Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Daytime legend Genie Francis fired from "General Hospital"

If I had pearls, I'd clutch them and shake my fist at the heavens!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 338October 6, 2018 1:59 AM

the real headline here should be General Hospital is still on the air? Who knew?

by Anonymousreply 1January 21, 2018 3:03 PM

Sadly not that surprising, they already fired her once in 2002. Plus she's older and has a vagina. They continue to coddle Burton, Benard, Howarth, Easton, De Vry and other pets.

by Anonymousreply 2January 21, 2018 3:04 PM

R2, you watch GH? I'm a bit more like R1... "GH is still on the air?"

I'm old enough to remember the L&L story line, back in the days when Laura was married to Scotty Baldwin and skeevy Luke was lusting after her in Port Charles' only disco, where he had his way with her (the, "was it rape? not rape? kind of sort of rape which Laura secretly enjoyed broohaha), which launched the two characters into insane story lines and ratings heaven for ABC.

Tel me this, why is Laura's last name Collins and are all of her children still living in that hell hole of Port Charles which is run by the mob? What is Laura's role within the lives of that sad city's denizens?

by Anonymousreply 3January 21, 2018 3:13 PM

I heard that Laura was in the bar at The Floating Rib, sobbing into her Brandy Old Fashioned Sweet. Rick and Leslie rushed over in their white coats to comfort her. Meantime, in a dark corner, Monica and Alan Quartermain whispered, “Mission Accomplished.”

by Anonymousreply 4January 21, 2018 3:31 PM

They bumped Lezlie Charleson to recurring years ago, and she still averages about 6-7 episodes per month. Same with Jackie Zeman.

by Anonymousreply 5January 21, 2018 4:01 PM

R2 The only watching I've done in many years (the late 90s is when I last watched regularly) are the times when I'm flipping the channels and a character I like happens to be in a scene. Even then, it's often a struggle to watch.

by Anonymousreply 6January 21, 2018 4:09 PM

Maybe if Genie restyled her hair with bangs, she wouldn't have been fired.

by Anonymousreply 7January 21, 2018 4:11 PM

[quote]They bumped Lezlie Charleson to recurring years ago, and she still averages about 6-7 episodes per month.

Valentini told Genie they'd probably use her in 12 episodes in 2018.

I think it's time she tells the show to stuff it for good. She doesn't need the money and she certainly deserves more respect.

by Anonymousreply 8January 21, 2018 4:20 PM

That show is awful.

by Anonymousreply 9January 21, 2018 6:31 PM

Has Lady Geary been asked for her comment?

by Anonymousreply 10January 21, 2018 8:59 PM

I watched GH for the first time in years this past week on a snow day home from work. Awful. It was all about some ugly woman named Ava with weird lips and a scarred face. I think she was delusional. Anyway, it was awful. And the make up. Yikes. Everyone looked orange and had inches of make up caked on their faces. It was distracting.

Genie Francis is a beautiful legend and has it all over the scar-face woman. They should fire her.

by Anonymousreply 11January 21, 2018 9:35 PM

She could go back to DAYS as Diana Coalville

by Anonymousreply 12January 21, 2018 9:40 PM

Soaps have become strange parodies of themselves. If they were never really taken seriously before, they certainly aren't now.

by Anonymousreply 13January 21, 2018 9:40 PM

I thought it was a DL rule that no one be allowed to post unless she had pearls. At least earrings.

OP is a pig.

by Anonymousreply 14January 21, 2018 9:41 PM

Genie was nothing with Tony. He carried that couple, and Luke was so much more interesting away from that pablum. He's an icon who is well respected in the soap industry and in the wider entertainment industry. She is not. She is a typical frau.

by Anonymousreply 15January 21, 2018 10:15 PM

She just was in Soap Digest, but it was an article that talked more about the fact that she was on Nutrisystem.

by Anonymousreply 16January 22, 2018 3:34 AM

I mean, was JUST in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 22, 2018 3:35 AM

FIRED

FOR

BEING

FAT

by Anonymousreply 18January 22, 2018 12:50 PM

Yeah gone are the days of Anna Lee and Picklelila, Jane Elliot eating the scenery and all the other Quartermaine stories. They turned it into a show about dumb thugs. Genie is better off without it, she has her legacy.

by Anonymousreply 19January 22, 2018 12:55 PM

AMC should snatch her up. I just hope she doesn't stoop to Loving.

by Anonymousreply 20January 22, 2018 1:05 PM

GH made her a star, but has also shit on her over and over again. The fact that she keeps going back and expecting to be treated any better, at some point falls at her feet. The show shit on her. Tony shit on her. Other actors in the cast shit on her. I'm just not sure why she keeps expecting things to change.

by Anonymousreply 21January 22, 2018 1:10 PM

There is no [italic]Loving[/italic] to stoop to anymore, R20. There isn't even a [italic]Port Charles[/italic] to stoop to.

by Anonymousreply 22January 22, 2018 1:14 PM

Is Kin Shriner still on? And WEHT Doug Sheehan?

by Anonymousreply 23January 22, 2018 1:16 PM

R23 he moved to Knots Landing and married Joan Van Ark

by Anonymousreply 24January 22, 2018 1:19 PM

I am literally crying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25January 22, 2018 1:26 PM

[quote]And WEHT Doug Sheehan?

He must have a dartboard with Alec Baldwin's face on it.

by Anonymousreply 26January 22, 2018 1:27 PM

Big deal! Where was the outrage when Stuart Damon and Anna Lee were fired, or when Lezzzlie Charleson and Jackie Zeman were demoted to recurring.

by Anonymousreply 27January 22, 2018 1:39 PM

Maybe her presence is a lurid reminder that GH was pedaling the argument back in the 80s that rape is romantic and can be the segue to love and marriage -- not quite as popular an argument these days?

by Anonymousreply 28January 22, 2018 2:05 PM

RAPE ME, LUKE!!!!

by Anonymousreply 29January 22, 2018 2:28 PM

Lifetime movies can't be far behind...

by Anonymousreply 30January 22, 2018 2:33 PM

Maybe she could replace Beth Maitland as Traci on Yawn and Rested? Genie is overweight, but not nearly as fat as Beth. And she looks like she could be related to Belle Bangs.

by Anonymousreply 31January 22, 2018 2:37 PM

Did her gay co-star get fired to?

by Anonymousreply 32January 22, 2018 3:11 PM

^You'll have to narrow that down quite a bit, hon!

by Anonymousreply 33January 22, 2018 3:21 PM

What are the lesbian rumors on Leslie Charleson?

Also, why is there even still a Soap Opera Digest? Aren't there only 4 soaps left in total? For that matter, why bother with the daytime emmy categories for soaps?

by Anonymousreply 34January 22, 2018 3:28 PM

I think we're beyond rumors for Lezzlie. Did she ever witness Jane shave Dee?

by Anonymousreply 35January 22, 2018 3:45 PM

Apparently rumors are surfacing that Valentini is a heavy coke user, and this influences his manic work energy and zig zagging between story choices. Hmmm, interesting theory.....

by Anonymousreply 36January 22, 2018 4:13 PM

[quote] Did her gay co-star get fired to?

Empress Lady Geary abdicated her throne to be the Duchess Consort to Hans, His Royal BDSM Prince of Amsterdam.

by Anonymousreply 37January 22, 2018 4:14 PM

England is a fag country

by Anonymousreply 38January 22, 2018 5:08 PM

My delicate sensibilities are offended!

by Anonymousreply 39January 23, 2018 2:38 AM

HUTCH!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40January 23, 2018 2:43 AM

did you really have to do that?

by Anonymousreply 41January 23, 2018 2:45 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42January 23, 2018 2:47 AM

She's STILL doing this shit? Just goes to show, some soap stars cannot do ANYTHING else but be the same character they've played for decades.

The last I remember of the Luke and Laura saga was that Laura went entirely mad and became catatonic. She came out of it briefly but then slipped back into her imaginary world and was again confined to an asylum or hospital. I vaguely recall that Luke spirited her away from her confinement, and that's the last I heard of that. I assume now Laura has come out of her catatonic state and continued to get involved in all the kinds of crazy shit that goes on in soap opera land.

by Anonymousreply 43January 23, 2018 2:47 AM

Yes, in the deserted disco, to the tune of "Rise" by Herb Alpert, Luke drags Laura to the floor as she cries "No Luke, no!" After he has his way with her, she runs out and is found and taken to a hospital, where she's treated as a rape victim. Later, Scotty finds a note she's written to Luke where she refers to him having raped her. Many years later Luke tells one of their children how he raped his mother. Yes, one of the greatest love stories in soap history, one of the "super couples" of soap, originated with the heroine being raped by the guy who would eventually become her true love. I know soaps are fantasy, mindless entertainment, but that really takes the cake.

by Anonymousreply 44January 23, 2018 2:54 AM

That's why my mother wouldn't let us watch GH.

by Anonymousreply 45January 23, 2018 2:58 AM

I liked her as Ceara on AMC. I remember reading somewhere that she liked being on AMC more than GH, but ABC pretty much forced her to go back to playing Laura (after briefly taking Ceara to Loving).

