Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

POSE Season 2 Premiere Official Discussion Thread

That opening scene was POWERFUL. The acting from Billy Porter superb once again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 584June 14, 2020 8:49 PM

This episode is soooooo sad. OMG

by Anonymousreply 1June 12, 2019 2:13 AM

Are Evan Peters, Kate Mara and James Van Der Beek not on this season?

by Anonymousreply 2June 12, 2019 2:31 AM

That protest at the church was real...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 12, 2019 3:00 AM

SPOILER!

. Has it not occurred to Angel that models, especially runway models, are naked a lot and in front of people? Lots of dressing and getting dressed by people. They will see your dick, sweetie!!!

by Anonymousreply 4June 12, 2019 3:58 AM

It was good.

Trudy was unrecognizable !!

Love 💕 Electra! Such a bitch!.

by Anonymousreply 5June 12, 2019 3:59 AM

I fucking love Electra!

The episode needed more of her.

by Anonymousreply 6June 12, 2019 4:19 AM

It was a strong premiere. I was worried that the quality would dip.

Indya Moore may be crazy on Twitter but she's an excellent actress.

And they were very complimentary towards Madonna and Vogue.

And Lil Pap is HOT. AS. FUCK.

by Anonymousreply 7June 12, 2019 4:42 AM

so Evan Peters, Kate Mara and James Van Der Beek were only season 1 characters?

by Anonymousreply 8June 12, 2019 4:56 AM

Yes, their stories are finished r8.

And does anyone really miss them?

by Anonymousreply 9June 12, 2019 4:58 AM

is the actor who plays Lil Papi gay IRL?

by Anonymousreply 10June 12, 2019 5:02 AM

Blanca has some weird obsession with Vogue

by Anonymousreply 11June 12, 2019 5:15 AM

The show is fortunate that the actors are all highly likable and moving as the dialogue their given is extremely didactic and sounds as if cribbed from Buzzfeed-level cultural criticism.

by Anonymousreply 12June 12, 2019 5:23 AM

that Marie Antoinette thing was tacky even for Elektra

by Anonymousreply 13June 12, 2019 5:34 AM

I do wonder where they are going with Vogue. It seems to be more than a one-episode thing, and as r11 pointed out, Blanca has some obsession with it that seems to set her up for disappointment considering what Pray Tell told her about what happens when the "mainstream" gets hold of something.

Also anyone amused by the fact that Sandra Bernhard's character was in this episode a lot with Vogue playing throughout and then Jose (from Blond Ambition and the Vogue video) was in the last ball sequence. Bernhard and Madonna were friends during this period (1990).

by Anonymousreply 14June 12, 2019 5:39 AM

Didn’t Madonna get Vogue from NYC underground gay nightlife? They (LGBT) know that they started that and she’s making it mainstream. They think that a very famous white Woman will change things for the LGBT community now that she’s brought their style to the mainstream but they will be disappointed when the fraus adopt it as their own and give little to no acknowledgement of the “fags” that started it.

by Anonymousreply 15June 12, 2019 10:14 AM

R10 the Lil Papi character is straight, not sure about the actor IRL

by Anonymousreply 16June 12, 2019 12:40 PM

Looking at his Insta, it could go either way with Angel Bismark Curiel, though I'm leaning straight. He seems like he's goofy and fun, just like on the show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 12, 2019 1:13 PM

Loved seeing Alexander DiPersia's hairy chest peeking through at one point.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 12, 2019 1:26 PM

Sandra Bernhard who never registered with me before was amazing too in the clinic scene.

by Anonymousreply 19June 12, 2019 1:44 PM

R12 BINGO

by Anonymousreply 20June 12, 2019 2:02 PM

I want Papi to do adult thing to me.

by Anonymousreply 21June 12, 2019 3:02 PM

I wasn't expecting much from season 2, but boy, was I wrong. Bravo to Billy Porter. He was mesmerizing. I wasn't paying too much attention to the opening credits, but did Gwyneth Paltrow direct this episode??

by Anonymousreply 22June 12, 2019 3:17 PM

this is probably Ryan Murphy's best show

by Anonymousreply 23June 12, 2019 3:41 PM

r22 Gwyneth Horder-Payton.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24June 12, 2019 3:44 PM

r23 Do we know how much involvement he had this season? Some are saying others took over the reins from him, but he was still around for the promo tour...

by Anonymousreply 25June 12, 2019 3:46 PM

Ryan Murphy is just producing. Janet Mock and Our Lady J and whatever other trans people taking from Paris is Burning are behind this. I did not like the premiere. Elektra back to being a villian. Boring. She's the Sue Sylvester? You know how they'll drag that out. Kind of negates the whole last season finale/arc that I loved. Angel and the model stuff, no. I'm not expecting much now. They better come up with some storylines QUICK. The put downs and fights at the ball are getting old.

by Anonymousreply 26June 12, 2019 3:59 PM

[quote]They better come up with some storylines QUICK. The put downs and fights at the ball are getting old.

Why don't you just call FX and tell them to cancel it?

by Anonymousreply 27June 12, 2019 4:42 PM

[quote]They better come up with some storylines QUICK.

Did you miss Blanca losing her job, Angel getting #MeToo'd, Elektra becoming a villain again, and the whole HIV/AIDS storyline? Damon's boyfriend is returning home so that should feed some drama as well.

by Anonymousreply 28June 12, 2019 4:50 PM

“Stunning pictures. I also heard from my colleague how you and your... friends... beat him senseless to steal them. A professional model needs to be professional, and your actions are anything but. It’s truly unfortunate.”

by Anonymousreply 29June 12, 2019 5:03 PM

Does anyone else get this song stuck in their head when they see the title of this show?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30June 12, 2019 5:07 PM

R27 I won't have to. R28 Yea I know but it all seems so blah and standard. Of course there will be drama with Ricky feeling himself because he was on tour with Al B. Sure and regret/resentment from Damon. Yadi yada yada. It's only one episode so I'm gonna be more patient. I think I expected more of something. I don't know what. R29 RIGHT. I didn't like how any of that went. It felt like a cop out to me. Maybe Eileen Ford will find out later like Patti Lupone (Oy Vey) will with Blanca. Haha.

by Anonymousreply 31June 12, 2019 7:21 PM

I also don't like them playing around with ACT UP history like that. All of a suddenly the House of Evangelista is front and center of the protest. Haha. Yea ok. My boyfriend has completely lost interest and he was the one who made me watch it originally. I don't like their 90s stock footage spliced in either. Feels disjointed to me. First season didn't need that. But they never could get a proper street shot that didn't have modern cars and background.

by Anonymousreply 32June 12, 2019 7:29 PM

I’m relieved the horrible Damon had very little to do this episode, but I’m sure we’ll have to ensure him and Ricky at same point; Damon and his “dancing” was the worst part about season 1 (remember his horrible audition?”)

In the previews, it looks like Blanca is opening her own nail salon? How does that work — from scraping by to pay the rent and put food on the table, to renting a retail ground floor space in NYC?? Righhhttt.

Also, why don’t the rest of her “children” get jobs?? Certainly the two queeny guys aren’t in school to better themselves.

Despite my complaints above, I do like the show and am glad it’s back.

by Anonymousreply 33June 12, 2019 8:19 PM

^^ ugh ensure = endure

by Anonymousreply 34June 12, 2019 8:34 PM

[quote]I also don't like them playing around with ACT UP history like that. All of a suddenly the House of Evangelista is front and center of the protest. Haha. Yea ok.

How did you get that? They went to a rally run by Bette Midler's daughter Sophie, and learned of the protest and attended. There were lots of people filling the aisles. The camera focused on them because that's who the show is about. I never got any impression they were in charge or the center.

by Anonymousreply 35June 12, 2019 9:41 PM

Thank you R24. I wasn't paying attention and only saw Gwyneth part of the name.

by Anonymousreply 36June 13, 2019 1:03 AM

R35 That's what it felt like. I guess. If you say so. I'll let it slide. They set it a year later too. Bothers me. It's cool someone is dramatizing the ballroom world though. I wish the real people were all here to see it. Only probably a handful.

by Anonymousreply 37June 13, 2019 6:18 PM

This the worst show.

by Anonymousreply 38June 13, 2019 6:41 PM

Billy Porter needs to be in a Motivo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39June 13, 2019 6:56 PM

I'm curious what all of a sudden makes Our Lady J and Janet Mock television writers. Or writers at all. Didn't these two run Transparent into the ground? Just because you've had the chop, it doesn't suddenly imbue you with talent and skill to write. I don't care if you've had a particular experience (which, btw, is one fragment of Pose), that's why writers do research. It's like HBO going out and hiring Mathilde Krim and Anthony Fauci to adapt And the Band Played On.

by Anonymousreply 40June 13, 2019 6:58 PM

This is on again?

by Anonymousreply 41June 13, 2019 7:08 PM

R41 yes. Love it.

by Anonymousreply 42June 13, 2019 7:59 PM

I read an interview with Ryan Murphy who said the last season will be set in 95 - 96. So there is at least another season. Also, Janet Mock or one of those people said they wanna potray trans people with a positive light and life. To show them that they have a place in this world. So I don't think there will be any grim endings for anyone like the people it is inspired from (i.e. beating up the photographer, robbing the musuem with no consequences). I do wonder if Elektra will take the Dorian Corey storyline and murder a man and then stash him in her closet. haha. She ends up in trouble again later. R40 I know. I totally had the same thoughts. I really hated Blanca's line about Roy Rogers. Ugh. They just had to throw that in there for authenticity and it sounded so amatuer. Not like real dialogue. They definitely went back to another viewing of "Paris is Burning" before writing this season. Now we're hearing the slang words clock and mop. Angel's storyline, Vogue, Roy Rogers etc...

by Anonymousreply 43June 14, 2019 6:12 PM

[quote]the last season will be set in 95 - 96

So just when the protease inhibitors came out. It's going to be awful seeing who made it and who didn't.

by Anonymousreply 44June 14, 2019 6:15 PM

The irony of the first episode is that its script erased gay white men from ACT UP to being mere extras, and was written by three gay white men who weren't doing any activism in the 1990s.

by Anonymousreply 45June 14, 2019 7:43 PM

White gays need to be that attention seeking huh?

by Anonymousreply 46June 14, 2019 7:44 PM

Black trans need to be that big of credit grubbing liars, huh?

by Anonymousreply 47June 14, 2019 8:39 PM

R12 is correct. The dialogue is now pedantic and instructive and in no way resembles the way people actually talk.

It's always been an imperfect show, but it deserved kudos for doing something different. Last night's premiere somehow very stale and preachy. And Bernhard's acting was stiff as a board.

by Anonymousreply 48June 14, 2019 8:49 PM

It's crazy but this show got even preachier than it was in season 1.

Ryan should have had "Fame" playing in the background when that actress was forced to remove her clothes by the pervy photographer. That was a missed moment for some levity that is so badly needed in this show.

by Anonymousreply 49June 16, 2019 1:49 AM

They even stole the time jump from "Paris is Burning" by placing it in 1990 just like the ending of the film. Seeing articles about "why the time jump?" and the importance of Madonna and Vogue going mainstream like there was some deep reasoning behind it on their part. haha. No, they just took it from the documentary. Did anyone notice the salon customer saying to Blanca, "Z100 has been playing it nonstop. It's gonna be the song of the summer" and then she winked at Blanca. Haha. Come on. And the clerk at Hart island with all the attitude saying, "Welcome to Hart island. Just a mass grave of people who's families couldn't afford a burial or unclaimed bodies from the morgue." Who talks like that? Pray Tell and Blanca wouldn't know that already? They were explaining to us, the audience, but a total amatuer way.

by Anonymousreply 50June 16, 2019 4:42 AM

Contrary to an earlier post up thread , I read that Evan peters actually is returning to pose for a second season.

by Anonymousreply 51June 16, 2019 6:27 AM

R51 sure hope so.

by Anonymousreply 52June 16, 2019 7:00 AM

I don't know who said Lil Papi is straight but he's not, he said in season 1 that he's an "equal opportunity lover", meaning bisexual. And I feel like he's about to have a thing with Angel which is good because I'd like to see his body up close.

by Anonymousreply 53June 16, 2019 7:02 PM

r53 I think he was referring to his prostitution clients, not to his actual orientation. Meaning, he's willing to go gay for pay if the money's good.

by Anonymousreply 54June 16, 2019 7:24 PM

R54 got it right.

by Anonymousreply 55June 16, 2019 7:25 PM

Did DL have a thread about Season 1? I can't find anything. I just watched it all on Netflix over the weekend & was surprised I really liked it. It seemed kind of corny and like a watered down Paris is Burning in previews, but it delivered a lot more. The only annoying thing was that Electra has a weird way of speaking or maybe it's just bad acting - but it keeps taking me out of the scene because it sounds like she's reading lines in her head. Everything else, I like. I never saw Billy Porter in anything but he's great.

by Anonymousreply 56June 17, 2019 6:40 PM

[quote]Did DL have a thread about Season 1? I can't find anything.

r56 It had a couple of them but this was the main one. I think the other big one might have been deleted because the comments were so nasty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57June 17, 2019 6:46 PM

Thanks r57. Yeah the T comments can get pretty bad. I was actually a little surprised that most of the leads are trans... and we (so far) have no gay male drag queens as main characters. Billy is a major gay character - so there's that, but he's not doing any of the balls. Regardless, the first season arc and storytelling was pretty good. I hope it doesn't spin off into some nonsense like other Murphy projects.

I have been debating if I could post this - but I honestly felt like the "houses" - especially Blanca's house - gave me a Golden Girls vibe. I doubt they were trying for that but it was very much about the chosen-family who will stick with you...and the shenanigans you get into with that family. It's hard to recreate what GG had - the "heart" of that show is a rare thing on tv, but they seem to have some of it here.

by Anonymousreply 58June 17, 2019 6:53 PM

r58 I think the two young gay guys who do drag balls (the ones who helped Elektra with her Marie Antoinette act) and who also featured in the first season are just dancers in real life and so the showrunner probably didn't trust them enough to deliver extensive lines.

I agree that the family theme is huge in this show and it's exactly what makes it so transgressive.

by Anonymousreply 59June 17, 2019 6:58 PM

Strike a pose!

by Anonymousreply 60June 17, 2019 7:13 PM

R59 You are aware Pose is based on a real thing, right?

by Anonymousreply 61June 17, 2019 7:16 PM

r61 What exactly about my post implies otherwise? The mainstream audience consuming this show is largely unaware of the real thing or the original documentary. So yes, to them, a show featuring marginalised people (at the time and to this day) behaving as if they're one big family is very much considered transgressive. As I see from the comments on bigger sites that review this show and on Twitter.

The world is quite a bit larger and decidedly less gay than this DL bubble you seem to be caught in.

by Anonymousreply 62June 17, 2019 7:34 PM

R62 How stupid do you think people are? You don't have to be a DLer to have heard of Paris is Burning and everyone on the planet knows the song Vogue. If anyone who watches the show hadn't heard of the ballroom scene it wouldn't take them more than ten seconds to find out more. Not everyone out there is braindead and lacking the ability to look things up.

by Anonymousreply 63June 17, 2019 7:49 PM

R56 There is a first and second thread on the first season. The second thread is still active along with this one for Season 2. Good luck with the new search engine!!! haha.

by Anonymousreply 64June 17, 2019 9:14 PM

https://www.datalounge.com/thread/21610513

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65June 17, 2019 9:16 PM

Renewed for a third season!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66June 17, 2019 10:50 PM

Pose was always going to be three seasons. The third is the last.

by Anonymousreply 67June 17, 2019 10:54 PM

I mean, that was the plan on the showrunners' part, but the network obviously cares about the ratings and critical acclaim, not the creatives' plans.

by Anonymousreply 68June 17, 2019 10:56 PM

R67 Right. I posted about it.

by Anonymousreply 69June 17, 2019 11:48 PM

I love Electra. She looks FIERCE

by Anonymousreply 70June 19, 2019 2:05 AM

That guy's body was hot.

by Anonymousreply 71June 19, 2019 2:06 AM

R71 he was ok. Did nothing for me.

