Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Lee Radziwell made Julia Roberts cry at the London premiere of Steel Magnolias

On a datalounge recommendation, I purchased 'In Her Sister's Shadow: An intimate Biography of Lee Radziwell'.

There are more hilarious take downs of airhead, bitchy Lee than you can shake a stick at, but this one anecdote was a standout.

Here goes. Consider what a legendary cunt Julia Roberts is. Now consider how cunty you'd have to act like to make that one cry at her own premiere.

Lee Radziwell IS that cunt.

Lee ploughed through her hefty divorce settlements from that Polish minor 'Prince' she married and was broke and looking around for a rich husband in the eighties. She selected gay Herbert Ross, then earning around $2 million a picture.

Ross' friends and the cast of Steel Magnolia's hated Lee. Shirley McLaine did a bitchy impression of her on the set to make the other gals laugh.

At the London premiere, which was a Royal Command Performance, meaning Princess Di and Charles were to attend, Ross was told the score by Columbia Pictures : there's strict protocol, key talent line up in one row, their spouses /plus one's stand behind them in a second row. The same for the seating of the screening: stars, Ross and royalty only in the front row.

Well, Lee was displeased about this, feeling she had the right to a front row place though she had nothing to do with the production at all.

'Now , I was organising this' says Steve Klain, the Columbia Pictures employee in charge of the event. 'and going into this we were told that Lee was very, very difficult and that she wanted to be known as Princess (Lee still hadn't worked out that the Polish title meant nothing, and the marriage that conferred it upon her had long since ended), so she was always 'Radziwell' and never 'Ross' though she was Herbert's wife now. '

Ross refused to stand in the front line, because protocol dictated that Lee was not allowed in that line next to him. 'Herb, you understand this is only for people connected with the production, and Lee will be standing right behind you'. He said 'It's not going to happen'. Klain told Ray Stark, longtime collaborator of Ross and producer of Magnolias. 'That bitch!' he said. Stark had sharp words with Ross, who relented.

The night of the premiere, Lee stood in the second line where she belonged. She and Ross then moved into the theatre, where they were told by Klain 'same deal, Herb up front, Lee you are right behind him'. But Lee made a beeline for the front row and sat herself next to Ross. On her other side was an empty seat, then Prince Charles.

According to Edward Shugrue, president of Tri-Star distribution, the seat next to Charles was for Olympia Dukakis, and the one next to that, occupied by Lee, was for Julia Roberts.

When Columbia executives spotted Lee, they asked her to move. 'She pretended she didn't hear anyone and stared straight ahead and held firm' says Klain. Then Roberts and Dukakis came down the aisle. Julia whispered to Lee that she was sitting in her seat. Lee would not move. Roberts repeated herself, and Lee ignored her. In desperation, Julia sought the assistance of others. Several people came down the aisle and implored Lee to vacate Julia's seat. One of them was Ray Stark, who tapped her on the shoulder and spoke to her softly. Lee still would not move. Never one to mince words, Stark whispered in her ear 'Lee, you are a cunt'.

In the meantime, Charles and Diana kept hearing 'wrong seat!' in spite of the whispering. As a result, Diana got up, and Charles followed. They thought THEY were in the wrong seats. An embarrassing flurry followed as the royal couple tried to relocate. Pandemonium broke about among the Columbia officials. A chain reaction was touched off in the front row with everyone but Lee rising and looking for guidance on where to sit. When it all settled down, stars Roberts and Dukakis were displaced to the second row. Lee eventually got up from Roberts seat - only to sit herself next to Prince Charles in the front row.

Roberts was visibly shaken, with tears welling in her eyes. 'It was shameful. Horrendous.' says Klain.

by Anonymousreply 245February 17, 2019 1:56 PM

Lol fuck her!

by Anonymousreply 1April 4, 2015 11:13 AM

good

by Anonymousreply 2April 4, 2015 11:28 AM

God I LOVE her - (Lee Radziwell, but Julia Roberts is fun too)

She utterly fascinates me for some reason. I guesw because she was the "pretty one" right, but Jackie got all the attention, and she just couldn't take that.

So, OP, the book is good I take it? Love to hear any other stories from it, or even better yet, anyone have personal, real life encounters with the Princess?

Just getting ready for the Easter dinner for tomorrow, and it would be VERY entertaining to hear more.

BTW - LOVE this video of her....

Thanks guys...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3April 4, 2015 11:29 AM

At least Ray Stark read her beads. It's good she had to sit there with that verdict in her earhole.

by Anonymousreply 4April 4, 2015 11:31 AM

Fabulous story OP!

by Anonymousreply 5April 4, 2015 12:05 PM

To spite sister Jackie, Lee slept with both JFK and Onassis, plus she had a major affair with hunky photog Peter Beard, of whom she said had the body of an Adonis.

Her daughter-in-law Carole wrote that Lee was surprisingly doting while son Anthony was dying of cancer.

A male friend of JFK, Jr.'s wrote of Jackie's wake, held in her Fifth Avenue apartment. Lee was one of the last to arrive and was very stiff and bitchy to all present. She must have known that Jackie had omitted her from her will, but she did provide money to Lee's two children.

by Anonymousreply 6April 4, 2015 12:15 PM

I got to know her a bit c. 1980 while working at the overthetop chic men's store Andre Oliver- she was discretely not allowed to have a house account. My principle recollection of her was that she was brittle- Andre said she had a pill problem- I thought she was stupid. Her sister was a gem- funny, smart, nice- treated sales staff and stock room staff the same as she treated Andre or friends she came into the store with. She became my customer- had he private line :) helped her adjust the shoulder pads she would put under her cashmere cables she loved. Took care of her great friend Bunny Mellon too- who was a facinAting woman- also kind to everyone- fun times.

by Anonymousreply 7April 4, 2015 12:43 PM

"Of whom she said had the body of an Adonis"?????

Incidentally, I've known Peter for 22 years, and have seen him dressed in nothing but a towel so skimpy that he had to hold it not quite around him. Fine body, but not great. Married Cheryl Tiegs and (subsequently) the former Miss South Africa.

by Anonymousreply 8April 4, 2015 1:10 PM

Why didn't someone grab Lee by the arm and drag her out of the seat?

by Anonymousreply 9April 4, 2015 1:25 PM

Yes R9, grab her by her skinny arm and snarl "Come on sister".

by Anonymousreply 10April 4, 2015 1:32 PM

Someone needs to ply Carol from Real Housewives of New York with alcohol, and get her to spill all the dirt!

Having been Lee's daughter-in-law, AND a writer, you know that bitch has some stories to tell, that she won't put in her book.

by Anonymousreply 11April 4, 2015 1:37 PM

Well, yeah. Why not?

by Anonymousreply 12April 4, 2015 1:38 PM

Good god charlie. You dine out on your stories for decades, don't you?

by Anonymousreply 13April 4, 2015 1:40 PM

Shirley must have witnessed it . You'd think she would have been the one calling her a cunt. I would have paid to see that. She could have reduced Lee to tears.

I once encountered Lee in a bookstore in NYC. Her head was enormous, her hair seemed thin and there was a miasma of vodka surrounding her.

by Anonymousreply 14April 4, 2015 1:45 PM

Great thread! Thanks, OP!

by Anonymousreply 15April 4, 2015 1:53 PM

I love this story, thanks for sharing!

@charlie Tell more about your clients at Andre Oliver!

by Anonymousreply 16April 4, 2015 1:53 PM

Thanks Charlie. It's great that you share stories of your meet-ups with people that we only know from books and magazine stories. I saw the Radziwells at the next table at a dinner theater production of "South Pacific." The guy playing Emile was a friend from work. Apparently Lee would follow him to the various dinner theaters and community theaters around DC where he was appearing.

by Anonymousreply 17April 4, 2015 2:09 PM

I wish Julia had screamed and rolled around crying on the floor and causing a real scene. Then Lee gets pulled into it and they are pulling off each other wigs like a good ratchet fight. And there is bits of hair and gown material floating around, fingernails and earring with bits of ear still attached on the floor.

by Anonymousreply 18April 4, 2015 2:14 PM

Haha, R18.

And then Sally should have started screaming, "Shelby, drink the juice!!! Drink the juice!!!"

by Anonymousreply 19April 4, 2015 2:32 PM

Crazy 80s Hollywood TRASH

by Anonymousreply 20April 4, 2015 2:38 PM

I think Carole has alluded to the fact Lee did NOT like her at all and does not like her using the Radziwell name.

by Anonymousreply 21April 4, 2015 2:42 PM

Where was I?

by Anonymousreply 22April 4, 2015 2:45 PM

Why didn't Roberts just pretend to have a diabetic seizure?

by Anonymousreply 23April 4, 2015 2:54 PM

Sincere question:

Can someone explain to me why someone like Radziwell would cause such a scene just to sit next to Prince Charles? I mean, she basically has to reduce herself to the world's biggest cunt in front of everywhere just to get the status of being seated next to royalty -- which by the time that happens everyone who might notice now knows she doesn't belong there.

