Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

James Badge Dale Father Was Anthony Perkins Gay Lover

Will any journalist have the guts to ask James Badge Dale about his father (Grover Dale) TORRID decades long gay affair with Anthony Perkins?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100April 13, 2021 12:51 PM

TORRID? Over-wrought much, OP?

by Anonymousreply 1June 10, 2018 3:01 PM

R1 Grover Dale and Anthony Perkins were a couple who loved together for multiple years.

by Anonymousreply 2June 10, 2018 3:02 PM

From 2016 DL - Can Trump win Ohio, PA, FL and NC?

Majority of DLers said no. But Trump swept all four states

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 10, 2018 3:07 PM

Opps wrong thread - sorry

by Anonymousreply 4June 10, 2018 3:08 PM

Yes, I'm aware of this, r2. What I'm questioning is the OP's all-caps TORRID, like some 1950s movie magazine. They were legit long-term lovers.

Why would any reporter, with or without guts, question Dale's adult son about this.

by Anonymousreply 5June 10, 2018 3:10 PM

What does that have to do with the son, though, OP? You pose your question as if James Badge Dale is actively HIDING something about his own personal life.

Does any reporter ever ask Tyne or Tim Daly about THEIR famous actor father's "decades long torrid affair" with some dude in the Valley? They even set up house together, and actually was a quiet scandal when the dad died and left the house to the partner, and the Widow Daly and both her children contested the will.

by Anonymousreply 6June 10, 2018 3:12 PM

[quote] Why would any reporter, with or without guts, question Dale's adult son about this.

because they are making a movie about the Tab Hunter/Anthony Perkins/Grover Dale HOT and PASSIONATE and TORRID love triangle in the "Confidential" magazine era?

by Anonymousreply 7June 10, 2018 3:13 PM

[quote] Does any reporter ever ask Tyne or Tim Daly about THEIR famous actor father's "decades long torrid affair" with some dude in the Valley?

Actually they have.

by Anonymousreply 8June 10, 2018 3:13 PM

I agree, what does his dad's relationships have to do with him.

by Anonymousreply 9June 10, 2018 3:13 PM

Dale and Perkins were both in the cast of GREENWILLOW in 1960. The following year, Grover Dale was in SAIL AWAY with Elaine Stritch. I wonder if Tony and Grover partied with Stritchie and Noel Coward. Now THAT would've been a fun evening

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 10, 2018 3:13 PM

[quote] I agree, what does his dad's relationships have to do with him.

Because they are making a movie about it

by Anonymousreply 11June 10, 2018 3:14 PM

HOT and PASSIONATE and TORRID? OP, I presume. "They" are making a movie, to be sure, but I doubt they would expect James Badge Dale to know very much about a HOT and PASSIONATE and, yes, TORRID affair and/or threesome that occurred before his birth. Given your bodice-ripping adjectives, maybe you should seek out a reporter.

I believe you may be dimwitted.

by Anonymousreply 12June 10, 2018 3:17 PM

I love Grover in Half a Sixpence, Molly Brown and Rochefort. Anthony was so astoundingly lucky.

The son looks enormously good looking. But does he have any of his parents' talent?

by Anonymousreply 13June 10, 2018 3:18 PM

[quote] I doubt they would expect James Badge Dale to know very much about a HOT and PASSIONATE and, yes, TORRID affair and/or threesome that occurred before his birth

What if they offer him the part to play his own father in the movie? I mean he was in the sex addict movie "Shame"

by Anonymousreply 14June 10, 2018 3:19 PM

Fine, OP, it's your ridiculous fantasy--have at it. What if "they" do offer him the part? What if he agrees? What if a reporter asks him about his dead father's long-ago TORRID etc. affairs? What, oh what, will James Badge Dale say or do if that cataclysmic event occurs?

by Anonymousreply 15June 10, 2018 3:32 PM

[quote] What if "they" do offer him the part? What if he agrees? What if a reporter asks him about his dead father's long-ago TORRID etc. affairs? What, oh what, will James Badge Dale say or do if that cataclysmic event occurs?

