Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gay Lead of NBC's Musical Theater Series, Rise, Rewritten as Straight

Why the Gay Inspiration for NBC’s Musical Theater Series Was Rewritten as Straight

NBC’s new series “Rise” may be based on a true story, but one significant aspect of it has been altered for network TV. Its central character, inspired by a real-life teacher who was originally closeted, has been rewritten as straight.

Jason Katims, who created “Friday Night Lights,” wrote his series inspired in part by Michael Sokolove’s book “Drama High: The Incredible True Story of a Brilliant Teacher, a Struggling Town, and the Magic of Theater.” The book was about teacher Lou Volpe, who controversially put on a production of “Spring Awakening” at his high school in a small, blue-collar town. Volpe was closeted before eventually coming out later in life.

In contrast, “Rise’s” Lou Mazzuchelli (Josh Radnor) isn’t closeted at all and will not be coming out. This alteration for NBC’s show drastically changes the resonance of Lou choosing “Spring Awakening” to be his first show for the high school, since the play centers on teenagers dealing with the challenges of all aspects of sexuality, including homosexuality.

During the Television Critics Association press tour panel for the show on Tuesday, Katims explained he changed this aspect of his main character to be able to connect with the story, but that he didn’t want to “shy away from issues of sexuality.” He pointed out that “Rise” will still have LGBT elements, particularly focusing on its young characters — including a trans character and another character who is grappling with his sexuality.

Katims also noted that he changed other aspects of Lou’s family life, such giving his teenage son a drinking problem. “It becomes a major storyline and becomes a very powerful part of storytelling,” he said.

And of course, while the overall story focuses on musical theater, Katims can’t avoid including some football. “As much as it’s about high school theater, it’s also about the football team,” he said. “That storyline also becomes a big part of the show. And I love the idea of striking a balance between the two of them.”

“Rise” also features Rosie Perez and “Moana” star Auli’i Cravalho. It premieres on March 13 on NBC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181May 12, 2018 12:19 PM

Oh, well as long as it has a trans character, that's all that matters.

by Anonymousreply 1January 10, 2018 12:03 AM

Triggered!

by Anonymousreply 2January 10, 2018 12:06 AM

Boycott NBC. I'm not supporting anymore str8washing especially when it's being used to sell transcult propaganda.

by Anonymousreply 3January 10, 2018 12:07 AM

Go away, R2.

by Anonymousreply 4January 10, 2018 12:09 AM

Trannies and breeders ruin everything. That's it. I want separatism. I'm tired of being the token gay at breeder-centric events. I'm tired of being forced to pretend to tolerate homophobic male and female genital mutilation. I want gay-only things. After all the shit we've taken from our oppressors and after everything they've taken from us, gays should get everything and only we should get anything.

NO MORE TRANS-HET PROPAGANDA!

by Anonymousreply 5January 10, 2018 12:10 AM

25 years ago, Mel Gibson de-gayed his character in the movie "Man Without a Face."

So "Rise" on NBC must be what progress looks like.

by Anonymousreply 6January 10, 2018 12:15 AM

I would urge people to read the book, which is a great read...a real feel-good story.

by Anonymousreply 7January 10, 2018 12:22 AM

Gay turned into straight & trans. No gay.

This is the future if the letter is not dropped.

by Anonymousreply 8January 10, 2018 12:28 AM

Even [italic]Fresh off the Boat[/italic] could bring Allison out of the closet.

by Anonymousreply 9January 10, 2018 12:28 AM

[quote]Gay turned into straight & trans. No gay. This is the future if the letter is not dropped.

It's like [italic]Back to the Future[/italic], but not the parts with Marty in his underwear, the parts with Marty's future gradually disappearing minute by minute.

by Anonymousreply 10January 10, 2018 12:37 AM

Wait, Josh Radnor is playing straight? Or gay? I'm confused.

Whether his character is gay or straight is always confusing to me.

by Anonymousreply 11January 10, 2018 12:41 AM

If there were gay or G&L organizations they would be protesting this. But none exist.

Remember when gay organizations protested Cruising and Basic Instinct? And that was nothing compared to this.

by Anonymousreply 12January 10, 2018 12:43 AM

Y'all were too busy bashing [italic]Song of the South[/italic] to notice.

by Anonymousreply 13January 10, 2018 12:46 AM

So it’s a de fagged “Glee”?

by Anonymousreply 14January 10, 2018 12:48 AM

[italic]Glee[/italic] enabled it by pushing trans-propaganda towards the end, R14. Even when it was new, it stunk and it proved just what a hack Ryan Murphy is.

by Anonymousreply 15January 10, 2018 12:50 AM

Glee had a 200-person transgender choir

GLAAD celebrates

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 10, 2018 12:52 AM

So in other words, every tranny in the world?

by Anonymousreply 17January 10, 2018 12:55 AM

Could you imagine if they made a trans person not trans? OMG those mental cases would be screaming from the rooftops...I mean more than they usually are.

by Anonymousreply 18January 10, 2018 1:00 AM

[quote] Glee had a 200-person transgender choir

From the studio that brought you [italic]Myra Breckinridge[/italic].

