Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Americans series finale

It starts in less than two hours.

I want to see dinosours.

And a bullet in Elizabeth’s head.

by Anonymousreply 131September 30, 2018 12:42 PM

I just hope they show Martha one last time.

by Anonymousreply 1May 31, 2018 12:54 AM

I want to see Henry kiss another boy.

by Anonymousreply 2May 31, 2018 12:57 AM

How about Renee revealed to be CIA, KGB, Mossad or all three?

by Anonymousreply 3May 31, 2018 1:00 AM

We didn't need another thread.

by Anonymousreply 4May 31, 2018 1:03 AM

Yes, we did, R4. The other one didn’t follow DL’s stringent heading regulations.

by Anonymousreply 5May 31, 2018 1:05 AM

Wouldn't it be fairly easy for them to get cyanide pills from the Party? Why treat them like gold?

by Anonymousreply 6May 31, 2018 1:16 AM

Don’t know. Some posters on another message board thought Elizabeth put down the locket with the pill at Claudia’s but it was just the key to the safe house/apartment.

by Anonymousreply 7May 31, 2018 1:19 AM

I predict Paige will be the only death out of all the main characters.

by Anonymousreply 8May 31, 2018 1:42 AM

I thought they ended up with Harvest's cyanide pill, not Marilyn's. Marilyn was never shown as having a cyanide pill.

by Anonymousreply 9May 31, 2018 2:09 AM

Henry must stay. American boys are way cuter than Russian ones.

by Anonymousreply 10May 31, 2018 2:10 AM

Great live chat for this over at Previously TV.

by Anonymousreply 11May 31, 2018 2:20 AM

Time’s a tickin...impressively quiet episode. I’m dreading a big bang. The series can’t end this gently after dozens of broken bodies in suitcases.

by Anonymousreply 12May 31, 2018 3:09 AM

So very very disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 13May 31, 2018 3:32 AM

Agree, R13.

by Anonymousreply 14May 31, 2018 3:41 AM

I really loved it. Perfect ending.

by Anonymousreply 15May 31, 2018 3:43 AM

Hated it.

Stan let them GO? No.

Bad. Very bad.

by Anonymousreply 16May 31, 2018 3:45 AM

Good article about the finale, which Vox calls of the 10 greatest ever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 31, 2018 3:54 AM

Paige did the right thing.

by Anonymousreply 18May 31, 2018 4:02 AM

SERIOUSLY underwhelming.

Too many long pauses, too many scenes with music overlaying walking people and driving cars, too many quiet scenes with too little said.

I’ve loved this series, but this just didn’t do it for me at all. So everyone is punished in some way at the end, and that’s a great finale? No.

by Anonymousreply 19May 31, 2018 4:02 AM

I told ya no one was going to die.

by Anonymousreply 20May 31, 2018 4:45 AM

Another thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21May 31, 2018 4:55 AM

So, Stan is gonna let Oleg Burov go to jail. He doesn't care his wife may be a spy? He shows no interest in seeing Gorbachev stay in power? Did Stan really care about anything?

by Anonymousreply 22May 31, 2018 5:10 AM

I groaned at the end when Phillip and Elizabeth spoke proudly about raising their kids.

Uh...we watched them for 6 seasons, and they didn’t spend a helluva lotta time with those kids. Stan spent more time with Henry than Phillip did, and Elizabeth spent even less. Paige didn’t spend time with her mother until she became a Russian moll.

The garage scene was riveting stuff, but would Stan really confront them on his own? People he realized were killers? And why didn’t Elizabeth blow Stan away with a gun?

I know, I know, that would’ve been so cliche and expected.

by Anonymousreply 23May 31, 2018 5:23 AM

I'll forgive the garage scene just because it was the only quick way to wrap it up with Stan without killing him, but we're one episode short here. We need an hour or so to see how things played out when they got back to the USSR. Were they heroes or outcasts? Was the USSR still home or are they like that secretary who defected early on--shopping in empty stores and realizing that they should have stayed in America. Is their marriage real or was it all just part of the cover? Were they at exactly the right place at the right time with the right set of skills to take advantage of the fall of the Soviet Union, or did they become relics consigned to the dustbin of history? Sorry, but getting out of the car for a minute simply wasn't enough.

by Anonymousreply 24May 31, 2018 5:43 AM

Those Vox reviews are something else. Wish I saw and felt the greatness those critics did.

