Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Taylor Swift massacres Earth Wind and Fire

Her cover of September is an abomination

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89May 21, 2018 5:51 AM

I refuse to listen.

by Anonymousreply 1April 14, 2018 7:12 AM

Why would anyone want a cuntrified version of September?

by Anonymousreply 2April 14, 2018 7:16 AM

Everyone’s entitled to their own style.

by Anonymousreply 3April 14, 2018 7:34 AM

Yes, everyone is entitled to sing off key and make bad music, to be sure, to be sure.

by Anonymousreply 4April 14, 2018 7:47 AM

She sounds like a sweet little 8th grader. Singing to the kids from her tiny corner stage at the local Roller Rink on a Friday night. Later Mum will come to pick her up.

by Anonymousreply 5April 14, 2018 7:58 AM

Her 10 minutes are up . Sell out .

by Anonymousreply 6April 14, 2018 8:03 AM

Taylor Swift: Song Stylist! She is the Elaine Stritch of her generation! And with her string of Sonja Heine style boyfriends, she is somehow also the Liberace.

by Anonymousreply 7April 14, 2018 8:09 AM

White girls shouldn't fuck around with black music.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8April 14, 2018 8:22 AM

She has no soul.

No soul in the singing tone, that is.

I cannot comment either way on her spiritual self.

by Anonymousreply 9April 14, 2018 8:28 AM

The white Beyonce.

by Anonymousreply 10April 14, 2018 8:33 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 14, 2018 8:34 AM

That cunt

by Anonymousreply 12April 14, 2018 8:44 AM

[quote]The white Beyonce.

I'll second that!

by Anonymousreply 13April 14, 2018 8:48 AM

In case you missed it, NPR listeners ranked their 150 greatest albums by women.

Taylor Swift has many albums on the list, and she comes before Bjork and is intermixed with Joni Mitchell, Kate Bush, Tori Amos and other virtuoso musicians and vocalists.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 14, 2018 9:05 AM

But all you are is mean

All you are is mean and a liar and pathetic

And alone in life and mean, and mean, and mean, and mean

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 14, 2018 9:23 AM

That's just wrong R14

by Anonymousreply 16April 14, 2018 5:09 PM

Give it up fossils. Taylor Swift and people like her make the music of today. It’s every bit as valid as your golden oldies. Style and tastes have just moved on.

by Anonymousreply 17April 14, 2018 5:25 PM

Why won't she denounce the neo nazis that adore her?

by Anonymousreply 18April 14, 2018 5:39 PM

I like Taylor Swift’s pop music. If we’re ranking female musicians as NPR did, I think placing her in the top 20 of all time is highly questionable. Her music is in the same realm for me as Katy Perry, though. I do think she is a talented pop-music songwriter. She’s far better with lyrics than Madonna is, and more emptionally evocative than Katy Perry is. Madonna is a more talented entertainer overall, though. Lady Gaga’s lyrics (to me) often are more clever but not necessarily “better.” But Gaga certainly is more innovative and a far better-developed vocalist.

Joni Mitchell and Kate Bush are absolute innovators and pioneers who overflow with musical and lyrical talents. Tori Amos is an undeniable musical virtuoso on her piano, many popular young singers today pale in comparison to her voice, and her lyrics can fairly be called fine art. Both she and Bjork built on foundations laid by Mitchell, Bush, Laura Nyro and some others, and then both unfurled over time to become both masters and innovators of their own respective genres. Taylor Swift hasn’t done any of this; she has made some good pop music that has sold well, but there is no “Taylor Swift genre” as there is a genre for each of the aforementioned artists. We all know what “a Picasso” and “a van Gogh” means, and we know what “Joni Mitchell style,” “Kate Bush style,” “Tori Amos style” and “Bjork style” music might sound like. The “Taylor Swift” genre is nicely written, unexceptional focus-group-approved pop music. Which is fine. But until she does something no one else has done, she shouldn’t be listed before women who have influenced her music.

by Anonymousreply 19April 14, 2018 5:42 PM

Why is the biggest star? Gaga can sing. Even Miley can. Bey can too. I don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 20April 14, 2018 5:44 PM

Not to defend this bitch but are we seriously at a place where people argue that white people singing "black music" is terrible cultural appropriation that must be stopped? Have these people never heard of ELVIS? Did rock and roll never happen? We're fucked

by Anonymousreply 21April 14, 2018 5:44 PM

Painful to listen to.