AMC seemed to have less backstage drama and more cast friendships than other soaps, at least the ABC ones.

by Anonymousreply 46January 23, 2018 3:04 AM

R46 I also recall people trying to make a big deal of Susan Lucci being threatened by another Soap Diva joining the show and there was all sorts of drama. Turned out that Lucci became fond of Francis and they got along extremely well while she was on the show.

by Anonymousreply 47January 23, 2018 3:11 AM

AMC was evidently the place to work in the 80s and 90s. Yes, Genie loved working there and wanted to stay, but AMC made her return to GH. Jane Elliot said in an interview that it was absolutely her best work experience in terms of close collaboration with other actors and the general family atmosphere among the cast. Supposedly Bob Woods advised some extra who was having trouble dealing with some egos on the set that he should get a job on AMC because it's a much friendlier set. I used to date an extra who was used in background scenes on AMC, OLTL, Loving, and RH, and he said that AMC was the friendliest cast.

by Anonymousreply 48January 23, 2018 3:13 AM

Lucci was a straight up cunt to Finola Hughes. Finola has danced around it in interviews, but everyone knows who she's talking about. Susan Lucci was the star of AMC, there was no need for the way she treated FH. She'll pay for that one.

by Anonymousreply 49January 23, 2018 3:15 AM

Poor Finola - I remember there was a lot of fan hostility on the boards when she joined AMC. There were rumors that they got rid of Michael Nader to meet her (this was prior to when he was fired for the drug offense), so Dimitri fans were not happy, they made it clear she was for Edmund (who she did not click with) so Edmund and Brooke fans were not happy, and Brooke and Erica were kind of on back-burner at the time they brought her in, so Erica and Brooke fans were not happy, because they felt she was getting their air time.

It did not help that she was not given a great story line, they they added the convoluted is she Anna or is she Alex. She finally started to click when she was simply playing Anna, they made her police commissioner, and she worked well with David, and then she was let go.

I had heard Genie did like AMC, and while I did not dislike Ceara, she had kind of become a boring character. She had more of an edge when she was first on, and then they did one of the ridding of her demons by confronting a past molestation story lines. The show already had Brooke and reformed Natalie, they did not need another reformed heroine.

by Anonymousreply 50January 23, 2018 3:54 AM

Was Ceara always meant for Jeremy? When she came on, they heavily chem tested her with Michael E. Knight, Richard Shoberg, and especially Walt Willey. She and Jean LeClerc really clicked, I thought. For a gay man, he certainly had chemistry with all the women they paired him with.

by Anonymousreply 51January 23, 2018 4:05 AM

I am not sure, but I kind wonder if she was originally meant for Jack and be a romantic and business rival for Erica. It seemed like she was going to fill the trouble-maker, sparring partner for Erica void left by the reformation of Natalie. Then they moved Jack to Brooke, and Ceara and Erica actually became friends and on good terms.

For as long as Walt Wiley was on the show, he did not have a lot of romantic pairings and really only seemed to have chemistry with Erica and Barbara.

by Anonymousreply 52January 23, 2018 4:11 AM

Her husband is still screwing things up for her.

by Anonymousreply 53January 23, 2018 4:13 AM

I'm probably one of the few people who liked him with Felicity LaFortune's Laurel. I thought they had an easygoing chemistry, but they moved her over to Trevor when Melody Anderson clearly wasn't working out as nuNatalie. He was awful with Season Hubley, and he and Julia Barr had a nice friendship chemistry but zero sparks. Getting back to Genie, I think she worked really well on that show and a nice fit with the rest of the cast. I think it was just a more relaxed atmosphere for her at AMC, where she could be a didn't have to constantly be high profile and in one front burner story after another. She has glowing things to say about Eileen Herlie.

by Anonymousreply 54January 23, 2018 4:19 AM

Genie Francis is a legend indeed and I never like to see veterans being taken off-contract. That being said, the awfulness of her acting on The Young and The Restless had pretty much sealed in my opinion that Laura is all that she can play decently.

by Anonymousreply 55January 23, 2018 4:51 AM

And yet, Geary, with all his many vacations that caused storylines to halt for weeks at a time, never was lacking for story. Nor was he lacking for love interests, no matter how age appropriate or not. Same with Bernard, who was the lead of the show along with Burton, as GH ratings slid lower and lower - until Ron came in and made Sonny and Jason one of MANY stories and not THE story. Surprise! Ratings rose. And yet here we are, back to the same leads doing the same stories in one version or another, again and again. Yet Genie gets cut. GH has long had a history of treating the male stars better than the female and it looks like it continues. And now, they can throw ageism in the mix - if you are a female. If you are a male, no problem.

by Anonymousreply 56January 23, 2018 4:57 AM

I remember watching Luke and Laura in 1980. I was in sixth grade and rushed home every day to catch the show. I had a major crush on the blond actor who played the mob hitman assigned to kill them. Does anybody know his name? He was one of the most handsome guys on tv.

by Anonymousreply 57January 23, 2018 4:58 AM

[quote] I had a major crush on the blond actor who played the mob hitman assigned to kill them. Does anybody know his name? He was one of the most handsome guys on tv.

Burt Lancaster, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 58January 23, 2018 5:00 AM

Deadline Hollywood makes it sound like it was her decision. And kind of odd they even posted the story. They don't usually cover daytime.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59January 23, 2018 5:40 AM

In a contractual agreement Genie Francis was given sole custody of Nurse Jessie's black sweater.

by Anonymousreply 60January 23, 2018 6:34 AM

Frank has got pretty bad timing to be doing this right now. It just reminds people that Genie got treated like shit even though they could pair her with anyone. Meanwhile TG got treated like he owned the place and could take off for half the year even when his Luke/Felicia pairing made people reach for the eye bleach.

by Anonymousreply 61January 23, 2018 6:59 AM

Maybe Geary wants to return and they fired her to pay his salary?

by Anonymousreply 62January 23, 2018 7:00 AM

I'm still pissed that ABC killed the superior AMC and OLTL and let the shitty GH linger on.

by Anonymousreply 63January 23, 2018 7:15 AM

r57, you better sit down before you check out r40.

by Anonymousreply 64January 23, 2018 7:21 AM

r44

Just goes to show you you can't rape a whore

by Anonymousreply 65January 23, 2018 7:28 AM

im shocked to watch bold and beautiful ...and young and restless...

hardly any of the old timers on the shows.

sad

by Anonymousreply 66January 23, 2018 7:29 AM

The Pretty producers tore Frank to shreds.

SUCHAGOODDOG‏ @prettytheseries

Replying to @Jamey_Giddens We were honored to have @GenieFrancis work on Pretty - she is a pro, a delight, a pleasure. #GH and @valentinifrank big mistake, huge.

by Anonymousreply 67January 23, 2018 7:29 AM

She just bought a new house too. Oh well, the Star Trek money alone would probably pay the bills.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68January 23, 2018 8:51 AM

She should reprise her role as Diana Colville on Days of Our Lives

by Anonymousreply 69January 23, 2018 8:58 AM

I gave up on this show when they made the stick with fake tits (aka Kelly Monaco) the lead. She has the charisma of an inflatable sex doll.

by Anonymousreply 70January 23, 2018 9:02 AM

She's lucky. She's married to hot bear Jonathan Frames.

by Anonymousreply 71January 23, 2018 10:42 AM

[quote]She's STILL doing this shit? Just goes to show, some soap stars cannot do ANYTHING else but be the same character they've played for decades.

I think she still does the occasional movie for Hallmark, too.

by Anonymousreply 72January 23, 2018 11:55 AM

Shlomo Goldberg can still get it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73January 23, 2018 12:04 PM

R59

I guess if we want to get real technical, it was her choice. Frankie V bumped her to recurring and told her she was only needed for 12 or less episodes in 2018. She's probably not going to accept that.

