Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Spy Series 'Killing Eve' on BBC America

[quote]Starring [bold]Sandra Oh[/bold] and [bold]Jodie Comer[/bold], as a bored MI5 security agent and an international hitwoman, who enter into a rousing game of cat and mouse after the latter gets a little too cocky with showing off her particular set of skills. Also featuring DL fave [bold]Fiona Shaw[/bold].

[quote]Adapted from the [italic]Villanelle[/italic] novellas by Luke Jennings, [italic]Killing Eve[/italic] is mostly written and executive produced by [bold]Phoebe Waller-Bridge[/bold], who, in addition to acting in films like [italic]Albert Nobbs, The Iron Lady, Goodbye Christopher Robin,[/italic] and the upcoming [italic]Solo: A Star Wars Story,[/italic] has also created, written, and starred in her own television series [italic]Crashing[/italic] and the acclaimed [italic]Fleabag[/italic] on Amazon.

Been hearing raves about this everywhere. Renewed for the second season even before the first episode had aired.

Premieres Sunday, April 8, at 8pm on BBC America.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 393June 1, 2019 2:29 PM

This cute twink will be appearing in seven out of eight episodes, if you're into that. Just sayin'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 7, 2018 12:24 AM

Fiona Shaw is a DL fave?

by Anonymousreply 2April 7, 2018 12:39 AM

r2 Well, she is now!

by Anonymousreply 3April 7, 2018 12:46 AM

Oh, god, I irrationally HATE Jodie Comer's face.

Come to think of it, she looks like Ivanka.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4April 7, 2018 2:34 AM

r4 Yeah, I know [italic]exactly[/italic] what you mean. We'll see if it looks more bearable in motion and what her acting's like.

by Anonymousreply 5April 7, 2018 9:23 AM

First ep is free on BBC America. Pretty good! Glad to see Sandra Oh back.

by Anonymousreply 6April 8, 2018 5:52 AM

r6 Thanks for the heads up! I'm going to watch it right now.

I see Tom&Lorenzo are loving it as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7April 8, 2018 9:58 AM

And here's a nice interview about it with the showrunner in Variety.

[quote]“There was a meeting at one point where someone actually said, ‘We can’t have too many women,’ meaning it will look unbelievable,” says Waller-Bridge. “I was like, ‘What the f— are you talking about?’ Not if it’s written well and shot well.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8April 8, 2018 10:01 AM

Is this lesbian-interest? I will watch if the Sapphic fanservice is good enough.

by Anonymousreply 9April 8, 2018 1:46 PM

After watching the first episode, it's not overtly sapphic, R9, but it does have some undertones.

I think the leads have good chemistry though, even from their first small interaction.

So far though, it's a fun, dark, engaging series with women at the helm of writing and production.

And you're welcome, OP!

by Anonymousreply 10April 8, 2018 6:25 PM

Loved the first episode! The acting is on point across the board but damn, that dialogue is something else. The immediate and effortless way in which Waller-Bridge establishes her characters is just brilliant. I really hope she makes it big in Hollywood one day, in whatever capacity.

And I completely understand now why Comer was cast in the role as she looks like a sociopathic shark! This is no Jennifer Lawrence beauty queen bullshit; I was legitimately terrified of her the entire time. Though they haven't really explained why Sandra Oh's character - an American - would work at MI5. I feel like a foreign(-born) person working at one of the national intelligence agencies in such high a position is definitely something that wouldn't happen in real life.

I believe this is going to compete with the premiere of 'Howards End' tonight so we'll see how it does, ratings-wise.

by Anonymousreply 11April 8, 2018 6:46 PM

Sandra Oh was on This Morning today.

[quote][bold]On first reading the script and assuming that she was not the lead[/bold]

[quote]Yes. As an actress of color, right, you — just to see how deep the belief system had run into me, myself, that I would see a script and immediately not assume that I am the primary storyteller. And, you know, they basically woke me up from that. And it was really sad. It was very, very sad, and then also happy in that moment, because it was sad to see how deep the internalization went for me, and it was really exhilarating to know that that belief system is no longer true.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12April 9, 2018 1:02 PM

[bold]Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Vicky Jones Comedy ‘Run’ Gets Pilot Order at HBO[/bold]

[quote]The project is described as a romantic-comedic-thriller about ex-lovers who made a pact 15 years ago that if they ever needed to escape life, they could send each other a simple text message – “RUN” – and impulsively disappear together.

[quote]Vicky Jones [Fleabag producer] wrote the script and will serve as executive producer via DryWrite. Waller-Bridge will also executive produce in addition to playing the recurring role of Flick.

You go [italic]get[/italic] that HBO money, gurl!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13April 13, 2018 1:36 PM

You bitches are really missing out. Villanelle would be the best resident DL assassin.

BBC America - Sundays at 8 pm

by Anonymousreply 14April 16, 2018 4:03 AM

I like this show, but Sandra Oh's over reacting, screaming and carrying on in the during that one scene in the first episode was hideous. It ruined the episode for me. That was some truly shitty acting

by Anonymousreply 15April 16, 2018 5:21 AM

Second episode slowed down a bit but they're setting the pieces so it's fine. The pacing could be better, though the ending was electrifying.

Do we like the twink at r1 or what? I do love me some meaty calves and this boy delivers. His accent is truly bizarre to me at times, however. Speaking of accents, I'm glad they explained Eve's Connecticut past. I noticed last week that it wasn't just me bothered by that; people on different podcasts who have recommended this show have also brought it up as a plot hole.

And farewell to Charlie Hamblett. Did you know he used to fuck Daisy Ridley?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 16, 2018 3:15 PM

Just started watching episode 2. Dear lord, they are writing Sandra Oh's character as "goofy". Sort of like the stupid characters from Grey's Anatomy. The part where she was stuttering, nervous and rambling on was embarassing

I want to like this show, but Grey's Anatomy type characters only appeal to the lowest common denominator type folks. I thought this was going to be a smart show. Instead one of the lead character's is silly

by Anonymousreply 17April 17, 2018 7:22 AM

I don't like Sandra oh at all. I do like spy genre so I will check it out

by Anonymousreply 18April 17, 2018 7:53 AM

I think Oh's character is wonderfully written and her (comedic) acting is genius-level so that's why it might fly over some people's heads. As a goofball myself, I like seeing goofy people being represented on screen.

by Anonymousreply 19April 17, 2018 11:22 AM

Villanelle is a sick, sick freak and, mark my words, she will become a gay icon. By Halloween, half of us will be dressing up like her. The Baby Jane crowd really ought to tune in.

by Anonymousreply 20April 17, 2018 4:41 PM

R16 Yeah he banged her as much as I did

by Anonymousreply 21April 17, 2018 5:38 PM

Not even Phoebe Waller-Bridge can escape the trope that is "kill your gays". Because there's no way he survived those stabbings, right? I do appreciate this lavender marriage being portrayed on our TV, without any kind of shame or remorse. Hey, he's old school so don't judge (too much). Although killing him right after that revelation is still bad optics.

r21 I don't know, he comes across as straight to me. And before she landed the SW gig, I'd even say he was slumming it up with her.

by Anonymousreply 22April 24, 2018 11:58 AM

cant watch sandra oh

ugh

by Anonymousreply 23April 24, 2018 12:02 PM

Love Sandra Oh.

But will say this seems similar to Mary Kills People, featuring another favorite of mine, Caroline Dhavernas. Not the actual story but more in the way it's being presented.

by Anonymousreply 24April 24, 2018 12:09 PM

r2, you must be fairly new- Fiona Shaw's acting was a huge point of discussion during the, "True Blood" years and it became DL meme afterwards.

I'm enjoying the series for what it is, mindless fluff, but Sandra's face is too Silly Putty for me. Jodie is having fun with La Villanelle.

by Anonymousreply 25April 30, 2018 2:01 AM

I am watching this coz i love spy shit. But I don't really like sandra oh. I do not want to see love/sex scenes with her in it!!!! Please! no!!!

by Anonymousreply 26April 30, 2018 2:03 AM

the music is funny.

by Anonymousreply 27April 30, 2018 2:04 AM

Is it any better than Spooks? I watched that for a few seasons until it started circling the drain.

by Anonymousreply 28April 30, 2018 2:05 AM

[quote]Is it any better than Spooks? I watched that for a few seasons until it started circling the drain.

Yeah, that got really stupid at the end. Plus, they did a spin-off series and a movie of it.

by Anonymousreply 29April 30, 2018 2:47 AM

Although I see it listed as a thriller and drama (yay), some of you described it as something akin to a dramedy (nay).

by Anonymousreply 30April 30, 2018 3:23 AM

It's a dramedy in the sense that it has funny lines in it.

Diego (played by Edward Akrout) was sexy in this episode.

r25 I thought her acting on True Blood was phenomenal and far above everyone else's. Her transition from a life-long loser and a joke to an empowered woman was the best thing on that whole show and she sold it completely. She's doing great work in this show as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31April 30, 2018 5:35 PM

Jodie Comer's actual accent. Remarkable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32April 30, 2018 11:44 PM

Wow. Like Tatiana Maslany with the accents.

by Anonymousreply 33May 1, 2018 12:46 AM

People on Twitter with advanced previews are teasing a killer episode tonight so I'm excited.

by Anonymousreply 34May 6, 2018 2:37 PM

I am absolutely loving it so far. I’d actually call it delicious, and I rarely use the D word.

Sean Delaney is an adorable twink.

by Anonymousreply 35May 6, 2018 2:41 PM

[quote]Sean Delaney is an adorable twink.

He most certainly is! His speech patterns remain a mystery, however. Sounds like a kid whose voice dropped a week ago at times. Like he isn't fully in control of it yet. Very peculiar.

by Anonymousreply 36May 6, 2018 2:45 PM

[quote]Come to think of it, she looks like Ivanka.

I just watched the first two episodes yesterday, and that was the first thing I said.

The "bye-bye" with the perfume lady and the princess dress were hilarious touches played very well .

by Anonymousreply 37May 6, 2018 3:16 PM

So I was eating asparagus with prosciutto while watching last night's episode and a bit of stringy fat got lodged in my throat at the exact moment Villanelle fished that ungodly hairball out of the drain. I nearly vomited on my parrot!

Russian prisons are extra dour and bleak, aren't they?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38May 14, 2018 3:32 PM

I am enjoying this series, too bad its so few episodes!

What other shows are you guys watching? I love spy shit!

by Anonymousreply 39May 14, 2018 3:47 PM

r39 'Counterpart' is another proper spy series that the critics quite liked (100% on RottenTomatoes). It premiered this year but that DL thread went nowhere fast. It's so tasteful and nice to look at, but the glacial pace was killing me so I dropped it eventually as well.

Though it's only ten episode and I still maintain it's a must-see for all fans of spy shit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40May 14, 2018 6:07 PM

Villanelle is really entertaining, Comer is definitely the standout on the show. I’m always a little disappointed when it’s time for Sandra Oh scenes, but I guess they need to balance crazy Villanelle with a “straight” character.

by Anonymousreply 41May 14, 2018 10:22 PM

*, and Comer is definitely

by Anonymousreply 42May 14, 2018 10:24 PM

I can tell that Phoebe Waller-Bridge is involved. All the little quirky things that go on definitely come out of her brain.

by Anonymousreply 43May 15, 2018 12:47 AM

r43 Exactly. Like the slightly surreal thing she does in the gif at r38. Where the hell else would you see that on TV if not in a PWB show?

by Anonymousreply 44May 15, 2018 12:50 AM

I almost expect Fleabag to come walking into the shot and make some quirky aside. Maybe about Villanelle's lesbian tendencies?

by Anonymousreply 45May 15, 2018 12:53 AM

I can confirm Comer is def has lesbians swooning everywhere. I love the show love spy shit, female assasins be still my beating heart, but Sandra Oh is so damn unpleasant to look at. If the character of Eve was casted to a more beautiful and talented actress my god this show would be incredible. Even as is I still find this to be the best new show I’ve seen in awhile.

by Anonymousreply 46May 15, 2018 1:44 AM

This show would be event television on DL if both of the leads were men. A detective falling for the criminal he's pursuing? Sign me up! Mind you, I still love that lesbians have this fun show and I'm not at all bitter or anything.