Elektra walking down the street was beautifully shot and she looked phenomenal. Also, she’s not saying her lines flat in this episode. She has a lot of personality

by Anonymousreply 72June 19, 2019 2:07 AM

I loved Penelope Cruz winning. She was humbled.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73June 19, 2019 2:09 AM

Wrong thread

by Anonymousreply 74June 19, 2019 2:09 AM

Ricky is so hot and Damon is so underserving.

by Anonymousreply 75June 19, 2019 2:18 AM

I don’t like Damon. Idk why but I don’t. Ricky is a cutie.

I love Patti Lupone

by Anonymousreply 76June 19, 2019 2:22 AM

What was that cheesy shit with the name titles for Elektra’s new recruits. That was odd...

by Anonymousreply 77June 19, 2019 2:30 AM

I love this show but good God the script tonight is TERRIBLE.

by Anonymousreply 78June 19, 2019 2:35 AM

R77 this episode has been a lot lighter and more fun imho. I love the show but it’s always heavy. Tonight has been fun and sorta campy.

by Anonymousreply 79June 19, 2019 2:36 AM

The word “fuck” is being used a lot tonight. Janet Mock clearly likes that word.

by Anonymousreply 80June 19, 2019 2:38 AM

Since when did that word get past censors on basic cable?

by Anonymousreply 81June 19, 2019 2:42 AM

I LOVED THE LINE ABOUT GENTRIFICATION. SO MUCH TRUTH.

by Anonymousreply 82June 19, 2019 2:48 AM

I love how that guy told Damon to lose 10 lbs. He carries it all in his face.

by Anonymousreply 83June 19, 2019 2:54 AM

Is it me or is Billy Porter kind of annoying this season? Just a little bit...?

by Anonymousreply 84June 19, 2019 2:58 AM

R77 R78 My thoughts exactly. I think it's GLEE roots are showing. haha. Did anyone catch in the credits that the consulting producer is fucking Jennie Livingston! This bitch is still profiting from these people.

by Anonymousreply 85June 19, 2019 3:27 AM

I thought the episode was a bit too on the nose and some of the dialogue was cringeworthy. But I thought MJ Rodriguez did a great job and she held her own with Patti.

OH, and this...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86June 19, 2019 4:48 AM

The acting on this show is such a mixed bag. Ranging From truly great and naturalistic to obviously amateurish.

by Anonymousreply 87June 19, 2019 5:36 AM

Yeah r87. We have some great acting happening and then other moments it’s bad.

Papi is a terrible actor, idc how “cute” he is.

MJ Rodriguez should stop wearing sleeveless. It exposes that she’s trans and not cis. Women don’t have that body type.

Elektra is amazing. Idc what y’all say.

by Anonymousreply 88June 19, 2019 10:50 AM

There’s something so heartbreaking and moving about MJ’s performance. She has so much charisma and exudes so much warmth and authenticity. It’s really a stellar performance. I suspect they will eventually kill off Blanca and that will rank up there as one of the most crushing on screen character deaths.

by Anonymousreply 89June 19, 2019 11:46 AM

Angel will be the next house mother when Blanca dies.

by Anonymousreply 90June 19, 2019 11:48 AM

R89 Your probably right. Realistically, her prognosis was just not survivable during the time period this show takes place. In the scene during season one where she says "I always knew I wasn't going to be long for this world" , something about it rang so true. A lesser actor would have made it sound like pure melodrama but it just seemed so real.

by Anonymousreply 91June 19, 2019 11:51 AM

I agree R89, MJ’s performance is heartbreaking and wonderful, and I’ve thought so since season 1. She deserves an Emmy. And Papi’s crying made me well up too. He killed that scene (and is sexy as fuck too).

by Anonymousreply 92June 19, 2019 8:41 PM

❤️❤️❤️❤️

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93June 19, 2019 8:42 PM

MJ Rodriguez and Indya Moore are both sensational and give the best performances.

But I feel Billy Porter is going to get the biggest push for an Emmy because he knows how to work PR (see his recent attention-grabbing appearances) and he has perhaps the showiest performance.

But Rodriguez and Moore are far more deserving.

by Anonymousreply 94June 19, 2019 11:51 PM

Can anyone shed light on historical accuracy of any of the events?

As posted above, the church protest happened. Also, I'm certain that fights did happen at balls sometimes (and likely still do).

Did Leona Helmsley really have a run in with a trans person running a nail salon in her building?

Did Ford ever really hire a trans model?

by Anonymousreply 95June 20, 2019 6:37 AM

R95 No and No.

by Anonymousreply 96June 20, 2019 9:06 AM

So Janet Mock and Papi are dating in real life?

by Anonymousreply 97June 21, 2019 9:02 PM

Ford models dropped edgy models in the early 80s and helped create the super models such as Turlington. in the late 80s or early 90s they would not have hired a tranny. That plot point on Pose is extremely far fetched as the photog was a friend of the agency head and would have bad mouthed the tranny and friends who beat him to pulp.

by Anonymousreply 98June 21, 2019 9:15 PM

R98 they don’t know Angel is trans.

by Anonymousreply 99June 21, 2019 9:16 PM

R99 I thought they made her drop her knickers? Once that happens no trans is ever going to "pass".

by Anonymousreply 100June 21, 2019 9:17 PM

R100 the photographer did. It was just him and her. They got the photos and negatives back so he has no proof of it.

Ford doesn’t know (at least yet) that she’s trans.

by Anonymousreply 101June 21, 2019 9:18 PM

Did they NAME that character Eileen Ford on Pose??????

by Anonymousreply 102June 21, 2019 9:32 PM

Papi is so adorable.

by Anonymousreply 103June 21, 2019 10:53 PM

Papi is very cute

by Anonymousreply 104June 21, 2019 10:58 PM

R102 Angel called her Ms. Ford. No mention of a first name yet but In PARIS IS BURNING Eileen Ford is the one there at the modeling search. The photographer knew Angel was trans before "she" dropped her knickers. It was confirmed after that. He would have told Ford as they were friends just as the others who in this thread have mentioned. Ford would have believed him immediately without proof and he would tell anyone else in the industry. Angel would be blacklisted. Angel would have gotten away with nothing. We still might see that happen. If it doesn't, then it's bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 105June 22, 2019 12:26 AM

He didn’t tell Ford because Angel will tell on him for what he did to her and try getting him in trouble, WITH THE LAW.

by Anonymousreply 106June 22, 2019 12:29 AM

Yeah, no, R106.

by Anonymousreply 107June 22, 2019 12:34 AM

Yeah, yes. R107

by Anonymousreply 108June 22, 2019 12:36 AM

As a matter of fact, you do not have legal right to return, after the event, to a non-denounced alleged perpetrator of a crime and beat him to a pulp.

by Anonymousreply 109June 22, 2019 1:12 AM

But he doesn’t have right to do what he did either.

Both are wrong.

by Anonymousreply 110June 22, 2019 1:13 AM

Who would not think Blanca isn't a woman? And who would be so vocal about it?

by Anonymousreply 111June 22, 2019 1:35 AM

huh?

by Anonymousreply 112June 22, 2019 1:37 AM

R91 - It may not have been the norm, but i will say that I met someone in 1988 who had recently become HIV+ and today, he is still going strong. So, it may not have been the story for most at the time, there were a few who have had a full, long life.

by Anonymousreply 113June 22, 2019 3:40 AM

R108 Definitely NO. Especially in 1990 NYC. haha. A prostitute from the piers too. Haha. NO.

by Anonymousreply 114June 22, 2019 4:29 AM

r114 he never said anything.

I am loving tonights episode. Its so much fun and Elektra centered. I love that crazy bitch.

by Anonymousreply 115June 26, 2019 2:20 AM

You all are gonna bitch about this episode but its actually a VERY fun one lmao

by Anonymousreply 116June 26, 2019 2:31 AM

Surprisingly, Elektra is getting some character development. Bitch with a heart.

by Anonymousreply 117June 26, 2019 2:40 AM

Dorian Corey storyline. Just like I said. Horrible show. I'll finish this season but no more. R115 Yea it's a bullshit show.

by Anonymousreply 118June 26, 2019 2:43 AM

Ryan Murphy uses real events for his shows all the time... have you never watched American Horror Story? He always uses Real people and murders etc. for plots and stories in his shows... this isn't new.

by Anonymousreply 119June 26, 2019 2:50 AM

I am pretty sure many shows take real events and use them for stories on their shows.

Watch Law and Order.

by Anonymousreply 120June 26, 2019 2:50 AM

R119 No, I don't watch Ryan Murphy crap because he's a cornball. R120 I'm pretty sure Law and Order states that their storylines are ripped from the headlines. This shit is predictable and lame and soooo unrealistic. But I know we are living in the fake fantasy era. So...

by Anonymousreply 121June 26, 2019 2:56 AM

r121 did you just watch the ending where they show a Dorian Corey quote? The episode just acknowledged him.

Now you can stop throwing a tantrum.

by Anonymousreply 122June 26, 2019 2:58 AM

I wonder how long until someone exposes Angel.

by Anonymousreply 123June 26, 2019 2:59 AM

R123 It's never gonna happen because this show lives in fantasy land. R122 Yea I saw. Hardly a tantrum. Don't be mad at the truth.

by Anonymousreply 124June 26, 2019 3:01 AM

r123 I think that's what they are setting up.

by Anonymousreply 125June 26, 2019 3:02 AM

Fun episode. Love Elektra.

by Anonymousreply 126June 26, 2019 3:12 AM

I thought Dominique was actually pretty good tonight.

by Anonymousreply 127June 26, 2019 3:17 AM

The time period of pose was one of the relaxer and the Jerri curl - i think this detail is being ignored - I keep seeing natural hair everywhere - notice the hair of the participants at the balls and in other scenes - they aren't portraying the desperation to have straight hair at that time - I remember what it was like - people didn't go out without doing something to straighten their hair, especially if they were fashionistas - of course ethnicity and nationality would give someone like angel the head of hair she has naturally .....

by Anonymousreply 128June 26, 2019 3:19 AM

Because next week is a holiday week, we gotta go two weeks until the next episode. Damn it!

by Anonymousreply 129June 26, 2019 3:23 AM

Damon is so inconsistent. In some scenes, the actor plays him like he’s Blanche Deveraux. In the next, he’s Tupac. This actor is the motherfucking WORST.

by Anonymousreply 130June 26, 2019 3:23 AM

Dominique did well tonight. Loved the episode

by Anonymousreply 131June 26, 2019 3:27 AM

I can't stand Damon r130. He's annoying, and definitely the weak link. You can tell they don't know what to do with his character because tonight they just seemed to stick him in the episode "Oh, Angel, you can get any man."

by Anonymousreply 132June 26, 2019 3:28 AM

You love Elektra? Elektra sucks. He's a shit actor. Worse than Damon. The show sucks. Fun episode? It's fucking rubbish. You all are fucking brain dead.

by Anonymousreply 133June 26, 2019 3:37 AM

Don't watch it your nasty cunt.

by Anonymousreply 134June 26, 2019 3:43 AM

Fuck off you nasty cunt r133

by Anonymousreply 135June 26, 2019 10:06 AM

I enjoy the show but let's face it, it is hardly realistic. Blanca is the house mother of two prodigies: one is a homeless man from PA she found in the park who has a 2 year scholarship to a prestigious dance program and the other is a tranny also from the streets who is now running a major make up campaign. Big companies always do a background search on any model they will use for a national campaign because of the huge expense to pull displays out of stores and change labels if there is a scandal. No company would use someone like Blanca for a national campaign without any prior experience. Lil Papi goes from selling drugs to working a double shift at the bodega. How many drug dealers leave the money they make to work minimum wage at a bodega? Not happening.

If all of the above were from real life events, Blanca would be a true saint

by Anonymousreply 136June 26, 2019 10:24 AM

I meant Angel with a national make up campaign

by Anonymousreply 137June 26, 2019 10:25 AM

R136 he left drug dealing because it was either he be homeless and drug deal or get a regular job and have a home and family... did you watch season one?!

by Anonymousreply 138June 26, 2019 11:03 AM

R138. Yes I did watch. Very very very improbable that a drug dealer would listen to anyone and give up cash in hand to work in a bodega and follow rules and work a double shift no less. Pure fantasy, but fun nonetheless.

by Anonymousreply 139June 26, 2019 11:35 AM

R139 it’s not when there are many that were once drug dealers that stopped.

Get cultured.

by Anonymousreply 140June 26, 2019 11:37 AM

Peppermint looked HUGE

by Anonymousreply 141June 26, 2019 12:04 PM

So Frank De Julio is a snack...

Love his schnoz in particular.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142June 26, 2019 12:38 PM

R142 is Frank the twink who was briefly in the House of Evangelista but bailed and is now part of the House of Abundance? If so, he looks great and should be naked more often

by Anonymousreply 143June 26, 2019 1:57 PM

r143 No, he's the guy who overdosed in the latest episode!

by Anonymousreply 144June 26, 2019 2:03 PM

You were probably thinking of Jason A Rodriguez, who also looks good and a bit like a clean-shaven Frank De Julio.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145June 26, 2019 2:07 PM

I don’t like either of the two guys that keep house hopping. I find them both creepy.

by Anonymousreply 146June 26, 2019 2:20 PM

They come across as creepy because they don't get any lines.

by Anonymousreply 147June 26, 2019 2:23 PM

Part of what was so great about this episode was how little Pray Tell there was.

He would have been over the top this episode.

Loved it being Blanca and Elektra with Candy of all people, who was fun.

by Anonymousreply 148June 26, 2019 2:24 PM

R147 no I feel the way they carry themselves is creepy.

They don’t get lines cause they aren’t actors. You see how forced the few lines they do get comes off?

by Anonymousreply 149June 26, 2019 2:25 PM

I don't find anything creepy about how they carry themselves. They're just exuberant young gays who think they'll never get old and that the whole world is at their feet, that's all. I thought those couple of lines they got were delivered competently enough, especially in the second season. Better than most actual actors on Shadowhunters, certainly.

by Anonymousreply 150June 26, 2019 2:43 PM

R139 You are wasting your breath. These idiots will not listen. They will keep feeding into the fantasy and the bullshit. Like I said, they are brain dead. They don't want reality, they want the fantasy. Angel getting a modeling campaign. lmao. Get the fuck outta here. This show must give you losers hope or something. haha. Enjoy it now. And the two house hopping twinks are definitely creepy and weird. I saw a candid video of the one playing Cubby on Instagram and he literally gave me the creeps. The way they film him on that show is not how he really looks. He's one of those ugly people that translate well to film. The other with the big nose is a waste of space.

by Anonymousreply 151June 26, 2019 3:41 PM

R140 Get a fucking clue and stop making excuses for bad writing. WAKE UP.

by Anonymousreply 152June 26, 2019 3:44 PM

R151 ITS A TV SHOW. NOT A DOCUMENTARY. CALM THE FUCK DOWN CUNT.

WE WATCH IT TO BE ENTERTAINED, NOT TO LEARN. FUCKING TRASH ASS BITCH.

by Anonymousreply 153June 26, 2019 7:02 PM

^^^Another brain dead idiot. Your life must be extremely boring if you find this shit entertaining. And who doesn't wanna learn? Dummies, that's who.

by Anonymousreply 154June 26, 2019 10:16 PM

It's trying to be both; entertainment, and an after-school special on "the AIDS."

