Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Have you known someone who died in a freak accident?

A classmate's brother fell into a mixing vat at a bread factory.

My sister's father-in-law cut his hand off while sawing down a tree.

by Anonymousreply 478March 16, 2019 10:44 PM

One of my mother’s colleagues was hit by a city bus and killed while jogging with headphones in D.C., circa 2006.

by Anonymousreply 1May 15, 2018 12:45 AM

My high school biology class partner died in a motorcycle accident circa 1975.

by Anonymousreply 2May 15, 2018 1:07 AM

My second cousin, an alcoholic, got a bad case of delirium tremens and fell, smashing a glass sliding door. A shard flew at his jugular, slashing it.

by Anonymousreply 3May 15, 2018 1:09 AM

My brother-in-law's grandfather was killed after being kicked in the face by a cow on his farm.

by Anonymousreply 4May 15, 2018 1:11 AM

A guy I went to high school with died in a one car wreck in the Trans Am he had just bought and was driving home.

by Anonymousreply 5May 15, 2018 1:13 AM

My tenant died in a candy factory.

by Anonymousreply 6May 15, 2018 1:13 AM

A high school classmate died by getting run over by his own car when it was in reverse. What's funny is the popular kids who made fun of him when he was alive were all pretending to be devastated when he died

by Anonymousreply 7May 15, 2018 1:17 AM

Chuckles the Clown. Freak elephant accident.

by Anonymousreply 8May 15, 2018 1:19 AM

I didn't really know him because it happened a long time before I was born but my mom's cousin was killed by a lightning together with four of his friends when they were caught by a thunderstorm on some narrow ridge in the mountains. They were all still in their teens (the youngest one was just 14 years old). They were warned not to go up there because it looked like it was gonna rain but they were young and foolish and ignored those warnings.

by Anonymousreply 9May 15, 2018 1:19 AM

A lady I used to work with was kidnapped and never found. She is presumed dead.

by Anonymousreply 10May 15, 2018 1:21 AM

Colleague, a lawyer mysteriously drowned. Never found the body. Wife finally got him declared dead. Rumour is that he just disappeared.

by Anonymousreply 11May 15, 2018 1:25 AM

Classmate stole some fireworks from the opening ceremony for the Olympics and accidentally blew his own head off.

Relative by marriage eaten by a shark.

by Anonymousreply 12May 15, 2018 1:30 AM

When I was about 10 the 14 or 15 year old son of our pastor died of hanging during auto-erotic asphyxiation. I still remember my dad coming in my room on Sunday morning to tell me that he had died before we went off to church. Of course, they didn't mention the erotic part and made up a story that he'd been to a circus and was trying to replicate a stunt he'd seen there. Years later, I was reading Ann Landers or Dear Abby and there was a letter from a mom who'd lost her son warning about the danger of this. The letter was anonymous but was from the small town in Illinois where the pastor's family had moved right after their tragedy, and there were enough details that I knew it was about that kid.

by Anonymousreply 13May 15, 2018 1:32 AM

This is the opposite of death by freak accident; a freak survival incident, if you will: A friend's grandfather (in his younger, middle-aged days) was stabbed in the stomach area during a bar fight. He was obese, and the excess adipose tissue protected his vital organs, saving his life.

A former colleague of my uncle died in a freak accident while scuba diving. Unfortunately scuba diving deaths creep me out so much, I didn't bother pressing for details, so I don't know the full story (equipment malfunction I think?)

by Anonymousreply 14May 15, 2018 1:33 AM

A guy I went to high school with died of autoerotic asphyxiation. They didn't come right out and say it but he was found alone with something tied around his neck and they said it was NOT suicide. They called it a terrible accident, he was 16.

by Anonymousreply 15May 15, 2018 1:41 AM

Somewhere in my ancestry, a boy was riding in a wagon down the hill behind what is now my parent’s house. The wagon hit a hole and the wagon handle impaled him through the chest.

by Anonymousreply 16May 15, 2018 1:42 AM

Yes. A coworker in a chemical factory I worked in while going to college was in a large drum used for mixing big batches. It had multiple blades inside, high and low, that mixed the chemical slurry. The guy was inside it to do some repairs. He lowered himself through a trap at the top. There were protocols to follow, of course, but he neglected to "lock it out" with the appropriate tags. And someone around the corner saw the switch and flipped it "on."

So the guy was inside and the two sets of blades started turning, one high and one low. He would have had to duck and then jump and then duck, all while the blades were starting to go faster and faster. The plant - many huge buildings - was very loud. Someone did manage to hear screaming but it took a while to figure things out. By then it was too late. Closed coffin.

Another time a worker there wasn't noticed and he didn't notice a rounded train tanker car and got smashed and smeared between it and a building where there no clearance on the side when cars started moving. It was more awful because it went slowly, again, as he screamed but they couldn't stop it fast enough. It looked like a Jackson Pollack on the wall. Closed coffin.

A cousin was out on a river drunk with his friends, and he went for a swim as a companion went swooping by with a boat. Apparently the motor blades sliced him. The guy felt it but lied and they all went home. It took several days to find the body. He was all chewed up. Closed coffin.

Another cousin was a truck driver and had parked and was standing off the road. Another truck went by, threw a wheel for some reason and it landed on him. Closed coffin.

Another cousin (a lot of dead cousins) was working in an oil field and a drum exploded in his face. Yes, no viewing.

A college friend died in a closet in an apparent auto-asphyxiation accident. The family tried to claim he had been attacked in his apartment by his boyfriend's homophobic brothers, sexually abused and hanged. It apparently didn't look like that. Open coffin.

My partner's cousin decided he could make it through a flooded road. Off the truck went and he drowned in it. Open coffin.

Finally, a classmate was mad at her boyfriend and went out to sit in a car and listen to the radio. It was winter and there was snow on the ground. When her sister realized she had been gone a long time she checked on her. The car was running, the doors were locked, there were no other prints and she was dead. The autopsy showed she was electrocuted, but they never figured out how. Open coffin. It should have been closed. She looked beat up and I always wondered what had really happened.

Most of my friends and family tales are murders and suicides rather than accidents.

by Anonymousreply 17May 15, 2018 1:42 AM

You killed all those people, didn’t you, r17?

by Anonymousreply 18May 15, 2018 1:50 AM

R17 reminds me of that old punk song "People Who Died" by the very dead Jim Carroll.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19May 15, 2018 1:53 AM

My coworker died in his front yard while riding his riding lawn mower - only 32 years old.

by Anonymousreply 20May 15, 2018 1:55 AM

Sister of a friend stepped out on her deck for a smoke on a cold winter evening. She slipped on some ice, fell and hit her head, and was found days later frozen solid.

by Anonymousreply 21May 15, 2018 1:59 AM

Where my mom worked, a young guy was working on the roof of the building. He slipped and fell into a vat of hot tar. You’ve all seen how it steams in the summer on the highways. He fell in, and his screams still haunt the people who were working there that day.

by Anonymousreply 22May 15, 2018 2:02 AM

A classmate in high school was cutting the lawn on a riding mower after it had rained. The ditch in front of the area she was mowing was filled with water. She was cutting the grass going into the ditch, on too sharp of an angle, and the lawnmower tipped over trapping her underneath the water and she drowned.

by Anonymousreply 23May 15, 2018 2:03 AM

Now that's freak, r23.

My ex's cousin was using an electric weed wacker and somehow got electrocuted and died in the front yard when he was 16.

by Anonymousreply 24May 15, 2018 2:08 AM

R21 think of it this way, if that hadn't killed her, the smoking would have anyway

by Anonymousreply 25May 15, 2018 2:08 AM

Several tons of lumber fell off a truck and off a highway overpass onto my brother's car, killing him and making headlines by snarling area traffic for hours.

by Anonymousreply 26May 15, 2018 2:09 AM

This is some Final Destination shit!

by Anonymousreply 27May 15, 2018 2:11 AM

Two a guy in my grade was playing around on scaffolding lost his balance, fell off and died. The other guy was working on a car at a body shop on a Sunday and the lift malfunctioned causing the car to drop right on top of him.

by Anonymousreply 28May 15, 2018 2:12 AM

My dad’s uncle accidently cut his own head off in a lumber yard.

by Anonymousreply 29May 15, 2018 2:13 AM

My grand-aunt's friend had a brother who died eating peanut butter. He came home after school (no one was home), he took a big scoop and it lodged in his windpipe.

His mother came home from work, and found him dead on the couch.

by Anonymousreply 30May 15, 2018 2:33 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31May 15, 2018 2:38 AM

I once met someone at a get together. He was a late 50s maybe 60s guy something very prestigious at ucla or something. He had a young Latino boyfriend. Actually his bf ran in the same la circles as mark Jacobs now bf lol. Anyway the rich guy and his young bf went to Africa on a safari. They went to some restricted area they weren't suppose to go. The guy got stomped to death by an elephent! Very strange to read about a guy I met died like that. I looked up the bf Instagram- he made mention he lives in the guys honor. Now the boyfriend must have inherited $. Lives in a high rise in Miami

by Anonymousreply 32May 15, 2018 2:42 AM

A friend of mine's family had a gas-powered electric generator in their basement since they lived a ways out of town where they'd often lose utility power. It was properly vented to the outside, however, during a blizzard, the exhaust vent got blocked. My friend's brother went downstairs to get a six pack of Coke and never came back.

Another friend who was a private pilot took his family skiing in Aspen, but the engine failed and they crash landed in the forest. He survived with a broken back, but couldn't move and had to listen to his wife and children slowly die of internal injuries.

by Anonymousreply 33May 15, 2018 2:47 AM

Nobody be R17's friend.

Unless you have a death wish.

by Anonymousreply 34May 15, 2018 2:47 AM

A great uncle died in some kind of freak tree cutting accident that made the front page of the Springfield Missouri newspaper.

by Anonymousreply 35May 15, 2018 2:47 AM

[quote]Sister of a friend stepped out on her deck for a smoke on a cold winter evening. She slipped on some ice, fell and hit her head, and was found days later frozen solid.

See? Smoking kills.

by Anonymousreply 36May 15, 2018 2:50 AM

Everyone around me seems to die or disappear under mysterious circumstances. It's like I'm jinxed!

by Anonymousreply 37May 15, 2018 2:51 AM

Four girls who graduated from high school the year before me took a road trip to California. They were driving through the high desert when the driver fell asleep and hit a bridge abutment. They weren't found for about 18 hours. The car flipped and the driver and the front seat passenger were killed. The dead driver landed on the girl sitting behind her and that girl couldn't extricate herself from the car so the driver laid on top of her that entire time. We heard she was really messed up over that.

by Anonymousreply 38May 15, 2018 2:52 AM

Crazy stuff here

by Anonymousreply 39May 15, 2018 2:55 AM

In 2007, two college acquaintances—boyfriend and girlfriend, were driving in heavy rain. As the girl approached an intersection to make a right turn onto the highway, somehow the car hydroplaned and ended up driving underneath a bridge overpass embankment. They both died instantly.

I could never figure out how they were going fast enough to drive over a curb, up the embankment, and become lodged under the bridge.

by Anonymousreply 40May 15, 2018 3:05 AM

Once I met a lady whose sister died in a car accident: neither vehicle was going more than 30 mph - one was going 25, and the other even less. One ran a stop sign. Her sister, not wearing a seat belt, upon impact slipped under the steering wheel and died.

You all know the freights on a train? Well, I did not know this person, but a local man working in a port was crushed when a freight full of cargo broke of its tethers as it was being removed from a ship and landed on this poor guy.

by Anonymousreply 41May 15, 2018 3:05 AM

The local council was tidying up a park/reserve. Stack some big logs didn't secure them. Kid I knew played on them then they rolled and he was squashed.

by Anonymousreply 42May 15, 2018 3:07 AM

A classmate of mine went out to a local lake for a mass baptism. A thunderstorm came up, and she ran under a tree which was struck by lightning and killed her. Another classmate was killed when Northwest flight 255 crashed shortly after take off. He was driving on the road where it crashed.

by Anonymousreply 43May 15, 2018 3:08 AM

[quote]A lady I used to work with was kidnapped and never found. She is presumed dead.

She probably staged the whole thing to cover up the fact that she was transitioning.

by Anonymousreply 44May 15, 2018 3:11 AM

A girl I used to know dated a guy who fired a rifle in the woods while hunting and hit a man like over a mile away. I don't remember how far he really was but they were at least hundreds of yards and possibly even two miles apart. They didn't know each other and neither were alone when it happened so it really was an accident. The man died. There were tons of trees in that forest so for the bullet to miss them all and catch that poor guy called for some shitty karma.

by Anonymousreply 45May 15, 2018 3:14 AM

My parents' friends' daughter was eaten by crocodiles while diving in India. Her sister had been killed mountain climbing in Washington state a year earlier.

by Anonymousreply 46May 15, 2018 3:14 AM

Someone I went to college with (American) made a life for herself in the arts in Southeast Asia and even started a museum there. She became pregnant, and late in her pregnancy, she was bitten by a dog. The bite was mistreated, it became septic, and she and the fetus died.

by Anonymousreply 47May 15, 2018 3:20 AM

I was at this really boring dinner party during the first run of Sex and The City and fell out of the window while smoking. I don't regret it. the party was A BORE!

by Anonymousreply 48May 15, 2018 3:23 AM

A local judge's daughter was hiking near volcanoes in Hawaii about 20 years ago. She was near a caldera that was supposedly safe to be around when it unexpectedly erupted in a pyroclastic flow and it engulfed her. She basically melted instantly.

by Anonymousreply 49May 15, 2018 3:27 AM

R29 is the worst I've heard so far.

My brother's friend in 8th grade got run over by a garbage truck after school. In front of the school. On his moped (it was the late 70s) After we had gotten dismissed and there were crowds of kids. And his younger sister witnessed it. I didn't see it, I just heard a bunch of kids screaming and saw them running in different directions. Total chaos.

And a coworker's husband got run over by a garbage truck while he was riding his bike to work. She asked me to come to the wake and all her relatives asked, "was he wearing a helmet?" Jesus Christ. After hearing it a dozen times I almost started laughing. Then after the funeral she told everyone her lawyer had said she'll never have to work again after the settlement. Then everyone commented, "you're so lucky. "

My brother's best friend hadn't been feeling well for months. He thought it was a flu that he couldn't shake. Finally he went to the doctor cuz he felt so run down and shitty. The doctor said he had cancer and gave him less than 3 months. The poor bastard died 5 days later. He was only 45 years old.

My mom's best friend had dinner and got really bad heartburn. She told her husband she felt like she was gonna throw up. She ran to the bathroom, threw up, and had a massive heart attack on the spot and died.

My uncle was having dialysis and afterwards his wife was taking him in his wheelchair out to the car. He h as d a massive heart attack where he just flew out of his wheelchair and landed on the pavement.

by Anonymousreply 50May 15, 2018 3:34 AM

Great uncle was a commercial diver who died after rushing to get redressed in a decompression chamber and his sweater caused a static spark that led to a fire or explosion or something. My dad decided not to be a diver shortly after.

by Anonymousreply 51May 15, 2018 3:34 AM

[quote]A classmate of mine went out to a local lake for a mass baptism. A thunderstorm came up, and she ran under a tree which was struck by lightning and killed her.

Was she looking for her penmanship medal?

by Anonymousreply 52May 15, 2018 3:44 AM

What an odd yet completely interesting idea for a thread OP. For me the 2nd story at R33 sounds just horrible.

by Anonymousreply 53May 15, 2018 3:46 AM

R17, don't you know anyone who gets cremated?

by Anonymousreply 54May 15, 2018 3:47 AM

My mom's friend worked as a cook for special events. On one of those occasions a huge pot with hot spaguetti fell onto her, and well, she kind of recovered externally but she was screwed up inside and died. Can't get more freaky.

by Anonymousreply 55May 15, 2018 3:49 AM

A guy I went to school with was driving a delivery truck in a rainstorm. Lightning hit a tree in front of him, and a huge limb came down blocking the road and missed crushing his truck by inches. He jumped out of the truck, probably thinking how lucky he was to have avoided the tree, stepped on a downed power line and was electrocuted.

by Anonymousreply 56May 15, 2018 3:55 AM

My mothers’ 14 year old brother got on a train and stuck his head out of a train window and met a steel pole. “His brain fell out” mom used to say helpfully.

Her other brother started seeing visions(hallucinations) of snakes, was about 19. His father hit him one day after hearing of his hallucinations and her brother walked out of the house. Nobody ever saw him again.

by Anonymousreply 57May 15, 2018 4:01 AM

R56 that's some Final Destination shit there !

I am loving this horrible, gruesome thread OP! Hope it closes out at 600 replies. This will provide some great ideas for the next FD movie.

by Anonymousreply 58May 15, 2018 4:08 AM

R57, damn! How old was your mother? Did she like him? She seems a little macabre. Not that I mind, just saying.

by Anonymousreply 59May 15, 2018 4:10 AM

I was in saturday detention (yes,it was a real thing) and this really cute long haired stoner named Alan was in there as well.Long story short,I end up blowing him in the bathroom ,we walk out front and asmymom is pulling up he gets hit by a car right in front of the school. I didnt see the impact,but I heard it,and saw him laying on the road. I freaked out a little because I had JUST sucked him off and could still taste him in my mouth .At least he died satisfied.

by Anonymousreply 60May 15, 2018 4:12 AM

The woman standing next to me in my graduation pic from med school was also my dorm mate and friend.