Why ruin a classic?

by Anonymousreply 22April 14, 2018 5:49 PM

R21 Well, if you’re going to go there, a lot of people have always said that Elvis co-opted “black music” and made a fortune by wrapping another culture’s music in a white wrapper. He’s an early example of people calling out cultural appropriation.

But when I studied creative writing, my department chair emphasized “good artists borrow; great artists steal.” Art always has progressed in any culture by taking inspiration or even stealing from other cultures’ stories, aesthetics, etc. Van Gogh became infatuated with Japanese art and after he imitated it with his almond blossoms and some other paintings, his paintings changed. Many of Shakespeare’s stories were “stolen” from other cultures, and he presented them unabashedly without attribution and also altered them at will to suit his stories’ needs. There was no notion of copyright then, and art wasn’t tied to artists’ identities and egos; what stood out as great was recognized as great, period. It’s possible that without copyright protection, some brilliant mind could potentially convert the idea of trash like 50 Shades of Gray into something equally titallating and intellectually provocative or culturally enlightening, but cultural taboos of giving the originator credit make that an impossibility. So instead we get an endless parade of increasingly poor quality francises, which are brands instead of art.

by Anonymousreply 23April 14, 2018 5:54 PM

Haters gonna hate, hate, hate...

by Anonymousreply 24April 14, 2018 6:15 PM

R24 Aaron Schock, is that you? Where ya been hiding, gurrrl?

by Anonymousreply 25April 14, 2018 6:21 PM

Taylor Swift is an abomination.

by Anonymousreply 26April 14, 2018 6:23 PM

That’s going a little far, R26. I think she is an above-average middling pop songwriter and an average (for today) pop singer. She’s creating and selling and people are buying. That’s to her credit, not her fault. If she’s making the best music she can and it’s abominable, then that’s her audience’s fault, not hers.

by Anonymousreply 27April 14, 2018 6:28 PM

One of the guys from Earth, Wind and Fire likes Swift’s rendition.

by Anonymousreply 28April 14, 2018 6:43 PM

She’s very mediocre.

by Anonymousreply 29April 14, 2018 7:00 PM

[quote] White girls shouldn't fuck around with black music.

Excuse me?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30April 14, 2018 7:03 PM

September is one of my least favorite songs by Earth Wind And Fire. I didnt't realize that black people were so territorial over it.

by Anonymousreply 31April 14, 2018 7:05 PM

Yet the actual rights holders granted her permission since they still got paid even though it was terrible.

by Anonymousreply 32April 14, 2018 7:14 PM

It's not that she covered a EWF song that is the problem, it's that she was so obnoxious with changing the lyrics to fit her bf of the month, added banjos and turned a joyful song into a funeral dirge. If you haven't got the vocals to cover it at least joyfully, pick another song or stick to that autotuned, over-produced album crap.

by Anonymousreply 33April 14, 2018 7:14 PM

[quote] It's not that she covered a EWF song that is the problem, it's that she was so obnoxious with changing the lyrics to fit her bf of the month, added banjos and turned a joyful song into a funeral dirge.

If a gay twink on YouTube did that, you'd stand up and cheer.

by Anonymousreply 34April 14, 2018 7:16 PM

r34 absolutely not, this "people need to stop hating on poor little TayTay" gets tiring. The cover was horrible and she should be embarrassed that after all that time in the industry her vocals are so bad, she has more than enough money for vocal lessons.

by Anonymousreply 35April 14, 2018 7:20 PM

r35, That's not the problem that most people have with the cover. It seems like people are mad that a white girl covered a black band's song.