[quote] GLAAD celebrates

That was where Chastity Bono used to work before turning into Guy Fieri, right?

by Anonymousreply 19January 10, 2018 1:00 AM

[quote] Could you imagine if they made a trans person not trans? OMG those mental cases would be screaming from the rooftops...I mean more than they usually are.

You're sick, Mole! You're a weirdo pervert! Rid your body of that disgusting transplant!

by Anonymousreply 20January 10, 2018 1:03 AM

Bravo R5! I totally agree.

by Anonymousreply 21January 10, 2018 1:23 AM

NBC is the equivalent of the homophobic jock who's had the entire football team up his ass.

by Anonymousreply 22January 10, 2018 1:24 AM

It's "Glee" meets "Smash." And like the latter, it won't last long.

by Anonymousreply 23January 10, 2018 1:29 AM

Josh Radnor is long rumored to be gay so there's that.

by Anonymousreply 24January 10, 2018 1:38 AM

Can high schools even license "Spring Awakening"?

by Anonymousreply 25January 10, 2018 1:39 AM

This is the future of gay people on broadcast television: Being equated with trans, because really, when you get down to it, all gay people really want to be normal and attracted to the opposite sex. Just like in Iran, where there are no gays because they force them all to change their sex.

by Anonymousreply 26January 10, 2018 1:58 AM

Like the same Iran with whom Obama, whose ass MSNBC kissed on a daily basis all the years he was president, made a deal, R26?

by Anonymousreply 27January 10, 2018 2:03 AM

You go to any High School and the Arts programs are full of gay kids. On TV, it's only one closeted kid. But thank God we have another show where the Football players come and make the Arts cool.

by Anonymousreply 28January 10, 2018 11:50 AM

They made it about MSFs (Males who sleep with females) and gay men will be mentioned so that the MSFs can use them as a tool to appear more manly in some way by "protecting them" even though in real life we're generally the stronger ones.

by Anonymousreply 29January 10, 2018 11:54 AM

OMG the lamest WhatAbout?© ever, r27

by Anonymousreply 30January 10, 2018 12:08 PM

GLAAD should get on this.......oh wait, they're too busy helping kill off gay Star Trek characters.

by Anonymousreply 31January 10, 2018 12:11 PM

More straightwashing bullshit. I hope this goes down in flames.

So tired of mainstream culture plundering artistic expressions of the gay experience, erasing our existence and then selling the resulting chimera as a product to straight people.

by Anonymousreply 32January 10, 2018 12:19 PM

Actually, a serious question. Why haven't the SJW shut this program down by now? If it was a topic that they cared about,SJW would have had the program pulled so scenes could be re-shot. It has been 12 hours and all I can find a 32 replies on DL.

by Anonymousreply 33January 10, 2018 12:36 PM

Well, as much as I hate to agree with R1, maybe he’s right, R33.

by Anonymousreply 34January 10, 2018 2:19 PM

Hadn't planned on watching it anyway...now I have another reason not to!

by Anonymousreply 35January 10, 2018 2:40 PM

Seriously? Taking a gay character and making him straight? WTF are they thinking?

And quit with the trans obsession. They didn't take a gay character and make him trans, that made him straight.

by Anonymousreply 36January 10, 2018 4:13 PM

R30: L*m* is an ableist slur, and the fact that you cannot refute Obama's collusion with a genocidally homophobic government and can only use hate speech in response says everything about you, Obama, and Iran and nothing about me and anyone who can see the Emperor for his lack of clothes.

by Anonymousreply 37January 10, 2018 4:17 PM

For anyone past, present, or future who believes that mental health slurs are a substitute for an argument:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38January 10, 2018 4:18 PM

Only one person struggling w sexuality sounds like tokenism. I feel he didn’t adequately explain why he had to de-gay the main character.

by Anonymousreply 39January 10, 2018 4:20 PM

[quote] I feel he didn’t adequately explain why he had to de-gay the main character.

Because he doesn't want to say the obvious truth "I thought the show was an easier sell to the network and audiences with a straight character"

There is no real reason other than that.

by Anonymousreply 40January 10, 2018 4:22 PM

There is no good reason, R39. It's not 1965 anymore and they need to stop writing gay characters like it is.

by Anonymousreply 41January 10, 2018 4:22 PM

He's the "How I Met Your Mother" guy, right?

by Anonymousreply 42January 10, 2018 8:22 PM

Goddamit, you people already have "Will and Grace." Why can't you be happy with that?

by Anonymousreply 43January 10, 2018 8:36 PM

We wanted Blair and Jo, R42. Why couldn't we have THEM?

by Anonymousreply 44January 10, 2018 9:19 PM

What NBC can't do, CBS can.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45January 11, 2018 3:39 AM

Josh Radnor has been rumored to be a closet gay so I'm wondering if he or his agent protested the character eventually being portrayed as gay?

by Anonymousreply 46January 11, 2018 3:52 AM

Ryan Murphy and Greg Berlanti had been writing several heterosexual main characters and this fuck of a writer whines about how he can not relate to a gay character??