Was she a real housewive before such a thing existed? I really need Lee's thinking and motivation explained to me.

Help!

by Anonymousreply 24April 4, 2015 3:26 PM

Sometimes being a bitch is all a woman has to hang on to.

by Anonymousreply 25April 4, 2015 3:33 PM

Classic charlie post.

by Anonymousreply 26April 4, 2015 3:34 PM

Blue blood mania, R24. Live by it - die by it.

by Anonymousreply 27April 4, 2015 3:37 PM

[quote]At least Ray Stark read her beads.

Better than having him fuck you for a part!

by Anonymousreply 28April 4, 2015 3:41 PM

[quote]Classic charlie post.

I love those.

by Anonymousreply 29April 4, 2015 3:42 PM

Between cunt Lee and cunt Julia, I prefer cunt Lee.

by Anonymousreply 30April 4, 2015 3:47 PM

Julia may not have been quite the cunt she is now at that time. This was her breakthrough role. She may not have been quite so full of herself then.

by Anonymousreply 31April 4, 2015 3:50 PM

In the same way that the Royal Family gives out knighthoods...there should be an official body that gives out the official title of Cunt.

by Anonymousreply 32April 4, 2015 3:51 PM

I like Lee's super skinny cigarettes she smokes. As if everything she contacts has to be bone thin.

As for her behavior: the movie was pure junk, the Royal Family is a nest of reprobates, Diana was murdered, the cast (aside from Dukakis) was lame, Herbert Ross was no director and on and on. Lee was pure entitled punk rock and ran that joint. Fuck them!

by Anonymousreply 33April 4, 2015 3:51 PM

How did she make her cry? I fell asleep after the fourth paragraph.

by Anonymousreply 34April 4, 2015 3:54 PM

And Lee's response to Stark was 'Die in a grease fire.'

by Anonymousreply 35April 4, 2015 3:56 PM

OP, I think it's a little more significant that Lee caused such a commotion as to make Charles and Diana think they were in the wrong seats than making a young Julia Roberts shed a tear or two.

Though Lee was probably the only one who had met Charles previously, and was coasting on memories of past glories when she didn't have to prevail upon friends to get her jobs doing p.r. for fashion designers just so she had a little income.

by Anonymousreply 36April 4, 2015 3:59 PM

Google "Liz Smith" and "Lee Bouvier". Lee is one of Smith's pet hates. Liz never misses a chance to write something really nasty about her. NEVER!

by Anonymousreply 37April 4, 2015 4:01 PM

Lee is America's equivalent Princess Margaret. She was the prettier younger sister, but she was never nice and she was incredibly insecure. When her beauty faded and she became elderly she still clung desperately to insisting on precedence because that was the last thing left to her. And, like Princess Margaret, she basically wasted her life.

I can cry no tears for Julia Roberts, though--she's as much of a snobby cunt as Lee. She deserved it.

by Anonymousreply 38April 4, 2015 4:04 PM

Julia Roberts has never been anything other than Julia Roberts.

Just LOOK at who I have been:

1933-1953: Miss Caroline Lee Bouvier

1953-1959: Mrs. Michael Temple Canfield

1959-1959: Mrs. Caroline Lee Canfield

1959-1959: Ms. Caroline Lee Bouvier

1959-1974: Her Serene Highness Princess Stanisław Albrecht Radziwiłł

1974-1976: Caroline Lee, Princess Radziwiłł

1976-1988: Caroline Lee, Dowager Princess Radziwiłł

1988-2001: Mrs. Herbert Ross

2001-2001: Mrs. Caroline Lee Ross

2001-2001: Ms. Caroline Lee, Dowager Mrs. Ross

2001–present: Caroline Lee, Princess Radziwiłł

by Anonymousreply 39April 4, 2015 4:10 PM

This was the second Royal Performance fiasco that both Ray Stark and Herb Ross presided over.

The first was for Funny Lady. Barbra Streisand had locked herself in the bathroom back at her London hotel suite before the big premiere because she thought the movie was a piece of crap and was embarrassed. She also hated Stark, who Jon Peters said raped her.

Stark called Barbra and Jon's suite in a panic demanding to know where she was. Jon said that Barbra had locked herself in the bathroom, crying, and was refusing to come out. Stark told Jon that Queen Elizabeth and Prince Charles were on their way and he had to do anything and everything to get her there. Stark heard Barbra screaming in the background, "TELL HIM I'M NOT GOING!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40April 4, 2015 4:12 PM

Lee had a hell of a life, good and bad. She might have been a better person if she'd gone to secretarial school and learned to type, though.

by Anonymousreply 41April 4, 2015 4:14 PM

Right, R41. Hahahahahaha!

by Anonymousreply 42April 4, 2015 4:18 PM

The biggest shock of all this is that the Queen saw "Steel magnolias." I wonder if she and Prince Philip repeat their favorite campy lines to one another.

"SHELBY, DRINK THE JUICE!"

by Anonymousreply 43April 4, 2015 4:19 PM

all this brouhaha for a shitty film

by Anonymousreply 44April 4, 2015 4:19 PM

Someone should have tapped her on the ass with a rolled up newspaper and said "Move it along, toots."

by Anonymousreply 45April 4, 2015 4:20 PM

Who, r45: the Queen?

by Anonymousreply 46April 4, 2015 4:22 PM

This story is just an example of the phrase "money can't buy you class". It's always fascinating to hear tidbits about the upper class behaving like trailor trash. There are so many privileged who are like Lee.

by Anonymousreply 47April 4, 2015 4:25 PM

Adding to the undertones of entitlement in this droll tale are:

a) When Stanislaw Radzwill became a British subject he applied to Elizabeth to be able to continue to use the title of prince but was refused.

and

b) Lee Radziwill was believed by a great many to have been the worst actress who ever lived. See for instance her ill-fate remake of Laura for tv.

by Anonymousreply 48April 4, 2015 4:26 PM

Saw Lee in the 1968 television version of "Laura", which has been strangely under wraps ever since. Never rebroadcast again and never released on VHS or DVD. It was shown at the Paley Center in Los Angeles a couple of years ago, but nowhere else.

by Anonymousreply 49April 4, 2015 4:27 PM

What was it Roseanne Roseannadanna said of Lee Radizell?: "You know, the lady who claims she's some sort of princess, but no one can figure out just what she's supposed to be princess OF."

by Anonymousreply 50April 4, 2015 4:30 PM

Jackie was reportedly against Lee marrying Herbert Ross because friends had informed Jackie that he was gay.

by Anonymousreply 51April 4, 2015 4:30 PM

Was there any face slappin?

by Anonymousreply 52April 4, 2015 4:33 PM

Wouldn't the possible questions about Herb Ross's sexuality be beside the point?

I remain hopeful that a DVD of Laura will be released in a boxed set along with The Day the Clown Cried.

by Anonymousreply 53April 4, 2015 4:33 PM

Julia must have gotten her revenge at some point. Can anyone track down a photo of her wearing a t shirt that says "Aloe Radziwell" or some other clever bit of wordplay?

by Anonymousreply 54April 4, 2015 4:35 PM

[quote] What was it Roseanne Roseannadanna said of Lee Radizell?: "You know, the lady who claims she's some sort of princess, but no one can figure out just what she's supposed to be princess OF."

An example is her relaying of a story about eating a hamburger in a restaurant and feeling something hard in it. Roseannadanna spat it out to find it was white and looked like a toenail. She said, "I thought I was gonna die. I mean, what was a toenail doing in my hamburger?" Then she went to the restroom and on the way to the restroom she saw Princess Lee Radziwill who she described as the "classy lady that no one knows where she's the princess of." However, what the Princess didn't know was she had a tiny piece of toilet paper hanging off her shoe, and she was walking around and the toilet paper wouldn't fall off. "I thought I was gonna be sick. So I say to her, 'Hey Princess Lee—what are ya tryin' to do, make me sick?'. Jane Curtin asked her what this had to do with anything. Roseanne said, "Well it just goes to show you, it's always something, you either got a toenail in your hamburger or toilet paper clinging to your shoe."

by Anonymousreply 55April 4, 2015 4:37 PM

[quote]I've known Peter for 22 years, and have seen him dressed in nothing but a towel so skimpy that he had to hold it not quite around him. Fine body, but not great.

