Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jackie & Lee

Per request, a thread on our favorite sisters, Jackie Kennedy Onassis and Lee Radziwill.

In Her Sister’s Shadow is on the DL required reading list. Get it now.

by Anonymousreply 202September 6, 2018 11:23 AM

Lee is delicious in this 2012 interview for T magazine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 11, 2018 12:30 AM

Right now, how much dough - ray - mee and assets does Lee have?

I know she owns an apartment in Paris.

by Anonymousreply 2July 11, 2018 12:32 AM

Per vintage gossip: “Onassis, Jacqueline Kennedy. Had a "world-class spending fetish." Linked with Gianni Agnelli, Warren Beatty, Marlon Brando, Pete Hamill, William Holden, JFK, RFK, Ari Onassis, and Frank Sinatra.”

by Anonymousreply 3July 11, 2018 12:36 AM

Jackie was simply vile. Greedy, snide, and pathologically materialistic, she never had a kind word to say about anyone but would grubbily accept their gifts. Obsessed with clothing and largely indifferent to social issues such as poverty. Overrated as a beauty as well. I laughed at the whole brouhaha over Kim Kardashian posing as Jackie. Jackie was just as much as a disgusting whore but for whatever reason, has an almost pristine image.

by Anonymousreply 4July 11, 2018 12:42 AM

Della— I assume she doesn’t have that much. Last year she put her Paris apartment on the market. Who knows if it has sold.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 11, 2018 12:45 AM

Always liked this one of the sisters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 11, 2018 12:46 AM

Here is an extremely detailed blog with everything you ever wanted to know about Lee’s various houses. I love the painted wood floors in her bedrooms.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 11, 2018 12:48 AM

Thanks, r5.

Whatever inheritance she received from her mother, the settlements from her ex-husbands, whatever income she may have earned, must have had to do. Jackie didn't name her as a beneficiary in her will.

I wonder how much she received in her divorce settlement from Herb Ross. He must have had millions more than her.

by Anonymousreply 8July 11, 2018 12:51 AM

Lee? She's a whore darlin'

by Anonymousreply 9July 11, 2018 12:53 AM

Lee knows why she didn't get named.

by Anonymousreply 10July 11, 2018 1:25 AM

Thank you, OP.

Thought maybe I read this here, maybe not... someone who lived near Jackie and Maurice was able to see their balcony and into their apartment. I can’t remember exactly what, but they saw them moving around like robots, not interacting with each other or speaking to each other.

Anyone else know what I’m talking about?

by Anonymousreply 11July 11, 2018 1:42 AM

Jackie gets a special place in heaven for birthing this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 11, 2018 1:46 AM

Jackie was a good parent to her children--avoided the excesses of the other Kennedys of her generation. She was shrewd in cultivating Joe and staying away from Rose. Once she had Ari's money she bcame less of a spoiled bitch and more of a decent person. Lee was always a whore and and not a good long game player.

by Anonymousreply 13July 11, 2018 1:50 AM

From the Vanity Fair article:

“Jackie had a complicated attitude toward money. Extravagance, even profligacy became part of her legend, yet she was shrewd about money. A friend says, "She spent other people's money but hoarded away her own like a squirrel." “

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14July 11, 2018 2:09 AM

I see that Lee’s feet aren’t as big as Jackie O’s clodhoppers!! My goodness Grandma, what large feet you have!

by Anonymousreply 15July 11, 2018 2:28 AM

Jackie was the one who had to shoulder the burden of dealing with her weird Bouvier cat lady relatives on Long Island in their run down old mansion full of cat shit and garbage. She also did a great service in saving many historic buildings in Washington and New York, including almost single-handedly saving Grand Central Station. She took on the project of restoration of the White House in the early 1960s and had laws passed ensuring preservation of valuable White House heritage. She patronized West Virginia glass manufacturers in an effort to bring attention to poverty in Appalachia. Lee did nothing but become a jet set whore as far as I know but somehow managed to outlive her sister by many years. Why is it that Lee has such a raspy voice and Jackie always had such a breathy, almost whispery, well modulated voice? Rex Reed always called Princess Lee Radziwill the "Princess of Nothing".

Now DL "folk", tell me why Jackie pointedly excluded Lee from any inheritance from her in her will because I've never been able to figure it out.

by Anonymousreply 16July 11, 2018 2:35 AM

Didn’t Lee seduce JFK?

by Anonymousreply 17July 11, 2018 2:36 AM

Herb Ross had actually executed a new Will, on his deathbed, no less (!), in order to prevent Lee from placing her grubby little hands on his Hamptons estate.

by Anonymousreply 18July 11, 2018 2:43 AM

Because Jackie paid all her bills when she was alive. She was only brave enough to close the purse after she was dead.

by Anonymousreply 19July 11, 2018 2:44 AM

Lee never forgave Jackie for 'stealing" Ari from her and Jackie never forgave Lee for sleeping with JFK.

by Anonymousreply 20July 11, 2018 2:48 AM

Maybe Jackie thought that Lee had had her shot at having money and that Lee would have wasted it.

by Anonymousreply 21July 11, 2018 3:40 AM

Thanks op. I never get tired of hearing stories about Jackie and Lee. Their way more interesting than the Kardashians in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 22July 11, 2018 4:48 AM

They're

by Anonymousreply 23July 11, 2018 5:07 AM

Higher class, privacy-seeking Kardashians.

by Anonymousreply 24July 11, 2018 5:21 AM

After baby Patrick died in August 1963, Jackie went on a cruise on Onassis yacht Christina in the Mediterranean to get some rest and distraction. Lee, who was reported to be Onassis mistress, was also on the cruise. Onassis loved to give his guests expensive parting gifts, usually jewelry for the ladies. Everybody got lavish presents. Jackie got the most expensive piece, a diamond-and-ruby necklace. Lee got three diamond bracelets and complained that she got two "dinky" little bracelets that looked like something Caroline would refuse wear to her birthday party.

by Anonymousreply 25July 11, 2018 6:49 AM

Jackie got a beautiful ruby necklace from Onassis. She allowed costume jewelry designer and New York socialite Kenneth J Lane to make a costume reproduction of it in the 80's and called him and giggled when a replica was worn by in one of the more famous soap operas in the 80's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26July 11, 2018 6:59 AM

Jackie's breathy voice was as fake as Michael Jackson's. She had a normal speaking voice when she wanted to use it.

by Anonymousreply 27July 11, 2018 7:00 AM

Okay, I've read enough Datalounge to know that this is Lee.

