Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"CounterPart" on Starz

New series premiers tonight.

Parallel worlds.

Half an hour in, a scene in a Berlin gay bar. The main actor played a central character in HBO's "Oz".

Anyone watching?

by Anonymousreply 38December 29, 2018 2:54 PM

It was kind of awesome.

J.K. Simmons should get an Emmy just from one episode.

by Anonymousreply 1January 22, 2018 12:57 AM

Will the gay bar be featured again?

by Anonymousreply 2January 24, 2018 12:26 AM

[quote]The main actor played a central character in HBO's "Oz".

You mean Oscar winner J K Simmons?

by Anonymousreply 3January 24, 2018 12:51 AM

I mean the newspaper editor that treated Peter Parker like shit!

by Anonymousreply 4January 24, 2018 1:00 AM

Man... otherside Howard is a total bad-ass compared to ourside's milquetoast Howard!

by Anonymousreply 5January 29, 2018 12:07 AM

So apparently nobody on here is watching this show.

Fair enough I guess.

by Anonymousreply 6January 29, 2018 2:17 PM

Just finished watching the first 2 episodes. I am really liking the show and the slow burn/reveal of what is going on

by Anonymousreply 7January 29, 2018 2:18 PM

I want to watch because I'll watch Harry Llyod in anything, but I'm waiting for all of the episodes to air first so I can binge them all in one 1-week free Starz trial.

by Anonymousreply 8January 29, 2018 2:43 PM

It's a slow burn, but it's so well done.

by Anonymousreply 9February 5, 2018 12:02 AM

I like Jk but I think this series would be better if it started someone um handsome.

by Anonymousreply 10February 5, 2018 12:10 AM

what is this? crime drama? spy thriller? what?

by Anonymousreply 11February 5, 2018 12:27 AM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 12February 5, 2018 12:30 AM

JK plays not one but two characters. He is also the producer.

by Anonymousreply 13February 5, 2018 12:55 AM

Can’t

by Anonymousreply 14February 5, 2018 1:16 AM

I'm hearing very good things from Twitter but I would also like to binge this show once all the episodes have aired.

by Anonymousreply 15February 13, 2018 1:47 PM

I'm growing bored actually. I mean, it's really well done, but ... I find I'm not caring that much about what's going on. And not understanding much about what's going on either.

by Anonymousreply 16February 13, 2018 2:01 PM

Watched the first four episodes. The third one really clears a lot for anyone who might still be confused by that point. It's slow-moving but I suppose that kind of pacing goes hand in hand with the spy intrigue. I'm liking it well enough so far and the German locations and the German being spoken regularly feels very fresh for an American production. It also feels more like home for me as I'm on the same continent.

This cute Lyonese actor's flirting in the gay bar was [italic]adorable[/italic], so of course they had to kill him off immediately. Better take care of the "kill our gays" trope in the very first episode so they won't have to deal with it later, right? And remember everyone, hooking up with strangers of the same sex may lead to your death! A message straight from the 50s.

At least the lesbians get to see some action, although even that sex is there clearly to titillate the male audience. Even features the straight woman going lez for the occasion because why not. The lead actress has huge bolt-on tits which is pretty distracting; she literally went from As to double Ds. But whatever, good for her.

Anyone else watching?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17February 17, 2018 3:31 PM

Forgot to mention old DL fave Jamie Bamber who features in the first episode. It's so weird hearing him speak with his actual British accent as it makes his voice deeper somehow. He sounded like a whiny bitch on Battlestar Galactica with that American accent. Here, he has the exact same voice as Harry Lloyd., so I'm kinda glad he's out as it got very disorienting.

The game of GO is a nice touch but it makes me laugh every time one of them declares a victory [italic]way[/italic] too late in the game when the board is almost full. That's not how any of this works.

But the main problem I have with this show is that neither of the Earths seems to be "ours". Just when I thought one of them was our world, they mention AIDS had been cured and rooibos can't be grown there. So I can't really be bothered to root for anyone.

And lastly, the sexy Vancouverite Nolan Gerard Funk has joined the cast. I had lusted over him when he was in Awkward. He's fluent in German so that comes in handy. Also joining the cast is the fantastic Dutch actress Lotte Verbeek (Outlander, Borgias, Agent Carter...).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18February 26, 2018 10:30 PM

[bold]Betty Gabriel Joins Season 2 Cast Of Starz Series[/bold]

This fabulous actress from [italic]Get Out[/italic] is joining the cast as well!

