Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Taylor Swift’s cover of Earth, Wind & Fire’s ‘September’ is getting some pretty harsh criticism

Taylor Swift sent the Internet into a tizzy on Friday when she released a breathy, folksy cover of Earth, Wind & Fire’s 1978 love jam “September” on Spotify. Her version stripped away away the original’s funk-laden sensibility and presented the tune as a slow-burning countrypolitan song. Covering a beloved song is tricky, and covering a beloved song in a new style is sure to irk some die-hard fans. So criticism was as swift as it was inevitable.

Monique Judge, a columnist for the black culture magazine the Root, took particularly issue with the cover. In a column titled “Taylor Swift Just Disrespected Earth, Wind & Fire With Her Cover of ‘September,’” Judge hoped that the song was “some type of messed up Friday the 13th prank.”

“There are certain songs you don’t mess with, especially if you don’t have the range, and we all know Taylor Swift has all the range of a dial tone,” Judge wrote.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13April 14, 2018 1:20 AM

Cry me a river.

by Anonymousreply 1April 13, 2018 7:21 PM

That is some Hee Haw meets Summer's Eve commercial fuckery, right there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2April 13, 2018 7:21 PM

Rip her ovaries out so she cannot breed. Desecration of a classic by a fourth rate would be singer.

by Anonymousreply 3April 13, 2018 7:26 PM

[quote]“There are certain songs you don’t mess with, especially if you don’t have the range, and we all know Taylor Swift has all the range of a dial tone,” Judge wrote.

GIRRRRL!

SHADE!

by Anonymousreply 4April 13, 2018 7:30 PM

That's because it's god awful.

by Anonymousreply 5April 13, 2018 7:31 PM

Boo-dee-ewww.

by Anonymousreply 6April 13, 2018 8:03 PM

uhuh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7April 13, 2018 8:06 PM

Hate her breathy voice. Pop music has been mostly shit the last 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 8April 13, 2018 8:15 PM

R8 Yes, and the look on her face when she sings is just as bad. Poor thing wants to be sexy in the worst way!

by Anonymousreply 9April 13, 2018 8:19 PM

This is what we're left with? I need me some Purple Rain to clean my pop palate. Damn.

by Anonymousreply 10April 13, 2018 8:21 PM

Sounds like a fibromyalgia drug commercial.

by Anonymousreply 11April 13, 2018 10:39 PM

LOL just listened to it, the Summer's Eve commercial comment was right on the money! W & W

by Anonymousreply 12April 14, 2018 1:13 AM

She cannot sing. At all. I am mystified as to how someone so completely talentless became such a big star.

by Anonymousreply 13April 14, 2018 1:20 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!