Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

AMC's "The Terror"

Premieres Monday, March 26.

Looks really good! Will anyone else be watching?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 589April 20, 2021 10:16 AM

Absolutely, excellent book.

by Anonymousreply 1March 24, 2018 11:15 PM

Yep! However, monday is also the finale of the Alienist. Thank god for tvo.

by Anonymousreply 2March 24, 2018 11:26 PM

SPOILERS - I watched the sneak preview of episode 1 that aired after Walking Dead on 3/24. I know nothing about this - didn't even know that it's based off a book until I saw R1 mention it. It was pretty interesting and set up enough atmosphere that I want to continue and see how everything pans out. The scene with the guy in the diving suit under the water was creepy.

by Anonymousreply 3March 26, 2018 3:10 PM

I found it rather dull.

by Anonymousreply 4March 26, 2018 3:35 PM

Lost for people who miss Lost but don't miss the complications.

by Anonymousreply 5March 26, 2018 3:43 PM

Are you the one who posted telling us watch “Mosaic”? Because that fucking sucked.

Hedlund was as handsome as ever but Stone will never have a real comeback with material like that.

by Anonymousreply 6March 26, 2018 3:47 PM

This "good but not great" review in Variety got so many nasty comments from douchebro book fans it's turned me off the show somewhat. I mean, the first comment is simply unreal; who has that much time on their hands to address the reviewer point-by-point?

However, it features my future husband, Tobias Menzies, so of course I'm going to watch it as long as he's in it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7March 26, 2018 3:52 PM

I haven't read the book and know nothing about the story except what I've seen in the commercials, so I can't be disappointed that it's not as good. I'm looking foward to his since The Alienist is ending.

I watched the episode yesterday and enjoyed it. I will have to rewatch to pay closer attention to everyone's ranks/jobs. Theres a lot of people on board. Ciaran Hinds is always good. I don't want to see that dog get killed though (Mary! me all you want, I don't care). And for some reason they brought along a capuchin monkey. What's the purpose of that?

by Anonymousreply 8March 26, 2018 4:32 PM

I really want to see this.

by Anonymousreply 9March 26, 2018 4:45 PM

Cool second episode. The surgeon is my favorite character- he's a good guy.

And looks like we have a couple sailors getting busy below decks. Hot. One of the guys was kind of cute.

by Anonymousreply 10March 27, 2018 4:20 AM

I'm hooked and will watch. Want to know what the HELL was that thing that killed the sailor on the ice?? It happened so fast it shocked the shit of me!

I need to rewatch the episode again. What made the guy fall from the mast? Was it a gunshot? Anybody able to tell me what that was?

by Anonymousreply 11March 27, 2018 1:36 PM

I don't think "spoilers" means what you think it does, r3.

by Anonymousreply 12March 27, 2018 2:21 PM

Why introduce supernatural/horror elements? Wouldn't their predicament be fodder enough for the story?

by Anonymousreply 13March 27, 2018 2:28 PM

I'll watch. At times Jared Harris says a phrase and he sounds just like his dad. Kinda freaky. He is doing a great job.

by Anonymousreply 14March 27, 2018 2:56 PM

"Why introduce supernatural/horror elements? Wouldn't their predicament be fodder enough for the story?"

I wondered the same thing. That said, I enjoyed the show ad the cast is great.

by Anonymousreply 15March 27, 2018 3:16 PM

I had to turn on the closed captions.

by Anonymousreply 16March 27, 2018 4:35 PM

[quote]"Why introduce supernatural/horror elements? Wouldn't their predicament be fodder enough for the story?"

It's based on a novel by Dan Simmons, who writes in the sci-fi/supernatural genres. He introduced those elements, not the producers or screenwriters.

by Anonymousreply 17March 27, 2018 6:08 PM

[quote]Absolutely, excellent book.

I listened to the audiobook years ago, and quite honestly I didn't really like it. I'd loved some of his Hyperion sci-fi novels and after them The Terror felt slow and boring. It felt like Simmons was aiming to create something big and wonderful but couldn't just get there. That said the novel does have a rather strong atmosphere. I guess it all depends on whether you enjoy it or not.

BTW, there's some gay content in the novel, although if I remember correctly it wasn't very uplifting. Not really homophobic but just not very satisfying. Then again it wasn't a major part of the story at all.

by Anonymousreply 18March 27, 2018 6:39 PM

Not aware of this until I was channel surfing last night. It was the supernatural elements that caught me, particularly the shamanistic Inuit moments. So I’m DVR’ing the whole thing.

Haven’t heard of the book, let alone read it. Though I like the supernatural elements, they seem more like padding to enliven the slowly grinding crush of the ice as the ships are inexorably destroyed, which I believe is what actually happened.

But it certainly has great production values, and a fine cast. Kind of an ornate Masterpiece Theatre, without the Masterpiece.

by Anonymousreply 19March 27, 2018 6:48 PM

will watch,I love the dark mood not so much the boat/open sea scenario but yeah it looks like the production is really good. I have Taboo kinda vibes from this.

by Anonymousreply 20March 27, 2018 7:58 PM

There was definitely a gay scene last night - two crew members were down below in a store room (?) and got caught by a superior - they didn’t show anything but the two sailors talked afterwards and basically confirmed it. I don’t think the officer did anything about it because I’m sure it wasn’t uncommon.

by Anonymousreply 21March 27, 2018 8:03 PM

If the ship's a-rockin, don't come a-knockin'

by Anonymousreply 22March 28, 2018 2:19 AM

My God, this is such a bore

by Anonymousreply 23March 28, 2018 3:14 AM

So many hot sailors! It's as if DL organized an Arctic expedition!

by Anonymousreply 24March 28, 2018 3:47 AM

Moby Dick + The Thing = yawnfest.

by Anonymousreply 25March 28, 2018 4:07 AM

"So many hot sailors! It's as if DL organized an Arctic expedition!"

Plus, there's homosex where the sailor go up into the sailor!

by Anonymousreply 26March 28, 2018 3:27 PM

I enjoyed the first two episodes but I'm not loving it just yet. I wish the camerawork was more inventive when it comes to conveying the sense of confined space on those ships, the alien nature of the environment and... well, just terror in general. Perhaps they'll escalate it as the season progresses. The supernatural touches I like very much.

The one thing I wish they made clearer is the question of provisions. Just how much food and for how long can be packed into those ships?

Love how the cocky douche turned out to be gay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27March 29, 2018 8:43 PM

The ships had 8,000 tins or three years worth of provisions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28March 29, 2018 8:49 PM

r28 Thanks! But damn, where the hell did they pack all that stuff? The captain's quarters seem so lavish and like an ineffective use of the ship's limited space to me. Or perhaps that's just the trick of the camera which makes that space seem larger than it actually is.

by Anonymousreply 29March 29, 2018 8:54 PM

It was very hard to understand some of the lines and watching on a Roku, it dowsn't give e the option of turning on captions. So, can someone explain that dome of stones the expedition found. I thought it was a burial site built by the native people, but then the British opened it up and left a note in it.

Then I presumed it was built as a time capsule/"mailbox" for any explorers who wind up in the Arctic but who all has been there before? I thought these guys were the first ones exploring that area?

by Anonymousreply 30March 30, 2018 1:20 AM

I loved it.

My partner watches the walking dead, i hate this stupid show, i'm in the room usually doing something else, being on the laptop etc and I watched this show with him and I really enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 31March 30, 2018 1:22 AM

r30 God, I'm so dense I thought that pile of rocks marked the North Pole. But there's no way they'd be able to calculate that in their era yet, right?

by Anonymousreply 32April 1, 2018 10:12 AM

The pile of rocks is a cairn

by Anonymousreply 33April 1, 2018 11:27 AM

[quote]In modern times, cairns are often erected as landmarks, a use they have had since ancient times. However, since prehistory, they have also been built and used as burial monuments; for defense and hunting; for ceremonial purposes, sometimes relating to astronomy; to locate buried items, such as caches of food or objects; and to mark trails, among other purposes. (Wikipedia)

Well, that's nice but still doesn't tell me anything about why that particular cairn was erected. They jotted something down, didn't they? Was that diary/log hidden in the cairn? I'm so confused. I wouldn't mind one of the fans of the book having a meltdown in this thread if it meant I got to finally understand that scene.

by Anonymousreply 34April 1, 2018 11:37 AM

Couldn't get through this, Ciaran Hinds is disgusting to look at with the way his face and neck are merged into one, and wtf was with Jared Harris' accent? Sounded Jamaican.

by Anonymousreply 35April 1, 2018 11:49 AM

Whenever I hear Jared Harris talk these days I keep hearing his terrible accent from The Expanse.

by Anonymousreply 36April 1, 2018 12:42 PM

r36 Oh, yeah, that Dutch/South African hybrid monstrosity. So awful.

by Anonymousreply 37April 1, 2018 12:45 PM

It's rather slow which I don't mind if I find some characters interesting enough. But so far I am not really interested, or invested in the characters. The one guy in the first episode (who dives and sees the corpse floating towards him) seemed interesting, in some heroic warrior kind of way, but he vanished and chickened out when he was asked what he saw underwater.

by Anonymousreply 38April 1, 2018 12:45 PM

The cairn was built by the last explorers that had been there which I assume were British since they said something about it was still standing or something. They knew it was there and it was what they had gone out to search for so they could leave a message in it for, I assume, the next explorers.

I'm going to watch it again with captions turned on. I thought it was just me but I'm beginning to wonder if there is something wrong with the audio that so much gets slurred.

by Anonymousreply 39April 1, 2018 12:57 PM

Thanks, R39

by Anonymousreply 40April 1, 2018 9:30 PM

I believe I read somewhere that the show was largely filmed in Croatia. If so, well done, CGI Dept.!

by Anonymousreply 41April 1, 2018 9:35 PM

r41 Wait, what? How?!

by Anonymousreply 42April 1, 2018 10:12 PM

That was crazy when the captain was pulled into that hole, and when that other mauled seaman's body came down and his jaw-less head landed next to him. Also, the gay lovers spat lead to the short dude leaving a "gift" for his ex. Dang!

I thought it funny that the ship had a spiffy captains coffin in storage, just in case.

by Anonymousreply 43April 3, 2018 2:15 AM

Is that one gay guy really short or is the other guy very tall? Shorty looked a whole foot shorter than curly hair.

And I laugh every time someone mentions Captain (I think that's his rank) Blankey. What a dumb name.

Sir John getting his leg ripped off was pretty gnarly. Bet he wishes he went back to the ship instead of waiting for the bear hunt.

by Anonymousreply 44April 3, 2018 2:25 AM

Gay drama

by Anonymousreply 45April 3, 2018 3:27 PM

Lasts night episode wasn't as good as the first two

by Anonymousreply 46April 3, 2018 3:29 PM

Wait, what? Sir John's already dead? Thought he would stay alive a little bit longer to see how he fucked the entire expidition with his stupid pride (to come home a victorious hero and a worthy historic figure).

by Anonymousreply 47April 3, 2018 4:50 PM

I realize that the nineteenth century navy encouraged its men to maintain stiff upper lips. But, jeez, their shipmates are literally being torn limb from limb by some unseen entity, and they're all being perfectly phlegmatic about it?

by Anonymousreply 48April 3, 2018 6:11 PM

All ships of that era had a ship's carpenter, R43. I'm sure he could knock together a nice coffin for a leg in an afternoon.

Have to say, the officers' cabins are pretty swank with all the cabinetry and cut glass. Do we know the rank of the taller gay sailor? He must have some position to have a his own room, tiny though it is. And I know he and his ex-bf had to keep their voices down in their scene, but, man, that was hard to hear. But it was faster to watch it twice than turn the closed captioning on. And his ex? What a, um, shit.

I'm guessing Tobias Menzies dies next -- he seems to die in EVERY show he's in. (He'll be spared that when he plays Prince Philip in The Crown.)

by Anonymousreply 49April 5, 2018 11:10 PM

I liked the book, until the ending--one of the worst I've ever read. Actually threw the book on the floor I was so annoyed.

I wonder if they'll keep it; I'll watch the last ep to see.

by Anonymousreply 50April 5, 2018 11:20 PM

[quote]And I know he and his ex-bf had to keep their voices down in their scene, but, man, that was hard to hear. But it was faster to watch it twice than turn the closed captioning on.

Agree with you and some of the other posters that have pointed this out; this show is outrageous with its mumbling. That cabin conversation should not qualify as something that ends up in the final product, seriously. I realize this isn't theatre but why can't they take a cue from my boo, Tobias Menzies, and try to enunciate at least a bit more?

Anyway, the homo drama is giving me LIFE! And both actors have such beautiful perfect noses, it's too bad they won't be together anymore. But perhaps the rosacea one can hook up with the guy who's pushing conversion therapy on him? He's cute, right? Love that he offered watercolouring as one of the activities that might keep the homo urges at bay.

Oh, and I'm totally saying this from now on whenever I tell someone to locate and kill a mosquito or a cockroach:

[quote]Educate this creature as to the Dominion of the Empire and the Will of the Lord behind It!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51April 6, 2018 1:01 AM

Look at that greenscreen acting by Ciarán Hinds. Now that's the way you exit a TV show where you were the presumed lead!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52April 6, 2018 1:09 AM

When you're about to take a dump on your ex-lover's bed and you put on a white glove because why not at that point.

Would that be called a "high dump"?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53April 6, 2018 1:31 AM

He intended to wipe his ass with the glove.

by Anonymousreply 54April 6, 2018 1:34 AM

r54 Thanks, book reader! That's crucial information right there and I feel like it didn't really come through in the scene as I got confused. Love the irreverence of it happening during the funeral, though. Sure, it could be interpreted as "problematic" (homosexuals are heathens who don't value tradition...) but whatever, I enjoyed it, and will definitely consider doing it myself one day.

by Anonymousreply 55April 6, 2018 1:41 AM

We'll have to wait and see if the homophobe turns out to be a self-hating gay who was jealous of the couple and broke them up out of spite and misguided religious fervor.

by Anonymousreply 56April 6, 2018 1:48 AM

"But perhaps the rosacea one can hook up with the guy who's pushing conversion therapy on him? He's cute, right? Love that he offered watercolouring as one of the activities that might keep the homo urges at bay."

He's the Mike Pence of the Victorian Era

by Anonymousreply 57April 6, 2018 3:04 AM

I wanted to say these two are about to butt heads all the time from now on but the captain (don't know the name) is going on an expedition, right? So Tobias will have free reign to fuck up absolutely everything on those two ships. He's a disaster waiting to happen, bless his arse-licking heart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58April 6, 2018 2:16 PM

I know this was not filmed on location (clearly...) and that the CGI department earned every dollar they were paid, but it occasionally takes me out of the show when the actors are strolling around "outside" with a) no vapor coming out their mouths, b) wearing half gloves and no hats and c) it's gently snowing like the inside of a snow globe.

by Anonymousreply 59April 6, 2018 5:25 PM

I see tonight's episode either leaked or was intentionally released by AMC a week ago already. I won't spoil a thing, I'll just say it's a great episode and we have many pretty gifs coming our way.

by Anonymousreply 60April 9, 2018 8:45 PM

Mr. hickey reminds me of Littlefinger from Game of Thrones. Same smarmy personality and never shuts up.

Whip his ass!

by Anonymousreply 61April 10, 2018 1:47 AM

Well that wasn't hot at all. More naked ass without the whipping next time, please.

Curly haired gay guy might have a new suitor? Who was the guy he looked at across the whipping table?

by Anonymousreply 62April 10, 2018 1:55 AM

What was that in the bag in his bed at the end?

by Anonymousreply 63April 10, 2018 1:57 AM

I read "Drood' by Dan Simmons, and it was absolutely awful. It took me months to get through it (and I'm a Dickens fan). Is this any better?

by Anonymousreply 64April 10, 2018 2:00 AM

R63 weed? Something for the pain was my guess.

by Anonymousreply 65April 10, 2018 2:55 AM

r64 Drood was not as terrible as you make it out to be though it could have used an editor with a sturdier hand. I read his Sherlock Holmes Henry James mashup and It's not half bad. Has anyone read Simmon's Sci-fi stuff?

by Anonymousreply 66April 10, 2018 2:58 AM

The latest episode sold me on the show.

[quote] Mr. hickey reminds me of Littlefinger from Game of Thrones. Same smarmy personality and never shuts up.

That's a really good point. Hickey is playing some great con game. He has the men on his side, and alienated them from Captain Franzis, after the stunt he pulled and being punished for it. Not bad for a gay guy.

by Anonymousreply 67April 10, 2018 10:40 AM

Who knew that Mr. Hickey (Adam Nagatis) has such a tight body underneath those raggedy clothes?

Adam Nagatis reminds me of Arthur Darville (Roy from Doctor Who and Rip Hunter on Legends of Tomorrow). Could be because of the beard thing though.

by Anonymousreply 68April 10, 2018 10:47 AM

My apologies, I meant Arthur Darvill (Rory from Doctor Who ...).

by Anonymousreply 69April 10, 2018 10:49 AM

So what is The Terror?

by Anonymousreply 70April 10, 2018 11:03 AM

Mister Hickey's damned hot!

His body is perfection, and that ass (minus the whipping scars) is beautiful.

I missed the first episode. Was he giving or receiving the bj?

He seems like he would be a top.

by Anonymousreply 71April 10, 2018 1:52 PM

Just how badass of a mofo was this broad, right?! She dispensed with that patriarchal macho nonsense with her pinky. And the burn to her daughter's suitor was one for the ages.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72April 10, 2018 2:17 PM

Oh, gods, now the next week's episode has leaked as well!

by Anonymousreply 73April 10, 2018 2:19 PM

Yes R72, that was my favorite part of the episode!

And she made her case not in some convoluted, unbelieveable way which would not have been appropriate for the time period (which often happens with these types of shows), but she did it in a very quiet and dignified, yet stern manner.

