Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Toni Collette will win the Academy Award as Best Actress for Hereditary.

Will bump this next year after she wins, chide you all for being mean and be a gentleman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155December 15, 2018 6:36 PM

Did any DLers see this?

by Anonymousreply 1June 8, 2018 2:29 AM

People don't win Oscars for horror movies. This is just hype.

by Anonymousreply 2June 8, 2018 2:30 AM

Fuck you, R2.

by Anonymousreply 3June 8, 2018 2:32 AM

I'm looking forward to seeing this

by Anonymousreply 4June 8, 2018 2:32 AM

Anthony Hopkins won the Oscar for Hannibal Lecter

by Anonymousreply 5June 8, 2018 2:32 AM

The movie is being treated as much more than a horror movie. Keep up R2.

by Anonymousreply 6June 8, 2018 2:34 AM

Please. Every year A24 releases a horror movie that's overhyped as a new horror classic or the scariest movie since The Exorcist and it's ALWAY bullshit. None of them have been the least bit scary and most of them just downright sucked. (It Comes at Night, anyone?) Same old hype as always.

by Anonymousreply 7June 8, 2018 2:36 AM

Sure

by Anonymousreply 8June 8, 2018 2:43 AM

A lot of sites like Jezebel really oversold it so there's no way it can live up to the hype.

by Anonymousreply 9June 8, 2018 2:43 AM

Don’t start posts with ‘Please.’ It’s old tacky and beneath us. Hereditary is more than the company releasing it or its genre.

The difference here is that the movie operates on two tracks, one a family tragedy, the other a ritual based exercise in the occult.

And it has a screenplay with enough meat for great performances.

But I’m thrilled the thread is getting exactly the response I anticipated. I wish we could gamble real money here.

by Anonymousreply 10June 8, 2018 2:47 AM

[quote] Don’t start posts with ‘Please.’ It’s old tacky and beneath us. Hereditary is more than the company releasing it or its genre.

Please. Go fuck yourself. You tight assed. Motherfucker.

by Anonymousreply 11June 8, 2018 2:50 AM

R10

Please. Learn some punctuation, buffoon.

by Anonymousreply 12June 8, 2018 2:52 AM

You’re terrible Muriel

by Anonymousreply 13June 8, 2018 2:53 AM

I agree with your opinion on the movie, though, R10.

by Anonymousreply 14June 8, 2018 2:53 AM

Little bit tense R11? A little bit spooked R12?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 8, 2018 2:54 AM

People who ramble about horror movies being overhyped and not as scary as the critics said, wahhh , are always the worlds biggest fucking bores

by Anonymousreply 16June 8, 2018 2:54 AM

She’s been underrated for years, and should have won for Sixth Sense. I’m very interested in seeing this, and would seriously root for an Oscar win if it’s a great performance. It’s definitely the best reviewed female performance so far this year. Every single review has been an unqualified rave for her.

by Anonymousreply 17June 8, 2018 3:02 AM

R10 here. My punctuation? I’m on my back in the dark in bed with a West Highland Terrier sprawled across my stomach. Lawrence O’Donnell is pontificating in the background. I’m typing with one thumb on an iPhone.

Sorry my editor isn’t here tonight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 8, 2018 3:03 AM

I will hold back my predictions until the latest Andrea Riseborough and Marion Cotillard films are released.

by Anonymousreply 19June 8, 2018 3:05 AM

Anyone else see it tonight? Seemed like a lot of DLers laughing their way (unintentional laughs) through it in Chelsea tonight.

by Anonymousreply 20June 8, 2018 3:10 AM

I've seen it three times now and there are a lot of intentional laughs -- I think the movie walks a fine line between absurdism and devastation. You're meant to not know how to react so we laugh nervously. Anyway I think it's brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 21June 8, 2018 3:13 AM

We are blessed to have an actress like T. C -- she's so great

by Anonymousreply 22June 8, 2018 3:15 AM

Seen it - meh...kinda a fucked up story and felt a lil blair witch.

by Anonymousreply 23June 8, 2018 3:19 AM

its sooo good n scarey.. saw at preview. people were screaming. gr8 fun!!!

by Anonymousreply 24June 8, 2018 3:31 AM

And we’ve got our first ‘meh.’ Period.

by Anonymousreply 25June 8, 2018 3:33 AM

No. I think the competition will be tough this year, especially with Emma Thompson giving another great repressed performance:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 8, 2018 4:16 AM

R18 She needs a make-up artist and a hairstylist real bad!

by Anonymousreply 27June 8, 2018 4:31 AM

And the Oscar goes to....

