Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

POSE Thread Two

Continue the discussion of Ryan Murphy’s show about vogueing and Trans and Trump

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 539August 8, 2019 11:20 PM

Link to Thread One

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 11, 2018 11:57 AM

Much obliged, OP!

by Anonymousreply 2July 11, 2018 12:03 PM

I've seen reviewers praising Janet Mock's direction and I can see why when I rewatch the episode. That full-face shot of Angel at the end was stunning. Speaking of Angel, I was reminded of Degas' painting L'Absinthe during that diner scene. She just looks like she's been doing this prostitution thing for about a hundred years now and is just so fed up with it all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 11, 2018 12:19 PM

Angel's breakdown with Stan came too fast and was a bit trumped up and arbitrary. Stan had been a dream John (a bit unrealistically in my experience) and Angel has a stampy feet fit displacing her own self- revulsion onto him - but what had he done so dramatically wrong. It was of course Angel who figured out that she didn't want to be kept in this way. I don't think it was her best option - walking away. When she was in that paid apartment - she could have taken any old service/retail job if she also wanted to work, and just make her life better as a mistress who can NOT expect her lover on XMAS, obviously, realistically. DUH.

by Anonymousreply 4July 11, 2018 12:29 PM

I also thought it came out of nowhere at first but her speech in the last episode revealed that it was about all sorts of things, not just about him playing with her dick. Must be pretty dehumanizing to be someone's kept plaything like that, especially after you had already learned to earn your own money. I imagine even having someone provide you with an apartment (which they can take away after a year) wouldn't be worth it for most people.

by Anonymousreply 5July 11, 2018 12:37 PM

The hall in "the Evangelista residence" is a mile long with seemingly many many rooms opening off it. Impressive for a manicurist in the 80's. Rents were too damned high in the 80's as well!

by Anonymousreply 6July 11, 2018 12:43 PM

I’ve been in apartments in Harlem that were that big and cheap. There must be a back story to the apartment because they’re supposed to be evicted next week!

by Anonymousreply 7July 11, 2018 12:55 PM

I also didn't get Angel's sudden indignation over her relationship with Evan Peters. And I honestly don't think a transgender sex worker who was given the gift of a midtown condo would walk away from that so suddenly just because she thinks her boyfriend's more interested in her dick than her.

But they had to move the plot along, so I guess they had to accelerate the relationship breakdown.

by Anonymousreply 8July 11, 2018 1:33 PM

The price of having just eight episodes, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 9July 11, 2018 1:39 PM

Did you guys miss the part where Stan revealed he had a fetish for “chicks with dicks” prior to meeting Angel & that’s why she was mad?

by Anonymousreply 10July 11, 2018 4:21 PM

What the hell did she imagine? Of course he had a fetish for chicks with dicks and she was trying to police his fascination with her big one. Which she hates. But if she chops it off, bye bye handsome fucks. That is their lot in life. Even today.

by Anonymousreply 11July 11, 2018 4:24 PM

But Stan picked up Angel on the street, he couldn't have known she had a dick til they got to the hotel.

by Anonymousreply 12July 11, 2018 4:28 PM

r10 We know he revealed that, it was just bizarre how she complained about it all of a sudden in that episode prior to the reveal. Also, why punish someone for their sexual preference? Just say "I understand but I'm not into being anyone's kink, so goodbye and thanks for providing this warm apartment for me." That freakout was too over the top for me and seemingly came out of nowhere. Could be written better, that's all.

by Anonymousreply 13July 11, 2018 4:29 PM

he knew

by Anonymousreply 14July 11, 2018 4:30 PM

Though I think the writing for this show is all over the place, I think the freakout was effectively explained in the scene between Angel and Stan's wife. “Everything I can’t have in this world is because of what I have down there. If you really want to know who I am, that is the last place you should look.”

Angel hates her genitalia and hates the fact that it's what Stan wants.

by Anonymousreply 15July 11, 2018 4:39 PM

I guess that shit was simmering inside her and exploded all of a sudden, which made it seem like it came out of nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 16July 11, 2018 4:42 PM

She fooled herself into thinking Stan viewed her as a woman because he said that he did. That’s all she wanted. I understand her perspective.

by Anonymousreply 17July 11, 2018 5:06 PM

Stan sees her as a woman with a dick. It excites him. People are so greedy. They find some who wants them exactly for who they are and yet they can't be content.

by Anonymousreply 18July 11, 2018 5:50 PM

I wonder if people referred to them as “Dudes with Boobs” if guys would find them so sexually appealing.

Because there is no such thing as a chick with a dick.

by Anonymousreply 19July 11, 2018 5:53 PM

Don't be pedantic and try to rewrite history. That's what everyone said at the time. Tranny. Or chick with dick. The end. That's the way it was. It was less complicated and polemical than now. I was in that scene.

by Anonymousreply 20July 11, 2018 5:56 PM

On the one hand, "chicks with dicks" seems to be their way of coping with the fact that they crave cock, but they don't want to be identified as homosexuals. On the other hand, that's kinda exactly what Angel is - a woman who just so happens to have been born with a penis. So they aren't that far off, even if for totally wrong reasons.

I don't know, this kink is too confusing for me to grasp my head around. Maybe they're all just straight guys who crave something unusual and taboo. That's also a thing, right?

by Anonymousreply 21July 11, 2018 5:59 PM

The show is a humorless, earnest fantasia with no resemblance of the reality. The writer clearly didn't do his research and is just turning a time and a place into a Disney villain fable.

by Anonymousreply 22July 11, 2018 6:01 PM

Actually, Janet Mock is one of the writers/producers/directors and she lived it as a trans woman of color herself.

by Anonymousreply 23July 11, 2018 6:05 PM

R21 did you watch the show? Dominique's man (Meloni) explained it early on. That he can have everything and yes its taboo so he thats what gets him off. I never went with trannies, I was gay and fucked drag queens sometimes and went to tranny bars with them. The guys there into chicks and with dicks didn't have much in common with gay guys. They were tranny chasers. Its just easiest to label them as such rather than straight or closeted gay or bi. They were into chicks with dicks - trannies.

The last couple of years all this is being somehow rewritten by todays transgenders. Everyone makes it so complicated and there are so many varieties and little cliques who think their vision is the only vision of things.

And R22 what is lacking for "reality" in your opinion? This isn't a documentary its a fictional period piece tv series.

by Anonymousreply 24July 11, 2018 6:52 PM

A woman with a penis would be a medical anomaly. Some females are born with mal-formed genitals but no female has ever been born with a full-functioning penis.

But any dude can take hormones and get breast implants. There’s nothing special or unique about that. All you need is cash.

by Anonymousreply 25July 11, 2018 7:02 PM

can't you take to another website sweetie R25. Everyone got your arguments a year ago. Plus Pose is OBVIOUSLY not the series for you and its been discussed in an entire complete thread, without any of your SKREE SKREE SKREE. Miraculously. So why don't you just FUCK off, you mentally ill TROLL.

by Anonymousreply 26July 11, 2018 7:06 PM

^^^TRIGGERED. i hope the wife packs her bags too! I looked to my boyfriend and said the same thing r596.

by Anonymousreply 27July 12, 2018 12:48 AM

The wife's gonna ask Angel to get her a job at Show World.

by Anonymousreply 28July 12, 2018 2:41 AM

The people that railed against “Paris Is Burning” spoke about a “white gaze” where white view this world from a white perspective and as entertainmening, not especially being considerate that the movies’ subjects. As careful and respectful as “Pose” as been, it is not a documentary! but fiction. I think it’s easy to apply a “millennial gaze” upon these old issues rather than realize the iPhone in your pocket has more power than all of NASA did in the 80’s and that people took their lumps with very little support and didn’t have resources we do today to affect positive change.

Maybe just enjoy the show!

by Anonymousreply 29July 12, 2018 1:26 PM

R29 ???

by Anonymousreply 30July 12, 2018 1:31 PM

Just enjoy the show.

by Anonymousreply 31July 12, 2018 4:45 PM

The trans back then did not look like Janet Mock. And I see we no longer value the woman-trapped-in-man's body as its own entity. Instead, it has to be butchered into female form -- maybe God had a plan for this unique creature that didn't involve plastic surgery but a unique third sex. Instead, everything has to be binary -- male or female. WTF. It's actually very unimaginative and conservative in a way. If you can think hard enough.

by Anonymousreply 32July 12, 2018 4:55 PM

Bell Hooks on the “white gaze”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 12, 2018 5:20 PM

R32 trans is from Satan. It's a game of deception, confusion, and chaos. Satan is the father of all lies. But, it's all apart of the prophecy. There is nothing we can do about it.

by Anonymousreply 34July 12, 2018 8:49 PM

R34 mmmmkkaaayyyy

by Anonymousreply 35July 12, 2018 10:05 PM

r34 Please get professional help.

by Anonymousreply 36July 12, 2018 10:30 PM

ITS THE ANTI BALL SHOW CAUSE IT CUMS CROSS AS

FAKE 'FAKE' FAKE'

by Anonymousreply 37July 12, 2018 10:35 PM

Renewed!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38July 12, 2018 10:39 PM

FANTASTIC!!!! Thanks, R38!

by Anonymousreply 39July 12, 2018 11:29 PM

r38 That makes me so happy!

It's been getting As every week from the AV Club. Although that pre-air B+ for the first four episodes is looking pretty incongruent now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40July 13, 2018 1:04 AM

[bold]Ryan Murphy Praises ‘Pose’ Director Janet Mock, Says FX Drama Has Been “The Highlight Of My Career”[/bold]

[quote]Murphy was speaking during a panel discussion that included Janet Mock, the first trans woman of color to ever direct a television show.

[quote]Describing the process of making Pose as “very moving”, Murphy said it meant so much to him he’d decided to donate all his profits back into the community; to trans and LGBTQ non-profit organizations. In addition, Murphy has been running his Half Foundation, an equality initiative, for more than two years.

[quote]“For so long the business has been controlled by straight white men over 50,” he said, “who like to reward and mentor the vision that they see, which is themselves…The right thing is the word ‘half’. Half women, half men, that’s the way it should be. So I created this thing called the Half initiative, and the idea is that half of the directorial slots are women, minorities, gay people. And actually I think in our company now it’s 65%, and it’s been an amazing thing and it’s also not hard to do.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41July 13, 2018 12:02 PM

That's nice that FX renewed it in spite of poor ratings.

by Anonymousreply 42July 13, 2018 3:41 PM

Wonder what season 2s plot will be about? Where else can they take this show?

by Anonymousreply 43July 13, 2018 3:45 PM

[quote]Where else can they take this show?

Anywhere!

There are myriad (amazing, tragic, compelling, scary, powerful) places this show can go.

They've got a huge cast of characters with diverse story arcs, and have only scratched the surface of any of them. There is easily multiple seasons' worth of material ripe for the picking.

by Anonymousreply 44July 13, 2018 4:02 PM

If they managed to wring six seasons and two movies out of four white straight women on Sex and the City, I'm pretty sure the sky's the limit when it comes to a group of gay and trans PoC in the late 80s NYC ballroom scene.

by Anonymousreply 45July 13, 2018 5:21 PM

Ball music has been forgotten. Here is Gorillaz's Lake Zurich from a few weeks ago, and I hear it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46July 13, 2018 8:22 PM

So one of my program guides says House of Evangelista is getting evicted and the other says House of Abundance is getting evicted. I'm more inclined to believe it's Abundance since Meloni will more than likely pull the plug on any money he's been giving Dominique after he finds out she cut off her goodies.

by Anonymousreply 47July 13, 2018 8:43 PM

It would be better if it was Abundance and they came begging to Evangelista's door.

by Anonymousreply 48July 13, 2018 8:50 PM

It has to be Abundance -- having them suffer from a sudden *lack* of abundance makes the most sense and would be the more interesting choice. Kicking Evangelista when so many in the house are already down would just be mean.

Also, the promo for episode #7 (see link) features Meloni's character angrily telling Electra that she's "ruined this." So, as R47 points out, it would follow that he'd probably pull his funding.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49July 13, 2018 11:02 PM

The vogueing each episode is getting boring. House 1 wins or House 2 wins—we get it already.

Will every episode in Season 2 bring it to the ball? What else holds these characters together if they aren’t vogueing each week? I guess we’ll find out next year.

by Anonymousreply 50July 13, 2018 11:40 PM

I love the vogueing which probably amounts to roughly 5 minutes of screen time per episode. It's worth it just to watch Dominique carry her trophies home in her little red wagon

by Anonymousreply 51July 14, 2018 1:15 AM

I do like Dominique and her little Radio Flyer.

by Anonymousreply 52July 14, 2018 1:31 AM

Just watched up until this week. HATED the first fifteen minutes of the pilot. It was so ridiculous that I almost turned it off. Elektra was so distasteful and I thought it was going to be all about her. Glad I stuck with it as Elektra started fading into the background and other characters emerged.. Not much of Peter Evans fan but he is so touching here putting his marriage in jeopardy to be who he really is. Favorites are Angel and the adorable Damon. Kate Mara is so much more an actress than her sister.

by Anonymousreply 53July 14, 2018 10:03 AM

[quote]I love the vogueing which probably amounts to roughly 5 minutes of screen time per episode.

Ditto. For me, it's ALL about Pray's commentary as the contestants strut.

by Anonymousreply 54July 14, 2018 12:06 PM

Does that trophy make Lil' Papi the realest of them all? Because he kinda is; love the straight sensibility he brings to the table. And his constant joking inserts much-needed comic relief into the high melodrama of it all.

by Anonymousreply 55July 14, 2018 12:13 PM

The fact he's a drug dealer means he won't last long.

by Anonymousreply 56July 14, 2018 3:29 PM

Penultimate episode of the season tonight!

I'm not ready for the first season to be over... or for the year-long wait until season two.

by Anonymousreply 57July 15, 2018 3:46 PM

Pose and Sharp Objects airing on the same day. Feels like a homosexual holiday.

by Anonymousreply 58July 15, 2018 4:03 PM

Why is Sharp Objects gay?

by Anonymousreply 59July 15, 2018 4:07 PM

Patricia Clarkson.

by Anonymousreply 60July 15, 2018 4:09 PM

Is she lez?

by Anonymousreply 61July 15, 2018 4:10 PM

No, she's Patricia Clarkson.

by Anonymousreply 62July 15, 2018 4:13 PM

Ryan Jamaal Swain Urges Madonna to Appear on Second Season

If Madonna had real balls she would do it but play a drag queen at the ball and have a Madonna like character come in and get shit for appropriating voguing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63July 15, 2018 4:25 PM

R63 I'm sure Madonna will listen to the talentless Ryan Jamaal Swain.

by Anonymousreply 64July 15, 2018 4:28 PM

I would urge both Ryan Jamaal Swain and Madonna to take acting lessons. Perhaps together.

by Anonymousreply 65July 15, 2018 5:14 PM

Maybe Madonna could help him with his dance moves.

by Anonymousreply 66July 15, 2018 5:21 PM

Oh, no. No no no. I hope no one takes Swain up on that suggestion. What a terrible idea.