Whoever wrote that scene is a true talent. It was a pleasure to watch.

by Anonymousreply 74April 10, 2018 2:23 PM

Greta Scacchi is good in this.

by Anonymousreply 75April 10, 2018 2:57 PM

[quote]Drood was not as terrible as you make it out to be

Oh, it was pretty terrible.

by Anonymousreply 76April 10, 2018 3:42 PM

Hot damn, based on those rips, AMC either made the entire season available online, or it leaked accidentally.

Whatever the case, I hope it still gets good ratings regardless. They made such a global marketing push for this one; even my godforsaken shithole got those nice bus stop posters that made me aware of the show a full day before I saw it on DL. And that never happens to me.

I can't decide whether to savour it each week or just binge the whole thing right now.

by Anonymousreply 77April 10, 2018 5:41 PM

is everything Tobias is in now going to have flogging in it?

by Anonymousreply 78April 10, 2018 6:18 PM

I read the book. It’s a COOKBOOK!!!!

by Anonymousreply 79April 10, 2018 6:28 PM

Let's have Tobias Menzies flogged next. I want his ass on display.

by Anonymousreply 80April 10, 2018 11:53 PM

Watching the seventh episode right now. This show is so, so good! It's also depressing at times so I'll have to take a short break after this one.

by Anonymousreply 81April 11, 2018 12:10 AM

I'm legitimately too terrified to go to sleep after having finished that episode so I'm definitely taking a break from this show. That sound design was brilliantly vomit-inducing.

But I have to say, while I do appreciate gay characters, I don't like when they're presented as villainous and scheming. It's such a tired trope at this point.

by Anonymousreply 82April 11, 2018 1:03 AM

[quote] while I do appreciate gay characters, I don't like when they're presented as villainous and scheming.

I didn't necessarily see Hickey as villainous.

I saw him as brave and proactive.

He was right to tell the Captain what he did. He captured the source of their problem (the girl is obviously some sort of witch) and the creature went away.

To me, the Captain is the big pussy, and Hickey is the hero.

by Anonymousreply 83April 11, 2018 1:07 AM

I want to see dinosaurs!

by Anonymousreply 84April 11, 2018 1:19 AM

Rofl R84, I forgot about that line from Datalounge of yesteryear!

And it's "dinosours!"

by Anonymousreply 85April 11, 2018 1:25 AM

r83 Forget I said anything as my point was slightly spoilerish. I hate these damn leaks as they just interfere with the normal pace of discussion. Now I hate to wait for four whole weeks for people to catch up. Which means I'll just be reading this thread like an idiot and not being able to say a thing. Eurgh! I swear I was like a bear with a jar of honey right under my nose; just couldn't help myself.

r85 I can't find that word on DL through Google so it must be a [italic]really[/italic] old joke.

by Anonymousreply 86April 11, 2018 1:28 AM

*Now I have to wait

by Anonymousreply 87April 11, 2018 1:29 AM

[quote] I can't find that word on DL through Google so it must be a really old joke.

"Dinosours" is a very old joke, dating back to the days of "Lost" when Dataloungers were really into that show. Some goof mis-spelled dinosaurs, and it became a meme.

Sort of like when David Ehrenstein started a thread titled, "Why are straight me so stupid?"

Of course, he meant "Why are straight MEN so stupid," but people pounced on that title because they hated David Ehrenstein, and the fact that he basically asked why he himself is so stupid, was an extra bonus.

by Anonymousreply 88April 11, 2018 1:33 AM

r88 Thanks, that Lost connection makes it even funnier! God, I wish I was here when the whole world (myself included) was obsessing over it.

by Anonymousreply 89April 11, 2018 1:38 AM

[quote] Let's have Tobias Menzies flogged next. I want his ass on display.

He's respectable now being on basic cable and all. No more ass or cock shots from him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90April 11, 2018 1:47 AM

r90 Booo!

But yes, he's not doing any of that anymore, especially after scoring The Crown. Whatever, I can live without it, I'm just glad he's hitting it big finally.

by Anonymousreply 91April 11, 2018 1:52 AM

Tobias has a nice dick.

by Anonymousreply 92April 12, 2018 3:15 AM

R70: The Terror is the name of one of the two ships (the other is The Erebus). Of course, it's also... whatever killing machine is out there on the ice.

Glad Tobias lasted another week. He *always* dies in these sorts of shows.

by Anonymousreply 93April 12, 2018 4:42 PM

Matt Smith showed his ass on The Crown so Tobias could as well.

by Anonymousreply 94April 14, 2018 5:40 PM

Saw the entire season. Leaked from Amazon Prime Italia. It's fantastic and will easily be my favorite thing this year. The ending was NUTS.

by Anonymousreply 95April 14, 2018 8:17 PM

[quote]Hot damn, based on those rips, AMC either made the entire season available online, or it leaked accidentally.

The entire season is available on AMC's subscription service, AMC Premiere.

by Anonymousreply 96April 14, 2018 10:04 PM

r96 Thanks. So that's an interesting streaming model, isn't it? Give the bingeing option to those who are willing to pay for it. Although as we can see here on DL, it can mess with the weekly conversation flow/buzz. Of course, none of that particularly matters for shows that were designed to last one season only.

by Anonymousreply 97April 14, 2018 10:11 PM

What is happening?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98April 15, 2018 12:44 AM

^^Spoilers!

I want to go to Tumblr so bad to find gifs of Hickey's taut bod when he was getting whipped, but I'm afraid of getting spoiled as I've still got three episodes left to watch. AMC really messed with my routine by releasing this all at once.

by Anonymousreply 99April 15, 2018 12:50 AM

For you, r99!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100April 15, 2018 1:13 AM

r100 Oh gosh, thanks!!

He's just the tautest. I hope to see him in more stuff soon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101April 15, 2018 1:18 AM

Adam Nagaitis was in The Commuter and I spent the entire time trying to figure out where I had seen him before. I hadn't but he looked so much like Arthur Darvill from Legends of Tomorrow. Nagaitis is a much better actor than Darvill.

by Anonymousreply 102April 15, 2018 3:10 PM

[quote]Nagaitis is a much better actor than Darvill.

r102 Ha, I like Darvill a lot and he's [italic]exactly[/italic] my type, but you're right when it comes to his acting chops. I guess they didn't ride him hard enough at RADA.

by Anonymousreply 103April 15, 2018 3:20 PM

I can't wait until everyone gets to see the epic fifth episode! I've watched it 3 times already, it's so good.

by Anonymousreply 104April 16, 2018 12:08 AM

I'm glad the audio thing wasn't just me - I thought I was losing my hearing!

I haven't read the book or viewed the leaked episodes, but they had problems before they ran into Mr. & Mrs. Eskimo; the guy trying to clear the propeller clearly saw something coming towards him. I think the monster isn't out to get her like the prissy englishmen, but I don't think she controls it - but maybe future episodes prove me wrong.

The captain was right to flog the mouthy irish guy, but I have a feeling it will lose him whatever support he may have had

by Anonymousreply 105April 16, 2018 8:26 PM

I'd fuck Darvill and Nagaitis both in a heartbeat!

by Anonymousreply 106April 16, 2018 11:55 PM

So fit

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107April 16, 2018 11:56 PM

I think it kind of did cost him the support of the men r105. Earlier in the episode didn't they ask the men of his ship (I can't remember if he captains the Terror or the other one) if they'd rather move to the other ship, or stay on that one and get extra food, and after the whipping all but ten guys left?

I think I understood that part. They weren't crazy about their captain after he ordered all those lashes. Like a boy!

by Anonymousreply 108April 17, 2018 12:31 AM

Yeah, I don't think the lady is controlling it. I thought whatever she drew in her igloo was to protect herself and not let the monster enter.

I like the doctor, Mr. Goodsir, hopefully she helps him out so he doesn't get killed.

by Anonymousreply 109April 17, 2018 12:35 AM

I have tried to watch it but I can not figure what is going on...maybe I have missed parts of it.

by Anonymousreply 110April 17, 2018 12:37 AM

my ears and British accents don't go together. I guess I am losing my hearing.

by Anonymousreply 111April 17, 2018 12:42 AM

R110 two ships are stuck in the ice near the North Pole (?) and a monster is killing the crew. One of the captains has been killed and the other now has to figure out what to do.

That's pretty much it.

by Anonymousreply 112April 17, 2018 12:52 AM

Any nudes of Nagaitis? Asking for a friend

by Anonymousreply 113April 17, 2018 12:57 AM

I just watched episodes 5 & 6. OMG!

by Anonymousreply 114April 17, 2018 1:14 AM

[quote] my ears and British accents don't go together. I guess I am losing my hearing.

Just use your Closed Captioning feature on your tv.

I use it permanently now, because actors nowdays are very hard to understand. Not only that, most shows are set at a really low volume when speaking, so it has become almost necessary to use CC.

by Anonymousreply 115April 17, 2018 1:44 AM

So, was it any good? I like the title and the character actor featured in OP’s picture.

by Anonymousreply 116April 17, 2018 1:50 AM

[quote]Mister Hickey's damned hot! His body is perfection, and that ass (minus the whipping scars) is beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117April 17, 2018 1:50 AM

After Lady Silence left/the leg amputation, Goodsir went to her room and seemed to be looking for something, then picked something between two fingers - what was that?

Crozier stepped down because he was going to be "unwell". Is he losing it or going to try to wean himself off the booze and realizes it's going to be a hard road? The "bear" is not that scary looking.

by Anonymousreply 118April 17, 2018 2:10 AM

Is the redhead trying to woo his BF back with jewelry?

by Anonymousreply 119April 17, 2018 2:11 AM

R118 yes, Francis is going off the booze. He's going to be worse than the bear for a few weeks. I don't envy the other officers

R119 yes. Seems to be working.

by Anonymousreply 120April 17, 2018 2:21 AM

Closed captioning people! I can’t make a word out either. I’m kinda glad that first captain got killed already. His head was so big it was freaking me out.

by Anonymousreply 121April 17, 2018 2:31 AM

How many episodes will this show have?

by Anonymousreply 122April 17, 2018 2:35 AM

Lady Silence read the captain to filth! She got so deep under his skin that he decided to stop sucking on the rum bottle.

by Anonymousreply 123April 17, 2018 2:42 AM

I thought it had more to do with his good friend Mr. Blankey getting injured. Francis had a hissy fit and sent Blankey out to check the ice and nearly got killed. He felt bad and decided to get sober.

by Anonymousreply 124April 17, 2018 2:52 AM

Being stranded in the Arctic in the middle of Winter, with a monster killing my crew would make me want to get DRUNK, not sober.

Just sayin'.

by Anonymousreply 125April 17, 2018 3:15 AM

That sailor who was afraid to go below with the dead body because he hears the dead ones singing... is it cabin fever, reaction to the bad food or Inuit spirits haunting him? The doctor thinks something in the canned food (lead?) may be making the man with black gums sick, so the crew could all be at risk for sickness, hallucinations, etc.

by Anonymousreply 126April 17, 2018 4:37 AM

R118, I think it was lead shot from the food (remember the scene when Sir John was eating and found a pellet in his?) and she was using it to draw on the wall.

by Anonymousreply 127April 17, 2018 8:47 AM

R122 Ten episodes.

by Anonymousreply 128April 17, 2018 11:12 AM

I've been watching the leaked episodes and the lack of closed captioning is killing me!

by Anonymousreply 129April 17, 2018 12:24 PM

r129 Yeah, you have to get those with the subtitles baked in because it's frustrating otherwise. I think I missed the whole speech by the Inuit girl to the drunken captain that way.

by Anonymousreply 130April 17, 2018 12:27 PM

You can really go down a rabbit hole of real Franklin Expedition documentaries and such on YouTube, if you're into that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131April 17, 2018 1:20 PM

Here's another

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132April 17, 2018 1:24 PM

When they brought Lady Silence on-board the ship where Hickey is stationed, he seemed very entranced with her - he was staring at her like she was a piece of meat and he was a starving dog. I couldn't tell if his interest was because just having a woman in the area brought out his baser instincts or because he had seen the 'bear' and perceived that she had some kind of "relationship" with it. Then he's shown trying to get back with his tall friend, so it seems far-fetched that he has a sexual interest in her. Confusing.

Also, what happened to the guy who confronted Hickey a few episodes ago - the one who told him he better cut out the gay stuff and get a hobby? All of those sailors kind of look the same - is that guy still around or is he one that got killed off by the bear?

by Anonymousreply 133April 17, 2018 5:05 PM

^ To me, it looked like he was staring at her because the wheels were turning in his head and he was plotting against her, not because of lust but who knows?

by Anonymousreply 134April 17, 2018 5:19 PM

I didn't read that as lust either. He wanted to lynch the witch bitch right there and then.

by Anonymousreply 135April 17, 2018 6:06 PM

[quote]Also, what happened to the guy who confronted Hickey a few episodes ago - the one who told him he better cut out the gay stuff and get a hobby? All of those sailors kind of look the same - is that guy still around or is he one that got killed off by the bear?

He's still around and will come into play a bit later on.

by Anonymousreply 136April 17, 2018 6:07 PM

[quote]but they had problems before they ran into Mr. & Mrs. Eskimo; the guy trying to clear the propeller clearly saw something coming towards him.

Mr Collins saw his dead friend, Billy, floating in the water, the one who had fallen from the mast and instantly died from hypothermia before he could grab on to the line they threw him.

On a side note, the Welsh actor who plays Mr. Collins, Trystan Gravelle, is gorgeous. I am also a bit obsessed with Adam Nagaitis now. That was an incredible performance. Also, Jared Harris needs an Emmy. If you thought his scene last night when he tells his lieutenants he's about to be "unwell" was fantastic, there are many more to come.

For those missing some details, this review covers a lot of ground to help answer your questions:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137April 17, 2018 8:51 PM

I'll second what others have already mentioned that this show is worth sticking thru the end. Good performances all around and some eye candy - notably the actors who plays Jopson and Little (Liam Garrigan and Matthew McNulty, respectively). I liked Greta Scacchi's performance as well.

by Anonymousreply 138April 18, 2018 5:33 PM

I think the pellets are lead used in canning. I thought the captain was giving up drinking because they are almost out of booze.

by Anonymousreply 139April 18, 2018 6:39 PM

I downloaded the whole lot and watched it last week - I wasn't sure if I was going to like it, but wow - it was amazing. I actually loved the end.

*** SPOILER ALERT *****

I did some reading on the expedition and saw that, yes, they did all get sick with hallucinations because of lead poisoning and for it to get to high enough levels to cause the hallucinations etc, it was probably from the water tanks. They actually exhumed some remains and did testing to see whether it affected them and what the levels were. Also, there were cut marks on the bones which showed they did eventually resort to cannibalism.

by Anonymousreply 140April 18, 2018 7:00 PM

Oh good I can post again.

Anyway, some cute interviews.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141April 19, 2018 3:34 AM

More!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142April 19, 2018 3:43 AM

Men.com needs to be a porn version/

by Anonymousreply 143April 19, 2018 4:19 AM

I find Jared Harris oddly attractive.

by Anonymousreply 144April 19, 2018 4:53 PM

I find Tobias Menzies wildly attractive (OK, not in his Terror wig...). And he's not dead yet!

by Anonymousreply 145April 19, 2018 5:37 PM

I'm currently bingeing on this, up to the 6th episodes and imo, is the most intense one yet.

by Anonymousreply 146April 19, 2018 7:17 PM

Wow, on episode seven things go off the rails. I mean, WTF! All because of the food from the cans?

by Anonymousreply 147April 19, 2018 9:33 PM

Interview with Adam Nagaitis:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148April 19, 2018 9:37 PM

R140, you’ll be interested to know that years later, after they figured out the lead poisoning, they found a fingernail of one of the people there when they found some bodies. They analyzed the fingernail and were able to figure out how much lead entered the body month by month, due to the nail growing out.

They found that although they had a high lead content, it did not happen all of a sudden or towards the end. They thought most of it was just heavy lead exposure from everyday life in those days.

Instead, they thought their illnesses were caused by zinc deficiency, not lead poisoning. They did have lemon juice on ships back then for vitamin C, to avoid scurvy, but they didn’t know how to store it well so it may have lost most of its Vitamin C or been spoiled.

by Anonymousreply 149April 19, 2018 10:36 PM

Here’s the link.

They also found out some Inuits had run across them a couple of times. Once, supposedly an Inuit woman boarded their ship and found them in good health, or so she claimed. In another case, some time later, an Inuit, or a few of them, saw them walking on the ice, and dropping down dead as they walked. Apparently, it never occurred to any of these Inuits to lead them to safety or send for help. They just let them die.

There was a guy who was obsessed with this case in the 1800’s and did a lot of research, which ended up in a library. Another 21st century guy looked up his notes. He found that the Inuit testimony was pretty much brushed aside at the time, because the British government was trying to portray the sailors as “heroic” and didn’t want the truth to come out. They did cannibalize each other according to the found remains.

If their judgment was affected by vitamin deficiency or something else, no one knows what the exact cause was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150April 19, 2018 10:43 PM

Running to the store tomorrow to get that zinc supplement! I see my multivitamins only cover a quarter of the recommended daily amount. Selenium deficiency also sounds dreadful so I'll stock up on that as well. Thanks for raising awareness, show!

Oh, and there's a shitload of zinc in a (human) ejaculate so those of you avid cum guzzlers needn't worry yourself. You know who you are, with the perfect immune systems and thick hair and whatnot.

r148 Is Adam Nagaitis aware he's the newest DL fave? Because I feel like he definitely should know that and take great pride in it.

by Anonymousreply 151April 19, 2018 11:14 PM

So tragedy could have been avoided if they had just blown each other?

by Anonymousreply 152April 19, 2018 11:36 PM

r152 Your point and this show, in general, make me think about homosexuality in pre- and non-Christian sea-faring civilizations. For example, is there any record at all about how the Vikings treated homosexual relationships on their ships? Seems to me it would be the perfect outlet for any sexual frustration. And if they didn't tolerate it, wouldn't that be the definitive evidence that homo relations among sailors weren't banned throughout history just because of religious values, but out of expediency as they tend to interfere with "troop cohesion"?