Glenn Close for The Wife.

by Anonymousreply 28June 8, 2018 4:35 AM

Adorable, R28.

by Anonymousreply 29June 8, 2018 3:58 PM

yum-ooooooooooooo

by Anonymousreply 30June 8, 2018 8:06 PM

I could see this happening.

by Anonymousreply 31June 8, 2018 8:09 PM

I saw the movie an hour ago.

Great movie. Marvelously FUCKED UP.

Toni is tearing up the screen. She deserves a nomination for Best Actress.

by Anonymousreply 32June 9, 2018 4:46 AM

I just read the synopsis on wikipedia. Mother of God it sounds scary and depressing af. Why would anyone want to see a movie like that?!?!?

by Anonymousreply 33June 9, 2018 5:03 AM

Because most people aren’t pussies r33

by Anonymousreply 34June 9, 2018 5:11 AM

I saw it today. I thought it was an ok film. Collete's performance was the best part of the movie. The actor playing the son was quite awful and I didn't Gabriel Byrne in this.

by Anonymousreply 35June 9, 2018 5:25 AM

I think because of the genuine success of Get Out and the much overhyped Quiet Thing, it is the fashion now to overhype and critically acclaim horror films. She’s one of my favourite actresses and I’ll bet she’s great in it but still - it’s a way of promoting these films to a more sophisticated audience and making them must see films.

by Anonymousreply 36June 9, 2018 6:50 AM

I want spoilers so I can save my time and money.

by Anonymousreply 37June 9, 2018 6:54 AM

Please. r30 enough with the yum-ooo.

by Anonymousreply 38June 9, 2018 11:05 AM

I think she will get a nomination. She probably should have won supporting for 6th Sense. Glenn I think is the favorite right now, depending on how good Ronan is as Mary Queen of Scots.

by Anonymousreply 39June 9, 2018 12:51 PM

Saoirse Ronan is an overrated actress.

by Anonymousreply 40June 9, 2018 1:46 PM

Agreed r40.

I thought her performance in Ladybird was an after school special piece of crap.

by Anonymousreply 41June 9, 2018 1:49 PM

What about Viola Davis in Widows?

by Anonymousreply 42June 9, 2018 1:49 PM

R41 I liked her in Lady Bird. But, I didn't think it was worth of an Oscar nomination.

by Anonymousreply 43June 9, 2018 1:56 PM

R37-- Wikipedia almost always has a very detailed plot synopsis of movies and plays, usually a few days after they are released.

by Anonymousreply 44June 9, 2018 2:16 PM

r13 isn't it "your terrible Muriel"

by Anonymousreply 45June 9, 2018 2:20 PM

Just google hereditary spoilers - and you will get it.

by Anonymousreply 46June 9, 2018 2:34 PM

Someone's really trying to make this movie happen. It's on track for a paltry $12m this weekend, and that's on almost 3000 screens. Yet Box Office Mojo laughably calls that "strong." The Bye Bye Man did better business.

by Anonymousreply 47June 9, 2018 4:45 PM

^^ And on fewer screens.

by Anonymousreply 48June 9, 2018 4:45 PM

[quote]The Bye Bye Man did better business.

And yet Faye Dunaway was ROBBED of an Oscar nomination!

by Anonymousreply 49June 9, 2018 4:53 PM

Saiorse deserves nothing simply because of her ridiculous unpronounceable name. You’re not in The potato fields of Ireland anymore bitch! Change it to something we can deal with.

by Anonymousreply 50June 9, 2018 5:00 PM

Well Ronan will def get a nomination for MQS which will be her 4th nomination, I'd like for her win just so she can out do JLaw.

by Anonymousreply 51June 9, 2018 5:07 PM

[quote]"Someone's really trying to make this movie happen."