This show does NOT need stunt casting -- part of its charm and appeal is that its main cast is almost entirely unknowns (or at least not-very-widely-knowns) -- and a Madonna cameo would be awful.

by Anonymousreply 67July 15, 2018 5:21 PM

r66 Which she stole from the community his show depicts. Full circle.

by Anonymousreply 68July 15, 2018 5:22 PM

[quote]2k in Manhattan gets you a tiny studio.

I live in a small (but just big enough) studio in Hell's Kitchen for $1,825 a month. Don't think I'm going to stay beyond my one-year lease, though.

by Anonymousreply 69July 15, 2018 5:57 PM

Okay, something so fucked up is going on here. I was in the "NYC vs LA" thread and yet my post ended up here.

by Anonymousreply 70July 15, 2018 5:59 PM

The entire writing staff including Janet Mock are in ❤️ with Janet Jackson, so she’s the legendary diva most likely to appear. Mock even rallied to get Janet’s song Let's Wait Awhile played over Angel and Stan’s love scene.

by Anonymousreply 71July 15, 2018 9:44 PM

My God, Dominique's acting tonight is ATROCIOUS.

She really is terrible. I'm sorry. She's gorgeous and has presence but... desperately needs acting classes.

by Anonymousreply 72July 16, 2018 1:12 AM

R72 And putting her opposite a talent like Chris Meloni just accentuates her lack of ability.

by Anonymousreply 73July 16, 2018 1:18 AM

Aww Papi you can stay with me!!!

by Anonymousreply 74July 16, 2018 1:20 AM

Blanca has a FIERCE walk.

by Anonymousreply 75July 16, 2018 1:20 AM

Ricky is a little social-climbing bitch.

by Anonymousreply 76July 16, 2018 1:23 AM

“What do you mean “evicted”??”

The writing isn’t exactly helping her performance.

by Anonymousreply 77July 16, 2018 1:29 AM

Loved the ending montage tonight! I'm going to be sorry to see this season end...

by Anonymousreply 78July 16, 2018 2:03 AM

Another great episode. I can't believe I feel sorry for snobby Elektra. How the mighty have fallen.

by Anonymousreply 79July 16, 2018 3:15 AM

They are getting shorter in time as well.

by Anonymousreply 80July 16, 2018 4:06 AM

Actually Dominique was great in the final montage. maybe it's because she wasn't speaking. She seems to struggle with the dialogue.

by Anonymousreply 81July 16, 2018 4:31 AM

As scrappy as it is, this show is just so damn enjoyable to watch. I actually look forward to each new episode, which stands in contrast to my feelings about AHS the past few seasons that have felt more and more like a chore to watch. The music of 'Pose' is so on point and a character in and of itself. Mj Rodriguez and Indya Moore are consistently great each week and they definitely carry some of the weaker actors. I'm so genuinely happy and pleasantly surprised that it's getting a second season.

by Anonymousreply 82July 16, 2018 5:10 AM

I did think tonight's episode was a bit of a letdown after last week's triumph.

But loved that Jody Watley's "Looking for a New Love" was played during Elektra's date scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83July 16, 2018 5:30 AM

worst tranny actresses ive ever seen....

their theme is 'send me back to school'

by Anonymousreply 84July 16, 2018 7:31 AM

Love that Lil' Papi finally got his episode and I love even more that he didn't end up dead or in jail by the end of it. His drug friend, played by Sebastian Chacon, was [italic]handsome.[/italic] No Insta to stalk, unforch.

How cruel was Stan, stuffing all of Angel's things in that trash bag? He's left her twice now and I hope they never get back together.

Jamal has such nice hands; you can tell he's a dancer in real life.

by Anonymousreply 85July 16, 2018 3:14 PM

Elektra and Damon really need to go. Elektra first. The acting is just too bad. I don't care she is homeless and at show world now. She's terrible. I don't even care about these characters except blanca and angel. All the rest can fuck off and die. The characters NOT actors. Just to be clear. Stan is a little fuck nigga. Dated guys like him many times. You're a fantasy, they are intrigued by the world you come from and then they can't take it and run like the lame ass they are. Fuck outta here. He needs to go too. They all do except blanca and angel. Keep lulu and candy for the rivalry. New characters asap. I thought from the teaser last week someone died. I could have sworn they said. Lil papi was much better in his episode. He reminded me of isaac Powell. Of course he's right out of jail and fine. No grit to see here. Please. I don't think I'll be back for season 2. I've seen enough. Side note: Meloni's nose got bigger? He looks like an old man pervert now. I used to sneak and try to watch him on OZ as a kid. Sad. He's a superfreak. I can tell.

by Anonymousreply 86July 16, 2018 3:29 PM

*Lemar, not Jamal, sorry!

by Anonymousreply 87July 16, 2018 4:31 PM

Call me naive, but if Elektra considers herself a real woman, why does she still troll the tranny side of things? And she seems to be better with dialogue when she speaks quickly and loses the over enunciation. For some reason, Angel looked more like a man to me in this episode.

by Anonymousreply 88July 16, 2018 4:36 PM

What else is she supposed to do? She can't get a proper job so of course she's returned to the things she knows.

by Anonymousreply 89July 16, 2018 4:40 PM

^^^i agree. Elektra should just go pass and work at the regular strip club. Like, DUH. There's no dick anymore. i've seen Angel look like a man in some angles too.

by Anonymousreply 90July 16, 2018 4:40 PM

Is there a demand for post-op trans at “straight” titty bars? Do men want to see a man with fake boobs and a surgically created “vagina” bump it and grind it?

Headscratcher.

by Anonymousreply 91July 16, 2018 6:19 PM

Guys at the strip club see fake boobs all the time & most clubs aren’t fully nude.

The transphobia in this thread is gross; I don’t know why y’all are even watching if the concept of trans bodies disgusts you so much.

by Anonymousreply 92July 16, 2018 10:00 PM

Am I the first to point out that Elektra is a full on doppelgänger of Omarosa Manigault Stalworth?????

by Anonymousreply 93July 17, 2018 12:16 AM

R93 - You're probably the first person to know who that is.

by Anonymousreply 94July 17, 2018 12:21 AM

the lead trannys are so mannish.

they shuld git their operations $$$$ back.

by Anonymousreply 95July 17, 2018 1:39 AM

Learn how to spell, r95.

by Anonymousreply 96July 17, 2018 1:46 AM

git fuckd wit a chics dyck R96

by Anonymousreply 97July 17, 2018 1:49 AM

I guess I have to since your 1 incher won't do the trick, Freeper troll.

by Anonymousreply 98July 17, 2018 1:53 AM

i'm still lovin' Candi!

by Anonymousreply 99July 17, 2018 2:07 AM

R93 omg I can't believe I didn't see it before! Omarosa!

by Anonymousreply 100July 17, 2018 2:15 AM

I will be very disappointed if Ricky never has a nude scene.

by Anonymousreply 101July 17, 2018 3:21 AM

Yes! Angel looked different in some scenes.

Why didn't Elektra go sell perfume at Macy's like someone upthread suggested?

Why didnt Angel stay at the peep show place? She didn't have to go back on the streets.

I'm loving the music. One of the writers said on Twitter that they spent the entire budget for the episode on the brilliant Tina Turner song.

by Anonymousreply 102July 17, 2018 5:17 AM

I really love this show...it really builds. Great music to boot

by Anonymousreply 103July 17, 2018 5:31 AM

YES, R102. "Private Dancer" was such an apt choice... perfect, but it's never, ever used (probably because it's so expensive). I'd love to know how much they paid... I remember MAD MEN famously paid umpteen millions for The Beatles's REVOLVER to be used when they did it and this is obviously in that rarefied league. I can't wait to see what Murphy ends the S1 with next week...

by Anonymousreply 104July 17, 2018 5:35 AM

I would imagine that the finale will be somewhat tidy since there they may not have been certain to get a second season.

by Anonymousreply 105July 17, 2018 5:37 AM

The Freak Show ball scene was channelling Leigh Bowery and American Horror Story Season One!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106July 17, 2018 6:16 AM

Im gay but not the audience for this show (hate drags, dance, divas, madonna etc), but I watched it anyway and somehow enjoyed it. It has lots of shortcomings, though, namely the trans quota. I know people are praising this show for its diversity, but if there was ever a case to be made that hiring people based on their gender/sexual orientation/race over talent and experience could hurt the quality of a show, this is it.

This show could benefit from better writing (maybe a good writer who isn't given a job just because they're trans) and professional biological actresses (playing some of the trans parts) could deliver the gravitas such a superficial themed show like this needs.

Maybe authenticity is more important for the sake of politics, but as far as art is concerned it really hurts the final product. I fear that Scarlet Johansson movie she was bullied to drop from may end up in the same situation.

by Anonymousreply 107July 17, 2018 7:02 AM

Transes vociferously hate "cis" people portraying them, because they themselves are portraying a gender fiction.

by Anonymousreply 108July 17, 2018 7:09 AM

I must say I'm impressed by some of the trans people in this show though. I don't know real trans people in real life and some of them in this series pass as biological women easily. I'm not sure if this is even a compliment, hope it isn't offensive or anything...

by Anonymousreply 109July 17, 2018 7:15 AM

[quote] My God, Dominique's acting tonight is ATROCIOUS. She really is terrible. I'm sorry. She's gorgeous and has presence but... desperately needs acting classes.

I don't think she's so bad, first the character is one of the more obnoxious characters ever on TV and it's her accent. She has a weird cadence and I think English isn't her first language.

by Anonymousreply 110July 17, 2018 8:23 AM

You know the actress playing Electra watches herself and thinks “damn, I am bringing the FEROCITY and REALNESS.” But she’s terrible, and what I can’t figure out is if the writers know that or not.

by Anonymousreply 111July 17, 2018 9:55 AM

EleKtra, sorry.

by Anonymousreply 112July 17, 2018 10:13 AM

Who sets the prices for those songs and will they go down once Tina Turner dies?

I was also shocked when I heard it because it's so rare but yes, it was perfect. It just seems egregious to me that they're so expensive.

by Anonymousreply 113July 17, 2018 10:36 AM

Elektra is foreign. English is his second language. I'm not into trans but Trans should be played by trans ONLY. bottom line.

by Anonymousreply 114July 17, 2018 3:02 PM

Dominique Jackson has to be the worst actress ever, nothing out of her mouth is ever convincing.

by Anonymousreply 115July 17, 2018 3:19 PM

I hope they fix some of the more annoying aspects of Damon's character in the second season because it's still incredible that we get to see two black gay men in a romantic relationship on our TVs. People tend to overlook it because they're so fixated on the trans stuff, either in a positive or negative way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116July 17, 2018 3:22 PM

[quote]I hope they fix some of the more annoying aspects of Damon's character in the second season

I assumed he'd be the lead character after the first episode, but his presence has been steadily diminishing, so I suspect they know they need to do something different with him.

by Anonymousreply 117July 17, 2018 3:57 PM

r117 Yeah, I also think they clocked it. I see commenters on the AV Club saying all the time he's like a character from Glee and that it doesn't really work in this show.

by Anonymousreply 118July 17, 2018 4:03 PM

[quote] I must say I'm impressed by some of the trans people in this show though. I don't know real trans people in real life and some of them in this series pass as biological women easily.

Perhaps the main trans charcters "pass" because they are actually female. Look it up.

[quote] I'm not sure if this is even a compliment, hope it isn't offensive or anything...

Not offensive to me.

by Anonymousreply 119July 17, 2018 4:06 PM

I don't care who "passes" or not, what's important to me is how they wish to be identified. The rest boils down to facial structure and the money for the plastic surgery, and I don't intend to shame those who haven't scored the genetic lottery and/or can't afford expensive procedures.

This whole "passing" conversation by non-trans people just seems weird to me. It's not unlike straight people ranking homos on TV by how much they can pass as straight.

by Anonymousreply 120July 17, 2018 4:13 PM

What happened to Blanca's attempt to integrate a gay bar? It was a major subplot for two episodes but then it was dropped.

by Anonymousreply 121July 17, 2018 4:51 PM

Like everyone else, Blanca realized that making a gay bar a hangout for trans attracts straight trans chasers who drive away the gays, resulting in the bar going out of business.

by Anonymousreply 122July 17, 2018 5:01 PM

Angel just breaks my heart every week. It's such an honest and heartfelt performance. Dominique is so stunning I don't mind that her acting is 'eh.' The men's wardrobe person should be fired for not putting Meloni in very tight bikini briefs.

by Anonymousreply 123July 17, 2018 8:19 PM

R121 i thought the exact same thing.

by Anonymousreply 124July 17, 2018 8:42 PM

The actor who plays Ricky said in an interview he auditioned for Damon but the producers liked him that they created a role for him. He used to be in a boy band.

by Anonymousreply 125July 17, 2018 8:44 PM

[quote]I did think tonight's episode was a bit of a letdown after last week's triumph.

I would agree, but it's all relative when the series sets the bar so high. Last week's episode was flat-out amazing; this week's episode was just very good.

Having said that, I'm not sure about the whole House of Ferocity storyline and kind of hope it's just a minor subplot going forward. I don't find Lulu and Candy as compelling as Blanca and her "kids," but I guess the series needs another House now that Abundance is toast.

As for Ferocity's newest member: Lil Papi's swift personality changes were brilliant, IMO. Sweet, vulnerable and funny and then, once his charade is exposed, bitter, violent and vengeful. Both equally convincing.

[quote]How cruel was Stan, stuffing all of Angel's things in that trash bag? He's left her twice now and I hope they never get back together.

I was surprised that their relationship imploded so quickly, especially since Stan is played by Evan Peters and I can't imagine producers letting go of him yet. I don't really want an on-again/off-again/on-again saga for Angel, but I also think Peters is a solid talent so I'd be sorry to see him leave the show.

Speaking of talent, I wish they'd give Charlayne Woodard (who plays Damon's dance teacher, Helena) more to do. I've loved her since "Chicago Hope," and think she's a wonderfully underrated and relatively undiscovered actress. Hopefully, they'll expand on Helena's mentor-esque relationship with Blanca. I'd much rather see Helena/Blanca storylines than Helena/Damon storylines.

[quote]The Freak Show ball scene was channelling Leigh Bowery and American Horror Story Season One!

And I'm pretty sure one of the contestants was serving up a hint of AHS's Twisty the Clown!

by Anonymousreply 126July 17, 2018 9:01 PM

^^^yes i love the dance teacher actress. Such a warm presence.

by Anonymousreply 127July 17, 2018 9:12 PM

Thanks to you guys I heard about the show and am checking it out. I can't speak to acting - I'm not an actor - but the first 19:00 minutes contains shiteous stilted and artificial dialogue. Hell, let me write the dialogue; I can do better than that.

I'm not giving up on the show though. Hopefully "it gets better". (-:

by Anonymousreply 128July 17, 2018 10:35 PM

[quote]Perhaps the main trans charcters "pass" because they are actually female. Look it up.