Is the Jackie Jackie Earle Haley? I loved his hair in Day of the Locust. Kind of like a curly version of Lee's in that troll movie.

Here's Lee in that movie where Sally Field had to play Daniel Day Lewis' wife. Do you think she had to talk to him off camera? Do you think she told him about Boniva? It's for men too, you know.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28July 11, 2018 7:09 AM

At the auction for Jackie's estate in 1996 French fashion brand Gerard Darel bought a black costume jewelry two strand necklace for $101,500. Jackie wore it during the first years in the White House and wore one of the strands when she visited France in 1961. Darel then made copies that have been sold at their stores ever since and has become one of their signature pieces. It's called Jackie and sells for about $200. My mother has one and it's a good piece that she has worn over and over again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29July 11, 2018 7:09 AM

Other than the monetary value, Ari gave Jackie some hideous jewelry. No wonder she never wore most of it, even when he was alive.

by Anonymousreply 30July 11, 2018 7:13 AM

Jackie wearing the necklace while talking to General de Gaulle in France.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31July 11, 2018 7:14 AM

Jackie may have been a gold digger, but at least she always looked fabulous- even in jeans. And she knew how to entertain, at least in the White House.

by Anonymousreply 32July 11, 2018 7:18 AM

Lee's bedroom in her apartment in New York. The print is Colefax and Fowler Fuchsia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 11, 2018 7:19 AM

Tory Burch's bedroom in her house in Southampton. Even the painted floors and oddly placed chair next to the bed is there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34July 11, 2018 7:22 AM

Better photo of Lee's bedroom:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35July 11, 2018 7:23 AM

Tory Burch also bought the Antigua estate from Bunny Mellon, one of Jackies best friends who helped her decorate the White House and also designed the garden there.

by Anonymousreply 36July 11, 2018 7:28 AM

The poster known as charlie, or St Barb's Wart, used to sell hankies to Jackie from his cart in Grand Central. He once saw JFK Jr. on his way to the gym. charlie also blew Andy Warhol but he didn't get into the movies.

Lee said to him when he approached her to buy a hankie - "get that dirty little fag away from me." Charlie still remembers her perfume and radiance fondly. He speaks of it every night here on DL, 50 years later.

by Anonymousreply 37July 11, 2018 7:44 AM

Jackie's favourite perfume was Krigler 55 Lovely Patchouli. It's a perfume house from NY and she got the first bottle as a gift from Onassis. Has anybody tried it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38July 11, 2018 7:52 AM

Jackie's favorite perfume was Joy. She did use the Krigler.

by Anonymousreply 39July 11, 2018 9:11 AM

Patchouli stinks.

Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 40July 11, 2018 9:40 AM

r37- ignored.

Charlie contributes, you detract.

by Anonymousreply 41July 11, 2018 11:42 AM

I too would love to hear if Charlie ever had any interaction with Lee or Jackie or any of the Kennedy clan.

by Anonymousreply 42July 11, 2018 1:32 PM

the radiance known as Jackie o is not in the amateur league of that other sister, the Lee, and will never be, miss lee will merely be a footnote in the history of whores.

by Anonymousreply 43July 11, 2018 1:43 PM

^^^^ wonderful story in vanity fair u posted sir, much thx. I do hope more of her friends come forward with fun storys bout her, what a fascinating broad...child of an alcoholic, that says it all.... 'pains hidden carefully,,,,'

by Anonymousreply 44July 11, 2018 2:07 PM

R27 most of the Jackson brothers speak with breathy high pitched voices.

R41 Charlie is an asshole who once worked in retail.

by Anonymousreply 45July 11, 2018 3:45 PM

Don’t think Jackie “stole” Ari, he was never Lee's to begin with. From L'Amour est affaire de Femmes, by Nadine de Rothschild, very rough.y translated, I have only high school French:

“Onassis knew how to wait. He had previously invited Jackie for the first time on his yacht in 1963. She had just lost her first son Patrick, who died shortly after his birth, and wished to recover. Betrayed by her husband, Jackie wanted to escape a life that had made her suffer. Her sister Lee served as intermediary. The two sisters were four years apart. Lee had married a polish prince, Stanislaw Radziwill. “Stas,” as he was known, had been married twice before and had made his fortune in London. He was a generous man with women, but drank copiously.

“Once Onassis met Jackie, he stayed close to her. Letters, telephone calls, gifts for the children. Five years later, he married her. John Kennedy was the prototype of beautiful man. Aristotle Onassis was his opposite: a macho seducteur virile and bon vivant, a little too neglige in my opinion, something-something avec cette sort d'elegance fripee qui etait egalement l'apanage du prince Ali Khan et qui faisait merveille aupres des femmes rafinees, tirees a quatre epingles. Doubtless an attraction of opposites.

“When a man covers you with gifts, spends millions on you, puts his jets at your disposal to for shopping trips to Paris or London, it's hard to ignore. Jackie had been the President's wife, but that did not make her rich, she had no money, no jewels worth the name; she had known glory, but nothing belonged to her. She had lived in the White House, and now suddenly someone was offering to buy it for her!”

Or words to that effet.

by Anonymousreply 46July 11, 2018 4:05 PM

John Kennedy was ugly...on what planet is he considered to be beautiful? Those bug eyes and concentration camp physique didn’t do him any favors...

by Anonymousreply 47July 11, 2018 4:09 PM

“When a man covers you with gifts, spends millions on you, puts his jets at your disposal to for shopping trips to Paris or London, it's hard to ignore."