When you marry men strictly for their money, any guy who looks halfway decent in a towel is an Adonis.

by Anonymousreply 56April 4, 2015 4:42 PM

Lee's affair with Peter Beard was back in the 1970's, much longer than 22 years ago. If you've seen photos of him from that time, he was stunning.

by Anonymousreply 57April 4, 2015 4:45 PM

Peter Beard was gorgeous in his youth. Peter-Beard-.jpg

by Anonymousreply 58April 4, 2015 4:47 PM

R54, "some other clever bit of word play" implies that "Aloe Radziwell" was clever.

by Anonymousreply 59April 4, 2015 4:50 PM

It's a reference to A low Vera which also was not clever wordplay.

by Anonymousreply 60April 4, 2015 4:56 PM

[quote]Lee Radziwell IS that cunt.

Excuse me? That title is TAKEN!

by Anonymousreply 61April 4, 2015 4:56 PM

This thread is useless without photos of Peter Beard's Adonis-like body.

by Anonymousreply 62April 4, 2015 5:01 PM

Beard and Dali a long time ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63April 4, 2015 5:12 PM

"Magnolias" troll here, said it before: worked for Herbert Ross during this period and Lee Radziwell was always very kind to me. Granted, it was up front and center in a busy Tri Star office or whatever but I liked her.

And never really got any impression that Herbert was gay, sorry. Was always surprised he got married again after his beloved ballerina wife Nora died (I truly believe they were a great couple and I am very cynical by nature) but it had been a few years so nobody frowned about it. He was a bit of a dandy and definitely could be pissy but I think straight -- or the elderly version of asexual, really.

(Always thought the straight husband ballet dancer in "Turning Point" that Tom Skerritt played was an homage a Herbert. :)

by Anonymousreply 64April 4, 2015 5:17 PM

[quote] 1953-1959: Mrs. Michael Temple Canfield

I had forgotten about this.

You just know she married Canfield because it was a known "secret" that he was the illegitimate son of Prince George, Duke Of Kent and brother to 2 kings. Plus being very rich.

Poor little Michael Canfield.

by Anonymousreply 65April 4, 2015 5:29 PM

In the pic at r63, I just noticed that Peter is covering his peter and Dali has placed something that looks like an erect peter at crotch level. What is that thing that he is holding?

by Anonymousreply 66April 4, 2015 5:34 PM

Peter Beard had an okay body by today's standards. But keep in mind in those days in that social circle he was an Adonis because most of the men had no exercise and were soft and fat.

Beard was really fucked up and narcissistic (like most of them, but to an even more pronounced degree).

by Anonymousreply 67April 4, 2015 5:39 PM

I remember seeing Herb and Lee at a very early performance of Jeffrey on far West 23rd Street circa 1994, a week or two after Jackie O had died They exited their limo and had to wait in front of the theater with a small crowd of queens. The WPA theater where Jeffrey played originally was tiny.

Lee looked like she smelled bad fish the whole time she was waiting (which she actually might have in that neighborhood at that time). You can only imagine the reactions from the otherwise 100% gay crowd waiting to go into the play when they recognized her. I remember thinking that she should still be home in mourning because it was so soon after Jackie's death.

by Anonymousreply 68April 4, 2015 6:03 PM

I've always thought that Peter Beard was as handsome a man as I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 69April 4, 2015 6:27 PM

Have any of you bitches had more fancy, schmantzy titles, than Lee, A.K.A.:

Titles and stylesEdit 1933-1953: Miss Caroline Lee Bouvier 1953-1959: Mrs. Michael Temple Canfield 1959-1959: Mrs. Caroline Lee Canfield 1959-1959: Ms. Caroline Lee Bouvier 1959-1974: Her Serene Highness Princess Stanisław Albrecht Radziwiłł 1974-1976: Caroline Lee, Princess Radziwiłł 1976-1988: Caroline Lee, Dowager Princess Radziwiłł 1988-2001: Mrs. Herbert Ross 2001-2001: Mrs. Caroline Lee Ross 2001-2001: Ms. Caroline Lee, Dowager Mrs. Ross 2001–present: Caroline Lee, Princess Radziwiłł

THIS is the kind of BS that occupies most of the elites' time.

by Anonymousreply 70April 4, 2015 6:29 PM

Charlie must have been a cute little shop-bottom in the seventies. What is a male shiksa called anyways? Does he know other famous people? Did he ever toot and boot at studio 54? Meet Andy Warhol, Halston or Liza? I love history. Barbara Striesand lived in NYC some of the seventies I read somewhere. Did Charlie know Barbara? She is supposed to be a nightmare for shopgirls.

by Anonymousreply 71April 4, 2015 6:37 PM

I remember seeing "Laura" when it appeared on TV. If memory serves, Lee was doing the play at a local theater in Chicago. (The Ivanhoe.) This was in 1968.

I believe there is a story that when she and Robert Stack, who played Mark MacPhearson, had a kissing scene, Lee said "Farley kisses well, but you kiss better." Farley Granger was playing Shelby Carpenter.

As for the Julia/Lee story, it's hilarious. A young bitch vs. an experienced one.

Remember the old saying, "Old age and treachery will always win out over youth and skill."

Winner: Lee

by Anonymousreply 72April 4, 2015 6:43 PM

Prince Radziwell didn't lose his title, he just couldn't legally use it in England. His precedence stayed the same among other continental princes.

by Anonymousreply 73April 4, 2015 6:54 PM

Doesn't Lee have an adult daughter?

by Anonymousreply 74April 4, 2015 7:13 PM

R14. My money would definitely be on Lee. At the SLIGHTEST provocation I imagine a social X-ray as frail as Lee has always been, would just douse a bitch with a lipstick-size military-grade mace,she'd always keep at the ready in her Judith Leiber clutch. Easy Peasy!

by Anonymousreply 75April 4, 2015 7:21 PM

Seems like I've been spelling her name wrong all this time.

by Anonymousreply 76April 4, 2015 7:28 PM

Maggie Smith seemed to have some beef with Herbert Ross while working with him on California Suite. She mentioned it on a 60 Minutes interview. Does anyone know what it was about?

by Anonymousreply 77April 4, 2015 7:31 PM

R74, Yes. Tina Radziwiłł. She looks like Lee, only fatter and not as stylish.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78April 4, 2015 7:44 PM

I love this semi-recent picture of Lee.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79April 4, 2015 7:44 PM

A Vanity Fair story about Peter Beard, from about 20 years ago, mentioned he was always surrounded by drugs and debt.

by Anonymousreply 80April 4, 2015 7:49 PM

Lol Lee looks like Nancy Reagan

by Anonymousreply 81April 4, 2015 7:49 PM

Ross was very mean to Dolly Parton during the filming of Magnolias. He basically told her in front of the whole crew that she couldn't act.

by Anonymousreply 82April 4, 2015 7:54 PM

Well, he wasn't wrong but he was wrong to say it, especially in front of others.

by Anonymousreply 83April 4, 2015 8:02 PM

Lee and Radziwell were on the brink of divorce when they forced to have a Catholic wedding in 1963. They were ordered to do this by the Kennedys in anticipation of the 1964 campaign. Lee's association with Onassis was damaging enough to JFK. Jackie's decision to join the Radziwell's on Onassis' yacht was the worst one she ever made.

by Anonymousreply 84April 4, 2015 8:07 PM

R82, Ross was also verbally abusive towards Julia and the ladies suppposedly banded together and told him off. Ross probably didn't want her sitting next to him at the Command Performance.

by Anonymousreply 85April 4, 2015 8:07 PM

Julia is America's royalty and a national treasure while Lee is a personification of filth and trash.

by Anonymousreply 86April 4, 2015 8:11 PM

More Steel Magnolias gossip please. With that group of counts it could not have been a happy set.

BTW I have always heard that real southern women hate the movie.

by Anonymousreply 87April 4, 2015 8:22 PM

This story is a beautiful illustration of why it's a bad idea to be a cunt.

Because the little starlet who she reduced to tears became a hugely powerful Hollywood player, in a position to hurt Lee's social status and Ross's career, and cunty enough to do so. Same for all the producers and moneymen who were there - how many of them later said "Don't hire Herb Ross as long as his wife is alive"?