Mj Rodriguez ... Blanca Rodriguez, Indya Moore ... Angel, & Dominique Jackson... Elektra are all transgendered.

by Anonymousreply 129July 17, 2018 10:54 PM

Covergirls

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130July 17, 2018 10:56 PM

[quote]Dominique Jackson has to be the worst actress ever,

I just adore you R115.

by Anonymousreply 131July 17, 2018 11:00 PM

Stick with it R128. I was iffy after the pilot (for some of the same reasons you cite) but figured I'd give it one more episode... and by the end of episode #2 I was totally hooked. By episode #3, it had me in tears. And it's only gotten better from there.

by Anonymousreply 132July 17, 2018 11:19 PM

It took me about 30 minutes in the first episode to get used to the amateur acting, but after that the unpolished acting felt perfect for the world they're depicting. It gives the show a gritty, realistic feel and immerses you in the story.

by Anonymousreply 133July 17, 2018 11:51 PM

[quote] I can't speak to acting - I'm not an actor - but the first 19:00 minutes contains shiteous stilted and artificial dialogue

I’m not an actor, either, but I can tell you that much of it is very amateurish ... and the dialogue rarely rises above serviceable throughout the series ... yet there’s something about the characters that is terribly endearing. I was ready to throw in the towel after the first episode but I’m glad I stuck it out.

by Anonymousreply 134July 18, 2018 12:01 AM

Well look at all the Meryl Streeps giving their opinions.

by Anonymousreply 135July 18, 2018 12:18 AM

R119 All the trans characters are played by trans actresses. Look it up.

by Anonymousreply 136July 18, 2018 1:47 AM

Jesus Christ this made me cry. I was barely born then, but I love the song and Billy Porter. Who is the actress?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137July 18, 2018 1:52 AM

R137 MJ Rodriguez. She plays Blanca.

by Anonymousreply 138July 18, 2018 1:54 AM

Thanks R138.

by Anonymousreply 139July 18, 2018 2:05 AM

The hyperactive camera work in Murphy's shows is tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 140July 18, 2018 9:35 AM

R135, I totally heard your comment being said in Billy Porter's voice. :-)

by Anonymousreply 141July 18, 2018 11:41 AM

"Category is... Deplorable Realness!"

by Anonymousreply 142July 18, 2018 12:30 PM

It's interesting how Damian was such a prominent character at the start but now he's been pushed to the background. And it was so great to see Charlayne Woodard again. I remember her from the original cast of Ain't Misbehavin for crissakes. The woman is a star.

by Anonymousreply 143July 18, 2018 12:40 PM

All I know is Elektra is going to hell for stealing that charity money.

by Anonymousreply 144July 18, 2018 12:52 PM

Some would argue she's living her own personal hell right now, what with having to go back to those sleazy booths.

by Anonymousreply 145July 18, 2018 12:56 PM

How old is Elektra supposed to be? 40s? Not sure a middle aged black woman would be much of a draw to the peep show.

by Anonymousreply 146July 18, 2018 1:05 PM

Will Elektra join House of Evangelista? I love the relationship between her and Blanca

by Anonymousreply 147July 18, 2018 1:45 PM

I think that would be a nice role reversal, R147, since it was Elektra who took in Blanca when she was starting out and needed a House. Plus, both Blanca and Elektra have axes to grind with the House of Ferocity, so it makes sense for them to team up. ("My enemy's enemies are my friends" and all that.) But Elektra will need to eat a heaping helping of humble pie first, I think.

It could also set the stage for drama in season two, since a power struggle for control of Evangelista would inevitably ensue... especially if they start winning balls together. ("It's because of ME!"... "No, this is MY house and it's because of ME!"... etc.)

by Anonymousreply 148July 18, 2018 2:02 PM

Ooh, r148, I like the way you think.

by Anonymousreply 149July 18, 2018 2:33 PM

Balls! Balls! Balls!

by Anonymousreply 150July 18, 2018 2:51 PM

I can't believe I have the tiniest smidgeon of what may possibly be 'insider information' BUT! I saw Janet Mock interviewed recently in person and she said that each season of "Pose" is plotted out to be a 'year in the life.' So expect season 2 and subsequent seasons to jump forward in time to advance the plot and to address societal developments like the AIDS crisis and activism of the following years. Season 1 is supposed to be 1987 or '88?

Also, I think the Damon character was/is part of the plot featuring Blanca assembling a house full of people who need her. It's possible Damon was meant to have a bigger part but got scaled back because he's just not that good at acting or dancing, though he has a lovely smile. He's a young guy playing a kid who still has to grow up, (and is something of a simpleton) so maybe that will happen during the course of the series.

by Anonymousreply 151July 18, 2018 4:54 PM

Doesn't "a year in the life" just mean one season covers a whole year (like the recent 'Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life') and is pretty standard in TV shows in general? That could just mean that the second season takes place in '88 and '89 as the current one covers '87 and '88. I wouldn't want them to go too far into the '90s, though.

by Anonymousreply 152July 18, 2018 5:10 PM

Are there still balls in 2018 where gays and trans gather to compete? Are they still vogueing and posing to win trophies? Or did they all get bored with it in the early 90s and move on to something else?

by Anonymousreply 153July 18, 2018 5:16 PM

I'd love the series to jump more than just one year and show us where these people are in 5 years. More importantly, who the AIDS survivors are.

by Anonymousreply 154July 18, 2018 5:19 PM

r153 It wasn't boredom, we just started to go mainstream later on so there wasn't that much need for those safe places anymore.

by Anonymousreply 155July 18, 2018 5:24 PM

Help me understand something: why is the fetishization of a penis on an otherwise trans woman so great that the loss of it is a deal breaker? I'm trying to understand the psychology of these ultra rich white men in Elektra's life.

by Anonymousreply 156July 18, 2018 5:37 PM

Seems to me they got off on the taboo of it all. Plus people back then considered today's legitimate sexual preferences and tastes mostly as weird kinks, so it was all a bit different in that regard as well. You're probably never going to get it if you look at this phenomenon from the queer perspective, that's for sure. It's just straight guys looking for something exotic and finding it in this marginalized community.

by Anonymousreply 157July 18, 2018 5:48 PM

Precisely because it is a fetish, R156. Such men are attracted to the combination of a penis and breasts, they have no interest in the person they're attached to.

by Anonymousreply 158July 18, 2018 5:49 PM

There are Balls, but few and far between. Pose hinges upon the ideals framed within the movie,“Paris Is Burning” and there’s NO equivalent in our day and age. The scrappiness and tawdriness of NYC, renting out a hall for a regular weekly Ball without a fight breaking out, prostitutes working out on a pier, and the threat of AIDS all fell by the wayside becuase of costs, culture, gentilrification or technology.

by Anonymousreply 159July 18, 2018 6:41 PM

I would also think that the arrival of NYC clubs like Arena and Tunnel helped kill the ball scene. The houses tended to migrate to those clubs as they were permanent fixtures for a while (as opposed to changing every week) and was therefore a bit "safer". And then of course, by the end of the 90s Meth had killed that scene as well.

by Anonymousreply 160July 18, 2018 6:54 PM

So if the show keeps going beyond the 80s and into the 90s, will the kids be vogueing at Arena or Tunnel?

Will there be anymore “posing” to do once the balls shut down? Or is the show title supposed to refer to more than just vogueing?

by Anonymousreply 161July 18, 2018 7:02 PM

Damon being moved to the back burner has been a delight as the season has worn on. He bugged the absolute shit out of me. That audition scene where he blew the doors when in actuality danced like Helen Keller will hopefully be shown at gay bar comedy nights for decades to come. And they can swap out Whitney for any song and it would be the same effect. What the fuck was he dancing to????

by Anonymousreply 162July 18, 2018 7:05 PM

[quote]So if the show keeps going beyond the 80s and into the 90s...

Although it depends on the direction they're planning and the stories they want to tell, I think it would be smart for the producers to pick a finite amount of time to cover on the show, figure out how many seasons that requires, and then draw the series to a close on a high note. And, more importantly, to craft each season with that narrative "deadline" in mind.

I could see "Pose" having five really solid, really rich, really amazing seasons (hopefully, 12 episodes per season instead of just eight) and then ending while everyone still wants more.

by Anonymousreply 163July 18, 2018 7:13 PM

R144 Salvation Army is anti-LGBT so fuck ‘em.

by Anonymousreply 164July 18, 2018 10:26 PM

[bold]Executive Realness: 3 ‘Pose’ Stars on Dancing and Being Seen[/bold]

[quote]Ryan Jamaal Swain [Damon], Dominique Jackson [Elektra] and Jason A. Rodriguez [Lemar] talk about their experiences as dancers in life — and onscreen in Ryan Murphy’s show about the underground ballroom scene of the 1980s.

There's a cute little video of Rodriguez dancing at the beginning. Dear gods, he's handsome. I had no idea Dominique was a dancer as well. She has huge arm muscles in that photo so I definitely believe she's still dancing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165July 18, 2018 10:28 PM

Heads up for those of you in NYC:

Mj Rodriguez, Dyllón Burnside (who plays Ricky) and Ryan Jamaal Swain are performing a special "yay! we got a second season!" concert on July 23 at The Cutting Room.

If Billy Porter *doesn't* show up as one of the "surprise" guests, I will be VERY surprised.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166July 18, 2018 10:57 PM

[bold]Cover Exclusive: The Cast of Pose Takes Center Stage and Makes History[/bold]

[quote]Rodriguez, Moore, and Jackson chat with Janet Mock — who serves as a writer, producer, and director on Pose — about making history, filming sex scenes, and the joys of motherhood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167July 19, 2018 6:25 PM

Maybe Sandra Bernhard will show up and delight the crowd with a maybe-ironic-maybe-sincere performance of a silly pop song like Ariana Grande’s “God Is a Woman.”

In fact, I’d be shocked if this doesn’t happen.

by Anonymousreply 168July 19, 2018 6:29 PM

How much was admission to to these weekly balls? Someone had to pay for the hall and the trophys and did they have liquor licenses?

by Anonymousreply 169July 20, 2018 10:05 AM

I am fascinated by this show. I had never heard of ball culture and I have no particular interest in transsexuals, but I love the story and the characters and I find myself thinking about them. So glad there’s going to be another season.

by Anonymousreply 170July 20, 2018 11:06 PM

I think that's probably what everyone affiliated with the series hoped would be the reaction, R170 -- that viewers who might not have any connection to the era or the ball scene or the LGBT community would nonetheless connect with the show.

After all, at its core, it's a show about two universal themes: love and family.

by Anonymousreply 171July 20, 2018 11:37 PM

“I have no particular interest in transsexuals....”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172July 20, 2018 11:37 PM

This is probably the only tv show that makes me want to watch the episodes more than once. I usually watch 2-3x and I always see something new.

by Anonymousreply 173July 21, 2018 3:29 PM

This cast would be a smash at various pride parades.

by Anonymousreply 174July 21, 2018 6:54 PM

One more episode left! Oh no!

by Anonymousreply 175July 22, 2018 7:06 AM

I'm genuinely sad we're already at the season finale, and will be counting the months until a hopefully-longer-than-eight-episodes season two.

In the meantime, once the series bows out for the year, I plan on checking out "Saturday Church," which seems sort of like "Pose: The Movie" (though, with more singing) and co-stars both Mj Rodriguez and Indya Moore. Trailer at link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176July 22, 2018 4:35 PM

^^ Weird. "Episodes" was one word when I typed it!

by Anonymousreply 177July 22, 2018 4:36 PM

r177 DL automatically creates a spacing when there are too many characters together. It's all those hyphens that did you in.

by Anonymousreply 178July 22, 2018 4:40 PM

Ah, thanks for the 411, R178!

by Anonymousreply 179July 22, 2018 4:47 PM

It would have been funny if Lil Papi carried his trophy around after getting kicked out of the trans house. He could take it with him to the crack house.

by Anonymousreply 180July 22, 2018 4:54 PM

This whole Elektra storyline is sad. Sleeping on a park bench? Really??

by Anonymousreply 181July 23, 2018 1:05 AM

Pray Tell just uttered the new DL motto!

by Anonymousreply 182July 23, 2018 1:19 AM

I love Pray Tell. ❤️

by Anonymousreply 183July 23, 2018 1:23 AM

Another brilliant episode!

by Anonymousreply 184July 23, 2018 1:54 AM

I knew they could do it! What a finale! Love this show.

by Anonymousreply 185July 23, 2018 1:59 AM

Omg that was fabulous! Loved it!

by Anonymousreply 186July 23, 2018 2:02 AM

This is a great season finale.

by Anonymousreply 187July 23, 2018 2:03 AM

Holy shit I'm crying!

by Anonymousreply 188July 23, 2018 2:15 AM

“Love Is A House” by the Force MDs was the PERFECT choice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189July 23, 2018 2:20 AM

Another great episode!!

It sounded like Prince to me ☺️☺️

I really do like Electra. She's coming around. That outfit she wore was beyond fierce !!

Why did she turn out those customers? The place looked really nice and sort of upscale?

I'm glad Damon decided to stay in school.

Poor white boy. Go home, white boy.

by Anonymousreply 190July 23, 2018 2:36 AM

Because this restaurant DOESN'T SERVE THE BRIDGE AND TUNNEL CROWD!!!!! r190

by Anonymousreply 191July 23, 2018 2:39 AM

Lord, help me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192July 23, 2018 2:41 AM

Well, yeah, R191, I heard it, I don't know what it means!

☺️☺️

by Anonymousreply 193July 23, 2018 2:44 AM

[quote] I don't know what it means!

New Yorkers who live in the outer boroughs - they have to come in via the bridge or tunnel and therefore are considered less than.

by Anonymousreply 194July 23, 2018 2:46 AM

Oh 😯😯

Got it, R194, thanks! 😘

by Anonymousreply 195July 23, 2018 2:52 AM

Indochine is great but Electra should be the door bitch at Dorsea.

by Anonymousreply 196July 23, 2018 3:02 AM

The truly great TV critic Matt Zoller Seitz wrote the finale review on Vulture in an essay form. Worth a read so I linked it.

Positive, I might add. And props from people like him give the show more exposure and maybe a bigger audience. I can't wait for next season!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197July 23, 2018 3:09 AM

I love the hell out of Candy!

by Anonymousreply 198July 23, 2018 3:09 AM

Candy is a true DLer.

by Anonymousreply 199July 23, 2018 3:18 AM

brung!

by Anonymousreply 200July 23, 2018 3:54 AM

Dominique's acting was much better in this episode.

by Anonymousreply 201July 23, 2018 4:03 AM

I was waiting for Sandra Bernhard to bust into that ball finale and teach the children how it’s done, hunty.

by Anonymousreply 202July 23, 2018 4:20 AM

Electra's read at the ball was very Julia Sugarbaker "Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia."

by Anonymousreply 203July 23, 2018 6:01 AM

"Were you raised on a farm? Cuz it's time for you to mooooooo-ve on out."

by Anonymousreply 204July 23, 2018 6:18 AM

Ahhh Tranny leader Mock, who keeps going on and on about wonderful being a male prostitute in drag is, and how all tranny children should become prostitutes.....whilst ignoring that 9 out of 10 trannys murdered are prostitutes. Kinda foul leader leading the trannys to their death, but fuck, trannys are so fucking stupid

by Anonymousreply 205July 23, 2018 6:18 AM

Blanca worked to get herself and her house kids OUT of whoring, Miss Thing.