What I'm saying is, please recommend me some resources on gay sailors in the past so I can understand this issue more.

by Anonymousreply 153April 20, 2018 12:00 AM

R153, all I know is that with no access to regular showers and living in sub-zero weather conditions, I don't think that anyone would want to have sex with anyone else in that type of environment.

Oh, the stench!

by Anonymousreply 154April 20, 2018 12:06 AM

"In pirate society two men could “marry.” They would exchange gold rings, and pledge eternal union. After this, they were expected to share everything. Plunder and living spaces were obvious, but couples in matelotage were also known to share other property, and even women. If one of the partners was killed in action, pirate captains were careful to make sure that the surviving member received both shares of plunder, as well as any appropriate death benefits."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155April 20, 2018 12:08 AM

Only tops were accepted by the Vikings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156April 20, 2018 12:17 AM

Alright, I'm out. I like this show and don't want it spoiled. Peace!

by Anonymousreply 157April 20, 2018 12:24 AM

r157 Posters here have been pretty gallant about spoilers thus far. I hope that continues until the show has aired in full. I know we'd all like to discuss future episodes but it would be a waste to have two separate threads for this wonderful show.

by Anonymousreply 158April 20, 2018 12:39 AM

r155 Interesting blog post, thanks. Judging by the comments there, I'm not the only one interested in this. Unfortunately, the sources seem to be far and few between. As can be expected, I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 159April 20, 2018 12:45 AM

This series seems like too much work.

by Anonymousreply 160April 20, 2018 1:28 AM

r160 In what way? It's just ten episodes and that's it.

by Anonymousreply 161April 20, 2018 1:29 AM

Adam for 1883.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162April 20, 2018 4:39 PM

[quote][bold]Who would you like to work with - actors and directors?[/bold]

[quote]There’s lots - if I had my dream list, Paul Thomas Anderson, that’d be the name at the top of the list in big letters. Actors, there are many actors I’d like to watch, see how they behave on set, Paul Giamatti is one of them. Stephen Graham is an actor I massively admire.

Straight as an arrow, isn't he?

by Anonymousreply 163April 20, 2018 11:25 PM

Thanks R162. He's so hot, and goddamn it, I like his tattoos.

by Anonymousreply 164April 20, 2018 11:41 PM

I watched episodes 7 and 8 last night. This show is giving me PTSD!

by Anonymousreply 165April 21, 2018 10:59 AM

i lasted 15 min into it

screams 1990

by Anonymousreply 166April 21, 2018 11:05 AM

Needs some gay action in it

in those days the male only boats were full as hell of it!

by Anonymousreply 167April 21, 2018 11:07 AM

r166 screams bougie

by Anonymousreply 168April 21, 2018 11:08 AM

r165 Watched the seventh episode almost two weeks ago and still can't bring myself to watch the next one.

by Anonymousreply 169April 21, 2018 1:01 PM

The Canadians were so into the story of Franklin's Expedition, that this was a hit in 1981.

I've never heard this song before today, and I'll admit, it gave me chills. What is this show doing to my mind?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170April 21, 2018 11:49 PM

Finished it today and still can't believe how absorbed I've allowed myself to get; my heart was pounding during some of those moments. The last two episodes are a bit weak and it ends with a bit of a whimper, but it's still a great little series. I admit I've never seen Inuits portrayed in any scripted TV show ever, so that was nice.

Goodsir "washing" his hairy chest and body was incredibly erotic to watch, even though it was a sad moment for him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171April 22, 2018 12:01 AM

Oh, and young Charles Dickens (played by Tristan Teller) could GET IT!

Was he [italic]really[/italic] this handsome, though?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172April 22, 2018 12:03 AM

Honestly, I'm relieved to hear the last two episodes are a "bit weak." Like R169 I've been dreading them.

by Anonymousreply 173April 22, 2018 12:03 AM

r173 Ha! I was exactly the same (I wrote that at r169) before finally sitting down and finishing it. Still, I had to remind myself like a kid "It's just a show, it's just a show" when I resumed it. I swear the sound design on this show is made with a single purpose; to drive you crazy along with those men.

It's so rare for a TV show to do that to me anymore. Must have been their absolute isolation that did the trick. Even the flashbacks to London didn't break the illusion.

by Anonymousreply 174April 22, 2018 12:14 AM

R161, complaints about needing closed-captioning

by Anonymousreply 175April 22, 2018 12:53 AM

That's one of the best gay relationships recently on TV. They truly cared about each other.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176April 22, 2018 2:39 AM

r176 That one went completely over my head and I only started suspecting something when he saw those grey lesions on his arms. And still, I thought they were maybe father and son at the very end. Was there anything more that was foreshadowed about their relationship in the earlier episodes? Seems to me like it came out of nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 177April 22, 2018 10:23 AM

InStyle: "Adam Nagaitis: Meet The Stand Out Star of The Terror, Your New TV Obsession".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178April 24, 2018 12:43 AM

r178 He looks like a fox that knows exactly where the honey's hidden in that cover photo.

by Anonymousreply 179April 24, 2018 12:47 AM

That's what I love about Adam, R179.

He always has this mischievous look about him, which is very sexy.

by Anonymousreply 180April 24, 2018 1:22 AM

I just found out the AV Club was doing weekly reviews of this show. Can't believe I missed them as I read reviews for shows I like far less.

And would you look at those As for all the six episodes so far! That hardly ever happens. This is a good fucking show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181April 24, 2018 2:21 AM

What's Hickey's deal? Is he losing it like the guy who told the doctor about the darkness inside him? Hickey looks more lucid than that other guy, so I don't understand.

Also, in today's episode (#56) I saw the love between the pair in R176's link - they had a nice hug after finding each other safe after the fire, and a finger caress when he gave him the Greek book. I didn't pick up on it in earlier episodes. Plus, I've liked the actor playing the older man since I saw him in the 80's gay movie "Edward II".

by Anonymousreply 182April 24, 2018 2:21 AM

^^ Also, in today's episode (#6)

by Anonymousreply 183April 24, 2018 2:23 AM

Raves for my darling Tobias.

[quote]Because I haven’t elsewhere, I want to praise the performance of Tobias Menzies as Captain James Fitzjames. This is a difficult role, requiring him to be the least sympathetic of the expedition’s leaders, but at the same time never allowing him to rest on the laurels of total inflexibility or outright villainy. You have to believe this guy is capable of being a good friend to Sir John even when he’s constantly running down Captain Crozier, then believe he’s the kind of person who can put previous bad feelings aside and work with Crozier as a partner and a friend. Menzies’ deeply lined face and rumbling voice make him convincing on either side of the ledger. On this episode in particular, Menzies sells Fitzjames’s shame and despair over the fate of what he’d hoped would be a rare night of happiness for his men with quiet ferocity. His confusion over his spontaneously bleeding scalp is one of the hour’s most discomfiting details as well.

Why the hell was his scalp bleeding, anyway? Did we ever get an explanation for that? The reviewer clocked the other gay romance as well, which I somehow missed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184April 24, 2018 2:24 AM

r182 I've no idea what's happening with Hickey. He scares me the most, to be honest. So chaotic.

by Anonymousreply 185April 24, 2018 2:28 AM

R182 here: After reading the AV Club review of E6, I see that the doctor set the fire alone. I thought Hickey was helping him! Gotta pay closer attention, I guess

by Anonymousreply 186April 24, 2018 2:44 AM

I’ve got 2 more to go and I’ll be sad when it’s over. l’ll miss watching all these hairy, manly, albeit crazy men.

by Anonymousreply 187April 24, 2018 2:46 AM

When I started watching it, I didn't even know that this is based on real events. I actually think that even without that big white terror, the story is still very much fascinating. I mean it has them dying with a mysterious sickness and of course cannibalism.

by Anonymousreply 188April 24, 2018 11:56 AM

[quote] Why the hell was his scalp bleeding, anyway? Did we ever get an explanation for that?

"Scurvy is a disease resulting from a lack of vitamin C. Early symptoms include weakness, feeling tired, and sore arms and legs. Without treatment, decreased red blood cells, gum disease, changes to hair, and bleeding from the skin may occur."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189April 24, 2018 12:19 PM

r189 Oh, thanks! I thought bleeding from scurvy was reserved to gums only. How awful.

I always wondered why scurvy was always so prominent in these naval stories. What about other vitamin, mineral, and essential amino acid deficiencies? Hypomagnesemia sure seems equally terrifying to me, for example. And I actually suffered from it, so I ought to know. Or perhaps the blood coming from your gums is more immediately frightening than essential tremors and that's why it got so famous?

They didn't add iodine to their salt back then either, did they?

by Anonymousreply 190April 24, 2018 12:29 PM

Can someone please summarize what happened in this past episode? I'm so confused.

Why did the Eski lady cut out her tongue? Why was Hickey playing with the dead guy's brain? Is the Captain's cute and very loyal assistant (I can't remember his name) in love with him? Who are the two men who are now officially a couple? Who set the fire, and why? And what the fuck was going on at the Carnival? I saw the dead guy make another appearance, two naked guys in a boiling pot of water, and lots of other weirdness. The whole thing was surreal!

Any thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 191April 24, 2018 1:56 PM

Maybe you should just watch it over again, R191. I'll try to address some of it.

1.T hey really glossed over this too much in the show, but the Inuit woman's father was a shaman whose job it was to control the supernatural demon bear. He didn't have a tongue either, so the tongue removal is part of some shamanistic process to let a person commune with the beast.

2. Because Hickey is a sadistic dick.

3. Up to you.

4. You mean the older guy who gave a book to the younger guy? As you can see, I don't know their names either. Doesn't really matter.

5. If you missed that, you REALLY need to re-watch. The asshole doctor did it. Because he snapped and went insane. Did you miss the part where he doused himself with (whatever flammable liquid) and lit himself up? (My gripes with this are that the Asshole Doctor and the Nice Doctor look too much alike. And what the hell was so flammable? TV shows always act as if alcohol burns like napalm.)

6. I loved how the "fun" carnival turned into a hallucinogenic fucked-up fever dream. It reminded me of the Do-Long bridge sequence in "Apocalypse Now," when it really sinks in how crazy everyone has become and how far removed from the mores and standards of civilization they are.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192April 24, 2018 2:11 PM

r191 Seems like cutting your tongue out in a special ritual gives you some kind of control over the creature. Remember her father was also tongueless when he died.

Regarding Hickey touching the brain... I assume having someone with his brain exposed and still breathing would seem almost magical back then and he just couldn't resist the curiosity of it all. The two naked guys in a pot of water were just having a warm bath, that's all. That would be hard to come by on a ship as you need to waste a lot of fuel for a big fire.

The doctor set the carnival aflame because he was already experiencing mental confusion himself (mixing Greek and Latin) and he knew far worse would be ahead of them so he though hight as well spare them all the suffering.

by Anonymousreply 193April 24, 2018 2:12 PM

*he thought he might as well

by Anonymousreply 194April 24, 2018 2:13 PM

Q&A with the adorable Goodsir.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195April 24, 2018 2:15 PM

[quote] My gripes with this are that the Asshole Doctor and the Nice Doctor look too much alike

Actually, this adds to my confusion with the show.

So many of the characters look alike, especially because they're all wearing sailor coats, they all have beards, and they all have dirty faces! Put them in parkas out in the blowing snow, and I honestly cannot tell one person from the other.

The only thing differentiating one person from the other at this point, are their names. The faces look much too similar.

by Anonymousreply 196April 24, 2018 2:19 PM

[quote]My gripes with this are that the Asshole Doctor and the Nice Doctor look too much alike

One has sideburns and dark hair, while the other is clean-shaven and blond. Perhaps you had someone else in mind?

But yeah, it's automatically harder to make everyone distinct from each other when the whole crew is male and white.

by Anonymousreply 197April 24, 2018 2:24 PM

Do we know the guy Hickey stabbed when slicing open the tent? It wasn't his bf Billy was it?

I need to adjust the color on my tv because this episode was so dark I had trouble seeing what was going on.

by Anonymousreply 198April 24, 2018 3:01 PM

No, it wasn't his boyfriend but it also wasn't some random sailor either.

by Anonymousreply 199April 24, 2018 3:03 PM

R198 it looked like Mr. Collins, the guy who went to the doctor to discuss his "mental problems."

The doctor told him to go to the Carnival to ease his mind, and he ended up getting stabbed to death.

That sucks!

by Anonymousreply 200April 24, 2018 3:05 PM

Wouldn't it be nice if there was an option to have name cards hover around characters in TV shows? I feel like in 2018 with the AI and the computing power at our disposal, that could definitely be done on the cheap.

by Anonymousreply 201April 24, 2018 3:06 PM

r200 No, it definitely wasn't Mr Collins either! He made it out alive.

by Anonymousreply 202April 24, 2018 3:07 PM

R201, Closed Captioning often cites who is speaking, along with the text of the dialogue, so you can always use that for reference.

I tell you, CC is REALLY helpful with these types of shows.

I find myself using it more and more often.

by Anonymousreply 203April 24, 2018 3:13 PM

R197 You're forgetting a doctor. There were actually three "medical professionals" on the ships. The older, asshole doctor who lit the fire (Dr. Stanley, name from IMDb), a younger, nice doctor who looked like a younger version of the asshole doctor (Dr. McDonald), and Mr. Goodsir, the loveable dark-haired muttonchopped fellow. Goodsir isn't technically a doctor according to their Victorian standards, more of an assistant.

And for those who missed it, it was the second, younger doctor who was stabbed by Hickey through the tent. Which makes the stabbing doubly terrible because now they've lost all of their doctors but Goodsir.

Here's a recap that spells it all out.

"As the only crew member outside of the tent before it was set ablaze, Hickey manages to help tear open a new exit, but it’s at the cost of McDonald, who fails to step far enough away from the fabric before Hickey puts his knife through it. For those of you keeping track, this means that Goodsir is now the only doctor, though Bridgens offers to help in whatever way he can. "

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204April 24, 2018 4:07 PM

Oh, right, I had completely forgotten about the assistant. That one did look like the asshole doctor. Bad casting. Or perhaps intentional; a Mini-Me sort of thing.

by Anonymousreply 205April 24, 2018 4:28 PM

It was Dr. MacDonald (the nice Dr.) who Hickey eviscerated. His assistant surgeon, whose name I can't remember (he was a background character and didn't have any, or very few, lines), also died in the fire.

The juxtaposition of relationships between Bridgens and Peglar (the book exchange guys) and Hickey and Gibson is quite interesting. When Hickey and Gibson's relationship was introduced, I was struck by just how little chemistry and lack of respect there was between the two of them. At first I thought something was amiss in the acting or directing, but it's clear now it was intentional. The love and tenderness between the other two men stands in sharp contrast to the relationship of convenience (at least from Hickey's end, IMO) of Hickey and Gibson (who is clearly dickmatized to be helping the man who SHIT in his bed).

by Anonymousreply 206April 24, 2018 5:28 PM

A commenter at the AV Club said that in the book, the other drama-free couple were ex-lovers who stayed close friends after no longer being involved romantically.

by Anonymousreply 207April 24, 2018 5:43 PM

Even in real life, those guys all sort of looked alike and I would have had a hard time telling them apart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208April 24, 2018 6:56 PM

Was it Collins who caught Hickey and Gibson together in episode 2 or 3? I can't remember.

by Anonymousreply 209April 24, 2018 7:25 PM

Irving, I think r209.

by Anonymousreply 210April 24, 2018 8:41 PM

[quote] who looked like a younger version of the asshole doctor (Dr. McDonald),

McDonald is played by Charles Edwards, better known as Michael Gregson in Downtown Abbey (Lady Edith's suitor who got her pregnant and vanished in Germany).

by Anonymousreply 211April 24, 2018 9:22 PM

ups, of course Downton Abbey.

by Anonymousreply 212April 24, 2018 9:23 PM

It's customary on DL to post this whenever someone makes that mistake, r211. Nothing personal, you understand.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213April 24, 2018 9:33 PM

Just watched the finale and wow, just wow.

by Anonymousreply 214April 25, 2018 12:47 AM

Where can you watch episodes 7-10?

by Anonymousreply 215April 25, 2018 12:59 AM

Was it a hack like Game of Thrones last year? Or have they actually been released on a legitimate platform?

by Anonymousreply 216April 25, 2018 1:01 AM

r96 said they were all available on their streaming platform.

by Anonymousreply 217April 25, 2018 1:09 AM

Great, thanks!

by Anonymousreply 218April 25, 2018 1:22 AM

All pasty white guys with muttonchops look alike to me

by Anonymousreply 219April 25, 2018 2:53 AM

A haunting account of Inuits encountering the last survivors of the Franklin expedition.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220April 25, 2018 3:47 AM

So, who has any info/gossip about Tobias Menzies (Fitzjames), Paul Ready (Goodsir), Adam Nagailis (Hickey), or Liam Garrigan (Jopson)? Any of them family? They're all pretty cute.

I'm going to be sad when these guys get offed on the show. ( Maybe not Hickey- depends how his character develops.)

by Anonymousreply 221April 25, 2018 3:54 PM

I don’t think the doctor’s murderous breakdown was sufficiently telegraphed or motivated. Perhaps I missed some past hints. Like others, I find it difficult to keep track of the characters.

by Anonymousreply 222April 25, 2018 4:04 PM

I thought it was telegraphed just enough and also perfectly suited to his character. He was an extremely restrained person so him mixing up Latin and Greek would be the equivalent of that patient of his feeling suicidal. He was not about to let his cognitive functions decline even further when his mental faculties were the (sole) reason he was on that ship in the first place.

As for his motivations... he didn't want the crew to suffer further, which tells you a lot about how they looked at mental illness at the time. He even told his patient he has no remedy for an illness of the mind and it seemed to me he was scared shitless of something like that ever arising under his watch.