It ends up being neither.

by Anonymousreply 155June 26, 2019 11:03 PM

I like the way people say "couture" in this series.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156June 27, 2019 12:50 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157June 27, 2019 12:51 AM

Very fun series.

by Anonymousreply 158June 27, 2019 1:26 AM

I would watch a series with just Elektra, Candy and that tranny “fixer” alone. They had a great and hilarious dynamic together.

by Anonymousreply 159June 27, 2019 1:20 PM

I agree, r159. I LOVE Candy. To be honest, she gives the best comebacks of all of them.

by Anonymousreply 160June 28, 2019 2:11 AM

Papito has great nipples

by Anonymousreply 161July 1, 2019 10:41 PM

Loved when they stared playing that “Shame” song while they were tying up the body.

I plotzed again when Anita Baker came on at the end of the 2nd episode. Amazing.

The music is fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 162July 1, 2019 11:07 PM

This season is definitely better than season 1. I like that they've pretty much written Damon out of the show. That actor is a total dud.

We need more Patti LaBelle. She was amazing in her episode. I think she could get an Emmy nomination.

by Anonymousreply 163July 2, 2019 12:24 AM

We need more Patti LuPone everywhere on TV. I'm still hoping against hope John Logan casts her again in the new Penny Dreadful - she was just transcendent in the first one.

Though I don't think she's getting an Emmy nom for Pose; it's a pretty broad role.

by Anonymousreply 164July 2, 2019 12:41 AM

Does this show actually get ratings or is it FX trying to be woke?

by Anonymousreply 165July 2, 2019 12:48 AM

The show is extremely popular on social media. It's always trending when it airs.

I agree about Damon r163. The actor and character are both dull. And i find both so sanctimonious. Like when Damon was telling Angel she could do better than Lil Papi. It was like, bitch, you're no prize yourself.

by Anonymousreply 166July 2, 2019 1:58 AM

No amount of tweets can repair juvenile scripts and hammy acting.

by Anonymousreply 167July 2, 2019 6:29 AM

Papi (the actor) announced he's straight on IG, if anyone here cared about his sexuality.

by Anonymousreply 168July 2, 2019 10:24 AM

The last episode with Elektra hiding the dude's body in a box in her closet was beyond ridiculous. It reminded me of the movie "The Hunger," where Catherine Deneuve stored all the bodies of her former lovers in caskets in the basement.

Ryan Murphy also conjured up "The Hunger" in the "American Horror Story: Hotel" season's opening sequence. It was almost a shot by shot recreation of the opening scene of "The Hunger."

by Anonymousreply 169July 2, 2019 10:54 AM

Blanca is so cross-eyed sometimes even I can see it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170July 2, 2019 11:06 AM

R169 But the thing is the mummified body in the drag queen’s closet is based on a real incident- truth is stranger than fiction. Though I got slammed for saying it on a thread, being told it’s all based on real life and I needed to watch Paris is Burning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171July 2, 2019 2:14 PM

Real life or not, it's a funny example of the scripts' "mopping" real life, in an (unintentionally?) comic way.

Reduce trans history to fables and ripoffs? Thanks, Brad and Ryan et al!

by Anonymousreply 172July 2, 2019 5:48 PM

Which cast member is Ryan Murphy dipping with?

by Anonymousreply 173July 3, 2019 1:42 AM

It’s back tonight, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 174July 10, 2019 1:40 AM

Why is Pray Tell always so nasty to Candy?

by Anonymousreply 175July 10, 2019 2:06 AM

This is sad. RIP Candy.

by Anonymousreply 176July 10, 2019 2:28 AM

Fuck you R176 and your spoilers

by Anonymousreply 177July 10, 2019 2:45 AM

Omg I’m sorry r177 I was just sad.

by Anonymousreply 178July 10, 2019 2:49 AM

Next week is a Ricky centered episode.

Damon wasn’t in this episode at all and everyone else was, and he doesn’t seem to be in next weeks either. I wonder if they dropped him and aren’t acknowledging it.

by Anonymousreply 179July 10, 2019 3:21 AM

Yeah, it's obvious they are not making Damon a big part of this season unless he has his own episode coming up. He just isn't interesting, in my opinion. I actually forget he's on the show since Blanca, Elektra, Angel, Candy, Lil Papi and Ricky are much more interesting.

by Anonymousreply 180July 10, 2019 5:18 AM

Lil Papi's storyline isn't interesting. In fact, the audience knows very little about Lil Papi. Both Damon and Lil Papi could leave and I wouldn't really notice.

by Anonymousreply 181July 10, 2019 5:22 AM

Dyllon sure does know how to fill out a speedo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182July 10, 2019 5:33 AM

R182 SEXY

by Anonymousreply 183July 10, 2019 6:17 AM

Ironic that it turns out Candy actually sucks at lip syncing. What was that??? Why didn’t she open her mouth wider? That was a painful lip sync to a wonderful song. So annoyed they killed her off. I get why they did but she will be missed.

by Anonymousreply 184July 10, 2019 10:24 AM

I actually loved Candy. She was funny as hell and full of energy. I hated how Pray Tell would treat her.

She will certainly be missed.

I would rather them have killed off annoying LuLu.

by Anonymousreply 185July 10, 2019 11:46 AM

R182 pity the illustration doesn't show the filling at all.

by Anonymousreply 186July 10, 2019 11:49 AM

R169 they were in the attic, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 187July 10, 2019 11:51 AM

[quote]Damon wasn’t in this episode at all and everyone else was, and he doesn’t seem to be in next weeks either. I wonder if they dropped him and aren’t acknowledging it.

Damon was there last night. He had no lines but he was in the episode. And unless the previews are misleading us, it looks like he and Ricky are both the focus next week.

[quote]Lil Papi's storyline isn't interesting. In fact, the audience knows very little about Lil Papi. Both Damon and Lil Papi could leave and I wouldn't really notice.

I think people don't mind Lil Papi being uninteresting because he's hot as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 188July 10, 2019 11:55 AM

The character is dim, cute and earnest, like the actor? Hot as fuck? Hmmmm

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189July 10, 2019 1:05 PM

He’s cute but not hot as fuck.

Damon wasn’t there last night.

by Anonymousreply 190July 10, 2019 1:17 PM

so is Damon done with the whole dance school thing?

by Anonymousreply 191July 10, 2019 1:46 PM

I didn't care much for last night's "very special" episode. It seemed a bit heavy handed and while I liked the Candy character, I wasn't so invested in her that it warranted such a melodramatic and emotional conclusion to her nonexistent story arc. The emotion felt very manufactured and forced, as if we were supposed to care about this character that we hardly saw or knew. If it were one of the main characters that passed, it would have had a bigger impact and carried more weight. I'm assuming this was partially inspired by the death of Venus Xtravaganza from 'Paris is Burning' who died under similar tragic circumstances at the hands of a trick.

by Anonymousreply 192July 10, 2019 1:58 PM

Besides HIV-related events, what were white gays doing during this time period?

by Anonymousreply 193July 10, 2019 2:30 PM

R193 the underground trans ballroom was almost all people of color. Most White trans and gays did their own thing, not this.

by Anonymousreply 194July 10, 2019 2:32 PM

R193 Yes, what "things" were those?

by Anonymousreply 195July 10, 2019 2:33 PM

If the show was more realistic, Lil Papi would have been arrested and on bail at least 5 times since the show began. He is a tranny chaser with no education who sells drugs and possibly prostitutes himself. The show makes it seems like they have all the free time in the world to plan the next outfit for the ball. The fact that the shows ignores that most of the characters are low level criminals living off the public dime does a disservice to the story telling.

The show is nice and soapy but it is really a glossy view of things.

by Anonymousreply 196July 10, 2019 3:05 PM

R196 you keep on with Papi. This isn’t the first time you claim this. Just shhhhh.

I knew drug dealers that have Never been caught.

by Anonymousreply 197July 10, 2019 3:09 PM

r195 They had their own clubs. And bathhouses, obviously.

by Anonymousreply 198July 10, 2019 3:20 PM

Gays and Trans were never around each other much back then. Trans wasn’t part of the gay community.

by Anonymousreply 199July 10, 2019 4:45 PM

I was white, an ivy league grad pretty boy doing arty stuff and arts admin and I went to balls occasionally. I always went to explore "new worlds". Maybe that was post-colonial fetishistic and privileged of me but I had a good time most places and scenes and had some wonderful lovers that way. At least I didn't ignore the city and people in my city. Would go to clubs in the outer parts of the boroughs, met a lover at Brighton Beach and a Ball and a Rice Queen bar, etc etc. Also explored the other way - with the "haves". Fun times all around! Is that still possible? I bet it is, in New York and LA.

by Anonymousreply 200July 10, 2019 4:56 PM

r199 that's really not my experience. All you had to do was go to the bars and clubs around Time Square and the far West Side and it was tranny city. I guess you would never, though! Hell, a fair amount of trannies passed through Boy Bar and Pyramid in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 201July 10, 2019 4:58 PM

This show is a technicolor view of things but hey, it's the ONLY attempt so don't be such debbie downers. If you don't have an eye for what's real or what's 2019 entertainment fantasy - that's on YOU!

by Anonymousreply 202July 10, 2019 5:00 PM

By the 90's, there were more middle class trans happening particularly in the lesbian scenes.

by Anonymousreply 203July 10, 2019 5:01 PM

I believe Angel mentioned that between season 1 & 2 that Lil Papi went back to school to get his GED and now he's got a regular job

by Anonymousreply 204July 10, 2019 5:51 PM

Trans weren’t allowed in many gay bars in the 80s. Even in NYC and LA. Look it up.

by Anonymousreply 205July 10, 2019 5:53 PM

I thought Angelica Ross gave a terrific performance as Candy. It was overwritten as usual but she really brought it. And we finally understood why Pray Tell had an issue with her.

by Anonymousreply 206July 12, 2019 1:30 AM

Episode 4: treacly, maudlin and slow, but Angelica Ross did a fine job with what she was given.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207July 12, 2019 3:14 AM

Another script inaccuracy is that of AZT being the sole drug available in 1990. Pray Tell would have learned about DDI, aerosolized pentamidine and other better holistic treatments than butter(!!) at an ACT UP meeting, had his character ever actually returned to a Monday night meeting. The focus on AZT as a sole treatment with worrisome side effects is understandable, as a singular script metaphor, but it's not accurate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208July 12, 2019 3:21 AM

I really could have done without Candy's ghost. Angelica Ross is a great actress but the scenes just felt completely cheesy and out of place. Is Pose now a supernatural show? Or are we supposed to understand the characters all suffer from hallucinations?

Season 2 is very disappointing, all the episodes so far have been super preachy and/or overdramatic. You can tell they're actively trying to make the audience cry, hence losing all authencity. Besides, they're taking way too much liberties with the era. These are not the modern times, there's no way Angel, a brown trans woman and former full-time prostitute from the Pier, would have snatched that modelling contract. And even if she did, she would have had to be somebody's sex slave/mistress in exchange. They tried to introduce that angle with the asshole photographer but of course they ultimately decided to do away with realism. Same goes for Blanca's nail salon, whatever happened to that storyline? To keep it realistic, they should have make the racist landlady hire men to beat Blanca's ass or at the very least threaten her. I get that the'yre trying to show the world that the life of a Queer POC isn't all doom and gloom but now this is just fantasy land.

by Anonymousreply 209July 12, 2019 12:22 PM

That episode was dreadful. It made no sense. No one liked Candy, and she was a tertiary character. It made no sense that everyone would come together in collective grief over her, and it was even less believable that Pray would preside over her service. And who the hell paid for that nice casket and beautiful flowers?

Billy Porter sure wants that Emmy. Could he have chewed the scenery any harder in this episode? He's really starting to irritate me.

The only good thing about the episode was Angelica Ross. She's a talented actress. Too bad the show is losing her; it needs all the talent it can get.

by Anonymousreply 210July 12, 2019 1:49 PM

Billy Porter wants to steal every scene, cannot stand him

by Anonymousreply 211July 12, 2019 1:57 PM

Angelica Ross was the best actor on the show. I think I heard she's going to be on AHS this season? Anyway the writing on this show is so bad it makes me laugh. What was it that Candy's friend (can't remember her character's name) said when she found out Candy had died? "She had just made plans for the future." WTF???? That is the laziest fucking thing I have seen tumble out of a character's mouth in my entire life.

by Anonymousreply 212July 12, 2019 2:03 PM

R209 you must be dumb because brown girls were on the up in the late 80s and 90s in the modeling industry.

by Anonymousreply 213July 12, 2019 2:35 PM

R213 but tranny hookers weren’t

by Anonymousreply 214July 12, 2019 2:36 PM

^^^ Love you!

by Anonymousreply 215July 12, 2019 2:41 PM

But they don’t know she’s a tranny Hooker yet. Are you watching?

by Anonymousreply 216July 12, 2019 4:26 PM

^^^ This will all end in tears, or murder.

by Anonymousreply 217July 12, 2019 6:08 PM

...or a trans actor standing by a chalkboard demanding that we all repeat, "Sylvia and Marsha started all LGBTQI rights. Sylvia and Marsha started all LGBTQI rights. Sylvia and Marsha started all LGBTQI rights. "

by Anonymousreply 218July 12, 2019 7:27 PM

R216 Yes, we're watching and laughing because they SHOULD know by now, as Eileen Ford's friend was beaten up for harrassing transgender model Angel and there's no way in hell he wouldn't have told her about this.

by Anonymousreply 219July 12, 2019 8:55 PM

Each episode is like a one-off, with no connection to the others. no story arc, except some people get sick and die.

by Anonymousreply 220July 12, 2019 8:56 PM

R219 and when Angel was doing that shoot for the cosmetics company, she was changing wardrobe constantly — at some point one of the wardrobe assistants wouldn’t have noticed she had a dick tucked between her legs?

by Anonymousreply 221July 12, 2019 11:52 PM

Candy wasn’t a ghost. It was a means of showing how the people in her life reconciled things in their heads.

by Anonymousreply 223July 13, 2019 12:41 AM

I have resisted watching as it just sounds all trans all the time, any gay men or lesbian woman characters?

by Anonymousreply 224July 13, 2019 12:43 AM

Hallie Sahar, who plays Candy's friend Lulu, was also very good in this episode, especially in the scene where she was visited by Candy's "ghost. They should feature her more prominently; she's got potential.

by Anonymousreply 225July 13, 2019 12:52 AM

R220 Right! Everyone seems to have recovered pretty quickly from the trauma of stuffing Elektra's S&M customer's body into the box. It's almost like it never happened!

by Anonymousreply 226July 13, 2019 12:54 AM

Since when do funerals last all day?

by Anonymousreply 227July 13, 2019 12:55 AM

R227 my mother’s Uncles lasted a few hours here in Brooklyn when I was a teen.

by Anonymousreply 228July 13, 2019 1:02 AM

Why are so many people on here re-writing History?

Fact is that many gay bars in the 60s-80s didn’t allow trans in them. Some didn’t even allow anyone but white gays in.

by Anonymousreply 229July 13, 2019 1:05 AM

What do people here hate trans? Grow up

by Anonymousreply 230July 13, 2019 1:07 AM

They are not hating on trans people r230. They're just pointing out the lack of realism.

And agree about Billy Porter this season. He's very shrill - even more than usual. The fame has definitely went to his head.

by Anonymousreply 231July 13, 2019 1:22 AM

Not liking Billy Porter this season at all, meanwhile I found him to be AMAZING during season one. His scenes throughout the first season felt real and authentic. This season not so much.

R230 not anti-trans at all. But I hate the lies that trans were always with gays back then. LGBT wasn’t a thing then. Most gays looked down on trans and didn’t allow them within their spaces.