I agree.

by Anonymousreply 48July 11, 2018 5:21 PM

Charlie contributes to your comfort here Della. Y'all a bunch of old fat bitches inhaling the fumes of better days. Not real life better days, just the regurgitation of others on Datalounge. Get off the couch Della. You're grossly overweight. Jackie and Lee and Angie and George + fine butter on a cracker have done nothing good for you. Pleasant peasantry is all you've shared with "well connected" charlie. He broke his foot dropping antiquated names of obsolete importance. Charlie is a special kind of fool. He doesn't know how pathetic he is. So dude is happy with his tight pretentions and (by his standards) unsuccessful life. You can do better Della, but you best do it soon.

Take your pills old people before you reminisce about Barbra or Jackie. It's too emotional.

by Anonymousreply 49July 12, 2018 3:16 AM

Who are these people^

by Anonymousreply 50July 12, 2018 5:32 AM

Nobody worth carrying about.

by Anonymousreply 51July 12, 2018 7:14 AM

we cum for fun and the above negative cunt pisses on our parade

GREASE FIRE ASAP

by Anonymousreply 52July 12, 2018 7:25 AM

R50 and R51 They're historical figures and people who will be talked about for centuries to come.

That's who they are.

by Anonymousreply 53July 14, 2018 4:06 AM

why does anyone care about these ancient and dusty ho-crows?

aren't they and Melania just about the same?

radziwill had atrocious decorating sense. all that floral shit gives me the vapors. so don't come at me about how "stylish" and tasteful they were.

by Anonymousreply 54July 14, 2018 4:12 AM

Lee & Jackie at the beach on Skorpios in happier times.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55July 14, 2018 4:12 AM

R49, I sat on your comment for two days and had forgotten about it until I came back. Fuck off cunt!!!!! Who the fuck do you think you are??? Charlie and Della have been here since forever. They’ve helped make this place what it is, and losers like you are what waters it down. You’re a fucking loser who couldn’t stand up to anyone’s face in REAL LIFE because you smell and you’re ugly. But your greatest sin is your lack of intelligence and wit. You added nothing to a fun thread, so go fuck yourself to hell and back, and if you want to fight, you can fight with me you fucking pussy, leave Della and Charlie the fuck out of it.

by Anonymousreply 56July 14, 2018 4:14 AM

R56 LOL. You tell them!

by Anonymousreply 57July 14, 2018 4:24 AM

I tried, thank you very much. What assholes, I despise bullies.

by Anonymousreply 58July 14, 2018 4:29 AM

Princess Lee with Truman Capote at the Black and White Ball.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59July 14, 2018 4:37 AM

To find an online copy of Lee's performance in Laura is still the holly grail of internet video. I hear she killed it. Not in a good way. Supposedly one of the worst movies ever made. The portrait makes it look like Grandma Laura.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60July 14, 2018 4:43 AM

Will you still be talking about us in 2068?

by Anonymousreply 61July 14, 2018 4:51 AM

anyone find that copy of laura? o god I hope so

by Anonymousreply 62July 14, 2018 6:21 AM

Apparently the Paley Center in LA has a copy r62. I’m dying to see it too. Once upon a time I saw a super short clip of it, but I can’t even find that anymore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63July 14, 2018 10:30 AM

r56 and r58 - Thank you.

"What the hell? Simon Baker?" - at first glance at man Radziwell embracing at r60.

by Anonymousreply 64July 14, 2018 12:12 PM

R55 made me cackle. Well done, sir. (Or madam. But probably sir.)

by Anonymousreply 65July 14, 2018 1:29 PM

Surprised to read that Maurice Tempelsman is still alive 24 years after Jackie's death. I always thought he was older than her but they were born the same year - 1929. Wonder if he's had any contact with Caroline in years. I think he was at JFK Jr.'s wedding.

by Anonymousreply 66July 14, 2018 1:38 PM

That is crazy he’s still alive r66. I thought he was older than Jackie just like you did.

by Anonymousreply 67July 14, 2018 1:43 PM

I've always known tempelsman was still alive.

Cancer is what took Jackie. If not for that, she'd probably still be alive today too.

I wonder what she would think of this Kardashian-Jenner celebrity obsessed reality tv social media age we're living in now.

And would she be more open to the public now. And would she be speaking out against trump and what's happening to the country.

I wonder about all of that.

by Anonymousreply 68July 14, 2018 3:49 PM

and now it's a Trump thread.

by Anonymousreply 69July 14, 2018 6:00 PM

Any gossip about Caroline Kennedy and Edward Schlossberg? I read that Jackie never liked him.

by Anonymousreply 70July 18, 2018 1:40 PM

😂 at Jackie’s massive gunboats in r6 s photo. Damn, that bitch had big assed feet’s.

by Anonymousreply 71July 18, 2018 1:46 PM

Maurice Tempelsman as her final partner says it all. He was all about making her money and ensuring she was treated like a queen. A more tolerant and less demanding version of Ari. Ugly overweight - but Maurice was much classier in an imitation way (which tends to be more extreme than with those to whom it comes naturally)

by Anonymousreply 72July 18, 2018 2:47 PM

Did he have Ari's schlong though?

by Anonymousreply 73July 18, 2018 11:14 PM

Jackie was supremely overrated. Odd looking, snobbish, hands and feet like Joe Namath, greedy, self serving...the gold plating rubbed off on this piece of brass even before she croaked. And I’m convinced that AIDS killed her.

by Anonymousreply 74July 19, 2018 4:01 PM

I watched That Summer, the sort of sequel to Grey Gardens and Lee came across as... Kris Kardashianesque, trying to get some interesting footage out of the Beales.

by Anonymousreply 75July 19, 2018 5:15 PM

Maurice was and is a kind, fun, cultured, and witty man. He and Jackie adored each other. To those who actually knew them, they were a devoted and loving couple.

by Anonymousreply 76July 19, 2018 5:24 PM

Jackie wasn't greedy for the sake of being greedy. Her greed was about financial security.