Maybe people who like well-made, thoughtful, well-acted genre films? Maybe the measuring stick we should measure success by isn't the one that elevates The Bye Bye Man to aspiration? People who value box office numbers are grotesques

by Anonymousreply 52June 9, 2018 5:15 PM

It's going polarize audiences. I thought it was one of the better art-y horror movies that have recently come out. There are a few moments that really disturbed me and will stay with me for awhile. Collette is brilliant and I wouldn't be upset if she was nominated.

The movie sorta gets goofy towards the end, but I'll give them props for at least having an ending and trying to explain what the fuck was going on. One of my big pet peeves is when supernatural horror movies just end and never explain what the fuck we just saw. Endings like the original Halloween or Black Christmas work for me, because they leave you with a sense of dread, but when it's a supernatural horror movie like this, you better fucking explain yourself by the end.

by Anonymousreply 53June 9, 2018 5:16 PM

I hated the ending on Thursday night when I left, but I have been thinking about this movie nonstop since I left it, and while I still hate the ending, I realized just how much I really loved/admired the film. The direction, the attention to detail in the set and the miniatures, Toni Collette and Ann Dowd: really first-rate work.

by Anonymousreply 54June 9, 2018 8:09 PM

[quote]The movie sorta gets goofy towards the end, but I'll give them props for at least having an ending and trying to explain what the fuck was going on. One of my big pet peeves is when supernatural horror movies just end and never explain what the fuck we just saw. Endings like the original Halloween or Black Christmas work for me, because they leave you with a sense of dread, but when it's a supernatural horror movie like this, you better fucking explain yourself by the end.

I thought it the ending was sort of WTF. Then I thought about the things that were mentioned earlier the in movie about Collette's mother and daughter and I also read the wikipedia article which mentioned details that Collette mentioned about her mother early on the film that I sort of forgot about at the end. The early details about the mom and daughter made it a lot of sense at the end. The movie did drive into the fact that some people never know enough about their own parents and that can bite them in the ass. I wish there would have been a better explanation as to why Collette's mother favored the daughter and wished she was a boy, when yet she already had a grandson.

by Anonymousreply 55June 9, 2018 8:26 PM

I just came back from seeing it. I've never before bought the idea of paid shills on here, but after seeing this, I'm willing to believe it. This movie was execrably bad and boring and completely not scary or creepy or much of anything. Yes, Collette was good, but when isn't she? It's not enough.

by Anonymousreply 56June 9, 2018 9:36 PM

I want Toni Collette to play Rose in a new film of Gypsy.

by Anonymousreply 57June 9, 2018 9:49 PM

Nobody is paid to shill the 10s of readers of Datalounge r55

by Anonymousreply 58June 9, 2018 10:04 PM

Collette's performance is striking. A lot of screaming, crying and throwing her body around. She rarely lets up for the entire movie.

The movie is clumsy and suffers from a lack of audience connection with any of the character. Everyone is so homely and depressing, you will don't give a damn what happens to them.

The ending is not surprising or shocking. Just absurd.

by Anonymousreply 59June 9, 2018 10:16 PM

I will say I was surprised at how good Alex Wolff was. I always think of Nate as the talented one. Alex has given some pretty bad performances in the past, but he pulled it together here. Too bad it was for such a shitty movie.

by Anonymousreply 60June 9, 2018 10:20 PM

Toni Collette as Rose in GYPSY? YES! Now, that's the Gypsy film we deserve. She'd definitely get every award ever invented if she did that for the screen. That'd be a great role for her and I'm positive that she'd sing the shit out of it. She has a great voice.

by Anonymousreply 61June 9, 2018 11:14 PM

It is absurd that Toni hasn't gotten to do a musical yet

by Anonymousreply 62June 10, 2018 2:40 PM

Is it true that Collette had her pen to the contract for "Chicago" but then Weinstein insisted on Zellweger?