And Charles and Diana must have put her on their "Not at the same party EVER" list.

by Anonymousreply 88April 4, 2015 8:38 PM

Charlie - did you also work at Charivari in the 70's?

by Anonymousreply 89April 4, 2015 8:45 PM

How old is Charlie?

by Anonymousreply 90April 4, 2015 8:53 PM

Julia rocking blonde hair and looking fabulous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91April 4, 2015 8:53 PM

Was Julia always a diva?

by Anonymousreply 92April 4, 2015 8:57 PM

Julia Roberts beauty is so so underrated. During her pretty woman days, not many could even hold a candle to her beauty.One of a kind.Just see his pic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93April 4, 2015 9:02 PM

R93 - That's not even a good picture of Julia.

by Anonymousreply 94April 4, 2015 9:15 PM

Olympia Dukakis should have grabbed that seat stealing stick insect by her bony clavicle, shook her at Julia Roberts and yelled :

"Here you want to hit something? Hit this! Go ahead Julia,, slap her! We'll sell t-shirts sayin' "I SLAPPED PRINCESS LEE RADZIWILL !" Hit her! Half o' Europe'd give their eye teeth to take a whack a Lee!

by Anonymousreply 95April 4, 2015 9:47 PM

Sally pays tribute to Shirley with Julia looking (beautifully) on. The stories of how well they all got on and how badly the actresses were treated by Ross on that film shoot are pretty well known.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96April 4, 2015 9:59 PM

R78 a bfa link! Ha! DL needs to post more of those - some great pics on there.

I never thought Lee was the "prettier one," but hey that's just me.

R82 I actually liked Dolly the best of the cast. At least she was...natural, and naturally charming, and not doing some obviously patented schtick to try to get an Oscar nomination.

Its still hard for me to wrap my mind around the fact that there was so much hype fora shitty movie, and that practically every woman in Hollywood was Jones-ing for a part in it.

I guess everyone thought it would be the next Terms of Endearment. But alas, it proved to be closer to Beaches...

by Anonymousreply 97April 4, 2015 10:01 PM

Even in 2013, Radziwill was the very definition of the "social x-ray"!

I wonder if she wears her hair that way to accentuate her lollipop head.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98April 4, 2015 10:07 PM

R96 summer of "1998?" Whoops!

by Anonymousreply 99April 4, 2015 10:08 PM

She's better at being too thin than too rich.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100April 4, 2015 10:10 PM

She's ridiculous looking and hideous.

by Anonymousreply 101April 4, 2015 10:13 PM

50 years from now the only actresses that will be remembered, revered and considered legendary are Elizabeth Taylor, Audrey Hepburn, Katherine Hepburn, Marilyn Monroe, Julia Roberts, Meryl Streep.

by Anonymousreply 102April 4, 2015 10:14 PM

Was Lee's royal title threatened when she re-married?

by Anonymousreply 103April 4, 2015 10:15 PM

Who let the unhinged Julia Roberts fan in?

by Anonymousreply 104April 4, 2015 10:17 PM

I have to think the Julia Roberts "fan" is being facetious.

by Anonymousreply 105April 4, 2015 10:25 PM

r104 OMG! Why are you so angry man ? Take a chill pill cuddles.

Julia is not only an American icon but also a global one. So obviously there will be some unhinged fans and normal fans.But you have no right to abuse and criticize those fans. Yes, no right. Zilch. uhh..zero rights. You should respect every one's opinion.In this case it's not an opinion but a fact.Other than being a legendary actress, Julia is a gay icon.So you can't attack her fans.Please don't do that again.Ok?

by Anonymousreply 106April 4, 2015 10:28 PM

There are lots of Julia Roberts fans. I don't get the hate for her. She is a better actress than Bullock, was once very lovely to look at, blew Meryl off the screen in AOC, has a cool personal style and is the last real female movie STAR there is likely to be.

Who are all these ancient DL gays who judge her sex life or that she "stole" another woman's husband? Such a hypocritical and bourgeois concern.

by Anonymousreply 107April 4, 2015 10:29 PM

R82, after Herbert Ross told Dolly that she couldn't act and suggested that she take acting lessons, Dolly supposedly fired back, "I know I can't act, but I was hired as a personality. It's your job as a director to make it look like I can act!"

Julia, on the other hand, was still a young, insecure ingenue and the thought of acting with the likes of Maclaine, Field, and Dukakis unnerved her. Ross, like a schoolyard bully, honed in on her vulnerabilities and picked on her mercilessly, criticizing her looks and acting skills. Determined to beat a good performance out of her, taskmaster Ross would wear her down until she got it right. Julia would go crying to Field and Maclaine practically every night, lamenting how terrible she was and that she couldn't go on. In the end, Julia would emerge America's Sweetheart and nab the film's sole Academy Award nomination.

by Anonymousreply 108April 4, 2015 10:35 PM

[quote]bourgeois concern.

I wouldn't go [italic]that[/italic] far.

by Anonymousreply 109April 4, 2015 10:35 PM

The best thing about Julia Roberts was always her hair, IMO. She does have a great smile, until she opens her mouth too wide and it looks like she's unhinging her jaw.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110April 4, 2015 10:38 PM

No doubt R93 was joking.

by Anonymousreply 111April 4, 2015 10:40 PM

[quote]There are lots of Julia Roberts fans.

Try living with her. Me me me me me me me me me me. Exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 112April 4, 2015 10:40 PM

R108 she was also at her skinniest and her forehead vein popped out big time in that movie.

I guess that's how she coped.

by Anonymousreply 113April 4, 2015 10:42 PM

[quote]Its still hard for me to wrap my mind around the fact that there was so much hype for a shitty movie, and that practically every woman in Hollywood was Jones-ing for a part in it.

Because it was a hit Off-Broadway play, with a very rare all-female ensemble cast. Every Hollywood actress saw it as their chance to shine.

by Anonymousreply 114April 4, 2015 10:43 PM

R108 I literally had goosebumps reading that and I was in tears by the end of it. Thanks my love. No doubt Julia changed the way actresses are seen onscreen and redefined the term superstar.

by Anonymousreply 115April 4, 2015 10:43 PM

r113 Idiot. Why are you so mean ? What did Julia do to you ? Don't say such things.

by Anonymousreply 116April 4, 2015 10:45 PM

Lol no r111. I actually found Julia at her prettiest at the Oscars when she was nominated for Pretty Woman. That's the 1st pic of her at the event I found on the Internet. So I posted it.

by Anonymousreply 117April 4, 2015 10:48 PM

[quote]I literally had goosebumps reading that and I was in tears by the end of it. Thanks my love.

Mary!

I think I'm falling in love with the Julia Roberts Loon because of how nuts it is.

by Anonymousreply 118April 4, 2015 10:49 PM

[quote]Was Lee's royal title threatened when she re-married?

Of course. The Solidarity Movement in Poland had no greater concern in 1988 than Lee Radziwill claiming to be a Polish princess. It is believed that their constant agitation demanding the Soviets take action to defend the integrity of their titles of nobility is what eventually led to the collapse of the Soviet Union.

by Anonymousreply 119April 4, 2015 10:53 PM

R113 - That was not Julia's skinnest. Not even close,

by Anonymousreply 120April 4, 2015 10:54 PM

r118 You sound dumb. It's not nuts but fan love. You know nothing , so keep your mouth shut and don't cause stress.

by Anonymousreply 121April 4, 2015 10:55 PM

Let's talk about Julia's heroin addiction!

by Anonymousreply 122April 4, 2015 10:58 PM

Julia was addicted to heroin during the filming of Hook (this is a fact that is well known throughout Hollywood) so she must have been at her skinniest and pastiest then.

by Anonymousreply 123April 4, 2015 10:58 PM

Lee looks like a velociraptor--or an-ostrich-not-to-be-fucked-with in the pic at r79

by Anonymousreply 124April 4, 2015 10:59 PM

r122 = Sandra Bullock

r123 = Meryl Streep

by Anonymousreply 125April 4, 2015 11:02 PM

She's forever beautiful and forever young!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126April 4, 2015 11:03 PM

I thought Lee died years ago. I wonder whose money she's spending now.

by Anonymousreply 127April 4, 2015 11:04 PM

The most beautiful woman in America!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128April 4, 2015 11:04 PM

Let's talk about how Julia used to taunt her sister about her weight and then her sister killed herself!

by Anonymousreply 129April 4, 2015 11:05 PM

Forever lovely! No wonder she's America's royalty!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130April 4, 2015 11:05 PM

The thing with Jackie's will--where she spelled out why she wasn't leaving Lee any money (because she'd given her enough during her lifetime)--seemed gratuitously nasty.

Did they not get along toward the end of Jackie's life?

by Anonymousreply 131April 4, 2015 11:12 PM

This really is the perfect Datalounge story. Cuntitude, royalty, fake royalty, Dolly Parton, and making Julia Roberts cry.

Just let me know when to start the second thread!

by Anonymousreply 132April 4, 2015 11:13 PM

She looks ethereal here.Like an angel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133April 4, 2015 11:13 PM

There is quite a lot more in the book about Steel Magnolias.

Including this. One day, Rex Reed, film critic and star of At The Movies, showed up in Natchitoches on assignment from a magasine to write about the making of the film. Banned from the set by Herb Ross, he hung around the town to seek out his story.

