serena is juicing unless you think everyone is. We have more evidence she is not than we have for most players

by Anonymousreply 3July 12, 2018 4:45 PM

I don't know who to root for among the men. Maybe Nadal.

I'm content with either Angie or Serena.

by Anonymousreply 4July 12, 2018 4:50 PM

Meghan Markle to grace the Royal Box to watch the ladie's final.

by Anonymousreply 5July 12, 2018 4:53 PM

*sigh* idea of two Americans winning Wimbledon is too appealing to me. I unfortunately will root for Isner, but I'm not proud of it.

by Anonymousreply 6July 12, 2018 4:54 PM

I guess most pro athletes in the big sports have done a good bit of doping, and the doping from youth and childhood isn't shown in tests, only recent doping.

by Anonymousreply 7July 12, 2018 4:54 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 12, 2018 4:59 PM

There are two threads where should I yap in my horrible English ? this one or the other one ?Decide which is official ?

by Anonymousreply 9July 12, 2018 5:10 PM

My vote is for this one

by Anonymousreply 10July 12, 2018 5:11 PM

Do you think Maria S was the only on doping ? C'mon.

Of course Serena never tested positive because she turned the testers away when she didn't want to be tested, even calling 911 ffs.

Nadal definitely doped. He could be doping again.

But none of these people can be exposed because who will watch tennis then? $$$ talks. Didn't they cover up Andre Agassi's drug use?

by Anonymousreply 11July 12, 2018 5:21 PM

R11, they did cover up Agassi's drug use, but it was for crystal meth, not a performance enhancing drug. Still, the sport's authorities would definitely have an incentive to hush up any doping done by top players or forever tarnish the sport.

by Anonymousreply 12July 12, 2018 5:25 PM

Daria Kasatkina said all young Russian athletes were on Melodonium at some point. So Maria wasn't the only one taking that stuff for example.

by Anonymousreply 13July 12, 2018 5:31 PM

i don't think there is a clean sport honestly.

by Anonymousreply 14July 12, 2018 5:49 PM

Your evidence for doping has to be more than "I think Serena's doping"

by Anonymousreply 15July 12, 2018 5:50 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!