by Anonymousreply 63June 10, 2018 2:49 PM

Got a Cinema Score of D+ audiences HATE it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64June 10, 2018 2:51 PM

No scenery goes unchewed in this overhyped B-movie.

by Anonymousreply 65June 10, 2018 3:02 PM

I’d love to have been in the movie theater last night when somebody apparently yelled at her friends “I JUST WANTED TO SEE BOOK CLUB!”

by Anonymousreply 66June 10, 2018 3:14 PM

As long a Lady Fucking Ga Ga doesn't win, I will be happy. Hate her music, hated her in that awful season of AHS, which I couldn't even finish.

by Anonymousreply 67June 10, 2018 4:16 PM

[quote]Got a Cinema Score of D+ audiences HATE it

Audiences always hate horror movies that are actually disturbing these days. Nobody wants to be made truly uncomfortable.

by Anonymousreply 68June 10, 2018 4:26 PM

[quote] Audiences always hate horror movies that are actually disturbing these days. Nobody wants to be made truly uncomfortable.'

Well now ain't that a high pile of horseshit.

by Anonymousreply 69June 10, 2018 4:29 PM

I was interested in seeing this but now I’ve seen some reviews comparing it to The Babadook. No, thank you!

by Anonymousreply 70June 10, 2018 4:42 PM

Melissa McCarthy for "Can You Ever Forgive Me?"

by Anonymousreply 71June 10, 2018 4:42 PM

Carey Mulligan for Wildlife

by Anonymousreply 72June 10, 2018 4:44 PM

Wolf Creek and Bug, both modern classics of feel-bad horror, got F scores from audiences.

by Anonymousreply 73June 10, 2018 5:05 PM

It it has an 8.2 on IMBD from people into movies. Cinema Score is the very valid representation of date night deplorables and the great unwashed masses.

They hate movies like Hereditary and adore Oceans 17.

Ask anyone who ‘hates’ it:

How was the cinematography? Answer will be great. How were the performances? Answer will be great. How was the music score? Answer will be great. How was the editing? Answer will be great. How was the movie? HATED IT!!!!!!!!!

See? They should have gone to Oceans 17.

We’re moving into the 2nd generation of no culture or arts in public schools. So the vast majority of people are culturally illiterate. When an even mildly difficult commercial movie opens general audiences are completely unequipped absorb what they’re seeing. And they go apeshit angry.

The only thing more profoundly depressing than the movie Heredetary are the utterly ignorant audiences who have the cultural bandwidth of a garden slug.

by Anonymousreply 74June 10, 2018 5:12 PM

Toni would have been a great Roxie. Probably the best sung one yet. I actually thought Renee was rather good, though. She surprised me. Whoever suggested Toni for Mama Rose in Gypsy is a genius. She'd be brilliant in that role.

by Anonymousreply 75June 10, 2018 5:18 PM

Well said r74

Except previous generations were as stupid as the latest ones

by Anonymousreply 76June 10, 2018 5:27 PM

Sorry kids, the Emperor has no scares.

by Anonymousreply 77June 10, 2018 5:38 PM

R77, you should feel fortunate that there’s no Witless and Woebegone option on DL.

by Anonymousreply 78June 10, 2018 5:51 PM

Swing and a miss, R78. Try again.

by Anonymousreply 79June 10, 2018 5:56 PM

r77 sounds like Rex Reed swimming in poppers

by Anonymousreply 80June 10, 2018 6:19 PM

I love R74 ! Make me a baby!

by Anonymousreply 81June 10, 2018 6:27 PM

OK R81, you’re a baby.

by Anonymousreply 82June 10, 2018 6:35 PM

I certainly liked it more than Mother and The Witch, which seems like the films it's being linked to a lot. Its out there, but it does at least make sense...in it's own weird, ridiculous way. It's basically two movies - a dark family drama and a 70's Satanic panic movie. It kinda gave me The House of the Devil vibes towards the end, which isn't a bad thing. It's memorably bonkers and I certainly haven't seen anything quite like it. Toni Collette proves that she's one of the bravest, most brilliant actresses of our time. I'd be thrilled if she were to receive an Oscar nom, but I don't know if the weirdness of the movie will play a factor or not. It's not a movie for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 83June 10, 2018 6:45 PM

Saw it Friday night. TC is a powerhouse indeed.

by Anonymousreply 84June 10, 2018 6:53 PM

Anthony Lane at THE NEW YORKER gave it a pretty positive review. So it's in contention for Oscar noms.

by Anonymousreply 85June 10, 2018 8:01 PM

No she fucking won't

by Anonymousreply 86June 10, 2018 8:33 PM

[quote]Wolf Creek and Bug, both modern classics of feel-bad horror, got F scores from audiences.