Yeah so let's talk about it

by Anonymousreply 16June 10, 2018 3:39 PM

is this op a tiny bit unhinged?

by Anonymousreply 17June 10, 2018 3:41 PM

[quote] is this op a tiny bit unhinged?

So you think their relationship was platonic? That they were just friends?

by Anonymousreply 18June 10, 2018 3:43 PM

No. Of course they were lovers. So what? What sort of speculation about the son do you want to indulge in?

Maybe more than a tiny bit unhinged.....

by Anonymousreply 19June 10, 2018 3:45 PM

Anthony Perkins had a torrid affair with a Muppet?

by Anonymousreply 20June 10, 2018 3:46 PM

TORRID, r20. Not to mention HOT and PASSIONATE.

It was a scandale, I tell you. The OP hasn't been the same since.

by Anonymousreply 21June 10, 2018 3:48 PM

Carrie Fisher, when she was alive, got asked all the time about Liz Taylor breaking up her parents marriage. So if Carrie gets asked about Liz, why shouldn't James he asked about Perkins?

by Anonymousreply 22June 10, 2018 3:49 PM

I'm sure it's the question on everyone's lips, OP.

by Anonymousreply 23June 10, 2018 3:55 PM

[quote] I'm sure it's the question on everyone's lips, OP.

With the movie coming out of Anthony Perkins various affairs, the question will come up to James Badge Dale face by reporters.

by Anonymousreply 24June 10, 2018 3:56 PM

[quote]the Widow Daly and both her children contested the will.

And didn't they deny the romantic relationship acting as if the two were just friends and the man lost the house? It wasn't until Tim wrote his book that he openly spoke about his father being gay.

Other than Tab Hunter saying Dale and Perkins were a couple --which I believe wholeheartedly -- there isn't further "proof" so Badge were to be asked he would probably do as Cary Grant's daughter has done and deny knowledge of his father being gay.

Grover is still alive. I wonder what he thinks of this film.

by Anonymousreply 25June 10, 2018 3:57 PM

Was it TAWDRY, OP?

by Anonymousreply 26June 10, 2018 3:59 PM

[quote] Other than Tab Hunter saying Dale and Perkins were a couple --which I believe wholeheartedly -- there isn't further "proof"

There is a whole book written about their relationship Read - Split Image: The Life of Anthony Perkins

by Anonymousreply 27June 10, 2018 4:00 PM

What happened after that Boy Scouts Supreme Court case? Did he become a meth head?

by Anonymousreply 28June 10, 2018 4:00 PM

There is indeed a "whole book" about Perkins (in fact, there are two). From his breathless writing style, I'm guessing the OP may be a tween.

by Anonymousreply 29June 10, 2018 4:03 PM

Grover and Carol being telethonic.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30June 10, 2018 4:05 PM

However, to claim there's a "whole book" written about Perkins' and Dale's relationship is more than an exaggeration--it's a complete untruth.

by Anonymousreply 31June 10, 2018 4:05 PM

R31 have you read the book?

by Anonymousreply 32June 10, 2018 4:06 PM

yes.

by Anonymousreply 33June 10, 2018 4:12 PM

R33 then who is Helen Merrill?

by Anonymousreply 34June 10, 2018 4:13 PM

Was any vicious slapping involved?

by Anonymousreply 35June 10, 2018 4:13 PM

Carol's sister. r34?

by Anonymousreply 36June 10, 2018 4:27 PM

Grover Dale teaching young dancers Jerome Robbins West Side Story choreography

For his age, he still has the moves down pat

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37June 10, 2018 4:27 PM

He once said he felt too nervous around women, and resisted actresses Jane Fonda and Brigitte Bardot, who had tried to seduce him during his youth. He was a very shy actor, especially in women's company. According to an unauthorized biography by Charles Winecoff, he had affairs with Christopher Makos, actor Tab Hunter, dancer Rudolf Nureyev, composer/lyricist Stephen Sondheim and dancer-choreographer Grover Dale (for about 6 years, around '72-'73) prior to marrying Berenson. He had his first intimate heterosexual experience at the age of 39 while working on the 1972 film The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean with an actress who also appeared in the film. Perkins declined to identify the actress, but "other sources" have identified her as Victoria Principal; Principal confirmed this in a People magazine article about Perkins.