I loved the actress on the right; she was so sweet and friendly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47May 15, 2018 2:36 AM

What is it with Sandra Oh always playing with her hair? Was that in the book? Will Villanelle eventually chop off all of Eve's hair?

And I don't believe for one second that the homely boss has had as much sex as she says. She looks like the stereotypical "no sex, we're British" type. But I do think Fiona Shaw is great in the role. She's very good at the cat and mouse game.

by Anonymousreply 48May 15, 2018 2:43 AM

It should have been me.

by Anonymousreply 49May 15, 2018 2:44 AM

I love Sandra Oh.

by Anonymousreply 50May 15, 2018 2:48 AM

I love this show. Jodie is a revelation.

by Anonymousreply 51May 15, 2018 4:04 AM

I do not like Sandra oh but I love spy shit so I’m watching. I dvr the show and fast forward any love scenes she has with her husband

by Anonymousreply 52May 15, 2018 4:27 AM

It's funny how I didn't like Fleabag after 2 episodes, but I'm loving this (with the exception of Sandra's Noh's eyebrows and weird puffy lips). Good trashy fun.

by Anonymousreply 53May 15, 2018 11:07 AM

I would be happy to see Oxana taken down a peg or 50.

by Anonymousreply 54May 16, 2018 1:05 AM

You're in luck; I feel like that prison stay and the whole betrayal thing are going to get to her, hard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55May 16, 2018 1:10 AM

The show is entertaining and Sandra Oh character's husband is fine and the hairy "spanish" twink is to die for.

by Anonymousreply 56May 18, 2018 11:07 PM

r56 Okay, who's the "Spanish" twink? I must have been distracted by something (again) while that bit was revealed. I try to showcase all of the boys in this thread so you can just point him out here. You can also slap me viciously if I somehow failed to include him.

by Anonymousreply 57May 18, 2018 11:40 PM

It’s been renewed for 2nd season

by Anonymousreply 58May 19, 2018 2:16 AM

r58 Yes, it's in the opening post. They had renewed it before the first episode aired. I guess they realized from all the reviews it would do well enough.

by Anonymousreply 59May 19, 2018 2:28 AM

So I guess Eve doesn't get killed in Season 1?

Or maybe Eve does get killed and next Season will be a new agent? Killing Beryl.

by Anonymousreply 60May 19, 2018 2:48 AM

Caught up on the first five episodes over the weekend; looking forward to the rest of season one. All of the female leads are very good. I never watched Sandra Oh in that Doctor show, so maybe her obvious quirks don't annoy me as much. But yes, Fiona is owning every scene she's in.

Glad to hear it has been renewed. I hope they keep up the production values - filming on location in various cities in Europe and realistic outdoor locations all the time, as opposed to a few sets and generic streets like so many tv series.

by Anonymousreply 61May 21, 2018 4:46 PM

I'm glad Villanelle dispensed with Anton so quickly; he was annoying me to no end. I got an Andrew Scott in Sherlock cringe vibe from Andrew Byron's acting and that's never good. Although, that's two homos down now. When does it end?!

Did you notice the teacher's hair was pretty much identical to Eve's when she lets it down?

r61 I'm loving the locations as well. The past two episodes actually look like they take place in Russia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62May 21, 2018 6:59 PM

I agree r47. I am enjoying this even though there is no good male eye candy. Jodie Comer pulls you in as Villanelle, excellent portrayal.

I'm interested in seeing how the writers handle the relationship between Sandra Oh's character and Jodie's. I knew two different women in college who were straight but ended up falling in love with one of their female professors. What was interesting was that as they gushed all about their teachers to me all I could think was "She's in love with her teacher and she doesn't know it." So I sat back and watched each of them discover it for themselves. Neither had a bad reaction to the revelation and both ended up sleeping with their teachers, the relationships did not last long however. And both of them ended up down the road married to men. I think their professors were the only women they ever slept with, but I can't say for certain.

I know it's not always that smooth of a transition for some people making the discovery they are attracted to the same sex so I'm wondering how they will handle Sandra's character when she discovers she's obsessed with Villanelle. .

by Anonymousreply 63May 22, 2018 3:09 AM

I cringe at the thought of what will happen to Konstantin's family next.

r63 Interesting anecdotes. And highly disconcerting; I feel like pedagogues definitely have a code of ethics that expressly forbids them from sleeping with their students. Or at least they should have, in my opinion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64May 22, 2018 2:28 PM

The "spanish" twink is Sebastian, who lives in Eve's building. She has a brief liaison with him. He says came to Paris from Spain and gave up his studies. Played by Brit Charlie Hamblett of enormous bee stung lips, which may be producing whatever that accent is supposed to be.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65May 22, 2018 5:30 PM

[quote]He says came to Paris from Spain and gave up his studies.

Oh yes, that's exactly the bit I must have missed. I featured him at r16.

by Anonymousreply 66May 22, 2018 5:32 PM

r64 I also remembered that in recent years (about four years ago) I worked with a woman that is little more than 20 years younger than me who told me about the affair she had with HER professor in college. Has me thinking that female professors feel safer in crossing that line with their female students because they (the professors) don't see it as egregious and the students are very willing. Particularly the women that have never been with another woman before.

by Anonymousreply 67May 24, 2018 3:19 AM

Fiona Shaw is one of the 12. I'd bet my ass on it.

by Anonymousreply 68May 25, 2018 1:55 AM

o m g, this is my current tv obsession. Can’t wait to finish it during this fabulous long weekend. Season 2 can’t get here fast enough.

by Anonymousreply 69May 25, 2018 2:21 AM

I also have a feeling Fiona Shaw in one of The Twelve but is working as a double agent in it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70May 25, 2018 1:22 PM

So you think that picture of young Konstantin and Carolyn is actually a picture of The Twelve?

by Anonymousreply 71May 25, 2018 2:16 PM

r71 Oh, yes, for sure. And Oksana's teacher is the founder!

by Anonymousreply 72May 25, 2018 2:21 PM

I have to agree with the poster upthread, I think alot of us will be dressed as Villanelle come Halloween. This is a terrific show, and if handled well, it's headed toward being a gay classic ala Joan or Bette films. The camp level is there.

by Anonymousreply 73May 25, 2018 2:57 PM

"You hit me with a log?!"

I don't understand, a log is a beverage glass?

Kindly explain, this had me perplexed.

by Anonymousreply 74May 25, 2018 3:20 PM

R74

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75May 25, 2018 3:29 PM

Northern California thanks you, r75.

by Anonymousreply 76May 25, 2018 3:34 PM

Per r75, if Gary Merrill hit Bette that hard with a log it would be a DL meme for generations.

I'm telling you, there's some potential gay history happening right here in your lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 77May 25, 2018 3:40 PM

The entire show is a runaway renegade meme.

by Anonymousreply 78May 25, 2018 3:42 PM

Thread title, forty years from now: "Why wasn't 'Killing Eve' talked about more on DL when it was airing?"

Me, posting from my retirement home: "Don't look at me, bitch, I created the original thread!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79May 25, 2018 3:47 PM

Villanelle is the sickest, most vile little vixen we've had in decades. Glenn Close and Sharon Stone only wish they could have had this role.

by Anonymousreply 80May 25, 2018 4:03 PM

Pam Dawber is still angling for season two on the Lifetime Channel remake.

by Anonymousreply 81May 25, 2018 4:13 PM

It’s one of the best things on TV right now.

by Anonymousreply 82May 25, 2018 4:14 PM

r80 Oh, I'm the OP, but all of the old connections were severed in April's site-wide reset, unfortunately. (In case you were trying to check with the trolldar.)

by Anonymousreply 83May 25, 2018 4:14 PM

What would happen if Eve were to cut her hair, chop it all off and shave it down to the skull.

by Anonymousreply 84May 25, 2018 4:24 PM

She'd be bald r84.

by Anonymousreply 85May 25, 2018 4:27 PM

r84, what a kickass plot device. Would we hear the creaking as Villanelle lost her last hinge?

by Anonymousreply 86May 25, 2018 4:41 PM

Fun article about Villanelle's obsession with hair:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87May 25, 2018 4:56 PM

She kills in colors everywhere / She combs her hair /She kills in colors

by Anonymousreply 88May 25, 2018 4:59 PM

If, as r84 suggested, the hair comes off,

The Hair Comes Off.

That's a helluvan idea.

by Anonymousreply 89May 25, 2018 10:07 PM

I can tell Phoebe Waller-Bridge is involved. Villanelle gets hit with a log and then the guy speeds off in a boat giving her the middle finger. It's so campy.

by Anonymousreply 90May 26, 2018 1:32 AM

Did anyone else watch the season one finale?!

Christ, it was good, but I feel sorry for Villanelle.

by Anonymousreply 91May 28, 2018 2:13 AM

Marvelous.

"I'm going to kill you in the face!"

by Anonymousreply 92May 28, 2018 3:31 AM

Wow. Great finale.

Poor Villanelle the psychotic homicidal bisexual assassin.

It would be great to see V and Eve at some point be able to have their own unique dysfunctional relationship but if PWB follows the lesbian lovers guide book for writers we know what will happen. One or both of them will end up dead or with a man. It would be refreshing if that doesn't happen though. Maybe Eve could become an assassin trained by Villanelle who decides to stay home and take care of Konstanin's daughter who they adopt. Villanelle could make sausages for Eve to take to work for lunch.

by Anonymousreply 93May 28, 2018 5:58 AM

Why oh why did she have to stab her at the end there? I wanted to see some tribadism finally!

r93 PWB killed two gays already so I'm not holding my breath.

by Anonymousreply 94May 28, 2018 3:21 PM

Dammit! How long do we have to wait until Season 2? Konstantin's daughter seems like she's going to be Villanelle 2.0.

by Anonymousreply 95May 28, 2018 3:38 PM

94 She killed Bill and are you counting Anna as the second gay killed so far?

by Anonymousreply 96May 28, 2018 5:11 PM

No, I'm counting the guy at r62. He was definitely gay and playing up the mannerisms on purpose.

by Anonymousreply 97May 28, 2018 5:14 PM

We still have to see if she's going to follow the other lesbian tropes though 94. It's okay if she uses them as long as the series does not end with the tropes holding up. Get me? She can always add them then smash them, it's time they get smashed. I want to see my lesbian sisters get the twisted happy ending they deserve.

Sorry for posting again. I hit post before I was really ready.

by Anonymousreply 98May 28, 2018 5:15 PM

Trying to skip over possible spoilers. I’m binge-watching now, and loving it. Thanks for the tip, hookers.

by Anonymousreply 99May 28, 2018 8:53 PM

Embarrassing bit from the AV Club recapper.

[quote]OK, has that woman ever seen a horse? There are many good jokes on this show, but somehow that woman describing “an ’orse” by growling and making claws was my favorite joke because I am sophisticated. At first I was like, come on, Eve, she’s clearly saying “horse,” but now I have no idea what animal she meant.

Ouch.

by Anonymousreply 100May 28, 2018 10:06 PM

I enjoy the show. I think the actors are strong and the writing is good and it deserves to be successful. I appreciate that it's female driven; I think that's great. But I don't think it's [italic]art[/art]. The Jezebelian bloggers over at AV talk about it as if it has a depth it simply doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 101May 28, 2018 11:30 PM

[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 102May 28, 2018 11:30 PM

Damn it, we're no closer to finding out who or what the 12 are. Forget all this lesbian crap, I want to know who the 12 are and what is their purpose?

by Anonymousreply 103May 28, 2018 11:36 PM

[quote]“God, it makes me rage how efficient things are when you’re a dick to people.”