And both made $7 at the box office COMBINED.

by Anonymousreply 87June 10, 2018 10:46 PM

She will gt a nomination.

by Anonymousreply 88June 10, 2018 10:48 PM

I really want to see it because of all the positive reviews and Toni Collette’s performance, but yikes some of the critics are like, “it actually might be too scary. You can never unsee anything.” Denby said it’s very good and frightening but really very upsetting.

I really liked Rosemary’s Baby, Carrie, and a few of the other excellent 70s horror films. I saw the The Witch a couple of years ago and it seriously scared the shit of me but I also thought it was best movie of the year.

But for some reason I’m hesitating to see this one - I’m scayerd!

Is this movie so great that it’s worth not being able to sleep for a few nights?

by Anonymousreply 89June 10, 2018 11:46 PM

Don’t be a pussy r89

It’s a great film.

by Anonymousreply 90June 10, 2018 11:48 PM

SPOILER ALERT!

R55, Collette's mother favored the daughter (even though she already had a grandson) because Collette was much more protective after her first child, the boy, was born. After the daughter was born, she let her own mother participate more (remember the miniature of the grandmother breastfeeding the daughter?). This, of course, was a huge mistake. Therefore the daughter was more susceptible to the grandmother's shenanigans, but since the demon Paimon preferred a male body (a fact that Collette found in the grandmother's Book of Spirituality) they had to wait until the daughter's death so they could use her to get to the son.

At least, that's how I understood it.

by Anonymousreply 91June 11, 2018 12:01 AM

It's not even a little bit scary. It's scary boring.

by Anonymousreply 92June 11, 2018 12:12 AM

The movie is good, but the first hour could have been streamlined. For a while, the plot focus/Toni Collette's character keeps changing every 20 minutes. It's all very creepy and intense, but there's no propulsion forward until around an hour and fifteen minutes or so. It all makes narrative sense in the end, but it's not like this is a true story so I don't see why things needed to be made so convoluted.

by Anonymousreply 93June 11, 2018 12:29 AM

It’s an expertly crafted movie with a lot of very disturbing content. It is a must see for anybody who likes horror movies. But it’s probably too upsetting for the Academy. Also her character isn’t very likable. That shouldn’t be relevant to the work that she did but it probably will be

by Anonymousreply 94June 11, 2018 4:15 AM

R93, the director has hinted that elements of the story (the Paimon stuff) might have come from his own family background.

by Anonymousreply 95June 11, 2018 4:17 AM

Ugh, we're suffering through a period of major overhyping and overrating of horror movies. "Get Out" was a lazy, beat-by-beat remake of Stepford Wives but I guess everyone decided to give it a pass because it was black authored (and white guilt is a force to be reckoned with). And "A Quiet Place" was literally one scene from "war of the worlds" stretched into an entire movie, complete with the super annoying thriller cliche of having a learning disabled child, (see also River Wild, which gave Meryl the chance to sign and chew up the scenery in a movie that didn't need that extra later of awards-bait shit)

by Anonymousreply 96June 11, 2018 4:24 AM

^^^ This

by Anonymousreply 97June 11, 2018 4:57 AM

While the film has some pacing problems and once you get over any expectations you had about it, its fucking amazing and Toni deserves the Oscar for it. It reminds me more of the new Twin Peaks than The Witch, Mother, etc.

by Anonymousreply 98June 11, 2018 4:59 AM

The first half is a bore with no sense of dread building. Then it completely falls apart in the second half.

by Anonymousreply 99June 11, 2018 5:04 AM

Can you be specific R99?

by Anonymousreply 100June 11, 2018 5:05 AM

I thought that was pretty specific.

by Anonymousreply 101June 11, 2018 5:11 AM

No...you weren’t

by Anonymousreply 102June 11, 2018 5:42 AM

It's very rare for anyone to win an AA for a horror film.

by Anonymousreply 103June 11, 2018 6:16 AM

[quote]It reminds me more of the new Twin Peaks than The Witch, Mother, etc.