She and her husband were murdered one night in their bedroom in 1988. Very famous Larchmont murders. The killer confessed in his AA group.

by Anonymousreply 61May 15, 2018 4:15 AM

BTW I’m R57 and R61. My mother loved her brother. I think she was 16. My sister and I finally told her when we were in our teens, that “mom, we get that brains fall out when heads and poles meet”. She always cried when she talked about him. I don’t think she knew how else to describe the accident, “easy on the brain business mom” usually did the trick.

by Anonymousreply 62May 15, 2018 4:23 AM

Classmate's younger brother threw a kegger when the parents were out of town. He drank too much and similar to a previous story he walked through a sliding glass door slashed the corotid artery and bled to death. Main difference was it was in a house full of drunk kids, who promptly fled screaming.

by Anonymousreply 63May 15, 2018 4:32 AM

A friend from college fell down an empty elevator shaft and died. He was about 25.

by Anonymousreply 64May 15, 2018 4:35 AM

R57 R61 cont.

In 1991, I was finishing up my residency and my bf was friends with the Chief Resident of the ER and his gf, a dentist. We didn’t hear from him for a week or so and then I had a crazy dream that he was lying dead in his tub with his wrists slashed. I told my bf to go check on his friend to which my dimwitted bf said “ uhh, y’know I’m letting him have his space”. (fucking pothead, too)

The next week, the gf of the disappeared guy calls me and says “I have the keys to his apartment and I think he has a new girlfriend”. She asked me to go with her. I was afraid we’d find some girls’ panties and people would kill each other, but I’m kind of gullible if my friends need me. So off we went to Tarrytown at 9:30 pm. He lived in a strange attic apartment. All lights were off. So I stayed on the stairs and the idiot gf goes in. She said, “he’s here, he’s dead”. I flew up two flights of stairs , the gf was having screaming hysterics and actually bouncing off the walls. So I saw the dead guy who had done himself in execution style. There was a disinfectant swab and he was on a mattress on the floor with red foam coming out of his mouth. He had stolen the drugs from the ER.

I had to wrestle this screaming girl so she wouldn’t touch him. Dragged her to the eerily clean kitchen but the phone was disconnected. I dragged her down to the second floor and the poor couple who lived there were in their pajamas outside. They called the cops and I just focused on the handsome black guy in his pajamas. I was so impressed. They asked us to sit in their kitchen while the cops came but the gf was doing cartwheels off the walls and I dragged her out so she wouldn’t destroy their kitchen. Kept an eye out on the guys pecs and abs though.

Well, the police gave me a lecture on never, ever entering an apartment with anyones’ key. They said it could have got me into legal problems. Then the cop said “ she needed someone stupid to go with her and picked you”. He didn’t mean I was stupid, I knew that. By the time I got back home, the entire ER dept. was camped out in our house. Since I was the psych resident, only I got to hear the past history from the dead guys’ parents and spent hours consoling them. The official line was “cerebral aneurysm”, standard for suicides.

I hate driving near Tarrytown.

by Anonymousreply 65May 15, 2018 5:01 AM

As someone with relatives suffering from schizophrenia, the second story at R57 is somehow sadder and more fucked-up to me than the first. He's either long-dead by now, or one of those crazy homeless panhandlers you see walking around babbling to themselves. Hope the father was proud of himself.

by Anonymousreply 66May 15, 2018 5:05 AM

My late partner's ex wife slipped in the shower and knocked herself out on the tile floor. Her body blocked the drain in the shower pan, and she drowned in two inches of water.

by Anonymousreply 67May 15, 2018 5:17 AM

When I was a little kid, living in the Hyde Park area of Chicago in 1988, a little old lady we knew was murdered in her bathroom while she was on the toilet.

Apparently, she didn’t hear the intruder as he came in. The murderer ransacked her house and was never caught.

by Anonymousreply 68May 15, 2018 5:35 AM

R66 That’s how I felt too. Clearly my poor hallucinating uncle should not have been hit by his father. The family has been looking for him since. I’m sure he was hit more than once and mistreated (all people lie) badly, but my mother cleaned up the story for us kids. We could have accepted an accident but this is just lifelong pain and fear.

I have another cousin who suffered similarly and he lives in a homeless park in Zurich. There is family there, so there’s some comfort.

by Anonymousreply 69May 15, 2018 5:54 AM

My mom went to high school with a geologist who died when Mount St. Helens erupted. He's still buried out there somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 70May 15, 2018 6:07 AM

[quote]My parents' friends' daughter was eaten by crocodiles while diving in India. Her sister had been killed mountain climbing in Washington state a year earlier.

This is why introverts live longer!

by Anonymousreply 71May 15, 2018 6:23 AM

OP's mom.

by Anonymousreply 72May 15, 2018 6:31 AM

One of my mom’s high school friends later married and went on a camping trip to Yellowstone with her husband and two sons, in a car pulling a trailer. After visiting Yellowstone, they found a campground west of the park on the Madison River and decided to stay there for a day or two. That night, a 7.5 earthquake struck the region (Hebgen Lake/Madison River Canyon, Montana) and a whole mountain came down atop the campground. They and 15 other campers/vacationers were buried under 300 feet of earth, boulders, and other debris (trees, brush, etc.) when the quake hit just before midnight. None of the 15 were ever recovered; they are still buried there to this day. Nine other people were also killed outside of the slide area. This happened in August of 1959.

by Anonymousreply 73May 15, 2018 6:40 AM

I love this thread and usually read this once a year. Good stuff here, that dummy in Canada who bounced into the window to show it's unbreakability, and it popped out of the frame. What a fucking way to go!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74May 15, 2018 6:42 AM

OMG! R73 I feel stupid pressing the like button unless it’s a funny comment.

by Anonymousreply 75May 15, 2018 6:44 AM

^^^^ Sorry - that should read “none of the 19 were ever recovered” (15 in addition to the family of four),

by Anonymousreply 76May 15, 2018 6:57 AM

My partner's grand-uncle died in hospital. Not particularly unusual, except he'd only been brought in because he was found passed out drunk in the street. They were letting him sleep it off. Unfortunately, in the middle of the night, he woke up desperately thirsty, not sure exactly where he was, and wandered around looking for something to drink. Whatever it was that he found (mother-in-law says formaldehyde), it wasn't the good stuff and they found him the next morning, dead, pickled from the insides.

by Anonymousreply 77May 15, 2018 7:17 AM

One of my mother's acquaintances had a son who, with his friends went to Niagara Falls. There is an area along a low wall separating a walkway from the river just below the wall on the Canadian side where the river is just below the wall, no slope or brushy area. This kid got up on the wall and started showing off to his friends trying to balance on the wall, slipped, fell into the river and was swept over the Horseshoe Falls all in front of his friends. The Iroquois Indians who live in that general area of New York and Ontario have always maintained in their mythology that Niagara Falls is a place of evil spirits and I don't think they mean Vodka.

I also knew a guy who delivered bread to various stores in town and happened to get behind a large pickup truck carrying scrap metal. One of the heavier scraps jarred loose and crashed through his windshield hitting him square in the head. He had the presence of mind to get his van out of traffic and then died. He had a closed casket viewing.

by Anonymousreply 78May 15, 2018 7:18 AM

A coworker, an executive secretary, and her family disappeared on their way to a Florida vacation. The official story was that their small plane went down in the Everglades but no plane was ever found. A week or so before this happened, she received a dozen wilted black roses at work. Her husband was a drug rep and one week following their disappearance there was a large drug bust in our city. We thought there was a connection between him and the drug bust and that they went into the witness protection program.

by Anonymousreply 79May 15, 2018 7:26 AM

[quote]A classmate in high school was cutting the lawn on a riding mower after it had rained. The ditch in front of the area she was mowing was filled with water. She was cutting the grass going into the ditch, on too sharp of an angle, and the lawnmower tipped over trapping her underneath the water and she drowned.

Same thing happened to a family friend except his riding mower fell into a pond and trapped him. It was extra sad because his young son saw what happened and ran to help, but he was too small to save his dad and always blamed himself.

by Anonymousreply 80May 15, 2018 7:31 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81May 15, 2018 8:01 AM

R80 Jesus F-ing Christ that is so tragic! I am crying after reading that. Bless his little heart. I really hope he comes to find some peace with that horrible situation.

And I have a few to add. One of my friends during high school was hit by a truck while crossing a busy road (although it was during the evening and it wasn't super busy). Unfortunately he wasn't killed instantly, he lingered for a bit in the hospital. I still think of him. Nice guy.

My parents' friends' daughter was down in Peru and she and her boyfriend were taking a bus to another city that went along a precarious mountain road. The bus slipped off the mountain side and they were killed. That was a tough day for the neighborhood. And what was worse is that she was some genius scientist researcher, like seriously smart.

Very recently another neighbor of my parents, who was a very bad alcoholic, passed out after drinking in her home and vomited. She choked to death.

I had a friend from grade school who was killed with his gf while driving down a freeway in Iowa. They apparently slipped and crossed into the oncoming lanes and were hit by a semi truck. I think the worst part of the story is that he left behind a younger sister. They're parents died in the late 90s from AIDS. So the sister is the only one left in the family. She's an awesome gal though and she seems all the stronger from it. I should mention that I hadn't seen him in years before his death, but it really freaked me out

This one isn't an accident, nor is it freak, but one of my good friends from prof school became mentally unstable and went to his doctor's house and shot him. The police showed up minutes later and, instead of going calmly, he brandished the gun inciting the cops to shoot and kill him. That was probably one of the saddest things I've experienced. He was such a sweet caring guy. We still have no idea what the hell caused him to go through with such a thing.

Lastly, I wasn't alive, but a great great aunt on my father's side was walking down a city street and a condemned building collapsed and fell on her.

by Anonymousreply 82May 15, 2018 8:04 AM

I girl who was one grade younger than I was driving a car of kids home drunk late on a rainy night - she was a high school junior and I was a senior. We were both varsity track at the time. She was a lovely, wonderful person and a good if not best friend. The death was really macabre and terrible for all of us - her driver's side window was open and she was essentially decapitated when she swerved off the road. Her friends survived and with little injuries. Fortunately, I was not at that particular party - though I was at many similar ones. It was a terrible high school trauma and one that impacted us all pretty heavily at a young age. Life goes on as we say and I had forgotten all about it years ago until just now.

by Anonymousreply 83May 15, 2018 8:20 AM

My aunt was riding home from college with three friends. She and her best friend switched seats (her from front seat to back) just before someone hit them head-on. The best friend was killed instantly. Seriously messed up my aunt for many years.

by Anonymousreply 84May 15, 2018 9:02 AM

A guy in high school lived on a farm and his job was to shovel hay. When he shoveled the huge pile from the bottom, it collapsed and suffocated him.

by Anonymousreply 85May 15, 2018 9:24 AM

My Aunt drowned at the YMCA in Santa Monica. Devastated my family. Shocking tragedy.

by Anonymousreply 86May 15, 2018 9:25 AM

Here we go with the absolute cunt aiming to hit and kill. yet again, right? Do they not care about the asshole brandishing his gun and running up and down Folsom as his cries were only about getting another victim in his scopes?

Weren't you so wonderful then?

by Anonymousreply 87May 15, 2018 9:49 AM

When I was in 8th grade my shop teacher was showing the class how to use a table saw. His hand slipped and he cut off his thumb right in front of the entire class. He didn't die but it was pretty intense.

by Anonymousreply 88May 15, 2018 9:51 AM

In the 70's my uncle pulled out of his driveway and was decapitated by the bucket of a dumper truck that came up on his blindside....the driver of the dumper was my parents next door neighbour!

by Anonymousreply 89May 15, 2018 9:55 AM

My dad's neighbor ran in the house to answer the phone and escaped hogs ate her baby. The baby was in a stroller. The mother went directly into a mental institution.

by Anonymousreply 90May 15, 2018 10:31 AM

[quote]My second cousin, an alcoholic, got a bad case of delirium tremens and fell, smashing a glass sliding door. A shard flew at his jugular, slashing it.

Yo...THIS is some “Final Destination” shit right here.

by Anonymousreply 91May 15, 2018 10:40 AM

My Mom's childhood friend and neighbor saw his Dad die in an accident involving a wood chipper. We were always weirded out by him when we were kids and she explained what had happen. I guess after the accident he did a ton of drugs in the 70s and 80s.

by Anonymousreply 92May 15, 2018 11:23 AM

I know someone who knew this person in the article below.. What an awful way to go..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93May 15, 2018 11:29 AM

Worked with a guy who told me about a guy getting "gutted" at his old job. He worked at a lumber yard and his coworker cut one of those metal bands that holds the huge stack of lumber together and the band somehow didn't break correctly. The band,with all that tension behind it,sliced through the guys abdomen area and almost cut him in half. He died slowly and was telling everyone to tell his wife and kids that he loved them. My coworker said that all of his guts kind of oozed out and the guy had a weird look on his face. They blocked his view so he didn't freak out.

by Anonymousreply 94May 15, 2018 11:36 AM

When I was a freshman in high school, a classmate was killed when he fell while climbing a tree onto a power line that ran through the tree's branches. Just days earlier, he had been voted the freshman male for the homecoming court (can't remember what the hell they used to call that). If anyone is on here from southwest Ohio who lived in the area in 1979, you may remember it.

by Anonymousreply 95May 15, 2018 11:37 AM

Harry Chapin had a friend who died in a freak accident.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96May 15, 2018 11:50 AM

I had to stop reading this post. Too depressing!

by Anonymousreply 97May 15, 2018 12:20 PM

My friend's dad worked at a hydro power plant, he strapped himself up and lowered himself into the turbine to fix something, got caught underneath and drowned. Awful.

by Anonymousreply 98May 15, 2018 1:00 PM

A guy where my Dad worked was taking a nap on a bench during his lunch break. A coworker thought it would be funny to wake him up by taking the air compressor mounted on the wall above him and shoot air up his ass (thru his pants). He blew the guys colon out and killed him.

by Anonymousreply 99May 15, 2018 1:16 PM

R99.....was that idiot coworker charged with anything because of the death?

by Anonymousreply 100May 15, 2018 1:47 PM

A friend had been saying he was not feeling well for a few days, being dizzy when he lay down. One night he got up to go to the bathroom, tripped because of dizziness, and fell and smashed his head into the bathroom wall. He cut his head and collapsed unconscious. He regained consciousness and called an ambulance but died in hospital.

by Anonymousreply 101May 15, 2018 2:24 PM

Lordy..DL's equivalent to "1000 Ways To Die". Brrrr!

R54 Cremation used to be forbidden in Catholicism, and Judaism too, IINM. A lot of people just can't handle the idea of it, and that's their business.

I loathe practical humor-and avenge myself mercilessly on anyone foolish enough to make me a victim of it. I will positively mortify you (MARY!, but with teeth..LOL). R99 reminded me of automotive school, one of the first things we were told in the shop was that if anyone even looked like they would abuse the compressed air system, they would be discharged immediately, tossed out of the school for all time and tuition would be forfeited. Damned good policy-and no one in my class ever violated it.

My own grandma died under what are still somewhat circumstances. She was discovered dead with her doggie in the dining area off the garage side of the house-the car was still running and the garage door was closed. The passageway door to the house was solid and insulated, nevertheless, the CO got in and killed her. No one suspected suicide, in spite of a life filled with one tragedy after another, she was devoutly religious and would never commit a mortal sin. Neighbors told me that she used to leave the garage door half up as she warmed up the car-I was thinking that maybe she operated it again, thinking it would keep going up, instead of reversing direction, which is what they all do. But she was a Nebraska farm girl with a sound working knowledge of machinery...who knows. I suspect I never will.

by Anonymousreply 102May 15, 2018 3:55 PM

[quote]My dad's neighbor ran in the house to answer the phone and escaped hogs ate her baby.

I'm sorry, but I find this outrageously funny.

by Anonymousreply 103May 15, 2018 3:58 PM

^^ somewhat MYSTERIOUS circumstances ^^

by Anonymousreply 104May 15, 2018 4:02 PM

My baby was eaten by a dingo

by Anonymousreply 105May 15, 2018 4:19 PM

A girl I went to high school and college with was electrocuted in her bathtub when her hair dryer fell in the tub.....this was in 1985 so the circuit breakers in bathroom outlets were not standard. It was such a random event.

by Anonymousreply 106May 15, 2018 4:31 PM

Man who owned the local hardware store who would give anyone the shirt off his back, was kind to every living soul, never raised his voice, always had a smile for everyone,k was lighting the pilot light on a heating stove when it blew up in his face and he caught on fire. his wife said he ran thru the house screaming until he collapsed and died. to suffer so when all he was, was good....................

by Anonymousreply 107May 15, 2018 4:45 PM

A kid from middle school was drunk in a convertible. He fell out in the back, the car reversed and crushed his head.

by Anonymousreply 108May 15, 2018 4:49 PM

[quote]I girl who was one grade younger than I

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 109May 15, 2018 4:49 PM

None of these stories ever even happened. Couldn’t have. You’re all a bu

by Anonymousreply 110May 15, 2018 4:50 PM

When I first moved to my small town of less than 10,000 people, a man driving a wonder bread truck in the winter went into a diabetic coma and drove the truck over the guardrails and into the Allegheny River. He came to and was able to climb onto the top of his truck but was screaming for help and that he couldn't swim. He was too far out and no one could help him in time and the truck sank with him on top of it.