'Everyone connected with that movie was more than happy to give me unflattering Lee Radziwell stories' says Reed. 'She behaved like an impossible, self-centred, very temperamental bitch who made no attempt to even try and be diplomatic with the little people of that town, and no one on the set would have anything to do with her, either. they all hated her there - just hated her! she alienated so many people that they were calling me up to give me stories, and when Premiere magazine fact-checkers called them to verify everything, my sources gave them even more material'

'It was unbelievable what was going on. First off, she insisted on the best rental house for herself. Then she had furniture moved out as it was not aesthetically pleasing to her - this wasn't even her house. She made union carpenters come over from the set to cover up a skylight in the bedroom. She ordered the production to ship in a British Raleigh bicycle for her by Fed Ex from Baton Rouge. She made Herb Ross bring home the imported caviar from the set for themselves (at $135 for a tiny jar) and then denied that they had taken it.

Shirley McLaine and I were getting together every night. She was just devastated that this woman was dominating his life and already spending all his money faster than he could earn it. '

To the poster who doubts Ross was gay : he lived with John Ward, dancer turned art director, in an openly gay relationship for 13 years in the 1940's and 50's.

Karen Lerner was at the Herb and Lee wedding dinner hosted by Jackie i her library. 'Isn't he homosexual?' Jackie asked. Lerner replied' Well i never heard he wasn't'.

Sometimes Ross would queen out. Architect and decorator Tony Hail was at a dinner at which 'everything was fine until Herbert fell apart in the middle of it. He had a couple of drinks and suddently his hands were waving all over the place and he was back to his old self, the bisexual part . It was dismaying to see because it was so obvious. I was embarrassed for Lee that here was this fellow whom she married, her bridegroom, who was obviously a homosexual. But i have to say, Lee seemed enormously happy. She was hard up, you know, for so long'.

by Anonymousreply 134April 4, 2015 11:14 PM

r126 , r128 and r130 Sorry to reveal it to you guys but that's not how she looks. They are clearly photoshopped.

Let's give the credit where it is due.Shall we?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135April 4, 2015 11:15 PM

During the filming of "Steel Magnolias", Julia was fucking Dylan McDermott, but by the time she was awarded a Golden Globe Award for playing Shelby, she was fucking Kiefer Sutherland.

by Anonymousreply 136April 4, 2015 11:15 PM

Little sister you will always be second row.

by Anonymousreply 137April 4, 2015 11:17 PM

She looks even more heavenly here--truly a delicate beauty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138April 4, 2015 11:17 PM

[quote]They are clearly photoshopped.

And I am the queen of Romania.

by Anonymousreply 139April 4, 2015 11:18 PM

r132 That's not entirely true.

The mere mention of Julia Roberts in a thread attracts multitude of obsessed haters even after 30 years of global super stardom.Thankfully for every hater there are thousands of fans. As they say your popularity is reflected by the number of haters you have.So I can't complain.

by Anonymousreply 140April 4, 2015 11:20 PM

Julia Roberts went through a field of dick when she was young, we should respect her for that!

by Anonymousreply 141April 4, 2015 11:20 PM

Lee Radziwell must really be a cunt if she's made most of you go Team Julia.

Julia has long been about as popular here as Gwyneth la Goop.

by Anonymousreply 142April 4, 2015 11:22 PM

r139 There is no such thing as queen of Romania. Stop trolling.

by Anonymousreply 143April 4, 2015 11:22 PM

[quote]As they say your popularity is reflected by the number of haters you have.

They do?!

by Anonymousreply 144April 4, 2015 11:23 PM

Julia "interview" in 1986

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145April 4, 2015 11:24 PM

Julia in an early Letterman (1989) interview. She seems sweet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146April 4, 2015 11:26 PM

If it weren't for the stench and the piles of shit, I'd sooner take the Beales of Grey Gardens in their fallen state than have to put up with someone like Lee Radziwell.

Obviously Radziwell couldn't keep up the pretense of having been a princess if she sat in the second row while mere actresses sat in the front row with the authentic royals.

by Anonymousreply 147April 4, 2015 11:26 PM

r146 She is, isn't she ? And her haters wonder why she still rules millions of hearts even today.

by Anonymousreply 148April 4, 2015 11:30 PM

Herbert Ross was...pushy.

by Anonymousreply 149April 4, 2015 11:33 PM

[quote]The thing with Jackie's will--where she spelled out why she wasn't leaving Lee any money (because she'd given her enough during her lifetime)--seemed gratuitously nasty.

I think that's pretty standard in a will to prevent challenges. Better to explicitly state you have chosen to leave nothing (and why) to a close blood relative and diminish the likelihood the person will argue a mistake was made. The actual language in Jackie's will isn't that bad:

[quote]I have made no provision in this my Will for my sister, Lee B. Radziwill, for whom I have great affection because I have already done so during my lifetime

This could reference a trust she already set up for her sister that was paying out regularly before her death. It's not presumptively nasty. Maybe you know more details, I just googled the will, and on its face it's not bad.

by Anonymousreply 150April 4, 2015 11:33 PM

Yeah, she's a real fucking peach.

by Anonymousreply 151April 4, 2015 11:34 PM

Thanks for the legwork, r150. You're right--not bad at all; I had remembered (incorrectly) that it was much worse.

by Anonymousreply 152April 4, 2015 11:37 PM

Jackie and Lee were barely speaking by the mid seventies, according to the book.

Lee was angry and jealous that Onassis married Jackie and made Jackie a very rich woman, for starters.

by Anonymousreply 153April 4, 2015 11:38 PM

R146 she's a natural blonde? And looks WASPy?

What kind of mirror do these people use?

by Anonymousreply 154April 4, 2015 11:45 PM

I had no idea that Herb Ross directed "The Owl & the Pussycat." And I'd forgotten that he also directed "The Turning Point."

by Anonymousreply 155April 5, 2015 12:00 AM

[quote]There is no such thing as queen of Romania. Stop trolling.

You were doing so great, and then you tipped your hand too far.

Oh well.

by Anonymousreply 156April 5, 2015 12:05 AM

The Radvila/Radziwiłł clan of Poland-Lithuania were never royalty. They reigned nowhere but upon their own fortunes. They were nobility, however, who were granted their princely titles by the Holy Roman Emperor. How silly that this woman so desperately clung onto the "Princess Lee" moniker when the title was meaningless in the post-Empire age. And since she divorced Ross and Radziwiłł and Canfield, why not just go back to being Lee Bouvier? Why retain the Radziwiłł name? The uppity, social-climbing bitch.

by Anonymousreply 157April 5, 2015 3:28 AM

Cunts are cunts because they know they can be.

Lee did what she did because she's a cunt of the highest order and knew she'd get away with it... and she did. Julia probably cried because she'd been out-cunted for the first time in her life.

Cunts like Lee continue to be cunts because they know they have the stamina you don't. They get away with it and because of that, they keep cunting.

It's a vicious cunt cycle.

by Anonymousreply 158April 5, 2015 3:37 AM

Charlie: did you run over from Andre Oliver to the East Side Sauna on your lunch breaks?

by Anonymousreply 159April 5, 2015 3:45 AM

Regarding the passage in Jackie's will where Jackie says she leaves Lee nothing.

[quote]not bad at all

I beg to differ. What Jackie wrote, all WASPs recognize as the ultimate slap in the face, codified for eternity.

The translation is: You get nothing, you leech.

by Anonymousreply 160April 5, 2015 4:09 AM

In Gore Vidal's memoir,Palimsest, there is a photo of Lee & Truman Capote ascending a stair case.

The photo is taken from the top of the stairs,so only the top halves of them is seen.

The caption Vidal placed under the pic is..."having received their instructions from their Dark Master,Satan's legion come forth to do his bidding."

Vidal also called Jackie "the woman who never did a single thing for another human being other than her children."

The same man also married both of their mothers (I can't remember if it was Hughie Auchincloss or "Black Jack" Bouvier or neither & I don't feel like googling it!).

by Anonymousreply 161April 5, 2015 4:29 AM

Can still someone explain to me why Lee was considered the "pretty" one.

I don't even think it's close.

by Anonymousreply 162April 5, 2015 4:33 AM

Auchincloss. He was married to Vidal's mother for a time, then later married Janet Bouvier. So he, Jackie and Lee had the same stepfather but at different times.

There were half sibs involved too so that bound the relation.

by Anonymousreply 163April 5, 2015 4:33 AM

[quote]Lee was angry and jealous that Onassis married Jackie and made Jackie a very rich woman, for starters.

Lee may have also been jealous that Jackie fucked Onassis and he married her, being as she'd fucked him too but got nothing.