I wanted to FF during those stretches with no dialogue and long stares, as well as during the musical montages. 3 minutes of U2 was complete overkill.

by Anonymousreply 25May 31, 2018 5:50 AM

If you had remembered the signing of the START Treaty it was the beginning of the greatness that now Trump & Putin are so eager to destroy. The EU was created, the economy strengthened, the Baltic states became free and powerful Democracy’s. To tie these two characters to this Treaty was Hella Brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 26May 31, 2018 6:12 AM

Little Nikita ending.

by Anonymousreply 27May 31, 2018 6:40 AM

A beautiful, deeply sad ending.

by Anonymousreply 28May 31, 2018 6:45 AM

That shot of Stan fondling Henry's knee was very special. I predicted they would end up together!

by Anonymousreply 29May 31, 2018 7:21 AM

U fucking 2. Somebody should be shot. Oh, wait.

by Anonymousreply 30May 31, 2018 7:28 AM

I try to understand those that find Stan's decision to let them go appropriate and understandable. But I can't. It seems a contrivance created by the writers, not a realistic option. And I get the lingering sadness of their fate, although I was hoping for nothing less than a public beheading for Elizabeth.

What is Paige's future? Does she have access to money? A place to live? Who would hire her? Will Henry forgive her for keeping him in the dark? Or is the bottle her only option?

by Anonymousreply 31May 31, 2018 2:37 PM

Yeah, I don't get all the love from Vox. They left Oleg on the floor in a windowless cell (or was it just a room?). That's enough to make the finale suck.

by Anonymousreply 32May 31, 2018 2:58 PM

R24 Their marriage became real - they did get married. That was importance of the Russian Orthodox priest. The relationship went far beyond spy fuck buddies.

If you knew a smattering of European/Global History the ending would have given you goose bumps...as Vox reviewers said they made it possible to create long periods of Peace for the 1st time in History on the continent of Europe, basically eliminating the KGB. It was brilliant to see genuine deep love develop between them.

by Anonymousreply 33May 31, 2018 3:05 PM

Not sure I see genuine deep love there. Not just yet. Maybe never.

by Anonymousreply 34May 31, 2018 3:37 PM

Relax. Gorbachev wins this round. He will get Oleg home.

by Anonymousreply 35May 31, 2018 3:43 PM

I can’t really make sense of Stan’s decision either. The writers appear to want us to believe that his personal affection for Philip and Henry overcame his sense of duty and his anger. They present his choice as shoot or stand down, but he should have called for back up before confronting them.

by Anonymousreply 36May 31, 2018 3:54 PM

Don't forget, Stan may or may not (!) be married to a spy. Not only being fooled by his best friend but by his wife?!? Poor Stan is really dispondent and crushed and defeated.

by Anonymousreply 37May 31, 2018 4:14 PM

Is there is any evidence to support P&E’s suspicion of Renee? They speculated that she was too attractive to be into Stan, but his ex-wife was also attractive, so Stan may have . . . talents . . . not obvious to the casual observer. I don’t recall Renee ever actually doing anything to gather information from Stan, and she stuck around even after he left counter-Intelligence. Why would the center put another agent across the street and not tell P&E? We’ve never seen her keeping tabs on P&E.

by Anonymousreply 38May 31, 2018 4:44 PM

“In its final season and especially in its series finale, "The Americans" proves once again that it is one of the best television series ever made with careful, detailed writing; thoughtfully fleshed-out female characters; and mind-blowing performances (especially from Keri Russell, Matthew Rhys, and Noah Emmerich).”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39May 31, 2018 6:01 PM

I accepted the Stan scene in the garage because I believe an FBI man finally having to accept he was duped all those years by Russian spies across the street would be so humiliating, such a mockery of his years devoted to the FBI, that he would confront them alone (without back up) -- if they killed him, that would be a better end to Stan than having to admit to his FBI colleagues he was a failure ( and of course Stan didn't have the courage to admit it to the FBI later). I thought it was a riveting scene and handled well by all four actors, even Paige. My main disappointments with the finale was: 1) trying to convince us in final scenes that Phil and Eliz. were good parents and can at least feel everything that was done at the end was because their kids were at top of their priorities. Not once through all the years did we see anything but the most superficial concern about their kids while they were out killing people. and 2) so disappointed about Martindale's Claudia just not there in any way this last episode.. She was brilliant in the role but equally important to let us know where she had gone, back to Russia ? off to South America? She would have been considered a failure by Moscow since the people she was handling turned out the way they did and I think she would be afraid to return to Moscow. I really wanted some sort of resolution for Claudia.