[quote]Gabriel will play the new series regular role of Naya Temple, a former FBI agent recently hired by the Office of Interchange to clean house, a figure both intimidating and magnetic. She joins J.K. Simmons as Howard Silk, Olivia Williams as Emily Burton Silk, Harry Lloyd as Peter Quayle, Nicholas Pinnock as Ian Shaw, Nazanin Boniadi as Clare, and Sara Serraiocco as Baldwin.

[quote]Gabriel is best known for her portrayal of Georgina in the Oscar-nominated film [italic]Get Out[/italic]. She’ll next be seen in Blumhouse and Neon’s thriller [italic]Upgrade[/italic] opposite Logan Marshall-Green, which will premiere next month at SXSW, as well as in a recurring role on Season 2 of HBO’s [italic]Westworld[/italic].

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19February 26, 2018 10:33 PM

R18 I heard Jamie Bamber first with his British accent in the Horatio Hornblower movies--his first real professional job-- when they showed them on A & E in the late 90's/early 2000's so his American accent was strange to me. Which I had Starz, I do think this show looks good. Hopefully they'll show the episodes during a free weekend(that's how I got to see Black Sails)

by Anonymousreply 20February 26, 2018 10:43 PM

For those with cable through Optimumu/Altice, you should have Starz and Starz Encore now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21March 12, 2018 5:24 PM

I'm catching up with this show. Really enjoyed episodes 7 and 8 which focused on the Harry Lloyd character and his wife, and finally gave us some background as to just WTF is going on. I have to wonder though...why would FauxClare allow herself to become pregnant knowing that it could compromise her mission? (I know, I know: Because 'plot.')

by Anonymousreply 22March 19, 2018 11:27 AM

got rid of Starz cause had too much crap

by Anonymousreply 23March 19, 2018 12:06 PM

I really want to like this show but it just moves too damn slowly. And we’ve been denied Jamie Bamber in a jockstrap.

by Anonymousreply 24November 22, 2018 10:16 PM

Excellent show but it took a big adjustment the first few episodes to see the Farmer's Insurances dork as an action hero/lover.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 22, 2018 10:54 PM

I definitely root for Earth Prime because it was the spinoff Earth that sent the virus to Earth Prime that killed off 7% of their population. Plus Earth-2 just seems more evil.

Emily Prime is more badass than Emily Silk but Howard Silk is much more lovable than Howard Prime.

Despite thinking he's really cute, I hate Peter Quayle and hope he has a gruesome death. Plus, death to all the lesbians, real and fake.

Were the not-Mare Winninghams supposed to be lezzie with each other??? Ew.

I LOVE the guy who plays Osman!!!!!!!!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26December 28, 2018 11:30 PM

Tammy's ex beard is in this right?

by Anonymousreply 27December 28, 2018 11:31 PM

Canceled or Season 3?

by Anonymousreply 28December 28, 2018 11:31 PM

No word yet.

Is Claude Lambert gay? I haven't watched all of the episodes yet.

by Anonymousreply 29December 28, 2018 11:34 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30December 28, 2018 11:34 PM

Interrogate me, Osman!

Which of his beards, R27?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31December 28, 2018 11:35 PM

R31 the Iranian one

by Anonymousreply 32December 28, 2018 11:37 PM

Tom Cruise had an Iranian beard? Must've been a short contract.

by Anonymousreply 33December 28, 2018 11:39 PM

Wow! She was CAST as Tom's beard back in 2004 before the Holmes casting!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34December 28, 2018 11:42 PM

Lesbian actress and Bardem's current beard/wife Penelope Cruz also bearded for Cruise

Cruz is also a Harvey Girl

by Anonymousreply 35December 28, 2018 11:56 PM

Why all Scientology members are gay?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36December 29, 2018 12:00 AM

The head of the Earth Prime stranded citizens is a gay Asian man with a husband.

The guy Clare killed off in order to her husband to get his job was gay with a regular hookup.

Lambert seems really gay but I have not seen all the episodes.

The graphic nudity of the lesbians is always fast-forwarded, so I hope there were no plot points I missed but I don't want to watch that.

by Anonymousreply 37December 29, 2018 12:02 AM

So, it looks like Earth Copy is OUR Earth!

Earth Copy had the Twin Towers fall on 09/11/2001.

Earth Copy has iPhones plus technology is generally better there.

Earth Copy still has pork as a food option.

People on Earth Copy still smoke cigarettes.

All of those things happen on our Earth... are we a copy?

by Anonymousreply 38December 29, 2018 2:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!