But do continue to embarrass yourself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206July 23, 2018 6:22 AM

R206 He is a fucked up twist

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207July 23, 2018 6:28 AM

Oh, well, that's something else. Thanks for the link. Odd bitch she is.

by Anonymousreply 208July 23, 2018 6:30 AM

Freeper at r207 posting misleading videos. How does Mock talking about her time as a 17 year old prostitute (17 is the age of majority in some states) equate to advocating child prostitution?

by Anonymousreply 209July 23, 2018 6:34 AM

That finale was SO satisfying and joyful – scores: 10, 10, 10, 10 and 10!

And there's so much to talk about! [SPOILERS FOLLOW.]

It was wonderful to see so many of the characters finally happy and content after all the angst they've been through. Elektra gleefully flipping out at the mention of Al B. Sure actually made me laugh out loud. So did Pray Tell's commentary during Candy's walk at the ball – she's like the Little Engine That Couldn't and I love her for it.

[quote]Dominique's acting was much better in this episode.

Agreed, and I wonder if it's because her character was finally allowed to be happy/funny instead of bitter and angry. She was actually smiling for much of the episode! Maybe a more upbeat tone is more in line with her real-life personality, so the line readings were so much more natural.

I hope, though, that the producers keep the relationship between Blanca and Elektra the way it is now. I think they're MUCH stronger and more interesting as a united force, and I'd rather see them team up against all comers than revert to their old adversarial roles. Elektra reading Ferocity on behalf of Evangelista was GOLD, and her "you have always been my heart" line to Blanca made me teary. (MARY!)

I also really liked the fact that the episode was structured so that it could work as a season OR series finale -- there was closure, so that if FX hadn't renewed it, viewers would still feel a sense of completion to the characters and storylines.

The lack of cliffhangers was perfect and gives the writers complete freedom as to where to start off (and take) season two.

by Anonymousreply 210July 23, 2018 1:00 PM

I don't know, you guys, I loved every episode but didn't feel that finale [italic]at all.[/italic] Such a slog, I barely made it through. I guess I'm just not big on payoffs and closures, and prefer conflict instead.

I hope Lemar and the other homo get some scenes next season because they're just props at this point. Did you see Ricky's butt in those red pants as he entered the audition room? Jesus Christ.

r182 What was it?

by Anonymousreply 211July 23, 2018 2:06 PM

I assume the finale ended with a neat, tiny bow because the showrunners wanted a conclusive ending in case they didn't get renewed.

by Anonymousreply 212July 23, 2018 2:12 PM

Did I miss something? Evan Peters ( who deserves a nomination) Stan comes home, says he wants to move back, wife agrees but with her demands and all of a sudden he telling Angel he's leaving his wife. Huh? Is he just so screwed up?

by Anonymousreply 213July 23, 2018 2:54 PM

I used to live around the block from Indochine in the 90's and I can't believe they are still going. Maybe next season some of them can work at Lucky Chengs were the workers were drag queens.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214July 23, 2018 2:57 PM

R213, my guess is that he had a very sudden change of heart when Patty asked him to give up everything about "the city," including his job and all its perks. By default, it would mean he would also have to sacrifice any remote chance that he might see Angel ever again.

So, seeing his potential future and realizing it's not actually what he wants, he threw a Hail Mary at Angel. But, thankfully, she turned him down.

by Anonymousreply 215July 23, 2018 3:00 PM

[quote] Did I miss something? Evan Peters ( who deserves a nomination) Stan comes home, says he wants to move back, wife agrees but with her demands and all of a sudden he telling Angel he's leaving his wife. Huh? Is he just so screwed up?

Yep. He wanted Angel because she can't make demands of him. He holds all the cards in that relationship which he demonstrated by packing up everything in the apartment leaving Angel with practically nothing. She is less complicated for him and easier to control. Ir so he hoped.

by Anonymousreply 216July 23, 2018 3:05 PM

So will Stan and his wife and the other Trump guy even be even S2? Seems like that story is over. Will the show have no white characters at all?

by Anonymousreply 217July 23, 2018 8:43 PM

I couldn't believe my eyes when Stan came to Angel, after he had broken up with her [italic]twice[/italic] and put all her things in a garbage bag like she's some sort of disposable trash. But I was happy when she didn't go along with it again.

[quote]Will the show have no white characters at all?

How refreshing that would be! But Jeremy McClain, who plays Cubby, seems white to me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218July 23, 2018 8:56 PM

Ricky is so hot, I can barely handle it. His dance audition to Al B. Sure is better than porn.

by Anonymousreply 219July 23, 2018 9:00 PM

So many of the reviews of the finale are citing its happy ending, and how rare that is -- especially for LGBT characters -- on TV these days.

The one linked below sums it up nicely: "Instead of relying on overly dramatic and suspenseful twists, Pose undoes conventions, flips the dominant narratives on their heads. In that sense, it’s still doing the unexpected, still challenging assumptions even though the outcomes aren’t shocking."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220July 23, 2018 9:03 PM

I seriously hope Evan, Kate and Vanderwhatever don't come back. If they feel the need to put white folks in the show then write some new characters. I don't want to see Angel and Stan back together. I started tearing up in the first scene last night. And, as others have posted, it was nice to see them wrap the season up neatly and not leave any ridiculous cliffhangers.

by Anonymousreply 221July 23, 2018 9:19 PM

R221 Yes, all the white characters need to go, and then the show can commit to being total fantasy

by Anonymousreply 222July 23, 2018 9:21 PM

At least two of the main characters are destined to die of AIDS, though, aren’t they? I mean, given the timeframe of the show.

by Anonymousreply 223July 23, 2018 10:59 PM

The scene between Angel and Stan was so amazing I felt like I was eavesdropping on a private conversation.

by Anonymousreply 224July 23, 2018 11:01 PM

R211 it comes 13 mins in where Blanca is telling Pray Tell he's showing some gray up top:

"Everybody likes a little smoky up there now and again.. Daddies are in!"

I'm loving it!

by Anonymousreply 225July 23, 2018 11:05 PM

r220 I'm seeing more and more articles and also people talking on Twitter about this now, and I think I've changed my mind. I was so expecting the ending to be violent and depressing because I've been conditioned to see queer stories end that way. The fact that they subverted that expectation by having the only violence in the finale be comical, is actually kinda genius.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226July 23, 2018 11:23 PM

The little fat trans from the house of shit...is that the Asian drag queen from RuPauls?

by Anonymousreply 227July 23, 2018 11:41 PM

Shout out to Pose using Barbara Mason's genius 1984 ditty:

But you know the dating of the songs on this soundtrack is all over the place.

Also the Ep 8 Bianca wins Mother of the Year 1988. I pegged this story as more like 1986.

Quibbles. That was a great watch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228July 23, 2018 11:45 PM

Exactly, R226.

I mean, we know these characters won't all have happy endings all the time -- for starters, with both Blanca and Pray being HIV+ it's likely one of them will develop AIDS before the series is over -- so giving them a moment of collective joy/victory/closure in the face of all their hardships was wonderfully, beautifully unexpected.

Variety has a nice take (linked below) on the series and its finale, calling it "radical happiness."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229July 23, 2018 11:51 PM

I like the fairy tale story about creating your own family and having dignity and pride. Angel giving up her Jersey Boy, and committing to her family. Well, she's still got shitty prospects. Is that end of Evans on this series?

by Anonymousreply 230July 23, 2018 11:57 PM

[quote]Yes, all the white characters need to go, and then the show can commit to being total fantasy

How long did it take Friends, Girls and Sex in The City to have people of color in their shows?

Originally Tatiana Maslany from Orphan Black was hired to play Damon's teacher and they wisely recast. It would have been too "White Savior".

by Anonymousreply 231July 24, 2018 12:01 AM

I am curious how they are going to address the scene between Angel and Blanca in the next season. I can't imagine they would kill off Blanca soon because MJ/Blanca is so beloved already by fans of the show. But that was kind of the downer moment of the finale because Blanca was basically saying she wasn't going to be around that much longer.

by Anonymousreply 232July 24, 2018 12:02 AM

[quote]Originally Tatiana Maslany from Orphan Black was hired to play Damon's teacher and they wisely recast.

Good thinking there. Imagine a white Reginian doling out life advice to Blanca. Oof.

by Anonymousreply 233July 24, 2018 12:06 AM

[quote]Blanca was basically saying she wasn't going to be around that much longer.

Only because that's all anyone knew at the time: that being HIV+ was essentially a death sentence. Blanca believes she'll die soon because that's been the only outcome she's seen. AZT was developed in the late 1980s, though, so her tune may change as the seasons progress.

[quote]Yes, all the white characters need to go, and then the show can commit to being total fantasy

I don't think anyone is saying the show shouldn't have white characters. But the storylines for Stan, Patty and Matt have come to a natural conclusion, so there's no point in having those particular white characters return next season.

by Anonymousreply 234July 24, 2018 12:09 AM

Evans might have been brought on board to lure in fans of Murphy's previous work. I'll be very surprised if he comes back next season.

by Anonymousreply 235July 24, 2018 12:17 AM

Nobody cares about Mara or Van Der Beek's characters so they will not return.

I think Peters' story is over too. Who would root for him and Angel now?

by Anonymousreply 236July 24, 2018 12:31 AM

[quote]Nobody cares about Mara or Van Der Beek's characters so they will not return.

And yet BUILD gave him almost twice the time for the interview that Janet Mock and the actor playing Ricky got [italic]combined.[/italic] But whatever, if he pulls in people who would otherwise never check out this show, I won't complain. But it's still odd and very of our time that the guy who's basically playing Trump gets the most airtime.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237July 24, 2018 12:38 AM

r228, they tell us in the first episode that it's 1987, but it was Christmastime a few episodes back so it makes sense that it's now 1988 in the series. I would think the season ended around the summer of 1988 given the Jessica Rabbit reference that Pray Tell makes during the ball.

by Anonymousreply 238July 24, 2018 12:55 AM

Electra getting excited over Al B Sure was just adorable. She really does have range!

by Anonymousreply 239July 24, 2018 12:57 AM

I totally shipped Angel and Stan until Stan showed up at the wife's house. After that, I couldn't want Angel back with him. Still, I'm mad they ruined my fantasy couple.

I'm also glad the show had a happy ending. Writers are so in love with death these days. It gets old.

by Anonymousreply 240July 24, 2018 1:03 AM

Electra's excitement was so out of character.

by Anonymousreply 241July 24, 2018 1:04 AM

Electra the character was very strong to be homeless and working at the peep, and trying to find a man. It was of course very theatrical and speeded up but that kind of collapse into homelessness really does happen to people. Don't see that much on TV.

by Anonymousreply 242July 24, 2018 1:05 AM

The soundtrack to this show has been so on point and I can't wait to hear the song selections for season 2 Are there any era appropriate songs that you all wish would be featured in the upcoming season? I keep thinking of this one when I think of this show

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243July 24, 2018 1:09 AM

Well, they did play Point of No Return, r243

I imagine the show will be set in 1989 next season or later in 1988. I am kind of hoping they will play Domino Dancing by PSB or some Taylor Dayne. Karyn White (Superwoman), New Edition (If It Isn't Love), some more Jody Watley (Still a Thrill has to be played).

I wonder if they will address Madonna's Vogue down the line and if they will savage Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 244July 24, 2018 1:31 AM

Playing Janet Jackson’s “Let’s Wait Awhile” over Angel and Stan’s first love scene was genius, as was “Love is a House” by Force MDs over that last scene in the finale. I was a crying mess at seeing them all together and happy.

by Anonymousreply 245July 24, 2018 1:34 AM

Break 4 Love - Raze and Inner City Good Life for ball music.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246July 24, 2018 1:36 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247July 24, 2018 1:37 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248July 24, 2018 1:38 AM

They already played Good Life, which is odd since the show was set in '87/'88 and that song didn't come out until late '88.

by Anonymousreply 249July 24, 2018 1:39 AM

Rick Astley in background if they every enter a white gay bar or restaurant again.

by Anonymousreply 250July 24, 2018 1:39 AM

They are being ethnographically and historical strict. Point I made above.

by Anonymousreply 251July 24, 2018 1:40 AM

I love that song Domino Dancing. If early '89 I could see some Fine Young Cannibals (Good Thing or She Drives Me Crazy), maybe Neneh Cherry (Buffalo Stance), maybe some Milli Vanilli for kitschy '89 realism?

by Anonymousreply 252July 24, 2018 1:41 AM

Typo. They are NOT being strict, timeline wise.

by Anonymousreply 253July 24, 2018 1:43 AM

Does anyone of a certain age recognize Crystal LaBeiga in Electra, or Angie Xtravaganza with a touch of Sylvia Rivera in Blanca, or Octavia, Carmen and Venus in Angel? Nice touch to play the Pendavis (loved Avis) and Xtravagaza names in the finale. Wish them a great second season. As one who was there, the situations maybe quickly resolved, but they all ring true.

by Anonymousreply 254July 24, 2018 2:08 AM

Okay, i’m fascinated with this compelling story, but I had never heard of ball culture or vogueing, despite being around at the time. Didn’t really know the difference between drag queens & transsexuals and never heard of houses with mothers. Yes I was a white gay boy into cruising gay bars and dancing at clubs. Never went to the baths, but of course knew about that hem.

by Anonymousreply 255July 24, 2018 4:59 AM

Barbara Mason "Another Man" was played in PARIS IS BURNING. Stan just wants to work in the city and fuck a bunch of trannies. When did Lulu and Candy become so mean to Blanca? I agree, stan and the rest of the colonizers need to go. "Love is a House" was used brilliantly. Nice happy ending. Still corny in parts. Overall, better than i thought it would be.

by Anonymousreply 256July 24, 2018 5:15 AM

So Jiggly Caliente has a pussy now but still those jacked up teeth? Priorities.

by Anonymousreply 257July 24, 2018 12:07 PM

In the finale, when Candy flipped out and tried to attack a ball judge with a hammer, wouldn’t that pretty much ban her for life from them? It just didn’t seem realistic.

by Anonymousreply 258July 24, 2018 12:25 PM

I don't think anyone took the 'fight' seriously.

The audience were laughing; it seemed like more posing than about to descend into ultra-violence.

by Anonymousreply 259July 24, 2018 12:31 PM

Also, the fact she carried a hammer on her person was a good way of reminding us that outside the safety of the ball environment there was an ever present threat of real danger to trans people.

by Anonymousreply 260July 24, 2018 12:34 PM

I didn't like the Brady Bunch-style ending, with everyone living happily ever after. I have no problems with happy endings, but to have these main characters go from the depths of despair to having careers, relationships, victories, and ultra joy in one hour was just too much. They should've left a little realism in it.