Black twitter despises Taylor Swift. they can't believe that a white girl has the gall to be so famous and successful in the age of their queens Beyonce and Rihanna.

by Anonymousreply 36April 14, 2018 7:23 PM

Sounds like a budget demo theme for a reboot of Dawson’s Creek.

by Anonymousreply 37April 14, 2018 7:23 PM

She's a decent pop act, but she's really a commercialized version of the Lilith Fair acts of the 90's. Frankly, what's she doing now is no different than what Jewel did, but Jewel had a better voice and a little more honesty in her writing.

The worst thing that happened to the music scene was legitimizing the pop acts that sprung up in the early 2000's. Britney Spears, XTina, Jessica Simpson and Justine Timberlake were treated like credible musicians and it caused a major dumbing down of music. Teen pop acts have always been a part of the scene, but they used to stay in their own lane. All of that changed with this crew and suddenly they were making the cover of Rolling Stone and getting lumped in with bonafide music legends.

by Anonymousreply 38April 14, 2018 7:33 PM

I don't give a passing thought to pop music, but when I think about this backlash against Taylor Swift, who can suddenly do no right, it does make me smile. Talentless blonde from an extremely wealthy banking family whose daddy bought her record label so she'd have a shot. I think about my open mic nights in the late 90s and early 2000s, and how much raw skill used to be out there without the connections and manipulations to create a career.

by Anonymousreply 39April 14, 2018 7:51 PM

Even if you've never heard the original you can tell that this is absolute crap.

by Anonymousreply 40April 14, 2018 7:58 PM

I think Celine Dion got better as she got older. Maybe Taylor will, maybe she won't.

by Anonymousreply 41April 14, 2018 8:17 PM

Her idiot fans probably think she wrote it. By the way she is an abomination. Throw her to the hyenas.

by Anonymousreply 42April 14, 2018 9:21 PM

I think she stinks and always have. She sounds awful and this version is the pits. If she wants to keep recording that crap she writes for the 12th graders, go right ahead. Leave the other stuff alone.

by Anonymousreply 43April 14, 2018 9:23 PM

Even 12th graders deserve better music, especially in a post-[italic]Love, Simon[/italic] world.

by Anonymousreply 44April 14, 2018 9:27 PM

Earth, Wind and Grease Fire

by Anonymousreply 45April 14, 2018 9:30 PM

[quote]The worst thing that happened to the music scene was legitimizing the pop acts that sprung up in the early 2000's. Britney Spears, XTina, Jessica Simpson and Justine Timberlake were treated like credible musicians and it caused a major dumbing down of music. Teen pop acts have always been a part of the scene, but they used to stay in their own lane. All of that changed with this crew and suddenly they were making the cover of Rolling Stone and getting lumped in with bonafide music legends.

Disney bears some of the blame for that. Whether they are the cause or just a symptom, I still can't decide.

by Anonymousreply 46April 14, 2018 9:38 PM

Releasing this seems like she's admitting Reputation was a failure. She is known as a writer, not a singer, so why would she cover another group's song? It is also telling that the production is more in the vein of her earlier pop-country songs than her current pop sound. It is a good way for her to test reentering the country pop arena, without having to commit to a full album. I do liek how it sounds, though, and I would gladly listen to any of her pop country stuff, btu have no interest in listening to her last cd.

by Anonymousreply 47April 14, 2018 9:39 PM

If she wanted to damage Black culture so badly she should have just become a cop and shot some teenagers.

by Anonymousreply 48April 14, 2018 9:52 PM

I have an alternate take to what as been posted thus far(blacks are angry because she butchered a beloved EW&F classic): Had she produced an excellent, critically acclaimed cover, they would have liked it even less.