by Anonymousreply 40May 31, 2018 6:34 PM

I kept hoping Suzanne Pleshette would show up in bed with Elizabeth and that it was all a dream.

by Anonymousreply 41May 31, 2018 6:57 PM

I'm working on a wacky sitcom spinoff that's like "Sabrina, the Teenage Witch," but with Paige as a junior spy. And Claudia and Renee are her two handler-aunts.

by Anonymousreply 42May 31, 2018 6:58 PM

I was hoping that Paige would enter Claudia's apartment and find her corpse.

The FBI did discover that Stan had been duped for years, right? That's why Aderholt gives him that comforting pat on the shoulder.

by Anonymousreply 43May 31, 2018 7:10 PM

But letting the Jennings go will not spare Stan one second of humiliation. So that does not account for his decision.

by Anonymousreply 44May 31, 2018 7:21 PM

Thought about it last night and still thinking about it today. Maybe not one of the all time great finales, but very, very good and affecting. But then, I like ambiguous endings and this end was *very* ambiguous.

by Anonymousreply 45May 31, 2018 7:53 PM

Stan is either pensioned off or transferred to the FBI office in Butte, Montana the next week.

Regardless of what they do with him he's a suspect in their eyes for the rest of his life, since it's quite a stretch to think that he was that close to Russian spies without being dirty himself.

What was the body count for the series, anyone know?

by Anonymousreply 46May 31, 2018 8:18 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 47May 31, 2018 8:37 PM

Will Henry go to Montana with him? Will his wife?

by Anonymousreply 48May 31, 2018 9:58 PM

I was a bit disappointed in the ending; I kind of figured that throughout the whole show Elizabeth continually put her devotion to Mother Russia above all else, she'd find a way to take a bullet for her family (maybe literally) and actually make a sacrifice for kids and her marriage. Given the tone of the show, I certainly didn't expect a happy ending, but she just ended up being the same cold, heartless bitch she's always been (we'll get used to Russia, ya whiny bitch!) while her kids lives are basically ruined. Poor Henry thinks he's abandoned and Paige is just lost.

by Anonymousreply 49May 31, 2018 10:14 PM

Stan is explaining everything to Henry, so I’m hoping he’ll be ok. Henry being left made me think of Running on Empty, in which cute twink River Phoenix was also abandoned by his parents on the lam.

by Anonymousreply 50May 31, 2018 10:20 PM

Paige no doubt gave herself up to the FBI after downing that bottle of vodka, R31. Well, maybe a day later.

by Anonymousreply 51May 31, 2018 10:48 PM

r48 No, Stan and Henry are together for good. Now that the writers have finally broken that taboo a spinoff about their relationship would be really groundbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 52May 31, 2018 11:39 PM

R52, the really taboo aspect is that Henry is the top.

by Anonymousreply 53May 31, 2018 11:42 PM

r53 I would love to see that!

by Anonymousreply 54May 31, 2018 11:45 PM

[quote]Paige no doubt gave herself up to the FBI after downing that bottle of vodka

No one knows about Paige's involvement except Stan, and if he acknowledges it, he'll have to admit he let them all get away. So she's probably safe.

by Anonymousreply 55June 1, 2018 12:07 AM

This show has been extraordinary and consistently lauded by critics, and it’s morally ambiguous. That means that no ending would ever satisfy most people. The expectations are too high. And this is a work of fiction, and so it’s up to the writers to bring their story to completion. I was bored during some parts and surprised overall that no one was killed and there was no real comeuppance except that everyone lost everyone and has to live with it. I didn’t write it so I am not going to fault the writers for not having done their job the way I might have done it. I give it a solid A. What most people to be shocked/upset about is that Elizabeth didn’t change enough—she ended up being who she always was. Well...people do do that. To me the greatest point was that Elizabeth and Phillip and Stan all were so dedicated to their countries—for reasons that turned out to be mostly arbitrary and inconsequential in the end—that they sacrificed their families and all personal fulfillment. All of them committed to that from the times they signed onto their jobs and E and P stuck it out while Stan ultimately caved. One of Elizabeth’s first lines from a US arrival flashback was “the people here are weak.” She’s awful but she’s not weak.

by Anonymousreply 56June 1, 2018 12:30 AM

This is one of the few series that as I watched, enjoyed that I had no idea how it would end.