Two different guys that I knew, two different years, got out of the shower and walked into their living room and slipped and hit their head on the corner of a coffee table and died. I always questioned this as the odds have to be astronomical that this happened to 2 guys in the same small town within 2 years of each other.

by Anonymousreply 111May 15, 2018 5:04 PM

A 20-year-old friend died by autoerotic asphyxiation. His dad found him in the basement, dead, and naked but for a leather harness. His parents were religious conservatives and never recovered from their grief.

by Anonymousreply 112May 15, 2018 5:25 PM

Had a coworker who lived with his elderly dad. He came home and found his dad dead in the bathroom, sitting on the toilet fully clothed with his bloody arm over the sink and his hands holding bandages, with the sink running and a surprised look on his face. When the cops got there they traced a trail of blood out to the backyard to his rose bushes.

Apparently he was pruning them, got cut up pretty good, and started bleeding profusely because he was on blood thinners. Thought he could clean and bandage himself up.

Death by roses!

by Anonymousreply 113May 15, 2018 5:25 PM

Two struck by lightning. One was on a golf course. The second was biking with her husband in a forest preserve when a sudden storm came up. They were rushing to get home when a tree struck by lightning fell on her.

The third was the daughter of a co-worker who was riding her motorcycle and was hit by a man with Alzheimer's. He left the scene without even knowing he'd hit someone and it wasn't until days later until he went to use the car again and found glass on the passenger seat and called his kids who figured out he was the hit and run driver. Very sad story all around.

by Anonymousreply 114May 15, 2018 5:31 PM

I was crushed by a giant falling helmet.

by Anonymousreply 115May 15, 2018 5:39 PM

[quote] She would’ve been one grade younger than me!

Actually, r109, you are wrong and the poster you "oh deared" was correct. Play it out: "She was one grade younger than I was in school," not "she was one grade younger than me was in school."

by Anonymousreply 116May 15, 2018 5:42 PM

I went to high school with a girl who was one of eight kids. Her dad was a prominent doctor in town and leader in the Catholic church the family attended. He was found dead in their basement of autoerotic asphyxiation gone awry—which judging by this thread is apparently not really such a freak accident, but rather common.

by Anonymousreply 117May 15, 2018 5:48 PM

I’m experiencing secondhand mortification for the nude victims of autoerotic asphyxiation.

by Anonymousreply 118May 15, 2018 5:49 PM

My fifth grade teacher's 18yo son came home for his first spring break and got sick when mowing the lawn. Doctors said it might be Addison's and he needed more testing, but he postponed it for a couple.of days since his elderly grandmother was very ill. His parents flew to deal with the grandmother, came back two days later and he was dead, sitting at the computer, search results for symptoms up on the screen.

by Anonymousreply 119May 15, 2018 6:05 PM

Fremdschämen R118. A great German word.

R119 Was it Addison's?

by Anonymousreply 120May 15, 2018 6:13 PM

nope but i know some freaks.

by Anonymousreply 121May 15, 2018 6:14 PM

Does getting shot in the face by your ex-husband when leaving divorce court count as a freak accident?

by Anonymousreply 122May 15, 2018 6:15 PM

Apparently yes, r120. I found out about it because of some article the teacher's wife wrote, about how her experience with Addison's helped her tell a woman at her church that her symptoms needed to be addressed ASAP.

by Anonymousreply 123May 15, 2018 6:19 PM

My dad's first two wives both died in the bathroom, one passing out drunk in a full tub, and the other slipping while getting out of the tub, hitting her head and drowning, also drunk.

by Anonymousreply 124May 15, 2018 6:48 PM

R124 dad= Drew Peterson

by Anonymousreply 125May 15, 2018 6:52 PM

Or Robert Wagner, maybe, r125.

by Anonymousreply 126May 15, 2018 6:54 PM

I knew a fat drag queen who died in the early 1980's. It was summer in Indianapolis and she was wearing flip flops, hot pants, a halter top and a do-rag. While walking through the produce department of her local grocery, she stepped on a piece of stray produce, slipped, fell backwards, hit her head on the concrete floor and was dead within hours.

True story.

by Anonymousreply 127May 15, 2018 6:58 PM

Motorcycle death is not a "freak accident".

by Anonymousreply 128May 15, 2018 7:05 PM

R128, most of these are not freak accidents, I agree with you. Automobile accidents, being hit by a bus, Darwin awards, etc. are not freak “accidents.”

And I’m pissed at R125, I was going to say the same thing and he stole it. Stole it, I say! Lol.

by Anonymousreply 129May 15, 2018 7:42 PM

R94 that's fucked up. "His guts oozed out of him and he had a weird look on his face ".

Like this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130May 15, 2018 8:42 PM

Three: the first two were teammates on my elementary school soccer team. The 1st, with whom I shared a birthday, was at boarding school and after a Coke machine failed to release his can, shook the machine and it fell toward him. I'm not sure exactly how it happened but the weight of the machine fell completely on his skull, killing him. He was a really sweet kid.

2. Years later when I was home from college working at a sunglasses store, the boyfriend of one of my co-workers who had also been on my team was killed when the shoddily constructed "crawlavator" that took people up to bungee jump collapsed.he died in front of his girlfriend and his best friend.

3. A beautiful and highly intelligent classmate of mine in high school was sitting on the hood of her boyfriend's truck during protest, perhaps holding a sign, fell off and was crushed by the rear wheels.

I really liked all three but wasn't close with any of them. The girl who was run over and I both left for boarding school the same year. The accident happened during my first year of college.

by Anonymousreply 131May 15, 2018 8:42 PM

I'm sure they were all cute but they couldn't live forever.

by Anonymousreply 132May 15, 2018 8:47 PM

Family lore states that one male relative died in the '50's or '60's when he drove a logging truck in the Lake Tahoe area. He was standing next to his truck, loaded with logs, when the chain holding the logs broke, and he was crushed. I see that now logging trucks have steel supports instead of just the chains.

Another male relative died delivering furniture around the same time. The company had delivery guys work in pairs, and the story I heard was that if one guy failed to return to the truck from whatever apartment they delivered to, his partner would assume he was getting lucky with the lady of the house, and would just leave and finish deliveries himself. My relative did not return to the truck, but instead of trying out the new sofa, he was having a fatal heart attack in the stairwell.

by Anonymousreply 133May 15, 2018 8:54 PM

By no means an accident but I always think it’s freaky that a guy I went to elementary school with was put to death by the state of NC

by Anonymousreply 134May 15, 2018 9:04 PM

A tree cutter in my town got his boot stuck in the chipper and it sucked him in and spit him out. Right in front of his elderly customer.

by Anonymousreply 135May 15, 2018 9:20 PM

I can't believe none of you (or almost none) are ending your posts with

"And then s/he died."

by Anonymousreply 136May 15, 2018 9:23 PM

I knew a guy who got chopped in half by the bed of his brand new dump truck...and then he died.

by Anonymousreply 137May 15, 2018 9:29 PM

[quote]My parents' friends' daughter was down in Peru and she and her boyfriend were taking a bus to another city that went along a precarious mountain road. The bus slipped off the mountain side and they were killed. ...And what was worse is that she was some genius scientist researcher, like seriously smart.

Debatable.

by Anonymousreply 138May 15, 2018 9:37 PM

That reminds, r137, that a farm kid I went to junior high with was crushed to death by the bed of a dump truck when it somehow collapsed from the tilted position.

by Anonymousreply 139May 15, 2018 9:44 PM

BTW, good thread idea, OP. Some gruesome shit in here.

by Anonymousreply 140May 15, 2018 9:45 PM

Yeah, this is definitely Dl's equivalent to "1000 Ways To Die". Does anyone remember the episode where a woman sat on a photocopier to copy her genitals and somehow managed to get electrocuted? Here's another episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141May 15, 2018 10:18 PM

In the 60s my dad worked in an iron works where they had large vats of molten steel moving around a few inches off the floor. A worker fell into the path of one and one of these vats caught the back of his heels and rolled him feet to head like I carpet. Apparently fatalities were common in that place it was essentially a Victorian system.

by Anonymousreply 142May 15, 2018 10:24 PM

distant cousin died in a port a john while taking a shit and no one knew where he was. they found him the next day.

by Anonymousreply 143May 15, 2018 10:26 PM

That's one for a thread on the World's Least Dignified Deaths, r143. What did he die from, anyway?

by Anonymousreply 144May 15, 2018 10:28 PM

My sister's former boyfriend had a brother who went on vacation with his family to some fancy beach maybe it was in Mexico.

Mother, father, son, daughter

The boy was by himself in the water and got caught in an undertow and started to drown. The mother immediately ran into the water to save him was caught as well and the father followed. All three drowned.

The little girl was on the beach the only survivor.

by Anonymousreply 145May 15, 2018 10:45 PM

Heart attack, R144, But he was like, 42 so that was very unexpected...

by Anonymousreply 146May 15, 2018 10:50 PM

Sorry. R17 here. I keep remembering others. I'll just mention three.

I'm surprised other people don't know many people who've died peculiarly. In St. Louis it seems to be the rule. I haven't included anyone I've killed here. The thread's about accidents, not anything else. Nothing fake in my experiences here, honestly. I certainly don't have to make it up. The others people have posted sound true, too.

On South St. Louis an immigrant Russian reopened an old baker shop and was making a go of it. The old set-up of bakery downstairs and residence upstairs. And they had very good, very authentic and interesting breads and pastries there, different from the German-style St. Louis usually has in the old bakeries. The baker started the big oven up not realizing his wife was inside cleaning. I guess it was big enough that that most of her body was in it, reaching back, and the gas flames came on and she was out pretty much instantly but he didn't know. He didn't find her for a while. Two small kids. About three months later the story was in the newspaper that he finally went down to the basement and killed himself. And, yes, to respond to the person asking if I didn't know anyone who was cremated. She was.

An elementary schoolmate was spinning a dart on the end of a string he'd tied to it. It came loose and went straight into his eye. It was going fast enough that the flight - the feathers at the back, were sticking out of the socket when the family found him lying in the back yard. Open coffin, interestingly. But you could tell. Poor Bill.

Another Bill was a senior in high school at our little school when I was a freshman. He and some friends would go down by the Arch where the trains go into tunnels amid the landscaping and "jump the trains" from a tunnel entrance. One night Bill missed. His friends didn't see him on the train roof so when the time came they climbed down and jumped off - the trains couldn't go fast through downtown and across the river. They didn't know he had hit the end of the train and fell off. At least that's what they figure, because he landed on the tracks and was run over by trains through the night. Closed coffin. A big mess. One of the friends who left him was the son of a funeral director so I heard the funeral was free.

by Anonymousreply 147May 15, 2018 11:37 PM

Oh, and I agree about the "freak accident" complaints. But one person's freak demise is another person's humdrum "your own fault" yawn. To the latter I'll just note that this isn't about true-life FINAL DESTINATION shit.

Or is it?

But being cooked in an oven by your loving husband does seem more freakish than tripping and impaling oneself on a golf club, which more closely fits the norms the purists would want to apply.

by Anonymousreply 148May 15, 2018 11:42 PM

[quote]That's one for a thread on the World's Least Dignified Deaths, [R143]. What did he die from, anyway?

Ennui.

by Anonymousreply 149May 15, 2018 11:43 PM

[quote] And, yes, to respond to the person asking if I didn't know anyone who was cremated. She was.

Ha! I'm the person who asked that but I wasn't quite expecting cremation to BE the freak accident.

by Anonymousreply 150May 16, 2018 12:00 AM

Some of these "freak accidents" sound like someone got away with murder.

by Anonymousreply 151May 16, 2018 12:06 AM

Everyone in this thread is an example of death by freak accident

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152May 16, 2018 12:20 AM

My dad accidentally killed a hobo on his prom night.

by Anonymousreply 153May 16, 2018 1:01 AM

Yes.....

by Anonymousreply 154May 16, 2018 1:03 AM

I want to know more about the Hobo Prom.

by Anonymousreply 155May 16, 2018 1:09 AM

I was terrified to walk home after reading this thread. I walked past a guy running a weedwhacker and was sure something god-awful would happen!

by Anonymousreply 156May 16, 2018 1:10 AM

Hobos have proms?

by Anonymousreply 157May 16, 2018 1:11 AM

I was going to wash windows after dinner, but it involves a ladder and after this thread, skip it.

by Anonymousreply 158May 16, 2018 1:18 AM

Does this qualify?

When I was five we lived a couple of blocks away from an unguarded train crossing. I was in the front yard playing when a neighbor came over and told my dad a car had been hit there. We all walked down the street to gawk.

"That looks like Aunt Alice's car," my dad said, referring to his sister. I noticed a bumper sticker that had always fascinated me on my aunt's car.

"It IS Aunt Alice's car!" I said.

It was. She had been killed instantly. I don't remember what happened next but I do remember being back in the yard a few minutes later and starting to play with my friend again and my father falling on his knees in front of the house, yelling at me, "Don't you understand? She's dead! She's dead!"

by Anonymousreply 159May 16, 2018 1:46 AM

In the winter I ski and in the summer I hike, in the Alps. In fact I have vertigo and don't do anything scary in either season. You would be shocked how GORY and DEADLY these past-times are. Also in Zermatt people die every winter getting drunk après ski and falling on the icy roads hitting their heads, and never waking up the next morning. I wear those stretchy ice cleats when I go out. People are sliced and smashed daily on the slopes. Assholes run into kids and kill them. People ski off slope and die die die. Or they get rescued and get huge bills for the rescue. Every year I meet rich married fathers who are skiing alone for the day because someone in their family has done something stupid that has cost him 10K minimum and they complain about a ruined vacation and I listen and then say Skiing in the Alps is expensive and dangerous - maybe you shouldn't come back.

by Anonymousreply 160May 16, 2018 1:46 AM

I'm going to be extra cautious in the shower so I don't bang my head, pass out and drown in 2 inches of water.

by Anonymousreply 161May 16, 2018 1:47 AM

R159 your dad sure sounds like a drama queen to yell that to a 5 year old.

by Anonymousreply 162May 16, 2018 2:03 AM

My drunk cousin shot his 5 yr old daughter in the head.

Her older brother drowned in a well when he was 7.

Third world countries are very dangerous for children.

by Anonymousreply 163May 16, 2018 2:18 AM

When I read the obits, and there’s a story like many of the above, I roll my eyes and think “...and alcohol wasn’t involved at all.”

by Anonymousreply 164May 16, 2018 3:34 AM

I was in Joshua National Park in the CA desert, walking the trails. There are signs everywhere saying “do not leave the path”. At one point, a panicky looking person came running towards and then past us. As we continued, we came upon a person writhing on the ground, [italic] off the path, [/italic] with uncountable cactus needles stuck in them, with more with every movement the person made. It was like a torture chamber.

You couldn’t help the person, as they weren’t staying still, and every move just made it worse and threatened anyone helping. I don’t know what happened to that person.

by Anonymousreply 165May 16, 2018 3:43 AM

I didn't know him, but I enjoyed reading about the guy who died by getting head-butted by a giraffe last week. Don't know if that would qualify as Final Destination or Darwin. I'll have to go with Darwin.

by Anonymousreply 166May 16, 2018 3:44 AM

My Dad was on the USS Fechteler in WWII. He normally worked in the engine room. This one night, on of his crew had to work in the kitchen, considered worse work. They drew straws, and my Dad lost, so he got KP, peeling potatoes in the kitchen.

That night, the ship was hit by a U-Boat torpedo [italic] in the engine room [/italic]. There were 29 dead. Had my Dad been working at his normal station, he’d have been killed. Instead, the man who took his place, the “winner” of the contest, died instead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167May 16, 2018 3:56 AM

My great Uncle Pierre drown after eating poison berries and going for a swim. Really sounds like suicide to me, but he was very religious and young, so I don’t know.

by Anonymousreply 168May 16, 2018 4:13 AM

[quote]When I was in 8th grade my shop teacher was showing the class how to use a table saw. His hand slipped and he cut off his thumb right in front of the entire class. He didn't die but it was pretty intense.

Ha, that reminds me of a silly warning from my 8th grade shop teacher: he warned us to always use a push stick on all machines, especially the planer. To illustrate the danger, he insisted that a fellow shop teacher had cut off his hand that way and then, during the later inquest, he was asked to show how the accident had happened and so he did the same thing and his OTHER hand got cut off!

by Anonymousreply 169May 16, 2018 5:24 AM

[quote]In the 60s my dad worked in an iron works where they had large vats of molten steel moving around a few inches off the floor. A worker fell into the path of one and one of these vats caught the back of his heels and rolled him feet to head like I carpet.