I still don't know if that arson was the result of a breakdown or not. It just seemed too neatly executed for something a person in the middle of a nervous breakdown would do.

by Anonymousreply 223April 25, 2018 4:41 PM

[quote] He was not about to let his cognitive functions decline even further when his mental faculties were the (sole) reason he was on that ship in the first place.

But Goodsir told him what the problem was, so it seems as though it would have been an easy fix for the doctor.

The way his scenes played out, it seems to me to be more of a case of EGO, rather than intelligence.

The doctor seemed annoyed that Goodsir was doing research on his own, and when he transferred to the other ship, the doctor sarcastically said, "do invite us to the wedding," referring to Goodsir's interest in the Eski woman.

He also made reference to Goodsir "already being a doctor," when he transferred to the other ship.

The doctor seemed jealous of Goodsir's intellectual curiousity, as well as knowledge.

Goodsir came to him and flat out said, THIS IS THE CAUSE of the problems, and the doctor completely ignored him. That was all about ego, not about mental faculties or intelligence.

The doctor was just an asshole, plain and simple.

by Anonymousreply 224April 25, 2018 4:56 PM

And when Goodsir replied "Have you ever been invited to a wedding?" that was the first time Dr. Stanley got buuuuuuurned!

by Anonymousreply 225April 25, 2018 9:50 PM

R224, but it wasn't an easy fix. All their canned food, which makes up the bulk of their provisions, is tainted, and they don't have access to more. They don't know how to hunt or fish to best effect in the arctic, and they're too arrogant and bigoted to learn from the indigenous people, who've only lived there for thousands of years!

They've all been ingesting lead for years, so a lot of damage is already done and can't be undone. Dr. Stanley didn't have a clue how to treat mental illness; he wasn't capable of dealing with the crisis because of that blind spot (if he can't operate or cure it with drugs, it's not medicine). Even if he was, they lacked the resources to do anything about it. Basically, he saw no way out and came to the conclusion it would be a mercy to kill them all now and spare them a slow agonizing death.

It was Dr. MacDonald, Terror's doctor, who told Harry he sounded like a doctor. When Collins said he was looking for Dr. Goodsir, Dr. Stanley corrected him, said he was "Mr. Goodsir".

R223, I agree. They telegraphed it just enough. It was subtle, but intentional, I think, and fits Dr. Stanley's restrained, rigid nature. I remember, when he mixed up his Latin and Greek, thinking, "Ah, he's being affected too." That's actually one of my favorite things about this show. Every detail matters. You could watch it ten times and pick up something new every time. The writers not only respect the audience's intelligence, they invite you to look closer, dig deeper. It's one of the best written shows I've seen, and the cast is amazing. If there's any justice in this world it will be showered with awards, but it probably won't be.

by Anonymousreply 226April 26, 2018 5:44 AM

Not all of the men were bigoted, but most were, befitting the times. I was referring more to what Lady Silence said. "Even if I could help you, you don't want it." They can't think outside their own hubris to bridge the cultural divide. If Francis had asked her why Tuunbaq was killing them instead of demanding how to kill it, for example, she might have been more forthcoming with information. It doesn't even occur to him there might be other ways of understanding and dealing with Tuunbaq.

Now they need her people's help and are ready to listen, but it's too late. Their needs are too great for the environment to support, especially starting from zero.

by Anonymousreply 227April 26, 2018 6:25 AM

Tobias Menzies -- Not dead yet!

by Anonymousreply 228April 26, 2018 10:59 PM

Interview with Nive Nielsen. Loving what I've heard of her band so far.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229April 27, 2018 9:16 PM

r229 Wonderful interview, thanks. Loved her in this show. I'd very much like to see more Inuit and other native peoples' stories on my TV, contemporary or otherwise. But I'd also like those stories to be presented from their point of view or at least for that view to be in the forefront.

by Anonymousreply 230April 27, 2018 9:43 PM

Do NOT go to Tumblr if you want to avoid spoilers for the rest of the season. I went there to see what kind of reception the show has gotten, and to see if anyone is shipping the gay couples yet. Answer is yes, but not the couple that I thought. Instead of Bridgens & Peglar being the dominant ship, I was surprised to see more of Crozier & Fitzjames. Not my thing, but hey, it's a free country.

Unfortunately, I also saw some pics that showed some stuff that I'd rather have not known until I was watching the episode. So, steer clear.

by Anonymousreply 231April 27, 2018 11:48 PM

Made the same mistake, r231. It wasn't that bad initially, a vague gifset here and there. I guess they can't contain themselves any longer.

Anyway, cutie!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232April 29, 2018 1:56 AM

He is pretty cute. How old is he 26, 27?

by Anonymousreply 233April 29, 2018 3:11 AM

I want to see Adam Nagaitis in a lot more things now (hopefully any future bum shots will be without the streaks of blood). He was terrific in this and I'd not seen him in anything before. He is very fetching, too. I was attracted to Hickey even when he was being despicable.

by Anonymousreply 234April 29, 2018 4:31 AM

I just caught the marathon on AMC, and episodes 1 and 2 were spectacular.

I missed them the first time around, and now everything has clicked into place.

This really is an amazing series.

by Anonymousreply 235April 29, 2018 5:12 AM

Here's a portrait of Sir James Ross, who led the expedition to Antarctica and who almost got his head split in by his crewmembers.

He was quite a dandy, lol.

Captains Crozier and Ross were also best friends, according to Ross' wiki page.

I am absolutely fascinated by the history of these expeditions, after watching this show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236April 29, 2018 3:44 PM

Me too, R236. I've become completely obsessed! I'm reading the book about the excavations of the first three guys to die. The show got Torrington's burial spot-on! Details like that are what really hooked me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237April 29, 2018 4:30 PM

Sir James Ross is a different explorer, R236. His character is the one who's speaking with the Inuit man in the first scene of the first episode, and the man who stood up with Crozier in the theater. The man Blanky mentioned, Sir John Ross, is the guy with gray hair who was questioning Sir John Franklin about his rescue plan (or lack thereof) in episode 3. He warned Franklin his men would turn devil against him, starting with the ones closest to him.

by Anonymousreply 238April 29, 2018 5:18 PM

Yeah, it's a great series and I totally see now why AMC went all out on its promotion overseas. They knew they had a gem here. I probably would never have clicked on this thread had I not seen that bus stop poster.

Of course, the more sinister explanation would be that they thought the series would be very palatable to Europeans as the cast is all-white. As you can see, I don't much like marketing people.

by Anonymousreply 239April 29, 2018 5:37 PM

I love the show, too r239. It's quickly become one of my all time favorites. I wish there was more discussion about it, here and elsewhere; it's so multilayered, it's practically made for in depth examination. The series deserves the kind of audience The Walking Dead takes for granted.

by Anonymousreply 240April 29, 2018 5:58 PM

Heads up everybody. The Kindle edition of "The Terror" novel is on sale at Amazon today only (Sunday) for $3.

by Anonymousreply 241April 29, 2018 8:27 PM

Excellent, r241, thanks!

by Anonymousreply 242April 29, 2018 10:49 PM

Careful about reading the book before the series is over, R242. It's a non-linear narrative and early on made references to events which haven't happened yet on the show, at least at the time I started reading it. I've since set it aside till I've watched the last episode. Apparently they've made a few changes from the book, but it's similar enough I don't want to take the risk of being spoiled any more than I already have been.

Thanks for the warning, r231. I had a similar thing happen in the YouTube comments. For the most part, people have been respectful of viewers watching in real time, but there's always some ass who blurts major details without spoiler alerts. I suspect this is going to become more and more common as the streaming market continues to grow. By releasing entire seasons at one time to subscribers, it puts pressure on broadcast viewers to pony up if they don't want to be spoiled. Networks and streaming services are playing the long game here.

by Anonymousreply 243April 29, 2018 11:27 PM

Has the show gotten decent ratings? I know the first episode did,probably because the Walking Dead lead in, but it's such a good show I want it to do well.

I rewatched a couple episodes last night and it's amazing how much I missed the first time around. Especially knowing who everyone was. I'm eager to see the last four episodes, but I know it's going to be emotional. Mary, I know, but I like these guys (most of them...)

Are the dog and cat still around? I don't think I've seen them for a while.

by Anonymousreply 244April 29, 2018 11:30 PM

[quote] Has the show gotten decent ratings?

AMC is running commercials for "The Terror," stating that it is the #1 new show on cable television, which is pretty significant. They mentioned something like over 30,000,000 viewers.

The only other show to post those kind of numbers, was "The Alienist."

Thankfully, both of these shows were on my "must watch" list, so I seem to be in the majority, in terms of what viewers want to watch.

Which is probably bad news for The Walking Dead, because it used to be on my "must watch" list, and now I absolutely HATE the show. Which is also in line with the ratings.

I should be a Nielsen family!

by Anonymousreply 245April 29, 2018 11:35 PM

I wonder where the 30M figure is coming from. The sources I've seen have it holding steady at around 1M viewers. Maybe the other 29 include international and streaming viewers?

by Anonymousreply 246April 29, 2018 11:40 PM

I also enjoyed the Alienist and was glad that The Terror came around right after to fill the void when Alienist was done.

I don't watch much tv, but I enjoy these 10 episode series. I like they have a beginning, middle, and end.

by Anonymousreply 247April 29, 2018 11:47 PM

The cat(s?) and dog are still around, r244. I actually dread seeing them again, because you know they're going to end up on somebody's dinner plate. :( I agree the show is even better with upon rewatch; the level of detail is pretty astounding.

I only watched the last 5 episodes of The Alienist, r247, but I thought they were pretty great too. I don't normally pick up shows midway through, particularly ones which tell a complete story, but it was playing in the background one night and was so good I got sucked in right away. I really wish I could have seen the whole thing. Kept waiting for a marathon so I could catch up, but I must have missed it and now they're not showing it at all.

by Anonymousreply 248April 30, 2018 12:03 AM

Here's another website with a different ratings figure. According to it, the show currently has about 1.5M viewers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249April 30, 2018 12:14 AM

[quote]Has the show gotten decent ratings?

April 24: AMC’s “The Terror” scored just outside of the top 25 Monday cable shoes for the second week in a row, despite ticking up just slightly from a 0.2 to a 0.3 this time around, with 923,000 viewers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250April 30, 2018 1:34 PM

Very much enjoying The Terror, but I don't know anyone else who watches it, nor can I convince anyone to.

by Anonymousreply 251April 30, 2018 5:50 PM

[quote] Are the dog and cat still around? I don't think I've seen them for a while.

How shall I put this, R244....

by Anonymousreply 252April 30, 2018 8:23 PM

The long march starts on tonight's episode.

I have a feeling that this is where it's gonna get gruesome, according to the spoilers on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 253April 30, 2018 8:23 PM

I think the cat and dog are going to be a pre-trip meal. I just hope the show is subtle about it. I don't really want to see them getting butchered.

by Anonymousreply 254May 1, 2018 12:04 AM

This show is going to leave me depressed I just know it. No more parties or soccer for these guys. It's all downhill from here!

by Anonymousreply 255May 1, 2018 12:07 AM

Damn Jopson's good looking. He has great eyes.

by Anonymousreply 256May 1, 2018 1:55 AM

[quote] Damn Jopson's good looking

I still think he has the hts for Capt. Crozier.

Jopson lovingly nursed him back to health.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257May 1, 2018 1:58 AM

Dang, Hickey is savage... and nuts.

by Anonymousreply 258May 1, 2018 2:10 AM

Adam Naugatis (sp?) is NAILING it as Hickey. Wow. The way he's always smiling is the perfect way to play this guy. He's going to fuck this shit up waaay more than it was already fucked. Damn you, Hickey

by Anonymousreply 259May 1, 2018 2:11 AM

[quote]The man Blanky mentioned, Sir John Ross, is the guy with gray hair who was questioning Sir John Franklin about his rescue plan (or lack thereof) in episode 3

Also known as the Blackfish

by Anonymousreply 260May 1, 2018 2:20 AM

Oh, that's where I know him from! Thanks r260. He looked familiar, but I never looked him up.

So from GoT we have Edmure Tully, Bryndon "Blackfish" Tully, and Mace Rayder (Ciaran Hinds). Anyone else?

by Anonymousreply 261May 1, 2018 2:29 AM

Who was the older guy with Hickey in his tent? The one he gave the meat to. I thought he was an officer, but I didn't see him at the meeting with the other officers. Was that meeting only for senior officers? How many officers are there left?

He seemed annoyed when Hickey told him Jopson was promoted, so I guess he thought it should have been him. And that's partly why he's joined in with Hickey.

by Anonymousreply 262May 1, 2018 3:58 AM

Fun fact:

Mt. Erebus in Antarctica was named after the "Erebus" ship, and it's the second highest mountain on the continent.

It's also an active volcano.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263May 1, 2018 4:13 AM

Why does the Eski woman keep following the British?

First she cuts off her tongue, then she shows up at Carnivale, and now she's making the trek with them. I don't get it.

She hated them at first, and then even ran away after the Tuunbaq attacked.

Now all of a sudden, she's following them around? Please explain.

by Anonymousreply 264May 1, 2018 4:41 AM

Now that Mr. Hickey has become such a bad guy, I'm kind of annoyed that they made him the gay character.

The plotting, scheming, villainous gay character. That really sucks.

by Anonymousreply 265May 1, 2018 4:55 AM

R262 that was Lt Hodgson. He was also the officer who signs up the "real" Hickey when they're hiring the crew, and then assigns the fake Hickey we know and love his bunk when the ship was getting ready to set sail.

R265, we have the true love and affection between Peglar and Bridgens to counter Hickey's evilness. Also, the author, Dan Simmons, has said that he didn't necessarily consider Hickey gay, just an opportunist. They were on that ship a long time. But in interviews, Nagaitis said that he and the producers/writers did play Hickey's affair with Gibson as a real romance, and that Hickey does feel slighted by Gibson's rejection.

by Anonymousreply 266May 1, 2018 4:58 AM

[quote] we have the true love and affection between Peglar and Bridgens to counter Hickey's evilness

But they kind of made him out to be a gay serial killer. I know that sounds crazy, but that's what it looks like, as far as I can see.

by Anonymousreply 267May 1, 2018 5:08 AM

The Terror Q&A — Adam Nagaitis (Cornelius Hickey).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268May 1, 2018 5:11 AM

I've seen all of it and didn't see anything gruesome happen to the dog or cat, just the monkey.

by Anonymousreply 269May 1, 2018 6:41 AM

I want to see Adam N play Richard III now.

by Anonymousreply 270May 1, 2018 12:16 PM

This episode was absolutely fantastic.

At first I thought that the Hickey at the beginning of the episode was just a younger version of the current Hickey, so thank you to the person who mentioned that the current Hickey stole the younger one's identity, and also for pointing out that the Lt. when he boarded was the Lt. that he killed.

Hickey had quite a bit of dialogue during this episode, but the scene in the tent where he tried to convince Armitage to be the new Captain was so dark and menacing, but also quite mesmerizing. Beyond the acting, I think that the writing is superb, as well.

So what was up with the heads in the snow? Were they attacked, or did they eat each other, and only the heads were left?

Also, the desolation of the Canadian Arctic is incredible. Just looking at those miles and miles of nothing but rock, was surreal. No trees, or anything. Just rocks, ice, and snow. It really gave you a sense of how alone and isolated these people really were.

For me, each episode just gets better, and better.

by Anonymousreply 271May 1, 2018 12:20 PM

Where was The Terror filmed?

The series was filmed on the Croatian island of Pag and in Budapest, Hungary.

Pag’s barren landscape was used to replicate the frozen wasteland in the show .

Filming took place in Budapest and two replicas of the ships were made — one set showed the interior of the ships and the other was the deck and higher levels.

Ian Hart, who plays Ice Master Thomas Blanky, joked that the set’s low ceilings caused a few banged heads.

“It’s really small — we had two ships, we had an above deck ship and a below deck ship.

“The below deck ship was scaled slightly bigger to allow for cameras, but even so it was still a hazard.”

Adam Nagaitis, who plays Cornelius Hickey remarked that the real life conditions must have been “miserable”.

“Imagine the smell, it must have just been miserable!”

The set itself was kept very cold in order to convey the freezing arctic conditions on screen.

“It got as low as minus 15 at one point Nagaitis said.”

Jared Harris and Tobias Menzies, who plays Officer James FitzJames, joked that they didn’t need to act cold because it actually was cold.

“We practised our cold acting but we didn’t need it,” Menzies joked.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272May 1, 2018 1:07 PM

Amazing how much the location looks like the real place.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273May 1, 2018 1:17 PM

Anyone know what was the significance of the initials "EC" that were carved into that chest that Crozier closed just before leaving the ship? He stared at it for a second, like it held a memory for him.

by Anonymousreply 274May 1, 2018 3:12 PM

Well, my early prediction that Hickey would start off bad and then reform and become a helpful hero to the crew was way off. Dude's a bad egg.

I also thought James Fitzjames would be a total pompous, dandy asshole type who would be the first main character to get killed. But he's turned out to be an alright guy and is still kicking!

I have a feeling I know how my prediction of Mr. Goodsir surviving will go...

by Anonymousreply 275May 1, 2018 3:24 PM

R274 Pretty sure the intials were for Hickey's real identity. He was marking himself on the ship.

[quote]Hickey had quite a bit of dialogue during this episode, but the scene in the tent where he tried to convince Armitage to be the new Captain was so dark and menacing, but also quite mesmerizing

No, that wasn't Armitage, R271, it was Hodgson. who was also the officer who signed up the original Hickey. Irving was the one who gave Hickey shit for being gay, and told him to purify himself through hobbies, lol, and that was who Hickey stabbed to death at the end of the episode.

I was so mesmerized by this show I had to go and find all the leaked episodes, I couldn't wait. I've watched the whole thing 3 times now (I can identify them all). Its just so fucking good. The next episode is absolutely insane. My favorite show of the year, easy, there's no way anything can top it.