I just adore these offhand insightful remarks that made me fall in love with PWB's writing in Fleabag.

r103 Twelve seasons, and in each season one of The Twelve gets unmasked. One down, eleven to go. How does that sound to you?

by Anonymousreply 104May 28, 2018 11:40 PM

And La V has to assassinate each one, per season. Do you really think she wants out? Or is she feeding a line of bullshit to Eve? You know Eve's husband is doomed to the same fate as Anna's husband, poor thing.

by Anonymousreply 105May 29, 2018 12:52 AM

I liked the first seven episodes very much, but I felt let down by the finale. I thought the tone was off, with too much silliness.

by Anonymousreply 106May 29, 2018 1:28 AM

I think Eve and V might get the twisted happy ending. PWB seems to lean towards the unexpected in storytelling and there is so much stacked against both characters that you'd think they wouldn't make it.

Also, I don't think V would ever kill Eve. She has some humanity and I think she'd keep her promises, oddly enough.

Then again, who knows? I'm intrigued for the next season, either way.

by Anonymousreply 107May 29, 2018 1:31 AM

[quote]I liked the first seven episodes very much, but I felt let down by the finale. I thought the tone was off, with too much silliness.

The final episode was written by Phoebe Waller-Bridge alone and I think that she needs someone to pull her in a bit. She can load an episode with too much quirkiness.

Has anyone read the books they are based on? Are they as quirky as the tv show?

by Anonymousreply 108May 29, 2018 1:48 AM

r108, I was going to, but the reviews on them were pretty dismal:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109May 29, 2018 2:41 AM

r101 It may not be art but it is telling a story on different levels. For instance, the title Killing Eve is not literal, It's more than likely not about someone trying to put an end to the life of Eve. It's about how a woman Eve is changed through her obsession with another woman who happens to be a psychopath and an assassin. Also, maybe Eve is the stand in for women everywhere who opt for a secure life rather than living who they truly are no matter the consequences. Women the world over are socialized to fall in line with narrow social norms, relationship expectations. Don't rock the boat. Don't be assertive. Don't be so emotional. etc. So killing Eve is ending the accepted way of being female for the world of men and instead finding your true self and not being afraid to live it. . . like Villanelle.

How about these musings. . .

When Villanelle and Anna saw each other again it was clear Anna had some hate for Oksana, it was also clear that she still loves Oksana. Anna wanted to kill Oksana, she also wanted to help her, "Let me clean your wounds." Anna hated Oksana because she loved her, hated Oksana because Anna could not accept her feelings for another woman. When Anna told Eve that her life was ruined after her husband died, I felt Anna was not just talking about losing her "Maxy" but about Oksana as well. Anna denied her attraction until the end. "the closet kills" Anna killed herself because she couldn't live knowing Oksana was still alive, that she didn't have to strength to kill Oksana because she still loves her and that she truly had feelings for another woman.

Interestingly Eve ends up stabbing Villanelle for some of the same reasons Anna wanted to shoot Villanelle. Anna's feelings are mirrored in Eve, but Eve chooses to act all her complicated feelings out by stabbing V. It's also interesting that both Eve and Anna blamed all their problems on V/Oksana taking no responsibility for their own actions that may have set them up to be exactly where they found themselves. So while V/Oksana is a murdering psychopath she is true to herself as much as she can be. Meanwhile these other ladies are looking to place blame on someone else and in the process deny who they are.

So there is a lot of shit happening. It's a fun show to watch, yes? But if this stuff I wrote didn't occur to you then you are missing the "art" of it.

by Anonymousreply 110May 29, 2018 4:42 AM

I can't stand Sandra Oh.

And why wouldnt't her character be Canadian?

by Anonymousreply 111May 29, 2018 4:52 AM

I read the book r108. No quirk what so ever. It's pretty dry actually.

BOOK SPOILERS

Villanelle has no sense of humor, rather she is written as being fashion model beautiful, cold, aloof assassin. I think that is a straight guy fantasy. The cold aloof sexy female. She has no contradiction like the Villanelle in the show who is a cold blooded killer but wants someone to watch movies with and has charm.

Eve is very boring in the book (singular). I bought the Kindle version and there is only one book. Basically the book I read covers generally what we learn in the first season. It maps out who Eve is and now she gets the assignment to set up a task force of her own. It maps out who Villanelle is, how she became an assassin. It tells you about her training fairly in depth. The book Villanelle origin story is very different than TV Villanelle origin story. It introduces the 12 who are very powerful men in suits. Konstantin is a pool boy in comparison. Carolyn is not 12 material either. After setting all that up the chase for Villanelle and the 12 begins. Eve and Villanelle do not meet in the book at this stage because the end of the book is when the chase really starts. Villanelle is tested by having to kill Konstantin. Not sure if the show is going to have him be dead or alive and in hiding. Some people thing Konstantin didn't really die in the finale.

There is no Carolyn in the book or Bill or Kenny or Elena. Anna in the book is not married. The castration Villanelle commits is against a guy who raped Anna, the result is the same though. Anna is horrified and rejects Villanelle. Anna and V do not have sex in the book. A character similar to Nadia exists in the book but her relationship with Villanelle is very different. They are still lovers but the Nadia character is more equal to V in skills. Lastly in the book Villanelle does have one friend. A married wealthy woman who cheats on her husband all the time (Samantha Jones). She has connections to people in fashion and the arts. So V gets invited to fashion shows and art gatherings with her friend where she meets fabulous people to fuck.

by Anonymousreply 112May 29, 2018 5:09 AM

Jackpot of a show. Is that a shirt attached to a sweater? funniest line of the year.

by Anonymousreply 113May 29, 2018 8:02 AM

R10.. I thought she was saying the Latin word for bear: Urse

by Anonymousreply 114May 29, 2018 8:13 AM

r114 No, she was saying "un ours" because she's French. Why would she switch to Latin all of a sudden? I guess people were just thrown because she was speaking flawless English up to that point. And I had to laugh - an elderly Parisienne speaking English like that? Not bloody likely.

Also, I just love how this show deals with the language thing. Where other shows would just have everyone speak English in Russia and never address how weird that is, we get constant self-aware and playful gags like "Why don't you speak Russian?" from the kid in the finale. There was similar stuff in the prison as well.

by Anonymousreply 115May 29, 2018 10:16 AM

For R103, You might be watching the wrong show.

Phoebe: “Every moment in this show exists so that these two women can end up alone in a room together,” “Killing Eve” creator Phoebe Waller-Bridge tells Variety. “Really it would have been a betrayal to the audience if they didn’t come together in the end.”

This reviewer from Ringer got it right: Killing Eve understands what it’s about: the messy entanglement between two women who can’t help wanting what they want. For Eve Polastri (Sandra Oh), that means immersing herself in every detail of the gifted young contract killer she’s chasing more out of personal interest than professional obligation. For Villanelle (Jodie Comer), the assassin, that means “normal stuff: Nice life. Cool flat. Fun job. Someone to watch movies with.” She just wants that stuff while fulfilling her natural urges as a murderous, self-described psychopath. Basically, she wants it all.

But Killing Eve fits its not-so-subtly coded romance between a restless, dissatisfied woman and the girl whose total freedom she envies into the contours of an espionage thriller. It’s a genre notoriously heavy on plot, which Killing Eve has largely eschewed in favor of the elegant simplicity of its central dynamic. Eve chases Villanelle, and Villanelle chases Eve right back. What few gestures showrunner Phoebe Waller-Bridge makes toward a grander design are largely in the service of their relationship, rather than vice versa: Someone has to point Villanelle in the direction of her targets, so Killing Eve, based on Luke Jennings’s Villanelle novels, has a shadowy organization known as the Twelve. “If you went high enough, you’ll find we work for the same people,” Villanelle posits to Eve at the season’s halfway point, and the show itself seems to agree: Everything above the duo’s pay grade blurs together in a generic face-off of institutions; everything that involves them directly pulsates with an addictive specificity."

The show knows what it's want and it's not about the plot. The psychosexual dance is their main focus and everything else is just background scenery insisting only to serve the main leads dynamic. It's more irreverent and less pretentious hannibal.

by Anonymousreply 116May 29, 2018 1:12 PM

What do we want? A gay male spinoff! When do we want it? NOW!

[quote]This reviewer from Ringer got it right

I had never heard of that site before, thanks for the tip.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117May 29, 2018 1:26 PM

Well that might be a gay Bond then eh?

by Anonymousreply 118May 29, 2018 3:32 PM

Gay Bond. Yass.

by Anonymousreply 119May 29, 2018 3:50 PM

Thanks R115. I don't know. I knew Urse- was the Latin word for bear (I don't speak French),. That's what I heard/. Thanks for the correction.

by Anonymousreply 120May 29, 2018 8:18 PM

If anyone is curious about that final scene this article in indiewire offers explanations on Eve's motivations and how the scene was conceived.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121May 30, 2018 3:07 AM

r121 Yeah, I was a bit confused with Eve's motivations in that scene and that was really illuminating, thanks.

[quote]“Then Sandra came over to my house for dinner, and I was talking through the scene with her, and we ended up having a bottle of wine and excitedly acting the whole thing out in my kitchen.”

That's amazing.

by Anonymousreply 122May 30, 2018 11:50 AM

Bryan Fuller said in a podcast discussion about gay characters today that the Killing Eve finale inspired him to up the ante in the possible Hannibal season 4. That's some high praise right there.

by Anonymousreply 123May 30, 2018 7:49 PM

New Yorker article breaking down the finale. Nothing new really, just that it's the New Yorker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124May 31, 2018 3:07 AM

I know we're meant to move, to move forward, to move any-which-way...

But doesn't being a grown-up feel somehow rotten and pointless when you realize that you're reading a TV recap in The New Yorker?

by Anonymousreply 125May 31, 2018 7:43 AM

Being a grown up means not giving a fuck what other people think.

by Anonymousreply 126May 31, 2018 5:17 PM

What's wrong with The New Yorker? That recap provides a critical analysis in addition to the synopsis, as most recaps do these days. Besides, it's the person who writes them that matters more to me, not necessarily where they're published.

[quote]Jia Tolentino is a staff writer at The New Yorker whose recent work includes a Profile of the attorney Gloria Allred, a review of the literature on the millennial generation, and essays on the ongoing cultural reckoning about sexual assault. Previously, she was the deputy editor at Jezebel and a contributing editor at the Hairpin. She grew up in Texas, attended the University of Virginia on a Jefferson Scholarship, served in the Peace Corps in Kyrgyzstan, and received an M.F.A. in fiction from the University of Michigan. Her criticism has appeared in the New York Times Magazine, Grantland, the Awl, Pitchfork, The Fader, Time, and Slate.

If you're interested in the perspective and insight on this particular show from a person like her (I am, for example), you'll read her recap. If not, you'll find another recapper. I read different writers for different shows for that very reason.

by Anonymousreply 127May 31, 2018 5:22 PM

I thought the finale was a mess and the characters lost the little verisimilitude they had.

by Anonymousreply 128May 31, 2018 9:52 PM

I’m sad that it’s over.

by Anonymousreply 129May 31, 2018 10:13 PM

If you hookers liked “Killing Eve”, you should check out “Deutschland 83”. Very similar spy thriller series. There’s gay stuff in it, too. Sessy men. Set in Berlin at the end of the Cold War, before the Wall came down.