Lee's greed was about living a Kardashian lifestyle. And being able to buy and have a lot of stuff. It was all about luxury and materialIsm for Lee.

Jackie wanted to be able to provide a nice life for her children.

All greed is not the same.

by Anonymousreply 77July 20, 2018 4:12 AM

I agree R77, but do you have to reference the Kardashians? They aren't worthy of a pimple on Lee's broke ass. She had style, even if she was a gold digging cunt.

by Anonymousreply 78July 20, 2018 4:49 AM

Nah, r78. She was a bitchy, trashy slut.

by Anonymousreply 79July 20, 2018 5:08 AM

Lee still had style, if nothing else.

by Anonymousreply 80July 20, 2018 5:21 AM

I love Lee’s face, although Jackie’s coloring was great.

by Anonymousreply 81July 20, 2018 12:42 PM

R78 It's true though. Lee was after a Kardashian lifestyle. And Jackie married Onassis looking for extreme financial security for her children and herself. Because what the Kennedys we're providing for her wasn't enough to cover the lifestyle she wanted.

Lee on the other hand was out for as much money as possible to fund a glamorous jet-set socialite lifestyle of materialism, dinner parties, shopping, chauffeured driven vehicles, luxury high-end goods etc.

Jackie too. But I think that's really more so what Lee was probably after more.

by Anonymousreply 82July 20, 2018 11:04 PM

R75, where did you see it? Had no idea this film existed (where have I been? I’m a Grey Gardens fan!) and glad you mentioned it.

by Anonymousreply 83July 21, 2018 1:56 AM

id love to meet mr templesman. he seems so kool and smart. he is very nice man I think. hope to hear from u Maurice.....

by Anonymousreply 84July 21, 2018 5:37 AM

Fuck That Summer. I want to see Laura.

by Anonymousreply 85July 21, 2018 5:42 AM

Lee and Peter Beard will be doing a Q&A at the palay center about "That Summer" so you can ask her about Laura then.

Have fun!

by Anonymousreply 86July 22, 2018 3:32 AM

Thank you for taking question Princess Lee. Could you tell me whose idea it was to make that shitfest remake of Laura? Weren't you at least 20 years too old? Did you really think you were as captivating as Gene Tierney?

by Anonymousreply 87July 22, 2018 4:03 AM

She was so bad, it was like the Anne Frank play joke. She's in the closet!!

by Anonymousreply 88July 22, 2018 4:15 AM

Bumping for more gossip, please!

by Anonymousreply 89August 1, 2018 8:03 AM

She said (or borrowed) The first time you marry is for love, the second for money, and the third for companionship.

Works for me.

by Anonymousreply 90August 1, 2018 8:14 AM

Nobody requested this and there is nothing fresh here, but carry one since you seem to enjoy it.

by Anonymousreply 91August 1, 2018 9:34 AM

Jackie and Lee's mother, Janet Lee Bouvier Auchincloss, was an ice-cold bitch who was disliked by pretty much everyone. Jackie and Lee always had a difficult relationship with her, but to their credit they both took care of the old bitch in her later years when she was suffering from Alzheimer's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92August 1, 2018 11:40 AM

Currently reading the new biography on Janet, Jackie and Lee. Seems Janet and Black Jack really tore up the sheets with their sexual marathons. Even during frequent marital separations, they would still hook up. Janet was insatiable.

by Anonymousreply 93August 1, 2018 11:56 AM

Got a light?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94August 1, 2018 11:57 AM

R83 You can rent it on Amazon. It is rather high, more than $6.00 but might be worth it looking at the reviews. And sorry, that last quote was (supposedly) attributed to Jackie.

by Anonymousreply 95August 1, 2018 1:33 PM

Speaking of Patchouli- let's not forget that Janis Joplin used it by the gallon.

by Anonymousreply 96August 1, 2018 2:01 PM

R5. It's a dump. What a dump! Great view of the migrants though.

by Anonymousreply 97August 1, 2018 3:44 PM

Lee's problem? She's plain.

by Anonymousreply 98August 1, 2018 7:49 PM

Lee seemed to have been the fun one.

by Anonymousreply 99August 2, 2018 12:09 AM

I wonder if Lee and Caroline still have a relationship these days.

by Anonymousreply 100August 2, 2018 12:10 AM

R92ms photo shows a textbook example of Raging Bitchface.

by Anonymousreply 101August 3, 2018 1:17 AM

R5 : I ADORE that apartment!

by Anonymousreply 102August 3, 2018 1:24 AM

I know a Lee Radziwill story. I knew a (straight) French physical therapist in Lausanne at the old Hopital Nestle. Roger. One day he came to see me all excited. I was the only American he knew. He told me Jackie Kennedy's sister wanted to have sex with him. He said "elle m'a dit qu'elle avait un rhume mais si elle n'etait pas enrhumee, elle me baiserait". I had to break it to him that Americans get taught 'baiser' means to kiss (which made more sense as she said she had a cold) rather than to fuck. Roger left the hospital and moved to Africa to work for Mobutu as his personal physical therapist. I wonder if he survived.

Both sisters hung out frequently in Lausanne. Onassis owned the Lausanne Palace hotel back then. I saw Jackie once. She had on big sunglasses and her hair dyed dark red.

by Anonymousreply 103August 3, 2018 1:43 AM

lee was disliked so very much, her cold $ grubbing way of life was a bummer to all around her. Jackie could not stand her.

by Anonymousreply 104August 3, 2018 5:06 AM

And yet Jackie made sure she walked away from the Onassis estate with a cool $26 million dollar cash settlement from her then dead husband's daughter Christina.

Wealth, luxury and security was paramount to both Lee and Jackie. That's all either one of them ever knew. So Lee had it honestly.