Easy. Just replace the girl with a guy and youre good to go. It also wont hurt your sexuality to watch at least one gay movie, unless youre afraid you might like what you see. 💁

by Anonymousreply 47January 11, 2018 10:25 AM

It has that guy from "Girl, you don't need makeup" faux boyband from that show with the fat comedianne!

by Anonymousreply 48January 11, 2018 10:34 AM

Wake me when we have a show that's truly 100% gay on both sides of the camera.

by Anonymousreply 49January 11, 2018 10:44 AM

[quote]Why haven't the SJW shut this program down by now?

Because they're anti-gay.

by Anonymousreply 50January 11, 2018 10:46 AM

r49 I volunteer to fuck all of the men to make sure they're gay.

by Anonymousreply 51January 11, 2018 10:50 AM

R49 Austin Mackenzie?? When We Rise+Speech&Debate

by Anonymousreply 52January 11, 2018 11:09 AM

R49 Colton Haynes(lately) and Russell Tovey

by Anonymousreply 53January 11, 2018 11:11 AM

[quote]When We Rise

I auditioned for that. Not even a callback.

by Anonymousreply 54January 11, 2018 11:12 AM

R54 Sorry, you're not gay enough.

by Anonymousreply 55January 11, 2018 11:15 AM

😱

[italic] 😱

[/italic] 😱

[italic] 😱

by Anonymousreply 56January 11, 2018 11:26 AM

[quote][R54] Sorry, you're not gay enough.

To play a Castro Queen from the 1970s?

by Anonymousreply 57January 11, 2018 11:27 AM

does rosie perez alwys talk like a baby?

very offputting, maybe a speech impediment or sumthin, makes my skin crawl...reminds me of that affected kiddie voice cynid lauper used to use.

by Anonymousreply 58January 11, 2018 11:33 AM

[quote]Why haven't the SJW shut this program down by now?

SJW don't care about gay. They want trans.

by Anonymousreply 59January 11, 2018 12:16 PM

"Social justice" was also a buzzword used by an anti-semitic radio priest named Charles Coughlin in the 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 60January 11, 2018 12:22 PM

Let us puke rainbow all over NBC.

by Anonymousreply 61January 11, 2018 1:22 PM

[quote]Gay Lead of NBC's Musical Theater Series, Rise, Rewritten as Straight

Just exactly who does NBC think is the audience for a musical theater series?

by Anonymousreply 62January 11, 2018 1:28 PM

I'm going down to my NBC station to protest while singing the original "Gimme A Break" theme song.

by Anonymousreply 63January 11, 2018 1:31 PM

Let us all spray water gun on the writer who made him straight!!

*squirt* *squirt* You like that, you little hetero?? *squirt* *squirt*

by Anonymousreply 64January 11, 2018 1:36 PM

Give gays a break,

We sure deserve it,

I hope this stupid show's a flop.

Give gays a break,

From breeder bullshit

'Cause this straightwashing has got to stop!

We want a happy ending,

We're tired of pretending

That gays have no place on TV.

Goddammit,

Give gays a break!

Stop acting so pensive.

Give gays a break!

This shit is offensive.

Give gays a break,

You clueless fake

Or else we'll cut you up like a steak!

Give gays a break!

Give gays a break!

by Anonymousreply 65January 11, 2018 1:37 PM

[quote] Or else we'll cut you up like a steak!

And maybe stab you by mistake 🔪

Then drown you in a lake 💦

And burn you at the stake 🔥

Or shot you at your wake.. 🔫

by Anonymousreply 66January 11, 2018 1:48 PM

I swear I'm not a violent person. 😳

by Anonymousreply 67January 11, 2018 1:51 PM

RISE actually has two gay male high school aged characters in its cast. One who’s out and one who’s closeted and in denial. It’s a major story in the show. Their parts in Spring Awakening factor into the plot..

by Anonymousreply 68January 11, 2018 1:56 PM

Screenwriter: (Cant relate to being gay.)

Screenwriter: (Makes main character straight)

Screenwriter: (Creates/Keeps lgbt minor characters because we dont deserve to be the main character.)