I'm guessing they figured this was a one-season show, so they wanted to wrap it all up with a bow and not have any unresolved conflicts or sadness.

by Anonymousreply 261July 24, 2018 1:28 PM

[quote]Also, the fact she carried a hammer on her person...

I thought she grabbed it from the bar, no?

by Anonymousreply 262July 24, 2018 1:31 PM

R262 That is correct.

by Anonymousreply 263July 24, 2018 1:32 PM

[quote]It just didn’t seem realistic.

There is virtually nothing "realistic" about this show. But it's a very enjoyable fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 264July 24, 2018 1:44 PM

I thought she grabbed it from her purse, which was on the bar?

by Anonymousreply 265July 24, 2018 1:45 PM

People seem to be really gagged over Dominique in the finale. I thought she was on the same level as in all the previous episodes. But whatever, I got sad just thinking about her reading all those comments on her acting, so I'm glad she's finally getting some respite from that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266July 24, 2018 1:59 PM

I didn’t hear that the show had been picked up for a second season. I just assumed last night was the final episode. Hopefully next year they’ll either get rid of the Damon character or stop showing him dance. It really hurts his portrayal as a wunderkind when he’s consistently lagging behind the other performers. I also hate how he never puts any emotional into his dancing and the dead eyed look on his face when he does a routine. It always looks like he’s rehearsing or marking a dance instead of doing it.

Oh and his character sucks and is boring.

by Anonymousreply 267July 24, 2018 2:25 PM

HATTTTE Damon. Was hoping they Al B. Sure dancer storyline would be the ticket to write him out, or at least some of the time. I don't know anyone who likes him.

And does the kid not have a part time job? All he does is dance at school all day?

by Anonymousreply 268July 24, 2018 2:27 PM

Elektra was given an opportunity to show real range in the finale and she ran with it. Seeing her dignified self sleeping on a park bench was heartbreaking. This series is the best thing I've seen on television in ages but it's the kind of show you don't want to see go on for more than two or three seasons.

by Anonymousreply 269July 24, 2018 2:40 PM

Did anyone go to the cast performance in NYC last night? Just wondering if there really were any special surprise guests.

by Anonymousreply 270July 24, 2018 7:50 PM

I would love to hear Maurice's This is Acid. 1988 saw the rise of Acid House.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271July 24, 2018 8:20 PM

I was under the impression it was much earlier than '88.

Wasn't HIV/AIDS very much in the public eye and the whole patients being untouchable thing was a thing of the past by then?

I was 7 years old in '88 so admittedly I'm not an expert but in the UK HIV/AIDS had whole primetime documentaries about it, which I remember watching.

I'm not trolling and you can call me stupid/naive or whatever but did it really take that long for the medical community to take it seriously? Were HIV+ patients still treated like that in '88?

by Anonymousreply 272July 24, 2018 8:33 PM

r272

not an expert in anyway but HIV+ patients were treated very poorly until the late 90s early 2000s however people in NYC especially might have been more familiar with HIV than other places

by Anonymousreply 273July 24, 2018 8:43 PM

The actress showed range by pretending to be asleep on a bench? LOL. I guess it makes sense to keep expectations low low low for this show.

by Anonymousreply 274July 24, 2018 9:02 PM

The early AIDS wards were horror shows but by 1988 there were different levels of care. By 1988 I had friends in Beth Israel, Lennox Hill and NYH-Cornell to die and the care was normal and the nurses had dropped all that quarantine business, but sometimes family and friends could apply their own fears and shame.

by Anonymousreply 275July 24, 2018 9:21 PM

Not to switch topics, but who's your favorite character on the show?

by Anonymousreply 276July 24, 2018 9:30 PM

Mj Rodriguez (and maybe others) were part of the floor show backing up Janelle Monáe's extravagant performance on Colbert the other night. Unfortunately, the song is TERRIBLE and not for its black power LGBTQ power points. Its was a just a long screech with no melody or hooks.

by Anonymousreply 277July 24, 2018 9:39 PM

Angel is my favorite character and actress.

by Anonymousreply 278July 24, 2018 10:16 PM

R276, for me it's Blanca/Mj Rodriguez, with Pray Tell/Billy Porter a close second.

Though I would miss the others, I would keep watching the series if they were the only two remaining characters.

At the other end of the spectrum: my least favorite character is Patty... largely because I don't enjoy Kate Mara. In anything.

by Anonymousreply 279July 24, 2018 10:19 PM

Also, here's the video for the performance R277 mentions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280July 24, 2018 10:21 PM

I saw the performance and didn’t recognize anybody,

by Anonymousreply 281July 24, 2018 10:55 PM

[quote]I was 7 years old in '88 so admittedly I'm not an expert but in the UK HIV/AIDS had whole primetime documentaries about it, which I remember watching.

Wait, what?! This is Datalounge, you mean you weren't turning tricks at seven and seducing you teachers? C'mon.

by Anonymousreply 282July 24, 2018 11:01 PM

Have to say I hated Electra for that first ridiculous fifteen minutes but I think her performance was fine and truly shined on the finale. As said, she has a strange cadence to her speech which obviously aggravates some here..

by Anonymousreply 283July 24, 2018 11:03 PM

They could rewrite the dialogue to fit her weird cadence. She does have sort of a royal/formal affectation. But the writers want her to speak like a bitchy drag queen and she sounds ridiculously unnatural.

But I’m sure that the Emmy nominations will roll on in....

by Anonymousreply 284July 25, 2018 12:02 AM

[quote]I was 7 years old in '88

Awww! So young!

by Anonymousreply 285July 25, 2018 12:24 AM

The way I see it, during the whole show, it's a facade that Elektra is projecting- posh, high class. And like people with new money, she over projects. In the penultimate ep and finale, when she's destitute, we get to see who Elektra really is. Her acting didn't bother me, because of this.

My favorite is Pray Tell, followed by Angel. Just give the damn Emmy to Billy already.

And r271, thanks for the memories! I would start mixing in this classic at the end of, "This is Acid":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 286July 25, 2018 12:25 AM

My favorite character is Blanca hands down. I’d even go so far as to say she’s my favorite character on tv right now.

by Anonymousreply 287July 25, 2018 12:26 AM

Billy Porter can ham this role up but it's written hammy. He does have that Tony. I don't see an Emmy here because the role is too out there (it has some minstrel in it). I wonder if the black hetero Showbiz establishment would be all that comfortable.

by Anonymousreply 288July 25, 2018 2:45 AM

Golden Globe nom for Billy Porter. Maybe. No Emmys. After OJ, Emmy wants to spoil a new “auteur” like Childish Gambino.

by Anonymousreply 289July 25, 2018 3:05 AM

r267 r268 the problem with Damon is he is a Mary Sue. No conflict, no tension. What has he really struggled with or overcame, aside from being kicked out of his house at the beginning? Since moving to NYC, he's gotten into a dance school, won TWO scholarships and a tour on an Al B. Sure tour (and video) despite being a mediocre dancer. It's just too implausible for me because I don't see the magic in his dancing. Ricky danced for two seconds and you see the charisma and appeal.

by Anonymousreply 290July 25, 2018 4:14 AM

R272 HIV stigma continued throughout the late 1980s & after; there was a big wave of deaths in the early 1990s. Protease inhibitors didn’t come in until the mid-1990s.

by Anonymousreply 291July 25, 2018 9:47 AM

R290 Ricky wiped the floor with Damon in that scene. Damon just isn't that good (his audition for the school was cringe worthy).

Perma smile is not enough acting to bring out character.

by Anonymousreply 292July 25, 2018 1:13 PM

R286 Girl, I'll house you, I'll house you. You're in my hut now. I've also heard this song mixed with it as well. We could develop the next soundtrack for Pose 2:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 293July 25, 2018 1:19 PM

[quote]Damon just isn't that good (his audition for the school was cringe worthy).

He's a seventeen year old dance student. No where did anyone ever say he was Baryshnikov.

by Anonymousreply 294July 25, 2018 4:14 PM

r294 Posters here on DL will never forgive him for that dance audition. They wanted the best dance routine ever committed to film. Because, you know, that's totally what [italic]auditions[/italic] to dance schools are for. Who needs a dance [italic]school[/italic] anyway?

by Anonymousreply 295July 25, 2018 4:27 PM

The routine was schmaltz.

by Anonymousreply 296July 25, 2018 5:38 PM

For the last fucking time, Damon's dance routine was a mess. He showed no technique whatsoever and was all over the place. If he was trying to express emotion it wasn't working. There is no way he would have gotten a scholarship or even been accepted into a beginner's class with that audition.

by Anonymousreply 297July 25, 2018 7:46 PM

R297 Wrong. He could have gotten into CLOWN SCHOOL.

by Anonymousreply 298July 25, 2018 7:50 PM

R296 the whole series was schmaltz but wonderful!

by Anonymousreply 299July 26, 2018 2:40 AM

[quote] He holds all the cards in that relationship which he demonstrated by packing up everything in the apartment leaving Angel with practically nothing.

See, I never got why he took EVERYTHING, when she knew she had nothing. What was all that stuff to him? I thought it was kind of cold.

by Anonymousreply 300July 26, 2018 6:32 AM

r272, I was working in Neiman's S.F. back in late 80's to '93, and Neiman's was super progressive at that time, hiring a transgendered MTF and out gay men in all departments. However, during that time, we had at least 6 people die of AIDS, including 2 in my department. People did want to touch or hug these men, for fear of catching the disease.

Yesss r293!!! This would be before the other 2 songs:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 301July 26, 2018 6:50 AM

The words “POSE” and “The category is....” keep popping into my head!

by Anonymousreply 302July 26, 2018 1:09 PM

For anyone going through "Pose" withdrawal, FX has posted a whole bunch of featurettes and clips on YouTube.

The featurettes are each themed, and offer behind-the-scenes interviews with the cast and crew about issues such as fashion, the ball scene, community, etc.

Warning: there are enough of them that you can easily go down a "Pose" rabbit hole. :-)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 303July 26, 2018 1:20 PM

I believe, r303, that the proper term is "Pose Hole".

by Anonymousreply 304July 26, 2018 1:39 PM

it will only succeed if they replace them 2 sorry tranny leads. amateurs ! not fun! fug!!!

by Anonymousreply 305July 27, 2018 12:07 PM

R305 sounds suspiciously like a presidential tweet.

by Anonymousreply 306July 27, 2018 12:32 PM

R303 I am so going through withdrawal. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 307July 27, 2018 1:35 PM

Porter looking pretty fab.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 308July 27, 2018 1:39 PM

Just saw the last episode today, a great wrap-up. And as much as I dogged her weak acting all season, some of my favorite moments on the finale came courtesy of Dominique Jackson, especially her hilarious reaction to Al B. Sure!

by Anonymousreply 309July 28, 2018 9:15 PM

I don't watch any of the daytime or evening talk shows, nor do I really follow entertainment news very closely. Can anyone tell me if this show got any publicity on the chat shows or on things like Entertainment Tonight or Access Hollywood?

by Anonymousreply 310July 28, 2018 11:45 PM

Featurettes blocked in EU.

by Anonymousreply 311July 29, 2018 12:02 AM

Ugh, I hope they eliminate Damon from the second season. Ricky is ten times the actor, a hundred times the dancer and a thousand times hotter. That said, I feel like Ryan Murphy wants Damon to be like the Finn (Cory Monteith) character on GLEE as the "outsider" with a sob story... inexplicably prominently showcased.

by Anonymousreply 312July 29, 2018 12:32 AM

On this first "Pose"-free Sunday, and for anyone jonesing for fix, a little flashback to how it all began in episode one...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313July 29, 2018 8:49 PM

I really love Damon’s relationship with Blanca so I hope he sticks around.

by Anonymousreply 314July 30, 2018 9:57 AM

Have to think if they knew they’d get a second season they wouldn’t have ended everything so tidily and happily.

by Anonymousreply 315July 30, 2018 11:04 AM

New interview with series co-creator Steven Canals (see link), where he talks about bringing ball culture to TV... and offers a tiny hint at what we might see in season two! (I'm excited already.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 316July 30, 2018 6:14 PM

Billy Porter is overrated, not my favorite by far

by Anonymousreply 317July 30, 2018 6:27 PM

I really enjoyed the show even though I didn't think it was actually that good - not good but very entertaining. When the scene happened with the food being left out in the hallway of the hospital, though, I immediately got pulled out of it. That would never have happened in NYC in 1987. By then there were actual AIDS wards in hospitals. Yes, it could have happened somewhere else, and it certainly did happen (and much worse) early on - 1981-1984. But by '87, it was a different climate in the city. I voluteered with GMHC during that period and by then, there was a whole support system set up. Sadly, one of my closest friends died in 1989 because he was on vacation with his family on the Jersey Shore when he got sick and the hospital there just didn't know what to do.

by Anonymousreply 318July 30, 2018 11:47 PM

R318 It’s not necessarily one of the better hospitals & they’re not being exact with the timeline. I think it’s more important that young people today see how people with AIDS were treated, generally, in the 1980s than that they show respect to the few urban hospitals that knew what they were doing by 1987.

by Anonymousreply 319August 1, 2018 8:38 AM

S2 will have a one year time jump.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 320August 4, 2018 12:34 AM

[quote]“We’re gonna do a one-year time leap,” Murphy said, adding that the sophomore season will begin in 1989 and “end in March of ’90, [bold]when Madonna’s ‘Vogue’ was released.”[/bold]

Careful now.

by Anonymousreply 321August 4, 2018 12:38 AM

[quote]Murphy doesn’t plan on asking the real Madonna to make a cameo as herself, though: “We haven’t tried to do too much of my typical stunt casting, and I don’t think we will… that’s not what the show is about.”

PHEW.

by Anonymousreply 322August 4, 2018 12:28 PM

To the poster who said he didn't care as much for the finale because everyone ended up happy, I don't think Stan's character ended up particularly happy -- in fact, I'd say he turned out to be the show's only real loser. By the time the credits rolled, he had lost both his family AND his lover. Yes, he could've gone back to his wife, but I think once she said she wanted him to leave his career on Wall Street behind and get a job selling insurance, that instantly killed any thought he had of reconciling with her, which is why he tried to go back to Angel, who turned him down. So yeah, I'd say Stan didn't come out of the show with much to be happy about.

I also agree that there really isn't much if anything left to bring back Evan's and Kate's characters for next season -- their storyline has basically run its course. Perhaps, if they want, at some point they could bring him back for a guest arc in which Stan reappears suddenly in Angel's life -- most likely once she's moved on and is seeing someone else.

by Anonymousreply 323August 6, 2018 11:39 PM

I wonder how they will handle Madonna and the Vogue phenomenon. Will she get dragged or will some of the characters love the song? It sounds like they may get the rights to use the song so I am not sure they will be hard on her if they get the rights.

by Anonymousreply 324August 7, 2018 1:38 AM

^Who cares?

by Anonymousreply 325August 7, 2018 2:21 AM

[quote]Will she get dragged or will some of the characters love the song?