Of course not all, but many.

by Anonymousreply 232July 13, 2019 1:28 AM

Angelica Ross makes history with new "American Horror Story" role: First trans performer to land two regular series roles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233July 13, 2019 1:39 AM

One thing that's lacking for sure this season is the music. The music selections used in season 1 were really well curated and helped transport you back in time. The music this season doesn't seem to be as prominent or have the same impact when it comes to setting the tone of the scenes (with a few exceptions, like Angel's awesome photoshoot scene set to Neneh Cherry's 'Buffalo Stance').

by Anonymousreply 234July 13, 2019 1:40 AM

I find it interesting that they put out the press release that Angelica was joining AHS:1984 just after episode 4 aired. They know how talented she is and probably knew fans would be upset she would be off the show because she's one of the best actresses on the show. The thing is they wanted to make the link to black transgender women being killed today so they probably felt they had to kill off Candy to make that resonate; it wouldn't have had as much impact if it was a lesser known character. I think it's a credit to Ross that she made such an impact with little character development (even she admitted this in an interview) and screen time.

by Anonymousreply 235July 13, 2019 1:43 AM

R234 the episode where Elektras client dies used good music also.

by Anonymousreply 236July 13, 2019 1:49 AM

R235 So he won't be on two shows at once? Gods, all trans do is lie and rewrite history

by Anonymousreply 237July 13, 2019 2:26 AM

I'm going to miss Candy yelling, "Fuck you Pray Tell!"

Did anyone catch that ridiculous scene where Ricky comes home and finds Damon laying on his mattress with his hand inside his shorts? That stupid scene and Damon's facial expression...the most hilarious thing ever.

by Anonymousreply 238July 13, 2019 4:18 AM

[quote](with a few exceptions, like Angel's awesome photoshoot scene set to Neneh Cherry's 'Buffalo Stance')

I had forgotten all about that song. It sounded freaking awesome in that scene with Angel. I went right to iTunes after the episode aired and bought it.

by Anonymousreply 239July 13, 2019 4:24 AM

[quote]I'm going to miss Candy yelling, "Fuck you Pray Tell!"

For me it's the opposite: I'm really going to miss Pray Tell dragging out "Miss Caaaaannnnnndy."

by Anonymousreply 240July 13, 2019 4:26 AM

Pray Tell: "Someone come get this bitch."

by Anonymousreply 241July 13, 2019 4:30 AM

Pray Tell loves having Candy kicked out of the ballroom lmao

by Anonymousreply 242July 13, 2019 4:35 AM

When they excerpted Snap's "I've Got the Power" I remembered being 23 and dancing at Mars, drunk on free beers from Chip Duckett, with all my twink buddies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243July 13, 2019 6:52 AM

There use of “Black Cat” by Janet was great while Electra’s client got high and then died.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244July 13, 2019 1:22 PM

Their*

by Anonymousreply 245July 13, 2019 1:22 PM

That same episode had “Nasty Girl” by Vanity playing when Elektra and Blanca show up to speak to Candy. Another great choice.

by Anonymousreply 246July 13, 2019 1:31 PM

They should completely rely on music to tell the story in lieu of that awful dialogue. We wouldn't miss much since every other line is about how difficult life for is and how nobody cares about queer people of color, which of course we can easily glean from the show's premise.

by Anonymousreply 247July 13, 2019 4:55 PM

The dialogue has become too preachy this season. Angel was making a statement and it sounded like one of Indya's Twitter rants.

by Anonymousreply 248July 13, 2019 7:57 PM

I actually think MJ Rodríguez can act but there’s only so much you can do with those preachy dialogue.

I wonder how the actor who plays Damon feels to have been such a central focus when he joined the show and now is reduced to an Under 5.

by Anonymousreply 249July 13, 2019 10:16 PM

[quote]I wonder how the actor who plays Damon feels to have been such a central focus when he joined the show and now is reduced to an Under 5.

He should feel damn lucky his awkward acting ass has a job.

by Anonymousreply 250July 14, 2019 4:15 AM

I'm sure at home Ryan cries, but he still has a job, is getting paid, has lots of social media followers and he was a Stonewall ambassador so he's doing fine.

by Anonymousreply 251July 14, 2019 5:30 AM

I hope they're getting a good dental plan, what with all that scenery-chewing.

by Anonymousreply 252July 14, 2019 7:06 AM

I love this season so far. No complaints.

by Anonymousreply 253July 14, 2019 7:47 AM

R253 I find it fun.

by Anonymousreply 254July 14, 2019 11:15 AM

The first season was a lot of fun. This season is very serious, with big speeches and lecturing every episode. And every sentence starts with "Bitch.."

Billy Porter is insufferable this season, what happened? I loved him last year.

by Anonymousreply 255July 14, 2019 12:15 PM

Pose is becoming American Horror Story: Trans Misery. Someone dies every episode now.

by Anonymousreply 256July 14, 2019 12:18 PM

To the earlier poster who didn’t understand ghost Candy, she wasn’t really a ghost. It was a way of representing how friends and family were reconciling things in their heads.

by Anonymousreply 257July 14, 2019 3:08 PM

"Since when do funerals last all day?"

Ask Aretha, hers went on for days

by Anonymousreply 258July 14, 2019 9:42 PM

And who was Pray Tell to gesture her parents to sit down so he could take glory and tell everyone he was going to allow lip syncing after all?

They are her parents. Let them have their time with her casket. He's so annoying this season.

by Anonymousreply 259July 15, 2019 1:01 AM

R259- I agree. It’s too much of a what was a good thing. Pray Tell has become totally sanctimonious and insufferable. Even his emceeing is driving me insane this season. Billy Porter was meant to be a supporting actor, not lead. Too much. Just... too much.

by Anonymousreply 260July 15, 2019 1:59 AM

I don't know if Billy Porter was supposed to be a supporting actor, since he was seen a lot in the first season. I do agree that he is a bit too much, but for the most part, the show is still must-see TV for me.

by Anonymousreply 261July 15, 2019 5:01 AM

Porter was 100% Supporting season one

by Anonymousreply 262July 15, 2019 12:23 PM

LOL @ Damon thinking he has it in the bag already.

I'm guessing he's going to be served some Blanca humble pie.

by Anonymousreply 263July 17, 2019 2:18 AM

Billy gets an Emmy nom. Now he'll be even more insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 264July 17, 2019 2:26 AM

His dress at the awards show will have its own zip code.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265July 17, 2019 3:39 AM

Tonight was so much auditioning... not much plot. Just dance dance dance - angst over a relationship - dance.

The Tonya Harding attempt was some campy fun but nothing really happened. Next week looks dramatic. (won't spoil for people who don't watch the previews - been yelled at on reddit for that).

by Anonymousreply 266July 17, 2019 5:50 AM

Lord, what a tedious episode. Nice to see Charlayne Woodard again, but other than that, big yawn.

by Anonymousreply 267July 17, 2019 6:13 AM

I get tired of Damon being praised as this great dancer. I think Ricky is a much better dancer. He has sex appeal and has more charisma.

I did like the top 10 though.

by Anonymousreply 268July 17, 2019 6:37 AM

Are you crazy? Did you not watch Damon's mind-blowing audition earlier in the season? He is sooo super talented! Best dancer in the world!

by Anonymousreply 269July 17, 2019 7:01 AM

[quote]Billy Porter is insufferable this season, what happened? I loved him last year.

As much as it pains me to say it, I agree. The writers have taken what people loved about Pray Tell in season one (his catty ball commentary, his angst over being HIV+, etc.) and amped it all up to an obnoxiously ridiculous degree -- as someone upthread said, it's become waaaaaay too much of what was once a good thing. Pray Tell now borders on caricature, not character.

It's like Porter's performance is now ALL IN CAPS ALL THE TIME. It's lost the nuance, depth and subtlety (relatively speaking) it had last year. We're halfway through the season, so hopefully it'll turn around soon.

by Anonymousreply 270July 17, 2019 12:23 PM

I feel like too many storylines this season are not being resolved in a timely fashion. Watch them cram everything into the final two episodes. I guess this is what happens when you start filming the season before all episodes have been written. That seems to be the norm for Ryan Murphy shows.

It's been weeks since Blanca opened her nail salon and we haven't heard anything about it. Patti LuPone was the best thing about this season. So where is she?

What happened to Angel's modeling career?

In case you forgot, there's a dead body decomposing in Elektra's closet.

It just feels like this season is all over the place. It doesn't have the focus and charm of the first season.

by Anonymousreply 271July 17, 2019 11:09 PM

Patti LuPone is coming back next episode. Her quote in the preview was something like "I don't mind the gays - it's AIDS that's the problem" or something like that. But yea, we haven't even seen a 2 minute scene of her in there... in lieu of an entire episode of pointless auditions for Madonna.

They're doing a Dorian Corey tribute with the dead body. It won't be found until after Elektra is gone.

by Anonymousreply 272July 17, 2019 11:27 PM

I still like the season very much but it's definitely not as tight or cohesive as season one. I think the problem is that they are too focused on "messages" rather than letting the story flow naturally. There are too many speeches which take me out of the story and sound like Twitter rants or they sound too contemporary.

by Anonymousreply 273July 17, 2019 11:40 PM

I loved Season 1 and feel meh about Season 2. I hope the show hasn't jumped the shark already

by Anonymousreply 274July 18, 2019 2:11 AM

The 'Solid Gold' dances were hilarious; I loved that show, but I doubt there was ever a male/male duet.

Waiting for the shoe to drop when they all realize Madonna just mopped their style, then dropped their file!

Up next, Pray Tell gets his extended Camile hospital scenes!

by Anonymousreply 275July 18, 2019 2:42 AM

Are we to believe Elektra can afford that huge apartment and accoutrements from working as a dominatrix and restaurant hostess?

by Anonymousreply 276July 18, 2019 2:45 AM

R276 yes. People in sex work in NYC made a lot of money if smart. We see Elektra is somewhat smart, and her clients are wealthy white men.

by Anonymousreply 277July 18, 2019 2:46 AM

In season one, I rooted for the characters because their storylines were gritty and believable. I felt like I was a part of their world.

In season two, are we really supposed to believe that Angel went from dancing in video booths to landing a major cosmetics campaign on her first call? Or that Damon and his bf almost got picked to tour with Madonna on her Blonde Ambition tour and are now dancing on Solid Gold? Or that Elektra went from barely being able to pay her rent to living in a multi-million $$$ apartment? And all of this in the span of one year.

by Anonymousreply 278July 18, 2019 4:26 AM

It was the '90s! Simply EVERYone was on the guest list! Wheeee!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279July 18, 2019 5:08 AM

"Waiting for the shoe to drop when they all realize Madonna just mopped their style, then dropped their file!"

I wish! So sick of hearing about their savior "Queen" I just find it tough to believe they'll get real after lauding her every other page of dialogue.

by Anonymousreply 280July 18, 2019 10:34 AM

It’s great that they cast so many LGBTQ performers but these folks are terrible actors, lol

by Anonymousreply 281July 24, 2019 2:12 AM

Damn, I miss her!!

by Anonymousreply 282July 24, 2019 2:15 AM

I know this episode will be Billy's next Emmy reel but I really think MJ Rodriguez is great in this episode.

by Anonymousreply 283July 24, 2019 2:44 AM

It was a lot better than last week. I was hoping Billy was gonna go back to when he used to say "Miss Caaaannnndyyyy!" I still think they're going kinda light on the plot between last week and this week being a lot of a dream sequence, but this was at least a much better episode.

by Anonymousreply 284July 24, 2019 4:04 AM

MJ's singing voice is still very deep.

by Anonymousreply 285July 24, 2019 4:09 AM

Is that her singing or is someone else singing with her just lip syncing over it? It doesn't even really sound like her.

by Anonymousreply 286July 24, 2019 4:31 AM

Patti did a nice job. Her character is still over the top, but enjoyable all the same, I would like to see her grab an Emmy before she retires, but I am afraid this performance won’t do it.

by Anonymousreply 287July 24, 2019 7:02 AM

R286 that’s “her”. She was born a man and her singing voice still sounds as such.

by Anonymousreply 288July 24, 2019 11:45 AM

I think it's always a mistake to have anyone try to do "The Man That Got Away." Better performers than Billy Porter have foundered on it--Streisand, Sinatra.

by Anonymousreply 289July 24, 2019 2:33 PM

A little something for the MJ Rodriguez fans: a short interview done nine years ago, before she transitioned. It's a bit like seeing Blanca's little brother. :-)

Hopefully, it also clears up any mystery as to why her singing voice might sound a bit deep.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 290July 24, 2019 7:13 PM

The voice sounds so much better as a male. As a female, she has a weird throaty thing going on & sometimes it sounds even like a lisp? I don't get it. Is there vocal surgery people can have or something that could do this? It's much smoother and even as a male. I guess the singing is his singing altogether. Strange. I have no idea how it works but I think I remember hearing the voice doesn't really change with the hormones. You have to go to classes for that & it's never that easy to do.

by Anonymousreply 291July 24, 2019 10:28 PM

MJ is really good looking - whether a man or a woman.

by Anonymousreply 292July 24, 2019 11:22 PM

Sandra Bernhard sang Sometimes It Snows In April by Prince

by Anonymousreply 293July 24, 2019 11:57 PM

Food Glorious Food from OLIVER! was the melody to the song performed by Pray Tell and Blanca

by Anonymousreply 294July 24, 2019 11:58 PM

I loved Sandra Bernhards lovely green sequined dress.

by Anonymousreply 295July 25, 2019 12:07 AM

Elektra perfromed too, it was great :)

by Anonymousreply 296July 25, 2019 12:08 AM

Yes, r296. She did Sooner or Later by Madonna. Is Madge going to guest star??

by Anonymousreply 297July 25, 2019 12:15 AM

R289 Barbra? Frank? Judy Garland!!

by Anonymousreply 298July 25, 2019 12:58 AM

All the singing save Patti’s was HIDEOUS. At least they had fun with Miss Elektra.

by Anonymousreply 299July 25, 2019 12:09 PM

I like the wink-wink of the gang having no one available to sing at their crappy little event so they'll just have to settle for a song by Patti LuPone.

by Anonymousreply 300July 25, 2019 2:18 PM

Billy Porter’s rendition of The Man that Got Away was awful. He’s officially jumped the shark. You can see his Emmy thirst in every scene and it’s on flamboyant display in that train wreck of a “number.”

by Anonymousreply 301July 29, 2019 12:43 AM

Agreed r301. He's become very shrill and every scene is at a 10+, no nuance.

The last episode was like his second Emmy reel but I thought MJ was far better.

by Anonymousreply 302July 29, 2019 12:54 AM

What happened to Sandra B’s acting? It’s horrendous. She was legitimately great in The King of Comedy and so funny on Roseanne. Now her acting is so stilted and her line deliveries are super awkward.

by Anonymousreply 303July 29, 2019 1:01 AM

Billy Porter is the Susan Hayward of our time.

by Anonymousreply 304July 29, 2019 1:01 AM

God, that last episode was insufferable! Why does Ryan Murphy always have to have some fucking "Glee" episode in all his series?

And I agree - Billy Porter is the Susan Hayward of our time. Or the Faye Dunaway as Joan Crawford of our time.

by Anonymousreply 305July 30, 2019 4:00 AM

The first season was perfect.

Say what you will about Kate Mara, James Van Der Beek and Evan Peters, but they were supporting players who were integral to the stories, whereas I feel with Sandra Bernhard and Patti it's like "Look it's Patti! Looks it's Sandra! They're singing!! They're guest starring!"