Excellent stuff. You’d like it.

by Anonymousreply 130May 31, 2018 10:15 PM

I haven't seen the show, but I love the title!

by Anonymousreply 131June 1, 2018 12:17 AM

Bless your heart 131

by Anonymousreply 132June 1, 2018 2:14 AM

[bold]‘Killing Eve’ Ends First Season With Unbroken Streak Of Weekly Ratings Growth[/bold]

[quote]The season finale drew 1.25 million viewers, up 86% from its premiere, with 545,000 adults 25-54 and 378,000 adults 18-49 — up 127% and 100% from the premiere, respectively. The season finale was up over its penultimate episode, which drew 986,000 total viewers, 455,000 adults 25-54, and 367,000 adults 18-49 and was also the No. 1 most social drama of the day.

[quote]The series also continues its week-to-week growth on BBCA’s digital platforms and now ranks as the network’s No. 1 digital series ever with more than 1 million full episode views to date. In addition, the premiere has become the most watched digital episode in network history.

An unbroken record of weekly ratings growth in the key adults 25-54 and 18-49 demos is something no other show on television has accomplished in more than a decade.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133June 1, 2018 5:06 PM

I'm missing my favorite psychopath and my favorite neurotic MI5 agent.

by Anonymousreply 134June 4, 2018 1:16 AM

Phoebe Waller-Bridge is a great writer and actress. I loved her in Crashing, and her other series Fleabag. She wrote and starred in both of them. The characters are always so interesting. I wish they'd done another series of Crashing, too.

by Anonymousreply 135June 4, 2018 1:20 AM

An interview with Jodie Comer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136June 5, 2018 3:19 AM

The other Jodie is a fan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137June 12, 2018 2:37 AM

so sad, nothing to watch now...nothing good on tv at all! ugh....

by Anonymousreply 138June 12, 2018 3:59 AM

Any fans of Jodie around?

Here's a short play that's part of a BBC series for women. Jodie stars in this one. It's pretty funny, really shows her comedy chops.

God this girl is talented.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139June 30, 2018 2:16 AM

What makes Killing Eve's Villanelle so lovable despite being so evil?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140June 30, 2018 2:19 AM

[bold]Sandra Oh on ‘Killing Eve’ and Her Historic Emmy Nomination[/bold]

[quote][bold]It’s wild to imagine that, in 2018, we’re announcing you as the first Asian woman nominated in your category.[/bold]

[quote]You want to know what? Let’s celebrate it, man. I’m serious, just [expletive] celebrate it. It’s like, we’ve got to start somewhere. And I’m happy to get that ball rolling, because what I hope happens is that next year and the next year and the next year, we will have presence. And the presence will grow not only to Asian-Americans, you know, from yellow to brown, but to all our other sisters and brothers. Our First Nations sisters and brothers. Our sisters and brothers of different sizes and different shapes. If I can be a part of that change, like [expletive], yeah, let’s celebrate it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141July 14, 2018 1:14 AM

I just realized it starred the girl who spent 4 episodes constantly weeping in the awful, awful drama Remember Me. That was the one with Michael Palin playing an old man who was being haunted by his Indian former nanny who would make electricity go out, make water to drip everywhere and leave little shells all over the place. One of the stupidest miniseries ever made.

Well, she proved she can cry on cue

by Anonymousreply 142July 17, 2018 4:51 AM

Here she is crying behind Michael Palin

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143July 17, 2018 5:19 AM

Here she is crying in front of Michael Palin

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144July 17, 2018 5:20 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145July 17, 2018 5:25 AM

I don’t have a problem wth Sandra all the time she is great at times. Wonder if they considered Lucy Liu.

by Anonymousreply 146July 21, 2018 7:54 PM

OMG. I just blew through this thread not reading the posts because I stopped watching this show half way through because I ADORED it so much that I did not want it to end.

I need to watch the 5th episode!!

Best show in YEARS and the fact that it did not get Outstanding Drama Emmy nomination is SICK!

UN fucking real.

by Anonymousreply 147July 21, 2018 8:43 PM

Why does it say this series is based on books? I can only find one.

by Anonymousreply 148July 22, 2018 6:06 PM

r148 Seems there are four of them?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149July 22, 2018 6:46 PM

[bold]‘Killing Eve’: Phoebe Waller-Bridge to Produce Season 2 With New Writer, Directors[/bold]

[quote]Lead writing duty now goes to writer-actor Emerald Fennell, who will serve as an executive producer and is best-known for her role in the BBC and PBS series “Call the Midwife.” Waller-Bridge brought Fennell on board, and was also instrumental in attaching two new directors to the series, Lisa Bruhlmann (“Blue My Mind”) and Francesca Gregorini (“Electric Dreams”). Damon Thomas returns as a director and executive producer. Waller-Bridge will remain actively involved as executive producer on the new season, which has started shooting in Europe.

[quote]The first season was shot across Europe, and the second season will shoot in locations including Amsterdam, London and Paris.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150July 27, 2018 7:21 PM

Hmm, Fennell has written four episodes of TV and this short film, starring PWB, which came out this year. We'll see, although the plot of the movie makes me think she's a good fit.

[quote]A darkly comic three part short film about malevolent women.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151July 27, 2018 7:24 PM

I absolutely love some of Villanelle's naughty girl facial expressions, especially the ones used here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152July 27, 2018 8:50 PM

[bold]Why the Fashion on 'Killing Eve' Is Its Own Delicious Subplot[/bold]

[quote]Villanelle sees a side of Eve that Eve would rather not show the world. Quite romantically, that side is communicated by her unruly, fabulous hair. Villanelle comes to practically fetishize it, recognizing—accurately—that Eve could be a wilder woman than she’s allowing herself to be. In one of the most erotic moments of the show, Eve opens up her lost suitcase, only to discover that Villanelle has stocked it with decadent designer clothing, all in her exact sizes. Swigging wine, she tries on a dress—a Roland Mouret black-and-ivory number—and is stunned at the femme fatale she sees in the mirror. As the show’s costume designer, Phoebe de Gaye, put it, Villanelle “wants to manipulate Eve into seeing her own beauty.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153July 28, 2018 1:16 AM

Why was this series free last night and tonight they want me to pay four bucks per episode?

by Anonymousreply 154July 28, 2018 1:44 AM

SORRY R154!!!! I noticed a little note on Comcast that said Free through 7/25 or something and managed to catch the last half of this amazing show. For free. It will probably be free again right before the Season 2 premiere.

Fantastic show. Up there with Mad Men/SFU/The Sopranos in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 155July 28, 2018 10:09 AM

Good show.

by Anonymousreply 156August 30, 2018 11:45 AM

the Asian lady is a mystery to me

I find her unwatchable

by Anonymousreply 157August 30, 2018 12:21 PM

And whoever said that they didn't get a sapphic vibe from this must be headless.

by Anonymousreply 158August 31, 2018 1:56 AM

R157, I always felt that way about Sandra too! I found her perfect in Sideway,s and was like finally I can watch this woman in something.

Killing Eve, has 100% turned me around! I absolutely LOVE HER now. She has a great mixture of strength, humor, intelligence, emotional inaccessibility and emotional vulnerability. And she has EXCELLENT CHEMISTRY with all the actors on the series. I cannot say enough good things. She oozes a detached sarcastic quality had hides the character's sensitivity.

by Anonymousreply 159September 1, 2018 1:36 PM

Interview with Phoebe Waller-Bridge in this weekend's Guardian:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160September 9, 2018 7:13 PM

Jodie Comer does not work as an international beauty type. She is pretty, not in a likeable way, but in the manner of an aerobics instructor from Swindon. Like the Sloaney actress miscast as Princess Margaret in The Crown, she is British suburbia writ large.

by Anonymousreply 161September 21, 2018 10:20 PM

There is something wrong with Sandra Oh's eyelids.

by Anonymousreply 162September 21, 2018 10:29 PM

R57 the Spanish twink with luscious lips is Charlie Hamblett. He used to be the bf of Daisy Ridley of Star Wars.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163November 19, 2018 11:25 AM

They're filming the second series at the moment. They were filming in Senate House in London the other day.

by Anonymousreply 164November 19, 2018 12:00 PM

Reviews for the second season looking good!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165March 27, 2019 2:43 PM

Season two trailer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166March 27, 2019 2:43 PM

Starts tonight on BBC America and AMC at 8 p.m.

I've seen the first episode, which was available early on iPlayer and... there's definitely a noticeable difference in the writing. I wonder how the general audience is going to react to that. The critics seem to like it.

by Anonymousreply 167April 7, 2019 4:41 PM

oooooOOOOoooooOOOOOoooooo

That theme, reminds me of the lalalalalala from Sister Act 2 . Is that an overture from something ?

by Anonymousreply 168April 7, 2019 4:45 PM

Been looking forward to this!

by Anonymousreply 169April 7, 2019 4:51 PM

Looking forward to tonight's episode and hoping the new team of writers doesn't destroy the unique vibe.

by Anonymousreply 170April 7, 2019 5:11 PM

Renewed for third season and getting a new showrunner.

[quote]Per a press release from BBC America, Suzanne Heathcote (Fear Of The Walking Dead) will take over the reins from current head writer Emerald Fennell, who stepped in for Phoebe Waller-Bridge this go-round.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171April 8, 2019 5:52 PM

A Walking Dead writer? RIP Killing Eve.

by Anonymousreply 172April 8, 2019 6:42 PM

So happy it’s back. I laughed when Villanelle did the thing in the hospital. Jesus god.

by Anonymousreply 173April 9, 2019 12:12 AM

I liked the episode, but yeah, the writing change is noticeable. And now they'll be changing showrunners AGAIN next season? Crazy.

by Anonymousreply 174April 9, 2019 12:22 AM

Why are they torturing us with weekly episodes instead of dropping the entire season like civilized people do in 2019?

by Anonymousreply 175April 9, 2019 5:58 AM

I didn't think the change was that noticeable except for when Villanelle wanted the stickers and lollipop in the hospital. That was too twee. I also would have liked to see more of a thought process between "Eve stabbed me, I want to kill the bitch" and "Eve stabbed me, that means she really loves me".

Killing Gabriel was in character I guess, but still made me wince a bit.

by Anonymousreply 176April 9, 2019 3:33 PM

I’m confused. Dish took away my BBCAmerica and is AMC just showing the first season ? Why is Phobe three names not the show runner anymore ?

by Anonymousreply 177April 9, 2019 3:53 PM

I watched an episode last week. It was stupid and appeared to be repetitive. Like the tv series The Fugitive, but with lots of guns.

by Anonymousreply 178April 9, 2019 4:10 PM

I enjoyed the second episode a lot more. Villanelle's little Basildon detour was delightful. I can't get over the things Jodie Comer does with her face...

Henry Lloyd-Hughes is very straight but I'd still lick every square centimetre of his gorgeous face. Gosh, he's handsome.

by Anonymousreply 179April 13, 2019 5:31 PM

I like that Eve is totally in denial about everything. She's a fucking trainwreck and I like that. I can hang with this if she is great at her job but messy about everything else.

by Anonymousreply 180April 13, 2019 8:00 PM

It sucks I have Hulu Live and I thought that BBC America/A&E was part of it but does not record Season 2 for my DVR. I guess I have to wait!

by Anonymousreply 181April 13, 2019 8:16 PM

How about AMC ?

by Anonymousreply 182April 13, 2019 11:28 PM

R179, where are you watching season 2? I still can't access the second episode on BBC America, AMC or other sites.

by Anonymousreply 183April 14, 2019 9:16 PM

I wish I could just binge-watch this show. How did V not sniff out Julian immediately?

by Anonymousreply 184April 15, 2019 3:25 AM

It says no login required

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185April 15, 2019 6:46 AM

I just watch it on iTunes

by Anonymousreply 186April 15, 2019 10:18 PM

Really enjoy this show. Binged season 1 like 2 week ago and have been watching season 2 real time on AMC. A few things here and there are a little "ya right-ish" but overall it's entertaining. All the actors are great and Sandra Oh is actually quite funny. British Prime time television really embarrasses US television.

by Anonymousreply 187April 15, 2019 10:26 PM

I feel like the one "straight DLer" was represented in the latest episode (2 for me) by the man who Villanelle runs into at the grocery store.

by Anonymousreply 188April 15, 2019 11:01 PM

Yes, R188, but I was getting some mixed signals with all those dolls he had. I thought doll collecting was a gay man's thing.

by Anonymousreply 189April 16, 2019 1:50 AM

This kind of goes back to last season, but did anyone notice that they had Eve come up with the nickname Villanelle for the female assassin she was chasing, before she knew that this was in fact her nickname? Pretty clumsy storytelling.