I don't understand; what do you mean by "rolled him feet to head"?

by Anonymousreply 170May 16, 2018 5:54 AM

This happened a few summers ago, to my cousin's best friend:

J. and his wife A. were driving to their cottage in separate cars (him in front). While at a near-stop just before entering a construction zone, she was rear-ended by a truck, which sent her car into her husband's, which sent him into the car in front of him, and both of their cars burst into flames.

J. and the kids got out of his car very quickly, but A. was initially trapped in her car and was badly burned. She lingered in a medically-induced coma for a week before passing away. She was only 41 and a really sweet woman.

Also, J. was so badly burnt trying to rescue her that he pretty much lost the use of his hands, and he had been a mechanic by trade so he was doubly fucked over by the accident.

by Anonymousreply 171May 16, 2018 6:05 AM

You wanna see a freak accident? I'll show you a freak accident (Chinese man run over by reversing truck):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172May 16, 2018 6:15 AM

My great uncle’s son died by rolling a tire in a junkyard down a hill and then going over the edge of a cliff with the tire.

by Anonymousreply 173May 16, 2018 7:03 AM

[R170] it's hard to explain and sorry about my typos couldn't find my glasses. My dad explained it as the guy fell face down and the bottom of this big vat/ladle thing full of molten steel caught the bottom of his heels and rolled up his body like a wood shaving as it moved over him. Hope that makes more sense.

by Anonymousreply 174May 16, 2018 7:07 AM

I know someone who was dressed as a peanut and got killed by an elephant.

by Anonymousreply 175May 16, 2018 7:58 AM

R172, really not interested in random gruesome death videos, only stories about someone you know.

by Anonymousreply 176May 16, 2018 8:55 AM

R176 It's actually fake if you watch it slowly (pause and unpause it). The back of the truck dissolves into the guy before he ever gets swept under the wheels.

by Anonymousreply 177May 16, 2018 9:00 AM

I hooked up with a guy in a bar, years ago. We went to my apartment, had sex, he was a latin guy with a beautiful body, not sculpted, just well proportioned, an enormous penis - enormous. Afterwards, he told me he was bi and it was the first time in two years he had had sex since his girlfriend was killed when a Sealtest ice Cream truck fell over onto her car and killed her

by Anonymousreply 178May 16, 2018 9:25 AM

Sealtest, dang forgot all about that brand.

by Anonymousreply 179May 16, 2018 10:22 AM

On my mother's side, some distant cousin went to some local dance long ago---this was around 1900 or so in NYC . He was apparently very handsome, charming, etc. and ended up dancing with some girl, who took a liking to him. Unfortunately for him, this girl was a girlfriend of some Mafia guy. Well, the guy and his pals killed this cousin the same night of the dance, stuffed his body in some barrel. And that was that.

An old friend of my father's along with his wife simply disappeared ---no forwarding address, etc. His brother had no idea where he went to and they were very close so the brother was hurt/worried. Murdered? Witness protection? I guess sudden disappearances aren't that uncommon --but I still think something bad happened to "Uncle Charlie."

This isn't freakish at all but more about karma. My high school driver ed teacher was a total asshole. I admit that I laughed out loud in the school hallway when someone told me that he had been killed in a car accident the night before. Ironically, he broke every one of his car safety rules, namely driving when drunk, speeding on patches of ice, etc. So much for defensive driving.

by Anonymousreply 180May 16, 2018 10:42 AM

I worked at a paper mill in northern Florida one summer. There was a guy missing at the end of the day who had the job of watching huge pine trees being fed into a chipper. The chipper was two stories high with huge spinning blades. Once the trees were chipped, it went off to the vats to be reduced to pulp. That was then used to make paper.

You know where this is going. They only found hair and body fragments on the chipper. They still don't know if it was suicide or an accident.

by Anonymousreply 181May 16, 2018 10:43 AM

The mother of a friend of mine was killed by a Duck Boat while crossing a street. The driver said he didn't see her. She was with her husband at the time, but he wasn't hit.

by Anonymousreply 182May 16, 2018 11:01 AM

[quote]Hobos have proms?

Oh, but of course. Where have you been? Guess you haven’t been invited to them. Only the best truly are.

They’re all the rage.

by Anonymousreply 183May 16, 2018 1:00 PM

OMG I'm laughing so hard after reading all these stories, thanks to all of you guys who shared, hope for much more !

by Anonymousreply 184May 16, 2018 1:44 PM

My coworker's best friend was a helicopter mechanic and was underneath one working on it and got crushed to death. Went to blow hole in Hawaii that's a popular tourist spot. The next day a tourist ignored the warning signs, jumped the railing, and was straddling it trying to a picture and the water shot up, hit him in the ass and threw him against the rocks where he died from his injuries. Apparently this happens every few years.

by Anonymousreply 185May 16, 2018 1:49 PM

Are you kidding, some of these I can't even read the whole thing.

Wood chippers need to be banned!!!

by Anonymousreply 186May 16, 2018 1:50 PM

I knew someone who said he remembered being taken to the beach for the first time when he was a toddler. What made the experience memorable was that he was holding hands with mother and father and a wave knocked him down. He was struggling to breathe and he heard his parents laughing, though they eventually helped him up. He said that experience was a prediction that he would die by drowning. And he did drown later in his life when he went swimming on a secluded beach and got caught in a current and was taken out to sea. I wondered why he would have decided to go swimming alone like that but maybe he felt his fate was destined. For me that was freakish.

by Anonymousreply 187May 16, 2018 3:13 PM

Close family friends that use to live down the street sadly moved to a further away part of the city, buying a house with a pool. As many did in those days, the older brother was with his sister, babysitting while Mom was inside, and the grandparents were at home in the inlaw apt attached to the house. Behind the inlaw appt was the fenced in pool area. The brother and sister were in the pool area, and the brother and sister was said to be leaning over the pool edge throwing little stones into the pool, watching them float down. She slipped and fell in. The brother was too young and too little to rescue her, and he ran to his grandfather and began pulling on his pants leg. The grandfather ignored him, and the sister drowned, found at the bottom of the pool. Her gravestone has a lamb on top. She looked like Tabitha on Bewitch, and was the sweetest thing.

While attending my grade school's PTA with my mom, someone rushed into the meeting and ran towards the PTA president, and he runs out of room. We later learned his most beautiful looking son was just electrocuted in the bath by a hair dryer. Their house was about 3 blocks away from the school. The whole family was beautiful. Mom had black hair with a white steak.

One of my childhood doctors playing best friend 's older brother came home and found their mother had committed suicide by gunshot to her head. The story on the street was she was depressed after successful breast cancer treatment, minor lymph nodes removed under her arm. Those in the know felt the depression part came from the skeevy husband having an affair. He married the young Harlet about 6 months after the suicide. The mom was a lovely women, the type who went to the hair salon weekly. They were a little more upper middle class to us. My best friend had the game Operation and the Creepy Crawler maker, things that were extravagant to me. My best friend's older brother turned to drugs, and took my best friend down the same path. Later my best friend was totally gone to drugs, and we meet much later in a gay bar no less, and he barely recognized me, and he was drugged completely the fuck out of his mind. He later died of aids. I do not know whatever happened to the older brother.

My wonderful great aunt had a brain aneurysm during dinner with my great uncle. She was talking, and her head just dropped forward, and she was gone.

Had this great guy at work. He was not the most handsome with his balding hair and strange neck that went straight from the chin to the neckline. Everyone loved him. Smart, goofy, funny and a little sexy hairy chest, very tall with a great smile and personality. Not pretentious at all, even though he and his new wife came from money families. He just got married several months before to another co-worker, his second marriage. Our 10 story building, was in a circle business complex. He loved his motorcycle, and he was going to take a long road trip with his wife beginning on Saturday. On Friday, leaving work, his motorcycle slammed into a car that just pulled into circle road without looking, something that oftened occurred from this building for some reason. The garage entrance/exit was very near the road. Killed instantly. This was the first funeral I attended where the church was packed, including the balcony. Several heart breaking personal testimonies about this great guy. Everyone was choking up.

by Anonymousreply 188May 16, 2018 3:22 PM

An uncle working at an oil rig had a metal drum explode in his face. Closed coffin. Poor Uncle Clyde had taken care of his old father on the farm in the Midwest, and when Great Grandpa died he moved to California at 27 and married and got a job and four months later - pow.

by Anonymousreply 189May 16, 2018 3:32 PM

This isn't someone "known" but observed.

My partner was driving in a rural area on an interstate and was a ways behind a cement truck. The truck drove onto the shoulder and the driver tried to get it back but cut the wheel too fast and the truck went over. The driver, a woman, flew out of the door and hit the pavement, and the big drum, which was turning - came off and rolled over as for some reason the truck caught fire. People got out of their cars stunned and just stared. It was rather amazing that there were no other accidents involved. Traffic backed up for miles and the police said they thought she had died on impact with a broken neck before anything else happened. Small favors. No seat belt and the door wasn't locked.

by Anonymousreply 190May 16, 2018 3:40 PM

R188 That's hilarious. More of these please

by Anonymousreply 191May 16, 2018 3:44 PM

r191 is terrified of death.

by Anonymousreply 192May 16, 2018 3:57 PM

The problem is 90% of these stories are not sticking to OP’s topic: FREAK ACCIDENTS, not tragic drownings, car crashes, motorcycle crashes, aneurisms that do happen to people all the time, etc.

The title of the thread is FREAK ACCIDENTS, not “Do you know or heard of anybody who died?”

by Anonymousreply 193May 16, 2018 4:31 PM

I almost died reading r188's tortured version of English. Please tell me it's not your native language, r188. And yeah, sorry, but backyard-pool drownings, suicide, and aneurysms are commonplace, not freakish. I did get a laugh out of the notion that owning a Creepy Crawler maker = upper middle class.

by Anonymousreply 194May 16, 2018 4:58 PM

A teacher in my small town lived on a lake, and one winter he saw the neighbor's dog out on the ice. As he was watching the dog fell through the ice and started to drown. He raced out on to the frozen lake, jumped in and saved the dog as several neighbors watched. Well, he was a hero--front page article in the local paper and everything. Abut two days later there was another front page article, "Local Teacher Drowns." Turned out the damned dog had fallen through again and this time when he raced out to save him he couldn't get out and drowned.

It wasn't so much the fact that he died, it was the confusion over the two competing newspaper articles that had the town scratching their collective heads.

by Anonymousreply 195May 16, 2018 5:03 PM

Distant relative (great uncle?) was working on construction on new highways around the Nashville area in the 1930s, slipped and fell into the cement mixer and died. Had both his legs cut off, but lingered for several days in great pain. Awful.

A couple who were step-relatives by marriage took a retirement safari in Africa in the early 1990's, they were in some kind of bus or van touring an encampment when they got caught in a crossfire shootout between poachers. Wife was shot in the head and died, it made the national news I think at that time. Very shocking/sad.

Former classmate lost in Pan Am 103 bombing over Scotland, on the plane.

Friends of family were retired and lived in some kind of attached row townhouse in the midwest, one of their neighbors decided to commit suicide by sitting in their car in their closed garage. He succeeded, but he also took them out because the CO2 leaked into their home as the garage was next to their unit. Frightful.

by Anonymousreply 196May 16, 2018 5:34 PM

R194. I had a Creepy Crawler maker and my sister had Fashion Plates. Our family was working class LoL

by Anonymousreply 197May 16, 2018 5:56 PM

"The Thing-Maker".

by Anonymousreply 198May 16, 2018 7:07 PM

I’ll never forget 1919 in Boston.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199May 16, 2018 7:11 PM

R195 -- but did the dog survive? That's the most important part!!!

by Anonymousreply 200May 16, 2018 7:11 PM

R193 is a CONTROL FREAK who WILL NOT BE IGNORED!!!

by Anonymousreply 201May 16, 2018 7:15 PM

[quote]the guy fell face down and the bottom of this big vat/ladle thing full of molten steel caught the bottom of his heels and rolled up his body like a wood shaving as it moved over him. Hope that makes more sense.

Ummmm, not really...?

Did the vat tip over on the guy?

by Anonymousreply 202May 16, 2018 7:16 PM

Not a death, but worked in a long term care facility where we had a patient who was a quadriplegic. I asked him about his accident and he said he was celebrating 4th of July in his backyard with his family and it started to rain , so they started bringing all their food inside.

The ground got muddy from the rain and he slipped and hit the back of his neck on the roots of a tree that were growing out of the ground, instantly paralyzing him.

Meanwhile his family was laughing at him and they just kept walking inside the house. Finally, they looked outside he was still laying there so they came outside and called an ambulance.

by Anonymousreply 203May 16, 2018 7:34 PM

I am confused too r202. I took it to mean that the man's body started to curl up? I guess from the heat? like the wicked witches?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204May 16, 2018 7:34 PM

Jesus R203! Poor son of a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 205May 16, 2018 7:40 PM

I love in Los Angeles but this was huge.

Now this is a FREAK accident!

[quote] Jose Melena, 62, was loading a 35-foot-long oven at the company's Santa Fe Springs plant before dawn Oct. 11, 2012, when a co-worker, who mistakenly believed Melena was in the bathroom, filled the pressure cooker with 12,000 pounds of canned tuna and it was turned on, according to a report by the California Division of Occupational Safety and Health. His body was found two hours later after the pressure cooker, which reached 270 degrees, was turned off and opened.

Imagine dying among all that tuna?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206May 16, 2018 7:40 PM

[quote]I am confused too [R202]. I took it to mean that the man's body started to curl up?

Imagine a giant vat, weighing several tons, filled with molten steel. The vats are transported using a chain pulley system overhead, with the bottom of the vats raised only a few inches off the ground. A person caught under would essentially be steamrolled between the floor and the vat.

by Anonymousreply 207May 16, 2018 8:10 PM

I couldn't find anything about this case, but several years back, in Northern California, 2 guys working in redwood logging got killed. They were placing logs in a giant rotating drum which had spikes on the inside to tear off the outer bark from the logs. The drum jammed, so they went inside to unblock it. Of course, neither cut off the power before they did this, and they successfully removed whatever was jamming the equipment....

And then they died.

by Anonymousreply 208May 16, 2018 8:10 PM

[quote]One of my childhood doctors playing best friend 's older brother came home

Can someone please decipher this for me? I’d like to get the full story so it makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 209May 16, 2018 8:22 PM

He has a friend that he plays doctors with and that friend has an older brother who came home.

by Anonymousreply 210May 16, 2018 8:24 PM

R196 One of the medical residents in my hospital lost his brother on the Lockerbie explosion over Scotland too. There’s a list of the passengers but I should probably not mention the name, right?

by Anonymousreply 211May 16, 2018 8:32 PM

Don't see why you can't mention it r211 there were published public lists and an engraved monument at the site.

Posting personal details about the guy might be touchy. The young woman I knew was one of the Syracuse undergrads on board. She was actually one of the few with no body or parts ever located. They think the bomb was located directly under her seat.

by Anonymousreply 212May 16, 2018 8:39 PM

Probably a blessing, r212. I recall some entire rows of seats, with bodies strapped in, were found hanging from trees.

by Anonymousreply 213May 16, 2018 8:49 PM

R11 are you talking about Centre County DA Ray Gricar?

by Anonymousreply 214May 16, 2018 8:51 PM

Probably not R214 since it was Gricar's daughter that had him declared dead. Gricar also had two ex-wives and had a girlfriend at the time of his disappearance.

by Anonymousreply 215May 16, 2018 9:01 PM

I didn’t know the guy, but I was watching when a cement truck managed to drive over the New Jersey barriers and off the Gold Star Memorial Bridge in New London, CT. It is probably 40-50 stories high at that point. I recall my friends and I turning to each other and asking “Did you see that?”, “Did what I think happen, just happen?”

I read the driver had a heart attack, and that lead to the crash. He certainly would have had a heard attack on the way down, knowing that the concrete mixer was right behind the cab and going to squish him when they hit the ground.

It just had to be a cement truck!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216May 16, 2018 9:05 PM

R212 It was Irving Sigal. Senior Director of molecular Biology at Merck. One of the “notable deaths” according to Wikipedia. I remember his brothers’ face like a photograph after the news spread. Looked like he had cried a lot.

by Anonymousreply 217May 16, 2018 9:08 PM

Ah yes R215. You are correct. I remember a woman trying to get him declared dead and thought it was his wife. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 218May 16, 2018 9:11 PM

I didn’t know the people, but still:

Remember the bungee instructor who was planning to jump, himself? He assumed the staff who were on duty would tie the rope off; and they assumed that since he was an instructor, that he would. So no one tied the rope off.

In 2017, another jumper misheard a Hispanic accent. She heard “Now jump!”, when the instructor actually said, “No jump”.

Can you imagine the point when the jumpers realized that they weren’t being slowed by the rope as they fell?

by Anonymousreply 219May 16, 2018 9:27 PM

A strange death was my neighbor about 6 years go. It was New Years’ Eve and she knocked on my door wearing a nice long lingerie. There was some homeowners’ issue she updated me on. Looked fine but very red in the face and congested. I asked if she was sick and she just said it was no big deal, maybe a cold or something. She had a big hankie.