I miss the subtlety and intimacy of season one. It really was a perfect season.

by Anonymousreply 306July 30, 2019 4:27 AM

I agree, r306. This season is the epitome of sophomore slump. It feels like they never expected to get a second season and when they did, they didn't really have a fully fleshed out blueprint of where to take these characters and none of the episodes feel like they're leading to a future payoff. Also, time leaping to 1990 from 1988 (where the previous season left off) just so they could incorporate the release of Vogue and build a thin storyline around it was not worth the effort.

by Anonymousreply 307July 30, 2019 5:04 AM

r307 I agree. I think they could have spent at least one more year in the '80s.

by Anonymousreply 308July 30, 2019 5:36 AM

Glam!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 309July 30, 2019 7:01 AM

I feel like POSE is like Dynasty for gay/trans POC.

I'm here for it.

by Anonymousreply 310July 30, 2019 3:31 PM

^^^ More like Melrose Place set in Harlem.

by Anonymousreply 311July 30, 2019 4:01 PM

This episode is boring so far....

by Anonymousreply 312July 31, 2019 2:15 AM

My God this episode is TERRIBLE.

Thank God, though, for Elektra. Her one liners are hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 313July 31, 2019 2:28 AM

And Angel's ass is very nice.

by Anonymousreply 314July 31, 2019 2:30 AM

I haven’t seen Paris is Burning. Do/Did voguers really win those tacky trophies?

by Anonymousreply 315July 31, 2019 2:40 AM

Papi need to speak less and strip more.

by Anonymousreply 316July 31, 2019 2:42 AM

Janet Mock is certainly showing off her Papi this episode.

by Anonymousreply 317July 31, 2019 2:46 AM

So, Angel is now a drug addict? Lord.

by Anonymousreply 318July 31, 2019 2:57 AM

R317 She's been showing off her Papi every episode this season. Making it obvious they were fucking even before they officially announced they were dating. Papi literally stole Damon's lines/screentime without further explanation.

by Anonymousreply 319July 31, 2019 9:34 AM

[quote]Papi literally stole Damon's lines/screentime without further explanation.

They're both terrible actors so I guess it's a wash. This was the worst episode yet, by quite a wide margin. The writing has just fallen apart this season.

by Anonymousreply 320July 31, 2019 12:35 PM

The scene between Ricky and Pray Tell was good; the rest... a mess.

by Anonymousreply 321July 31, 2019 4:37 PM

Yeah but we all saw that coming right? re: Ricky.

by Anonymousreply 322July 31, 2019 4:48 PM

Didn’t Damon and Ricky fuck after the tour and without condoms?

by Anonymousreply 323July 31, 2019 6:41 PM

Yes, R323.

I know it’s manufactured drama but could we not with the drugs and the model bullshit??

That scene in the hospital was so sad.

Glad Blanca got her nail salon back.

by Anonymousreply 324July 31, 2019 7:37 PM

So, they're mopping from ACT UP yet again by inserting Black and trans people into a tiny protest done by six white guys and a white woman with a huge condom wrapped over Jesse Helms' house.

WTF, bitches? Script writers are so empty-headed, they're just stealing from actual history. Tiresome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 325July 31, 2019 8:24 PM

Wasn't the nurse who told him he was HIV+ an unusually big cunt? Who says "what did you expect - you sleep with everyone without a condom!" Nobody ever said anything even close to that when I had HIV tests through the 90s. The results were negative but still... then they went on to say "here are some condoms, make sure you have lube, etc..." If it's positive, I've heard the visit can last over an hour & they have actually trained counselors talk to the person (even with minimal counseling training, probably less than a LCSW) What were they trying to portray with that exactly? There are certainly cunt nurses out there but usually not in the HIV testing area in that era. I don't know... Maybe some people have had other experiences... but thankfully, not where I have gone.

by Anonymousreply 326July 31, 2019 9:06 PM

Nobody properly trained would have said that. They all had very clear scripts to recite to testees.

by Anonymousreply 327July 31, 2019 9:10 PM

I like that they paid homage to some of the most famous ACT UP demos like The St. Patrick's Cathedral demo and the giant condom over Jesse Helms' house. As long as they can meld it onto the shows characters' motivations, and the original intent of the action is kept intact.

This kind of history is important. These demos were so over the top, you couldn't easily write better ideas than something that actually happened.

Also, when these episodes air, fans of the show and other people's social media threads suddenly have several new articles about the actual events they're based on being passed around, with quotes from people who were there.

Why not?

by Anonymousreply 328July 31, 2019 9:27 PM

Case in point...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 329July 31, 2019 9:29 PM

"If it's positive, I've heard the visit can last over an hour & they have actually trained counselors talk to the person (even with minimal counseling training, probably less than a LCSW) "

Yes, that's what I want to watch on TV on a Tuesday night.

by Anonymousreply 330July 31, 2019 9:52 PM

More revisionist twaddle. It's not an 'homage,' it's historical theft by trannies, and not even trannies, but white gay male script writers thieving for trannies.

... unless Mock wrote this equally inane episode script.

by Anonymousreply 331July 31, 2019 9:56 PM

[quote]Yes, that's what I want to watch on TV on a Tuesday night.

Obviously they didn't have to show that. They just needed to omit the part where she was like "what did you expect, slut?" She should've told him the news like the other nurses told PrayTell and Bianca. If he needed counseling - it could've been simply shown by cutting to PrayTell sitting in the hall waiting, looking at his watch, and having a worried / knowing expression about what was going on. No Dr. Melfi session was required.

by Anonymousreply 332July 31, 2019 10:08 PM

So if Papi loves Angel so much, he thinks it's good for her to take coke? And let's her go to a modeling gig looking like that??

by Anonymousreply 333July 31, 2019 11:53 PM

Indya Moore is playing a cis woman in a supporting role in the upcoming film “Queen & Slim”. It looks decent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 334August 1, 2019 12:49 AM

In the next episode, Pray Tell gives Tony Fauci a lap dance and halts the National Institutes of Health with a death drop!

by Anonymousreply 335August 1, 2019 5:16 AM

R334 By "supporting role," do you mean wearing a bikini and sitting on a dude's lap?

by Anonymousreply 336August 1, 2019 11:27 AM

ACT UP Had a Diversity Problem. Should ‘Pose’ Correct it?

--

It challenged me, then, when the most recent episode, “Blow” (7/30/2019), left me feeling unsure about the show’s creative choices and how it playfully reimagines an iconic, real-life moment in AIDS activism – and not for the first time. Processing the episode led to some very real revelations about the history of AIDS activism and its complicated relationship with race and gender.

The set-up: Blanca and Pray assign their young family the AIDS activism task of covering the home of Frederica, Blanca’s bigoted landlord, with an enormous condom. “Killing two birds with one stone,” says Blanca, because she wants to embarrass Frederica as much as send a message about the need for condom use during the most murderous years of AIDS.

The giant condom plan is based on a real 1991 event, when ACT UP member Peter Staley orchestrated the installation of an enormous condom-type cover on the home of notorious homophobe, bigot, and HIV prevention enemy, U.S. Senator Jesse Helms.

This intersection of fact and fiction harkens back to the Pose season opener, when the racially diverse cast is inserted into the famous ACT UP “Stop the Church!” protest. News footage of the real-life action would suggest the activists on the scene were primarily white.

Meanwhile, Peter Staley and his gang of co-conspirators (the “Tag Helms Seven”) who covered the home of Senator Helms consisted on six white gay men and a white woman. The activists in the Pose recreation consisted of black and brown men and trans women. Which of these things is not like the other?

Let me tread lightly here. It was delightful to see Pose reimagine the actions of ACT UP with their cast of black and brown faces and diverse gender expression. But it has been suggested the episode discredits history, or the contributions of white gay men. Is Pose guilty of “activism appropriation?”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 337August 1, 2019 11:41 PM

Pose is "correcting" a whole lot about that era. The show is a fairy-tale version of the actual NYC transgender/ball culture scene of the '80s. I enjoy it, but it's about as far from reality as you can get.

by Anonymousreply 338August 2, 2019 12:53 PM

The ball culture wasn’t white.

by Anonymousreply 339August 2, 2019 12:57 PM

I'm watching Pose for it's dramatic entertainment, not reality. It's not a documentary.

by Anonymousreply 340August 2, 2019 1:17 PM

R340 Exactly!

by Anonymousreply 341August 5, 2019 5:56 AM

it's dramatic?

It is dramatic?

You certainly didn't go to school for the English lessons, R340.

by Anonymousreply 342August 5, 2019 8:35 PM

A Public Facebook post from ACT UP alumnus Robert Vazquez Pacheco:

As a former member of ACTUP's Majority Action Committee and one of its few surviving members, I am offended by these reimaginings of what happened in ACTUP. There is a big difference between what happened and what some people wish had happened. There were very few people of color at those Monday night meetings. That is a fact. I know because I was one of them. What worries me is that these fictions begin to be seen as the truth.

Why not focus on what people of color actually did back then instead of making shit up? There are still people of color who lived through those times and can offer some insight and possibly even some truth. There were people of color fighting for their communities at that time. Fighting against a system that had and has always treated them badly. Because those fights, in Medicaid offices or churches or hospitals are not as glamorous as what POSE is depicting doesn't invalidate them. Making shit up does not correct or change what actually happened.

And finally why is Peter Staley commenting about what people of color were doing or not doing?

And how the fuck is POSE going to correct ACT UP's diversity problem? By making shit up?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 343August 5, 2019 9:23 PM

{r342} is a rabid cunt

by Anonymousreply 344August 5, 2019 9:27 PM

And R344, you're an illiterate douche cunt who doesn't even know how to use parentheses.

by Anonymousreply 345August 5, 2019 9:29 PM

[quote]I miss the subtlety and intimacy of season one. It really was a perfect season.

Ditto, R306 and others upthread. I find it all very sad, and I no longer anxiously await the next episode week to week. It's like the showrunners have no clue what to do with any of the characters, so they keep coming up with directionless storylines , preachy/educational speeches and stunt casting (Bernhard, LuPone) to fill season two.

The most recent episode was all over the map -- Angel tries coke at a party, the show goes to commercial and comes back... and suddenly she's a tweaked-out mess in what feels like maybe 48 hours? And amen to the poster above who cited Papi's shockingly cavalier attitude to her new habit. He used to sell drugs, how/why would he legitimately believe the photographer was offering up "vitamins"?

Elektra hates Blanca, loves Blanca, hates Blanca again, loves Blanca again... ? Seriously?? And what about the decomposing body in her closet?!

The cabaret in season one (f. Rodriguez and Porter singing "Home") made me weep; this season's waaaaay-too-long cabaret segment had me rolling my eyes with every single performance. Again, the producers took season-one gold, tried (unsuccessfully) to recapture the magic and, instead, made it all feel like uninspired recycling.

See also: those group dinners in almost every episode. They've already become clichéd and forced. Friends and frenemies coming together to break bread at the end of the season one finale was perfect; now, those dinners have lost all meaning. And whoever said Billy Porter's Emmy thirst is on display in every scene nailed it: I half-expect "For Your Consideration" to scroll by in the lower-third each time he's onscreen.

The only saving graces this season have been MJ Rodriguez and Angelica Ross, who both continue to turn in fine work.

by Anonymousreply 346August 6, 2019 12:37 AM

Didn’t we get to see where Pray Tell lives in a season 1 episode? Why is he always sitting at Blanca’s table?

by Anonymousreply 347August 6, 2019 12:40 AM

R347 because that’s his friend and he visits her.

In case you forgot his BF died. He’s alone now.

by Anonymousreply 348August 6, 2019 1:13 AM

Pray Tell getting that Vitamin D!!

Damon gonna be pissed!

by Anonymousreply 349August 7, 2019 2:06 AM

Did everyone stop watching??

by Anonymousreply 350August 7, 2019 3:16 AM

The last few weeks were lackluster but tonight was really strong. Billy Porter was really good tonight and he has dialed back the histrionics. Even the actor who plays Damon was excellent tonight.

I still don't fight Angel as interesting this season, though. She's whiny and her nasal voice is grating.

by Anonymousreply 351August 7, 2019 3:20 AM

*find

by Anonymousreply 352August 7, 2019 3:21 AM

Just watched 3 episodes. Ugh - really hate it. The acting is horrible. I watched it after Euphoria - and it’s like a bad web series in comparison. Atrocious plot, writing and acting. Just too painful to watch anymore. Would like someone to share what they like about this mess.

by Anonymousreply 353August 7, 2019 3:56 AM

POSE on FX is must see TV

by Anonymousreply 354August 7, 2019 4:01 AM

I just realized that one of my favorite queens from the '80s guest-starred back at the beginning of the season.

Patricia Black, who used to perform as Chena Black in Atlanta and Tampa, is a former Miss Continental and Miss Florida FI. Today she's the creative director for the Albright Fashion Library, a leading stylists' resource for red-carpet couture.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 355August 7, 2019 4:59 AM

Did they write out Ryan Jamaal Swain (Damon)? He's already begging Barry Jenkins for a role in his Alvin Ailey movie.

by Anonymousreply 356August 7, 2019 5:46 AM

Prey Tell and Ricky? disgusting! and why is Prey Tell always so damn greasy.

by Anonymousreply 357August 7, 2019 11:32 AM

As if Prey could ever hope to get a guy like Ricky.

by Anonymousreply 358August 7, 2019 1:26 PM

Is this the last season? It seems like they're wrapping up everyone's stories. And next week, where the Pose turns into an episode Sex In The City on vacation, looks like a definite "jump the shark" moment.

by Anonymousreply 359August 7, 2019 1:33 PM

Let's hope so, the whole show is jumping the shark

by Anonymousreply 360August 7, 2019 2:30 PM

They are already renewed for a third season.

by Anonymousreply 361August 7, 2019 2:44 PM

Really R361. This thing needs to be put out of its misery. It’s horrible.

by Anonymousreply 362August 7, 2019 3:10 PM

R362 yes. They got renewed for a third season the night after the season 2 premiere.

This seasons doing well, despite the quality being down.

Actually I am not shocked that the dumber it gets the more people tune in.

Season one was probably too “slow” for some.

by Anonymousreply 363August 7, 2019 3:13 PM

Apparently Ryan Murphy will end the series after season 3 or 4. He doesn’t want this series to over run its course.

by Anonymousreply 364August 7, 2019 3:14 PM

I really, really liked Season 1 surprisingly. And while Season 2 has its moments, everyone getting a huge break is a bit more wish-fulfillment than reality. If it's ciphering Paris is Burning, it needs a bit more melancholy. We saw that in Season 1, and we're really not seeing it this season excepting Pray in the hospital and Ricky with his diagnosis.

Angel having these huge modeling campaigns? Maybe I could believe a couple of shots in Spiegel (let's bring THAT in <3) or JC Penney Damon going on a big tour right out of graduation? Blanca with her salon? I still don't understand how she has such a nicely decorated salon but could never paint their apartment. Lulu just snapping out of her depression and drug habit? The fall and rise and fall and rise of Elektra Abundance/Ferocity/Evangelista/Wintour?

The one thing I will say is Blanca is so much better this season as far as acting and is very likeable. Candi was a CONSTELLATION this season as well.

This season definitely shows Ryan Murphy curse, though. Still gonna tune in next week for this ridiculous vacation.

by Anonymousreply 365August 7, 2019 3:21 PM

No shade, but I think we all need a break from Damon. He is exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 366August 7, 2019 3:29 PM

It's all a big fantasy but it's nice to see gays and trans succeeding on screen.