It was great that we got the ambiguity that we did, since we know that history changes all of their situations very quickly.

In my fan-fiction present day ending, the Jennings now enjoy some vacations in Cuba.

by Anonymousreply 57June 1, 2018 1:48 AM

Paige should've told Stan she was knocked up when he caught them in the garage.

by Anonymousreply 58June 1, 2018 1:58 AM

Didn't Stan eventually look like the fool when the FBI was all over the Jennings house in the end?

by Anonymousreply 59June 1, 2018 2:08 AM

Stan did fast math, he had suspected the Jennings from the first month of their friendship. He said nothing. +1000 Fucked Nina, carried lone wolf measures going over superiors to save her & conspired with a foreign spy, same +1000 Stan dated and married a woman, suspected of being a spy and is encouraging her application to the FBI. +1000

He suspected the Jennings a second time - told Alderhat and was dismissed. +500.

Stan had to keep his mouth shut, he had stepped outside the lines frequently.

Paige could return to Canada and contact her brother from there, also visit her family parents. Paige was not a witness to of any EJ actions except for the self defense from thugs. She was a minor. She will serve no time.

Gorbachev would certainly be made aware of the Jennings role, he could aid thier daughter in many ways. Further the actions supporting START went very far in uniting all other Nations into the EU. Good things came from START Treaty success.

I hope that well into thier 60’s the minute Putin’s fat head appeared that the Jennings hightailed it to London - with all the other retired spies.

by Anonymousreply 60June 1, 2018 2:22 AM

The entire time in the garage I was thinking, so what's Stan gonna do? I mean, it's not like he could have held the gun with one hand and call the FBI for backup on his cell phone (since they didn't exist) with the other. The FBI didn't even know where he was. There was no way he could have shot all three of them one by one, because by the time he took the first shot, at the very least, E could have rushed him and kicked that gun away before he could get off any more rounds. It was three against one, even if he did have the gun. He could have shot one of them, but them his life would have been over.

Frankly, I half expected E to rush him anyway and sacrifice her life for Phillip & Paige. Now that would have been a helluva ending. E and Stan die and Phillip and Paige spend the rest of their days in Vancouver, B.C. Sweet!

But I liked it anyway just the way it was.

by Anonymousreply 61June 1, 2018 3:15 AM

[quote]She was a minor.

Paige is 19 and in college. She's not a minor.

by Anonymousreply 62June 1, 2018 3:18 AM

i am so sad it is over. what am i gonna watch now?

by Anonymousreply 63June 1, 2018 3:38 AM

Too many scenes with long pauses and no dialogue...too many scenes with music overlaying pensive looks on faces.

And the pride Elizabeth and Phillip had in raising their children? Huh??? Those kids raised THEMSELVES. They were practically latchkey kids.

The dream sequence Elizabeth had at the end (pregnant, in the arms of the black guy, looking at the paintings) was complete WTF garbage.

I loved this series, but the finale was just a B-

by Anonymousreply 64June 1, 2018 3:55 AM

R64, yes, I know. that dream was so weird. wtf was that about? i didn't think it fit at all.

by Anonymousreply 65June 1, 2018 4:00 AM

I was contemplating throwing my remote into the television to stop that goddamn oHHHHH oHHHHH oHHHHHH oHHHHHHH.

by Anonymousreply 66June 1, 2018 5:53 AM

Vulture. com has a lot of posts about the ending. One is about the dream.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67June 1, 2018 7:24 AM

^even without reading that, the meaning of the dream was clear: it was all about what Elizabeth had lost for her job (the love of his life, her kids, a quiet, relaxed, happy life).

by Anonymousreply 68June 1, 2018 7:26 AM

i wonder if P and E will spend time with Martha in Moscow

by Anonymousreply 69June 1, 2018 7:30 AM

I can't even imagine how Stan's conversation with /henry would have gone. How do you sit a kid down in an arena and explain that his whole life has been a lie and his family doesn't exist anymore?

by Anonymousreply 70June 1, 2018 11:07 AM

Henry was old enough to realize that something was very different about his family and even though he didn't know the truth, he knew that he needed to get another life away from them and that's what he had done for the past few years.

Hopefully, Stan was able to keep him in the same boarding school and help him with college.

by Anonymousreply 71June 1, 2018 2:02 PM

Paige won't be in college any more. How does she pay the tuition? She doesn't have a place to live, either. Maybe she goes to SA to work with the Pastor.