Then two weeks later, another neighbor came up to tell me her apartment was on the market. Apparently, she died New Years’ Eve. They said she was lying next to an open fridge. She was probably late 50s’ only. I was the last person to see her alive and her maid had found her 2 days later. I could have asked to check on her later but never saw the autopsy report. That’s a problem when you’re so removed from your neighbors in LA. Some weird meds reaction? I always ask to see my friends’ meds and even then they lie if there is coke involved or something. Still feel bad about it.

by Anonymousreply 220May 16, 2018 9:31 PM

Back in the late 80s early 90s a car of school girls in Maryland pulled behind a rotating cement mixer in normal traffic. The mixer dumped the cement directly into the car burying the girls and they suffocated.

by Anonymousreply 221May 16, 2018 9:32 PM

This didn't happen to me, but does anyone here remember when Bobby Kennedy, RFK,'s son, I think it was Michael Kennedy went skiing and smashed into a tree. Killed instantly. He may even have been decapitated.

by Anonymousreply 222May 16, 2018 9:40 PM

I have a weird one from an ex-worker of my dad's. Said co-worker worked part time in bird rescue, and when he first started out he was told to only open a box with a large bird very, very slowly to ascertain what position the bird is in - in other words, is it going to strike. Some years ago a young guy who was training with them had opened a box with a heron inside without checking, and the heron immediately pecked at him and the beak went through this young guy's eyeball and into his brain, instantly killing him. That was pretty tragic.

Another co-worker of my dad's had worked at a place where they had an air compressor, and one guy had the bright idea to stick it up his ass, thinking it would be harmless. You all know what happens with that. A Google search tells me this isn't that rare.

The last one is a car accident story, but it is odd because of the circumstances. Two of my uncles ran a taxi business together. Early one morning my uncle took a fair home. On his way back he swerved off the road at high speed, into a ditch and was killed instantly (he often didn't wear a seat belt). However, he came off at a weird blind spot, and the ditch was unusually deep, so it took nearly two days to find him. The way he came off the road didn't make much sense either - it was like he pinballed from one side to the other. He wasn't suicidal and the weather had been mild, so all we could think of was he was speeding to get home and either swerved to avoid an animal or clipped the curb wrong. It was awful anyway.

by Anonymousreply 223May 16, 2018 9:52 PM

A stranger to me, but I read about a south Florida woman who disappeared. Ten or twenty years later, they were expanding a highway, and found her in her car, at the bottom of a natural pool, just off the old road.

No one usually explores those off-road ponds because of the gators, so she had driven off the road, died, the car was submerged and not discovered for years and years. The same article said it happens a lot there.

by Anonymousreply 224May 16, 2018 10:03 PM

My uncle Spider Sabich, high hard glamour gun accident.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225May 16, 2018 10:13 PM

R224 - some enterprising people could go into Google Earth and find more cars like that.

by Anonymousreply 226May 16, 2018 10:16 PM

Nothing freakish about his death R225.

by Anonymousreply 227May 16, 2018 10:17 PM

[quote]Early one morning my uncle took a fair home.

He better bring that shit back right quick before the carnies get him!!

by Anonymousreply 228May 16, 2018 10:22 PM

R227 little do you know. A Mossad agent told my dad in a bar in St. Moritz that Longet was (and remains) a KGB Sleeper Cell yet did not shoot Spider, rather the Yugoslavian OZNA took Spider out.

by Anonymousreply 229May 16, 2018 10:33 PM

Murder is not a freak accident, r229.

by Anonymousreply 230May 16, 2018 10:36 PM

R228 oh shit, I meant fare of course!

by Anonymousreply 231May 16, 2018 10:41 PM

A young VP at my former company was boarding the company helicopter when a wind gust blew the blade down enough that it took his head clean off.

by Anonymousreply 232May 16, 2018 10:45 PM

I worked in a hospital where one of the patients was a homeless man who had gotten beaten up in a bum fight. He had a couple of broken ribs and 2 black eyes and some scratches, but that was it.

He was enjoying his stay there because he had a bed, food, his own TV, and nurses waiting on him hand and foot. He was about 35 years old and somehow he got MRSA and sepsis. You know there's nasty things floating around a hospital and he died 3 weeks later. His death was absolutely gruesome, with blood dripping out of every orifice. It was awful.

by Anonymousreply 233May 16, 2018 11:02 PM

R99 — The air-hose enema trick is nothing new. Years ago when Judge Wapner ran The People's Court there was a case in which a mechanic thought it would be funny to stick an air hose up the ass of a co-worker through his clothes. Fortunately, the victim didn't get a full blast of air, but it was still sufficient to injure his rectum. Judge Wapner was not amused and awarded the guy the maximum allowable amount of money, I think $5,000.

by Anonymousreply 234May 16, 2018 11:13 PM

I knew two people who died in separate accidents when their tractors flipped over and crushed them while they were trying to drive through small ponds. I would have thought #2 wouldn't have tried it knowing that's how #1 had died a few years earlier, but. They were both idiots.

by Anonymousreply 235May 16, 2018 11:35 PM

"my uncle took a fair home" -- Oh, dear!

Was it the kind where there was a pie-judging contest?

by Anonymousreply 236May 17, 2018 12:23 AM

I love all the terse but eloquent uses of "Closed coffin." But what I love most in this thread is the fatal blow job.

by Anonymousreply 237May 17, 2018 12:28 AM

In 2006, a crane collapsed in Boston and killed 3 people -- 2 workers and 1 doctor driving by. Imagine being the doctor, in your car and in a blink of an eye, smoosh.

Now imagine being the person in the car next to him.

(I didn't know any of the people; I just think of this when I drive down that street.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238May 17, 2018 12:55 AM

I didn't know this guy but remember the story of some douche who worked on the upper floors of a Toronto tower who like to show off by running full speed into the full wall glass windows in a conference room in his office building to show how strong the glass was and what a daredevil he was. He'd done it many times over the years but one day his luck ran out, the glass broke, and he fell 50 stories to his death.

by Anonymousreply 239May 17, 2018 1:02 AM

R239, no, the glass didn’t break. The widow seal broke, and the pane just popped out. It was a Darwin winner.

by Anonymousreply 240May 17, 2018 1:12 AM

One that I think is freaky is that airline that went down in the Everglades, and they just left the jet and bodies there. I know there are gators in the Everglades, but it is surprising that they will raise a jet up from the bottom of the ocean, but not out of the Everglades where it is far less deep.

by Anonymousreply 241May 17, 2018 1:16 AM

A friend of mine is friends with the family in R46, where one daughter was eaten by crocodiles while diving and the other died in a mountain climbing accident. Small world.

by Anonymousreply 242May 17, 2018 1:54 AM

My cousin’s infant, unattended child drown at a lake in Ocala. I had a weird suspicion there might have been gators involved.

I had two schoolmates who hung themselves on successive days. I also suspected auto-erotic sophistication, but of course the families weren’t talking.

by Anonymousreply 243May 17, 2018 1:58 AM

r241 I don't think they just left them there but besides the alligators the swamp had all kinds of gross germs and I know divers were getting sick.

by Anonymousreply 244May 17, 2018 2:10 AM

A woman I vaguely knew in college took a summer job in construction and had never worked in the field before. Her job was to hold the slow/stop sign on a highway construction job, stopping or slowly forwarding traffic through a construction zone. She stood in the middle of a lane with the sign saying “stop,” and a semi truck coming towards her couldn’t stop. I don’t know why she didn’t run out of the way but she must’ve mistakenly trusted the truck driver.

by Anonymousreply 245May 17, 2018 2:41 AM

R245, I can imagine when she started, that nobody thought to give her any training, or much. Just “here’s a flag, go direct traffic”.

I see people walking along the highway all the time in ways that do not seem safe at all. Just google “Russian traffic crash videos” and you can watch all kinds of crazy shit all day & night long.

by Anonymousreply 246May 17, 2018 2:46 AM

When I was a kid there was a park that had a lake with huge trees surrounding it. All the kids would climb the trees and jump into the lake. One day a kid climbed the tallest tree there that no one could climb up and he dove headfirst into the water. He never came back up and it took them 3 days to find him. Apparently there was a type of seaweed growing at the bottom of the lake, it was like a thick forest, and he got tangled up in it The lake was so deep no one knew what was underneath the surface.

by Anonymousreply 247May 17, 2018 4:26 AM

No. Why do you ask?

by Anonymousreply 248May 17, 2018 5:09 AM

R236 ——-!!!!!! I knew you were lurking about and was counting the minutes until you revealed yourself. Do you want to handle R243 or leave it to me???

by Anonymousreply 249May 17, 2018 6:12 AM

R206's quoted description is misleading: the poor man wasn't killed inside a huge vat of tuna. Here is a more accurate description of the incident:

According to a 25-page report by the state Division of Occupational Safety and Health, Melena was responsible for loading the 54-inch by 36-foot ovens with 12 rolling metal baskets full of tuna cans. The ovens are used to sterilize aluminum cans and to process the tuna in the cans.

At the start of his 4 a.m. shift on Oct. 11, 2012, Melena was ordered by his supervisor to load one particular oven. Sometime before 5 a.m., according to the report, Melena entered the oven to make a repair or to adjust a chain inside the machine, leaving the pallet jack he was using outside the oven.

At that time, a second employee noticed the unused pallet jacket. Assuming Melena was in the bathroom, the second employee took the machine and loaded the oven with the baskets.

“Around the same time, the supervisor questioned why the employee was using the pallet jack and began asking employees if they had seen" Melena, the report said.

The report states an announcement was made on the intercom. Workers also began looking for Melena. They discovered that his vehicle was still in the parking lot. After searching for nearly an hour and a half, the boiler operator suggested that they open the last oven that was loaded.

The workers waited about 30 minutes for the oven to cool down before they could open it. Melena's body was eventually found at the exit side of the oven. Firefighters pronounced him dead at the scene.

by Anonymousreply 250May 17, 2018 6:17 AM

[quote]Imagine a giant vat, weighing several tons, filled with molten steel. The vats are transported using a chain pulley system overhead, with the bottom of the vats raised only a few inches off the ground. A person caught under would essentially be steamrolled between the floor and the vat.

Thanks, R207, now I get it.

Why the fuck would people be able to walk between or beside those vats? That's just asking for an accident to happen, ffs!

by Anonymousreply 251May 17, 2018 6:20 AM

R250 Why the fuck wasn’t there a microphone for people stuck in those things???

by Anonymousreply 252May 17, 2018 6:22 AM

R207 Like the roadkill guy in “Beetlejuice”.

by Anonymousreply 253May 17, 2018 6:51 AM

a friend of my parents went to cut some firewood in his own part of the forest he had bought for exactly that reason. a twig snapped back and hit him in the chest, causing a blood vessel to burst. my neighbors' daughter was hit and run over by a huge truck turning a corner. she was a tiny 6 or 7 year old, riding her pink bike and got caught in the blind spot.

by Anonymousreply 254May 17, 2018 8:15 AM

I won't post the details of Sonny's accident.

by Anonymousreply 255May 17, 2018 8:47 AM

R188 Here again. Since you all enjoyed the deaths with irony, therefore what I considered freakish, I will contribute one more.

During my working class upbringing, our summers were spent at our local park, a block away from my house. I became one of the tetherball champs, able to beat the seniors in high school.

Since my neighborhood consisted of retired old people, it was great to get to play with other kids. For the most part, it was beyond fun. Great banyan trees that we weren't suppose to climb, but did. We played kickball, teetered on teeter toots, swings, slide, monkey bars and the ultimate merry go round with wood planked floor. The park had a monitor, a wonderful older women who wore flowery sleeveless dresses that were outside their prime, with dangling bracelets that clinked while she painted with her oils.

Most of the kids were regulars, and we played well together, absent of bullies. However, from time to time, this one kid would show up, who was the ultimate bully. He would make the day a horrible day, and he did not discriminate who he bullied. The monitor would eventually send him home.

When Junior high started, more kids from the area went to the same school, this bully continued. By this time, I had little reason to closely associate with him, but observed him during lunch and hallway activity between classes. We had no classes together, as I was in advanced classes, and he was in remedial.

It was in Junior high that we learned of this bullies death. He delivered newspapers, and his mom would drive the neighborhood in their station wagon, with the bully on the open back door gate. On the fateful day, unaware by the mom driving, he apparently slipped, and got caught on back door gate, and was dragged for over 300 feet. It was said his skull was dragged along the tarmac, so severe, it was a closed casket. In Florida, our tarmac was infused with what looked like broken seas shells, making for a very rough surface. I was victim to this rough surface many times with bike accidents, and general street play.

Later on when I was 18, I got a job at Woolco, the larger department store chain of Woolworths. From time to time, i was called to the front to get the backups down. Since I came from the floor, and knew every Dept number in the store, I very efficient and fast, and got the backups down quickly. One of the women who managed the front liked me, and would call on me to come to the front as I could get the lines down quickly, and did not need constant supervision like most from the floor who didn't run the registers as often. She was a nice women, nice smile, gentle soul. During one conversation, I discovered she was the mom of bully. She brought the subject up, and had tears in her eyes. I remember trying to say consoling words to her, the usual 'not your fault', but I could see this would haunt her forever. I never shared with her that her son was the bully that made life miserable for me and others, because I was raised right, unlike some of the trites on the DL.

Does a mother dragging a son behind the station wagon till his brains came out constitute freakish? Or does this happen all the time as well?

Now back to editing my current literary triumph, putting my non existent English Literature degree to work. The working title is The Tale of Two Cities, Part 2. It's about trivial people, taking issue over trivial matters, that allows the election of an authoritarian president. This authoritarian president uses bully tactics to achieve his goals of financial ruin for the masses, and squashing the hopes and dreams of the marginalized citizens. My ego is so great, I know it will be a Doubleday best seller.

by Anonymousreply 256May 17, 2018 12:59 PM

[quote]I also suspected auto-erotic sophistication,

Someone needs to explain how to do this. Sounds like it’s fun and classy at the same time!

by Anonymousreply 257May 17, 2018 1:03 PM

[quote]Someone needs to explain how to do this.

You rub one out with one hand whilst holding an ocelot on a leash in the other.

by Anonymousreply 258May 17, 2018 1:13 PM

When I was growing up, a friend got a gun for his 12th birthday. His parents also gave him shooting lessons to learn how to handle the gun safely.

At the first lesson, the boy was holding the gun with the instructor standing next to him. It misfired while my friend was holding it. He shot and killed his mother.

by Anonymousreply 259May 17, 2018 1:20 PM

MORE! MORE! I can't get enough!

by Anonymousreply 260May 17, 2018 1:35 PM

Apparently freak accidents are not freak accidents, since everybody knows somebody.

by Anonymousreply 261May 17, 2018 1:44 PM

For r239.. This guy survived a freak accident..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262May 17, 2018 2:47 PM

After reading this thread, I'm never leaving my house now. I completely understand agoraphobics and I think I will become one.

Things we have learned:

Get a carbon monoxide alarm

Never walk over an icy lake

Don't get shit faced drunk

Never go anywhere near a cement mixer or a wood chipper

Don't do any dare devil tricks involving panes of glass, moving water or trains

Don't get in a car if the driver is under 20 yrs old

Don't ever work in a factory

Don't become a logger

Go inside in thunderstorms

Stay away from dangerous animals (including hogs and cows)

Don't ski or hike

Don't ever ride in a helicopter or small plane

Don't bungee jump

Don't go on a ladder higher than 4 feet

Don't get out of your car for any reason unless you are safely in a parking lot or in your own driveway

Don't go to shit hole countries like Peru and Mexico

Don't date a mafia princess

Never hunt

Don't become a shop teacher

Never scuba dive

Find some other way to get off besides auto-erotic asphyxiation

by Anonymousreply 263May 17, 2018 4:15 PM

My friend Don only drove convertibles. He also had a lifelong premonition that he was going to die in an auto accident; accordingly, he always drove extremely slowly. Not dangerously slowly, but very cautiously.

One night Don was driving home in his open convertible, turned a corner a little too widely, and struck a city light pole. He was driving so slowly that the front end damage to his car was confined to a dented bumper.

HOWEVER—the impact of the accident was enough to jar loose the huge glass hanging "bowl" surrounding the light itself. The bowl then came crashing down directly onto my hapless friend, killing him instantly.

Other than the minor bumper damage and some very hard-to-get-out splatters inside the vehicle, the car was undamaged.

by Anonymousreply 264May 17, 2018 5:47 PM

I don't know her, but I just read this story about woman was mauled to death by a pack of "small, fleabitten" wiener dogs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265May 17, 2018 9:17 PM

^^

" about A woman WHO was mauled"

Good lord.

by Anonymousreply 266May 17, 2018 9:18 PM

Has anyone mentioned last week's article about the father who let his 3 year old son ride with him on the mower? You already know where this is going, but the kid fell off and the father ran over him with the mower.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267May 17, 2018 9:28 PM

R263 Don't forget

Gain a shitload of belly fat

(I'm R14).

by Anonymousreply 268May 17, 2018 9:59 PM

And if you are going to bungee jump, r263, have a local linguist beside you to interpret bungee jumper guide's:

'NOW JUMP!' versus "NO JUMP!!"

by Anonymousreply 269May 17, 2018 10:48 PM

Wtf, I'm surprised death by weiner dogs is even possible! Did the fuckers trip her up and then nibble on her neck until she bled to death? Killer dogs are usually big, like Rotties or pit bulls.