Me: Yeah, BS. Still not watching, they'll probably mess up the remaining lgbt characs. anyway.

by Anonymousreply 69January 11, 2018 2:01 PM

That doesn't justify taking a real-life gay character and making him heterosexual while using it as a vehicle for transcult propaganda. It's saying we can only be visible if we celebrate this cult of sexist homophobic ritual mutilation.

by Anonymousreply 70January 11, 2018 2:20 PM

What a surprise.. the networks hate gays, I'm shocked!

by Anonymousreply 71January 11, 2018 7:16 PM

[Quote]It's saying we can only be visible if we celebrate this cult of sexist homophobic ritual mutilation.

QFT

by Anonymousreply 72January 11, 2018 7:37 PM

Then why did they cast him with a gay actor??

by Anonymousreply 73January 11, 2018 8:33 PM

So, everything was taken out of context. We cool, right?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74January 15, 2018 10:36 PM

But the real man wasn't gay, in a way. He didn't come out m wasn't pout, when he put on th show. he just was who he was. The tv show has lots of room to gay him up if seasons last

by Anonymousreply 75January 15, 2018 10:47 PM

Did they push trans in the book or is this something they added?

by Anonymousreply 76January 15, 2018 10:53 PM

So now it qualifies for that catch-all, "based on a true story"?

More like "biased, the same old story".

by Anonymousreply 77January 15, 2018 10:54 PM

r77 "inspired by a true story" is even more catch all.

by Anonymousreply 78January 15, 2018 10:56 PM

I'm still waiting for an "Adam & Steve" miniseries, "inspired by stories from the Old Testament".

by Anonymousreply 79January 15, 2018 11:18 PM

Someone posted this in the comments section for this story on Out.com:

[quote]So, to recap: they made a gay character straight, but it was taken out of context when we complained that a gay character was made straight? So, we were right, but wrong in being right? Makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 80January 15, 2018 11:38 PM

As R7 says, the book this show is based on is excellent, so this is very disappointing. The drama teacher brought cutting edge theatre to a blue collar school, dedicated years to the program, and making him a straight Dad and husband is an insult to the real man and his achievements.

by Anonymousreply 81January 16, 2018 1:21 AM

Perhaps Josh Radnor will come out and that will balance out their making the character straight.

by Anonymousreply 82January 16, 2018 1:27 AM

Funnily enough the "Spring Awakening" musical de-gays the original Wendekind play:

"By way of comparison, let’s take a look at the “gay scene” in Spring Awakening, the contemporary rock musical based on Frank Wedekind’s late-19th century drama about clueless teenagers in lust. In the Wedekind play, there’s a sweet, funny, moving scene in which the young students Hanschen and Ernst connect emotionally and physically. While Steven Sater’s adaptation of this scene for the musical hews closely to the original in terms of the text, the onstage encounter was directed by Michael Mayer to be played in such an over-the-top comedic way that it has become a broadly comic seduction scene, marked by coolly calculated moves on the part of the seducer and pop-eyed skittishness from his prey.

We may never know for sure why this scene has been handled in this manner, but I have a guess. Although I don’t remember any gasping, groaning, or inappropriate laughs when I saw Spring Awakening at a critics’ performance early on at the Atlantic, I imagine that the moment in question began to elicit unwanted vocal reactions when performed before general audiences — including young people — later in the Off-Broadway run and during Broadway previews. Mayer probably decided to ramp up the comedy of the scene as a pre-emptive strike: You know, “If we play this in such a way that it’s obvious we WANT the audience to laugh, it won’t be jarring when they do.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83January 16, 2018 1:28 AM

That Out.com article was ridiculous. Why isn't any one calling this asshole out on his bullshit. Where are the follow up questions? You can still make the story your own without changing the sexuality of the real person. Gay people can have families. If there was any don't what a sell out group GLAAD is, that is no longer the case. They help Star Trek kill off one of the first gay characters now they help this show degay it's main character. How can they ever talk about gay visibility in media again.

by Anonymousreply 84January 16, 2018 12:53 PM

I will ONLY forgive the producers of this show if in the second episode they have have Betty Buckley in full Margaret White drag sing, ”He will BURN you” to the main character.

by Anonymousreply 85January 16, 2018 1:03 PM

Heaven forbid a trans character should steal everything away from gay men ruining their lives forever.

Sounds like the writer was coerced to 'sanitise' his main protagonist. Spineless.

Authority figures in drama are usually celebrated as being straight. I'm disappointed.

Fuck the football too. Who cares.

by Anonymousreply 86January 16, 2018 1:09 PM

Sorry gay men. You're not victims.

You've crossed over to the other side. You are now the perpetrators of repression instead. The way you demonise women and trans people is disgusting and hypocrital.

by Anonymousreply 87January 16, 2018 1:15 PM

^^ Is this the latest version of Captain Intolerance? From a holier-than-thou Frau to outright hated of gays?

R87 have you considered transitioning?

by Anonymousreply 88January 16, 2018 1:21 PM

Trans, unlike being gay, is a choice and hetero women are privileged in ways gay men are not, R86/R87, you bigoted toad. Breeders are perverts, and gay people's lives, culture, and bodies are being destroyed because of their bigotry and stupidity. Mass media is complicit in furthering the lies that heterosexuality is anything other than a menace to society.