They both learned from their mother who was the exact same way. Wealth and status was paramount in their world. Especially during the era they came up in.

As they say today, it's all about securing that bag$$$$$$.

by Anonymousreply 105August 3, 2018 6:06 AM

Jackie at least had some concern for culture and shared history. Her work in historical preservation is especially remarkable for a woman in that era. Lee was a common materialist with no discernible talents or interests outside of money.

by Anonymousreply 106August 3, 2018 6:23 AM

Jackie lost her virginity in a Paris elevator . . .

"John Husted was a nice-enough gentleman, but it was clear that there was no real attraction for Jackie. However, Janet had heard that he was successful and believed him to have money; she was certain Jackie would learn to love him in time. Jackie had already experienced real passion with a man, though, a year earlier when she was in France. She had a one-night stand with John P. Marquand Jr.—everyone called him Jack—son of the famous writer John P. Marquand Sr. The two had quick sex in an elevator. It wasn’t exactly romantic, but it was exciting. It took her months to get over it, though, not sure how she should feel about it, whether or not it had compromised her morality since she’d been a virgin. In the end, she decided it had been good experience and that she wanted to feel that way again one day, only with the added element of true love. She also decided not to tell anyone about it, not even her sister, Lee. During the girls’ most recent trip to Europe, though, Jackie had wanted to see Marquand again. She then confided in Lee about him and the sexual interlude they’d had, swearing her to secrecy. Lee promised to keep her confidence. Much to Jackie’s dismay, though, Lee then turned right around and told Janet all about it by transcontinental phone call. Why? Because Lee had information Janet didn’t have, and she decided to use it to curry favor. It worked. On that day, anyway, Lee was definitely Janet’s favorite. Though Lee apologized, Jackie was heartbroken. “But we had a deal!” she reportedly exclaimed. “We had a deal!” It would take her some time to get over the betrayal, though in a strange way she seemed to understand it. She would never have done the same thing to her sister, but she certainly knew what it was like to want to win points with “Mummy.”"

by Anonymousreply 107August 3, 2018 9:13 AM

Jackie always outshined Lee. Fortunately for Lee, she's shitting herself and has dementia so she remembers nothing. Even Laura.

by Anonymousreply 108August 3, 2018 9:27 AM

That 1968 ABC production of "Laura" was one of my artistic triumphs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109August 3, 2018 9:36 AM

The Radziwill/Herbert Ross marriage turned into a shitshow pretty quickly, and there were lots of stories (including but not limited to Lee's atrocious behavior on the set of Steel Magnolias). Anyone remember the details?

by Anonymousreply 110August 4, 2018 10:26 PM

Lee likely couldn’t stand being usurped as the ingenue by Julia Roberts.

by Anonymousreply 111August 4, 2018 10:37 PM

Jackie reminds me a bit of my own mother. Not classically drop-dead beautiful, but beautiful in that sort of cat-like je ne sais quoi that some women have. Sexy, but not too sexy. Mysterious. Perhaps a beauty mark or a small space between the two front teeth, or something else just slightly quirky or off-balance but that makes her that much more alluring. Good legs.

by Anonymousreply 112August 4, 2018 10:42 PM

They weren't married when Steel Magnolias was filming R110.

by Anonymousreply 113August 4, 2018 10:45 PM

They had to sell the hamptons house to give Lee a decent cash settlement didn't they?

by Anonymousreply 114August 4, 2018 10:58 PM

Married or not, they were together, R113, and she was on the scene. His friends said at the time of his death that their marriage and divorce probably hastened it.

by Anonymousreply 115August 4, 2018 11:03 PM

R110, all I remember is Lee's disgraceful behavior at the Royal Command Performance / London premiere of Steel Magnolias. The story was discussed on DL, linked below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116August 4, 2018 11:22 PM

That's the story I was thinking of. Thanks, R110.

by Anonymousreply 117August 4, 2018 11:27 PM

Er, thanks, R116.

by Anonymousreply 118August 4, 2018 11:27 PM

Jackie had language in her will that she had been very generous to Lee during her lifetime, thus no inheritance. She left a million each to Lee s children. The mother was a vicious child abuser and Jackie never left her kids alone with her except the night JFK was murdered. In Jackie s era the only way to pull yourself up and make a success was by marrying $......... Onassis had about 500 million when he died and Jackie only got $25 million so she was not all that much of a money grubber. Maurice increased her net worth by about 10 fold over the years.

by Anonymousreply 119August 4, 2018 11:53 PM

Ha! Jackie may have gotten "only" $25 million, but how much in jewels and art? And buying clothes, never wearing them and reselling for cash.

by Anonymousreply 120August 5, 2018 12:59 AM

R119 Actually, she left Lee's kids 500k each. I only know this as I read her will earlier today. Interesting read.

by Anonymousreply 121August 5, 2018 1:41 AM

R119 Onasis planned to divorce Jackie and he changed his will. Jackie contested and Christina gave her 25 million to go away. Jackie spent an estimated 1.5 million the first yr of their marriage. She wasn’t just concerned about “security”. She was concerned about securing the lavish and luxurious lifestyle to which she was accustomed.

by Anonymousreply 122August 9, 2018 2:16 AM

R103 do you still live in Lausanne? Onassis built the hideous top floor on the Palace, right? The one where Samaranch later ruled as pacha?

by Anonymousreply 123August 9, 2018 2:19 AM

R112 WTF! Not ole banjo legs Jaqueleeeen rhymes with queen.

by Anonymousreply 124August 9, 2018 2:22 AM

I wouldn't be acting too grand Ethel, you dated a fag for years! And I married one.

by Anonymousreply 125August 9, 2018 4:05 PM

Who did Ethel date?

by Anonymousreply 126August 9, 2018 4:21 PM

Andy Williams was a mo?

by Anonymousreply 127August 9, 2018 4:40 PM

Yes, Andy was gay. As my friend who knew both said, "You think he's dating her for the hot sex?"