Perkins died on September 12, 1992, from complications of AIDS. He was cremated, and his ashes were given to his family. His widow, Berry Berenson, was killed on American Airlines Flight 11 during the September 11 terrorist attacks in 2001.

by Anonymousreply 38June 10, 2018 4:27 PM

Grover Dale is still living at 82. I guess he must have been the top since he didnt get AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 39June 10, 2018 4:29 PM

Grover has always been a dim bulb w a great body.

by Anonymousreply 40June 10, 2018 4:30 PM

Grover Dale was living together with Larry Kert (Original Tony in West Side Story) when Anthony Perkins broke them up.

by Anonymousreply 41June 10, 2018 4:58 PM

So Grover wanted his own child when he married Morris and loved her but was not in love with her?

She was a knockout and there was a strong possibility something good would come of it.

by Anonymousreply 42June 10, 2018 6:20 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43June 10, 2018 6:24 PM

Mother and Child Reunion

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44June 10, 2018 6:25 PM

Nobody in a million years would think they were father and biological son....

by Anonymousreply 45June 10, 2018 6:27 PM

[quote] So Grover wanted his own child when he married Morris and loved her but was not in love with her?

I can't remember if it was Tab's book or some Boze Hasleigh type book but reportedly Perkins went to a therapist who advised he and Dale to marry women and within days of each other Tony married Berry Berenson and Dale Anita Morris.

by Anonymousreply 46June 10, 2018 9:04 PM

In the Chorus Line tapes, Michael Bennett told the story about how Grover Dale tried to seduce him when he was a young chorus dancer. It was said that this story loosened everyone up sufficiently (that and the pot) so that the stories started flowing. Also, Bennett almost cast Anita Morris as Cassie in the Broadway replacement cast.

by Anonymousreply 47June 10, 2018 9:11 PM

James Badge is a hot piece of

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48June 10, 2018 9:50 PM

r34, I assume you must be the tiresome OP. Please don't think I'm going to spend my evening being quizzed by you. H. Merrill was a theatrical agent (Perkins' as well as many others). The two of them had something of a symbiotic relationship for many years, and I believe he lived in her apt/house for at least one period of time.

r46, the therapist was Mildred Newman, who had a large gay and bi clientele in NY in the 60s and apparently did counsel at least some to "go straight." She and her husband wrote a couple of pop psychology self-help books, including How to Be Your Own Best Friend.

by Anonymousreply 49June 10, 2018 11:13 PM

Who cares about the father. James Badge Dale is a gay boy himself.

by Anonymousreply 50June 10, 2018 11:16 PM

R49 Helen Merrill was NOT Perkins theatrical agent, nor was she EVER a theatrical agent

so much for you reading the book about Anthony Perkins

by Anonymousreply 51June 11, 2018 12:07 AM

R51 knows EVERYTHING

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52June 11, 2018 12:10 AM

I miss Anita Morris. Amazing lady.

by Anonymousreply 53June 11, 2018 12:11 AM

R52 that is not what the Book on Anthony Perkins Split Image claimed.

It said she WAS NOT Perkins agent and that she was a LITERARY agent.

by Anonymousreply 54June 11, 2018 12:13 AM

Then you're both wrong. Helen Merrill was a LEGENDARY theatrical agent.

by Anonymousreply 55June 11, 2018 12:15 AM

[quote] Then you're both wrong. Helen Merrill was a LEGENDARY theatrical agent.

That is not what the book said, it stated clearly she was a literary agent.

by Anonymousreply 56June 11, 2018 12:18 AM

what a minute now I understand. According to the book, Perkins kicked her out but gave her 100K settlement, which used to start her agency.