It isn't every day that you can watch a major American TV show featuring two AA men in a romantic relationship.

by Anonymousreply 367August 7, 2019 3:45 PM

If it were at all realistic, everyone in the cast would die of AIDS or racist or anti-trans violence by the end, except Papi, who'd be doing porn for the the Latino Fan club.

by Anonymousreply 368August 7, 2019 4:12 PM

Are you bitches in a coma? Last night was the best episode of the season bar none. So many memorable scenes and lines. I lived for last night’s episode!!! The kiki brunch scene was hilarious! The graduation party scene was like a death drop...so much tea spilled by Damon. I can rewatch Electra’s facial expressions over and over...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 369August 7, 2019 4:28 PM

Last night's episode was the best of the season, R369 (tied with the Pray in the hospital scene. Candi being the ghost of Christmas present <3).

by Anonymousreply 370August 7, 2019 5:46 PM

Milking dead Candi for every last drop of formaldehyde. They can't write realistic scripts, so why not veer into fantasy land and stay there?

by Anonymousreply 371August 7, 2019 5:49 PM

R369, I wouldn't say it was the best episode ever, but I loved the diner scene and would watch a spinoff show with those 4 wonderful queens. And so happy to see Damon go. The character was good, the actor, atrocious and brought down every scene he was in. Ricky, however. Wow!

by Anonymousreply 372August 7, 2019 7:46 PM

Dyllon is a much better actor than Ryan. And more charismatic. Damon is too much of a Mary Sue. Everything he does is perfect. And he is smug and self-righteous when it comes to other characters.

by Anonymousreply 373August 7, 2019 9:33 PM

Angel and Lil Papi moving to the Village in 1990, very improbable. The buildings there always were strictly monitored for illegal sublets and credit checks were mandatory.

A tranny and a drug dealer would not go over well in that neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 374August 7, 2019 9:37 PM

Angel is a slimy bitch. So are we supposed to believe that she sprouted integrity and volunteered not only to confess her drug use, but ask Blanca to kick her out of the house? She sat there and ruined Damon's graduation party. Then she acts like she's redeeming herself? Bitch already had a plan. She wanted to get kicked out so she wouldn't have to admit that she's dropping everyone for greener pastures. And no resolution to the drug issue? Blanca just hugs Angel and says okay?

I don't like Damon but he redeemed himself in this episode.

Pray and Ricky are disgusting.

Those of us that lived through the early 90s will know that ad campaigns were not known for their diversity. There were very few women of color represented. Angel would never have been the face of Bebe much less Wet and Wild.

by Anonymousreply 375August 7, 2019 9:44 PM

Moved to the Village in 1990. It was already solidly yuppie/upper middle class. Even a corporate gay guy could barely get in.

by Anonymousreply 376August 7, 2019 9:52 PM

"I want you to have me too."

Ricky ask Pray to fuck him in the ass?

by Anonymousreply 377August 7, 2019 9:55 PM

I’m hoping the relationship between Ricky and Pray will die a quick death...the age difference is a turnoff. Twitter was gagging at the price of the flat $450 near the river...the good old days of NYC.

by Anonymousreply 378August 7, 2019 10:06 PM

Pray looks more mid 50s than mid 40s....not trying to be a bitchy queen, but his face seems a bit long in the tooth

by Anonymousreply 379August 7, 2019 10:24 PM

I thought Billy Porter was in his mid-50s but he's actually 49. He looks slightly older.

I don't mind the Pray Tell/Ricky relationship.

But no way would Pray's pussy be giving up Ricky's dick to top.

Also, where did the rivalry between Angel and Damon come from? Seemed to come from out of nowhere, although I liked Angel taunting Damon because he thinks he's so much better than everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 380August 7, 2019 11:12 PM

Lil Papi is a drug dealing wannabe with no education or prospects for the future. Tranny cover girl Angel will end up dropping him for someone who can enhance her career.

by Anonymousreply 381August 8, 2019 12:36 AM

Angel is annoying this season. Always whining in that nasal voice.

they don't seem to know what to do with her this season. Sadly, she was more interesting as a hooker.

by Anonymousreply 382August 8, 2019 12:53 AM

They foreshadowed something with Angel and the photographer who knows her “secret.” She will be exposed.

by Anonymousreply 383August 8, 2019 1:10 AM

I love Pray and Ricky together.

by Anonymousreply 384August 8, 2019 1:28 AM

Mother Blanca will be sainted by the Pope if she keeps going this way.....Her character has too much integrity and not enough public assistance

by Anonymousreply 385August 8, 2019 1:43 AM

I also like Ricky and Pray together. Ricky and Damon had zero chemistry. Damon just sucks the joy out of every scene. I don't know if it's the actor or the writing but Damon just emits this attitude of his shit don't stink and it is present in all of his scenes.

by Anonymousreply 386August 8, 2019 1:48 AM

Will insufferable Damon hopefully go down in a plane crash on the way to a Europe and Lil Papi comes in during a house dinner and announces it like Radar in MASH?

by Anonymousreply 387August 8, 2019 2:11 AM

No, r387. Damon will become the world's most beloved dancer. Everything he does turns to gold. It's just ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 388August 8, 2019 2:13 AM

Damon is a little chunky to be a dancer, no?

by Anonymousreply 389August 8, 2019 2:15 AM

^^^^Girl!

I was just saying this last night. Damon has the worst posture and there is no way a thickums like him would be a professional dancer.

by Anonymousreply 390August 8, 2019 2:23 AM

Damon Must Die! DL has spoken!

by Anonymousreply 391August 8, 2019 1:55 PM

Wow they got a little porny with that opening. Might be the most explicit love scene in a non-pay channel yet.

by Anonymousreply 392August 8, 2019 1:59 PM

R392, It was very “Queer As Folk” the UK version...I almost clutched my pearls.

by Anonymousreply 393August 8, 2019 4:44 PM

How humiliating to be a 19-year-old twink and lose your bf to Billy Stritch. I mean--

by Anonymousreply 394August 8, 2019 11:00 PM

Damon flops around like a fish out of water.

by Anonymousreply 395August 9, 2019 2:38 PM

You saying Pray isn't sexy?

by Anonymousreply 396August 10, 2019 4:06 AM

Pray looks a little too simian

by Anonymousreply 397August 10, 2019 5:48 PM

Pose is not as important or good as it thinks it is.

by Anonymousreply 398August 10, 2019 6:39 PM

R397 Billy Porter has had A LOT of plastic surgery. His face is tighter than a 16-year old virgin's cooter.

by Anonymousreply 399August 10, 2019 6:44 PM

R399, there are no 16-year-old virgins anymore.

by Anonymousreply 400August 10, 2019 7:50 PM

Damon is wearing “hammer pants”—did anybody in the real world actually wear those besides U No Who in his music video?

by Anonymousreply 401August 10, 2019 10:47 PM

R401 yes

I remember a friend of mine would wear them in Brooklyn.

by Anonymousreply 402August 10, 2019 10:56 PM

R401 the meatheads at my gym did. They were white trash with mullets.

by Anonymousreply 403August 10, 2019 11:06 PM

R403 my friend was white also. Would wear those pants with no shirt lmao

by Anonymousreply 404August 10, 2019 11:08 PM

They also sold those hideous pants in the beloved International Male catalog

by Anonymousreply 405August 10, 2019 11:09 PM

Billy Porter is attractive but all the plastic surgery he has had isn't flattering. He looks so tight this season, and it actually makes him look older. I was surprised to learn he's just about to turn 50.

by Anonymousreply 406August 11, 2019 2:17 AM

I loved the dinner scene when Elektra walked to the kitchen and returned to find out that Pray had slept with the young'em. I can't remember what she said but it was so funny.

by Anonymousreply 407August 11, 2019 2:34 AM

[quote]Are you bitches in a coma? Last night was the best episode of the season bar none. So many memorable scenes and lines. I lived for last night’s episode!!! The kiki brunch scene was hilarious! The graduation party scene was like a death drop...so much tea spilled by Damon. I can rewatch Electra’s facial expressions over and over...

I agree. This was the best episode this season so far. It had sex, laughter, and drama.

The only con is that Blanca brushed off Angel's drug use.

by Anonymousreply 408August 11, 2019 2:35 AM

R406 I think Billy Porter has been shaving a few years off his age, in addition to shaving a few wrinkles off his face.

by Anonymousreply 409August 11, 2019 6:29 PM

[quote]Pose is not as important or good as it thinks it is

Isn't there some Kardasian marathon you should be watching?

by Anonymousreply 410August 11, 2019 6:41 PM

I'm just not feeling the Angel character this season. You can tell they don't know what to do with her character in season two Last season, Indya Moore was fantastic but this season, her story is really cheesy and uninteresting. The whole model story is not believable and pointless. It may only be interesting if she's outed.

The relationship between Angel and Stan was complex and interesting; the relationship between Angel and Lil Papi is superfluous and one-note.

by Anonymousreply 411August 11, 2019 7:38 PM

R409 I agree. There's no way he's 49.

by Anonymousreply 412August 12, 2019 12:04 AM

Are they setting Angel up to be Gia - the tranny version?

by Anonymousreply 413August 12, 2019 5:12 PM

You crazy bitches are blind. Porter is fucking hot as hell.

by Anonymousreply 414August 13, 2019 3:38 AM

r414 = Billy

by Anonymousreply 415August 13, 2019 3:44 AM

I think R413 is on to something. When Angel took her first snort of cocaine, I immediately thought of that era's models who got hooked on drugs . I didn't think of the Gia scenario, but now that you mention it, I think that would be a good storyline. And we know that Ryan Murphy loves to make reference to real life events.

by Anonymousreply 416August 13, 2019 1:55 PM

Is tonight the last episode of the season for this train wreck?

by Anonymousreply 417August 13, 2019 2:42 PM

No, R417, still one more to go (next week). It's a 10-episode season.

I'm really hoping the series gets back to season-one quality next year. Season two has been very disappointing overall, and I don't have much hope that the last two episodes will miraculously make up for all that came before.

by Anonymousreply 418August 13, 2019 8:24 PM

More vogueing! More awarding of trophies!

by Anonymousreply 419August 13, 2019 8:57 PM

Too bad for you, great season and passed last year by miles.

by Anonymousreply 420August 13, 2019 9:35 PM

Yes, the Solid Gold episode was riveting TV.

by Anonymousreply 421August 13, 2019 9:55 PM

^^^ True, countdowns always add a sense of tension and reveal to a show!

by Anonymousreply 422August 13, 2019 10:55 PM

Why do I think R421 was channeling Dorothy Zbornak when he wrote that post?

by Anonymousreply 423August 13, 2019 11:04 PM

The revenge of Candy!!! Everyone now looks old and worn....Suck on it Bitches

by Anonymousreply 424August 14, 2019 1:03 AM

Tonight's episode was fun. Pure fantasy, yes, but I enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 425August 14, 2019 3:02 AM

It was far-fetched tonight but enjoyable. The music was great.

by Anonymousreply 426August 14, 2019 3:06 AM

Finally, an episode with some life and magic to it! This season has been so dreary and mediocre.

by Anonymousreply 427August 14, 2019 5:58 AM

Best episode of the season and the lifeguard was fucking hot

by Anonymousreply 428August 14, 2019 12:09 PM

The music was on point...brings me back to high school.

by Anonymousreply 429August 14, 2019 12:21 PM

I didn't think I'd like this episode, but I really enjoyed it. Dominique Jackson (Elektra) may not be the best actress in the world, but the way she says her lines make me laugh. She is hilarious and I think she's found her niche. Love her.

by Anonymousreply 430August 14, 2019 2:49 PM

Does Elektra not have any volume modulation to her voice? Everything that comes out of her mouth seems to be at full volume and very grating.

by Anonymousreply 431August 14, 2019 2:54 PM

This show just seems to becoming a tranny wish fulfillment exercise, revisionist AIDS history activism, instant business ventures, bottomless wardrobe without cost, endless ball trophies, modeling contracts, hunky straight acting lifeguards rescuing you and falling in love and more. Last season had some levels of gritty realism, which seems to be lacking this time around.

by Anonymousreply 432August 14, 2019 3:01 PM

The actress who plays Electra reads her lines like a robot. They should replace her in season 3 with Max Headroom--wasn't he still popular in 1990?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 433August 14, 2019 3:30 PM

That's what makes her funny.

And we know all you queens were Boogie Oogie Ooging during that scene.

by Anonymousreply 434August 14, 2019 4:17 PM

Who cares R433? It's not Shakespeare. Dominique is having campy fun with her character. It's a joy to watch her.

by Anonymousreply 435August 14, 2019 7:56 PM

R435 No a joy for all of us hun!

by Anonymousreply 436August 14, 2019 7:57 PM

Then you don't have to watch R436. Why torture yourself like that? Life is too short to be miserable.

by Anonymousreply 437August 14, 2019 8:02 PM

[quote]Finally, an episode with some life and magic to it! This season has been so dreary and mediocre.

That's because Billy Porter was nowhere to be seen. He drags down any scene he's in.

There have been so many unresolved and undeveloped storylines this season. Ryan Murphy doing the very least again.

by Anonymousreply 438August 14, 2019 8:55 PM

I wish they kept Candy and killed off Lulu instead. I can't stand her voice.

by Anonymousreply 439August 14, 2019 10:21 PM

I'm with you R439 Plot twist--Candy wasn't really a ghost since she never died...see ya, Lulu!

by Anonymousreply 440August 14, 2019 10:34 PM

The lifeguard was hot but it's total fantasy. Wonder if Blanca will tell him her status?

Killing off Candy was dumb. Last night's episode would have been even better with Candy. Lulu adds nothing to any of her scenes.

by Anonymousreply 441August 14, 2019 11:36 PM

I really hate when they use current day slang in the scripts when no one used the word bougie back then.

by Anonymousreply 442August 15, 2019 1:18 AM

MJ Rodriguez wins Best Actress at Imagen Awards:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 443August 15, 2019 1:48 AM

So, there's rumours that Ryan (Damon) doesn't get along with the cast. You notice he hasn't been at any of the events, including the Imagen Awards. He barely tweets to the other cast members (although he did tweet MJ the other night).

there is di

by Anonymousreply 444August 15, 2019 1:51 AM

Oops - computer published message before it was finished.

There does seem to be some divide between Ryan and the rest of the show.

by Anonymousreply 445August 15, 2019 1:52 AM

Sophomoric scripts, and everything R432 wrote. It's like trans fan fiction.

I support LGBT entertainment, but this has been a pain. I multitask while half-watching because each scene takes so long to develop, if it ever does.

Also, why the fuck didn't Elektra just dump the corpse in the ocean at night?

by Anonymousreply 446August 15, 2019 4:12 AM

I love this show and think there's never been anything like it. But I am fully aware it has turned into full-on soap opera / Melrose Place fantasy mode in season two. The first season had a semi-hold on reality and seemed to tackle issues in a realistically provocative way. Season two? I'm waiting for someone to blow up the apartment complex and reveal their cranial scar under a wig, Still, as a young gay man who lived in NYC in the 1990's... I love it and eat up every episode. I can't complain! (or can I?)

by Anonymousreply 447August 15, 2019 4:22 AM

I'm like you r447. The first season was pretty much perfect. The second season has been all over the place. The last episode was fun but it was fantasy. I loved Elektra dragging that white bitch but let's face it, they probably would have been kicked out of that restaurant. And it's unlikely Blanca would have scored a hot lifeguard who was okay with her being trans.

But I enjoy it the same. I am nostalgic for that time period. I can't believe 1990 was so long ago.

by Anonymousreply 448August 15, 2019 4:26 AM

R442 Gladys Knight was singing about being bourgie back in 1980.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 449August 15, 2019 4:28 AM

[442] wasn’t in the scene back then but “that part” took me out of it. that felt way too current

by Anonymousreply 450August 15, 2019 4:34 AM

Also, are we done with the weeping seroconversion scenes? That message has been played four times. It truly was an awful time, but they're failing to offer any nuance. I doubt any viewer under 40 years old will get it at all.