by Anonymousreply 128August 9, 2018 4:45 PM

Well, I don't know. He and Kay Thompson were lovers for close to 15 years, and she was no great beauty; is Ethel so much of a stretch?

by Anonymousreply 129August 9, 2018 4:52 PM

Andy was gay. End of story.

by Anonymousreply 130August 9, 2018 5:13 PM

Don't doubt it for a minute. But I guess it wasn't a simple story: he was a gay man with two documented marriages (the murderess and a second marriage that lasted over 10 years) and a documented affair with Thompson.

by Anonymousreply 131August 9, 2018 5:20 PM

Jackie actually received a settlement of $26 million dollars from Christina. Not $25 million.

by Anonymousreply 132August 10, 2018 12:47 AM

I always assumed that the reason Jackie didn't leave anything to Lee was because she's already set her up financially. ".........already done so during my life time." I never interpreted that to mean she'd cut her out completely.

by Anonymousreply 133August 11, 2018 12:32 AM

Lee got to fuck Peter Beard in his prime.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134August 11, 2018 2:15 AM

Lee has those Billy Baldwin chairs in her living room in that Paris apartment.

by Anonymousreply 135August 11, 2018 2:27 AM

Loving this thread, and the one linked at r116.

Arnie Hammer reminds me of Peter Beard. Wealthy and impossibly handsome.

by Anonymousreply 136August 11, 2018 12:41 PM

SECOND: A. I have made no provision in this my Will for my sister, Lee B. Radziwill, for whom I have great affection because I have already done so during my lifetime. I do wish, however, to remember her children and, thus, I direct my Executors to set aside the amount of Five Hundred Thousand Dollars ($500,000) for each child surviving me of my sister, Lee B. Radziwill, and I give and bequeath the sum so set aside to the Trustees hereinafter named, IN TRUST, NEVERTHELESS, to hold the same, and to manage, invest and reinvest the same, to collect the income thereof and to dispose of the net income and principal

by Anonymousreply 137August 11, 2018 1:23 PM

Lee's first name was actually Caroline, born Caroline Lee Bouvier.

by Anonymousreply 138August 11, 2018 6:49 PM

R126, Ethel also dated Frank Gifford, when he was hot as fuck, pre-Kathie Lee. They later shared grandchildren when his daughter married her rapist son.

by Anonymousreply 139August 11, 2018 7:01 PM

These people lived interesting lives from beginning to end. Even though Lee is still alive.

by Anonymousreply 140August 12, 2018 6:13 PM

Jackie wasn’t anything more than a courtesan...horrible ugly greedy woman who used smoke and mirrors to convince the public otherwise. I also think that she knew JFK was gonna die.

by Anonymousreply 141August 12, 2018 10:25 PM

I knew Jackie Onassis in the 80's and she certainly was not horrible or ugly. Greedy? I don't know, perhaps she had gotten hers and had relaxed about that. She had a fairly cool and neutral vibe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142August 12, 2018 10:46 PM

Tell us more R142.

by Anonymousreply 143August 13, 2018 8:02 PM

Fund-raising, R143. Onassis helped with the cultivation of potential donors and would sometimes socialize and host donors as part of the reward for giving. Jackie didn't have to give her own money (although she did) - she could shake the money tree and the cash would fall out.

by Anonymousreply 144August 13, 2018 11:22 PM

At this public appearance two months prior to her death, Jackie did not seem at all ill.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145August 13, 2018 11:35 PM

R141= Miss Cleo

by Anonymousreply 146August 14, 2018 1:55 AM

I'd like to see some kind of documentary on Jackie, Lee, and Janet. Their all historical figures and the history channel needs to start making good programing again.

I think that would be an interesting program to put on. It could be like the "men who built America" series.

The history channel really needs to get it together. Their slacking big time.

by Anonymousreply 147August 14, 2018 4:34 AM

May I gingerly suggest "they are = they're"

by Anonymousreply 148August 14, 2018 4:36 AM

^OH DEAR!

by Anonymousreply 149August 14, 2018 8:13 PM

"At this public appearance two months prior to her death, Jackie did not seem at all ill."

Does the name Hillary Clinton Angel of Death ring a bell R145 ?

by Anonymousreply 150August 15, 2018 1:23 AM

Just saw the Jackie episode of The Crown and it seemed like the biggest load of bullshit of all time. They couldn't even get her hair correct, and she was one of the most photographed women of all time.

by Anonymousreply 151August 27, 2018 1:43 PM

I looked up Lee's net worth. Not sure accurate it is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152August 27, 2018 2:13 PM

Lee sold off practically everything she owns. She was never worth $50 million.

by Anonymousreply 153August 27, 2018 3:34 PM

At 85, Lee has outlived her parents, all three of her husbands, two sisters, her only son, her brother-in-law and her nephew.

by Anonymousreply 154August 27, 2018 4:22 PM

Two sisters?

by Anonymousreply 155August 27, 2018 4:37 PM

Lee and Jackie had two half-siblings from their mother.

by Anonymousreply 156August 27, 2018 4:40 PM

^Janet Jennings Auchincloss Rutherford died young at 38. She and her husband lived in great and affordable luxury in Hong Kong for years. The smog/air pollution is what is thought to have gotten to her. I believe it was lung cancer.

by Anonymousreply 157August 27, 2018 7:48 PM

Janet, Jr

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158August 27, 2018 10:57 PM

Caption this photo, please

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159August 27, 2018 11:10 PM

I'm sure Lee still has money. If not maybe caroline takes care of everything for her. She has $500 million dollars after all according to tax filings from 2013.

by Anonymousreply 160August 28, 2018 3:58 AM

As I previously posted, Lee sold off most of her good things over the years. Her current place in Paris (if she hasn't sold it) had one set of nice art. She's lucky she has the good taste to make nothing look like a million bucks.

by Anonymousreply 161August 28, 2018 4:06 AM

R161 Lee put that Paris apartment on the market last year for $3 million dollars.