You should consider transitioning…from living to dead.

by Anonymousreply 89January 16, 2018 1:24 PM

[quote]Trans, unlike being gay, is a choice

Well, that is just patently untrue.

Not a fan of trans, but even less of a fan of liars.

by Anonymousreply 90January 16, 2018 1:30 PM

Mutilating your body and changing your name to conform to sexual stereotypes of the opposite sex is a choice. But a man will never be female no matter what.

by Anonymousreply 91January 16, 2018 1:32 PM

Only a bigot supports allowing men invading women-only spaces and vice versa.

by Anonymousreply 92January 16, 2018 1:33 PM

Sucking cock is also a choice.

by Anonymousreply 93January 16, 2018 1:34 PM

Bryan Fuller ain’t having it

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94January 16, 2018 1:36 PM

I like Bryan Fuller but I don't remember any of his shows having a gay lead character.

by Anonymousreply 95January 16, 2018 1:45 PM

Interesting reading the Out.com article about the producers response. If you check out articles about the "producers clarification" on The Hollywood Report, Indiewire and other media outlets, the articles are almost written the same across the board.

It seems to me that NBC's PR team did a full court press on the media outlets that reported the straight-washing story and probably threaten to cut off access to their shows & stars if they didn't print the producers response.

by Anonymousreply 96January 16, 2018 1:45 PM

Jason Katims has a poor track recording regarding gay characters. On Friday Night Lights, the gay characters were bit or secondary/recurring characters, and on Parenthood, Peter Krause's daughter brought home a college girlfriend for ONE EPISODE. Seriously, it was only mentioned in one episode.

by Anonymousreply 97January 16, 2018 1:46 PM

recording = record

by Anonymousreply 98January 16, 2018 1:48 PM

R95 Didnt he reveal that some gay characters he made got straight-washed too? And apparently got threatened or sth??

by Anonymousreply 99January 16, 2018 1:48 PM

Heteros have enough crap to pander to their bad taste without de-gaying real world gay people. It's 2017.

by Anonymousreply 100January 16, 2018 1:53 PM

[quote] That Out.com article was ridiculous. Why isn't any one calling this asshole out on his bullshit. Where are the follow up questions? You can still make the story your own without changing the sexuality of the real person. Gay people can have families. If there was any don't what a sell out group GLAAD is, that is no longer the case. They help Star Trek kill off one of the first gay characters now they help this show degay it's main character. How can they ever talk about gay visibility in media again.

I suspected they were starting to turn on us. Even at the turn of the century they still cared about deplatforming anti-gay bigots like Dr. Laura and Eminem. Now they're enabling them. Chastity Bono's grotesque self-mutilation and denial of her lesbian self should have been the last straw. I can barely listen to Cher anymore after that.

by Anonymousreply 101January 16, 2018 1:54 PM

R100 It's 2018 lol 😂

by Anonymousreply 102January 16, 2018 1:55 PM

We should all just stab GLAAD!!!

by Anonymousreply 103January 16, 2018 1:56 PM

ABC had more and better gays.

by Anonymousreply 104January 16, 2018 1:56 PM

[quote] We should all just stab GLAAD!!!

Glaadly.

by Anonymousreply 105January 16, 2018 1:57 PM

[quote]That Out.com article was ridiculous. Why isn't any one calling this asshole out on his bullshit.

Because the trans character has pacified them.

by Anonymousreply 106January 16, 2018 1:57 PM

Gay men are adults. We don't need pacifiers. But we do owe the next generations of gays a better future than our past.

by Anonymousreply 107January 16, 2018 2:35 PM

[quote]Because the trans character has pacified them.

Yup. GLAAD is a total joke and doesn't really care about gay representation anymore.

by Anonymousreply 108January 16, 2018 3:04 PM

Why do they always de-gay the gay male characters but never the lesbians?

by Anonymousreply 109January 16, 2018 3:11 PM

I happened to work on this piece of crap show for a brief period of time. It was a total shit show and the acting from the principal cast was appalling. They filmed one scene late last year where Josh Radnor's character was trying to give some pep talk to the high school football captain. It sounded like his dialogue with NPH in The Paris Letter. The gay leaps out from the surface of Radnor, even if people like Katmis try to repress it due to their own internal homophobia.