In one of the behind-the-scenes featurettes (posted on YouTube by FX), one of the show's choreographers talks about the rise of vogueing, and having some of her moves lifted by famous performers (no names mentioned). She says at first she was excited and flattered... but how that then changed to, "HEY... wait a second..." soon after.

So, my guess is that the show might take the same approach -- everyone excited at first, but then... less so.

by Anonymousreply 326August 7, 2018 12:05 PM

Well, the show obviously cares r325 since they made a point of saying the next season will end with the release of Madonna's Vogue...

by Anonymousreply 327August 7, 2018 6:34 PM

The writing staff loves Janet Jackson and often have talks about her music in the writing room. Janet Mock is a huge Janet fan, and was instrumental in getting her song “Let’s Wait Awhile” for the love scene between Angel and Stan. I can see her guest starring in the show before I can see Madonna doing it

by Anonymousreply 328August 8, 2018 1:18 AM

I enjoyed the finale and agree that Blanca/Elektra are best aligned. I actually got teary-eyed at Angel’s reaction/acting when Blanca told her she was positive. It feltlike a true/real response.

And, I love Lulu and Candy, but they got a little crazy in this episode character-wise - need to dial it back. They were never that harsh to Blanca before ...

by Anonymousreply 329August 12, 2018 7:40 PM

Is fug Evan Peters returning for season 2?

by Anonymousreply 330September 14, 2018 1:51 AM

If was announced Sandra Bernhard’s Nurse Judy will be back next season and she will be a series regular. This is great news. I love her, and her performance was so understated and lovely. It left me wanting more.

by Anonymousreply 331September 21, 2018 2:36 PM

^^ Hopefully that doesn't mean Pray Tell or Blanca will be hospitalized and in her ward. There *is* a one-year time jump planned, so it's possible either one's HIV could have progressed.

And I also hope they give her character something to do -- signing Bernhard on for another season just for the sake of having her name attached to the show (without any real purpose or direction to the character) would be disappointing.

by Anonymousreply 332September 21, 2018 2:53 PM

Hopefully Nurse Judy will realize that being a nurse is drab and depressing so she quits her job and dedicates her life to vogue culture. She’ll create Haus of Bougie and go head-to-head with the other voyeurs, etc. Werq!

by Anonymousreply 333September 21, 2018 6:02 PM

While we all wait for season two, FX has still been churning out compilation videos, including this roundup of some of Pray Tell's best ball commentary. Enjoy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 334November 8, 2018 11:12 PM

If someone has to die I hope it's one of the youngin's cuz I'm not ready to say goodbye to Blanca or Pray Tell. They are the heart of the show.

by Anonymousreply 335November 8, 2018 11:30 PM

Advocate article:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 336November 30, 2018 2:59 PM

Thanks for that, R336!

I wonder who Murphy is referencing when he says: "Some people would come in and they were wrong for the part they were reading, but they were so good that I would write them a part because they were so talented.”

by Anonymousreply 337November 30, 2018 3:47 PM

Nice interview with Ryan Jamaal Swain (Damon). He's so young and effected (he cries/gets choked up so many times during this interview) but sweet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 338December 4, 2018 3:45 AM

BORING BORING BORING

2ND WORST CEPT FOR SCREAM THING

BORNG

by Anonymousreply 339December 4, 2018 6:42 AM

murphy is ashamed to have his name on the thing

but he is committed contractually to push it forward.

by Anonymousreply 340December 4, 2018 10:58 AM

Not true, R340. "Pose" has even made some year-end lists as one of the best shows of 2018, so there's nothing for Murphy to be embarrassed about.

by Anonymousreply 341December 4, 2018 12:23 PM

Seconding R341 -- Murphy has repeatedly said that "Pose" is the project he's most proud of creating.

He's also launching a new initiative called "Pose Gives Back." See link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 342December 4, 2018 1:36 PM

POPPY COCK MADAME

by Anonymousreply 343December 4, 2018 1:49 PM

It's showing up on a number of year-end 10 Best TV lists, including the New York Times and New York magazine.

by Anonymousreply 344December 4, 2018 1:51 PM

big fuking deal.

by Anonymousreply 345December 4, 2018 2:07 PM

its giving jobs to medicore actors

rah rah rah....

by Anonymousreply 346December 6, 2018 11:25 AM

HUZZAH!

Billy Porter earned a much MUCH deserved Golden Globe nomination for Best Actor in a Drama Series!

And the show itself was nominated for Best Drama Series!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 347December 6, 2018 9:27 PM

Bumping to cheer on the show and Billy Porter at the GGs tonight!

Their chances might be slim but, with the Hollywood Foreign Press, anything could happen.

by Anonymousreply 348January 6, 2019 5:20 PM

[bold]!!! Patti LuPone Joins Cast[/bold]

[quote]After screening episode six of the first season titled “Love is the Message”, co-creator Ryan Murphy, who served as moderator, told Pose star Mj Rodriguez, a hardcore Broadway fan, that she shares a lot of scenes with a new addition to the cast this season: the one and only Patti LuPone.

[quote]He also revealed that there will be a time jump from season one. It will go from the ’80s to 1990. Specifically, the first episode will take place the day that Madonna’s “Vogue” was released

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 349March 24, 2019 5:41 PM

I’m about three episodes in and there hasn’t been one authentic moment in this series yet. Some of it is interesting but none of it rings true. The whole Damien dance audition was ludicrous. I like Blanca but I don’t get how she passes as a manicurist in broad daylight but sticks out like a sore thumb in a dimly lit gay bar? Something’s not right. It takes place in 1987 but everyone’s made up for 2019 TV? They all seem so 2D. The Juilliard or NYU dance teacher knows about drag balls in Harlem? It seems like a time and place that has been completely reimagined as some other thing. And it’s boring. It’s certainly not The Deuce.

by Anonymousreply 350April 2, 2019 7:35 AM

I think its authenticity is there. But it's not a documentary. Its a poppy colored barely middle brow series. Such takes on underground cultures are usually like this. Take it for what it is or stop watching.

by Anonymousreply 351April 2, 2019 10:51 AM

Erm, I think this show needs as many viewers as it can get. I’m watching. Don’t get all Electra on my ass.

by Anonymousreply 352April 3, 2019 11:17 AM

Season 2 premieres on June 9th! (Do we need to start a Season 2 thread?)

New teaser at link...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 353May 5, 2019 12:17 PM

Critics want it to succeed which is why they rave but the show is a silly campfest. Why do we all have to pretend that it’s quality, “important” TV? There’s nothing wrong with camp (though it would be nice if they improved the quality of the scripts and the quality of the acting).

by Anonymousreply 354May 5, 2019 1:16 PM

It's so annoying how they always premiere gay-friendly shows opposite the Tony awards. HBO used to do that every year back in the "Sex and the City" days, premiering its new season episodes on the night of the Tonys (and I didn't have a VCR). Thank God now for the DVR!

by Anonymousreply 355May 6, 2019 3:22 AM

FX has released a bunch of new teasers and trailers for season two, which now premieres on Tues. June 11th.

Maybe they heard you, R355!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 356May 24, 2019 11:14 PM

Looks like they lifted more storylines from PARIS IS BURNING with Angel trying to be a model. There goes Octavia, the model. 💋

by Anonymousreply 357May 24, 2019 11:26 PM

Hopefully the "stars" will have learned to act this time around.

by Anonymousreply 358May 24, 2019 11:30 PM

Just a few more days until season two gets underway!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 359June 6, 2019 12:39 PM

r359 I felt a little jolt of excitement every time Lil' Papi popped up. Damn, I hate that the straight guy is my favourite, but here we are.

by Anonymousreply 360June 6, 2019 1:02 PM

I attended the premiere last night and the first episode is stellar. I was worried with the way they wrapped up season one they ran out of runway, but clearly season 2 is going to take the characters to some interesting places. The music was fantastic (as always) and it was fun to be back with Elektra, Pray Tell, Blanca, etc. The first episode has some super heavy and poignant moments but still has those larger than life set pieces that had the theater levitating. I won’t deliver spoilers but the first scene is especially powerful. They are going against AIDS in 1990 in a big way. Stellar.

by Anonymousreply 361June 6, 2019 1:19 PM

r361 How exciting! Please tell me Patti has a substantial role from the get-go?

by Anonymousreply 362June 6, 2019 1:22 PM

361- no Patti in episode 1. But a decent amount of Sandra Bernhard which I enjoyed. (Even if her acting is a touch stilted)

by Anonymousreply 363June 6, 2019 1:25 PM

Ooooh, good to hear, R361! Thanks for the scoop!

Really looking forward to the premiere and what I hope will be a ton of killer '90s music.

by Anonymousreply 364June 6, 2019 4:58 PM

Trailer, finally.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 365June 10, 2019 5:43 PM

That photographer is so handsome, but is he going to #MeToo Angel? I don't like the sound of that, at all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 366June 10, 2019 5:47 PM

SO MUCH to look forward to!

Thanks for the link, R365 -- the more I see of the season to come, the more excited I am for it to get started.

by Anonymousreply 367June 10, 2019 11:33 PM

I rewatched some episodes from Season 1 for a refresher and find myself appreciating it more. The acting still falls flat sometimes and its still got that Ryan Murphy corniness but I agree R351. Damon didn't even bother me the second time around. I'm a "Paris is Burning" ballroom historian so I'm curious to see where this goes. I think this season is either gonna make it or break it. A lot of straight black women have just discovered the show on Netflix and are loving it.

by Anonymousreply 368June 11, 2019 2:18 PM

It was surreal watching most of DLers who watched the show freak out over Damon when the first season was airing. He never bothered me so I couldn't understand their reaction. It wasn't just the acting; it felt like they were literally allergic to the actor and the character. So much venom, you'd think he was the second coming of Reagan or something.

by Anonymousreply 369June 11, 2019 2:27 PM

^^^haha. I don't know what it was but I really hated him too and wanted him gone. Watching this second time, not at all. I don't know what changed.

by Anonymousreply 370June 11, 2019 2:40 PM

Reviews are nice. A- for the first four episodes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 371June 11, 2019 3:40 PM

I hope the second season isn't too polished. Part of the charm of the first season was its low-budget realness. It almost felt like a show from the 80s, which gave it warmth.

by Anonymousreply 372June 11, 2019 3:53 PM

On tonight - I can't wait!

by Anonymousreply 373June 11, 2019 7:34 PM

Apparently, they'll do their own version of the famous ACT UP St. Patrick's Cathedral protest, a year after it happened, with trans up front. More revisionism?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 374June 12, 2019 12:13 AM

r374 Queer people staged that protest back then and queer people will stage it on this show. Does it really matter what ethnicity and gender they are? It's all the same family, after all.

Besides, would America back in the day really care if a trans black person was the face of the HIV/AIDS crisis? It only got dealt with (relatively) quickly because it also affected the whites, let's be real.

by Anonymousreply 375June 12, 2019 12:39 AM

Thanks R375. The transphobia on this board has gotten out of hand. I really enjoyed the first episode but noticed the editing was a bit scattered.

by Anonymousreply 376June 12, 2019 4:16 AM

"Does it really matter what ethnicity and gender they are?"

Tell that to the army of SJWs online who demand that Sylvia and Marsha be given credit for "starting" the Stonewall Riots and all gay activism, despite decades of work done by "cis" white male and female activists.

The S2E1 episode turned Stop the Church, an event with 111 inside arrestees and 5,000 outside protestors (which took place an entire year before the episode's 1990 setting), into newbie activist Pray Tell's glam runway walk, as if he created the entire event. No, bitches. Just no.

But don't let actual footage of the event prevent you from enjoying an otherwise amusing fictional TV show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 377June 12, 2019 7:18 AM

Yea I don't know about this.

by Anonymousreply 378June 12, 2019 2:20 PM

I mostly agree {r375}. I do think some white gay men are struggling with the newfound awareness of QPOC and trans issues and experiences. However, I got mad at that one line last night when I think Blanca said some to the effect that the government didn’t care that people were dying from AIDS because they were “queer” and of color. That’s simply not true. They didn’t care about them dying because they were gay. Yes white gay men on average may have more access to heathcare or support systems but the AIDS crisis was a result of homophobia, not racism.

by Anonymousreply 379June 12, 2019 2:57 PM

Truth is that white gays are still white. So they get treated better than minority gays.

by Anonymousreply 380June 12, 2019 2:59 PM

White is right.

by Anonymousreply 381June 12, 2019 3:34 PM

[quote]Yes white gay men on average may have more access to heathcare or support systems but the AIDS crisis was a result of homophobia, not racism.

I mean, it can be two things at the same time. Though I never said it was the result of racism, I just said it was dealt with relatively quickly because white men (in different countries) were dying because of it. This was an international effort, by the way.

by Anonymousreply 382June 12, 2019 3:39 PM

It's a white world. We just some squirrels trying to get a nut.

by Anonymousreply 383June 12, 2019 3:42 PM

Yeah, no. AIDS not being funded or discussed wasn't because of Trans Women Of Color (TM).

by Anonymousreply 384June 12, 2019 3:44 PM

Also, the Stop the Church event combined forces with WHAM, Women' Health Action Network, to make it also a protest about women's healthcare choices (i.e. access to contraception and abortion).

None of that was included in the episode's rather preachy script. They could have spent less time at yet another spaghetti dinner scene.

by Anonymousreply 385June 12, 2019 3:47 PM

Yeah I didn't like the premiere. Elektra back to being the villain. Gonna drag that out. Angel and the model stuff, no.

by Anonymousreply 386June 12, 2019 3:50 PM

[quote]Yeah, no. AIDS not being funded or discussed wasn't because of Trans Women Of Color (TM).

Literally no one is saying that so I don't understand the doubling down. I just said the AIDS crisis would've gone on much, MUCH longer if it predominantly affected (trans) men and women of colour. Thankfully (!!), it also affected white men, both in the US and in other western countries. And not all of them had Reagan in power at the time; in fact, only and exactly one of them did.

by Anonymousreply 387June 12, 2019 3:53 PM

I cannot Elektra's atrocious line readings and acting. It's like she's part robot the way her lines come out - monotone and no inflection.

by Anonymousreply 388June 12, 2019 4:00 PM

I cannot *take* Elektra's atrocious line readings and acting

by Anonymousreply 389June 12, 2019 4:00 PM

I agree. Just horrible. Sounds like a bunch of run on sentences.

by Anonymousreply 390June 12, 2019 4:03 PM

That puny church was supposed to be St. Patrick’s? I get that they never would have allowed them to film there, but St. John Divine is very liberal and supportive of gays and has a memorial by Keith Haring, couldn’t they have filmed there?

by Anonymousreply 391June 13, 2019 2:18 AM

Yes, it was much smaller, like a Presbyterian church in the suburbs. I'd give that a pass, since it was cheaper to rent and easier to fill with extras.

by Anonymousreply 392June 13, 2019 2:44 AM

Was giving clearance for Vogue Madonnas attempt to stay relevant? And she must have given them a discount, I would image the rights to it would be one of her highest? Or is that why the brand named actors aren’t back so they could afford it?

by Anonymousreply 393June 13, 2019 5:03 AM

Indya Moore is batshit crazy on Twitter but she is a phenomenal actress.

by Anonymousreply 394June 13, 2019 5:10 AM

Great Actress. I like Blanca too. MJ Rodriguez breaks my heart.

by Anonymousreply 395June 13, 2019 5:26 AM

The Hart Island scene was sad, and true.

by Anonymousreply 396June 13, 2019 6:51 AM

The first 5 minutes of the episode were heartbreaking

by Anonymousreply 397June 13, 2019 7:25 AM

Sadly (because I loved season one so much), I have to agree with the posters who were disappointed in the season two premiere. I found it SUPER-clunky in terms of narrative, performance and – as someone else upthread mentioned – editing. The church scene was especially all over the map, and there were so many random cutaways during the episode that it started to get distracting.