As for P&E, there have to be a lot of Claudia's chums in Moscow who think of them as traitors. I'm hoping they're bumped off.

by Anonymousreply 72June 1, 2018 2:02 PM

Elizabeth's dream now makes sense as it was her unrealized dream life as a carefree artist. This season, we got to see Philip live his dream life (line dancing?)

by Anonymousreply 73June 1, 2018 2:05 PM

R65 R73 Watch the first season and the dream makes sense. She was probably deeply in love with a black US agent whom she had groomed, and she ultimately broke up with him for the sake of the marriage and family. That was another layer of her sacrificing love for duty. Her love interest collected art and he asked her in an early episode what she thought of it and she gave an inane answer. He told her she doesn’t know anything about art. Flash forward to her being assigned to the dying artist. She also told Elizabeth she knew nothing about art, and she insisted on educating her and getting her to connect to it. Forcing her to focus on art evidently brought back the old relationship because her former love interest was into art, and symbolically this subplot also emphasized that Elizabeth was either missing or suppressing/sacrificing a part of her humanity. That’s what the artist was trying to make her connect with—an intangible, deeply human quality. It worked; the paintings were the key to raising the importance of that sacrificed relationship to her consciousness by the end.

by Anonymousreply 74June 1, 2018 3:30 PM

There were a lot of sad moments on the show, but Elizabeth forcing herself to destroy the painting was one of the most heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 75June 1, 2018 3:42 PM

[quote]As for P&E, there have to be a lot of Claudia's chums in Moscow who think of them as traitors. I'm hoping they're bumped off.

Once the FBI investigates further and realizes the full extent of their actions in the US (including killing Stan's partner), they might arrange to have the CIA take them out in Moscow.

by Anonymousreply 76June 1, 2018 5:11 PM

R74 R75. That is extremely informative.

The Dream I had forgotten that Gregory collected art. Elizabeth was drawn to his collection but felt inadequate for discussion. The artist Erica did nurture that unexamined passion in Jennings - it was a non verbal expression that felt most comfortable, a doing hands on action of expression, all visual all tactile. (Kind of fitting for a lethal hand to hand killer.) This ties her to the 3 lives ripped from her.

When she was finally relieved of protecting against enemies a dream of ART/PAINTINGS helped split open her subconsciousness and the pain spilled out. That dream sequence was brilliant. It revisited her love for Gregory - as she leaves America first it is intimacy with Gregory, a long look at paintings that drew out her emotional pain & conflict from which a blurry image sharpens to be her young children. All of the LOVE, all the the feelings (sans Philip) that she could not touch again. The 3 lives that meant something to her - the end of her “American Experience.” WOW.

Healing (for the wound that will never heal) for Elizabeth came in paintings - ideal outcome would be Eliz learning to paint or developing her drawing skills via portraits of her children. Testimony of Love for them should the reunion ever come... a parcel in the mail delivered to their doorstep. And Gregory. Also something that will be distinctively hers to process with, separate from overwhelmingly sharing grief with Philip.

The Big Talk Interesting that for Phillip his big reveal was EST expression of feelings. His dialogue with Stan while highly manipulative was the culmination of Feelings he had suppressed for over a decade. How many times do we feel when that pal knocks on the door, “oh not now!” But we follow it with genuine warmth - that was Phil on steroids with Stan.

The writers of this episode were totally brilliant. Kudos to them.

by Anonymousreply 77June 1, 2018 5:56 PM

Maybe Paige could write a tell-all.

by Anonymousreply 78June 1, 2018 6:00 PM

R76 you couldnt be more wrong. Actually the success of the START Treaty changed the face of Europe. Peace between the 2 super powers created more unity between Euro countries leading to stronger economies. It has been a remarkably positive, prosperous period for the continent - including Russia. That is Up until the cancer that is Putin/old KGB emerged and tyranny throttles the life out of Russian citizens hopes and dreams.