They keep doing this with audience faves at GH (Laura and Lucy get it the worst) so they can pimp Sonny and his crew. And the fat flyover fraus love it. So probably time for those ladies to leave with dignity.

by Anonymousreply 74January 23, 2018 12:09 PM

This would never happen to cryptkeeper Lady Geary.

by Anonymousreply 75January 23, 2018 12:24 PM

Not to worry - Mumbles Stumpy Benard is still there hogging airtime.

by Anonymousreply 76January 23, 2018 12:25 PM

It looks like Lady Geary decided to wear Jane Elliott's old hairstyle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77January 23, 2018 1:04 PM

Gurl please. I wore that hairstyle better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78January 23, 2018 1:08 PM

And the saddest part is that Miss Frank would bend over backwards if the Lady wanted to return.

I am shocked that the misogyny at GH is still allowed to continue.

by Anonymousreply 79January 23, 2018 1:10 PM

[quote]so they can pimp Sonny and his crew. And the fat flyover fraus love it. So probably time for those ladies to leave with dignity.

Do they though, whenever I have checked out a soap board, they have always complained about Sonny, his acting, and he, Jason, Carly and the mob taking over the show.. I suppose internet boards probably do not accurately represent who is watching, but the remaining soaps seem to cling to things that appease a certain segment of their fan base but do not bring in new viewers much less younger viewers. When I was in college soaps were always on in the student unions and lounges with a lot of people watching, I suspect that is not the case anymore.

by Anonymousreply 80January 23, 2018 1:42 PM

Frank only has some balls now because he got a ratings up from the Monavie scam king. It won't last.

by Anonymousreply 81January 23, 2018 2:00 PM

Do we know that this was Frank's decision? Usually these things from the higher-ups. He tweeted last week about Laura's campaign heating up. Why would he hawk that storyline and then fire her the next week. I'm not fan of Frank's, but I think these decisions are made by more than just a puppet EP.

by Anonymousreply 82January 23, 2018 2:11 PM

Any show that has, Rick Springfield, Kin Shriner, MacGyver and Uncle Jesse is great.

by Anonymousreply 83January 23, 2018 2:11 PM

But only Kin is still there, and he's almost never seen.

It's all Stumpy or RoboJason.

by Anonymousreply 84January 23, 2018 3:23 PM

Miss Frank made a serious mistake in dumping Genie. Asshole needs to be fired but his boyfriend Varni won’t do it.

by Anonymousreply 85January 23, 2018 5:31 PM

RIP Shell Kepler (Amy Vining)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86January 23, 2018 5:36 PM

This song still gives me goosebumps...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87January 23, 2018 5:39 PM

Only our returns can save this show now!

by Anonymousreply 88January 23, 2018 5:42 PM

What does Lezzie Charleson think of this mess?

by Anonymousreply 89January 23, 2018 5:53 PM

Ain't karma a bitch!

by Anonymousreply 90January 23, 2018 5:54 PM

Who would've guessed in 1980 that 40 years later, Genie would get the Jessie Brewer/Audrey Hardy treatment?

by Anonymousreply 91January 23, 2018 6:10 PM

Genie did a great job with the sex abuse storyline on AMC, but she had some really terrific actors like Stephen Joyce, Bethel Leslie, and Eileen Herlie backing her up. Agnes was also VERY involved with that storyline. She actually named the character based on her own niece, Ceara. She was pretty awful on Y&R, but the writing was not very good and the actors she interacted with like Daniel Goddard were pretty ghastly.

by Anonymousreply 92January 23, 2018 6:15 PM

I remember when Glo Monty cut Rachel Ames, John Bernadino and Emily McLaughlin down to 20 shows a year. I think it was in 1984.

by Anonymousreply 93January 23, 2018 6:17 PM

I am going to assume that Genie was making about $4000 an episode. They clearly needed to free that money up for something else. $4000 an episode will give you 4 newbies or maybe they needed some more cash for negotiations with another star or they have another big ticket actor coming to the show. What contracts are coming up for renewal? What roles are being cast? I’m gong to assume that SBu already negotiated his deal.

by Anonymousreply 94January 23, 2018 6:19 PM

They should axe Howarth, Easton, and the Staff. They are both useless and probably cost a mint. With Tony gone, Genie should be the face of GH, not that stupid mobster and his minions.

by Anonymousreply 95January 23, 2018 6:21 PM

Genie should have got her Emmy from the David Hamilton story. That whole store was soap writing and acting at its best.

by Anonymousreply 96January 23, 2018 6:24 PM

They pay Steve Burton’s travel costs and hotel fees but they can’t afford Genie? That’s some bullshit right there.

by Anonymousreply 97January 23, 2018 6:30 PM

So right, r84. It's still the Sonny, Carly and Jason show. What crap. Now they're bouncing a vet off the show who made it at least a little more interesting given her history with the show. Get rid of Ava. The character is irredeemable. Excess baggage like Amy, Michael, Stella, Nelle, Nina, Nathan and Maxie won't really be missed. The actress playing Lulu is lacking and the role needs to be recast. A good executive producer would ditch the obvious favoritism given to Sonny, Carly, and Jason and the mob bullshit. They could save so much money getting these three overrated hacks off the show. I suggest they tear everything down and start over again from scratch. If they don't, this show will get canceled by the end of the year.

by Anonymousreply 98January 23, 2018 6:32 PM

I started watching the show when I was a kid and remember when Laura first came on. I had to go to a neighbor's house after school until my mom got home from work at 4:00 and she got me hooked. Can you imagine a storyline today with a 16 year old having an affair with her mother's lover?

I also watched rape scene and always thought it was not really rape, but seduction. And that she lied to explain why she was found in the park crying and late and felt bad for cheating on her husband. However, when I watched the episode during the 50th anniversary a few years ago, it was clear to me that it was rape-rape.

Haven't seen the show in ages, used to tune into SoapNet once in a while when it existed but didn't care enough to record it. Sorry to hear she continues to be mistreated by the show.

by Anonymousreply 99January 23, 2018 6:43 PM

It wasn't her mother's lover. It was her step father's best friend who was in love with her mother. It was his way of punishing both of them.

by Anonymousreply 100January 23, 2018 6:46 PM

You're right, r100. I was 8 years old, a lot of it was probably over my head, and it was a long time ago. But the age difference between Laura and David wouldn't fly today, she would have gotten off on self-defense.

by Anonymousreply 101January 23, 2018 7:34 PM

Oh the story would never go today. Never. They even showed their bedroom scenes. I think I was about 14 at the time.

by Anonymousreply 102January 23, 2018 7:41 PM

I think Genie had better chemistry with Kin than with Tony. There, I said it.

by Anonymousreply 103January 23, 2018 8:05 PM

I never got the appeal of Tony and that frizzy hair. I hated him from day one until the bitter end.

by Anonymousreply 104January 23, 2018 8:10 PM

[25] The song "Think of Laura" not in reference to the television Laura Webber Baldwin Spencer character, but to mourn the death of Denison University college student Laura Carter who was killed when she was struck by a stray bullet fired over a block away, during an altercation between four men.

Cross just allowed ABC to use the song to showcase Luke's love fo9r Laura.

by Anonymousreply 105January 23, 2018 8:20 PM

I am surprised the fraus watching in the 70s weren't icked out by Laura's teenage love scenes.

by Anonymousreply 106January 23, 2018 8:25 PM

Didn't Genie treat Tony pretty shabbily at one point because of certain rumors about him?

by Anonymousreply 107January 23, 2018 8:29 PM

Genie knew that Tony is gay.

by Anonymousreply 108January 23, 2018 8:33 PM

r107 I think the rumor was that Tony was HIV+ and she didn't want kissing scenes with him. I don't know if it's true or not. I do know that the AIDS epidemic of the 80s put an end to open mouth kisses on TV and most movies. Those two used to make out like they were eating each other's faces off, and it was disgusting to watch (to a little gayling like me).

by Anonymousreply 109January 23, 2018 8:39 PM

One summer day during the height of Luke and Laura when I was a gayling, we were at the municipal pool, and I informed my mom that I needed to get home by 3 to watch GH. Probably 1979 or 1980. My father and older/younger brothers were all meathead jocks who never "got" me. I don't think they even knew what a soap was. But I did. They were means of emotional escape from a world where I knew I didn't fit in. Anyway, I remember my mom's friend, upon hearing that I need to get home by 3, scornfully commenting to me, "Steven, you should've been born a girl." I've forgotten a lot about my childhood, but that remark has stayed with me for life.

by Anonymousreply 110January 23, 2018 8:45 PM

She's already flopped on Y&R and we all know DOOL pays its actors in Burger King coupons so Genie might as well just retire from soaps.

by Anonymousreply 111January 23, 2018 8:49 PM

How dare you R111. In and Out Coupons, yes. Burger King? Nevah!!!!

by Anonymousreply 112January 23, 2018 8:52 PM

R92 No denying that Y&R was a mess at that time and there was very little she could have done to save the storyline (and don't get me started with Cane) BUT she was really really bad. Seriously, rewatch her first appearance - that scene where she laughs maniacally in her kitchen and I dare you not to cringe. I was gobsmacked at how bad it was from the get-go.

by Anonymousreply 113January 23, 2018 10:30 PM

R98 I don't deny Ava is probably tough to write for but Maura West is too much of a great actress to let go. She seriously lifts everything up. Get rid of Howarth, Easton, Stafford (urgh!) that have no purpose and probably cost a fortune. At least, Ava has ties to many characters on the canvas. Why is Nina still around? And does anyone give a f***?

by Anonymousreply 114January 23, 2018 10:32 PM

R109 As I recall, it was actually Genie's husband, Jonathan Frakes, who objected and made a bit of a stink. Genie was in the middle, but of course had to side with her husband.

by Anonymousreply 115January 23, 2018 10:46 PM

Didn't Laura kill her step father's best friend lover? And got off? On what grounds? Self-defense? Insanity? Probably the latter. Laura always seemed like as nut, as did Luke. No wonder they clicked.