The link has a good breakdown of the episode with all characters names.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 276May 2, 2018 12:38 AM

Love the show but have a LOT of trouble telling the characters apart, especially with one week in between episodes.

by Anonymousreply 277May 2, 2018 9:59 PM

[quote]Love the show but have a LOT of trouble telling the characters apart, especially with one week in between episodes.

I have the same problem.

by Anonymousreply 278May 2, 2018 11:17 PM

Book readers- was Captain Fitzjames gay? Was the scene with him holding up the dress supposed to allude to that? I read one letter he wrote to a man and he ended it with something like 'yours forever'... Perhaps that was just a common closing for the time, but maybe it was touched upon in the book. (or in the last 3 episodes)

by Anonymousreply 279May 2, 2018 11:30 PM

R279 Still making my way through the first quarter of the book so I can't offer much insight aside from Crozier's bitter description of him as Franklin's "rosy-cheeked lisping pet poodle".

According to the handful of history nerds that make up tumblr's Terror fandom, that scene may have been a reference to a drag performance he put on for his crewmates earlier in his career.

by Anonymousreply 280May 3, 2018 4:35 PM

I'd thought all along that Hickey was just an opportunist. I did NOT see that coming.

Anyone else read Ian MacGuire's novel "The North Sea" about a 19th-c. whaling expedition in the same region? It's got a similar, if more obvious, psychopath.

by Anonymousreply 281May 3, 2018 6:06 PM

Hickey might have started as an opportunist. Lead poisoning can cause psychosis.

by Anonymousreply 282May 3, 2018 6:19 PM

Collins is ready to eat some people! I wonder who will go first?

by Anonymousreply 283May 3, 2018 6:37 PM

I want to hate Hickey but.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284May 3, 2018 7:21 PM

Hickey is a pocket gay

by Anonymousreply 285May 4, 2018 2:05 AM

I sort of regret watching the whole series once it leaked, because now I miss it desperately and am living through this thread (and others elsewhere.)

On the other hand, I don't know if I can bring myself to watch it over again because it's all so damned brutal. Help me!

by Anonymousreply 286May 5, 2018 5:38 PM

Do it, R286. I've watched it several times and I was riveted each viewing. Knowing how it ends makes it even more depressing, yes, but damn that ending is amazing.

by Anonymousreply 287May 5, 2018 7:12 PM

I've only seen the first 7 eps, but I wish this was on Netflix so I could rip the Band Aid off and see them all at once. I know I'm going to be depressed after the last episode, but I still have 3 weeks to go to get there :(

Good show. I hope it gets some Emmy nominations. Definitely for Hicky for supporting actor and Crozier for lead actor.

by Anonymousreply 288May 5, 2018 8:44 PM

Two questions:

If the crew made their march in April, why were the ships still stuck and why was there so much ice? It's supposed to be warming up.

Also, how in the hell did these guys keep warm in weather that was -20 and -30 degrees, with no central heating or anything? I'd be freezing my ass off in 50 degree weather!

by Anonymousreply 289May 6, 2018 12:17 AM

The expedition was unlucky, r289. At the time of the actual mission, the region was entering a 5-6 year period of much colder temperatures. Basically, there was no thaw for years, but the Brits had no way of knowing that when they set out.

I saw a diagram of one of the actual ships, and it looks like they had a series of pipes which ran throughout, bringing heat to the berthing areas from the coal they burned to power the steam engines. Apparently it wouldn't warm it much by our standards, and some areas inside the ship remained freezing cold, but I would imagine if it's 20-50 below, temperatures just above freezing felt positively balmy.

by Anonymousreply 290May 6, 2018 12:58 AM

Thanks, R290!

by Anonymousreply 291May 6, 2018 1:10 AM

Adam spam.

(So nice to have thread in this whole place where we can appreciate a ginger.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292May 6, 2018 1:27 AM

New episode tonight!

by Anonymousreply 293May 7, 2018 8:25 PM

Just look at that body.

It's perfection.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294May 7, 2018 8:28 PM

What makes "Mr. Hickey" so disarming is that he has a sweet face and smile, masking the darkness underneath.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295May 7, 2018 8:29 PM

I found a site that has the last 3 episodes for download and I'm so torn - do I wait and watch real-time or binge them. I want to do both!

by Anonymousreply 296May 7, 2018 8:47 PM

Damn, I wish I was on the set for this!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 297May 7, 2018 9:24 PM

Look at the guys in the background. I can't believe that none of them were sneaking a peek at Adam's beautiful bum!

A couple of them do appear to be smirking, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298May 7, 2018 9:31 PM

His arms.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 299May 7, 2018 9:35 PM

He sure has shown a lot of skin in this series.

Other than the skinny kid who died in the first or second episode,I think Hickey has been the only guy who has.

I would like some Jopson ass in the next episode, please.

by Anonymousreply 300May 7, 2018 10:50 PM

[quote] I would like some Jopson ass in the next episode, please

So would I!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 301May 8, 2018 12:59 AM

So many questions: Who or what killed the Eski folk? Was it supposedly Hickey - how could he murder that many people? Was it supposed to have been that other team of three who split off? But I didn't see any blood from them getting shot nor trauma to suggest that the bear got them.... very confused. Gotta say that CGI creature is very badly rendered and not scary. Sayonara, Collins... but what was that effect on his face as he was getting mauled?

Was Hickey telling the truth about Crozier - was he going to ditch the crew?

by Anonymousreply 302May 8, 2018 2:04 AM

I thought the Eskimos were shot by the marines. Hickey came back to the ćamp and told them what happened (his bullshit version which was that the eskimos killed Lt. Irving and Farr(?) ) and they went out and shot them all. THe blond guy told Crozier this at the beginning of the episode. I don't know his name. (But I believe he later joined Hickey's mutiny party).

I may be wrong there, but I don't think Hickey killed them all. He was too busy mutilating Irving and Farr.

He was charged with their deaths b/c his lies were what caused the marines to kill the Eskimos.

Crozier should have just shot the fucker rather than give that speech and then let Hickey speak.

by Anonymousreply 303May 8, 2018 2:34 AM

I took the squiggly Collins face to be the monster sort of absorbing his spirit/soul/essence whatever you want to call it. Monster doesn't just eat people, it eats souls.

by Anonymousreply 304May 8, 2018 2:37 AM

Interview with Matthew Mcnulty who plays Lt. Little. He answered a question I had - which was who was second in command to captain Crozer on the Terror in the beginning? Lt. Little was. I need to rewatch the first few episodes for sure. I missed a lot.

This was the first episode where he stood out enough to me that I remembered his name. He messed up by listening to Tozier and giving out the guns, but he knows that. Francis was pissed at him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 305May 8, 2018 2:55 AM

I had no idea that Matthew McNulty was even on this show! I absolutely love him, but did not recognize him.

I'm going to have to take a closer look.

by Anonymousreply 306May 8, 2018 3:39 AM

So can we assume that the fake Mr. Hickey killed the real (younger) Mr. Hickey who first applied to go on the expedition?

Otherwise, how did he obtain the paperwork.

I'm sad that he turned out to be such a bad guy.

by Anonymousreply 307May 8, 2018 4:18 AM

If course Hckey killed them all. I don't think I've hated a character more, ever.

by Anonymousreply 308May 8, 2018 4:47 AM

That's the way I feel about him too, R308.

He's despicable.

by Anonymousreply 309May 8, 2018 4:57 AM

Hickey didn't kill the Eskimo. After he killed Farr and Irvin he ran to find the other hunting group. He brought them back to show them the mutilated bodies. They then tracked the Eski and basically shot them on sight. Hodgson said he killed two, Mr. Armitage killed two, and Mr. Pocock shot one. One managed to escape.

They were all worried about that one telling his people what happened and they feared retaliation. That's why many people was so scared in the camp and wanted to be armed.

After Crozier ordered Irving's stomach contents examined and they found the seal meat, Hodgson realized that Hickey lied to him and the Eski weren't enemies- they had fed Irving, they were helping. Then he felt bad about murdering them.

by Anonymousreply 310May 8, 2018 2:09 PM

Yes r307 hickey killed the real Mr. Hickey and took his place on the ship.

I can't wait to see how he gets killed. He definitely deserves it.

by Anonymousreply 311May 8, 2018 2:12 PM

Hickey’s just misunderstood.

by Anonymousreply 312May 8, 2018 2:36 PM

I watched all episodes on Amazon Prime. I listened to the novel as an audiobook when it came out years ago and didn't really like it. And I can't say I really enjoyed the show either. In the end I ended up fast-forwarding through the last three episodes since I couldn't imagine spending more time with it. ***SPOILER*** For some reason I don't remember Hickey being the complete psycho asshole in the novel. Was he really this bad? The show's Hickey is certainly one of the most despicable cunts in the history of entertainment. His departure certainly was satisfying. ***SPOILER***

I understand why people love the novel and the show as well. My problems with the novel came because I'd loved the author Dan Simmons' earlier Hyperion series which was pure sci-fi. I felt The Terror was watered down sci-fi as an attempt from Simmons to get recognition as a serious fiction writer. And it certainly didn't help he made the one of the biggest baddies of the novel gay.

BTW, Simmons regularly showed how extremely cruel humans and other creatures, and their societies, can be in Hyperion. The Terror didn't really bring anything new to the table but that's obviously just my opinion. I understand its beauty, both in the novel and in the show, but there's still something extremely tedious about them I find almost unbearable.

by Anonymousreply 313May 8, 2018 3:27 PM

I was happy to see Bridgens and Peglar get a few minutes of screen time; they're the one bright spot in this whole sad story. Whatever was happening on Peglar's arm was nasty looking. Bridgens seemed alarmed by those bruises, like it was something he wasn't expecting to see. He knows about the lead, so if it was related to that, I think his reaction wouldn't have been so shocked. I looked up the symptoms of lead poisoning and didn't see that bruising is a giveaway. If it's something else, I wonder what. Fitzjames wasn't looking any too spiffy either.

by Anonymousreply 314May 8, 2018 7:28 PM

Google let me know that malnutrition can cause severe bruising.

by Anonymousreply 315May 8, 2018 7:30 PM

They all have scurvy to some extent or another.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 316May 8, 2018 7:32 PM

So did the Eski woman send the creature to kill all the men in the camp?

They hadn't seen the creature the whole time she was with them, then when she was sent away, it returned.

She was controlling it, wasn't she?

I wish that the creature wasn't a part of the show. It somewhat takes away from what otherwise is an epic mini-series. The creature just seems a bit cheesy. Especially since the rest of the details of the show are basically factual.

by Anonymousreply 317May 8, 2018 7:33 PM

When we saw Hickey stripped and straddling that guy he'd killed, did anyone else think for a moment that he'd gone over to necrophilia?

by Anonymousreply 318May 8, 2018 7:35 PM

I thought Hickey was "feeding" the guy on the ground, r318.

by Anonymousreply 319May 8, 2018 7:45 PM

Yeah, Hickey lost his mind after he killed the first guy.

I mean, why did he strip off all his clothes? And then he savagely attacked the Leftenant, stabbing him multiple times, and making some weird faces afterwards. It was as if he was a crazy person.

Somehow, he regained his sanity back at camp, but those dark undertones were still there. Especially when he was being held prisoner by Jopson, prior to the hanging.

Btw, what was that scene all about? I was thinking that it was significant, but maybe not. Was he just testing Jopson, or what?

by Anonymousreply 320May 8, 2018 7:50 PM

He stripped down so he wouldn't get blood on his clothes. Our Hickey is a clever bastard.

by Anonymousreply 321May 8, 2018 7:59 PM

Collins made me laugh how he got high on the cocaine/wine combo and then just wandered around in euphoria. Might as well, right? At least he was feeling good until the creature got him.

by Anonymousreply 322May 8, 2018 8:12 PM

Thank you for explaining that, R322.

I couldn't figure out why Collins was acting so weird. Duh. Now it makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 323May 8, 2018 8:14 PM

R317 I don't think Lady Silence sent the monster after the men. She wouldn't do that to them, even if some of them killed her people.

Im not sure to what degree she could control it, but it may be that just her presence with the group was preventing it from attacking the camp. When she was sent away, they were no longer protected. It cant be a coincidence that it didn't attack until she was no longer there, you're right about that.

by Anonymousreply 324May 8, 2018 8:23 PM

Lol that was one of my favorite parts, r322. Came cackling out of the fog like "Hey guys, look who's here!"

by Anonymousreply 325May 8, 2018 8:57 PM

I wish I could get a bottle of that 'Peruvian.'

by Anonymousreply 326May 8, 2018 9:01 PM

[quote] The creature just seems a bit cheesy. Especially since the rest of the details of the show are basically factual.

I think the demon bear was a lot more effective when they hardly showed it to us. For it to come rampaging into camp like a mad dog was definitely cheesy. However, I think it (and made-up events like the carnival fire) is a necessary device for killing off large numbers of men at a time. We know that in real life they all died, but would you really want to watch a show about 100+ men slowly starving to death?

by Anonymousreply 327May 8, 2018 9:50 PM

Damn I hated Hickey. I wanted to punch his smug and smirking face. It doesn't help that the guy who played him overdid those smug grins. Hickey was a well written character, especially how he "sweet talks" and manipulate people based on human nature and it's weaknesses . But towards the end the portrayal was just over the top.

I love that upper management was always onto him after the abduction fiasco. It makes the characters more intriguing.

Crozier was too unpragmatic at the end. All the talk of getting as many people to survive as possible was not going to happen with the ongoing poisoning by their food supplies. They are just dying a slow death. They should have put the ones beyond help down and made more progress.

Also what was up with the shots of the initialled boots? Were they implying Hickey stole them from the graves of the dead Franklin?

by Anonymousreply 328May 8, 2018 10:26 PM

R328 those of us watching on tv have only seen up to episode 8. You're talking of episodes some of us haven't seen yet. You didn't give major spoilers, but we're not all finished with the series and don't want to be spoiled. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 329May 8, 2018 11:40 PM

I wasn't familiar with Matthew Mcnulty (Lt. Little) but after a google search, I see he cleans up nice!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 330May 9, 2018 12:16 AM

***SPOILERS***

R328 JF would be Captain James Fitzjames in that case, not John Franklin. Franklins leg and boot got buried way back near the boats.

by Anonymousreply 331May 9, 2018 12:22 AM

***Spoilers***

Thanks r331. That would make more sense. If I remember correctly there were 2 shots of the boots. Once noticed by Goodsir and once by Crozier. There's also the strange biz of Lieutenant Little. Why was he found with that encampment and why his face had the tiny chains.

r302. Crozier wasn't abandoning them. He was in fact "sacrificing" himself to save the rest when Franklin wouldn't allow him to send a rescue group to make contact with the Hudson Bay Company. Sir John was still holding out hope for glory, that he would be the one to find the northwest passage instead of needing to be saved. Making a trek of such distance and in such environment there's a lot of uncertainty and risk. But as usual Hickey managed to twist it to suit his purpose.

Lady Silence didn't have enough experience to rein in the demon bear, thus they needed another shaman. So was she trying to protect them by camping near them? She could have gone back off to her own people. Some posters above observed that the bear did not attack the ships when she was onboard. But it did, the battle Blankey had with it occurred after Crozier had a meeting with her.

I do not think she subconsciously summoned the bear or controlled it to kill the crews. Her father appeared before David Young to try and warn them of the danger. And they are a peaceful, kind people. That bear was simply out of control.

by Anonymousreply 332May 9, 2018 12:14 PM

To add. The demon bear seems to want to protect lady Silence, bringing her seal for food. Maybe it can sense her distress too.

by Anonymousreply 333May 9, 2018 12:26 PM

***Spoilers***

My mistake about the initialled boots. It was featured when they were laying Fitzjames to rest. Not Mr Goodsir who saw it.

by Anonymousreply 334May 9, 2018 7:59 PM

If anyone was wondering what Dr. Goodsir said to Lady Silence when they parted, it was 'I'm sorry.'

I figured it was something like that. The show writer Soo said they left it unsubtitled because it was a private moment and they wanted the viewer to interpret it in their own way.

by Anonymousreply 335May 10, 2018 2:52 AM

r335, do you have a link to the interview? I'm curious what else she has to say.

by Anonymousreply 336May 10, 2018 4:28 AM

It was a twitter exchange between her and some fans. They guessed what he said and she confirmed it. Check it out here near the bottom of the page. Or at her twitter shugh100

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 337May 10, 2018 5:39 AM

Thanks, r335/r337!

You're welcome, r289/r291!

by Anonymousreply 338May 10, 2018 8:43 AM

From Indiewire.

‘The Terror’: Unpacking the Curious Identity of Cornelius Hickey, the Series’ Greatest Mystery Adam Nagaitis' performance as the series' creeping antagonist is as complex as the personal backstory the show let him write for himself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 339May 11, 2018 4:00 AM

Damn this show. That seagull is giving me false hope! Bridgens is about to get hella sad once Peglar dies :(

by Anonymousreply 340May 15, 2018 1:42 AM

How much time has gone by since the last episode? Did they say? Everyone's hair is way longer and Goodsir's beard has completely filled in. He looks so different from the Goodsir we knew and loved.

I'd say at least a month. Probably more like two.

Long time for the tuunbaq to be stalking but not attacking them.

by Anonymousreply 341May 15, 2018 1:48 AM

I knew there was something shifty about that young scout guy.. He was focused on way too much to be just another guy. Fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 342May 15, 2018 2:18 AM

Nine out of nine episodes now have an A attached to them. Crossing my fingers that the last one doesn't get a C or something.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 343May 15, 2018 1:51 PM

[quote] Nine out of nine episodes now have an A attached to them. Crossing my fingers that the last one doesn't get a C or something.

I'm guessing that the finale is going to go something like, "the polar bars eat everyone. the end."

by Anonymousreply 344May 15, 2018 1:56 PM

That scene of Capt. Crozier taking care of Jopson, was so touching.