And sometimes the owners are sick freaks, like the ones responsible for the death of poor SF lesbian Diane Whipple in 2001.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 270May 18, 2018 5:10 AM

[quote]a friend of my parents went to cut some firewood in his own part of the forest he had bought for exactly that reason. a twig snapped back and hit him in the chest, causing a blood vessel to burst.

A twig? How fucking thick and heavy was this twig?

by Anonymousreply 271May 18, 2018 5:10 AM

Don't forget me, r263.

by Anonymousreply 272May 18, 2018 6:09 AM

I knew this woman who went to Paris, went out to eat and she just had watercress, because you know she didn't want to gain weight. And when she left, this gargoyle fell off the roof, hit her on the head and killed her! And just look at what her last meal was.

by Anonymousreply 273May 18, 2018 6:18 AM

I’ve read that children, in particular, like to experiment with the inflow/suction lines in swiming pools. Because their bodies are still developing and soft and squishy, they occasionally get their intestines sucked out of their butthole by he suction line. I’m sure that’s all very messy. Not necessarily deadly but always life-changing.

by Anonymousreply 274May 18, 2018 6:18 AM

My cousin slipped down a couple of stairs in the winter, and hit her head, but didn't think it was enough to be concerned about. She died later that night during her sleep from a brain bleed.

by Anonymousreply 275May 18, 2018 6:33 AM

r275 = Natasha Richardson's cousin. And another thing to be terrified of, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 276May 18, 2018 6:39 AM

An older friend of mine told me that a guy he knew in high school was drafted and sent to Korea in the early 1950s during the war there. He was involved in some serious fighting where guys were being shot and killed all around him. When he was done with his tour of duty or whatever they call it he came home. A few days later when he was working on his car he got underneath, where the car was jacked up with one of the rear tires off. The jack somehow slipped and fell on his chest crushing it and killing him instantly. I guess it might be seen more as ironic than freakish, but, there you are.....

by Anonymousreply 277May 18, 2018 7:24 AM

R274 reminds me of the awesome short story "Guts" by Chuck Palaniuk (of "Fight Club" fame):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278May 18, 2018 8:18 AM

R278 might want to give a warning before sharing that story. I first read it like 13 years ago and it was the only story that literally made me gag and retch.

by Anonymousreply 279May 18, 2018 8:22 AM

Meh, it's not that terrible. Just don't think too hard about the details.

by Anonymousreply 280May 18, 2018 9:00 AM

R279 MARY!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 281May 18, 2018 10:23 AM

R281 considering that you get your prolapsed hole fisted on the regular, it's no surprise that you're desensitized from that sort of content, but don't assume everyone else is like you.

by Anonymousreply 282May 18, 2018 11:15 AM

How about the woman killed by the Cat in the Hat balloon at the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade?

Killed by Dr. Suess. Jeez.

It’s #7 in the link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 283May 18, 2018 11:29 AM

A friend's uncle lived in rural Mississippi. He got up one morning before dawn to butcher a hog. I'm a city person, born and raised, so I don't know anything about hog butchering, but apparently you boil the dead hog to remove the hair and skin before you cut it up.

Anyway, he went out into the yard to light a fire under this huge vat of water. For whatever reason, he decided the best way to start the fire was by using gasoline. I don't have to tell you what happened next, but the poor man's screams woke up the family, but since they were so far from town it took forever for the ambulance to get there and there was nothing the family could do for him in the meantime beyond putting out the fire.

The real sad part is that he didn't die immediately, but lingered for days in the hospital, covered with burns, until he finally died, leaving a widow and kids, and huge hospital bills

by Anonymousreply 284May 18, 2018 3:15 PM

'the father was not under the influence of anything.'

Except stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 285May 18, 2018 4:36 PM

R283,

No one died. Serious injuries, but no fatalities. That balloon incident happened two blocks from my apartment. Remember that well.

by Anonymousreply 286May 18, 2018 6:14 PM

R286, well I’ll be damned. I mean, I’m happy no one died, but for some reason I remember that being a fatality. Now that you mention it, though, you’re right. I didn’t remember it that way.

by Anonymousreply 287May 18, 2018 7:50 PM

R287 I heard recently that when you remember something, you are actually just remembering the memory of the last time you thought of it. Kind of mind-blowing, but it does explain a lot about how my sister and my childhood recollections differ pretty wildly sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 288May 18, 2018 9:05 PM

Beloved LT. Col. Henry Blake survived his tour of duty in Korea during the war, but his plane was shot down on his way home, via Japan, on the TV show MASH.

It was unusual to kill a beloved character like that, at that time. Many viewers almost felt they lost a loved one in war after that.

(Inspired by R277)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289May 18, 2018 9:25 PM

R265, about the 'wiener dog attack'. Turns out they were not dachshunds. They appear to be (drum roll please) pit bull types. There is a picture of the dead bodies of the dogs online, but I won't link it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 290May 19, 2018 2:22 AM

R274 you reminded me that a kid in my sister's community died from a pool-suction incident that tore out some of her intestines.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291May 19, 2018 2:29 AM

Here’s mine, this happened maybe 15 or 20 years ago. An engaged couple that was friends of our family was doing a pre-wedding early honeymoon type of trip in the Caribbean. They were four wheeling, the engine stalled as they were driving up a super steep hill, it flipped, her head was crushed, she died. Both families rushed down there to help him and get her body back to the US, and the mother fell of the hotel balcony. And then she died. Strangest sidebar is that the girl’s best friend and the guy ended up marrying!!!! The freakiness of the situation bonded them.

by Anonymousreply 292May 19, 2018 3:28 AM

Obviously I didn’t know her, but famous dancer Isadora Duncan’s notorious strangulation by scarf caught in a moving convertible’s wheel/axle owns this damn thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 293May 19, 2018 3:31 AM

Come to think of it, YES! My former daughter-in-law. It was a terrible "accident"... er, I mean a terrible accident.

by Anonymousreply 294May 19, 2018 3:31 AM

A girl I grew up with was out with her husband and kids (all under ten years of age) riding an ATV on sand dunes. She was going up a hill when the ATV lost traction in the sand and rolled over on her, breaking her neck and killing her instantly. She in front of her family.

by Anonymousreply 295May 19, 2018 3:47 AM

[quote]Strangest sidebar is that the girl’s best friend and the guy ended up marrying!!!! The freakiness of the situation bonded them.

I'd love to be this naive.

by Anonymousreply 296May 19, 2018 3:48 AM

*died* in front of her family.

by Anonymousreply 297May 19, 2018 3:49 AM

Brother of a friend (farming family) drowned in a slurry pit. Fell in and couldn't get out. They say he probably was overcome with fumes before he actually went under...but who knows?

by Anonymousreply 298May 19, 2018 4:03 AM

Growing up in the Midwest, it was not uncommon to read about people falling into grain elevators (think William Holden in Picnic). once you fall in, the harder you struggle the farther you sink into the grain. Not a good way to die.

There was also a common brand of tractor (I think it was an early Ford of some kind) where the seat was attached to the tractor with a single bolt. Over time the bolt could work loose or break, and as soon as it did the seat would fall backwards, and this would throw the farmer off the rear of the tractor where he would be run over by the hay rake or whatever piece of farm equipment the tractor was pulling.

And then there was the danger of working around the pig pen. My grade school principal loved to walk up to kids who he though were looking a bit glum and say, "What's the trouble, fella? You look like pigs just ate your little brother."

by Anonymousreply 299May 19, 2018 4:22 AM

r299 I was just going to write your post, point by point minus the pigs. I'm in Canada, though but it's basically the same thing.

Two guys in high school were killed in a grain silo. One climbed up and fell in, and the other went in to rescue him and also fell. The silo was full, so they struggled in the grain before they sank and died. The one guy was smoking hot, too, so double DL tragedy.

by Anonymousreply 300May 19, 2018 4:25 AM

Oh R297 take it easy here and there; people are talking about painful stuff here. And you do know I’m your ally, right?

by Anonymousreply 301May 19, 2018 4:28 AM

Didn’t Jayne Mansfields’ death actually lead to some kind of safety mechanism on big trucks?

by Anonymousreply 302May 19, 2018 4:36 AM

I didn't know them but very freakish: two boys were killed by a python that fell through a ceiling tile onto their bed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 303May 19, 2018 4:55 AM

Dear R153, Was your father trying to hide his Hobosexuality?

by Anonymousreply 304May 19, 2018 5:01 AM

R153 You’re not messing with our heads, I hope. Did He run over the hobo??

by Anonymousreply 305May 19, 2018 5:07 AM

Our neighbor's son was celebrating his upcoming nuptials at his bachelor party and was highly intoxicated. When the boys left to go home, the groom and another member of the wedding party starting hopping on and off of the designated driver's car. He gunned the engine, and both of the guys fell off. The groom hit his head on the pavement and fractured his skull and damaged his spine. Two days later he died from his injuries.

by Anonymousreply 306May 19, 2018 5:56 AM

Oh dear god.

by Anonymousreply 307May 19, 2018 7:12 AM

R292, those weren’t freak accidents. They were,

Dah dah DUM...

MURDER!!!

And, yes, R302, it’s known as the Mansfield Bar. From Wiki:

[quote]After her death, the NHTSA recommended requiring an underride guard (a strong bar made of steel tubing) on all tractor-trailers; the trucking industry was slow to adopt this change. In America the underride guard is sometimes known as a "Mansfield bar," or an "ICC bumper"

by Anonymousreply 308May 19, 2018 9:45 AM

As comical as it may seem on the surface, those grain silo deaths really are nightmarish if you think about it. It's like being in sucked down in quicksand to a slow death by suffocation/crushing.

Video is of pigeons getting killed this way. Unlike people, they could've easily flown away right before getting sucked under. Geez, how fucking stupid are birds, anyway?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 309May 19, 2018 9:54 AM

[quote] R306: ...When the boys left to go home, the groom and another member of the wedding party starting hopping on and off of the designated driver's car. He gunned the engine, and both of the guys fell off...

You remind me. My friend jumped on a car hood while drunk. His partner gunned the engine and my friend fell off. He didn’t die, but he lost his sense of taste and smell.

by Anonymousreply 310May 20, 2018 12:07 AM

R290, thanks for the updated info.

Obviously, the lying cunt from the shelter was playing the breed name game when she described the beasts as "terrier" mixes, knowing that everyone will picture a small wire-haired game dog and not a FUCKING PIT BULL "TERRIER"!

Fucking cunt, I hope one of her beloved "terriers" kills her.

by Anonymousreply 311May 20, 2018 12:13 AM

My roommate died in a robbery where nothing was taken.

by Anonymousreply 312May 20, 2018 12:25 AM

More info about the poor woman ripped apart by alleged daschunds.

Warning: there are photos of the dogs lying in a row, all dead. It's not graphic in the slightest, no wounds are showing, but still, sensitive types might wish to avert their precious peepers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313May 20, 2018 12:26 AM

[quote] Obviously I didn’t know her, but famous dancer Isadora Duncan’s notorious strangulation by scarf caught in a moving convertible’s wheel/axle owns this damn thread.

I said to her 'Isadora, wear the green scarf, it'll bring out your eyes!'

by Anonymousreply 314May 20, 2018 12:27 AM

[quote]My roommate died in a robbery where nothing was taken.

Same here, R312, only it was my wife and two daughters, and the attackers were hippies on acid!

by Anonymousreply 315May 20, 2018 12:35 AM

Awful people!

by Anonymousreply 316May 20, 2018 12:37 AM

A friend's brother had a roommate that dealt drugs from their apartment. The dealer got robbed one night in the apartment and the brother walked in on it. The brother was shot by a .22 and the bullet went between two ribs and ricocheted around his chest cavity, ripping his lungs and heart to shreds, he died almost instantly. The coroner said that if the bullet had it a rib it would have broken it but normally a bullet with a caliber that small doesn't do damage unless it happens like it did to the brother.

by Anonymousreply 317May 20, 2018 12:42 AM

Back in the 80s I had a friend whose parents both died from getting hit by a train. Her parents were in their 40s and liked hitting the bars. Her mom was drunk and walking home next to train tracks and got killed.

3 weeks later her dad was walking home on the train tracks and he got killed. My friend, who was 18 at the time,said her dad was really depressed over her mom's death and didn't know if he committed suicide or not.

Every time we went somewhere and we drove over train tracks, the poor girl would just cringe.

by Anonymousreply 318May 20, 2018 4:22 AM

It didn't kill him, but a neighbor got a call from the police one morning asking if he had an accident the night before. He said no, and the cop said that if he wanted his front bumper back he needed to call the Union Pacific Railroad in Omaha. The fool was so drunk he didn't remember a thing, but he drove into the MIDDLE of a train, and his front bumper got hooked on to a box car and rode all the way to Omaha where they traced the license plate.

by Anonymousreply 319May 20, 2018 6:45 AM

When I lived in NJ, a co-worker of mine had her husband die unexpectedly. It was winter, and guys would drive in the snow towing their friends behind their car. The person being towed was riding something inappropriate, such as a garbage can lid. Rope broke and he died instantly when he was flung into a tree. Sad because he was a nice guy. Second freak accident happened to my brother’s best friend’s younger brother. A Haunted Hayride featured a “body” hanging from a tree. The poor kid really got hung by accident and no one knew it until hours later. I went to his funeral and the heartache was devastating.

by Anonymousreply 320May 20, 2018 7:10 AM

r320 = Friend of Ethan Frome

by Anonymousreply 321May 20, 2018 7:24 AM

[quote] A Haunted Hayride featured a “body” hanging from a tree. The poor kid really got hung by accident and no one knew it until hours later.

I'm sorry, but how fucking stupid do you have to be to accidentally hang yourself?

Pro-tip: if you wrap a rope around your neck, don't fucking attach it to anything!!!

by Anonymousreply 322May 20, 2018 7:27 AM

^That story sounds like bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 323May 20, 2018 9:16 AM

R323 my thoughts as well when I read that. The "funhouse body turning out to be real" thing is an old urban legend.

by Anonymousreply 324May 20, 2018 9:20 AM

When I moved into my Gayborhood years ago, it was still iffy. When I wore a winter scarf out, I wouldn’t wrap it around my neck or tie it. I’d just drape it around my neck, tucked inside my coat, a bit like a clerical thing a minister or priest wears around their neck in Church. That way, if anyone came up from behind and grabbed the scarf, it would just pull out of my coat, instead of resulting in me choking and helpless.

I still wear my winter scarf like this out of habit.

by Anonymousreply 325May 20, 2018 2:05 PM

Thank you, R325 for that totally off topic and ridiculous piece of fashion advice.

by Anonymousreply 326May 20, 2018 2:10 PM

I love you, R326!

by Anonymousreply 327May 20, 2018 2:22 PM

One of my 9th great grandfathers was crossing an iced over river. It was the only way to get across in winter. Right at the midpoint, the ice broke, and he fell in up to his arms. Someone in the village had seen it happen and called to the rest of rhe village. They couldn't reach him because the ice was cracking. It took about an hour for him to freeze to death, while his family and the other villagers looked on helpless to do anything. Supposedly, he was talking ro his wife and children until he lost consciousness. It was several weeks before the ice freed up enough to retreve his body.

by Anonymousreply 328May 20, 2018 3:03 PM

r328 That sounds like me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 329May 20, 2018 5:00 PM

Didn't know him, but a few years ago in TX a woman hit a pedestrian and drove with the guy stuck halfway in her car all the way home, where she parked, went inside and had sex with her bf. She was high on crack or something and apparently the guy was begging her to pull over and call the police the whole way. He died in her garage overnight.

by Anonymousreply 330May 20, 2018 5:37 PM

Yes r330. They even made a movie about it, although they changed some details.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 331May 20, 2018 6:04 PM

Yeah like wasn't it a black chick that did it? Totally serious, not trolling, I remember that case r331.

by Anonymousreply 332May 20, 2018 6:09 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 333May 20, 2018 6:12 PM

Actually you judgemental queens, R320 is right. I remember reading about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 334May 20, 2018 9:04 PM

Fuck it link is not working, just Google "girl accidentally hangs herself in haunted house.

by Anonymousreply 335May 20, 2018 9:06 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 336May 20, 2018 9:12 PM

Goddamnit!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 337May 20, 2018 9:14 PM

I grew up in San Diego where we have the famous Haunted House at Balboa Park. It's totally "staffed" by drama students, I know cause I worked there one year, so it's basically 16-18 year olds doing this shit and I could easily see someone accidentally hanging themselves.

by Anonymousreply 338May 20, 2018 10:15 PM

Yes and it was heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 339May 20, 2018 10:27 PM

I saw a woman who was sucked half way out an airplane window when the engine disintegrated.