Good thing no black vocalists have ever coopted any white country classics.

by Anonymousreply 49April 14, 2018 10:17 PM

It's twitter, I wouldn't get too upset with anything that goes on there r49. Don't read it if you get upset every time someone you like gets criticized.

by Anonymousreply 50April 14, 2018 10:21 PM

Right, R49, especially one who got famous covering other black artists' songs.

by Anonymousreply 51April 14, 2018 10:23 PM

I don't mind the musical arrangement, but her vocals are horrible.

by Anonymousreply 52April 14, 2018 10:25 PM

It’s not bad, and obvious that some posters here have personal issues

by Anonymousreply 53April 14, 2018 10:31 PM

Black people never had a problem claiming this lady as their own.

Of course she could sing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54April 14, 2018 10:33 PM

If she can't butcher this song because of " cultural appropriation", then blacks should not be allowed to sing( butcher) the National Anthem.

by Anonymousreply 55April 14, 2018 10:51 PM

Her popularity really did peak with her last album, 1989. Her current album, Republican, had a lot of success when it was first released because of her fanbase, but it's struggles ever since. Her singles have all flopped, despite the lead's success initially. Her tour isn't selling like her last one did. Her current era feels like a non-event. It's only get to get worse for her as she turns 30 soon.

She should go back to country pop like her earlier albums. She can continue to smash in that genre as long as she wants.

by Anonymousreply 56April 14, 2018 10:59 PM

Taylor Swift cannot sing. She cannot play the guitar and I bet she does not write the lyrics to her songs.

Her dad literally bought the record company that gave initially signed her.

She is to music what Hitler was to painting and that's why the alt right loves her.

by Anonymousreply 57April 14, 2018 11:00 PM

But she's blonde! It's okay.

by Anonymousreply 58April 14, 2018 11:03 PM

As for the poster up thread who challenged Swift to disavow her many Neo Nazi fans...

How would you feel if Dolly's huge contingent of Dollywood type tourists who know her and love her demanded she disavow all the gay and lesbian fans? Or in reverse, what if her massive gay and lesbian fans demanded she call out her Dollywood/Gatlinburg Dixie Stampede type redneck Trumpster supporters for their racism??

An artist, be she left or right, should not be held responsible for who idolizes her.

by Anonymousreply 59April 15, 2018 12:32 AM

The cultural appropriation angle is nonsense - the song was co-written by a white woman (Allee Willis) to begin with. I still don't really wanna click on this though.

by Anonymousreply 60April 15, 2018 12:49 AM

Dolly got rid of the confederate hokum. Taylor swift is literally called their queen and you knows she knows this. She could heard for s black guy or say she doesn't want the alt-rights support. Have just one black girl in her squad. Easy.

by Anonymousreply 61April 15, 2018 12:58 AM

A state policeman pulled alongside a speeding car, and saw a blonde woman knitting. Grabbing his bullhorn he yelled, “PULL OVER”!! Rolling down the window, she yelled back, “NO, IT’S A SCARF”!!...

by Anonymousreply 62April 15, 2018 12:59 AM

No hum. That teenybopper bores me.

by Anonymousreply 63April 15, 2018 1:02 AM

Then don’t listen

by Anonymousreply 64April 15, 2018 1:04 AM

First Trump, now this. How much must we endure?

by Anonymousreply 65April 15, 2018 1:06 AM

OK, r34 is a woman.

Shoo, back to tumblr with you.

by Anonymousreply 66April 15, 2018 1:13 AM

R59 you're right. Leni Riefenstahl was just a film maker, Albert Speer, only an architect.

by Anonymousreply 67April 15, 2018 1:33 AM

Taylor Swift is trash. She should’ve been flushed.

by Anonymousreply 68April 15, 2018 1:51 AM

Eye roll.