So the book says she re-invented herself as a Literary/Theatrical agent. But she was NEVER Perkins agent, and only became an agent after her break-up with Perkins.

So now that makes sense. But to clear she was NEVER Perkins agent.

by Anonymousreply 57June 11, 2018 12:21 AM

Really, does anyone other than r51/OP give a flying fart about the minutiae of Ms. Merrill's life? I am honestly a little concerned about his juvenile obsession with Perkins et al.

Btw, I read the book about a dozen years ago and didn't cherish every detail. I'm amazed I remembered Merrill at all.

by Anonymousreply 58June 11, 2018 12:44 AM

R58 then why are you on this thread?

by Anonymousreply 59June 11, 2018 12:49 AM

I have no idea. So long, putz.

by Anonymousreply 60June 11, 2018 12:52 AM

[quote] I have no idea. So long, putz.

Good riddence

by Anonymousreply 61June 11, 2018 12:54 AM

R50 unfortunately that’s not true

by Anonymousreply 62June 11, 2018 1:08 AM

Molly Brown

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63June 11, 2018 1:10 AM

I thought Stephen Paley was Perkins’ true love.

by Anonymousreply 64June 11, 2018 1:11 AM

Anita Morris could've turned me straight.

by Anonymousreply 65June 11, 2018 1:33 AM

I fucked Tony Perkins too. He had a thing for Grovers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66June 11, 2018 1:37 AM

I love Martita Hunt.

by Anonymousreply 67June 11, 2018 1:47 AM

What if James Badge Dale gets offered the part to play his father (Grover Dale) in the movie?

by Anonymousreply 68September 26, 2018 12:43 AM

Why didn't Bennet ever cast Morris as Cassie?

by Anonymousreply 69September 26, 2018 12:51 AM

In what movie, r68?

by Anonymousreply 70September 26, 2018 1:15 AM

Why'd Anita marry him?

by Anonymousreply 71September 26, 2018 1:21 AM

R6, Tyne Daly went to court to challenge her mother trying to prevent her father's partner from being screwed out of his inheritance. The court ruled in the partner's favor.

by Anonymousreply 72September 26, 2018 1:25 AM

Wow - interesting family the Dalys! I can’t imagine Tyne and her mother had much of a relationship after that. How old were Tyne and Tim when this was going on?

by Anonymousreply 73September 26, 2018 11:43 AM

What I wonder is whose TORRID Gay Lover James Badge Dale might happen to be.

by Anonymousreply 74September 26, 2018 11:51 AM

R6 Tim Daly talked about his dad's homosexuality in an interview on Sunday Morning a couple of years ago.

by Anonymousreply 75September 26, 2018 12:18 PM

[quote]Good riddence

It’s good RIDDANCE, R61/OP

Learn to SPELL

Perhaps you should BUY a DICTIONARY

by Anonymousreply 76September 26, 2018 12:42 PM

JBD is 40 years old and has never been publicly in a relationship with a woman.

by Anonymousreply 77September 26, 2018 12:48 PM

Dale was incredibly cute and a spectacular dancer in Half a Sixpence and as you can see in Molly Brown above which is one of the best dance numbers in a movie musical. For a non dancer Reynolds could really dance. I believe the other dancer is the very handsome Makos. I bet these guys slept with whomever they wanted to in their prime and who could blame them.

Dancers today next to these people don't come close because they don't have the style and never will. It can't be taught.

by Anonymousreply 78September 26, 2018 2:45 PM

I don't think it's accurate to call Debbie a non-dancer. How can a non-dancer "really dance"?

by Anonymousreply 79September 26, 2018 2:52 PM

JBD is out and openly gay and has been for a long while R77.

by Anonymousreply 80September 26, 2018 2:59 PM

I guess I meant she wasn't trained as a dancer much like Tamblyn who I think is still spectacular in 7B47B and WSS.

by Anonymousreply 81September 26, 2018 3:12 PM

Anita Morris dancing to a medly from "Gypsy" at the Tony Awards

This dancing shows off her moves

How could she marry a gay guy, she could get any straight she wanted.