So much of the dialogue felt like it was written as an overt history lesson for the viewer, as opposed to organic conversations between friends/frenemies. Because it was so filled with exposition and explanation, it sucked a fair amount of the emotion out of what would otherwise have been really moving moments (Hart Island, the memorial service, etc.). For me, anyway.

Although two years have supposedly passed in the show's timeline, we have no real sense of what happened during that time. It *seems* like everyone is exactly where they were during the first season finale – did nothing change for anyone over two whole years? Did no one get a job? Start a new relationship? Nothing?

After season one's newfound humility and burying of the hatchet w/ Blanca, it was frustrating to see Elektra right back to being an entitled villain. IMO, it would have been much more interesting – for the characters AND the audience – to see a new villain (or villains) added to the cast. And, yes, I get that AIDS is the de-facto "villain," but still.

I did enjoy Lil Papi and Blanca exacting revenge on the creeper photographer, and it was so nice to see Madonna's former "Vogue" dancer, Jose Gutierez, show up as one of the ball judges – and, in what I assume is a big wink from the showrunners, one of the Voguers working it in the final ball sequence.

by Anonymousreply 398June 13, 2019 12:29 PM

*So much of the dialogue felt like it was written as an overt history lesson for the viewer, as opposed to organic conversations between friends/frenemies.*

This. We call it an "info drop," and it's a sign of amateur writing.

A writer must trust his/her audience to do homework IF the audience finds the writer's work interesting. The goal is to allow dialogue to develop organically and include enough info if one must for someone to research it independently. In S2E1 the writer did the homework for the audience and ensured the audience knew it. The information got between the characters and the audience.

I love to do research for characters/setting, and I have to stop myself sometimes because the knowledge starts taking over and the characters fade into the background.

by Anonymousreply 399June 13, 2019 1:29 PM

R398 My thoughts EXACTLY.

by Anonymousreply 400June 13, 2019 1:32 PM

R399 YES. Totally. Amatuer. The thing is, TV/Movie scripts usually go through lots of drafts before it's the one filmed. Sometimes even that day. Info drop, never heard that. That's totally what it is. No one caught that? Stuff like that can be easily fixed. However, it is probably the most fascinating show on TV, I think. Looking at the trans actors alone blows my mind.

by Anonymousreply 401June 13, 2019 6:03 PM

Sandra Bernhard is the worst actress

by Anonymousreply 402June 13, 2019 11:09 PM

Does or did Heart Island really exist?

by Anonymousreply 403June 13, 2019 11:10 PM

Hart Island, and yes. At least they didn't fabricate that scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 404June 14, 2019 12:30 AM

I agree there was too much exposition and preaching, but I still liked the episode. There was a lot of that preachiness last year too. Maybe it was more noticeable this episode because they were referencing real events.

I do love the relationships between Pray Tell and Blanca and Angel and Lil Papi. Indya Moore seems to have chemistry with just about anybody she is paired with.

I didn't miss Damon at all.

by Anonymousreply 405June 14, 2019 1:52 AM

R405 that’s true talent on Indyas part.

by Anonymousreply 406June 14, 2019 1:57 AM

Lil Papi is hot as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 407June 14, 2019 2:11 AM

Lil Popi might be straight, but he's got a thing for Angel. I suspect the two will hook up in the future.

by Anonymousreply 408June 14, 2019 1:18 PM

Thank you 404, that was such a heartbreaking scene in the show and even more heartbreaking reading the story behind it. I do hope it gets opened to the public and a proper monument is erected to all those that are buried there.

by Anonymousreply 409June 14, 2019 2:13 PM

Ryan Murphy said the last season will be set in 95 - 96

by Anonymousreply 410June 14, 2019 6:03 PM

Though it was far from perfect, I really enjoyed the first season, but I thought this episode was awful and I don't think I'll continue. Ah well...too many shows to watch as it is. Felt the same way about the first episode of the new season of Handmaid's Tale. Dreadful. And that show in it's first season was excellent. Too bad.

by Anonymousreply 411June 17, 2019 5:32 PM

Renewed for a third season!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 412June 17, 2019 10:51 PM

In Season 3:

Angel discovers the AIDS drug cocktail! Pray Tell investigates Bill Clinton's impeachment! Lil Papi helps Israel sign the accord with Palestinians!

by Anonymousreply 413June 17, 2019 11:26 PM

Do we need a "POSE -- Official Season Two" thread started so we can stop bouncing between this one and the season-two-premiere thread?

Lots of good discussion in both, but I feel so conflicted over where to post!

by Anonymousreply 414June 18, 2019 12:08 PM

Interviewed by Variety:

"MJ Rodriguez landed her first professional gig in a 2011 Off Broadway production of #Rent playing Angel: “Everyone always perceived her as a drag queen, but the reality of the matter is that I truly believe she was a trans woman”

The reality of the matter is just WHO on EARTH does Mj Rodriguez NOT truly believe was a "trans woman"?

Why is "trans-washing" a character cheered, but all other "washings" are abhorred? I hope we have reached "PEAK Trans" with all this news about Janet (I kid you not) Mock! Is that the most hilarious name for a "trans" person?

by Anonymousreply 415June 19, 2019 8:18 PM

[quote]I hope we have reached "PEAK Trans" with all this news about Janet (I kid you not) Mock!

Nope, you're just going to have to get used to being upset for years and years to come.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 416June 19, 2019 8:27 PM

over it

by Anonymousreply 417June 19, 2019 10:06 PM

This was and will always be a low-brown production with a good heart. If you "just can't" with the boiler-plate "info drop" scripts and hammy acting, it is NOT for you, dear. Yes we all know Dominique Jackson gives bizarre line readings - but it is a reference to a style that did exist. Sandra Bernhard is awful, yet a treasure. Everything is simplified. One of my big questions if how they set up Madonna - Blanca is FILLED with hope and expectation about this - so it seems a set up for future personal bitterness, as well as criticism of Madonna's exploitation/theft.

by Anonymousreply 418June 19, 2019 10:27 PM

low-brown haha Low Brow - created and pitched at very broad taste

by Anonymousreply 419June 19, 2019 10:28 PM

I've wondered this, too r418. Blanca is bound to be disappointed. How are they going to handle it? They have permission to use the song so I wonder if they will go there...

by Anonymousreply 420June 19, 2019 11:27 PM

Patti LuPone as a pseudo-Leona Helmlsey is cute, but Blanca will lose and get roughed up.

Condoms, condoms, condoms! The infomercial!

They seem to have (thankfully?) abandoned ACT UP as a plot-adjacent addition.

by Anonymousreply 421June 20, 2019 12:56 AM

Agree with R398. The writing on episode one was painful....everyone delivering lectures. Most of these actors are relatively inexperienced and Meryl would have trouble elevating the material from clunky.

Love the heart of this show but wish they had a script editor. How could someone direct that and not desperately want to rework the word to make it feel authentic?

by Anonymousreply 422June 20, 2019 1:28 AM

I don’t get how Pray Tell can be so preferential to Blanca and the House of Evangelista and be considered the neutral announcer.

by Anonymousreply 423June 20, 2019 1:48 AM

Yeah, that has bugged me too r423. It's like one moment he's having dinner with Blanca and then he's commenting about her in the ball.

by Anonymousreply 424June 20, 2019 4:13 AM

Goodness some of you are idiots.

by Anonymousreply 425June 20, 2019 4:23 AM

^^^ Pray Tell?

by Anonymousreply 426June 20, 2019 4:27 AM

think it should be Prey just because he's so creepy

by Anonymousreply 427June 20, 2019 11:34 AM

His character doesn't make a lot of sense. The ball scene has been reduced by the show and viewers of the show to one group and one city and one MC but it was never like that. The main gesture of the show has enough verisimilitude.

by Anonymousreply 428June 20, 2019 12:38 PM

How often did/do the balls take place, on the show they seem like every weekend, but I thought it was big ones monthly or quarterly. And why is every one a reveal the night of? You never see them finding out about the theme, coming up with ideas, creating the outfits and practicing the routines. I get no sense of the creativity of these people, everything comes full-formed and polished. And where is the money coming from to establish nail salons and high end outfits and props.

by Anonymousreply 429June 20, 2019 7:38 PM

[quote]You never see them finding out about the theme, coming up with ideas, creating the outfits and practicing the routines.

My guess is likely because that wouldn't make for very compelling television and would eat up too much of the show's one-hour runtime.

Yes, it works on reality shows like "Project Runway" – where the point is to witness the creative/creation process – but that's not what "Pose" is about, and watching the house mothers (or whomever) sew costumes or design set pieces would get repetitive and snooze-worthy pretty fast.

Just caught up on the second episode of the new season, which I thought was (thankfully) an improvement over the premiere. I loved Lil Papi's tearful "I'll take care of you" to Blanca -- which got me choked up -- and agree with other posters that MJ and Indya are the strongest actors on the show, with Billy Porter a close third.

by Anonymousreply 430June 21, 2019 12:27 PM

I had to mute Lil' Papi's crying as it was upsetting me too much. Talk about realness!

by Anonymousreply 431June 21, 2019 12:29 PM

WHo would not think Blanca isn't a woman? And who would be so vocal about it?

by Anonymousreply 432June 22, 2019 1:33 AM

Double negative. I'm too dumb to understand what you mean.

by Anonymousreply 433June 22, 2019 1:35 AM

Who is taller, Tom Cruise or Lil Papi?

by Anonymousreply 434June 22, 2019 1:37 AM

^^^ Are they an item? Do we need to do an intervention and save lil papi from the Scientologist?

by Anonymousreply 435June 24, 2019 1:03 PM

Wow, so they are adding real life incidences into the plot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 436June 26, 2019 2:41 AM

r436 um did you not see the premiere?

by Anonymousreply 437June 26, 2019 2:46 AM

R436 You are a fucking idiot. GO watch PARIS IS BURNING you dumb fuck. The whole show is a rip off. A bad one too.

by Anonymousreply 438June 26, 2019 3:50 PM

I can't stand the acting from Elektra, but I cackled like hell when she threw out the insult "mongrel" last episode at that other queen when she pulled out a hammer to fight during the ball. I'm gonna start adding that insult to my repertoire.

by Anonymousreply 439June 26, 2019 10:05 PM

Holy shit the best episode of the entire series. Angelica Ross as Candy was brilliant. Best acting of the year.

by Anonymousreply 440July 11, 2019 1:36 AM

This episode was outstanding.

by Anonymousreply 441July 11, 2019 2:31 AM

I loved the way the writers showed Candy’s different relationships at the funeral home. I didn’t love her character prior to this (except when she broke out a hammer- that was some funny shit), but I’ll never be able to listen to that Stephanie Mills song without thinking of this lip sync. Feels like they could have ended the show with some statistic around trans violence. Good acting on this episode.

by Anonymousreply 442July 11, 2019 2:44 AM

This is the second time this show has made me cry with a Stephanie Mills song

by Anonymousreply 443July 11, 2019 2:49 AM

R442. They did

by Anonymousreply 444July 11, 2019 2:53 AM

(442) I’ll have to rewatch, I missed it. Thanks

by Anonymousreply 445July 11, 2019 3:07 AM

It’s at the end before the credits. Something like 1,000 trans people have been killed since 2016

by Anonymousreply 446July 11, 2019 3:22 AM

Yes, over 1000 Trans and Gender Non Conforming people have been murdered since 2016.

by Anonymousreply 447July 11, 2019 3:23 AM

i'm going to miss Angelica. She really was one of the best actresses on the show. A brilliant supporting character.

My only quibble was her character was murdered and the murder didn't seem to be a big deal at the funeral. I would presume it would be even more sombre and sad and her parents didn't ask Blanca anything about if she knew anything about who might have killed her or how she and Judy got possession of the body (I would presume the parents would be called).

by Anonymousreply 448July 11, 2019 3:28 AM

I also didn’t like how it wasn’t made into a bigger deal that she was murdered.

It’s not like she died of natural causes or an accident etc. someone MURDERED her. You would think that would make everything even harder and darker for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 449July 11, 2019 3:31 AM

And if Candy was talking to everyone as a ghost she could have told them who killed her and solved the case!

Like that Lindsey Lohan movie “I Know Who Killed Me”

by Anonymousreply 450July 11, 2019 3:34 AM

Yeah, the parents acted like they were old neighbours. (Although the casting of Candy's mother was SPOT-ON).

by Anonymousreply 451July 11, 2019 3:48 AM

LOL r450. I could totally see Candy's ghost telling her friends "Why aren't you lazy ass hoes looking for my killer instead of stuffing your faces eating these damn sandwiches?"

I also didn't like how Candy's death was a way to prop up Pray Tell. He treated Candy like shit and at her funeral it was all about "oh, she was my sister" (when did we see them having a sweet moment together?). And of course, Candy's ghost has to forgive him. I think it would have been more effective if he was more guilt-ridden.

by Anonymousreply 452July 11, 2019 3:54 AM

C'mon even if it is fictional, a funeral is not the place to tell parents your child was murdered in a hot sheet hotel turning tricks.

by Anonymousreply 453July 11, 2019 9:50 AM

Between Electra and Prey Tell, it's hard to decide which is the worst actor

by Anonymousreply 454July 11, 2019 11:38 AM

Candy saying goodbye to her parents gave me a crying headache. I agree with all the posters above who say that Angelica Ross KILLED IT in this episode. So good! I'm sad to see her leave the show.

She's joined the cast of "AHS: 1984," though, so she's sticking around the Ryan Murphyverse. (See link below.)

[quote]Although the casting of Candy's mother was SPOT-ON

TOTALLY AGREE! Even the tone and cadence of her speech was perfectly Candy-esque.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 455July 11, 2019 12:07 PM

I think the point was that no one outside of their community cares that a trans was murdered. I forget who it was who said it, but the person did say that the police aren't going to investigate the murder of a trans person of color so the least they all could do was to give Candy a proper funeral.

by Anonymousreply 456July 11, 2019 1:23 PM

Seeing that shot of the lip-sync I'm going to watch the entire episode again, which i have have never done for this series.

by Anonymousreply 457July 11, 2019 9:58 PM

Candy = Venus Extravaganza?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 458July 12, 2019 12:03 AM

That's great news, R455. I'm glad to see that Angelica already has another job lined up.

by Anonymousreply 459July 12, 2019 1:01 AM

I was mad that Pray Tell didn’t have more of a guilty conscience about her death.