Then it's awful.

by Anonymousreply 104June 11, 2018 6:17 AM

I was super disappointed. TC is an amazing actress and her talent was wasted. The director or editor fucked up good with this one. It was boring.

by Anonymousreply 105June 11, 2018 6:30 AM

I can't tell if it is good or bad from all of these comments, but I looked at the cinemascore site and that indeed is a dummy site.

by Anonymousreply 106June 11, 2018 6:50 AM

She won't win, she will be nominated though. Deservedly so.

by Anonymousreply 107June 11, 2018 6:52 AM

cluck

by Anonymousreply 108June 11, 2018 6:53 AM

{quote]People don't win Oscars for horror movies. This is just hype.

Really, didn't Jordan Peele win a Best Original Screenplay Oscar for "Get Out"?! How soon we forget.

by Anonymousreply 109June 11, 2018 7:03 AM

[quote]People don't win Oscars for horror movies. This is just hype.

Really? Didn't Jordan Peele win a Best Original Screenplay Oscar for "Get Out"?! How soon we forget.

by Anonymousreply 110June 11, 2018 7:04 AM

Well, unless Toni becomes black, gay, or trans overnight, she won't be taking an Oscar. The Academy wanted to avoid the #OscarsSoWhite backlash again. They have to throw a few awards to minorities every year now. It's the law. Quite honestly, the Oscars is one big joke now. How many awards did Weinstein purchase?

by Anonymousreply 111June 11, 2018 7:19 AM

Horror, not as in movie category but as in really bad. Yes, her acting is quite good, but I have just wasted 2 hours of my life, watching this unadulterated crap.

by Anonymousreply 112June 11, 2018 7:44 AM

Toni should have gotten an Oscar for About A Boy.

by Anonymousreply 113June 11, 2018 9:29 AM

The young girl sure is odd looking.

And none of the kids look like their parents.

by Anonymousreply 114June 11, 2018 9:38 AM

Apparently so, [R63].

by Anonymousreply 115June 11, 2018 10:14 AM

It's such a hard film to categorize, but it goes from disturbing family drama to full blown 70's Satanic panic movie in the last 20 minutes. I feel like they could have eased into that a little bit more. The first part of the film is fairly subtle including little oddball and uncanny touches that seems more like a "is this woman going out of her mind" film and then, at the last minute, it turns into something from a latter day Exorcist or Omen sequel. It's a bit silly, but it's also fun jumping aboard the nightmare.

There's one scene early one that has to be one of the most shocking death scenes I've ever seen. I couldn't breathe for 5 minutes after the fact.

by Anonymousreply 116June 11, 2018 6:24 PM

By the time the Oscars roll around this film will be playing FX or TNT.

by Anonymousreply 117June 12, 2018 12:09 PM

I love Toni and thought she was very committed to this project, but I don’t see a nomination unless it’s an EXTREMELY weak year, and certainly not a win. Academy voters don’t like to watch actresses saw their own heads off.

by Anonymousreply 118June 13, 2018 2:49 AM

The empty chair in the bereavement support group scene was perfect. The house the teens were partying in-so different from the family home. The way Toni Collette's wardrobe changed midway through. And OMG the little girl was perfect- Best Supporting Actress! And no cheap jump scares.

by Anonymousreply 119June 13, 2018 3:46 AM

I was excited about this movie for months, but was left disappointed. It has some disturbing images, but most of the “horror” had me laughing (especially towards the end). The first half made great use of metaphor, and had references to mental illness within a family unit (and what’s scarier than hereditary illnesses?), but then it morphed into laughably bad, completely unoriginal jump-scare horror. Modern horror movies suck.