Go 53 Minutes into video to see her dance chops

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82September 26, 2018 3:22 PM

Anita's finest moment, A Call from the Vatican, from the original production of the Broadway musical Nine. Thommie Walsh was the show's choreographer but in fact Grover staged this number for his wife uncredited.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83September 26, 2018 6:04 PM

Apart from the license from the state, marriage is whatever the two people decide they want it to be. And whatever their relationship was, or wasn't, I remember hearing at the time that they loved each other very much.

by Anonymousreply 84September 26, 2018 6:15 PM

[quote] I remember hearing at the time that they loved each other very much.

The problem with this is that Anita Morris is a WOMAN and her husband was gay.

by Anonymousreply 85September 26, 2018 6:19 PM

Which means.....what, r85? That they couldn't love each other very much?

by Anonymousreply 86September 26, 2018 6:35 PM

Really, r85, you need to reconsider your response.

by Anonymousreply 87September 26, 2018 6:45 PM

There are a couple of women in my life that I “love” more than anyone and could be compatible with. Just not sexually. Maybe they generally had their priorities on the emotional bonds of love rather than the physical? Maybe sex wasn’t that important? To some people it isn’t. They still managed to bring a child into the world together anyway.

by Anonymousreply 88September 26, 2018 8:11 PM

I think this is only a "problem" for r85. It doesn't seem to have troubled Dale and Morris.

by Anonymousreply 89September 26, 2018 8:21 PM

No way, you lie! Dale, Perkins, and Daly were married with kids! No way gay, just wishful thinking again on your part.

by Anonymousreply 90September 26, 2018 8:59 PM

[quote]JBD is out and openly gay and has been for a long while

Really? There's nothing online.

by Anonymousreply 91September 26, 2018 9:04 PM

What, he was supposed to register?

by Anonymousreply 92September 26, 2018 11:19 PM

Odd that there's nothing online about his orientation, even Wiki says nothing.

by Anonymousreply 93September 26, 2018 11:52 PM

Nope you’re right. I was sure I remember him doing interviews and coming out. But I conflated him with the similar looking and very out actor Andrew Scott who plays Moriarty on “Sherlock”. My apologies to R77/all

by Anonymousreply 94September 27, 2018 6:02 AM

I always found it sort of inspiring how Anita Morris had been diagnosed with ovarian cancer and given a short time to live like two years before "Nine". So all her success with that and later on came with her knowing her time was limited.

by Anonymousreply 95September 27, 2018 6:16 AM

A family pic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96September 27, 2018 6:23 AM

A nice tribute from the cast of Nine after Anita's death.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97September 27, 2018 6:26 AM

I'm resurrecting this old thread because nobody mentioned how hot James Badge Dale is in World War Z. He's the army sergeant (lieutenant?) in South Korea who is bitten and has to shoot himself.

No skin, but he comes off as incredibly masculine.

I bring this up because so many of you (no, not all) might have seen WWZ without realizing that one of the actors is the son of a very likable gay performer. He was terrific in Sail Away, so good that Noel Coward brought him over (with Elaine "Always a Problem" Stritch) for the London run.

by Anonymousreply 98April 13, 2021 12:15 PM

I wonder what Grover Dale and Stephen Sondheim have to say about one another.

by Anonymousreply 99April 13, 2021 12:27 PM

Actually, now that you mention it, R99, I wonder what Grover Dale thought when they brought Larry Kert in to replace Dean Jones in Company.

Hal Prince was in a bind and had to move fast. True, Kert was the right type, but he wasn't much of an actor.

Did Grover Dale think the role would have been safer in his hands? I personally think Dale was a lot more magnetic than Kert, but that's my personal opinion.

And Dale was in West Side Story, so Prince would have known about him.

by Anonymousreply 100April 13, 2021 12:51 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!