I was reminded of it when Eve explained how Villanelle prefers the nickname in this last episode.

by Anonymousreply 190April 16, 2019 1:56 AM

Of course the DL oldies love the young british guy who is 40 years their junior. LOL

Can't wait for next episode, and also, you can tell that the writing is different.

by Anonymousreply 191April 18, 2019 3:43 AM

[quote]Yes, [R188], but I was getting some mixed signals with all those dolls he had. I thought doll collecting was a gay man's thing.

Even though he liked pussy you still got mixed signals?

If he wanted COCK and had the dolls, gay. Wanted PUSSY and has a COCK while having the dolls: straight.

Being a fucking weirdo freak doesn't make him gay.

by Anonymousreply 192April 18, 2019 3:45 AM

R189 not to offend, re-read your comment and I was probably too forward, but prob with all of the tranny shit going on right now.

by Anonymousreply 193April 18, 2019 3:46 AM

I don't think the writing is as good.

by Anonymousreply 194April 18, 2019 3:46 AM

Agreed, the dialogue, while still much better than most TV shows, doesn't have the same snap it did in the first season. I put this down to Phoebe Waller-Bridge no longer writing the majority of the episodes and also no longer being showrunner, just executive producer. She has a certain style that's hard to replicate -- it's like when you're watching Kimmy Schmidt and you hear a line that only Tina Fey could have written. No doubt Waller-Bridge had a hand in the scripts, but that's not the same as writing them herself. (There was an echo of her style in Carolyn's little monologue in S2/01 about the swimming ponds and, I'm paraphrasing, how Daddy liked to hook up with men there as an added bonus.)

Still, even without W-B, I wouldn't miss an episode.

by Anonymousreply 195April 18, 2019 5:55 PM

Even more lesbians on tv. Like they don't have enough representation already?! LOOOL! Zzzzzzzz. Call me when they make a crime series about/featuring gay men.

by Anonymousreply 196April 18, 2019 5:58 PM

[quote]Even more lesbians on tv. Like they don't have enough representation already?! LOOOL! Zzzzzzzz. Call me when they make a crime series about/featuring gay men.

She's bisexual, you dipshit. There are way more gay men on tv than actual lesbians. Always have been.

by Anonymousreply 197April 18, 2019 6:01 PM

No way was that French kid in the hospital 12 years old (that’s the age they gave him in the online report Eve saw). He seemed at least 15 or 16.

by Anonymousreply 198April 22, 2019 3:30 AM

I love the casual inclusion of the pregnant black lady at MI6. We need to see more pregnant working women on TV where the pregnancy is never addressed. I just hope that was decaf she was drinking...

This episode got glowing reviews but I found Eve being completely oblivious to Villanelle standing right behind her too unbelievable. And of course, Jodie Comer with her facial expressions again - that look of anguish in the car at the end was just sublime.

by Anonymousreply 199April 22, 2019 10:36 AM

Thighs for days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200April 22, 2019 11:47 AM

[Quote]There are way more gay men on tv than actual lesbians. Always have been.

LOL. Are you serious? No, there really isn't. ALL tv shows have lesbians these days, gay male characters... not so much,

by Anonymousreply 201April 22, 2019 11:49 AM

Loved V. painting and glittering the macaroni. DIY glam in an assassin is perfection.

by Anonymousreply 202April 22, 2019 11:50 AM

Lots of trans, too, or "non-binary".

by Anonymousreply 203April 22, 2019 11:52 AM

r202 I had no idea why she was putting glitter on macaroni out of nowhere and then she emerged as an (arts) teacher and I cracked up.

by Anonymousreply 204April 22, 2019 11:52 AM

Me too, r204. I had her character for primary arts, I swear.

by Anonymousreply 205April 22, 2019 11:53 AM

I want an episode set at Christmas, with Villanelle serenading Konstantin with “Santa Baby” in sexy Santa costume. And then he finally fucks her in it.

by Anonymousreply 206April 22, 2019 1:01 PM

I love Sandra Oh but Jodie Comer is the MVP of this show, and she's the one who should be winning all the awards.

by Anonymousreply 207April 22, 2019 1:52 PM

Think again, R201. Of the regular and recurring "LGBTQ"characters on television in 2018, gay men made up 42% and lesbians made up 25%. The otherwise useless organization GLAAD publishes a report about it each year. Gay men have made up the vast majority of portrayed characters in ALL the years that they have published this report. This isn't news.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208April 22, 2019 2:17 PM

"Turn that shit off."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209April 22, 2019 4:34 PM

r208 It would be interesting to see if we watch (and support) each others' shows, i.e. how many lesbians watched Looking and how many gay guys watched The L Word. I doubt it would make for an encouraging picture. Of course, we usually end up blaming the straight people for not being interested enough in our stuff.

by Anonymousreply 210April 22, 2019 4:38 PM

Love the actress who plays Villanelle. Her and Fiona the bitchy boss. Eve's boring though.

by Anonymousreply 211April 22, 2019 6:00 PM

R211

If Eve was played by a more compelling actress it would really put this show into another stratosphere. But Sandra Oh overreacts and is just very unattractive.

by Anonymousreply 212April 22, 2019 6:04 PM

She's so ugly and we're supposed to think she's hot? WTF? Villanelle's not very pretty either but she's a damn good actress unlike Sandra.

by Anonymousreply 213April 22, 2019 8:12 PM

I'm going to miss that little hotel that apparently had no other guests apart from Villanelle. It looked so comfy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214April 22, 2019 8:37 PM

yes, I watch this show for the crazy killer, not Sandra Oh. She is fug and hurts my eyes, I look away when there is love scene. I hope there won't be any this season.

by Anonymousreply 215April 22, 2019 8:40 PM

well, she pushed her Greek husbear away. so that limits that part....

by Anonymousreply 216April 22, 2019 8:47 PM

I do like the fact that the women aren't botoxed like the American shows. They may be ugly but it's natural, sometimes the plastic surgery in the American shows are so distracting...

by Anonymousreply 217April 22, 2019 11:17 PM

r217 I was thinking the same while looking at Fiona Shaw's marvelously aged face in all its glory in the latest episode.

by Anonymousreply 218April 22, 2019 11:19 PM

Fiona Shaw is so good in this.

by Anonymousreply 219April 23, 2019 2:00 AM

"I have hobbies."

by Anonymousreply 220April 23, 2019 2:02 AM

[quote]well, she pushed her Greek husbear away. so that limits that part....

Polish.

by Anonymousreply 221April 23, 2019 2:36 AM

I hope you are also watching "A Discovery of Witches" with the dreamy Matthew Goode as a vampire. Amazing scenery in each episode.

by Anonymousreply 222April 23, 2019 2:46 AM

r222 Scenery is nice but that show falls apart spectacularly after the third episode or so. One of the worst things I've seen last year.

by Anonymousreply 223April 23, 2019 2:48 AM

lol - looked up 'Discovery of Witches' on IMDB, and someone tagged it with 'russophobia', or anti-Russian sentiment, as a plot word. Boris and Natasha are so sensitive.

by Anonymousreply 224April 23, 2019 3:02 AM

"Do you have cats?"

"I have a cat, yes."

"Maybe you should just get another one."

by Anonymousreply 225April 23, 2019 3:20 AM

r224 I literally can't recall a single anti-Russian thing on that show. Must be the lesbians that triggered those tags.

by Anonymousreply 226April 23, 2019 3:26 AM

Discovery of Witches is on Shudder,right ?

by Anonymousreply 227April 23, 2019 11:50 AM

*I meant the two lesbian witches on the show is what caused people to tag the show with anti-Russian sentiment, not that lesbian IMDb users fond of Russia did that. Why do I always notice these mistake when it's way too late?

Anyway, the lovely Alex Kingston is one half of that lesbian couple, rocking amazing hair but also a truly god-awful American accent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228April 23, 2019 11:51 AM

r227 I watched it (well, endured it) on Sky One when it originally aired but I found this bit of info:

[quote]It was announced by AMC Networks at the TCA Press tour that the show would be making its American television debut on April 7, 2019 on AMC and BBC America, being paired with Killing Eve's second season.

[quote]From January 2019, the series became available on AMC's subscription services Sundance Now, Shudder, and AMC Premiere.

by Anonymousreply 229April 23, 2019 11:54 AM

The "lovely Alex Kingston"? Are you blind. She's also ugly as shit in The Widow series on Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 230April 23, 2019 2:21 PM

She's a luminous legend to those of us who follow Doctor Who and you won't ever take that away from us, r230.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231April 23, 2019 2:30 PM

Also, Kate fucking Beckinsale looks ugly in The Widow. You try looking beautiful while wading through tiger crap in the jungle.

by Anonymousreply 232April 23, 2019 2:34 PM

R232 there are no tigers in the Congo.

by Anonymousreply 233April 23, 2019 4:58 PM

I was about to correct myself but trusted in the knowledge that there were no people like r233 on DL. I'm sad I was wrong.

by Anonymousreply 234April 23, 2019 5:13 PM

I cannot for the life of me figure out why the costume designer has Kenny in shorts and a polo shirt like it's summer when all the other characters are dressed for spring or fall (lightweight coats, scarves, etc.). I'm not complaining (he's adorable), just curious. Also what do we think Kenny was doing in the rest room that he didn't want Eve to hear?

by Anonymousreply 235April 23, 2019 5:31 PM

i assumed he was having a wank.

by Anonymousreply 236April 23, 2019 7:36 PM

R235, I live on the Upper East Side and I notice that the boys from private all-boys-schools wear shorts year round. One school in particular is notorious. If you see a boy in the thick of a snowstorm who’s wearing shorts and a tee, the shirt most likely has “BUCKLEY” emblazoned on it.

I think they think they’re modern-day Spartans.

by Anonymousreply 237April 23, 2019 7:42 PM

kenny is shy and didn't want eve to hear him doing poo. its an ongoing toilet humor since s1. also his dress code is to show his nerd boy immaturity or they are lazy and just letting the actor dress as himself.

by Anonymousreply 238April 23, 2019 9:34 PM

R236 : He was: "You weren't listening, were you?"

by Anonymousreply 239April 23, 2019 10:13 PM

And I will add to that. JERK OFF AT HOME!

by Anonymousreply 240April 23, 2019 10:13 PM

I like to think Kenny has a wank using mum’s pig placenta moisturizer.

by Anonymousreply 241April 23, 2019 11:15 PM

[bold]Chick Magnets on “Gentleman Jack” and “Killing Eve”[/bold]

[quote]In a world dumb enough to see women as helpless little girls, two series examine the masks they wear in public.

[quote]But it has sometimes occurred to me that “Killing Eve” is [italic]itself[/italic] getting away with murder. In the show, murder and lesbianism feel existentially linked, like two great tastes that taste great together. In the nineteen-nineties, that same premise got the Sharon Stone icepick-killer pulp blockbuster “Basic Instinct” picketed for homophobia; in 2019, female viewers are cheering on the same concept.