She supposedly also fucked JFK after the wedding. not proven though.

by Anonymousreply 164April 5, 2015 4:35 AM

[quote]I beg to differ. What Jackie wrote, all WASPs recognize as the ultimate slap in the face, codified for eternity.

Please. All proper WASPs recognize good estate planning. And the Bouvier girls were Catholic. Jackie probably provided for her sister with a trust that pre-existed/avoided probate so the controlling terms (judging by what she set up for Lee's kids, distributing 500k to each of them over ten years) were hidden from public view.

by Anonymousreply 165April 5, 2015 4:39 AM

Vidal had a falling out with the Kennedys. He never struck me as one for reconciliation. I suspect that Jackie (correctly, if you read his memoirs) decided he wasn't worth the effort. I sure wouldn't. As she got older, jackie became less of a snob. Both her mother and Vidal's were major pieces of work.

by Anonymousreply 166April 5, 2015 4:43 AM

If STEEL MAGNOLIAS were made today, the main female cast would consist of two Brits, two Aussies, a Canadian, and possibly an American. The Dylan McDermott part would definitely go to a Brit, as well.

by Anonymousreply 167April 5, 2015 4:55 AM

Eric Roberts was far prettier than his little sister, before the accident that tore up his face.

What I can't understand is how anyone can keep a straight face when some pretentious twat uses a title that means nothing anymore, like Princess Radziwill or Princess of Greece.

When you rule nothing, and have no influence, your title is a joke and you should have the decency to drop it forever. I can't believe these nonentities who style themselves "Prince of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha" (or whatever) are not laughed right out of town.

by Anonymousreply 168April 5, 2015 5:07 AM

Long long after the Kennedy fall-out Vidal was staying at a grand London hotel. He took the lift to the ground floor, and at the next stop Jackie came in. They descended in silence. At ground level, Jackie said 'Bye bye!', and that was that.

by Anonymousreply 169April 5, 2015 6:14 AM

No, R167. If it were made today it would feature an all black cast and air on Lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 170April 5, 2015 6:18 AM

[quote]When you rule nothing, and have no influence, your title is a joke and you should have the decency to drop it forever.

Vhy don't you do ze vorld a favor, dahlink, and drop dead?

by Anonymousreply 171April 5, 2015 8:22 AM

Here's some good older pics of Lee:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172April 5, 2015 8:43 AM

Julia is my idol and my God Julia is my idol and my God Julia is my idol and my God Julia is my idol and my God Julia is my idol and my God Julia is my idol and my God Julia is my idol and my God Julia is my idol and my God Julia is my idol and my God Julia is my idol and my God Julia is my idol and my God Julia is my idol and my God Julia is my idol and my God Julia is my idol and my God Julia is my idol and my God

by Anonymousreply 173April 5, 2015 9:05 AM

R172 still no Jackie facially - its not even close, really.

Plus, Jackie had the type of face where she could be skinny (ie bring carrot sticks to eat for lunch when she worked at Doubleday) and never look gaunt. Lee, ALWAYS looked gaunt.

She was certainly attractive in her day (and of course all the couture helped) - and I actually liked her as a blonde (in the 70s) but she never had the great beauty of Jackie.

by Anonymousreply 174April 5, 2015 9:49 AM

In the NYT video interview between Lee and Sofia Coppola posted earlier in this thread, there's a very funny moment when Lee is asked if she'd like to say anything about Onassis and her reply is a curt "No!".

by Anonymousreply 175April 5, 2015 11:08 AM

Gore Vidal got drunk at a dinner Jackie threw for Lee at the White House and Bobby and another guy had to roughly remove him. That is what upset the apple cart there.

Jackie left Lee nothing in her will. Not a single trinket. She provided for her niece and nephew.

Gore Vidal was wrong to say that Jackie did nothing for anyone except her kids. She was a good aunt. Lee was a horrible mother, absent from her children's lives for much of their upbringing, by nannies. She spent much of the sixties on yachts and on holiday, shopping and having affairs- without Tina and Anthony. Tina's friends considered her withdrawn and neglected. Lee bullied her for her lack of interest in her appearance, criticising her weight and her skin.

Lee had post-natal depression after Tina was born premature. She blamed Stanislaw Radziwell and refused to ever have sex with him again, though she stayed marred to him for years later, for the 'title' and so she could drain him financially. She threw him out of the master bedroom and he was relegated to a box room, in which she installed a bed.

When Lee's boozing got out of control in the seventies (and she would take Valium for the hangovers) Tina would have to care for her in the NYC apartment. Lee was so nasty to Tina that she ran away to aunt Jackie. She lived at Jackie's place (a few blocks from Lee's) for months. Lee was very bitter about that.

When Anthony got married, Lee absurdly sent out invitations to members of the European royal families, requesting their presence at the celebration of the wedding of Prince Radziwell. She was very irritated that none of them replied.

by Anonymousreply 176April 5, 2015 11:29 AM

When Lee was having her affair with Onassis, he treated her like a high-end hooker, which is basically what she is, a type of courtesan to rich men.He would summon her to his yacht, they would sail around, and then she would be dismissed.

Once, Lee arrived in Athens and Onassis didn't even pick her up. She was installed at Onassis's sister's villa near the airport. She just sat around waiting for him, like a call girl, while her husband and kids were in England.

Lee was infatuated with Rudolf Nureyev and tried very hard to turn him straight. They had sex, once, when Lee installed him as her 'lodger' for six months at the marital home in London. She was disgusted by Nureyev's gay porn that she would find, and he would delight in offending her by announcing that he needed 'a big cock'.

Despite the fact that she hagged for Capote and Nureyev, she was rather homophobic, viewing Capote as an amusing lap dog, until she brutally dropped him in the seventies. After which time, if anyone asked her about her 'close friend' she would snap 'oh, that little fag'.

by Anonymousreply 177April 5, 2015 11:37 AM

Love. This. Thread.

by Anonymousreply 178April 5, 2015 12:36 PM

Don't worry, R156, some of us got it....

by Anonymousreply 179April 5, 2015 12:43 PM

When was Julia sleeping with Denzel Washington? Was it before, during or after her relationship with Benjamin Bratt?

by Anonymousreply 180April 5, 2015 1:23 PM

Okay, here's a picture of Lee being "the pretty one".

Great bone structure, definitely looking prettier than her more famous sister here (circa 1960). Lovely smile, too, but I don't imagine a cunt of that magnitude smiled very often. Cunts don't smile, they gloat!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181April 5, 2015 3:30 PM

Lee Radziwell is Patsy Stone without the wit or the irony.

by Anonymousreply 182April 5, 2015 3:39 PM

It's RadziWILL, people!

by Anonymousreply 183April 6, 2015 12:11 AM

[quote]What I can't understand is how anyone can keep a straight face when some pretentious twat uses a title that means nothing anymore, like Princess Radziwill or Princess of Greece.

Say what?

by Anonymousreply 184April 6, 2015 1:00 AM

[quote]It's RadziWILL, people!

She sure will.

by Anonymousreply 185April 6, 2015 2:00 AM

18 languages and that bitch can't say "no" in any of them.

by Anonymousreply 186April 6, 2015 3:09 AM

If you look up CUNT in the dictionary, there's her picture. Lee RadziWELL.

by Anonymousreply 187April 6, 2015 10:51 AM

More evidence of Lee RAHSHI-will's cuntitude for the datalounge jury, again from the treasure trove that is, Diana DuBois's 'Intimate Biography'.

Lee's hotstuff lover Peter Beard told his pal Steve Aronson ' she will go anywhere to make a fool out of herself. When she is around fancy city people she graduates from (being genuine) to manipulation and cunning'.

Lee and Peter's friend Jay Mellon once spotted a manuscript lying around Aronson's place. Steve was editing the memoirs of interior designer Billy Baldwin and Jay read it. One chapter was called 'La Princesse Manquée' and although Lee was not named, Jay recognised her immediately.

The first part was to be called 'Stars in My Crown' about clients he liked, such as Cole Porter and the second 'Thorns in My Side' was about the most appalling clients he had ever encountered. The awful clients' identities were thinly disguised. 'Unfinished Symphony' was obviously Leonard Bernstein.

Aronson recalls 'the chapter about Lee was written in piss and vinegar, and it was devastating' .

Baldwin revealed how Lee had come to his office one day to discuss the redecoration of her NYC apartment. Together, they went round to fabric and furniture sources and she took notes. then she never hired him, but instead proceeded to contact all his sources he had introduced her to, getting everything she wanted at a big discount by using her celebrity status as Jackie's sister.

Baldwin, at that time long considered the Dean of Decoration, told Aronson flatly that nothing like that had ever happened to him before in the course of his long career. he said he felt he had been plagiarised and he considered her behavior reprehensible and practically actionable.