Remember their wedding? It was probably the biggest soap opera event of all time. Laura's wedding dress with the huge headpiece was hideous, total 80s over the top fashion. And what a shocker when she throws the bridal bouquet and SCOTTY catches it. I don't think anyone saw that coming. I never liked Scotty but I was hoping he'd beat the shit out of Luke. He had just cause; Luke stole his wife, his one and only true love, the incomparably beautiful and desirable Laura Webber (eye roll). After a brief fight in which Scotty is vanquished, Luke and Laura run away together to begin many years of soap opera insanity.

by Anonymousreply 116January 23, 2018 11:12 PM

On his last night alive Laura tried to push him into running away and getting married. He finally told her how he really couldn't stand her and only loved Lesley. He ripped up all her love letters and threw then down the stairs. Laura conked him on the head with a statue. Then she lost her memory. The police found the letters and assumed Leslie and David were lovers. So she went on trial for murder. The reasons they thought Leslie was the killer was the police found only one signature on the letter. L.W. They though it was Leslie.

Of course Leslie recognized Laura's handwriting and allowed herself to be tried. Telling Rick that yes she was having an affair with David but didn't kill him. This cause Rick and Leslie to separate. Laura remembered she had killed him about halfway through Leslie's trial but waited to say something until right before the verdict of guilty was going to come in. She got off as a juvenile would have. Lots of community service and psychiatric care. Many forget that when Laura first came on she really wasn't the nice misunderstood little gal she became. She really was a hot mess when she first came on.

Here's an audio only of Laura confessing to Leslie about how long she knew. A great scene. GH used to be great on murder mysteries but they seem to have dropped that. In my humble opinion the two best stories GH ever had was Laura/David/Murder and The Diana Taylor murder. They really used to know how to write a murder.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117January 23, 2018 11:24 PM

The Diana Taylor murder was great!

by Anonymousreply 118January 23, 2018 11:27 PM

even an audio only episode is better than the shit they put on today. Genie so should have won an Emmy for that David Hamilton story.

by Anonymousreply 119January 23, 2018 11:30 PM

The Diana Taylor murder was the longest story arc I remember. It was well worth it. Every time Robin Mattson came on the screen you went to the edge of your seat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120January 23, 2018 11:37 PM

Robin Strasser (Dorian OLTL) has been tweeting with Genie. Didn't FV fuck over Strasser too?

by Anonymousreply 121January 23, 2018 11:41 PM

It just goes to show you how cultural attitudes have shifted. Laura was 15 or 16 when she gave up her v-card to law student Scotty and no one thought it was weird. Then she started fucking David Hamilton and people were ok with it. She married Scotty at 17 and Rick and Leslie were like well, she's almost 18 so whatever. Back then 18 was definitely considered an adult.

by Anonymousreply 122January 23, 2018 11:42 PM

For anyone interested, the new general General Hospital thread link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123January 24, 2018 12:12 AM

Crap song, r105. I had a much better one.

[quote] Baby, come to me...let me put my arms around you....

And a much bigger rack.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124January 24, 2018 12:21 AM

Yes but you stunk up Dinestea

by Anonymousreply 125January 24, 2018 12:44 AM

As I recall Lesley and Rick were reluctant to allow Laura to marry Scoty (she was underage, after all) and she gives them an ultimatum: if they can't get married, they'll just have sex without the benefit of marriage. She said that Scotty had "needs"...and that SHE had them, too. Of course, Lesley and Rick let demanding, bratty, selfish Laura have her way and she marries Scotty and they fulfill their "needs." I really don't understand why the character of Laura became so popular. She was AWFUL.

by Anonymousreply 126January 24, 2018 2:15 AM

R119- I think Genie would have won the Emmy if they had the Younger Actress category back then, but she had to compete with the older actresses. GH was really turning out great stories back then - the whole Laura/David/Lesley followed by Luke/Laura/Scotty, the Left Handed Boy story, Diana Taylor's murder, the crazy Ice Princess storyline- no wonder so many people got hooked on it.

by Anonymousreply 127January 24, 2018 3:41 AM

Where was your outrage when Heather Stamford was fired?

by Anonymousreply 128January 24, 2018 3:48 AM

Teen Laura was so messed up and it was so good. You could write real stories for teens back then, because 16 and 17 year olds weren't treated like babies.

by Anonymousreply 129January 24, 2018 3:54 AM

And the Susan Moore murder storyline was pretty good, too. Maybe not as well written, but you had the Quartermaines heavily involved, and they were always a hoot to watch. Alan and Monica always sniping at each other, Edward barely tolerating the rest of his family, Lila seemingly daffy but actually shrewd. I'm only sorry Tracy wasn't on the scene in those days. Add in some Heather and Scotty, some Scorpio, and shirtless Jimmy Lee, and I was revived.

But I'm on record as saying my two favorite storylines from soaps were (1) Diana's murder, which was so well-plotted they made you believe that Heather could actually slip in and out of Forest Hills, and (2) the fake Silver Kane (Connie Wilkes) gaslighting Erica and making her believe she was losing her mind... all the while transforming from shy, mousy girl into gorgeous sexpot (AMC).

by Anonymousreply 130January 24, 2018 4:00 AM

Actually, I think the greatest storyline might have been the one from GH in the early 90s, the one where BJ died in the bus accident and her heart was given to Maxie. It's not so much that specific part, but the evolution of the entire storyline. It started as comic relief: Lucy made a bet with Damian Smith to see if he could bed any woman Lucy named. Being slightly jealous of what seemed to be their perfect marriage, she chose nemesis Bobbie Spencer convinced that Damien would never be able to win the bet. Anyway, it evolved and ended with the death of BJ and the total destruction of the Bobbie/Tony Jones marriage. A back-burner storyline that ended up using most of the major characters and completely took over the show. It took soap writing and acting to a higher dimension. It was riveting.

by Anonymousreply 131January 24, 2018 5:31 AM

Well the great thing about the Diana Taylor murder(sorry Genie we're digressing) was how long they took. Heather just didn't swipe the keys from the nurse's station to get out. We watched her crazy mind take about six months to formulate how to get out of the nut house. BEFORE the murder even took place. It was just fucking brilliant. Then the ending in Alice's dingy little apartment was brilliant. "MY BABY. MY OWN BABY TURNED ME INTO A MURDERER!"

by Anonymousreply 132January 24, 2018 11:19 AM

I would love it if Frank finally got dumped.

by Anonymousreply 133January 24, 2018 11:42 AM

[quote]We watched her crazy mind take about six months to formulate how to get out of the nut house. BEFORE the murder even took place.

In today's soap climate that same scenario would take 6 days and the fans would still be screaming, "why is this being dragged out".

by Anonymousreply 134January 24, 2018 12:26 PM

She had a hot ass, but she couldn't live forever.

by Anonymousreply 135January 24, 2018 1:45 PM

Kim McC tweeted Genie asking how she can support.

by Anonymousreply 136January 24, 2018 2:31 PM

Who is Kim McC?

by Anonymousreply 137January 24, 2018 2:35 PM

Kim needs to go with Genie to those Weight Watchers meetings.

by Anonymousreply 138January 24, 2018 3:32 PM

Kim Zimmer? Agreed!

by Anonymousreply 139January 24, 2018 4:23 PM

[quote] Who is Kim McC?