You must be a troll.

by Anonymousreply 79June 1, 2018 6:01 PM

God the 1990s were wonderful in retrospect.

by Anonymousreply 80June 1, 2018 6:04 PM

Keri Russell was so great in this show that it'll be hard for me to buy her as a future, warm, nice character.

by Anonymousreply 81June 1, 2018 6:14 PM

R80 - Who knew?

by Anonymousreply 82June 1, 2018 6:53 PM

Oh sure, the great 90's. A decade of rehearsals, where people practiced the first Gulf War, the first World Trade Center bombings, the first impeachment in the modern era, the first repeal of bank protection legislation leading to the first depression of the new century, etc. Nirvana.

by Anonymousreply 83June 1, 2018 7:00 PM

I thought your thread would be a commentary on the current state of our country, op.

by Anonymousreply 84June 1, 2018 7:04 PM

R84 TOUCHÉ”

by Anonymousreply 85June 1, 2018 7:20 PM

[quote] basically eliminating the KGB.

Not even close.

In 1991 Margo Martindale's faction kidnapped Gorbichev and the Army tried to conduct a coup. Yeltsin galvanized the opposition and the coup failed, but Gorbichev was finished. He went on to do commercials for Louis Vuitton and Burger King.

In October 1993, they tried again. Army tanks shelled the Russian Parliament building, killing staff and destroying many offices. The government of President Boris Yeltsin had successfully resisted a political coup by the hard-line Parliament, and with the assistance of the Army, had blasted the legislators out of their building, known as the White House. In American terms that would be like Capitol Hill being shelled and burned out by the 1st Armored Division.

By this point I expect Margo and her key staff moved out of Russia and went to live in France. The leaders of these two failed coups having been arrested or fired, that cleared the way for Putin and his group. I can see Elizabeth as a key power player on his team.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86June 1, 2018 7:52 PM

I hope Elizabeth gets diagnosed with lung cancer and she realizes she would have had a much better chance of beating it in the US than in the USSR.

by Anonymousreply 87June 1, 2018 8:00 PM

Link back to the first, maxxed-out, multi-year thread about the show, if only for legacy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88June 1, 2018 8:23 PM

why, r88? You think people can't search for it, if they want to find it? You're so annoying.

by Anonymousreply 89June 1, 2018 8:25 PM

I think I have a problem with it because Elizabeth murdered so many people especially that couple in the last season which was so ghastly. . Stan should have had backup. I was disappointed with this ending, I expected Elizabeth get her comeuppance and Philip turn against her to save the children.

by Anonymousreply 90June 1, 2018 8:44 PM

E deserved to die for the death of poor Lois Smith alone.

by Anonymousreply 91June 1, 2018 9:16 PM

A spin-off teaming Paige Jennings with Dana Brody would be dyn-o-MITE.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92June 1, 2018 9:27 PM

I don't understand what Paige's plan is.

by Anonymousreply 93June 1, 2018 10:45 PM

R88 Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 94June 1, 2018 11:31 PM

Taking a break from posting on the political threads, Natasha r93 ? Paige's plan was not to spend the rest of her life in Russia.

She hadn't committed any crimes. She went to the safe house to give her parents some more time to escape. Then she'd face a few days of interrogation, then go back to her old life.

by Anonymousreply 95June 1, 2018 11:31 PM

R95, you don’t know the details of what Paige did on operations. I’m sure the feds would find something to nail her on.

by Anonymousreply 96June 1, 2018 11:43 PM

Paige could have struck a plea deal as the information she could provide to the government would be worth far more to them than having her spend time in jail.

Plus, she'd have a long-time FBI agent to back up most of her story and the case could be made that she was forced/brainwashed into any potential crimes by her spy parents.

by Anonymousreply 97June 2, 2018 1:19 AM

I just had a long conversation with my dad about the finale. We were both discussing it in the same way many people here are—less about the episode and more about the fates of the characters based on the choices they made. That to me is phenomenal. What brilliant fiction that gets viewers so invested that they are left preoccupied with what happened to these characters after the show ended. Brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 98June 2, 2018 1:25 AM

Yes, the show did that throughout its run. It will be sorely missed.

by Anonymousreply 99June 2, 2018 1:34 AM

A Sovietologist by training (BA, MA, PhD), I began my professional career in 1990. I was in Moscow for the August 19, 1991, attempted coup d'état. I have worked in government, intelligence, non-profits, and, now, academia. It was with more than a passing curiosity that I watched this show.

I have avoided these threads until now, since I was able to watch the finale just today. In general, I think that the writers deserve a lot of praise for recreating the realistic feeling of the era. It took me a long time to see past the gay guy in Brothers & Sisters and Felicity to appreciate the acting of the two leads. There are many insignificant quibbles to be made here and there in the characters' development and dispositions, but the Americans succeeded in forging a lasting impression and catalyzing interesting discussions both here and in real life among a wide variety of communities. Frankly, I did not anticipate that.