Also, the condom/house ripoff of the real Jesse Helms action was just stupid. The real action was a bold political statement, not some petty squabble with a landlord. I don't care if Peter Staley's okay with it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 451August 15, 2019 4:42 AM

Despite the bad acting, I find Elektra fun and endearing. Cast her in a remake of "Coffy" or "Cleopatra Jones"!

by Anonymousreply 452August 15, 2019 4:47 AM

That white bitch in the restaurant was totally a DLer.

by Anonymousreply 453August 15, 2019 4:58 AM

R453 Testify! That table she crawled back to is this very website.

by Anonymousreply 454August 15, 2019 12:01 PM

Plus, in the last episode I loved how Damon was like, "OMG I may have seroconverted oh well I'm leaving the nest to go tour europe with Malcolm McLaren I got this entire gig last night goodbye everyone."

by Anonymousreply 455August 15, 2019 12:04 PM

[quote]That white bitch in the restaurant was totally a DLer.

Yeah, and she posted at R431.

by Anonymousreply 456August 15, 2019 12:13 PM

The last episode reminded me of SATC a little...when the 4 girls went to LA and Carrie got invited to that big mansion by Carrie Fisher's agent, pretending to be someone else. Last season was a little more Golden Girls and this one is more SATC - with less direction. Still entertaining I guess. I just found the drowning incident so manufactured... like they were only going up to their thighs and now she's drowning and getting saved by the hot life guard? Gurl... aright, get your wish fulfillment in there.

by Anonymousreply 457August 15, 2019 8:51 PM

Too funny R447 I have compared this season to Melrose Place too! Ridiculous high drama. I'm mostly dsappointed in Ms. Lupone.

by Anonymousreply 458August 15, 2019 10:01 PM

R457 At first glance I read "Last season was a little more Golden Girls and this one is more SATC - with less direction, " as "with less diction!" Because of the bad acting.

by Anonymousreply 459August 15, 2019 10:08 PM

One nit pick about the last episode that I think is a whopper: no queer person back then said, "sickening looks." Not only did it not exist as a slang term, but people were still dropping dead from AIDS!

by Anonymousreply 460August 15, 2019 10:27 PM

The scripts are full of anachronisms, and scenes rely too much on music of the day as segues and to create the setting.

by Anonymousreply 461August 15, 2019 10:35 PM

It was nice to see the charm in Elektra come through. For once, you could see why these ladies have her as a friend. She can be fun at times.

by Anonymousreply 462August 16, 2019 7:22 AM

I was so annoyed when Pray scolded Ricky for “bottom shaming.” That was not a term in 1990. The anachronisms on this show are super irritating. Also, having to watch that poor hot actor do a sex scene with Billy Porter was enough to make me vom for days.

by Anonymousreply 463August 16, 2019 2:45 PM

Speaking of anachronisms, didn't Malcolm McLaren's "Deep in Vogue" come out a bit before Madonna's "Vogue"? Is the show going to have Damon re-create that music video, you think? In addition to being on tour with him? I mean, Angel's starring in Bebe and Wet 'n Wild campaigns, so anything is possible!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 464August 16, 2019 8:29 PM

Coming up in season 3:

Pray Tell invents the HIV drug cocktail, with butter!

Elektra crashes the Met Opera opening night and sings an aria from "Carmen"! The New York Times raves!

Angel gets on the cover of Vogue and Anna Wintour contours her pipi!

Candi starts Wigstock! from beyond the grave!

Papi gets a job at the Gaiety and is discovered by a porn director! He becomes a gay-for-pay superstar! Then he quits, because he loves Angel, who has become a heroin addict, but quits, because she loves him.

Blanca mopes around her empty unpainted apartment, eating puh-sketti and gulping wine, until her lifeguard man sweeps her off her feet! Then he gets hit by a bus!

by Anonymousreply 465August 16, 2019 8:47 PM

Anyone notice how Blanca sounds more like a man when she sings?

by Anonymousreply 466August 16, 2019 8:54 PM

R466. Yes.

by Anonymousreply 467August 16, 2019 8:57 PM

Blanca’s apartment is gross, and some paint would go a loooong way. But what irks me the most about it is those damn broken interior door windows! Like, isn’t that shit dangerous??? Just knock out the broken pieces, momma!

by Anonymousreply 468August 16, 2019 8:59 PM

It's set decor as character; insipid and illogical. She spends her life savings (from what?) creating an entire storefront (which never had more than one customer at a time), and never got the house to use a bit of spackle on those crumbling walls. Dumb. Just dumb.

by Anonymousreply 469August 16, 2019 9:17 PM

[quote]Papi gets a job at the Gaiety and is discovered by a porn director! He becomes a gay-for-pay superstar!

Weirdly, I could totally see this actually happening in season three.

by Anonymousreply 470August 16, 2019 10:39 PM

I know Papi is a favorite here but I want Ricky to do things to me.

by Anonymousreply 471August 17, 2019 3:00 PM

^^^ Better you then Praytell!

by Anonymousreply 472August 17, 2019 3:17 PM

R464, someone in the episode made a reference to Deep in Vogue, when referring to who McLaren was at the time, and yes it predated Madge's Vogue.

by Anonymousreply 473August 17, 2019 4:07 PM

I think Dyllon Burnside is doing a great job as Ricky. He's really surprised me this season. The scene where Ricky learned he was HIV was very well done. And if Dyllon can make you believe that Ricky wanted to sleep with Pray Tell/Billy Porter, well, kudos to Dyllon.

I have a feeling Ricky may die. I hope not. But I'm sure we will have to put up with the insufferable Damon. I find Ryan so smug and charmless. I bet he resents that Dyllon is becoming more popular.

by Anonymousreply 474August 17, 2019 5:22 PM

Ricky deserves to be a main character. Dyllon is so hot and charming. And a great actor. Suck it, Damon.

by Anonymousreply 475August 17, 2019 5:54 PM

LuLu is the bomb! She hits all the right notes with her performance, every time. She is a transgender Meryl Streep in the making. Mark this post and in 5 years you all will see.

by Anonymousreply 476August 18, 2019 12:03 AM

r476 = Hailie Sahar

by Anonymousreply 477August 18, 2019 1:15 AM

FX reran all of season one this past weekend, and it served as yet another reminder of how far the show has fallen.

As others have noted, season one was perfect. Season two, on the other hand, is scattered, sloppy and emotionally hollow, and its storylines (which seem to last one episode each, so there's no time for any real investment on the part of the audience) are sorely lacking the heart, depth and narrative density that made me LOVE this series last year.

It feels a bit like the showrunners never expected to get a second season, so they poured their heart and souls into making a single, spectacular standalone season... and then had nothing left -- and no idea what to do with any of the characters -- for season two.

by Anonymousreply 478August 19, 2019 12:05 PM

I’m not trans, but landed a gorgeous guy in a Speedo at the beach like that when I was young.

But he questioned his sexuality and threw up after we had sex, though.

by Anonymousreply 479August 19, 2019 12:37 PM

Hot air alert at R478. This season's Candy episode is the best episode on all of TV this year and blows anything from last season away.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 480August 19, 2019 3:37 PM

Agreed that the Candy episode was a standout this season, R480 -- I commented as such, as well, earlier in this thread. But that's been the exception, and the bar seems to have been lowered overall in the second season.

One strong episode does not a great season make, unfortunately. And randomly dropping Candy's ghost into subsequent episodes has felt very gimmicky.

by Anonymousreply 481August 19, 2019 5:12 PM

I enjoyed the "Girl's Trip" episode -- I don't mind the show leaning into Wish Fulfillment at all; when the show is goofy and has a sense of humor is when it's at its best. It's when it goes all earnest that it makes me want to scratch my eyes out -- not a single actor on this show is good enough to handle the heavier material, and Billy Porter is the worst of all.

by Anonymousreply 482August 19, 2019 5:25 PM

So if Electra isn't the villain any more, who is?

by Anonymousreply 483August 19, 2019 5:46 PM

I thought Patti Lupone's Helmsleyesque character was?

by Anonymousreply 484August 19, 2019 5:54 PM

The not-necessary, repeated references to the corpse in Elektra's closet (again) in the "Girl's Trip" episode, and her seeing Candy's ghost (again )in the rearview mirror at the end, almost made me wonder if they're going to kill her off in the final episode of this season!?!? With her immortalized in a New York magazine cover like Dorian Corey's, "The Drag Queen Who Had a Mummy in Her Closet."

I hope not, because she's my favorite character!

by Anonymousreply 485August 19, 2019 10:03 PM

[quote] repeated references to the corpse in Elektra's closet (again)

You know that's based on a true story don't you?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 486August 20, 2019 1:27 AM

Stupid show

by Anonymousreply 487August 20, 2019 1:51 AM

I adore Sandra Bernhard this season. Her acting seems very natural.

by Anonymousreply 488August 21, 2019 2:47 AM

Agreed, she's outstanding and a welcome edition. Lupone was really good in her scene too.

by Anonymousreply 489August 21, 2019 2:53 AM

I find the Angel and Lil Papi scenes really awful. That scene with Eileen Ford was unbelievable. Evan Peters was a much better screen partner for Indya.

This finale just demonstrates again how much better season one was.

by Anonymousreply 490August 21, 2019 2:57 AM

Sandra Bernhard has a memorable face.

by Anonymousreply 491August 21, 2019 2:59 AM

They felt more like a series finale than a season finale.

by Anonymousreply 492August 21, 2019 3:26 AM

The finale was okay. The best scenes were with MJ.

Angel and Lil Papi - yawn.

by Anonymousreply 493August 21, 2019 3:31 AM

Electra as announcer was the best I’ve liked her.

by Anonymousreply 494August 21, 2019 3:32 AM

[quote]They felt more like a series finale than a season finale.

Sorry, meant to type "That," not they.

by Anonymousreply 495August 21, 2019 3:35 AM

They is the correct pronoun.

by Anonymousreply 496August 21, 2019 3:36 AM

R495, I agree. I feel the series could end here and I’d be wholly satisfied.

by Anonymousreply 497August 21, 2019 3:37 AM

I think they effectively wrote Damon out of the show when it returns next season. He clearly has a full life in Europe now and no reason to come back full-time anymore (except for possibly a guest appearance).

by Anonymousreply 498August 21, 2019 3:38 AM

If Pose returns, it needs more sex appeal. Dyllon Burnside is the only attractive man on the show.

by Anonymousreply 499August 21, 2019 3:41 AM

R499, also Lil Papi.

by Anonymousreply 500August 21, 2019 3:42 AM

R500 Lil Papi is a butterface.

by Anonymousreply 501August 21, 2019 3:44 AM

I had trouble hearing the dialogue over the music in a lot of scenes.

Not gonna lie, I did tear up at that last scene.

Elektra is fabulous.

It did look like a series finale.

by Anonymousreply 502August 21, 2019 3:45 AM

The problem is the actor who plays Lil Papi is a terrible actor. His crying scene was cringey. I also think Indya isn't as strong this season.

Damon can go. When his character turned up I realized I didn't miss him at all.

MJ's entrance at the ball was fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 503August 21, 2019 3:52 AM

I hate to be a sucker for drama but I want more TRAGEDY. Season 1 really hit it perfectly and came full circle with Elektra joining Evangelista. It was all too much with the changing houses and so on this season. What’s the point now if they’re all BFFs?

This season was a lot of wish fulfillment and projection. Pose needs a lot more GAY and pump the breaks on the trans pedal a tad. Isn’t tonight the first time we’ve actually seen... drag?!

Also that black and brown pride flag

ALSO basic bitch (from last week) is NOT 90s

Also everything about Papi/Angel this season

ALSO do you believe at all that they have passports to galavant off wherever? They can’t even afford paint for their “house.”

I loved the full circle for Blanca at the end tho. But... S3 will now ruin it?

by Anonymousreply 504August 21, 2019 6:40 AM

[quote]That scene with Eileen Ford was unbelievable.

It's not a documentary Dear. And there was a famous transgendered model of that time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 505August 21, 2019 9:05 AM

Amazing how Blanca is at death's door one minute and then jumping up from a wheelchair and belting out a song at the ball, lip syncing for her life. RuPaul must have been so proud.

by Anonymousreply 506August 21, 2019 11:54 AM

[quote]Amazing how Blanca is at death's door one minute and then jumping up from a wheelchair and belting out a song at the ball, lip syncing for her life. RuPaul must have been so proud.

She was in the hospital a while, it wasn't a 24 hour thing. People did survive another day back then. Even Sandra said it would at least another week when she asked if she could go home.

by Anonymousreply 507August 21, 2019 12:10 PM

Damon only existed to better define/highlight MJ's character. He isn't that interesting by himself.

by Anonymousreply 508August 21, 2019 5:56 PM

Definitely more Dylan. He lights up the screen

by Anonymousreply 509August 21, 2019 5:59 PM

Yea, this last episode felt more like a series finale. I think the show has run its course.

by Anonymousreply 510August 21, 2019 6:28 PM

R508 Not at first, the whole series started with him being thrown out of his home and coming to NYC. It looked like he was to be our audience surrogate into this new world and be a main character. Maybe not being able to act or dance curtailed what they originally planned for the character.

by Anonymousreply 511August 21, 2019 6:30 PM

Can Season 3 be them all going to a house of horrors in Jersey, then all get stabbed to death? Oops, wrong derivative Murphy product.

by Anonymousreply 512August 21, 2019 8:43 PM

^^^ How about Pose: Coven!

by Anonymousreply 513August 21, 2019 8:47 PM

Commentary: How Candy’s Death on ‘Pose’ Almost Ruined The Second Season:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 514August 22, 2019 12:09 AM

'Pose' Boss Explains "Emotional Roller Coaster" Finale and Looks Ahead to Season 3:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 515August 22, 2019 12:36 AM

FX's Season Finale of 'Pose' brought to you by Saccharin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 516August 22, 2019 12:54 AM

When did Whitney sing the national anthem?

by Anonymousreply 517August 22, 2019 1:18 AM

Wasn’t that Tula person also in a Power Station video?

John was a fan and seemed impressed by her. 😛. I don’t think he knew...

by Anonymousreply 518August 22, 2019 1:30 AM

R518 Yes, she was - "Some Like it Hot." There's a little wink to her transgenderism toward the end of the video, with her in the barber chair and shaving cream on her face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 519August 22, 2019 1:41 AM

[quote]Commentary: How Candy’s Death on ‘Pose’ Almost Ruined The Second Season:

Some people think too much.

by Anonymousreply 520August 22, 2019 1:59 AM

Actually, I thought the writer made some good points r520. This season was messy. Still watchable but messy.

by Anonymousreply 521August 22, 2019 2:00 AM

[quote]Yes, she was - "Some Like it Hot." There's a little wink to her transgenderism toward the end of the video, with her in the barber chair and shaving cream on her face.

Wow, thanks haven't heard this in ages.

by Anonymousreply 522August 22, 2019 2:01 AM

I just watched the episode. I felt it rang true with the second half of season two. It was very emotional, but even the deep drama was sugar-coated and fantasy-like. Season one was much real-er and uglier (and the first few episodes of season two started out that way).

The show is in major soap opera mode now, but I don't feel it has run its course. I'm looking forward to season three. I just hope they mix it up in season three and get ugly as shit to balance out the fairy tale qualities that have taken over the story lines.

Queer NYC was a bumpy ride in the early 90's! There's lots to pull from.

by Anonymousreply 523August 22, 2019 2:27 AM

Has MJ fully transitioned aka The Chop? She has NO breasts.

by Anonymousreply 524August 22, 2019 2:28 AM

[quote]I was just saying this last night. Damon has the worst posture and there is no way a thickums like him would be a professional dancer.