Meanwhile, Jay Mellon told Lee about Billy's chapter. A short while later, Steve Aronson found himself at a small dinner party seated across from Lee. She behaved cordially towards him in front of other guests but at the end of the dinner he found himself bringing up the rear step with her as they all exited for the living room.

Aronson: 'Lee turned suddenly and took my hand and her hand became a claw, her fingers became talons, and she hissed 'You tell that little fag ' - this from the bosom friend of Truman Capote and Rudolf Nureyev!- ' that if that chapter ever appears in print, I am going to sue the shit aout of him!'. I left the 'fag' part out when I relayed her threat to Billy. Even so, his reply was that she was such an awful person, with such a history of making trouble for people, that it would be worth it to scrap the chapter just so he would never have t think of her again'.

by Anonymousreply 188April 6, 2015 12:41 PM

Lee's Parisian salon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189April 6, 2015 3:40 PM

More.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190April 6, 2015 3:43 PM

Lee sounds like a real cunt, but you have to remember all the people she pissed off were also real cunts. It's not like she was being cunty to the Girl Scouts or something.

by Anonymousreply 191April 6, 2015 3:59 PM

She was a cunt to her own children, R191. She didn't like children. She had them to ensure she got Stanislaw Radziwell's money. And his Francis Bacon painting, which she had to sell in the seventies when she blew through the divorce settlement.

And she was cruel to people who had been loyal to her. Maybe he should have known better, but here is how she treated Truman Capote, who she used to try and start an acting career, despite having no talent for acting at all.

Gore Vidal sued Capote over an interview with Liz Smith that Capote did, in which he told Lee's story that Vidal had been removed from the White House after getting drunk and into a fight with Bobby Kennedy in 1961 (he was never invited back).

Vidal claimed libel damages. Capote said Lee would vouch the story was true, as he had got it from her. Lee was furious and denied she said any such thing. (She may indeed have embellished the story to Truman. Gore Vidal and others, including George Plimpton, say Vidal left of his own accord though do not deny Vidal was drunk and argued with Bobby). Truman therefore refrained from deposing Lee out of loyalty to her. she received a subpoena however, and in reply, she denied ever having said anything about Vidal being kicked out of the dinner.

This ended the friendship. Truman was devastated that Lee would not back him in the legal dispute.

Lee told Newton Cope ' Oh am I ever in hot water! The little worm is threatening to sue me'. Capote had to pay $80,000 in legal costs. He asked Liz Smith to call Lee, begging her to testify that she was the source of the embellished Vidal story. 'No', Lee repeated to Smith. 'The notoriety of it is too much. I am tired of Truman riding on my coat tails to fame.And Liz, what difference does it make? They are just a couple of fags.' Smith argued for Truman, for his long friendship with Lee. But she was stunned by Lee's scorn.

Truman was besides himself with anxiety over the lawsuit as he did not have the money to pay Vidal damages. Smith passed on Lee's comments. When Truman heard Lee had called him 'just a fag' he went into a tailspin. 'RODE ON HER COAT TAILS?' he screamed. 'IS SHE KIDDING?'.

Capote called Andy Warhol, who said Truman was so mad 'it was scary'. 'He said ' If I told you all the things she's said about you, Andy'. I said 'I don't care. I've always known what kind of a person she was'.

by Anonymousreply 192April 6, 2015 4:34 PM

Someone looks as though they wish that flower they were holding was a knife...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193April 6, 2015 5:09 PM

In the interview linked upthread, Lee claims she gave up her acting career due to an acute case of "stage fright."

BWAWAHAHAHAHHA!!!

by Anonymousreply 194April 6, 2015 6:48 PM

[quote]When asked in her recent interview if she was always aware of her beauty, she stated simply, “From the word go.”

She forgot to add that following the word "Go" was the word "AWAY."

by Anonymousreply 195April 6, 2015 6:53 PM

R159- No, never even been there!

by Anonymousreply 196April 6, 2015 6:54 PM

OP, I bought that book too, but am just now on marriage No. 1. (I love getting so many book recommendations from DL but I'll never get through them all.)

by Anonymousreply 197April 6, 2015 6:58 PM

Here's Lee attending Fashion Week in Paris last September. It appears that the younger woman is supporting her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198April 6, 2015 7:01 PM

Can we get back on topic and praise the divinity that is Julia Roberts.

by Anonymousreply 199April 6, 2015 7:02 PM

Worked at Andre Oliver from '78-'84. It was an extraordinary men's store- nothing like it before or since in NYC to my knowledge, and I have lived in NYC all my life. Someone asked if Barbra Streisand ever came int- no- nor Elizabeth Taylor :) But year, lots of celebrities and the usual society types and tycoons of the time were in a lot.

So yeah I was quite the little "shop whatever", except that I am hardly little. It was load of fun at the time, but in time I went on to another much more serious career. I ran into Amanda Burden not long ago at a tennis club in NYC. At the time she was married to Steve Ross (Warner). She of course has become a great city planner (for not $) and remains one of the nicest classiest women I ever met- mother Babe Paley, step father Bill Paley (one of the first customers of the store. Anyway she said to me at one point- "I guess we both grew up". So nice and yes we both did in our own ways.

Those were unique times, the late 70s until HIV tore it all apart in the early 80s. The gay male Manhattan world of decadence, chic, over the top creativity all came to an end in the most horrible way. Most of the sales staff and Andre Oliver are deceased, of HIV.

R89- no.

by Anonymousreply 200April 6, 2015 7:08 PM

Did Lee actually fuck JFK and Onassis? I don't know much about her so never heard these rumors.

by Anonymousreply 201April 6, 2015 7:14 PM

It's hardly an achievement if she screwed JFK since he apparently screwed anything that moved, including hookers that he would send the Secret Service out to get when he was out of town.

by Anonymousreply 202April 6, 2015 7:30 PM

Great anecdote dear Charlie, and please ignore the haters, who have absolutely NOTHING to contribute, except junk food-level vitriol.

by Anonymousreply 203April 6, 2015 7:53 PM

R176: Ethan Mordden's very gay book The Guest List goes into that fight between Vidal and Bobby Kennedy in great detail, from the way it started to the ending, something like eight years later, when Vidal won his suit against Capote. Oddly, considering what a beast Vidal could be, he didn't ask for damages, just an apology.

Capote was very lucky. Damages would have bankrupted him.

by Anonymousreply 204April 6, 2015 8:31 PM

Probably Gore heard through the grapevine that Lee had fed Truman the embellished story of Vidal being manhandled out of the WH by Bobby, and so, felt a little sorry for him.

Love your first hand accounts of that time, Charlie, thanks.

Very funny that Lee claims her acting career stalled due to 'stage fright'.

I'll find some tidbits covering the legendary shit fest that was, Lee's televisual debut, 'Laura' - one of the most ill-conceived vanity projects of all time - so bad that when they previewed it at a private screening, audience members David O Selznick and Ingrid Bergman walked out, in disgust.

by Anonymousreply 205April 6, 2015 9:27 PM

Lee decided she wanted to be a actress in the sixties and she wanted to star, rather than work her way up. Truman Capote helped get her the role of Tracy Lord in a production of The Philadelphia Story at a playhouse in Chicago. The production was a disaster, due to Lee's lack of training and lack of talent. 'A Star is Not Born' was one review headline.

Undeterred, Lee was delighted when Capote pitched a Lee vehicle to producers David Susskind and Alan Shayne.

Truman adapted Laura, Otto Preminger's celebrated film noir. It was to be a two-hour Movie of the Week special for ABC and London Television. Rehearsals and taping were to take place in London. Veteran actors such as George Sanders and Farley Granger were cast to cosset the novice leading lady. But they only succeeded in highlighting her glaring inadequacies.

'The whole situation was bad' said Alan Shayne.

Lee's scenes were cut to the bone. But she was so terrible that the producers wanted to replace her. Susskind: 'what really angered me was Lee's attitude. she was constantly late for rehearsal because of parties at her home. in the final weeks of rehearsal, she didn't know her lines, or her cues, or where to enter or exit.'

Susskind had connections to the Kennedys so was uncomfortable with firing Lee. Instead he instructed director John Moxey to give her hell, so she would quit.

Lee complained to Capote and Cecil Beaton about Moxey, but refused to leave.

Susskind chopped Lee's scenes into many very brief ones, knowing Lee could not sustain any display of emotion. 'We had to do as many as thirty takes in some instances, and the only way to get it right was to focus the camera on anything but Lee'.