[quote]Maybe “Killing Eve” is different because it’s funnier. Maybe it’s because it’s made by women—or because murderous rage seems, right now, like a relevant basis for female bonding. But what really makes the show click is the performances.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242April 24, 2019 1:34 AM

Jodi was robbed of any awards last year. She and Fiona are so delightful. Sandra is too earnest.

by Anonymousreply 243April 24, 2019 2:21 AM

Sandra Oh's issue on the show, to me, is that there isn't nearly enough subtlety and texture to her performance, especially when you compare it to that of Jodie Comer - in fact, she was embarrassingly broad and OTT at times in the first season, and I couldn't believe that her director, SOMEBODY didn't tell her to dial it down. It was cringe.

She has given better performances elsewhere. She has her moments on this show but overall I get a sense that she's not fully in command of her performance, not confident and steady in it the way Comer is in hers.

by Anonymousreply 244April 24, 2019 3:43 AM

Kenny is very, very sexy. So is the new guy who sits with his legs open all the time.

by Anonymousreply 245April 24, 2019 4:42 AM

I'm wondering if they'll give Hugo (the new guy) anything to actually do or if he's just a hat tip to the Cambridge Spies of yore.

by Anonymousreply 246April 24, 2019 5:50 PM

Hugo is such a sleaze and Kenny is boring. They should've made one of them gay.

by Anonymousreply 247April 24, 2019 5:52 PM

I watched this a week or two ago and it was like a buddy movie. Some Russian woman was holding guns to people and making wisecracks. There was a horrendously fugly girl who had to be related to someone on the show because there's no other way she gets on tv. It was repetitive. Like, "I need to chase this person and in every episode she gets away."

by Anonymousreply 248April 24, 2019 6:00 PM

Eve would have to be a lesbian to have no interest in fucking her hot Polish husband who undoubtedly has a big horse cock.

by Anonymousreply 249April 24, 2019 6:11 PM

Even equine-like cock can get boring after a while...

It's amazing to me how much hotter Owen McDonnell is with a stache/beard than when he's clean-shaven.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250April 24, 2019 6:16 PM

Owen in ecstasy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251April 24, 2019 6:16 PM

r248 at least you gave it a good try /S

by Anonymousreply 252April 24, 2019 6:29 PM

It would take me a long, long time to get bored with equine-quality cock.

by Anonymousreply 253April 25, 2019 10:29 PM

I can't believe that young dude was gonna kiss Eve! PUKE!!!

by Anonymousreply 254April 29, 2019 3:39 AM

psycho killer is losing her mind.

by Anonymousreply 255April 29, 2019 3:50 AM

I enjoyed this episode the most so far. And I cracked up when "Angel in the Morning" started playing in Dutch at the end.

by Anonymousreply 256April 29, 2019 7:13 PM

That episode seemed like it was 15 minutes long with 45 minutes of commercials. WTF?

by Anonymousreply 257April 29, 2019 8:37 PM

actually about 20 minutes of ads....

by Anonymousreply 258April 30, 2019 2:24 AM

i hate it when they tease you with 2 seconds of show and then say, we'll be back in 60 seconds. so fucking annoying.

by Anonymousreply 259April 30, 2019 6:53 AM

i wish one of the hot guys was gay

by Anonymousreply 260April 30, 2019 8:08 AM

I agree that this episode was much better than the last, which was a right mess. I think it's because they really delved into the psyches/mindset of the two women.

by Anonymousreply 261April 30, 2019 12:28 PM

This show is overrated and pretty stupid. It tries way to hard to be "edgy"

by Anonymousreply 262April 30, 2019 1:03 PM

After binge-watching the first season in one day, what R243 said. Comer is brilliant, Oh pales in comparison. Fiona Shaw and Kim Bodnia both joys to watch. Don't know if I'll give Season 2 a go, as I understand it's not as compelling as Season 1.

by Anonymousreply 263April 30, 2019 1:15 PM

season 2 is more of season 1. if you liked 1, you'll like 2

by Anonymousreply 264April 30, 2019 2:21 PM

Apparently Fiona Shaw is in a long-term relationship with a female academic, Sonali Deraniyagala. Sonali has previously been in the media after writing a book about losing her sons, husband and parents in the Tsunami in 2004 in Thailand (which is horrific beyond anything I could imagine).

I had no idea before reading that that Fiona was a lesbian. Also, she played a similar MI5 agent-handler in another BBC drama called Mrs Wilson.

by Anonymousreply 265April 30, 2019 4:17 PM

r265, she was in a very long relationship with Saffron Burrows.

by Anonymousreply 266April 30, 2019 4:19 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267April 30, 2019 4:21 PM

Saffron Burrows, for reference.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268April 30, 2019 4:23 PM

Loving "A Discovery of Witches." Whoever said that it wasn't good after episode 3 was lying. Some of the most beautiful scenery and cinematography I've ever seen for a TV series.

by Anonymousreply 269April 30, 2019 7:31 PM

Fiona Shaw is an odd one. I agree she's a great actress but she simply cannot do an English accent. She's basically the only Irish actor or actress unable to do it.

by Anonymousreply 270April 30, 2019 7:35 PM

You couldn't have found a picture of Saffron Burrows which isn't grotesquely photoshopped, R268?

by Anonymousreply 271April 30, 2019 8:39 PM

I like Kim Bodnia but bringing his character to the UK seemed a bit heavy handed. At the very least they could have explained it a bit more. Is he now being chased by the Russian government because he was working for a secret organisation on the side? Did he give up any information about the 12 at all to secure witness protection?

I'm guessing the identity of the 12 will be this thing which never gets resolved.

by Anonymousreply 272April 30, 2019 8:44 PM

[quote]Whoever said that it wasn't good after episode 3 was lying.

r298 I wasn't lying - the show is absolute garbage writing-wise; characters and their motivations like something you'd see on network TV 15 or 20 years ago. Like I said, the locations are stunning, but that has little to do with the writing.

by Anonymousreply 273April 30, 2019 8:55 PM

r271 Actually, Saffron, I was looking for the most lesbian photo of you possible and stumbled on that one and thought it was too good to pass on.

by Anonymousreply 274April 30, 2019 8:56 PM

For all the lesbians on this thread I suggest you go over to the Killing Eve sub at reddit. I think you will find more compatriots there with which to discuss the lesbianing happening on this show.

by Anonymousreply 275May 2, 2019 4:14 AM

I loved S1, and am watching S2, but I have to admit I don't pay attention as much because the tone isn't as catchy. I'm not even really sure what's going on this season. But I'm still watching.

by Anonymousreply 276May 2, 2019 1:20 PM

The change in tone is, I'm guessing, down to Phoebe Waller-Bridge no longer being the KE showrunner. She has a certain style that the current writers can't quite replicate. If there's a third season I hope PW-B is back at the helm (although I believe she's been called in to doctor the screenplay of the next Bond movie).

by Anonymousreply 277May 2, 2019 8:45 PM

Found this analysis on Eve and Villanelle's season 2 episode 5 meet up interesting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278May 5, 2019 5:54 PM

r278 That reunion was quite something. I still don't know what exactly they want from each other. Next week's episode looks to be the most exciting so far.

by Anonymousreply 279May 5, 2019 6:14 PM

The actresses claim that they aren't sure either. I wish someone would just say it. They want to fuck each other. Is that so difficult?

It's cute that everyone is pretending that sexual chemistry isn't a force strong enough to pull two people together even though it doesn't make sense otherwise.

I know I've fucked some people I can't stand as human beings because the chemistry was so incredible. Wish we'd all grow up so that we could have grown up discussions.

by Anonymousreply 280May 5, 2019 6:20 PM

I don't see how they can do a 3rd season. The story is played out at this point. The last episode seemed like a jump the shark moment with the Amsterdam brothel killing.

by Anonymousreply 281May 5, 2019 8:52 PM

R277, they have a new showrunner coming in to replace Emerald Fennell next season, someone who used to work on Fear The Walking Dead, which doesn't seem promising. I don't think Waller-Bridge will be returning as a writer again and I wouldn't be surprised if she bails from being an EP either. I don't get the impression that she has any real involvement anymore. How on earth they let her get away after the first season is a mystery - they should have offered her the moon, because you can really feel her absence in the current season.

by Anonymousreply 282May 6, 2019 3:49 PM

r282 She said she was drained creatively by the end of the first season so I doubt more money would have helped. She seems better suited to limited one-season-and-done series.

by Anonymousreply 283May 6, 2019 3:52 PM

Sometimes I can't really make out whose direction sandra's oh squinty eyes are pointing to. And I am south asian so i really wish i could get past the inherent racism in that and just be able to tell who or what she is actually supposed to be looking at. She needs range in her facial movements too not just acting.

by Anonymousreply 284May 6, 2019 4:04 PM

Wow. I love Sandra Oh, think she's beautiful and a wonderful actress. Can't believe the comments here.

by Anonymousreply 285May 6, 2019 7:53 PM

I can't stand Comer's face either. I don't think it's her resemblance to Ivanka (although that doesn't help). She has that prissy look I hate. Is it irrational? It feels uttery rational.

I don't love Oh.

I love PWB so I gave the series a shot but gave up. I just don't love the writing and I don't care about the characters.

by Anonymousreply 286May 6, 2019 7:57 PM

R285, this is not tumblr or twitter or lchat. People are more honest here. Your feelings are better protected in those other places.

by Anonymousreply 287May 6, 2019 9:42 PM

I think it's still holding up BUT if you aren't intrigued by the main characters game of psychological warfare and sexual attraction with each other, you won't like it.

I think both actresses are doing an incredible job and I love watching all the actors playing off each other. Great cast.

I have no problem with Sandra's point of focus, perfectly clear to me.

by Anonymousreply 288May 6, 2019 9:42 PM

It's very evident when a thread turns into a lesbian fandom thread instead of datalounge regulars taking part in the discussion.

by Anonymousreply 289May 6, 2019 9:50 PM

Is it? I'm no lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 290May 6, 2019 9:57 PM

Why would you say that? There are plenty of us on the Gentleman Jack thread who are regulars too.

Some of us appreciate gay content no matter who the focus is on if it is entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 291May 6, 2019 9:59 PM

Lesbians can't be DL regulars?

by Anonymousreply 292May 6, 2019 10:01 PM

Yes they can 292.

Please accept my apology on behalf of my hateful DL "brothers".

by Anonymousreply 293May 6, 2019 10:03 PM

Sandra's face is just too distracting for me.

by Anonymousreply 294May 6, 2019 10:15 PM

Scroll down to Sneak Peek of ep06.

Two minutes of next episode with Eve and Niko.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295May 6, 2019 10:30 PM

"can i take your veil?"

made me lol

by Anonymousreply 296May 6, 2019 11:36 PM

They could have done a lot more with The Ghost.

by Anonymousreply 297May 6, 2019 11:38 PM

I want Nico to dump Eve and fuck me. He would definitely not lack for appreciation.

by Anonymousreply 298May 7, 2019 3:05 AM

You mean like sexually 297?

by Anonymousreply 299May 7, 2019 1:58 PM

Late as possible to the party. Watched the first 3 due to a friend's nagging, BAFTA fuss, and the US splash.

Don't like the mixed tone: both deadly serious and sassy ditzy fun isn't a good mix. It's often overwritten till disbelief can't be suspended. Many of the incidents also prompt a fatal 'Come off it.'

Nice locations obviously, no expense spared. The whole show reminds me of a glossy campy espionage romp from the 60s. (With post-modern add-ons.) Fun maybe for a two-hour feature film, unrewarding for a box-set.

Fiona Shaw steals every scene, and is riveting. She and a few other touches hint at how good KE could have been stripped of gloss and romcom dialogue. Overrated.

by Anonymousreply 300May 7, 2019 3:38 PM

its good that "critics" like you can keep us plebeian viewers like us in our place! ^

by Anonymousreply 301May 7, 2019 5:07 PM

I’m so tired of “ing” titles. I think it all started with Raising Arizona.

by Anonymousreply 302May 7, 2019 6:03 PM

finally a realistic critic! ^ /s

by Anonymousreply 303May 7, 2019 6:09 PM

Yeah ditch the ing.