Earth Wind and Fire I am sure will be quite happy to collect the residuals that come from Taylor Swift covering their song.

by Anonymousreply 69April 15, 2018 1:57 AM

She and Karlie Kloss had a falling out and aren't good friends anymore. I wonder what happened?

by Anonymousreply 70April 15, 2018 2:52 AM

I couldn't even finish the clip. I've never actually heard any of her songs. But then, I'm a Kate Bush person.

Good that EWF will make money. But her version makes me feel old and I don't like that. What an anemic voice.

by Anonymousreply 71April 15, 2018 3:09 AM

Times really have changed in the sense that as an older person, what the "youngins" listen to is supposed to outrage me because it's supposed to be the "devil's music." Like the way parents were outraged by Elvis swinging his hips or the Beatles/Rolling Stones/60s anti-Vietnam music or Stone Temple Pilots/Red Chili Peppers/Nirvana/NWA/Beastie Boys /RUN DMC (my time), but this shit....?

My God, kids, what is this milquetoast, shitty, crap you all listen to? No soul. Over-produced, flavorless shit.

by Anonymousreply 72April 15, 2018 3:23 AM

I love the song September and her version is truly joyless. The EW& F version always evoked cool, crisp, sunny autumn days when anything was possible.

Swift has turned it into a funeral dirge.

by Anonymousreply 73April 15, 2018 3:31 AM

I had a very special time with my first bf on the 21st of September in London. I used to feel so sexy when this song played.

by Anonymousreply 74April 15, 2018 3:58 AM

But at least you still have the memories, R74.

Better to have loved and lost...

by Anonymousreply 75April 15, 2018 4:03 AM

I think she will drop a surprise acoustic album by the end of the year.

This last album is a big bummer because her transparently manufactured lil-victim-me schtick is very out of step with the current cultural climate.

by Anonymousreply 76April 15, 2018 6:07 AM

Considering the song was written by a Jewish lesbian, Allee Willis- it couldn't be more appropriate for Taylor. Allee, who looks like Bruce Villanch also wrote Boogie Wonderland, the Friends theme song and most recently Color Purple.

by Anonymousreply 77April 15, 2018 6:44 AM

Kill it with fire.

by Anonymousreply 78April 15, 2018 4:49 PM

There's no problem if the white artist appropriating black music is cool, original and creating quality.

Elvis and Taylor Swift are not cool. They're corny biters.

by Anonymousreply 79April 15, 2018 4:54 PM

FINGERNAILS ON A CHALKBOARD!

by Anonymousreply 80April 15, 2018 5:05 PM

Cardi B should do an expletive laced cover version of "Our Song"

She looks like a total Lipstick Lez in this video. if was a Butch, my gash would be leaking fish sauce too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81April 15, 2018 6:12 PM

R61 I had no idea that Dolly had shut down her Dixie Stampede Dinner theater and that she had shut off her many red neck country fans. Do you know hw long ago that happened?

by Anonymousreply 82April 15, 2018 8:03 PM

R82, The Dixie Stampede is now called "Dolly Parton's Stampede" and they got rid of the Confederate flags after protests. Happened earlier this year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83April 15, 2018 8:33 PM

Is she dating Angela Lansbury now?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84April 15, 2018 9:12 PM

Her music will never be good because there is nothing authentic about her. And it comes through in her shitty output.

by Anonymousreply 85April 15, 2018 10:17 PM

Joe Alwyn is creepy looking.

by Anonymousreply 86April 16, 2018 2:56 AM

"September" co-writer calls Taylor Swift's Earth, Wind & Fire cover "as lethargic as a drunk turtle dozing under a sunflower after ingesting a bottle of Valium"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87May 21, 2018 5:12 AM

I refuse to listen to this, but it can't be worse than the Jonas bros botching Superstition, can it?

Although Stevie Wonder was on board with that fuckery, which made it even worse.

James Brown is rolling in his grave.

by Anonymousreply 88May 21, 2018 5:25 AM

She sings the white version with no groove.

by Anonymousreply 89May 21, 2018 5:51 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!