What a turn of events, that the drunkard captain, ended up caring for the men who cared for him.

by Anonymousreply 345May 15, 2018 2:17 PM

I don't know whether anyone else here was a fan of the "Hannibal" tv series, but I was, and I just couldn't help thinking that Hickey is like the Anti-Hannibal. He just tells people straight to their faces that he's going to commit cannibalism, kills simply and in plain sight, and then he doesn't even bother to cook the meat! Damn, Hickey...get your shit together.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 346May 15, 2018 3:15 PM

Sorry, but all I could think of during the episode was this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 347May 15, 2018 3:19 PM

Do you think they'll have a Season 2?

by Anonymousreply 348May 15, 2018 4:06 PM

I was raised Catholic, so I also couldn't help thinking that Fitzjames was very Christ-like, offering up his body to save the men.

Though, would it be healthy to eat a scurvy-ridden corpse? Any doctors here?

by Anonymousreply 349May 15, 2018 4:28 PM

Scurvy isn't communicable. As long as you stay away from the brain matter, you should be fine.

by Anonymousreply 350May 15, 2018 4:33 PM

This episode was just one horrible spectacle after another, watching these great characters die painful deaths and watching Hickey smirk. At least he showed a little compassion when he tried to stop his ex from suffering, but later he's forcing Goodsir to dissect the same ex for dinner. Crozier was such a hero, tending to his men. I liked that Bridgens and Peglar got to end up together and say their goodbyes.

by Anonymousreply 351May 15, 2018 4:34 PM

R343, Sean for AV Club loves this show and the finale episode was amazing. Seriously doubt it will be getting less than an A. The final shot and the music haunted me for days. I hope no one considers that a spoiler.

by Anonymousreply 352May 15, 2018 5:34 PM

Aaaaand... Tobias Menzies dies again. Poor guy cannot make it through a TV series alive (except for the upcoming The Crown).

by Anonymousreply 353May 16, 2018 5:16 PM

Are we ever told what happened to the men who were left behind on the ship, in hopes that the ice would break and they'd be able to sail south?

by Anonymousreply 354May 16, 2018 7:21 PM

Just finished it, one thing I really enjoyed was hearing all those northern accents given fairly big speaking parts.

Normally on UK TV they're not heard much and usually only given a few lines, made it far more immersive for me haring familiar accents.

by Anonymousreply 355May 16, 2018 7:31 PM

🍴

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 356May 16, 2018 11:16 PM

LOL R356! Fucking Hickey.

I started a re-watch tonight. Things are so much clearer and have so much more weight upon a second viewing. Why am I doing this to myself??

by Anonymousreply 357May 17, 2018 1:08 AM

These last two episodes are hard to watch. Everyone I love is dying! I did read that supposedly the real Captain Crozier survived and lived out his days among the Inuit.

by Anonymousreply 358May 17, 2018 1:13 AM

I Like this show a lot, but I'm glad there's only one episode left. There's only so much misery I can take! Next week's isn't going to be fun to watch.

Blankey's exit was awesome. Wrapping himself in forks was hilarious. Make the creature hurt while it eats him- nice thinking.

This series will probably be released on DVD, yes? I definitely want to see some behind the scenes footage and extras.

by Anonymousreply 359May 17, 2018 2:06 AM

R355 which guys have a Northern accent? I'm guessing not Goodsir or Fitzjames, they sound like what I normally hear from English characters.

by Anonymousreply 360May 17, 2018 2:10 AM

r360 Well I'm from Liverpool so I liked the three characters with Liverpool accents, they were Master Blankey, the Marine Sergeant Tozer and one of the lower rating sailors that were with Hickey's table on the ship. You don't hear Liverpool accents on British TV much (or other Northern cities)

Hickey has a greater Manchester area accent, to me it sounds like St Helens/Warrington way, he says to Crozier he grew up in Liverpool and Manchester. Warrington is about in the middle.

The easy way to tell a Northern accent is the pronunciation of the letter 'a', southerners pronounce words like bath: bar-th or dance: dar nce. Northerners pronounce the a flat just like Americans do.

by Anonymousreply 361May 17, 2018 2:23 AM

R359. I'm with you. I want a nice Blu-Ray set with behind the scenes stuff, interviews, and hopefully some documentaries about the real Franklin expedition thrown in for good measure.

by Anonymousreply 362May 17, 2018 12:12 PM

No official word yet re: season 2. Some disappointing news if it does though:

[quote]And for those of you who were impressed by Kajganich and Hugh's vision and are curious to see their take on a new story in Season 2, I have bad news. "Dave and I aren't coming back for Season 2 by our choice," Hugh says. "We're just really excited to see what AMC does with what we've done."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 363May 19, 2018 6:27 PM

What could they possibly cover in the second season? They could always try turning this into an anthology series.

by Anonymousreply 364May 19, 2018 6:34 PM

My re-watch stalled out. Episodes 1-6 were fine, but when I got to the point in episode 7 where they encounter the Inuit family, I just couldn't go through that again. Too soon, too soon.

by Anonymousreply 365May 19, 2018 6:38 PM

r365 Yeah, there's no way in hell I'm ever rewatching that episode again. I had to take two weeks off from the show the first time around.

by Anonymousreply 366May 19, 2018 6:42 PM

"They could always try turning this into an anthology series."

I would like to see them do some other historical mysteries.....Dyatlov Pass, anyone?

by Anonymousreply 367May 20, 2018 1:45 AM

R364 Those writers said it would be an anthology series like American Crime Story or True Detective. It'd be a completely new story next season. And the season after that, etc. I guess it could be AMC's version of American Horror Story...

These ten episodes are all we are getting of Franklin Expedition. Which is fine, b/c what else is there to tell?

by Anonymousreply 368May 20, 2018 5:20 AM

[quote] What could they possibly cover in the second season?

They could follow the "rescue party" that was sent out to search for The Terror and The Erebus.

I believe that expedition also found the Northwest Passage.

by Anonymousreply 369May 21, 2018 1:42 PM

I binge watched this show twice up through episode 9, the second time with closed caption on. What an excellent show! I'm so disappointed that there is only one episode left (tonight, I will be watching). There is so much that they could have done with this show, it could have ran for several seasons....the story, writing, acting, all superb. But no, only 10 episodes.

Adam Nagaitis. I wish to do dirty, sinful things to his tight little body. I'm a bit obsessed with him. That aside, he is one superb actor, as was the actor that played Captain Crozier, and the one that played the Goodsir doctor. Amazing cast, can't remember the last show that had such a talented cast of actors.

by Anonymousreply 370May 21, 2018 10:04 PM

If anyone else is reading the novel, we could discuss it here once the show ends.

by Anonymousreply 371May 21, 2018 11:08 PM

Weird thing about the Goodsir actor, it took a few episodes to remember where I know him from.

He was in the Channel 4 series Utopia (v. good btw), in that his character is the total opposite of Goodsir he's a smug, sociopathic, violent hitman. He's great at that too.

by Anonymousreply 372May 21, 2018 11:14 PM

Is the novel very different from the show R371?

by Anonymousreply 373May 21, 2018 11:59 PM

It's a lot different. Obviously the show is a lot more tightly-paced. I find the novel quite tedious, honestly, and lacking in suspense and ambience. The Terror is one of those very rare instances where the filmed adaptation far excels the source material.

(And don't get me started on the author's over-use of the word "ice!" Everything's an ice ridge, ice tunnel, ice boulder, ice cave, ice wall, ice peak, ice mound ...we KNOW that everything's made of ice, damnit.)

by Anonymousreply 374May 22, 2018 1:35 AM

Well that was fucking disturbing. Poor Mr. Goodsir! The nicest guy on the whole damn show gets butchered and eaten. I didn't want to see that.

(But, I would like to see some gifs of him rubbing himself down. I dig a nice, hairy body.)

by Anonymousreply 375May 22, 2018 1:38 AM

R374 except these last few episodes have been on rocks. Is it like that in the book? Sometimes I forget that they're supposed to be in a freezing environment, because it doesn't look like it. It looks like kind of mild weather.

And can you tell me what the platypus scene was in the book? I've seen it reference a few times in some book reviews, websites, etc, but no one describes what happens in the scene. Do you remember? Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 376May 22, 2018 1:43 AM

Hickey tasted so bad it killed the monster. Nice.

by Anonymousreply 377May 22, 2018 1:47 AM

So he's kind of like Hickey r372? Minus the hitman part.

I'll have to check that show out. The actor impressed me ad the kindly doctor, I'd like to see him play a bastard. I hope the show's on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 378May 22, 2018 1:52 AM

The CGI monster is ... unfortunate.

by Anonymousreply 379May 22, 2018 1:52 AM

Umm, wtf was up with the chains in Little's face? Did he go crazy, I'm guessing?

by Anonymousreply 380May 22, 2018 2:02 AM

r378 He's even worse the Hickey, now I remember it there's a scene were he tortures a guy and pulls his eye out with a spoon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 381May 22, 2018 2:11 AM

So was the tuunbaq like a god to the Eskimos? Why would they be sad it died unless they worshipped it?

That totally sucks that Silna had to leave the tribe and live alone. These guys really ruined her life, eh?

by Anonymousreply 382May 22, 2018 2:14 AM

One of the tribesmen says it keeps things in balance, the Inuit only take what they need from the land and offer it sacrifice and it doesn't bother them. I think it's supposed to be an analogy when compared to the white man who comes and takes more than needed for profit and kills the tuunbaq in the process and knocks everything out of balance.

This is just my interpretation, i haven't read the book

by Anonymousreply 383May 22, 2018 2:19 AM

The death of the tuunbag was kind of confusing. Did he swallow someone with the chain on them? Was Crozier pulling on the chain what killed him. It’s on again in an hour I’ll have to rewatch .

by Anonymousreply 384May 22, 2018 2:30 AM

Goodsir had poisoned them all, so it was eating the poison in their bodies as they had eaten the poison in Goodsir. That was my thought on it

by Anonymousreply 385May 22, 2018 2:34 AM

Wonder why Crozier didn't want to go back to the UK when that English team showed up. Did he think that telling the British that the whole prior team died would stop them from making more attempts to navigate the area; was he trying to spare the native people from being infiltrated again? I doubt that one unfortunate mission would slow them down - the British empire was a steamroller, just grabbing all the land they could. They just would probably tried another route.

by Anonymousreply 386May 22, 2018 2:45 AM

I initially thought that Goodsir was just cleaning himself because he knew he was about to die and then I actually put my head in my hands when I figured out that he was spreading poison on himself because he knew that the rest of the men would eat him. OMG, his body laying there with pieces missing... I was shook.

After their meal, Hickey said that they all had to go to the top of some hill, then he picked up a rifle and bashed another guy in the back of the head, then an abrupt cut to commercial... what was that about? Did I miss something or was that just Hickey being a deranged psycho.

by Anonymousreply 387May 22, 2018 2:57 AM

He hit the (chef?) guy that was in the tent with Crozier and wanted to help his escape, he knew or suspected he was sympathetic to Crozier and might try and release him.

by Anonymousreply 388May 22, 2018 3:03 AM

He wanted to use Tozier as bait for the Tuunbaq. He picked Tozier because he knew he was a bit shaky, after expressing to Hickey that he'd witnessed Mr. Collins soul being consumed by the tuunbaq. But yes, Hickey was also being a deranged psycho. I loved his shouting on the hill and then slicing his tongue off to coax the tuunbaq to him like he was some shaman. As if.

by Anonymousreply 389May 22, 2018 3:04 AM

R386 I thought it was more that he felt he didn't deserve to go back to England. All his men died in the Arctic, and as captain, he failed them, so he should have to live the rest of his life, and then die there, as well. Kind of self-banishment. He no longer fit in England- he was a changed man.

And, I doubt he'd want to answer the endless questions about the voyage for the rest of his life if he went back to England.

by Anonymousreply 390May 22, 2018 3:13 AM

Hickey hit Tozer r388. He probably knew he had doubts about his joining in with Hickey and that he might try to help Captain Crozier against him. All he needed was a gun, and since he was the best shot, hickey may have been worried he'd use it on him.

And he definitely would have.

R388 that was John Diggle- and you're right, he was sympathetic to crozier and wanted to free him. Too bad he got Tuunbaq'd.

by Anonymousreply 391May 22, 2018 3:19 AM

Well I did not like this last episode very much at all. It broke my heart that Jopson died thinking that the Captain left him there to die (Mary!). I am wondering, what happened to the men that stayed on the Terror?

I agree R375, I also love his thick curly hair.

by Anonymousreply 392May 22, 2018 3:51 AM

Maybe a dumb question here but was that a dummy of Goodsir on the table or some really good cgi/makeup effects to get the missing pieces? It's stupid but it'd make me feel better if it was a dummy. A very creepy dummy that must've been freaky to create.

by Anonymousreply 393May 22, 2018 3:52 AM

I don't know R393 but it was very morbid and creepy. I also don't understand what that chain was on the Lieutenant's face (wtf!).

by Anonymousreply 394May 22, 2018 4:36 AM

The poison didn’t kill the beast. It doesn’t act that quickly.

by Anonymousreply 395May 22, 2018 5:12 AM

[quote]Maybe a dumb question here but was that a dummy of Goodsir on the table or some really good cgi/makeup effects to get the missing pieces? It's stupid but it'd make me feel better if it was a dummy. A very creepy dummy that must've been freaky to create.

It was a dummy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 396May 22, 2018 5:15 AM

Ice Master Blanky Goes Out Like a Boss

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 397May 22, 2018 5:41 AM

Hodgson reminds me of a cross between this guy from Scary Movie and Riff Raff. It's the stringy hair and large forehead I think...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 398May 22, 2018 6:02 AM

I rewatched the finale and you can tell it's a Goodsir dummy. The hair is too straight and looks like fake wig hair the first time we see it. Later when Lady Silence sees him there's a close up of his face and the hair is back to curly.

Very good likeness other than the hair.

by Anonymousreply 399May 22, 2018 6:06 AM

Hickey's motivation was that he wanted a free trip to Hawaii? Talk about overkill!

by Anonymousreply 400May 22, 2018 10:47 AM

Someone, please explain the facial ornaments on that guy who died at the end, thank you. It looked vaguely Indian or Persian to me. Did they just decide to give up, get wasted, and have some fun or?

Hickey is incredibly intelligent. He put the two and two together when Silna returned to the carnival that time without a tongue. A mad genius.

I didn't mind the CG monster. Some of the CG in big blockbuster superhero movies looks unfortunate so I won't blame a TV show for lacking in that department. Besides, animals, in general, are one of the most difficult things to believably translate into CG. It looked like a hybrid between a polar bear and a seal, which I thought was cool.

That gloriously composed closing shot was like a salve for the soul after everything they had experienced there. It's not all hellish landscape and suffering after all; there's peace and connection and contentment to be found anywhere in the world. Once you stop trying to usurp things and add them to your empire, that is.

by Anonymousreply 401May 22, 2018 12:05 PM

[quote] except these last few episodes have been on rocks. Is it like that in the book? Sometimes I forget that they're supposed to be in a freezing environment, because it doesn't look like it. It looks like kind of mild weather.

I've just gotten to the point in the books where they abandon ship, so I've yet to see how the author describes the landscape.

But in real life, the area (King William Island) that they tried to walk across looks just like that. Barren, with rocks over permafrost. And remember, they left the ships in April and so would have been walking through arctic summer -- with sunlight for 24 hours and no shade, it can get quite warm (relatively.) Even if you take 150 years of global warming into account on the graph below, the summer temps would be comfortable to be outdoors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 402May 22, 2018 12:13 PM

Greetings from King William Island!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 403May 22, 2018 12:15 PM

[bold]‘The Terror’ Bosses, Ridley Scott on That ‘Of Course’ Finale, Why Season Was ‘Better’ Than a Horror Film[/bold]

[quote]“I’ve always found the marker of a really good ending, whether its a show or a season, to be whether or not you feel it’s inevitable, that nothing surprised you in the end,” Hugh told TheWrap. “You may have been surprised on the journey, but at the very end the core feeling you’re left with is, ‘of course.’ And Dave and I were so proud of our ending, the way we leave our show, and we hope fans will be as well. No one should be surprised, but hopefully they will be moved.”

[quote]While AMC has not officially greenlit a second season of “The Terror,” Scott told TheWrap there are talks of what he’d do next (Hugh and Kajganich have already said they would step away from the project after the first season), if the show — which was originally promoted as AMC’s first anthology series — gets renewed.

I had no idea this was set in the [italic]Canadian[/italic] Arctic. God, my geography knowledge sucks ass. But my geography teacher was an awful homophobe so I blame her for it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 404May 22, 2018 2:03 PM

If it does come back as an anthology, I wonder if they will try to use some of the same actors like they do in American Horror Story. I doubt Ciaran Hinds, Tobias Menzies, or Jared Harris would come back, but I wouldn't mind seeing some of the other guys.

Particularly Jopson.

by Anonymousreply 405May 22, 2018 3:48 PM

Tobias can't return because he'll be playing Prince Philip.

by Anonymousreply 406May 22, 2018 4:38 PM

Enjoy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 407May 22, 2018 5:31 PM

The memorial at The Old Royal Navel College in London. The remains of Goodsir are buried underneath.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 408May 22, 2018 6:28 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 409May 22, 2018 6:31 PM

Holy shit! This show was amazing!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 410May 22, 2018 6:37 PM

If they wanted to stick with sea mysteries they could do the Marie Celeste next season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 411May 22, 2018 6:39 PM

Someone in r410's Twitter thread provided a possible explanation for the jewellery:

[quote]Ok apparently pirates etc would do that in order to “pay” for their own burial/funeral. I believe Edward did that so that someone might at least bury him and in essence the person burying him could have the gold

by Anonymousreply 412May 22, 2018 7:07 PM

I guess I'm the only one that thought the finale sucked ass. It made no sense to me.