Can't someone get some other gerunds or past participles or some other fucking part of speech going in our titles for gods sake!

by Anonymousreply 304May 7, 2019 6:16 PM

I'm so glad someone has finally had the bravery to speak out about this cavalcade of -ing titles that have been relentless since 1987.

by Anonymousreply 305May 7, 2019 6:18 PM

NOW YOU'RE TALK-ING!

by Anonymousreply 306May 7, 2019 7:31 PM

"Regard-ing Henry," while one of the worst movie titles ever, doesn't count!

by Anonymousreply 307May 7, 2019 7:52 PM

They'd better not write off or, worse, kill off Kenny!

by Anonymousreply 308May 7, 2019 10:25 PM

This made me LOL. Thanks, R295

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 309May 8, 2019 8:17 AM

I missed a plot point: How did MI6 contact Konstantin to have Villanelle kill Eve? Did Hugo just get his number from Carolyn and send over a terrible photo of Eve?

by Anonymousreply 310May 8, 2019 6:02 PM

Clearly Eve has to clear things with Carolyn. Carolyn contacted Konstantin.

by Anonymousreply 311May 12, 2019 12:36 AM

Saw episode 6 (the show has been leaking early the last couple of weeks). Honestly, if they don't step it up very soon, this season is going to be a wash, save for a handful of moments. Jodie Comer is great as always, but the writing is just not what it was in the first season.

by Anonymousreply 312May 12, 2019 5:20 PM

Fiona Shaw, winner of the Supporting Actress award, Phoebe Waller-Bridge, winner of the award for Drama Series, and Jodie Comer, winner of the Best Leading Actress award, all for Killing Eve.

r312 Very much agreed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313May 13, 2019 12:56 AM

They are releasing all the episodes at once when it comes out in the UK and that is the way to watch it, waiting a week doesn't work with this show. Waller- Bridge is still involved and nothing has been done without her approval according to her.

by Anonymousreply 314May 14, 2019 2:03 PM

Yeah, we know Waller-Bridge is still an executive producer. But her absence as a writer is most definitely felt. The show is simply not as good as it was in the first season, and it all comes down to the writing.

by Anonymousreply 315May 14, 2019 3:13 PM

I'd love to do it missionary style with Nico.

by Anonymousreply 316May 14, 2019 3:14 PM

[quote]Waller- Bridge is still involved and nothing has been done without her approval according to her.

Well, that is the professional thing to say for an exec producer. Also, the alternative to that would be for her to reject some of the writing decisions and rewrite the scripts herself, which she is expressly not interested in anymore.

by Anonymousreply 317May 14, 2019 3:22 PM

It seems like PWB handed over the reigns for two reasons.

One, being that she was contracted to do a second season of "Fleabag". This is probably the main reason. Now Phoebe is on Broadway doing Fleabag the one woman show, I think it started as a play. She is also contracted to write the next James Bond screenplay. So she's busy and like our wonderful friend and actress Constance Wu, Phebes didn't want Killing Eve getting in the way of more opportunities.

Two, that handing over the showrunner spot gives other women the opportunity and right now TV and movies are into expanding the voices that get to tell stories.

I'm still enjoying Killing Eve but I'm inching toward getting sick of some of the shit they fall back on to make it cute/funny/interesting. Time to step it up a notch. Also I think this show suffers from too few episodes, time could easily be spent fleshing out all the featured characters thereby giving us a break from the contrived shit that is getting tiresome. To make what they have set up really excellent they needed more time for the story.

by Anonymousreply 318May 14, 2019 3:41 PM

Loved it first season, bored this time around.

by Anonymousreply 319May 14, 2019 3:42 PM

Also Jodie Comer had been cast in Kenneth Branagh's remake of Death On The Nile but she had to pull out of the project because of scheduling conflicts, it happens folks.

Connie Wu's pain IS real but she should have kept her big yap shut about it.

by Anonymousreply 320May 14, 2019 3:45 PM

I love Phoebe Waller-Bridge's work and wish her a long and successful career writing (and performing) whatever she cares to, but I do miss her voice in Killing Eve S2. I heard that voice in Carolyn's little rant on breakfast in this week's episode: "It's all eggs. I mean, who decided?" The actors are saving S2, as the plot is wobbling on the rails. I say, give it a third and final season and beg Waller-Bridge for more script input.

I read somewhere (probably on the Internet, so it MUST be true) that Waller-Bridge doesn't like doing multiple seasons of shows, that she prefers one-and-done. Nothing wrong with that, but they must have paid her a fortune to revisit Fleabag (which I can't wait to see here in the US). I wish someone would pony up the money for her to do a second season of her Crashing, although I have no idea how to keep the characters together after the first season. So I guess I'll just watch it again. Some more.

by Anonymousreply 321May 14, 2019 6:31 PM

PWB said in podcast that the network doesn't want to do second season of crashing. . Fleabag s2 happened 3 years after the 1st season because she said she got an idea for it while working on KE. BBCA has no other programming so it will linger around for 4/5 seasons, even in it's weakened state, ala orphan black. The producers want to milk it as much they can. Pity.

by Anonymousreply 322May 14, 2019 6:41 PM

Thanks, R322 -- the Orphan Black analogy is a good one; another show that should have ended after three seasons (although Tatiana Maslany was fantastic all the way through; the plotlines not so much).

by Anonymousreply 323May 14, 2019 6:54 PM

This season started off strong, but the last 3 episodes have been boring and weak. Villaneve has become too campy and the show has lost its edge. It feels like Ryan Murphy is writing this season with the way it's falling apart.

by Anonymousreply 324May 14, 2019 7:52 PM

Actually i'd take ay style with Nico R316.

I would take no styles with Niko from Charmed though. She's a beautiful girl , but such a wooden actress.

by Anonymousreply 325May 14, 2019 9:50 PM

OMG Niko not doing well this week. and Aaron may be crazier that V... or Eve for that matter.

by Anonymousreply 326May 20, 2019 2:50 AM

I had to fast-forward through some of this episode. This season is not good.

Meanwhile, A Discovery of Witches gets better and better with each episode. This show is superior to Killing Eve right now. I hope you all are watching it.

by Anonymousreply 327May 20, 2019 3:24 AM

It seems like every episode only actually lasts 20 minutes with 40 minutes of fucking commercials.

by Anonymousreply 328May 20, 2019 5:07 AM

I think they hyped this season way too much. I can't imagine new viewers who gave it a try are blown away. It's flailing.

by Anonymousreply 329May 20, 2019 7:28 AM

Meanwhile season 2 of Fleabag blew me away. I rewatched season 1 just as good as the first time I watched it. Classic. TV.

by Anonymousreply 330May 20, 2019 7:51 AM

OT ask - what's a showrunner for those of us with no television background?

You all keep saying PWB is no longer the show runner but an executive producer. So what's the difference?

by Anonymousreply 331May 20, 2019 8:18 AM

Killing Eve has gotten ridiculous now. Employing a crazy serial murderer who killed your best friend/co-worker last year as part of the MI-6? And she continues to kill without getting caught or put in jail?

What's even crazier is everyone seems smitten with Eve or Sandra Oh and telling her how attractive she is. The writers need to get their vision checked.

by Anonymousreply 332May 20, 2019 8:20 AM

I don’t think PWB was ever the showrunner. And she’s one of several writers on this show but happy to take all the credit. I don’t think she even contributed to Season 2. Plus the whole thing is an adaptation of a book.

by Anonymousreply 333May 20, 2019 8:53 AM

R331, a showrunner is 'the person who has overall creative authority and management responsibility for a television program'. They are involved with writing and production and are frequently credited as the 'creator' of a show as well. And yes, PWB was the showrunner for season one. Emerald Fennell took over for her this season, and next season it will be someone else.

The show is based a series of novellas (which is still ongoing) but having read them, the show feels really different. The books don't have the wit or the bite of the show, none of the tone that makes the show special - a much more conventional spy story kind of thing. The general set-up is similar but much more bland, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 334May 20, 2019 9:13 AM

Sandra oh creeps me out, she gives me the willys, dat face!

by Anonymousreply 335May 20, 2019 9:56 AM

Yeah, are they blind? Sandra Oh's ugly.

by Anonymousreply 336May 20, 2019 2:30 PM

SPOILERS

So Aaron knows everything there was to know about the Russian guy, but can't see through the flimsy smoke screen MI-6 came up with for the Billie character? He would instantly have realized that her lack of background indicated she had a false identity.

So Villeneuve beat Nico into unconsciousness and then killed Gemma and then let Nico live? Sloppy as well as ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 337May 20, 2019 2:57 PM

r337, because Nico still loved Eve. In Villanelle's twisted logic, she's saving someone for Eve and eliminating the competition.

by Anonymousreply 338May 20, 2019 4:51 PM

Really 337? If Aaron looked me up on the interwebs he wouldn't find much about me either. I don't do online banking, I don't write many emails. My texts contain mostly work stuff and the personal stuff has nothing controversial about it. It is possible to not leave much digital footprint. People are so stupid though and just use credit cards for everything and crave the attention that social media brings.

Now for her age I'll admit it's unusual but there are many millennials who are modest users when it comes to social media.

by Anonymousreply 339May 20, 2019 5:05 PM

Thanks, r334.

I watched season one on Hulu and was waiting for season two to drop but if it is sloppy, then won't bother.

by Anonymousreply 340May 20, 2019 5:09 PM

r339, remember when that girl in Amsterdam wanted to take Villanelle's pic for her IG? Villanelle said no and get a life, so she doesn't have a lot of social prescence.

by Anonymousreply 341May 20, 2019 5:12 PM

340 it depends if you like the characters or not. If you are interested in where Eve and Villanelle's characters will go after that finale, which was epic, then watch season two. If your feeling was meh, nice but not really that exciting, then skip season two.

The people who are still enjoying the show are those who are loving watching character unfold with a little spy intrigue thrown in. If you aren't into character arcs, don't bother.

by Anonymousreply 342May 20, 2019 5:17 PM

R337, Aaron does suspect villanelle but he has her own agenda for villanelle, which will be more clear in finale.

Villanelle knows that Eve wouldn't forgive her killing niko so she went with the next best option, which is killing his sidepiece to scare niko far far away from eve's life.

This season is mediocre but once it started telling its own story from episode 4 onwards its an okay to good character study. The show was always interested in character analyses more than plot anyways. Eve is a psychopath like Villanelle, and the plot this season (as poor as it was) is to get Eve to a place where she can fully accept her psychopathy. Even with its flaws, and there are many, s2 is rich in character study.

by Anonymousreply 343May 20, 2019 9:35 PM

Good points, r343

by Anonymousreply 344May 20, 2019 10:04 PM

So is this worth watching or junk?

by Anonymousreply 345May 20, 2019 10:09 PM

S1 is a fun, heady, binge watch. If you didn't like the characters by the end, skip s2.

by Anonymousreply 346May 20, 2019 10:15 PM

I wanted to like this but Sandra Oh is too off-putting.

by Anonymousreply 347May 20, 2019 10:20 PM

this Sunday BBC America is running a back to back 2nd season.... to catch up until the last ep airs that night.

by Anonymousreply 348May 20, 2019 10:54 PM

R342, I did enjoy the character development in season one. It was intense.

I'll give season two a try once it shows up on Hulu. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 349May 20, 2019 11:04 PM

Honestly, unless the finale is mind-blowing, I don't think I'm going to watch season 3. There's just nowhere left to go with the story or characters.

by Anonymousreply 350May 21, 2019 2:46 AM

The finale is interesting. I am interested where they take it after that ending. Season 3 should be the last though. I enjoy the characters and the character study but one more season and I'm done. If there were more episodes in a season they could make the stories more compelling. As it is, they don't have enough time to tell a spy story and create the believable arcs for the characters.