The closeted lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 140January 24, 2018 4:29 PM

I also loved the DL Brock murder story, with killer Ginny gaslighting Bobbie. Hell, I even loved the Laurelton storyline, even though it was a bit convoluted, but it was fun stuff. I loved all the Gloria Monty era stuff, except for her last big storyline--the Asian quarter. I thought that was just awful, but you have to give her credit for trying to establish some Asian characters in A stories.

by Anonymousreply 141January 24, 2018 5:03 PM

She's a big fat person.

by Anonymousreply 142January 24, 2018 6:50 PM

The ran her ad for Nutrisystem during GH today. I wonder if they will pull it soon. FV probably just lost a big advertiser.

by Anonymousreply 143January 24, 2018 8:00 PM

Oh, gawd. That was probably why Genie was back in the first place, because of the ads. Sadly.

by Anonymousreply 144January 24, 2018 8:39 PM

Beth Maitland is free to replace Genie in the ads.

by Anonymousreply 145January 24, 2018 8:49 PM

I went to Michael Logan's Twitter page to see when or if he would do an article about Genie....

Apparently his soaps column was shut down. He still does occasional pieces for TV Guide on nighttime shows, but no more soaps.

GASP!

by Anonymousreply 146January 24, 2018 9:45 PM

Did they really give the Borg a solo shot in the opening??? Lawd.

by Anonymousreply 147January 25, 2018 3:20 AM

Queen Logan is pissed because TVGuide told him that no one reads his column. Has Genie responded to Queen Logan’s tweet?

by Anonymousreply 148January 25, 2018 7:59 AM

So, Lisa LoCiicero is still on contract as Olivia, but Frank bumped Genie to recurring?

by Anonymousreply 149January 25, 2018 9:33 AM

I think Lisa LoC has been on recurring for quite some time.

by Anonymousreply 150January 25, 2018 11:47 AM

Is LezLie Charleson still top-billed? She's the longest serving member of the cast.

by Anonymousreply 151January 25, 2018 1:04 PM

Lezzie’s face doesn’t move anymore.

by Anonymousreply 152January 25, 2018 1:29 PM

R12 She said that being on Days was one of the worst experiences that she has ever had in her entire acting career and that just like now that back then Ken Corday was rarely ever there on set,how cheap the show was even back then and that she would never go back to Days.

by Anonymousreply 153January 27, 2018 3:32 AM

[77] Girl this is Bernadette Cooper from Klymaxx and I want my hairstyle back.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154January 27, 2018 4:21 AM

Vickie Dummer at ABC has a twitter pic with Steve Burton. That is a Huge F YOU to Genie and her fans. They’ll never ask Genie back. Burton and his peen is all that Dummer, Varni and Miss Frank wants.

by Anonymousreply 155January 27, 2018 1:32 PM

LMFAO. And people were saying the scam king would have to be begging for his job. Clearly, all the dumbasses at ABC gave him whatever he wanted. The fact that he has a solo shot in the opening says it all.

And for what? He's back staring blankly into space beside his lover Stumpy as they push their "heroism" on Port Charles.

Complete bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 156January 27, 2018 3:47 PM

The fact that Steve Burton was once engaged to Tara Reid turned me off forever. Plus he is a terrible actor and they allowed him to ruin the show.

by Anonymousreply 157January 27, 2018 3:51 PM

So who are Frank's pets? Benard, Wright, Burton, Miller, Monaco, Staff, Easton, and Howarth. Who else?

by Anonymousreply 158January 27, 2018 5:11 PM

Miller not as much with Burton back r158

by Anonymousreply 159January 27, 2018 8:45 PM

Nina is pointless. Staff eats up budget and should've been canned long ago. Frank chooses to keep her rather than icon like Genie. Makes no sense.

by Anonymousreply 160January 27, 2018 9:02 PM

The Staff is very close with Frank R160.

by Anonymousreply 161January 27, 2018 9:25 PM

R154 They love her, they hate her but they still say....she looks good

by Anonymousreply 162January 28, 2018 12:40 AM

Kimberley McCullough is a fake, shrill fat frau with a turkey neck and 3 double chins.

by Anonymousreply 163January 29, 2018 1:18 AM

Kimberly McC has no doubt dabbled in the pussy. Lezzy vibes from her.

by Anonymousreply 164January 29, 2018 8:44 AM

I have always wondered why Genie didn't become the Slezak or Lucci of GH.

I guess GH became a very different animal than OLTL or AMC in the mid/late 90s and never really regained any sense of heart or community.

by Anonymousreply 165January 29, 2018 2:26 PM

I like the character of Laura and think she should stay on the show. Genie certainly has played a big part in putting GH on the daytime map. But Genie has had skirmishes with GH before. And she has left abruptly before. She has had lots of controversy with her various stays. And always leaves with a cloud I don't know if that is true this time around but something doesn't seem right.

by Anonymousreply 166January 29, 2018 3:32 PM

Genie isn’t as innocent as people think.

by Anonymousreply 167January 29, 2018 3:43 PM

r167, don't come in here with cryptic statements like that. If you know something, spill it.

by Anonymousreply 168January 29, 2018 4:51 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169January 29, 2018 5:02 PM

R168 Do research. I’m not going to do it for you. Moron.

by Anonymousreply 170January 29, 2018 5:42 PM

[quote]I have always wondered why Genie didn't become the Slezak or Lucci of GH.

Genie Francis came and went from GH many times over the years unlike Slezak and Lucci who both stayed in their roles for 30+ years straight. I'm not criticizing GF for that. Just saying she was never constant or face of the show the way Slezak and especially Lucci were. I guess that would have been Geary while GH was forever stuck in supporting.

by Anonymousreply 171January 29, 2018 6:54 PM

R167 knows nothing.

by Anonymousreply 172January 30, 2018 5:52 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173January 30, 2018 6:31 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174January 30, 2018 7:13 AM

Lady Geary was the Slee/Looch of GH.

by Anonymousreply 175January 30, 2018 12:11 PM

Fuck you r170.

by Anonymousreply 176January 30, 2018 12:36 PM

Did Miss Frank give non-actor Paevey one final bj before his exit?

by Anonymousreply 177January 31, 2018 12:12 PM

GH fans, rejoice! Stumpy's father has been recast which means even more story for the shoe polish king.

Laura who?

Right Frank?

by Anonymousreply 178February 1, 2018 2:47 PM

Mo makes my peen hard.

by Anonymousreply 179February 1, 2018 2:58 PM

Hi Steve @r179.

by Anonymousreply 180February 1, 2018 2:59 PM

Nutrisystem continues to advertise on GH with Genie's ads.

by Anonymousreply 181February 7, 2018 12:35 AM

Genie Francis was never more than a mediocre actress. But she had a look that appealed to soap fans and I guess that was a large part of her appeal; she was considered this incredibly gorgeous creature and her beauty was constantly commented on in GH. But her acting was so inadequate.

by Anonymousreply 182February 7, 2018 1:08 AM

I'm not her biggest fan R182 but that is such bullshit. But I will qualify that. She wasn't good at the mundane "Hi Amy!" stuff. If it was unimportant chit chat she would just stiffly breeze through it. She also wasn't the greatest at being a support character. Maybe it bored her or she felt being the star she only had to go through the motions. When you gave her a big story and put her as the lead or the co-lead she was fantastic. Do a lunch with Lesley mmm not so much. Get raped on the disco floor ...the best.

by Anonymousreply 183February 7, 2018 1:12 AM

"When you gave her a big story and put her as the lead or the co-lead she was fantastic"

Not really. That "rape" scene was nothing. He pulls her down to the floor, she says "no Luke, no!"...and that's it. I guess anything else would have been beyond her capabilities. When she really tries to emote it doesn't ring true. She's more "olay acting" than acting. I remember her turn as a catatonic Laura and it was so ridiculous. She was so unconvincing.

by Anonymousreply 184February 7, 2018 1:20 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185February 7, 2018 1:25 AM

You're actually critiquing Genie's acting when GH showcases the WORST actors on a daily basis?

by Anonymousreply 186February 7, 2018 2:32 AM

GH beat Days at the 2018 WGA awards.

by Anonymousreply 187February 12, 2018 7:37 PM

Genie’s pussy stunk!

by Anonymousreply 188February 12, 2018 10:03 PM

How would you know Tony? The last time you saw pussy was when your mother pushed you out.

by Anonymousreply 189February 12, 2018 10:14 PM

Tony and I dated!

by Anonymousreply 190February 13, 2018 6:49 AM

Does Genie’s pussy stink? Well does it?

by Anonymousreply 191February 26, 2018 12:56 PM

I see Miss Frank has found his boytoy replacement for Paevey.

by Anonymousreply 192February 26, 2018 1:16 PM

Miss Frank loves taking it up the ass. Too bad that he fired Genie for his boystoys.

by Anonymousreply 193February 26, 2018 3:54 PM

I think Genie will be back for a story "arc." So will Robert Scorpio.