And I predicted that the CGI polar bear would come back and eat everyone.

It's strange how the series could be so excellent, and then just come off the rails at the very end.

How disappointing.

by Anonymousreply 413May 22, 2018 7:45 PM

Not everyone.

by Anonymousreply 414May 22, 2018 7:48 PM

[quote] Not everyone

Still, that part is fictional. Everyone in the expedition died, in real life.

by Anonymousreply 415May 22, 2018 7:55 PM

There was a perfect suggestion for season two in the The Wrap article comments: H. P. Lovecraft"s  At The Mountains Of Madness. I've listened through all his Cthulhu books twice in a year, and I totally love them. 'Mountain' is obviously the big finish to the series.

Ridley Scott making At The Mountains Of Madness would be hilarious as well since Guillermo del Toro famously stopped preproduction of his film version when Scott's Prometheus was released.

by Anonymousreply 416May 22, 2018 7:55 PM

I needed therapy after the seventh episode so please no Lovecraft. I don't want to go mad while watching TV, thank you. Just the mere mention of Cthulhu makes my skin crawl like nothing else in the whole world.

by Anonymousreply 417May 22, 2018 8:02 PM

Hickey was wearing Fitzjames's boots. Did they plunder and eat his corpse?

by Anonymousreply 418May 22, 2018 8:04 PM

r418 Just plunder, probably.

by Anonymousreply 419May 22, 2018 8:05 PM

I bet he had to wear two pairs of socks to keep the boots from flopping around when he walked.

by Anonymousreply 420May 22, 2018 10:43 PM

Interesting that on this Wiki page re: the Franklin Expedition, an illustration of relics found and published in 1854 include something with the name Hickey on it. I wonder if that's where they got the idea for the name Hickey for the book/movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 421May 22, 2018 10:44 PM

Cornelius Hickey was a caulker's mate from Limerick. The imposter story was made up so his descendants wouldn't be offended that he's portrayed as a murderer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 422May 22, 2018 10:58 PM

You're not the only one who was disappointed with the ending R413. It was totally incongruent with the first 9 episodes, especially E9 which was so deep and raw, for lack of better words to describe it. There was a lack of emotion and substance to E10, it almost came across as lazy and cheesy in comparison to the previous episodes. Why did Crozier hide from the man (Sir Ross?) from the search party and stay with the Eskimo people? Apparently he had no concern for the families of all the men who died who were at home agonizing as to what happened to them? He could have told them what happened and then insisted on staying with the Eskimos if that's what he wanted to do. Also why the fuck did they wait so long to send out search parties for the REAL Franklin expedition? Why didn't they go look for them when they actually might have had a chance to survive? So sad, I can't imagine what that was like for all those men who died. From what i read, only 4 or 5 people on Terror/Erebus had any Arctic experience, the rest of the crew had absolutely none. What a nightmare for them, thinking they signed up for this great adventure only to die a slow, painful, terrifying, lonely death.

by Anonymousreply 423May 22, 2018 11:03 PM

Thanks for that R422, very interesting!

by Anonymousreply 424May 22, 2018 11:04 PM

Leave it to Reddit to move on this mystery like a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 425May 22, 2018 11:08 PM

Goodsir's dying visions were the saddest moment IMOP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 426May 22, 2018 11:14 PM

I wonder how many men on those ships at sea for months at a time turned into dirty sluts.

by Anonymousreply 427May 22, 2018 11:57 PM

I thought Goodsirs final thoughts were nice. they were calm and peaceful- a flower, a shell, a rock. They weren't all crazy like Sir John's were.

They were also kInd of nerdy and totally in line with Goodsir. Ha. I thought he might have thought of Lady silence, but I'm okay they didn't include that.

by Anonymousreply 428May 23, 2018 12:05 AM

In the book Crozier ends up with Lady Silence.

by Anonymousreply 429May 23, 2018 12:07 AM

r428 Those flashes of Goodsir's final thoughts made me aware of my own mortality as much as Six Feet Under's entire final sequence. So small, yet so effective. On me, at least.

[quote]a flower, a shell, a rock

A gentle soul, to the very end.

by Anonymousreply 430May 23, 2018 12:13 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 431May 23, 2018 2:45 AM

That Adam Nagaitis is such a cheeky bastard.

He really was perfect, for the role of Mr. Hickey.

by Anonymousreply 432May 23, 2018 3:08 AM

"I wonder how many men on those ships at sea for months at a time turned into dirty sluts."

I'm sure there were guys who got "passed around"

by Anonymousreply 433May 23, 2018 3:15 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 434May 23, 2018 3:20 AM

"Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy, and the lash."

Or in other words, a typical Saturday night in London.

by Anonymousreply 435May 23, 2018 3:22 AM

Oh my R434!

by Anonymousreply 436May 23, 2018 3:22 AM

I really loved the use of music. This haunting Robert Fripp track for the last scene was perfect.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 437May 23, 2018 7:28 AM

What happened to the ring which Goodsir passed on to Crozier? (Maybe I blinked and missed something.) Although the fact Crozier couldn't have delivered it to a someone in England even had he been in a position to do so (they were interrupted before Goodsir could name who it had belonged to) could be symbolic of futility, I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 438May 23, 2018 11:25 AM

OMG R422, I squeed like a fangirl. Thanks.

[quote] Also why the fuck did they wait so long to send out search parties for the REAL Franklin expedition? Why didn't they go look for them when they actually might have had a chance to survive?

Because it was typical of these voyages to take several years, and getting stuck in the ice was common place and expected. No one back in England really expected to hear from them for a long time. Also, as far as everyone knew, the ships had 5 years worth of usable provisions aboard.

by Anonymousreply 439May 23, 2018 12:23 PM

Goodsir couldn't remember the name of the sailor to whom the ring belonged r438. He tried, but the name wasn't there.

I wondered if he had told Crozier it belonged to David Young if Crozier wouldn't have given it to John when he came to rescue them. Tell the Inuit man to tell him Crozier left the ring and said to give it to David Young's sister. that would've been nice.

But, I guess Crozier just kept it himself maybe as a reminder of his guys. Or he chucked it in the water maybe. Or buried it. We don't know.

by Anonymousreply 440May 23, 2018 3:26 PM

As to why didn't the rescue expedition make sail sooner--money had to be raised for it, which is why Sir John's wife is shown practically begging for help in one scene, enlisting the help of Charles Dickens. This would've taken time, possibly a lot of it. You have to find a ship, get is prepared, get provisions and a crew etc. They didn't exactly have all this standing by. Also, Crozier's staying with the Inuit was telegraphed in the very first scene of the series, when the buttons from his coat were tossed onto his photograph. It gives the impression he traded them for Inuit clothing. But for those who don't understand why he didn't reveal himself to the rescue party--he couldn't, not in his mind. As captain, he had to go down with the ship. All his men were dead. It wasn't fitting that he alone survived. So he figuratively "died" and became another person.

by Anonymousreply 441May 23, 2018 3:43 PM

The subconscious part in me that craves havoc in the world wanted nothing else than for the show to cut to Charles Dickens' life in that one episode he appears in, and never mention the expedition again for the remainder of the season.

by Anonymousreply 442May 23, 2018 3:51 PM

"Goodsir couldn't remember the name of the sailor to whom the ring belonged [R438]. He tried, but the name wasn't there."

Ah, that's right! I had forgotten about that! And I imagine that what we were to infer from that scene is that Goodsir now recognized that he himself was starting to feel the effects of the lead poisoned food as his own memory was becoming faulty. Which probably prompted him to sacrifice himself.

That's what I love about this show, there are so many little details that all weave together in the story, it really is so much better the second time you watch it because you notice so much more.

by Anonymousreply 443May 23, 2018 5:13 PM

For all the Adam Nagaitis fans, saw a tweet from Variety's Twitter that "Terror's breakout star Adam Nagaitis has been signed for an upcoming HBO miniseries titled Chernobyl".

by Anonymousreply 444May 23, 2018 9:02 PM

^Ah good news! I'll watch that cute little fucker in something else.

by Anonymousreply 445May 23, 2018 9:24 PM

The Terror guys:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 446May 23, 2018 9:48 PM

Tobias Menzies looks great, in that photo at R446.

I also like the twink, in between Crozier and Goodsir.

by Anonymousreply 447May 23, 2018 9:59 PM

I recognize Crozier, Fitzjames, and Goodsir characters in that photo but I don't recognize any of the others, they were actors or behind the scenes? R446

by Anonymousreply 448May 23, 2018 10:03 PM

Ohhh great news R444, will definitely be watching

by Anonymousreply 449May 23, 2018 10:04 PM

R444 Jared Harris will also be in Chernobyl. Maybe well get Hickey vs. Crozier 2.0

Or maybe Adam will be a good guy. I bet he will.

by Anonymousreply 450May 23, 2018 11:29 PM

R448 they're all actors. Guy in white shirt played Dr. Stanley- the asshole who lit himself on fire. Grey shirt across from Tobias is Ciaran Hinds- Sir John Franklin. Twink inbetween Crozier and Goodsir played David Young- the guy who died in the first episode spitting up blood and all that. I forget who the pretty boy up front played, but he ws definitely in the show.

I would totally bang four of them.

by Anonymousreply 451May 23, 2018 11:34 PM

We need some Jopson love in this thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 452May 23, 2018 11:34 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 453May 23, 2018 11:36 PM

I wonder how close Crozier and Jopson got on that long voyage?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 454May 23, 2018 11:38 PM

"Jared Harris will also be in Chernobyl. Maybe well get Hickey vs. Crozier 2.0"

I'm now even more excited about Chernobyl, Crozier was my 2nd fave character

"We need some Jopson love in this thread."

He has beautiful eyes

by Anonymousreply 455May 23, 2018 11:51 PM

How does one pronounce "Nagaitis"?

by Anonymousreply 456May 23, 2018 11:55 PM

I think Jopson has a moist,hairy anus.

by Anonymousreply 457May 23, 2018 11:56 PM

I've been wondering that myself, R456. Here's our answer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 458May 24, 2018 12:01 AM

Thanks R458, gawd he's so fucking cute

by Anonymousreply 459May 24, 2018 12:33 AM

With those red cheeks Jopson looks like a precious little Hummel doll in r452.

R454 probably pretty close. Jopson most likely had to wipe his captain's ass and give him sponge baths while he was going through alcohol withdrawal.

by Anonymousreply 460May 24, 2018 12:45 AM

I'd add Little, Collins, and Goodsir to that list r457. This expedition had some hairy boys.

Yum.

by Anonymousreply 461May 24, 2018 12:49 AM

Aren't we forgetting one of the greatest wordsmiths who ever lived and who was absolutely crucial in this whole saga?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 462May 24, 2018 12:54 AM

R451 grey hoodie is Aaron Jeffcoate. Imdb tells me he played private William Pilkinson. That doesn't ring a bell.

I wonder how he scored a dinner invite with the captains, doctors, and first victim of the show?

by Anonymousreply 463May 24, 2018 1:05 AM

Some Terror boys having a bonfire. Stick me in between Fitzjames and Jopson please!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 464May 24, 2018 2:10 AM

Word on twitter is that July 31 will be the DVD release date. Nice.

by Anonymousreply 465May 24, 2018 3:12 AM

Goddamn! Liam Garrigan is one fine piece!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 466May 24, 2018 4:01 AM

Who took the picture?

by Anonymousreply 467May 24, 2018 3:25 PM

r467 Seems to be a behind the scenes photo, if you're referring to r466.

[quote]October 22, 2015 Burnaby, BC Once Upon a Time filming in Burnaby's Central Park on October 22nd. Featuring a Camelot scene in the afternoon! The main cast filmed during the night, but we weren't in a place to photograph the scene.

He's so dreamy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 468May 24, 2018 3:29 PM

I’m referring to the restaurant photo.

by Anonymousreply 469May 24, 2018 3:31 PM

That would've been helpful to include in your original post, yes.

Aaron Jeffcoate published it first on his Twitter account so... I guess him?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 470May 24, 2018 3:35 PM

Jeffcoate is in the photo. Well did Goodsir swing around to the side for the pic or is the person whosat at the head (foot?) of the table behind the camera and therefore missing? We may have been cheated out of a cast member for want of a photographer.

by Anonymousreply 471May 24, 2018 3:39 PM

It was probably just the waiter who took the photo.

by Anonymousreply 472May 24, 2018 3:43 PM

Another cast dinner pic. Less clear, but I spy Crozier, Hodgson, Diggle, Pilkinson, Tozer, and maybe Manson (?) there on the left with the thumbs up. Des Vouex (sp?), I think his name was, there on theback right. David Young in the hat, maybe?

Tozer was pretty hot I thought.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 473May 24, 2018 5:49 PM

I agree Tozer was hot. We really needed a scene with Tozer and Hickey going at it in their tent!

by Anonymousreply 474May 24, 2018 7:56 PM

I just watched the last episode again and for some reason it was much better the second time. There were still parts I didn't like but overall the actors were incredible and this really is one of the best shows I have ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 475May 25, 2018 1:17 AM

I actually like the CGI of Tuunbaq - I liked it's creepy, kind of human face. It looked disarming.

by Anonymousreply 476May 25, 2018 1:49 AM

While he was out of it, Crozier was mumbling 'John Weeks' I think I heard. I'm assuming he was one of the men who died, but does anyone remember his guy? I can't remember him at all.

Was he the guy who fell off the mast way early on?

I wanted to rewatch all the episodes before the finale, but AMC didn't have a marathon ahead of it. I was surprised at that. They always do for Walking Dead and pther shows. Eps 1 and 2 are a blur to me.

by Anonymousreply 477May 25, 2018 4:33 AM

Q&A with Paul Ready

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 478May 25, 2018 4:55 AM

I think the guy in the hat is Golding, r473. He was the guy who double-crossed Crozier for the mutineers.

r463, Pilkinson was one of the mutineers as well. He was the one wearing a red coat; in episode nine he, Tozer and Armitage are talking about the plan to return to the ship while Hickey is up on the hill scheming.

by Anonymousreply 479May 25, 2018 5:12 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 480May 25, 2018 12:41 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 481May 25, 2018 11:41 PM

BTS.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 482May 26, 2018 8:48 PM

I'm starting to think that Adam Nagaitis is really tiny. Everybody else towers over him.

Short can be cute... up to a point.

by Anonymousreply 483May 26, 2018 8:56 PM

[quote]I'm starting to think that Adam Nagaitis is really tiny

He came across as slight in THE COMMUTER but of course he was opposite Liam Neeson so I chalked it up to that. Google pops up that he's 5'7. I guessed 5'6.

by Anonymousreply 484May 26, 2018 8:59 PM

Yes he appears to be quite small, but I don't care, he's so charismatic and from interviews he seems so down-to-earth and someone that I would like to be around regardless of his height or size.

In this YT video someone posted upthread, his accent sounds different to me than how he sounded in the Terror, but I'm American so maybe I'm just imagining there is a difference. Anyone else think he sounds different?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 485May 26, 2018 10:34 PM

This one is for you R481.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 486May 26, 2018 10:45 PM

Thanks! Who's the hottie on the right?

by Anonymousreply 487May 26, 2018 11:27 PM

I think that's the guy that played Lt. Irving, the one who caught Hickey and his boo frolicking below deck

by Anonymousreply 488May 26, 2018 11:51 PM

Well isn't Jopson a pretty bronze color in r486? Think it's a tan, makeup, or his natural skin tone?

Irving has a pug nose and face. Still doable, however.

by Anonymousreply 489May 27, 2018 4:39 AM

Hmmm R489 I think it's his natural skin tone with maybe a little tan, I think he looks great! Irving looks more baby-faced there than he did in the show.

by Anonymousreply 490May 27, 2018 2:53 PM

As a ginger!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 491May 29, 2018 1:34 AM

I'm finding the book to be quite a slog (and I normally enjoy fact-heavy historical fiction.) It really lacks the tension and palpable sense of dread of the tv show; if Dan Simmons is normally a horror writer, he must not be a very good one.

And Our Hickey is not the nuanced fellow we met in the series.

by Anonymousreply 492May 29, 2018 12:59 PM

Since I'm still obsessing over Terror things, I found this letter from Crozier which refers to Goodsir, and imbues (show) Goodsir's dying visions with more significance. Apparently, (real) Goodsir was quite fascinated with mollusks and shells, and very good at making sketches of them:

"Goodsir in Erebus is a most diligent fellow, a perfect enthusiast in Mollusca. he seems much in his habits like Hooker, never idle, making perfect sketches of all he collects very quickly and in the most extraordinarily rough way – he has Rae['s] happy knack of engaging every one around him the same pursuit – he certainly is a great acquisition – "

by Anonymousreply 493May 29, 2018 5:44 PM

I'm still obsessing too R493. I had off the whole holiday weekend so I watched the entire series for a third time now. I don't know why I like this show so much.

I was reading that the search parties found Harry Peglar's journal on a dead sailor's body, but the sailor was not Peglar (I think this might have also been mentioned upthread). Apparently research revealed that the dead sailor had sailed with Peglar on another ship previously. The link below is to a translation of pages from Peglar's journal, wondering if Peglar was just not very educated or maybe these are the only letters/words that they could make out? Interesting to read, the parts that are understandable anyways.

The "C" poem is cute, apparently many men loved that life. I wonder though if he meant "Sea" or if "C" was someone's initial...probably meant Sea but the romantic in me wants it to be his secret lover haha....

I saw a gif the other day where Peglar and Bridgens were referred to as Book Lad and Book Dad lol...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 494May 30, 2018 10:05 PM

He mentions two sailors sharing a hammock.

by Anonymousreply 495May 30, 2018 11:14 PM

"He mentions two sailors sharing a hammock."

He does? I didn't see that.