Also important to note is that NBC cut the season order mid production, so clearly they don't have much faith that this is going to last very long. They got burned by Smash and, with this scandal as just one knock against it, they will get burned again and cancel this show after a few episodes. We won't be seeing any musical shows like this for a while after due to the stench and honestly, that's not such a bad thing. Some more time needs to pass and there should be some fresher voices taking a crack at it when the concept is tried again.

by Anonymousreply 110January 16, 2018 3:27 PM

R109 I KNOW! I'm so sick of it! Ugh, if I have a capacity to vomit 1 liter everytime a gay male character gets de-gayed, I'd have 50 gallons.

by Anonymousreply 111January 16, 2018 4:10 PM

Scratch that, make it 500 gallons!!

by Anonymousreply 112January 16, 2018 4:12 PM

Right now, the only show i could think about that doesnt include de-gayed characters is How To Get Away With Murder.

by Anonymousreply 113January 16, 2018 4:14 PM

GLAAD is run almost entirely by "lesbian" trans women (autogynehiles), now. It's no surprise they don't care about gay men or their stories, They spent most of their lives as straight men after all.

by Anonymousreply 114January 16, 2018 5:19 PM

[quote]Scratch that, make it 500 gallons!!

Oh, no r112. Just no.

by Anonymousreply 115January 16, 2018 5:22 PM

Pretty weak excuse. I’ve never had an issue ‘relating’ to straight characters I’ve played. If it’s the family aspect he wanted to ‘lean’ into why not make it a gay family? Sucks bc this sounds like a fun show 👎

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116January 17, 2018 2:16 AM

Yay!! Tell 'em Matt! 😺

by Anonymousreply 117January 17, 2018 3:00 AM

Boycott, boycott.

by Anonymousreply 118January 17, 2018 3:01 AM

Why do networks keep making poor decisions by spending millions on “fame” rip offs that always fail and alienate the one audience (gays) that would otherwise possibly keep it afloat?

by Anonymousreply 119January 17, 2018 12:38 PM

[quote]It seems to me that NBC's PR team did a full court press on the media outlets that reported the straight-washing story and probably threaten to cut off access to their shows & stars if they didn't print the producers response.

This is NBC standard M.O. to do this r96 and they have done it before and probably will do it again in the future.

by Anonymousreply 120January 17, 2018 6:08 PM

Feels like 1982 all over again when NBC degayed Montgomery for the TV version of FAME. My, we've come far, haven't we?

by Anonymousreply 121January 18, 2018 1:39 AM

Don't nuke North Korea, nuke straight men.

by Anonymousreply 122January 23, 2018 9:50 PM

You can start boycotting by downvoting these videos to then not buy the tickets.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123January 23, 2018 10:06 PM

"From the producer of HAMILTON"

Now you know why I hate that show and the sheep who idolize it.

by Anonymousreply 124January 23, 2018 10:07 PM

R123 I already have.

by Anonymousreply 125January 23, 2018 11:20 PM

This show is the biggest trainwreck on NBC since [italic]Supertrain[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 126January 23, 2018 11:23 PM

That's great and everybody here should go and downvote the video :) R125

by Anonymousreply 127January 23, 2018 11:35 PM

I already did.

by Anonymousreply 128January 23, 2018 11:37 PM

This is even sadder coming from a guy who literally wrote with Winnie Holzman the first openly gay teen regular on network television (Rickie Vasquez on My so-called Life).

by Anonymousreply 129January 24, 2018 12:25 AM

They're sellouts, R129.

by Anonymousreply 130January 24, 2018 12:28 AM

The closet wins again.

by Anonymousreply 131January 24, 2018 2:22 AM

Gays don’t care.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132January 24, 2018 2:27 AM

Off topic, just want to say, Muriel, if these ads from realjock, that I always get for a few weeks, and I have read that other dlers get them as well all the time, don't stop, I will not return to dl anymore. I have come here for six years but I will not return, just hang out a few minutes sometimes and that's it. The pics one can turn off in the settings, but not these ads.

Don't know if there is anything more to it than just making money, maybe also driving away trolls, but it certainly will get many of the few moral or educated posters left, and I guess also many lesbians, away from dl. I think most dlers get these ads.

by Anonymousreply 133January 24, 2018 2:38 AM

r133 = lezzie

by Anonymousreply 134January 24, 2018 3:49 PM

R133, do you know how to install an ad-blocker on your browser.

by Anonymousreply 135January 24, 2018 3:53 PM

r135 Nah, she'd rather attack gay male websites for doing business with each other.

If this results in lesbians leaving DL, then I'm all for it. I've never liked the idea of women, gay or straight, posting here, and if lesbians think that these ads, which are wholly SFW, offend all people who are "moral or educated" just because they show off handsome men, then that just goes to show that they share the same toxic attitudes towards male homosexuality as straight people, and should therefore be kept out of gay spaces. Imagine if gay men started to attack a lesbian forum for displaying ads that appeal to lesbians. You'll never see this but if it happened, we all know how that would end - with probably some thinkpiece on some prominent liberal website telling gay men to check their male privilege and stop being such juvenile misogynists.