Wonder if this is GH coming to an end in September. FV doesn't want to bring either of those people back?

by Anonymousreply 194February 26, 2018 3:59 PM

GH must really be dead if DL is not chattering about the newest hunk on the show.

by Anonymousreply 195February 27, 2018 2:04 AM

So, Friday's show was the 14,000th episode. Ads for the episode promised something big happening. Ads implied it was huge.

However, I didn't see anything that big. Seemed like a fairly standard episode to me. Did I miss something? Was there something big that happened?

by Anonymousreply 196February 27, 2018 6:33 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197February 27, 2018 7:42 AM

He looks way too similar to Griffin - it will be hard to tell them apart.

Can anyone truly replace Paevey in Frank's buttocks though?

by Anonymousreply 198February 27, 2018 12:14 PM

they really should have had a great romantic story bringing Laura and Scotty back together.

by Anonymousreply 199February 27, 2018 12:40 PM

I'd sooner see a great romantic story of dumpy post-menopausal Laura discovering her poor track record with men was always due to the fact that she's been a repressed lesbian all along. After a night crying in many beers and extra plates of macaroni & cheese at Charlie's Pub, in walks the women's basketball coach from PCU and *BOOM* sparks fly and passions ignite. The love that dare not speak its name shall finally SING!

by Anonymousreply 200February 27, 2018 5:56 PM

Does Kimberly McCullough's pussy stink?

by Anonymousreply 201February 28, 2018 12:42 AM

Sorry, I was never a GF fan, not from day one in the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 202February 28, 2018 1:33 AM

I want to know who is doing Frank's massive Italian daddy schlong

by Anonymousreply 203February 28, 2018 3:09 AM

Genie and Tristan are supposed to be back for a big story.

by Anonymousreply 204March 1, 2018 4:13 AM

Genie’s twat smells. I hate twat.

by Anonymousreply 205March 1, 2018 9:21 AM

Sounds like they got a lot of heat and now trying to backpedal by bringing Genie back? Most fans will see through this. I hope Genie tells them to fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 206March 1, 2018 11:53 AM

Why wouldn’t Genie go back? Its not like she’s doing anything else. Just be glad they still want her because no one else does.

by Anonymousreply 207March 1, 2018 12:12 PM

Genie would never go back to Days and I'm not sure if Y&R would bring her back currently.

by Anonymousreply 208March 1, 2018 12:19 PM

Genie doesn't need the money which is why it was always about a story/contract for her. She didn't want the Zeman treatment.

by Anonymousreply 209March 1, 2018 12:43 PM

Genie needs the money. I just looked up her property in Maine and its valued at over $1.1 mil and she pays $28,000 per year in property taxes. I’m going to look up her California property now.

by Anonymousreply 210March 1, 2018 12:47 PM

[quote]Genie would never go back to Days and I'm not sure if Y&R would bring her back currently.

I don't understand this. Days is way better that GH right now. And she has already proven that she will return to a situation that was originally unpleasant for her. I have no issues with Genie, but she made the mistake that a lot of people in this business have made. She overestimated her value and importance to the show. Laura Wright and Kelly Monaco better be taking notes, because this is a recurring theme with women in this business. Mo Benard will be 80 and still be the star of this show.

by Anonymousreply 211March 1, 2018 12:51 PM

Isn't Mo Benard 80 now?

by Anonymousreply 212March 1, 2018 12:52 PM

R211 In some interview she did when the interviewer asked about her time on Days Genie said it was one of the worst experiences she has ever had in all of her acting career and would never go back Days even if she was asked. Allegedly a few others GH actors who have also been on Days have supposedly said similar things too about Days and about it being one of the worst experiences they have ever had in their life and would never go back.

by Anonymousreply 213March 1, 2018 1:02 PM

Was Kristian a mean bitch to Genie too?

by Anonymousreply 214March 1, 2018 1:04 PM

In the mid 80s, NBC was actively recruiting established stars from other network soaps as a way of bringing in viewers to its soap line up.

Genie was one of the people they recruited. Days didn't really have a storyline planned for her and kept changing her character of Diana as the storyline progressed. Not surprising she was so frustrated.

That's also the reason Jane Elliot went to Days as Angelica in 1987, why Denise Alexander and Larry Lau went to AW in 1986, why Justin Deas and Lenore Kasdorf went to Santa Barbara in 1986, among others.

by Anonymousreply 215March 1, 2018 1:09 PM

Supposedly the only people who were nice to Genie over at Days was Arleen and Drake.

by Anonymousreply 216March 1, 2018 1:13 PM

Genie doesn't need the money. Her husband has all those Star Trek dollars.

by Anonymousreply 217March 1, 2018 11:33 PM

Genie loves the spotlight. She’ll be back at GH. She can’t stand not being on tv and GH is the only show who will hire her.

by Anonymousreply 218March 5, 2018 3:30 PM

I imagine it also reduces her desirability for endorsing gigs like the Weight Watchers deal if she's not actually attached to a show.

by Anonymousreply 219March 6, 2018 2:35 AM

🍆🍌Ryan paevy 🥒🍌💋

by Anonymousreply 220March 7, 2018 12:57 AM

Frank has Swickard now - he doesn't need Paevey

by Anonymousreply 221March 7, 2018 2:15 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222March 9, 2018 10:19 AM

when she first came on the show she was so beautiful and just a breath of fresh air. No sopa had anything like her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223March 10, 2018 4:34 AM

What about us.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224March 10, 2018 1:21 PM

Is DL really not lusting after the newest hunk?

by Anonymousreply 225March 10, 2018 3:17 PM

Which one r225?

by Anonymousreply 226March 10, 2018 3:19 PM

Max Gail

by Anonymousreply 227March 11, 2018 3:45 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228March 12, 2018 4:16 PM

So, now Genie is saying it's not Frank's fault. And interesting reply by one of her castmates.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229March 13, 2018 6:08 AM

Genie is desperate.

by Anonymousreply 230March 13, 2018 8:28 AM

Yep. I call bull on this backtracking. By all accounts, a story was in place. So who is at fault then? Varni? I highly doubt some other Frons-like ABC exec came in and demanded Genie go.

by Anonymousreply 231March 13, 2018 1:05 PM

Daddy Frank still looks good - who's his bf? In all these years between OLTL and GH, we have never heard DL gossip about Frank.

by Anonymousreply 232March 13, 2018 1:06 PM

R165 DAYS is the soap that GH has always been CLOSEST in tone too, since the 80s, not AMC or OLTL, despite being in the same network

by Anonymousreply 233March 13, 2018 1:37 PM

Do you think she'll ever learn to act?

by Anonymousreply 234March 13, 2018 1:41 PM

Franco may be trying to find information about his childhood and has gone away to do some private investigative work to this end.

by Anonymousreply 235March 13, 2018 2:00 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236March 13, 2018 2:02 PM

r233, I am not sure what your point is. Even through the high camp of the 90s, DOOL maintained that sense of community and family. And DOOL still has Marlena as the matriarch figure, albeit used too sporadically.

GH veered completely away from that with MobTV and never recovered.

by Anonymousreply 237March 13, 2018 2:07 PM

Frank makes my no no hole quiver.

by Anonymousreply 238March 13, 2018 2:13 PM

Supposedly there has been rumors that ABC did some research several years back and that some viewers in the larger tv markets said that they liked the mob stuff when the show was thinking of moving away from it.Which then gave supposedly ABC the idea that mob stuff must be popular.

by Anonymousreply 239March 13, 2018 2:35 PM

Yes I am sure Frons and his "focus groups" just loved the mob. Nothing like pushing Shoe Polish Stumpy as a hero.

by Anonymousreply 240March 13, 2018 2:43 PM

Who is Frank's bf?

by Anonymousreply 241March 13, 2018 2:43 PM

Allegedly NYC was one of those "larger" tv markets that said supposedly they loooove the mob.

by Anonymousreply 242March 13, 2018 2:47 PM

GH can have the mob. The problem is it should not be the whole show.