Others have commented about their experiences talking about the show with others, their reactions, and have shared some good thoughts on what those times yielded for today. So, at the risk of betraying the raison d'être of the DL, I want to thank you for sharing your impressions. It has been immensely enjoyable to me personally, and this is the last place I would have expected to find this particular type of pleasure and affirmation. Cheers.

by Anonymousreply 100June 2, 2018 2:35 AM

In a few years Paige and her brother will be able to visit Misha and Mommy, perhaps then they would learn that thier parents above all permitted one of the most important Peace Treaties in the Nothern Hemisphere to go forward. US and Russia signatories on the START TREATY - the first anti Nuclear proliferation treaty of its kind. Perhaps Misha and Mommy could visit them in Canada.

Some sins could be forgiven for that.

by Anonymousreply 101June 2, 2018 3:51 AM

Thanks for your post, R100.

by Anonymousreply 102June 2, 2018 5:13 AM

For anyone interested in the politics of the era I would highly recommend The End of the Cold War: 1985-1991 by Robert Service.

by Anonymousreply 103June 2, 2018 10:35 AM

i'd still have loved to see P & E reaction to the fall of the Berlin wall.

by Anonymousreply 104June 2, 2018 12:25 PM

R104 They’d stare in awe as it happened, Elizabeth would fret and punch a hole in the wall and Phillip would go buy a hoodie with West Germany on it from a souvenir shop.

by Anonymousreply 105June 2, 2018 12:27 PM

R100 is the very closeted Condi “it was just a daily memo” Rice. You should visit us more Condi - LGBT community on DL, once the GRU Trolls and white cracker Breitbart racist retards are blocked, is a pretty clever crowd.

by Anonymousreply 106June 2, 2018 12:45 PM

R106 Haha. I actually know Condi Rice well, personally and professionally. I have not spoken to her privately for many years now, but I suspect that she watched the Americans, too.

by Anonymousreply 107June 2, 2018 3:40 PM

^is she a lez?

by Anonymousreply 108June 2, 2018 3:43 PM

Honestly, I do not get any sexual vibe from her, at all. Maybe she's asexual.

by Anonymousreply 109June 2, 2018 3:45 PM

It certainly meant something that the final episode was titled "START."

I imagine Paige was thinking about several key things when she got off the train in the North Country of NY state. One, 'I never really had a choice and I didn't realize until too late how much killing mom and did'; two, 'I don't want to leave Henry all alone and confused'; and three, 'I'm pretty good at lying and I have all options open, more here than over there.'

I have to rewatch the finale to sort some of it out, but that dream sequence where Elizabeth saw the painting she burned was quite an image.

by Anonymousreply 110June 2, 2018 3:56 PM

R110 And the man she loved and his collection of art.

by Anonymousreply 111June 2, 2018 3:58 PM

[quote]Perhaps Misha and Mommy could visit them in Canada.

Uh, no. We have an extradition treaty.

by Anonymousreply 112June 2, 2018 4:18 PM

They should've replaced Derek Luke with Suzanne Pleshette. (Well, if she were still with us.)

by Anonymousreply 113June 2, 2018 4:19 PM

R107 R106 here - haha good on you, glad you appreciate the joke! I bet you do know her well - unfortunately she dismissed Clintons warning about Bin Laden and his criminal crew... alas. NYkers felt intensely about that willful oversight then and we always will.

R109 Condi is a closet case, albeit a particularly smart and talented closet case.

by Anonymousreply 114June 2, 2018 11:17 PM

[quote]1) trying to convince us in final scenes that Phil and Eliz. were good parents and can at least feel everything that was done at the end was because their kids were at top of their priorities.

R40 I rather think this scene was meant to be ironic. "They'll remember us" made me laugh at the end of an emotional finale. Of course Phil and Liz were terrible parents, they were never home! This was exactly what Henry was pointing out to Stan in the car as he drove him back to NH and boarding school after a Thanksgiving where, once again, his parents had to mysteriously leave "for clients". So too, in the dream, it was as much about Liz's feelings as a mother as it was about her old lover and the art pieces. She tells Gregory in the dream, "I never wanted kids anyway" after taking a toke of some weed and having her pregnant belly patted. But here's her daughter leaving her after Liz has just abandoned her son and it tears her up more than she could have ever expected, the affect that these children she had in service to a lie had on her.