In the episode where Hickey gets lashed, he goes back to his hammock and there is a piece of cloth with something in it, maybe tobacco??? does anyone know what it was and what the significance of that scene was?

by Anonymousreply 496May 31, 2018 12:46 AM

His bf left it there. I think it was something to ease his pain.

by Anonymousreply 497May 31, 2018 12:48 AM

It's on page three. "in this enegie (?) tent was ... hamoc.. with two sailors ."

by Anonymousreply 498May 31, 2018 12:55 AM

Goddamn this tasty little fucker, there's just something about him. How long do I have to wait for Chernobyl?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 499May 31, 2018 2:22 AM

Q&A video

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 500May 31, 2018 6:00 PM

For you Adam Nagaitis fans: He's also in the first season of Happy Valley in a minor role. Good luck with the thick Yorkshire accent!

by Anonymousreply 501May 31, 2018 6:22 PM

Fitzjames gushed similarly about him, r493.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 502May 31, 2018 6:26 PM

Jopson and Crozier.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 503June 1, 2018 12:25 AM

Thanks R502. Fitzjames had a way with words. Swoon!

by Anonymousreply 504June 1, 2018 1:24 AM

Mathew McNulty is hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 505June 2, 2018 9:35 PM

Loved McNulty in E4's Misfits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 506June 2, 2018 9:59 PM

Who did he play, r506? Loved the show in it's earlier years but I don't think I've watched past season 3.

Oh and you're quite welcome, r504. And now, more Adam!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 507June 4, 2018 3:42 PM

You know that times are rough when you need a glimpse of that fucking POS Hickey to cheer you up. Thanks R507!

by Anonymousreply 508June 4, 2018 3:45 PM

McNulty is very handsome, for some reason his character did not stand out much at all during the show (Terror). I think a big problem is that his character, Lt. Irving, Goodsir, and Collins (and probably a few others I'm forgetting) all looked similar with their dark hair and thick facial hair and all blended together at first.

Adam needs to stop with the tattoos! That aside, he does such a great job acting with his facial expressions. I loved this look Hickey gave to Irving after Irving caught him with Gibson, like "don't fuck with me you pious little shit!" , I also love him in what he's wearing here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 509June 5, 2018 12:07 AM

I love Adam's tattoos. I wish I could see them more clearly.

by Anonymousreply 510June 5, 2018 2:22 AM

So true about many actors looking alike - even to the last two episodes, I had a hard time telling Jopson and Edwards apart.

by Anonymousreply 511June 5, 2018 2:31 AM

[quote]Who did he play, [R506]? Loved the show in it's earlier years but I don't think I've watched past season 3.

He played Seth the powers broker who bought and sold people's powers. He came in at the end of season 2 and recurred in season three.

by Anonymousreply 512June 5, 2018 4:46 AM

The Terror Boys.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 513June 7, 2018 1:48 AM

June 11, the day that Sir John Franklin died in 1847. RIP Sir John.

by Anonymousreply 514June 11, 2018 3:04 PM

Was Sir John carried off by the Tuunbaq in real life?

by Anonymousreply 515June 11, 2018 3:13 PM

LOL, we'll never know R515

by Anonymousreply 516June 11, 2018 3:14 PM

How do we know he died June 11?

by Anonymousreply 517June 11, 2018 3:17 PM

Remember in episode 8, I think it was, when Crozier and Fitzjames went and left a message in the cairn? They showed them noting down the date of Sir John's death. They did that in real life, too. In this image, you can see it on the right hand side. They had to write in the margins because the first crew who left the message used up all of the space.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 518June 11, 2018 3:25 PM

Well, if he was carried off by the Tuunbaq, you’d think they’d have mentioned it.

by Anonymousreply 519June 11, 2018 3:37 PM

I hope they checked the back of that paper. There might be Tuunbaq news on the back. That’s where I’d have put it, so you could show everyone the note, but keep the classified stuff private. Just saying.

by Anonymousreply 520June 11, 2018 3:41 PM

This raises an interesting question I'd never thought of before. These were standard issue preprinted forms. What was printed on the back? Even if there was a lot of text already there, wouldn't there still have been space to write in there as well?

by Anonymousreply 521June 11, 2018 3:58 PM

That's a really good point, R521. Nothing I've seen mentions anything on the back of these notes. But you're right -- why note use the space?

Here's an old but good blog post and discussion about the notes. I hadn't realized that Fitzjames wrote the first "All well" entry also.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 522June 11, 2018 4:31 PM

Interesting blog post R522. Especially re: the unusually high ratio of officers that died as compared to the ratio of the rest of the men on board. What really happened to Franklin? And the officers? Yes I'm now donning my tin welsh wig... I wonder if maybe there was a mutiny in process and the officers were being poisoned? Or taken prisoner and killed? And Fitzjames was a part of it or forced to write that "all is well". There are so many scenarios that could have happened. I can't imagine the mindset of the men on those ships, they spent what, 2 or 3 full winters completely isolated in the freezing cold, at least 8 months of which are almost complete darkness, how did they maintain their sanity? Think about that, in those winter months the temp would have averaged -30 degrees (F), you couldn't even leave the ships for more than 20 or 30 minutes at a time. What did they do in there all those months? There were like 130 men total, but iirc only less than 50 bodies were found. Where are the rest of them? And why didn't they write more details about what was going on before they put the notes in the cairns? I mean, they don't even mention why Sir John died, or where he was buried. He was the Commander of the whole operation ffs! So many questions that we will likely never have the answers to.

by Anonymousreply 523June 12, 2018 12:16 AM

Wow, I heard this report on CBC news this morning and couldn't believe that 1. the Franklin Expedition is still in the headlines, and 2. all these years later, it still manages to be a clusterfuck. Apparently Canada and the UK are squabbling over ownership of artifacts, and the Inuit have a claim as well, but as usual are being ignored. Messy.

The good news from this article is that more dives to the wrecks will be taking place this summer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 524June 12, 2018 12:18 PM

[quote]The writers behind “The Terror,” a limited-series adaptation of Dan Simmons’ 2007 novel (a fictionalized account of the 1845-48 Arctic expedition by ships Terror and Erebus), knew there would be no second season, but nonetheless found themselves forced into a rewrite when the long-missing ships were discovered much further south than had long been believed, which then changed the historical record.

[quote]“Most of the scripts had been written when the ships were found, and in Dan’s novel one of the ships is destroyed,” says producer Dave Kajganich. “It was a lot of fun to figure out how we could undo common wisdom and fit what was coming out of the archaeological record with our scripts. It allowed us to give the characters even more credit for being smart in that situation.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 525June 14, 2018 12:59 AM

Cute bts video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 526June 14, 2018 2:34 AM

I admit to finding some of these designs tempting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 527June 17, 2018 12:27 PM

r527 Ha! I totally want one of these Saint Harry Goodsir tees.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 528June 17, 2018 12:36 PM

The blu ray is available for pre-order, but no info about any bonus features yet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 529June 17, 2018 2:18 PM

Matthew McNulty (Edward Little in “ The Terror ”):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 530June 20, 2018 10:23 PM

Thanks r530. Speaking of him, how did we miss this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 531June 21, 2018 3:02 PM

[bold]‘The Terror’ Renewed For Season 2 By AMC Set During World War II[/bold]

[quote]Season 2 is co-created by a new creative team, Alexander Woo (True Blood) and Max Borenstein (Kong: Skull Island) with Woo, who is currently under an overall deal at AMC Studios, set as showrunner.

[quote]The next iteration, based on an idea by Borenstein, will be set during World War II and center on an uncanny specter that menaces a Japanese-American community from its home in Southern California to the internment camps to the war in the Pacific. Woo and Borenstein take over from Soo Hugh and David Kajganich, who served as co-showrunners on season one.

So, what do we think about the new setting?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 532June 22, 2018 2:57 PM

[quote]Capping off a week where the news has been dominated with stories of a new wave of all-American internment camps, the story couldn’t be any more relevant. [bold]The show, which has yet to be cast, will feature a majority Asian and Asian-American ensemble, according to Woo.[/bold]

[quote]It’s a responsibility the show’s new caretakers seem to take very seriously, with Woo saying that “we hope to convey the abject terror of the historical experience in a way that feels modern and relevant to the present moment.” Borenstein adds that “The Japanese-American internment is a blemish on the nation’s conscience ... I’m thrilled that AMC is giving us the chance to use that darkness as the inspiration for what I hope will be a trenchant, terrifying season of TV.”

YES! I could not be more excited!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 533June 22, 2018 3:03 PM

Sounds promising! The responses I've seen elsewhere have been kind of mixed and weirdly obtuse.

by Anonymousreply 534June 22, 2018 8:53 PM

[quote]The show, which has yet to be cast, will feature a majority Asian and Asian-American ensemble, according to Woo.

Sounds like none of the actors from The Terror will be in season two.

by Anonymousreply 535June 22, 2018 9:01 PM

I hope Bryun-Hun Lee, Daniel Wu, and Donnie Yen are in it. They're not Japanese, but they are Asian. And hot.

Maybe Steven Yeun from Walking Dead can get a role.

Actually, probably not, idk of there'd be outrage if non Japanese Asians were cast for an internment camp storyline.

by Anonymousreply 536June 22, 2018 9:33 PM

*byung

by Anonymousreply 537June 22, 2018 9:34 PM

Nah, not interested in that, not at all, what a shame.

Why couldn't they set it on another Royal Navy ship that vanished in mysterious circumstances?

by Anonymousreply 538June 22, 2018 9:38 PM

New interview with Jared and Tobias.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 539June 22, 2018 10:51 PM

Really, a Japanese internment camp? And they pretty much admit that the reason they picked that theme is because of the situation on our southern border. So they are going to use the success and the popularity of The Terror's first season to push their political views and agenda in the second season. No thanks, they can fuck right off, I won't be watching.

I will wait for Chernobyl and will watch for other shows that the Terror cast I liked are in, and I am thinking of watching Rome since I have never seen that series. Would anyone who has seen it recommend?

by Anonymousreply 540June 23, 2018 1:11 AM

Never seen Rome but I remember hearing there's a lot of male nudity in it. James Purefoy I think shows dick.

Is Chernobyl an AMC show as well?

by Anonymousreply 541June 23, 2018 1:46 AM

Well I'm all about male nudity so I will get started on that series right away R541!

Chernobyl will be an HBO show, Jared Harris and Adam Nagaitis will both be in it.

by Anonymousreply 542June 23, 2018 2:55 AM

Adam Nagaitis (Cornelius Hickey in The Terror).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 543June 24, 2018 10:42 PM

Oh this one is lovely, r543, ty!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 544June 24, 2018 10:50 PM

I'm not interested in the 2nd season, either. Not because of the subject matter, but because of the new creative team. The writers and cast from this year were beyond superb! If they're not involved, why should I watch?

by Anonymousreply 545June 24, 2018 10:51 PM

R543/R544 there is just something about him (Adam Nagaitis), isn't there? He has the most expressive eyes. I'm wondering if he has had any good offers besides Chernobyl after receiving such rave reviews for The Terror.

by Anonymousreply 546June 25, 2018 4:11 AM

He looks like he throws a mean fuck, even though he's just a wee thing.

by Anonymousreply 547June 25, 2018 5:25 PM

R540 sounds like a Trumpkin

by Anonymousreply 548June 25, 2018 5:53 PM

Truly, r546. Watched "To Walking Invisible" earlier, he was great as the Brontë girls' messy brother. It's on Amazon Prime for anyone interested.

by Anonymousreply 549June 25, 2018 6:34 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 550June 25, 2018 9:16 PM

The world needs more Adam photoshoots

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 551June 27, 2018 3:34 PM

r545 I'm very excited for the second season but will admit it is a bit odd to keep the title when the entire creative team has been replaced. Seems like a marketing ploy to retain the current audience, more than anything.

It's basically only an anthology in the sense that it's financed by the same network and the tech crew will largely remain the same. An interesting experiment and we'll just have to see how it pans out.

by Anonymousreply 552June 27, 2018 3:43 PM

I'm really missing this show! Crazy, since watching it was like enduring psychological warfare....

by Anonymousreply 553July 6, 2018 5:35 PM

For DL consideration.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 554July 7, 2018 7:33 PM

The Emmys are DEAD to me!

by Anonymousreply 555July 12, 2018 7:06 PM

Not one single EMMY nomination. Incredible. The Terror was one of the best pieces of work (in all aspects) that I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 556July 12, 2018 10:28 PM

Adam Nagaitis and Jared Harris were robbed.

by Anonymousreply 557July 13, 2018 3:08 AM

It really warps the rest of the Emmys to me. Between Jared Harris and Kyle McLachlan being straight up ignored, I can't put much stock in any of the other picks. And the Best Lead in a Limited Series is a joke without those two men. I mean, Jeff Daniels gets two fucking nominations? Are you fucking kidding me? The only way this year's Emmys can come back from this is if The Americans sweeps.

by Anonymousreply 558July 14, 2018 4:01 AM

Criminally ignored.

Anyway here's a gifset of Adam looking like an absolute snack to lift your spirits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 559July 17, 2018 3:01 AM

Bumping this thread because Michael Palin (yes, the Monty Python one) has written a book about the Erebus. I've got it pre-ordered!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 560August 13, 2018 9:12 PM

No gay sex scenes?

by Anonymousreply 561August 13, 2018 9:23 PM

Bless you for trying to keep this thread alive r560. I was happy to see Paul Ready pop up in Endeavour a while back. Disappointed his character didn't have a larger role in the story.

Any news of what special features will be included on blu ray?

by Anonymousreply 562August 16, 2018 12:46 AM

The blu-ray ships out (HA!) next week. I'll post if there are any good special features.

by Anonymousreply 563August 16, 2018 1:03 AM

Are any of the actors gay?

by Anonymousreply 564August 16, 2018 1:29 AM

Bump for some season 2 news.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 565August 21, 2018 7:11 PM

My blu-rays arrived today and the lack of extras is REALLY disappointing. There's a few token things, but nothing like what they could have done. They a lot more online on AMC's website.

by Anonymousreply 566August 21, 2018 9:38 PM

If anyone's still out there reading this -- I was able to visit the Franklin Expedition exhibit in Ottawa this week, and it was incredibly well done and very moving. I think it travels to the US to CT next. See it if you can, Terror fans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 567September 2, 2018 11:04 PM

Exciting times

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 568September 7, 2018 12:30 PM

Interview with one of the show's historical advisors.

Mostly bumping because I've started a rewatch today. It's such a shame r566. I didn't pre-order because I was holding out for more news on the special features, but alas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 569September 13, 2018 10:46 PM

Thank you Terror fan!

by Anonymousreply 570September 13, 2018 11:11 PM

Here's Our Adam.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 571September 15, 2018 11:30 PM

Fresh season 2 news!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 572October 17, 2018 9:02 PM

In case there was any lingering doubt, yes that was Adam's real ass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 573November 11, 2018 6:12 PM

Did anyone get the

by Anonymousreply 574November 24, 2018 7:12 PM

AMC is re-running The Terror, during late-night.

It ran episodes 1-4 on Wednesday, episodes 5-8 Thursday night.

by Anonymousreply 575January 3, 2019 9:11 AM

This show is just as good, the second time around.

I'm falling in love with Mr. Hickey, all over again.

by Anonymousreply 576January 3, 2019 11:41 PM

So funny this popped up, I literally just finished doing a fourth rewatch the other night. I got excited for it all over again. Such a beautiful season. Its a crime Jared Harris and Tobias Menzies, and yes, the wicked and lovely Adam Nagaitis, weren't showered with awards for these performances. Menzies made me cry again during Fitzjames's speech to Crozier. "Are we brothers, Francis?". God, that scene.

Favorite episode? I have a hard time choosing between "First Shot's a Winner, Lads" and "Terror Camp Clear". Just capital.

by Anonymousreply 577January 4, 2019 12:41 AM

^ Seriously, can't believe no one from The Terror won any awards, while someone like Darren Criss walked away with an Emmy

by Anonymousreply 578January 4, 2019 2:48 AM

[quote] can't believe no one from The Terror won any awards, while someone like Darren Criss walked away with an Emmy

That shows you the state of the Emmy Awards and the Academy Awards.

No one takes them seriously anymore, and that's why the ratings are dropping.

by Anonymousreply 579January 4, 2019 4:26 PM

Final two episodes of season one will be shown on AMC Friday late night.

by Anonymousreply 580January 4, 2019 4:30 PM

"No one takes them seriously anymore, and that's why the ratings are dropping."

Ratings are dropping for everything but I agree that The Terror was robbed

by Anonymousreply 581January 5, 2019 2:52 AM

For others suffering Terror withdrawl, we can see Adam and Jared again in May.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 582February 26, 2019 12:08 PM

Oh, gods, this thread! Has it really been not even a year since we started it? Feels longer somehow. I miss watching this delightful show with you guys. Still remember how euphoric I got when all the remaining episodes got dumped at once and I had to pace myself, but also stop completely for a while after that one particularly traumatic episode. A perfect little self-contained season of TV I'd recommend to just about anyone.

Bonus gif of Hickey's stint on Bound Gods.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 583February 26, 2019 12:56 PM

I loved this show so much. I am glad it has a huge thread here. I just loved it. Every aspect of it. Better than the book, in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 584March 11, 2019 8:39 AM

The Terror: Infamy is premiering August 12!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 585April 8, 2019 5:21 PM

Did Tobias Menzies die in season 1?

by Anonymousreply 586April 8, 2019 5:23 PM

r585 I was just making a new thread but was taking my sweet time!

r586 He did.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 587April 8, 2019 5:43 PM

I just watched this. It was excellent. Phenomenal cast, beautiful production design, such a powerful atmospheric sense of dread creeping throughout. The only thing I wasn't a huge fan of was the CGI Tuunbaq which, at times, looked downright silly to me -- like something out of a comic book movie. I found it far more menacing when it wasn't even (or barely) seen.

What did y'all watch to fill the Terror (season 1) gap in your lives?

by Anonymousreply 588April 20, 2021 7:44 AM

Matthew McNulty is easy on the eye. Husband material.

by Anonymousreply 589April 20, 2021 10:16 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!