I was literally purchasing internet.

by Anonymousreply 340May 20, 2018 10:28 PM

ha at r340!

by Anonymousreply 341May 20, 2018 10:34 PM

I knew a certain mouse who drank so much cocoa he wound up in a cocoama. He was in Canada at the time and the medical system there is notoriously haphazard. The Mouse was never heard from again!

by Anonymousreply 342May 21, 2018 12:26 AM

I am R320. The teen who hung himself accidentally was named Brian Jewell. I knew his family. I wouldn’t make up a story as horrific as that. I will try to find article to share here.

by Anonymousreply 343May 21, 2018 12:34 AM

Hope this link works.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 344May 21, 2018 12:44 AM

They haven't died yet but they will next week, if all goes according to plan.

by Anonymousreply 345May 21, 2018 12:46 AM

Childhood friend Vince W. tried huffing various aerosols. One of those was Pam. The early version was mostly liquid lecithin combined with vegetable oil and a strangely flammable propellant (it would catch on fire if you sprayed it in a sufficiently hot pan). Cause of death was asphyxiation due to a near complete coating of the lungs with lecithin.

by Anonymousreply 346May 21, 2018 1:50 AM

My sympathies, r346, but I'm not sure if that qualifies as a freak accident

by Anonymousreply 347May 21, 2018 3:31 AM

Meh, I'd say it's close enough, R347. It's sort of a semi-accident, imo.

by Anonymousreply 348May 21, 2018 4:29 AM

I seem to recall someone posting on one of these threads that one of their relatives, maybe an uncle or a great-grandpa or whatever, was working at either a factory or a barn, I forget which, and his young son was walking along an overhead beam and the kid fell into a vat of something nasty. I forget if it was slurry or chemicals or molten metal, but it was something really awful, and even if the kid had been rescued immediately, he was still so terribly injured that he would've died in agony a few days later anyway. So the man had to use some sort of pole to hold the kid's head under the liquid he was in, to put him out of his misery.

by Anonymousreply 349May 21, 2018 4:34 AM

wow r349, was the dad's name Patsy Ramsey? That just sounds so convenient.

by Anonymousreply 350May 21, 2018 4:36 AM

A friend of mine was notified that her son was killed in a school shooting. Does that count?

by Anonymousreply 351May 21, 2018 4:37 AM

School shootings unfortunate are not a "freak accident" R351

by Anonymousreply 352May 21, 2018 4:41 AM

R320's dead family friend even made Snopes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 353May 21, 2018 4:53 AM

My friend’s mom’s friend’s daughter got electrocuted when her hot air balloon hit electrical wires. ⚡️⚡️⚡️

by Anonymousreply 354May 21, 2018 5:02 AM

And, speaking of electricity, my great great grandfather was killed by lightning. 🌩

by Anonymousreply 355May 21, 2018 5:03 AM

R350, you're a fucking idiot.

Are you the one bitching about posts not being freak accident enough for this thread?

If so, let it fucking go already!

by Anonymousreply 356May 21, 2018 6:33 AM

R356, I can say definitively R350 is not the original person because I am the person upthread who said that, and I am not R350.

by Anonymousreply 357May 21, 2018 8:20 AM

[quote]The teen who hung himself accidentally was named Brian Jewell.

How do you accidentally name someone Brian Jewell?

by Anonymousreply 358May 21, 2018 10:01 AM

[quote] How do you accidentally name someone Brian Jewell?

Oprah's mom named her accidentally -- she was meant to be called "Orpah", from some stupid biblical story.

by Anonymousreply 359May 22, 2018 5:06 AM

I knew a family that had a garage on the ground floor of the house. The father, I was told, started the car in the garage and left it running overnight. The entire family of five died in their sleep. This was 45 years ago and it still makes me sick to think of it.

by Anonymousreply 360May 22, 2018 5:17 AM

R357 Why did that give me the giggles? Also I think it was rather sweet, you didn't want someone getting their chops busted unfairly. XO

by Anonymousreply 361May 22, 2018 7:15 PM

R361, thanks. That’s nice of you, too.

In addition to calling out the wrong poster, I also wanted it obvious that there’s evidently more than one person with the same mindset of staying with the original theme of the thread.

*hugs*

by Anonymousreply 362May 22, 2018 7:38 PM

A childhood friend dove into a pond, became entangled in giant lillypads, and drowned.

by Anonymousreply 363May 22, 2018 8:33 PM

[quote] I had two schoolmates who hung themselves on successive days. I also suspected auto-erotic sophistication, but of course the families weren’t talking.

Is it possible they were boyfriends, and the second death was actually suicide?

by Anonymousreply 364May 22, 2018 11:57 PM

My mother was born in the city of Manaus, Brazil, it is the largest city in the Amazon basin. Her father, on the other hand, was from a tiny city up the Amazon river and so one day he decided to go for a family visit, leaving Manaus and head to this tiny city way up the river. He owned a small boat and with him that day were two of his sisters and a 2-year old nephew. From the surviving accounts, the trip went without incident when 3 or 4 hours into the trip, they hit some river turbulance which capsized thier small boat.

Everyone survived but they were quite a way from land (some parts of the Amazon River can be many miles wide) so my grandfather decided to swim to land and get help. But he was worried that his nephew being so little would not be able to hold on to the capsized boat for very long, so he decided to put the boy on his back and swim to the closest riverbed. According to family lore, my grandfather was a strong man who was in good shape and an excellent swimmer, so neither he nor his sisters were worried that he would not make it to the riverbed safely. So off he went swimming with the little boy clinging to his neck.

My grandfather was no more than 20 yards away from the boat when he suddendly went under and never came back, there was no struggle, he was there and in a blink of an eye, he was gone. Thier bodies were never found. The sister who's child went with my grandfather eventually lost her mind from witnessing the event. To this day, no one knows what happened; was it the water currents that took him or maybe a very large crocodille or other animal that pulled them down, it remains a mystery.

Another family freaky death story is about a great aunt who lived in the outskirts Manaus which is basically rural farms and jungle. During the middle of the night, she awoke to a commotion in her chicken coop and went outside to investigate. It was pitch black outside and as she made her way to the chicken coop she stood on what she thought was a fallen tree trunk to get a better look around when the "tree trunk" coiled. Turns out she had just stepped on a giant anaconda and when it moved she realized her mistake and had a heart attack on the stop and died instantly. Sadly she was pregnant at the time. When her husband came out he found her dead and the giant snake still there minding its own business.

PS: My grandmother soon after moved her family to the Rio de Janiero, where everyone is now located.

by Anonymousreply 365May 23, 2018 12:29 AM

Why do I continually come back to this thread thinking that I never want to read another post?

by Anonymousreply 366May 23, 2018 12:32 AM

during an El Nino cycle about 15-20 years ago, a friend of mine after a night of clubbing got in his car and headed home from LA proper to Pasadena. Once on the 110 freeway, he lost control of his car, crashed and his car was plunged into the Arroyo Seco, which literally translate to "dry stream" in Spanish. But because it was an El Nino year the Seco was overflowing with rainwater and so it washed his car hundreds of feet downstream. It made the local news because at the time he was the first person in 110 years to drown in the Arroyo Seco or "dry stream."

by Anonymousreply 367May 23, 2018 12:37 AM

My cousin made a small fortune as a kid doing TV commercials and then he died when his throat exploded swallowing Pop Rocks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 368May 23, 2018 2:06 AM

R368 — That is SUCH an urban legend.

by Anonymousreply 369May 24, 2018 12:11 AM

really? you mean R368 is taking advantage of our love for schadenfreude?

by Anonymousreply 370May 24, 2018 12:34 AM

Ooh I missed this thread.

by Anonymousreply 371May 26, 2018 9:53 PM

Bump for more grisly Darwin deaths.

by Anonymousreply 372May 27, 2018 1:58 AM

I like the stories of the people who were alone when they died, but the person telling the stories knows what they were thinking.

by Anonymousreply 373May 27, 2018 2:02 AM

Woman falls into a fire pit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 374May 27, 2018 9:08 PM

I don’t believe the anaconda story nor the pop rocks or the Halloween haunted house story. All others I do though. Some of these are.....grisly!

by Anonymousreply 375May 28, 2018 12:48 AM

This is one of my faves: psycho doctor obsessed with ex tries to sneak into his house via chimney.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 376May 28, 2018 4:43 AM

A youth pastor in Denver I'd met a few times was killed by a rebar that came loose from a load on a truck in front of him on the freeway. Went right through the windshield and through his head. Apparently, this happens more than you'd think.

by Anonymousreply 377May 30, 2018 3:06 AM

There was once a guy who fell into a vat of chocolate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 378May 30, 2018 3:11 AM

Long time ago I was at this job where my desk was across from my boss. She and I were talking about work and she mentioned her cousin in passing. Then something made her back up, and she paused for awhile to talk about her cousin, what a great guy he was, he wasn't a window washer, but something else that had him on scaffolding outside high rises. He had done work for Liza Minnelli and my boss was telling me how nice she was and the two of them would gab around her table.

The next day my boss comes in and tells me her cousin is dead. Apparently he died at the time she was telling me about him - first time I even knew the guy existed, and she was kind of doing a passing reference to him but something made her stop and tell me about him and how great he was. He fell off the side of a building.

by Anonymousreply 379May 30, 2018 3:17 AM

A guy accidentally hung himself doing a Halloween prank in a bar in Cambridge, MA (Central Square) in the 80s. It's not unheard of.

by Anonymousreply 380May 30, 2018 3:22 AM

Too bad it didn't happen in the building you both were in, R379. THAT would have been cool!

by Anonymousreply 381May 30, 2018 3:23 AM

r380 anywhere else in the world I would suspect autoerotic asphyxiation, but given that it happened in Cambridge, Mass. I'm sure you're right

by Anonymousreply 382May 30, 2018 3:31 AM

r377 Not more than I think about it! Cause I think about it every fucking day on my way to work. I never have it far from my mind after watching this tear jerker as a child.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 383May 30, 2018 3:42 AM

Yes, a high school friend of mine was killed in a major rock slide in Hawaii during a hike with her only sibling and another HS friend. They were there for the brother's college graduation. There had been no rock slides in that area for 80 years before that happened. The crazy thing is that she was terrified of flyin, and right before the trip, she wrote a will. She was convinced that the plane would crash. Heartbreaking - her parents lost their only 2 children.

by Anonymousreply 384May 30, 2018 4:14 AM

*flying

by Anonymousreply 385May 30, 2018 4:15 AM

So what you're saying is she waited her whole damn life to get that flight, and as the rocks fell down she thought, "well isn't this nice!"

by Anonymousreply 386May 30, 2018 4:19 AM

A hurricane cause a tree to fall, which caused railing to fall, which caused lose board in a ceiling to crush a sleeping man's chest.

For context what I'm saying is when the railing fell the lose board fell and crushed the man's sternum. The rest of the house was fine! just one piece of random ass railing from a damn gutter/drain caused a chain of events.

by Anonymousreply 387May 30, 2018 5:45 AM

I knew a guy who had his leg cut off when car surfing.

by Anonymousreply 388May 30, 2018 5:57 AM

Jesus Christ @ R374's link, how big was this woman's fire pit?

I actually hope that she either died of a heart attack or brain aneurysm before falling, or that she was murdered and then placed in the pit, cuz imo dying in a fire would be the most painful and worst possible way to die.

by Anonymousreply 389May 30, 2018 6:32 AM

Archaeologists uncover remains of man crushed as he fled Pompeii

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 390May 30, 2018 6:39 AM

Some teens accidentally hang themselves at Halloween hayrides - others pretend to be zombies at a corn maze and get run over.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 391May 30, 2018 8:37 AM

In the 1960s I was in grade school. We lived in a rural community north of Omaha Nebraska. I went to a country school and was close to many of the kids. My parents house was on an acre of land and many of our neighbors had small farms/ranches. Neighbors helping neighbors as there was just a sheriff's office quite aways away. One night around 2am our house was awoken by someone banging and screaming at the door. My Father ran downstairs and then screamed up to me and my Mother to come help. A neighbor's house was on fire. We and many others drove over to the next street where a house was on fire. Two stories with an attic(old farm house). There was no fire department and we got hoses and buckets(most farms had water pumps outside). I knew this family and was very best friends with the boy that was now trapped in the attic. The Mother had jumped from the second story with the baby of the family and broken her legs. The Father had rescued two of their children and was badly burned. He was being held down by three Men as we arrived. He was screaming for my friend(his son) trapped in the attic. And then I heard my friend screaming. And screaming. He couldn't get to the only window. He was burned alive. His Father was smoking in the living room and fell asleep and that's what burned the house to the ground. For many, many years I had nightmares of him screaming. The land stood vacant for decades and it was said people walking by where the house was late at night could sometimes hear someone screaming. He was my best friend.

by Anonymousreply 392May 30, 2018 9:19 AM

So it was the boys grandfather who was smoking?

by Anonymousreply 393May 30, 2018 9:30 AM

Sorry its was his Father. My friends Father.

by Anonymousreply 394May 30, 2018 9:31 AM

This seems to happen a lot, so I’m not sure if this can be called a freak accident anymore.

And for those who haven’t been to the Providence Place Mall, that escalator is 2 stories long. And he landed in the food court.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 395May 30, 2018 9:50 AM

Wow then the father has to live with those screams for the rest of his life knowing he was at fault in the most stupid way possibly.

You can't have any sympathy for a person like that.

by Anonymousreply 396May 30, 2018 10:51 AM

R392 God, that's awful. I can't even imagine just how terrible that was. I do feel sympathy for his father - nobody imagines something like that could actually happen.

It reminds me of how my mother and sister nearly died in a flat/apartment fire caused by her falling asleep with a lit cigarette. It could have so easily gone the other way (in which case I wouldn't be here).

by Anonymousreply 397May 30, 2018 11:30 AM

R392, I wonder if the father stopped smoking after that. Not being funny.

by Anonymousreply 398May 30, 2018 12:51 PM

A kid I went to junior high with went hunting with his dad. Dad put his rifle against a rock and the rifle fell to the ground and discharged. His kid was shot in the head and died.

by Anonymousreply 399May 30, 2018 1:18 PM

[quote]A hurricane cause a tree to fall, which caused railing to fall, which caused lose board in a ceiling to crush a sleeping man's chest.

[quote]For context what I'm saying is when the railing fell the lose board fell and crushed the man's sternum

Oh, dear!

[quote]One night around 2am our house was awoken

Oh, DEAR!

by Anonymousreply 400May 30, 2018 3:33 PM

When I was going through college I worked in a mental institution. We had a 74 year old schizophrenic with heart problems in there, and he started acting out and getting rowdy. There was only two of us working since everyone else was at lunch.

We started getting him into 4- point restraints and after we got his wrists tied down he flung his legs over the side of the bed, flailing like the schizo he was. All of the sudden, his face got ashy and he started taking these big, ragged breaths. Then he just flopped over in bed and turned purple.

We freaked out, removed all evidence of restraints, and called a code blue. They took him to the hospital and that was the last we heard from him. We told the head nurse we were doing a bed check and found him like that.

by Anonymousreply 401May 30, 2018 6:49 PM

[quote]All of the sudden,

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 402May 30, 2018 9:01 PM

A son's head was crushed at a funeral when the coffin of his father fell on it.

There is video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 403June 16, 2018 2:48 PM

R400 when the big man went up in the little man and the big thing came out the mouth

by Anonymousreply 404June 16, 2018 2:52 PM

That story made me laugh r395. I'm sorry, but to be 45 years old and "clowning around" on an escalator rail...

by Anonymousreply 405June 16, 2018 2:53 PM

A sinkhole created a whirlpool in an Arkansas river. A kayaker was then dragged to his death.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 406June 17, 2018 3:03 AM

That corn maze at R391 sounds pretty damn fun!

by Anonymousreply 407June 17, 2018 4:05 AM

[quote]A kid I went to junior high with went hunting with his dad. Dad put his rifle against a rock and the rifle fell to the ground and discharged. His kid was shot in the head and died.

Yeah, that's what the dad SAID happened.

by Anonymousreply 408June 17, 2018 4:16 AM

R406 YIKES!!

by Anonymousreply 409June 20, 2018 4:51 PM

DROWNING DOES NOT COUNT AS A FREAK ACCIDENT!!

by Anonymousreply 410June 20, 2018 6:32 PM

I remember in the city I grew up in, a teenaged girl was in her bedroom doing her homework when a drunk driver crashed through the wall and killed her. The driver had no injuries. I think the driver was ultimately convicted of manslaughter.