Every regime made the mistake of decimating more and more core characters/families. So now the show is left with the bottom-of-the-barrel Corinthos' as the central family.

by Anonymousreply 243March 13, 2018 2:50 PM

They won't do anything about the Corinthos they had Michael quickly back to boot licking Sonny after he killed AJ.

by Anonymousreply 244March 13, 2018 3:03 PM

Say what you will, but Ron was the only one in like 15 years who recognized that Sonny needed to be backburnered to make a more balanced show. That all-too-brief time was the best GH has been in years.

by Anonymousreply 245March 13, 2018 3:11 PM

That Frank is teflon. Not even JFP, who is an actor's producer, received that kind of love. Geeze.

by Anonymousreply 246March 13, 2018 3:13 PM

Yes, isn't it just fucking amazing that Frank NEVER received blame at OLTL through 3 regimes? And now GH is the same.

Frank has been through 6 writing regimes on two shows, but he is never the culprit for what happens on the show.

LMFAO!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 247March 13, 2018 3:18 PM

According to original reports on Genie's last day she was trying to reach Frank and he either would see her or take her calls, but now it's not her fault? And why did Genie's fans take it out on Maurice and not Steve. Is it because Jason is considered legacy?

by Anonymousreply 248March 13, 2018 3:23 PM

Miss Frank is a big ole bottom queen.

by Anonymousreply 249March 13, 2018 3:31 PM

Mo was the first one to bitch and moan when he didn't get his way especially when he saw Stumpy being sidelined. He doesn't GAF about the show itself.

by Anonymousreply 250March 13, 2018 3:41 PM

He's admitted that he gets scripts in which he say he knows he will be savaged by some viewers R250

by Anonymousreply 251March 13, 2018 3:44 PM

Are those the scripts when he barely learns his lines?

by Anonymousreply 252March 13, 2018 3:49 PM

Please don't yell at me for asking this question, but in terms of length of service and seniority isn't Maurice like #1. He's basically John Beradino at this point.

by Anonymousreply 253March 13, 2018 3:54 PM

R253 If you mean an unbroken timeline as a contract cast member then yes but Leslie Charleson has been there since the late 70s though not always as a contract cast member.

by Anonymousreply 254March 13, 2018 4:08 PM

Was Beradino hated by like half the audience? I think not.

by Anonymousreply 255March 13, 2018 4:12 PM

That's just it, we don't know R255 because there was no internet for fanbases to get together and rally around hating a particular actor or character. To me, personally, I think a show about General Hospital should be about the doctors and nurses at General Hospital, but that genie left the bottle years ago. I've been seeing this same arguments about Sonny and Benard for years and they won't get rid of him so it's obvious that ABC only listens to half their audience. This guy is here to stay. I think they needed Genie's money to supplement SBu and a couple of new characters.

by Anonymousreply 256March 13, 2018 4:19 PM

If Mo is pissed at her, it's not going to be good. He doesn't let things go.

by Anonymousreply 257March 13, 2018 4:32 PM

Mo is much more popular with fans than Genie.

by Anonymousreply 258March 13, 2018 7:27 PM

Look at the GH cast. Maurice, Steve, Laura, Kelly, Billy, Phyllis, Maura, Howarth, Easton. None of those people are cheap. I bet the salaries of those 9 characters alone = the salaries of 3/4 the entire cast of Days of our Lives. And I bet Genie wasn't cheap either.

by Anonymousreply 259March 13, 2018 7:45 PM

Assuming by Phyllis you mean Stafford.

But in any case, what R259 said. This is essentially what Brian Frons did for years - play a few key people and put everyone else on recurring or very small contracts. I can almost guarantee NLG is not on a contract and I'd be surprised if any older than Becky H is on one. They're probably all recurring.

by Anonymousreply 260March 13, 2018 8:33 PM

NLG is allegedly on contact but yes no one currently on contract Days is making what those mentioned in R259 are making at GH and there's rumors someone could eventually be out at Days. TC isn't getting paid anywhere near what he was getting paid at GH over at Days.

Roxie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261March 13, 2018 8:49 PM

[quote] Say what you will, but Ron was the only one in like 15 years who recognized that Sonny needed to be backburnered to make a more balanced show. That all-too-brief time was the best GH has been in years.

The first 2/3rds of Ron's GH time was really solid. The last part kind of went off the rails, but I think that had more to do with network interference.

by Anonymousreply 262March 13, 2018 8:52 PM

But during TC's negotiations Frank low-balled him. Like he did with Becky and a few others. So it's clear that Frank will open up the bank vault for certain people but not others. Someone reported that Herbst was about to sign with Days to be the new Abigail, but her fans rallied and Frank made her a respectable offer to stay. So it is clearly an FOF situation over at GH.

by Anonymousreply 263March 13, 2018 8:56 PM

R263 According to FOWBF he chose the NuAbby on Days. There were supposedly claims coming out that wasn't any truth to Rebecca joining Days.

by Anonymousreply 264March 13, 2018 9:09 PM

There's NO WAY Becky could have been nuAbby. She's way too old to have assumed that role. Abby might have been SORASed but Becky's about a decade older than Abby needs to be on screen.

That being said, Becky could have played any number of other roles with a history: a younger Melissa, Sarah Horton, Noelle Curtis to name just a few.

by Anonymousreply 265March 13, 2018 9:16 PM

FANS LURRRVE SEXY MO!!

by Anonymousreply 266March 13, 2018 9:20 PM

Maurice looks like a canister of deodorant with arms, legs and a head.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267March 13, 2018 9:29 PM

GH Contract Actors 50 or Older: Maurice Benard, Michael Easton, Finola Hughes, Nancy Lee Grahn, Michelle Stafford.

GH Contract Actors in their 40s: Steve Burton, William DeVry, Roger Howarth, Kelly Monaco, Laura Wright, Tamera Braun, Rebecca Herbst, Maura West, Wes Ramsey, Donnell Turner.

GH Contract Actors in their 30s: Billy Miller, Emme Ryan, Dominic Zampronga, Vinessa Antoine, Kristin Storms, Chad Duell, Matt Cohen

As for James Patrick Stuart, he is 49, but NOT on contract.

by Anonymousreply 268March 13, 2018 11:25 PM

Ah Chad Duell who is said to have the D.O.D.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269March 13, 2018 11:30 PM

I might have been interested in the mob if Heather Webber had been revealed to be the head of the snake.

by Anonymousreply 270March 13, 2018 11:32 PM

🍆 of ☠💀

by Anonymousreply 271March 14, 2018 1:31 AM

It will come down to absentee votes, Lamb will win because of absentee Alleghany votes. I predict.

by Anonymousreply 272March 14, 2018 2:00 AM

R272 wrong thread, dearie.

by Anonymousreply 273March 14, 2018 3:04 AM

Mini OLTL reunion!!!! I miss my show!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274March 14, 2018 3:09 AM

More

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 275March 14, 2018 3:11 AM

The mob has been on GH forever. Remember Frank Smith, the little black book, Mitch Williams (Tracy's first husband/Susan's lover)? and that was late 70s/early 80s. Back then, there were mob stories that were balanced out by Alan/Monica/Rick/Lesley, Jeff/Heather/Diana, etc.

I can't speak to storyline balance because I haven't watched in years. But what fucked things up in my opinion is their attempt to make Sonny/Jason ("the mob") as the heroes. Frank Smith was a villain, and not a shaded villain, he was 100% villain. He had to be; you can't have a soap opera character that does horrible shit to people, but then have scenes showing that he loves babies and puppies and flowers and rainbows.

Ryan's Hope tried it with Joe Novak, but the difference was that Joe was painted as a hero when he actually left the mob. They showed him struggling as his family tried to pull him back into the business, but he refused, and that's when Joe stopped being a villain and became a dark hero. (At least for a while... I think he got pulled back in and then was killed, but I can't recall in detail.)

The Sopranos wrote Tony as a complex character, struggling with his decisions, but I don't think anyone ever viewed him as a hero (anti-hero became the popular term). He was never a white hat. GH has yet to figure that out with Sonny. They try so hard to write him as a heroic mob boss, but while I watched, he never showed a struggle with his mob life, he never tried to get out of it, he never showed true remorse for his misdeeds. Not sure whether fault lies with the writers, producers, acting, whatever but that's where -for me - the mob ruined GH.

by Anonymousreply 276March 14, 2018 2:19 PM

Mo loved playing the Godfather but he wanted Sonny to be a hero as well. This is what ruined GH!

by Anonymousreply 277March 14, 2018 3:03 PM

Sonny is supposedly the "good" mobster because he allegedly doesn't do some of the things that the "bad" mobsters do is how they try to play it.

by Anonymousreply 278March 14, 2018 3:16 PM

Brad was on today and mentioned Lucas.

by Anonymousreply 279March 19, 2018 9:57 PM

Frank's new boytoy picture was added to the opening credits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280March 21, 2018 12:09 PM

I still can't get over they'd cast someone who looks identical to Griffin.

by Anonymousreply 281March 21, 2018 12:13 PM

Genie tweeted a couple days ago that she is off to Paris. I guess she's not coming back soon?

by Anonymousreply 282March 21, 2018 1:27 PM

She's off to see Spencer!

by Anonymousreply 283March 21, 2018 6:55 PM

How come never any pics of Frank and a partner or bf? Is he afraid being open will cost him among his alpha male cast?

by Anonymousreply 284March 21, 2018 9:08 PM

alpha male cast on General Hospital? LOLZ

by Anonymousreply 285March 21, 2018 9:11 PM

Michael Easton and Billy Miller got lead actor noms while Laura,Maura and Nancy got lead actress noms. Wally got a supporting nom.

by Anonymousreply 286March 21, 2018 9:13 PM

NLG says her greatest achievement is being blocked by Scott Baio.

by Anonymousreply 287March 21, 2018 9:15 PM

Michael Easton???