I don't think it's sold yet.

by Anonymousreply 162August 28, 2018 4:11 AM

I'm sure Caroline helps Lee out. Caroline is loaded, and Lee is her only living close relative on her mother's side of the family. I don't think Caroline has ever bothered much with her Bouvier cousins.

by Anonymousreply 163August 28, 2018 4:21 AM

Jackie's half-sister Janet left several children behind to whom Jackie was very close and she remembered them in her will.

by Anonymousreply 164August 28, 2018 4:58 AM

R158, Jackie always hanging with old dudes

by Anonymousreply 165August 28, 2018 1:03 PM

There the ones with big $$$$$$. That's what she was after.

by Anonymousreply 166August 28, 2018 5:46 PM

There the ones . . .

by Anonymousreply 167August 28, 2018 10:36 PM

still wondering, what the hell's a Prince Radziwill?

by Anonymousreply 168August 28, 2018 11:12 PM

R168, Surely a child of the Greater German Reich would know a Radziwiłł. That family tree had numerous branches in Prussian royal houses. Princess Louise of Prussia, for instance, married Duke Antoni Radziwiłł, and entertained guests at their Palais Radziwiłł in Berlin.

Interestingly enough, Princess Lee Bouvier Radziwill's first husband, Michael Canfield, was alleged to have been the illegitimate son of Prince George, Duke of Kent, father of Prince Michael of Kent.

by Anonymousreply 169August 29, 2018 3:13 AM

Did Caroline ever get to taste Aunt Lee's boyfriend, hunky Peter Beard?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170August 29, 2018 3:14 AM

I believe Kaiser Wilhelm I wanted to marry a Radziwill princess. It was a pure love marriage and I believe she was willing to convert to Lutheranism, but she wasn’t considered high enough rank to marry Prussian royalty. The Radziwills are, of course, a ‘princely’ family and not a ‘royal’ one.

by Anonymousreply 171August 29, 2018 3:46 AM

and that kind of fascinates me R171. What the hell is a Princely family, not a Royal family? royalty never ever marries princes? really.

by Anonymousreply 172August 29, 2018 3:48 AM

It’s complicated but yes, it’s a thing. Princely families bear the style His/Her Serene Highness. The current ruling families of Monaco and Liechtenstein are HSHs. Princely families ruled principalities, but were usually vassals to the Holy Roman Emperor. Royal families use His/Her Royal Highness. In the old days many families had house laws that forbade marriages to people of lower rank, else lose inheritance. To prevent morganatic marriages royals married royals. Some Houses didn’t believe in this, such as Queen Victoria. She gladly let her grandson marry an HSH, who eventually became Queen Mary.

by Anonymousreply 173August 29, 2018 3:57 AM

But R173, why is she Princess Michael, when everyone else gets to be Princess Her name, like say, Princess Diana? That's what I really, really need to know. And DON'T tell me nobody ever marries UP, cause we all know they do.

by Anonymousreply 174August 29, 2018 4:02 AM

There was no “Princess Diana”, R174. There was a Princess of Wales who was styled as “Diana, Princess of Wales” after her divorce.

Just as there are no “Duchess Kate” or “Duchess Meghan” or “Sophie Wessex”.

Princess Michael is styled as such because she married Prince Michael and, as she was not a princess by birth (just a Baroness) she took his name.

The only exception to this rule in the British royal family was Lady Alice Montagu Douglas Scott who married Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester - the uncle of the present queen. After his death she would normally have been styled as “The Dowager Duchess of Gloucester”. Alice didn’t like this and asked for and was given permission by Her Majesty to be styled “Princess Alice Duchess of Gloucester”.

by Anonymousreply 175August 29, 2018 4:13 AM

Oh, and R174 - the word is “because”, not “cause”.

by Anonymousreply 176August 29, 2018 4:15 AM

yikes, you are VERY angry about this R176. Still, I do appreciate the lesson.

by Anonymousreply 177August 29, 2018 4:17 AM

Royal families descend from kings and queen regnants. Imperial families descend from emperors and empresses. Princely families descend from reigning princes. In the days of yore, European kings and emperors were crowned by the Pope, which gave the coronation an air of legitimacy in the eyes of God, thus solidifying the notion of the divine right of kings. Their descendants, therefore, were blessed with royal blood coursing through their veins, and thus were treated as a rare, elite class. Princes weren't crowned by the Pope, and therefore, they and their descendants were only special based on rank and privilege, but not as divinely annointed.

by Anonymousreply 178August 29, 2018 4:21 AM

thank you. r178

by Anonymousreply 179August 29, 2018 4:28 AM

Not VERY angry, R177 - but “cause” for “because” (or even worse - “cos”) is one of those misuses of the English language that are becoming more prevalent and which do set me off.

by Anonymousreply 180August 29, 2018 5:30 AM

The whole concept of "Royalty" is pure bull shit. There's no such thing as a special devine group of elite blue blooded minority of people with so called "royal blood." It's all bull shit a mms d has been from day one.

So called "Royalty" is nothing but glorified society people at best. They're no different or better than other wealthy socialites like kim kardashian and paris hilton.

They're all the same in my opinion. They add no value to society period. Lives of hedonism from birth to the grave.

by Anonymousreply 181August 29, 2018 6:43 AM

You’re not very bright, are you, R181?

by Anonymousreply 182August 29, 2018 6:51 AM

Royalty is trash. You can suck their asses but I won't.

So please fuck off R182.

by Anonymousreply 183August 29, 2018 6:55 AM

These people are no different than Marie chantal and her husband's family. Fake greece royalty with titles that means nothing at all.

All they have is a lot of money thanks to marie chantals wealthy billionaire father.

Other than that. They're just wealthy socialites nothing more.

by Anonymousreply 184August 29, 2018 6:09 PM

I love how Lee is holding her hand as if there's a cigarette in it, but there isn't.

Did she always have that voice?