He treated that poor girl like shit, always.

At least the fool is starting to take meds for his condition.

by Anonymousreply 460July 12, 2019 9:29 PM

Queens treat everyone like shit, what's your point?

by Anonymousreply 461July 12, 2019 9:58 PM

She was a prostitute and was killed by a crazy john. Pray Tell had nothing to do with her death.

by Anonymousreply 462July 12, 2019 10:08 PM

Finally saw an episode. Ballroom deserves better! Murphy is SUCH A HACK. The dialogue is so stagey, unnatural and on the nose. Murphy makes Shonda Rhimes look like Shakespeare, and I’m not exaggerating.

by Anonymousreply 463July 13, 2019 4:07 AM

These marginalize people lived in sub human conditions often. They did not have cash to buy or make fabulous clothes for every ball. Ryan Murphy makes each ball look like something Anna Wintour would approve of. It was much much more low brow and the clothes were very cheap and tacky looking in the day. They need to include more thugs and drug dealers in the ballroom scenes.

by Anonymousreply 464July 13, 2019 10:11 AM

I'm enjoying it if nostalgia can be considered enjoyable. Such vibrant creativity in the drag scene back then. Good to see Jennie Livingston was a consulting producer.

by Anonymousreply 465July 13, 2019 2:23 PM

[quote]These marginalize people lived in sub human conditions often. They did not have cash to buy or make fabulous clothes for every ball. Ryan Murphy makes each ball look like something Anna Wintour would approve of. It was much much more low brow and the clothes were very cheap and tacky looking in the day. They need to include more thugs and drug dealers in the ballroom scenes.

Sweetie, it's FICTION.

by Anonymousreply 466July 13, 2019 3:36 PM

Jennie Livingston is actually going to direct an upcoming episode.

by Anonymousreply 467July 13, 2019 7:56 PM

The direction in the episodes I've seen are pretty mediocre. The screenplays are threadbare. But there's enough charm as light television.

by Anonymousreply 468July 13, 2019 8:07 PM

R468, I can totally hear your comment being read in Elektra's voice. ;-)

by Anonymousreply 469July 14, 2019 11:25 AM

Hate you r469 you beitch. Marry me!

by Anonymousreply 470July 14, 2019 8:00 PM

After last week's amazing episode this week was a complete waste of 60 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 471July 17, 2019 12:02 PM

The show just earned SIX Emmy nominations, including best TV Drama Series!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 472July 17, 2019 12:14 PM

Good for them!

It really is a good show.

Even though the newest episode was just okay.

by Anonymousreply 473July 17, 2019 5:37 PM

As soon as I saw it was going to be a Damon episode, I knew it was going to be awful. He's supposed to be an incredibly talented dancer, but he's clumsy and has no grace or charisma. Ricky, otoh, is the total package. And his smile! Gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 474July 18, 2019 1:26 PM

And shouldn’t Damon have a better body as a professional dancer? He got a bit of a belly.

BTW what use is a “degree” in dancing?

by Anonymousreply 475July 18, 2019 2:04 PM

Seems like Elektra could be very easily kept in check by simply whispering in her ear, “cocoon.”

by Anonymousreply 476July 18, 2019 2:10 PM

They can teach after the dancing career ends

by Anonymousreply 477July 18, 2019 2:55 PM

Was that really Sue Simmons in the opening news footage or was it a recreation??

by Anonymousreply 478July 18, 2019 3:12 PM

NO that was not Sue Simmons, the retired lesbian Channel 4 local news anchor. It said Channel 5 on Pose.

by Anonymousreply 479July 18, 2019 3:39 PM

Sue Simmons is light skin with green eyes...that was not Sue Simmons!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 480July 18, 2019 4:23 PM

Yes, it was like someone who didn't have a clue thought that Live at Five meant channel 5. Oy.

by Anonymousreply 481July 18, 2019 5:20 PM

Even tho she said her name was Sue Simmons, it certainly did not look like her

by Anonymousreply 482July 18, 2019 9:54 PM

Of course it wasn't actual vintage footage; how silly! The chubby interviewee was in a subsequent dramatic scene. But it looked authentically retro.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 483July 18, 2019 10:25 PM

Lil Papi in the first season said he was an equal opportunity lover -indicating he was bi.

by Anonymousreply 484July 18, 2019 10:29 PM

He's dating a chick with a dick, so that's not "officially" bi.

by Anonymousreply 485July 18, 2019 10:38 PM

Angel for all of you

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 486July 18, 2019 11:20 PM

r484 no I understand he is interested in the Trans model but in season one, when Damon I think asked about his hustle he said he was an equal opportunity lover - meaning he tricked with guys and girls.

by Anonymousreply 487July 19, 2019 2:15 AM

R486 Angel is with a tranny in real life

by Anonymousreply 488July 19, 2019 2:23 AM

Trannys are angels in real life!

by Anonymousreply 489July 19, 2019 2:36 PM

R483 Oh man, I forgot about that video.

I didn't realize that kid also had a video dancing to Cold Hearted!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 490July 22, 2019 2:35 AM

[quote]So why don't you just FUCK off, you mentally ill TROLL.

I believe "You overgrown ORANG-A-TANG!" is the phrase you're looking for!

by Anonymousreply 491July 22, 2019 3:12 AM

I would've thought ghost Candy's throat would've been slit and gaping open like Sylvia Sydney's in Beetlejuice.

by Anonymousreply 492July 22, 2019 3:38 AM

Could've blown smoke through it and stuff..

by Anonymousreply 493July 22, 2019 3:42 AM

I'm very mixed about Candy's death now there's been over a week or so since the episode.

On one hand I get that they wanted to illustrate what happens to transwomen of colour but it was basically a shot of Candy's body in a closet and then "oh, let's all forgive ourselves for treating Candy like shit, especially Pray Tell who was a complete asshole to her. But, you know, she was his sister so we'll just let it slide. They'll never find her killer. Let's lip-synch!"

Also, Angelica really was one of the best actors on the show. Whenever she was onscreen, you couldn't wait to hear her comebacks. But she also backed it up with good acting and realism that some of the actors just cannot do naturally.

by Anonymousreply 494July 22, 2019 4:50 AM

Candy was needed on another Ryan Murphy show, thus she is now dead. This is all fiction people. Candy has better employment opportunities than that old Queen Jussie Smollett (if anyone cares about him anymore). Candy has probably already moved into a 2 bedroom high rise rental in LA and leased a nice Mercedes Benz for herself. You go GURL

by Anonymousreply 495July 23, 2019 12:07 AM

I liked that they had Candy’s “ball-peen” hammer in this episode. A metaphor I can get my mouth around.

by Anonymousreply 496July 23, 2019 1:47 AM

MJ will play Audrey in Pasadena Playhouse's "Little Shop of Horror". Amber Riley will be Audrey II.

by Anonymousreply 497July 23, 2019 11:28 PM

Oh, an episode of Billy Porter chewing the scenery...

by Anonymousreply 498July 24, 2019 2:11 AM

Yeah, but I gotta give it up to him, R498. The man sure can sing.

by Anonymousreply 499July 24, 2019 2:33 AM

He can sing better than Sandra.

by Anonymousreply 500July 24, 2019 2:41 AM

Are people familiar with this song that Sandra is singing? It’s a Prince deep cut—do casual fans know it?

by Anonymousreply 501July 24, 2019 2:41 AM

I guess it was inevitable that, since Stritch died, Patti would move into "I'm Still Here."

There must be some kind of "Seven Ages of Diva" we could construct.

by Anonymousreply 502July 24, 2019 2:45 AM

I'm kinda glad the show is not doing the "oh, see she's not that bad" angle with Patti's character.

This is more realistic.

by Anonymousreply 503July 24, 2019 2:48 AM

This felt like one of those episodes of "The Dick van Dyke Show," when they put on their annual Christmas episode or school variety show. All we needed was "I Am a Fine Musician" and "The Little Drummer Boy."

by Anonymousreply 504July 24, 2019 3:00 AM

Back on track, a fabulous show.

by Anonymousreply 505July 24, 2019 3:09 AM

The Dancing and Dying Show

by Anonymousreply 506July 24, 2019 11:58 AM

I loved it. I know of no other show that be a mix of mawkish sentimentality, camp, drama , preachiness, good and bad acting and do it so well and be so entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 507July 24, 2019 12:18 PM

It’s fortuitous that Pose is giving Porter really good material to work with. Especially since they Emmy noms were just announced. People can tune in to see what the fuss is about and can see him excel, or “chew up the scenery” as someone else said.

Did the LuPone character honestly think Blanca would just give up so easily???? It’s backfiring on the bitch.

Sandra and her green dress were kinda fabulous.

Ugh, poor Pray Tell was abused, how sad.

by Anonymousreply 508July 24, 2019 8:05 PM

Did they release Patti's I'm still here on itunes?

by Anonymousreply 509July 25, 2019 1:08 AM

Give me my Emmy, dammit!!!!

by Anonymousreply 510July 25, 2019 2:07 AM

They made a mistake - Sometimes it snows in April is from Under a Cherry Moon - released in 2002. This is supposed to be the 1990s.

by Anonymousreply 511July 25, 2019 2:44 AM

And one of the protestors t-shirts is GAP circa 1998.

Put your dick back in pants R511 and quit pissing in everyone's corn flakes.

by Anonymousreply 512July 25, 2019 4:10 AM

Under the Cherry Moon came out in 1986/1987 sweetieR511

by Anonymousreply 513July 25, 2019 4:14 AM

I think Patti has a good shot at getting an Emmy nom next year.

by Anonymousreply 514July 25, 2019 4:43 AM

r513 woah you are correct...damn google. I thought Under a Cherry Moonn was much latter than Purple Rain.

by Anonymousreply 515July 25, 2019 7:27 PM

How do you know the song was written for "Under The Cherry Moon" and not performed before?

by Anonymousreply 516July 25, 2019 7:57 PM

"Sometimes It Snows In April" is from the Prince and the Revolution album "Parade" that was the soundtrack to the movie Under the Cherry Moon. The album was released on March 31, 1986.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 517July 25, 2019 8:38 PM

What exactly is Blanca going to do about her shop eviction? Picketing Lupone isn’t gonna out food on the table. What is she doing for money?

by Anonymousreply 518July 25, 2019 10:16 PM

r516 Because I am one of the 12 people who saw under a cherry moon lol.

by Anonymousreply 519July 25, 2019 11:20 PM

Blanca’s demonstration outside the boarded up store will get the attention of Page Six which will embarrass Patti and force her to settle a lawsuit and give Blanca her store back.

by Anonymousreply 520July 26, 2019 12:30 AM

[quote]I thought Under a Cherry Moonn was much latter than Purple Rain.

I think "Purple Rain" came out in 1984.

by Anonymousreply 521July 26, 2019 12:48 AM

Candy impressed me as a fatal ghost. I loved the way she tapped the pill bottle after she dumped it into Pray’s hand. Like she was ashing a cigarette. Nice touch.

by Anonymousreply 522July 26, 2019 1:15 AM

the plot lines are getting more and more ridiculous each week next week former hooker turned top fashion Model Angel will be the main focus. Lil Papi will soon be recruited by Princeton as minority outreach

by Anonymousreply 523July 26, 2019 1:16 AM

Since they have Patti LuPone playing Leona Helmsley, can they cast Julie Brown to play Madonna?

by Anonymousreply 524July 26, 2019 1:19 AM

The first season was so much better. Tighter, more cohesive, better stories. Now, the stories are getting more outlandish, Porter is getting more shrill with each episode, Angle's story this season sucks, and as stated above, it's not believable. I love Patti and Sandra but they don't really add anything to the show and I don't care to see them sing again.

I think the first season was so good and self-contained that it's hard to top it.

by Anonymousreply 525July 26, 2019 1:40 AM

So, the meager talent show was for a dozen men with AIDS? They raised $4K at balls to put on that little show? She called Johnny Mathis? Was he even living in a 500-mile radius at the time?

By 1990, there were large-scale AIDS benefits each month in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 526July 26, 2019 4:32 AM

at every ball it seems money is unlimited to make these trannies look like a million bucks. the reality of ball life for these trans was to make costumes from material that was either stolen or found in the trash somewhere... the producers removed the low end sleaziness of the times...the show makes the ball attendees seem almost classy, which was not the case

They need more scenes of these people trying to figure out how to complete a Section 8 application and time sitting in govt offices applying for public assistance and food stamps and being told that Welfare to Work is something they must comply with.

by Anonymousreply 527July 26, 2019 11:30 AM

What is Pray Tells’ actual work? It’s not in entertainment right? Why were he and Blanca, or the nurse to have a musical background to put on a show in the first place?

by Anonymousreply 528July 26, 2019 11:58 AM

R524 I love you

by Anonymousreply 529July 26, 2019 12:50 PM

I wonder how Sandra feels about the Madonna storyline?

Although she seems like she’s gotten over her, it’s ancient history by now. Still, this time period was at the height of their friendship, so it wouldn’t surprise me if it opens up some old wounds.

by Anonymousreply 530July 26, 2019 12:53 PM

R521, Today is the 35th anniversary of the release of Purple Rain. I remember seeing it with my mom and I had to beg because it was rated R, but I was in love with Prince.

R519, I was also at the cinema and saw Under the Cherry Moon in 1986...

by Anonymousreply 531July 26, 2019 1:53 PM

R530- if you listen to Sandra’s show on Sirius, she’s very matter of fact and funny about her Madonna years. She doesn’t seem wistful or pining.

by Anonymousreply 532July 26, 2019 8:16 PM

R532 how so?

by Anonymousreply 533July 26, 2019 8:19 PM

R532- Sandra will often just sort of ramble and free associate in the opener of every show. It sounds awful but it’s entertaining. She will often share random memories and every now and then Madonna will come up. (Not in an obsessive, fixated way) For example, she once impersonated the way Madonna would order a “Caesar saaalad” in her Midwestern accent. When she joins Andy, he always baits her with Madonna as he is her #1. She made fun of the Madame X roll out. “Madame X is a secretary! Madame X is a stenographer!” And so on. It’s always funny, a little bitchy yet affectionate at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 534July 26, 2019 8:28 PM

Are you bitches in a coma? Last night was the best episode of the season bar none. So many memorable scenes and lines. I lived for last night’s episode!!! The kiki brunch scene was hilarious! The graduation party scene was like a death drop...so much tea spilled by Damon. I can rewatch Electra’s facial expressions over and over...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 535August 7, 2019 4:26 PM

r535 I think most people are in this other thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 536August 7, 2019 4:29 PM

Thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 537August 7, 2019 4:42 PM

So can someone officially close this one so I don't have to check it and keep it watched?

by Anonymousreply 538August 8, 2019 11:15 PM

r538 Doubt anyone will post here anymore now that the link to the newer one has been posted.

by Anonymousreply 539August 8, 2019 11:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!