by Anonymousreply 120June 13, 2018 2:20 PM

It was more sad, oppressive and depressing than scary. And Toni Collette, as much as I think she is a talented actress, was annoying as fuck in this. She should win an Oscar simply for the number of times she shrieks "Please." Drama is easy. COMEDY is hard. (not literally true but it ain't that hard to wail-cry and rock on the floor. Just tiring. Because I am sure she had to film that more than once).

by Anonymousreply 121June 13, 2018 2:32 PM

Colette is so underrated. Not that she hasn't had an enviable career, but it seems Hollywood doesn't think she's in the same league as Blanchett, Cotillard, Adams, etc.

Saw the movie yesterday and was engrossed from start to finish, though the more I think about it now the more dissatisfied I am. Not sure it needs to be seen more than once, but I would certainly recommend it. That ending!

by Anonymousreply 122June 13, 2018 4:30 PM

While I agree she’s underrated, she’d have to be a bigger star or the movie would have to make $100+ million for her to get a nomination.

by Anonymousreply 123June 13, 2018 11:17 PM

Not necessarily, R123. She could win a few critics’ awards at the end of the year and end up being nominated for SAG/Golden Globe/Oscar. I definitely see that happening. Critics LOVE her.

by Anonymousreply 124June 14, 2018 2:29 AM

Hereditary is officially a FLOP.

by Anonymousreply 125June 16, 2018 6:59 PM

Don't lose your head, OP.

by Anonymousreply 126June 16, 2018 7:00 PM

[quote] And OMG the little girl was perfect- Best Supporting Actress!

You're Lynn Stairmaster, aren't you?

by Anonymousreply 127June 16, 2018 7:02 PM

I saw the movie tonight. Holy. Shit. This thread was clearly started by Toni Colette's publicist. What a piece of shit of a movie!! Toni Collette as Best Actress? LOL that's fucking hysterical. And that ending! What the fucking fuckity fuck was THAT?!?! Terrible movie - there's nothing to see here, folks. What a complete waste of two hours.

by Anonymousreply 128June 17, 2018 5:43 AM

Yup. This has been another A24 smokescreen. Nothing to see here.

by Anonymousreply 129June 17, 2018 5:47 AM

[quote]She could win a few critics’ awards at the end of the year and end up being nominated for SAG/Golden Globe/Oscar.

Ahhhh no.

by Anonymousreply 130June 17, 2018 2:24 PM

In her acceptance speech, I hope she proclaims 'Well, I won't be listening to any more ABBA songs after this. That's because my life is as good as an ABBA song. It's as good as Dancing Queen."

by Anonymousreply 131June 17, 2018 2:31 PM

R130...ahhh, yes. It could happen. All the critics raved about her performance.

by Anonymousreply 132June 17, 2018 2:55 PM

Movie made $7m in its 2nd week, dropping 53% while adding even more screens, and Box Office Mojo is still trying to pretend that's good.

by Anonymousreply 133June 17, 2018 6:00 PM

EW on Collette Oscar buzz, along with love for Glenn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134June 20, 2018 12:34 PM

It's June, R134. What else are they going to talk about to justify such a stupid article?

by Anonymousreply 135June 20, 2018 2:25 PM

Doesn't M have a film in the running? She could be up for her fourth is it?

by Anonymousreply 136June 20, 2018 2:48 PM

She's fantastic in the movie, but I doubt she'll be nominated because horror movies rarely get nominations and because the film was released so early before awards season.

by Anonymousreply 137June 20, 2018 3:14 PM

[quote]Doesn't M have a film in the running?

The only thing M would be eligible for this year is Supporting Actress for Mary Poppins Returns (but that will depend largely on the film's reviews overall and the significance of her role) or for Mama Mia! Here We Go Again (which is highly unlikely).

by Anonymousreply 138June 20, 2018 4:12 PM

Hey R134, did you know that 22 Best Picture Oscars opened between January and July. What are you going to say to justify such a stupid post.

"everyone knows that all Oscar winners open between Thanksgiving and Christmas."