Really? I guess you weren't around back then because after Willi Ninja became ever so slightly famous he gained noticeable weight and his nickname became Willie "Steak'ums" Ninja. He was always a marvelous dancer.

I briefly dated Robert Vazquez quoted above. He is a sharp, wise and wonderful guy.

by Anonymousreply 525August 22, 2019 3:23 AM

At the end of the episode there was a quote attributed to “Pray Tell.” There was a real Pray Tell???

by Anonymousreply 526August 22, 2019 11:26 AM

I’m going to open a drag bar and name it “Candy’s Hammer”

by Anonymousreply 527August 22, 2019 2:01 PM

Those street urchins at the end of the episode who Blanca took under her wing — do you think once they saw her broke down apartment they said “ummm, we’re ok.”?

by Anonymousreply 528August 22, 2019 4:32 PM

[quote] I didn't care much for last night's "very special" episode. It seemed a bit heavy handed and while I liked the Candy character, I wasn't so invested in her that it warranted such a melodramatic and emotional conclusion to her nonexistent story arc. The emotion felt very manufactured and forced, as if we were supposed to care about this character that we hardly saw or knew. If it were one of the main characters that passed, it would have had a bigger impact and carried more weight.

I am just making my way through Season 2. The episode with Candy's memorial is the most affecting of the entire series so far. It was brilliant that this rather anonymous member of the ensemble provoked all of these complex emotions in those around her. I love the scene where Pray Tell confessed to his resentment of her. All of her post-mortem scenes were well-acted, surprisingly since we barely knew her. The final lip-synch scene had me in tears. The series finally found some emotional resonance.

by Anonymousreply 529August 22, 2019 5:52 PM

[quote] I didn't care much for last night's "very special" episode. It seemed a bit heavy handed and while I liked the Candy character, I wasn't so invested in her that it warranted such a melodramatic and emotional conclusion to her nonexistent story arc. The emotion felt very manufactured and forced, as if we were supposed to care about this character that we hardly saw or knew. If it were one of the main characters that passed, it would have had a bigger impact and carried more weight.

I am just making my way through Season 2. The episode with Candy's memorial is the most affecting of the entire series so far. It was brilliant that this rather anonymous member of the ensemble provoked all of these complex emotions in those around her. I love the scene where Pray Tell confessed to his resentment of her. All of her post-mortem scenes were well-acted, surprisingly since we barely knew her. The final lip-synch scene had me in tears. The series finally found some emotional resonance.

by Anonymousreply 530August 22, 2019 5:52 PM

Blanca and the lifeguard episode was quite a stretch to believe. He just happens to be in medical school and is immediately attracted to a tranny who can't swim and doesn't have her GED. If they bring him back next season it will be beyond ridiculous. They have zippo in common.

by Anonymousreply 531August 22, 2019 11:38 PM

Opposites Attract

by Anonymousreply 532August 23, 2019 12:20 AM

R531 Blanca doesn’t have her GED? When did that come up?

by Anonymousreply 533August 23, 2019 12:29 AM

R531 oh and don’t forget she’s HIV+

But the last episode jumps forward like 8 months later and no mention of the lifeguard at all.

by Anonymousreply 534August 23, 2019 1:33 AM

Has a third season been announced? Terrible reviews for the finale—how are the ratings?

Will they do another time jump? Why not fast forward to 2019 so that the gang can be a part of the SJW/Woke/#TimesUp movement?

by Anonymousreply 535August 23, 2019 1:45 AM

[quote]They have zippo in common.

And ZERO chemistry.

I *love* MJ Rodriguez, but didn't find an ounce of believability in her swooning. Same goes for the actor playing the lifeguard. It all felt very forced and sterile, with no heat or passion between them.

by Anonymousreply 536August 23, 2019 12:36 PM

I might be the only one who is not impressed with the romance between Angel and Papi. A mildly clockable girl with a chance at a mainstream breakthrough wouldn't look twice at a drug dealer and hustler like Papi. She'd be with some white Wall Street-type for sure

by Anonymousreply 537August 23, 2019 1:11 PM

I might be the only one who is not impressed with the romance between Angel and Papi. A mildly clockable girl with a chance at a mainstream breakthrough wouldn't look twice at a drug dealer and hustler like Papi. She'd be with some white Wall Street-type for sure

by Anonymousreply 538August 23, 2019 1:12 PM

Didn't she already do that last season, R538? Evan Peters?

by Anonymousreply 539August 23, 2019 2:30 PM

R539 yes and that was more believable than the Papi romance

by Anonymousreply 540August 23, 2019 3:03 PM

A few musings and observations:

-So remarkable of the talent in these “children”: a tranny model with several national ad campaigns; a former drug dealer turned talent scout mentee under the famous Eileen Ford; a homeless kid who gets a full scholarship at a prestigious dance conservatory who then goes on to tour and choreograph with Malcolm McLaren, and living in Paris; a hustler who tours with Al B Sure AND Paula Abdul!! What are the ODDS??

by Anonymousreply 541August 23, 2019 3:09 PM

R541 You left out getting rescued and flirting with a hunky medical student lifeguard! That's what I said earlier, this whole season seems to be about wish fulfillment for its characters instead of realistic story lines. And when it is realistic or historical it's over the top like the mummy in the closet or the ACTUP protests. While they did deal with violence and murder of a trans characters this season, which is definitely an issue, have they tackled the fact that trans people have a very high rate of suicide, even after transitioning? I hope they explore this issue next season and with one of its main characters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 542August 23, 2019 4:34 PM

I thought for sure in the finale ball that Damon would spontaneously enter the voguing competition and win one for the House of Evangelista. Nope! The writers must hate the character as much as we all do.

by Anonymousreply 543August 23, 2019 4:38 PM

^^^ Damon and spontaneous are not two words that I would put together, Damon and wooded- Yes.

by Anonymousreply 544August 23, 2019 4:56 PM

None of the many characters suffers from being even five pounds overweight yet you think we may see them suffer from suicidal ideation? Okay....

by Anonymousreply 545August 23, 2019 5:02 PM

[quote]A few musings and observations:

It's a fucking soap opera, not a documentary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 546August 23, 2019 5:08 PM

Just as I predicted, the writers gave viewers whiplash trying to tie-up all the unresolved storylines in the final episode. The way they dealt with Patti LuPone's character was laughable. Frankly, none of the storylines were resolved satisfactorily.

That damn mummy is still in the closet with Pepper from Asylum!!

by Anonymousreply 547August 23, 2019 8:05 PM

The scripts are so stinky they need their own pine air fresheners, more than that corpse in a trunk.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 548August 23, 2019 8:56 PM

In the finale episode, Billy Porter says "Eeeewwww!" when talking to his ballroom committee in the diner, and it really sounded too modern.

by Anonymousreply 549August 24, 2019 2:35 AM

What?

by Anonymousreply 550August 24, 2019 3:20 AM

I met the actor who plays Ricky tonight. He was very nice and looks thinner in person than he does on TV. My friend who was with me asked him if he'll be back on the show next season and he said he's not sure. His smile is absolutely gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 551August 24, 2019 3:24 AM

You're not the only one r537. Angel was much more interesting last season. She and Lil Papi are boring together. It doesn't help that the actor who plays Lil Papi is a terrible actor. But he's Janet Mock's pet so he's going to get lots of airtime. He's no Evan Peters, though. The relationship between Angel and Stan was very complex and interesting.

Damon seems to be hated by viewers and the rest of the cast alike. He must be a real diva on set. I bet his role will be even further diminished next season.

by Anonymousreply 552August 24, 2019 3:25 AM

I agree that Angel lost a lot of the charm that she had in season one. They all did. Blanca was the only character that was better in the second season.

India Moore is looking a little rough lately, tbh.

by Anonymousreply 553August 24, 2019 3:57 AM

Indya is a bit off. I've had to stop following her on Twitter and Instagram because she does nothing but complain (in long rants) and then of course that tweet about transwomen being biological women. She's nuts.

by Anonymousreply 554August 24, 2019 7:16 AM

Indya can veer from really good to really bad in the course of one scene. Sometimes she's giving it her all and sometimes she seems totally disengaged. And yes, she was much better (and more consistent) last year.

by Anonymousreply 555August 24, 2019 12:48 PM

Has there ever been a question as to whether or not any of the male actors on the show are trans? I don't believe any of them are but so much of the focus is always on the female actors on the show, I just don't recall if anything has ever said about the guys.

by Anonymousreply 556August 24, 2019 1:30 PM

Blanca's character was inspired by Sylvia Rivera. This is what a tranny in the 90s truly looked like. She was HIV+ and pulling tricks and scams throughout her life, because life was hard, very hard. Her life of crime and other flaws have been scrubbed over time and her portrait now sits in the National Gallery in DC, yes, seriously.

Blanca on Pose is so sanitized and morally upright that it defies credulity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 557August 24, 2019 1:57 PM

OMG that is Patti Lupone on a bad hair day, eeeeek

by Anonymousreply 558August 24, 2019 6:50 PM

How was Patti's character allowed to wear that tatty wig in jail?

by Anonymousreply 559August 24, 2019 8:28 PM

MJ won the performer of the week on the TVLine page.

That’s good.

by Anonymousreply 560August 24, 2019 8:53 PM

MJ and Sylvia Rivera are very different. One has talent and the other wisdom from hard knocks.

by Anonymousreply 561August 24, 2019 9:15 PM

R543, Didn't Damon already do that? I think it was the episode where he graduated from Dance School. I can't remember which episode # it was but he walked into the ball, did his "Soul Train line" voguing down to the stage. He won the big trophy that night.

by Anonymousreply 562August 26, 2019 1:29 PM

R562 yes. But as we’ve seen, the same characters win the same categories again and again and again

by Anonymousreply 563August 26, 2019 2:11 PM

and the same threads bitching about the show's same faults!

by Anonymousreply 564August 27, 2019 8:53 PM

Let’s post the same complaints when the show commits the same faults next year!

by Anonymousreply 565August 27, 2019 10:42 PM

When It Comes to Dance, "Pose" Never Stands Still:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 566August 28, 2019 4:40 AM

A little shout out to Trudie Styler as Ms Ford. she impressed me in "The Night Of" HBO miniseries and she's terrific here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 567August 28, 2019 10:52 PM

One thing for sure, Indya really likes showing off her non-existent vulva.

by Anonymousreply 568September 5, 2019 11:46 PM

Well, where do I begin. I liked Season One for the most part. I absolutely love about 3 or 4 episodes. "LOVE IS THE MESSAGE" stands as their best episode to date. Hands down. LOVE the season one finale too. This season officially jumped the shark and crossed over into bullshit fantasy land starting with the Candy death episode. They couldn't just kill her off and let it leave you gutted and disturbed. No. Instead we get a damn ghost having fake conversations and reconciliation with the living. BULLSHIT. AND THEN, to top it all off we get a whole lipsynch dream sequence of a performance that never happened. AND THEN Candy's ghost kept reappearing! BARF. It just went completely down hill fast from that point on. I could barely watch the rest of the season. Just so much bullshit that other posters have mentioned. Angel and Papi and the drug storyline. haha. The most PREPOSTEROUS being Angel and "her" modeling campaigns. The quotes after every episode to give some sense of depth. haha! AMATUER. Bad writing, bad acting, bad soundtrack this time around. Anyone still watching this foolery should get their brain cells checked. I hate to break it to you, but you're probably missing some. What a letdown.

by Anonymousreply 569September 12, 2019 1:21 PM

Well, where do I begin. I liked Season One for the most part. I absolutely love about 3 or 4 episodes. "LOVE IS THE MESSAGE" stands as their best episode to date. Hands down. LOVE the season one finale too. This season officially jumped the shark and crossed over into bullshit fantasy land starting with the Candy death episode. They couldn't just kill her off and let it leave you gutted and disturbed. No. Instead we get a damn ghost having fake conversations and reconciliation with the living. BULLSHIT. AND THEN, to top it all off we get a whole lipsynch dream sequence of a performance that never happened. AND THEN Candy's ghost kept reappearing! BARF. It just went completely down hill fast from that point on. I could barely watch the rest of the season. Just so much bullshit that other posters have mentioned. Angel and Papi and the drug storyline. haha. The most PREPOSTEROUS being Angel and "her" modeling campaigns. The quotes after every episode to give some sense of depth. haha! AMATUER. Bad writing, bad acting, bad soundtrack this time around. Anyone still watching this foolery should get their brain cells checked. I hate to break it to you, but you're probably missing some. What a letdown.

by Anonymousreply 570September 12, 2019 1:21 PM

Ohhhh smell you.

by Anonymousreply 571September 13, 2019 5:46 PM

This off topic but the people at the very top of the thread implying that some of Pose’s audience don’t know what drag is or have never heard of Paris Is Burning are really funny. Because everybody knows that straight people with no idea what drag is are going to be watching a show about the 80’s ballroom scene.

by Anonymousreply 572September 13, 2019 6:41 PM

While I love the show very, very much I think what was missing in the second season was the ballroom drama and scheming. Season one found the balance between vicious rivalry and yet showing up and support one of your own when he or she needed it. Once Miss Candy was in the coffin the drama was sparse and reserved for one off episode shenanigans.

To me the second season's finale felt like the Looking special wrapping up all the loose ends and their "hey, what you've been up to?" exposition with that awkward time jump.

Again I love the show and to me the one where the girls go to the beach is my most favorite (yes, I like it even more than Miss Candy's funeral episode) episode, because of its feel-good vibe.

by Anonymousreply 573September 16, 2019 6:18 PM

So, Blanca isn't going to die any time soon? She took in some new kids at the end. The show wouldn't do that only to let these kids see her waste away to nothing and scar them forever?

by Anonymousreply 574September 16, 2019 6:23 PM

You all do realize that "gay" marriage will be front and center next season, yeah? Except this time, it will be about the injustice over how a "real straight woman" (Angel) can't marry a man which will be 100x more important than regular gays getting married. Mark it!

by Anonymousreply 575September 16, 2019 9:40 PM

How many days are month are the balls on this show? Where the hell they put all those trophy’s?

by Anonymousreply 576September 16, 2019 9:52 PM

What I love about Pose is the message that you have to support and nurture your community so it supports and nurtures you in return.

Look at guys like Aaron Schock who whine that the Gay / LGBTQ Community doesn't support them after years and years of stabbing that Gay / LGBTQ Community in the back. The nerve!

by Anonymousreply 577September 16, 2019 10:19 PM

[quote]Blanca and the lifeguard episode was quite a stretch to believe.

[quote]Opposites Attract

You mean Blanca is uncut and the lifeguard is cut, I guess?

by Anonymousreply 578September 17, 2019 6:10 AM

Christ, Janet Mock is hooking up with Lil Papi! Expect a lot of story lines for him in season three I guess.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 579September 18, 2019 1:15 PM

Finally got around to watching the season finale... and... meh. MJ Rodriguez was great, per usual, and I did enjoy Electra as ball emcee, but otherwise the episode (like the entire second season) was underwhelming and all over the map, story-wise. It felt very scattered and hollow, and didn't leave me excited for season three.

And I say that as someone who absolutely LOVED LOVED LOVED season one.

I'm really hoping that, as the show winds its way to the end, the writers can find their way back to the focus, depth and emotion that hooked me in the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 580September 25, 2019 11:50 AM

Whip Appeal scene is my favvvvv

by Anonymousreply 581December 10, 2019 12:13 AM

How do I see season 2? Fucking Netflix only has one season.

by Anonymousreply 582May 24, 2020 5:18 AM

[quote]The acting from Billy Porter superb once again.

Gurl....

by Anonymousreply 583May 24, 2020 5:21 AM

r582, Season 2 was just placed on Netflix last week!

by Anonymousreply 584June 14, 2020 8:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!