If DL is showing these ads, it's only because it's gay men's clicks and money that sustain this website. This has always been the case. If you don't like it, leave it. And if you stay, stop FF'ing our sexual and homoerotic threads. You don't have a right to punish gay men for talking about themselves in our own spaces.

by Anonymousreply 136January 24, 2018 5:02 PM

Oh, and just one more thing, r133...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137January 24, 2018 5:03 PM

R5 get over your childish self.

by Anonymousreply 138January 24, 2018 9:31 PM

Will & Grace has plenty of gay characters. Stop your whining!

by Anonymousreply 139January 24, 2018 9:35 PM

R137 I'm pretty convinced there's a lot more lesbians than you think that enjoys gay male porn. I saw a reddit thread once about porn preferences(I really tried to find it again, but I cant lol) and someone commented gay porn and its literally the Most-Liked comment. They say they felt lesbian porn was mostly fake.

by Anonymousreply 140January 24, 2018 11:34 PM

It's a subreddit for lesbians (if its not clear)

by Anonymousreply 141January 24, 2018 11:36 PM

[bold] ATTENTION!!

[/bold] The youtube channel deleted their first trailer mentioned above(probably becaise of the feedback). They have reuploaded a new trailer:

Now dislike this new trailer again so this show can be deleted from existence!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142February 10, 2018 8:13 AM

They're debuting the pilot right after an episode of This Is Us, so I guess they have somewhat high hopes.

by Anonymousreply 143February 11, 2018 5:24 AM

Already disliked R142

Hope the rest does it too.

by Anonymousreply 144February 11, 2018 5:39 AM

I dunno, Friday Night Lights was a great show, and I trust those producers to make something interesting.

by Anonymousreply 145February 11, 2018 6:01 AM

They even made the main couple(I assume) heterosexual. The gay character would probably just get 3 minutes per episode worth of screentime.

by Anonymousreply 146February 11, 2018 8:35 AM

r146 And he's probably going to be an angsty celibate who's too focused on his own inner torment to pursue any relationships while his straight friends get pussy and dick right and left.

by Anonymousreply 147February 11, 2018 9:06 AM

i avoid anything rosie perez is in

that voice and attitude

ouch

by Anonymousreply 148February 11, 2018 9:10 AM

C+ for the entire first season from the AV Club.

Definitely skipping this one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149March 13, 2018 6:56 PM

[quote]This is even sadder coming from a guy who literally wrote with Winnie Holzman the first openly gay teen regular on network television (Rickie Vasquez on My so-called Life).

And Mr Katimski, the gay teacher, though it was not made clear if he was openly so.

by Anonymousreply 150March 13, 2018 7:05 PM

[quote]Can high schools even license "Spring Awakening"?

They are/were planning on doing it at Majory Stoneman Douglas HS in Parkland, FL. That hottie Cameron Kasky was in rehearsal for it before the shooting took place. Don’t know if they (or he) are still planning on doing it.

I think he’s one of us.

by Anonymousreply 151March 13, 2018 8:19 PM

There are lots of gay characters on TV, but I guess having an openly gay male high school teacher is still verboten. And sadly, maybe that's still true in real life, except maybe in places like NYC.

by Anonymousreply 152March 13, 2018 9:15 PM

Check out Katims' bitchy comments when questioned about this straightwashing:

[quote]Even the way you just said it was a jumping-off point, one of the things I was thinking about as I was reading …

[quote]I don’t want to answer any more questions on this subject. I responded to it. I would like to talk about the show. I don’t want to get more into the subject.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153March 13, 2018 9:33 PM

r153 Deplorable! I hope this bombs completely.

Also, remaining composed at all times and not saying "I don’t want to answer any more questions on this subject" even if interviewed by a journo from hell is literally PR 101 when plugging your show on the circuit. The higher-ups at the NBC must have been cringing their asses off, reading this interview. Just horrible publicity. Send the bitch packing back to Brooklyn whence it came.

by Anonymousreply 154March 13, 2018 9:56 PM

R151, I’m assuming Cameron will be naked in this production? Road trip!

by Anonymousreply 155March 13, 2018 9:59 PM

I dont understand this Katims guy, it seems like he's one of those people who likes stirring a hell of a shitstorm and then becomes upset when he gets flooded with the shit he created.

Only straight girls who are FAKE ALLIES will watch this.

by Anonymousreply 156March 13, 2018 10:11 PM

[bold] I'M GONNA MAKE EVERYONE ON THIS SHOW STRAIGHT EXCEPT FOR THE QUIRKY GAY BESTFRIEND!! [/bold]

Now, stop bothering me, queers!

by Anonymousreply 157March 13, 2018 10:14 PM

I hope that this and the Roseanne reboot are epic flops, but like the American Idol reboot, they will probably both be successes.

by Anonymousreply 158March 13, 2018 10:21 PM

I work in tv. He's a well known douchebag. None of the surprises me.

by Anonymousreply 159March 13, 2018 10:48 PM

This is what happens when hets tell our stories.

by Anonymousreply 160March 14, 2018 1:57 AM

I love Spring Awakening, but oh, how mediocre this show appears to be.

by Anonymousreply 161March 15, 2018 1:44 AM

The lead girl certainly can sing. I’m also looking forward to hearing The Guilty Ones and Don't Do Sadness/Blue Wind.