I think about Breaking Bad and this show could have that kind of great storytelling on multiple levels but they just don't have the time.

by Anonymousreply 351May 25, 2019 4:14 PM

So I watched the finale and then went looking for reactions...and found that there are a LOT of pissed off viewers of this show right now. Lots of accusations of queerbaiting, since the people on the production side of things have been giving interviews left and right saying this is the end of Eve and Villanelle's attraction - it's not going any further, and the lesbians feel betrayed. It reminds me of the backlash when The Killing promoted itself as doing one case per season, giving the distinct impression that by the season finale, the case would be solved - and then it wasn't. The audience turned on that show like a viper and although it limped along for a while longer, it never recovered. Dropping the will they or won't they angle from this show could have the same effect.

Variety trashed the finale, saying that basically it spun its wheels all season and fell apart without Phoebe Waller-Bridge. I have to say I agree - while it had its moments, it didn't have the same sharpness or propulsive energy of the first season. I love character development, but the plot momentum dragged and things just got more convoluted. Maybe they can make a comeback next season...

by Anonymousreply 352May 27, 2019 9:09 AM

r352 Agreed. I'd have to struggle to tell you what the second season was even about, it was so convoluted. Perhaps the first season was a bit vague as well, but PWB's sharp dialogue compensated for that.

[quote]and the lesbians feel betrayed

That was inevitable. They they totally fell for this show, and rightfully so after that amazing fist season. I feel bad for them. Imagine Eve and Villanelle being two guys? DL would be on a warpath right about now.

by Anonymousreply 353May 27, 2019 10:59 AM

I avoid anything with the Asian ish lady, I find her acting fake and weird.....

by Anonymousreply 354May 27, 2019 11:19 AM

Has anyone seen the movie Atomic Blonde? Is it something like this show? Would you recommend it?

by Anonymousreply 355May 27, 2019 11:22 AM

r355 It's a fun movie! Not really as dialogue-oriented as this show but it features amazing action scenes.

by Anonymousreply 356May 27, 2019 11:26 AM

At times on Killing Eve Killing Eve she is not easy to look at. I haven't had that problem when she has done other thingI just watched this year's finale. What happened to the cute son of the big boss?

by Anonymousreply 357May 27, 2019 11:31 AM

He... didn't really have much to do this season. Just sort of moped about like a teenager. His character is just not fleshed out enough.

by Anonymousreply 358May 27, 2019 11:35 AM

[quote]They they totally fell for this show, and rightfully so after that amazing fist season. I feel bad for them. Imagine Eve and Villanelle being two guys? DL would be on a warpath right about

I feel badly for them too. I wonder if the producers really understand how starved lesbians are for depictions of relationships that don't pander to straight males, and how important it is to them when they find one.

I really thought there was a good chance that Eve was going to take off with Villanelle and give in to her and her dark side, for a while at least. To have them pull back from what they've been teasing at this point - apparently for good - feels meh. They shouldn't drag this out more than another season.

by Anonymousreply 359May 27, 2019 3:11 PM

I'm wondering if the decision to separate the two characters rests in Sandra Oh. Just like with her character on Grey's, Sandra gets to give input about story and her character for Killing Eve. I remember there were fans of Grey's who hated some of the character choices for Christina Yang, Oh's character. IThey took Christina from this strong, confident person and turned her into a mess. Sandra has talked about how Shonda allowed her to shape her character. Sounds like the same thing is happening here.

Sandra is no writer and I'm not interested in watching while the writers fulfill her thespian wish list for Eve.

Here is the first of two interviews that have me confused about the storyline set up in the show and the character Eve. I feel like I watched something totally different they what they are talking about.

First an interview with Sandra.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 360May 27, 2019 5:48 PM

Second an interview with the show runner Emerald Fennell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 361May 27, 2019 5:49 PM

So is Nico just supposed to languish in the storage locker forever? Like nobody ever comes and goes from that facility?

by Anonymousreply 362May 27, 2019 7:24 PM

What the hell kind of outfit is she wearing in. R360?

by Anonymousreply 363May 27, 2019 7:53 PM

if yoiu'd watched the series, you'd know ^

by Anonymousreply 364May 27, 2019 10:22 PM

Hugo and the other one are such underdeveloped characters.

by Anonymousreply 365May 28, 2019 9:47 AM

Who wants tea? PWB wanted to do S2 of Killing Eve, but only if they delayed it by a year or so. BBC America declined. She quit and chose her replacements. She likes to take breaks to unwind and revitalize. She works hard on her shows. She's a control freak, so she's involved in every aspect.

by Anonymousreply 366May 28, 2019 9:53 AM

Just watched the finale. Like so many others wrote, this season was meh, and it left me wondering too many questions. Can anyone answer these two - SPOILERS: 1) Is Carolyn a part of the 12? 2) If MI6 wanted Peele dead, why didn't they just have Villanelle or some other killer kill him versus send Villanelle into the lair, explicitly tell her NOT to kill him and then she kills him and that's what they wanted all along?

by Anonymousreply 367May 28, 2019 12:23 PM

R366 Sounds like fanfic and what many pwb fans have been saying on twitter. In every interview, she sounds like she has no clue what's going on with s2 and how she is only going to watch it as an audience member. She also said she started writing ideas for fleabag s2 when latter half of killing eve was still being filmed. To me it sounds like she had mentally checked out a long time ago.

by Anonymousreply 368May 28, 2019 1:06 PM

No Carolyn is not part of the 12. Why people think this I have no idea.

Because government agencies are not supposed to order assassinations. By setting things up the way she did, Carolyn can honestly tell her superiors that she explicitly stated that Peele was not to be killed. What is she to do if her agents, or their assets, go all off script? It's not her fault.

by Anonymousreply 369May 28, 2019 2:11 PM

Thanks, r369! I thought she was part of the 12 because I thought Constantine was part of the 12 and Villanelle worked for the 12. When Carolyn and Connie's connection was revealed, just assumed she was in on it.

Another SPOILER for anyone who might be reading. When Carolyn gave Constantine the envelope, that was the whereabouts of his family?

by Anonymousreply 370May 28, 2019 4:19 PM

Most probably, r370.

by Anonymousreply 371May 28, 2019 4:21 PM

Konstantin does not know who the 12 are he just receives kill orders from them to dispatch Villanelle on the kills. Carolyn is firmly MI6 but as we all should know by now intelligence often uses "unorthodox" means to achieve their aims.

Eve had given Konstantin the information about his family in a previous episode. Remember when Eve had MI6 storm the hotel Villanelle was staying in? Eve found out where V was staying from Konstantin in exchange for the information on where his family was in witness protection. Then Konnie turned around and burned Eve by helping Villanelle escape and reteaming up with her to do assassinations.

I have no idea what was in the envelope unless it was a new passport with a new identity for Konstantin and maybe some money.

by Anonymousreply 372May 28, 2019 4:47 PM

Good thought, r372.

Or maybe Carolyn had thoughtfully printed out some sex pics the two of them had taken together.

by Anonymousreply 373May 28, 2019 5:27 PM

I'm glad to hear PWB didn't cave and whip out another season prematurely. She put all that energy and brains into Fleabag, the infinitely better series, the one that people will remember in 5, 10, 15 years.

by Anonymousreply 374May 28, 2019 7:28 PM

KIilling S1 was as good as fleabag. It should have been a one-off series.

by Anonymousreply 375May 28, 2019 8:56 PM

There was so much hype about Killing Eve and Sandra Oh. SO got all these awards, the Emmy, etc. The same thing happened with Mr. Robot-- brilliant first season, lackluster second season,, forgotten show and now cancelled.

I can't see where the story could go. This would have been good as a mini-series that ends with Season 1.

by Anonymousreply 376May 28, 2019 11:46 PM

Maybe now y'all will stop being so hard on Ryan Murphy going forward. It's hard to maintain quality and momentum when a show becomes hyped up.

by Anonymousreply 377May 29, 2019 12:05 AM

Is this show cartoonish like "Luther"?

by Anonymousreply 378May 29, 2019 2:36 AM

mr robot is not cancelled. he 3rd season starts later this year or next.

by Anonymousreply 379May 29, 2019 2:47 AM

see, Mr. Robot season 3 already aired and you didn't even know about it. Season 4 will air later this year but it was already announced that it will be its final season. So, yeah,, cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 380May 29, 2019 3:07 AM

Anyone want to speculate on season 3 of Killing Eve? Any way you think they can move ahead and still have a captivating story with Eve and Villanelle together or separately?

by Anonymousreply 381May 29, 2019 5:00 AM

[quote]Is this show cartoonish like "Luther"?

If you think LUTHER is cartoonish, you will roll your eyes at this nonsense. LUTHER is gripping and engrossing compared to this garbage. What's with all these horrible series getting major hype? The British woman is only in her 20s? She looks about 40!

I tried to watch a few episodes On Demand, I couldn't get past about three of them. I tried watching again this past weekend, every 5 minutes, BBC America kept cutting into a commercial.

by Anonymousreply 382May 29, 2019 5:19 AM

[quote]Anyone want to speculate on season 3 of Killing Eve? Any way you think they can move ahead and still have a captivating story with Eve and Villanelle together or separately?

The pistol V shot Eve with came from Konstantin in the glove compartment of the convertible provided by Carolyn/MI6, so it was loaded with blanks. Eve lives and continues to pursue V for another 8-10 episodes but this time Eve is the psychokiller and V just wants a normal life in a house with a regular kitchen and plenty of closet space.

by Anonymousreply 383May 29, 2019 7:55 AM

R382 Luther is just as cartoonish as Killing Eve. The villains in Luther are straight up cardboard cutouts.

by Anonymousreply 384May 29, 2019 8:44 AM

The one thing I feel certain about for season 3 is that they're going to drag in some member of V's family - they foreshadowed it pretty strongly with her conversation with Konstantin.

What they'll do without the 'will they or won't they' of Eve and V is anyone's guess, though. Without that possibility the show will have to lean on its spy underpinnings more, but that's never been its strength and got more convoluted and snoozey with the second season. Nobody cares about Eve getting back together with her husband or finding someone new. Eve viewing V as more of a pure adversary isn't that interesting either.

They've got their work cut out for them.

by Anonymousreply 385May 29, 2019 8:56 AM

A Discovery of Witches turned out to be the better show. Witches got better reviews(100% on Rotten Tomatoes) and better ratings. It just got renewed for two more seasons.

by Anonymousreply 386May 29, 2019 4:24 PM

Is Fleabag worth watching or is all "I'm a wild third wave anal sex, piss, drunk person" etc etc

by Anonymousreply 387May 29, 2019 9:36 PM

I thought Fleabag was tiresome and not nearly as racy and cool as it thinks it is. Watched three eps and then done,

by Anonymousreply 388May 29, 2019 9:57 PM

What happened to Nico?

by Anonymousreply 389May 29, 2019 10:55 PM

I want to take care of Hugo.

by Anonymousreply 390May 29, 2019 11:02 PM

Well Season 3 should end up with either V and E killing each other, or some kind of Mexican standoff with V, E + Constantin, then crawling into each other's arms to die.

by Anonymousreply 391May 30, 2019 9:18 AM

At the end I'd like to see Villanelle have the drop on Eve and instead of killing her finally planting a nice big kiss on her, after which Eve promises to always come for (pursue) her (pun intended). Villanelle gives some great very Villanelle response to that and gets away. So in that universe they are forever circling each other like planets in the heavens.

But I could see them going out like Butch and Sundance or Thelma And Louise.

by Anonymousreply 392May 30, 2019 2:24 PM

After seeing Flea Bag, I think that Killing Eve should not have continued without its original writer/show runner.

by Anonymousreply 393June 1, 2019 2:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!