by Anonymousreply 115June 3, 2018 12:03 AM

Ironic is also that in just a few years time they will be able to visit thier children in neutral countries like Canada or Mexico. Better yet the kids can visit them.

by Anonymousreply 116June 3, 2018 9:25 PM

It’s driving me a little nuts that the finale seems to be universally loved. And Russell and Rhys adore it and think it’s “absolutely the right ending.” I would have loved it if one of them said “Well, at least one of them should have been dead at the end as justice for all the ones they killed and all the ones whose lives they ruined.”

by Anonymousreply 117June 3, 2018 11:21 PM

To see Stan gun them down might have been morally satisfying, but out of keeping with the series. E and P are supervillains/super-antiheroes who have defied certain death countless times. If all that were a setup to Stan nabbin’ the bad guys, that would undermine the believability of this mastermind couple. Stan on the other hand, as E noted about American people, was weak and so of course he could be manipulated based on his graying reality. It’s because E and P live in a gray world that they know when to make black or white choices.

by Anonymousreply 118June 4, 2018 12:37 PM

Yes, I realized I wanted Stan to be the hero of show, because he was a decent guy most of the time and often sympathetic. But he was also a doofus—weak, an adulterer, and easily duped. And I guess he deserved his fate, but I also hope he takes good care of Henry.

by Anonymousreply 119June 4, 2018 1:53 PM

I thought the ending was perfect. Caught me off guard. Fabulous show.

by Anonymousreply 120June 4, 2018 2:06 PM

I’m not saying Stan should have shot her dead. I think it would have been good if either the US or Soviet border guards did it.

by Anonymousreply 121June 4, 2018 10:17 PM

I wish someone had shot Elizabeth.

by Anonymousreply 122June 5, 2018 12:35 AM

R122 Henry may get a passport one day...

by Anonymousreply 123June 5, 2018 12:42 AM

Punish the woman, it’s the rUSsian way.

by Anonymousreply 124June 5, 2018 4:43 AM

never watched it

the female lead makes me wanna puke buckets.

by Anonymousreply 125June 5, 2018 6:33 AM

^why? she's talented and beautiful!

by Anonymousreply 126June 5, 2018 3:53 PM

Finally, like anything interesting on DL the Breitbart, White Nationalistic/Russian misogynistic trolls appear. Sole purpose is to upset people sow dissention.

Fans of the show actually wound very enlightened about how Hostile Foreign Powers use agents to: Gain information (I fired Comey)

Influence Politicians and enact Pro Russian Policy (NRA $$ in the GOP/Nunes Rubio/TRUMP refusing Sanctions - for ANYTHING)

Blackmail via Honey Traps, male & female usually involving photos or videos. (Nearly all of the Dossier has proven true. There can be no doubt the Golden Showers tape is real - Trump visited a Las Vegas Sex show the mo prior and saw a GOlden Shower program) Trumps video certainly exists.

Bribery is a big motivator. Also emphasizing someone’s disaffection from power or respect. (All hismillions made via Money Laundering by his sons confession they have almost all stolen Russian Oligarch money)

Basically everything we learned on “The Americans” is solid Trump. Amazing since this show actually began in 2012.

by Anonymousreply 127June 6, 2018 12:29 AM

Look at all you silly people who don't realize Elizabeth was the hero.

by Anonymousreply 128June 6, 2018 2:39 AM

That's interesting, r128.

If she wasn't so cold and hadn't been the "enforcer," at least Henry and probably Paige would have ended up back in the USSR with mom and dad.

Her NOT being coddling and comforting helped drive them to independence, ultimately.

by Anonymousreply 129June 6, 2018 10:03 PM

Just watched the finale. Brilliant ending to a brilliant show, although I'm a tad sad at not having new episodes to look forward to. Like other posters, it is hard not to think of what will happen to the characters. I like that they left it unresolved about Renee. For a second I thought that when Paige went to Claudia's apartment she would run into Renee. Paige is going to have to do some fast talking to avoid being arrested by the FBI. Poor Stan will just grow more bitter and burnt out. I can't help thinking that one day Phillip and Elizabeth will bump into Claudia and Moscow.

by Anonymousreply 130September 30, 2018 2:24 AM

I am of the opinion that the ending would have been even stronger if it ended with Paige standing on the platform and Elizabeth’s d doer aye look back.

by Anonymousreply 131September 30, 2018 12:42 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!