Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Can Emma win her second Best Actress Oscar with The Children Act?

Well?

[italic]In the London-set drama adapted from an acclaimed Ian McEwan novel, Thompson plays a High Court judge who specializes in family law cases. And she delivers what has to be one of the most nuanced and moving performances of her entire career. The film is also notable for showcasing another superb performance, by up-and-coming actor Fionn Whitehead (also featured prominently in Christopher Nolan’s Dunkirk). But his is essentially a strong supporting role, whereas Thompson appears in virtually every scene. With two performances of this caliber, the film is guaranteed to generate attention and acclaim, even though its downbeat subject matter represents a major commercial challenge. - Hollywood Reporter[/italic]

[italic]Fiona is played by the great Emma Thompson in her best role since 2001’s “Wit” — and one that ought to remind her remind the casting gods that Thompson’s good for more than playing magical governesses (“Nanny McPhee”) and the women who write about them (P.L. Travers in “Saving Mr. Banks”). - Variety[/italic]

[italic]Emma Thompson Is Absolutely Brilliant in an Uneven Ian McEwan Adaptation // Thompson powers right through the histrionic moments that the movie lays out for her; in a story that extrapolates everyday domestic matters into life-or-death scenarios (and vice-versa), the actress’ studied tremble is all that always sustains the connection between the two. It’s through her that we feel the heartache of an empty home, through her that our attention is returned to the things that each of us has to lose so that we can manage to live. No matter how iffy the story gets, or how clinical Eyre’s direction becomes, Thompson makes it absolutely heartrending to watch Fiona’s veneer crack one line at a time. - Indiewire[/italic]

Trailer:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24March 24, 2021 6:38 PM

Oh, why not? Let her have a measly TWO, snicker.

by Anonymousreply 1June 5, 2018 5:17 AM

It is my FUCKING turn !!!!!

by Anonymousreply 2June 5, 2018 5:29 AM

A second Emma is after her second Oscar too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 5, 2018 6:03 AM

Emma Thompson is insanely talented as an actor, it's a pity that she doesn't get more roles that allow her to show what she can do.

But she's also very talented as a writer, and she can write at home. In her underwear, with a pot of tea or a bottle of wine to hand, and no damn directors or reporters to deal with.

by Anonymousreply 4June 5, 2018 9:14 AM

I thought this was going to be about Emma Stone.

by Anonymousreply 5June 5, 2018 11:05 AM

What is Stanley Tucci doing in there?

by Anonymousreply 6June 5, 2018 11:17 AM

Ugh. Who keeps hiring Stanley Fucking Tucci?

by Anonymousreply 7June 5, 2018 11:31 AM

Tucci was great in Spotlight.

by Anonymousreply 8June 5, 2018 6:16 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 9September 3, 2018 8:45 PM

We'll see if she even gets nominated. It's a tough race this year, ladies.

by Anonymousreply 10September 3, 2018 8:48 PM

It's a wonderful performance....I saw it last year at TIFF. I think she could nail a Supportimg nomination

by Anonymousreply 11September 3, 2018 9:08 PM

M, you're slipping, luv.

Already got two (HOWARD'S END and SENSE & SENSIBILITY).

I'd like to see you get a Best Screenplay award, though... can you read?

by Anonymousreply 12September 3, 2018 9:57 PM

The book was excellent, but the film looks totally soppy and "affirmative". And the female protagonist in the novel was not a luvvie.

by Anonymousreply 13September 3, 2018 10:09 PM

Beautiful film.

by Anonymousreply 14November 4, 2018 3:30 PM

I just saw this movie. It's lovely. Was there a suggestion that Emma's character was slightly attracted to the boy? I thought there were subtle hints to that effect but it was ambiguous enough to make me interested in what others think.

by Anonymousreply 15March 20, 2021 6:40 PM

R15, in the book it’s not even hinted at. She is.

by Anonymousreply 16March 20, 2021 6:46 PM

Subtle? Ambiguous?

Are you on the spectrum, r15?!

by Anonymousreply 17March 20, 2021 6:47 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18March 20, 2021 6:50 PM

R17, she's fighting with her husband and a lot of other stuff is going on. Plus, she was a very caring person from the outset. She decided to go to the hospital to meet with him for the first time even though the law was clear that he should be given the treatment.

R18, I only saw the movie once, but I remember thinking that it was he that kissed her. The gif has her leaning in a bit. I'll have to watch that part again.

by Anonymousreply 19March 20, 2021 6:52 PM

Thanks, R15

by Anonymousreply 20March 20, 2021 6:53 PM

The boy was obsessed with her and stalked her all over the places.

by Anonymousreply 21March 20, 2021 6:55 PM

Are there significant differences in the book and film?

by Anonymousreply 22March 21, 2021 1:01 AM

There are two things the idiots in Hollywood adore..anything Jewish, and anyone with a British accent.

by Anonymousreply 23March 21, 2021 1:07 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24March 24, 2021 6:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!