Another was a childhood friend's father. The father wasn't the nicest guy. He was Mr. Macho, always ordering his wife and kids around. Most of us kids didn't like going over to the friend's house because his father was usually such a dickhead. Anyway, he had a hunting cabin deep in the woods and would go for a couple weeks on his own to hunt. I think he was just a surly guy and liked his own company. The cabin had no phone. On one of these trips, he somehow got a deep cut. When he didn't return after two weeks, the mother and her brothers-in-law went to the cabin. The father had died of sepsis in the cabin.

by Anonymousreply 411June 20, 2018 6:33 PM

Well that story had a happy ending.

by Anonymousreply 412June 20, 2018 6:35 PM

R403 that is so weird. That son of a bitch father.

by Anonymousreply 413June 20, 2018 6:48 PM

The son wanted to cremate dad in R403’s video BUT NOOOOOOO. . .

by Anonymousreply 414June 20, 2018 7:20 PM

Didn’t R395 see CLUELESS??? Look what almost happened to Tai when those gang members got her. Thank god for Christian.

by Anonymousreply 415June 24, 2018 4:21 PM

BUMP

by Anonymousreply 416February 6, 2019 7:49 AM

Those people all died in a stupid way

by Anonymousreply 417February 6, 2019 7:50 AM

You bump a six-month-old dormant thread and don't even have anything to add, R416?

by Anonymousreply 418February 6, 2019 7:53 AM

Fine, R418 died not-so-tragically when a negligent passerby threw away an open box of asps into the dumpster she called home. Twat.

by Anonymousreply 419February 6, 2019 7:57 AM

Been there, R419. I liked your dumpster and stayed. Not so fond of the asps, but thanks, cunt.

by Anonymousreply 420February 6, 2019 8:34 AM

About 9 years after graduation my best friend from high school died in a hang gliding accident.

Seven years ago one of my coworkers got careless and accidentally severed his hand and part of his right arm completely off.

They reattached it less than two hours later but he never regained the full use of his hand.

by Anonymousreply 421February 6, 2019 8:52 AM

Shhhhhh R420, you're dead. Remember?

by Anonymousreply 422February 6, 2019 8:57 AM

This isn't exactly freak, and probably was really a blessing in some ways. One of my old neighbors had a terrible alcohol addiction that lasted for decades. And not just a drunk housewife type thing, but a major problem. She fell down full lengthy flights of stairs, wrap cars around telephone poles and into people's yards, walk through glass doors, fall into lakes, fall asleep outside in subzero weather, etc.. These dangers happened constantly yet she was never seriously hurt. Then one night while asleep in bed, she vomited face up and choked to death. It was sad to see her go as she was actually a really cool gal generally. But the fact that she survived so many crazy, deadly events, only to die by something as simple as choking on her own vomit was such a sad way to go.

by Anonymousreply 423February 6, 2019 9:07 AM

More than a decade ago, my dealer was in some after hours party that got busted. He tried making a run for it out the fire escape and fell to his death.

On a similar subject, my friend and his boyfriend were ACTUALLY escaping a fire and my friend watched in horror as his boyfriend slipped on the escape and fell to his death. Then a couple of years later, that friend died of cancer.

by Anonymousreply 424February 6, 2019 9:27 AM

R17, I'm a-thinkin that you got yourself the makins of a raht fine book with those yarns. One of them thar noovells? Git to it young'un! And Ah'll figure out a way fer you to be a-thankin me...

by Anonymousreply 425February 6, 2019 9:43 AM

So many of these "accidents" are obviously put-up jobs.

by Anonymousreply 426February 6, 2019 10:14 AM

A relative of my father's was staying at a hotel and put his shaving cream canister on a radiator that was hidden to look like part of the wall. It burst, and one of the shards slit his throat. Wife and kids were in the adjoining bedrooms.

by Anonymousreply 427February 6, 2019 10:18 AM

My best friends father. He ran a construction company in NYC, that built office buildings. He was on site one day, on a very high floor, holding boxes in front of him. He hit the elevator button and when he heard the doors open he walked forward - except there was no elevator there. There was a glitch with the system and the elevator was still on the ground floor. He fell down the shaft 18 floors and died instantly. It was awful. We were teenagers at the time and my friend was just destroyed emotionally. The family ended up getting a massive payout by the elevator company though - like 8 figures. She technically never had to worry about anything ever again, but it didn't seem to matter. She loved her dad and was never the same again.

by Anonymousreply 428February 6, 2019 10:28 AM

My friend and his lover were killed by a head on accident where the car crossed the interstate and went the wrong direction. Killed them both.

by Anonymousreply 429February 6, 2019 10:35 AM

[quote]My friend and his lover were killed by a head on accident where the car crossed the interstate and went the wrong direction. Killed them both.

My sister-in-law's parents died the same way, driving home after visiting for Xmas. Their shepherd/wolf mix dog, unrestrained in the back seat, somehow survived his trip through the windshield. Sis-in-law spent about $5k and a few months nursing him back to health, and he lived with her for a decade before recently passing away of natural causes.

by Anonymousreply 430February 9, 2019 5:33 AM

Oh, Smitty! You always keep it fresh.

by Anonymousreply 431February 9, 2019 5:58 AM

my childhood friend died when her boyfriend snapped during a fight they were having in the car. he decided to kill himself and take her with him. he began speeding and trying to hit oncoming cars head on. after a few cars would swerve out of his way at the last second, he hit a minivan that had 5 people in it: parents and their 3 children in the back. the boyfriend was the only one to survive, i think he only broke his arm. i hope he rotts in hell some day.

by Anonymousreply 432February 9, 2019 3:17 PM

Just one. Frank Musgrove. I went to high school with him. He was a nice guy. A bit of a nerd but friendly. Always had a smile on his face. We shared the same birthday. Same age. Anyway, I didn’t hear anything about him after I graduated until a few years after we left school, I heard that he had died while working at the nearby Labatt’s Brewery. And bizarrely, he died by falling into one of the giant vats of beer and drowning. Tragic. He was 19 years old.

by Anonymousreply 433February 9, 2019 3:36 PM

A high school classmate died when he fell off a balcony at college.

by Anonymousreply 434February 9, 2019 3:49 PM

I can't tell you how many people I've seen drop dead from a Charley Horse after whirlybirding too hard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 435February 9, 2019 4:07 PM

What??? R433

by Anonymousreply 436February 9, 2019 4:16 PM

A guy I went to high school with died when he crashed his new Trans Am on a mountain highway while driving home from the dealership.

by Anonymousreply 437February 9, 2019 5:54 PM

One of my fuck buddy's was doing a test run on his motorcycle, right outside his house. Don't know exactly what happened but he somehow lost control and swerved into a tree on his property and died on impact. It was the weirdest thing. He was the hunkiest dude with a gorgeous body. Was really sad to see him go.

by Anonymousreply 438February 10, 2019 8:12 AM

my nanny accidentally fell out the window and broke her neck in a freak accident at my birthday party but no worries cuz I got a new pet doggie lol

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 439February 26, 2019 7:49 PM

I’ve known lots of freaks.

by Anonymousreply 440February 26, 2019 7:50 PM

My husband died while doing drugs and being fisted

by Anonymousreply 441February 26, 2019 7:55 PM

Never hire a cat as a chauffer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 442February 26, 2019 8:22 PM

Hasn't every high school class in America had a classmate who died in a car accident.

by Anonymousreply 443February 26, 2019 8:52 PM

R90, oh my god.

by Anonymousreply 444February 26, 2019 10:38 PM

Not yet, but they will next week, if all goes well.

by Anonymousreply 445February 26, 2019 10:40 PM

A kid from my high school died from AEA at 16.

by Anonymousreply 446February 26, 2019 10:47 PM

Our neighbors son in law was leaning against a tree at a golf course while it started to rain, and lighting struck it and killed him.

by Anonymousreply 447February 27, 2019 3:51 AM

my mommie accidentally fell out the window and broke her neck in a freak accident at the hospital but by the time she made it to the ambulance it was too late lol

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 448March 14, 2019 12:56 AM

Back in the '70's a woman down the street died when she fell from the attic while she was getting down the Christmas decorations.

by Anonymousreply 449March 14, 2019 1:11 AM

A tall handsome kind young Swiss fuck buddy of mine got into fisting, tore his colon, sepsis and died. about 15 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 450March 14, 2019 1:17 AM

In follow up to R8’s response:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 451March 14, 2019 1:20 AM

And the memorial...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 452March 14, 2019 1:25 AM

A cousin of my mother's only son died in this disaster in Wales in 1966, at age ten.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 453March 14, 2019 1:26 AM

None of these people I knew personally, but my friends and family members did.

A bunch of teens were joy riding somewhere in some hick New Jersey town, all were drunk, one guy was standing up and had his head almost sliced off when it hit a heavy telephone pole.

A work colleague's friend was so drunk, she opened some laundry chute in a high-rise building, fell down it and died on impact. Think this happened during a company party, everyone thought she left. Days later she was found dead.

This was the weirdest, one of my elderly aunt's best friends growing up had a complicated pregnancy. When the woman was rushed to the hospital in labor, the husband was told he had a choice between the baby and his wife surviving. One would die. He chose to keep the baby alive. Who the hell would make that choice? They could have had another baby. My aunt said the wife was one of the nicest and kindest people she ever knew and gorgeous too. I saw photos of the woman, she looked like a movie star of that era. I told my aunt, "The wife must have had an enormous life insurance policy, because there was definitely something shady going on. Who would want their partner to die when they could have tried to have another baby or adopted?"

by Anonymousreply 454March 14, 2019 1:40 AM

R453 - Um, wouldn’t that be YOUR cousin as well?

by Anonymousreply 455March 14, 2019 1:41 AM

Damian!!! More stories!!!! I know you've got some doozies!!!

by Anonymousreply 456March 14, 2019 2:12 AM

My next door neighbors - the oldest son moved to Hawaii, He was hiking and fell and was missing for 5 days. They found him and rescued him. One year later, same place, he is hiking, falls again, dies.

by Anonymousreply 457March 14, 2019 2:16 AM

A distant one R455, I think it was my mother's second cousin. Her mum's first cousin I believe.

by Anonymousreply 458March 14, 2019 2:17 AM

my daddies friend accidentally fell out the window and broke his neck in a freak accident in israel, daddie was real pissed but i thought it was way cool how the dudes head spun around after it got chopped off lol

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 459March 14, 2019 2:37 AM

Father fell asleep with his cigarette, not the first time I heard that story and saw the results. It used to happen regularly.

by Anonymousreply 460March 14, 2019 3:07 AM

I knew a guy shot and killed by his brother, they were playing with the house hold gun.

by Anonymousreply 461March 14, 2019 3:09 AM

2 guys and a girl from this area were very drunk and went to mud bog, redneck I know, and the mud pit was way deeper than they thought. The truck sunk enough that the doors couldn’t open. The truck remained running,backing up the exhaust, and killed them from carbon monoxide poisoning.

by Anonymousreply 462March 14, 2019 3:21 AM

These anecdotes would make a provocative illustrated adult picture book.

by Anonymousreply 463March 14, 2019 3:24 AM

This is not a freak accident anecdote, just support for the dangerous hogs stories upthread. Last summer I went to a B&B in upstate NYC, a farm owned by a woman who use to teach riding in Brooklyn, where I live. She has a few horses on her farm and we were going to ride. Otherwise she has goats, all kinds of chickens and fowl, grows vegetables, has the B&B and anything else to bring in money. Never been on a tiny family farm before so everything is up close. The land is on a pitch and if it were a ski slope you'd say that the pitch had a lot of moguls. Down hill from the goat pen and near a creek was the hog pen. One hog in there, ENORMOUS. The size of a car-to-go. She goes in there, scratches its back, tickles its tummy. She'd raised this animal from a piglet. Was trying to have it artificially inseminated so she wouldn't have to butcher her. This pig had broken her (adult) daughter's hands. She said the daughter had waved her hand suddenly and the pig was confused, so, you know, really her daughter's fault. And whenever the daughter saw her in the pen with the pig she'd scream "Why don't you just stick your head in her mouth!!" Because she'd massage that pig, scratch its ears and all the places it couldn't reach. No, there was no bestiality-adjacent stuff happening - she was just super earthy. EXTRA earthy.

Also said the pig was over-sexed, almost constantly in heat (although thankfully I saw no sign of it then) and had broken out of it's pen and chased her to wear she had to stand on some farm machinery to protect herself, and it nearly shredded her pants off. She's scratching this pig, feeding it both ears of corn and other stuff that couldn't be sold at the market as well as a by hand mix of mush. This was when she told me that if you are too still in a pig pen - or a hog pen, I guess - they WILL eat you, nothing personal. This pig looked as if it had eaten a grade school for breakfast. In previous summers she'd take the pig to the creek and ride on its back like it was a float. I just edged my way back up to the porch area. The pig didn't get pregnant (or so it says on facebook) but I think is still not dead. One of these days she'll be riding that pig in the creek and that pig will flip her over and use her as a wonton in a dinner of creek soup.

by Anonymousreply 464March 14, 2019 3:37 AM

^Broken out of ITS pen and chased her to WHERE

and apologies if there are other typos I missed.

by Anonymousreply 465March 14, 2019 3:39 AM

This happened to the youngest son of a woman my aunt knew and his little girl.

The little girl's mother was the type of cunt who gets her claws in a man, uses him, treats him like shit, then dumps him. She claimed the father was the one with both mental and drinking problems (but it was all her) and refused him visitation. Shortly after, she drove her car into a tree, killing the little girl instantly. Of course, the mother was drunk and got away with only a few bumps,bruises, and scratches.

The son's mother managed to get the little girl buried in the family plot with her boys' father. The cemetery is in another town, connected to our town by a winding, hilly road. The son visited his daughter's grave every chance he got.

On the one year anniversary of the little girl's death, her father was riding his motorcycle to visit her grave. Soil erosion is a very common problem in this area. Just as he passed under a tree, it uprooted from the loose hillside soil and smashed down on him, also killing him instantly.

As you can imagine, there wasn't a whole lot of the father intact to bury. His remains were cremated, placed in a small box made from a the remnants of a bookshelf he had built in junior high, and buried on top of his little girl's grave. Reunited in death in more ways than one. A headstone for both of them was placed on the plot. Father and daughter share the same date of death, one year apart.

by Anonymousreply 466March 14, 2019 4:50 AM

Freak near-death experience. I was 10 and was riding in the car with my dad. We were travelling on the road that runs along the bank of the river and goes under a large suspension bridge. Right after we passed under the bridge, a jagged piece of plywood flew off a truck going over the bridge and went straight through the windshield of my dads car. The pointed edge ended up between my legs in on the passenger side, just barely bruising the inside of my thighs.

If it had gone another few inches or my legs been in another position, it could have cut my femoral artery, which it was pressed up against.

by Anonymousreply 467March 14, 2019 6:40 AM

Hey I saw that West Virginia story on the news...about dying in the truck.

by Anonymousreply 468March 14, 2019 6:44 AM

I read this thread for the second time last night, not realizing it was the same thread I had read a year or so back. Halfway through the thread, I was so spooked I couldn't leave the damn apartment. Set out wee wee pads for my two little dogs and told them to have at it, there would be no bedtime walk. I was picturing being distracted, having one of the leashes wrap around my leg, tripping, and somehow catapulting into the business end of a garbage truck doing its late night neighborhood rounds. If not that, then bending to pick up poop and some drunk hell bent on getting to the Prospect Expressway blowing out of 16th Street, and then cutting the corner en route to the expressway, taking me out in the process.

Good God. My takeaways: Thank God I live in the city (no factories. Very important. No factories. And I barely know what an air compression hose is).

Unlikely to be struck by lightning - all the buildings around here are way taller than the trees. Although it's a reminder to get out of the park if it looks like rain.

I'm a cautious driver. Although no driving behind trucks anymore for me. Something I try to avoid anyway, but still. Particularly no open loads.

by Anonymousreply 469March 15, 2019 12:21 AM

This wasn't a freak accident but a freakish murder - a man was thrown into a pulp vat at a papermill in Green Bay Wisconsin. The mill had a continuous process from the pulper to finished product. He wound up in $2.4 million dollars of toilet paper that had to be destroyed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 470March 15, 2019 12:30 AM

Our local priest was found stabbed to death about thirty times a few years ago in his quarters one morning.

Turned out the first one on the scene, (the janitor) was the murderer. The priest had decided to do full background checks on all employees, including the janitor who turned out to have warrants out for sexual abuse from the 80s. He was living under a fake name too. He was in his sixties and fugly but still tried to use "the priest abused me" defense, luckily the jury didn't go for it.

by Anonymousreply 471March 15, 2019 12:37 AM

R469 - If your number is up, your number is up.

by Anonymousreply 472March 15, 2019 1:46 AM

In 2005, a Boeing engineer got fucked to death by a horse named "Mr. Hands".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 473March 15, 2019 1:57 AM

[quote]r40 I could never figure out how they were going fast enough to drive over a curb, up the embankment, and become lodged under the bridge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 474March 15, 2019 2:43 AM

[quote]r42 The local council was tidying up a park/reserve. Stack some big logs didn't secure them. Kid I knew played on them then they rolled and he was squashed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 475March 15, 2019 2:46 AM

R472, that's what I decided the next day, but the other night when I was reading all this, it got under my skin. I'm fine now.

by Anonymousreply 476March 15, 2019 11:55 PM

R147 (r17) says they didn't include anyone they have killed. Why do I not find this wording reassuring?

by Anonymousreply 477March 16, 2019 10:40 PM

A friend from my high school days became a pilot and not long after died in a mysterious crash in northern BC, one of those crashes that takes forever to locate. They never figured out what happened and it took a year to find and collect the body.

by Anonymousreply 478March 16, 2019 10:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!