Susskind gave a preview party in NYC. Ingrid Bergman and Johnny Carson walked out. 'Johnny was offended by the command of the rich and famous' . Said Capote ' It had more to do with his professionalism. He resented the idea that a young lady like that , who was not a professional actress, could star in an expensive production like that'. 'And justifiably so, ' said Susskind.

by Anonymousreply 206April 6, 2015 10:04 PM

When did Julia start using?

by Anonymousreply 207April 6, 2015 10:09 PM

R207 using what? People? I think from the get-go. She used her brother to get into acting.

by Anonymousreply 208April 6, 2015 10:16 PM

R208 I think r207 means heroin.

by Anonymousreply 209April 6, 2015 10:18 PM

I meant drugs. I don't think heroin was her first drug of choice.

by Anonymousreply 210April 6, 2015 10:24 PM

Ju-Li-A ,

Ju-Li-A

Ju-Li-A

Ju-Li-A

Ju-Li-A

Ju-Li-A

Ju-Li-A

by Anonymousreply 211April 6, 2015 10:48 PM

RUFIO!

by Anonymousreply 212April 6, 2015 10:58 PM

If it hadn't been for Jackie, no one would have ever heard of Lee. Yet, she seems to resent her sister for stealing her thunder.

by Anonymousreply 213April 7, 2015 1:37 PM

How people forget what a skank Julia Roberts was/is!! If Lee Radziwell made her cry, good for Lee Radziwell.

by Anonymousreply 214April 7, 2015 1:40 PM

Charlie: we're dying to know what your more serious career is/was.

And, Andre Oliver wasn't that fabulous. I remember neckties, sweaters and cords in myriad pastel colors. I much preferred Louis of Boston across the street even though it was there for a short time.

And, didn't Carter Burden ("must they be our burdens?") die of AIDS? He was quite the epicene married man.

I'm sure Babe and Amanda and Bunny all referred to you behind your back, of course, as that "ribbon clerk" or that "little shop fag". That's how those society dames/fag hags are.

And, next time you see Amada why not suggest to her that she go sell real estate in Hom, Syria? Must she still be our burden?

by Anonymousreply 215April 7, 2015 3:09 PM

Carter believed that one should be epicene and not heard.

by Anonymousreply 216April 7, 2015 7:39 PM

I would like to see someone try to pull that on Julia today.

by Anonymousreply 217April 7, 2015 8:10 PM

The Julia of 1989 is different from the Julia of today.

by Anonymousreply 218April 7, 2015 8:12 PM

Julia Roberts rocks and still rules.

by Anonymousreply 219April 7, 2015 8:25 PM

I must be the only person who doesn't think Radziwill was a great beauty? She was pretty and managed to starve her way into a fabulous set of cheekbones.

by Anonymousreply 220April 8, 2015 8:21 PM

R220 you are not alone. I don't see what the fuss is about. I don't think she was prettier than Jackie was, they just looked different from each other.. She's deffinately no Ava Gardner or Marilyn Monroe, she isn't as pretty as any of the stars from the 50s and 60s.

by Anonymousreply 221April 8, 2015 8:35 PM

Wait, there was a "royal command performance" for Steel Magnolias? Why? No Brit actors, not made in the UK, had nothing to do with the UK.

by Anonymousreply 222April 8, 2015 8:40 PM

From the current Hollywood Reporter:

Interviewer: You had a legendary aversion to Jackie O.'s sister, Princess Lee Radziwill. What was it that set you off?

Liz Smith: Well, she did something terrible. She was always a close friend of Truman Capote's. But then Capote got embroiled in that ridiculous libel suit with Gore Vidal over his claim that Vidal had been drunkenly kicked out of the White House. Lee is the one who told Capote the story, but when it ended up in court, she threw him to the wolves. All she had to do was tell the truth. But she refused, and Truman lost the lawsuit, which devastated him. During the trial, as a last-ditch effort, he asked me to call her and beg her to testify. And you know, Truman had done everything for her. He even tried to help her start an acting career. But when I called her and said, "Lee, you really must testify for Truman," she said, "Oh, Liz, what do we care; they're just a couple of fags! They're disgusting." I was so stunned, I just hung up. I've never spoken to her since.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223April 8, 2015 10:17 PM

Jackie had glamour and polish and knew how to wear clothes.

Lee had the clothes and the make-up and the skinny body but lacked Jackie's charisma. More of a high gloss, jet set version of Nancy Reagan. Hopefully, her blow jobs were as good as Nancy's, though sadly her acting skills were even more non-existent.

by Anonymousreply 224April 9, 2015 2:53 AM

I live for threads like this...

by Anonymousreply 225April 14, 2015 3:50 AM

[quote]More of a high gloss, jet set version of Nancy Reagan.

Excellent description.

by Anonymousreply 226April 14, 2015 4:39 AM

by Anonymousreply 227October 23, 2015 10:57 AM

Faux Princess Radziwell is a superficial cunt. However, it's ridiculous that she was NOT seated next to her husband at a premier. OK for a receiving line or a photo op, but a wife is seated next to her husband for a performance.

I'm glad she was obstinate at that event. Good for her.

by Anonymousreply 228October 23, 2015 11:53 AM

I love this story.

by Anonymousreply 229October 27, 2015 2:27 AM

[quote]In the same way that the Royal Family gives out knighthoods...there should be an official body that gives out the official title of Cunt.

It's called the Order of the Datalounge Cunt Squad. We gather in a graveyard at the coming of every blood moon, where we throw wine in each other's faces and chant prayers to our Holiest of Holies: Cunt Saint Bar Bush.

Lee is definitely one of our deities, but as we chant: "No one cunts like Bar Bush. NO ONE."

by Anonymousreply 230October 27, 2015 3:24 AM

Hey Top Ramen Noodle King, throwaway child, working class at best. Get a sense of priveleged and the sad side with Lee's interview.

Unlike your do nothing parents, parents who live their lives leave a mark.

So stfu in the pasta noodle draining g thread, ya peasant

by Anonymousreply 231October 27, 2015 4:26 AM

[quote]so she was always 'Radziwell' and never 'Ross' though she was Herbert's wife now. '

My mother goes by the name of her first husband... so she shares the same last name as her children. Similarly, both of Lee's children were Radziwells.

I don't think this is a sin.

by Anonymousreply 232October 27, 2015 5:27 AM

When I dined with her and Herbert I addressed her as Mrs. Ross. Coincidentally, Miss Ross, Diana, was a few tables away. This took place at Cipriani in New York in the mid 90s.

by Anonymousreply 233October 27, 2015 6:17 AM

PS. I am sure she thought I was a peasant. But a useful one as I controlled a property Herbert wanted to direct.

by Anonymousreply 234October 27, 2015 6:20 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 235May 29, 2016 4:14 AM

I sat next to Herb and Lee at the Mike Nichols/Steve Martin/Robin Williams production of Waiting for Godot in 1988. Before the curtain, he was clearly checking out my male friend. She was silently staring off into space and so skinny and brittle I was concerned she might snap in two with the slightest movement. This was more memorable than the production on-stage.

by Anonymousreply 236May 29, 2016 6:20 AM

by Anonymousreply 237August 24, 2016 1:12 AM

I thank Lee. I learned from her. That night was educational.

by Anonymousreply 238October 23, 2016 7:04 PM

I wish someone could contact Lee now, while she's still living, and tell her that we know all about the Billy Baldwin decorating story, and we all think she's a cunt for doing that, and that her taste is horrible.

by Anonymousreply 239October 23, 2016 7:38 PM

If you spoke to any of the old gay theatre crowd, they all said that Herbert Ross was gay, period. Not bi, not Omni, not metro, and certainly not hetero. He cruised men, he came on to men, he had sex with men. He even let Tom Skerritt in that ballet movie Ross directed (The Turning Point) allude to his wife's enabling him to be "straight." It's couched in slightly ambiguous terms, but it's unmistakable.

As for the Nora Kaye thing, they were very close, so who knows? Can a gay man get so emotionally comfortable with a woman that the two can make something important out of their bond?

The real mystery is why Ross married Radziwill. He wasn't an idiot, so he knew she wanted him for his money. And she really was one of the worst cunts of all time. If Ross had to marry, couldn't he have chosen someone pleasant? There are plenty around.

Was it social climbing?

by Anonymousreply 240October 23, 2016 10:20 PM

Maybe he was trying to get to the Kennedys somehow.

by Anonymousreply 241October 24, 2016 12:31 AM

I want more stories about Lee's behavior! I'm lovin' this.

by Anonymousreply 242October 24, 2016 12:32 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 243November 27, 2018 12:51 PM

Bye-bye Baby!

by Anonymousreply 244February 17, 2019 1:49 PM

This was the most epic Lee thread on DL. Loved it!

by Anonymousreply 245February 17, 2019 1:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!