College freshman in Film Appreciation 101 and 1/2

by Anonymousreply 139June 20, 2018 4:33 PM

[quote] Hey [R134], did you know that 22 Best Picture Oscars opened between January and July. What are you going to say to justify such a stupid post."everyone knows that all Oscar winners open between Thanksgiving and Christmas." College freshman in Film Appreciation 101 and 1/2

And everyone knows talking about Oscars on June 19th is wild guessing at best, R139. Unless you'd like to be even more of a know-it-all and tell me nominations and awards are based solely on merit and neither buzz nor a very strategic, very intricate and VERY expensive awards campaign figure into it at all. So sure, waste your bullets. No one's listening to you, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 140June 20, 2018 5:17 PM

R134, I apologise that I made a joke about you being young and dumb. Obviously I misjudged you. I hope that your lockdown facility isn't too difficult to cope with and your rehabilitation is successful.

If there are any legal issues, I hope you have talented representation.

by Anonymousreply 141June 20, 2018 5:25 PM

Toni Collette is widely regarded as one of the top favorite actresses by critics. Has she ever gotten bad reviews for anything? No. Never. Anyone who thinks she won’t win at least one critic’s award at the end if the year isn’t paying attention.

by Anonymousreply 142June 20, 2018 6:27 PM

This movie's collapse is complete.

by Anonymousreply 143June 26, 2018 8:25 AM

The movie is a giant flop. Winning any kind of award recognition is now an uphill battle for her.

by Anonymousreply 144June 26, 2018 8:27 AM

Glennie looks a lot better than usual in the r134 pic. Too scared to open the link though.

by Anonymousreply 145June 26, 2018 8:37 AM

haha the Toni Collette troll strikes again!

You have got to be kidding/trolling OP (original poster), Collette is not that bad of an actress in some roles when she's not being overly dramatic and histrionic, but Hereditary was a garbage film and more of a campy comedy film than an actually good or scary horror film. I like horror films and scary films, but there were way too many plot holes, cliches, and it basically tried to be a scary film but wound up being more of a parody of horror films like the scary movie series by the Wayans brothers.

In fact I really do hope that the Wayans brothers make yet another parody and make fun of Hereditary and Toni Collette and Alex Wolff's horrible acting.

by Anonymousreply 146September 24, 2018 2:12 PM

R146 , you can’t even write a coherent two paragraph post on a gossip site. Don’t you think that might tarnish your credibility as both a valued opinion maker and Oscar ™️ prognosticator?

In other words, you’re an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 147September 24, 2018 2:19 PM

R147/OP/Toni Collette troll: Stop being so butt hurt that your favorite actress sucks at certain roles, can't act, and stop being so angry that Hereditary was a horrible film and utter dreck.

For an Aussie actress, Collette is miles ahead of Nicole Kidman, but neither of them are nearly as good as Judy Davis is.

by Anonymousreply 148September 24, 2018 2:32 PM

A gentleman gloater, huh?

by Anonymousreply 149September 24, 2018 2:35 PM

I hope she gets a nomination too.

by Anonymousreply 150December 6, 2018 11:26 PM

It would be hilarious if she did OP and R150, mainly because Hereditary is such a bad film and it's campy/kitschy and so bad it's funny!

by Anonymousreply 151December 14, 2018 10:11 PM

No SAG and she’s missed out on many other critics noms. It’s not happening.

by Anonymousreply 152December 14, 2018 10:18 PM

Should I see this?

by Anonymousreply 153December 14, 2018 10:20 PM

No, don’t bother. I regret seeing it.

by Anonymousreply 154December 15, 2018 10:06 AM

I actually liked the movie. The ending is a bit wonky, but the build up is great and Toni most definitely deserved a lot of awards attention for this role. She was spellbinding. I couldn't take my eyes off of her the entire time. I have a feeling that this will end up becoming one of those great performances where 20/30 years down the road, people will say "I can't believe she wasn't nominated for this."

Hell, they gave Streep a nomination for that awful Iron Lady movie. And she won! Iron Lady was far worse than Hereditary.

by Anonymousreply 155December 15, 2018 6:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!