What’s the deal with the teacher’s son? Just an alcoholic or drinking because he’s gay and closeted?

by Anonymousreply 162March 15, 2018 2:56 AM

Is the alkie son supposed to be in high school, too? The same one where the father teaches? I couldn't tell if he was supposed to be HS age or older.

by Anonymousreply 163March 15, 2018 3:20 AM

I really enjoyed this show, much more than I thought I would. I think it'll get better in future episodes, since the table-setting and character intros are over with. Very reminiscent of FNL, which was a great show.

by Anonymousreply 164March 15, 2018 4:57 AM

Watching it, there was absolutely no reason that he needed to be straight.

by Anonymousreply 165March 15, 2018 5:46 AM

R164 Shame on you for supporting this show. There's ABSOLUTELY NO excuse for their horrible decision to straightwash the character

by Anonymousreply 166March 15, 2018 6:53 AM

R165 - there is no guarantee he is straight. The teacher who this is based on was married for almost 20 years. Maybe they are just playing with the timeline a bit.

by Anonymousreply 167March 15, 2018 10:18 AM

Breaking news! Gay men get flustered again.

Dear Mary, this is a common device used to draw in audiences that wouldn't ordinarily relate to a minority show. The focus of the show later shifts to unconventional leads. The straight white guy is the audience stand in and in smart shows can serve as a mirror for societies more subtle prejudices. See any Jenji Kohan interview regarding how OITNB. So slow your roll. And just remember that network would not have greenlit this show with an out gay lead.

To quote that great philosopher of our age Jordan Sparks, "one step at a time".

by Anonymousreply 168March 15, 2018 10:50 AM

I believe that the issue is that we want to see ourselves represented as we see ourselves. We want to be validated and celebrated in the media, instead of portrayed as angst-ridden in stories about coming out, which is hackneyed, or about AIDS or having gay characters simply be there as the court jester. Katims' intention to change the character to straight may not have been out of blatant homophobia. He did, however, apparently start his very first meeting with Lou Volpe by warning him that the character based on him would be straight, so he must have known that it would be a point of contention. The change doesn't feel genuine. There was an opportunity here to show the story of an inspiring gay man. THAT is the story, we want to see. That is compelling. Instead he's changed the authority figure to straight and relegated the gay characters to kids and secondary characters and added a mosaic of minorities and differently abled people, which is cliche. Yet again, an opportunity has been missed. I don't believe for one second that the lead character will eventually come out as gay like Lou Volpe did, and I'd be willing to bet that the show would never have been green-lit with a gay high school teacher as its lead character. The story being told here is simply not the story that I want to see. So fuck Jason Katims and those other Hamilton producers. Fuck GLAAD and fuck NBC.

by Anonymousreply 169March 16, 2018 4:27 PM

Honestly glad that I didnt watch the pilot on tv(so they cant get ratings).

At least the show itself is bad and boring, so we dont have to worry about it succeeding. It also has several bad reviews

by Anonymousreply 170March 16, 2018 7:03 PM

[quote]Honestly glad that I didnt watch the pilot on tv(so they cant get ratings).

Unless you're a Nielsen family, what you watch or don't watch, and where you watch have no effect on the ratings.

by Anonymousreply 171March 16, 2018 9:49 PM

"To quote that great philosopher of our age Jordan Sparks, "one step at a time".

This seems to sum you up quite nicely.

by Anonymousreply 172March 17, 2018 3:17 AM

I'm alarmed that Vulture.com thinks that "adaption" is a word.

by Anonymousreply 173March 17, 2018 4:15 AM

It's in the dictionary R173

It's just another word for adaptation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174March 17, 2018 4:23 AM

CANCELED, bitches!!!

by Anonymousreply 175May 11, 2018 11:12 PM

Not a loss. It could have been decent but it was aggressively mediocre.

by Anonymousreply 176May 11, 2018 11:15 PM

Sweet!

Jason Katims was a total asshole about the whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 177May 11, 2018 11:20 PM

R168 could you give an example of when this happened in the past? When the focus of a show later "shifted" to "unconventional leads"? When such a shift involved LGBT characters?

by Anonymousreply 178May 11, 2018 11:27 PM

Thank god. R175

by Anonymousreply 179May 11, 2018 11:29 PM

Yet, Fox is now bringing back Tim Allen's cancelled show.

by Anonymousreply 180May 11, 2018 11:38 PM

Lol they tried their best to cover up their tracks(they deleted A LOT of them). Still did not work 😂

by Anonymousreply 181May 12, 2018 12:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!