LMFAO!!

by Anonymousreply 288March 21, 2018 10:49 PM

GH 55

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289March 23, 2018 3:50 PM

Frank got himself another one

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 290March 24, 2018 8:45 PM

The wedding dress and headpiece Laura wore to her wedding to Luke were monstrosities. The biggest daytime tv wedding of all time and THAT was what the costume designers came up with? So awful.

by Anonymousreply 291March 25, 2018 12:12 AM

[quote]The wedding dress and headpiece Laura wore to her wedding to Luke were monstrosities. The biggest daytime tv wedding of all time and THAT was what the costume designers came up with? So awful.

Ummm... yeah!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292March 25, 2018 7:36 AM

Talk about a dull role for Tamara Braun. This show does not utilize anyone's talents.

by Anonymousreply 293March 25, 2018 2:30 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294March 26, 2018 9:45 PM

Miss Frank really really really likes the peen.

by Anonymousreply 295March 27, 2018 12:51 AM

R294 K.Storms is looking ROUGH.

by Anonymousreply 296March 27, 2018 5:17 AM

I love how THE STAFFORD is still virtually irrelevant on this show.

by Anonymousreply 297March 29, 2018 11:39 AM

My career died after I spit on you Vicky. But I have my 2 emmys. How many do you have?

by Anonymousreply 298March 29, 2018 11:48 AM

they must have new pussy and cock to stay on the aire

she had a loooong run

by Anonymousreply 299March 29, 2018 11:59 AM

The Staff infection never fit in on GH - she's only there because she's friends with Miss Frank.

by Anonymousreply 300March 29, 2018 12:37 PM

So THAT was GH’s special 55th anniversary today??? Miss Frank is clueless.

by Anonymousreply 301March 30, 2018 11:52 PM

Kirsten Storms is looking round.

by Anonymousreply 302March 30, 2018 11:59 PM

Not a mention of Laura.

by Anonymousreply 303March 31, 2018 12:38 AM

Kristen is rotund. Plump.

by Anonymousreply 304March 31, 2018 12:43 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 305March 31, 2018 1:09 AM

Free OP!

by Anonymousreply 306March 31, 2018 1:16 AM

Variety wrote about GH's 55th.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 307March 31, 2018 1:49 AM

Now it looks like Kin Shriner is saying goodbye to GH on Twitter. Are they killing Scott off?

by Anonymousreply 308March 31, 2018 3:20 AM

Wally seemed surprised at the news about Kin as though he didn't know what was happening.

by Anonymousreply 309March 31, 2018 4:19 AM

There's speculation it was a hack. What would be the point of getting rid of him when they only trot him out a couple of times a year anyway?

by Anonymousreply 310March 31, 2018 4:51 AM

R310 has a point;

Also, and only because this is Kin I'm thinking that he might not be 'gone gone'

earlier today he tweeted he was off on 'my fla vespa to enjoy the day'

so MAYBE he meant he's leaving to go on vacation or something

he IS hardly ever on so why kill him off or write him off?

I'm sure it's frustrating for the vets to be on and then mostly off so maybe this is his way of saying he has not tape dates coming up.

by Anonymousreply 311March 31, 2018 5:12 AM

Miss Frank is being raked over the coals on twitter. “The show is very very healthy”. lololol What a moron.

by Anonymousreply 312March 31, 2018 5:54 AM

the ratings are actually good in that GH is taking the top spot in the demo in Women 18-49 away from Y&R here and there.

maybe Kin and Genie will be back.

They've come and gone before and even though Anna sat with Duke's dead body for hours before he was taken away he could come back too.

by Anonymousreply 313March 31, 2018 5:58 AM

Did KIn piss off Miss Frank?

by Anonymousreply 314March 31, 2018 12:47 PM

who needs Scotty and Laura when you've got Nina and whoever the fuck Easton is playing

by Anonymousreply 315March 31, 2018 12:48 PM

I can't believe they didn't even have Kevin say Laura was still with Spencer or she didn't want to come to a recreation of Luke's club.

by Anonymousreply 316March 31, 2018 1:55 PM

Alright. What did Miss Kin do to piss off Miss Frank and Miss Varni? A love triangle gone wrong????

by Anonymousreply 317March 31, 2018 2:55 PM

Supposedly he was critical of the 55th anniversary promos

by Anonymousreply 318March 31, 2018 3:21 PM

Wasn't Kin recurring? The tweet sounds final as if they are killing Scotty off.

by Anonymousreply 319March 31, 2018 3:24 PM

Kin stuck up for Genie after she was fired. One tweet. Can't imagine that would be enough to get himself fired? Is Frank that vindictive?

by Anonymousreply 320March 31, 2018 3:50 PM

It would be very odd to just tell a recurring vet, "hey we are definitely not using you anymore." If this happened, it had to have been something Miss Frank was pissed about.

by Anonymousreply 321April 1, 2018 2:03 AM

Aren't you on the edge of your seats for what a powerful, emotional story Scotty's death will be for beloved antihero FrankenTodd?

by Anonymousreply 322April 1, 2018 2:04 AM

Is she back?

I mean Genie, not Kin.

by Anonymousreply 323April 11, 2018 6:29 PM

Kin was probably feeling left out so he said he was gone on Twitter.

But he should be back.

by Anonymousreply 324April 11, 2018 6:47 PM

Kin just has to sleep with Miss Frank and he'll be back. But Miss Frank seems to like the young twinks so who knows.

by Anonymousreply 325April 11, 2018 10:41 PM

Is it true she said she will be coming back?

by Anonymousreply 326July 3, 2018 9:29 PM

R326- Apparently she was at a fan event recently and said something about her return but it sounds like it won't be until later in the year.

I just got through reading Tony Geary's exit interview - he sounds totally bitter about only being recognized as "Luke and Laura". Did he really believe he was going to make it in films? Because he would have only ended up in Stanley Tucci type roles and he's not even as talented as Stanley Tucci.

by Anonymousreply 327July 3, 2018 10:00 PM

Sorry. can someone extrapolate on what the fuck La Looch did to Finola Hughes at AMC? That piqued my interest!

by Anonymousreply 328July 3, 2018 10:02 PM

I am surprised Genie Francis was still on GH after all these years! Damn, I remember when GH was THE show back in the early 80s. I was in middle school and listened to the "General Hospital" rap song on my walkman. My punishment used to be no GH for a week. Absolute torture. However, I haven't watched the show in over 30 years. It Luke (Tony Geary) still on the show? Storylines are probably still the same LOL.

by Anonymousreply 329July 3, 2018 10:09 PM

Genie is coming back this fall!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 330July 31, 2018 2:52 PM

At least she will have something to do with Kevin/Ryan.

They would be smart to at least have her return with one of her sons.

by Anonymousreply 331July 31, 2018 2:58 PM

And she's showing off her contract on Twitter! I wonder what FV will think of that! I think it's kind of funny.

by Anonymousreply 332August 1, 2018 1:24 AM

Rumor is Jeff Branson is interested in coming to GH.

by Anonymousreply 333August 1, 2018 1:25 AM

r332

link?

by Anonymousreply 334August 1, 2018 1:34 AM

found the pic... I thought you could actually read the contract lol

by Anonymousreply 335August 1, 2018 1:45 AM

R332 He's pissed of course. Some his pets will have to take a pay cut now.

by Anonymousreply 336August 1, 2018 2:45 AM

Aww, Mo might have to cut back on the shoe polish if he has to take a pay cut.

Of course, Mo could likely take the hair dye/shoe polish off on his taxes as work related expense.

by Anonymousreply 337August 1, 2018 5:31 AM

She made it back this week and looked pretty good. Although I doubt she will figure it out soon, I am glad she is back.

by Anonymousreply 338October 6, 2018 1:59 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!