I think her face was more elegant and refined than Jackie's, but I also think Jackie was probably easier to deal with. The personal maid, employee who wrote a book about her experience working for Jackie absolutely adored her - apparently she was easy, had a good sense of humor, etc.

But the sexual shenanagins of that family. Without coming out and saying anything TOO much, the maid indicates that Bobby Kennedy and Jackie were much more similar than Bobby and Ethel, and "extremely close." I read a story years ago that Lee at one point slept with JFK (while JFK was married to Jackie) and Jackie of course slept with and married Onassis after her sister had had a relationship with him. It's all so sordid, even more so because in their circles it's not supposed to be a big deal. Oh my God, emotions. Drama. No no no. That stuff is just silly. So it eats these women (and men, I presume) up inside and they become first class neurotics.

What Truman did - tell stories out of school - was considered much much worse. He was their "pet", and it was like being bitten by the family pet.

by Anonymousreply 185August 29, 2018 6:50 PM

Jackie - I think that beyond all the superficial, surface shit discussed on DL and in general - beyond all that, there was depth there, extraordinary depth even

Nice though short clip I just ran into on YT. She's voting in 1972. "Be careful!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186August 29, 2018 10:33 PM

Fascinating how after she votes she goes and gets lost in NYC by herself.

And in crazy gritty 1970s NY no less.

by Anonymousreply 187August 29, 2018 11:50 PM

I never "knew" Jackie Onassis but I saw her out and about in New York more than once (at the Public Theatre, at a movie theatre) where she looked exactly like Jackie Onassis, seemed tall with an enormous head, and certainly understood how to carry on a conversation with her companion seemingly oblivious to the fact that everyone was staring at her. She had a good reputation, for what that's worth, which usually means tips well, pays the people she works for, is a good employer both in her home and at that editor's gig she had. How she behaved in her personal life I have no idea. Supposedly was competitive with Lee when she was in the White House - telling designers she wanted to see "things" before her sister saw them, and there's that anecdote someone told about how Jackie just dropped a gold cigarette lighter (that did not belong to her, but belonged to the host's late grandmother or something) right into her purse. The host didn't know what to do and finally said "Has anyone seen that gold lighter" without Jackie batting an eye.

by Anonymousreply 188August 30, 2018 1:13 AM

They were both accomplished whores with the right accents. Most of those ultra rich women are in some way shape or form. Looking at you, Trump wives one through three.

by Anonymousreply 189August 30, 2018 2:04 AM

Interesting clip above. Reminds me that I could never live in the city. Yuck.

by Anonymousreply 190August 30, 2018 1:00 PM

I like how Jackie went and voted by herself, standing in line with all the common slobs. That was nice. She certainly didn't have to do that, she could've done an absentee ballot.

by Anonymousreply 191August 30, 2018 11:51 PM

Merrywood. McLean, VA

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192August 31, 2018 3:30 PM

You fuckers! I'm about 35 minutes into the eight hour long recording of successive interviews with A Schlessinger, and I can clearly hear that it's HIM who is clinking the glass with ice. Not saying that she wasn't drinking herself, BUT I just heard the clinking ice and the setting down of a glass AGAIN as I type while she is talking. It's SCHLESSINGER doing all the heavy drinking, though I'm sure she was also throwing some back - I hear it now. So fucking what?!! If you're a drinker/smoker, then you drink/smoke while in the midst of conversation. You fuckers!

Haters gotta hate.

by Anonymousreply 193August 31, 2018 3:59 PM

The Greek Royals are completely useless. Prince Pavlov’s was a hottie in his youth, but he is dumber than a box of hair. The Belgian Royals are the most depraved...the king was planning on transitioning before he was forced to accept his title and find a wife to marry him. Their fortune is built on the blood and severed limbs of the Congolese people. 🐷

by Anonymousreply 194August 31, 2018 4:11 PM

^R194 is obviously stumbling around in the dark. Here's a candle, R194. Light it. Don't fuck it.

by Anonymousreply 195August 31, 2018 4:13 PM

King Philippe didn’t have his title forced on him. He was Duke of Brabant (heir to the throne) for many years, since the death of his uncle King Baudoin made Philippe’s father the new king. I doubt he was going to put that duty aside in order to transition. Maybe in the future if he abdicates in favor of his daughter Princess Elisabeth (Duchess of Brabant) maybe he could, but it’s a Catholic country so I don’t know how that would play. Monarchy is on shaky ground in Belgium anyway.

by Anonymousreply 196August 31, 2018 5:00 PM

Janet Auchincloss' father, James T Lee, leaves an interesting NYC legacy behind him. Columbia Law School graduate, a director of Chase Bank, president of Central Savings Bank in addition to all the residential and business/office buildings he built in NYC. Interesting short read:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197August 31, 2018 9:13 PM

So then why did they end up with basically nothing as far as money goes if he was this prominent man in NYC?

What happened?

by Anonymousreply 198September 1, 2018 1:18 AM

R192, the cupola on Merrywood was added after the estate was sold. The Auchinclosses were not that pretentious or tacky.

by Anonymousreply 199September 1, 2018 1:50 AM

R198, I read in the book "Jackie and Janet" (Not Jackie, Janet, and Lee) that he left his money to his children. Janet got a bit over a million dollars when he died after taxes, and the portion meant for a daughter who had died went to her offspring, his grandchildren - that was the only case where the grandchildren got anything. I think he left behind eight to nine million dollars.

by Anonymousreply 200September 1, 2018 11:36 AM

With all of that money and given the time Jackie and Lee grew up. That money should have really carried them through the years.

No investments? Everything was much cheaper back then. Even living in luxury.

There was no reason for them being cash poor. Someone was must've been fucking some money up on frivolous bull shit.

Invest, invest, invest! And save and in trust your money.

by Anonymousreply 201September 6, 2018 5:15 AM

"Take a loss with (Hugh D) Auchincloss" He was a stock broker.

by Anonymousreply 202September 6, 2018 11:23 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!